Designers » F-H » Oriental « Groups

dislike

almond
tobacco
Tonka Imperiale Guerlain for women and men Pictures

Tonka Imperiale was presented in 2010 as the 7th fragrance of Guerlain's line L’Art et la Matière. Creator of the fragrance is Thierry Wasser, and the key ingredient is tonka. This composition encompasses tonka, rosemary, spices, white honey, vanilla, almond, woody notes, amber and tobacco. Available as 75ml edp.

Bergamot Bitter Almond Rosemary

Jasmine Tonka Bean Tobacco

Incense Cedar Pine

Tonka Imperiale Fragrance Reviews

kingdanny4754
kingdanny4754

Smells like fall and winter in a bottle. I get like a gingerbread smell to this very sexy and yummy. I love it will get a full bottle soon. I can't believe people compared pure havane to this, they smell nothing alike. I was putting off a sample of this because people said they were similar boy they was wrong.

kay0981
kay0981

Another brilliant fragrance from Guerlain! Tonka Imperiale stole my heart right from the first spritz.. It's lusciously rich, sophisticated, elegant, and it definitely makes a statement. This is a kind of perfume you'd wear if you want to be noticed – its beauty and boldness are hard to ignore!

This composition is based primarily on warm accords of sweet almonds and spicy tonka bean, enriched with fragrant tobacco and smoky incense. It's a truly unique and intoxicating combination of bold aromas, beautifully balanced and blended to perfection... I can also detect a faint herbal undertone, possibly from the rosemary. I'm a little surprised that there isn't a vanilla note listed here, because the drydown brings forward something that smells very much like soft, creamy vanilla – the familiar Guerlain-esque elegance and oriental charm, but with a nice modern edge. And although Tonka Imperiale is not strictly a gourmand fragrance, the dominant almond note smells deliciously voluptuous, resembling sweet cinnamon and toasted, honey-glazed nuts.

Tonka Imperiale has a fantastic projection and longevity, and truly upholds the status of the house Guerlain in terms of quality. It's a beautiful fragrance which offers a wide range of contrasting accords; both sweet and spicy, carrying incredible elegance and sophistication. If you can get your hands on it – go for it! It's a little too expensive for me, but thanks to a lovely Fragrantican I have a little sample of it, and I treasure it dearly <3
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

seekritdude
seekritdude

It would seem im in the minority here reading the reviews but this is pretty linear on my skin. And the main notes I get are just cherry and almond. So much cherry in fact its shocking to me its not on the note list. Almost everything else is a aftertaste at best. When it dries down and becomes more of a skin scent I do get more of the honey, tobacco, vanilla. I actually dont get a lot of tonka in this off hand, but what I do is nice. I think tonka in a lot of other frags has a potential to smell kinda funky and is better for someone smelling you than the wearer. But there was no funk to this what so ever. And it was pleasant throughout. On paper I get more of the cookie, nuttyness, and chewyness that is lost on my skin as the cherry and almond that overwhelm my nose. Projection is only ok, but 12 hours of longevity is possible so thats nice.

I like it and if anything im always looking for a nice fragrance that has a cherry smell. I do get compliments on it. But that being said I personally didnt find this particularly snuggly like others, and it never brought that smile to my face, or made me think to myself "man I smell fucking good today" lol So its hard to see me paying hundreads of dollars for this.

keiti
keiti

Loving the overall mood of this perfume, very comforting yet elegantly ladylike. It reminds me of SL Bois Vanille in many ways, I guess its the mix of almond, tonka and vanilla that does it.. actually, sometimes I get whiffs that are exactly the same. Still, with Tonka Imperiale I get loads more almond from start to finish whereas with SL I can't really distinguish it that much. Because that makes such a difference, they both have room on my shelf. I just like perfumes of this sort, deep, rich, foody - but not yucky and sugary - and undenyably bursting with quality materials that linger and linger. They never fail to lift my spirits!

HyacinthBucket
HyacinthBucket

I like Tonka Imperiale very much however I expect more complexity from Guerlain. This would make a very nice, upscale celebrity scent but it's not worthy of the name Guerlain. Definitely not worth $250 a bottle.

serchina
serchina

Tonka Imperiale is the one so-called oriental "gourmand" -due to the almond- that is really elegand and lady-like at the same time. The sweetness has a soft balance that makes it wearable. The tonka bean, almond and tobacco have a perfect role in this fragrance that make it a well combination right on the nose. This is a pure perfection gourmand and not gourmand at the same time :) A masterpiece..

incrediblemelk
incrediblemelk

A lot of the fragrances I like have tonka bean in them and people attribute it a sweetness and creaminess, so I wanted to see what a tonka-focused perfume smelled like.

I can't place the smell really: it's nutty and biscuity and sweet like honey and vanilla. Not sure I'd wear this perfume by itself. Perhaps I do prefer tonka as a supporting player – a character actor – rather than in a leading role.

thomasrainy
thomasrainy

Such a well balanced and sophisticated masterpiece! It was a huge surprise for me when I sniffed it. It is fairly sweet however the tobacco and spices are balancing against it. I would say that the quality is quite great although for that price I would buy an another niche scent rather than this. It could be a great choice for the Advent period and Christmas! :)

naht
naht

I wanna purchase a full bottle (my b-day is coming), if anyone have it please let me know! NIB or used, I don't mind!

farang
farang

This is a beautiful fragrance of tonka, almonds, honey, vanilla. But (sweet) gourmands are not my cup of tea, so I'll pass.

mippymuppett
mippymuppett

Right off the bat this scent is gorgeous!!! Tonka takes center stage while everything else complements and nothing else competes!!! Full bottle worthy?? My Lord yes!!! I know the price is crazy but worth every penny. This is rich, sophisticated and elegant. The notes blend beautifully together. To me this is dry...dry...dry and I love it!!! The rosemary and spices are gorgeous with the tobacco, honey and woods swirling around in the background. Guerlain - You are killing my wallet!!!!

Youssef_Maggi
Youssef_Maggi

heaven on earth, i love this perfume!!!

hod

not similar to pure havane. pure havane is way too sweet in my opinion. they share a tobacco note but that's it.
this is way more balanced and way more well composed.

amer1212
amer1212

Oh my god .....what is this scent...luxury...elegant...charismatic...sweet...sensual...very sexy for me....its begin balmy herbaly i can smell the bergamot&rosemary with jasmine &tonka powdery touch with tobacco& more vanilla incense with little cedar in the base .....the notes like a Beethoven Symphony playing together with guerlain style !!!.... i say for Tonka ipmeriale its not just a scent its a french romantic ART....just for romantic date not for Another occasion in my opinion ....longevity & sillage its perfect but is expensive .
Thiery wasser you well done again and made a unisex MASTERPIECE and i see it on men skin better than women skin cuz the tobacco note in my opinion ! but any way for Tonka imperiale 10/10.
I love this french romantic guerlain style.

silviosqa
silviosqa

HI people,

I'm from Brazil and my name is Silvio.

Somebody could send me a link to buy the Tonka Imperiale of Any store that delivery in Brazil.

Thank very much.

kazewayz
kazewayz

To me this resembled Rochas for man but better quality. It's very sweet, with some cherry in there, as well as some almond in there mixed with powder. Too sweet for my taste. This can go well if mixed with a leathery scent or some lime accord, to give it a manlier take. To me it will suit a woman better. Well done fragrance nevertheless. Try it.

dmoman
dmoman

Opens up like pure havane but then turns a different direction as it turns smekey and almondy but the sweetness reminds me of pure havane so its hard to fork over 275-300 bucks while you can get pure havane for $70. However its much more smooth in transition as it goes into drydown so maybe you can justify if you are willing to pay that much for quality. I can't lie I thought of buying it but you know...that's a lot of dough.

hod

a masterpiece. smells very, very,very GOOD. delicious,sexy,elegant,luxurious..
everything!
very expensive but WORTH the price!
sillage,projection and longevity are all beast mode!

shuhlann
shuhlann

I really wanted to like or (preferably) love this fragrance. Obviously, this is were we are all different. My nose cannot detect vanilla here, which is what I want. It immediately reminded me of cheap shaving cream. Like Barbasol.

mwallwork
mwallwork

Tonka Imperiale. It has been my pleasure to be a lover of tonka bean based fragrances for many years. Even when I was unaware of the tonka bean in a loved fragrance, I was captured by The Bean. This Guerlain selection is a tonka bean star from the beginning. Other supporting cast member recite their lines to complete the story, but The Bean is queen.

The opening act is a floral tonka trio with a lighthanded jasmine and a kiss of sweet tobacco - the cured, unsmoked leaf. Bergamot is submerged by the sugar in this composition - present, but hidden by a scrim.

Almond is present to my nose, but is not even the ingenue in this performance. Cedar and incense join the troupe in the dry down to contribute a wisp of smoke and the savor of an aromatic wood.

My No's: no rosemary, no pine.
A favorite - no doubt.

Marco Chau
Marco Chau

A delicious fragrance like enjoying marzipan, sipping butterscotch and smoking the best of tobacco in the library after a fulfilling dinner. A fragrance to love and be loved by anyone who likes sweets and tobacco. I chose this one over all other L'Art & La Matiere fragrances including Rose Barbare, the rose I love, and Spiritueuse Double Vanille.

papelet
papelet

Definitely a masterpiece!
Many excellent reviews of this piece of art which is why I am not adding another one.
I just wish it last longer on my skin, no compliments yet, no one has asked about it. I did ask my sister what she thought about it and all she said was: smells good but too light

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

Vanilla, creamy, almondy, all those adjectives that olfactory dessert, which must be done by a chef of any royalty, where revenue is maintained at 7 keys, but only Wasser must have had access and ingeniously turned into perfume.
The tonka bean with almond touch this with a very slight bitter nuance, is sublime, a touch of tobacco to close it, I feel something very discreet smoky, finally, a daydream olfactory.

PolarBear2
PolarBear2

This fragrance is for sophisticated people. It smells a bit sweet at the start, but keep your hopes high. In a little while it evolves into something elegant and sensual. This is not just for gourmands. I am not a gourmand but this one gets my vote !

pure_dreamer
pure_dreamer

This stuff is amazing reminds me of an English bakewell tart ....

smell that and you will have rough idea what this smells like...

Must be the bitter almond. Bakewell tarts have a lot of almonds and sugar too

Tonka Imperiale by Guerlain is a scent that will certainly appeal to those with sweet tastes, especially those that enjoy wearing gourmands. I'm used to smelling tonka bean when paired with vanilla, but in this particular composition it stands on its own two feet, although it smells a little drier than I expected it to be.

First things first, (although not a complete replicate), Tonka Imperiale does remind me of Joop! Homme. I think both of them smell fantastic, so it's no negative remark. They're both on the sweet-masculine side of the fence.

This fragrance is both herbal and sweet to my nose. The opening is a unique blend of bitter almond, tonka bean, rosemary and powdery jasmine. The almond really adds to the delicious nutty texture when blended with the tonka bean, and for once I'm thankful that vanilla is absent in this composition.

Like most Guerlain fragrances, Tonka Imperiale has a rather dominating presence. It tends to cloud you in a heavy aroma of delectable warmth. I thought this fragrance would be a sure crowd pleaser, but unfortunately my boyfriend isn't a big fan of this fragrance on my skin, nor is his best friend, who claimed that Tonka Imperiale makes him want to sneeze. I perhaps should have chosen a different fragrance for that dinner outing.

Tonka Imperiale is quite an elegant and sophisticated fragrance, and although marketed to both sexes, (I may be unpopular in saying this), I think it would ultimately smell better on a man's skin. The rich and smoky drydown, made up of tobacco, cedar and pine, carries with it quite a strong masculine vibe.

I love smelling Tonka Imperiale radiating from my skin during the cool weather, however the thought of wearing it during Spring and Summer is enough to turn my stomach. This fragrance is also one to be applied sparingly, as it can be a tad overwhelming at times. As I've also experienced, it does make people sneeze.

unregistered
unregistered

Warm almond gourmand lingers forever on clothes. Bittersweet herbaceous notes keep it from becoming too candylike. Tonka bean is coumarin sweet rather than vanillic sweet, so it's not too dessert-like. Really delightful but very expensive. One of my more-complimented scents, as it's not a ubiquitous fruity floral and has a tasty sillage. I first tried this when I came to Neiman Marcus hoping to test the just-released Prada Candy, and the SA suggested I try this Guerlain exclusive instead. What a tease!

candymarie
candymarie

I was going to attempt a review, but I can't imagine a better one than Kamicha's below. Rarely does anyone capture the essence of a perfume so perfectly in words. (insert clapping emoticon here)

pynkgirl
pynkgirl

This is very edible! wow! I see this more for colder months but it's great!

Kamicha
Kamicha

This is beautiful, understated gourmand oriental, painted with delicate watercolor strokes.

Sweet - definitely, but the gentle bite of green herbs and bitterness of almonds balance it beautifully. There is somehow moist feel in this one - but I'm not saying this is aquatic *shudders*. Tobacco blends in seamlessly. Rather linear, but time reveals the warm ambery base and velvety red wood tones. Feels absolutely natural and comforting, but does not exactly envelope the wearer. Sheer, definitely sheer.

Excellent lasting power - but very polite sillage. Gourmand for work - yep, try this one.

kl99
kl99

pure confectionery.
sticky. good for caries fans.

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

This opens up with a marzipan glazed honey accord and is quite sweet. After this opening I am picking up a big dose of rosemary and its starting to smell strongly of almonds.

The fragrance is very sugary and reminds me of white chocolate or the icing on a fancy cake.

This fragrance is beautiful but just to feminine for me to pull off. Would smell great on a lady though.

cacraine
cacraine

This smelled like a smokey incense laden campfire on me...not that it was a bad smell...just not one that I am accustomed to.

misskaylapaige
misskaylapaige

For me the strongest note is the almond - it gives it a cherry-like flavor. The tonka, honey, and vanilla blend nicely... it's almost like a very nice vanilla bean ice cream with a cherry on top... and then the tobacco and spice notes bottom it out, giving it a lot of extra depth that I think is the most important part of the fragrance.. without the tobacco it would just be a normal sweet gourmand.

I definitely like it but for the price I'll be sticking to my decant.

Sweet almond, plasticky tonka bean, green pine, tobacco, medicinal bitterness. This combination did not work for me and the bitterness really turned me off. If I could detect more vanilla and some floral accord, it would be nice, but none were found. Nothing that's smokey either. Sadly, this masterpiece is not my cuppa tea at all, and it won't be included in my collection. On the plus side, I save money to buy something else. :)

floof
floof

Beautifully deep and rich, this lasts forever (over 24 hours on me!) and is very wearable. It is a beautiful tonka bean, with an almond smelling start. As a matter of fact, this is the longest lasting perfume I have tried. I can see why people call this HG material, out of my hundreds of fragrances, this one still stands out.

JToronto
JToronto

There's a famous quote from another perfumier that when he used vanilla he only got creme brule, while Guerlain got Shalimar. I guess Guerlain wanted both, because this fragrance is totally creme brule to me. It starts off a bit interesting with some bitterness in the vanilla, but for me the drydown is all burnt sugar. Not unpleasant but not for me.

ahnafuz
ahnafuz

a very nice perfume. i tried its EDP , very nice. but is the price really justified?!

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

My first reaction on opening up the sample vial was, Ooooh … I like this! It’s a rich, spicy, incense-y coumarin scent with just a touch of toasted almond biscotti. I don’t really smell much of the rosemary or spices, but they do contribute subtly to the overall composition. I found that it stayed fairly linear with just the right amount of sillage, and lasted well, about 6-8 hours.

I would characterize this as a gourmand incense, and it is indeed an excellent one. Beautifully blended, with moderate sillage and longevity, this is a scent that I could wear on a regular basis. A real winner!

darkbeauty
darkbeauty

OMG!

Thank you Tigerlillian!

This is gourmand perfection! And I have no words to satisfy the description this masterpiece deserves.
It is such a beautifully blended piece of art. I smell hints of every note listed, and they never once compete for dominance against its namesake.

I'm WOWed!

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

I was soooooo scared to test this on myself. I have a small sample vial and right on opening it I fell in love--way too extravagant for me to spend money on an entire bottle if I had to have it.

Honeyed hay from the tonka in perfect harmony with clarifying rosemary was such a divine opening for me.

As it warmed up, the vanilla made its gourmand appearance and married well with gently warm spices and the bitter creaminess of almond.

The sweetness lingers on... warm, cozy and smoking with a thick wisp of tobacco and glowing amber.

Alas the sharp clarity of rosemary departed leaving an incredibly complex honeyed gourmand.

With that I decided that the drydown was a little too sweet for me to adopt this as a signature--the only reason why I'd spend so much for a full bottle. Absolutely superb nonetheless and I will savor every drop of my sample.

southernbelleinseattle
southernbelleinseattle

I was so disappointed with this. Truthfully, all I smell in this is incense and bug spray. it's very strong. I can't catch any honey or vanilla, or chai spice latte as it is supposed to have :-(. It's very cloying, even just a little of it, and smells like such a synthetic chemical. every time I try it I can't scrub it off fast enough. I had my husband smell it and he couldn't stand it either :-(. I had hoped that when winter came, the smell would work better, but I can't get over the incense steeped in chemically bug spray, sorry :-(

arg1971
arg1971

Have not tried this one yet but based on the few reviews sounds delicious. I'm a oriental fan of perfumes and anything with the hint of vanilla pretty much has me sold.

celina
celina

Notes: Bergamot, rosemary, tonka bean, honey, spices, almond, jasmine, vanilla, cedar, pine, incense, tobacco and amber.

This is a tonka concerto played on the traditional Guerlain base. There is a modern twist added: the gourmand tones with bittersweet almond and a touch of hypnotic coumarin. The other notes are coming as nuances, balancing the tonka’s evolution.

Tonka is a fantastic note, actually I would consider it more of a full tone with combined aromatic, slightly herbaceous and spicy reminisces of vanilla, almonds, cinnamon, cloves and tobacco. Maybe a whisper of incense as well?

First, the almond note comes in, rich and bitterish, followed by the woody rosemary. The sweet side is paired with honey and tobacco. It may sound overwhelming but this is a vanilla comfort scent, close relative of Spiritueuse Double Vanille.
Very well balanced with woody and spicy notes. The amber keeps the dry down close to the skin and brings a sensuous touch.

Lovely and dreamy. I wish it was less expensive.

delphine67
delphine67

oWW WHAT A LOVELY SWEET TONKA SCENT.
it is a beautiful perfume.Gourmand and very sophisticated.Its a warm and cozy scent the tonka with the honey blend very well on my skin.dry down with vanilla.
If you love sweet fumes you must try this one out

9154mf
9154mf

Oh such delightful tonka heaven! I love this, and I knew I would because I am a gourmand lover, but this is more than just gourmand. It has the warmth of an oriental and a hint of spice, while still managing to be sophisticated and yummy at the same time. I don't smell much almond or rosemary at all personally. The main notes for me are the tonka, honey and tobacco spices. This is sooo beautiful!

jae
jae

I just sampled this and my conclusion was: THIS is why I let The One for Men go.. This is much better by a LONG shot. It's slightly more sweet with better sillage. There isn't more to be said, really. I just wish that it wasn't as difficult to find as it is.... This is definitely worth hunting for. It seems that these French parfumeurs have been stealing me away from my Italian preference.....

Kterhark
Kterhark

Yea, this is in the database. I recieved my sample the week it hit the market, as I was so excited to try the latest A and M addition.

This wears like most in this line; it has sharp, crisp, high quality notes that last and last on the skin.

That said, you really need to like what lasts. Tonka is a sweeter base note, and here it is amplified by honey and almond. Personally I would have left the almond out, as it has that 'cookie breath' thing going on which is just too sickening for me.

I thought the tobacco was a nice addition, but the dry anchor it provides is not enough to overcome the almond-like pastiness.

I forwarded my sample on to a fellow Guerlain lover (hopefully she'll add her review here!) She leans more towards the gourmand scents and really liked this one. That is probably the key to whether or not you'll enjoy it yourself.

Tonka Imperiale by Guerlain 4.51 out of 5 based on 524 ratings and 48 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Tonka Imperiale fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Guerlain Tonka Imperiale, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Tonka Imperiale by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Tonka Imperiale by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.