Designers » F-H » Woody Aromatic « Groups

Vetiver Guerlain for men

Vetiver Guerlain for men
dislike

I have it: 1536 I had it: 445 I want it: 1008 My signature: 53

Vetiver Guerlain for men Pictures Vetiver Guerlain for men Pictures Vetiver Guerlain for men Pictures Vetiver Guerlain for men Pictures Vetiver Guerlain for men Pictures Vetiver Guerlain for men Pictures Vetiver Guerlain for men Pictures

Vetiver is masculine and elegant woodsy fragrance. It was created in 1961 and re-launched again in 2000. The bottle was changed and the color of the perfume, but the fragrance remained gorgeous, just like before. The top notes are bergamot, coriander, lemon, mandarin, and neroli; the heart unites vetiver and cedar wood; the base is composed of tobacco, walnuts, pepper, and Tonka bean.

The nose behind this fragrance is Jean-Paul Guerlain.

Nutmeg Coriander Mandarin Orange Neroli Bergamot Tobacco Lemon

Les Parfums Mythiques - Vetiver

Vetiver Fragrance Reviews

broodingwhale
broodingwhale

This is French class and the gold standard of vetiver. I disagree with those who say this fragrance is too dated or "old fashioned" for young people. I think that opinion rests primarily with perception and modern marketing, where young men are sold a bill of goods about needing to stick with aromatic aquatics and the like, and then bombarded with visual propaganda accordingly.

In most cases it is best to err on the side of conservative application, usually no more than four sprays total, and the result is incredible. This scent is a radiant glow of finely curated citrus, fresh vetiver, leather, tobacco, and a mysterious allure of carefully selected woods and spices.

I have spent a lot of time in local perfume houses sampling other vetiver fragrances in all array of expense and quality, and they always end up getting compared to this one. There are certainly other valid interpretations, but Guerlain's is unique and beautiful.

Regarding time of day, I tend to reserve this for daytime and formal wear, when the green and citrus accord can really play well with all the earthy undertones.

*Note: for those of my young compatriots looking for a vetiver frag that feels more contemporary, I would steer you towards Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver and Histoires de Parfums 1828, which carries over a lot more citrus in the body.

ralopa
ralopa

Calm, solemn and a bit old-school.

This is definately a very classic cologne for all year round, but not suited enough for one in his twenties. However, it's still one of the best choices for a suit and tie.

It begins with a certain disinfectant smell that maybe originate from the composition of nutmeg and coriander, which makes me a illusion of being in the hospital.

The drydown is the driest vetiver accord that I've ever tried. This is unlike the wet vetiver in Lalique Encre Noire Sport and TF Grey Vetiver, as well as the damp swampy one in Zegna Haitian Vetiver. It's all about the calm and dignified personalities that a professional and experienced man should possess.

I will come back to this again in my thirties.

Longevity: 8 hours or so
Projection: moderate in first 2-3 hours and then becomes a skin scent
Rating: 8.5/10

Lunchbox148
Lunchbox148

I just blind bought this one and it's one of those that have seriously knocked me off my feet. I'm truly amazed at how this smells. It's a true masterpiece and the graddaddy of all vetivers. I can see why this is still so popular.

I'm 26 and I really don't see this as "oldmanish" I pull it off! It is definitely mature like 25+
I have been trying to only buy versatile fragrances lately and this is a 10/10 on that.

I will erase this review and write a better one after I get more wearings I just felt compelled to put in my 2 cents.

God it smells good. My best blind buy!!!!

Luna_J
Luna_J

As a fan of older and classic scents, I am really surprised (honestly!) that anyone would consider this dated. Which date exactly do they mean, I wonder? To me, 'dated' as a problem, anyway, suggests something that has been cheapened or coarsened with familiarity and popularity, so that before it can be appreciated as an experience it is digested all at once as self-parody. This 'kitsch'-effect is the stamp of the 'cologne guy': if you're my age (early 40's), it's probably some 1970's macho-man fougere on the edge of drugstore copycat eclipse (a plastic bottle of Brut, or the watered-down version of Azzaro Pour Homme for sale in chain drugstore bins at an overpriced $20 an ounce.) If you're a little younger than me, it's some kind of Cool Water heir or calone clone. In any case, the idea precedes and obliterates the experience, bringing with it some worn-out trope of buzzwords like 'confidence' or 'masculinity' that were only ever meant to shill to the rubes anyway.

I don't get any of this from Vetiver... Just a ringingly radiant succession of fresh facets segueing into spicy and rounded rooty-soapy notes in a way that is musical (and within music: chromatic.) The new formulation, like so many things recently renovated, is mostly overture, with heart backing off from contrasts and base very discreet and a little thin -- forgivable given the beauty and straight-up intelligence evident in every aspect of the way this composition is balanced. Remarkably buoying, fresh and inspiring.

Anyway, there are older things I tolerate out of sentiment, but this is not one of them. This is classic as in classical (something that informs the structure of who you are and where you came from even if the facts were obscured.) Less 'engineered' smelling than other contemporary vetivers that are interesting intellectually, this one rewards the senses.

LadyIva
LadyIva

I'm a big fan of retro scents and probably a rare woman who actually wears Vetiver! I 'borrow' it from my husband all the time. :) It smells differently on my skin, as it is not meant to be worn by a woman, but somehow I pull it off. It is the 'greenest' scent out there - smells like freshly mown grass with some woody and spicy overtones. So comforting and wonderful.

gedlive
gedlive

Vetiver, tobacco, and leather, that's a great combo, and It's what you get, in this timeless classic fragrance.

This was one of my first fragrances when I got into the hobby, explorring classics. Several years later, this is in my permanent colection, and each year I discover a newer, higher appreciation for how good it is.
The reason I erased my old review from a couple years ago, is I guess my nose has become better trained and I' m picking up something I hardly got befor. Foremost now, I pick up a very distinct suede leather. After the green tobacco citrus and vetiver opening blast settles, the leather really shines. It has an old school classic feel with the moss, carnation, nutmeg and sage. But the hints of jasmine and smooth sandalwood brighten it and keep it smooth.

I'm surprised for two years I hardly got any leather, and now it's so clear, and gives the fragrance more distinction.
Tom Ford Grey Vetiver edp is a more modern version of Guerlain Vetiver, but doesn't have any leather. The new Hermes Bel Ami Vetiver, is most like this, yet with a stronger suede leather.

This is a very versatile all season fragrance, best in the Fall perhaps, performance is good, and value is great.

God bless you. John 3:16

kapted
kapted

I bought this for myself. I adore this scent. It reminds me of O de Lancome, but a muskier version. It harks to the era of cologne worn on summer days.

I can see why others say it is 'dated' and not for the masculine men's man. BUT do try it and stake a signature scent that does not smell like cheap teen sprays. It has class, is classic and would liven up a room.

SunnyYG
SunnyYG

So disappointed. I wanted a clean mild and sweet Vetiver like I have found in several hand soaps. Didn't find it here. This is exactly the smell of the dog bag shampoo my groomer uses. So, I can't even go there. It does something to the psyche to smell like the dogs! Lol

no-fi
no-fi

A landmark scent. Jean-Paul Guerlain's Vetiver introduced a new kind of freshness - one that relies on light earthy tones, rather than the overdose of citrus and herbs in traditional eaux de colognes or, to some extent, the more modern citrus aromatics. Even 55 years after its introduction, it still feels youthful, light and invigorating. There's a playful hipness, much like the decade that spawned it.

Vetiver's predecessor is the scent of the same name by Carven, released four years earlier in 1957. In Carven's composition, the vetiver forms the backbone without being dominant. In Guerlain's Vetiver, the eponymous note is very much at the fore. Carven is gentlemanly and serene; Guerlain is sporty, playful and energetic.

So how does it smell? Unsurprisingly, the vetiver note is no wallflower. It is clean, lightly smokey, very green, and almost effervescent. It's also earthy, but there's a lightness to it as well. A good deal of the freshness comes from the supporting accords, which help the vetiver to float airily - there are citruses, of course, as well as plenty of fresh sage, bright carnation, and a deftly light touch of spice. It's rounded out by a smooth, mossy base with a hint of delicious Guerlinade. Projection and longevity are both average on my skin, but it will easily last the working day.

I disagree with those who say Vetiver is dated. Yes, there's a refinement to it that may seem fusty to those accustomed to laundry-clean musks and watery aquatics. But I would urge young men to persevere. This is undeniably a fresh scent - you may just have to re-calibrate your nose to a different paradigm in order to understand it. Do so, and you'll be rewarded with a clean classic that's easy to wear and exudes casual elegance.

Guerlain's Vetiver is a true masterpiece, and is still the definitive vetiver scent. For me, it's an unmitigated 10/10.

jpgaud61
jpgaud61

A good masculine scent many people comment about is Vetiver. Vetiver is one of the best naturally green, earthy, and lightly smokey scents available, if done right. Guerlain executes this Vetiver fragrance masterfully. The scent, overall, is versatile, masculine, elegant, sophisticated, interesting, and unforgettable.

There's the obligatory modicum of Lemon accompanying the Vetiver upon application, but it fades out quickly, making way for harmonious and elegant Nutmeg and Tobacco, then middle notes of Pepper, Sandalwood, and Sage. The richly homogenized scent reveals itself over the warm, sophisticated base composed of leather, Amber, and Myrrh, accompanied with a whisper of vanilla Tonka Bean at the finish.

Guerlain Vetiver smells invitingly clean, fresh, warm, and green without being too strong or astringently antiseptic. I don't get animalic Civet impressions at all. To me, the Civet doesn't exist.

Oddly, this fragrance presents slightly different to my nose in each season. Guerlain Vetiver is suitable for any occasion and season, but particularly shines for me in warm weather, which magnifies the qualities and nuances of this fragrance.

Guerlain Vetiver outperforms, by far, Creed Original Vetiver in complexity, endurance, projection, quality, and price. I regard Guerlain Vetiver one of my favorite classic, masculine, signature fragrances for mature, tasteful gentlemen in Summer. (Along with Guerlain Homme Intense)

Bourgognais
Bourgognais

An excellent vétiver, to be sure. Comforting and softer around the edges than Chanel's Sycomore. Still perceptible on my wrist after some 19 h and two showers. I will not purchase though, as the spouse smelled cleaning product.

AlexFox
AlexFox

Think green, really green, put the colour green in a bottle and turn it into liquid and you get this scent. To me this is a one trick pony that does its trick very well and that's all I want it to do to be honest.

The vetiver jumps out and stays with you for the whole ride and really that's all you want from a scent that is so plainly named.

Describing the scent is of no point. Once you smell vetiver you know it's smell. Think fresh cut grass, think fresh wooded areas, think moss and ferns with morning dew dripping off the leaves. All these things help in bringing up the memory of vetiver but vetiver itself carries a unique quality that is unto itself.

I love this scent. The price, projection, longevity and silage are all winners on this. I am hard pressed to not recommend this smell.

I for one like having a variety of scents, in that variety I enjoy having at least one green scent and this is the king of green scents for me. If not this then I would go for Polo green, sometimes I layer the two as the vetiver from this mixes well with the pine from Polo green.

utopia82
utopia82

My Dad's favourite fragrance since 1990 .
long lasting and soft to moderate . I think Vetiver for gentlemen 40+ yrs old .
suitable for hot & humid weather.

Ricardo the Great
Ricardo the Great

GV is as perfect a gentlemen's fragrance as you'll ever experience.

Konga5000
Konga5000

-------Blind Buy---------

Kind of a surprise . Shoots out with green sharpness and sparky aldehydes that poke your nostrils (with what feels like a little olive fork!)-- then settles down in a pretty but smokey way. (I'm a gender-bender so it does not bother me)
This is VERY unisex--more towards the "lady" side.

Seriously macho dudes : stay away. Young dudes might not go this way either.

Something very familiar in this --still it's comforting . I think I smell something that my grandmother wore? LOL.
Oh sh*t- it just hit me! I know what this smells like now?! An older lady that was wearing Jean Nate or some other drug-store frag and just had a cigarette (weirdly - IN A GOOD WAY not a bad one!) LOL

This is a cousin to Guerlain's Habit Rouge but I like THIS one more.

Glad to have it. Pretty strong stuff. Longevity seems good .
It takes a while - but eventually the vetiver & warm earthiness comes out towards the end and nearly smells like sweet body odor (in a GOOD way).

Nice but not sure if I would buy this again after it's empty.

3 out of 5 stars ***

sir reeksalot
sir reeksalot

i had smelled this many a times on older folk and was sure i smelled hair brilliantine.i thought they were just stuck on an old trip and never learned better.i was walking towards the fridge and suddenly caught a whiff of dry grass on a sunny field.i swear i looked around as if i was looking across 10 acres of country.sniff,sniff, i have made the grade!

greatbitch
greatbitch

This is a real masterpiece,of all.
Every one should have one bottle.

othonjr1978
othonjr1978

I blind bought this fragrance due to good reviews and after receiving it I immediately tested it and somehow after smelling it, it reminded me of being inside the Church during my younger years though I'm not sure if it were due to my fellow Church goers or because a Priest was wearing it. All I got to say that this can take you places, I wouldn't dare say this is heavenly but this the classiest fragrance that I own meaning it doesn't smell generic or cheap. It is not your average everyday smell and people will take you seriously when you wear this. Merci Monsieur Jean-Paul Guerlain!

KJS88
KJS88

I wouldn't call myself a vetiver fanatic in that I'd go and seek out and collect vetiver fragrances, but I do rather enjoy them. I've a number of vetiver-heavy fragrances that I wouldn't consider my favourites, but they are always well complimented. I always thought that had much to do with the fact that vetiver simply smells good, and is rather hard bugger up.

There's this interplay of grassy-herbaceous-woodiness and musky warmth in its essence that makes it broadly appealing.

Guerlain's Vetiver emphasises that. It brings out the grassy herbaceousness of vetiver, overlays it with citrus and pepper, and underlays it with balmy warmth and wood. IMO that's why it has been so popular from its release to this very day--it can be worn at any time, in any weather, and in any season.

I really can't add much more to what other reviews have said as far as descriptions of the scent. Really good stuff, and that comes out in commentary.

For variations on this theme, try Guerlain's Vetiver Extreme (less citrusy and grassy, more woody and herbaceous), l'Erbolario's Vetiver de la Reunion (as close as it comes to a male Miss Dior!) and Burberry's Touch for Men for an unusual clean-musky tonka take on vetiver.

benja

Guerlain- what is going on with this gorgeous fragrance? it smells so amazing when the bottle was new and then after one week it became just sour and lost some of its beautiful notes and last on my skin just 3 hours with 8 sprays !!! Big disappointment!!! Luckily I found Guerlain Homme which is much better-longer lasting vetiver!
Scent 10-10

longevity :7/10
70% day / 30% night fragrance

nobue
nobue

I purchased Guerlain Vetiver at the same time as Thierry Mugler Cologne, and while testing out my new fragrances I realized how amazing they smelled together. As an Eau de Cologne / citrus aromatic enthusiast, GV has been a revelation. Adding a spritz or two of Vetiver to any Cologne gives it a brand new depth of character. As andreaszabo says below, this really is the perfect fragrance for layering.

Vetiver reins in Bond No. 9 Eau de New York's screeching citrus and reinforces Eau Sauvage Cologne's smooth base. It enriches Mugler Cologne's herbal character as well as its fleeting longevity. And it takes Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche down a notch, somewhere in the direction of the original TdH EdT. Then there is the profound combination of GV and Creed Royal Water. I have no words.

A must own for any lover of fragrance. Happy blending.

TAP
TAP

This masculine, mature, complex, refined and very elegant all-season classic is surely one of the best if not THE best vetiver fragrance on the market! It showcases grassy and earthy vetiver beautifully balanced with fresh citruses, herbs and flowers, dry and warm tobacco, a variety of spices and subtle animalic nuances developing from a fairly sharp and green opening to a rich and warm yet elegantly soapy and fresh drydown with pleasant sillage and excellent longevity.

Thomaso7

This was my first vetiver fragrance. I bought it blind online wanting to smell it, and the Guerlain one of course!.
After I ordered it, I had reservations, reading it was "green" smelling and like pine needles dipped in lemon, and stuff like that. I thought I probably wouldnt like it. It might be like Polo Green.
It showed up, and I opened the box, and got ready to confirm my doubts - but immediately it sprayed out a fabulously rich sparkling sunshine scent that was so fabulous, I loved it immediately. Wonderful stuff.

NZFH
NZFH

This is the first "real" vetiver fragrance I have smelled, so my reaction is dominated by initial shock. My nose is used to vetiver in combination with other ingredients, and not as the primary ingredient. I have now been exposed to the pure grassiness of vetiver. I am starting to like it, but at this stage, have no other points of comparison. Maybe I will try Creed's original Vetiver next ....

AmericanCologneGuy
AmericanCologneGuy

The best! The standard by which all other vetiver fragrances are measured!

Once I learned about Guerlain's work and glorious history, I decided to try Vétiver. I'm so glad I did! When I spray this on, I know that no matter where I'll be or who I'm with, nobody will smell this good! Nobody. You won't find this at your typical fragrance store- it requires some looking around, but that makes it even better!

Now for the juice itself: this stuff smells clean, fresh, spicy, green, woodsy and amazingly elegant. It starts off with an energizing, strong, bright citrus. This only serves as a call to attention, a fanfare heralding the magnificent arrival of spicy, earthy vetiver root, black pepper, green field grass, sweet blended tobacco leaves, frankincense, and more spicy woodsy vetiver. The vetiver sparkles in this! The magic interplay of black pepper, blended tobacco and spicy vetiver goes on and on for hours! Wow!

Whether you're in jeans or a suit, going out for a movie and dinner or to a big wedding, this is what a man should smell like! Classic, clean and masculine. Another work of art from Jean-Paul Guerlain, Vétiver Eau de Toilette.

dzingunyte
dzingunyte

tried this at the airport duty free.well it's very strong at the beggining. very strong. i dont have many words to describe this fragrance. never smelt anything like this before

Aleksandr888
Aleksandr888

Finally, after going back and forward to the counter and trying it on paper and skin,
I've bought this old school beauty.
It's fresh, spicy, dominating and assuring.
Personally I just feel good and very positive, about this smell, but ladies somehow just love it.
It is a very direct and in a way simple perfum, but it's quality and power and delivery is
unmistakable.
It's very close to Tom Ford Grey Vetiver Edt, which I have and love, but it absolutely has
it's own place in anybody's collection.
Ps. If you have Aqua Di Parma Colonia, or Ferrari Neroli or TF Neroli Portofino, it goes
beautifully with Guerlain Vetiver.

tdwctdwc
tdwctdwc

Opens with that "old school" herbal citrusy vibe, the same vibe i get from Eau Sauvage EDT. Those who despise that vibe will recognize it instantly and understand what i mean.

Thankfully, the above stage lasts 5 minutes and then the rooty smooth tobacco-ish vetiver dominates the scent until the end.

Absolutely wonderful vetiver scent. This is pure rooty vetiver done in an extremely smooth way.

I have the 125 ml wide frosted bottle (2005 batch) and the longevity is very good but lacks in projection on my dry skin.

I suspect, like many vetivers on my skin, this will bloom in the heat or when body temperature heats up.

If you're into modern complex compositions (like i do) and despise anything with that "infamous" citrusy aromatic old school vibe, my advise is to wait after you spray this because it's in the heart and drydown where this reference vetiver scent shows its magic.

Two thumbs up !

Olamiplus
Olamiplus

Cool,soapy and long lasting scent.

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

I enjoy vetiver, and had hoped for a smokey, earthy vetiver scent. On my skin, the citrus notes predominate- especially the lime. It becomes a sharp, almost aldehydic scent--light, pungent, tart, soaring. At some point, I briefly smelled dill and a hint of mint. It never settled on my skin, but stayed astringent and citric. I got no tobacco, and really nothing to settle this scent. In fairness, I am a woman; it is possible my chemistry lacked some deeper antrogenic character that was needed to give depth and weigh down the lime and pale vetiver. It did not work for me.

topolcats
topolcats

I still love this scent.

Oldspice
Oldspice

I've always liked, though not loved, Guerlain Vetiver. Since I've become smitten with more modern citrus/vetiver scents like Terre d'Hermes and Grey Vetiver, I haven't been reaching for this one anymore.

Jernê Knowles

I have lived in almost "eternal" quest for the perfect Vetiver, and I am aware that I may not find ever this blessed to get married, because what my subconscious guard about the note / aroma of Vetiver, maybe just me get set, that is, so that we find it definitely a perfumer should work specifically on the note with our (my) help, so that come into being which both crave.

While Vetiver dream not appear / appears, we will be fun sparingly on top of already discovered the outside world, and this fun then run into the Vetiver EDT Guerlain is a plateful of Vetiver, along with smoked wood nuances that is a spectacle only feel. He brings a note of Vetiver right away, loaded spices and put on a citrus background that matches perfectly with the tenacity of the note that it's something crazy.

In the heart, vetiver disappoints green, milky half and perceptibly bitter, I get to have a sense of feeling a bitter taste in my mouth (Oloko), mixed with an olfactory sense of wet earth, the roots still in the rhizome which lost the recent contact with the earth, and is spicy and highly pronounced on a background that consists Tobacco reminding rope smoke and houses which are marketed; perhaps the bitter I feel with vigor is because of this tobacco bill, which decorates signal very well when combined with the Vetiver.

The power projection and fixation of this perfume is so overwhelming, the feeling I have when I use is that I went through a smoking process made from the roots of Vetiver, ie, it works as a golden age, but giant form and bombastic, as a force field that the meter backward, forward and all other sides as well. Finally, the mix between Tonka, Leather, myrrh and vetiver at the base, give a final special touch to fragrance, requiring certain respect and admiration for it, after all is a Guerlain and beyond the tradition that the Maison door, too It brings in the olfactory bonds, quality sporting luxuriousness and glory from the first spritz!

NapoleonLives
NapoleonLives

Could it possibly get any better than GV? I think not.

Sorush
Sorush

با سلام
یکی از بهترینهای دنیای عطره. در کنار والنتینو وی که یک اسطوره هست ایستاده.

Oslo-fjord
Oslo-fjord

This is THE ultimate Vetiver scent. In my opinion a masterpiece in the world of perfumery. Fresh "grassy" vetiver with a hint of tobacco makes it slight dirty. This and Habit Rouge are the stars from Guerlain. Signature scent worthy. 10/10

Forget Freeman
Forget Freeman

Been trying this on and off for about a month, unusual fragrance from my viewpoint as it has monster longevity on me. I can still smell it on my clothes the next day.

I would recommend trying before you buy if possible, Guerlain's Vetiver seems to be one of those scents that reacts differently depending on the body heat and skin of the user. I find I only need two sprays and I'm set for the day. Vetiver is my first fragrance from this house and the quality level here is impressive.

As for the smell? I can't really describe it, it's grassy clean but also a bit dirty as well. Conjures up an image of being on a vacation at a rural coastal town after a rain-shower on a sunny day.

Tone wise, this is masculine stuff. Has an air of classic dignity and authority. You will get noticed wearing this so I recommend caution in application.

Impressive

hold_your_nose
hold_your_nose

No sexiness, humour or mystery, just a pleasure to smell, meaning I tend to put it on when I am in a neutral mood. Medicinal opening can only really be understood having smelt smokier, darker original. Dryest drydown of them all is worth waiting for.

joerodeo92
joerodeo92

The single greatest vetiver ever created rivaled only by the ORIGINAL Eau de Vetyver by Givenchy which is sadly a relic of the distant past. Since the original formulation from Givenchy has long since departed the market, Guerlain's Vetiver now reigns supreme. A viridian dream in a bottle, it is the definitive spring time fragrance. Grassy, clean, fresh, and a little soapy minus any off-putting sharpness. This is perfect for an afternoon walk when the flowers are blooming, the sky is a bright, heavenly blue, and the weather is crisp and cool. Naturally, the vetiver and tobacco are the stars of this composition. The bergamot and lime are welcomed tagalongs in the opening, but soon fade away leaving an inviting scent of clean, but earthy vetiver that creates an air of easygoing refinement around the wearer. Sillage is great as today was my first outing and with only two sprays, it caught the attention of quite a few passerbys. Longevity is also good as it easily lasts 5+ hours, but dries down to a soapy skin scent. Many pass on this on the premise that the scent is dated....HA! If that is in fact the case, we can learn much from these gems of the past. In the face of so many discontinued and long forgotten scents, Guerlain Vetiver has stood the test of time for good reason.

Sillage: 7/10

Houstonx
Houstonx

It's a masculine, fresh, clean green frag. Classic. Maybe if you are heavy on the trigger, you might increase the performance, but it doesn't stay long on skin.

obahnas
obahnas

This bottle spells maturity, masculinity, freshness and class.

Bergamot, lemon, some pepper and vetiver.

a definite must have for all vetiver lovers

fsulka
fsulka

This is a classic. I get that. As a fan of vetiver dominant fragrances, I can't say though that this is a favorite of mine. Primarily because of the open. The open on my skin smells like Lemon Pledge. I wouldn't be that harsh if it weren't true. It smells exactly like that on me. I get a hint of the vetiver early on trying to work its way to the front of the stage but I really have to put my nose on this repeatedly to get that.

The vetiver does eventually make its way to center stage where it belongs in a fragrance with vetiver in the title. It is at this point that the fragrance comes into its own. It really is quite nice and masculine.

As far as fragrances with dominant vetiver I prefer: Encre Noire, Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford, The Beat for Men by Burberry, and the vetiver I pick up in Polo Green.

Some vetivers I'd like to try include: Vetiver Hombre Adolfo Dominguez, Creed Original Vetiver, and Vetiver Extraordinaire Frederic Malle.

citizenoftriton
citizenoftriton

You know how a scent can take you back to a particular time and place when you smell it for the first time in many years? It happened to me with Vétiver by Guerlain. As soon as those molecules hit the olfactory receptors, the old mirror cabinet above the sink in my grandparents' bathroom flashed before my eyes. It's 1983, and my grandfather is still the busy bee that he was until old age finally caught up with him. And that bottle of cologne is like a prop from one of his 8mm films, flickering on about a time before my time.

I knew I had to have a bottle.

Vétiver smells classic, for sure. But with its combination of rooty green vetiver and bright citrus, it still manages to be one of the freshest scents on the current market.

I've tried the recent flanker, Vétiver Extrême. Very similar to the original, but they seem to have aimed at ridding the original of the vintage feel. I'm guessing they threw out the tobacco, the oakmoss and the civet.

But they couldn't throw out everything old. Which in this case is a shame. Just when I thought I had finally found a scent I could like from the alleged "good old times", I learnt about the racist remarks that creator J.-P. Guerlain had made on television. Suddenly, all that was left was the stale stench of suprematism from an era unworthy of reverence. Some will object that it should be all about the art of the fragrance and not about a creator's views. But do we not imagine a scent to be like a perfumer's personal poem? Well, this is not the kind of poetry I want to be surrounded with.

One a brighter note, I found Haitian Vetiver by Ermenegildo Zegna to smell strikingly similar to Vétiver and, despite its slightly more contemporary vibe, to be able to evoke that image of my grandparents' mirror cabinet. I could not detect any colonial funk in it, so it might be full-bottle-worthy.

sumandre
sumandre

There's something not quite right about the opening. Medicinal and synthetic. I hardly get that dry before-the-rains earthy aroma I so adore in the original. This current version reminds me of someone who's had one too many facelifts over the years, it's become unrecognizable.

JEDI 2.0

To anyone who's tried and didn't really like this... Give it time, and try it again.

If you read my review below, it seems somewhat negative. I have to admit, my tune has since changed, and I genuinely like this fragrance. Just having it on my shelf is somewhat comforting, it's a very manly "go-to" scent.

Insensé
Insensé

“What type of man do you want to be?”

Today I will digress in two male mythical Guerlain: Habit Rouge and Vetiver, opposing each other.

Guerlain Vetiver:
The classic masculine, where the vetiver note has become a benchmark for men. For use with suit and tie, at any meeting. Classy, but also a lot of sobriety.
For me, however, it is a bit dated (yes, I'm the counter current of those who consider this more modern than Habit Rouge, being this one outdated upon many reviewers): I prefer more modern vetivers, when that note, one of my favorites, is blended with a touch of profanity as in L`Artisan Parfumeur Timbuktu, example of exoticism; or wherein the distinction is even more marked as in Chanel Sycomore, the unsurpassed distinction. Or is it the sandalwood that matches the vetiver so smoothly?
But my reference is Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire, vetiver at its higher level, linking to my taste on oriental and inspiring my next short review on Habit Rouge below.
I am so sorry, Guerlain, you inspired many, and will have to watch now the beauty of youth from distance.

Unless…

Guerlain Habit Rouge Eau de Toilette:
This is the opposite of the previous one: said to be the first male oriental in 1965! Or, as I think, was it the first androgynous? It does not matter, because it has it all for those who always feel good in their skin, whether at work or at play, such as a father or as a romantic lover (ok, he may be all at the same time, ok?). And both based on the cutaway aristocrat as the rocker playing his electric guitar jumping on stage ... If you are more for well-defined identities, it will not be for you.
The touch of vanilla in the drydown is wonderful, someone considered the male Shalimar. I do not agree completely: it is less powdery and is drier (a more pronounced and animalic leather accord?). It is a unique scent and I do not know any other as complex, contradictory and inexhaustible. Guerlain wanted men the opportunity to wear Guerlinade, and they succeeded auspiciously.

A modern replacement?
I'll think a bit more about it. You see, I prefer this against Vetiver; I changed. A few years ago I thought otherwise.

My dear Guerlain, you need not anymore to feel envious. You became a forever young vamp. But you'll have to walk alone.

Englishman
Englishman

Guerlain Vetiver is the most frustrating perfume I have, simply because it refuses to do anything with my body chemistry.

It's as though every volatile aromatic compound is burned off in the initial 15 minute citrus explosion and then that's it.

I can put on a dozen sprays -- yes, literally -- and after the short opening all I am left with is a subtle soapy, fresh, green, skin scent.

For the first hour or so the soapiness has light spicy and clove-like medicinal notes. Then after that it's just soap, a fairly pleasant fresh green soap, but just soap.

I have to meditate whilst taking numerous deep inhalations to detect the vaguest trace of vetiver.

Guerlain Vetiver seems like a class fragrance but unfortunately, unlike everyone else, it is wholly anonymous on me. Very strange.

Edit:

In the fortnight since I wrote this review I have worn it a few more times to see if I could develop my nose to it and get any new perspectives. And what I've found, just beneath the soapiness, is the civet note. As a child I had a pet rat and this civet note takes me right back to its droppings...

Others compare this to a daytime Encre Noire, and I sincerely wish it was. I like Encre Noire, a lot, but can find absolutely no parallel with Guerlain Vetiver.

Dog-of-War
Dog-of-War

This is my go to, everyday scent. Tried several vetivers and none quite has the attributes of Guerlain's product.

Knightofwands
Knightofwands

This is the only scent to have been consistently in my Fragrantica top 6 since I've been a member of the community. The quality and originality is, in my opinion unsurpassed, even it its current formulation. Yes, there is an animalic note balancing the clean freshness, but this merely adds to the depth and complexity of this iconic scent. No one should be surprised. Civet is clearly listed in the notes!!
If you want supermarket scents, go to the supermarket, but you won't find this one in the bargain basket.
It's infinitely better than that.

iTryToSmellGood
iTryToSmellGood

I tried this and at first I really liked it the opening is clean, not too fresh but just enough. After the first 20 minutes is where I wasn't so sure about it. It had this slight dirty/animalic undertone that was just enough to throw me off. Not for me.

Q.R. Crumm
Q.R. Crumm

Not a fan of this.

The drydown is just too much "mown grass", I much prefer Eau Sauvage as a "Classic scent" so I bought that instead.

mhobba
mhobba

Wearing this is like applying a generous helping of a classic men's powerhouse fougere and then jumping in the shower. Fresh and clean meets that warm civet, amber and oakmoss base. A true masterpiece and still as relevant as ever.

Rio Cappuccino
Rio Cappuccino

The Vetiver God's are listening.

mypersonalharmonics

Is this scent reformulated?

Used to wear it when it was still in the previous bottle. Tested it again today and I found it different. NOT bad or worse, but different.
I think that a tobacco/charcoal/almost like wood-in-a-fireplace note is enhanced.

That wasn't even noticeable 10 years ago. Vetiver was fresher and more herbally-uplifting than woody-warm. Anyone sharing this impression?

davroy
davroy

Very clean fresh soapy scent though to me can smell a little harsh at first. As one or two other contributors have said it does have a very definite 'medicinal' smell about it though that isn't a criticism merely an observation. I nice pleasant scent I like to wear for work. Don't overdo this one it's powerful - two or three sprays more than enough and lasts all day. Always gets compliments this one.

SuzySchnabel
SuzySchnabel

Although not able to review it cause I smelled it so long ago ( and loved it! ) and should need freshing up ( maybe one of you can spare a sample for me....wink ? ) I thouht I must join this club because I'm a woman and I LOVE it..VETIVER I mean, and some made references to the possible taste of women for it, besides I read a lady here with long experience with the essential-oil and I'm so glad now with my first GORGEOUS one I bought and am playing with making my own 'brews'..I've to read where it comes from but it's indeed VERY thick and STICKY and gorgeously AMBERY-ORANGE and it fixes the juice naturally without having to order 'fix.00911'( and who knows what's in it...ja, they sell like that deciding for you what the 'fix'ill be..the seller I mean )
so I'm all in love with it's grounded superior natural freshness and bitterness...for me the reference is/was
Future/J.Piquet..and I'm duping it now..ha ha..
This is a 180*turn for me..from patch,olibanum + myrrhe to this one but I do see more similarities then contrasts and those notes meet also well ...earth..bitter..yet sweet..grass..roots
cool yet comforting..and mysterious.
I'M ADDICTED and check it all out..
Well this was my 'non-review'...forgive me .. but as soon as I can get a sampler (please .. ) I'm back here to report it's a lovely new yourney....and won't be able to restrain my enthousiasm I'm afraid.

Fragrant Desert
Fragrant Desert

I vow to never run out of Vetiver Guerlain.

K1
K1

"Simplex" standard vetiver.
Although Guerlain was not the first who engaged with vetiver, its Vetiver is the most known in the trend. Veriver de Guerlain, although has been edited several times with each batch, still, after around half a century is on top.
Vetiver de Guerlain is an eastern sporty, foggy, sweet powdery, deeply green fragrance with angular aspects of the grass. The pure vetiver oil has fiery warm manner, specially Java vetiver and you really don't wanna steam up in summer with a whiff of Guerlain's loyal to nature perfume.
Sillage: Better to say trail cause this leaves a track of smell behind for meters and long time. If you're in solid vetiver, this is probably the best leisure casual sporty thing ever made. For me it's too much vetiver.
★★★★

Onria
Onria

Wow, just wow! Fresh, raw vetiver and bergamot infusion!
I love this, such a lovely vetiver, classy, yet full bodied and plenty of personality, great projection and longevity!

Very green, a big fan of this.
I don't see where the tobacco comes in, it must be very well blended, just like the rest of this scent.

I overlooked this scent for months, so glad I took the plunge and sampled then purchased this.

sniffmaster
sniffmaster

#Fresh #morning #shower #heat #summer #sunshine #holidays #green #work #casual #happy #confident #GuerLaiNVetiVeR

gordbrad
gordbrad

Takeshi, and for anyone who LOVES vetiver. I have not tried this one yet, but just bought it online... and I am looking very much forward to receiving it.
Encre Noire by Lalique is the most straight up, strong, unrelenting vetiver I have smelled. It is gorgeous as well. Terre D'Hermes is a more gentlemanly vetiver. We should start the I love vetiver club. :-)
Anyone who is getting gasoline or burning rubber from this particular vetiver--that is what it smells like sometimes. You like it or you don't. :-)

Lap
Lap

On my skin it smells like joint.
It's strange but I like it :)

Seanfah
Seanfah

Very clean, soapy, ideal for everyday wear

JEDI 2.0

Missed my chance at buying a mini-splash, so I blind-bought a 100ml bottle.

I feel there is an almost vinyl/rubber tire smell underneath the greenness of it. It's like "new car smell" for your skin. I can see how this would be cutting-edge for a man 50+ years ago, but I feel that nowadays this scent is underwhelming in comparison to modern scents along its lines. And on that note, in my opinion Coach Leatherware #1 is a better "version" of this type of cologne.

Ultimately I had more fun chasing down this fragrance than I am having wearing it, but it's a good safe buy and the bottle looks gorgeous on any shelf. 6/10 for me personally.

hernansote
hernansote

This is my first vetiver experience so please be forgiving if I come out like a rookie.
I read reviews about how much better the older formula was. My answer to them is, if you had better than this then I envy you.
The vetiver scent is a unique clean herbal, forest like scent. It's green all the way. There is zero sweetness in it. 100% hombre.
It is clean and bright and it lasts for several hours.
There is no sweetness at all in this scent. or any dark scent like oud or leather.
This is a perfect scent to wear at work because it smells great, and it's not invasive.
When the scent is about to disappear it kind of smells like you are getting out of a swimming pool with chlorine in a summer day. For some it may not be a great feeling, but I like it.

Takeshi
Takeshi

It's just so vetiver, medicinal smell? heck yes, don't know Y but I love it so dearly.

I searched and found women's review, I'm curious to know what this smells like on 'em. Do they have more vetiver in their wardrobes? I wish I had someone to compare notes about vetiver frags, for women, pour homme, it don't matter, I'm open to suggestions.

Y'all was right. This seems to be a pillar of vetiver fragrance, I am grateful that i was introduced to it.

(Got me a gold cap the other day! I'm saving it though:) )

Baron Corvo
Baron Corvo

Guerlain's Vetiver is clearly a popular classic fragrance that no doubt has some good qualities for many people, but is not beyond criticism. I look at the top- and basenotes listed and quite wonder where they are hiding because from the first application to well into the middle this is a sharp, somewhat astringent concoction heavily dominated by the vetiver and cedar. This gives it a bitter and almost metallic aroma, like a school metalwork room or a metal drilling workshop.

It takes a while before that calms down and anything resembling the cut grass or 'new-mown hay' comes through. When it does it mingles with the bergamot and coriander. In-between all of this are bursts of residue from empty coffee cups, the nutmeg, the pepper and a quinine-like undertone. Any earthiness is more disused wasteland than summer meadow

It's somewhat of a relief when it dies down because my nose tired of this after a while.

Sillage and longevity are quite strong, which may be good or bad depending on how much you like it. My opinion would be to save yourself some money and try Chopard Vetiver, which is a fraction of the price and in my opinion has a better blend of aromas alongside its vetiver.

sam ldh
sam ldh

Understated, sophisticated,elegant and opulent woody scent, strictly for gentlemen. Its also got a vein running deep which pulsates with a distinct sexy-ness,too.One of the best vetyvers out there.
Performance is, well, okay, but could have been better at this price point.
Recommended.

Happy Sniffing!

Rick Bennett
Rick Bennett

Testing today with a sample. Masculine, clean, fresh and pleasant. An initial blast of citrus for me, which wears off quite quickly (good - not massively keen on citrus) and then gorgeous vetiver for hours after. As someone else said here, I agree it has a freshly cut, hay-like scent. I think it's a good day-time scent for the office, especially in warmer weather. It's on my "to buy" list.

Edit: read some more of the reviews here, and found out it was based on a "gardener working in the early morning", and that it reminded someone of walking on a lawn barefoot. Love both those images, and they really match the scent for me too.

Lespinard
Lespinard

Very manly and classic - maybe the best vetiver in the world.

Sexy ? YES - strictly for gentlemen

Zazenh

I have 27 fragrances so far. Mainly all modern fragrances. If I can only be left with 1 fragrance, this would be this one!

It's not dated at all. It IS classy though, but not pretentious classy, just elegant classy and fresh. Is also Woodsy, aromatic, fresh woodsy. I mean the smell of fresh rain or the greenery around you after a Spring shower.

Awesome fragrance! Better than Creed's Original Vetiver, IMO and and Encre noir. If you love vetiver, GET THIS JUICE!

myra83
myra83

its a brylcream hair cream smell.. clasic and sooo clasic..

MattyC
MattyC

Smelled this for the first time at a Guerlain counter. Turns out I love vetiver in most of it's forms. This is no exception. I want a bottle.

(edit) I could wait no longer I purchased a bottle from fragranceX as a trial of their services...wish me luck.

Bottle came very fast (5 business days) very pleased with FragranceX. As for the Cologne, it's beautiful. It wears as well on my wife as it does on me. bonus points for that.

At the price this can be had for I have to give it a 10/10

benja

Yes! This is the best summer perfume a real man can put on himself early in the morning after a shower, it is so refreshing, uplifting and energizing, love it, love it, this is probably the most natural and cleanest scent I had ever smelled so far! Also it is not a typical today's cologne, it has class and status.

deepakdubai1
deepakdubai1

the greatest vetiver fragrance ever,
the old wider bottle used to last well for 5-6 hours on my skin

the current formulation with silver cap is best avoided
lasts 2 hours top side , that too if you are indoors.

OdorMiris
OdorMiris

There is very little left to be said about this fragrance....either you love it or you don't...Outdated? Old man smell? I have NO idea what these mean because Guerlain Vetiver is neither....rather what I perceive is a soapy, clean barbershop fragance...but not that barbershop that Dad frequented but rather that elegant shop with leather chairs, polished chrome and no evidence of combs soaking in blue disinfectant. Class, pure and simple.
If you're not a fan of vetiver, move on...not for you. But if you like that sharp cutting blast of vetiver this is for you....cool, clean and razor edged...Great summer fragrance down here in South Florida. Screams masculine (although I can see a woman wearing this...hmmmm???) mature and sophisticated...Certainly not for the younger crowd and definitely not a 'club' scent. Office, beach, casual evening events and Saturday and Sunday mornings....I whole-heartedly recommend this to those even slightly curious...and the price won't break the bank....

Platone
Platone

by far the best
citrus, earth, blonde tobacco, nutmeg and white pepper

thehollowaytape
thehollowaytape

I don't get the whole "dated" thing with this one. Smells very clean, fresh, classy. I'm 25 and love it.

Jernê Knowles

I have lived in almost "eternal" quest for the perfect Vetiver, and I am aware that I might not ever find this blessed to get married, for what my subconscious guard about the note / aroma of Vetiver, maybe just get myself set, that is, so that we find it definitely a perfumer should work specifically on the note, with our (my) help, so that come into being which both crave.

While the Vetiver dream not appear / arises, I will fun sparingly on top of those already discovered in the outside world, and this fun then run into the Vetiver by Guerlain EDT which is a plate full of Vetiver, along with smoked wood nuances which is a spectacle only feel. He brings a note of Vetiver right away, loaded spices and put on a citrus background that matches perfectly with the tenacity note that it's something crazy.

At heart, Vetiver disappoint green, milky half and noticeably bitter, I get to have the sensation of feeling bitter in my mouth (Oloko), mixed with an olfactory sensation of wet earth, the roots still in the rhizome which recently lost his contact with the land as well as being spicy and highly pronounced on a background that consists Tobacco reminding string of smoke and the houses are sold; perhaps bitter that I vigorously is because of this tobacco bill, which adorns sign very well when combined with the Vetiver.

The power projection and fixation of this perfume is so overwhelming, that feeling I get when use is that I went through a smoking process made from the roots of Vetiver, that is, it works like an aura, but giant form and bombastic, like a force field that this meters back, forward and all other sides as well. Finally, the mix between Tonka, Leather, myrrh and vetiver at the base, give a final touch all special fragrance, requiring certain respect and admiration for it, after all is a Guerlain and beyond the tradition that the Maison door, too It brings in the olfactory bonds, quality sporting luxuriousness and glory from the first spray!

benja

I have been wearing JPG Vetiver from age of 28, some reviewers say this is dated, well I would like to say to them, no body calls Beethoven's works dated or Mercedes-Benz 300SL dated. Jean -Paul Guerlain created this masterpiece when he was only 20 years old in 1959 it become a classic ever since, it is fresh, long lasting and high quality perfume that I enjoy wearing in warmer weather for years, that's the only perfume that really has that early, country summer morning feeling, so clean, airy, simple and newer get cloying. My absolutely favorite summer fragrance for many years!

Kain
Kain

This fragrance is a deep and dark green take on vetiver with completely masculine aura. I can only imagine a guy with a nice and expensive suit and a mustache when I'm smelling it!

The opening is a slightly fresh citrusy scent along with heavy dose of green notes in a dark and very mature way. it's bitter, sharp and very deep green mossy kind of smell.
Vetiver note here does not smell rooty or earthy. it's very green and vegetable like but in a mysterious and dark way. there is some tobacco here again with bitter and green feel that gives the scent even more green and slightly smoky feeling.

As time passes there is no change in the scent. only those mellow fresh citruses are gone and now vetiver has a smooth and charming rooty/earthy aura.
This is something formal and for special occasions. it's not something casual for every day use with jeans and white Tshirt in the spring or summer!
Projection is above average and longevity is around 7-8 hours on the skin.
Great mature masculine scent.

این عطر یه ترکیب خیلی سبز و سنگین و گیاهی بر اساس رایحه وتیور یا همون خس خس هست که بوی کاملا مردانه و جنتلمنی و کلاسیکی داره. وقتی اینو بو میکنم یه مرد بالغ شیک پوش با کت و شلوار گرون قیمت و یه سبیل چخماغی میاد جلو چشم

رایحه ابتدایی این عطر با بوی نیمه شاداب و کمی مرکباتی شروع میشه که در کنارش مقدار بسیار زیادی رایحه های سبز و گیاهی قرار دارن
رایحه های سبز و گیاهی اصلا شاداب نیستن و بوی خیلی سنگین، تلخ، مرموز و تاریکی دارن
رایحه ویتور در ابتدا اصلا خاکی و ریشه ای نیست و بیشتر یه حس سبز و گیاهی ولی سنگین و خیلی مرموز داره
کمی رایحه تنباکو هم در کنارش حس میشه که اونم باز حس سبز و بویی شبیه به بوته تنباکو رو داره و حس گیاهی سنگین تر و کمی دودی به عطر میده

با گذر زمان بوی عطر تغییر خاصی نمیکنه. فقط اون رایحه ضعیف مرکباتی حذف میشه و حالا وتیور اون اصالت خاکی و ریشه ای خودشو نشون میده منتها بصورت ملایم و البته عطر همچنان اون خاصیت سنگین و تلخ و سبز خودشو حفظ میکنه
پخش بوی نسبتا خوبی داره و ماندگاریش یه چیزی حدود 7-8 ساعت روی پوست هست
به نظر من عطری هست کاملا رسمی و برای مواقع خاص نه برای استفاده روزانه و دم دستی که برداری جین و تی شرت بپوشی و اینو بزنی بری بیرون قدم بزنی مثلا

Little Prince
Little Prince

A Guerlain classic, a legend among legends, Vetiver is been around for more than 50 years. This fragrance is not only a great perfume in its own right (the first actual composition rather than arrangement with vetiver) but it has inspired many fragrances for the rest of the century.
Until, recently it was the best vetiver on the market. The reformulations have made the current juice tamer but in value for money this is still probably the best vetiver around. Personally, I find it much more appealing and true to the root’s nature than the current run-of-the-mill vetivers (including many “niche”). A complex, fresh, woody composition with smoky nuances and a retro, barbershop, soapy vibe. The latter may discourage some, especially the younger audience which may find it somehow too “oldman” for them.
However this is a landmark of perfumery and any serious perfume lover must buy it in order to establish his olfactory culture. Also everyone who wishes to learn the tricks of the vetiver trade must sign up for classes. As with all great perfumes note separation is beyond the point. Masterpiece.

ian85
ian85

One of my favorites. In my opinion, a great classic, but not dated at all. Citrus in the opening, and a beautiful vetiver in the middle and base notes. Paradoxically fresh and warm, efficient in all seasons, day and night. A l'école du bon goût.
Masterpiece and nothing to add.
10 / 10

k_althawadi
k_althawadi

ilove it from the first notes to the drydown .,

andreaszabo
andreaszabo

This is the perfect Vetiver for me. I’ve owned vetiver essential oil for years, which is heavy and sticky, very deep and rich and oily.

Guerlains’ Vetiver is the essence of the root set free into rarefied space. If I would set foot into a very clean dry root cellar full of vetiver roots, this would be the smell of the air. I can imagine; spices, soil, sand, earth, timber, sweet roots, fruit preserves whatever other residual cellar odors there may be rounding out the uniqueness of this root.
I feel this composition can be used under any decent fragrance to ground it a little, the perfect fragrance for layering. The little black dress in the closet.
This is perfection.

Zazenh

I love Vetiver and I was in the market for a serious vetiver now that I've started collecting fragrances and become a little more committed to enjoying and buying fragrances. I just picked this up today and .......it is simply gorgeous. Ignore the first 15-20 min as it's way too strong with the Bergamot, which adds an almost feminine quality, but after it passes, you're left with this beautiful ,soapy, damp earth, wet grass, refreshing and invigorating scent It's both mysterious and elegant at the same time. I'm very happy with the purchase, and it's very affordable. This fragrance is a mix of class, mystery and yet "fresh" wrapped up in one. A must have for all fragrance lovers.

cl600599
cl600599

decent scent, a little too citrusy

i would recommend Tom Ford Grey Vetiver rather then this

Tassio12
Tassio12

I agree with @boulouboulou... some people find this fragrance offensive, which is mind boggling to me because I am in absolute love with it. I just got it and I'm already addicted to it. It starts out sharp and a bit astringent, but give it five minutes and the journey begins.... the citrus and earth-spicey top notes are wonderful. Then after 15 minutes the real magic begins: the vetiver and tobacco. Oh my, what a well crafted gem. This fragrance exudes class and sharp cleanliness.

I can't tell for sure, but I think the sillage of this smells considerably different than what I get from the incessant wrist-sniffing that I do all day wearing this. The projection is more soapy/clean/barbershop smell, but the close to the skin smell is gentler, maybe where the resinous base notes reside.

I think it is a year round scent but I am guessing that my love for this will go into the stratosphere when the temps get above freezing and into the hot summer months. Definitely a day time scent, I wouldn't wear this on a date. Longevity is great, I get 8+ hours no problem. Sillage is unpredictable and may be very dependent on temperature, so be careful... three sprays is plenty, probably can get away with two.

10/10, what a wonderful and addictive scent.

boulouboulou
boulouboulou

The reference vetiver.

A monumental stone in french perfumery.
OK it is soapy, ok it is a bit dated, but still a very good value. Be careful, some people really don't like this. But hey, do you really use perfume to please others ? Mainly, i don't. I wear this one under my shirt, directly on the skin and sniff it all day long with a little smile on my face. So beautifully crafted !

Thanks JP, this is a solid one.

Thomaso7

If any scent smells like a million bucks spraying right out of the spritzer, this is it. It is so rich and sparkly up front, and leaves a marvelous scent trail. The picture above of the guy sailing through the trees describes this perfume perfectly, even with the little bit of humidity and the sunlight.
If you go light with this it starts off nice, and dries down to a very dry scent like the texture of dry paper. If you go heavy, you will notice more of the citrus up front, and it will dry down to a richer smokier aspect than going lighter. Overall it is rich, citric, peppery spicy, juicy, dry, rough, clean, earthy, perfumey, aromatic. There is also a lot of nutmeg in this, and I think tobacco causes it's richness. But it also is a scent that smells of springtime and cool fresh air and wet earth warming up in the morning sunshine.
When I first tried this, I immediately loved it, and it was the best scent I had ever smelled.

DragonflySparrow
DragonflySparrow

I like this cologne on a man. Being a young woman (well, we both just turned 30), I have smelled my fair share of Axe Body Spray (yuck) and other aquatic/feminine scents while walking down the men's perfume isle... But this could possibly be the scent of a man in a bottle. Green, tobacco-y, fuzzy-coolness by a smokey fireplace. It lets the natural scent of the guy wearing it shine through, which is what we women like to smell anyway. Nice.

Bretto66
Bretto66

A stunning perfume. I believe this is the best vetiver fragrance. Viva la Guerlain! 5 Stars

Just sampled the vintage "gold cap" EdT, and the smell is quite similar to the most recent one but this seems smoother.

Wolfpocalypse Now
Wolfpocalypse Now

Fresh, clean, green, and mature. By mature, I mean self-assured, well-rounded, and time-tested, not "old." This fragrance is one of my absolute favorite fragrances to wear to work, and also to wear casually. It's not a "date night" fragrance in my opinion, but there are other, cozier, more inviting fragrances for that. I wear this fragrance when I want to be taken seriously -- it is serious and austere, but far from intimidating. 9/10

iammyping
iammyping

Good stuff.Maybe a tad too strong at the beginning,but it is holding beautifully. Smells so simple,yet majestic,pure,elegant and clean...

shahab.zaidi
shahab.zaidi

One of the best masterpiece. Opening is bit harsh but let the dry down comes and this part is magical. I already a loyal owner of another masterpiece by Guerlain "Habit Rouge".
The old perfumes by Guerlain are alleged to be iconics having the mystery. But the new ones are plain and generic with no character. This is not a sillage monster as its soft. I dont understand why do people call it unisex. Its all way masculine.

pars2002
pars2002

first, you should be a vetiver fan to enjoy it. If you do not like vetiver please don't buy. Second, It is definitely classic and old-fashioned but I don't mean it is bad.It is very clean and after spraying you feel you had a long shower with "Fa" soap. Let it dries down to show the vetiver amazing beauty ,while the opening could disappoint you.
Among vetiver base designer perfumes, Creed original vetiver is a safer choice although more expensive.(Almost 200 USD)if you are vetiver lover, Guerlain vetiver is a MUST in your collection.

PS : After almost 48 hrs on my shirt, it turned to something similar Lalique Encre Noire, but more sophisticated and rich. The pure vetiver is still there and is shining. I am lovin it!

roll4fun
roll4fun

This is a revision of my last fall review in more ways than one, starting with (I think) placing this in the proper section. I suspect that I have the reformulated version, based on Oct. 2010 batch date.

Secondly, I like this much better as a summer vs a fall fragrance in that my summer wearings (and recent FL vacation wearings) had a fresher lean to it. Contrast that to the more dank/smoky vibe that I was getting last fall. The nice thing about the most recent wearings is that I don't really pick up lemon notes, per se, as much as I do a general, overall fresher scent. More like fresh cut grass than dark smoky tobacco.

Although I've noticed a recent slight weakening of scent (remember bottle is 4 yrs old now), I still get 4-5 hours on my skin, with ~3 hours of moderate projection. I've used up most of my 50 ml bottle in the last 4 months. I just might spring for a 100 ml bottle when this one runs out.

Jasminalia
Jasminalia

Probably the best perfume ever created. Everytime I wear it, I feel like I discover a new ingredient in it.
Beautiful on a woman too !

Dodgy
Dodgy

I think that this shall always be the fragrance that I shall go to as the reference of what vetyver means. Clean, fresh and summery, but with depth and some mystery.

Beautiful

magimagi999
magimagi999

I will try it again in 2-3 days. I can't quite put my finger on it, but when I thought it was gone after an hour it wasn't, it was the sillage that for me meant putting my nose right in the place where I sprayed it to smell it. It's not a first love though, similar to Aramis or Fahrenheit. It smelled like I remember soap smelled when I was little.

eliweisz
eliweisz

After a series of tests I finally gave up. Sorry, can't wear it - with all my due respect towards the house of Guerlain. On my skin, it's too medicinal. I feel extremely uncomfortable with this scent.
Of course, it's only my personal impression. This classic Vetiver can perform absolutely wonderful on other people - in the comments below, there's a solid proof of that. Longevity and sillage are pretty good. Strong stuff, for serious people only.
Just one tip: try before you buy! Forget the reviews, make your own opinion. Otherwise, you can find yourself inside an old pharmacy, exactly like yours truly.

silentman26
silentman26

Vetiver, tobacco and leather. Mysterious and wild ... spicy and woody ... brings back memories. Masculine, dry, earthy smell that projects very well and lasts. Explosive sillage ... love at first smell ... A masterpiece from Jean-Paul Guerlain.

RobAtSGH
RobAtSGH

Guerlain Vetiver opens with a sharp hit of spice and citrus. The pepper and nutmeg combine in a way that reads to me personally as cinnamon, laying over top of a dry, pithy lemon and orange peel. After the initial blow off, a soapy, green, herbal/woody vetiver and tobacco becomes the main accord, sage and oakmoss providing support to the greener bits. As it wears on, it gets earthier and more leathery, the herbals becoming increasingly muted, until it trails off into a world of earth, leaf mould, garden 'mums, and mossy trees. Unlike drier, woodier vetivers, it remains "clean" to the end.

This is a fragrance for summer nights after a rain, early autumn when the leaves are just starting to fall, and the inside of a wool coat on a cold winter's day. It's the perfect antidote for boring woody aquatics, while still remaining on the freshly-scrubbed side of the fence.

As a whole, vetiver fragrances can become an obsession if you let them get under your skin. This is as good a place as any to start.

iconoclast
iconoclast

@ssg. Hi, today I tested the latest formulation in the old style bottle with the silver cap. I've also had a bottle of the older formula in the same style bottle but with a gold cap. Frankly I found that there is virtually no difference between the two - they smell identical and have similar sillage and longevity.

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

Classic clean vetiver. Not dark and dirty like Encre Noire. Very uplifting and bright. Sadly I just finished my bottle but I will cherish the smell. Most likely I will go after Veviter Fatal by Atelier next. Anyway, many call this an intro to vetiver but it's a great one. Affordability and The Guerlain name have made it known to many of us and repeat buyers. Longevity and sillage are excellent. Can be worn year round also.

Antares811
Antares811

A classic, a great scent for men. Fresh, spicy, elegant and longlasting.
One of my favorite fragrances on a man.
Highly recommended.

Cyrus Smith
Cyrus Smith

How I use to love this one.
Wore it for quite some time in the 90's but when the fragrance was relaunched in 2000, with a new flacon (probably had gone through reformulation), the chemistry and scent were totally different on me. From a similar opening I was left with a sour and bitter vetiver. At the time the salesperson at the Guerlain counter told me my skin/complexion had probably changed. Overnight? Mmmm? I bought another bottle... same thing. This used to be an amazing scent that I never got tired of wearing and then...

Kiku
Kiku

Guerlain launched this in 1961 as a men's fragrance. Today it would probably be considered unisex, as it should be. A scent this good has no gender. It is fresh and clean in a soft way and not too sweet. It is reminiscent of that beautiful moment just after a spring rain. For men, this is a "go to". It is perfect for any time of the day, any time of year, any occasion. For women, it is perhaps more "safe" than go to. Women may want something a little more dazzling for special events. Nevertheless, it is perfect. Everyone should have a bottle of it.

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

Long Gone Memory...

Guerlain Vetiver was the first perfume I ever wore. I wore it to my high school senior prom to impress who became a very special girlfriend for the next 4 years.

Since, I've purchased Vetiver back in the years 2000 and 2006. In both instances Vetiver took my memory back to that night and the very special time we had.

Once I again I purchased a bottle in 2013...how terrible it was for me to find out that the fragrance no longer bottled the memories it used to rekindle in me. It had changed...memories lost...

What happened? Was it reformulated? It is still a fabulous and glorious fragrance, don't get me wrong. But something in it, however small it may be, has changed from what I used to smell in my prior purchases which has thrown off my scent trail back to a special time in my life.

Ravenwind
Ravenwind

This is the Vetiver cologne that all others must be compared too. Being an outdoorsman, it is the essence of walking through a summer woods and field after it has rained, with a spear or two of sunlight poking through the clouds…the air itself alive and full of life. This blend is perfectly balanced and isn't overdone. For the older age group only. Great longevity.

ssg
ssg

Hello all. Grateful if someone could give me some clarification. What is the difference between this bottle with the silver cap and the bottle that 34 people say it smells similar to that has a gold cap? Is one vintage and the other now? Thanks!

I'm wanting to buy one that is not the latest reformulation I suppose if it has more longevity and sillage etc. :)

DSun
DSun

I absolutely love vetiver and I have gone through several ounces of its essential oil experimenting--trying to make the perfect vetiver incarnation. But whenever I smell Jean-Paul Guerlain's composition, it makes me want to cry. I feel small and inconsequential and inept. All that time, money, effort for nothing. And he did it in his 20s!!!

Damn you, Guerlain! Did you really have to make the defining composition that every vetiver creation would be compared to? I mean, really? Seriously? Really?

Yet I shall have my final revenge. I shall see you weep in agony and despair when my oakmoss-vetiver-cardamom combination comes to fruition. HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Cardenal Mendoza
Cardenal Mendoza

Purchased this recently to see me through the summer alongside my bottle of the legendary Hermes Equipage. So far I have been very impressed and am finding it fresh, alluring, complex and addictive. Here are some of my thoughts:

In the top I get citrus, clove, lemongrass, aldehydes and nutmeg; in the middle faint liquorice, mentholated lime and coriander; and in the base I get vetiver, a soft lingering tobacco and faint lemony spice. This may not coincide with the notes listed, but it is what my nose is picking up. It is masculine in a very charming way, classical and fresh with a sharp, clean-shaven soapy element. Seldom does a man carry that scent in the modern age and so many women get sentimental and amorous over this strong signature of masculinity.

Vetiver was clearly a milestone in male perfumery, the benchmark against which all other vetivers would be compared. It really is hard for me to fault this fragrance and indeed the house of Guerlain. With this and Equipage in my wardrobe I feel it's going to be a truly wonderful summer... Guerlain's Vetiver is pheromones in a bottle. Bravo Jean-Paul!

Nick_Ks
Nick_Ks

I have received my Guerlain Vetiver 75ml this morning.
This is class into a bottle.It seperates men from the boys,in my opinion.It lasts and projects long.
It is very dinstictive.It does not have the common marine smell of other summer fragrances.If you are looking for a spring-summer fragrance with unique smell,this one is an excellent choice.
Well done Guerlain!

kagisho
kagisho

I just received this bottle as a gift today, I am in love with it. very stylish smell for spring I think.

1welshdevil

I made a mistake opting for Chopard's Vetiver ahead of this one, but after a few days usage I had to visit the Guerlain counter to get one. Guerlain in my opinion make the best Vetiver, the longevity is fantastic. I love the opening, for me I get tobacco and citrus, the drydown is so good. This is a wonderful fragrance.

Amparo Noir
Amparo Noir

When my husband first bought this, i thought it was more or less like chanel no 19, due to its green colour eventhough this has paler green. also, i had no idea what vetiver was, as i thought its just a name of one of the guerlain's fragrances.

Well, it's not like chanel no 19 at all, this has a more earthy, soil-dirt like smell. The initial is quite robust, fresh and uplifting, and it stays the same with a dense earthy notes at its dry down. this is for the poised and in-control.

Still i have no idea what a vetiver is. It's a type of grass, lalang-like but it's different. Havent ventured on any other vetiver fragrances, but i will someday.

nero77
nero77

The "Classic" Vetiver...

Jean-Paul Guerlain's Vetiver was one of the the first fragrances composed primarily around Vetiver, and it has become a classic ever since.

For me, when I first opened this and sprayed it I was shocked. It smelled like an old man! Not just that, but an old people's retirement home! I was horrified, and for a long time I couldn't get this image out of my head!

But I gave it time (like all Guerlain's), and guess what? I love it now! I wouldn't be without it. I now think that if I only had to choose two fragrances to wear for the rest of my life, it would be this and Habit Rouge.

So, what's not to like here? You have fresh, bright Lemon and dry, spicy pepper in the opening, joined by Nutmeg, a hint of Tobacco, and raw, earthy dry Vetiver throughout. Jean-Paul Guerlain made this when he was only 20 years old (an amazing feat for a perfumer), and he based it on the smell of a gardener, working in the crisp, early morning. Whilst wearing this you really do feel active, dynamic and alive. If you close your eyes you can imagine what the air smells like at dawn in a dew-covered field in the early morning mist, the crisp, cold air mixing with the smell of earth and grass.

It's very green, very fresh, very alive. This one really lifts you up and it sets you up for the day brilliantly. Like standing in a field and taking in the cold morning air. It also reminds me of green jungles, and it's no surprise because this product was originally sold to Mexico, where they imported the Vetiver essence exclusively from Guerlain, and there was a huge demand for the smell of Vetiver in Latin America. For that reason, I also think it works (exceptionally) well in hot weather, cutting through the heat beautifully... the fresh lemon lifting up the green, earthy Vetiver and making it a very clean, almost soapy smell.

Look, I know not everyone will like this one at first, but if you like green, earthy and fresh... you'll really love this one. Just try it on a spring or summer morning just before stepping out of the house into the air. You'll see what I mean, what kind of effect it has. I love this one, love it, and love Guerlain for making this. No Vanilla, no Amber or heavy Florals. Just pure green, refreshing energy! Great stuff.

hasanbenvidi
hasanbenvidi

خس خس . دودی .میشه گفت کمی صابونی.ادم یاد تمیزی میافته. یکم قدیمیه بوی بابا ها رو میده .پخش متوسط ماندگاری بالا. کم گیر میاد .کلا خوشبو و باکیفیت اما قبل از خرید تست کنید.

maknine ezzine

have just added pepper and tobacco to the bottom is my CONJUNCTION vintage version but more beautiful

suryopras
suryopras

I got it today and try it smell too balsamic with many lavender. I am 30 but I think its for 40, so at now its not for me.

sdcga161
sdcga161

Just received my bottle (and deodorant) from Bloomingdales, and let me just say: wow! A delicious, breezy scent that suggest walking barefoot across a freshly mowed lawn on a warm day in June. The barefoot is essential, because this scent is so grounded in green. I definitely feel the age of this one, too. It comes at you with an almost arrogant grounding in the past, as if daring you to reject something so delicious just because your father might have worn it.

As I mentioned, I also purchased the deodorant stick, and I layered it underneath the fragrance. It pulled the scent even deeper into the ground, to a level of earthiness and root. What a beautiful, fascinating experience.

aLmoravado
aLmoravado

I love vetiver, and Vetiver Guerlain has a lot of it. It is more vetiver-y than Encre Noir, and a great fragrance nevertheless. I can see that it doesn't last as long as Encre Noir though, and If I were to buy either one of them, it'd be Encre Noir.

Scent 9 / 10
Projection 7 / 10
Longevity 7 / 10

picasso_x
picasso_x

Classic vetiver scent. I've think it same original, just a little different from original. It's charm and elegant,fresh green aromatic and earthy odor. Truly gentleman style. Good sillage and long last. Perfect for office wear in hot weather. Highly recommend for humid land.

Rod1969
Rod1969

I love the smell of this stuff..love sniffing the cap, but thats about as good as it gets for me, unfortunately. It seems that I have to douse myself in this to try and get it to last, but its as though my skin is teflon, and the juice just will not stick.

4 to 5 heavy sprays onto the neck and chest and I stroll about in a thick green plume for 5 min, then it gets way better for an hour, then an hour later its dropped right off but still noticable and good, then another hour passes and its pretty much gone.

Tragic...cause it a hell of a smell.

jaypleski
jaypleski

One of the very best vetivers. Fresh, green, uplifting, the scent you wear when you just want a no fuss all-rounder.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

This was recommended to me by many Fragranticans as the quintessential vetiver. After sampling and wearing it all day for 2 days I can say that I agree. This scent sprays on so beautifully with a gorgeous light almost sparkling bergamot with the smoky vetiver coming through strongly. It remains with these 2 notes in the forefront and then before you realize it more beautiful notes have emerged into a stunning pyramid of scent. This is not a linear scent. It expands exponentially to allow more and more beautiful notes into its symphony so that hours into the drydown you are sniffing gorgeous leather, sweet tobacco leaves and strong pepper and nutmeg. The whole is so much greater than each of the parts. This is a true beauty that I will wear proudly.

I don't think this is a loud perfume at all. it seems refined and rather understated to me, very cosmopolitan and unisex. For the reviewer who thinks it would take guts to wear this, I definitely have the chutzpah to carry this one off as a woman. I love smoky scents, spices and bergamot so this is perfect for me.

rum
rum

This scent is not to be judged purely on its scent. What do I mean? Well, you'll need to understand a bit about modern fragrance history to appreciate this one - it was grounbreaking for its time and brought a whole new dimension to scents.
Guerlain wanted to capture the scent of the earth after the summer rain and was inspired by nature when he set out to create his first ever scent - Vetiver.
A grass or root that grows under the ground, the scent of vetiver is spicy and of course earthy. This fragrance is all of that but cleverly wrapped up in citrus and highlighted with notes of tobacco. But this isn't a smoky scent and hence can be appreciated in the warmer months or in wet weather. It fits the inspiration behind it perfectly and is venerated by many as a true classic.

pronose

again where is the original????? guerlain must stop reformulating all the oldies!!!!!

app9
app9

This is such a perverted perfume!! I was struck by the nutmeg combined to all that green.

And it does smell like something very clean, but still so dirty. It is just so wrong. And it's sharp, but quite round at the same time. You can smell the vetiver, oh yes. And then there is the civet, and the perfume reaches a new level of kinky.

I'd say it takes a person to wear this. I did not like it, as it was kind of cold and metallic. But it smelled so much better after some sweating. Not for me, but I appreciate the person who has the guts for it.

orchid thief
orchid thief

this one's incomparable! a must have

Critic
Critic

An all time great. Wonderful fresh vetiver with tobacco making an appearance. This is one of the only fragrances where the tobacco is 'smoky'. Other fragrances have a more herbal tobacco, but when I wear this, I almost get the vibe of cigarette smoke.

A quite beautiful scent. When I first tested it, it lasted more than 2 days on my wrist. Yes, I did shower.

One gripe - perhaps it's this whole 'guerlinade' thing but there's a rather annoying old lady powder vibe that happens close to the end. Kinda like shalimar. But we're talking after 12 hours plus here.

9.9/10

RES2525
RES2525

Peppery vetiver root revealing itself from the sweet beaming warmth of citrus that is predominated by a great clean lemon note. This stuff evokes dirty and clean simultaneously. Amazing stuff and I do wish I had another bottle.

I can pick out some of the other notes in the composition but they are blended so well and in harmony no one voice stands out with vetiver and lemon holding first chair.

Peppery. Warm. Clean and dirty. Sweet and soapy. This would make some awesome soap!

This is classic masculine to me. It's like a tailored dandy with rough hands.

A must try! Thumbs up!

The New Monaco
The New Monaco

This is - to my nose - definitively an oldfashioned "stinker". After 2 hours I tried to scrub it off - which was useless. I do not want to smell like this nor would I like to have colleages wearing this. BTW: Always be alarmed if you get 'compliments' to something you wear ....

devrajsingh73
devrajsingh73

I work at a hot and humid tropical city. Temp is 32 to 38 degrees centigrade during day time for almost entire year. One will need a EDT with excellent staying power and a fresh aura around you. I have pretty neat collection (check wardrobe) of aquatic and citrus EDT's in my summer collection. But this one absolutely stands out as PAPA to all of them. Vetiver is dominant and gives you freshly showered feel whole day (10 hrs for sure with me). I have noticed that I really have high confidence levels the day I wear this at work. And the only one which gets me compliments. Wonderful wonderful just wonderful. Undoubtedly my signature now.

pronose

nothing to do with the original formula!!!!! guerlain has reformulated this and others scents and it's a shame!!!!! we buy fake scents by guerlain!

sf2explus
sf2explus

Do you like a clean simple soapy smell that is what you get with this timeless classic. it lasts an easy 6-8 hours on skin after sparaying this on skin it is quite a beast but settles down quickly and stays close to the skin, someone close to you will smell it. some will mistake it for not being a fragrance but rather the soapy smell left on your skin from the shower you may have had earlier on. when you are dressed well this is what you put on to smell sophisticated and classy. I recommend any man 30 and up to try this scent. for the price you will not find many vetiver's that smell better. I am now in my 30's and have picked the right time to add this to my wardrobe. I have always respected the scent but knew it would suit me better in my 30's. These kind of fragrances never smell dated. The scent is like opening your window in early spring and you get that cold wind blowing in your face and you can get the slight smell of grass and some earthy tones with the coolness of the air.

Scent 8/10

SDVHC
SDVHC

Generally I don't like much the vetiver... I think that however this is a good choice for who looking for a vetiver perfume.

RHONORAY
RHONORAY

The mother ship of vetiver's. A clean, mature scent (with staying power) for grown-ups, for a man's man. Great everyday, any occasion or any season scent that's very affordable. Pound for pound, dollar for dollar this is tough to beat.Proof that you don't have to spend a fortune to smell great!

DocNZ
DocNZ

This is amazing stuff, but my journey with it had a rough start.....

I bought a 2ml sample of this several months ago. I was excited when it arrived; it's French...it's Guerlain...it's got to be good ...right?

Well, when I first smelt it...Peee-eew. It was terrible. It smelt harshly chemical like an industrial strength bug killer. I washed it off immediately thinking that I was sent a fake. This is not perfume, this is flyspray.

I read the reviews here, appreciated that some people had similar experiences, and appreciated that, like most French perfumes, first impressions are not lasting impressions. I've been fooled before.

A few weeks later I gave it another go. I let the fragrance settle and..my god...the magic began.

The harsh opening seconds died away into a beautiful fresh sweet scent with a soft vetiver note. I couldn't stop smelling it. It was intoxicating. I felt clean, energetic and alive. I felt sophisticated, I felt debonair. This is an amazing elixir. All the notes seem so well blended I find it difficult to discern them all. They all work so wonderfully well together.

It lasts a good 6 hours on me, with a moderate silage.
I wear it during the day, and it seems well suited to the impending Spring.

This is a must buy for any vetiver lover.

partan.iran
partan.iran

ببینین بوی وتیور که کلا توش هست پس اگه با وتیور مشکل دارین حتی تستش هم نکنید.بوی وتیورم که میدونید چه جوریه؟ من اسمشو میزارم نوعی بوی بی روح چوبی خیسی!
اولش این عطر کمی بوی ضعیف لیمو میده اما لیموش تازه و ترش نیست انگار لیمو خشکه! یعنی تازگیشو از وتیور و عناصردیگه ای میگره.
این بوی مرکبات میره کمکمو بوی چوبیو وتیوریش بیشتر میشه بیربط نیست که بگم بوی چوب گونش مارو یاد این لالیک های خدا بیامرز میندازه کمی
تو کل بوی عطر کمی بویی مثل سبزیجات میادو میره!
کلا عطری هست که شما رو کمی خنک میکنه خنکی که حس طبیعت وسبز بودن میده بهتون
اینکه این عطر مدرن هست یا نه رو جوابشو میزارم به عهده خودتون، چون واکنش آدما در مورد بوهای وتیوری کاملا متفاوت هست اما اگه این فاکتور مهمه براتون قبل خرید کلی تستش کنین

Redbeard
Redbeard

A few days ago I tried the pre-2000 version on one arm and the post-2000 on the other. The old version smelled sweeter and more richly expressive in the top, but then got very weak, leaving only a little smoky green behind. (The funny thing is, I don't remember it being so weak on the previous times I've worn it.) The new version was sharper and stronger for the whole duratino, with more sour citrus in the top, and a reedy smell which I was able to pick up all throughout the development. I've found this reediness in the bases of a few other summery frags and I quite like it; it makes me think of bamboo. It appeals to me more than the tobacco in the base of the old version. Overall, they're noticeably different scents, but I like them both. They both convey the same classical candid and clean virility even though they go about it differently. If the old one continues to be weak in the middle and base for me, however, then even its richer top will not win it my favor over the new one. Still, it could just be that my bottle of the old version has lost some of its kick over the years.

oliseeger
oliseeger

Always thought of it as a summer fragrance due the clean, earthy freshness. Used it after the shower just in hot summer days (can be really hot here in Brazil). Even being a huge Guerlain fan, I’ve never spent too much thought on Vetiver. Well, gave it a try another day. It was a cold day and thought that it would be good to try this scent in another weather…maybe it would show another side of it. Well, must say that it was quite different. The same freshness was there but accompanied by a sweet tone. After a while this sweetone came more and more to the surface and it was lovely!
Maybe Vetiver work better in the winter than in the summer!

fhr
fhr

This is too dry and too tobacco-full vetiver for me. Realized that this is not for me, I do prefer more sweeter vetiver like L'occitane Vetyver.

varykino
varykino

This was an impulse buy on the strength of the bright, crisp top notes and its unisex reputation. As it turned out, I got overwhelming, heavy tobacco and a smoky masculine vibe from the drydown, to the extent that I felt all awkward and wrong-footed the one and only time I tried wearing this in public.

So that was a big let-down, but I'm consoled by (if a bit envious of) how well my husband wears it. On him, the citrus and vetiver dominate, with a nice hint of tobacco sweetness. It smells somehow tawny-green, and makes me think of windswept beach grass, glassy green waves and driftwood bonfires. A vibe of seaside holidays and freedom, delicious! All right, he can have this one. :)

Jose Marcos
Jose Marcos

Oh My God, what a lovely fragrance. Indeed, I have that feeling of meeting again an old acquaintance, so familiar and yet this is the first time I have GV in my hands. I know, the olde men/granddaddy smell some of us like to report immediately. Nevertheless, guerlain Vetiver is just gorgeous, clean and above all, masculine. Maybe it is that what some think of being oldie, Masculinaty. The tabacco note is not that strog and most of them are so well blended that you think all is part of the vetiver itself. Now having them both I can say that the Extreme is in fact stronger and bolder than the original, more mature and less casual although I wouldn't wear Vetiver Extreme in the evening, they seem to ask for daylight to shine throughout the day. I am extremely happy with my purchese, specailly after the letdown that was Aqua Fahrenheit. It is worth the price and I am considering layering GV with Eau Sauvage Parfum for a more impact impression when the occasion asks for.

an.jorePipip
an.jorePipip

At first time I tried it, I didn't really get it...since I had been wearing Lalique Encre Noire at that time. But when my friend asked me, what perfume I want for my birthday, I said "Guerlain Vetiver"...and I glad I did. This perfume is gorgeous, the vetiver is dominant but smoother than Encre Noire, it has maturity and all I can say that, Guerlain Vetiver is great perfume. Period.

Smyle12

I received my "early 2000s" 4.2 bottle yesterday. The bottle is just as beautiful as I had imagined, and the smell of this fragrance exudes sophistication, class, and masculinity. How and or why women wear this, I'm not quite sure, but to each their own. :) Initially one is greeted by a soft burst of sweet, effervescent citrus, that (and it is crazy that the reviewer below me mentions this, as I was going to do the very same anyway) reminds me of the smell of Sprite soda. After about 20-30 minutes, while the bright, sweet, citrus vibe remains, the rooty, earthy, vetiver begins to rear it's head, as do the pepper, nutmeg, spices and tobacco. After about three hours, the various natural ingredients within this complex, debonair, masterpiece, solidify, and one is left with a deep, earthy, clean, yet slightly dirty, fresh, vaguely soapy, and savory scent. Yes, savory. It's not so much that the early 2000s version of this scent becomes "powdery" on me as it fades, but it becomes rather vegetal, and I ADORE this total curveball! Thus, we have gone from, fruit, to roots, soil, spice, vegetables. Jean-Paul Guerlain's attempt to bottle the smell of his family's gardener after a hard day's work in the sun is as flawless as it is beautiful, and in the latter half of it's life I can detect the savory aromas of sautéed carrots and celery. I should mention here that I possess a degree in culinary arts, and while what I mention above may not sound appealing, this stage of Vetiver's life is perfectly executed, very masculine and at once enticing. The fragrance becomes a "savory gourmand" of sorts to me, wafting of the delicate, subtlety nuanced vegetables, salt, pepper, and spices of a painstakingly prepared gourmet meal. I've pondered upon this, and if there were ever a scent for a vegan or vegetarian, this would be the one (Shhhhhhh!!! on the civet, however!!! lol). What a wonderfully complex, classy, and entirely unique fragrance! I don't get any sort of old-man vibe from this fragrance at all, although it certainly doesn't smell remotely like any other modern fragrance I can think of. Thank you, J-P Guerlain!!! I will be wearing this unique treasure (in only my finest clothes, as Vetiver is the antithesis of a casual scent) for the rest of my life.

10/10: Astounding.

hornetz
hornetz

The gold standard for all vetiver colognes out there. Guerlain's Vetiver opens with a bright fresh citrusy blast that kind of reminds me of sprite. The vetiver on this is absolutely amazing and fresh. This is the one you can wear all year round as a signature and never get tired of it as it develops in its own unique way. However, the dry down gets really powdery and then starts to show how dated it is. Wearing this makes me feel I am couple of decades too young to pull this off. Nevertheless a very versatile cologne that is perfect for mature gentlemen.

Smyle12

NobleRoman you just summed up why I decided to blind buy a 4.2 of this masculine, classic, earthy, scent in it's equally (in my eyes) classic, stunning, ribbed-glass bottle, which is said to represent the layers of a man's life. I even managed to find it in it's pre-recession, pre-IFRA, package too, and for a great deal. I can imagine myself only loving this one more and more as I age, and wanted to own a piece of "modern" perfume history. I will review it after I receive and familiarize myself with it (if my paltry words can even do it justice), which with the very best of scents, so often they cannot.

pronose

again the original formula has changed bu guerlain and it's not what it used to be !!!!! dommage!

NobleRoman
NobleRoman

This one is for the man that travels to Paris, London, and Rome. He takes whatever life gives him, and succeeds. Good for every situation. You can never go wrong with this juice.

Guerlain Vetiver is a rarity for me because for once civet doesn't turn into a screaming monster on my skin. In fact, I actually appreciate it in Vetiver because it starts off quite astringent.
After the initial vetiver/citrus/neroli blast this softens quite a bit with a lot of tonka and a slight animalic mustiness.
On my skin Vetiver actually dries down quite sweet. Tonka is the star, accompanied by leather and orris root.
A bit "old fashioned" but not in a brashly masculine, in your face kind of way.
Vetiver truly surprised me because it contains a number of notes that normally do not work on my skin, carnation, civet and coriander and yet, it does. It doesn't just work, it's pleasant. A bit soapy for my taste, but overall a nice fragrance.

hadrian
hadrian

A liquid wonder!
For the ageless modern man, a classic marvel. If you don't like it from the first shot, do not try again - better leave it for those who are able to appreciate the eternal meaning of beauty.
Three drops on your skin will open the Heaven's doors.
Sorry, Tom Ford - but Guerlain's is, some of us said, the best vetiver distiled by the human race.
Excellent for spring & summer. Very good all over the year.
A genuine 9+/10

GMK
GMK

Another Classic which i dont like due its grassy and linear growth or probably i dont like the vetiver accord while its dominating with out the hint of Musk , sandal or any other base...

Although its been highly appreciated by female co workers whenever applied but it reminds me tea with out milk.

baldheadjim
baldheadjim

Wearing a sample of Guerlain Vetiver today for a fresh spring vibe. Starts off with an old damp basement scent that fortunately fades quickly. Wonder what ingredient causes it. After a minute or so i get a wonderful blast of citrus and vetiver blend. Now its has been 3.5 hours since application and the vetiver is still radiating nicely. Also thought i smelled oak moss. The wife used words green and fresh to describe it.

sussex2
sussex2

On my first attempt I was somewhat put off by the top notes found in Guerlain's Vetiver. I was reminded of old, damp cardboard left to sit on the garage floor for too long. An unexpected introduction that didn't bode well.

After some minutes had passed, however, the fragrance evolved into a perfectly balanced and beautiful scent. The ingredients had of course been present all along but just needed tweaking up or down a little to find their rightful places - with the help of skin and air. The main notes, as I experienced them, were sage, orris root, pepper and of course vetiver.

A lot of other ingredients are also present in this complex but finely blended creation. I'm sure that, given time, future wearings will reveal other important notes. With something that smells this good patience comes easily.

This fragrance has an outdoors feel to it. Like turning over fresh soil with the edge of a sharp spade. Slicing through long buried roots and exposing moist, pure white flesh. Earthy but also very refined; a combination that calms and satisfies.

I have been won over by this scent. On my second try I already love the opening top notes - now transformed in my mind by a growing appreciation and understanding.

oliver1h
oliver1h

I am geting into vetiver more and more nowadays, so I decided buying a bottle from Guerlain to see what is their take on that note. Guerlain's Vetiver is a fresh, playful and gentle scent that projects maturity and class. On my skin it smells somewhat sweet (tonka bean and sage guess...), yet remains fresh (bergamot, pepper, lemon) with some tobacco in the background. Might be a little bit dated (but just a little), still very pleasant, and I will be certainly wearing it.

truffles
truffles

Mmm, loving this. Thank you to patxaran, below, for the sample. :)
At first sniff, I thought 'this REALLY reminds me of something from when I was younger and it's going to drive me mad 'til I work out what it is'.
Now, this is probably going to sound crazy/like sacrilege to many here but I quickly realised that Guerlain Vetiver has a very strong component in common with Estee Lauder White Linen.
I'm not even going to note the similarity above the reviews here because I know it will vanish immediately but my nose knows!
It's like a more wearable (for me) version of White Linen - some essence of WL but overlaid with lemon and spice.
I haven't checked out the notes of both perfumes yet, I don't really review like that, I'll have a look in a min.
Feels comfortable, it's going on my want list.
ps. I've just Googled 'Guerlain Vetiver White Linen' and NOTHING! Nobody else has noted a similarity. I'm telling you, either there's something wrong with my sense of smell or some top perfumers need to employ me as a nose quick! Call me, I'm available! :D

mysticaldeath
mysticaldeath

not bad, but kind of boring. along the same lines as JC elenas vetiver tonka. no magic going on here, but to each their own. very clean and inoffensive

patxaran
patxaran

There is no such thing as too much Vetiver for me when I am in the mood for it... I love Encre Noire for wintery days and was looking for a vetiver that would be suitable in spring and summer, and voila this is it! Does what it says on the bottle, unlike some other "vetiver" fragrances. The opening is a very cologne-like citrus blast which will gently linger on without overpowering the vetiver. As with many other (Guerlain) fragrances I find it hard to pick apart the different notes in the background but they are a timeless classy orchestration as one would expect. I look forward to wearing this scent when the winter is over.

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

After trying it on my skin, I knew this was a classy men's fragrance that gave a fresh clean aroma. I thought that the Vetiver was too much at first. After a couple of hour's it wasn't as strong as I thought. There is a pleasant smell of sage mixed with leather and a hint of tobacco that comes through. It is a very sophisticated masculine fragrance. It projects well without it being heavy. It is a must have which you won't regret. It can be worn all day including the evening. I have tired other's but they don't have well balanced aroma of Vetiver. There isn't any other line besides Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver that comes any where near to the quality that Guerlain produced. I'm most impressed with the fragrances, even the bottle has character which I find it very appealing to the overall presentation. Without a doubt I gave it two thumbs up.... a 10/10. ☆☆☆☆☆

mynameischarlie
mynameischarlie

If there's a better scent that screams "spring and clean", I don't know what it'd be. It opens with an orangey, lemony citrus smell that yields and blends with a somewhat smoky vetiver. Wearing it makes me feel happy, refreshed and clean. I also realize why so many others have imitated this stuff over the years--the fact that they have speaks volumes as to how good it really is.

pronose

again another victime of guerlain perfume slaughter!!!!! the whole scent has changed and it lost the original wonderful scent!!!!!!! shame on guerlain!

ranger
ranger

If I had to get rid of every one of my bottles and keep one, this would be it. I primarily wear Guerlain's Vetiver in the warmer months, but often use it in the colder weather because I miss smelling it. It doesn't over fatigue my nose as some stronger fragrances do. You know, the ones that smell great, but if you wear them day after day start to overpower your senses. So basically, I'm saying this is a great day to day fragrance that never grows tiresome or old. I own the older, gold colored version, the ribbed 2000 version, and the newest formulation. The oldest I rate an A+, and the others an A. The older version is a little deeper, richer, but not as long lasting as the two newer versions. The newer ones have a more pronounced top and last all day at work. Truth be told, it took me a few days before I got all the nuances of this magnificent fragrance. By the fourth or fifth wearing, I was hooked forever. It's the only fragrance that I have backups for my backups. I have tried over a dozen vetivers, and while many are great, nothing could replace Guerlain's Vetiver.

antfarm
antfarm

It makes me imagine a little lake with boats and piers with tall cat tails growing by the shore. And since it really smells like nature (and not like aftershave or something), I can't really say it's masculine, even though it's marketed as a men's fragrance. Guerlain Vetiver smells like the smokey-earthy-green roots ground up in a blender with a dash of lemon--not necessarily edible, but fresh and fantastic. This has an envigorating quality that makes my sinuses feel better and skin feel cooler.

schnauze63
schnauze63

This is my spring/summer fragrance - all earthy and herbal. Really like fragrances from this company... hopefully they will not be required to change all formulas using natural ingredients.

The stupid EU is set to destroy the perfume industry, based on "studies" backed by the producers of synthetic fragrances. You know that harsh chemical based crap?

Google it. "EU perfume ban". Trippy what these lousy technocrats can come up with.

recherche
recherche

I love how this fragrance smells on everyone else. Clean, green and crisp. On the other hand, it smells like sour cardboard on me. :(

Shtefitza
Shtefitza

I was probably ten when I got my 5ml sample of Vetyver. Also Ho Hang (Balenciaga). I guess my mom got those samples, my dad would not use them, so I played with them. Ho Hang was decidedly manly, but Vetyver was beautifully herbal, energizing and soothing. I loved vetyver notes in fragrances since. It awakens energetic, successful part of my soul. Very satisfying. I will have to try the new 2000 version.

Gingersnpr
Gingersnpr

This caught my attention in South beach Miami. I smelled it on a man and was blown away. 6 months later I smelled it again in Paris. Same GUY!!!!!! Random but true, I asked what it was and never for got the name or him. Bought it for myself to be reminded of a time which I wish i could bottle. I fell in love with a fragrance than the man. In the end, yeah this fragrance always curls my toes!!!!!!!!

Frankenstein
Frankenstein

Not bad, way better than habit rouge I also received today. I can see this one growing on me. I'm still trying to understand the actual "vetiver" scent. ... Great classy bottle, and it was cheap which is a plus.

MUST8936
MUST8936

Natural than Encre Noire(Encre Noire is more synthetic but I love it),elegant as Acqua di Parma Essenza or Eau Sauvage,sexy as Beyond Paradise for him and optimistic than Bvlgari Eau Parfumée Extréme.It's a part of me last 17 years.

pdschrader
pdschrader

It may be old school, but this is the one I find spraying on my wrist and sniffing all day!

Nicolas V
Nicolas V

This is a great, classic scent with a very dedicated following. Citrusy up top with a steady, workmanlike transition into vetiver, tobacco, and leather.

Excellent in its time, it comes off a bit dated now--as do most of Guerlain's older offerings for men--and dare I say, boring. I've owned a bottle for the last 6 years and don't ever find myself reaching for this one with much frequency. However, it smells positively fantastic on a woman and is great for layering.

If you want a classic vetiver just to own one, pick this up. On the other hand, if you are looking for a superior modern take, Lalique's Encre Noire beats it hands down, and Grey Vetiver is no slouch either.

Space Invader
Space Invader

Price: 5/10
Projection: 7/10
Versatility: 7/10
Compliments: 7/10
Buy/Try/Pass? Try
Rating (0-10): 6

Note: Smells a bit like an old man. Not a bad smell, though. Paul McCartney would wear it ;)

1welshdevil

Very masculine, long lasting and fresh fragrance. For me there is a lingering of tobacco in the latest version which i'm not crazy about. I love the fresh citrussy opening, but i'm not a huge lover of the dry down. 3.5/5, my least favourite from Guerlain, but still very well blended.

Blutengel

surrounding me
like a veil

Pascal
Pascal

When I smelled VETIVER for the first time, it had something irritating to me in its disinterest of hitting the usual crowd-pleasing buttons of perfumery trends. But this is exactly what makes me never feel tired of it.
To my mind, it is just like a classical masculine should be: A restraint but at the same time remarkable and distinctive visit card that is neither uninspired nor dandified.
It is its simplicity and balanced nature that makes this perfume fit every season and every occasion: Fresh enough to accompany you on a walk through the forest, yet warm enough to comfort you when back home or in the office. Reference vetiver.
Tried body shampoo and deodorant stick recently - these side products work great and contain high amounts of the EdT fragrance. Recommended!

magicnose
magicnose

At last I have this masterpiece in my collection (had to order it from the UK). I feel like I have just wandered into the Vetiver house of the three bears. First I tried the Encre Noir but it was too synthetic and screechy. Then I tried Creed Original Vetiver but it was too soapy and sweet. And then.....I tried Guerlain Vetiver and it was....JUST RIGHT. Sublime. I do agree with Luca Turin on this one - Guerlain Vetiver is still the reference vetiver.

greengirl65
greengirl65

I accidentally sprayed myself with Vetiver about 20 years ago, having wandered into the mens section of the tax-free parfumerie in a jetlagged daze. I was horrified at first and vowed I would wash this citrussy aftershave off ASAP! But before I had the chance I was totally enraptured by the magical scents developing on my wrists! I couldn´t keep my nose away and the smell lingered in my clothes long after. There began my love affair with any perfume containing a good dose of Vetiver. I have never found anything in the womens section that has ever smelt as entoxicating and sensuous as Guerlains Vetiver for men

Fimafeng
Fimafeng

This is a loveable perfume.
It is classic and really good smelling.
I got it from my grand dad when I was 18.
I enjoyed it at once although I was too young to really meet up with it.
I think a man should have worn it once in his lifetime as to become aware of classic times.
Top marks for this Vetiver made by Guerlain, not to be mistaken for other Vetiver productions by other houses that are not as complex as this one.

cee the scenter
cee the scenter

classic!green and little soapy piece. its not boring, still changing, ending with nice tobacco tones.mostly daytime office scent..

murysusanto
murysusanto

All that matters to me of a vetiver scent is guerlain vetiver extreme and frozen fragrance. I'm up for it while cooling down in malls and smell terrific.

turgay
turgay

Masculine, aggressive, stimulating and sexy fragrance

fuggerone
fuggerone

dry and masculine, prefer the extreme version!

For the 2000 formulation (as shown in the ribbed bottle):

I have had this scent in my rotation for years and simply adore it. I would agree with Grottola's review that the lemon is "zingy" in this on top, a dash more nutmeg & pepper and a lighter bottling than the epic juice of the mid-to-late 90's (and, therefore, more accessible). It was a key release after the power and depth of that amazing juice from the mid-to-late 90's, as it showed that Guerlain was taking vetiver right into the mainstream...a bold move! A lot of people previously discounted this bottling - I embrace it & love it!! A pinnacle release for the new millenium and it has the pedigree of Guerlain...still, "The Benchmark" vetiver.

The bright citrus opening of lemon, bergamot and coriander is vibrant, zesty and very lively. This is very easy to appreciate. The green note of vetiver comes through as well, but really settles after 10-15 minutes or so, but this is a wonderful, well-integrated fragrance. The heart does have the nice nutmeg, pinch of ground pepper and what I detect (which comes out of the late top notes) - a nice touch of neroli. The vetiver note strengthens here and the richness increases. This is wonderful!

Transitioning to the base of tonka bean, tobacco and a nice warmth develops - with the vetiver accord being sharp and radiant (but very smooth with the accompaning base notes). Although I love the brighter citrus on top and "seemingly" heavier tobacco (as the citrus opening and depth of the vetiver is not as powerful as previous Vintage formulations - so it stands out a bit more), it is too much for some people. To each their own. This is benchmark vetiver - still. Guerlain's gorgeous ribbed flacon (in the 75ml, 125ml, & 200ml) sizes of the 2000 formulation stood the test of time - a full decade of excellence. While it may not be as deep, rich and brooding as Vintage Guerlain Vetivers (which I own), it is definitely the bottle I wear most often. I never get tired of it - clearly one of my top scents! Invigorating. Energizing. It awakens the senses and has both class and distinction.

It is brilliantly composed and will go down, historically, as a key release from the Guerlain house of the majestic root, that welcomed the new millenium! I adore it for it's bright citrus opening, sharpness, freshness and bold tobacco note in the finish - with a deep, lush green vein of vetiver throughout the wearing. It may be less rich, but it is certainly a brighter and louder scent compared to others. Also, just fine for year-round wear - and ideal for Spring & Summer. This never gets cloying or heavy to me. It shows different with humidity and rain - both warm and cold temperatures. A personal love...a wearing of Vetiver on a cool, rainy day.

It is impossible not to compare this to other Guerlain Vetiver bottlings - but I absolutely love this formulation, as it presents itself as slightly more modern, office-friendly, but with distinction...still firmly a Guerlain Vetiver EdT with excellent projection and very good longevity. What it offers is flexibility, more so than previous bottlings. Casual and formal, day & night, all climates/temperatures and all seasons - wonderful.

As I stated earlier, Guerlain is, forever...what all other vetivers are compared to! My personal opinion, very near perfection (and, for some of us - it is)...an absolute MUST in life!

kellz1843
kellz1843

I am actually shocked that I like this. Usually my fragrance choices are somewhat conservative, very good utility scents. On my skin, this begins like others mentions with a spicy citrus, then ends with a peppery greeness that slowly fades. I can see this being sexy on a woman in a masculine sort of way. Almost like an attractive female wearing boy shorts or a wife beater with no bra...delicious. I celebrate my enjoyment of this fragrance as sort of a maturing in my fragrance tastes. Now on to my next fragrance adventure...Habit Rouge.

pcurry1961
pcurry1961

I had never heard of vetiver, let alone know what it smelt like. Maybe it was because so many people had ranked it as a summer/spring fragrance that I expected something different. And I mean vastly different. When I applied this I was overwhelmed by the intensity. It was so thick and all pervading, and seemed to cling to the air around me, and was quite off putting. I figured it would settle down. An hour or so later and it was no different. Even after three hours it was still off putting to me. I don't have the experience to identify notes and describe them, so ... the best I can say is it has a whiff of cloves about it, and the smell hits you and seems to hangs around you like when you use cloves for a toothache.

For me, this is a strange fragrance, that is far to overwhelming to be comfortable. I have no idea why people feel this is appropriate for summer/spring. Maybe it keeps wasps away.

stayclose
stayclose

Most of the basenotes are what stand out forr me on this one. Vetiver being the strongest. This makes me feel kind of old and sweet.

snails
snails

Vetiver... is a love affair. A wannabe monster shaped in a heart of a boy. Waited to turn 30 to have it. One of my best choices. Wait for the right moment and grab it! Excellent silage, longevity and projection. Appropriate for hot summer days as well as for cold nights. Good for office, best for romantic wear, perfect for any occasions. The bath range is one of the best from Guerlain. Happy to have it! Love it

Finisterle
Finisterle

The ribbed/banded bottle:
Opens up in a sparkly, breezy, gay and luxurious way and then turns into a fascinatiting but also boring and strict student of medicine.

Small whiffs of festive glory come back now and then through the linear impression of the drydown but it's not enough for a comfort craving nose.

It works much better in warmer weather as it feels quite cool. In fact - it's beyond amazing in warm weather.

it's the equally sophisticated but less outgoing sibling of Habit Rouge; a cool fresh scientist where Habit Rouge is the warm tipsy poet. They complement each other superbly.

Note: later formulations which return to the Habit Rouge look bottle are apparently less bright and more allround.

jMacSA
jMacSA

I've got it in my head that I should like this frag but I just can't see what's so special...? It's dry and bitter to start with faint smoke (maybe thats the taboco) and then gets soapy and powdery (clean!). Exciting - no. Intriguing - a little. A "must have" - not so so sure. What am I missing? I need more convincing.

easybeauty.via giolitti
easybeauty.via giolitti

Fragranza maschile per eccellenza! Profumo adatto per una persona dai 40 anni in su

Slayerized
Slayerized

In my opinion one has to get acquainted with this fragrance which can take some time. This is not a fragrance for starters and even for experienced frag lovers it can take some time to really appreciate this scent. I own the last formulation of the ribbed squared bottle which is generally considered as good but less than the vintage version whih I never owned.
I will start with, imo, the only drawback and that is the too long heavy citrus opening. On me it lasts like one hour and is quite a dominating smell. To avoid this a little it is advised to spray this scent from quite a distance to your skin so that the top notes are well divided (8" at least). Then my favourite parts start: the very masculine heart and drydown. As the citrus fades away the vetiver becomes more prominent surrounded by a light tobacco/tonka bean note and some earthy but clean vibe! This lingers on for many hours before it slowly disappears after 8+ hours.
Further, the fragrance is very versatile and can be used all year around and is also suitable for office and formal wear. Only not advised for clubbing.
It is almost a delight to appreciate what this scent has to offer when you connect to it! A masterpiece!
Rating: 9.5/10

eam531
eam531

I don't have the vocabulary to describe scents the way some others on the site can, and I have no experience with earlier formulations, so I am not sure how helpful this review will be, but ...

I love this fragrance. I love it on my husband--and from time to time I wear it myself and love it on me, too. It starts out citrus-y, and then it dries down to a warm and spicy scent that I just love. It isn't heavy or overwhelming, at least not the way we wear it (just a spritz or two)--it doesn't leave a cloud behind you when you wear it, at least not in my experience. This is a plus in my book. I think perfume is far more effective when you have to get close in order to smell it--a little sensual surprise that can be quite lovely.

I don't know how appealing this would be to younger people. My husband and I are in our 50s and to us, Vetiver is elegant, classic, and sexy in an understated way.

It does not surprise me in reading reviews that some people have been wearing it for decades.

Midnight50
Midnight50

I BOUGHT IT FOR MY HUSBAND SATURDAY BUT I'M SURE THE PERFUME IS NOT THE SAME ANYMORE. I'M SURE THEY HAVE MODIFIED EVEN THIS, WE MADE A COMPARISON WITH THE ONE LEFT FROM THE PREVIUS BOTTLE. I THINK IT IS BETTER TO LOOK FOR A NEW VETIVER. ANOTHER LOST!

jgirgar
jgirgar

Ribbed Bottle:
There's a reason there are so many reviews. I love this fragrance! Truly a classic and simply a perfect "go to" fragrance and will work in virtually any situation. I love this especially in the evening after a shower or on hot days. Starts off a bit medicinal but give it a few moments to meld with your skin and it blooms nicely. Light, fresh, subtly dense and lasts well on my skin. I do tend to lay it on thick, but I want to enjoy this for the time I wear it. I'm reserving the last bit of a 2.5 oz bottle I got in 2007 and I'm using a large 6.7 oz splash I got earlier this year. Plus, I have a new 'backup' in the 2011 (HR) bottle it used to be in pre-2000. I cannot see myself not owning this fragrance. Actually I'm temped to buy additional bottles for the future. Dress up guys and sport this fragrance. JG 032312

Vintage:
I ordered a 3.4 oz Vintage but the seller said the sprayer did not work. He instead, sent me two 1.7 oz bottles and I love this. However, surprisingly, I find the ribbon bottles project more and the tobacco/nutmeg is more pronounced. The citrus in this is sour lemon, very nice. JG 072812

Current/2011 new-old HR bottle:
I don't think the formula changed at all from the ribbed bottle. JG 072812

Rating 10/10

Peegore
Peegore

Such a good review from JTD below makes me now loathe to add my own... but here we go anyway!

I blind bought this quite a few years ago when I started really getting into fragrances, due to the many MANY glowing reviews I'd seen. "How could this not be good" I thought as I eagerly awaited the postman. When It arrived, I spritzed, inhaled. "Good lord what sort of perfumery abomination IS this?" I uttered out loud ( no doubt ).

See, I had never encountered a vetiver heavy fragrance before. And this Guerlain Vetiver I held in my hand flew in the face of all that I knew of smellies to this point. I duly returned it and got my money back, and continued to add to my collection sans any vetiver dominated fragrances.

Fast forward to a few months ago. I had been enjoying Prada Infusion de Vetiver ( reviewed here but lifted from my old Basenotes review ) for a while, as well as a few others with this accord in the background. And found myself enjoying, even craving, this once unpleasant smell more and more. Hmm I though, maybe it's time to give Guerlain's Vetiver another try.

Oh how glad I am that I did. This time around it was a wholly different experience. Fresh, slightly citric, but a healthy dose from start to finish of vetiver... and I loved it. I found myself catching wafts of it as I walked around that day, which constantly demanded I smell the back of my hand more closely. Suffice to say I immediately purchased the largest bottle I could afford.

As to the actual review of the fragrance ( finally ) well it's quite a simplistic one for me. The opening is a 'Wake-up!' crisp fresh citrus for a short while, before dropping straight into the fragrance's 8-ish hour life of vetiver. I appreciate there are other notes in there, but either they are so well blended I don't pick up on them, or maybe all I want to perceive is the vetiver I do not know. What I do know is that this is now one of the most enjoyable, green, clean, simple yet challenging fragrances I own.

Does this review have a moral? Certainly. It's... well, you work it out... ( something to do with pre-conceived perception, time, nasal maturity etc). Either way I'm too busy sniffing the Guerlain Vetiver on my arm to type any more.

jtd
jtd

(Note: The Vetiver referred to below is the horizontal(ish) striped frosted glass bottle. The ‘90s’ bottle. )

Guerlain avoided the Vetiver Trap and chose to make the vetiver root conform to perfumery, not vice versa. Vetiver is a demanding note, and some of the producers of vetiver perfumes of the past 20 years have elected to make it the heart and soul of their perfumes. While there are so many obvious angles of vetiver to emphasize (woody, rootlike, oily, smoky, earthen) they are so imposing that using vetiver in any sufficient quantity in a composition pushes everything else out of its way. A byproduct of the primacy of a note is the same conceptual problem as the solifor in perfumery: why create a representation of vetiver in a perfume when we could wear vetiver essential oil itself?

To focus on a tobacco note seems an obvious way to fall into this trap and wind up with a musty, earthy density. But Guerlain’s Vetiver uses a tart grapefruity bergamot along with licorice and what (I swear to god) seems like aldehydes to make the tobacco bloom, giving Vetiver an effervescent upper register. The real trick is that from the top through the basenotes Vetiver has a dry gin-like almost hissy pervasiveness that is far more durable that this range of notes typically is. The cool quality doesn’t actually feel mentholated or camphorous, but rather sheer and glassy, suggesting that it is cool to the touch.

Coolness seems to have become pronounced over the various reformulations. I know that many are saddened by reformulation. I seem to remember the Guerlain Vetiver a French friend wore in the late 80s and early 90s focused more on the dense, oily vetiver note itself. I know the lightening of a fragrance as a result of reformulation is generally panned, but this cooler, more gin-like Vetiver 1) gives me a wonderful sense of sang-froid in my warm climate and, 2) lifts the register of the tobacco note, making it effectively floral. The lightening doesn’t have to do with dilution, but an increased emphasis on the tenor range of notes.

Prettier than it was, and still pitch-perfect, I find the current Vetiver de Guerlain more appealing than ever, and exceptionally successful in its manipulation of a difficult botanical note. The current Vetiver, more than earlier versions, uses its eponymous note in the same manner that Chanel No 5 makes a floral perfume with jasmine: it makes a balanced abstraction that smells of vetiver but does not smell like vetiver.

(I’ve been wearing reformulated Guerlain Vetiver in the old-is-new-again rectangular bottle with the silver cap. My overview of it is that it’s nicely made, smells more like the ‘original’ and smells more like vetiver root but less like tobacco and aldehydes. I prefer my ‘90s’ Vetiver for its abstraction, but I might be in the minority. My only strike against the new is that it fades rather quickly, something I don’t remember any previous version doing.)

RachelGrigg
RachelGrigg

The ultimate scent. Just not massively longlasting. Elegant for a woman. I'm always asked what I'm wearing when I have this on.

instantjim
instantjim

Over the last couple of years I have seen this fragrance in a local perfume store and tried it a number of times, but didn't ever commit to buying it. It didn't have the "oomph" I was looking for, and found in other fragrances like Salvador Dali pour Homme, Givenchy Gentleman and Kouros. In fact , if the truth be known, I didn't really even care for it the first time I smelled it. Over time I started to appreciate the smell of vetiver as a material, starting with the inaccurately named Azzaro Pure Vetiver (vetiver with training wheels). Following that I fiddled around with essential oils and made my own fragrance with the imaginative name 'Vetiver'. This is a smoky vetiver monster with all the subtlety of a whack in the nose with a croquet mallet. Next I got Malizia Uomo Vetyver. This fragrance is a great, simple fragrance that presents vetiver is a crisp and bright way. In many ways I prefer it to the Guerlain version, though, depite being more intense at the start, it fades more quickly.

So to the Guerlain Vetiver: I bought a bottle of the 2000 reformulation, which as many have noted, is a toned-down version of the original (which I have never tried). What I get from Guerlain's Vetiver is the bright green crispness one expects, but as it dries down the leather and powdery aspects become more evident. To me, there is a definite similarity to English Leather by Dana, but with the slightly pungent greenness of vetiver added. I don't really detect the tobacco so much. Depite the fact it is never a 'loud' fragarance, it lasts well, albeit in a subdued manner. It is one fragrance that I would be happy to wear at all times of year and is really worthy of the praise it receives.

*Note: The review is for Original Vintage Guerlain Vetiver Eau De Cologne

I have several contributions to make here to the "Guerlain Vetiver review page" - an homage of sorts. To preface, I must first say that I am a huge fan of vetiver and my collection of vetivers is broad and deep (I have far more bottles than what is in my wardrobe). Second, I believe Guerlain's Vetiver to be the basis point from which all vetiver fragrances should be considered - the true "benchmark", although it wasn't the first designer house to release it in 1961. Givenchy's Eau de Vetyver was 1959 and Carven Vetiver was 1957.

However, Guerlain (by ALL standards) is a classic, a true masterpiece in fragrance. I will begin in chronological order (as it was originally released as an EdC - the EdT came later). I just purchased a large, Original Vintage 6oz Flacon of Guerlain's Vetiver Eau De Cologne (that came in the black & white zig-zag/zebra box). Stunning. Amazing and mesmerizing juice. This is over 40+ years old and was kept perfectly - I bought it from an online dealer with a great reputation. The EDC is the essence of vetiver - clean, crisp, invigorating and deep without the tobacco from the EDT. It is Vetiver in its truest form...only a bit of bergamot seems to be there, but some of that is gone - a bit of crisp, squeezed juice and a dash of bitters remains. There is absolutely nothing synthetic at all - this is perfumery (almost apothecary in what exists here) - presented in absolute harmony. As old as it is, in no way does it feel musty or dated. This is actually fresher smelling than bottles over 30 years younger than it! It is almost like wearing the oil of fresh vetiver root that has been diluted enough to not be harsh in any way. It does go on sharp (a bit pungent, but rich and awe-inspiring), but it dries down to its fantastic and true form quickly (10-15 minutes or so) as the composition, to me, evokes the images of squeezing the essential oil of fresh vetiver root and then blending it with fresh spring water flowing in a beautiful green field...it is almost ethereal. The various "shades" and overtones from light to dark green reveal themselves. The woody, rootiness of the elixir is so pure. It is not far from being almost entirely linear, evolving on the skin only slightly as the essence warms on your body. You smell exactly what 'vetiver', is...perfect unto itself. This is Zen meditation revealing itself through olfactory art. It is complete - the beauty is captivating.

There is nothing more pure than Guerlain's EDC from Vintage stock that has been kept perfect and cared for. My bottle was still sealed. It does not last as long as I would like in cold weather (50 degrees today and overcast), but it is so fresh I couldn't help but wear it - and reapply it. This will be a show-stopper in the spring, summer and warmer fall days. Overall - 10/10 for a pure, linear scent! And, one that has established an entire world of fragrances from its creation. A timeless bottle to enjoy for years to come...magnificent!!!!

tomerits
tomerits

it takes time to love this one,but after 30 min its starting to dry down and becoming a very unique,masculine scent.simpley beautiful.
not for young man.(30+).love it.
my rank 4.5/5.

trollet
trollet

This is just wonderful. I love it when my husband uses it. It really turns me on. It's clean, fresh and at the same time mysterious. This is for the MAN. The stylish, confident,classy one that is satisfied and happy with his life. Love it.(Always make sure that he has one.For me,he,he)

bp
bp

This scent is very good. But within this range of perfumes think I prefer the Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, which I think is more modern, developed and refined, with a real touch of class. Or maybe I feel these differences because I prefer the Tom Ford brand.
Regardless, this perfume is very good and essential for all lovers of Vetiver.

shannobn
shannobn

You have just come back from an epic trek through a thick grassland. It was tough work, the path was not well trodden. You are hot, a little bit sweaty, rugged but your sense of adventure got you to the other side. How did you end up in the city? We're glad you're here.

ION
ION

"Vetiver" is very good indeed! Not very complex or substantial, just the right amount of "ordinary special".
I know many men like it but I think its role as a perfume is more complementary in the sense it is always the "second best" choice to wear.
Also, the way it smells I find it more appropriate for a room fragrance, but that's just me. :-)
Sexy, in a way!

santino
santino

Yes this fragrance smells like an "old man". It is not for every one. Luca Turin describes it as reference vetiver for a good reason. It is meant to appeal for a guy who is in to old school classic fragrances. It is sort of like following a masculine tradition. It is not meant to appeal club goers or 21st century womanizers who sport A men, Au masculin or Le Male. It is for men who want to enjoy the manly tradition. Just like wet shaving, flannel suits, Edward Green shoes, Savile Row shirts etc. This is pretty much artisan stuff. I love this fragrance from smell perspective and historical perspective. Guerlain Vetiver is a monument in masculine perfumery and when I smell it, I imagine Aristotle Onassis and Gianni Agnelli enjoying a ride in their Bentley convertible in woods. This is one of the best fragrances in relatively affordable price point. Rock it gentlemen.

wawanflubis
wawanflubis

i just receive this from online shop (blind buy), try it, and don't know what to like or dislike it... I rather choose Quorum for similar scent

behzad1280
behzad1280

They did the art to create mature vetiver based cologne and meanwhile keep it wild and deeply natural.
It is absolutely the ROOT! Time already has proved it!

عطر ناب وتیـــور که در عین پخته و بالغ بودن، همچنان خصلت وحشی و طبیعی بودن رو بطور کامل حفظ کرده و استشمام اون در طول روز بارها شما رو از هیاهوی اطراف جدا می‌کنه و به دل طبیعت می‌بره
دوام و پخش بوی نسبتاً بالایی داره

Sonnyy
Sonnyy

A Refreshing smell which is classic with a hint of modernity. .

I have been wearing Vetiver for over 14 years and all my friends and Family consider it to be my signature smell!

I agree!!

Have yet to find something that works as well with my Chemistry without being to overwhelming.

I believe It needs to settle on your body for a while before the Effervescence of Vetiver is let loose.

Izumee
Izumee

Seriously, this is a very charming masculine scent.

oxm
oxm

Today I want to talk about Vetiver by Guerlain, this time
tell the new (so to speak) formula.
Party suffered as a roaring and thundering waterfall, is very green and incredibly intense woody, differs enough from its illustrious predecessor, dated 1959, the modern version, is certainly not light retains the charm of vetiver, but seems less earthy and more ... ethereal air closer to the earth, incredibly dense but thin in some ways.
From my point of view, the ideal would be to wear in the fall season on a cold windy rainy day: give the strength to overcome the perils of climate ...
The first Guerlain as very good, it's a scent attached caparisoned horse armor, the second Guerlain is nothing of all this, disused armor gives us wings to fly away ...
imperial

samihardanian
samihardanian

This is one of the greatest fragrances of all times.Even the newer reformulated version is not far from the older one.maybe a little bit lighter than the older version but stil has the identity of it.Citrus,tobacco,vetiver and spices mixed beautiful create a divine perfume.
یکی از بهترین کارهای تابستانه با ماندگاری و پخش بوی عالی.با وجود اینکه سالها از تولید و عرضه آن می گذرد اما همچنان طراوت و تازگی خود را بین علاقه مندان و عاشقان عطر و بوی خوش حفظ کرده است. بوی خس خس آن آدمی را به عمق کوهپایه های پر از گل و گیاه و سبزه می برد. من که خیلی دوستش دارم.

Luforge
Luforge

Very fresh/sexy and long lasting!Very similar to Creed Vetiver..A complex Potion of Vetiver and Cedar Wood wich dry-downs to a subtle tobbaco and tonka bean, makes this a remarkable and unforgetable scent.It won me over back in 2003 and it still does!

johngreenink
johngreenink

Until I find another that can replace it, this is my favorite scent. It may be due to the fact that it really works well with my skin, or that I personally never get bored by Vetiver. Of the 'green' scents that are out there, Guerlain's Vetiver is the most versatile - it goes on cool, warms slightly, and then feels like a second skin for the rest of the day. It conjures many thoughts and images - like green woods, citrus skins, cool summer days, warm autumn, steaming cups of tea, a drive through the woods, experiencing nature...

Veitiver, as an essential oil, is complex. It lingers right on that edge between green and mossy, or clean and heavy. I think it's a strong 'base' for perfume because other ingredients will change vetiver's nature to swing to one side or the other. Guerlain's Vetiver works BOTH ways, at turns bright, clear green like sun through a grass blade, and then changing to the dark sap of a pine-needle-colored leather book binding. It can still surprise me when I wear it despite using it for over six years.

Some of the best notes in Vetiver are nutmeg and carnation; the nutmeg is warm and enticing, and the carnation is a sharp green/floral.

There are a lot of other vetiver-based scents out there that play to the various strengths of vetiver as a base, and I like a number of them, but for some reason Guerlain's formulation feels more comfortable on me than the others. Few fragrances can be so simultaneously fresh and sentimental as this.

I mean after 10 minutes it turns in something great

fepsceasar

it is great nonlinear fragrance in the topenote you will notice citruss and after 10 minutes vlear vetiver, then in the bottom tobacco and pepper appear.
i do not like that much the top notes, but after one minute you -but most importantly your girl friend- could not resist its great sexy masculine smell.

hermajesty2009
hermajesty2009

got a sample a few days ago. don't really care it's for men. like the fact it reminds a bit of some english gentleman, like fresh but of wood and leather and old books too... gonna use it with my androginous looks :)

TillyWave
TillyWave

I love "Vetiver" so much that sometimes when I come home I have insane cravings to put it on.

What is interesting to me is the many notes listed--yet I find this to be a fairly linear fragrance, the way a flower or freshly felled tree is linear. "Vetiver" reminds me of something that you find in the woods, and it smells so good that you wish you could takt it with you.

Basically, it's 90% vetiver all the way, with some citrus on top, blending into wood/flowers in the middle, with pepper and tobacco on the bottom.

BTW I am female and I wear this all the time. And, I love the glass bottle and the color of the juice. It all just works so well.

daliflora
daliflora

This is an exceptionally good classic, IMHO.

perfume-malaysia
perfume-malaysia

I had the old packaging 100ml 2 month ago.
The moment i sprayed it, i felt dizzy and smell like indian hair oil i used to smell at the barber shop.
what a waste..
i just dont get it, how come this kind of smell becomes favorite of many..yaiks..

wormred
wormred

This is good, but not that good. Tom Ford Grey Vetiver is so much better. So if I had to buy one, always would be the Tom Ford.

Vetiver EDT (Vintage Formulation)

Not much to say about Guerlain's Vetiver as it's possibly the most popular and seminal vetiver based fragrance ever created. The vintage formula was loaded with oakmoss and tobacco that together with the main element created a deep and incredibly satisfying blend. Fresh yet somewhat dirty with the typical, slightly rough, barbershop vibe of certain fragrances of the same period. Always stated as the reference vetiver. Mandatory!

Vetiver EDT (Current Formulation)

Re-launched in 2000. A "no spurprise" linear composition that's at the same time classy, versatile, outstandingly wearable, contemporary, honest and solidly crafted. A great all-rounder. The current formulation is kinda polished and toned down on both the oakmoss and the tobacco with an overall effect that's at the same time fresher but less distinctive than the vintage. Said that, this is still pretty darn good. Not exactly long lasting, though.

Rating: Vintage Version 10/10 - Current Version 7/10

calyx93
calyx93

Crisp, dry and long lasting, but ultimately different from the bottles of the 90's and before. Still, it's a good vetiver representation with a good dose of taste - there are quite a few raw and overdone vetivers out there that don't quite hit the mark the way this one did.

Since the reformulation and my interest in orientals, now my favorite vetiver lies in the drydown of Habanita.

Belgianbear
Belgianbear

Guerlain changed the composition of the original one !!! Sad Sad Sad !!!! Impossible to wear it !!! The best actual VETIVER, it's a cheap one !!! From l'OCCITANE !!! So good ...

anthonyrj
anthonyrj

I own this frag, and while it is well-made and smells nice, it is a bit too "old" for my tastes (there's an odd red pepper that comes out to my nose that takes it over the edge for me). If you are a vetiver lover, this one is certainly worth a try, but for my money (and age - 29) I prefer Encre Noir for my vetiver fix.

benja

The very Best, summer, "old school" cologne for a classy over 30s Tasteful Gentleman,it is so natural (non synthetic)scent.It's,comfortable,gentle, cologne.

PseudoCz
PseudoCz

Vetiver and nutmeg make a great team here. Confortably and classy: it's powdery, aromatic and smoky essence. The sillage is REALLY STRONG and the longevity on me was almost 1 day. Waterproof cologne.

mammaoca
mammaoca

What an amazing vetiver, probably one of the best on the market. Here vetiver smells as a sauvage garden, with the ocean wind spanning across the woodland, on the basenotes of a gently and more imortant natural elegance.
Quite bitter, vetiver guerlain has its own signature that makes it clearly evident within the market, overwhelming the test of timing.

Pierina
Pierina

Love this scent! Im buying my Hubby a bottle and I'll be wearing it too.
sophisticated, sexy, clean. warm...... :)
It is divine!!
((He better like it!))

My husband was not excited to recieve this and is just stubborn enough that he probably wont wear it.. Any men out there want a hundred ml bottle me included? (haha)

maknine ezzine

tres tres beux parfum....a ne pas confondr avec la version extreme.....merci.

Aromaticus
Aromaticus

Insuperable.
Lujo confortable.
Cuando la llevo puesta me hace sentir relajado y seguro, es una de esas esencias que te hacen sentir bien.

aticia
aticia

I'm in love with this perfume, although I'm a woman. Think is perfect to be used at the office. I discovered it while was looking for a gift. My boyfriend is laughting when see me smeling my whrist.

Julio Azul
Julio Azul

This is one of the greatest fragrances of all times.Even the newer reformulated version is not far from the older one.maybe a little bit lighter than the older version but stil has the identity of it.Citrus,tobacco,vetiver and spices mixed beautiful create a divine parfume.10/10.

claudy76
claudy76

fragancia unica en su clase distinguida varonil no tengo palabras paradescribirla

la recomiendo ampliamente

gemini68j
gemini68j

This was blind purchase from last winter and I am very satisfied for it.

This is my signature scent and totally must for me. I like very much old school scents and traditionally wet shaving with de-razor.

Guerlain Vetiver is very invigorating and fresh also in winter or autumn. It is not linear scent and it includes suitably different elements:Citrus, spicies, woody tones. When I wear this scent I`ll think that I differentiate from mass. I have got compliments from ladies and they say that it is suitable for me.

Minimephisto
Minimephisto

Rejuvenation is the word. It is like an antidote to the toxicity of daily life. Vetiver gives you a sense of peace, a barrier from constant irritations from things around you. It just make one statement, "stay calm and focus".

It heals me.

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

The first spray is overwhelming harshness that only a retired boilermaker could stomach. Paaah!
Very quickly, develops the fragrance itself.
Classic
Masculine
Unasserting
Woods and mosses, very slight bergamot fades away.
Holds a distinct, signature similarity to Habit Rouge.
The smell itself is way too old fashioned for me to wear, but Vetiver is by far the greatest Guerlain I've come across to date.

blueberry
blueberry

It is my first Guerlain ever. Vetiver is a very green and woodsy fragrance, making me feel as if I were in the middle of a deep and cool spring forest, after the morning dew has disappeared and the cool breeze has conjured up a mysterious yet invigorating mixture of coniferous, deciduous and herbaceous aromas. Simply an amazing feeling!

Yes, it is a unisex fragrance thanks to its natural charasterisic, although I am sure not all women would be ready to accept it since it is not sweet. Luckily, I am the one to hit it off with GV immediately.

The only concern for me is the longevity-my skin seems to eat the stuff pretty quickly, so I need to reapply and spray it vigorously on my clothes. After some time I don't even detect it as my nose becomes so accustomed to it, which is a pity, because I love to smell the fragrance I am wearing! And because of this I only like GV a lot, but don't love it. However, I think it might be even better in summer, so we will see how it performs then.
UPDATE: After 2 days the fragrance is detectable on my sweater, so it must be my nose which gets used to GV so quickly.
UPDATE 2: I tried to wear it in warmer weather and I am infatuated with it! Oh, Guerlain Vetiver, I love you madly :) I am moving you to the honorable "I love" section.

Listen people, this is a MASTERPIECE!!!

Very strong and dry woody VETIVER scent. It is a bit sharp and bitter, but it's also clean and manly animalic. It feels old school and has this medicinal character but not bothersome. The drydown is very good but the opening can be a bit scary with its bitterness. It's a mature masculine scent; reserved for 25+ only.

Cylob
Cylob

A non-bold, but classy fragrance.
The opening is very nice: fresh & green. Then the basenotes kick in and the woody elements give it warmth. Perfect for any season and any age, although older men will appreciate this more.

Hours later the wood elements still linger from my skin. The freshness from the opening is gone. Now I even love it more!

8/10 [Great, but Sycomore beats this by far!]

scentury
scentury

Classy and elegant, this fragrance is the yardstick to which other vertiver based scents are measured.
I always think of a man emerging fresh from a shower everytime I smell this. It's so fresh and invigorating!
Best for the 30 and over crowd.

LaPetite
LaPetite

I LOVE this so so much . It's a male scent and yet i could almost buy it for myself .
It's surely green , incredibly refreshing but i didn't find it woody at all .
I gifted it to my Dad for the fathers' day last year , and he finnished the bottle in a few weeks 0_o i guess it means he enjoyed it :-)

floof
floof

When my roommate discovered the then governor of the great state of California-Arnold, Conan, Terminator- he goes by many names, but I have read this is fragrance of choice. The start is a little offputting, but it is so complex it needs about 15 minutes to settle down to something very masculine and enjoyable. If you wish to try this, they sell minis on amazon for under $3 in the guerlain packaging. It is very striking, and when I smell or think of this fragrance, I think of arnold with a big cigar sitting the required distance from the state capitol that he demanded be kept so he could continue smoking. What a man, what a fragrance! This is for anyone who wants to feel like Conan for a day, or for how ever long you wear it for.
This one is for mans mans man, not someone who wants something more unisex, this is extremely, almost excessively masculine.

Singabera
Singabera

Beautiful fragrance, natural, free... Great for the hot summer days. I would call it unisex, and going to buy it for myself. People who like Herba Freska, Hermes colognes, would like that one too.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

This is a delicious, crisp, masculine scent.I would rank it right up there with Dior's Eau Sauvage. I don't know how Elle McPherson carries this off, to me it would be so out of place on a woman. Great man's fragrance.

Edit:
This is really lovely, not that disimilar to Carven, but more smokey and flowery. Carven is more fruity. Love them both.

If you find this a little sharp, try the after shave, it´s lovely. One of the best IMO.

The edt of this is more like an edp to me, while the after shave is an edt. It seems to me it´s not reformulated (destroyed) like so many others are nowadays.

Valentino
Valentino

Vetiver by Guerlain has become built up to near mythic proportions over the decades and not without good reason. It simply oozes class, elegance and distinction. I remember first reading about it in my mother's Elle magazine back in the 1980s. Some famous and attractive women of the time had listed their favourite men's frags. Over and over this name would come up, Vetiver. Guerlain Vetiver. I was enthralled. They found it both exciting and comforting, powerful yet understated. What magic potion was this?
I kept it in mind to try it, but for some reason I didn't get around to it until I was twenty-five.

In all honesty, when I did, it took some getting used to. Some days it smelled great, but other days the vetiver note had a thick heavy quality which I didn't like at all. Dare I say sweaty? I now understand that this fragrance is very sensitive to changes in body chemistry, temperature and humidity.

In contrast to some, I prefer Vetiver in a tropical climate. With the heat, the projection improves and notes begin to lift and separate. The citrus/tobacco accord stays around for longer, dancing about you and creating intrigue for those lucky enough to enter the zone.

There is such an air of achievement, wealth and worldliness about you when you wear this scent. You instantly become 'a someone'. As Jack Nicholson's character said to Helen Hunt in As Good As It Gets, 'You make me want to be a better man.'

missan

If you find this a little sharp, try the after shave, it´s lovely.

chiva
chiva

I find it absolutely masculine.
Its delicious. D E L I C I O U S.
My dad has always worn it, and I must confess that, although I am a feminine, straight young woman I have seriously felt like stealing it from him! :)

I dont think its a unisex scent at all btw. But would still wear it anyways!

hollycat
hollycat

Its amazing how many notes can be in a scent and only a few can be detected on the skin. As for this one, so many notes. At first spray, all I smell is vetiver, quickly as it settles I then smell myrhh. The vetiver doesnt stick around too long once the myrhh takes over. I cant seem to pick out any other notes. This isnt a strong scent on me, and not one for me to wear. I wonder how this would smell on a man? Hmmmm.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Nice vetiver here. Very dry and woodsy towards the end, with a traditional vetiver note at its core. Maybe a touch too much pepper, but otherwise just right, although could do with higher quality ingredients. I can't help but feel that the citrus needs work. That said, as far as a gentlemanly classic for all seasons goes, this is as good as it gets for $35.

guest_generale
guest_generale

a perfect parfum,my mother bought it 10ago for me and since then it is my alter ego.i believe 1of the greatest fragrances of all times.my wife adore it too.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

This EdT (probably the newest version) starts out with a prelude of citrus, mainly bergamot along with a little twist of lemon. Within the first 5 minutes the citrus is joined by peppery spices. The nutmeg and coriander are definitely there. All the while the vetiver is like the bass playing continuously, keeping it all together. There’s something sweetish and slightly floral, but it’s subtle and not identifiable as any single note. After a while it develops a rich tobacco scent without losing the citrus and spice. After a couple of hours the scent dries down to a salty sage-vetiver combination, still with hints of the citrus, spice, and flowers, a “your-skin-but-better” accord that’s very comfortable to wear.

Despite all of the macho men’s photos that appear in ads for this scent, it’s every bit as well suited to be worn by a woman as a man. To me, this is the ultimate unisex scent. For an EdT, it’s quite strong and long-lasting. I can see that this is going to become one of my default scents to wear to work.

Many thanks to Gojira for generously passing this on to me!

CourtrightHer
CourtrightHer

Such a pleasant Summer scent. Definitely one to watch when applying! One of my peeves with most mens colognes is the lack of descent silage in comparison with womens fragrances. This is not the case here. A bit citrusy/ spicy at first, then evolving nicely into a smokey/ grassy scent. Maybe bit masculine (because of an incense scent in the base to me) but certainly the right woman could wear this well. A buy.

costaleo
costaleo

The kind of scent you can spray away - of course keeping some sensibility. Wear it and bathe yourself with an aura of freshness and cleaness. Get ready for a unique experience when it comes to the drydown, which is exceptionally charming and lasts forever on the skin. Great sillage. A compliment getter and perfect for the warm days of my city. You can´t miss it.

mrdibiagio
mrdibiagio

Very hard to use. Not masculine at all. It Smells like a strong insect's repelent. I prefer vetiver extreme, because it have more species and it is more wereable.

enigmatict
enigmatict

I'm a 23 year old woman and can wear this happily in warmer weather (or as a comfort scent in winter). On my dark skin the tabacco comes through and I seem to smell some Ylang Ylang. Lovely! On a man's skin the citrus aspect of it is accentuated.

mal23
mal23

I agree this is a great scent and one of the best Vetiver's out their, but to me this comes of as an older man's fragrance. Suited for 40-60 year old man or mid-life. It is fresh, green, masculine mature, and clean. Overall 8/10 for a mature mans scent.

Tuvok
Tuvok

I'm too young to spray myself with this, but to be honest I like it very much. I recieved it from my mom who wanted to buy me a "suit fragrance" and yes she's right, it matches with elegant appereance but not for guys at my age (i'm 21) it's rather for men between 35-60, but definately the best vetiver scent ever. A true classic ;) It used to be a Roman Polanski's favorite scent.

ricardohmedina
ricardohmedina

Vetiver by Guerlain is a wonderful scent. The inicial citrus and sharp openning gives space for a woody, grassy and spiced base. Refreshing and warm at the same time, Vetiver is one of the best fragrances I have in my wardrobe. Great longevity and silage.

I love Guerlain's VETIVER, the perfect uniscent, an enticing combination of vetiver and oakmoss, with a touch of leather and civet in the base, and a warm opening of citrus and spice.

VETIVER is so wonderful, in fact, that I wanted to share it and so gave my bottle away to a male comrade of mine, under the naive assumption that he would love it as much as I do. Unfortunately, I do not believe that he wears it, and I sometimes wonder what became of it. Did he perhaps think that I gave it to him because I didn't want it? Could he have thrown it away?! (gasp!) Perhaps I should sneak into his house one night, and take it back--if it's still there!

The moral to this story is: do not assume that great fragrances will be appreciated by someone else in another set of skin. Objectively great fragrances may not always be recognized for what they are. A sampling of reviews even here at FRAGRANTICA--written by people all of whom care about perfume--reveals that how a fragrance develops is a function not only of its composition, but also that of the wearer!

auchel
auchel

A personal favourite. Wonderfully elegant and refreshing but can be dominating if overapplied. A fragrance for special occasions.

A scent of serenity.

It is woody-aromatic alright but I would also call it a green chypre...

I love Guerlain's Vetiver. I am a woman who has actually been wearing it for a couple of months. Still I appreciate it much more on a man.

It is a dry herbal scent that flourishes when it's heated up by the summer sun.
Tobacco is the second most important ingredient in there for me.

I see it as a sensual and alternative potion. Not boring at all.

Robert White
Robert White

A classic! Hey how can you go wrong with Jean Paul? A GREAT green, woody, slightly citrusy top, with a suave and not too obviously "manly" base. I think the ladies could wear this, too. Haven't smelled the Guerlain Vetiver pour Femme...Turin says it's a little more complex...I'd like to try it. Highly recommended and quit affordable online. Since it's an EdT, spray some on your clothes to make it last. One of the guys at work said "Geez, Bob, you smell like an old lady!" I couldn't believe it.

nesca1502
nesca1502

I love this fragrance in men, it is very sexy and reminds me of the boy I love who likes to wear it. Some find it a bit old fashioned but I really like it, I think is one of the most attractive male fragrances out there. Yum!

it's like it's lauding the name of Guerlain as it's maker and now that I see Jean Paul Guerlain,himself has made it,I don't get surprised.
although it's an old perfume,I've just got the chance to smell it.I should say that it's not my type,but it doesn't negate the worth of this fragrance.
it's very fresh with lots of green and woodsy notes,mixed with a plenty of manly scent.
to me it's like guerlain pour homme is a new look to this fragrance,in a modern way.I can't deny both are very provocative.probably this one is more old-fashioned,but it's still living and it's good for stylish men who go still for classics.

Aiona
Aiona

Perhaps I'm just plebeian in my tastes, but I didn't much care for Guerlain's (reformulated) Vetiver. I thought I knew what vetiver smells like, but on first spray, it wasn't like other vetiver-containing things I've smelled. It was sort of grassy-haylike, and "dry" is I guess the only word I have for that initial part. Then, after about an hour, it turns all gingery on my skin. Ginger. That's it. Just ginger. And I don't even see ginger listed above in the description as a note. I dunno. It's an okay fragrance. Granted I only sampled it once, but after two hours of unchanging ginger, I got bored of it, and sprayed something more dynamic (MPd'H) over it. Perhaps someday I'll sample it again. Maybe it will come alive for me then.

bluecoast
bluecoast

This is a scent that has accompanied me since 1984. It's very special and you recognize it immediately. Yes, it is somewhat masculine, but I like to smell it on a dynamic, successful woman. I was a bit disappointed when the formula was slightly changed about ten years ago and bought all i could get of the older edition in a department store.

azuriiita
azuriiita

Its comfortable, pleasant and very nice for wear at the sea -in my humble opinion-

I like very much this vetiver fragrance, and i think could be a good unisex option for a confident woman :)

On the right person, this could be also exquisite and unforgettable

scentsible
scentsible

Interesting to me that few members are voting this a summer scent.

I love it in hot weather as the vetiver note reminds me of the smell of new-mown hay.

Not to be oversprayed, I concur there.

Day, night, warm weather or cold. I love Vetiver.

SweetSwinger
SweetSwinger

A seductive classic. I always envision a young and delicious Gary Cooper when I smell this. So masculine and extremely sexy.

afraafra
afraafra

too much vetiver but great drydown.

zoka
zoka

I have to report today's hunt :-) its gorgeous fragrance. It won me from first notes and I feel so confident wearing it.

2007

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Vetiver fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Guerlain Vetiver, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Vetiver by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Vetiver by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.