Designers » F-H » Woody « Groups

Vol de Nuit Guerlain for women

Vol de Nuit Guerlain for women
dislike

Vol de Nuit Guerlain for women Pictures Vol de Nuit Guerlain for women Pictures Vol de Nuit Guerlain for women Pictures Vol de Nuit Guerlain for women Pictures Vol de Nuit Guerlain for women Pictures Vol de Nuit Guerlain for women Pictures Vol de Nuit Guerlain for women Pictures

Vol de Nuit or ‘night-flying’ was created in 1933. It was named after Antoine Saint Exupery's second novel 'Night Flight', a fragrant story of love and romance of the first years of aviation. The dark amber colored bottle has a relief of a moving aircraft propeller. The composition is based on balance between the woodsy and cold notes, as nothing else could more staunchly impress the depth of the dark skies and feeling of ascending. The top notes are bergamot, galbanum and petit grain; the heart reveals jasmine, daffodil and spices; the base combines earthy woods, iris, vanilla, amber and woodsy notes. Vol de Nuit was created by Jacques Guerlain.

Orange Orange Blossom Galbanum Mandarin Orange Bergamot Narcissus Lemon

Aldehydes iris Narcissus Vanilla Violet Indonesian Carnation Jasmine Rose

Spices Sandalwood Musk Orris Root Oakmoss

Vol de Nuit Fragrance Reviews

pamelapuffadder
pamelapuffadder

i scored a 1981 bottle edp on eBay, it,s in a gold perforated cannister, the bottom is dated 1981 and research shows this style being used until 1984. I just tried it and it was so unexpected, especially loving Arpege, Chanel 5 and 19 and i consider c22 my signature. This is so unusual in that it seems to be so many different scents, beginning rather green and woody to my senses, some spice, it's really beautiful considering i mainly love florals with vintage Shalimar being my favorite spicey frag. It's not heavy or overwhelming spicy like Opium, nor over extremely green like Jean-Louis Scherrer. The galbanum and iris are obvious yet I coudn't stand Prada infusion d'Iris and gave a bottle away. Yep, I am in love with this scent. It is amazingly beautiful and elegant. It could be unisex, I think a man could easily wear this. And now I am on the hunt for vintage perfume. I am loving this fragrance - it's genious. Not floral or fruity. Sophisticated and forever classic and just blew me away. I could wear this everyday. And thanks to Fragrantica again.

Bruxadomar
Bruxadomar

Very much like tabu, if I only knew would have saved me a lot of money.

StealthAngel
StealthAngel

This is a review for the vintage parfum. I have not smelled the reformulated version, my bottle is from... when the dinosaurs still roamed the earth, lol.

I normally don't separate fragrances by daytime or nighttime categories, but in this case, I make an exception: Vol de Nuit, as its name implies, is a deep of the night scent, moonless and inky skies, eerily quiet yet its presence speaks volumes.

Mossy, spicy, woodsy and smooth, this stupefying beauty wraps its sensual core in layers of class and sophistication, so much that it would be aloof and unattainable were it not for its vulnerable aura: How Guerlain achieved this, I'll never know. The notes are all very familiar in the perfume world so I can only conclude that the mastery lies in the blending.

VdN has rendered my husband speechless many times, it's quite an emotional scent, somehow.
The green opening is gentle and luminescent, the floral core is a perfect balance of headiness and restraint, and the base is what has made Guerlain fragrances famous for years: Sultry and mysterious, it compels to take yet a deeper breath and dive into memory lane with a one way ticket.

An impossibly artful perfume.

ComfyCat
ComfyCat

“The desert could not be claimed or owned — it was a piece of cloth carried by winds, never held down by stones, and given a hundred shifting names before Canterbury existed, long before battles and treaties quilted Europe and the East ... All of us, even those with European homes and children in the distance, wished to remove the clothing of our countries. It was a place of faith. We disappeared into landscape.”
― Michael Ondaatje, The English Patient

Vol de Nuit makes me inevitably envision a flight over the desert as one would imagine when reading "The English Patient". Sky and desert - nothing in between but the wind and yourself filled with a void of thought but calmness and peace.

To describe Vol de Nui in means of notes is rather tricky, it's like trying to catch smoke, whenever it reaches your grasp it melts away through your empty hands. There is a large dose of galbanum for sure, vanilla adding up to gorgeous soft, dry and warm amber. Yet there are cool spices, maybe cardamon and herbacious greens like sage, a lot of oakmoss and I think I do get a hint of narcissus. There is a typical Guerlain duet of citruses, but they do not seem very prominent to me. The feeling of the fragrance is a mild powdery amber on top of elegant oakmoss and spicy greens.
It wraps around you like a very sheer veil, it stays a long time while being very close to you. If I attached the adjective "feminine" it is not in the frill&feathers way, but a cool, sophisticated style. This is a very special scent to me. I sprayed, I sniffed and fell head over heals for it :-)

nananessa
nananessa

Sadly to see it go, I used my last few drops of the vintage EDT last week. The Guerlains I have used have all been so beautiful that I find it difficult to try to write of their unfathomable beauty. Guerlain creations are the only ones that have literally moved me to tears as I explored a journey of olfactory bliss. Although VdN didn't move me to tears, it ALWAYS succeeded in making me continually smell my wrists as it developed.

This was oakmoss & sandal so perfectly balanced just those two done so dominantly beautiful with a great dose of great French powder---it just staggers my vocabulary in trying to describe it's beauty.

And the longevity was amazing! I could still smell it the following morning & it's usual was about 12 hours for me. Amazing stuff this vintage.

I highly recommend it because it just entrances one in it's incredible beauty!

Nickie
Nickie

I'm bitterly disappointed in VdN EDT. As soon as it hits my skin, it vanishes. Literally. No exageration. Habitually, I'm a 3-spritz person, but it took 7 to get a decent impression of the notes before it ebbed away. I'm thinking to get good silage I'm going to have to spray like mad and then towel dry before getting dressed! :-(

I like soft perfumes, but I do like to smell them on myself. Vol de Nuit's notes are so tantalising, it's almost a cruel joke that it fades so quickly.

IMHO, the effect of the EDT is so poor it becomes a very expensive bottle of splosh. Saving for the parfum is probably the solution. I'm game for that. The woody, airy notes I have picked up are glorious; I just need the promise of staying power and "oomph!" to warrant further investment.

Miss LaCreevy
Miss LaCreevy

All Guerlain classics are masterpieces, Jacques Guerlain was a genius. Vol de Nuit is imo the most intriguing. Very balanced ( a hint of vanilla, but not sweet, a hint of dry violets, but not austere, etc.) and yet mysterious.
I read that Thierry Wasser is reformulating the old Guerlains more back to the originals. Kudos for him and hope he will keep on the good work.

somevelvetmorning
somevelvetmorning

I love love love this scent. Had a sample and had to have it, and my wonderful sister gave me a 30ml propeller bottle of the parfum.

It's not for everyone, but oh, is it marvelous. Develops on the skin like Mitsouko - soapy, green, smokey, wonderful.

pansylady
pansylady

I appreciate the historical relevance of this scent, and can easily imagine a brave free spirit like Amelia Earheart spritzing it on before her final flight- the bottle is stunning, the fragrance is intriguing- but this is not me, not even a little bit-

Oakmoss and me are never easy bedfellows, and this scent is teeming with it- along with a lot of heady woods and spices-

I'm afraid that I'll never be "mature" enough to appreciate this iconic gem, no matter how long I live...

nitschevo
nitschevo

Knowing that this is one of Katherine Hepburn's most beloved scents I have to track it down somewhere and take a sniff :)

400blows
400blows

Everything this evokes in name and packaging design fascinates me and echoes my life. I can identify strongly with it; it should be mine, but it is forever out of my reach, because I just can't like aldehydes. If only those early Guerlains had not predominated so much in this note and those that reinforce it.

Mary-Jayne
Mary-Jayne

I wore this today so decided to write a quick review (still under the weather and currently exhausted to sorry if it makes no sense!)
I have worn this a few times now and find it a difficult scent to pin down - it seems ethereal, like a cloud or aura of gentle scent that feels both exciting and comforting.
In the opening i find it very "typical old guerlain" - it has "that" guerlain smell that I find in l'heure bleue, shalimar, mitsouko and chamade, but in vol de nuit it is greener, greyer, more foreboding. It lacks, to my nose that slightly medicinal anise like note of L'hb in the opening, the spice of shalimar or the warmth of mitsouko, and is probably most similar (to my nose) to chamade for the first few minutes, perhaps a little more green? For some reason the first 10 minutes make me think of heavy thundery rain clouds. Then suddenly it is like the sun breaks through the clouds, or maybe we gain altitude and break the cloud cover and this becomes soaring, powdery, the comforting aura I mentioned before.
Longevity was very good - 12 hours after application I could still smell it faintly on my skin and more strongly on my clothes. It was inoffensive in that although there is some sillage - I myself caught occasional whiffs it was not challenging or offensive and felt no need to compete with anyone elses fragrance or personal space. It portrayed exactly what I wanted - Elegance, self assured, quiet confidence with a touch of soft femininity.
Very nice, this has gone up in my estimations as it made me feel so good today.
Definitely one to try for lovers of other older guerlains. Beautiful.

mylancome
mylancome

I never encouter Vol De Nuit before in my country, so I can only review it based on the shimmer powder. It smells kinda reminds me of a more woodier version of Jicky/Shalimar. I like Jicky though after smell Jicky EDT. A woody notes mixed herbs perfume, no vanilla. Oh, and smell of Miss Dior Originale (Galbanum) too.

I plan to buy the parfum extrait online, it gonna be an expensive blind buy. So people, do you think Vol De Nuit parfum is for me? You're welcome to voice your suggestions.

Update 22/02/2014: I did the darnest thing, I spray few times my shimmer powder on a cosmetic cotton pad and smell the powder. This time I get the true essence. Vol De Nuit is leather version of Shalimar. That's beautiful! So blind buy the parfum won't be regret as this kind of perfume suits all kind of occation, work, casual night out and formal ball, all are appropriate, without being too girly floral or seductive. I don't want sending out wrong signals.

In the end, my nose and eyes is filled with the powder, really drying and need to head to the wash room to wash them off and dug my nostril clean.

Kattmatte
Kattmatte

I remember this from way back in the seventies when I fell in love with the "cousin" Shalimar. Now I sincerely regret that I didn't buy Vol de Nuit too.
There has so very obviously been a reformulation that has somewhat diluted the original formidable scent.
Vol de Nuit is still a beautiful scent, and very much a monument over the time when a nightflight was a rare and dangerous adventure.
Today Vol de Nuit suits me better than the more flowery, and unfortunately also reformulated, Shalimar.
The first, sharp citrus is not what I remember from the original but the warm, woody drydown is just like my memory of it, only with slightly diminished longevity.

Inventress
Inventress

I find the older Guerlain compositions, particularly of parfum concentration, to be similar in their opening. What I smell is a sharp, fresh, slightly bitter and somewhat medicinal note in L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko, Vol de Nuit, Shalimar, and, to a lesser extent, in Nahema. After about an hour, this scent reveals other notes, but in L'Heure Bleue it remains until the dusk of the fragrance.

Once this overwhelming sharpness airs out, Vol de Nuit Parfum becomes a decidedly woody and somewhat green composition, opening with a blast of galbanum. It then slowly (after an hour or so on my skin) settles into powdery floral domain with iris and aldehydes. Oakmoss is in the base with vanilla.

I like Vol de Nuit for its ability to stay woody on my skin. I have tried other woody fragrances, but their arborous notes tend to hide from my olfactory receptors.

rockegg
rockegg

I want to write poetry about this but you have all done such a good job already that I won't.

This is somehow exciting and comforting at the same time. I could live with it forever.

My only complaint is that it doesn't last as long as I wish, even as EDP.

Figmentspot
Figmentspot

It is atmosphere: creamy wood, & hay (& I get leather, too), vague powder, all vanilla-edged, all barely there, gorgeously.

It's the feel scape of L'Artisan's Fleur de Narcisse & Cuir de Lancôme, as though *invented* to be a haunt-y under layer, yet Vol is somehow lifted, too. It floats me in it. When I wear this I'm in the whitest shirt, eyes closed, full of grin.

I can't seem to stop layering it alongside other fumes.

Guerlain's all strike me so far as some shimmery darklight trick, some shameless magic. Have not loved them all. This one, though.

Mine is a vintage EDT. Will explore every version.

la_clope
la_clope

vol de nuit, un parfum rare, exceptionel, racé, intellectuel, profond et immense.

freddinos
freddinos

A perfume from an era long lost now... Vol de nuit is a vintage chypre-powdery-'cold floral' perfume that fleetingly reminded me of Y de YSL and Fidji. Among the top and dominating notes is Galbanum, my bottle is a tester and has the main notes written in the back, galbanum being the one mentioned together with jonquil, iris and 'woody notes'. Also its description (again on my tester bottle) is chypre oriental. I used to love this style in a perfume 10 years ago, yet now prefer more oriental-warm scents. I still love the story behind Vol de Nuit though, as I also adore its name,art deco bottle and associations with Antoine Du Saint Exupery.
It starts off icy floral, and progressively reaches its powdery heart and whispering dry down. Its powdery accord reminded me a lot of Heure Bleue.
I would't make it my every day scent, but will keep it because I have realized that my tastes in perfume can change dramatically throughout the years, I might even find myself craving it in 10 years or so!

Kiku
Kiku

Guerlain's most complex scent and one of the most dichotomous perfumes ever. Said to be the favorite of Katharine Hepburn and she is the personification of Vol de Nuit. La-di-da and snooty, friendly and down to earth. Cool and sophisticated, warm and natural. Tough broad and vulnerable girl. Vol de Nuit is not sweet and pretty. It is dry, dusty, and handsome. A beautiful blend of daffodils and spices mixed with woodsy notes. You can keep that overwrought vanilla fest that is Shalimar. Vol de Nuit is Guerlain's masterpiece.

alpestremonte
alpestremonte

I'm quite new to perfume. Even though I can say I'm happy enough with the ones I already own or I am testing, including some other Guerlain classics, Vol de Nuit is the first fragrance that has brought me to tears. Not even L'Heure Bleue has come this far. Thanks, Master Jacques Guerlain!

Wayne Wright Evans
Wayne Wright Evans

This is absolutely gorgeous it's so complex almost melancholic I'm a tad disappointed at the longevity and silage but close to the skin it is quite sublime I tried the EDT I would like to try the EDP or even the Parfume. I can imagine wearing this with a black suit.

ADCout
ADCout

First, a big thank you to the wonderful Bettany87 for providing me a generous decant of this perfume (EDT).

I sing in a choir for over 5 years. One of this year's projects was to present, in honour to the International Day of Music (1st October), the whole fantastic piece of Carmina Burana by Carl Orff. There were 275 persons acting in total, including me, so it was such a big thing as you can imagine.

We did so many exhausting rehearses, but finally the day arrived. And the chosen perfume for such a big event was Vol de Nuit. Its mysterious mood would pair perfectly with the dramatic theme.

I brought the decant with me, and put 3 spritz just before we entered the stage. It was heavenly.

While singing with my whole heart and soul, soft whiffs of Vol de Nuit were arriving to my nose. It's perhaps the most abstract perfume I've ever used. It's very difficult to describe the real notes. All I know is that it is very powdery, a tad green, woody and earthy. Vanillic at the drydown. Very subtle floral notes were detectable as well.

The perfume couldn't have been more well-chosen: it's one of the most magnificient scents I've ever had the experience of sniffing. It's a mysterious, nostalgic, solitary, thoughtful perfume. Incredible on windy nights. Amazing on both men and women. And I believe my perfomance was even more magical with Vol de Nuit.

hadas
hadas

For me, Vol de Nuit is distinguished and made exciting by its juxtaposition of disparate notes. Chalky, bitter galbanum and sour citrus smoothly interpenetrate a subtly-orientalized, earthy accord of oakmoss, benzoin and vanilla. The perfume straddles the divide between oriental and chypre. Where orientals stand gooey-thick up to their knees in a tar-pit of rich, sweet, heavily ambered & balsamic winter-cozy accords, Vol de Nuit merely sticks a toe into this dark territory while keeping her other foot anchored in the lighter fields of chypre with its brown, autumnal, leaf-litter basenotes. Murmurings of vanilla and benzoin tease the primary woody-oakmoss structure, as together they trip through withered, flaxen fields. I get little to no florals, personally. But that's okay. This isn't that kind of a party.

The strength of the EDT is notoriously abysmal, but the vintage parfum is a bit more rich. This perfume vibrates with natural essences; the chlorine twang of modern synthetic fragrances is completely absent here. If one thinks this perfume lacks pizzazz or zing, it's only because that person was - most likely - weaned on modern chemicals substituting for quality essences. Vol de Nuit was the real deal, lovely quality stuff. I can't comment on the current parfum as I haven't tried it, but the vintage is exquisite work. A very calming and grounding fragrance.

IndigoEye
IndigoEye

I bought this on the basis that I love the Guerlinade, it was summer and I wanted to try something different and warmer (usually I have an Insolence EDP - L'Heure Bleue EDT - Après L'Ondée rotation).
It is very balmy, and I agree with some others that it seems to lack a light top note - it just plunges you straight in, but I have found that it wears really well, and has attracted lots of compliments. Because it isn't an obvious smell, people don't say "I love your perfume" but rather "You smell amazing", which indicates that its creaminess sort of blends with the smell of your skin.
Whilst I really appreciate the perfume's composition (which I shan't go into as others have already done an excellent job), it's wear and sillage, it isn't really me, and I am already longing for the cool notes of my l'Heure Bleue.
If anyone is interested, I have over three quarters of my bottle left (Eau de Toilette 93ml) and I kept the box. I would be open to a swap (especially of Heure Bleue and within Europe) - send me a message if this interests you.

Edit: I passed my EDT on to my blonde sister, who really enjoyed it. But, typically, now that it has gone, I want it back to try again!

sweetiepea161616
sweetiepea161616

I probably can't do this one justice seeing as there are numerous beautiful reviews that reflect my exact feelings on this perfume, but I will try... And I must thank Conifer lover for the generous sample!
When I first dabbed this on, I could smell bright aldehydes and citrus. Delightful. There is a touch of animal and I could have sworn a little civet brushed his tail ever so slightly against the perfume bottle. The iris blooms beautifully against the orris root and it's quite prominent to me. For someone who does not like soapy scents but loves iris (it can be hard to find an iris I like), I think the iris is really lovely here. For a moment there the iris completely dominates, and I'm in heaven. I can't say I'm familiar with narcissus/daffodil but I can tell it's there because the iris is not alone and I don't get much violet or jasmine during that first half hour or so. The base is a really pretty musk decorated with oakmoss and sandalwood. I can also appreciate the gorgeous, green, resinous canvas upon which this entire drama unfolds. I can't say I find the scent that spicy but there's sort of a spicy "aura", if you will towards the end. To me the dry down is soft, a little powdery, earthy, green, and with almost an incense vibe in the background. It's clearly a classic and a well executed, well thought masterpiece that will continue to be highly regarded over time. I'm very lucky to have had the opportunity to test this beauty. It's not something you throw on to buy groceries. It's something you intend to wear with a certain feeling in mind and a mood that evokes sort of a haunting yet comforting mystery. Very nice.

Yourfoxiness
Yourfoxiness

Vol de Nuit. I'm glad this isn't discontinued because even the present version is lovely! I'm testing two different samples, one begins softer, with more iris, & sandalwood right away. The other opens with more narcissus, & jasmine the earthy orris root is evident, and what could be a too assertive perfume is masterfully balanced & blended. Not for the idler, this creation has a mind & a mood of its own. Ten minutes in the balance is just gorgeous, the colors of the original bottle suit it well. Sombre, reflective, it's a brilliant perfume, that creates a deep haze that I want to just swim in. Sweet for a minute, radiant with galabdanum, deep, woodsy, soft, & billowy, as delicious as a freshly done bed after a long day. How both comforting & sensual fit I don't quite know, but Vol de Nuit is quite moving. This scent is the essence of being content in moments of solitude. Twilight with a novel, tv off. I'm fine with that. I like crickets.

samer007
samer007

aaaah...mmmm... sorry for this cheesy and uneloquent prelude but thats my instinctive reaction when i spray vol de nuit on my wrist. the lights dim, the atmosphere becomes light and i fly... surrounded by a cloud of sublime, divine, gorgeous oily powderiness.. i dont know why but if the purple-navy color had a scent, it would be vol de nuit.
my faavorite part of vol de nuit it's middle/drydown. the guerlinade is at its peak, the iris, vanilla, orris, spices and powder litteraly lift me off the ground. never ever smelled anything so refined.
interestingly vol de nuit(the edt) is one of those perfumes that show different facets everytime. sometimes the initial citrus and galbanum is so sharp i wonder how is it gonna ever get to the oriental warm base, but it does.
it's a pity that im now experiencing whats referred to as a much paler copy of the original vol de nuit. sure the sillage is very soft, the longevity not so much. but im still happy to be able to get to the heart of vol de nuit and bask in it's wonderful presence, even in a diluted reformulated form:)
5- stars(for reformulation, im sure original is a 5+)

Lttdcn
Lttdcn

I wore this back in the 80s, and indeed, still have a spray hidden away that I sniff to remind me. A classic Guerlain!

Venus193
Venus193

This fragrance is Guerlain at its best: Perfectly blended citrus, floral, wood, and spice notes that almost can't be separated from each other. The crisp opening dries down into a slightly powdery heaven of sandalwood and oakmoss that makes it a perfect evening to late-night fragrance. The perfect cousin to Shalimar.

canadianpetite
canadianpetite

Nose-wrinkling within the first hour after initial spray. Very strong unlikeable animalic scent. It has been more than four hours now and it has softened. It has settled into woods with a peak of narcissus (didn't like) at the end of every sniff. Bdj blogs that the reformulation (which is likely what I tested) is a shadow of the original; the original must have been a powerhouse. If it takes four hours to appreciate it in the dry down, this wouldn't be a good buy. Would only buy such a watered classic if I have all other good classics.

One spray on me:
Sillage: one foot or more
Longevity: four or more hours

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

Oh my stars! I have waited YEARS to try this and now I am cursing that I haven't had it around for the last 40 years or so. It is so, so beautiful. I have had Jicky since the 1970's and thought nothing could beat it, but this sure comes pretty damn close. I do have to disagree with others who have said it is similar to Jicky - I find it completely different. It is extremely powdery, and so well blended I cannot pick out any single note except perhaps iris. This is perfume at its finest. Thank goodness for the little windfall that made it possible for me to buy this, and I will never be without it for the rest of my life. I can't write any more about it...I am just overwhelmed and almost in tears!

Edit: (one year later) My how things change. After acquiring my small bottle I have not worn it once. I tried it again recently and don't particularly like it any more. It's too heavy and I find it tiresome after several hours.

antfarm
antfarm

One of my favorite perfume bottles of all time: golden, bold, and eyecatching. I love the sunburst design with "Vol de Nuit" in a font that brings to mind skyscrapers and Art Deco. It reminds me of something a woman in a Tamara de Lempicka painting would wear.

Vintage EDT: Theatrical but not overstated. Vol de Nuit definitely makes a grand entrance and leaves an impression. It is not very floral to my nose.

It has that distinctive "vintage" rooty iris and animalic base. When it dries down, it is salty, ambery, and smells like the classic Guerlainade evident in Mitsy, Shalimar, and L'Heure Bleue.

Smelly beast
Smelly beast

Vol de Nuit is one of my favorite Guerlains, A green chypre that has a green bitter and animalic oppening that evolves to a powdery floral with lots of iris and sandalwood and then to the classic guerlain base just Glorious! It evokes to me lost hollywood glamour from the 30´s and 40´s, rich women wearing furs and diamonds to go to dinner parties and al sort of stravagant luxury.

My favorite bottle is a vintage edt (late 80´s) that i got on ebay. You can smell the difference right away. Its much more animalic (i guess because of animal muscs), greener and mossier and I also think it used to have real sandalwood cause the scent blends with my skin. The new edt is much more soft and plush, I get more aldehydes its cleaner, but its still wonderful.

If you cant find a vintage edt go with the new parfum. As for me, I wear some drops of the new parfum and a couple of sprays of the viintage edt. It cant get better than this! (actualy it could if I find a good vintage parfum bottle!)

Migalex
Migalex

Contrarily to other old Guerlain scents, this fragrance starts to me extremely but extremely synthetical to end up much more floral, natural, soft and pleasant. It reminds me of the scent of an old box where old beauty products, old pieces of fabric etc have been stored for ages. Not impressive to me.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

Vol de Nuit sits next to L'Heure Bleue and Jicky like three sisters who share many characteristics but have different personalities. Jicky is casual, outdoorsy, L'Heure introspective and beautiful, Vol de Nuit is remote and quiet and gives feeling of suspension, perhaps suggesting darkness, it reminds me a bit of walking in woods at night. It is quite like Jicky without its breezy lavender note and has the typical guerlinade base with a strong animalic note and lovely muted vanilla. Definately another one on my growing Guerlain wish list!

thenightflyer
thenightflyer

A very modern fragrance that was way ahead of the competition in terms of raw materials, vision and rendering.
It is one of Guerlains' best and also one of their least publicized offerings for which I am puzzled(and also relieved, as I'm loath to share)
The classification is difficult as it straddles both the oriental and chypre genre and yet exists on it's own terms.
A study of reflection,the life lived in between moments and the longing for what my come.It is more the experience from the mind of a voyager.
It has had many who have tried, yet failed to improve upon the beautiful marriage of notes, perfectly harmonized and full of endless variations.
This is an experience, you must try it.

DomizianoA
DomizianoA

Darkness, mystery, sensuality, like making love with a Lady married to a tragically ill and obsessed, jealous, impotent husband, in the cold yet strongly whispered, powdery and carnal notes of a purple twilight, either in a windy Californian desert, or in a dark red ruby red velvety alcove! That is what Voil de Nuit is to me, and, believe me i do have plenty of occasions to wear it, along with its intense, scandalous, pleasurables, amoral notes..

Marco Chau
Marco Chau

An absolutely beautiful fragrance with so much play on my skin. This is for me a unisex fragrance for men who appreciate complexity, sophistication, tenderness yet with some giving and touch of warm bitter sweet notes plus very hidden animalic and sexy musk scent. One of my new loves from Guerlain.

mysticgoose
mysticgoose

This scent is wonderful and subtle in the perfume and harse in the other formulations. I usually purchase eau de perfume in Guerlain. I wear Mitousko, Shalimar and LHeure Bleu in the eau de perfume.

But I think Vol de Nuit needs to be in the pure perfume to get the subtle notes and to hold off the jarring old grandmother smell that hits you with the sprays. With the perfume it is all wonderful, french mystery. It is not sweet like Shalimar and LHeure Bleu. It is complex and deep and smokey with flowers. The perfume is ageless with no harseness, only depth. I can wear it anytime and I wear it as much as I wear Mitousko, which is much more than Shalimar and LHeure Bleu.

lovingthealien

I know this oriental chypre is difficult to classify, guys, but woody? Really? That's the best you can come up with?

*Kalima*Kitsune*
*Kalima*Kitsune*

I am spellbound by Vol de Nuit. I am astonished that a perfume can offer up each note in turn. First I recognised jasmine, minutes later; early cheer. Within fifteen minutes I was getting galbanum; loud and clear, such a curious aroma. After thirty minutes or so it has now settled down into that delicious warm Guerlinade scent, but I know it may change again.

These fragrances are so complex, variable, mysterious and compelling; I am addicted.

I cannot say Vol de Nuit, or any of the old Guerlains smell of this or that, they are far too complex and enigmatic to be pinned down.

Oh, now I am getting, what is it....jasmine again, but freesia and hmmmm rose too?

It's the perfume equivalent of Willy Wonka's everlasting gobstopper!!

gabri
gabri

I'd love to try this , because it's Carla Bruni Sarkozy's favorite. And I think she's adorable. But It doesn't seem to be easy to find...............

latelittlesleeper
latelittlesleeper

I have a vintage bottle (can't tell which formulation because the tag is long gone).

This wears close enough to the skin for me to splash on if I'm going out and feel like smelling nice but low-impact (low sillage). The top notes are a little bruised (the galbanum?), but very quickly Vol de Nuit settles, and then seems like endless drydown. This is definitely a bottom-heavy scent, with woody basenotes making an appearance early and strongly. There is a slightly sweet, muted narcissus that bridges the gap between the woodiness and the feminine vanilla. The florals are noticeable, but only really evoke a warm skin smell with the woods. A very pretty scent, but definitely no ingenue. A staple in my wardrobe, neither boring nor too challenging.

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

You know when you since childhood and you think that nectar of the gods, who enchants everyone and you become the king of everything?
Vol de Nuit gives me this, I think this fragrance is the most elaborate I've ever felt.
Woody, powdery, green, warm spicy all these adjectives together and perfectly balanced performing a set as a concert of the best musicians gathered or the best notes, elementary masterpiece in any collection of perfumes.

kimberlylizkennedy
kimberlylizkennedy

Claudette Colberts favorite perfume!

lovingthealien

Mysterious. Haunting. Ethereal. Ghostly. Delicate. Refined. Supernal. Sublime. Otherworldly. Fragile.

Magical.

oona noir
oona noir

(vintage edt) The first time I tried it, I couldn't figure it out at all. But I tried again and I'm starting to understand it now. It is, indeed, an old school Guerlain perfume. There is something mysterious, addictive and haunting about this one. Very intellectual, very sensuous. A taste worth acquiring.

French Boudoir Doll
French Boudoir Doll

Ok Alfarom.... I opened my wallet!
To my delight...
My Gent won a vintage extrait on (Haute Perfumerie A La EBAY)!!!! Squeeeeeeal! I am still tickled pink! Or should I say Green???
This Is truly Divine. I tried a sample that was given to me of a new toilette... I fell in live...but the love was short lived as it faded so quickly... I sprayed it on my man...and the same thing occurred. But what a scent!!!!! what is a dame to do???? Dream...and I did! I waited and waited for the write moment...and then my search was over! He found it for me...and what a bargain as compared to today's prices of 235-280 euros that I have seen.

The scent is truly exquisite and definitely without Gender. Not too strong or loud I should say...but for a special person indeed!

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

If I may quote jellybean,

"Resins, incense, aldehydes and powder. Vintage oldie fume. Strong scent that keeps going on and on.
For matures; I find it too overpowering."

Yes, exactement. It has this funk that makes me think they should have called it "Vole" de Nuit (vole being a little mouse like creature - mice smell kinda funky as you know).

I think the original formulation was fine but the new one is all resins and aldehydes and it doesn't have that wholeness and completeness that vintage Guerlains had.

My fave of the original Guerlains is Vintage L'Heure Bleue. Vintage only- current formulation I would not wear.

guido2663
guido2663

One of my favourite in Guerlain's collection fine and well blended. Even better if you're lucky enough to find any old bottle.

Not too worried if it doesn't last too much.

The pure perfume is amazing on the right woman.

I have some of the vintage EdT (the clear, ribbed bottle that is like two cones joined at the bases, and you can unscrew it, so it's not a sealed spray bottle). This is highly blended and very dense. It's may have a touch of sweetness but it's basically a powdery, resinous vanilla. I don't get much "green" here. At first it is a bit of a dour fragrance but over time I have found myself enjoying it. Vintage Toujours Moi is somewhat similar but a bit sweeter and not as bitter or resinous (though with a strong, rubbery rock rose note). It lasts well but the projection ("sillage") seems to come and go, which is not uncommon with older or niche fragrances. There is no animalic quality but there is a bit of an "off" quality at first, which may be due to the effects of age. Clearly, this is for the aficionado or "perfumista;" I'm certainly glad to have a little !

irisjetaime
irisjetaime

Every woman on this planet must own a Guerlain scent !
IT'S A MUST !
Après l'Ondée
Shalimar
L'Heure Bleue

Etc....

My favorite one is Shalimar... Maybe the most beautiful oriental scent for me...

Jellybean
Jellybean

For matures; I find it too overpowering.

jrichart
jrichart

Vol de Nuit es uno de los perfumes mas enigmáticos de Guerlain, pero a la vez es un perfume con el sello Guerlain siempre presente. Es enigmático por la poca afinidad de muchas de sus notas entre sí y porque a la vez estas estan en perfecta armonía, también es enigmático porque no está del todo resuelto a que familia olfativa pertenece, y por último y más importante, es enigmático por las sensaciones que produce de estar ante una paleta de colores grisáceos y es un perfume con el sello Guerlain, porque hay una guerlinade como fondo de telón de sándalo, vainilla y lirio, esto es evidente, pero voy a ir desglosando lo anterior a continuación. Vol de Nuit, sorprende a la primera olida por la complejidad y aterciopelada textura, esto se debe a la mezcla de aldehídos, a la naturaleza maderosa y a las especias que le dan una sálida cálida y verde a la vez, siguiendo su evolución afloran sus notas florales y por último y como nos tiene acostumbrados Guerlain, la guerlinade, que en este caso es de lirio, sándalo y vainilla. Lo anterior comentado, me hizo pensar en que estaba ante una de las obras perfumiles mas complejas de Guerlain no sólo por lo que he comentado de la mezcla de sus notas sino también porque a raiz de esta característica tampoco como no podría ser de otra manera, no se aprecia definidamente a que familia olfativa podría pertenecer, en mi humilde opinión la sensación que me dio como conjunto fue la de ser un perfume Chypre-Amaderado con sutiles tintes verdes y por último y mas llamativa sensación, vol de nuit me produzco una sensación que no he experimentado con ningún otro perfume de Guerlain ni de otra firma, y es que vol de nuit me causa una sensación de estar oliendo y avistando un bosque con aromas muy marcados a tierra y a eucalipto, de ahí quizas a la sensación grisácea y verdosa a la que me he referido. Resumiendo, como veran vol de nuit es un perfume que a mi me resultó muy complejo en las sensaciones que me produjo, aunque vean esta descripción acercándose a terrenos mas poéticos no lo he hecho por vanagloriarme sino porque sinceramente me produzco estas sensaciones. Para acabar, por las sensaciones maderosas que me dio, vol de nuit lo recomendaría para el Otoño. Sin duda Vol de nuit es uno de los cien mejores perfumes femeninos que se han creado, en mi humilde opinión es incluso superior al best seller de Guerlain, Shalimar ya que Shalimar no lo veo tan complejo en sus facetas y si de Vol de nuit se puede decir algo a primeras olidas es ''complejidad''. Una obra maestra a la que le doy cinco estrellas pese a mis veintiún años de edad.

Whether you like Guerlain's style or not, this brand had, have and will unquestionably always have an incredible relevance in perfume history. Guerlain is, no more and no less, french perfumery personified and Vol De Nuit is one of the highest examples of all this.

I could go through the usual notes explaination but, in front of such a beauty, it would be an oversimplification. Seriously. Everything has been already said, analyzied and dissected. Comparisons bewteen different diluitions, batches and reformulations but, as a matter of fact, this is one of the best 100 fragrances of all times. This is perfumery.

Open you wallets. A masterpiece.

Vol de Nuit is not a new one, we know. I could test it again in a rare shop that still carries some older Guerlains, even if in re-formulation.
I can partially understand these re-formulation. Raw ingredients that were available then are not anymore and on the other hand many noses would wrinkle up at certain notes.
Vol de Nuit still holds some of that nose-wrinkling feature. The reason is animalic. As soon as the perfume hit my thin pale wrist skin I regretted spraying: what a stink! A glorious stink, still a stink. I have only two wrists, you know, so I gave up one "space" for Vol de Nuit. While it was still wet I put my wrist under my bf's nose. The poor one... my perfect victim! He likes fresh citrusy teenage boopy scents and I tease him any time with old Guerlains! Well, he knows I will never go for his likes anyway. Vol de Nuit not a perfume that I planned to buy for mysefl in any case and he was much reliefed for that!
His immediate verdict was: "piss". Sorry to say, but he was right in the exact moment. So I just kept VdN and went away. After 2 hour or so, after drying from that typical humidity that can give a "catpiss" edge... Vol de Nuit became a voluptous, vintage, powdery-spicy enveloping but close to the skin cloud of sensuality.
He agreed. At this point I could understand its charme and once again I could confirm that there is no bad Guerlain (among the oldies) only the right or wrong Guerlain for you. They need time to be appreciated. As we need fragrances that are immediately "nice" no matter if they are weaker in the basenotes, the sign of time back then was different: a lady needs her own time to prepare for public appearance or for more private encounters. Time was not an issue for rich aristocratic ladies. Rush was probably a rare feature and only belonging to the common people, the vast majority that never ever encountered a bottle of Guerlain in their life.
Not that I regret those times when olfactive beauty was not so easily available. Beauty should be free of any charge. I only regret the slow motion of enjoying luxury and pleasures.
I heard that Vol de Nuit is a favourite of Carla Bruni. To be honest, I don't like her, but she's quite a good example of high life, whenever these "vips" can periodically complain about their "busy" lives, they probably don't know what a really busy, hectic, shopping bags carrying, packed public transport, traffic jam, dirty pavements life is.
Vol de Nuit like other perfumes of its kind makes me think of a high life.
And I could understand the Saint-Exupèry relation: a man flying alone over the sea. Total aloneness and seclution where senses arise and memory triggers whifs of Vol de Nuit worn by a beloved woman. Dommage pour le crash.

anita thompson.monroe
anita thompson.monroe

Can you really be addicted to a fragrance? I think so, and this one is my addiction. When I run out of it, it's an unhappy time for me. This lovely "juice" says Guerlain and you can add stronger scents later in the day. Vol de Nuit, then Shalimar at night - heaven. The world is a more beautiful place because of Guerlain.

madamesinn
madamesinn

Distressingly, I have bought the extrait, albeit at a slightly reduced price, only to discover the elusive quality is just that! After delighted application, it was gone.
So I came here and draw comfort from those who are in accord...perhaps, I need to try this in warmer weather, as suggested by citronella.

Edit:
Worn from May onwards, it worked with my skin chemistry.
Now we're back in Autumn/Winter and the relationship, just beginning to develop, is back on ice...

artsyrn
artsyrn

This feels like a silky, soft' sweet wood with a hint of citrus, and slight powdery vanilla. VDN has an expensive feel to it. Very, very nice!

emily7
emily7

Elusive, cold-warm and dreamy.

Galbanum, vanilla and aldehydes on milky iris base.
Icy stars shining on midnight sky, observed lying in a warm, white bed. Poetic and mild, childlike and astonishing. Guerlainesque signature and age are recognizable, perfectly blended into this lovely illusion.

Sillage - poor, the magic lasts too short (EDT), still it's precious.
Prefect for dreaming, a "goodnight fragrance".

Nmsekhmet
Nmsekhmet

Moans Guerlain in the 1930's but is still unique in a field of gians.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

This is a definite woody one, with sandalwood and earthy orris root taking off as soon as you spray it. Also present are the aldehydes and oakmoss. This makes me think or the Wright brothers flights, when everything was so exhilarating, in the outdoors with the earth around them and oil from working on the gliders here and there. I like it more once this all dries down to a fainter version of the original and it is very powdery.

mariana1974
mariana1974

This is a beautiful perfume, I only have the EdT, my budget won't allow the perfume. But still, I spray it on and keep going back for another sniff. It's gorgeous, so classy, otherworldly. I wish I could have been there in the thirties, living it up, partying all day, being chic and wearing Vol de Nuit. One can always dream, can't we?

nopasho
nopasho

Oooh, what a breathtakingly beauty!!! Launched in 1933 by the legendary Jacques Guerlain for known pilot and story teller Antoine de Saint Exupèrey, this fragrance bewitches and haunts you. It transposts you back to the roaring twenties, the crazy years before everything fell apart. First in Wall street, then in Europe and then in the rest of the world. A beautiful epilogue after some years of unbridled fun and on the verge of more years of pain and suffering. It is like a beautful flower growing on top of a heap of garbage.
Topnotes are orange, orange blossom, galbanum, mandarin, narciscuss, bergamot, lemon; middle:orris, aldehydes, narcissus, vanilla; base: spices, sandalwood, musk,orris root, oakmoss.
Where most post 2005 frags let one or more of the top or middle blaze everything else away, this creation is a delicate balancing act wher every note is the star and is being allowed to ,keep its dignity and personality. You have the very green opening where the galbanum, bergamot and lemon balance out the sweeter orange, orange blossom, mandarin and narcissus and create a fresh but rounded and amazingly effervecent and orignal opening. The middle doesn't take over but adds to the class with the aldehydes that perfectly guide the green opening into a more full bodied and slightly flowery direction wxith the narcissus and the base adds to this with sandalwood, orris, musk and oakmoss. The result is a complex 'green-y' extremely cohesive fragrance with a strong, unique personality. No possible flankers would have been made here.
Exeptional is that the strong aldehydes are in the middle so they don't blast everything to smitherens from the start. The aldehydes are joined in the middle by the vanilla, which is in mostl other fragrances in the bottom. The combo aldehydes-vanilla plus the galbanum in the top and the oakmoss in the base make this creation a spectacular masterpiece. No sugar crystal and a raspberry in sight. And yet this is class in a bottle. It is sweet because of the mandarins and the orange blossoms, fresh because of the galbanum and the bergamot and the lemon, spicy becasue of the spices in the base plus the real deep and spicy vanilla, dry because of the sandalwood, full bodied because of the aldhydes. The notes form an exceptionally well balanced creation and the airplane of de Saint Exupery is symbolised by the development and trip the scent makes on your skin during the hours after apllication. By the way, there is absolutely no peach and almond in it. There is a faint musk. But the fragrance stays fresh and never turns powdery.
It is at once green and refreshing, earthy and woody, warm and cold, delicate and with an irrepressable personality, flying above the world and het with roots firmy in the Parisian soil. It is that kind of complex creation where you constanty are amazed at the development. You cause calusses on your wrist by constantly sniffing at it. You immedatly pick somebody out of a large crowd who wears 'Vol de Nuit'. This is in the pantheon of legendary fragrances like 'Mitsouko', 'Joy', 'Jicky'... and deservedly so. It is as typicaly Guerlinesque as 'Coco' is Chanel and 'Joy' is Patou and 'Le Dix' is Balenciaga.
For me 'Vol de Nuit' conjures up great images of the mysterious smile of the Mona Lisa in the Louvre, the grandeur of the Saré Coeur cathedral in Paris and paraglyding in the Pyrenées. It feels like the sight of a beautiful classy woman riding on a horse, a Parisienne with a Gauloise and a strong espresso in the morning sun seemingly oblivious to the rest of the word paging through a newspaper... The feeling of freedom and the possiblity of dreams that can come true, one day... Elegant, sophisticated, intellectual, BCBGn timeless, powerful in conjuring up emotions and images and memories. A masterpiece, pure and simple.

LittleRed
LittleRed

Vol de Nuit feels like another time, place, or state of mind. Born of a vision, an inspiration, the mood of an era gone by - and it manages to remain relevant and intimate to admirers born decades after its creation. It is a very atmospheric fragrance, and in me it evokes a sense of peace, introspection, and sometimes a vast, airy loneliness. It is a mystery to me how a scent can elicit that but somehow, mysteriously, Jacques Guerlain was able to create an olfactory experience that actually does invoke a sense of exhilarating solitude amidst the cool, open night sky, I think, in part, due to its timeless and otherwordly qualities. A perfumeur he was, of course, but also an artist.

Vol de Nuit doesn't smell formulated. It transports you past analysis and graciously allows you to experience its nostalgic beauty. All of the notes are there but they combine to create something on a completely different level. There is something deeply personal about it, transmitted through the years from the perfumer to the wearer. Truly a timeless classic and simply put, perfume mastery exemplified.

jtd
jtd

I love perfume but sometimes I simply can’t analyze a scent and identify its constituent parts. This seems to happen in two particular instances. I can’t deconstruct the fragrances that I wore when I was young. Each exists as a whole, like an object. I would have trouble analyzing Antaeus or No 5 beyond saying that one is huge and the other is aldehydic. The other instance is the early Guerlains. I love Vol de Nuit, and I recognize it the instant I smell it, but other than saying it is a powdery oriental, I’m adrift.

But I do love it. It is clearly complex, and the complexity reads as a richness that even I get. Although I can’t break VdN down in my head and look at its bit parts, I can describe it. It feels lush and unhurried. It is soft in feel. Not weak and vague, but deliberately diaphanous, ethereal. This softness gives VdN an atmosphere rather than an edge. VdN doesn’t cut or strike, it haunts.

Aqua218
Aqua218

Billy Joel's bitter sweet lyrics come to my mind for this one - "Only the good ones die young"

Hauntingly beautiful scent. Sadly vanishes into thin air within 10 minutes.

lukkyme
lukkyme

the bottle alone is a piece of art people these days are in 2 much a hurry 2 care about every little detail & put heart &soul into whatever it is they may do it shows up in the quality of EVERYTHING from the way house's are built & cars to the quality of clothes down to the material to perfume& perfume bottles to movies etc....i could go on & on but you get the point IM waiting for this one in the mail so i will come back 2 do the juice the bottle alone & reviews made me want 2 sample this....so thank you everyone who takes the time to put what you think from the simple to the elaborate it helps us get an idea with out flying COMPLETELY blind:)

krmarich
krmarich

Its 1933. Air France has taken to the skies and Vol De Nuit is launched. The bottle is a brilliant art deco tribute to a propeller. It take Guerlain to dizzying hights.

Th composition is surprisingly masculine, with the aldeydes taking center stage. This is the first Guerlain to use them that I am aware of. Controversial and electrifying, they let Vol De Nuit take flight. Its entire presentation has always seemed so modern, yet it is nearly 80 years old!

My vintage seems off somehow. Perhaps the original extrait captures the real experience. Nonetheless VDN is flawless in every way. I can imagine bell hats, smarts suites worn on a plane. The cabins must have smelled plesantly of VDN. How times have changed!

marymargret
marymargret

If the world of perfume is a jungle, then Vol de nuit is a beautiful Mediterranean garden. To me is like orange and lemon trees, jasmine and daffodil bushes. Here is where a little pet hided and sleeps now, in the shadow of the yellow flowers, after lapping up some vanilla goodie that the owner has given him. This blend of flowers, citrus, spices and something animalistic, like warm fur, is strange, wonderful and unique, and I love it.

Citronella
Citronella

I have the EdT version of Vol de Nuit and it's one of my most precious summer scents. During the cold season the base notes don't really develop on my skin. This time of year, however, it's absolutely stunning. Soft spices, impeccably elegant.

Grottola
Grottola

This review is of the vintage Vol de Nuit Eau de Toilette.

Vol de Nuit is a gorgeous, gorgeous green-floral with a distinct "brown" or "autumnal" quality to it, as described by some other reviewers. It is never too strong or overbearing; simply smooth and comforting, like a sunset, or.... a night flight. :)

Like Mitsouko, I find Vol de Nuit to be beyond time and gender, but still smelling damn good.

full_of_colours
full_of_colours

I double checked the guerlain website and you are right.

The extrait would be the best choice if one if looking for more intensity. The price tag is a little steep though.

dahlia
dahlia

full_of_colours, I am not sure that there is an EDP of Vol de Nuit. Only EDT and pure perfume, as far as I know. I have them both and I think that they both are amazing. VdN is my signature fragrance and such a perfection, that there is for me no other perfume in the world which can come even close to this one. The sense of space and darkness, the air in it, the memories that evokes, this is magic. For me VdN is a total calmness and clear mind, and I think that the name of this perfume couldn't be chosen better. The bottle of the PP is also perfectly complimenting the fragrance. A true masterpiece.

Happyme2009
Happyme2009

EDT: the softest woody ever encountered by me; lightest silage and sadly lasting power too; on a positive note: lovely, delicate, very "guerlinesque". Extremely wearable, powdery, woody, antiquated and very very classy. I love it more than Shalimar, although it has 1/10 of its strength. It smells intellectual to me and it reminds me of walking though the Louvre museum in Paris: the same majestic quietness dominates everything!

Gillie
Gillie

Vintage Parfum

I have tried my precious sample three times. In the vial I get a wave of the purest sharpest green galbanum, green as Vent Vert. On my skin something smokey and woody appears; bitter, almost tarry (is it petit grain?). It is not unpleasant, just cold and dark. Within minutes the smoke gives way to vanilla powder with just a curl of smoke wafting through it. Maybe a bit of leather. Then nothing. It is gone.

So brief, so quick and fleeting. I can not believe it is meant to be like this.

Lady Love
Lady Love

( Vintage Edt Review )

I don't see similiarities between Shalimar/Mitsouko and this fragance. Vol de Nuit is actually really boring compared to them.

I think this fragrance smell like a soft woody version of Parure. It also lacks complexity and fades too fast. Not for me.

nada
nada

for me it was because of My favourite writer Antoine de saint exsupery I tried this. i like first notes, but it somehow dies on my after that - almost nothing to smell. However, the story of this perfume is on of the most romantic ones - writer ordered it for his wife on their wedding aniversary and also to mark the book Vole de nuit - which is also amazing creation.

mediterranean
mediterranean

Very elegant and intellectual. I read somewhere this is Carla Bruni´s signature scent. It suits her, French, city chic style.Old fashioned in a good way.
Very nice for evenings out.

sofiii
sofiii

Vol de Nuit(Parfum) opens with dry sweet woody peach and aldhyde notes. It instantly reminds me of classic perfumes, and it’s somehow like a mixture of 40% Mitsouko,for the peach; 30% Chanel No. 5 Parfum,for the powdery aldehyde; 10% Shalimar for soft vanilla vibe, plus 20% of something golden; velvet, renaissance, artistic and classic.

Soon it gets more powdery and sweeter, softer, and the Mitsouko peachy note is all gone. Somehow I think I smelt leather gloves, a really similar powdery, slightly dirty vibe lies underneath the powder smell, and reminds me of the dry down of Jolie Madam by Pierre Balmain. However personally, I find Vol de Nuit is more leather/warm skin smelling, which isn’t really my taste.

Later on the leather/skin smell goes away, but not completely, and the sweet powdery scent has somehow obtained a little bit non-spicy oriental edge, but in a quite psydo-floral musk way, well without too much floral. It’s powdery in an almond-y smashed with fainted musk way.

Well, not really my typical Oriental, it’s interesting and somehow intriguing, but just not my cup-of-tea, or at least the Parfum version isn't for me.

Sissi
Sissi

The Bottle is beautiful the artistry and
craft they painstakingly created with it's
Topaz cut and ruched glass cut with
gold insignia inside a circle with gold
metal Vol de Nuit is the hight of Art Deco
and liquid from the fragrance is pure gold. Channels the playboy aviator & eccentric billionaire Howard Hughes with
his planes and women of course women!
numerous of them well know actresses
you can think of had an affair the most
well know was Katharine Hepburn Jean Harlow
and Ava Gardner.
Squiring jean Harlow on the red carpet
of the Lavish Permire of Hells Angels
beautifully reenacted by the Pop Singer
Gwen Stefani from the Martin Scorsese's
The Aviator.

Or Walking though a Brown Smokey Quarz art deco nightclub
where the smoke stains the mirrors and the women whearing
skin tight Golden Dresses And Men with italian Suits
And the feeling of sex Is every where and the sound of a
single Saxophone Playing though the night.

the scent which i agree with Kastehelmi
it does fly off your skin there is no silage strength and if you compared
to shalimar it is obvious that Vol de nuit is an icy sphinx not letting know
her life nocturne introverted Elegance
compared to shalimar with allmost an
more of a masculine yang presence aggressive and yet like Vol refined.

mymlan
mymlan

Eventhough my reviewed VDN is an extrait, it is a light and compliant fragrance.

The opening is a bit aloof with a green and kind of smoky galbanum which slightly reminds me of Must the Cartier perfume. The first metaphorical impression I get is a lonley and cold daffodil in a dark and smokey place, but then clear orange notes supported by spices enters the scene and the sunshine is let in. Very soon a milky veil of vanilla joins the blend, which further softens down the galbanum and daffodil. It goes on with silky powdery notes from iris without beeing too powdery. Woody notes completes its base, creating a woody, nutty sillage with just a touch for flowers and fruit.

Vol de Nuit is a fabulous fragrance in pure perfume and I really love wearing it. Still, I would want to wear it more often, but since it's not in your face about anything, I sometimes forget using it. I don't say it doesn't have any character; this multi-facetted fragrance indeed has a lot of character but it's not a perfume that makes a statement in my opinion.

Anyway, I think the extrait would be a very good signature fragrance, supporting you rather than rivaling you out as many frags do. So, if you are looking for a soft wellcrafted fragrance, give Vol de Nuit a try. VDN is so silky, wellcrafted and beautiful that it may easily become a lifetime compagnion.

Durability good, projection: low, but a lasting and beautiful silky, nutty, woody, vanilla projection.

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

Vol de nuit does fly from the skin in EDT, and who can find the real parfum for a fair price? It's a reminiscent fragrance for sure-I don't remember anybody who wore this, but somebody must have made an impression on me when I was young, with their endearing Vol de Nuit.

Sweetish warm woody powdery-surprisingly less woody than I was expecting, but has the luxurious and savoury iris of the Guerlainade-The aldehydes and the sweet opening as well as the overall old-school powderiness make this a scent more for sampling in solitude for me-I am not a lover of all scents vintage, just a vintage explorer.

I like it more than Shalimar, and find the edge of the EDT in Samsara has become bothersome, but I don't find any extra edge (of the negative kind) here. it is rich- -sophisticated--and even if less approachable, and not something I want to wear often, it's lovely.

Uni Mihaela
Uni Mihaela

An evident Art Deco style bottle. Love it!

floriana
floriana

Warm and woody, marvellous and well balanced with orange notes on the top.
Very sensuos and more sophisticated than Shalimar.
One of my favourite fragrance.
I agree with Jalutschka that edt fades away quickly.
Try pure fragrance.

KalteStern
KalteStern

If, like me, you don't like orris root, beware! Test before buying.
It comes through very strongly in this perfume, and ruins it for me, as within a couple of minutes I get this very unpleasant, percing animal note coming through.I am never sure if it smells as bad to other people as it does to me, but I can't stand it

glitteralex
glitteralex

I agree that this is a very archetypal vintage guerlain. I am still contemplating it, but was disappointed in the poor sillage of the EdT-I was sure, given the initial strengthand depth of notes, that it would be with me all day, as Mitsouko and l'Heure Bleu are...but no-it was gone in a few hours!

Very old style, powdery and greenish with galbanum, which is such a difficult scent for me. My sister wears this as a lovely, soft incense, which makes me jealous as on my skin it takes on a medicinal, medicated powder edge that is just hideous.

Henriette
Henriette

Absolutely wonderful. Not easy to define how it smells and that's its greatness. Vol de Nuit and Liu stand among the very favourite of mine. Too bad they are not easy to find. Both perfect for all the year, I agree.

CaraMia
CaraMia

For me Vol de Nuit is sheer perfection.
Embarrasingly, I only tried it because of my love for St Exupery and his work, but it was a revelation and a fragrance I have loved for many years.

The scent of narcissus has always contradicted the brightness of the flower and I would call Vol de Nuit a dark evening scent. The iris is understated and does lift the scent to an evening sky without brightening it or making it sharp.

I wear it year round.

Vol de Nuit by Guerlain 4.42 out of 5 based on 549 ratings and 91 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Vol de Nuit fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Guerlain Vol de Nuit, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Vol de Nuit by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Vol de Nuit by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.