Designers » F-H » Oriental Woody « Groups

Vol de Nuit Evasion Guerlain for women

Vol de Nuit Evasion Guerlain for women
dislike

Vol de Nuit Evasion Guerlain for women Pictures

Vol de Nuit Evasion is an oriental – woody fragrance imagined to be a nocturnal escape and a scented adventure in a wistful world. This feminine velvety fragrance, warm and light, just like a warm light spreading out in darkness, opens with peach and rose that lead to the floral heart of iris and jasmine. Warm base, composed out of noble wood, vanilla and amber, leaves the oriental trail. The bottle has the same form as the once of L’ Heure Bleue and Mitsouko, with the stopper shaped like an up-side-down heart, packed in a blue box, decorated with propeller to created the optical illusion effect. The fragrance is available as 50 ml EDT at the price of 46 Euro. Vol de Nuit Evasion was launched in cooperation with Alea, the chain of airport duty free shops, and it can only be purchased at the Alea stores in France and Great Britain, as well as the Guerlain boutiques. Vol de Nuit Evasion was launched in 2007.

Peach Rose

iris Jasmine

Amber Vanilla Precious Woods

Guet Apens

Vol de Nuit Evasion Fragrance Reviews

archivist
archivist

An ebay seller somehow came by a case of these, and put them up for auction. The batch code is 7G01. The bottle is legit, the scent is alive (eight years gone, and who knows where they had been stored - I bought one and kept my fingers crossed that it wouldn't be dead or off), and my god: it's full of stars.

My first bottle arrived today. I say "first" because I immediately jumped back into ebay and bought another one. Ten minutes later I was all fretful because I was just more and more in love, so I went back and bought another one.

I realize that for that money I could have bought something on my long-wished-for list, like a bottle of Majda Bekkali "J'ai Fait Un Reve" or a bottle of Dans Tes Bras, or a bell jar of Fourreau Noir - those are all spendy things I haven't been able to pull the trigger on, have just been nursing along little decants and sprays. But the thing is, this Vol de Nuit Evasion may be one of the best things I've ever smelled by Guerlain. Most of my Guerlain loves are at-home scents because they just smell weirdly old-fashioned to regular people - LHB, VdN, Mitsouko. I love them, but they don't get great public reception so I usually choose to wear them for myself at home, or to something fancy/formal, where I feel like they fit in better than they do in other contexts.

Don't yell at me, don't shoot the messenger, but a very good male friend of mine once described my classic Guerlains as "boner killers" - they don't really land for men under 50, it seems, because they have what I'll euphemistically call a "Miss Haversham" vibe (trying not to get axe murdered by the people who go insane over references to perfumes smelling as though they'd be most at home on someone who is an... Eminence grise.) I wouldn't wear one if I was trying to get frisky. They're my favorites, I love them and wear them with bliss, but it is what it is. One year all I wanted for Christmas was for my family to chip in on a giant 6.8 oz. bottle of vintage Vol de Nuit. It came, they all smelled it, and they collectively looked at me like I was out of my damn mind. For my part, I spent the better part of the day with my wrists glued to my nose or my head down my shirt, huffing up all that good Guerlain air.

Evasion has the Guerlain aspect of LHB and VdN but feels transcendent. It has the classic vintage Guerlain quality along with something otherworldly and timeless and archetypally feminine - classy, elegant, but subliminally (and that subtlety is giving me life! LIFE!) so incredibly sexy and seductive. It makes me feel like I could wear it anywhere, anytime, to anything.

It is definitely an EDT - this is not a powerhouse - but it is lovely. So very, very lovely.

Monsieur Guerlain calls this a floral amber (agree heartily). He gives the notes as rose, violet, jasmine, tuberose, cinnamon, peach, amber, orris, musk, sandalwood, oakmoss, vanilla.

The notes in the database here are partial at best, it seems. To my nose this is amber, violet, sandalwood, vanilla/orris, cinnamon, a bit of peachskin, and I suppose there could be jasmine in there. I am not a white florals person at all and my experience with them is of the modern variety, and I don't smell anything that I'd identify as jasmine or tuberose - if they're here, they're of a very different character than what you find in contemporary white florals and I'd say they're blurred into that glow of "Guerlainade" rather than distinct notes here. (Don't be scared if you hate Shalimar - this is not that Guerlainade). Even if I heavily spray/dry/spray/dry/spray until the perfume shimmers on my skin even dry, it's still amber, violet, sandalwood, the whisper of peachskin and cinnamon bark and that delicious vanillinish orrisy Guerlinade under it all, like a white silk slip. The genetic recombination of accords from Jicky, Mitsouko, Vol de Nuit, and L'Heure Bleue are artfully and harmoniously accomplished; thus Evasion becomes more than just another scent. It becomes an archetype.

Monsieur Guerlain feels the rose is more evident, and "a fiery fruity" rose, but I'm not getting that. But I'm also not a fruit perfume person, other than osmanthus being peachy and me loving osmanthus, so I don't have a well-developed nose for fruit, or for roses really, as the only rose I love is the Moroccan rose absolute ecstasy of Sa Majeste La Rose. Other than that, roses usually smell sour to me at worst, and potpourri-ish at best.

If you read reviews of the scent, you'll get a timeline rife with name-changes for no good reason; it's not like this scent ever needed to go into Witness Protection. It started as Guet-Apens (Mathilde Laurent, before her defection to Cartier), then renamed Attrape-Coeur with a bit of a tinker from J-P Guerlain, then "No. 68" and then "Maison Guerlain 7 Juillet 2005" - all of these were EDPs. An EDT version was bottled as "Vol de Nuit Evasion" for duty-free shop sales (flagship if you got lucky and could persuade an SA to take pity on you) in 2007; here and then gone. The discontinuation of Attrape-Coeur in 2010was widely lamented; it had a very brief re-release as a Harrod's exclusive under the name "Royal Extract." Auction sales of the EDP versions of this scent go between five hundred to a thousand dollars per bottle.

Mata Hari never had so many names. Mata Hari was never loved and hunted so passionately.

Yes, this has a gourmand aspect to it; I can't agree with the esteemed Monsieur Guerlain about the sugarplums, though. Not in the EDT VdN Evasion, anyway. The gourmand aspect of Evasion lies largely in the supple peachskin and cinnamon, something inherited from Mitsouko but in this incarnation rendered so approachable and soft; the violet and orris bring to mind both Jicky and LHB, but there is none of the civet of Jicky nor the iodine of LHB. It scarcely resembles the original Vol de Nuit at all, though you can always tell a Guerlain is a Guerlain. I can't say that's because of the Guerlainade, because this scent is also gloriously, gloriously free of the lemony aspect of bergamot that defines Shalimar and which I think many if not most people now take to be an essential feature of Guerlainade.

When I encounter something like this from New Guerlain - and it doesn't happen often at all - I feel happy but also kind of deeply sad. It's like finding a long-lost relative; there is joy, but also sadness for the lost years. On top of that, I have an unseemly and really uncalled-for (considering that I'm just another consumer, really) anger toward Guerlain for having lost its roots.

What Guerlain sells now: 1) insanely expensive bottles which range from pretty good to absolutely fantastic - but are so watered down as to be evanescent as hell. 2) Flat-out rereleases of the dearly departed Guerlain masters, also in great huge honking bottles at $500 or more per crack (no option to buy Liu in a 1.7 oz, it's vat or nothing). 3) Cheap cherryberry juices they sell in massive quantities to the pretty peasants. 4) Gorgeous annual limited release bottles sold for astronomical prices which are just nouveau-riche name-droppers - the juice inside trucking on the reputation of the brand without a real relationship to it vis-a-vis its former standards and qualities. Example: Muguet, the ultimate bridal boudoir wedding day photo prop.

The extraordinarily rare exceptions are things like Quand Vient La Pluie, Plus Que Jamais - and, well. Good luck with that unless you're a squidzillionaire. I smelled them at the Guerlain flagship in Paris, and I literally wept. The friend who was with me was very embarrassed, and the SAs looked a bit alarmed. I think of that moment any time I see a scene in a movie where someone becomes emotionally overwhelmed by a symphony, or a painting. Is it really, really inevitable that such artistry can only be accomplished at a cost of thousands of euros per bottle? Is it really necessary keep the nourishing bread out of reach, and to shovel the sickly berry jam cakes out the door as quickly as possible?

Meanwhile, they funnel extraordinary amounts of time and money and advertising into all those jejune berries and cherries. All of the flogging and pounding of classic Shalimar into ill-fitting flankers that are all bottle and no brains, and so objectively bad that a few months later the discounters practically have to give them away to get them out the door. All the naive Allegorias and their cheap plastic imitation bee bottles. Jacques Guerlain is no doubt weeping in heaven.

And then there's this. Much like Guerlain's "With Love" - two perfumes that hit duty-free with not much more than airport publicity, never given even a scrap of the kind of blindingly shock-and-awe marketing of La Petite Robe Noir (FEH!), and they are the only two perfumes that have the clearest, strongest, most decided Guerlain DNA of anything released at under $100 per bottle in the last 15 years. And With Love has an ignominious bottle. A hot pink MESS of a bottle, and a name almost guaranteed to make people think it must be as dreadful as Guerlain airport bottles "Colours of Love" (horrid) and Guerlain "Love is All" (meh). Be sure you're getting *With Love* if you spring for any of these ghastly hot pink bottles on the bay. At least VdN Evasion was given some dignity in packaging.

I guess I'm still in the unfortunate stages of grief; Guerlain lovers get stuck in denial and bargaining because of ebay; anger and depression if they get emo about perfume - usually the same sorts who get anarchistic and rageful about IFRA (I'm guilty, obviously). But what I feel I have in my hand today is acceptance. There may never be another glorious Guerlain that suits at least my personal archetypal image of what that means; perhaps there will be. But I have this: a Guerlain that I can have on any time, anywhere, that brings me the state of mind which I can count on the Guerlains I love to provide: tranquility and balance, sensuality without carnality, a personal but shareable bubble of peace.

Neither vintage nor new; Evasion is a Guerlain which exists outside of time. Three bottles full. It's a bit of a hoard, but if you've read this far you'll probably forgive me for it.

Henriette
Henriette

Maybe I am not too sure, but having used both GUET APENS (which I am told is ATTRAPE COEUR under a different name) and Vol de Nuit Evasion (besides the original VOL DE NUIT) and still having them, I can say they are the same perfume. Guet Apens and Vol de Nuit Evasion I mean. This has nothing to do with VOL DE NUIT which is so hard to find.
I have always used Guerlain perfumes all my life, I think I have used them all (but honestly not the very recent ones like Idylle ad a few Aqua Allegoria) and have always found Guerlain among the very best on the earth and on the art (semi pun intended).
I do not know how a house like Guerlain does these things, i.e. changing names, confusing customers. Also the numberless versions of masterpieces like Mitsouko and Shalimar do make little sense to me. Why modifying something that is already perfection and needs nothing else but be left as it is? I am really puzzled and sensing a bit deceived and deluded at the same time.

distortech
distortech

Much more woody than I had expected. A very nice surprise. Very nice indeed!

eskarina62
eskarina62

femininity and seduction
the story of a love destined to die
the story of SAINT EXUPERY
VOL DE NUIT
a huge success, the tragedy of love swathed in vanilla and rose and jasmin...
a jackie kennedy in perfumes :-)

Nuppu
Nuppu

Ooh la la! Very nice suprise, definetly "Guerlain", warm, soft woody delight. And the scent power is just right, it dosen't knock you over and it's more than a whisper.

Perfect for colder seasons.

Vol de Nuit Evasion by Guerlain 4.46 out of 5 based on 55 ratings and 5 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Vol de Nuit Evasion fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Guerlain Vol de Nuit Evasion, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Vol de Nuit Evasion by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Vol de Nuit Evasion by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.