Designers » F-H » Chypre Floral « Groups

Guess Original Guess for women

Guess Original Guess for women
dislike

The original Guess perfume was launched in 1990. Top notes: mandarin, grapefruit, lemon and black currant bud. Heart: orange blossom, jasmine, lily of the valley and hyacinth. Base: amber, oak moss, patchouli, orris root, sandalwood and vanilla.

Available as EDP.

Nanette

Guess Original Fragrance Reviews

magnolia_xx
magnolia_xx

There is not much left for me to say, after all these great reviews.
I can just say that I became a "Guess" hunter after it became discontinued.
This is the fragrance I used to wear when I was eighteen.... Great memories! My boyfriend adored it and I felt very sexy and grown up when I was wearing it! It is a very distinctive fragrance, sweet and spicy and earthy, a blast of citrus and jasmine and gorgeous oakmoss and patchouli.
The sillage is enormous and so is the longevity.
I really wish it could be produced again... Until then, I will keep collecting bottles from eBay and hiding them away :)

mirrorghost
mirrorghost

i loved this perfume so very much when i was a teenager. it smelled amazing in the bottle, warm and spicy, if i am remembering correctly. however, my skin chemistry did not agree, because behind the bold spiciness, there was always a weird, rancid sourness. if i had to guess, it was probably from the hyacinth, but i am ultimately unsure. i desperately tried it a few times to see if it would work for me, but no. it was my first brush with perfume disappointment! now i am wondering what i did with my slightly-used bottle...

TrinitySydney
TrinitySydney

This fragrance was the anthem to my late teens, and it must have been exactly right for my chemistry because I got continual compliments on it. I wish they'd resurrect this one, but until they do, I find that Chanel's Allure is a near match with that sweet leather/vanilla/citrus and even that teeeny hint of patchouli. If your chemistry is anything like mine, you might like Allure as a substitute, too.

And how often would the badass Chanel play a bit part to Guess? Not often, I imagine. How interesting.

candymarie

Oakmoss and spicy vanilla ice cream! That might not *sound* good, but it SO is!

Someone, PLEASE, resurrect this stunning fragrance!

I hate to disagree with 11 people, but Spark is NOT in the same league, and is not a suitable substitute by any means.

I actually think those who are broken-hearted over the demise of Guess Original would find "Coromandel" a nice consolation.

StarAnGeL
StarAnGeL

I really wish they would relaunch this one! I LOVED this one! But you did have to be careful when applying it. A Lil goes a long way! ♥

nitschevo
nitschevo

I remember Claudia Schiffer being the face of the campaign! But discontinued unfortunately...

shushkin
shushkin

This scent brings back so many happy carefree memories. Happy days in the naughty nineties. This scent was so powerful but I loved it. I dont think I could wear a scent like that now. It was as potent as a mans aftershave! I also think I was rather heavy handed with my application to. It certainly had serious sillage and would persist for hours on me. It was also murder trying to get the smell out of your clothes. I was way too young and innocent to wear such a powerful scent. I put it up there with CK Obsession.

Jenge
Jenge

I adored this juice in college into early marriage. It is the only fragrance I have ever gotten consistent and plentiful compliments on! I even remember being at a softball game of my husband's and the people around me asking what my beautiful perfume was!

I wore it all the time and didn't think it overpowering then. I remember thinking it was so warm and sexy with a sweet spiciness.

I still have a partial smaller bottle (after using up my 3.4oz!), but it is 20 years old!!! So it's very possible that it has gone bad, but I don't feel the love I once did. Now it seems masculine and woodsy and stale. (Probably is!)

I wish Guess would relaunch this so I can see if I still love it as much as I did.

mhubbard

That unisex note, I believe is the leather as noted below. Delicious.

mhubbard

This stuff was great, it was similar to Obsession, Opium and Forever Krystle. All of which I still love. Sexy as hell, definitely an evening-only fragrance. A little on the unisex side. I well remember buying this with my very hard earned money at the time, 1991. Alas my very dull boyfriend didn't like it....come fall I may splurge and treat myself to a bottle of this. Nothing at all like Nebras but yes, something like Spark. Enjoy this if you can find it/afford it.

fyk
fyk

im a guy and this was a gift to my mom and i have liked it since then like in late 90's when i was a kid. what a unique smelling frag classy

esmee diora
esmee diora

This is still my top #1 scent. I'm surprised it's off the retail market, but good thing for internet availability! There's one thing I see other's haven't noticed about it or mentioned, and also the main reason why I LOVE IT. It reminds me of SWEET LEATHER. A very noticeable part of it, but not too overpowering like a new leather jacket. I think they should include that in the options of description. My husband bought me a new bottle for xmas and I only wear it on super special occasions. Anyone know what else is the closest?

ninelives97
ninelives97

I miss this fragrance. Can't find anything like it.

judyk
judyk

As soon as I put this on I had one of those déjà vu moments - it smells like Al-Rehab Nebras perfume oil (can't vouch for the edp).

Nebras has more citrus in the opening and dries down a bit fresher. Guess has more amber and is a bit sweeter and sexier. That said, they could be sisters.

Original Guess turns up on eBay from time to time, but you pay a fair bit even for a 4ml mini. A 6ml Nebras oil, on the other hand, is dirt cheap. If you're really missing Guess you might want to give it a try.

chicrose
chicrose

i love this old one, my second perfume and i still keep a little in the bottle
i hope it will be relaunched

cinema1974
cinema1974

My sister purchased this at a perfume mania... We both were given a bottle from a aunt who is the perfume queen of Chicago...back in 1990 x-mas...my sister purchased it again at a perfume mania and we were laughing wow they still make this S****! it like deep tea from oreint mixed with some high fumes of colonge.. but it does smell great for a night out... it works well with my sister body chemistry...I smell like a man..over all try it out first, my husband said it gives him a headache and I can only were Alien by theirry mungler for the smack me in the face perfume.

enchantee
enchantee

I have had a bottle of this since the early '90s, and it's still good. It's like an oriental with a sophisticated floral twist, kind of like a more mysterious Opium. Men swoon over it, as other reviewers have noted. Still, I'm careful not to spray it directly onto the wrist, because that's how strong it is. One only needs to spray a little cloud and walk through it, and it lasts well into the next day. Too bad I lost the cap.

candymarie

Earthy, spicy, sweet, vanillic floriental - Wow!

40% Obsession
40% Spark
10% Moschino by Moschino

And like Samasara, has one of the most dramatic drydowns I've ever experienced!

Starts out, for lack of a better word, funky! Like, "eww, what's that weird aroma" type of funky. Then about 30-60 minutes later, becomes the beautiful mixture that I tried to describe above.

Aprilily
Aprilily

I lived in this fragrance in the early 90's-it was love at first sniff with all its oakmossy goodness. I had no clue it had been d/c until I went to buy another back up and it was GONE! Truly a pity.

gazelle
gazelle

Sometime in the mid 90's,I remember having tested Guess before I approached the cashier, a young male. His eyes got big as I approached and he asked me what I was wearing adding, "I LIKE it." My husband standing next to me hadn't said a word except, "Buy it." I'd almost forgotten how it smelled until I saw how Spark reminded some reviewers of it. I'd seen a 3.4 oz. bottle of Spark EDP selling at flea market for $40, but vendor offered to come down to $25 (slow day, rough economy). Read Fragrantica notes and reviews, went back and bought it. Does it remind me of Guess? I can't remember, but I'm crazy about Spark and so is my husband. Thanks, Fragranticans.

HazelMae
HazelMae

This stuff was really nice. If I can recall properly, it was ambery, syrupy and fruity. However it was balanced with some dryer notes, unlike a lot of syrupy fruity fumes of today. In early fall it would cause yellowjackets to relentlessly pursue me.

edpjunkie
edpjunkie

Just got a mini of the parfum and it smells spicy, warm, and rich. It has that Obsession 'vibe' without being too cloying. If you can find a mini on the cheap, I'd say it's a must-try!

mizlover1
mizlover1

my aunt had this..i always wished to smell like her..i must have been like..9 yrs old...the bottle was sooo pretty to me..and that smell...ahhh..heaven

Layman
Layman

This was the perfume I wore as a young bride. I love it. Where has it gone? It is a perfume of love, romance, beauty, sensuality, sexiness and promise.

jodee
jodee

I miss it:(. Please bring it back, Guess!!!
I'll be the first in line to buy it!!! Hehe.
If it's true it was discontinued because it stained clothes, that is a pity..I mean Givenchy Organza is still being made. What's the problem here? Just don't spray it on clothing then and roll up your sleeves like when spraying any other fume! I didn't have any problems with staining with the Guess. Perfume is supposed to be applied to the skin, not on clothing anyway. Too bad people complained about that. Relaunch this fume please:D.

camaral
camaral

I also had this one in the 90's. In my opinion, it was very different from others in that decade, but similar to an 80's beauty called Daydreams (by Maybelline). The oakmoss/chypre was the magic in both fragrances. I received tons of compliments. Guess was so desireable, infact, that a girl who babysat for me (not for long) stole it. The fragrance was so distinct that another girl in the neighborhood smelled it on her during gym class and told me. I called the junior high gym teacher, and got it back! Sadly, there was less than a quarter of the bottle left. Please bring it back, Guess!

colacao
colacao

sexy

MissFilthyGorgeous
MissFilthyGorgeous

I adore this fragrance, I have a tiny version of it which I keep boxed & tightly sealed, in a dark cool cupboard, and I indulge myself occasionally with a stolen sniff!
Please, please, please bring this back guess, you are nearly getting there on the packaging alone on the latest offering (seductive??)...
One can but hope....

EDIT....... I've managed to purchase a new, unused 100ml EDT!!! ( and it's just as perfect as my first ever bottle I bought in 1990!
I'm soooooo ecstatically happy!!!!! ;o)

darkbeauty
darkbeauty

This one is surely missed! By many I see,including me.

Come on Guess! Stop bringing out mundane repeats of stuff we've smelled before. This little gem was a knockout and deserves to be revived. She deserves to be appreciated by a new generation.
UPDATE: I just scored me a vintage bottle of this at an unbelievable price!!!!! So happy! I feel like the luckiest girl in the world. She's mine. All mine. My precious!

deeannek
deeannek

I sure miss this one. I remember getting a lot of compliments on it. I remember the scent being a little bit powdery but also spicy. I think I started wearing Guess when I ran out of Opium.
One of the fun things about Guess was when someone would ask, What are you "wearing?" and you would reply Guess-lol It was like that old "Who's on First" joke.
The last time I could find it in a store was 1998 and I paid 9.99 at T.J. Maxx. I wish I had known this would be discontinued and stocked up. I think I would be happier to have a case of this than a bar of gold. I actually think it would be worth more.

verocele
verocele

IT WAS MY FIRTS PERFUME!!! I loved it :)

My all time favorite. I've never been able to find a fragrance that even comes close to this sexy delicious scent. It does bring me back to the 90's. To me, it's synonymous with the glamorous aspect of that era. It's sweet and powdery and fruity and sexy and edible, and so much more, all at the same time! If I could wish only one discontinued fragrance back, it would be this one. I love it that much.

astrofluff
astrofluff

Ohh, I remember this one. I think this was the first perfume I ever owned. I used to bathe in it to go to the roller-skating rink in middle school. Memories...

Ladycapricorn
Ladycapricorn

I would like to buy this perfume. My older sister sent this to my mother when she worked at Macy's and about 15 other perfumes. I hid this one and used it until it was nothing but a corner of it by the time she found it, it was a corner left. Does anyone have this at a good price. Certainly I miss this scent, but $425.00 is out of the queestion.

Adriana_87
Adriana_87

Very powerfull scent like all the 90`s scents.Very good for lovers of the classics scents,not quite my type.Yes it smells a bit like ck obssession but i think its more elegant not that animalistic.So it isnt that unique but a nice choice if you like that type of scents.It is very rare to find so if anyone is interested in it,i am selling my bottle of it.Just pm me:)

secretcrush
secretcrush

My mom had this when I was younger... Never could tell the difference between this one and Obsession...Now that I'm older and wiser, I notice that they share many of the same components...

Trinity
Trinity

Oh yes, the 90's! Thanks Fragrantica for adding this truly beautiful and now very rare beauty!:-)

I'm just walking down memory lane…..
Picture this: 1990, summer, 11 pm around 28 c (but nicely windy coming from the beach) me and my friends having some nice "Margarita's on the rocks" at the "Clevelander" at Ocean Drive, South Beach!
Just one sniff brings me right back to these wonderful times in my early 20this. Back then, I was an "au-pair" living in Key Biscayne (another beautiful place) and live could not get any better….. ;-)

It was the time of the "super models" and South Beach just started to get a name in Fashion shootings. Claudia Schiffer was "the face" of Guess, all made up like the beautiful Brigitte Bardot, and the fragrance just smelled like her: veeeeeeery sexy!

The fragrance starts at first very spicy and strong, I do not get much of the citrus top notes, but shortly settles into a gorgeous, jasmine, orange flower with vanilla middle note. The base is adding a touch of sandalwood, amber and musk. I can smell some civet too, but it seems not be listed. To me it is more spicy than floral …thus, makes this perfect "Spicy Oriental" fragrance!

Rumour has it, that the fragrance got discontinued because it stained clothes….what a pity this is!

Just a couple of month ago I was lucky enough to get my hands on a new 3.4 oz bottle here in Switzerland for a very cheap price! On the internet you still can find this fragrance if you are willing to pay $ 425.00 for a 3.4 oz bottle.

If you happen to find this one for a reasonable price, go get it! It is truly a beautiful fragrance for all of you who love strong and spicy fragrances like "Fendi" or "Obsession"….

Guess Original by Guess 4.54 out of 5 based on 122 ratings and 37 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guess Guess Original fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Guess Guess Original, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Guess Original by Guess. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Guess Original by Guess represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.