Designers » F-H » Aromatic Green « Groups

Horizon Guy Laroche for men

Horizon Guy Laroche for men
dislike

Horizon Guy Laroche for men Videos

Horizon by Guy Laroche is a Aromatic Green fragrance for men. Horizon was launched in 1993. The nose behind this fragrance is Alain Astori. Top notes are aldehydes, artemisia, lavender, green notes, mandarin orange, cassia, mint and bergamot; middle notes are cyclamen, carnation, jasmine, caraway, rose, pine tree needles and geranium; base notes are leather, sandalwood, amber, patchouli, musk, oakmoss and cedar.

Aldehydes Artemisia Lavender Green Notes Mandarin Orange Cassia Mint Bergamot

Cyclamen Carnation Jasmine Caraway Rose Pine Tree Needles Geranium

Leather Sandalwood Amber Patchouli Musk Oakmoss Cedar

Andy Warhol pour Homme

Horizon Fragrance Reviews

Jerry Can
Jerry Can

One of those aquatics commonly encountered in shops, hotels and restaurants of Mediterranean resorts. From pool bars in Gibraltar to quayside restaurants in Bodrum, you can't escape them. They sort of smell homogenous/generic.

Whatever the merits of this fragrance, or the passions expressed in its favour or otherwise, all I know is I never succombed to it.

lovetribe
lovetribe

fresh,minty,summer scent.mint,pine and lavender.
good longevity and sillage.i don't feel leather.....
is a summer super scent,refresh myself at hot temperature,i feel some incense.....
for me is similar mix between comme de garcons blue santal and blue encense!!!!
very good.

1welshdevil
1welshdevil

I blind bought this, firstly I have to say it's a weird fragrance, the opening smells to me like smoked citurs, don't think I can describe it any other way, then the dry down begins to change my opinion, it's going to be a nice summer fragrance. As with everything I seem to like I can smell patchouli and something aquatic, the cruel part of me wants to say bilge, but I will say sea water. I don't get the green notes people are describing. I think it's a better fragrance then Drakkar Noir though, I'm glad I bought it :-)

Little update the day later. I now get the green in this fragrance. It lasts a rediculous time on the skin. This is good juice :-)

moniote
moniote

This IS a scent of pure zenitude ! Fresh And Green , light aquatic ...peaceful fragrance

batty
batty

I really love this cologne and think the ingredients our good quality.Also got the aftershave/bar soap. I dont like the soap, they somehow over pine it?. It is a very high quality cologne, although the sillage is soft moderate after a couple hours. It has a dry herbal quality with pine and florals and ocean note mostly to me. Sillage is 6 to 8 hours, it seems to help if you spray some into the fabric.

ahmadmohee
ahmadmohee

fresh, and best for summer morning.

CGV
CGV

My bottle must have been off or gone bad as I got a massive amount of synthetic soap spilled into seatwater ending in a nature disaster! The whole thing is all over the place and requires a somewhat tolerant approach to even call it acceptable.

Roman86
Roman86

I love Horizon by Guy Laroche. For me it's a beautiful and timeless soapy fragrance with sweet aquatic and herbal notes blended beautifully all contained in a beautiful bottle. I think of a lake in the middle of a forest when wearing Horizon. It's perfect for that summer or spring day. However, I can also see this one working on cold days because of its crisp, clean and invigorating nature.

Labaloo
Labaloo

The carnation-cyclamen combo with its spicy-sweetness adds an unusual, unexpected facet to this oriental-aromatic-fougere-powerhouse-become-aquatic. In structure, it is not-so-distant to its predecessor, 'Cool Water' (1988), but where CW's oriental-tinged base is "sweet" (and prophetic of things to come), 'Horizon' is decidedly "darker", more robust with its leather and patchouli notes underlining "chypre". It hearkens backward, and though one may say it gives a nod to much-older compositions such as 'Givenchy Gentleman' (1974) and 'Pino Sylvestre' (1955), I find it mostly reminding me of 'Salvador Dali PH' (1985)- but with a marine note discreetly woven into its fabric.

This is definitely an oddity- a swan song of the 80's powerhouse style trying to stay hip in the world of the 1990's (where these dense structures were quickly giving way to lighter sparseness), and failing miserably- but only because of timing; if it had been released a few years earlier than it was, its charms might have been better-appreciated and sung, because I do think it is quite charming, and well-executed when judged outside of chronological context.

brandonR
brandonR

Horizon is a confused scent that has no idea in which direction it really wants to go. It's a hodgepodged lost child who's strayed away from his parents at the mall, sitting on a bench and crying while looking for a home. I've bought some weird blind buys in my day, but this one is the worst of them all.

What I get from this fragrance is an old abandoned house nestled deep within the middle of the New Jersey Pine Barrens. As you walk into the house you can smell the moisture from the rotting wood, and the piss that some passerby had taken in the corner a few days prior. Dank, musty and pine ridden.

The sad thing is, Guy Laroche's house was about 10 to 13 years late on Horizon's release date. This should have been an early 80's release, not a 93 release. No wonder this thing got swallowed up so fast in the early 90's aquatic pioneering craze. Some might say that Horizon is a part of that same phase, but I would argue that in order to claim that notion, one would have to make an argument that Pacco Rabanne PH deserves the right to carry that same title due to it's wet base, but both fall flat in the end.

Folks, this damp and musty basement fragrance should not be tied to an aquatic relation...period. This scent is a true aromatic all the way. Hats off to anyone who can pull it off. Feel free to pop my ballons, but I won't be wearing this offering any time soon unless my nose evolves greatly in the future.

galoguiu
galoguiu

Scent of summer. Very green with good longevity (about 7 hours) and moderate sillagem (only the first hour, then calms down and is right next to the skin). In my opinion is not great, but not bad. Priced well below other perfumes. He fulfills his role well, with a good fragrance. They say it was discontinued. If you find a bottle I recommend knowing. Thumbs up.

AZJeff
AZJeff

I bought my bottle of this cologne at a discount store,and got it at a good price a few years ago. I heard this is discontinued now,so that means they aren't making it anymore. Anyone that have a slight interest in owning it should get it now while they can. If all the stores get low on their stocks,they will jack up the prices cause they won't get more in. I like the scent. I can't really explain it in my own words. Some people describe it being a aquatic scent. I don't think so, but to each his own. It's not too strong. It's also kind of fresh.I can smell some mint notes in it. This is sort of an aquatic scent, picture being on some dark blue ocean somewhere.? If anyone can't find a tester in any store and want to try it, I'm willing to send a sample in a clear vial or atomizer for free. Please let me know.?

Redbeard
Redbeard

Moderately grapefruity, soapy herbal thing. Nice I suppose, but it's just slightly too close to standard-issue shampoo for me to really respect it. Consider Balle de Match instead...slightly less shampooey grapefruit. Still, I respect it as a sort of proto-aquatic.

RobbieX

Beautiful fresh fruity soapy and aquatic. Lasts ages and the silage is excellent. A great summer holiday juice which is unique in my opinion.

Brahmsfourth
Brahmsfourth

This smells just like Beverly Hills 90210 for Man. Horizon is an unusual, but weirdly appealing, aquatic.

carlosdavidz
carlosdavidz

This is a very nice fragrance to wear anytime. Yes it is cheap but not every expensive fragrances are good enough to be wear anyway. The mayority of perfumes these days are all sintetics. Totally recomemded.

tacoataco
tacoataco

the most misterious scent i have ever met

lal (like a lot)

rating 4*/5*

ikuone
ikuone

It's weird n strange scent but in a good way...I love it...it does compensate well with my skin...lasting on me...more than 8 to 9th hours I still can get the scent...really nice for me

silentrich
silentrich

@ Thismakesscents. You gotta be kidding me. No sillage and no longevity with Horizon. Sorry, but your review is trash.

oxm
oxm

How beautiful this fragrance is really nice good before, because through its fragrance tells moods, sea foam, gusts of cool wind or dew of the moor.
Its freshness is intact until the end with hints of citrus and herbs wrapped in the warmth of cedar and dark velvet musk and amber, it has a hint of rust and metal but it's very well made and this scent draws a great advantage radiating a strong and persistent freshness;
despite past 20 years remains
a good fragrance, despite being the younger brother of Drakkar has carved out a space all its own, and its name is really a success.
The fantastic ice blue glass bottle.
Deserves more of a chance

gazelle
gazelle

I found Horizon today on the final clearance table at a discount store. Two drops on my wrists and I picked out the pine tree needle note, reminiscent of the mini forest of 30 pine trees crowded into our northern Florida yard one mile from the Atlantic Ocean and its chilly winter breezes. My nose quickly detected the leather note and the oakmoss zing, not once stopping to distinguish any floral notes except for a touch of pepper and mint.
I will enjoy having my husband wear this EDT from the midnight blue bottle with textured glass pattern of mysterious design. The empty bottle will become a soothing "worry stone" for me, and a weight for my husband's papers.

Vitalik
Vitalik

Deep, dark, and mysterious.
An aura of mystery surrounds Horizon.
Come on, there is no other fragrance like it...
So please, please, bring it back!

Kaze
Kaze

''What would an ocean be without a monster lurking in the dark? It would be like sleep without dreams.''

An absolute and wonderful Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Horizon by Guy Laroche is a captivating soapy-floral, fresh-spicy and masculine potion. It opens up with bitter green notes which enfold into a leather-herbal musk with lingering spices to entice your senses.

It's both green and aquatic with an elusive touch. A monster with infinite power. Old school yet modern. Dark but fresh.

When I wear Horizon, I think of the ocean. I think of the amazon and thunderstorms.

This is one of my favorite scents to wear during the Summer next to Kenzo Pour Homme which share similar characteristcs.

It also works well during rainy hot Summer days.

The silage is wonderful where as longevity is beast. I get 10+ hours.

LSDnSideBurns
LSDnSideBurns

Unimaginably powerful for what it is.

It's like they took Cool Water, then dialed the volume up to 11.

I like Cool Water and Drakkar, but this stuff is obscene and crass. Sharp, bitter, it stings the senses. The florals, the lavender, all sharp as needles. There is a bit of minty freshness and a cool vibe in there which I do like.

Mind-boggling in strength.

Namida
Namida

Shy only at first...

Weightless aldeydhes like fairies bring you into a secolar wood of maritime pines without you noticing, whose shadows contrasts with whiffs of the maquis shrubland that surrounds the wood: lavander and artemisia give a dry and aromatic character to the perfume, enhanced by a salty marine breeze.

Little by little it gets more intense, and is enriched by other notes, it is really complex and changeable (one minute you feel a green geranium, one minute after the spicy touch of nutmeg or carnation). I think it's hard to put it in a precise category, in my opinion "Horizon" can embody all cosmos elements with sensations that evokes: Air, Water, Fire, Earth.

What makes the perfume extremely sexy is its salty and marine scent (water) combined with the incadescence of glowing resins (fire): it has a liquor-like quality, think of the best gin you have ever tasted!
This is Mars in the Scorpio, fire in water, aggressive but somehow somber and meditative, a difficult equilibrium of opposite natures.

In the end his troubled soul finds peace in the shadowy forest, and there he will stays until you call him forth again!

orestes
orestes

Unfortunately discontinued....

RobbieX

Horizon is a gorgeous scent. A lovely sweet and very fresh marine and green opening. The drydown is like slightly minty sea air. Staying power and projection are excellent. One of the most refreshing fragrances out there and close to being THE best aquatic. There's nothing quite like this and it's perfect for summertime.

noirdrakkar
noirdrakkar

I like this juice, and for the price, you can't go wrong. Not everyone will, but those who will will have something really unique. This is bold and controversial. This is not for those who want to please everybody, but rather someone looking for something different.

This is very strong. Fall/winter, 2 sprays tops.

One thing I noticed is that this shouldn't be an everyday scent. I really loved it the first two days, but during day 3 and 4, it started getting sickening. I couldn't even smell it for an entire month without getting disgusted. Months later, I put it back on, and I like it.

Rxd
Rxd

I seriously love this juice. Please don't buy it so that there will be more for me... Lol

Akhan
Akhan

Seriously underrated, this fragrance is an all-rounder! its sexy, sophisticated, fresh, deep, masculine, and very energizing.
there is a bit of an old school touch to this one, which i think is a good thing :-)
do give it a try and not on paper or fabric but on your skin. It dances out completely differently.

After half an hour it is beginning to smell very much like CD eau Sauvage. cant comment on the longevity right now but this fragrance has changed over 30 mins - still good :-)

post shower presence on my skin or is it my imagination??? Wow.... though have to admit the opening blast which is amazing does not sustain through to the dry down. BUT still its very pleasant and i am not even a tad bit angry at my friend for gifting it to me :-)

murysusanto
murysusanto

Super classic aquatic scent, this was one of the 80's enigma that changes perspective of aqua tonic fragrances. With almost all leading designer brands has it now and the sport blend. I guess it's how brands competition goes.

mark.gordon
mark.gordon

if you want to smell like shoe polish, petroleum, burnt rubber, and pleather upholstery this is the scent for you.

kgloverii
kgloverii

I bought this for my husband after discovering it hiding on a back shelf at Dollar Tree. This fragrance came out the year we graduated from high school, and I remember those sillage-monster colognes from those days quite vividly.

As a woman my tastes in perfumes are forward in thought, and I don't care for the heavy perfumes from that time that announce you are home to the neighborhood. But that's for me... I don't like men who smell like they've bathed in cologne, but a scent of man is appreciated and noted.

A lot of the recent men's colognes seem to really border on unisex, and even though I'm young in spirit, I want my husband to smell like a MAN. (and he prefers something that clearly confers his masculinity too). I've been a loss at a new cologne to buy him, and them this one calls me FROM A DOLLAR STORE, and ohmygod it was like the heavens opened up and gave me the perfect smell.

This cologne starts off sweet, but ultimately dries down into this amazing whirlwind of scents, a mix of woodsy and aquatic, this incredibly complex scent that screams MAN and if he overdoes it, you will run far, far away. But a small dab, and it's GAME ON, husband. He can wear this every day and night, and it will have me following him close behind. This cologne is a masterpiece of complexity, and I'm So glad I found it. I would've glad paid $80 for a bottle of this elixir.

glitterlust
glitterlust

I was expecting something more compelling from this as there are so many warnings to not buy blind.

The top notes are extremely delicious; fresh sweet mint like a mojito with slices of citrus. Blam! It turns into dry acrid lavender, so much so I thought it was that off smell when perfume gets too much sun or heat. No, just lavender and some other dry herbs and spices. Suddenly this passes too and the base reveals a fairly middle of the row aromatic fougere dry down with hints of calone.

I was also surprised at how little lasting power and sillage this presents on me. In my books this is not a powerhouse, more an experiment in combining two opposing olfactory groups combining to create something not as good as either.

Zenith
Zenith

A very good scent for a very good price. Fresh and spicy throughout, I feel this is suitable for almost any occasion. It is fresh and "sporty" enough to wear at work but complex enough to wear on a night out.

Decent longevity and projection, this is something that I feel punches way above its price range. I can't smell half of the notes in the pyramid there, mostly comes across as aquatic and spicy, quite unlike any other scent I have come across.

Discontinued apparently, but still readily available

Lana Lool
Lana Lool

I did not have high expectations for this, but I was very pleasantly surprised. This has old school charm the type Aramis New West has, except this may be slightly "cleaner". It is loaded with oakmoss, and has some wonderful, but not overpowering green notes. Sometimes green can be bitter and tiresome, but this is actually well balanced, and even brags a bit of leather, and it's actually a nice leather note. For the money, you really can't go wrong with this. I would wear this over many perfumes that cost 10 times this amount. A nice refreshing scent, without being too minty or piney or citrussy. Really worth a try for those that aren't scared of oakmoss and "manly" type aromas. Really surprsing! (And that's a good thing)

chrismriley@hotmail.com
chrismriley@hotmail.com

A pungent, heavy, mature scent which has good projection and longevity..

I applied 6 heavy sprays

0 - 3 hours - 1.25 foot projection. Starts of as a mature, dirty earth, heavy, serious frag with a twist of something more light hearted and green which attempts to balance it out and it nearly gets there

However after 30 mins the light hearted twist goes and whats left, too me, is a foul musky scent and it is too serious. This is just too spicy and I am suprised to see this listed as "fresh spicy"

3 hours - 4 hours - 7 inch projetion, same as above

4-7 hours - 3 inch projection. Significant smokiness kicks in and this comes as relief from the harshness and bitterness. It's the stuff now of hard masculinity; perhaps someone who has not appreciated my earlier comments..

7 - 9 hours. Close to skin, pretty much just smokiness

This is too mature and heavy a frag for my personal taste.

Affordable and may appeal to those who like strong, highly spicy frags, with that 80's vibe

stinkerweed
stinkerweed

It has been years since I've worn this, and I can still remember it. Like a lot of scents from this time the vendor apparently wanted you to get your money's worth! It was a scent that threw the door open and announced your arrival. I used to keep it in my travel kit. That could be why the people seated around me on the plane opened up the airvents? ;) It is spicy and floral and bold.

pob75
pob75

Tried this because it was very cheap with good reviews. It starts off very strong, soapy and floral but fresh. It is heavily floral/herbal throughout but stays incredibly masculine with some sour, green and spicy notes.
Progresses nicely, complex and interesting and stays strong. There is a sour note I love that fades but never disappears. Late on it has leathery, musky notes but still retains the floral ones and it smells beautiful.

It seems to me that there are a lot of opposites in this: strong/subtle, fresh/heavy, cool/warm, floral/masculine, sweet/sour - and it seems very well balanced.

This is a heavy hitter - you can practically see the sillage trails. Projects strongly for more than 6-8 hours and continues to project moderately well beyond that.
Lasts forever - It is strong on skin for in excess of 10 hours. You can still smell it the morning after.
2 little sprays of this are plenty. It could easily be cloying and overbearing if you were to use too much.

Used cautiously I think this is fantastic stuff. Can't believe the quality of it for the price I paid. I'll be stocking up. The only better scent I've found for this sort of money is Montana Parfum D'Homme.

colson
colson

I had this when I was about 19/20 and loved it. Forgot about it for a long time but found a cheapie bottle on-line. What everyone else says about it is true - unique smell, very powerful first impression; maybe a bit overpowering initially. Unusual take on aquatics but different.

krmarich
krmarich

I was cleaning out my collection and stumbled across this magic frosty blue bottle. I have always set it aside and have decided its time to rediscover it. It is much better than Drakkar Noir, and for the most part relegated to the final clearance shelves. I generally reject aquatics. This one take the class back to its green fougere origins.

A word about the original Drakkar. It was brilliant and lighter than Noir, which has its place. I had some in 1984 and preferred it to Noir. Horizon enters the race at second place.

This fougere is blue-green and loyal to the class, now sadly forgotten. The are so many notes that it plays like Oscar De La Renta PL, Kouros and Xeryus. It project several feet and lasts for hours. It is indeed a "powerhouse", which may scare todays crowd. Sorry boys, this is for men only. It was from an era of HERE I AM!, but I didnt say a word.

I do not get the aquatic note that often sickens me. The cool lavender/mint notes are very refreshing. The manly florals of cyclamen, jasmine, carnation, geranium and rose are so carefully blended with the pine. Never once do it get seaweed or algae. The leather, coumarin, sandalwood, mossy amber closing notes are so sublime. Oakmoss is prominent here and project it far. Its a classy dignified composition in every way.

The inspiration is the sea. It is more icy, than warm. Like the sea spray that freezes on rocks. I love wearing it in winter. The florals come alive in the cold. I keep mine in the freezer and on hot days a spray is so cooling on my skin.

The great tragedy is seeing it on final clearance at a dollar store! Its my triumph as I have a full bottle of this niche quality brilliance for $5.00 USD!!!

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

I chuckled in good humor while reading Bigsly's chief issue with Horizon - its considerable strength. Before even sniffing this scent, I knew it would be heavy. Most of the proto-aquatics of the late '80s and early '90s (pre-1994) tend to pack a wallop. I think it's interesting to observe how thick the sillage from these scents are. Stuff like Drakkar Noir, Polo Sport, Molto Smalto, and Insensé Ultramarine make their presence known, and Horizon is no exception. In light of this, unless you intend on making it your signature, I recommend sticking to the 1.7 oz. bottle, as it will go a very long way.

Now, on to the scent. Horizon opens with a bitter accord of grapefruit, lavender, pine, mint, and a "marine" note that is as bracing as it is heavy. The lavender - which is stunning - is the first horse out of the gate, followed by a minty grapefruit note. After ten or fifteen minutes, these elements meld into a more herbal and peppery fennel midsection, although the grapefruit continues to blare away. It's at this stage that things go from an evergreen color to a citrus blue. As the herbs settle, the abstract blue "marine" note, which is ostensibly calone, mingles with a warmer sandalwood and patchouli base. Maybe it's my imagination, but I swear this note smells like ambergris. It is very vague but it has that mineral twinkle to it. The grapefruit finally sweetens (and thankfully never sours), lending a certain brightness to the proceedings. Horizon's drydown is considerably more civilized than its wild opening, and the scent is artistically all the better for it.

If you're like me in finding mainstream aquatics distasteful, this unusual fougère from Guy Laroche might be your cup of tea. I think Horizon is terrific stuff, upper middle-shelf juice, worth far more than I paid for it. Simply stunning, considering what else is out there for ten times as much! It's aquatic, yes, but it's also greener and more complex than your standard Acqua di Gios, Nautica Voyages, and Azzaro Chromes. That said, it's much chewier in texture, denser, and less au courant. I find that the marine/wood notes in Horizon are dynamic, but still a bit "perfumey" and synthetic, perhaps due to their heavy-handed integration into the scent's core. Ironically, it's this accord that reminds me most of Drakkar Noir, and not the bitter citrus or pine needles. Nevertheless, Horizon is unisex, very well-made, and for the price it's worth checking out.

Rob in VanCity
Rob in VanCity

This Guy Laroche fragrance never caught on like Drakkar did. But I LOVE this fragrance. It lasts a long time, and has a fresh sea/ocean smell to it. I wish it was never discontinued. Bought it as a gift set back in 1995, and able to snag another one years later. I will savor it occasionally as I don't want it to run out!!

sniff-sniff
sniff-sniff

Tried this for the first time tonight, and was pleasantly surprised. Not another copycat scent like Polo Blue or Polo Black, which smell to me like every other men's scent (CK One) released in the last 15 years. Not some soft-and-squishy, limp-wristed, hand-wringin' unisex pansy scent, either. Very complicated, long-lasting, woodsy, smoky. If you like Polo (Green), Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, or Drakkar Noir, try this scent before it's too late.

If you like this scent (and my wife certainly likes it on me), better lay in a supply soon - I bought mine at an "everything's a dollar" store (bought every bottle they had - "makes a great gift"...). It also no longer appears on the Guy Laroche website.

The lavender in this is very strong, and it's clearly a fougere type of accord. The other strong thing you notice is a marine note. Think seaweed (with some unidentified things stuck to it) on the beach at Montauk Point, not a cool breeze as you sit on a beach in the Caribbean. There is also a strong peppery quality that comes and goes. This is the only frag that I had a negative comment on, probably because I am discreet, usually only spraying once to the chest, but that was too much with Horizon, apparently (though that was 2 sprays to the chest).

The base is actually quite good, definitely "old school," but with my skin chemistry, the lavender/fougere and marine elements last far too long. I'd also say that this may come across as "synthetic," though I couldn't tell you why. Longevity and projection/"sillage" are very strong. I would have diluted this and tried it again but I broke my bottle! If you want a "dirty" marine note added to an "80s power" fragrance, give this a try. If you want a cheap aquatic that is similar to Acqua di Gio, you are in for an unpleasant surprise!

UPDATE: I reacquired a bottle and have found that misting it into the air then walking through the mist is a great application method with this one. It's almost stronger than an eau de parfum, though the box says eau de toilette, so the density of it needs to be lessened or else it's too "thick" and heavy for me. However, it still has a kind of sour quality that those who like the common aquatic fragrances might really dislike. For me, it's one of the few true "masculine" fragrances that can compete with the best "feminine" ones in terms of construction. What that means is it's strong up front and has some good note/accord contrast (here it is a fougere accord and "marine notes"). That lasts a very long time and the complex base comes forward just enough to balance out the top accords. In most of today's men's fragrances, by contrast, the top notes dissipate and a generic base takes over within one to two hours. The patchouli is quite strong eventually, and it is not softened up, as in several Mugler fragrances, so if you dislike patchouli this may be one to avoid.

UPDATE #2: Is there calone in here or something else that produces the strong marine accord? I doubt any natural extract was used, so if not, what could be doing it? If it was a huge amount of calone, wouldn't that smell really "synthetic?" Also, descriptions of calone that I've read are not consistent with Horizon. Here is one:

"For all of you who believe you may not be familiar with Calone: you ARE familiar with it — Calone is present in hundreds of masculine and feminine perfumes, especially ones that proclaim an affinity with the seaside. When the words “aquatic,” “marine” or “oceanic” are included in a list of perfume notes, or in a perfume description, the chances are good Calone is in the formula. Calone is so ubiquitous, when I smell it I think: “Department Store Perfume Counter, Anywhere, USA”. (I also sometimes think: “Housework!” because there are lots of Calone-rich cleaning products on the market; Calone = Clean.)

Calone was discovered by the drug company Pfizer in 1966 and is similar in chemical structure to pheromones secreted by certain brown algae*. Calone’s molecular structure also resembles tranquilizers** and I can attest to the ‘sleep-inducing’ — i.e. boredom-producing — effects of Calone; the scent of Calone is everywhere: in anti-bacterial wipes, supermarket soaps and detergents, “fine” fragrances and candles. But don’t call me an outright “Calone-Hater”; though Calone can be “obnoxious” and harsh (semi-industrial in character) when it dominates a perfume, if Calone is skillfully blended with other notes, especially rich notes, it can buoy a fragrance, add zing."

You can find the rest of this article at nstperfume dot com. For some reason, it's not letting me post the actual link here.

jtis30
jtis30

To me this smells like ocean air & grapefruit, heavy, & long lasting - a BEAST. Something similar to this but more subtle & a bit smoother is quiksilver. You MUST NOT OVERAPPLY! Another layering frag might be needed here - something soft and sweet to tame this. Oh, yeah, like others have said - DO NOT spray on clothes - it doesn't work with the frag.

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

One of the best summer fragrances ever concocted IMHO. It will always remind me about my summer of 1994 when I did my driving license aged 21. I was so young then and life was so good. The fragrance just fit into my life and I loved the light freshness with added sophistication.
The aldehydes are the first burst of this fresh, floral musky floral concoction.
It is probably the best "aquatic" scent after KENZO's 1992 L'Eau par Kenzo.

I have never seen this again on the shelves ever since then, so I don't think it was a great success, sadly.

I do however remember it was not particularly long-lasting.

Newer and better fragrances followed suit with bigger names and promotions: TOMMY by Hilfiger, ACQUA DI GIO, CK One, following the big aquatic trend in the 90ies and just pushed this wonderful composition into oblivion.

Sad.

Grottola
Grottola

Horizon by Guy Laroche

The good:

Horizon is a dark, juicy take on the aquatic genre that opens with juicy citrus, fruits, aquatic notes, mint, and lavender. This "cooling" effect lasts throughout the drydown thanks to the mint and geranium notes. Some slight pine-like, forest notes make an entry as Horizon dries down and give it an outdoorsy feel combined with the aquatic notes. Oakmoss in the base. The longevity and sillage are both superb - I get up to 9 hours out of Horizon.

The bad:

This is a very unique scent, and not for everyone. The top notes can be quite shocking just because of how unique they are. Definitely try before you buy.

The ugly:

The fact that Horizon doesn't get more recognition. It's unconventional for sure, but with the immense popularity Drakkar Noir has garnered, why can't Horizon get some attention?

Bottom line:

Guys, try it. You don't have to like it, but at least try it to get an idea of what an aquatic can be with some attention to detail. I find it to be absolutely mouth-watering and strangely enticing. The price? Unbeatable. One of the few aquatic fragrances that actually "wow" me (along with New West by Aramis, Kenzo Pour Homme, Aqua Motu by Comptoir Sud Pacifique, and Bulgari Aqua).

BIG
BIG

Where do i begin?
The initial blast has a distant sweetness and i hoped it would last sometime. But not my luck. The scent goes into full herbal territory and honestly there's no trace of aquatic or dewy notes or whatsoever. Minty herbs paradise! It doesn't cheer me up or evoke some sort of feelings! Time will tell.

EDIT: I decided that Horizon will be my scent for Rainy summer and fall days. I think it projects better during windy days and cooler weather

cowboykenny27
cowboykenny27

I think is this is a very herbal and very unsweet fragrance , I personally like it but can see why others may not if they like sweet scents . Nice bottle .This to me does smell a little dated but it is different and I lie that about it

Having been a big fan of Drakkar Noir for many years, I really wanted to smell other scents by Guy LaRoche. This one for some reason, was nearly impossible for me to find here in the NE United States. Thank you very much to Action for the lovely decant-great swapping with you!...

If Drakkar Noir is the "bad boy", Horizon is his outdoorsy younger brother. Bright, sporty, athletic and green. This has many notes listed (as does DN) but they are so well blended; that ultimately, there are notes that come and go during its development, but it is overall very "green" and warmly fresh...

The opening is very bright, with citruses, sharp herbs and some dry florals. It reminds me of a clear summer day without a cloud in the sky...green meadows, herbs growing, lush leaves and fresh air. As it begins to dry it becomes somewhat softer and warmer-carnation and geranium make it manly and floral while caraway adds a hint of warm spiciness to the green pine needles and remaining flowers-here it is sweet but refined, smooth and sexy. The drydown is all man. Forget about the usually generic combination of the listed basenotes, this is woody but not at all common, mossy but not overly thick, musky and leathery-but not in a brutish way: more of a smooth and sexy way. The amber and patchouli are swirling around in there too, but are not really oriental; they just add to the overall rich (but not heavy) feel here. This is very aptly named as it reminds me of where the sea meets the sky on a bright clear day-superlative!

Sillage: excellent
Longevity: above average
Overall: 4.75/5

There was also a Drakkar (original) but I have not been able to find that either; since it was discontinued in favor of continued production of the Noir. If you like complex fragrances wellmade and elegant, with an overly green, natural feel get this. Can't find it right away...keep looking, as this is worth the search! Horizon is currently one of my new favorite fragrances!

Finisterle
Finisterle

First: an invigorating, healthy mint & grapefruit blast with some herbs.

Later: a lingering of sea salt, exotic pepper and a bit of humidity.

Horizon is on the discrete, calm and manly unsweet side. The drydown shifts a bit like the smells of a beach would shift as you were walking along it.

Lastly: when Horizon reaches its Horizon far into the drydown it says good bye with the finest light musky melancholia I have met in fragrance. A last few sunrays that keep me mesmerized and enjoying.
Verdict: a true gem that I miss when not using. Its discontinuation is just as much a disaster as when Iquitos and Escada PH were axed; I mean murdered.

Cool Breeze 31
Cool Breeze 31

I love Horizon, I bought it in '94 but never wore it, it was a little too mature for me at the time, so it sat unused in my closet until summer '08, well Im on my second bottle now, that ought to tell you how much I like it. Horizon is different than other colognes I'v smelled before, its fresh, a little soapy and a bit dirty with lots of green and floral notes, slightly aquatic with a hint of mint.

I can wear this everyday, I especially like to wear it when its raining out, also in the fall/winter (even though its more of a summer scent). I love how its a little dirty, just the right amount, with out being to dirty. When I wear this its reminds me of a dark cloudy/rainy summer day (Possibly in the UK). It goes on a little soapy, but dries down pretty quickly and smells even better, it also last a fairly long time.

I If you are looking for something a bit different and a cologne not to many other guys wear or have ever heard of, then buy this, its a one of a kind, GEM!

mrdibiagio
mrdibiagio

acuatico y fresco, no muy dulce en el fondo de las notas. De buena persistencia en la piel.

powerindoing
powerindoing

I have come to really like this cologne. It seemed a bit overpowering at first, and when I first applied it it reminded me of bug spray, and if sprayed on clothes it keeps that same scent, it *must* be applied to the skin, and then once it dries down, it is absolutely wonderful. And it lasts much longer than a lot of the very pricey colognes I wear, i.e. Creed. It is very unique, and still masculine.

Herzeleid
Herzeleid

very fresh, cool perfume, love wearing it everiday

knightz
knightz

Horizon has a fresh, peppery, mint and spice thing going on with a dominant fennel overtone. It is very linear, the scent stays mostly the same throughout it's duration. There is a slightly soapy turn as the heart fades into the base after few hours. I'm glad I found Horizon, it's different than any other cologne I have. Although the notes listed here say that there is musk and amber, I don't ever get anything resembling musk or amber notes. It keeps it's (musk-less & amber-less) freshness to the end. Longevity is very good.

Very sharp and bold. Horizon is good for daytime casual/sports wear.

Although this is great for the Spring and Summer, I find it's even better in the Fall/Winter. The cool weather brings out a lot more florals than I can smell in the hot weather. Truly a versatile scent, excellent all year round.

This can be found at a very low price, but try before buying, it's very unusual.

Horizon by Guy Laroche 3.74 out of 5 based on 231 ratings and 57 user reviews

Guy Laroche Horizon Eau de Toilette Spray, 1.7 fl oz
Guy Laroche Horizon Eau de Toilette Spray, 1.7 fl oz
Horizon Cologne by Guy Laroche, 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Men
Horizon Cologne by Guy Laroche, 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Men

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guy Laroche Horizon fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Guy Laroche Horizon, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Horizon by Guy Laroche. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Horizon by Guy Laroche represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.