Designers » F-H » Floral Fruity « Groups

Catalyst Halston for women

Catalyst Halston for women
dislike

Catalyst Halston for women Pictures

Catalyst by Halston is a Floral Fruity fragrance for women. Catalyst was launched in 1993. Top notes are gardenia, peach, hiacynth and bergamot; middle notes are carnation, tuberose, orange blossom, narcissus, orchid, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley, orris root and rose; base notes are sandalwood, amber, musk, vanilla and cedar.

Gardenia Peach Hiacynth Bergamot

Carnation Tuberose Orange Blossom Narcissus Orchid Jasmine Lily-of-the-Valley Orris Root Rose

Sandalwood Amber Musk Vanilla Cedar

Giorgio
ZoZo

Catalyst Fragrance Reviews

suhaesa
suhaesa

i was surprised not to find Giorgio Beverly hills listed on the ,this perfume reminds me of icons on the top,and i happily and confidently added it !...giorgio came in 81 and catalyst a decade later...so it is the impostor..i ve already reviewed giorio beverly hills and its imitation zozo by the British company Milton Lloyd(which makes some of the best and most realistic dupes ever)..so do i really have to write another review ..about the exact same perfume.. in a different bottle.. and with a different name..?!
first of all don't get me wrong.. i respect the house of halston tremendously.. and i love many of their fragrances..and hunt them.. and i think they make some of the longest lasting opulent.. strong.. perfumes.. that can be smelled from miles away.. if this doesn't bother you..certenely doesnt bother me..i personally love many perfumes from halston and i did purchase 2 catalysts.. its a great perfume.. that has presence.. substance... ....charisma..(infinite charisma) .... and dignity....
a full.. power house.. of the 8oies made in 93 ..catalyst is the type of perfume you want to wear to a new years party.. with family and friends.. its easily a signature scent.. people will remember you with either this or giorgio.. they are more or less the same..
catalyst begins with a pungent strong blast of ..hmmm i dont know.. its an explosion.. of bright ..floraly.. explosive.. accords ..that shock your entire being..and core.. and shake every sinew.. and vain.. in your body.. with ecstatic cosmic perfume energy.. its a moving bomb.. exploding at every direction.. not waiting to explode.. its exploding ..the entire time ..you are wearing it.. yet enjoyable.. yet strangely giving a mesmerizing aurora.. of bright.. clean ..crisp ..green ..aromatic ..velvety.. crispness.. and opulancy..
bright ..full.. green.. musky ..sexy.. ingratiating.. moving ..shattering.. confident.. long lasting.. silage is monstrous.. people in the other rooms will smell you.. its yet not that crazy annoying.. with all that depth of character.. its still bearable.. beautiful.. and surprisingly sexy.. and classy.. oh all this explosiveness.. and classy..?! its not as vulgar.. not as tame.. not as deep ..it all sings in higher accords ..these type of perfumes are so hard to explain in words.. you just have to smell either giorgio beverly hills or catalyst halston to know what i am talking about..
in my mind these two resemebel parties social gatherings of the high and fluent in the 80ies 9oies and resembles strong.. confident ..beautiful.. rich.. want to be seen..and smelled non shy ..talkative characters..slightly ego centic persoanlities.. slightly for over 40 although i never give age to perfumes ..i had a giorgio added to my collection when i was turning 13 !..didnt use it as much.. still to this day.. i dont use it as much as i should.. i don't know why.. maybe it has something to do with tits explosive qualities.. but i still love it.. and hold a special place in my heart ..and olfactory memory ..for it and all the special days i ve used it and mesmerized the stars..
oh wait a minute i know know why i don't use it as much i feel a little light headed and naucious after reviewing it on an empty stomach maybe that's why i am very sensitive to harsh scents and have a fragile git ..
catalyst is for the brave of heart the strongest of all who can use montana by montan and paloma picaso and knowing el who love yeasatis and can handel amirage givenchy although i ended up in an er using amirage ..girgio is not as potent but do be careful use with caution for the faint of heart and nose

ps
i had a candle from giorgio beverlly hilss when i was in boarding school in richmond college and i loved it so much more than the actual perfume every time i smell either catalyst or giorgio i smell candle wax in a good way though

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

Much more of a GREEN floral than a fruity floral, and not very sweet either.

I find this fragrance unnerving in the summer months, redolent of celery and oddly harsh gardenias. But in winter it can really bloom with a delirious spring freshness.

In time I ignored the opening vibe of celery entirely and concentrated on that clear toned vibrancy of springtime. The cheapest end-of-winter treat!

Verdict: Highly original, niche type scent. You must love strong, old fashioned divas and greens to qualify. :) Very much a love or hate fragrance.

silverbutterfly
silverbutterfly

Catalyst-this one is sort of bitter-green perfume. I define notes as sandalwood, musk, and oak moss some heavy flowery smell, although, it is not as annoying as modern expensive perfumes, that you want immediately scrub, unless it disappeared themselves. This perfume stays on you a few hours in a row, and don't disturb you, and it is already a good sign. And perhaps, after a while someone will like it on you.

jankowska.martyna
jankowska.martyna

old-school fragrance. really! totally vintage

bonnie52
bonnie52

I see that this must be a love or hate kind of scent. I don't understand why there has to be bashing of other perfumes when giving a review though. Someone said it smells like the horrid bad oil smell of Passion. I LOVE Passion so I ordered this on EBAY. I will test it out when it arrives and give my review. Hoping to love it!

It arrived today. Fried kidneys and curry??? Not on me! I smell lily of the valley, tuberose, lilac, pepper, and some oak moss (maybe a slight hint of curry). I find it very intriguing and I really like it! I don't think it smells at all like Passion but I sure wish it did!

Debra1

Sorry to say the only strong sent that was also a floral sent that didn't work for me was Gergio, becase it came off way to sharp from beinging to end and didn't mellow out, becasue it didn't have enough or had no grounding ingredients in it like woods and musk or powery elements to mellow it out.

Debra1

Lucky for me strong sents works with my chemistry, the wimpy stuff just fades away on me, and my chemistry works well with most perfumes that make them selves heard, and not be too over ower powerful or stinky. Catalist has been one of my wite floral sents I go to in summer and spring. I'm tipicaly an oriental sent Chick, so I also love the complexity of this Sent as well, I still get my heady musks and spices and woods, with ever emergeing flowers and fruits that blend them selves into this heavely aroma, that gets me noticed with lots of compiments a and, the sent is interesting and It makes me interesting and well as lushious, sweet aluring and just downright Beautiful.

empressevie
empressevie

This is the CRAZIEST perfume I've ever had...or maybe I have the craziest chemistry. Thought I'd try this, as I found an amazing price for it. Put it on and...OH MY GOODNESS! Well, actually not,because to say it smelt loathsome is an understatement!!!

Looked at the reviews, and agreed with michelle.p.stpie and Bettynoir. Chemistry, I decided.

I've been busy, so didn't scrub that stinker off.

And...guess what. Now, some 2 hours later, this is yummy!! A real flower, fruity bodied, singing, sweet, light fume. NOT girly...summer flowers and fruit in a real garden joyous. Wow!!
Now, I just have to remember to put this on 2 hours before I go anywhere.

So yes, my chemistry did play havoc, but I totally get how wonderful this must be for those with a normal reaction to the playful perfume.
Lucky, lucky them to have this diamond in their arsenal!

michelle.p.stpierre
michelle.p.stpierre

I'm with BettyNoir. I'm scratching my head, looking at the notes listed, and wondering, are we talking about the same scent? This smelled horrible on me. I'm glad I just got a sample. For openers, this smelled like fried kidneys and curry. Then, it smelled like grass and mildew. Sexy? Well maybe if I want to attract "Swamp Thing" who likes fried kidneys and curry! (>_<)

susset
susset

This perfume is a kind of oldfashion scent, but it is very nice and sophisticated as well...I like it

VeeNVegas
VeeNVegas

I received a small bottle of the perfume with a purchase on E-bay. The little bottle looks like the small picture above but is frosted. Beautiful! I came immediately online to buy a bottle, just knowing that it would be too expensive or hard to find. NOT!..very inexpensive and readily found.

I was shocked to come here and read the reviews on this fragrance. I smell only beautiful white florals and amber. No peppery or spicy notes,no herb, no green or oakmoss...just sweet and beautiful flowers...definitely no cooking odors! It truly seems as though some of us are smelling an entirely different product than others are. I thought it must be because I have the perfume and maybe others were describing the EDT, but after checking the reviews again I can see that isn't so. Many describing the EDT are smelling exactly what I smell in this little bottle of perfume. Maybe just body chemistry?

Have to say it made me pause before buying as I don't care for green scents at all and have never fancied smelling like kidneys cooking on the stove! Going ahead with the purchase as it is so inexpensive. Will be back to update on this after testing the EDT against the perfume.

Edit: Okay, received my bottle of EDT today and there is definitely a very different smell to this. I get the bitter, mossy smell...and I absolutely smell curry! Not horrible, but not what I smelled in the perfume and not something I would ever really want to wear.

Edit: This just needed to settle down for a bit. That bitter, mossy smell is gone within 10 minutes and I am left with the same beautiful smell I got from the Parfum.

penelopeanne
penelopeanne

OMG! I have to be honest and say that I bought this because it is so cheap and I can't resist a bargain. It is fabulous. Reminds me of Scherrer which I can no longer afford. The first note for me is black pepper and the a green metalic smell which then goes very oriental and sexy...definately a scent for a confident sexy woman not a girly girl.

jmbmars
jmbmars

Just got this one in today 3/2/13 and it does contain tree moss and oak moss not stated here but on the box. It does smell dated, but you can smell the florals in the mid notes and drydown. A mere $7.49 for 3.4 oz. I've smelled worse. Not bad for the price.
Notes according to Perfume Intelligence are top notes of jonquil, tuberose, rose, jasmine. Heart notes are muguet, cassias, and violet. Base notes are sandalwood, patchouli, musk, and oakmoss.

Lara517

Like Betty Noir, I bought this blind as well. It is SO very sweet and very strong! I do not detect cumin in it, but rather Lilly of the Valley, and it is very strong Lilly of the Valley. My daughter told me, "Mom, you smell like an old lady, like Grandma".
I wanted to send it right back, but the dry down is OK, I can live with it and if I wear just a tiny spritz and mix it with one of my "Clean or Water" parfums it works. That may sound a bit drastic, but it works for me. I've even gotten compliments on my mixture.

I shall not buy Catalyst again. But I'm open to trying anything that the Halston noses create.

BettyNoir

I just have to add to my previous review and say I am very surprised that there are supposedly so many floral notes in this. Floral is something I did not get at all.

I usually love hyacinth and lily of the valley notes, but these were not remotely discernible to me with this scent. Maybe sandalwood, but nothing else apart from dry wood and harsh spice.

BettyNoir

Oh dear. I bought this blind and ten minutes later I can't get rid of the smell of curry on my wrist. Is there cumin in this? Normally I don't mind spicy but this smells like a Balti dish in the 1970s with a whiff of cheap aftershave over the top of it.

Don't get me wrong, I love spicy food and I love spicy perfumes, but I don't like it when the two smell interchangeable.

This is a real stinker I'm afraid!

islarosa
islarosa

At first spray...questionable, quite strong though not totally offensive. Given a very short time (about 10-12 minutes) to settle on my skin (medium fair in tone)...WOW! Glorious...'HEADY' from all the florals...intoxicatingly sensuous...then it's perfectly grounded by bottom notes of musk. If able to acquire this lovely scent for a reasonable price, go for it. Enjoy the adventure...what life is all about...

pollyjean23
pollyjean23

I forgot about Catalyst! I remember it being very sharp and biting. It reminded me of this cough medicine I used to have to take as a kid. Even with all that, I still kind of liked it. Could never stop sniffing it. Quite unique.

ecofreak2001
ecofreak2001

I got this as a gift from my brother. Hmmmm, I got mixed emotions on this one. At first a strong, bitter smell that hits you in the face. I really don't like it; it seems like something has been stored for a really long time. But when time passes, it leaves a woody, spicy, flowery, musky smell. Very elegant and grown up. I agree with Darlingbuds...you should wait to leave the house so that you and the rest of humanity could enjoy this exotic smell. It's really strong...not a fav., but I don't hate it.

CH3N
CH3N

I got this today in the post. I really wanted to buy this after reading through the comments about it. thinking it was going to be a beautiful sent as indicated by the beautiful bottle a purchased it. I opened it to take a sniff... I was blown away of how horrible it is it reminds me of something bad for some reason. My mummy loves it though.

Smells like chemicals defo for older people im 18

pablOSO
pablOSO

Unisex this is not....kind of reminds me of an old teacher i had in elementary school....good...but only for women..

Chefhughes
Chefhughes

I have this fragrance, at the back of my collection, my husband gave it to me as a gift for no particular reason, which was nice. The fragrance itself was not nice at first, but I wore it as to not seam ungrateful, it settled into something bearable. But. Have to say every second person told me that day I smelt beautiful. So I eventually worked out that less is better and to apply it a good 30min prior to leaving the house, I now have grown to love the sharp peppery notes, celery seed and carnation. And value for money.

pugnose
pugnose

It reminds me of the horrid bad oil smell of Passion but for some reason I like Catalyst. And they are selling it everywhere these days for next to nothing.

Sonia & Nyoka really got me curious about this one!! I actually LOVE the Halston house, but do not have that much of this house yet! This just looks like ME ME ME, looking at the notes and everything reading in the reviews! Will be buying this one blind very soon!!

distortech
distortech

Floral green with a bit of stinky herb's and stuff. A cacophony,yes....but it's fabulous. Most definitely unisex. If you can find it, you must try it.

Kittycat63
Kittycat63

Like Lizzykay, I also bought a bottle of this at a bargain price and I'm really disappointed! I'd read reviews of it on and off for awhile and thought it sounded interesting, the bottle looked nice and I have Halston Sheer, which is a good perfume, so I was curious to try it.

Imagine my disappointment then to find, when it arrived in the post, that it smells very synthetic and chemical'ish. I can't detect any individual notes at all and it just smells like an artificial, pongy mess! It also smells very "cold" and even astringent. I've smelled perfumes like this before though on older women but they just smell unpleasant and synthetic so I can't understand why anyone would want to wear them.

In fact, I disliked the smell of this perfume so much I couldn't even bear to spray it on myself so I just sprayed it in the air, which was bad enough! Tragically, the smell lingered too and wouldn't disappear for ages so I wouldn't even use it as an air freshener!!

This actually reminds me of Kouros, the men's fragrance, which I also dislike intensely!

wosic
wosic

I've just recieved Catalyst (pure perfume). To my nose it's extremaly similar to Metal by Paco Rabanne but not so strong at the beginning (maybe because it's PP and they smell mildly and close-to-skin on me).
I can't detect any peaches.

nyoka
nyoka

THis is a delicious fruity floral!The sweet,juicy fruit melds beautifully with the gardenia and orchid.YUM! I love this part but what I love most is the warm,smooth,velvety amber drydown.So cozy,like a warm cashmire shawl.U can almost hear the wind blowing outside and see the dry leaves scurry by.Anyone could wear.

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

Oh my God, I love this scent!!!! Nice creamy Amber scent when the dry down occurs. I love a full bodied strong scent and this fits the bill as far as good hearty scent goes. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS! Passed the eight hour test for strength, a good sign of a good perfume in my opinion. I like to know I get my money's worth but this is beyond that for me.

cleo cupcake
cleo cupcake

I tested Catalyst today and found it an overwhelming spice and herb assault! I got cumin, curry leaves and something like celery seed. If it was cooking in a pan in the kitchen it might be very interesting - maybe as the base of a creole type dish - but on my wrist it was just horrible. A total scrubber - and as is the way with scrubbers when I added water it only got stronger.

lizzykay
lizzykay

I bought Catalyst at a bargain price from a reputable shop and though well impressed by the bottle I don't think much of the fragrance. Looking at the notes it is meant to have, maybe I got something else entirely. I don't get floral. Just chemicals and a rather sharp herbal. It is slightly better in warmer weather as the sharpness is nearly a citrus tang. But there's no sweetness to it and it just is not pretty at all.

geegee
geegee

I too dont detect any vanilla at all but i really like this perfume.

Its very very strong at first but i dont mind that because i know it will settle into a warm 'ambery' hue.

It is very flowery but the amber makes it less girl & more womanly.

I totally agree with Barbiot in that it does smell a great deal like first by van cleef & as its a fraction of the price of First i shall be popping back to the perfume counter to buy another one whilst they have it on offer of £4.99 in a clearance.

Bargain or what.

If anyone can find a perfume thats smells just like D&G BY please please please tell me, not that im begging or anything, Lol.

barbiot35
barbiot35

Not for young people! This is a li'l bit old stylish one...Yes, full of flowers but in a really heavy way:( Its smell should be classified as floral aldehyde, not fruity and it's similar to First by VCA, if you like it, you will love this too...

asilverfire614
asilverfire614

Oh, I wanted to like this so badly because I really love that bottle! Sadly, this fragrance is NOT for me.

I completely agree with darlingbuds...for the first 15 minutes or so, the top notes are extremely sour and rancid. I can't even explain how it smells to my nose, it's just so awful...

Then, all I get is carnation. Maybe just a touch of tuberose. Then the musk...sandalwood, and some cedar. Where are all those other lovely floral notes listed? Not on my arm!

This carnation is not a pretty one...it is warm, yes, but warm in a sickening, rotting way. Not a fresh floral way at all. I honestly can't recommend this to anyone, unless you love carnations...and even then, you've been warned! :)

darlingbuds
darlingbuds

When I was a kid we had this neighbor who would fry up kidneys for his breakfast on Sunday mornings. On first spray of Halston's Catalyst, the immediate and inescapable onslaught is that of the sizzling kidneys:acute, somewhat rancid, ureaic. Seriously, it's that bad. Wavering, however, underneath that initial drastic note was something appealing. I waited. Approximately 14 minutes later, the reek had made its exit and a warm, steady stream of carnation and some musk lay on my arm. I don't exactly know where to lay the blame for the abysmal first act (the peach? but it's so animalic...), but if you can wait it out (or not leave the house) for around 14 minutes, you'll have something worth the price of admission. Perhaps here the wearer, not the juice, is the true catalyst. My only other complaint is that the guys' version gets the cool little test tube bottle and holder.

kiselina
kiselina

I like it, it brings reminiscence about my childhood, when my grandma was using a similar perfume. Makes me feel comfortable and safe. Luckily, i don't smell any vanilla in this perfume ;)

Catalyst by Halston 3.22 out of 5 based on 93 ratings and 36 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Halston Catalyst fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Halston Catalyst, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Catalyst by Halston. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Catalyst by Halston represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.