Designers » F-H » Chypre Floral « Groups

Halston Classic Halston for women

Halston Classic Halston for women
dislike

Halston Classic Halston for women Pictures Halston Classic Halston for women Pictures

Halston Classic by Halston is a Chypre Floral fragrance for women. Halston Classic was launched in 1975. Top notes are mint, melon, green leaves, peach and bergamot; middle notes are carnation, orris root, jasmine, marigold, ylang-ylang, cedar and rose; base notes are sandalwood, amber, patchouli, musk, oakmoss, vetiver and incense.

Mint Melon Green Leaves Peach Bergamot

Carnation Orris Root Jasmine Marigold Ylang-Ylang Cedar Rose

Sandalwood Amber Patchouli Musk Oakmoss Vetiver Incense

Halston Classic Fragrance Reviews

smellysmellerson
smellysmellerson

I got this at Winners for $19.99 plus tax. I'd never smelt it before, but I have this weird perfume intuition or as my friend calls it "perfume radar".

In a word. Sexy. In fact it's sexy, sexy, sexy. Halston is eyelet lace collars and full bottom white cotton panties being rrrrripped off to make way for undulating hips, and beads of sweat on oily skin.
Little bow peep coming of age and spritzing herself down with this as she sneaks out of the house after bed time to meet up with les boys. She doesn't want to smell like a little girl anymore.
Maybe it's the combination of cleanliness and steamy depths in Halston that evokes this bizarre image. It seems that a lot of women discovered this very grown up fragrance in their teens. I'm late to the game.

I can normally go on forever about notes, but I'm quite at a loss with this one. I've never had a perfume that is so dynamic in it's changes on my skin and the combination of oakmoss, marigold, and amber is unbelievably divine!

The only negative thing I can think of about this perfume is I can't just walk in to a store and expect to see it there.

KajiraSuzanne
KajiraSuzanne

Many years ago, when I was in high school, I tried Halston and rather liked it, although at the time I preferred more "Oriental" scents.
I found a couple of bottles of the cologne on clearance at CVS this week, and was prepared to be somewhat disappointed by a reformulation. However, Halston actually smells better to me than it did back then (perhaps my nose has matured!).
The oakmoss is quite prominent, although not as strong as Nuit de Noel, and there is a slight sweetness from the amber/sandalwood.There is an almost masculine feel to Halston, which I like. Men could certainly wear this fragrance.
I love the smokey woodsy notes, and the carnation is not enough to make me sneeze.
This is a very sensual and mature fragrance, and I would call it aggressive in a typical 1970's "liberated" way!
Sillage and longevity are amazing, even for the cologne version!

Poboijosh

I wrote a review a while back with high praises to Halston Classic, and I've literally fallen so hard for this juice that I searched high and low and came across a vintage 70ml Eau de Toilette flacon in a splash which was SEALED in the original box, if you can believe that, and my goodness, it smells as fresh as ever after some 30 odd years... I thought that that crappy reformulated version from Elizabeth Arden was good, this juice is absolutely stunning! First off, I've noticed a few differences in the vintage flacons, a few say made in the U.K., and the sticker on the bottom of the flacon of the one that I've just acquired says `Parfums Halston, Eau de Toilette, 70ml, 81% Vol., MADE IN FRANCE 75008 PARIS, and the batch number is 242B. Now, in what years was Halston produced in France, and what years in the U.K.? I'm dying to know! If anybody knows, please private message me and let me know, because I'm very curious to know how old this vintage juice `really ` is, and I cannot find anything on the internet. Now to the juice...

I seriously thought that I highly disliked Oakmoss until now. I cannot even begin to explain to you the amount of depth and richness that's in this vintage perfume, it's unbelievable! Mind you, I poured the juice into an atomizer, so it's even more intense. The Oakmoss is dark green and bitter, the Amber accord is quite strong, sweet and very balmy, I swear that I'm smelling real Sandalwood and Musk, the Marigold accord is so 3 dimensional that it's mindblowing, and the entire base of Sandalwood, Amber, Patchouli, Vetiver, Musk and Incense is all there. The floral heart is blended extremely well, and to the point where I'm having a hard time dissecting it, and the Melon and Peach are the only standouts in the top, but this ridiculously beautiful perfume is all about REAL Oakmoss and Tagetes, or Marigold and Amber as the dominating notes, with a heavy woody base that has Vetiver as the star woody note, and to be honest, this perfume is so stunning that I'm really at a loss for words. My only gripe is that I wished that gorgeous opening lasted longer and there was more of the floral nuances, because Halston Classic is VERY woody, but I'm guessing that this is due to being a toilette concentration, so the pure parfum is next which I'm hoping will be more floral and rich, then I can layer the two! There's really hardly anything Feminine smelling here, the sillage is very strong for the first hour but tames down nicely with longevity in the 8 hour range, and this is quite the dark composition that is extremely natural smelling. I'm ecstatic! If you really love Halston like I do, do yourself a solid and hunt down a vintage flacon. The amount of depth and facets as compared to that reformulation, well, literally it's night and day...

Edit: So I found out that the Eau de Toilette version that was produced in the U.K. is from the 1980`s and has a concentration of 82% alcohol, while the version from the 1970`s was produced in France and has a concentration of 81%... cool!

Edit #2: I've finally acquired a vintage 30ml flacon of the pure parfum that the seller who bought it stated that it was purchased by them in 1984, so this is most definitely the original juice, and here's the differences between this and the toilette... the overall structure is exactly the same, but the duration of the top, middle and basenotes is much, much longer, with a feeling of being much more rich, more depth, and a much further throw, surprisingly. The topnotes of Peach and Melon are brighter and more juicy, the floral heart is still impossible to decipher with the exception of some indoles floating around in the background from the Jasmine and Ylang-Ylang that kicks in about 3 hours after application, and which creates a slight olfactory illusion of smelling like red meat and somewhat animalic, while the basenotes are even longer lasting, but much less woody in texture, while I`ve also noticed that the Oakmoss is not as strong, but the Amber accord is unbelievably awesome smelling, where for a good 3 hours solid about 2 hours in, it's just yummy delicious sillage trails of what smells like true Amber, which brings me to this... I adore and love with a passion Tom Ford`s Amber Absolute, and I will tell you with confidence that where the far drydown of Amber Absolute ends up, this is where Halston Classic parfum projects for hours and hours. Utimately this composition is all about big smoldering Marigold and non-restricted REAL Oakmoss which the toilette is more heavy on versus the parfum that's just chock full of Amber and Marigold, but the entire composition ends on a smoky Incense and Amber base with Marigold and Oakmoss in the background with an even further away whisper of Vetiver and what I'm guessing is creamy, nutty and figgy Mysore Sandalwood, but mind you that I've poured this parfum into an atomizer, so it made this entire effect huge, I mean huge, no exaggerations. It's unbelievably striking olfactory wise, and there`s absolutely zero anything here that's been synthesized. I would say that the parfum is definitely more feminine smelling for the first few hours, but this concentration is 100% more beautiful, bigger, rounder, full bodied, and more enjoyable to wear because it really gives you exactly what the perfumer intended of the top, heart and base, and man, it's just plain intoxicating, and now I'm on the hunt for more vintage flacons of parfum, and let me tell you that this juice is the one, and only perfume that will actually last for 24 hours on your skin! Overall, I feel that the vintage parfum of Halston Classic is a stand alone perfume which is completely and utterly a different perfume entirely as compared to the toilette, and is just miles better, and I honestly believe what the reviewer below was getting at. It smells extremely natural, this combination of notes is just mindblowing, and frankly, I really don't think anything that's geared to todays standards, which I'm speaking particularly about niche perfumes here, comes even remotely close to this juice, because remember that there's no restrictions on the ingredients that are being used here, so you're genuinely receiving the `full enchilada `, which now officially has me jaded on the perfumes of today. My personal suggestion? Hunt down a flacon of some vintage parfum so you can truly experience this perfume in it's full glory, it's worth the coin, trust me, and also as a little side note, layering the toilette and parfum is ridiculously amazing, and even cooler, when you remove the glass stopper from the parfum flacon and take a deep sniff, it smells like über concentrated butterscotch schnapps liqueur...

Edit #3: Naturally, as curiosity killed the cat, I just `had` to get a vintage flacon of the cologne concentrate, and it's as equally beautiful as the toilette, if not smelling and behaving almost exactly the same with the exception of being a smidgen brighter, but still having a potent Amber accord while still being quite strong, and speaking of Amber... this Halston Classic has one of the most natural and amazing smelling Amber accords that I've ever experienced in my life, which is probably why I'm so madly in love with this juice, and I'm finding myself hoarding flacons now of the cologne and toilette, God I swear this is the most beautiful perfume I've ever smelled!

Anbreen
Anbreen

I don't know what happened to this, but it makes me sad. In the late '70s. I was a bellydancer in nightclub shows in California.

One club made us wear this. It INTOXICATED audiences. I wore it, after than, for years, with many positive comments.

Then, it suddenly seemed harsh and sharp. I tried a few times, but I never liked it, again.

rockegg
rockegg

I think this is absolutely splendid. It doesn't smell like a modern perfume. Good! This is for someone who doesn't want to smell like all the other girls. You're going to stand out from the crowd a bit in this. If you want to smell sweet, young, and girly wear one of the taffy or rose scents. The Halston woman is intriguing. She is memorable.

I just got a small bottle ("classic" - there is an update) on fragrancenet for cheap and I will be wearing this a lot. Oh, yeah.

waterbottleisland
waterbottleisland

Man, I really wanted to like this one since it's such a classic. And the bad part is I can't even tell what I don't like about it (too bitter? too "salty?"). Everyone that I asked said I smelled fine, but it's just not for me. Maybe I'll try again in a few years.

Lust87
Lust87

To @bonnie52: i'm sure the last bottle you've had was an alcohol free version of this fragrance. I had both, alcohol free and "normal" versions and indeed - there are differences between these two fragrances.
Alcohol free Halston is oily, doesn't last as long as the other version and sillage is clearly weaker.
The smell is also different - softer, weaker and not that complex. I'd say alcohol free version smells more like body oil or balm, it's more powdery, just like a reminiscence of "normal" version, which is deep, dark, dense green chypre with impressive sillage and longevity.

mildspicej17u55l
mildspicej17u55l

My mom has worn this for years. Love it! It could pass for unisex or a men's scent. I'd wear it but it says its for women so I'll pass.

bonnie52
bonnie52

I used to wear Halston in the 80's and 90's and loved it, however, the last bottle I bought had far less scent and was some oily concoction that ended up in the trash. I hate when they mess up a good thing!

Poboijosh

Somebody with a sneakingly clever nose at Clinique caught whiff of this juice in 1975 and clearly thought `Hey, we can do that, but better!` honest folks, and I don't really care how you slice it because the olfactory similarities between these 2 perfumes is just plainly and obviously stupid, because Halston by Halston is really Clinique's Aromatics Elixir, except Aromatics Elixir subtracted the Marigold accord and added a piano loaded to the keys with potted Patchouli plants crashing down from the sky onto your head, and interestingly enough, they both just happened to debut in 1975, hmmm (?)... granted, I find both equally intoxicating. Halston for it's brighter florals and soapy nuances, but of course more for Aromatics Elixir for that intense and absurdly brash Patchouli note followed closely by Geranium and Chamomile, and obviously better quality ingredients with a higher concentration of absolute oils.. Halston by Halston is quite beautiful, definitely unisex, and that ridiculously low pricepoint makes going `atomizer crazy` all the more fun, but I personally prefer my perfumes to have some cajonés and even more, in Eau de Parfum form, so I'll politely take my Aromatics Elixir to get my Patchouli fix any day of the week please...

Edit: I must say, I've really grown to love this perfume, and although I'm not a big fan of Oakmoss, it's blended here superbly and never gets funky in the drydown, only earthy, and that Marigold accord is simply phenomenal... I want so bad, and can only imagine how much better a vintage flacon is in an Eau de Toilette or Parfum form, and I think I just might love Halston a smidgen more than Aromatics Elixir, oh and by the way, for a Cologne concentrate, this perfume projects and lasts for a considerable amount of time, easily 8+ hours...

grayspoole
grayspoole

Coming of age in the late 1970's in NYC, I favored the Ramones over the Bee Gees. Since Halston and his perfume tend to be associated with Studio 54, disco, and excess, it was hard for me to listen to all of the Fragranticans who said Halston was a truly great chypre. But my love of chypres eventually overcame my fear of disco, and I am now delighted to be wearing Halston EDT, from a bottle labeled "Parfums Halston," "Made in France"--the original version? For me, the opening notes are mainly fresh bergamot with a definite touch of mint. Later, I perceive soft, tropical flowers (no peppery carnation or sharp marigold to my nose) with some fruity sweetness, set against a rich background of patchouli, moss, and sandalwood. No muskiness or scent of anything sweaty or furry on this dance floor. Halston is an elegant, green, luscious, woody, and aromatic chypre...and what a surprise!

boruvka44
boruvka44

The opening is pretty scary - strange combination of chypre with ripe sugar melon and soap.
But after about 15 minutes it starts to turn to warm dry wood and amber. Then it smells similar to Aromatics Elixir, less sharp and acidic. The natural kind of scents, that could be considered as unisex (AE (the same nose behind both, not a coincidence), Cabochard, Magie Noire...)
Halston smells like a hayloft, or an old wooden box full of dried herbs. I also get strong amber and incense.

FloridaMom
FloridaMom

Love it! Smelling it from the bottle I thought it was kinda boring, but once it dries down it gives you a beautiful, warm, glamorous scent.
Works great for me.

innovativemomma
innovativemomma

I love this fragrance. I never knew the original version but I am loving what is available to us now. I have a collection of fragrances but this is my favorite classic. I am tired of smelling like a candy shop so I often turn to this. Happily so because I recently discovered that it resembles Coach Rose D'Or. Since I have the alcohol free perfume I often layer it under the Rose D'Or and it compliments it well.

Debra1
Debra1

Finally a strong Oriental, Earthy Sent, that DIdn't Agree with Me! I read the reviews on it before I baught it, Id thought I would love it, but this sent is proff in point you can go over the top with Earthy Orientals, This sent had no softness no femininity no, no sweetness, and not much personality. It was like a mens colone, with out even being like the more romantic mens colone. It kind of reminds me of Clint Eastwood on a Bad Day too Macho, Come on Punk Make My Day, Well It Centianly Didn't Make My Day, My Husband saif his Aftershave Smells Better than that, for the 20 Dollars I wasted.

samsara82
samsara82

Dear Readers,

I love this perfume, its one of my new personal favorites, not my signature but a good companion to have around when im in the mood for its unique character and let me tell you why.

I was gifted this on my birthday recently and I was unsure since I never tried Halston's fragrances but my mom said that since we have similar tastes in perfume I would enjoy this and she was very right.

Its very aromatic ,assertive but sweet warmth ,and chic modern sexiness to it which I loved alot ! and reading the notes on this site I got to find out what it had in it and no wonder I could not really put my finger on it since it complex but fabulous.
On my chemistry the perfume gave a good aromatic warmth feel to it in the beginning but at least on me its very moody, other times it just aromatic when Im in a relax situation but other times when I go for a work out this perfume becomes something else with body heat ,on me it became a warm amber spicy rose which was very yummy made me feel like I was hot as like Jerry Hall, assertive like Gloria Steiner . cool like David Bowie and chic as Mr Halston , meow.

This perfume reminds of a modern chic female that has a confident savviness that's very "with it" and sharp that is very cool to know and be with , this isn't a fragrance for a woman with a princess complex or a insipid bimbo type, this reminds me like a assertive sexy female with charm and intelligence with approachable warmth , this isn't a ice queen perfume at all.
This makes a great gift for charming assertive special someone in your life for yourself if you enjoy aromatic sweet fragrances with a chic edge to them, its very versatile for office and social outings .

almostgreta
almostgreta

I got a body lotion of this as a gift in the late 80s and LOVED it. But I never asked for more, for some reason, and the frag fell out of my life. Recently I saw it in a drugstore and snapped it up. Still just as awesome as I remembered. I like the depth and complexity of it, the warmth of it. At the same time, the fresh green note is clearer to me now. Love it; an old favorite.

McDreamy
McDreamy

It's strong. It's sexy. It's soooo late 80s/early 90s to me (though invented in the 70s), but I still like it on the ladies.

As a young gentleman (ahem), this was the first perfume that I really noticed and loved on the ladies, but I didn't encounter it often.

A friend I had mentioned Halston for Women to brought an old bottle to tease me with recently. I borrowed it to spray a few doses in the laundry room downstairs. Holy heck... the whole house almost reeked of it for two days (not that I minded, much). I finally had to FeBreeze the laundry room and the AC filters (twice) to de-Halston my abode.

But it was nice while it lasted, if darn distracting.

It's inexpensive, too. I can't speak for any variant other than the original version, though, since I haven't known anyone who wore those.

Ladies, this one is worth a shot if you're tired of smelling like everyone else. But don't overdo it, or some poor male may hurt himself inhaling you.

gracenote-floralspice
gracenote-floralspice

Hi again Fragrance friends all over the world. I am not sure how this should now smell, I have a big bottle narrow at top wider at bottom and dark perfume in it. The smell on me starts sharp, then becomes powdery and warm and soft, at times it feels like a hint of Private Collection hides, but then it is replaced by a woodier note. At first I thought the sent fades, then it seems to rise again and again and it has that fantastic dry down. I am loving it! Will be careful with my bottle as who knows what they will do to it next?

SorceressOfTheDark
SorceressOfTheDark

My sweet, sweet Halston. How do I love thee. Let me count the ways. This is a perfume that knows sweetness, but not sugar, that understands bitterness without a sour bite, that encompasses what the woods has to offer-in all that Mother Nature can produce, with the warmth and sweetness of the summer leaves, the cool crispness of Autumn bark with its lichen and mosses, the reverence of cold, crisp Winters still, and the dank, decrepitness of Springs thawing leaves, left-over and rotted remnants from season't past and now warmed by yet another season. Halston is a gestation of cycles, of primal urges and tempered by societal banality and its' demands, and that's exactly what 1975 was all about, its inaugural year. The Primal Scream was uttered in metropolitan cities, bell bottoms scraped the floors with Frye boots and platforms danced the night away while shiny winged-back hair did the hustle. Those years were a paradox of times and so is this perfume. One side is dark, damp and disquieting with its mosses while its counterpart of sweetness brings one back to better moments. America had come out of the war, and spirits, altho still dealing with adversity needed to get away. America needed a diversion. Disco was born. Halston's powerful sweetness overlies all of the notes in this timeless (now) classic. Perfumes address what society is feeling, what they may want or what they may need., Halston did just that and did it very successfully. Today's available versions are two. One is called an "alcohol-free spray cologne", available in a spray version, same bottle with tree moss extract and oak moss extract. This Halston has an oily base that dries quickly and is excellent as a perfumed moisturizer. Longevity is shorter because of its composition. The bottle without or without the name, still produced within the last few months, also has the tree moss and oak moss extract is a natural spray cologne. (I'd suggest checking the batch number for the actual date produced.) Sillage is wonderful as is longevity. The depths of todays' version may not be as strong as one of yesteryear but they are still very good and smell absolutely wonderful. They are all just completely different animals and need to be appreciated as such. The oil is sweeter at first, the vintage is deeper, and the new formulation is lighter. They are still Halston. If you adore a strong vetiver mingled with sweet patchouli and the woods, this one's for you.
Vintage Halston begins deeper, not as sweet as the new version. You must wait for its wonderful drydown to appear. And when it does? You're in true heaven. Other reviewers aren't lying about people inhaling you. This is the one that makes others notice your perfume. It's a true magnet.

HoneyBoots1
HoneyBoots1

Wore it many years ago and always enjoyed it. Returned to it for awhile. Probably too old for it now.

Mirabele
Mirabele

Oh no, not for me. Very bad blind buy. Opening is harsh like there is no tomorrow. Smells sharp, bittery, outdated and makes me nauseous. After I scrub twice, the dry down is pretty nice with sandalwood and jasmine, i could almost like it. But i am not going to try it again because of the opening. i dislike the bottle as well because of the plastic top. what was i thinking?

I have both a bottle that looks like the one pictured above as well as a vintage splash bottle. I agree with HazelMae's description of the pictured bottle, which I assume is the latest formulation. The vintage is really well done and I think most vintage fans would consider it unisex, at least beyond the top notes. And while I understand the chypre idea, what I like is how the incense and sandalwood elements add a bit of contrast as well as balance. Of course, it smells natural and the dynamism is enjoyable for hours. I was able to find my 2.5 ounce vintage bottle for a good price on ebay, so grab them while you can, but I suggest finding one that is made by Halston and not any other company.

stormyla

Back around 1980 I used several bottles of the EDT of Halston. I was passionate about the fragrance until I noticed that after many hours it would start to smell sour on me. So I moved on to something else.

Recently I came across some very old bottles of Halston, two small bottles of the parfum and one small cologne spray. I'd never worn the parfum so decided to give it a go. I chose the tiniest bottle with a deep amber colored liquid. The neck of the bottle was so tiny that I shook out 5 or 6 tiny drops.

Holy smoking 80's, Mr. Halston came roaring to life and not only filled the room, but pretty much the entire house. The day was cool and a nice breeze was coming in all of the windows circulating the scent everywhere.

After two hours of no let up, I decided to scrub it off. An hour later it was still overpowering so I took a shower. An hour after that I was delightfully enveloped in one of the most beautiful dry downs that I have ever experienced. This is such a fresh sweetly green scent that is just simply endearing. No wonder I was once so passionate about it!

Since then, I've worn it 3 or 4 times, starting with one or two tiny drops. This fragrance sometimes intensifies in it's mid and end stages. I'm still using that itty bitty parfum bottle and it looks almost completely full even after 4 or 5 wears.

This bottle has a cream colored screw on cap. There are quite a few of the vintage parfum bottles for sale on Ebay rather inexpensively. So far there has been nothing sour in the scent, so maybe that is only relative to the EDT, or else maybe my chemistry has changed. Sillage???? You have to be the captain at the helm here as Mr. Halston is quite large and rather expansive. Longevity is a good 18 hours. I'm so happy to have this good smelling fellow back in my life!

mhubbard
mhubbard

I am looking forward to the fall for a chance to wear this classic fragrance. Woody, green, verging on unisex but not quite. Perfume was perfume back in the day. Much more interesting than today's perfumes that all seem to be about wearing dessert. Not Halston. This one is for women and not girls. The biggest caveat is in the application- even the reformulated new version is strong. Try one spray around the abdomen and this earth-mother scent will seem to exude from your inner being. Don't wear it every day, you don't want to get used to it. Perfect autumn- Saturday scent. Even better that it is so affordable and evokes the 70's, the first belt-tightening era since the depression. Enjoy.

driveraxvl44
driveraxvl44

Personally, I think women bought this perfume for two reasons, and not necessarily for the fragrance itself; one, the beautiful Elsa Peretti-designed bottle which originally housed the fragrance, and two, the tall, dark and handsome designer behind the fragrance. A man like Halston stepped straight out of the pages of a Harlequin romance novel, and it makes little wonder that women ran in droves to purchase this fragrance back during its release in 1975, thus sharing the top spot with the famed Chanel No. 5 for the length of its run. It certainly helps a perfume's sales if a designer has smoldering good looks that compliment his simple but sensual designs.

With that said, I was looking for a special gift to give to my mother, who lived the good life during the 1970's with my dad, going to the nightclubs and discothèques, many of them which Halston himself frequented (including the infamous Studio 54). My mother loved Halston's designs, but never owned the perfume itself. I originally had given her the spray, bought at Walgreens, but she hated the alcoholic stench that derived from the first spritz. I smelled it myself. It was obviously not the original 1970's fragrance. I wouldn’t even clean my floors with it. Having learned my lesson, I looked for the original perfume, in the original Elsa Peretti bottle. And, indeed, I wound up paying a hefty price for it on eBay, but it was all worth it. I bought two, the 1oz. and the tiny .125 oz.

There are subtle differences between the two. Both are nearly 40 years old, but the tiny .125 is the more "fresh", I guess you could say, of the two. It has that gold-light amber color, and the scent is sweet, yet light, but still has that 70's oriental floral scent. It suits the body-hugging cashmere, jersey dresses, and Ultrasuade shirtwaist that Halston was so famous for. A sensual, seductive fragrance that was good enough to get you noticed by day, and probably laid by night. Since it is a dated fragrance it is best to pair it with a body spray to kick the floral up a notch.

The 1oz. is older, and more concentrated. The liquid is darker, a deep copper-amber, and much stronger. It screams 1970's fragrance, and it's the sweet perfume amplified with a kick of heavy oriental strength. The scent reminds me of Henri Bendel's White Orchid candle (which I love), but much heavier. It's best to wear this one at night, and it's the bottle I gave to my mother. Since she loves heavy fragrances as such she loved the original Halston, and the beautiful 1oz Elsa Peretti glass bottle holds a special place on my mother's dresser.

I truly believe that all the other designer 70's scents released after Halston are all but copies of the original master. Halston was a genius when developing this fragrance, and the sales, not to mention the continual craving, attest to that genius. The only other designer whose nose matches the delicacy that Halston had for scents would have to be Tom Ford, whose perfumes hit the mark every time, and Black Orchid will probably be the go-to perfume when looking for a scent that is evocative of it’s specific time period. I kept the Halston .125oz, and, like my mother's perfume, it occupies a special place on my dresser at home. I wear it sparingly, since they do run on the expensive side being that they are discontinued, but I am excited in knowing that after the perfume is long gone I have a beautiful glass bottle to keep as a souvenir. Another stroke of genius from a man who knew instinctively what women wanted. 10/10.

icecube
icecube

I have the old formulation.
It is very, very green on me.
Moss, pine, sandalwood an vetier is just oozing out of this perfume.
You have to be a heavy chyprelover to like it.
To me this would be a great mens perfume.
Also a typical 70-ies perfume.

cyprusmum
cyprusmum

I was given a bottle of this in the late 80s. Very strong, only needed a tiny amount and it followed you around all day, even when you had enough of it. After a couple of days wearing it, I had enough.
Very strong and I put it at the back of my wardrobe very quickly.

Jomoves
Jomoves

Did you know that this is actually the 2nd highest selling perfume in the world with Chanel No5 taking out the top spot? I saw a great doco on Halston and was so moved by the vintage 70s footage that I immediately purchased a blind bottle of this. At first sniff, it smells a lot like the old Chloe, and then calms down to a sort of generic perfume-smell that takes me right back to blue eyeshadow, Avon samples and Agree Shampoo. It's nice, but badly dated.

If you want to see the doco that inspired me it's called Ultrasuede: In Search of Halston. Really worth a look. The original 70s fashion footage is swoon inducing!

drugstore classics

I have nothing original to add to previous, glowing comments about this somewhat dry, green chypre. Except that to me this timeless ~ and like most of my favorite "new" discoveries ~ Discontinued scent represents perfection!

It came as a disappointment to learn that this chic chypre does not last at all on my somewhat dry/cold skin type. But! I read a review that stated the alcohol free version was almost like an oil, with excellent longevity. They were SOooooo right! It's also a bit sweeter than it's alcohol based companion, but I don't mind in the right weather ( cold! ).

As an alcohol free formula, the opening is perhaps not as beautiful. And the texture does indeed remind me of liquid soap or hand sani! These things are of no importance to me, considering the STUNNING aroma that wafts up seconds later. And I might add, goes on and on and on........ all day.

For sillage and longevity, 5 stars
For fragrance and overall aura, 5 stars
For cost ( around $16 USD per 3.3oz ), 5 stars!!!!

angelag1970
angelag1970

Very 70s...I could never wear it. My stepmother BATHES in it daily and due to that it has just killed the scent for me. Wonder how I would have liked it had it been introduced to me in a more subtle manner

Terranova0
Terranova0

A bit too heady for me as a perfume, but I loved the bubble bath & lotion.

Saint-Patrik
Saint-Patrik

The year was 1983. I had just entered my teenage era. I was still a child but things where happening with me but they where just in the beginning of a very exiting time of my life. In one of the subjects I studied I had a young female teacher. She was strict, beautiful and fair. I did not fall in love with her but I did fall in love with the scent she always wore. It was just amazing. It was something I had never smelt before. It was wild and dangerous but at the same time incredibly seductive. It got your attention at once and I just sat there during all the classes and did her every bidding and all my homework without even arguing at all about the load of work I got. One day I was bold enough to ask her the name of the scent she had. It was Halston. That summer I slaved like h*ll and cut the grass at all our neighbors lawns and did a lot of other stuff so I could buy it to the woman that was most important for me right then, my mother.

I got nostalgic when I saw that it was still around and bought a bottle again to give my mother at mothersday this year. No the scent is (as quite a few of you have noticed) not the same any more. It is more tuned down and the wildness and the seduction is not there anymore. But it is ok. My mother is not as wild and young anymore but a grand old lady and the scent still smells nice. Soapy, woody and stays on the skin for some time and it fits my mother quite well and the most important thing; she was happy with it.

kitka
kitka

Great memories of this perfume back in the 80s. I received compliments on this every day that I wore it (EDT). Strangers would ask about it, everyone seemed mesmerized by it. I have not worn a fragrance since that received as much praise & attention as halston. I was sickened when it was discontinued. My all time number ONE compliment getter--nothing to date has come close and I suspect nothing will. It was one-of-a-kind.

jmbmars
jmbmars

Okay, what's the big deal about reformulations and parent companies? I just purchased Halston Classic from Ross for a mere $9.99 for 3.4 oz. and it's awesome. There's no writing on the bottle whatsoever; however, the box states that it's from EA Laboratories. I'm not familiar with the vintage version because I never gave it a chance. It's from the 70's and considered old school and there are millions of other fragrances to choose from. If the vintage from back in the day was better, so what. I'm more than pleased with the scent that I'm smelling for what I paid for it. Mix it with Halston Woman and it's phenomenal!

mysticgoose
mysticgoose

I remember it when I was in highschool and I wore it alot. It seemed strong then. I have a small perfume bottle and it seems much tamer now. Easier to wear now. It is also much less expensive than my favorites. I have several Creed and Guerlain favorites that are pricey. Its a scent I will wear more in the winter than summer. It is suprisingly warm with out being sharp. And it is probably not a "today" scent but I have a penchant for likely perfumes that are older than I am. This one isn't so it is a newer one for me.
I have not tried the current version.
Another fragrance I picked up again from reading the comments here. Thanks.

michelle.p.stpierre
michelle.p.stpierre

This is an old friend. I've worn lots of perfumes but this has been a tried and true scent for me. It's not my signature scent, but a tried and true favorite none-the-less. I didn't experience any problems with formula changes as some of the other reviewers experienced. For this, I'm glad. It would be a sad day for me if it did. Oakmoss is being limited in perfume production because it's considered an allergen, hence the formula change. Luckily for me, I still get the same woods, musk, and earthy aromas (from the oakmoss) that I remember. Oakmoss is an important ingredient in this perfume. I understand that Guerlain's perfumer, Thierry Wasser, has found a way through science to use (cultivate?) oakmoss that doesn't have the specific molecule which is not allowed by regulations. With this, Guerlain has been able been able to preserve the scent of their original formulations of their perfumes. I certainly hope that Mr Wasser will share this discovery. Recently, there has been talk of a complete "ban" all together of oakmoss in perfume products. If that happens, production will stop on perfumes like this one, and another favorite of mine, Chanel No. 5, unless cultivation of oakmoss, without that specific molecule that is against regulations, can be achieved. Let's pray something can be worked out. I don't want to lose this one.

carlayorke
carlayorke

I liked this one very much in the eighties. The scent is different now, as others have noted. I found an old bottle on sale, but it might have 'turned'.
I feel nostalgic about this fragrance.
But I always thought the bottle was obscene! I'm an introvert, and always felt as though I should hide it in a (dark, cool) cupboard.
I miss you, dear Halston.

4scents
4scents

A captivating very strong intense and sexy jasmine coupled with ylang ylang less the rose flower scent shining through on me. Never qustioning definite shades of green peaking on my skin A musky incense telliing smell. Halston has tons of amber and different bellowing woody scents, carnation flowers pop along with patchouli.. ..very sensual and unique all time Classic. I am thinking of trying this out once again to see if it works with my body chemistry after a very long time letting it go. Thanks for all of your helpful reviews!!!

Dilek1
Dilek1

I also used Halston in the 80's and loved it. I recently bought a vintage Halston and unfortunately it was too old and did not smell at all like the Halston I remembered. i bought another bottle this one has Halston written on the bottle.and the scent is very similar to the original halston. Does anyone know which reformulation is the bottle with halston written on it. If I remember right the original halston bottle did not have any name on it

brian.cloutier1
brian.cloutier1

Only the Original Vintage formula, Perfume Even if you can find!!, The new Crap is beyond Terrrible!!!, Dead, Weak, Flat, Fabric Softener at Best, Only will I ever wear the 70's Classic a true Fall/Winter Staple for a Classic Warm Wardrobe.....

lilinah

I was buying perfume from a website and needed to spend just a tad more to get free shipping. So i added unboxed (so discounted) Halston Classic to my order.

I had the original back in the 70s and loved its modern and intense fragrance. Even then Halston liked to allow some chemical or metallic scents into his perfumes, which gave them an edge so many others lacked. My bottle is old now and pretty much used up. So i was pleased to think i would have it again.

When it arrived i gave my wrist a little spritz. Sadly i forgot what calyx93 had written here. Ugh! It was sickening. Not the rich deep intense fragrance it used to be, but something that smelled sharp, and sour, and cheaply unsophisticatedly chemical. Now i have to see if this mess was the EA version, which i strongly suspect.

I mourn the loss of the true Halston perfume.

dezaval
dezaval

70s elegance...A perfume that comes straight from NY, Studio 52. I really appreciate it. A combination of wood and green notes, bold amber, vetiver and sandalwood (both so 70s!)meets the mystic incense and the sensual musk. Earthy and warm. American modern and chic. Wear it in autumn or winter in a big city (mostly urban-like fragrance) and feel like walking in a green forest a rainy day.

drummagick
drummagick

I fell in love with Halston in the bottle the year it was released and bought one without trying it on my skin. I didn't know it then because all the info such as Fragrantica gives wasn't available then, but I realize now I have always been immediately drawn to chypres. So I buy a bottle of Halston and put some on and it smells wonderful. For about 15 minutes. I keep trying and trying for about a year off and on and it keeps smelling awful on me. I got a small bottle of vintage a while back and tried again, thinking 30+ years might have changed my chemistry. Well, it didn't. It still smells awful on me and after trying again this morning and reading the notes, I realized it's the mint that doesn't work for me. Or possibly the mint together with the cedar and vetiver. The first 15 minutes is wonderful though!

tamstar
tamstar

a classic fave! need to purchase again

Morris921
Morris921

I LOVED this scent! It was the first perfume I bought and wore it frequently. I had nearly forgotten about it until seeing again here! Now, I have to go find it again!

PLUMPIE
PLUMPIE

On me this is Estee Lauder Private Collection but just a slightly less rose and more hippy patchouli scent. Can be quite overpowering by today's standards but in the right dosage is an exquisite scent clean mossy but just feminine and warm enough to hug you in it's scent. Very classy on the right chemistry

This is my second review for Halston. This review is for the current version, My first review was for a pure perfume concentration from the 90's. Comparing the two, I can say that they definitely smell similar, but my current EDP is like a lightened up version. Today's version is certainly recognizable as Halston, without a doubt, but there seems to be less heaviness. It is still woody and earthy, with oakmoss taking centre stage, but where my 90's fume took a certain amount of daring to wear, today's version seems tamer, and much more wearable. I just have to be in the mood for a no-flowers, woody, chypre scent to wear this. It doesn't announce your entrance like the previous stuff did, its just not potent enough, and it fades more quickly. I prefer the drydown of the older version better. It was more earthy and mossy and smelled more well blended at the base than today's formulation. But overall, I am happy with my new version because it is still Halston in tamer, more wearable form.

Update: I was just reading some other reviews of Halston and I have to add that I agree with paulie86; I also detect that almost dirty animalic quality at the base. I am convinced there must be civet in here, even though it isn't listed. And I am still talking about the current version.

drugstore classics

Luckily for me, a friend had the scented lotion out for our use in her guest bathroom. It was certainly an experience! I can't say that it works at all with my chemistry, but at a certain level I really admire the solid, unisex nature of this classic. The almost creamy patchouli spice appeals to me, but not so much to my skin! If this was a trifle less green and earthy, I might try mixing it with an amber and powder scent like Emeraude, and as it is I'll be certain to try it again if my chemistry changes someday. It is definately more enjoyable to an oriental and floriental lover than some 70's standards -- such as the popular Jovan musk for women or the petrifyingly harsh Jovan Woman. And yet I am happy I could try all of these, as each one is unique to it's era. You never can tell when your chemistry will ignite a love affair with a " predictable " drugstore standard. Serendipity waits in a bottle at the perfume counter!!

Update ~ I'm continually learning and expanding my tastes about fragrance, but it DOES surprise me how much I now ADORE Halston. My nose - not my chemistry - is to blame for this happy reversal! See my new review far above. :)

Is it really possible that I now love to distraction the "harsh" fragrances I recently admired from afar? But so it is.... I now have White Linen on my want list, posses TWO full bottles of Jovan Woman, and own a jumbo bottle of Halston. So as I eat humble pie, let me assure you that it tastes absolutely MARVELOUS!

Update - Aha! I have now tried that same guest bathroom lotion again, and I'm not surprised to learn that it smells old. So my initial impression of Halston from the lotion could not help but be a little "off". What a great surprise the real thing has proved!!!!!

AngieGCarp
AngieGCarp

Found an older version 1 oz at the drugstore today. I had forgotten how much I love Halston. I decided to try to snatch up some older versions still on the market but I AM interested in smelling the new version....older isn't always better. For instance, Ralph Lauren has reworked Polo and it is lighter and more wearable, a guy doesn't have to worry about offending anyone. I am sure there are other examples. Anyway, I LOVE HALSTON!

Happy Perfuming! ♥

paulie86
paulie86

I am head over heels for this perfume lol I first tried this last winter when my significant others best friend bought it for his brother's girlfriend when we we're doing some last minute Christmas shopping. My s.o and his best friend both wore the men's Halston that comes in the over sized round Elsa Peretti bottle with the glass stopper. I always laugh at it when i'm in his bathroom because it looks like a huge vase lol. He would tell me stories about when he would frequent studio back in the day that the scent was all the rage for men in the disco era. We snuck a spray of the women's version and all I could smell was bitterness not really enjoyable to me at all lol.

I always see Halston for women at Tj Maxx or Marshalls for 9.99 or gift sets for 16 dollars but always passed on it because I would always pick something else or i'd tell my self to just get it next time. I ended up geting it yesterday and now i'm completely in love. It starts off as a fresh bitter green floral and dries down to a honey sweet floral with something slightly dirty and animalic underneath the surface. When I press my wrist to my nose I can detect hints of civet as well as a light musk it's mossy from the beginning all the way through out the dry down which makes this fragrance even more delicious. Halston is definitely a sensual sexy scent it smells like sex to me. The bottle is gorgeous in a slightly naughty way a classy overtly sexual bottle reminiscent of a woman's curves that holds a beautiful sensual elixir. I have the one that doesn't have the signature on the bottle and the ones i've seen in the past as well as the one I first tried didn't have it either. So hopefully it's one of the better bottles lol.

When I saw one of my dearest friends yesterday we leaned in for a hug and she pulled me closer with her nose buried into my neck she asked me excitedly if I was wearing Halston I confirmed her question and she told me it brought back memories of her studio 54 days. She was a hair stylist in the 70's and I would always reminisce with her wishing I grew up back then and she would always tell me it was some of the best times of her life. One time she told me the essentials of getting ready for a night out at studio which included shopping in the afternoon with her gay best friend for a new outfit, popping some quaaludes and dousing yourself with either Opium, Cinnabar, Halston or Shalimar. Do your hair and makeup throw on your highest heels and run out the door to dance the night away. Sounds like the best of times lol

Scarlette
Scarlette

Whoever said it now smells exactly like Irish Spring is right. Wow.

I loved the vintage, so I bought a new Halston online...and there is no cedar left in it, and it smells soapy now, as it never did. It was SO good in the late 80's....I had a Wool Esprit sweater I bought for $140 in 1988 ($$$$), and I sprayed Halston on this sweater to go watch the Olympic Winter Games Closing ceremonies, and could smell it for weeks after on that sweater! So many great memories....it is NOT the same. BOO-HOO!

I will reach for Private Collection instead when I want a not-too-sweet-oakmoss-green masterpiece, or Safari would be another great one to try instead if you loved the Classic.

mi-jo.sayegh
mi-jo.sayegh

I have the white bottle with the signature , the one everyone hates. I think that when you have never smelled pre reformulations of a perfume you are perhaps more open to liking the reformulation ! The one I have smells nothing like how people describe the old one (which sounds amazing) but I like this scent, it does smell like Irish Spring as someone else said, it smells green and soapy, nothing more and nothing less and I like it for that reason, its clean and I layer it with the oil free version, this one can be worn in summer , imo, (I assume the older one was stronger and deeper) or winter.

pfcs
pfcs

I went through quite a few bottles of this in the seventies and eighties. I smell and love mostly the base notes of this.

steph71889
steph71889

I remember finding a bottle of Halston in my moms room as a kid, and I absolutely loved it, and I still do. This is my go to fragrance and has been since I was 16. A friend of mine sprayed it on herself and it smelled absolutely horrible, but lucky for me it smells amazing. On my skin it picks up the base notes and the peach and melon top notes. This perfume is not for everyone because it is such a deep scent. Though I have never had any complaints while wearing, on some people its just blah. I love this scent and I always will! =D

OlfactoryOverload
OlfactoryOverload

On my skin I (thank God), don't get many green notes. On my skin Halston is deep oakmoss, cedar, just the slightest hint of green and orris roots.

I used to own this perfume and the matching bath powder. When layering them both I thought this scent was just so relaxing. The Halston bath powder (not the bath talc- the talc hardly has any scent) was very rich and indulgent and the scent was idential to the perfume.

For some reason this scent acted as a relaxing agent for me. It just made me feel comfortable and cozy. Like being in front of a warm fire on a cold day, freshly bathed and in a comfy, thick bathrobe, drinking a cup of black tea with candles lit.

I miss this fragrance and I'd like to get it and the bath powder again.

stormyla

This fragrance worked for me back in the early 80's for a few years. Then either it or I changed and it started to smell rancid after a few hours of wear.

cleo cupcake
cleo cupcake

I smell no mint and that's fine because I hate it - I never want to smell like toothpaste or mouthwash.
If I want to smell earthy, spicy, sophisticated and tigerish then this is the perfume I need. It is an icon of the disco era and it wears it's shoulder pads and glitter with style. The opening is very animalic and might be daunting for some but give it a little time and the drydown is gorgeous. A rich, seductive chypre with fantastic oakmoss and musk that lasts for ever. Seek out the vintage stuff and enjoy because they really do not make them like this any more.

phia143
phia143

Im more of a floral kind of girl myself so this fragrance is not for me. It is very earthy but at least i gave it a try! I agree w/jenthescentjunkie "There is nothing dainty or soft about this fragrance". It is really strong but on the bright side the scent would last all day!

nananessa
nananessa

This was my signature scent in the 70s & 80s. I haven't worn it in a while but I loved Halston's style, even in fashions. This is a very potent fragrance, not for the timid! It is an attention getter, blends so well with my chemistry into a sophisticated blend. If the florals weren't as pronounced as they are, it would smell almost like a men's fragrance on me. I like it casual, sporty, outdoors occasions or lounging in a tee or flannel shirt. It appeals to the tomboy in me!!!

12/2/12 Update: My earlier comments were written based on my memories of the original EDP version. A few months ago I picked up a bottle at TJ Maxx for a pittance & didn't realize it was EA's cologne reformulation. This bottle has no white Halston name written on the bottom either.
It was initially such a disappointment in comparison to the outstanding signature that it was for me years ago. I wouldn't doubt Halston is turning over in his grave!
This EA cologne version is a sad, much watered-down version of the original. It does have a strong treemoss presence in it & now I am wondering if the original oakmoss is being regulated here like it is in Europe. I dearly love fragrances with oakmoss, patchouli, woodsy & green notes, animalic notes. And vetiver. So this EA version is something I do love, but there will always be a touch of sadness for me when I pick up this bottle to spray some on. I so remember the MAGIC, DIVINE MAGIC THAT TOOK PLACE WITH THE ORIGINAL!!! No wonder Wikipedia says it was the 2nd largest seller of all time & I can believe it! The original was almost like an aphrodisical, spellbinding-alchemic charm with it's somewhat animalic brazenness. I loved the original so very much, went through probably 3 or 4 bottles of it before I followed my Gemini-changeling nature that loves variety & moved on to Chloe for a while. Chloe & Halston bottles adorned my dressing table with pride as I savored my beloved oakmoss in both.
Yes, Halston succeeded in a fabulously sexy, androgenous scent that epitomized many young women like myself then, in my 30s, really beginning to enter into a phase of independence & (frankly), rebellion. His fragrance drove men mad when combined on feminine flesh.
His clothing designs for women were genius takes on men's structured, tailored lines & turned them into something classic, timeless, elegant yet ever sexy in it's allure & forthrightness to use the soft & feminine fabrics that he somehow combined with lean lines that truly accented a woman's contours. His original fragrance was also like that---and I can imagine old Hollywood greats such as Katherine Hepburn, Marlene Deitrich & Greta Garbo would have loved it with their bent to menswear designs. But this new version has become a hybrid with only a few notes that evoke the original CHARACTER of it's parent.
Still, I will put up with the extreme oiliness of this EA cologne for the nostaglia & if I purchase it again, it will definitely have to be the original EDP. It is as if Elizabeth Arden wanted to make it acceptable for church by removing the total sensuality/sexuality/animalic quality of it! And what I would call a "Yang" fragrance now has a "Yin" quality.

Rumor has it that Halston has been reformulated more than once. My bottle is a pure perfume (!) from the late 1990's. It's not made by Elizabeth Arden so it must be one of the reformulated versions but not the most recent one.

This fragrance screams 70's to me, and that's not a bad thing. This is a very woody green chypre with a huge blast of oakmoss that lasts from beginning to end. This might be the most heavily oakmoss-infused fragrance I have ever smelled. It might just be the perfume concentration I have, but this is strong stuff. At first sniff, it can be a bit overwhelming. As it dries down, the oakmoss subsides just enough to let some of the other notes through, but always remains. The carnation comes out next, and there is a suggestion of some very faint florals being present. I can't distinguish any of the floral notes, rather, they give an impression that there is more beneath the surface, while never being obvious. Finally, there is a hint of musk. Oakmass is the heavy hitter here throughout. There is nothing dainty or soft about this fragrance. This stuff announces your presence, in a big way.

jenthescentjunkie
jenthescentjunkie

I bought this blind because it is iconic, and cheap on legitimate websites. I must have gotten some reformulated version of this fragrance, because on first spray, and for a few hours, the top note was marijuana smoke. I know that sounds crazy, but it's true. I bought it from drugstore.com, and although I was younger, I remember the iconic bottle and wanted to own some since I'm a a fragrance junkie. That being said, its longevity is record book, and the pot smell does die down after two hours. The dry down is nice; it's like Obsession's not-quite-as-sexy-but-original older sister. I'm a newbie for judging scents, but it's that deep, "oriental" fragrance. In your face, though, so be prepared!

calyx93

To those concerned about the alcohol-free version. Simply avoid it - it really is nothing like the original - not to mention it bears no resemblance to the awful reformulated EDT. Go for the vintage and avoid the discounters - good, authentic, original versions are so easily available via eBay that it should be a crime to buy the EA travesties.

Really, the EA versions, both with or without alcohol are NOT like the originals. Some EA reformulations are okay, but this one is really unforgivable.

Enough said. Sorry karlovonamesti, but you really need to try a vintage original to compare.

teena724
teena724

I just don't get it. For a man or woman .. Not my cup of tea. This smells exactly like washing with Irish Spring Soap in a plain white bathroom while burning some stinky incense.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

I often purchase my fragrances at a local Marshalls, which here in the U.S. is a higher-quality discount store. You can get anything from Dolce & Gabbana to Calvin Klein there. The one by me is staffed entirely by women in their low twenties, and it isn't unusual for me to find them restocking the fragrance shelves. What's funny is that they can't seem to figure out where Halston Classic belongs - they have boxes in the men's and women's sections. Looking at the box, it's not hard to see why. That blank beige with the word "cologne" printed on it suggests it could be for men, but then if you take a peek inside at that oddly feminine bottle, the contradiction is revealed. And if you sample the wares, you'll likely end up even more confused, as the fragrance opens with a light, peachy greenness that rapidly darkens with oakmoss, patchouli, and woods.* Feminine intro - masculine drydown. Ladies don't wear chypres much anymore, and that sucks in a way, but I think it works to my advantage. Halston is green enough to be unisex, and my wearing it makes my fragrance choice seem new and original. Besides, it just smells good. My only gripe: this "alcohol-free" formula uses an unsavory oil solvent that takes forever to evaporate and stains clothing. I have to rub it into my skin, but I can live with that.

* This review is for the version of Halston that came just before the version with the name printed in white on the bottle. It does not reflect the contents of that white printed version.

HazelMae

I'm posting another review since I've had a change to sample different iterations of this.

The basic idea of this perfume is a peach fruit nectar, florals, herbs, a tiny hint of mint, all over a chypre structure. All of the versions I have tested have this basic idea intact.

Vintage: Box says "Halston Fragrances" and mainly coloring agents are listed in the ingredients. This is the perfume I remember from the 70's/80's. I think the top notes are a little off, but the oakmoss chypre base is stronger, smoother and better. The nectar element also seems richer here. I can even detect, faintly, something unidentifiably animalic. The drydown lasts longer. The overall composition seems more blended.

Recent but not latest: Box says "EA Fragrances", oakmoss or tree moss are listed in the ingredients. The bottle has no signature. This is old stock and can still be found in many drugstores and discount stores. There is a watery element to the nectar note. The depth of the oak base is not as strong but it is there. It takes a short while for everything to come together. But this is recognizably the same fragrance and gives me that incredible memory blast when I smell it. It is not as great as the vintage but still a fine perfume that feels enough like the original. It gives me a lot of pleasure to smell and wear.

Latest version: has white "Halston" signature printed on bottle. At first spray, this bears no relationship whatsoever to Halston that I can see, it's sort of a generic, cheap floral. Then in a couple of hours, it sort of coalesces into something that is at least recognizable as attempting to smell like Halston, but it's like looking at a scene through a snowglobe. It's safe to say this perfume is dead now.

Your mileage and taste may vary.

fihe
fihe

this stuff reminds me of my mom, because she's worn it on special occasions since I was very little (I'm 22). lately I've been interested in chypre fragrances, so I thought I'd try some of my mom's old Halston. not sure if her bottle is the vintage or reformulated kind, because she's had it for a pretty long time. unfortunately, it's very strong and nasty on me, and I'm not even one to stick with "girly" fragrances targeted towards young women in their early 20s. although Halston does calm down a little after the first 20-30 minutes, the smell doesn't seem to change much on me; it stays strong and offensive. I guess I'd better stick with my Salvatore Ferragamo...

Lushylori
Lushylori

It was a gift and at first I didnt really like it but once it was on my skin for awhile I really grew to appreciate the smell.
Definitely a classic and classy scent :)
I only liked to wear this one at night time.
Not a day time perfume in my opinion.

jaimex1979
jaimex1979

Ah!!! The 70's!!!! I just got a vintage bottle for 20 bucks (and there are 4 still waiting for someone). To me this is all about being out there (just like me LOL)

vickiraven
vickiraven

I absoluitely loved this perfume in its day and theres hundreds of bottles for sale on Ebay but not the original smell. does anyone know a perfume that smells the same or very similar to the original, gorgeousness that was Halston?????

Abyss1001
Abyss1001

Well...it didn't smell bad in the bottle...but the dry down made me feel sick to my stomach...do not like this one. However, in the description, it mentions peach, which I love...but I cannot detect it here whatsoever...

jtd
jtd

I guess the chypre genre is not only broad but forgiving. This fragrance’s calibration is a bit off, and its structure focuses on blend and harmony rather than highlighting the distinctive elements that make a chypre wear so well. Halston reads as a bit blurred. But if you’re not looking for a challenge, it is also a nice simple grassy chypre. If you like it but aren’t sold, try the men’s chypres Z-14 or 1-12.

calyx93

Picked up a bottle of this a few years back from a discount store - only to later find out it was the "alcohol free" version. Really oily and slick and smelled nothing like the original. I thought it might have been an alternative version that never sold well, so I gave it to a charity shop. A year later, at the same store I bought the first one from, I found the good old original - or so I thought. After reading the dreaded "EA Perfumes" printed on the box (a.k.a. - Elizabeth Arden - a.k.a. cheaply reformulated colored water) - I knew there might be a problem.

Oh, poor Halston - he must be turning over in his grave over this travesty. This stuff has none of what made the original so cool and unique. What used to be a high quality chypre is now a screechy chemical mess that smells of violets and thin woods rather than original's bergamot, amber and oakmoss (+ all the wonderful other notes that made it so original). It's pleasant enough, if one had never experienced the original formulation, but now mine gets used in the bathroom as an air freshener - and one that hardly ever gets used. Blech!

However, I now have a sealed, original bottle - from the 70's - making its way to me thanks to eBay. Thank goodness enough of it was made - so there's no excuse in not owning the real version if you want to relive it in all its "disco" glory :)

Sassy1
Sassy1

Aw Halston...my 1st real "grown up" perfume...

I received a large bottle as a christmas gift in 1983 or so and I remember thinking wow, this stuff is bold...strong, deep and way different than anything I'd worn before.

And it was! An in-your-face-I-am-woman-hear-me-roar kind of thing if ever there was one.

I remember wearing it to work and feeling empowered and ready to take on any challenge. I don't recall the "smelling like sex" part but maybe I was too busy being in charge to notice the "lowly male species".

The re-form has none of the shameless bravado and is a disheveled has-been empty echo of it's old self.

So sad...I could've ruled the world!

galex
galex

I had this wonderful scent in 1979. After reformulation it smells unpleasant and artificial.

krmarich
krmarich

This was the disco era chypre! More, More, More, how do ya like it? I loved it! Oakmoss dominated rose and ylang ylang in volumes. My grade school art teacher used it and my class bought her a bottle at the end of the school year. She was a 1970s riot with large round glasses and feathered hair and a bubbly personality to match. That described up Halston wearers for me.

Yes, the bottle was provocative, yet it cannot be forgotten. Its current formula has been given an oakmoss lobotomy, rendering it worthless rose water. Ah, how times have changed-in this case for the worse...

Celebrity=Donna Summer

olga1780
olga1780

I had been put off by the extremely ugly bottle for a long time, but I finally got a chance to have a sniff at Marshalls. All I can say is it is not by any means nasty or loud, but nothing outstanding either if you compare it to other classics of the same type. Just not enough personality in this fragrance, more of a comforting, warm scent. No matter how cheap it is, my advice is pay a little exra and go with Diva or First instead.

miahreis
miahreis

I was with a friend at Sears and smelled this. As soon as my friend smelled this, she made a horrible face and said, "Ew, that smells like hot sweaty nasty sex!" Need I say more...?

kms2167
kms2167

This was the first perfume I ever wore, I remember when I was thirteen my mother bought it for me as a Christmas present and I discovered it in the closet weeks before Christmas came, and I took a secret whiff. It was the most sophisticated and sexy thing I'd ever experienced. Totally tonboy, which fit my personality. I wore it every day until it was gone and since I was a kid, had no money to replace it, I haven't worn it since. But all of the comments make me remember it, and I will surely be purchasing another bottle post-haste...

pablOSO
pablOSO

HAZEL MAE

the one you have to avoid is the one WITHOUT the signature , the new one made by Elizabeth Arden , i bought one last weekend and i was soooo disapointed.. it almost felt like they took the original , diluted it with water , and pack it again..zero longevity , smells like violets only , to flowery , no basenotes whatsoever..... they did the same to LAGERFELD classic..now is just a joke..avoid avoid!!!

bibitry
bibitry

I found my old bottle of original Halston today, in the far back of a drawer!! Wow - this is just fantastic :D
I was sure it was given away or used up, but it is half full and in good condition. My hard core interest in perfume is quite new, so I guess I kept the bottle because of the design.
Happy!!

Kterhark
Kterhark

(vintage parfum review)
I've tried this before, but in the modern EDP or EDT. Now that I"m trying the vintage parfum I'm quite sure tihs is a completely different scent, because I am just speechless.

Wow. This is pure perfection. A dark green, raspy chypre that has little competition. This is just stunning, I can't say much more than that. I wasn't expecting to like this and let it sit in my box for a month before sampling.

But oh my, what a gem. I did get carnation, and this is the note that I detect the strongest. The vetiver and basenotes are blended beautifully, I just can't imagine wearing this without a standing ovation from all who pass in your wake.

A hands down classic.

HazelMae

I love this fragrance, and I actually think the reformulation is fine, though admittedly I haven't smelled the original since around 1987. I have newer bottles without the "Halston" signature in white at the bottom, which I have read are to be avoided. But at 10-20 dollars a pop, I may just try one of the dreaded white signature bottles as well to see what I think. Non-signature bottles are readily available in drugstores and places like Marshall's. Such a deal! I have stocked up, since heaven only knows what they will do to it next.

The fragrance is as others have described, oakmoss chypre layered with floral notes, peach, melon and finished with a subtle halo of mint. It is complex and has great longevity. I just love fragrances where one spray lasts all day. It's funny to think that this was such a hugely popular fragrance in the late 70's, it is pretty out of style today. But you'll be the only one wearing it and it's much more sophisticated and sensual than today's candy flower scents. It also might be one of those things that people keep in their collection just to take a sniff and be transported back in time a couple of decades.

ETA: there are several iterations of this fragrance. All of my backup bottles are without the white signature, but the ingredients lists differ slightly. There is one with tree moss, the others have oak moss listed. Since this fragrance usually comes without a shrink wrap, my advice would be to ask the sales associate to test before purchasing.

Carnation
Carnation

When I first smelled this back in 1981, I was a teen and didn't much care for the patchouli heaviness in the drydown. My Aunt was a big patchouli fan and this was her favorite scent back then. Now I have a renewed appreciation for the Halston that used to be, for the modern version is a sad example. The current Halston is almost medicinal in it's smell. Please, if you want that wonderful way Halston should have stayed, get a vintage.

its freezing today. i picked out my halston to wear. haven't worn it in awhile. it goes on strong, harsh and chemical. stays that way for about 20 mins. then it dries down to a calm, warm, dry, amber powder. yes, i like it.

havanadaydream
havanadaydream

It was a stunner way back in the day , for sure. Men loved it , it is definitely a sexy fume. I just might get me a little sample and head down memory lane.

geegee
geegee

Woodsy, musky & down right filthy. One of the most animalistic fragrances that i have. It isnt for the meek & mild or to wear on a day when you want to be a wallflower...but to wear to be noticed.

The first spray will knock you out...then that dry down. Oh boy is this one sexy juice.

Patchouli & vetiver are extremely distinct, as is the incense but a sweetness does come through if you inhale deeply.

When i wear this my man usually asks what im wearing today & says he isnt sure if he likes it...then he nuzzles in more & inhales deeper but still says he isnt sure if he likes it. But...he cannot leave me alone when i wear this, he constantly nuzzles in & it does bring out his 'male' side a whole lot more.

So he doesnt seem to like it in his immediate conscience but his subconscience loves it.

This is what i lovingly call a true old school fragrance with balls.

MsMaryO
MsMaryO

Yes, I wore Halston back in the day, about 1980-1986'ish. Drinking all night, dancing until dawn, and doing "it" till 7pm the next day. This was a strong, strong scent for a hard-partying girl.

I had a mental block about this scent for a while here. I could remember what I wore in the 70s as a high school girl, and what I wore in the late 80's when I got married and had my first child, but for the life of me I could not remember what I wore during those partying years...not sure why.

I remember now it was woodsy, musky and strong, strong enough for a strong girl. I'd love to get my hands on a bottle of the old juice as I'm sure it's been a bit reformulated now.

Oh, and I hated Charlie so this has no resemblance to that scent. My best girlfriend was a Charlie girl and I really could not stand that scent.

arg1971
arg1971

This was a fav of my Aunts I liked it but thought that It smelled a little too mature for me. I found out later my mother liked it so I gave my bottle to her she greatly appreciated it

Scent-a-holic
Scent-a-holic

This fragrance evokes alot of memories for me. When I was a pre teen my mom had a bottle of this and me being a tomboy at the time I loved the adventerous spirit of this classic. Halston is for the woman who steps out into the world as is with strength and beauty. The smell of dry leaves and earthy warmth of this fragrance makes me feel beautiful. but most of all is the sweet note of femininity that just is there I can't place it, maybe musk or jasmine? It is definately a rainy day, any day favorite for me.

guest_guest 1967
guest_guest 1967

dieser duft ist ein absolutes "Superparfum",schwer,sinnlich,dominant,
mit sehr überraschendem effekt, den untergründigen grünnoten, die an fichtennadeln erinnern, so habe ich ihn schon damals als meine schulfreundin ihn trug noch in erinnerung das war 1983.

millan
millan

Halston on me is very earthy and natural. It is a fragrance that I use as an every day scent or to go out at night or to sleed . It connets me with Mother Nature. It is not chemical but woody ,earthy green. I use as a comfort sent and before I go to bed , when Im in the mood. I use it and feel as if nature is saying I love You. I know this is not for everyone But I love it!!!

Tala
Tala

I do like this one a lot. With any perfume, I am always waiting for the dry down stage where all the woody notes are, to kick in. Might as well wear something that is earthy and woody from beginning to the end. I know where Sarah Jessica Parker got the idea for "Lovely!! The shape of the bottle the dryness of the perfume very similar. Halston I find is much better because it is not that common any more, every body smells like "Lovely" these days. I hate to smell like every one else. Second plus for Halston is that it does not have a sharp sour note.

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

I saw an unboxed bottle on a shelf in TJ Maxx, so I snuck a spray of this onto the back of my hand. I truly expected something sharp and horrendous, but it was so soft and herbal. I sniffed the back of my hand for about two hours, and what started out as herbs, flowers, and twigs progressed to herbs, leaves, and twigs. There wasn't too much change, but it all felt very earthy and natural, and I really enjoyed it.

Cyndyava
Cyndyava

Love that ad above. I think I actually remember that from when I was a kid in the 70's! Loved the bottle and the scent was absolutely fabulous. The original, that is. They have reformulated. Something is missing and to me, it just does not smell the same as I remember it. I love the fresh, sharp, greenishness of this. Reminds me of going to Studio 54 when I was 16 and dancing to Chic, "I Want Your Love."

nyoka
nyoka

I really cant smell this one.What little i perceive is like medicine.Not what i wanted or expected.Would not purchase again

ilikethequiet
ilikethequiet

When I first spray this on, I don't get any of the peach or melon top notes. It's all green leaves and bergamot, sharp and almost pungent. But in the first few minutes it warms and... I guess smooths out is the best description. It becomes less sharp, but only a little.

I smell orris and ylang ylang most strongly in the middle notes, but the jasmine is there, rounding out the scent. The carnation is in there, too, very faintly.

I think the payoff for this perfume is the dry down; the sandalwood is warm, the musk is sexy, the incense is smoky, the amber is powdery and the oakmoss is earthy. It all blends together to be green, warm, spicy and sexy. The more it dries down, the more I smell the oakmoss and vetiver, in a wonderfully earthy, green way. It's an altogether a satisfying scent, particularly if you're fond of chypres.

soniamcalear

Hey, has anyone noticed the watered downess of this scent lately? I can swear that the reason I would not use this perfume before is because it was too strong but this year I smelled this on a clearance shelf and it was a glorious smell and that is not how I remember this scent at all! I can swear it has been watered down to almost nothing compared to what I used to be. All comments welcome.

soniamcalear

I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS SCENT!!!! It smells like soap and powder to me. Its a classic beauty without a doubt to any mature nose. This is not for the young. I have fallen madly in love this scent and will be using it forever. I WANT A VINTAGE BOTTLE OF THIS SO BAD, DOES ANYONE HAVE ONE FOR TRADE?

lilinah

I bought "Halston" when it was first released, and i recently gave it a try again, from my old bottle (i have always kept my perfumes out of heat and sunlight). And i still really like it.

It is *very* strong. I love chypres, and it is very woody and mossy, tempered by flowers (i've never noticed the fruits). Plus it also always seemed to have a hint of the metallic to me. It was very modern at the time of its release. And while it has the intensity of a 70s perfume, it still retains some rather contemporary aspects as well.

Leesee smells "Charlie" in it, but i don't. In fact, i detested "Charlie", which always smelled "cheap" to me. Perhaps it's a difference in our noses or our skin chemistry.

"Halston" was a revelation when it was first launched, and now it is a classic.

hibernation
hibernation

Yes, very 70s. The first one I really liked and wore.

Leesee
Leesee

One of the first couturiers of the modern era to aggressively market a "designer" scent, Halston paved the way for relative newbies like Calvin Klein, Diane Von Furstenberg, and other fixtures of the Studio 54 era. The scent, which has always reminded me a bit of Revlon's Charlie in overall impact, is a citrusy, strident, even "ballsy" composition, just perfect for discoing the night away. Arguably, Halston set the standard for the breezy, faintly unisex scents that soon followed, including Lauren, Calvin Klein for Women, and Geoffrey Beene's Red. Almost as quickly as Halston became a "scentsation," however, it found itself completely and permanently eclipsed by the Viking-strength scents of the 1980s.

Lolly007
Lolly007

Ich hatte es schon mal vor 20 Jahren und war begeistert. Jetzt habe ich es mir wieder gekauft und es gefällt mir immer noch genauso gut. Es ist einfach zeitlos.
Sogar das Eau de Cologne hält den ganzen Tag.

I had it already times before 20 years and was enthusiastic. Now I bought it to me again and please it me still just as well. It is simply timeless.
Even the Eau de Cologne holds all day long.

guest_desiremenow
guest_desiremenow

I love this Halston perfume. I discovered it from a girlfriend in 1978 and have only worn this since. My mother bought me another of Halston's perfumes for my birthday once and I gave it away couldn't stand the smell. I have never been able to find any other scent I could love as much and the matching body lotion is perfect although harder to find.

azuriiita
azuriiita

smell well, but its all... Nothing outstanding about this perfume, except its harsh. I think its for women that has custom of wear it years ago...

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

I really wish I could wear this one. It smells lovely on my aunt, my sister and a co-worker who sometimes wears it. On these ladies, Halston is a warm, soft, sexy fragrance. Woodsy, slightly musky, with just a hint of feminine floral. On them it's a "your skin, but better!" kind of scent. On my own skin, it's sharp, sour and unpleasant. Didn't even smell like the same perfume at all. I guess it's true that every perfume reacts differently based on your individual chemistry. Halston is living proof of this!

sjanira
sjanira

My mom had this and I thought and still think it stinks. It's just to strong for me. I like the sweeter floral and woodsy scents better.

Purssian
Purssian

Shoot I wore some of the Halston Makeup line FAB colors! MAGENTA! In cosmetology
school @ the time. Wore this @ 21 and had men all over me! Now looking back and being on this site I have always have chose Chypre Florals. This was my first!

guest_ljubica
guest_ljubica

A typical seventies perfume, a bit harsh, not very feminine, greenish, with a patchouli/vetiver base.
It goes well with suntan and cigarettes, glam rock, safari cothes and unprotected sex - a very retro repertoire.

Halston Classic by Halston 3.85 out of 5 based on 440 ratings and 109 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Halston Halston Classic fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Halston Halston Classic, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Halston Classic by Halston. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Halston Classic by Halston represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.