Designers » F-H » Leather « Groups

Halston Z14 Halston for men

Halston Z14 Halston for men
dislike

Halston Z14 Halston for men Pictures

Halston Z14 by Halston is a Leather fragrance for men. Halston Z14 was launched in 1974. Halston Z14 was created by Vincent Marcello and Max Gavarry. Top notes are cypress, gardenia, green notes, basil, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are coriander, patchouli, cinnamon, jasmine, vetiver, cedar and geranium; base notes are leather, tonka bean, amber, musk, benzoin and oakmoss.

Cypress Gardenia Green Notes Basil Bergamot Lemon

L`Homme

Halston Z14 Fragrance Reviews

no-fi
no-fi

I had hoped Z-14 would be a classic green scent, like Quorum or Yatagan. Perhaps it used to be, but its current incarnation is an awful reformulated mess. Everything is out of balance to the point that it is actually quite offensive. The overly prominent synthetic cinnamon note is particularly abhorrent. I really tried with this one, persevering through two applications on skin - thankfully, not within hours of going out in public - but it never stopped being offensive.

I don't even think I could risk a vintage bottle now - any scent associations with this awful mess would ruin it for me. It's that bad.

chazmo1234
chazmo1234

One of the worst colognes I have ever had the displeasure of owning.

Thomaso7
Thomaso7

it's nice. a somewhat spicy aromatic tangy scent, somewhat on the cool side. it smells good.

jpgaud61
jpgaud61

I began wearing Halston Z-14 in 1977.

Z-14 & 1-12 are still, today, my top compliment getters. I don't wear Halston with consistency nowadays, but my wife will catch a whiff of Z-14 or 1-12 on me every once in a while & say: "Mmm-you smell nice". Unbelievably, one of my other most complimented fragrances by women was Liz Claiborne's Curve.

Z-14 is a busy fragrance. I imagine Halston wondering: "How many different ingredients can I put into a man's fragrance and successfully market it?"

Z-14's scent is very aromatic, but I can't classify it wholly as "woodsy" "green", "oriental", "balsamic" or "sporty". I personally classify Z-14 and 1-12 as "Mosaics"; I detect a little bit of just about everything tossed into the mix...sans Aldehydes & Ambergris.

Like Curve, Halston Z-14 & 1-12's scents fall somewhat on the synthetic side, but still smell quite good; and they're inexpensive. I don't think Halston's classics are going away anytime soon. The only big complaint I have isn't the fragrance, it's the classically poor atomizer quality on the spray bottles.

Z-14 opens on me with a refreshingly warm, very mild, Cinnamon note accompanied by Gardenia, Jasmine, and Cypress; which gives Z-14 that nostalgic vibe to my nose.

After about 30 minutes, the Cinnamon retreats into the background, letting the Bergamot and Orange freshness buoy the emerging Amber, Cedar, Coriander, and Patchouli. For an economical fragrance, there's a lot going on here for another 2 hours before Z-14 settles to Leather, Tonka, Musk, Oak Moss, Cedar, and the predominately resinous, Benzoin base notes.

Z-14 has a warm, inviting, pleasant, lightly sweet, classy, and relevantly mature, masculine scent. I'm glad Elizabeth Arden has picked up and continued Halston's fragrance house.

Z-14 and it's lighter, greener, younger brother 1-12, are not only masculine, but still versatile. I can easily wear these fragrances in a suit & tie just as well as in a pair of jeans and a polo shirt. Z-14 is still a very good fit for me; just as well as Old Spice. Rather than calling Z-14 dated, I prefer to use the word: "nostalgic".

Halston's classic fragrances still smell enjoyably pleasant, and have very good longevity and projection on my skin. Z-14 reiterates the truism: "fragrances need not be expensive to be good". Z-14 truly is an American classic fragrance that's being rediscovered generations later. Two thumbs up!

RL_S
RL_S

I got a 7ml. bottle (a miniature basically) today , which is a perfect size to try it out.

Initial impressions:
a tad dated, masculine, classy, quite a bit of that 'clean shaven' smell from the 70's/80's, some old citrus notes. Reminds me of some standout-ingredients from the scents my dad used (he was big on Kouros, Paco Rabanne & Santos) back in the day. I like it.
I don't get the big cinnamon thing (something I didn't like in CK's Obsession) here by the way.

Seems more suited for the classy gentleman, not the teenager heartthrob.

Will update this review after a while.

puddydad
puddydad

Sad, neutered version of the original.

BluesPentatonic
BluesPentatonic

I know we all have different opinions, but even if I have a very sensible nose, I never get "sick" or "overwhelmed" by any fragrance, maybe almost got there when I wore A*Men, Le Male or any strong gourmand/oriental or sweet fragrance during a hot sunny day here in South America. Halston Z14 is quite a nice masterpiece to my nose, has good sillage and longevity on me but it never is extremely cloying or strong, even tho I must admit that it is something you'd want to keep only for cold days and cool nights. Opens up with a nice citrus, then turns into a cinnamon/herbal/woody combination that really appeals to me. Love it!

Imzar
Imzar

I have been hearing a lot about this one and so I blind bought a small 30ml bottle to give it a try. Well what can I say, one spray is enough to make me feel sick. I imagine maybe toxic waste chemical smells like this. Never again shall I press that sprayer.

Way too much cinnamon, the synthetic kind. Natural cinnamon, in moderation, smells delicious but not this one, hence my reference to toxic chemical. The other note that really caught me was that supposedly oakmoss I think. If you live in the tropics like I do, please be very careful with this or someone will be sick, very sick ;-)

Dear oh dear! The reformulation horrors were all true. I take back what I said about YouTube reviewer the Fragrance apprentice when I sat through his diatribe and figured he was overacting... and I still think he was to some extent.
I never owned a bottle of the original myself but my dad had it, and I'm very familiar with the smell.
This is quite pitiful really, it's still desperately trying to cling onto its former glory as there's a remnant of the cypress, cinnamon and woods in there but it's missing all the manly stuff and the oakmoss and leather which made it a true great. Now sadly it starts of like a bitter lemony booze (limoncello) then a powdery poof of something clean and soapy then cinnamon and very subdued woods in the drydown.
Oh well I guess I had to see/smell for myself, I'm glad it was cheap. I'm not offended by it by any means and will persevere and see what it's like on subsequent wears but I doubt my opinion will change much.
Is Italian Cypress a viable alternative to getting some of that greatness from the original, at the price point you'd perhaps say no but no doubt the Tom Ford smells great. My main gripe is that the longevity is not that good either...so where is my fix going to come from?
Oh speaking of longevity, Z14 has died back to almost nothing already so I don't figure the longevity to be too good.
Shame.

Update: Actually some of the soapy, cleaner, awfulness of the opening has subsided and there's some very weak tones in the base, reminiscent of the more masculine oakmoss and woods I was missing. Definitely smells better now it's dried right down.

aucffan1

Not expensive.. last8 hours easily... and I get a lot of compliments from the ladies that it smells nice... For a cheapie I say it is a go.. I've loved it for 30 years....

Sorush
Sorush

با سلام
هالستون یکی از محصولاتی بود که شاه ایران استفاده میکرد و بسیار بوی مردانه ای داره.
This is one fragrances that the King of Iran Mohammah Reza Shah used to wear.
Mature and Formal and totally classic Cologne.

Konga5000
Konga5000

So, at Studio 54 it was chic & cool to walk around smelling like a big stick of cinnamon ?

Bought a small bottle from a thrift store today (March 2016) for $1.99 . Half-empty and no labeling so they shoved it in a box of nail polish bottles.

Disgusting scent & Halston himself seems like he was an uppity a**hole.

fsulka
fsulka

Lemon burst that mellows into cinnamon and vetiver for me and I love this combination of scents. Together they are fantastic. I believe I picked up my bottle at TJ Maxx for a song and a dance. I don't go to this bottle often but when I do I always ask myself why I don't use it more frequently. Particularly in the late fall and winter. This fragrance really shines in cooler weather. Z-14 is well worth adding to your collection at its price point.

Jernê Knowles
Jernê Knowles

Alpha male, virile, energetic, vigorous! Halston Halston Z14 di is the absolute synonyms that describe early on and from the Fabergé Brut outstanding had never used anything more manly in my skin, something to refer to pure testosterone in blood running routes. Just off it is intense green highlighting the basil giving an air herbaceous him and for the high notes of pine penetrating subjective causing even dizziness in his departure could see from afar, slightly, the present fuel characteristics in fearsome Fahrenheit Christian Dior. In their midst it becomes an intense and pronounced East with roots of vetiver, cedar wood printing a tasty bitter, Patchouli and more Coriander similar to the same Nu YSL, through you can feel a blooming flowers too, and honestly this stage , the fragrance becomes a silent destruction bomb that penetrates all the olfactory receptors in the brain and settles there not leaving anytime soon, enough to cause some point fatigue. Finally, this infiltrating fragrance that Punja established in 1974 and launched in 1976 to the public, which in my view is a Oriental Fougere, parting with Canelas in chips, resinous Benzoin, drops of amber that adocicam slightly along with Tonka, Musk nuances dried and linear tinted leather for a means woody aroma that brings the jackets style "Perfecto" too much delight. In its base notes is noticeable also very common traditional barbershop footprint in the house Penhaligon's niche perfumery, indescribably significant and why not desirable?!

Word of the Day: stillness... (day 14)

marlon.martinez
marlon.martinez

I don't know why this gets such a bad wrap. It's a totally masculine scent, and a great value. Cinnamon and spice, and everything nice. You can close your eyes and transport back to 1977. Thrown on a nice suit and hit the town. Long-lasting, and gets a lot of compliments. A very mature scent. Proud to have it in my rotation.

Lightning
Lightning

Dear god! I only just smelled the cap of the bottle and it invaded my senses. For the next half hour I could only smell z-14 and I couldnt test any of the other fragrances. Its not a horrible svcent but way too much sillage. Bad experience with it. Go easy on this one

caylemoore56
caylemoore56

I only tried this because my father said he wore it when he was a young man. Smelled great right off the sprayer nozzle. Once sprayed on my skin, pure nausea. There was something off putting about it. On the nozzle it smelled great, reminded me of JV Vintage. But once sprayed, it smelled like some sort of thick cleaner or detergent, something one might clean a floor with. Almost like a strong pine sol. Instant headache. Pass for me.

spray_and_pray
spray_and_pray

I find Halston Z-14 dated but I am also a 25 year old who came into the fragrance community just two years ago in what I refer to as the 1 Million/Metrosexual era where almost all new designer fragrances are sweet & slightly feminine or "sporty"/aquatic. This era of scents is still occuring with no end in sight. Z-14 is a masculine juggernaut that goes far beyond the reaches of modern masculine fragrances. Ofcourse there are masculine scents releashed every year that retain some of that traditional sense of masculinity but Z-14 still tops most. I agree this is dated as one would expect any fragrance from the 70s to be but I will say Z-14 is much closer to being modern than most from it's era. The citrusy, spicey, & woody accords are blended very well & the composition is quite enjoyable. This does remind me of the holidays for sure. I just feel i'm not quite old enough to wear this one. I am actually slightly jealous of those alive in the 70s who had the chance to rock this one. I can imagine being at Studio 54 on a Saturday night livin' the high life as Z-14 wafts thru the air!

I think every young collector should have a bottle of Z-14 along with Fahrenheit in their collection. Most young guns won't like either but they are both classics. Both take you back in time to a different period of fragrance history and unabashed masculinity. Z-14 is dirt cheap and though I will never wear that juice outside of home (atleast not until i'm older!), I will always have a bottle in my collection.

gedlive
gedlive

Vintage: I don't have the very first formulation, which is the best one. The later reformulation which I have is a bit watered down but still the great scent of the original. I also have and love TF Italian Cypress, I think the perfumer used Z-14 and made it better.

The current formulation is a disaster I threw it out, way to much cinnamon that has thrown off the heart accord and made it off key.

I realy start to love this fragrance when in gets cold, Fall and Winter. It is so unique and pungently earthy, the warm woody resins with oakmoss and leather, with the aromatic floral brightness of Geranium, green notes and Gardenija, wowy wow, Beutifull !

Vincent Marcello has only composed several fragrances, two of them classic masterpieces in their beutifull earthy ruggedness, Z-14 and Caron Yatogan. The currant formulation of Yatogan is still very very good.

Rating: vintage. 9.5/10, currant formulation: 5/10.

God bless you. John 3:16

Ambergris Intoxication

Are you kidding me?! It's not fair! I put this on and it hardly makes it past 5 inches. My dad splashes a few drops in his beard and the house is filled evan after he is gone! He has always been like that. Now is this a beard thing or is it a man thing? Perhaps body temp? I run pretty cool.

sam ldh
sam ldh

Its true calibre is evident from the simple fact that it is an immediately recognizable scent like Brut, Quorum, Antaeus etc., how many perfumes can you name that have similarly distinct personalities and are released within 2005-2015? None-at-all, actually!
This is still one of the best drug-store perfumes out there , and a cologne which is still a classy powerhouse with a distinctive fragrance and a
nostalgic retro-vibe which surprisingly doesn't push Halston-Z-14 into the "dated-scent" territory, because it smells indubitably contemporary and "updated" instead of "dated" despite of all the decades behind it!

Alongside Quorum, Giorgio Beverly Hills Red, Halston-Z-14 is my most appreciated (& most worn) drug-store cologne.
A member of a time when you were given what you had paid for, not like today's scenario when most companies lie through their teeth regarding the quality of their products and make you buy stuff (particularly perfumes) by glamorous advertizing and tall claims,stuff which invariably fails you by falling short off your expected performance-mostly longevity and sillage.
This one is "clean n green" leather scent which is fresh, warm and sexy in an
understated manner! All classic-perfume lovers would be pleased with this one, just make sure the box "does" mention either Oakmoss (Evernia-prunasti) or Treemoss (Evernia-furfuracia) on the listed ingredients.

Certainly recommended.

Gudluck &
Happy-Sniffing!
Sam Singer

ScottyVizz
ScottyVizz

Great, warm scent for the colder months. Would be greatly paired with a wool pea coat.

Ambergris Intoxication

This is delicious! Too bad it has that "this is definitely for a man" feel or I would wear it! It's very 70's With bergamot, woods and green notes and smells like my dads style. I think I'll give it to him. I hope the sweet vanillic cinnamon won't turn him off. He likes scents that are undeniably manly and come into a room before he does! Old Spice Burley anyone? ):^}>

I didn't mean Z-14 smells like Old Spice Burley because it doesn't. I just meant Burley was really manly and had extreme sillege.

As for Z-14 I like it. I wish my husband liked it.
Z-14 has fantastic sillage and longevity too.

orabsolute
orabsolute

Z14 is superficially similar to Italian Cypress (IC). However, the difference in the quality of ingredients was immediately apparent to me. Unlike a lot of others, I tried IC first and, about a year later, blind-bought a small bottle of Z14 based on the many reviews here stating that they're essentially identical.

Having sampled IC first, I was expecting the same rich, resiny-green cypress/cinnamon accord. Instead, I found Z14 to be flat and synthetic. I can certainly see the similarity to IC, to the extent that I wouldn't be surprised to find out TF intentionally copied Z14 when creating IC. If he did copy it, though, he spared no expense with his ingredients whereas Halston seems to have spared every expense with theirs.

I'm not sure IC is worth what TF charges for it, but it's definitely a superior fragrance.

Edit: to clarify, this is a review of the reformulated version. The original Z14 may be what some members are thinking of when they say that it smells just like Italian Cypress.

MadeiraD
MadeiraD

Smells like classic aftershave mingled with delicious cinnamon. A father getting up early to make cinnamon rolls for his wife and kids would smell like this, clean but not astringent, cozy but elegant, and packed with cinnamonny goodness. Very masculine in a warm friendly way, not chest beating bro masculinity, warm nurturing fatherly masculinity, but I wear it anyway.

boulouboulou
boulouboulou

Distinctive lemony / cinnamon / green accord in an sort of an old fashion style, very simple yet classy.
Loud at the beginning then sets into something more complex, as other subdued notes join the party like oakmoss, vetiver, and a sweet tonka bean.
The drydown is actually softer and pleasant too, without any synthetic feeling.

Uplifting and refreshing like a traditional cologne, but with a much better longevity.
I disagree about this frag being only for cold seasons.

The lemon ammount can be cloying, you must like this note to be able to wear this all day long.

Good frag, especially for this price tag.
The bottle is very singular.

xanthus_69
xanthus_69

I had a sample vial of this one but after two ocassions of using it, I gave it to my uncle because this frag is suited for older and more mature men like our dads and uncles, IMO. The scent is good but it's just not for me.

angelfishie
angelfishie

The first time I smelled this, all I could think was "forest", rich spicy woods. It took longer for me to single out cinnamon, evergreen, citrus, leather. Incredibly masculine and so inviting. I understand why some call it dated - it lacks the metallic aquatic that seems to dominate popular men's colognes right now - but I LOVE that about it. It's warm and earthy, not cool and ozonic - but still fresh. Whenever my boyfriend wears this I just want to curl up next to him and stay right there.

KC Doc
KC Doc

Halston Z-14 as reformulated in 2012 is AWFUL. Actually, it is worse than awful. EA will not stand behind their product and only makes apologies for making the smell similar to floor polish----which it may be good for.

It does NOT smell like acologne!

DO NOT BUY.......prsuming it was the former great Z-14.... believe me this is Z- 2012 and not worth owning

NickZee
NickZee

This is for the current formulation. What I get is lemon and cypress dominated fragrance that gradually transitions from strong lemon to strong cypress. The cinnamon is there, but having not smelled the vintage, I dont find its presence offensive at all. Leather, benzoin, patchouli and amber provide a nice supporting background. The lemon needs to be toned way back here, it just doesn't sit right in this semi-rich blend.

DSun
DSun

Three sprays on each arm of vintage (bought 1995) and reformulation (bought 2015) and there's a world of difference especially at the opening. The citrus opening is gone from the latter with the cinnamon pumped up several notches. I don't understand why. (Why nix the citrus if oakmoss is restricted? And why amplify the cinnamon to make up for the missing oakmoss? Seriously, I don't understand.)

Don't get me wrong, the drydown is still close enough and I would still wear it. But really...this reformulation could have been better.

This is puzzling. They're supposed to have professional noses, right? Why did they do this? anybody care to elucidate me?
______________________

Edit 05/05/2015: I have to say it. This is a really very bad reformulation. More disastrous than Drakkar Noir's.

Edit 08-24/2015 Ok, I have to revise my position. It honestly is not a reformulation. Some notes are shared but it is a totally different animal. What do you call it when something like this happens?

Marand75

If you do not like cinnamon stay well clear of this.
It's leather and cinnamon. Mostly cinnamon. Lots of cinnamon.
I like it.

peteradio
peteradio

Not a good blind buy. Very unpleasant scent, i would say anyone who is between 20-25 should stay away from this one

ecojoe69
ecojoe69

This was one of my go-to scents of the late 80s and early 90s but then I quit wearing it for awhile. I smelled someone in an elevator a few years back and they said they were wearing Z14- yeah, I asked a dude what he was wearing. I got another bottle and still love it. I do not even know what it is about this juice but I love it on me but WOW is it potent. LONG lasting. Its very "different" and for that I love it. Now, someone is REALLY going to blast me but I just got a bottle of Tauers Desert Marocain (sp) and there is something in that very expensive cologne that reminds me of something in the Z14. If Z14 were to tone itself down a bit, there is something very beautiful and much akin to LAir du Desert Marocain. Love it but I am not sure its really for anyone under 30.

rowan.walters
rowan.walters

Inspired by Andy Warhol's Diary, which mentions Z-14 as THE smell of the infamous Studio 54 - and Halston himself features throughout Warhol's account of New York City in the disco era (and seems to have been a colourful, extremely libidinous, gay hedonist) - I initially invested in a gift set of Z-14 some years back out of curiosity and was baffled by its appeal, but it looks as though I ended up with the reformulated version.
I have since tried it again and am still somewhat mystified, since I can't imagine myself intentionally choosing to smell like that on a night out, but then again I have yet to experience the authentic vintage version.
Since I started smoking again (and am in the process of quitting - yet again) my nose has become a lot less sensitive, so I have a bit of difficulty detecting and articulating individual notes, but the overall impression I get from the version I have is of a somewhat discordant citrusy-cinnamon-acrid and invasively unpleasant synthetic note that smells like toilet cleaner or something.
The curiosity of Z-14 for me was primarily historical - to try to get a sense of a specific place and time, but from these reviews it sounds as though I'm not getting an accurate indication anyway ...
I find the current version quite horrible and cannot imagine any situation in which it would be appropriate. I don't know if it recalls some childhood memory - since I was but a kid during the late seventies - but it evokes the image of a man with a velour shirt open to the waist, a hairy chest and medallion and brown polyester flares.

Review of the 2014 formula:

I sense this fragrance has been tweaked again, and the word on the street is that there's an abundance of cinnamon where there was once citrus. Z14 continues to be one of the cheapest fragrances on the market, retailing for three dollars an ounce at discounters across the country, so I guess if I wanted to I could purchase nine or ten bottles of the stuff and still have change left over for lunch. The only reason to do that would be to compare the supposed formula changes between different years and different distributors, but so far the four bottles I've owned in the last ten years have all smelled almost identical. The oldest bottle had unbalanced cinnamon, likely an effect of its advanced age, while my newest bottle has no more or less cinnamon than the other two bottles, namely my 2008 and 2011 batches.

How does the rest of the 2014 juice perform? If there is any other notable change-up, it's in how lavender and moss is treated. EA took a break from the fizzy "clean" lavender note of seven years ago and replaced it with a duskier citrus and pine accord in 2011. Back in '08 they were still putting oakmoss in the formula, which added to the "fresh" effect, but in '11 it was all about treemoss, with oakmoss nowhere to be found. That made Z a little drier and darker. Oakmoss continues to be absent from the formula, which is a bummer for some people. But last summer it appears they brightened Z14 back up a bit and dialed the lavender back up by a hair. Is this noticeable? Only if you're looking for it, and just barely at that. Yet changing the lavender just that little bit does hearken back to the days when the formula had oakmoss, and it smells identical to the oakmoss formula now. The dry, woody treemoss effect is infinitesimally reduced and replaced with a smooth, piney lushness.

The only other change is in concentration - the new Z is a tad bit more transparent, and takes more sprays. Longevity is still decent though, at around six hours with liberal application. This fragrance is cheap enough and still readily available enough to make searching out the "perfect version" of Z14 a harmless pursuit for formula fanatics, but I personally think 2014 is the end of the road for me. Z14 smells like Z14, smells like Z14 . . .

Marand75

I have ordered the Z14 and looking forward to trying it on but can anyone explain to me what the difference between eau de toilette and eau de cologne?
Also, is a cologne splash similar to aftershave?
I have always heard that a cologne is close to water in general, so is it all just a question of longevity and sillage?
Thanks from an untrained nose ;)

smcandsmc
smcandsmc

Wearing some vintage after-shave; dear god the dry down is just so rich and gorgeous, and it's just the after-shave.

Gandalfsson
Gandalfsson

I have both= Just got this here, but have used Tom Ford I C for some time.

It is not the same smell

Nevertheless= This is fine and cheap= Easy recommended

Oudy
Oudy

Nostalgia in a bottle. All I have to do is spin the top off of this and take a deep whiff with my eyes closed and I'm back in high school. There are some fragrances,like experiences, that can never be duplicated or verbalised. This is one of those. Lemony and woody and utterly unique.

Scent 8/10
Projection 7/10
Fortitude 9/10

ryan.huerta.92
ryan.huerta.92

After spending a good amount of cash participating in a split of Italian Cypress, I discovered that there is an identical fragrance. This is it! Was able to secure me an older 2 ounce vintage splash bottle off of EBAY and for $20 I am smelling identically for half the price of my much smaller decant. Highly recommended.

mildspicej17u55l

I'm so confused. Before, I hated this and now it's amazing. It's not as harsh as when I first smelled it. It's a really nice, hyper-citrus, oakmoss, woody, leather, cinnamon scent. Almost reminds me of Sung Homme. Very nice winter/oldie/cheapie. Also a good clubbing scent.

muzzle123
muzzle123

I picked up a gift set for myself at my local drugstore after hearing about all the great reviews this scent has. When I got home to try it on I was dumbfounded. This smells like lemon juice and nothing else at all. It's like I sprayed myself with lemonade. Worst of all it starts to smell like urine after 30 minuets.

BoergeSmalls
BoergeSmalls

This fragrance has a opening very similar to Carons Yatagan, and the drydown reminds me very much of Van Cleef & Arpels Tsar, if you already have those two fragrances you should keep that in mind before buying, if you like and collect old school oakmossy fragrances then this should be in your collection.
Im in the tropics while i write this, when i let my wife smell it the first things she said was that she liked it, but she told me she considered it to be a winter fragrance, i can say that that isnt true, i tried it on sunny days with up to 28 c, it doesnt become cloying or nauseating, even at 3 sprays it just stays in the background and gives you a pleasant whiff once in a while.

lovetribe

only now after so much that I own I can do a review corretta.moita cinnamon and oakmoss. longevity and sillage super. a classic to have. 1-12 will be better?

jaybear
jaybear

Halston Z-14 has become my Christmas scent. It is not a perfect fragrance in any way but its characteristics fulfill my needs during the Christmas season: The cinnamony and citrusy aromas of the current formulation suit Yuletide perfectly, and the barbershoppy vibes make sure I feel suave, clean and groomed enough for all the festivities.

In general, I don't want to experiment at Christmas; I want something safe and reassuring. I don’t want to drink any new or expensive wines at the Christmas dinner; I’m going to have some relatively easy-going and versatile beverages with the gustatory, albeit a lovely mess that it is. I don't want any posh pieces of confectionery; I want those rather inexpensive crispy truffles in tacky wrappings from the supermarket, the ones I had already 20 years ago. I'm going to listen to the same old Christmas songs while decorating the Christmas tree with the same old Christmas ornaments.

And that's what Christmas is – at least to me: It's all about safety, familiarity and traditions. It's all about things which never change, or, in fact, the illusion of them never changing. For things really do change; we all have very probably noticed that. But at Christmas I just want to forget and even deny that, just for a few days. Well, nevertheless Z-14 has changed, I have changed and Christmases have changed. Maybe Z-14 used to be better. Maybe Christmases used to be better, I don't know.

If you keep in mind what I have just written, the fact that I’ve never smelled any older formulations of this fragrance might seem a bit contradictory. (Oh yes, it really is a rather new acquaintance to me.) Sometimes new stuff just slips into traditions without any real experimenting. Z-14 has a character which just makes it the perfect fragrance to embalm my Christmas philosophy with.

Silvercat151
Silvercat151

Like Coachlea, I'm a woman and love this on me. Not sure what made me try it, maybe tired of most women's fragrances not smelling good on me. I used to wear men's colognes occasionally as I like spicy, musky, woody fragrances and many of the ingredients in this are notes I like. Anyway, I fell in love with it immediately! I don't care how old it is, or what the price is, just that it smells wonderful on me!

Syzygy73
Syzygy73

This is the cheapest and lovliest TF Italian Cypress I've ever smelled.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Halston Z-14 is a great masculine fougère on the herbal-fresh side, initially not that far from the majestic Cerruti pour Homme but more classic, more austerely refined and closer to a traditional "eau de cologne" type of scent (in short, less creative and unconventional than the Cerruti). It's all there: zesty refreshing citrus notes, lavender, herbs, spices (cinnamon above all) pine, mossy-woody notes, carnation, gentle soapy notes, a hint of leather. A refined, crisp, masculine scent which smells just good and versatile, unintrusive and elegant, slightly exotic too thanks to spices and mossy-herbal notes. The leathery drydown is the best part in my opinion, as it smells soft, mellow yet sharp and masculine, and reminds me of Moschino pour Homme, just woodier and greener. Solid!

7,5-8/10

georgequeue

Despite being a very strong fragrance and somewhat aggressive at first (but not so strong and aggressive that it is dizzying and cloying, as Opium Pour Homme), I really like how it smells, and drydown after about 4 hours is sensational...animalic, spicy, and woody; it definitely takes you back to the 70s and 80s!

Lasting power of Halston Z-14 on skin is monstrous (I bought my bottle in late 2008 for $ 20 or so), which you don't expect from very low-price EDTs; I don't think it's disastrous despite the reformulation, although I agree that it is not a versatile cologne today and it does feel old. Anyway, I'm glad to have it in my collection, and I'd like to purchase Halston 1-12 someday.

Hedphuq
Hedphuq

Opening of this one reminds me of Kouros (!). And as with Kouros I have this feeling of an old barbershop. Maybe it's because the oakmoss. Except this, theese are totally different fragrances. I get loads of spicy cinamon from this one, but it's a bit creamy at the same time. Not for me though, rather for an older man, who want's to smell like an older man should smell ;)

Reformulated version (recent one with a lot of cinnamon up front). Well, if you hate cinnamon forget this one. There's something else with it, which reminds me of what I've encountered in scents that listed tree moss as a note or ingredient. Whatever it is (tree moss, leather, a touch of galbanum), it sort of hardens up the cinnamon and also gives it a bit of a dry and chalky/powdery quality. This dominates for an hour or so, and then the earlier version of Z-14 begins to shine through, one with more lavender than I prefer. However, here the lavender never gets too strong. After a couple more hours the lavender recedes and blends into the mix. At this point it is at its best, unless of course you really enjoy the initial strong cinnamon. There is a kind of smoky/woody/incense that is quite nice and reasonably natural smelling. It's not as ambery and it's a bit drier than earlier formulations, but I had to give it a couple of extra sprays to "make it work." One major question here: why reformulate it this way? Those who want what they remember probably won't like it, yet the drydown seems too "mature" for the youngsters. I'd like to know why this was done! I'd slap a sticker on it that says "Now" and just call it Z-14 Now. Then they could phase out the original or keep it, depending upon whatever factors are important to them.

Monsieur Aramis
Monsieur Aramis

3,5 from 5 - 92P - Always liked Z-14 for its virile 70ies note. A prototype of men's fragrances in this time, and much superior to I-12, and above all superior to most of nowadays new fragrances. Z-14 simultaneously works fresh and aromatic, but should last a little bit longer and could have some more heart in order to achieve a higher rating. - Indeed, Vendetta (1993) is very very similar to Halston Z-14.

mrmattcat78
mrmattcat78

i like this one its smell alot better than the 1-12 , if your gonna pick a halston , i would go for the z14 , good prices very cheap at tj maxx

Bbjr
Bbjr

Can't add much to what's already been said about this classic fragrance. I came across a vintage splash and it's simply outstanding. In the same vain as quorum and VCA PH. And for a cologne, this stuff lasts like a Parfum. I have more than a few fragrances and this one is in the top 10. Get the vintage stuff.

roll4fun

Following is my evaluation of a reformulated version. (June 2012 batch according to checkcosmetic.com)

I mainly get a cinnamon/lemon bomb for a couple of hours. Not bad really, have actually garnered some compliments, I actually liked it a bit. After about an hour, I pick up a hint of some woody notes (Cypress/Cedar mix ?) and leather/benzoin notes. "Hint" is the operative word here.Going much beyond 2 hours I must practically bury my nose into my arm to detect a scent.

As I don't have any Italian Cypress or "old" version of Z14 for a reference frame, I cannot very well rave or rant about this latest version. I like it enough to occasionally wear. For sure, Z14 is easily obtainable, with Walmart, TJ Maxx group, and most chain drug stores having them for sale at prices south of $20 for a 2.5 oz in some cases. Not too bad bang for $$.

Budman
Budman

For some reason I get Goodfellas flashes in my head when I sniff this. Groomed men driving Lincolns in the 70's. Even the bottle captures that bygone era and would look in place in the homes then, wood paneling and all.

Very similar to Italian Cypress except I get a little lemon in the opening with this one compared to the slightly more refined, but much more expensive, Tom Ford.

I am intrigued by it actually and may give it a sample wear soon.

mildspicej17u55l

Words can not express how vile this stuff is. For one thing, I don't have any clue how this stuff isn't discontinued (there are 100 times better stuff that have been discontinued that shouldn't have been) for another,the smell, the packaging just everything is not satisfactory. The only thing that attracted me to this (at first) was the supposed "gardenia" note which is (in my nose) non-existent. Very glad I tested this out because boy would I have been disappointed. Seams like any men's colognes made before 1985 are absolutely nasty. Aramis is another one that I thought might be good because of the supposed "gardenia" note, tested it and sure enough, didn't smell gardenia. Instead I smelled an old man.

Cochlea
Cochlea

I am a woman, I adore this even though I feel like I should be wearing a chest merkin when I wear this. It is masculine but I wear it anytime I want to. Its not what I expected but I like it anyway. I smelled Z14 on a woman so I bought this right away. I know I have a different formula because on the lady Z14 was earthy, leather, smoky cinnamonn goodness. Still I am amazed by how I can detect many of the notes. For me, the opening was too sharp with lemon, combined with cinnamon, the lemon softened a little bit, then the aromatic herb notes came through shortly after. As the green softened the scent changed into an earthy patchouli and I could smell the sweet amber. At the end the leather is subtle almost like suede. The longevity and sillage are both impressive!

cjas9298
cjas9298

Z-14 (EA formulation) is really well-composed and excellent for daily, year-round use with good diffusion, life span and sillage. It is especially brilliant in hot and humid conditions where it cloaks you wisps of in lemony-woody vapor the entire day. It is a classic chypre overlaid with a dry lemon-suede accord, with notes of cinnamon, benzoin, coriander, cypress, patchouli, violet, rose and coumarin.

Z-14 has at least three direct decedents Vendetta Uomo (1991), Je Suis un Homme (2006) and Italian Cypress (2008), proof that it was decades before its time. To our good fortune, it is very inexpensive.

I now own what I think are four different formulations of this scent, which includes original Halston, French Fragrances, and two by EA. As I said on my blog (before sampling the latest formulation):

"When I sampled the original Z-14 I was struck by how much galbanum ["green notes"?] it seemed to have, and the thought crossed my mind that the names came from two samples being chosen, the twelfth and the fourteenth. I’d further speculate that there was one perfumer, and that he or she was just thinking in terms of variations on a theme, rather than significantly different scents, whereas once the formulating was out of Halston’s hands the two went in significantly different directions."

My conclusion was:

"The EA Z-14 I have seems to emphasize lavender and gardenia, whereas the French Fragrances one is the spiciest and most ambery. The original has the strongest “green notes” but is otherwise the best balanced."

The other day I tried the newest, cinnamon-heavy formulation (just a dab to the ankle). This is really a weird one, sort of like something ELdO would do! Perhaps they would call such a concoction "Disaster at the Candy Factory." Yes, it comes across as at least a bit "synthetic," but it might actually work in a large rotation (as a "change of pace"). After a couple hours or so, you can start to smell something the early formulations, but in a considerably diluted form. I'll have to give it a "regular" wearing and report back at some point.

lomerlaw
lomerlaw

This review is for the most recent version of Halston Z-14: the one which most buyers will now find on their store shelves. Halston's original formulation has garnered praise from reputable reviewers below, and sounds like the classic 70's and 80's "power scents" that I appreciate (think Quorum, Drakkar Noir, Aramis, Gianfranco Ferre for Man, etc.) The new formulation that I purchased can be identified on the bottom label by the "EA Fragrances", signifying that Elizabeth Arden has recently appropriated Halston perfumes.

Unfortunately this new EA version of Z-14 is a huge disappointment, and fails to live up to the expectations and quality of Halston's original creation. It appears that this new EA version has substituted the original's Oakmoss ingredient, and in its place is an overpowering, synthetic cinnamon element which dominates throughout the dry-down stages.

Previously, Z-14 was an elegant and classy scent, consisting of natural ingredients, and which evolved in an interesting and complex manner from top-notes to base-notes. The current version has now morphed into a cloying, obnoxious, linear cinnamon fragrance. Smoky cinnamon? Leathery cinnamon? Perhaps. But primarily it smells synthetic and cheap. To make matters worse, the sillage is fairly heavy, and it lasts forever. So you can smell really lousy for a long time. But hey: it's cheap. For whatever that's worth.

It's sad to discover that classic quality fragrances get discontinued, but it's almost a crime to bastardize the formula for a classic scent into something cheap and unrecognizable. In this case, the latest EA version of Z-14 is exactly that: an almost-criminally bad slandering of a once-proud product.

Sillage: 7/10

Overall score: 2/10

Caveat emptor: "If the Z-14 label says EA, then stay away." Keep looking, on-line or in specialty shops, until you find the original version. That's the one that has earned all the critical praise from the reviewers below.

mef
mef

با همه ی تعریفهایی که از این محصول می کنند برای من یک حالت
ناراحت و خفه کننده دست میده - شاید حساسیت منه به بعضی از محتویات آن

briannyc94
briannyc94

got this one as a teen cause jeff Gordon sponsored it in the early 2000s. pretty mature cologne. not for a teen at all

jburnsm
jburnsm

Sweet lemongrass with Cinnamon undertones very! Soapy reminds me of a fresh shower gel or soap. I don't agree with the majority of people that call this scent "masculine" it could most definitely be unisex. Earthy dry down but still soapy

VikramRajgor
VikramRajgor

Classy, mature, graceful, sober... that's what Z-14 is.

Z-14 is good but don't expect magic, it has been there from last 30+ years and hence nothing new in this fragrance.

It's safe, any male can wear it without bothering about how it will smell.

It doesn't last for entire day, in fact you need 4 to 5 sprays to last it for 4 hours and may be apply it twice a day if you want it to last for 8 hours :-).

craniumbash
craniumbash

This is what barber shops smell like in my country.

kenney77
kenney77

My kind of fragrance very well done amazing opening notes very different but very good

fresh_scents

After purchasing Z14, I still had my doubts about wearing it, because it's not like the fragrances of today. I didn't want to smell like I had been transported back in time. Today I'm enjoying all of the woody and spicy accords. This is very much a cold weather fragrance. Just go REALLY easy on the trigger. HZ14 is a projection monster.

Lucas Kirby Music
Lucas Kirby Music

In Memory of: Halston Z-14 1974 - 2011

I'm sad to say that after reading all the reviews and being fearful of the compromising and, in my mind, demise of a power house and legend of a cologne; it seems that the rumors are true. Z-14, one of my all time favorite scents - one that I can smell and literally go back in time to every memory I had with my father, is not what it used to be, and in more ways than not, is a completely different fragrance.

After ordering 2 bottles, one for myself and one for my father for Christmas, I read a bunch of reviews and articles that Z-14 has had two reformulations since 2010. The first one was still very close to the original, but leaving out most the oak moss and replacing it with tree moss instead. And the second reformulation some time in 2011 has no moss in it whatsoever. I was hoping that, even if there was a reformulation, that my nose would not be able to tell the difference, or that perhaps it would still be enjoyable.

Well, the rumors were true. I received the fragrances today (I even purchased Halston 1-12, which literally smells like a bar of soap). Now, Z-14 is just a fragrance that smells of strong cinnamon all the way through. It's not as long lasting and the sillage doesn't seem to be as good either. After the dry down, I smelled my arm, and, in all fairness, there were slightly similar notes to the old stuff, but whatever they were, were faint at best. So, I got out my old bottle that I've had before the reformulation, and sure enough - they're completely different. That oak moss in the old bottle really mellows the scent down and brings out all the goodness that makes Halston Z 14 what it once was.

The best way to describe my thoughts on what this new version smells like: Take a finely made milk shake, beer, wine, etc. remove it's key ingredient, then pour half of the liquid out and replace it with water. That, to me, is the new Halston Z14. If it were any other fragrance, I really wouldn't be so bummed out. But, this is a fragrance that I could smell and it would literally take me back to so many cherished memories from my childhood.

I hope this silly fiasco with Oak Moss and the IFRA goes away so perfumers can start making these classic scents again without having to dance around their creations. I'd rather have Halston completely discontinued than to try to "indoctrinate" others nostrils into thinking that this is what Halston Z14 actually smells like.

I'm glad I have my old bottle, but it's only got maybe 10 wearings left. I think I"ll just keep it for a keepsake and move on I suppose.

Hope this was helpful. If you perhaps like this fragrance the way it is, just know that it used to be heavy hitter with major class.

calyx93
calyx93

Very underrated, classic chypre - the structure is quite apparent - sort of a chameleon really. Wearable year 'round IMO.

A lemony, cinnamon-infused, masculine Mitsouko ... sort of.

timoroso
timoroso

This is a suggestive smell. My admittedly untrained nose says that more than any individual notes Z-14 just smells like itself. It is an image.

It is a bit smoky, so for some it might evoke a shisha blend. But for me it is an Italian amaro with dozens of different herbs in the recipe, concentrated and made into a perfume.

Obviously this is a product for the hedonist, and is compatible with smoking, drinking and other pleasant after-dinner activities. It stains clothes? Life tends to do that.

Laure_lei
Laure_lei

The reviews lauding the maleness of Halston Z14 make me giggle. It's been a fave of mine for years, and my 14yo daughter loves and wears it too. Go easy (not a full spray) and wow EVERYBODY, male and female alike. If you can talk your cuddle partner into wearing it, prepare to conduct the evening with your nose buried in their neck. If pheromones had a scent, they would smell like Z14. Sillage can be a little much when fresh, but everything after that is pure gold. Leathery, spicy, cuddly cologne gold. Longevity can't be matched.

Labaloo

Jeff P.: This one is a "powerhouse", meaning that it was born in a period of combining classic olfactory accords/fragrance-families into sometimes quite-complex, new creations. 'Z-14' could be called an "aromatic fougere-chypre", with wood and leather facets, as well as oriental modifiers. I don't like the classification of this one as "leather" either: I personally reserve that for fragrances with a prominent note of castoreum/birch tar in the base; this one is dominated by oakmoss (the original vintage, at least) which forms the bridge between fougere and chypre.

lovetribe

pure man!!!!!what a sillage and longevity!!!!!12 hours!!!!

arzacu
arzacu

I love classic fragrances, but I think this one mmm... maybe I have to give it time to wear it, to me smells just like lemon and woods with leather, not so complex and the gardenia it's not noticeable.

It was a gift so I think it's just a question of time, I'll keep it in my wardrobe.

gfelton505
gfelton505

Wore it in the 80s. Bought it recently for my 14 year old son as an alternative to the expensive things the Sephora Sirens spray on him, that tempt him, forcing me to tie him to some inanimate mast-like object in the mall until their song fades. He likes it, and lo and behold, I still like it. Very simple sweet cinnamon up front, with the floral gardenia noticeable. Settles in to something more like pine (cypress?). By late afternoon it's still there. Tangy citrusy pine and herbal wood. Not super complex but whudduyuh want for $12? It has its place as an everyday "I don't want to overthink it" scent. My son and his Spice Bomb addicted friend like it too.

Jeff P
Jeff P

Does anyone know how to submit a change request to the admins? Halston Z-14 is listed as a LEATHER in groups. But it seems to me as it is so similar to TF Italian Cypress shouldn't it be in the WOODY AROMATIC group? Also, am new to site so if this was not proper place for this sorry.

roll4fun

See "guest" BOGO review below for mine- my log in must have timed out, or something.

Took the "BOGO" plunge late Aug. I now have a solid supply of my "change of pace, for the hell of it" fragrance. I like it, but recognize that its not for certain occasions.(Don't wear to job interview, maybe wear on dress casual Friday, definitely wear on at least some freewheeling social occasions.)
What is Z14 like? Well, think of asking the bartender for a potent drink who pours a double shot of several ingredients to give you one helluva potent drink. You can't quite tell what is in there, but you know it is strong, and that you're liking it.
On Z14, I smell something that resembles lemon, bergamont,and various woodsy notes. I can't quite pinpoint them, only that it is one awesome mix. On my initial wrist test in summer, I got 8 hours longevity. On recent 60 degree day, managed 6 hours.
At about the 3 hour point, I started picking up leather notes. Quandary: Was it as in a leather jacket,or an old lady's purse kind of leather ? One slight downside is a slight hint of lady fragrance here- it seems that frags heavy in benzoin are perceived that way by me. But not so much here, it must have been a guy in a leather jacket behind an old lady in line at the bank. Leather jacket wins, Z14 wins for a spot in my rotation!

Demetrius
Demetrius

Very nice and classy. I love to layer this one with other fragrances...

jotalopez
jotalopez

Actually, it was launched in 1976 along with its twin brother 1-12. I used to love this fragrance but not anymore. Now I find it outdated and it seems to me it doesn't get along with my skin nowadays. I'm almost sure it was recently reformulated as I have not been able to smell those fantastic basil and orange blossom accords that made this fragrance a heavy hitter for decades.

aphexacid
aphexacid

I don't quite know what happened to me, but for years i hated this perfume.

Then all of the sudden i smelled Italian Cypress by Tom Ford, and it made me smirk.

I knew that it smelled like Z14, thats undeniable. Almost identical. But the TF had something that made it smoother.

So now of course i had to go out and find Z14 so i could directly compare. The bottle that i bought smelled NOTHING like i remember.

A google search revealed that they have removed Oak Moss from Z14 due to IFRA regulations.

This really changed the ways it smells completely. Even for someone like me that has never worn it.

So of course now i had to buy a 'vintage' bottle. This required more research. A bottle was located without much fuss. Oak Moss included.

When the bottle arrived, i did something i never thought i would. I sprayed Z14 on my skin.
AH yes! Thats it! HOW am i actually liking this now??

On my other arm i sprayed the Tom Ford. And you know what? I swear to you its not as interesting as Z14!

The TF is TOO smooth. TOO tame. Which is fine if thats what you like. But Z14 is one of those perfumes that is supposed to PUNCH you in the face.

The TF is also missing something. I'm thinking its the leather. Because Z14 really has a certain backbone that TF does not.

Do yourself a favor and track down a bottle of the Oak Moss version!

Mr.Bobby.N
Mr.Bobby.N

Preface... This is just my opinion...

It's definitely not for me. My senses hate it, and no one that i know that's smelt it (especially females) likes it at all. They often recoil and their face screws up like I just said something insulting... but I didn't... the scent spoke.

I know that for a particular nose, it's the unique scent that they've been waiting for, but not my nose. I can appreciate it's boldness and unique smell (it's very different from most things out there), but I often joke that I'll spray Halston-Z14 on when I want to break up with a girlfriend, because I probably won't need to utter a word to achieve my goal.

Works every time :)

---------------------------------------------
SILLAGE: good
LONGEVITY: good
SMELL: Poor
VALUE FOR MONEY: average

OVERALL: 3/10
---------------------------------------------

Art2112
Art2112

Lol RedBeard, but how do you really feel about it ??? JK :)) I gotta give this one a shot...its been around forever for a good reason !

Redbeard
Redbeard

Some notes of this reminded me of other spicy herbal brands that I like, but I feel slightly embarrassed to smell like this in public. I get a lot of lemon in Z-14 that seems over-the-top and tacky to me, like a spray of lemon funiture polish on top of a better cologne (probably Bel Ami). The combination becomes very cola-like to me after a while, and I don't like colas, so there's an unavoidable and unpleasant food connection for me. It smells 70s-ish in a way that I don't like, and makes me feel sleazy, like a stubbly fat guy wearing gold chains and a dirty jogging suit (Carl, the middle aged guy on Aqua Teen Hunger Force!). Others (Paco Rabanne, Pierre Cardin, Grey Flannel) smell 70s-ish in a way that I can still take them seriously and like them.

IMsooKool4Real
IMsooKool4Real

Z14 = Inside an abandoned apothecary hut in a forgotten jungle

This is a 100% masculine fragrance that smells 100% BEAUTIFUL on a woman. I have had this cologne for years and enjoy it a great deal. I have never thought of it as something a woman would dare to wear.

BUT yesterday I smelled this on a young lady and I was absolutely mesmerized. There is something so natural about this fragrance on a woman. It is confident and comes off very fresh, deep and spice saturated. I couldn't get enough and just had to ask her what she was wearing. I was a bit shocked when she told me it was Z-14. She said the spices, earthiness and subtle creamy leather made it very sensual & unisex for her. She was absolutely right.

As I mentioned this is definitely a masculine cologne but as I discovered yesterday it magically transforms into something beautifully earthy and spicy on a woman and takes on a whole different character.

Ladies if you get a chance - test this on your skin! You will not be disappointed.
Gentlemen, this is a great cologne. Period.

Ben's Aldehyde
Ben's Aldehyde

I found the dusty, peculiarly shaped brown bottle in a forgotten corner of my in-laws' house, still exuding a trace of something dark and mysterious. Curious, I spritzed myself…

Wow. The first whiff of the stuff was like being assaulted by some manic barber intent on smothering everyone with shaving lather. Spiced shaving soap times a gajillion. But soon after, the fragrance became deeply and delightfully woodsy.

Once the chaos of barber-ian attack subsided, I was left in peace to amble through sweet cedar groves, feeling red roots and springy loam underfoot, returning at last to a snug cabin to warm myself before a sweet-smelling fire. I was in love. Much to my delight, my mother-in-law let me take the bottle with me.

The coriander restrains the sweetness of the cinnamon and adds a resinous lift, creating a combined impression of fresh, woodsy spiciness. The oakmoss in here is magnificent, deepening the forest and lingering with that tweed-and-tobacco feel. As the fragrance fades, a whiff of smoke -- and something faintly honeyed, but not sweet -- remains.

Aside from the pungent initial blast, this fragrance is quite smooth, and is to me a perfect balance of dry and sweet. I love the way it smells on me, even though I'm a woman. More importantly, my husband loves the way it smells on me.

Halston Z14 must have been my father-in-law's fragrance. I never got a chance to meet him -- he died a few years before I met my husband. He was a rugged outdoorsman, and by all accounts a kindly, respectable man. I think this scent must have suited him well.

(This review is based on an older bottle.)

georgequeue

Despite being a bit strong (when first sprayed) and dated, this fragrance is really nice; the drydown is simply great!

I own a 125 ml. bottle, and I enjoy wearing it. To me, Halston Z-14 is still just as good as it used to be when I first smelled it in the late 80's. Definitely, a spicy woodsy classic.

Cheers!

Cassiano
Cassiano

This one was released in 1976. Obviously, a cologne does not survive for so many years without managing to keep active sales. Even more in a mutante market such as the perfumery, in which we see colognes that are "younger" being discontinued for no apparent reason.

Anyway, there is much talk about reformulations in this fragrance - which is common as well – although I have a lot of curiosity about the first version, which should be a masterpiece, as well as the classics of the era.
The difference, in my point of view, is that this cologne, although being "old", does not have the dated aroma that exists, for example, in Paco Rabanne pour Homme. Here, we have the "classic" scent, but with the quality of a timeless fragrance. And this is the most interesting because this one has been compared to Tom Ford Italian Cypress, which is more recent (2008) and infinitely more expensive, which reinforces the theory that "nothing is created, everything is copied", especially when it comes to perfumes.

The fragrance is composed by cypress, basil, bergamot, lemon and gardenia in the output. In the heart, coriander, geranium, cinnamon, patchouli, jasmine, vetiver and cedar. At the base, to finish this complex and rich composition, the notes of oakmoss, tonka bean, musk, benzoin, amber and leather.

The result is a scent with a citrus and rasp opening, with a nice note of bergamot combined with the cypress that, after a while, it is embraced by cinnamon and woods bringing, finally, the density of the moss with the dryness of the leather, slightly mitigated by the creaminess of the amber and benzoin.

For those who like scents as Eau Sauvage or Boucheron, but want the citric tone remains less aggressive and classiest, this one is a great option. A pity that the reformulations made its projection lower, but the lasting is still is very good. Beautiful scent!

idressyou
idressyou

This was the rebel scent for gen X girls towards the end of high school... in line with black leggings under thrashed 501s, Doc Martens, black eyeliner & your ex's favorite Pendleton. Clouds of clove cigarettes, skunk weed, stale beer, cigarettes and Z-14 filled your lungs at every unwitting parents' house party, club and rave in the late eighties.

I wore it myself, back then... I think more as a snub to the stereotypical ideas of what a girl should be, wear, do, dress, etc... that was projected by mass market media... and I do mean mass-ively projected. This was the era of skyscraper billboards at every corner with
the mannequin-posed supermodel of the week, wearing the trend of the week, selling the designer of the week. It was also the era of a movement raging against the machine.

I've lived both sides of the fence, but am comfortable enough in my own skin, thoughts and feelings now, to know balance is the key. All that said, I do have a sentimental association with Z-14, and may get an urge to hyper-stimulate those fond old memories one day. I'll track down a vintage on Ebay, if the occasion arises. For now, they are at a comfortable low hum in my heart and mind.

fragrantpete.
fragrantpete.

I do get the cinnamon...but it is balanced by an earthy smokiness that appeals to me a lot. Delicious.
I am wearing it on a hot day in England ( yes really ) and it is floating around me in the warm air..

mustafa24
mustafa24

the smell of cinammon is the most prominant, and the one which i can easily recognize, the cinammon notes is then overtaken by the leather/woody notes after a few hours. overall very distinct fragrance, lasts 5-6 hours, sillage 2-3 hours.

StargazySkye
StargazySkye

Yes, I'm a hetero female and I wear Z-14, although often with something else, often original Hanae Mori mens cologne. I almost feel I have to do two sets of answers. The original scent of Z-14 changes so dramatically after 20 minutes and I cannot stand it when I first put it on. Then the annoying level of citrus fades, and you can smell the woods and flowers more. I don't smell the cinnamon as much as others seem to, but cedar, cypress, patchouli, vetiver and amber come through. I can also smell the geranium, which I love. I've been giving Z-14 to lovers since the late 70s, and it still gives me that zing. Maybe that's why I started wearing it myself.

GIMP
GIMP

This was my first disco experience. Halston was all about sex(gay) drugs(cocaine) and disco dancing that this was my first bottle of perfume I bought for myself. I was a midwestern farmboy that made a dash for the big city of St Louis and later Chicago. Hey, the 1970s was a perfect time to come of age and "out" with. Halston was one of the best things to wear with that feathered hair and that "macho man" look.

It was dark, smokey and ever so sexy on me. I always felt like I was wearing holy water or something. I had a cute face, so I was an easy catch. Or was it my Z-14? Sorry ladies, guys were all over this guy in the day.

Times were so much more different in those early days. Marriage was out of the question and assimilation-forget it! Now everything seems so dull. I am so glad I kept my old bottles of cologne, vinyl records and paperback novels. Only the good die young-RIP Mr Halston!

Jaakiem
Jaakiem

I kind of like the leather this is going to, but the sharp and metallic beginning is just horrid. I wore Geranium pour monsieur today and I get some geranium from this too. Then there is some nice patchouli and leather.

Unfortunately the overall impression is thin and cheap smelling. Well, it is really cheap, so maybe one shouldn't expect more. My bottle is probably one of those more current ones. It has treemoss in it, but no oakmoss.

Edit. I just couldn't leave it be. I got chance to buy couple years older bottle and took it. I just put it on my skin and I can already say that this is very different story. Older Z-14 starts smokier and without any sharpness. If this were blind test I'm not sure I would have recognized it. Sometimes all the talk about reformulations sounds like exaggeration, but it apparently isn't.

This smells very good, but not as good as my favorite leather. Maybe I should look for even older bottle of this if that should do the trick?

8+/10

antoneux
antoneux

I wanted to like it but in the end I just couldn't. I don't hate it, I can appreciate it but I don't think I can wear it. I feel like my body chemistry would not like it. As well as the people around me. When I tested it my friend whom I was shopping with could not stand the scent. He said it was awful. I didn't even spray much on me, just a half spray on my wrist. I think the note the bothers me is the cinnamon. I am not a fan of cinnamon scents. I still admire the beautiful bottle though, and I wonder what a vintage formulation would smell like.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Oh, this is wonderful stuff, even reformulated. (I bought the treemoss cologne version at Ross for only $17!)

It's exactly the kind of scent I was looking for: deep, heady, aromatic and masculine. No sweetness, no flowers... nothing fresh, sporty or blue about this. I primarily detect the moss and pine notes, with some leather and cinnamon thrown in for good measure. (On me it does NOT smell like Big Red - not at all.) When you first spray it on it's an exceedingly heady, complex mix that dries down very nicely.

It's certainly not a young guy's scent - this is a mature man's cologne. I suppose it is evocative of the Seventies, but I don't care. A well-wrought classic is a classic, and this is a classic.

And yes, amazingly, when it has dried it smells a lot like Tom Ford's Italian Cypress ($200).

Halston Z-14: It sounds like a plot device in a spy film, but it's a great scent for men at an amazing price.

---

Smells like Mister Blass? Never! This is *far* more complex than Mister Blass and has notes MB does not have...

----

UPDATE: "I'd like to get a hold of a vintage bottle; with the IFRA-banned oakmoss. This must have been killer."

I did! I got a bottle of the French-manufactured stuff on e-Bay for a song and it arrived today. The bottle is different in that it has an extension on the cap with the spray nozzle. I did a quick side by side wearing; current USA formulation on my right arm, vintage French on the left.

My first take is that the vintage stuff smells like serious perfumery. There's a note that I don't think I've encountered in that form yet. It's deep and strong. A dirty leathery smell, perhaps? It's bolder. Compared to it the current stuff dries in a less complicated, somewhat more modern fashion - cinnamon and cypress. (In warm weather it seems more cinnamon than cypress on me. I distinctly recall it drying down more cypress when I first bought it in February.)

In the vintage there is a Mitsouko resemblance... it's dry and just a little bit off-putting.

Before I say which one I really prefer I'm going to wear the vintage all day in my usual test. I will say, however, that the current stuff does smell more like modern style fragrances. It's lighter, less dirty. The vintage has a somewhat alarming and more deeply pungent note that is entirely missing in the current stuff.

But here's the weird thing! I tried some vintage Z-14 in Richmond, VA and it's different yet. It's certainly not current and it isn't this French mix, either. It has an initial oakmoss blast that is absent from both.

Odd!

But this vintage brew is wonderful. It doesn't smell modern at all!

pronose
pronose

a legendary colgne of the 70's! so unique and sexy and lasting! never been paired since.

reddishmango
reddishmango

okay i got this fragrance as a gift when i was about maybe 12..i don't know what the heck my aunt was thinking. i am absolutely scared by this fragrances and haven't smelled it in over 7 years i remember this being very harsh, spicy, kinda salty and hit of pepper..now it may have been my very immature nose but i cant ever see myself paying for this nor even using it as a last resort no offense just not me

randy.devost1
randy.devost1

I agree with the comments about it being: retro, American, 70s, and masculine. The cinnamon sometimes wafts sweet like Ceylon, and other times a little warmer like Cassia. Every time I take a whiff, I get the urge to eat fresh pie dough. There's something appetizing about it.

RUDOLFO512
RUDOLFO512

Wow! This cologne brings me back to the "disco" days way back in the 70's. I got this last year as a birthday present. I put it on today and it brought back so many memories. It is very crisp, fresh and masculine scent.

Thatkid
Thatkid

My grandfather wore this until his death and now my little brother wears this and it smells so awesome. I have considered buying this for my boyfriend but he doesn't like cologne

bailarina
bailarina

I just smelled it today, and it does not smell bad at all, it just smells cinnamonny. I would give it to my father, but not my husband. The reason being I don't feel atracted to the scent. I just think is nice and fatherly, but I think anyone can wear it.

I have never smell this before that day I bought it (and returned), and my dad did not used to wear it or anything like that, but "It smells like daddy" :) somehow.
I love it on fatherly figure men

jezzey
jezzey

I like it, wife hates it. I guess that means I won't be buying a large bottle. It is a mature, masculine, musky scent. One of those colognes that once you wear it, you will realize you have smelled it many times throughout your life. The most impressive thing about this scent is that while, strong and musky, its sillage is fair to moderate (something most people would consider a pro). I would recommend to anyone wanting (with a wife wanting) a vintage, musky, scent.

aucffan1

I have loved and used this for 30 years.. Always can find some reason to wear it..

Yan9
Yan9

Z14 really has class of its own.The woods in this cologne are deep and intruiging. Top notes smoothly give way to woods and leather. The transition of the top to base notes makes me feel this is a chypre rather than leather.

Projection is very good or may be excellent and longevity is Great. I think this is a must try.

Price is very reasonble.

Go for it.

AbBlue
AbBlue

You can read this about so many scents: "It's smell like Christmas to me", maybe it's necessary to mention where. I'm in Mexico City and Z14 smell like Christmas to me. I find it hard to understand how this magnificent composition is not in people taste anymore... maybe that's not true and for some people it's only a matter of fashion. I was waiting for a cold day and it seems that finally has arrived, I'm wearing Z14 and will be back to this review to tell about what I've found about people's taste. About the notes, well, there are great reviews before this one.
***
Puedes leer esto sobre muchas fragancias: "para mí, huele a navidad", quizá sea necesario mencionar dónde. Estoy en la Ciudad de México y Z14 huele a navidad para mí. Encuentro difícil de entender cómo esta magnífica composición ya no está en el gusto de la gente... quizá no es así y para algunas personas, es sólo una cuestión de moda. Estuve esperando un día frío y parece que finalmente llegó, estoy usando Z14 y volveré a este comentario para contar sobre lo que descubra acerca del gusto de la gente. Sobre las notas, bueno, hay comentarios geniales antes de este.

babak125
babak125

وای عجب بوی دیوانه کننده ای داره.غیر از نت ابتدایی مرکباتی اش در روایح میانی و پایه مشابهت های زیادی با عطر سگنیچر بوگارت داره.یه کار کلاسیک مرکباتی - چرمی جالب

fresh_scents

I'm going into my second day of wearing Z14, and I am loving it. Halston's Z14 has a strong spicy top note that transforms to a very mild dry down. There is no mistaking this for a unisex fragrance at all. It is a men's fragrance without a doubt. There are other fragrances, I'm sure, that have its same accords/notes but $18 for a 125ml bottle supports most spending limitations on fragrances. Try it.

dkny27
dkny27

Deep, woodsy, leathery, classy and mature... It's a classic. Not your younger generations scent, but it IS timeless. I don't smell it too often but when I pick it up on a man, it is distinctly associated with good taste.

SilverFire
SilverFire

Goes on sharp, and then becomes sweet, like the sweetest root beer ever, a sweet root kind of aroma, and then tacs back to the original smell that's like a licorice alcohol. It is not barbershop, I don't think, but it does smell mature, manly, gummy (like postage stamps), and I could swear that I've smelled this before. It does have a vibe of something older, like what my grandfather on my dad's side would wear, a drug-store vibe. It's not bad, though as a 40-year old guy, it's not my era; the scent itself is fine and definitely manly. As it continues, you can smell more of the alcohol/musk/oil part to it.

I bought this a mini in 2012, so this review is most likely for the latest formulation.

StoneysTattoo
StoneysTattoo

Probaly one of the best colones I have used in years.

fresh_scents

I just bought this while looking for another vintage fragrance. I wasn't too sure if I had made the right decision, but I am very glad that I did. Not bad for $18 of a 125 ml/4.2 oz bottle. On my skin it projects well and is a delight for the senses (very spicy). Caution: It's a projection monster so go easy on the trigger.

jennifer60656
jennifer60656

@ NHIndian24:

You ask if something is acceptable to wear as a younger person, guess what? Fragrance is a state of mind, perception, and attitude. It is NOT a chronological age, although many people do talk about "old lady" or "old man" scents as if that is something to be ashamed. Let those people talk! And wear the latest but not greatest.

Let your nose be your guide - if you love Z-14, and I completely agree with you on that; it is awesome and I love it too (if you like the leathers give Aramis a try)then wear it!

I see you like Drakkar and Polo as well. Good for you. There is over a century of wonderful scents to discover. Don't worry about what your friends wear. Wear what you like and rock it!

NHIndian24
NHIndian24

I love this cologne, it's woody, leathery, and spicy. It lasts all day and projects to about 4-5 feet. But does anyone here think that a high schooler could wear it? I smelled it and immediately loved it, but I'm not sure if anyone would consider this as a dated,m or older man smelling cologne, any thoughts?

James Lewis
James Lewis

This is a great masculine cologne!I love to wear this when I go out in the winter time,I feel that it makes a statement that Im a man and I smell Like a man and if you dont like it,I dont care because Im a man!

ericrico
ericrico

I sought out a Vintage bottle of Z-14 After Shave recently from a trusted seller that I know...and it brought me back! The old-school, retro bottle with a screw on cap (a perfect thimble to dispense the desired amount of magical, vintage juice into) is just perfect!

What krmarich and Grottola, as well as jtd and K1 get from this is what I get - wonderful and timeless scent! The opening of citrus with integrated herbs and fresh-ground cinnamon takes me back to my youth. My oh my...where has time gone? Time has stood still in this bottle and I am thankful for that. While our planet spins on a tilted axis, so does this bottle of juice in its flacon. It is not a "straight-up" composition. This is a chypre, Grottola...you are correct. With it brilliant aromatics, I would have to call it a "Spicy Leather Chypre" just to categorize Z-14 a bit more apropos. However, I would rather just splash it on and feel like a man! There is no note in this that is off-putting to me. The blend is seamless. Price tag is insignificant. You are buying the bull's balls when you get Vintage Z-14...this is meant for men, not boys.

I recently acquired a Vintage bottle of 1-12 as well (which is a bottle of heavenly oakmoss-laden greenness - a forest in a bottle)! This has the spices and leather that 1-12 steers clear of. I am not going to compare and contrast the two scents. I love both. Each is fantastic on their own merit. Vintage Halston bottles of these two landmark fragrances are absolutely worth seeking out!

The strength of the Vintage After Shave is that of a Eau de Cologne (not quite EdT), but it wears wonderfully and projects very well. Oakmoss, amber, musk, tonka bean and the key base note of leather allow the entire chypre composition on top to present itself, vividly. I love the blend of the spices with the green/herbal notes (including the patchouli in the heart). Great interplay between notes - but I rather not over-think this one. Along with the leather and warm base, there is simply no other fragrance like it. Once you have worn Vintage Z-14, you now have an understanding of what a benchmark masculine scent should smell like. Put away the castrated juice of today and enjoy what this has to offer in its true form.

Not seasonal for me. Only the dog days of summer would this be something I would shy away from - but still definitely consider for evenings after a relaxing shower (like tonight). Cooler weather is associated with this, but I think a chypre (even one as spicy and leathery as this) can be worn virtually whenever. A point to ponder: Is there anything more macho than splashing on Z-14 after a nice workout and shower for an evening out (or staying in for intimacy)?

I don't think one can say this smells dated, unless they associate bold masculinity with another generation...Z-14, welcome back old friend.

**UPDATE** - I just picked up a Vintage splash bottle that was perfectly cared for. It was made by Halston Fragrances (there is no mention of EA on the sticker) - the batch code tells me it is older. Not large, but enough (60ml/2oz) of wonderful, rich Z-14 in its true form - preserved by its original owner who never used it. I will wear this with attitude & swagger - and the last thing on my mind will be that I smell "dated". The wonderful thing about masculinity is that it never goes out of style...great stuff!

krmarich
krmarich

I discovered a vintage splash for under $10. USDs. I remember having a bottle of this in 1977 and wearing it to see Star Wars! It was one of my firsts and the flood of memories it brings up are great. This wasnt teenage body spray. It ranked right up there with the finest Aramis top shelves. I think I paid less than $5. for it. Thats a steal for this rich, masculine chypre. I love feeling the bottle in my hands-Halston was brilliant in the 1970s!

It has a smokey, hazy richness that made me feel warm. I was clueless about the notes in the 1970s, yet loved that rich potent "woodiness" that I would later discover was chypre. This was a leather chypre that worked best on winter nights, like ancient temple smoke. In the summer it is pure campfire smoke.

I am somewhat surprised by its comparison to other more expensive fragrances. It was always about $7.99 a bottle. In its time it was everywhere-Studio 54, roller skating rinks (Oh, the wake that trailed me!) and malls across America. Sideburns and feathered hair go well with this. Its pure Americana, built for speed. Ah, what a designer could do then...

Enter EA Fragrance, Jeff Gordon and the sythetic plastic reformulation. Another icon is smashed. Star Wars is from the 1970s, its still cool, and so is Z-14. Before you pass judgement, find a vintage bottle to experience its virility. They are out there and worth every penny(or more)!!!

srimati
srimati

I rescued this one from a friend who was going to throw it away because he prefers sweeter frangances for men. I smelled it and like it. My first impression was; very woody, then spice with some citrus. Very simple but catching. Definitely for men. Going to give it to someone who has appreciation for it.

mrluctoretemergo
mrluctoretemergo

how about this ? Halston Z-14 can be considered (although far from the eldest)as a godfather of how a MAN should smell...CLEAN...FRESH...STRONG...I'm sorry but if you don't like this (as a MAN) ...you got 2be from outta space.

BE A MAN WEAR HALSTON Z-14 !:o)

word-doctor
word-doctor

Have worn this off and on for years. Probably dated, though that isn't something I consider one way or another. It's woody and leathery, with minimal citrus. I do think it dries down well and has decent projection and longevity. Wife likes it on me. It's not a young or sporty fragrance at all.

Edit: Bought a bottle the other day for the first time in several years. It's just ok. A little watery and a little too much cinnamon. I doubt it's changed--I think I've tried some better frags recently that have put this down on my list.

EDITX2: No, it HAS changed. Have read the sad saga and I'm sure I have a post 2011 reformulation. Apparently it's worth seeking out Jeff Gordon sets from a few years back. Will score it when I score it.

EDITX3: Will not attempt to score it. Why should I try to figure out how old Jeff Gordon was when a particular bottle was made? Current bottle relegated to dumping in the window AC to add a Big Red note to the living room on hot days.

Labaloo

The scent of this one brings me back: it was always stylish young men in crisp haircuts and long overcoats that wore this- glorious days they were. It reminds me of shopping and then afterward walking a block away to sit in a particular, local cafe in the evening to sip, chat and listen to jazz. The warm cinnamon in Z-14 is the easiest way to differentiate it from Polo (which too many at the time wore and few could pull off with ease), and it's bouquet inches a bit toward androgyny- a dominant woman could well pull this one off, methinks.

Odiee99
Odiee99

I had to give Scribs a thumbs up for that description. When I was just getting back into fragrances I bought this from Marshalls unsniffed. When I first unboxed it and sniffed, my nose hairs were singed. This is only wearable if you live in the Yukon or some wilderness in Oregon. This could have been Paul Bunyons signature scent. I can totally understand anyone 50+ wearing this.

I gave this one to my older brother and he enjoyed it. Every time he came around smelling like this the Danielle Boone theme song would run through my head.

Abyss1001
Abyss1001

Someone told me that this could be a unisex scent...well...as it turns out, I don't like it on men OR women... Smells like you are wearing a pine-tree air freshener...LOL!

tuscany
tuscany

When Halston,Aramis,Azzaro,Oscar de Larent..etc..etc come to mind,talking about the classic juices,those were fragrances for men,manly and so classic..all the other brands that are out now,either for clubs,picking up or trying to impress women,try Holstan,now that will impress a lady,yes so it's old,maybe befor your time,befor my time but just how a guy should smell..

Grottola
Grottola

Z-14 is one of the best fragrances on Earth.

Why? Because it's cheap, it smells just as good as it ever did, oh, and it's a chypre!

Yeah, this is all chypre, all the way. That cool citrus opening over background of resinous woods and moss in the base... that's the magic of a chypre, my friends. It belongs to a class of masculines like Chanel Pour Monsieur and Devin (Aramis) that bring out that macho, resinous chypre in full force.

It's labeled a "cologne", but it's strong and lasting. I heard they once made an Eau de Toilette of this one, I can only imagine what it smells like.

Every guy into fragrances should own a bottle of this, if only for reference.

jtd
jtd

Another in the field of high-quality, dirt-cheap fragrances.

Z-14 is a classic example of hybrid vigor. It is a thunderously harmonious chypre/oriental that shows its dual heritage more as Janus than Jekyll and Hyde. The spicy, ambery ground common to the two genres ties the top and bottom notes, and Z-14 has a church pipe-organ range of harmonies, rumbling lows to keen highs. While it doesn’t smell like Guerlain’s Heritage, Z-14 has a similar feel of a musical chord made up of dozens of notes rather than 4 or 5. (To be fair, if Z-14 plays a church organ, Heritage plays one sized for a cathedral.)

Z-14 starts with a bone-dry citrus/cinnamon/herbal quality. The herbal tone in the top notes feels like dried culinary herbs, as much dusty as savory. As the citrus and herbs recede a hint of wood, particularly cedar, comes to the fore. What’s left by drydown is arguably better than the pipe-organ opening. A harmonious albeit more compact, accord remains: wood, moss, amber. The lemon is gone. The herbs are gone. What’s left, a woody, sweet chypre? A dry oriental? Whatever you call it, it is simultaneously conventionally pretty and handsome. My box of Z-14 lists both oakmoss and treemoss. Maybe the vintage version, with its hybrid chypre/oriental heritage simply never held as large a dose of oakmoss as the grim, green, lovely chypres from the 70s and 80s we mourn. Z-14 smells to me today just as I remember it (though I didn’t wear it) in the 80s and 90s.

jmlab
jmlab

Nadie podría dudar que Z14 es un clásico de la perfumería. Eso tiene su lado bueno y su lado malo: lo positivo, es que cualquiera puede reconocerlo a metros de distancia; lo malo, su aroma hoy resulta anticuado y poco apto para cualquier menor de 45. Si alguien quiere comprarlo, que sea para recordar buenos momentos de los años 70 y 80, no para usarlo

Luforge
Luforge

This is one of the best fragrances that Halston has brought out!.Absolute classic, Very sexy.I get compliments all the time from mature ladys, as this fragrance brings them back down memory lane in the 80s..

fonduta
fonduta

E' stato il mio profumo per anni, perlomeno finchè l'ho trovato in commercio. L'ho sempre trovato ottimo anche se è amarissimo in principio. Avevo la mano santa a trovare il flacone che poi si sarebbe intasato in maniera irrimediabile rendendo del tutto impossibile la fruizione dello stesso. Inoltre dev'essere molto grasso perchè macchia i vestiti. A parte ciò ce ne fossero almeno 10 di profumi così, che pacchia sarebbe.
Davide

greystone
greystone

Halston Z-14 is a masculine scent for a masculine man.I get compliments from women when I wear this fragrance.I enjoy the scent myself.This is a multilayered fragrance and great for a man not afraid to smell like a man.Has a fresh citrus opening and then your introduced to a kalidescope of scents such as leather,cedar,musk and oakmoss.This is a very masculine fragrance,great for night or day wear.One of my favorites.I wear this fragrance often.

shamus1
shamus1

This is where the powerhouse style of the 80s all began. Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui, Quorum, Giorgio for Men, Sung Homme, etc., all trace back to this groundbreaking fragrance. Halston Z-14 and Azzaro Pour Homme together are the godfathers of the power scent.

Though it's been reformulated and is a little bit drier and lighter than it once was, Z-14 is still a great fragrance and a force to be reckoned with. Today's men's designer and niche fragrances don't smell so masculine compared to this macho classic. Z-14 still has the dark, leathery aromatic chypre scent that it always had, only with the richness and projection toned down just a tad. After all, this isn't the Seventies or Eighties anymore - it's no longer cool to wear a cologne that announces your arrival five minutes before you enter a room.

Due to its very low price, easy accessibility and manageable sillage, Z-14 is great for anyone looking to explore the world of old school powerhouse scents for the first time. And of course, among power wearers, this is a classic.

MY RATING: 8/10

twlahue
twlahue

i like it ok,
smells strong and masculine,
my wife hates it, so...

stel15
stel15

Ok people. I really believe that perfumes like Halston Z14, Azzaro pour homme, Farenheit, Grey Flannel and other classics such as these, deserve at least.....respect. I mean, how many of the perfumes that we try today are that original? Most of them are alike and thats a fact. As men we owe to be brave, wear the classics and support these masterpieces with our attitude. Im 39 years old but even years before was loving these smells. Lets be romantic, cause thats what life is all about!!!!

moly
moly

I can agree with Stefan, I miss Vendetta by Valentino for men so much, and Halston Z-14 is really comparable. Really nice on a man, although I find it unisex enough to wear it myself, like I did with Vendetta sometimes many many years ago. It's very warm, slightly sweet chypre fragrance, very enjoyable, perfect for autumn and winter.

pcgnyc
pcgnyc

Please note that Fragrantica has listed the Halston 'Z-14' as being in the Leather family.... BUT WITH THE VERY SAME LIST OF FRAGRANCE NOTES.... as it gives on another page for the Halston 'Z'...which it lists as being a Chypre.

Perhaps this is why there is so much discussion here about how it should be catagorized.

One of my favorite frag. reviewers at Basenotes calls 'Z-14': "A spicy Oriental gourmand grafted onto a bold Chypre foundation".

Pianopolice
Pianopolice

It is very dark. The longevity is not bad, on me lasts for about 4 hours. First I loved it. Then I hated it. Now I think I like it. It is classic and I have to find good occasion for wearing it.

santino
santino

This is what men's perfumery is all about! I sometimes like aqua di gios and polo blues and issey miyakes and their lame, "unisexish" sterile peers. But when it comes to olfactory pleasure, I am a big fan of 70's and 80's powerhouse scents. And this cologne is right there with quorums, grey flannels, azzaro pour hommes, drakkar noirs and all other respectable "manly" fragrances - fragrances with balls. This is what a man should smell like. As for aquatics, I like them a lot in hot summer days or at workplace but frankly, they suit better on my girlfriend. A man should smell little cruder (IMO). Leather, oakmoss, vetiver, patchouli, bergamont,citrus, cumin, tobacco - now we are talking :-) All I am praying is that this one never goes out of production. If I were a female, I would want to make out with a man wearing these type of colognes. Because then, I would be truly assured that he is really a man. Not a boy pretending to be a man.

Roan
Roan

I have heard that this fragrance is very underrated. I can't believe this is true. This perfume deserves to be on the same level as the others. Why it deserves? Because it is good as the others (if not better). Fragrantica classified Z 14 to a leather group, but that is not true. This perfume has a chypre composition. Why is a chypre? Because you can smell the change three times.
In the opening can be felt only lemon that makes it very fresh, citrusy and suitable for summer. The second change brings a wave of woody sweetness dominated by cinnamon and patchouli. And the last change brings the smell of leather mixed with wood. The base reminds me of a mixture of rubber and leather.
Because it is a chypre, it is easy to describe it. As Turin said, the perfume was ahead of its time and I agree with him because he is absolutely right. But the old-fashioned atmosphere can still be felt in the beginning and it reminds me of the ball full of mixture. His durability is good, but the intensity could be much better. Maybe that is just my impression because I have tried it with the much more powerful perfumes.

Francop
Francop

Fantastic stuff...!!!

Can`t believe I have not come it across before...

This is a quality scent which is fresh, masculine, classy and long lasting...!!!

Big thumbs up!!!

karlovonamesti

Z-14 isn't quite as bad as I thought initially. My other bottle might have been a bit too old or something, because this new one I just got smells very good. More citrus, more woods, more moss, less cinnamon. Still, I could do without the cinnamon. But all things considered, a pleasant lemon-woody chypre, which uses the same dessicated lemon note that Grey Flannel is famous for. All things considered, it is a complex "smell" that is actually fairly simple in structure: sleek citrus, perky spice, resinous wood. It's actually heavier on the citrus than you might think it is. If the noses behind it had toned the spices down a notch, I'd call this a full-on citrus chypre, but as it stands it's more of a classic chypre with some seventies-styled proportions. Very dry, a little stark, but altogether handsome.

instantjim
instantjim

I received this fragrance about a month ago and have worn it a number of times since. I bought it after trying it a few times at a chemist store.

It is very uncommon in Western Australia where I live and so I had to drive a long way to sample it. It is still quite expensive here ($25 Aus for 1 oz) so I bought a 4oz bottle for about $30 Aus (including postage). I love ebay!

This fragrance was love at first sniff for me. Rich citrus and herbs open this fragrance. It is sharp and slightly animalistic: like a subdued version of Yatagan (though it actually predates Yatagan by 4 years). Like Yatagan(and for that matter Halston 1-12) it opens with basil.

The opening sweetness gradually gives way to a more bitter heart. It is pungent and rich like wood and cigars. I was sure this had tobacco as a note, but apparently it doesn't. The leather is very pronounced and long lasting.

Towards the end, the bitterness has faded but the wood and leather continues. I like this more than Halston 1-12: it is richer and lasts much longer. It is definitely a winter fragrance.

varondandy
varondandy

fond memories of this fine scent,used it during the fall and winter. if i ever find it i will repeat.

RobbieX
RobbieX

Old school, dark, spicy, citrus, leathery smell at first. Well constructed, I understand its been out for 30 plus years!! - well I just got this and I can smell why it's been around for so long. The drydown is great! it's clean, sweet, soapy and spicy. Long lasting and very masculine - yes an oldie, but goodie - a gorgeous men's scent!

jazz444
jazz444

A scent doesn't last 30+ years by just being average. Z-14 is one of the most immediately recognizable scents to my nose because it is so original. It was one of my scent triad as a teenager (along with Bowling Green and Pierre Cardin Musk), and boy how I loved it. Let it get away from me for years, until I picked up a bottle last year on a whim. Damn--good to have you back in my life!

Lemons and leather and some animalic accords make this a definite night and colder weather wear. I rock it with pride!

ObsessionForMen
ObsessionForMen

Deep boozy leather scent. Strong at first but dries down to release underlying florals and musk. The bottle I use is vintage so not sure how new juice stacks up. Definitely not for the boys. Only for mature men. I do like wearing this on a special occasion evening. Great sillage that only an 80's powerhouse could produce.

Fred Maple-Hill
Fred Maple-Hill

Smells like an old armchair in a bottle- very nice for winter wear.

Glassmeow
Glassmeow

My roommate in college wore this. His mom bought him every trendy cologne that came out in the late 70s/early 80s. I borrowed it from him and always thought it smelled better on a girl - if lightly applied.

ShiseidoTactics
ShiseidoTactics

Por dos decadas casi, fue mi fragancia favorita, pero en los ultimos 15 años, dicha colonia ha desmejorado en calidad. No se porque.

rviacava
rviacava

This is one of my favorites. I don´t care if I smell like an old man.To me HZ14 is the scent of Fall, like a walk in the park all leaves on the ground...a classic!

Captn_Kremen
Captn_Kremen

Very nice masculine for everyday use.

pansylady
pansylady

the best men's cologne... hands-down! I love darlingbud's description of the blood cell-shaped bottle, and the image of the guys on one knee singing "Mammy"-didn't get the association on the latter but loved the description all the same! :)

gucci
gucci

this perfume was very popular in the 90's i still love it it's very manly that's what i love

darlingbuds
darlingbuds

Mmmmmm! I love everything about this fragrance. From its bad-boy associations right down to its cute-as-a-button, dark brown blood-cell shaped bottle. I agree with Knightz that it's probably nicer to wear during the colder season.

Z-14 starts out bold and fresh -- slides right across the stage on one knee singing "Mammy!". Although the top notes listed say bergamot and lemon, those citruses simply add a crispness to the main event, which to me is the cypress.

As it calms down, Z-14 squeezes behind the wheel of the Knight Rider car (KITT?)and cruises along in leathery lasciviousness. Yeah, there are flowers here, but they're the flowers he seduced you with, now tossed into the backseat as. . . . well, I'll spare you the raunchy details. The leather-benzoin ride lasts and lasts until the almost tar-like finish. A good tar -- like Grandpa's Pine Tar soap(marvelous soap!)

Say what you will about its datedness, but I would trample my own mother to get to any guy wearing this within 50 miles of me. It's damned sexy, and as far as I'm concerned, irresistable. I sometimes wear this to bed at night after a shower to maybe provoke some racy dreaming.

Guys: wear it! Call me! ;)

Stefan
Stefan

Compare to Valentino Vendetta. The same thing basically, but the VV is actually sweeter and not as harsh of the senses thoughout the day.

knightz
knightz

I was on the fence about Halston Z-14, and maybe even it's brother Halston 1-12. It seemed I once liked 1-12 better, though. I tried both of them for the first time early this year, when the Spring was starting to warm up into Summer. At that time, the Z-14 smelled just as heavy as it was sour to me. I put it aside, wrist-testing it many times throughout the summer, it always seemed too sour.

Today the weather outside is fully into Fall, cool days, cooler nights, and there have even been a few brief, light snowfalls. I tried the Halston Z-14 again several times this week and, to my complete surprise, it was nice and sweet, spicy, and has some nicely aggressive florals. I'm smelling it now on my wrist and it's almost approaching gourmand. The lightest note of benzoin is detectable. As the dry down softens, the florals fade in and out just as the spices do. What I once thought smelled like cough medicine now bears it's true colors for the Fall Season. A beautiful and complex blend of notes, each and every note contributing to every other note in some way. I love it.

I am amazed at the reversal of senses, based just on the season. I didn't know why I couldn't like a scent that has been around for almost 35 years. No other cologne has ever smelled so different, to me, depending only on the outside temperature. Something else that surprises me is that I liked Halston 1-12 more than Z-14 in the Spring/Summer, and now it's 1-12 that doesn't agree with me this season. These are not only 'try before you buy' scents, but ones that should be tried in different seasons.

A very nice, cool/cold weather scent, excellent for the holidays. Above average projection and average longevity. I will get much use out of this now, if it proves as good through the Winter as it is in the Fall.

Aiona
Aiona

My mother collects minis, and she had about 3 minis of Halston Z-14. So I appropriated one. It would be a shame to let this sit in a bottle unopened because it really does smell nice. It smells like celery seed to me, even though I see no celery seed in the notes listed above. It's distinctive. Not a cool aquatic. Not really a gourmand, despite the celery seed. Just a nice greenish scent.

LuvWarrior
LuvWarrior

Fond memories of 1-12 & Z-14. My first adult job in 1978 (right out of high school) was at a Hudson's dept. store and I purchased both of them. I used to wear both at the same time. I haven't smelled or worn this fragrance since the mid '90s, but remember it as a nice masculine scent, esp. mixed together.