Designers » F-H » Leather « Groups

Halston Z14 Halston for men

Halston Z14 Halston for men
dislike

Halston Z14 Halston for men Pictures

Halston Z14 by Halston is a Leather fragrance for men. Halston Z14 was launched in 1974. Halston Z14 was created by Vincent Marcello and Max Gavarry. Top notes are cypress, gardenia, green notes, basil, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are coriander, patchouli, cinnamon, jasmine, vetiver, cedar and geranium; base notes are leather, tonka bean, amber, musk, benzoin and oakmoss.

Cypress Gardenia Green Notes Basil Bergamot Lemon

Coriander Patchouli Cinnamon Jasmine Vetiver Cedar Geranium

Leather Tonka Bean Amber Musk Benzoin Oakmoss

Italian Cypress

Halston Z14 Fragrance Reviews

Monsieur Aramis
Monsieur Aramis

3,5 from 5 - 92P - Always liked Z-14 for its virile 70ies note. A prototype of men's fragrances in this time, and much superior to I-12, and above all superior to most of nowadays new fragrances. Z-14 simultaneously works fresh and aromatic, but should last a little bit longer and could have some more heart in order to achieve a higher rating. - Indeed, Vendetta (1993) is very very similar to Halston Z-14.

mrmattcat78
mrmattcat78

i like this one its smell alot better than the 1-12 , if your gonna pick a halston , i would go for the z14 , good prices very cheap at tj maxx

Bbjr
Bbjr

Can't add much to what's already been said about this classic fragrance. I came across a vintage splash and it's simply outstanding. In the same vain as quorum and VCA PH. And for a cologne, this stuff lasts like a Parfum. I have more than a few fragrances and this one is in the top 10. Get the vintage stuff.

roll4fun

Following is my evaluation of a reformulated version. (June 2012 batch according to checkcosmetic.com)

I mainly get a cinnamon/lemon bomb for a couple of hours. Not bad really, have actually garnered some compliments, I actually liked it a bit. After about an hour, I pick up a hint of some woody notes (Cypress/Cedar mix ?) and leather/benzoin notes. "Hint" is the operative word here.Going much beyond 2 hours I must practically bury my nose into my arm to detect a scent.

As I don't have any Italian Cypress or "old" version of Z14 for a reference frame, I cannot very well rave or rant about this latest version. I like it enough to occasionally wear. For sure, Z14 is easily obtainable, with Walmart, TJ Maxx group, and most chain drug stores having them for sale at prices south of $20 for a 2.5 oz in some cases. Not too bad bang for $$.

Budman
Budman

For some reason I get Goodfellas flashes in my head when I sniff this. Groomed men driving Lincolns in the 70's. Even the bottle captures that bygone era and would look in place in the homes then, wood paneling and all.

Very similar to Italian Cypress except I get a little lemon in the opening with this one compared to the slightly more refined, but much more expensive, Tom Ford.

I am intrigued by it actually and may give it a sample wear soon.

riffjim4069
riffjim4069

My bottle of Z-14 arrived this morning and I wore it today, and then reapplied some 9-hours later. So what do I think? Well, it is certainly an oakmoss heavy fragrance and I am having a bit of a love/hate relationship with this one: love it because I do envision Italian Cypress smelling just like fragrance, hate it because that prominent oakmoss note reminds me of a number of dated fragrances from the '70s and '80s.

Okay, perhaps love/hate is inaccurate because I don't love it nor do I hate it...it is shades of like. Does it smell like Tom Ford Italian Cypress? I don't know since I've never laid my nose on that fragrance. However, if one were to tell me I was smelling Tom Ford Italian Cypress...I get that out of Halston Z-14.

Some observations: 1) to me, this fragrance screams, "wear me during the winter holidays" because it's not something I enjoy wearing on a warm summer day/night. 2) it's a nice-enough scent (unique, for sure), but there is something a bit synthetic about Z-14 - if you apply too much or breath too deep you'll notice it. 3) I once had a girlfriend who wore Halston Classic for Women and, although it has been a number of years, the Z-14 dry-down reminded me of that fragrance. Mostly good memories.

Although not my favorite kind of scent, it's not bad (will certainly be reaching for this one in November/December) and it projects well and lasts 8+ hours on my skin. Certainly a winner for $10!

mildspicej17u55l
mildspicej17u55l

Words can not express how vile this stuff is. For one thing, I don't have any clue how this stuff isn't discontinued (there are 100 times better stuff that have been discontinued that shouldn't have been) for another,the smell, the packaging just everything is not satisfactory. The only thing that attracted me to this (at first) was the supposed "gardenia" note which is (in my nose) non-existent. Very glad I tested this out because boy would I have been disappointed. Seams like any men's colognes made before 1985 are absolutely nasty. Aramis is another one that I thought might be good because of the supposed "gardenia" note, tested it and sure enough, didn't smell gardenia. Instead I smelled an old man.

IngSoc274
IngSoc274

→→→ Grossly misleading reviews. This is an amazing scent but only lasts an hour. 8 sprays, one hour duration, and very modest projection. Sprayed both clothing and skin, cotton shirts and synthetic, this cologne does not last and statements saying otherwise are 100% false.

After smelling the older and newer versions, I prefer the newer-- the problem is the scent doesn't last long at all, and it's ridiculous to keep reapplying cologne every hour (or less).

1. Smokey cinnamon smell, imagine Big Red chewing gum with incense frosting.

2. Longevity: sprayed 8 times on lower torso (clothing)
A) Projection: 30 minutes.
B) After initial 30 minutes, scent lasted another 1 hour but extremely faint.
C). You, nor anybody else, will detect your cologne.

3. Price: $14.00 for 4.2oz.

Compared to JOOP Homme (as a point of reference)

1. Sweet cinnamon with vanilla. (Dominate scent results like cherry)

2. Longevity: sprayed 2 times on lower torso (clothing)
A) Projection: 10 hours.
B) After initial 10 hours, scent lasted another 20 hours clearly / distinctly.

3. Price: $29.00 for 4.2oz.

FYI: I work at a college in New England and the students never wear z-14 or Joop. Both scents are readily available in United States.

Any suggestions to find a longer lasting z-14 would be very-very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Cochlea
Cochlea

I am a woman, I adore this even though I feel like I should be wearing a chest merkin when I wear this. It is masculine! Its not what I expected but I like it anyway. I smelled Z14 on a woman so I bought this right away. I know I have a different formula because on the lady Z14 was earthy, leather, smoky cinnamonn goodness. Still I am amazed by how I can detect many of the notes. For me, the opening was too sharp with lemon, combined with cinnamon, the lemon softened a little bit, then the herb notes came through shortly after. As the green softened the scent changed into an earthy patchouli and I could smell the sweet amber. At the end the leather is subtle almost like suede. The longevity and sillage are both impressive!

cjas9298
cjas9298

Z-14 (EA formulation) is really well-composed and excellent for daily, year-round use with good diffusion, life span and sillage. It is especially brilliant in hot and humid conditions where it cloaks you wisps of in lemony-woody vapor the entire day.

It is a classic chypre overlaid with a dry lemon-leather accord, with notes of cinnamon, benzoin, coriander, cypress, patchouli, cedar, white musk, violet, anise, clove, lily of the valley and coumarin. Z-14 smells terrific from start to finish.

Z-14 has at least three direct decedents Vendetta Uomo (1991), Je Suis un Homme (2006) and Italian Cypress (2008), proof that it was decades before its time.

To our good fortune, it is very inexpensive.

I now own what I think are four different formulations of this scent, which includes original Halston, French Fragrances, and two by EA. As I said on my blog (before sampling the latest formulation):

"When I sampled the original Z-14 I was struck by how much galbanum ["green notes"?] it seemed to have, and the thought crossed my mind that the names came from two samples being chosen, the twelfth and the fourteenth. I’d further speculate that there was one perfumer, and that he or she was just thinking in terms of variations on a theme, rather than significantly different scents, whereas once the formulating was out of Halston’s hands the two went in significantly different directions."

My conclusion was:

"The EA Z-14 I have seems to emphasize lavender and gardenia, whereas the French Fragrances one is the spiciest and most ambery. The original has the strongest “green notes” but is otherwise the best balanced."

The other day I tried the newest, cinnamon-heavy formulation (just a dab to the ankle). This is really a weird one, sort of like something ELdO would do! Perhaps they would call such a concoction "Disaster at the Candy Factory." Yes, it comes across as at least a bit "synthetic," but it might actually work in a large rotation (as a "change of pace"). After a couple hours or so, you can start to smell something the early formulations, but in a considerably diluted form. I'll have to give it a "regular" wearing and report back at some point.

lomerlaw
lomerlaw

This review is for the most recent version of Halston Z-14: the one which most buyers will now find on their store shelves. Halston's original formulation has garnered praise from reputable reviewers below, and sounds like the classic 70's and 80's "power scents" that I appreciate (think Quorum, Drakkar Noir, Aramis, Gianfranco Ferre for Man, etc.) The new formulation that I purchased can be identified on the bottom label by the "EA Fragrances", signifying that Elizabeth Arden has recently appropriated Halston perfumes.

Unfortunately this new EA version of Z-14 is a huge disappointment, and fails to live up to the expectations and quality of Halston's original creation. It appears that this new EA version has substituted the original's Oakmoss ingredient, and in its place is an overpowering, synthetic cinnamon element which dominates throughout the dry-down stages.

Previously, Z-14 was an elegant and classy scent, consisting of natural ingredients, and which evolved in an interesting and complex manner from top-notes to base-notes. The current version has now morphed into a cloying, obnoxious, linear cinnamon fragrance. Smoky cinnamon? Leathery cinnamon? Perhaps. But primarily it smells synthetic and cheap. To make matters worse, the sillage is fairly heavy, and it lasts forever. So you can smell really lousy for a long time. But hey: it's cheap. For whatever that's worth.

It's sad to discover that classic quality fragrances get discontinued, but it's almost a crime to bastardize the formula for a classic scent into something cheap and unrecognizable. In this case, the latest EA version of Z-14 is exactly that: an almost-criminally bad slandering of a once-proud product.

Sillage: 7/10

Overall score: 2/10

Caveat emptor: "If the Z-14 label says EA, then stay away." Keep looking, on-line or in specialty shops, until you find the original version. That's the one that has earned all the critical praise from the reviewers below.

mef
mef

با همه ی تعریفهایی که از این محصول می کنند برای من یک حالت
ناراحت و خفه کننده دست میده - شاید حساسیت منه به بعضی از محتویات آن

briannyc94
briannyc94

got this one as a teen cause jeff Gordon sponsored it in the early 2000s. pretty mature cologne. not for a teen at all

jburnsm
jburnsm

Sweet lemongrass with Cinnamon undertones very! Soapy reminds me of a fresh shower gel or soap. I don't agree with the majority of people that call this scent "masculine" it could most definitely be unisex. Earthy dry down but still soapy

VikramRajgor
VikramRajgor

Classy, mature, graceful, sober... that's what Z-14 is.

Z-14 is good but don't expect magic, it has been there from last 30+ years and hence nothing new in this fragrance.

It's safe, any male can wear it without bothering about how it will smell.

It doesn't last for entire day, in fact you need 4 to 5 sprays to last it for 4 hours and may be apply it twice a day if you want it to last for 8 hours :-).

craniumbash
craniumbash

This is what barber shops smell like in my country.

kenney77
kenney77

My kind of fragrance very well done amazing opening notes very different but very good

fresh_scents

After purchasing Z14, I still had my doubts about wearing it, because it's not like the fragrances of today. I didn't want to smell like I had been transported back in time. Today I'm enjoying all of the woody and spicy accords. This is very much a cold weather fragrance. Just go REALLY easy on the trigger. HZ14 is a projection monster.

Lucas Kirby Music
Lucas Kirby Music

In Memory of: Halston Z-14 1974 - 2011

I'm sad to say that after reading all the reviews and being fearful of the compromising and, in my mind, demise of a power house and legend of a cologne; it seems that the rumors are true. Z-14, one of my all time favorite scents - one that I can smell and literally go back in time to every memory I had with my father, is not what it used to be, and in more ways than not, is a completely different fragrance.

After ordering 2 bottles, one for myself and one for my father for Christmas, I read a bunch of reviews and articles that Z-14 has had two reformulations since 2010. The first one was still very close to the original, but leaving out most the oak moss and replacing it with tree moss instead. And the second reformulation some time in 2011 has no moss in it whatsoever. I was hoping that, even if there was a reformulation, that my nose would not be able to tell the difference, or that perhaps it would still be enjoyable.

Well, the rumors were true. I received the fragrances today (I even purchased Halston 1-12, which literally smells like a bar of soap). Now, Z-14 is just a fragrance that smells of strong cinnamon all the way through. It's not as long lasting and the sillage doesn't seem to be as good either. After the dry down, I smelled my arm, and, in all fairness, there were slightly similar notes to the old stuff, but whatever they were, were faint at best. So, I got out my old bottle that I've had before the reformulation, and sure enough - they're completely different. That oak moss in the old bottle really mellows the scent down and brings out all the goodness that makes Halston Z 14 what it once was.

The best way to describe my thoughts on what this new version smells like: Take a finely made milk shake, beer, wine, etc. remove it's key ingredient, then pour half of the liquid out and replace it with water. That, to me, is the new Halston Z14. If it were any other fragrance, I really wouldn't be so bummed out. But, this is a fragrance that I could smell and it would literally take me back to so many cherished memories from my childhood.

I hope this silly fiasco with Oak Moss and the IFRA goes away so perfumers can start making these classic scents again without having to dance around their creations. I'd rather have Halston completely discontinued than to try to "indoctrinate" others nostrils into thinking that this is what Halston Z14 actually smells like.

I'm glad I have my old bottle, but it's only got maybe 10 wearings left. I think I"ll just keep it for a keepsake and move on I suppose.

Hope this was helpful. If you perhaps like this fragrance the way it is, just know that it used to be heavy hitter with major class.

calyx93
calyx93

Very underrated, classic chypre - the structure is quite apparent - sort of a chameleon really. Wearable year 'round IMO.

A lemony, cinnamon-infused masculine Mitsouko ... sort of.

timoroso
timoroso

This is a suggestive smell. My admittedly untrained nose says that more than any individual notes Z-14 just smells like itself. It is an image.

It is a bit smoky, so for some it might evoke a shisha blend. But for me it is an Italian amaro with dozens of different herbs in the recipe, concentrated and made into a perfume.

Obviously this is a product for the hedonist, and is compatible with smoking, drinking and other pleasant after-dinner activities. It stains clothes? Life tends to do that.

Laure_lei
Laure_lei

The reviews lauding the maleness of Halston Z14 make me giggle. It's been a fave of mine for years, and my 14yo daughter loves and wears it too. Go easy (not a full spray) and wow EVERYBODY, male and female alike. If you can talk your cuddle partner into wearing it, prepare to conduct the evening with your nose buried in their neck. If pheromones had a scent, they would smell like Z14. Sillage can be a little much when fresh, but everything after that is pure gold. Leathery, spicy, cuddly cologne gold. Longevity can't be matched.

Labaloo

Jeff P.: This one is a "powerhouse", meaning that it was born in a period of combining classic olfactory accords/fragrance-families into sometimes quite-complex, new creations. 'Z-14' could be called an "aromatic fougere-chypre", with wood and leather facets, as well as oriental modifiers. I don't like the classification of this one as "leather" either: I personally reserve that for fragrances with a prominent note of castoreum/birch tar in the base; this one is dominated by oakmoss (the original vintage, at least) which forms the bridge between fougere and chypre.

lovetribe
lovetribe

pure man!!!!!what a sillage and longevity!!!!!12 hours!!!!

arzacu
arzacu

I love classic fragrances, but I think this one mmm... maybe I have to give it time to wear it, to me smells just like lemon and woods with leather, not so complex and the gardenia it's not noticeable.

It was a gift so I think it's just a question of time, I'll keep it in my wardrobe.

gfelton505
gfelton505

Wore it in the 80s. Bought it recently for my 14 year old son as an alternative to the expensive things the Sephora Sirens spray on him, that tempt him, forcing me to tie him to some inanimate mast-like object in the mall until their song fades. He likes it, and lo and behold, I still like it. Very simple sweet cinnamon up front, with the floral gardenia noticeable. Settles in to something more like pine (cypress?). By late afternoon it's still there. Tangy citrusy pine and herbal wood. Not super complex but whudduyuh want for $12? It has its place as an everyday "I don't want to overthink it" scent. My son and his Spice Bomb addicted friend like it too.

Castor

Jeff P; don't rely on classifications. They are mostly BS, constructs in order to lead aficionados and laypeople on how they are like; it ends up not having much to do with reality. Thus, two very similar scents can be classified as different, or better, belonging to different families.

IMHO, the best way to sort this out is through extensive smelling training (that will allow you to identify notes) and aplying common sense when comparing scents.

Jeff P
Jeff P

Does anyone know how to submit a change request to the admins? Halston Z-14 is listed as a LEATHER in groups. But it seems to me as it is so similar to TF Italian Cypress shouldn't it be in the WOODY AROMATIC group? Also, am new to site so if this was not proper place for this sorry.

roll4fun

See "guest" BOGO review below for mine- my log in must have timed out, or something.

Took the "BOGO" plunge late Aug. I now have a solid supply of my "change of pace, for the hell of it" fragrance. I like it, but recognize that its not for certain occasions.(Don't wear to job interview, maybe wear on dress casual Friday, definitely wear on at least some freewheeling social occasions.)
What is Z14 like? Well, think of asking the bartender for a potent drink who pours a double shot of several ingredients to give you one helluva potent drink. You can't quite tell what is in there, but you know it is strong, and that you're liking it.
On Z14, I smell something that resembles lemon, bergamont,and various woodsy notes. I can't quite pinpoint them, only that it is one awesome mix. On my initial wrist test in summer, I got 8 hours longevity. On recent 60 degree day, managed 6 hours.
At about the 3 hour point, I started picking up leather notes. Quandary: Was it as in a leather jacket,or an old lady's purse kind of leather ? One slight downside is a slight hint of lady fragrance here- it seems that frags heavy in benzoin are perceived that way by me. But not so much here, it must have been a guy in a leather jacket behind an old lady in line at the bank. Leather jacket wins, Z14 wins for a spot in my rotation!

Demetrius
Demetrius

Very nice and classy. I love to layer this one with other fragrances...

jotalopez
jotalopez

Actually, it was launched in 1976 along with its twin brother 1-12. I used to love this fragrance but not anymore. Now I find it outdated and it seems to me it doesn't get along with my skin nowadays. I'm almost sure it was recently reformulated as I have not been able to smell those fantastic basil and orange blossom accords that made this fragrance a heavy hitter for decades.

aphexacid
aphexacid

I don't quite know what happened to me, but for years i hated this perfume.

Then all of the sudden i smelled Italian Cypress by Tom Ford, and it made me smirk.

I knew that it smelled like Z14, thats undeniable. Almost identical. But the TF had something that made it smoother.

So now of course i had to go out and find Z14 so i could directly compare. The bottle that i bought smelled NOTHING like i remember.

A google search revealed that they have removed Oak Moss from Z14 due to IFRA regulations.

This really changed the ways it smells completely. Even for someone like me that has never worn it.

So of course now i had to buy a 'vintage' bottle. This required more research. A bottle was located without much fuss. Oak Moss included.

When the bottle arrived, i did something i never thought i would. I sprayed Z14 on my skin.
AH yes! Thats it! HOW am i actually liking this now??

On my other arm i sprayed the Tom Ford. And you know what? I swear to you its not as interesting as Z14!

The TF is TOO smooth. TOO tame. Which is fine if thats what you like. But Z14 is one of those perfumes that is supposed to PUNCH you in the face.

The TF is also missing something. I'm thinking its the leather. Because Z14 really has a certain backbone that TF does not.

Do yourself a favor and track down a bottle of the Oak Moss version!

Mr.Bobby.N
Mr.Bobby.N

Preface... This is just my opinion...

It's definitely not for me. My senses hate it, and no one that i know that's smelt it (especially females) likes it at all. They often recoil and their face screws up like I just said something insulting... but I didn't... the scent spoke.

I know that for a particular nose, it's the unique scent that they've been waiting for, but not my nose. I can appreciate it's boldness and unique smell (it's very different from most things out there), but I often joke that I'll spray Halston-Z14 on when I want to break up with a girlfriend, because I probably won't need to utter a word to achieve my goal.

Works every time :)

---------------------------------------------
SILLAGE: good
LONGEVITY: good
SMELL: Poor
VALUE FOR MONEY: average

OVERALL: 3/10
---------------------------------------------

Art2112
Art2112

Lol RedBeard, but how do you really feel about it ??? JK :)) I gotta give this one a shot...its been around forever for a good reason !

Redbeard
Redbeard

Some notes of this reminded me of other spicy herbal brands that I like, but I feel slightly embarrassed to smell like this in public. I get a lot of lemon in Z-14 that seems over-the-top and tacky to me, like a spray of lemon funiture polish on top of a better cologne (probably Bel Ami). The combination becomes very cola-like to me after a while, and I don't like colas, so there's an unavoidable and unpleasant food connection for me. It smells 70s-ish in a way that I don't like, and makes me feel sleazy, like a stubbly fat guy wearing gold chains and a dirty jogging suit (Carl, the middle aged guy on Aqua Teen Hunger Force!). Others (Paco Rabanne, Pierre Cardin, Grey Flannel) smell 70s-ish in a way that I can still take them seriously and like them.

IMsooKool4Real
IMsooKool4Real

Z14 = Inside an abandoned apothecary hut in a forgotten jungle

This is a 100% masculine fragrance that smells 100% BEAUTIFUL on a woman. I have had this cologne for years and enjoy it a great deal. I have never thought of it as something a woman would dare to wear.

BUT yesterday I smelled this on a young lady and I was absolutely mesmerized. There is something so natural about this fragrance on a woman. It is confident and comes off very fresh, deep and spice saturated. I couldn't get enough and just had to ask her what she was wearing. I was a bit shocked when she told me it was Z-14. She said the spices, earthiness and subtle creamy leather made it very sensual & unisex for her. She was absolutely right.

As I mentioned this is definitely a masculine cologne but as I discovered yesterday it magically transforms into something beautifully earthy and spicy on a woman and takes on a whole different character.

Ladies if you get a chance - test this on your skin! You will not be disappointed.
Gentlemen, this is a great cologne. Period.

Ben's Aldehyde
Ben's Aldehyde

I found the dusty, peculiarly shaped brown bottle in a forgotten corner of my in-laws' house, still exuding a trace of something dark and mysterious. Curious, I spritzed myself…

Wow. The first whiff of the stuff was like being assaulted by some manic barber intent on smothering everyone with shaving lather. Spiced shaving soap times a gajillion. But soon after, the fragrance became deeply and delightfully woodsy.

Once the chaos of barber-ian attack subsided, I was left in peace to amble through sweet cedar groves, feeling red roots and springy loam underfoot, returning at last to a snug cabin to warm myself before a sweet-smelling fire. I was in love. Much to my delight, my mother-in-law let me take the bottle with me.

The coriander restrains the sweetness of the cinnamon and adds a resinous lift, creating a combined impression of fresh, woodsy spiciness. The oakmoss in here is magnificent, deepening the forest and lingering with that tweed-and-tobacco feel. As the fragrance fades, a whiff of smoke -- and something faintly honeyed, but not sweet -- remains.

Aside from the pungent initial blast, this fragrance is quite smooth, and is to me a perfect balance of dry and sweet. I love the way it smells on me, even though I'm a woman. More importantly, my husband loves the way it smells on me.

Halston Z14 must have been my father-in-law's fragrance. I never got a chance to meet him -- he died a few years before I met my husband. He was a rugged outdoorsman, and by all accounts a kindly, respectable man. I think this scent must have suited him well.

(This review is based on an older bottle.)

georgequeue
georgequeue

Despite being a bit strong (when first sprayed) and dated, this fragrance is really nice; the drydown is simply great!

I own a 125 ml. bottle, and I enjoy wearing it. To me, Halston Z-14 is still just as good as it used to be when I first smelled it in the late 80's. Definitely, a spicy woodsy classic.

Cheers!

Cassiano
Cassiano

This one was released in 1976. Obviously, a cologne does not survive for so many years without managing to keep active sales. Even more in a mutante market such as the perfumery, in which we see colognes that are "younger" being discontinued for no apparent reason.

Anyway, there is much talk about reformulations in this fragrance - which is common as well – although I have a lot of curiosity about the first version, which should be a masterpiece, as well as the classics of the era.
The difference, in my point of view, is that this cologne, although being "old", does not have the dated aroma that exists, for example, in Paco Rabanne pour Homme. Here, we have the "classic" scent, but with the quality of a timeless fragrance. And this is the most interesting because this one has been compared to Tom Ford Italian Cypress, which is more recent (2008) and infinitely more expensive, which reinforces the theory that "nothing is created, everything is copied", especially when it comes to perfumes.

The fragrance is composed by cypress, basil, bergamot, lemon and gardenia in the output. In the heart, coriander, geranium, cinnamon, patchouli, jasmine, vetiver and cedar. At the base, to finish this complex and rich composition, the notes of oakmoss, tonka bean, musk, benzoin, amber and leather.

The result is a scent with a citrus and rasp opening, with a nice note of bergamot combined with the cypress that, after a while, it is embraced by cinnamon and woods bringing, finally, the density of the moss with the dryness of the leather, slightly mitigated by the creaminess of the amber and benzoin.

For those who like scents as Eau Sauvage or Boucheron, but want the citric tone remains less aggressive and classiest, this one is a great option. A pity that the reformulations made its projection lower, but the lasting is still is very good. Beautiful scent!

idressyou
idressyou

This was the rebel scent for gen X girls towards the end of high school... in line with black leggings under thrashed 501s, Doc Martens, black eyeliner & your ex's favorite Pendleton. Clouds of clove cigarettes, skunk weed, stale beer, cigarettes and Z-14 filled your lungs at every unwitting parents' house party, club and rave in the late eighties.

I wore it myself, back then... I think more as a snub to the stereotypical ideas of what a girl should be, wear, do, dress, etc... that was projected by mass market media... and I do mean mass-ively projected. This was the era of skyscraper billboards at every corner with
the mannequin-posed supermodel of the week, wearing the trend of the week, selling the designer of the week. It was also the era of a movement raging against the machine.

I've lived both sides of the fence, but am comfortable enough in my own skin, thoughts and feelings now, to know balance is the key. All that said, I do have a sentimental association with Z-14, and may get an urge to hyper-stimulate those fond old memories one day. I'll track down a vintage on Ebay, if the occasion arises. For now, they are at a comfortable low hum in my heart and mind.

fragrantpete.
fragrantpete.

I do get the cinnamon...but it is balanced by an earthy smokiness that appeals to me a lot. Delicious.
I am wearing it on a hot day in England ( yes really ) and it is floating around me in the warm air..

mustafa24
mustafa24

the smell of cinammon is the most prominant, and the one which i can easily recognize, the cinammon notes is then overtaken by the leather/woody notes after a few hours. overall very distinct fragrance, lasts 5-6 hours, sillage 2-3 hours.

StargazySkye
StargazySkye

Yes, I'm a hetero female and I wear Z-14, although often with something else, often original Hanae Mori mens cologne. I almost feel I have to do two sets of answers. The original scent of Z-14 changes so dramatically after 20 minutes and I cannot stand it when I first put it on. Then the annoying level of citrus fades, and you can smell the woods and flowers more. I don't smell the cinnamon as much as others seem to, but cedar, cypress, patchouli, vetiver and amber come through. I can also smell the geranium, which I love. I've been giving Z-14 to lovers since the late 70s, and it still gives me that zing. Maybe that's why I started wearing it myself.

GIMP
GIMP

This was my first disco experience. Halston was all about sex(gay) drugs(cocaine) and disco dancing that this was my first bottle of perfume I bought for myself. I was a midwestern farmboy that made a dash for the big city of St Louis and later Chicago. Hey, the 1970s was a perfect time to come of age and "out" with. Halston was one of the best things to wear with that feathered hair and that "macho man" look.

It was dark, smokey and ever so sexy on me. I always felt like I was wearing holy water or something. I had a cute face, so I was an easy catch. Or was it my Z-14? Sorry ladies, guys were all over this guy in the day.

Times were so much more different in those early days. Marriage was out of the question and assimilation-forget it! Now everything seems so dull. I am so glad I kept my old bottles of cologne, vinyl records and paperback novels. Only the good die young-RIP Mr Halston!

Jaakiem
Jaakiem

I kind of like the leather this is going to, but the sharp and metallic beginning is just horrid. I wore Geranium pour monsieur today and I get some geranium from this too. Then there is some nice patchouli and leather.

Unfortunately the overall impression is thin and cheap smelling. Well, it is really cheap, so maybe one shouldn't expect more. My bottle is probably one of those more current ones. It has treemoss in it, but no oakmoss.

Edit. I just couldn't leave it be. I got chance to buy couple years older bottle and took it. I just put it on my skin and I can already say that this is very different story. Older Z-14 starts smokier and without any sharpness. If this were blind test I'm not sure I would have recognized it. Sometimes all the talk about reformulations sounds like exaggeration, but it apparently isn't.

This smells very good, but not as good as my favorite leather. Maybe I should look for even older bottle of this if that should do the trick?

8+/10

antoneux
antoneux

I wanted to like it but in the end I just couldn't. I don't hate it, I can appreciate it but I don't think I can wear it. I feel like my body chemistry would not like it. As well as the people around me. When I tested it my friend whom I was shopping with could not stand the scent. He said it was awful. I didn't even spray much on me, just a half spray on my wrist. I think the note the bothers me is the cinnamon. I am not a fan of cinnamon scents. I still admire the beautiful bottle though, and I wonder what a vintage formulation would smell like.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Oh, this is wonderful stuff, even reformulated. (I bought the treemoss cologne version at Ross for only $17!)

It's exactly the kind of scent I was looking for: deep, heady, aromatic and masculine. No sweetness, no flowers... nothing fresh, sporty or blue about this. I primarily detect the moss and pine notes, with some leather and cinnamon thrown in for good measure. (On me it does NOT smell like Big Red - not at all.) When you first spray it on it's an exceedingly heady, complex mix that dries down very nicely.

It's certainly not a young guy's scent - this is a mature man's cologne. I suppose it is evocative of the Seventies, but I don't care. A well-wrought classic is a classic, and this is a classic.

And yes, amazingly, when it has dried it smells a lot like Tom Ford's Italian Cypress ($200).

Halston Z-14: It sounds like a plot device in a spy film, but it's a great scent for men at an amazing price.

---

Smells like Mister Blass? Never! This is *far* more complex than Mister Blass and has notes MB does not have...

----

UPDATE: "I'd like to get a hold of a vintage bottle; with the IFRA-banned oakmoss. This must have been killer."

I did! I got a bottle of the French-manufactured stuff on e-Bay for a song and it arrived today. The bottle is different in that it has an extension on the cap with the spray nozzle. I did a quick side by side wearing; current USA formulation on my right arm, vintage French on the left.

My first take is that the vintage stuff smells like serious perfumery. There's a note that I don't think I've encountered in that form yet. It's deep and strong. A dirty leathery smell, perhaps? It's bolder. Compared to it the current stuff dries in a less complicated, somewhat more modern fashion - cinnamon and cypress. (In warm weather it seems more cinnamon than cypress on me. I distinctly recall it drying down more cypress when I first bought it in February.)

In the vintage there is a Mitsouko resemblance... it's dry and just a little bit off-putting.

Before I say which one I really prefer I'm going to wear the vintage all day in my usual test. I will say, however, that the current stuff does smell more like modern style fragrances. It's lighter, less dirty. The vintage has a somewhat alarming and more deeply pungent note that is entirely missing in the current stuff.

But here's the weird thing! I tried some vintage Z-14 in Richmond, VA and it's different yet. It's certainly not current and it isn't this French mix, either. It has an initial oakmoss blast that is absent from both.

Odd!

But this vintage brew is wonderful. It doesn't smell modern at all!

pronose
pronose

a legendary colgne of the 70's! so unique and sexy and lasting! never been paired since.

reddishmango
reddishmango

okay i got this fragrance as a gift when i was about maybe 12..i don't know what the heck my aunt was thinking. i am absolutely scared by this fragrances and haven't smelled it in over 7 years i remember this being very harsh, spicy, kinda salty and hit of pepper..now it may have been my very immature nose but i cant ever see myself paying for this nor even using it as a last resort no offense just not me

randy.devost1
randy.devost1

I agree with the comments about it being: retro, American, 70s, and masculine. The cinnamon sometimes wafts sweet like Ceylon, and other times a little warmer like Cassia. Every time I take a whiff, I get the urge to eat fresh pie dough. There's something appetizing about it.

RUDOLFO512
RUDOLFO512

Wow! This cologne brings me back to the "disco" days way back in the 70's. I got this last year as a birthday present. I put it on today and it brought back so many memories. It is very crisp, fresh and masculine scent.

Thatkid
Thatkid

My grandfather wore this until his death and now my little brother wears this and it smells so awesome. I have considered buying this for my boyfriend but he doesn't like cologne

bailarina
bailarina

I just smelled it today, and it does not smell bad at all, it just smells cinnamonny. I would give it to my father, but not my husband. The reason being I don't feel atracted to the scent. I just think is nice and fatherly, but I think anyone can wear it.

I have never smell this before that day I bought it (and returned), and my dad did not used to wear it or anything like that, but "It smells like daddy" :) somehow.
I love it on fatherly figure men

jezzey
jezzey

I like it, wife hates it. I guess that means I won't be buying a large bottle. It is a mature, masculine, musky scent. One of those colognes that once you wear it, you will realize you have smelled it many times throughout your life. The most impressive thing about this scent is that while, strong and musky, its sillage is fair to moderate (something most people would consider a pro). I would recommend to anyone wanting (with a wife wanting) a vintage, musky, scent.

Descartes
Descartes

This is a terrible mess from the beginning to the end. The opening is an herbal blast of alcohol and the dry down is fruit rouges, labdanum and cinnamon but it feels there is too much of everything in there. I got headache every time I sprayed. Jack Daniels with Fanta Lemon.

aucffan1
aucffan1

I have loved and used this for 30 years.. Always can find some reason to wear it..

Yan9
Yan9

Z14 really has class of its own.The woods in this cologne are deep and intruiging. Top notes smoothly give way to woods and leather. The transition of the top to base notes makes me feel this is a chypre rather than leather.

Projection is very good or may be excellent and longevity is Great. I think this is a must try.

Price is very reasonble.

Go for it.

AbBlue
AbBlue

You can read this about so many scents: "It's smell like Christmas to me", maybe it's necessary to mention where. I'm in Mexico City and Z14 smell like Christmas to me. I find it hard to understand how this magnificent composition is not in people taste anymore... maybe that's not true and for some people it's only a matter of fashion. I was waiting for a cold day and it seems that finally has arrived, I'm wearing Z14 and will be back to this review to tell about what I've found about people's taste. About the notes, well, there are great reviews before this one.
***
Puedes leer esto sobre muchas fragancias: "para mí, huele a navidad", quizá sea necesario mencionar dónde. Estoy en la Ciudad de México y Z14 huele a navidad para mí. Encuentro difícil de entender cómo esta magnífica composición ya no está en el gusto de la gente... quizá no es así y para algunas personas, es sólo una cuestión de moda. Estuve esperando un día frío y parece que finalmente llegó, estoy usando Z14 y volveré a este comentario para contar sobre lo que descubra acerca del gusto de la gente. Sobre las notas, bueno, hay comentarios geniales antes de este.

babak125
babak125

وای عجب بوی دیوانه کننده ای داره.غیر از نت ابتدایی مرکباتی اش در روایح میانی و پایه مشابهت های زیادی با عطر سگنیچر بوگارت داره.یه کار کلاسیک مرکباتی - چرمی جالب

fresh_scents

I'm going into my second day of wearing Z14, and I am loving it. Halston's Z14 has a strong spicy top note that transforms to a very mild dry down. There is no mistaking this for a unisex fragrance at all. It is a men's fragrance without a doubt. There are other fragrances, I'm sure, that have its same accords/notes but $18 for a 125ml bottle supports most spending limitations on fragrances. Try it.

dkny27
dkny27

Deep, woodsy, leathery, classy and mature... It's a classic. Not your younger generations scent, but it IS timeless. I don't smell it too often but when I pick it up on a man, it is distinctly associated with good taste.

SilverFire
SilverFire

Goes on sharp, and then becomes sweet, like the sweetest root beer ever, a sweet root kind of aroma, and then tacs back to the original smell that's like a licorice alcohol. It is not barbershop, I don't think, but it does smell mature, manly, gummy (like postage stamps), and I could swear that I've smelled this before. It does have a vibe of something older, like what my grandfather on my dad's side would wear, a drug-store vibe. It's not bad, though as a 40-year old guy, it's not my era; the scent itself is fine and definitely manly. As it continues, you can smell more of the alcohol/musk/oil part to it.

I bought this a mini in 2012, so this review is most likely for the latest formulation.

fuggerone
fuggerone

elegance in a bottle smell of old 70's days and everything was full of promises

StoneysTattoo
StoneysTattoo

Probaly one of the best colones I have used in years.

tastetherainbow87
tastetherainbow87

My thing is if you like it wear it but I pass because I really don't like it

fresh_scents

I just bought this while looking for another vintage fragrance. I wasn't too sure if I had made the right decision, but I am very glad that I did. Not bad for $18 of a 125 ml/4.2 oz bottle. On my skin it projects well and is a delight for the senses (very spicy). Caution: It's a projection monster so go easy on the trigger.

jennifer60656
jennifer60656

@ NHIndian24:

You ask if something is acceptable to wear as a younger person, guess what? Fragrance is a state of mind, perception, and attitude. It is NOT a chronological age, although many people do talk about "old lady" or "old man" scents as if that is something to be ashamed. Let those people talk! And wear the latest but not greatest.

Let your nose be your guide - if you love Z-14, and I completely agree with you on that; it is awesome and I love it too (if you like the leathers give Aramis a try)then wear it!

I see you like Drakkar and Polo as well. Good for you. There is over a century of wonderful scents to discover. Don't worry about what your friends wear. Wear what you like and rock it!

NHIndian24
NHIndian24

I love this cologne, it's woody, leathery, and spicy. It lasts all day and projects to about 4-5 feet. But does anyone here think that a high schooler could wear it? I smelled it and immediately loved it, but I'm not sure if anyone would consider this as a dated,m or older man smelling cologne, any thoughts?

James Lewis
James Lewis

This is a great masculine cologne!I love to wear this when I go out in the winter time,I feel that it makes a statement that Im a man and I smell Like a man and if you dont like it,I dont care because Im a man!

ericrico
ericrico

I sought out a Vintage bottle of Z-14 After Shave recently from a trusted seller that I know...and it brought me back! The old-school, retro bottle with a screw on cap (a perfect thimble to dispense the desired amount of magical, vintage juice into) is just perfect!

What krmarich and Grottola, as well as jtd and K1 get from this is what I get - wonderful and timeless scent! The opening of citrus with integrated herbs and fresh-ground cinnamon takes me back to my youth. My oh my...where has time gone? Time has stood still in this bottle and I am thankful for that. While our planet spins on a tilted axis, so does this bottle of juice in its flacon. It is not a "straight-up" composition. This is a chypre, Grottola...you are correct. With it brilliant aromatics, I would have to call it a "Spicy Leather Chypre" just to categorize Z-14 a bit more apropos. However, I would rather just splash it on and feel like a man! There is no note in this that is off-putting to me. The blend is seamless. Price tag is insignificant. You are buying the bull's balls when you get Vintage Z-14...this is meant for men, not boys.

I recently acquired a Vintage bottle of 1-12 as well (which is a bottle of heavenly oakmoss-laden greenness - a forest in a bottle)! This has the spices and leather that 1-12 steers clear of. I am not going to compare and contrast the two scents. I love both. Each is fantastic on their own merit. Vintage Halston bottles of these two landmark fragrances are absolutely worth seeking out!

The strength of the Vintage After Shave is that of a Eau de Cologne (not quite EdT), but it wears wonderfully and projects very well. Oakmoss, amber, musk, tonka bean and the key base note of leather allow the entire chypre composition on top to present itself, vividly. I love the blend of the spices with the green/herbal notes (including the patchouli in the heart). Great interplay between notes - but I rather not over-think this one. Along with the leather and warm base, there is simply no other fragrance like it. Once you have worn Vintage Z-14, you now have an understanding of what a benchmark masculine scent should smell like. Put away the castrated juice of today and enjoy what this has to offer in its true form.

Not seasonal for me. Only the dog days of summer would this be something I would shy away from - but still definitely consider for evenings after a relaxing shower (like tonight). Cooler weather is associated with this, but I think a chypre (even one as spicy and leathery as this) can be worn virtually whenever. A point to ponder: Is there anything more macho than splashing on Z-14 after a nice workout and shower for an evening out (or staying in for intimacy)?

I don't think one can say this smells dated, unless they associate bold masculinity with another generation...Z-14, welcome back old friend.

**UPDATE** - I just picked up a Vintage splash bottle that was perfectly cared for. It was made by Halston Fragrances (there is no mention of EA on the sticker) - the batch code tells me it is older. Not large, but enough (60ml/2oz) of wonderful, rich Z-14 in its true form - preserved by its original owner who never used it. I will wear this with attitude & swagger - and the last thing on my mind will be that I smell "dated". The wonderful thing about masculinity is that it never goes out of style...great stuff!

krmarich
krmarich

I discovered a vintage splash for under $10. USDs. I remember having a bottle of this in 1977 and wearing it to see Star Wars! It was one of my firsts and the flood of memories it brings up are great. This wasnt teenage body spray. It ranked right up there with the finest Aramis top shelves. I think I paid less than $5. for it. Thats a steal for this rich, masculine chypre. I love feeling the bottle in my hands-Halston was brilliant in the 1970s!

It has a smokey, hazy richness that made me feel warm. I was clueless about the notes in the 1970s, yet loved that rich potent "woodiness" that I would later discover was chypre. This was a leather chypre that worked best on winter nights, like ancient temple smoke. In the summer it is pure campfire smoke.

I am somewhat surprised by its comparison to other more expensive fragrances. It was always about $7.99 a bottle. In its time it was everywhere-Studio 54, roller skating rinks (Oh, the wake that trailed me!) and malls across America. Sideburns and feathered hair go well with this. Its pure Americana, built for speed. Ah, what a designer could do then...

Enter EA Fragrance, Jeff Gordon and the sythetic plastic reformulation. Another icon is smashed. Star Wars is from the 1970s, its still cool, and so is Z-14. Before you pass judgement, find a vintage bottle to experience its virility. They are out there and worth every penny(or more)!!!

srimati
srimati

I rescued this one from a friend who was going to throw it away because he prefers sweeter frangances for men. I smelled it and like it. My first impression was; very woody, then spice with some citrus. Very simple but catching. Definitely for men. Going to give it to someone who has appreciation for it.

mrluctoretemergo
mrluctoretemergo

how about this ? Halston Z-14 can be considered (although far from the eldest)as a godfather of how a MAN should smell...CLEAN...FRESH...STRONG...I'm sorry but if you don't like this (as a MAN) ...you got 2be from outta space.

BE A MAN WEAR HALSTON Z-14 !:o)

word-doctor
word-doctor

Have worn this off and on for years. Probably dated, though that isn't something I consider one way or another. It's woody and leathery, with minimal citrus. I do think it dries down well and has decent projection and longevity. Wife likes it on me. It's not a young or sporty fragrance at all.

Edit: Bought a bottle the other day for the first time in several years. It's just ok. A little watery and a little too much cinnamon. I doubt it's changed--I think I've tried some better frags recently that have put this down on my list.

EDITX2: No, it HAS changed. Have read the sad saga and I'm sure I have a post 2011 reformulation. Apparently it's worth seeking out Jeff Gordon sets from a few years back. Will score it when I score it.

EDITX3: Will not attempt to score it. Why should I try to figure out how old Jeff Gordon was when a particular bottle was made? Current bottle relegated to dumping in the window AC to add a Big Red note to the living room on hot days.

Labaloo

The scent of this one brings me back: it was always stylish young men in crisp haircuts and long overcoats that wore this- glorious days they were. It reminds me of shopping and then afterward walking a block away to sit in a particular, local cafe in the evening to sip, chat and listen to jazz. The warm cinnamon in Z-14 is the easiest way to differentiate it from Polo (which too many at the time wore and few could pull off with ease), and it's bouquet inches a bit toward androgyny- a dominant woman could well pull this one off, methinks.

Odiee99
Odiee99

I had to give Scribs a thumbs up for that description. When I was just getting back into fragrances I bought this from Marshalls unsniffed. When I first unboxed it and sniffed, my nose hairs were singed. This is only wearable if you live in the Yukon or some wilderness in Oregon. This could have been Paul Bunyons signature scent. I can totally understand anyone 50+ wearing this.

I gave this one to my older brother and he enjoyed it. Every time he came around smelling like this the Danielle Boone theme song would run through my head.

Abyss1001
Abyss1001

Someone told me that this could be a unisex scent...well...as it turns out, I don't like it on men OR women... Smells like you are wearing a pine-tree air freshener...LOL!

tuscany
tuscany

When Halston,Aramis,Azzaro,Oscar de Larent..etc..etc come to mind,talking about the classic juices,those were fragrances for men,manly and so classic..all the other brands that are out now,either for clubs,picking up or trying to impress women,try Holstan,now that will impress a lady,yes so it's old,maybe befor your time,befor my time but just how a guy should smell..

Grottola
Grottola

Z-14 is one of the best fragrances on Earth.

Why? Because it's cheap, it smells just as good as it ever did, oh, and it's a chypre!

Yeah, this is all chypre, all the way. That cool citrus opening over background of resinous woods and moss in the base... that's the magic of a chypre, my friends. It belongs to a class of masculines like Chanel Pour Monsieur and Devin (Aramis) that bring out that macho, resinous chypre in full force.

It's labeled a "cologne", but it's strong and lasting. I heard they once made an Eau de Toilette of this one, I can only imagine what it smells like.

Every guy into fragrances should own a bottle of this, if only for reference.

jtd
jtd

Another in the field of high-quality, dirt-cheap fragrances.

Z-14 is a classic example of hybrid vigor. It is a thunderously harmonious chypre/oriental that shows its dual heritage more as Janus than Jekyll and Hyde. The spicy, ambery ground common to the two genres ties the top and bottom notes, and Z-14 has a church pipe-organ range of harmonies, rumbling lows to keen highs. While it doesn’t smell like Guerlain’s Heritage, Z-14 has a similar feel of a musical chord made up of dozens of notes rather than 4 or 5. (To be fair, if Z-14 plays a church organ, Heritage plays one sized for a cathedral.)

Z-14 starts with a bone-dry citrus/cinnamon/herbal quality. The herbal tone in the top notes feels like dried culinary herbs, as much dusty as savory. As the citrus and herbs recede a hint of wood, particularly cedar, comes to the fore. What’s left by drydown is arguably better than the pipe-organ opening. A harmonious albeit more compact, accord remains: wood, moss, amber. The lemon is gone. The herbs are gone. What’s left, a woody, sweet chypre? A dry oriental? Whatever you call it, it is simultaneously conventionally pretty and handsome. My box of Z-14 lists both oakmoss and treemoss. Maybe the vintage version, with its hybrid chypre/oriental heritage simply never held as large a dose of oakmoss as the grim, green, lovely chypres from the 70s and 80s we mourn. Z-14 smells to me today just as I remember it (though I didn’t wear it) in the 80s and 90s.

jmlab
jmlab

Nadie podría dudar que Z14 es un clásico de la perfumería. Eso tiene su lado bueno y su lado malo: lo positivo, es que cualquiera puede reconocerlo a metros de distancia; lo malo, su aroma hoy resulta anticuado y poco apto para cualquier menor de 45. Si alguien quiere comprarlo, que sea para recordar buenos momentos de los años 70 y 80, no para usarlo

Luforge
Luforge

This is one of the best fragrances that Halston has brought out!.Absolute classic, Very sexy.I get compliments all the time from mature ladys, as this fragrance brings them back down memory lane in the 80s..

fonduta
fonduta

E' stato il mio profumo per anni, perlomeno finchè l'ho trovato in commercio. L'ho sempre trovato ottimo anche se è amarissimo in principio. Avevo la mano santa a trovare il flacone che poi si sarebbe intasato in maniera irrimediabile rendendo del tutto impossibile la fruizione dello stesso. Inoltre dev'essere molto grasso perchè macchia i vestiti. A parte ciò ce ne fossero almeno 10 di profumi così, che pacchia sarebbe.
Davide

K1
K1

Do not overapply this marvel; it's strong as a monster!
The only word to describe is "high class". This perfume is extremely vintage handsome for a middle aged man in a black formal suit. Strictly official and decent, this perfume brings charisma and self confidence.
Who loves YSL Rive Gauche or Chanel Aventus, admire the perfume because of it's immensely herbal and fresh leathery mood.
Reminds me Dior Eau Sauvage too, the coriander tone is so bold among fresh vintage citrus.
There's no hint of modernism in it, all it present is a exact clue of 70's official memo.
Dark, leathery, aromatic, luxe, manly and charming.
One of the best leather ones out there.

Longevity: lasts perfectly strong on both skin and textile
Projection: it's impossible for a green dark scent like this to spread poor!

greystone
greystone

Halston Z-14 is a masculine scent for a masculine man.I get compliments from women when I wear this fragrance.I enjoy the scent myself.This is a multilayered fragrance and great for a man not afraid to smell like a man.Has a fresh citrus opening and then your introduced to a kalidescope of scents such as leather,cedar,musk and oakmoss.This is a very masculine fragrance,great for night or day wear.One of my favorites.I wear this fragrance often.

shamus1
shamus1

This is where the powerhouse style of the 80s all began. Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui, Quorum, Giorgio for Men, Sung Homme, etc., all trace back to this groundbreaking fragrance. Halston Z-14 and Azzaro Pour Homme together are the godfathers of the power scent.

Though it's been reformulated and is a little bit drier and lighter than it once was, Z-14 is still a great fragrance and a force to be reckoned with. Today's men's designer and niche fragrances don't smell so masculine compared to this macho classic. Z-14 still has the dark, leathery aromatic chypre scent that it always had, only with the richness and projection toned down just a tad. After all, this isn't the Seventies or Eighties anymore - it's no longer cool to wear a cologne that announces your arrival five minutes before you enter a room.

Due to its very low price, easy accessibility and manageable sillage, Z-14 is great for anyone looking to explore the world of old school powerhouse scents for the first time. And of course, among power wearers, this is a classic.

MY RATING: 8/10

twlahue
twlahue

i like it ok,
smells strong and masculine,
my wife hates it, so...

stel15
stel15

Ok people. I really believe that perfumes like Halston Z14, Azzaro pour homme, Farenheit, Grey Flannel and other classics such as these, deserve at least.....respect. I mean, how many of the perfumes that we try today are that original? Most of them are alike and thats a fact. As men we owe to be brave, wear the classics and support these masterpieces with our attitude. Im 39 years old but even years before was loving these smells. Lets be romantic, cause thats what life is all about!!!!

moly
moly

I can agree with Stefan, I miss Vendetta by Valentino for men so much, and Halston Z-14 is really comparable. Really nice on a man, although I find it unisex enough to wear it myself, like I did with Vendetta sometimes many many years ago. It's very warm, slightly sweet chypre fragrance, very enjoyable, perfect for autumn and winter.

pcgnyc
pcgnyc

Please note that Fragrantica has listed the Halston 'Z-14' as being in the Leather family.... BUT WITH THE VERY SAME LIST OF FRAGRANCE NOTES.... as it gives on another page for the Halston 'Z'...which it lists as being a Chypre.

Perhaps this is why there is so much discussion here about how it should be catagorized.

One of my favorite frag. reviewers at Basenotes calls 'Z-14': "A spicy Oriental gourmand grafted onto a bold Chypre foundation".

Pianopolice
Pianopolice

It is very dark. The longevity is not bad, on me lasts for about 4 hours. First I loved it. Then I hated it. Now I think I like it. It is classic and I have to find good occasion for wearing it.

santino
santino

This is what men's perfumery is all about! I sometimes like aqua di gios and polo blues and issey miyakes and their lame, "unisexish" sterile peers. But when it comes to olfactory pleasure, I am a big fan of 70's and 80's powerhouse scents. And this cologne is right there with quorums, grey flannels, azzaro pour hommes, drakkar noirs and all other respectable "manly" fragrances - fragrances with balls. This is what a man should smell like. As for aquatics, I like them a lot in hot summer days or at workplace but frankly, they suit better on my girlfriend. A man should smell little cruder (IMO). Leather, oakmoss, vetiver, patchouli, bergamont,citrus, cumin, tobacco - now we are talking :-) All I am praying is that this one never goes out of production. If I were a female, I would want to make out with a man wearing these type of colognes. Because then, I would be truly assured that he is really a man. Not a boy pretending to be a man.

Roan
Roan

I have heard that this fragrance is very underrated. I can't believe this is true. This perfume deserves to be on the same level as the others. Why it deserves? Because it is good as the others (if not better). Fragrantica classified Z 14 to a leather group, but that is not true. This perfume has a chypre composition. Why is a chypre? Because you can smell the change three times.
In the opening can be felt only lemon that makes it very fresh, citrusy and suitable for summer. The second change brings a wave of woody sweetness dominated by cinnamon and patchouli. And the last change brings the smell of leather mixed with wood. The base reminds me of a mixture of rubber and leather.
Because it is a chypre, it is easy to describe it. As Turin said, the perfume was ahead of its time and I agree with him because he is absolutely right. But the old-fashioned atmosphere can still be felt in the beginning and it reminds me of the ball full of mixture. His durability is good, but the intensity could be much better. Maybe that is just my impression because I have tried it with the much more powerful perfumes.

Francop
Francop

Fantastic stuff...!!!

Can`t believe I have not come it across before...

This is a quality scent which is fresh, masculine, classy and long lasting...!!!

Big thumbs up!!!

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Z-14 isn't quite as bad as I thought initially. My other bottle might have been a bit too old or something, because this new one I just got smells very good. More citrus, more woods, more moss, less cinnamon. Still, I could do without the cinnamon. But all things considered, a pleasant lemon-woody chypre, which uses the same dessicated lemon note that Grey Flannel is famous for. All things considered, it is a complex "smell" that is actually fairly simple in structure: sleek citrus, perky spice, resinous wood. It's actually heavier on the citrus than you might think it is. If the noses behind it had toned the spices down a notch, I'd call this a full-on citrus chypre, but as it stands it's more of a classic chypre with some seventies-styled proportions. Very dry, a little stark, but altogether handsome.

instantjim
instantjim

I received this fragrance about a month ago and have worn it a number of times since. I bought it after trying it a few times at a chemist store.

It is very uncommon in Western Australia where I live and so I had to drive a long way to sample it. It is still quite expensive here ($25 Aus for 1 oz) so I bought a 4oz bottle for about $30 Aus (including postage). I love ebay!

This fragrance was love at first sniff for me. Rich citrus and herbs open this fragrance. It is sharp and slightly animalistic: like a subdued version of Yatagan (though it actually predates Yatagan by 4 years). Like Yatagan(and for that matter Halston 1-12) it opens with basil.

The opening sweetness gradually gives way to a more bitter heart. It is pungent and rich like wood and cigars. I was sure this had tobacco as a note, but apparently it doesn't. The leather is very pronounced and long lasting.

Towards the end, the bitterness has faded but the wood and leather continues. I like this more than Halston 1-12: it is richer and lasts much longer. It is definitely a winter fragrance.

varondandy
varondandy

fond memories of this fine scent,used it during the fall and winter. if i ever find it i will repeat.

RobbieX
RobbieX

Old school, dark, spicy, citrus, leathery smell at first. Well constructed, I understand its been out for 30 plus years!! - well I just got this and I can smell why it's been around for so long. The drydown is great! it's clean, sweet, soapy and spicy. Long lasting and very masculine - yes an oldie, but goodie - a gorgeous men's scent!

jazz444
jazz444

A scent doesn't last 30+ years by just being average. Z-14 is one of the most immediately recognizable scents to my nose because it is so original. It was one of my scent triad as a teenager (along with Bowling Green and Pierre Cardin Musk), and boy how I loved it. Let it get away from me for years, until I picked up a bottle last year on a whim. Damn--good to have you back in my life!

Lemons and leather and some animalic accords make this a definite night and colder weather wear. I rock it with pride!

ObsessionForMen
ObsessionForMen

Deep boozy leather scent. Strong at first but dries down to release underlying florals and musk. The bottle I use is vintage so not sure how new juice stacks up. Definitely not for the boys. Only for mature men. I do like wearing this on a special occasion evening. Great sillage that only an 80's powerhouse could produce.

Fred Maple-Hill
Fred Maple-Hill

Smells like an old armchair in a bottle- very nice for winter wear.

Glassmeow
Glassmeow

My roommate in college wore this. His mom bought him every trendy cologne that came out in the late 70s/early 80s. I borrowed it from him and always thought it smelled better on a girl - if lightly applied.

ShiseidoTactics
ShiseidoTactics

Por dos decadas casi, fue mi fragancia favorita, pero en los ultimos 15 años, dicha colonia ha desmejorado en calidad. No se porque.

rviacava
rviacava

This is one of my favorites. I don´t care if I smell like an old man.To me HZ14 is the scent of Fall, like a walk in the park all leaves on the ground...a classic!

Captn_Kremen
Captn_Kremen

Very nice masculine for everyday use.

pansylady
pansylady

the best men's cologne... hands-down! I love darlingbud's description of the blood cell-shaped bottle, and the image of the guys on one knee singing "Mammy"-didn't get the association on the latter but loved the description all the same! :)

Castor

Mr. Chypre found its gentlemanliness boring.

So he got dressed, headed to Studio 54 and had a terrific night. He enjoyed it so much that he returned, made some friends, enjoyed the excesses offered to him by his new set of acquaintances - known as the 70's and the 80's - and, according to his former friends in the Upper West Side and Greenwich, CT, finally dissapeared. Well, of course they did not know neighbours of the Time Square Area have seen him clad in leather heading to, well, "places".

Why a chypre? Because it opens with hesperdic top notes and dries down in leather. However, it is qualified as a leather scent. Is it a chypre? IMHO, yes. But amped up, so forget the classic gentlemanliness that are characteristic of men's chypres. This is on the vein of Quorum, however more subdued.

Why the metaphore? There was a time Haslton's Z-14 and 1-12 were a high-end fragrances sold in high-end department stores at fairly high prices. But Halston's mismanagement and final demiss and death killed his fashion business and turned his fragrance brand into a drugstore scent owned by Elizabeth Arden.

However decadent, Z-14 is enjoyable.

gucci
gucci

this perfume was very popular in the 90's i still love it it's very manly that's what i love

darlingbuds
darlingbuds

Mmmmmm! I love everything about this fragrance. From its bad-boy associations right down to its cute-as-a-button, dark brown blood-cell shaped bottle. I agree with Knightz that it's probably nicer to wear during the colder season.

Z-14 starts out bold and fresh -- slides right across the stage on one knee singing "Mammy!". Although the top notes listed say bergamot and lemon, those citruses simply add a crispness to the main event, which to me is the cypress.

As it calms down, Z-14 squeezes behind the wheel of the Knight Rider car (KITT?)and cruises along in leathery lasciviousness. Yeah, there are flowers here, but they're the flowers he seduced you with, now tossed into the backseat as. . . . well, I'll spare you the raunchy details. The leather-benzoin ride lasts and lasts until the almost tar-like finish. A good tar -- like Grandpa's Pine Tar soap(marvelous soap!)

Say what you will about its datedness, but I would trample my own mother to get to any guy wearing this within 50 miles of me. It's damned sexy, and as far as I'm concerned, irresistable. I sometimes wear this to bed at night after a shower to maybe provoke some racy dreaming.

Guys: wear it! Call me! ;)

Stefan
Stefan

Compare to Valentino Vendetta. The same thing basically, but the VV is actually sweeter and not as harsh of the senses thoughout the day.

knightz
knightz

I was on the fence about Halston Z-14, and maybe even it's brother Halston 1-12. It seemed I once liked 1-12 better, though. I tried both of them for the first time early this year, when the Spring was starting to warm up into Summer. At that time, the Z-14 smelled just as heavy as it was sour to me. I put it aside, wrist-testing it many times throughout the summer, it always seemed too sour.

Today the weather outside is fully into Fall, cool days, cooler nights, and there have even been a few brief, light snowfalls. I tried the Halston Z-14 again several times this week and, to my complete surprise, it was nice and sweet, spicy, and has some nicely aggressive florals. I'm smelling it now on my wrist and it's almost approaching gourmand. The lightest note of benzoin is detectable. As the dry down softens, the florals fade in and out just as the spices do. What I once thought smelled like cough medicine now bears it's true colors for the Fall Season. A beautiful and complex blend of notes, each and every note contributing to every other note in some way. I love it.

I am amazed at the reversal of senses, based just on the season. I didn't know why I couldn't like a scent that has been around for almost 35 years. No other cologne has ever smelled so different, to me, depending only on the outside temperature. Something else that surprises me is that I liked Halston 1-12 more than Z-14 in the Spring/Summer, and now it's 1-12 that doesn't agree with me this season. These are not only 'try before you buy' scents, but ones that should be tried in different seasons.

A very nice, cool/cold weather scent, excellent for the holidays. Above average projection and average longevity. I will get much use out of this now, if it proves as good through the Winter as it is in the Fall.

Aiona
Aiona

My mother collects minis, and she had about 3 minis of Halston Z-14. So I appropriated one. It would be a shame to let this sit in a bottle unopened because it really does smell nice. It smells like celery seed to me, even though I see no celery seed in the notes listed above. It's distinctive. Not a cool aquatic. Not really a gourmand, despite the celery seed. Just a nice greenish scent.

LuvWarrior
LuvWarrior

Fond memories of 1-12 & Z-14. My first adult job in 1978 (right out of high school) was at a Hudson's dept. store and I purchased both of them. I used to wear both at the same time. I haven't smelled or worn this fragrance since the mid '90s, but remember it as a nice masculine scent, esp. mixed together.

Halston Z14 by Halston 3.80 out of 5 based on 458 ratings and 115 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Halston Halston Z14 fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Halston Halston Z14, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Halston Z14 by Halston. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Halston Z14 by Halston represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.