Designers » F-H » Oriental Woody « Groups

Man Amber Halston for men

Man Amber Halston for men
dislike

oud

Halston Man Amber is a modern oriental - woody fragrance, refined, luxurious and extremely seductive.

Top notes: geranium leaf, thyme and bergamot. Heart: pure amber, myrrh and labdanum. Base: oud, Atlas cedar and musk.

Presented in a golden reflective bottle, Man Amber is available as EDT of 75 and 125 ml.

Geranium Bergamot Thyme

French labdanum Amber Myrhh

Musk Virginia Cedar Agarwood (Oud)

Man Amber Fragrance Reviews

AlexFox
AlexFox

Picked this up on sale as recommended here by Smelly Smellerson. I bought my first bottle as a blind buy and tried it out and instantly loved the smell.

The mryhh really comes through strong along with the amber. Next to that I pick up most on the oud but not so much the cedar. What ever else that may be used is simply background noise to these three notes to my nose.

This will last you a very long time and doesn't come off as sticky or cloying, it is a very dry sort of scent. It very much reminds me of some smoky church after the thurible has made its rounds. I may not be big on churches, but I love the smell of this stuff.

I easily recommend this stuff, it's just a great smell that you wont catch many people wearing. Very different from your aquatics and musk or spice smells. This is a category unto itself. Also a good launching point if you wish to ease into oud scents.

I bought 3 more bottles after my first while the sale is/was still on. One as a gift to someone and the rest are for my greedy little hands, muuuuahahahahaa! Buy it before I do!

Tremere
Tremere

The thinking man's 24 Scentstory Gold.

sharmap14
sharmap14

I found it very similar to gucci pour homme it's nice

smellysmellerson
smellysmellerson

mmmmmmryhh, and it's on sale right now at Shoppers for all you Canucks out there who love mryhh and amber.
$19.99; I bought 3. One for a friend and two for me.
Unisex, and the oud is a very inoffensive westernized oud.

Smellafella
Smellafella

Halston Amber Man could actually be sold as a niche. Its very nice & well blended. The Oudh isnt at all funky or overpowering. Its a little medicinal, but overall very pleasant. Its also very creamy.

For my personal taste, the only thing i think it lacks is incense. As i like my fragrances dark & mysterious. Especially ones with Middle Eastern notes.

I think this one could be unisex, & worn all year round.

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

I enjoy deep woodsy/warm/sweet fragrance's. What I love more is finding a luxurious fragrance at a fraction of the price. TF, if Halston man amber was bottled in a different bottle it would sell as a well made nieche fragrance.
The opening notes of woods/oud with myrrh is solid without having that synthetic vib. Amber adds the warmth and calms the dry woodsy notes.
Longevity and Silage is very good lasting about 6-8hrs. Don't over spray, it will have a cloying/heavy aroma. The floral notes helps to balance the woodsy/spicy aroma.
Finally,
I ordered this juice, I still have at least a good month before I put it away. This fragrance is perfect during the fall/winter months. This fragrance is best when you wear it during the evening as well. I personally enjoy this fragrance and thanks everyone for your reviews. This juice is worth every ounce. 7/10

damightyheru
damightyheru

First Impressions-

One of the best Oud or Amber based designer scents I've ever smelled. The best Oud scent I have ever smelled under $50 along with Raghba Wood Intense (this is farrrr more wearable though). Why this receives no fan fare is beyond strange. Especially since it was really hard to get at one point apparently and is back in stock. It was over $100 when released and when it went dark people paid as much to have it. Now its readily available and its not mentioned. I guess people want to keep some secrets to themselves...lol

The most glaring drawback is the performance. Its lasts about 4-5 hours (in the winter) and the projection really calms after the second hour. But if people can put up with D&G's The One(s) and their performance issues along with new formulations of La Nuit,ect., the performance of this frag can be forgiven...Especially for a price tag under $25.

For people who want a respectable Oud experience (great for the price), without the barnyard stench, that is light enough to be worn in any season, this is a must try. Man Amber is blended beautifully with a light medicinal smell that actually WORKS and isn't off putting though the scent is not too complex and fairly linear. I really like that the sweetness is on a leash here also.

A captivating smoky almost incensey scent from an unlikely source. It's interesting how some people overlook this scent while they spend huge amounts for discontinued/niche oud or amber scents and this could easily instead be a great alternative. lol. I get it though we want what we want and this has received so little buzz so it makes sense.

I Need to wear this in the heat before I give a full take but I'm more than impressed with Man Amber so far.

YouTube Channel- Simply Put Scents

JardinHomme
JardinHomme

Amber. Myrrh. Oud. I've been told, unsolicited, that it smells like quality bourbon. But it's not "boozy," per se, it's actually rather dry.

I like it, it's been well-received, and it's a basement bargain oud. I would say it's for men 30+ years old because it takes a certain relaxed confidence and sense of self to pull it off. I would even advise women to give it a sniff if they like amber but dislike sweet fragrances.

To me it smells a bit like a church where the parishioners wear Commes des Garcons and slip collections into the basket from Bottega Veneta wallets. But I promise it's more wearable than that description makes it sound. Overall a very good fragrance.

siririschmoos
siririschmoos

Ambery-Oud, that's about all I'm getting.

Just so nice and, to me, quite natural, not synthetic.

Sure it doesn't "evolve" over time but it is just a basic scent that gets the job done so well that I can't complain about it not having a great variation of notes.

Great projection and has a good life on my skin. This baby has just enough quality ingredients allowing it to compete with the big boys of the OUD/AOUD/AGARWOOD world.

This is serving me well here in the late fall/autumn going into the winter.

DickLicorice70
DickLicorice70

Opens almost identical to Ralph Lauren Polo Supreme Oud. Dries down to Tom Ford Amber Absolute/Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan. Nothing in common with 24 Gold by Scentstory. 25 usd shipped. No brainer if you like this sort of fragrance.

maverick678
maverick678

Love it. Can't stop sniffing it.

mrluctoretemergo
mrluctoretemergo

i do not love it ...i do not hate it but i hardly ever find a moment to wear it...compared to it's bros z14 & 1-12 this one smells very synthetic...the chemical amber/oud try-out is so not my style...actually...don"t believe the hype on this one...if you want your first halston then go for z14 ('the true vintage lemon soap smell for real man') or 1-12 (the softer retro fresh delicatesse)

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

A very quiet amber. It does not project as well as I want but it's still a good scent. I swapped for it a few months ago and have been gracious. Not my favorite amber but good enough as the oud and myrrh give it substance. The cedar is the key base note that endures it's longevity. Low sillage but 6+ hours of longevity.

gray09
gray09

I just get a very synthetic oud and amber, in a way similar to the feel of Dirty English. There is no comparison to the complexity and depth of other designer brands. I would suggest checking out Tom Ford private blends, Armani privé or even Versace pour homme Oud noire.

MusicalNotes
MusicalNotes

This fragrance is truly one of a kind, unless I've just yet to unearth its kindred spirit. There is absolutely NOTHING note-wise in this fragrance that I could imagine offending ANYONE! At no point do I notice any sort of imbalance. This is harmonious. As a fan of fougeres, I find this to be absolutely subtle and refined, but with enough elements of the things I loved about so many classic fougeres, yet all in perfectly-balanced moderation.

I want SO BADLY to give this a 10, but I find myself having to re-apply or I can't even detect it after a couple hours. Maybe it's olfactory fatigue. Maybe I just love the opening THAT MUCH that I have to re-apply to satisfy my craving :)

Nonetheless, this is one of the most frustrating discontinuations I have ever encountered regarding fragrances.

I give it an emphatic 9.8/10.

Halston Man amber is a soft, subtle, warm amber scent which to me has an air of sophistication to it. Not a nose burning amber but it has prominence, cedar, myhrr and oud give it an incense vibe but fresh and not smokey. I love it, totally up my street and verging on an almost sweetness but with enough bitter elements to keep it at bay.
The problem I have is that it didn't last all that well on my skin compared with how good it smelled.
What I mean is that my perception of the high quality of this fragrance was not matched by it's longevity unfortunately. Man Amber was gone pretty quickly which is a real shame.

steve0580
steve0580

This is astonishingly close to 24 gold by Scentstory.

It has that same amber-honey-sugar brown sugar vibe, just SLIGHTLY less sweet and maybe a bit more woody. If you love 24 gold, without question, you'll love this.

dubairob
dubairob

This is really an astonishing fragrance. So much to say that is positive about it. The amber is just beautiful and wonderfully blended with the myrrh, oud and labdanum. From the first spray, I was really impressed.

None of the thick, syrupy effect that sometimes is associated with amber - and which turns people off the note - but instead a cleaner, more versatile twist. Clearly, this was done with an awareness of creating a scent that is not your usual and predictable scent - but is still versatile enough for work, meeting people on a day to day level, etc. There is a lovely, delicate touch of sweetness that runs through this that gives a slightly more 'populist' feel to it.

The only other amber fragrance I compared this to is Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense and can only conclude that though both fragrances have their positive qualities, they are clearly intended for very different settings. PAPHI is to my mind an autumn-winter evening scent for close proximity. HMA is probably an all-year-but-not-in-heat type of scent. As an indication of that, I would say that even in my desert, Middle East conditions (going in and out of AC) I will try to wear this through much of the year. As an aside I think this is one of the best fragrances since Dior Dune for this environment - both in terms of the climate and the associations for the local culture. It's a real winner.

For me the scent itself is masterful (10/10), the projection is all I need (10/10) and the only slight drawback is the longevity at 4-6 hours, depending on conditions (7/10).

All said, this fragrance - which seems to be slipping under the radar completely - is highly commended and recommended from me. A definite try if you can get the chance...you may just love it.

williamvargas
williamvargas

got a couple of small splash bottles of this , more of a curiousity... this a really wonderful amber scent. my compliments on this one. i would say right up there with montale's blue amber on just sure enjoyment of these types of fragrances. well done halston. two thumbs up... price point is very appealing as well , i think with other amber scents i am splitting hairs for such a great difference in price. not as strong of projection but still is very worthwhile to test out. a very good find.

mhek
mhek

One of the best designer i have tried this year.

It starts with a heavy oudish vibe that is a little offensive.The oud here is very medicinal like montale perfumes.
after that it settle down to a very subtle spicy amber.
The amber and Myrhh make it a little similar to LDDM by Andy Tauer.

Definitely a must try for Amber lovers.

herreroph
herreroph

This juice is perfect.
The amber, myrrh and oud are prominent here. I love it !
I never liked Hanston, but with this fragrance they won gold
9.8/10

d-d-d-drew
d-d-d-drew

It's got a soft spicy, complex scent. I can see how its roots started with Z14, but the myrrh and labdanum take it to another direction. I can't decide whether I would start the day wearing Z14 and then end it with Man Amber or the reverse. It's a very versatile fragrance that I believe could even be unisex. Very underrated and not the easiest to find, but worth the pursuit.

An interesting detail I originally missed...I think all the other Halston men's fragrances are made in the US, but Halston Man Amber is made in France. Hmmm...who knew?

Voile
Voile

A potential seductive intoxicant, employ with caution. Perfect for this season; the effect of rain on wet pavement, a fudgicle, a margarita, and oud - expertly blended. Off putting bottle, but best juice for a memorable night. When asked, just say that you just made love inside the Hershey chocolate factory, and didn't shower yet.

Mr. CG White
Mr. CG White

I've had a lot of fragrance regrets in my time whether I sold off a big part of my collection, bought something I wish I shouldn't have or traded something I shouldn't have, I'm sure we've been there in one shape or another. I say all that to say that this by far has been one of the best things that has ever happened to me fragrance wise. I received this in a trade and initially I was not impressed but as time went by I became more and more blown away by this gem. It reminds me of all the ingredients for a spectacular dessert but with less than half of the sugar because the other ingredients are so high quality. Go look at your average Hershey chocolate bar's sugar Vs A Green and Black's chocolate bar you'll see a difference right away. This is beautiful juice from top to bottom......

AZ
AZ

It is very similar to canali that I used to have it nice and soft amber oud smelk. It got some arabic perfume vibe but without beening too loud.

Pegasus
Pegasus

This is very much underrated. A distinctive trio of myrhh, oud and amber where the oud is not prominent or intense, there is a nice balance between the amber and myrhh, it's very woodsy and masculine, lasts all day on my skin with above average projection.

I was given a sample by a friend and then I realized that it's not available anywhere in the US as it was an exclusive release for Neiman Marcus and Harrods, I checked with NM and they didn't have it stock, they said it proved to be more popular than they anticipated and they were unable to restock. I had to ask a friend to buy me a bottle from Harrods in London and ship it over to the states, it arrived just yesterday!

takeitupthenose
takeitupthenose

Must have for amber fans. Opens with this spicey/resinic quality, the oud joins giving it the danky/woody combo then here comes the amber adding sweetness and almost an edible quality..suprisingly it never is overbearing it has a freshness yet a comforting woody distinction. This DESTROYS!!!!! (I know I shouldn't puncuate after a word) Amber Oud by Kilian.. I mean destroys it. Oud lovers who want a level of discreetness will love this. Amber heads like myself this is a buy if you can find, and it also has a femme edge where I don't see this as distinctly masculine. I love this stuff and it is worth it if you can get a 100ml at $100 or less. This is a gentleman's fragrance.

gewurz
gewurz

This is my go-to -- masculine, distinctive, woodsy, with that very distinctive amber note running right from top to bottom. Unfortunately, I can't find it anywhere anymore! Anyone with info, please leave a message here.

ArkangeL
ArkangeL

Modern, woody and most assuredly... balmy. First impression is that of Armani Prive Ambre Soie, but far from linear. Halston Amber is not loud, but it is far from quiet. Throughout its transitions, each layer of notes are given abundant time to be vibrant. As we soar deeper into the dry-down the oud begins to cape the fragrance, but domesticated by bergamot and Virginia cedar. Myrhh is raw, but is a team player here. The more the middle and base settles, the more of a Middle Eastern vibe I get... and more is better. Even the bottle looks the part. I'm not a Halston fan, but I'm proud to have this among my collection.

Lana Lool
Lana Lool

I can't say enough good things about this. It is a wonderful deep dark Oud with a definite medicinal edge, but at the same time a dry alomst gourmandish chocolate aroma, mixed with a wonderful Amber. This beats out Tabacco Vanille for my warm cozy comfort scent on those chilly days. Halston has really done it with this one! I was lucky enough to buy up a bottle lot of this on the cheap, so I have enough to last a lifetime. Wood heads will love this, oud heads will love this, amber heads will love this, and I find the women really love the cocoa edge to this. A winner all around, and is getting a lot of time on my skin this winter! Deep, dark, mysterious and delicious!
WARNING: This juice is not a dry woody mix. The amber+ keeps this fairly dense. It is more on the medicinal woody side. Longevity is 12+ hours on me, but sillage is moderate to less than moderate. Nothing animalic about this fragrance to me.

My first impression; This fragrance starts out a bit too medicinal or herbal to me as I smell tobacco-like note with something green and greasy. I get something leathery too but it never gets smokey nor dry. The oriental aspect shines because of the sweet amber and oud note. It never get spicy however. It's just nice, warm, and rich; kinda heavy and dense feel. It also reminds me a little bit of YSL M7 and M7 Fresh, and then I think of Le Male by JPG as it dries down. The base is really nice too. It's just warm sweet (really) musky with a touch of (cedar) woodiness. Great for a night out or special occasion.

UPDATE: I wanna add that it smells kinda like Encre Noire by Lalique but with sweet amber note. It's quite nice and it's growing on me.

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

Tried this today @ London's most exclusive department store in London where a very lovely and knowledgeable young lady helped me with this scent.
I have tried the original version a year back but decided against it purely because it was too fresh for a time of year that I wanted something for fall/ winter.

This one might just be the answer as it (after a similarly fresh and pungent spicy start) develops into a seductive, warm, amber-led spicy, woody, herbal, leathery, tobaccoy concotion without the sweetness.

I personally love sweet and heavy orientals for winter but this one is a truly sophisticated alternative for those who want something warm and strong without the sweetness.

Very good fragrance in all aspects and the bottle is simply to die for!

I wonder whether Georg Jensen has had its fingers in the design pot, lol.