Designers » F-H » Woody Chypre « Groups

Bel Ami Hermes for men

Bel Ami Hermes for men
dislike

leather
Bel Ami Hermes for men Pictures Bel Ami Hermes for men Pictures Bel Ami Hermes for men Pictures

Bel Ami: a reference to Guy de Maupassant's famous novel, Bel Ami celebrates leather in its most authentic expression. The chypre extract, conceived by Jean-Louis Sieuzac in 1986, interprets the material with as much opulence as character, in a register of surprising sensuality.

Mandarin Orange Sage Bergamot Lemon Cardamom

Fetish Pour Homme

Bel Ami Fragrance Reviews

deadidol
deadidol

Bel Ami does stand out in the suspiciously overcrowded leather genre but in ways that are more subtle than overt.

For one thing, it’s more complicated and daring than most contemporary leathers. There’s an iris that’s chilly and bitter, merged with a cardamom note that spins the scent into musty, somewhat raunchy, animal territories. You can almost feel the texture and deep grain of the leather as the result—as though it still carries a pulse. Furthermore, it’s a bold, confident kind of scent with some forceful cedar/coniferous notes jutting out, only slightly tempered by a bilge-like lactonic effect. In other words, there’s a lot going on here aside from just leather, and it’s all stereotypically "manly."

But more than anything, it smells like an old leather sofa to me—a heavily used one at that. It’s had drinks spilled all over its surface, and entirely too many cigarettes have been smoked in its presence. Furthermore, it’s a bit ratty and worn down now; its filling and frame have succumbed to age, emitting a characterful stink that sits somewhere between mildew and dust.

Yet that’s what makes it interesting: it’s unapologetically characterful and totally brazen in its demeanor. And I think it’s designed for a wearer who would like to view themselves in a similarly egotistic light. However, it doesn’t just smell old and worn, it smells dated as well. This is big-gold-chain-over-unbuttoned-polyester kind of perfumery, and I’m going to assume it was something made popular in the 1970s or the 1980s with the “refined gentleman of the disco" in mind.

Consequently, despite it being complex and evocative, it’s bit of an anachronism these days. It underscores a paradox from that period of fragrance's history when men would wear perfume in order to supposedly bolster masculinity. Today, there are better options on the table. This feels too costumey now; too much of a throwback to a moment that wasn't very good to begin with.

ezequiel91

Why 105 people says that Moschino pour homme smells similar?? Bel Ami is 100 times better, both of them are excellent, but MPH lacks the incredible creamy and velvety dry down that BA has. They are just a little bit similar, but I find more differences than similarities.

MonsieurK
MonsieurK

Sitting somewhere between Knize Ten and Antaeus, Bel Ami comes across as a slightly resinous spicy soft leather with a smooth, faintly oily touch (perhaps a perception of coconut oil?) It doesn't smell oily-chemical, like Knize Ten does (to my nose) but just smooth.

To me, it somehow achieves a simultaneous cool-warm and sweet-dry balance.

It doesn't smell dated, and I think a lot of people can pull it off. Definately boosts your own confidence, making you feel pretty seasoned.

Would especially suit a quieter, well spoken gentleman of any age who chooses his words very carefully.

Citrus2014
Citrus2014

Great was my joy when I tested this masterpiece - one of the few fragrances created in the 80s that passed the test of time.
This is because the perfumer who managed, as is the case of masterpieces from all arts, to come out, in a way, from the spirit of its time and create a timeless beauty that enjoy many generations. Compositions - a wonderful blend of citrus (orange) and leather as the base note, along with many other flavors.
I can say without any mistake that this fragrance was definitely a source of inspiration for Jean Claude Ellena when he created Terre d'Hermes.
Lastly, the Chanel Antaeus meets, in my collection, an old friend, sorry, a beautiful friend ...

Fragrance 9/10
Sillage 10/10
Longevity 10/10
Repurchase Yes

Marciu
Marciu

@Mango Plantation - there is no coconut in here.

I've noticed that fragrantica often confuses castoreum with coconut. Same thing happened with 5 other classic fragrances.

Fragrantica, could you fix it?

Mango Plantation
Mango Plantation

Can anyone ACTUALLY make out the coconut in this? I want to try it DEARLY, but I like to EAT/DRINK my coconut, not wear it :/

Bunino

I've never smelled the original but the version I've smelled is a little too discreet for me. It's lovely but too mild..

8/10 scent

stinakarlsen
stinakarlsen

I will always remember the scent of the man I once loved. Bel Ami, and it had to be the vintage version. I have never experienced any men's perfumes that can compare with it, besides the smell of my husband whatever he is wearing, fortunately (-:
It have to be one of the best perfumes ever made, but it have to be a grown up man with a big smile,
well aware of the effect he has on the environment to wear it.

riffjim4069
riffjim4069

I tried Bel Ami while taking a trip to the local (50+ miles) Hermes store the other day. After reading all the negative comments about the current/reformulated version...well, I was not expecting much. However, I found Bel Ami to be a very nice leather fragrance; I like it, but I don't love it.

While certainly a very nice scent (would feel comfortable wearing this one if given to me as a gift that I couldn't exchange) there was something just a little off or lackluster (not sure what)...and I don't need nor want any more merely good or likable perfume.

Conversely, I picked-up a bottle of Bel Ami Vetiver that I waited 10-days to arrived...and I had a fragrasm when I got my nose on that one.

Bunino

This is a great fragrance but I've the newer version. I don't know the difference. It seems nice but not indicative of the time in which it was introduced. Maybe it's my sample? Maybe it's been dulled down. Not sure. We'll see how it goes in the next few weeks.

SirYugen
SirYugen

I believe it is just my age, i am 21, but i recieved this as a gift and i believe i just don't appreciate the scent just yet. I can acknowledge it is a very well blended frag, with quality ingredients, but all i smell throughout the entire life of the fragrance is powerful charred wood, and burnt leather. with a touch of dirty sweetness. doesn't fit my age, maybe in a couple years i will think differently.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Bel Ami (vintage) opens with a breathtaking accord of soft, rich leather, more on the suede side if compared to other more dry and austere fougères, then beautiful fizzy herbal notes (thyme, sage... ?), bergamot, spices (cloves), fruity-plummy notes, all rounded in a classic accord of aldehydes and balsamic-mossy notes with woods (warm sandalwood and vetiver among all) and finally a smoky tobacco breeze. On the very base it's also detectable a thin but rich animalic note. Here's where Cuir Ottoman, Fetish pour Homme, Puredistance M have their roots – the mossy-leather scent à la Moschino pour Homme, in a more modern, linear, gentle version softened and sweetened by herbs and fruity notes, less "heavy", more playful and somehow younger and brighter. Refined, dandy, androgynous contemporary elegance, impressively ahead of its time. Effortlessly elegant, versatile, rich, irresistible: one of the very few rare vintage scents which are worth the chase and the cost.

pronose
pronose

bel ami was a masterpiece! the new formula has lost it's charm but still it's a great scent for classy men to wear!

evelynave
evelynave

Fragrances I thought I loved much more have been impossible to find in vintage formulation, so it's a strange little thing to me that I managed to run into three vintage bottles of Bel Ami over the last few years, without half trying. I've smelled the newer stuff and of course it's different; still nice, but a good part of the zingy strangeness is gone. Few fragrances work on me like Bel Ami does. I love it now. It seems to kind of cloud around me, where others just sit there, as you'd expect something you spray on skin to do. It's fruity and floral and leathery simultaneously, a slightly oily leather which has the impression of having rubbed off on the flowers. Castoreum, vanilla and styrax do some devilishly good stuff in the base of this beauty, reminding you that before a guy smelled sporty as a rule he smelled out of this world.

jtd
jtd

In retrospect, Hermès Bel Ami marks the midway point between the dry woods of Chanel Antaeus and the gasoline slap of Dior Fahrenheit. The connection is leather, which both the Chanel and the Dior hint at, but the Hermès wraps itself in.

An intermediate species can by definition only be identified after the fact. So, here we are, after the fact, and Bel Ami deserves its niche, its genre. The woody petro-cuir.

Chanel Antaeus is classified as a woody fragrance. But it hasn’t been given the typical Chanel face-lift of aldehydes, iris and velvet (Bois des Iles, Cuir de Russie). Antaeus is woody by virtue of the range of its notes, not for any affiliation with nature. This is a wood product in the same way that turpentine is. Where most woody perfumes emulate botanical woods, Antaeus reminds me of touching my tongue to a frozen chain-link fence at an outdoor skating rink.  Antaeus feels chilled by virtue of an extreme dryness that conjures freeze-drying. Dior Fahrenheit matches Antaeus dryness with a cool hiss. The chill is the feeling left behind on your skin as gasoline evaporates, leaving only a brisk whiff as memory.

I recently came across two bottles of vintage Bel Ami, the cocktail shaker model.  They were boxed testers that had been well stored and were perfectly preserved.  I never smelled it at the time of its release but I wish I had. The combination of botanical and proudly synthetic notes make Bel Ami a large-scale fairy-tale of a perfume. No Disney back-pedal for a G rating, though. Bel Ami is an olfactory history in the school of historical oral history. Fairy tales were principally a means of reinforcing the super-ego, were deliberately frightening and worked by reinforcing irrational thought. Fairy tales told you, “don’t go outside the boundaries of tribe and kin, or monsters will destroy you.” Less specific, but equally promissory of harm, Bel Ami taunts with a smile: ”Go ahead. Fuck with me.”

Bel Ami plays with a gasoline note that Fahrenheit would eventually take to maximum expression. The top notes are a big opening and grab your attention, settling pretty quickly into the heart. The leather note in Bel Ami is irresistable. The wood and the gasoline notes set the tone for the fragrance and the leather is dry and crackly-stiff. It has the quality of an imagined leather object like a leather blanket.  I've never heard of one, but I'd love to have one.

I've never tried the current model of Bel Ami, and I'm leery too.  Vintage Bel Ami reminds me of everything that I loved about the early men's power fragrances.  Vintage Bel Ami is not the shaved steroid gym queen of this millennium.  It precedes the contempo-masculine poodle-tailored facial hair , and it certainly precedes topiary pubic styling.  Bel Ami has honest-to-goodness chest hair, the kind you want to run your fingers through.

Fucking hot.

Monsieur Aramis
Monsieur Aramis

Vintage (1986): TOP SCORER: 5 from 5 - 98P (out of 100)- cocos leather - This has been one of my very best favorites. Among its fully harmonized leather, ambra, rubber etc. notes, its slight scent of cocos has been the crop of the cream of this marvelous fragrance. It is worthwhile to look for the vintage.
Reformulation: does not exceed 90P. It became too strong, like leather treated with preserving agent, the equilibrium has been lost, there is some synthetic in it which disturbs and which has not been there before. Compare with the vintage, you will always long for the 1986 masterpiece, or the new Vétiver.
My Bel Ami perception has been changed also by another personal experience. In the company I used to work in, there has been a secretary of approx. 55 years - she was always in bad mood, she has been wearing Bel Ami every day. Pity that since then Bel Ami since then recalls me this difficult person.
Even better that there is now the great Bel Ami Vétiver which recompenses all this!

Cardenal Mendoza
Cardenal Mendoza

Brown/tan leather, soft, rich, oily, citrus/mandarin, resinous sandalwood, cinnamon spice, old world/old money yet contemporary, timeless, classic, utterly masculine, high class and sexy. Hand-picked for me by my lovely wife, Bel Ami is a head turner that unapologetically announces "there is a man in the room", it's luxurious richness gives the wearer an 'aura' of strength, dominance and finesse; sniffing the bottle cap is like nosing a fine XO cognac. The perfect scent for a romantic weekend in Paris. Beautiful.

sanicojo
sanicojo

Me es un poco familiar con Perry Ellis for Men. Es solo mi humilde opinion sin ofender a nadie.

leathermountain
leathermountain

I'm not getting leather so much as intense powdered spices over crackling dried cedar. Especially black pepper and cinnamon, with a bit of synthetic amber. A bit of a disappointment.

Odenir De Faria
Odenir De Faria

What a surprise it was when I found out the expensive Hermès' Bel Ami, after the initial leather blast, smells very very alike Avon's Class Act.

Oakmoss, jasmine, basil, patchouli and sage are responsible for that similarity with Class Act which contains such notes.

ezequiel91

Aqua de la vita+10000000!!!!!!! .
Poetry in a bottle
Maybe the best masculine ever made.
Nothing even comes closer.
Wow effect: 100%

Calissano
Calissano

One of the bests!

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

Bel Ami from Hermes is absolutely AMAZING and SOPHISTICATED frag. I some what agree with those who say that the vintage is much more bolder and better. Having bought both the vintage and the current version, I can say that I enjoy the current version just as much. The main difference between the two is that you can smell the note of leather and Amber with the heighten patchouli coming through more.
The current version is more tame and not as heavy when your wearing it. I just need to spray it once and I can still smell it even when I returned home from work...that's a sign of a good quality frag.
The first upper notes blend well eventually giving way to the robust aroma of a very masculine scent of leather combined with cedar and patchouli making it a very desirable and appealing frag to wear during the day or eve. This frag is perfect during the fall/winter days. Longevity and Silage are both excellent, even after 8hrs of work and with family and friends they can still smell it on me. I'm always getting compliment on how good the frag smells on me so I wear it more often than others.
Overall opinion,
This fragrance is PHENOMENAL...the more you wear it the more you can appreciate the appealing qualities that radiates off you. This frag is like gold if you can get your hands on it...it's worth every ounce. This frag is also timeless frag...if you can acquire this fragrance you won't be disappointed. Without any hesitation this frag is AWESOME and deserve 10/10 ★★★★★★...one extra because it's worth it. Bravo Hermes

dubairob
dubairob

This really deserves even further appreciation than it has.

As a Winter/cool Autumn fragrance, Bel Ami exudes a classy sophistication and charm through its exquisite leather note. The resinous supporting notes seem to give greater depth and offer an altogether effortless beauty which could happily be worn in formal, work or social settings. It is really wonderful.

Not much has ever been made of the title of Bel Ami as a reference to Guy de Maupassant's famous second novel (as much as ever really can be made of the link between a fragrance title and its artistry of notes and accords). However, the story which chronicles journalist Georges Duroy's corrupt rise to power from a poor ex-NCO, who has served three years in Algeria, to one of the most successful men in Paris - most of which he achieves by manipulating a series of powerful, intelligent, and wealthy mistresses - somehow seems to fit so well the slightly discordant, debonair easy charm and underlying sensuality of the fragrance. Bel Ami can work so well in an ambitious setting - but also gives the confidence to lean close to anyone when needed. That quality should never be underestimated in a fragrance.

All said, Bel Ami is one of the finest fragrances I have had the joy to wear. It is probably the greatest offering for men from the Hermes house and is an excellent example of French perfumery at its best. Just don't cross my path when I'm wearing it....

Ciceronek
Ciceronek

The original in the shaker bottle is amazing, simply GREAT! the reformulation is poor, go for the vintage one for sure!
;)

Iris_it
Iris_it

I have found the reformulated version at lenght and it is heaven in a bottle . I am not into florals that much in this period and I guess Bel Ami bottle is going to get a lot of visits :-). I cannot stop sniffing my wrists ! I love its smoothness ans subtle sweetness . A fragrance for men with no harshness and suitable to ladies who love intoxicating masterpieces like this one .

EDIT : I found a bottle of the first version and I love it even more ! Sieuzac should be "worshipped" for creating Bel Ami as much as for creating Opium

marios4
marios4

I love this scent, since from 1988, when was in a shaker bottle, very very elegant and classy.......

Only after read the base notes i discovered the leather.....but it's not so strong and evident for me, pheraps because all the notes are like "weaven" each others in a very dense way.
I remember especially the cloves from an old sample miniature, i still have it, and i'll try to comparate the vintage with the current version, pheraps reformulated.
However a fantastic, elegant and classy scent, suitable especially in cold times, but no for young people......

It's really affordable, instead M of Puredistance (it's a fantastic and rich scent, but with a very high prize), very similar to Bel Ami.
I'll update my rewievs soon.

ezequiel91

My God , this is PERFECT. I can't believe the quality of the materials and how it smells. Amazing and perfectly balanced, one of the best and classiest ever. Glory, glory, alleluia!

Obanonatto
Obanonatto

The formula vintage is deeper, more animalic and alive: three-dimensional.
I believe that the reformulation is quite good, but not as the original one.
Rating vintage: 10/10
Rating ref, or current formula: 6.5/10

farang
farang

In my opinion, one of the best masculine fragrances ever made. It probably is more suitable for colder weather and for evening wear. It oozes class and sophistication and probably fits better a mature adult rather than a youngster.

I have tried both the current version and vintage (probably 20 years old) and they smell very similar. The vintage is somewhat more raw and perhaps slightly longer lasting. But both are long lasting on me, and the similarities are at least 95 % I would say.

Castor
Castor

Old or new? Different scents, not to the extent of the differences between vintage and present-day Antaeus. This is more faithful to the original. More to come.

ratas23
ratas23

After reading several reviews not only here but other sites I bought a bottle of Bel Ami to try. As soon as it arrived I spray it on my arm and ask my wife - don't like it- she say although she sat in the opposite side of the family room she smell it right away that's how strong this is.I didn't like it neither to be honest but now I'm stuck with a $120 bottle of cologne that I won't wear, not good!

Redbeard
Redbeard

Almost a thumbs up. This is what Z-14 should have smelled like, and Bel Ami in fact strongly reminded me of Z-14 when I first got it. It's a fascinating blend of herbs and spices over honey, which opens with a piecing sharpness that keeps the sweetness well in check. Masculine throughout, it stays markedly herbal and becomes a bit musky as it dries down, with a stage in the midnotes that is too sour for my tastes. I think there may be a tiny bit of anise/fennel/whatnot, but not quite enough to bother me.
While the product is great, the associations ruin it for me. For whatever reason, this smells so 70s to me that I can hardly wear it. Objectively, there's nothing wrong with your Harvest Gold refrigerator or your Avocado Green blender, or your sofa with the cream and light brown floral patterned fabric, but all of them reek of the 70s so much that it's immediately obvious to anyone seeing them. I'm giving Bel Ami up in favor of newer scent infatuations, but it was a tough decision because we still have some chemistry together, sitting on the leopard-skin couch listening to disco by the shifting light of the lava lamp.

CGV
CGV

This must be the most sophisticated and well balanced scent. I feel that one needs to reach a certain age or maturity to make this suit you. I have it for 6-7 years but whenever i tried I felt uncomfortable after a while. Until now. Now its perfect. The nice citrus at the top, the smooth and laid back woods speak of a well balanced life and things achieved during its course. Yet is energetic enough not to be an old mens style scent. Its going confident and well mannered yet ready to concur new worlds. Total class! Its from 1986 but its not dated at all. Projection and sillage are perfect, top, mid and drydown all amazing. One of my favourite fragrances! Iam 41 now.

jude1321
jude1321

This is an absolute titan in the industry. sillage and longevity rock. this is the best male scent that Hermes has, for my money. I love this stuff. unique and leather based powerhouse that blows out Rocabar and Terre Hermes. This juice is indeed expensive, that is the only down side. It does have an 80s feel to it, but it is more mondern that the others. Highly recommended. women love this juice. timeless elegance.

nalknn
nalknn

Bel Ami - fragrance for a real man, a very refined and elegant, despite the simultaneous stiffness of leather and wood. Magic born of a combination of various shades and thoughtful пропорциями.Для held self-confident people.
HERMES my favorite perfume house,almost all of the wonderful aromas.

maab
maab

Bel Ami is elegant, rich and mysterious. One of the best leather fragrances in the market. Great longevity and sillage.

RHONORAY
RHONORAY

mmm mmm GOOD, this juice warms the heart and draws ooohs and aaaahs. After being seated for dinner the other night, the hostess came up to me and asked what I was wearing that was so good, because another couple I had walked past asked her to inquire for them, because they loved it so much.

Sacredsystem
Sacredsystem

Add a cup of elegance, tablespoon of manliness, teaspoon of sensuality
and a pinch of attitude and what you get is the magnificent Bel Ami. A true
masterpiece that simply amazes me every time I wear it, actually every time it wears me. A well balanced perfume with a slightly dirty leathery haze consistently hanging on with both hands. The best masculine perfume Hermes has ever created. Only Equipage can be considered a very close second. Vintage Bel Ami is better, but the reformulated version is still excellent. When combined with the after shave you are literally a breath away from paradise.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Tried some of this on my arm at the Hermes store. It is WONDERFUL. A nice, rich leather. I like it better than Tom Ford Tuscan Leather, which smells great, too, but more bookish or perhaps like suede. Bel Ami smells more like luxury and quality to me - which is interesting because it's less expensive than the Tom Ford scent!

I WANT A BOTTLE!

My wife says it's the best thing I've tried thus far, so my chances of getting it are good.

UPDATE: I noticed that it has notes in common with Tom Ford Sahara Noir, a sort of pine board/sawdust smell. This is a good thing, by the way.

Also, it doesn't seem to project much on me.

vasjan
vasjan

wprofumo: Why oh why do perfume houses think they have to make fragrances "more accessible"?

Because it is not about a few of you (us) old grumpies - who will always long for the good old times and scents - but about the bottom line. Barely any of the youngsters will go anywhere near a scent like this and they are the future of the market and the profits.. Sadly so. For us.

True, the new formulation does not have the bite and the dept of the original but it still has the same DNA and sophistication and it remains a masterpiece!

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

I have the vintage aftershave splash and it smells fantastic.

On the top you have some lemon citrus that leads into a wonderful spicy leather. The leather smells like a old leather jacket or a old worn leather sofa.

Out of this you get hints of jasmine and cumin which add character to the scent. It is warm and aromatic and I agree it does smell like a toned down version of Puredistance M.

A real pleasure to smell!

istanblue
istanblue

All above its a Hermes fragrance; natural,sophisticated,unique,classy,masculine,long lssting 10/10

kl99
kl99

PICTURE IMPRESSIONS:

Sex, Leather and Cruelty: sweet cruelty.
slightly sweaty skin: a young playboy addicted by luxury.
An Orient Express through Russia.
Dracula&Cumin: A Medieval Party.

fuggerone
fuggerone

incredibly aromatic and mysterious, guess is for those who like heavy and complex scents, to me it's 9/10

amg7240
amg7240

This does smell like a toned down version of Pure Distance M. I don't like the cumin-like note, though.

fanny
fanny

This is dry And rich.

One of the many male perfumes that are cross-gender.
Received a decant, and I don't know if its the new or the old version, but I guess it is the new. Not very heavy on the leather, I think.
Must ask the seller when she's back from a holiday.

I love the complexity and the warmth.
I love the subtlety and the strength.
I love Woody Chypres.

In the end it has a lovely light drydown.
One of my new favourites for sure.

Edit:
Longevity is great

GoodVibrations
GoodVibrations

This is a product that has undergone change over the years. What you buy at the department store now is possibly a slightly more sheer, less intrusive version of the original. Either is AMAZING. You cannot judge this very masculine cologne until it has been on the skin for over 30 minutes. It really has to dry down to start emitting its charm. It will begin to smell like well-worn, musky cowboy boot leather. What happens is an amazing transformation from top notes to dry down. At first, it smells like tarry chemicals with a burst of old-fashioned 80s lemon. Then... it evolves into the scent of a real saddle after a cowboy has been riding on it all day. It's a sweet, musky, masculine homage to leather.

nas2000
nas2000

This scent is so sweet and smooky... that you really can feal the gothic vibe in it. Thats the scent of a Vampire if i close my eyes.
About the question which Version to chose i can only say there is no big differnce.
As i own both Version i have to say the Vintage is a bit more leathery and the recent one is more sweet. I prefer the new one but as i have them both i dont need to think about which i love more!

cinemoenti
cinemoenti

EVERGREEN ★★★★★
This perfume is one of the extraordinary unique ones.
At the same time it's warm, elegant and serious as well. It invites me
to come closer, to feel welcome and protected.
I'm glad it can still be bought and hope it will always be there.
Chapeau!

jrichart
jrichart

Bel Ami de Hermès es un glamouroso y temperamental perfume de la familia chipre-amaderado. Para mí, el mejor perfume de la casa Hermès después de Equipage, toda una delicia masculina que se abre con notas cítricas y se va caldeando a lo largo de su evolución con especies como el cardamomo que terminan con un exquisito fondo de cremoso cuero, patchulí, sándalo y vainilla. En mi humilde opinión, uno de los mejores perfumes de la historía.

wprofumo
wprofumo

Thank you, Grottola, for your review of the original formulation of Bel Ami. Indeed, Patou Pour Homme is the best scent for men in existence - or, sadly, not in existence any more. I want to get something as near as possible to Patou Pour Homme for my husband, and was thinking of Santos (Cartier). However, based on your analysis, I think I will try to find the original Bel Ami. Why oh why, do perfume houses think they have to make fragrances "more accessible"? It's an insult to the original creator.

Grottola

Okay, time to review the current version of Bel Ami.

The current formulation, in the main picture seen above, retains the character of the original for the most part, but isn't as full, rich, or leathery. The predominant note in the current formulation of Bel Ami is a powdery, salmon-colored rosewood note, in the style of Tiffany for Men. Surrounding this is a resinous, woody chypre structure. After about an hour when the rosewood note finally poops out, the leather starts to rear its head. Again, I found the leather in the vintage juice to be a bit more prominent and stark. Here it's a lot more toned down and plush. I guess I could say that the differences between the old and new Bel Ami are, in a way, like the differences between old and new Antaeus. The fullness and richness have been reduced, and the predominant notes have been switched around.

As a final consensus, I guess I'll say that the new Bel Ami is a more accessible version of the original. If you like the new stuff, you'll probably love the old stuff. And if you hate the new stuff, you'll hate the old stuff. Either way, Bel Ami is a fantastic masculine chypre that exudes the warmth of wearing a leather jacket on a cool, breezy fall day.

johngreenink
johngreenink

When I first bought this cologne, it was the most expensive bottle I'd ever purchased, so I used it very sparingly. Bel Ami is a heavy, full-bodied scent that is made distinctly for the darker months of the year. The scent brings to mind many places and images from the autumn and the holiday seasons: Chrysanthemums, fireplaces, woods, cloves, burning leaves, wreathes of fir, bayberries, juniper, freshly cut wood. If you're a nostalgic man, you would love to have this around and wear it once in a while. That first bottle lasted me over three years without any noticeable denaturing of the scent, so it survives well.

id
id

Women who like leather scents should try it too. Bel Ami smells perfect on my skin. I get leather and vetiver with a little bit of lime - a thin slice of this accord. Then comes oak moss and patchouli plus the orris root at the dry down. Very nice, classic and elegant. Superb sillage and longevity.
Thank you, Hermes.

shamus1
shamus1

One of my all-time favorites. Bel Ami is a very aromatic leather fragrance that manages to be strong and long lasting without being overpowering. It's refined and dry enough for your average fragrance wearer to enjoy and feel comfortable wearing, yet at the same time strong and masculine enough for fans of powerhouse fragrances to respect and appreciate.

The leather in Bel Ami is evenly balanced by the spices here, so both facets are prominent, without either dominating. Bel Ami is very spicy, which it gets from big doses of cumin, patchouli and styrax, and this sets it firmly within the 80s style of men's colognes. It is an extrovertly masculine scent, going hand in hand with wearing a shirt with the first couple of buttons unfastened. The leather and oakmoss warm up and balance out the spiciness, and they add a bit of sweetness and virile bite to the fragrance. This is a fairly dark scent, and I find it has much in common with Halston's Z-14; if you like Z-14, chances are you'll like this.

Bel Ami is timeless and perfectly balanced. It's a fragrance that I can grow into, as it smells more and more appropriate the older I get. I've smelled both the vintage and current versions of this, and either of them are worth buying. This will always be one of my favorites.

MY RATING: 9/10

Grottola

The vintage formulation of Bel Ami is one of the best masculines ever, period. Bel Ami is a chypre by smell - not so much structure, but it definitely has a chypre feel. No bother, as it's done flawlessly and I guess could in a sense be called "MItsouko Pour Homme".

However, another thing I have to add is that the vintage Bel Ami is extraordinarily close to Patou Pour Homme. Now, Patou Pour Homme is richer and denser with an oriental character, but they both share a spicy leather chypre smell, which is essentially the central accord to Patou Pour Homme. Seeing as how Patou Pour Homme is probably the most perfect masculine in existence, I could roll with Bel Ami as a replacement so I don't have to take out a loan to buy the last drops on Earth of Patou Pour Homme.

I haven't tried the current formulation yet, but the vintage version is something I'd definitely recommend for anyone interested in classic masculines or chypres.

Love it.

an.jorePipip
an.jorePipip

I just received the package of this fragrance from my friend overseas, since I could not find it here. I have to admit that I have been putting high expectation on this perfume. Then I sprayed it on my wrist...oh man! The opening is so strong, so strong like someone just slapped me on my face. I could not detect citrusy note, just sage...the smell is hypnotic. I was hoping that it would be milder then...but it is not! To be frank, this perfume is overpowering me...therefore I should wear it only when I have big confidence. But don’t have mistaken, I do like this perfume. It shows class, and purity…the impression is like a gentleman on his peak! Bravo!

Bel Ami

This was one of the best perfumes in the Hermes range and another one that has been somewhat changed through reformulations. It's still absolutely pleasant but no more compareable to others masterpieces of the genre as Knize Ten or Cuir De Russie. Nice but you can have better leather scents at any price.

Bel Ami (1986)

I found the original Ble Ami in a small store where they were selling vintage perfumes in their original formulations and packagings at ridicolously cheap prices (I had Insensè and Le 3 Homme De Caron for 10$ and Givenchy Gentleman for $5). At the beginning I thought it was a joke, but after talking for almost an hour with the owner (a very old lady who almost witnessed to the first launch of Jicky back in 1889) I realised that what I just found was the closest "real thing" to paradise. I immediately got a bottle of Bel Ami and realized that this is a way rougher and more compelling version of the new reformulation. It has a weird, challenging, almost strident leather accord that is now gone to be replaced by a quite conventional one, as well as for the animalic notes, once aggressive and now desappeared. An unique and not for everybody fragrance that if you'll have the chance to find in its original reformulation, you should buy very fast!

Note: If you'll ever come to visit Tuscany, just drop me a line and I'll tell you where paradise is..

Now this is the kind of masculine I like. The moment I put this on and inhaled deeply, I thought to myself, all men should smell like this.

A ruggedly masculine man makes my heart skip a beat and this is the essential fragrance for such a man. Rich, leathery and clean. Bel Ami is the scent of those 1950's Hollywood cowboys. It's a fierce fragrance, not for the shy.

You need to like leather in order to enjoy this fragrance. For some, the leather note may be too strong, however I find it fascinating. There's a hint of sweet incense mixed in there somewhere too, that gives this fragrance a rather luxurious feel.

The heart is mostly leather, pepper, herbs and earthy patchouli. This combination is strangely clean yet a tad dirty. Bel Ami has an almost dizzying effect on my senses. To be honest, I'd much rather smell this on a man than on myself. The mystifying masculinity of Bel Ami goes to waste on my feminine skin.

The longevity of Bel Ami is very impressive, as is the sillage which will leave the air around you beautifully scented for all to enjoy. A true classic in my opinion. A fragrance that separates the men from the boys.

hay81hay
hay81hay

it is complex in good way, woody citrusy leathery ,

longevity 6 hour and still smell strong on paper .

classic , i love it, Hermes talking good here.

Bapi
Bapi

I came to know about it 5/6 years ago, but never could find one in Asia or even in Dubai. Just got it 2 weeks back. Heard a lot of praise about it, read a lot of reviews too which certainly made me crave for this masterpiece. After hearing and reading a lot about it I imagined it's smell. So I couldn't resist myself from taking a sniff of it right on the spot where I first received my pack. WOW. Could there be anything such precise what your heart desires in a perfume? I'm not gonna elaborate on the description of notes in it, and why would I? The description people have given so far need no further elaboration. I've read everything before, so did you all. So, I'm just certifying and endorsing every good words that have been said about this. Deep, dark and mature people, if you guys are listening then you MUST get one. And now.

Sissi
Sissi

Bel Ami the perfume with master class
the opening is well defined with Lemon with a mixture of dry sage and velvety
citrus note of bergamot dries the top note, the middle section becomes a bit
more spicy consisting of Carnation with
the herbal scent of basil with the nuance
of pepper Jasmine in diluted form makes
it's presence known and orris seems to
quiet the jasmine with it's earthy aroma
dries the middle with sharp ceder,
Patchouli is elusive and heard to detect
in Bel Ami that is perhaps the most elusive note in this fragrance,

The drying down starts off deep resinous
of styrax with undertone of leather for
an glossy texture and semi-sweetness of coconut then dries to an mossy
feel of oakmoss and dry vetiver.

Bel Ami conjours for me a vast hunting den in the Scottish estate in the highlands of some pompous Earl with deer antlers a bear rug in the floor with red velvet chairs a huge ornate fireplace
meticulous crafted ebony table and a vast library of old books from great masters on a dusty shelf musty in scent
sitting in his luxurious chair sipping
his blood red Vino in his Burgundy colored robe and idly listening some
depressing violin adagio almost falling
asleep,

Bel Ami is for a man or for a few brave
women who appreciates the finer things in life this is one of the finest cologne in perfumery there is nothing
cheap or kitschy about Bel Ami they only
make the top of the line of ingredients
to make this masterpiece.

I found this scent in the early 90's with a sample.

I was impressed by the originality. It was diferent from everything I knew.

A remarcable, refined, elegant and lasting scent.
I tried it at night and the next morning after a sleeping it was there. I went to take a shower and it survived the shower. I was impressed.

I bought it.
Superb.
My wife loved it. I will love this scent forever and yes it is true, there is no woman from I met who didn't like this.

Today is my number one.
I don't know Mr. Sieuzac but I can't stop thinking that he did this specialy for me.

For those who want to compare it with others like Aramis (from which I know all the fragances), I think there must be a problem with their noses.

I'm a perfume adict and tried many things. Nothing compares this.

guest_oslo-fjord
guest_oslo-fjord

-Elegance in a bottle! This is probably the best leather scent out there. Very warm and deep. Sillage and longevity are excellent. Not for kids, but for mature, elegant, refined, gentlemen 30+ It`s for those who like classic timeless fragrances with character. Hermes has made some great masculine fragrances over the years. Bel Ami and Equipage are the best of them. Highly recommended!

guest_Jolly Roger
guest_Jolly Roger

This is probably the best perfum for man that as ever been made.

I put it in the morning and the next morning I can stil feel it.

I never met any woman who doesn't like it.
And the most important thing, I never get tired of the scent.

Excelent. Perfect.

tonni
tonni

I bought it a fews years ago with the low price,It's a perfect leather scent for men,rich,warm,a little spice and masculine.

getcarter
getcarter

Leather at its best - rich, warm & dark - very strong but oh so cultured. And just a little bit slutty. Great sillage too. Love it!

ryvlajo
ryvlajo

Incredible. The "Gucci pour Homme" for grown ups. Very warm leather. Did not get any citrus notes or god forbid vanilla. One of the simplest leathery perfumes, it does not have too much complexity which may not be a bad thing. Lasts forever.

MichaelPasha
MichaelPasha

This is not the same, but is as close to my favorite of all times: Etienne Aigner's Superfragrance, as I have found. Any other ideas?

guest_pedro marques
guest_pedro marques

absolutely perfect but attention its just for those who like powerfull scents. it lasts and lasts and lasts ...all day

guest_Papillon
guest_Papillon

I think this is a perfect fragrance for men.I had it one and it nearly runs out.
I have to buy new one.I can guarantee you the strangers will falling into you both men and women.Speaking from experiences I'm glad that I had a chance knowing this perfume.I'll just take a shower,get dressed and life goes on.

Bel Ami by Hermes 4.38 out of 5 based on 446 ratings and 72 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Hermes Bel Ami fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Hermes Bel Ami, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Bel Ami by Hermes. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Bel Ami by Hermes represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.