Designers » F-H » Floral Aldehyde « Groups

Caleche Hermes for women

aldehydic
Caleche Hermes for women Pictures Caleche Hermes for women Pictures Caleche Hermes for women Pictures Caleche Hermes for women Pictures Caleche Hermes for women Pictures

Calèche: composed by Guy Robert in 1961, this very feminine combination of flower,wood and chypre, whose name evokes the House’s emblematic carriage team, shines through the beauty of its primary ingredients, from the gaiety of its citrus hints to the modernity of its aldehyde notes, from its floral heart embroidered with ylang-ylang, rose and jasmine, to its woody chypre afternote, emphasized by the nobility of iris.

Aldehydes Cypress Orange Blossom Mandarin Orange Neroli Bergamot Lemon

Chanel No 5 Eau de Toilette

Caleche Fragrance Reviews

framorena
framorena

As much as I can't say Chanel nr 5 is bad, but I could never spray that on me, the same is for this classic. You can't say it isn't a high quality perfume, that made history of the route of modern fragrance, or that its success is ungained, but... too fur-oldish woman for me. Maybe in '60 was a new way to mean classy woman, but nowdays it hasn't follow the concept it was made for. Ironically, I think previous creations like Femme de rochas or cabochard de Gres, 20 years older, make this work better than those aldheidic soapy-rose perfumes.

Rebemario
Rebemario

This perfume, actually the Soie De Parfume version was one of my first expensive perfume buys. I bought it at Nordstrom and the sales lady was trying to influence me to purchase a "younger" scent. I know what I like by just sniffing the top of the bottle and the moment I smelled this scent, it had to be mine.I am a huge fan of soapy smells. To me, smelling like soap or freshly showered is in a way like being polite to those who come into contact with you. This particular version performs this in spades. It is the ultimate clean I have ever encountered besides White Linen. This fragrance in addition exudes class and refinement. I would wear this to a job interview and smell professional or even in jeans and feel like I was born and breed a person of means. As my niece would say "you smell like a rich bitch". Love it. I also purchased the original Eau De Toilette version by accident. I thought I was getting another bottle of the SDP, I didnt know there were other versions. It does smell clean, it is lovely, but it does not have that umph, that strong and lasting, or the burst of adelhydes that I get with the SDP. It is an amazing scent, I would say, very classy, very elegant.

victoria.mei1992
victoria.mei1992

There are two versions Edp and edt, maybe you gave edt?

benzippo
benzippo

I got the one with the plastic cap as per the pic above.

The reformulation has been watered down so much that it is just a shadow of its glorious self.

The longevity has also been greatly compromised.

Despite numerous sprays, after an hour or two, I could no longer smell the fragrance on me but it only takes two to three sprays from my old bottle (Gold cap and neck), it will last the whole day.

Of course, it is still a good offering if compared to most present mainstream fragrances in the market but if we are strictly talking about Caleche, then this is another re-formulation disappointment.

Both my vintage and new bottles are of EDT strength.

boutonstendres
boutonstendres

A pretty, lovely chypre. There is nothing ugly about this on my skin. Like many other classics, I've smelled this on various people before and now I'm in a state of happy recognition.

Comparisons to that popular and modern chypre Guerlain Idylle are well made. There are other scents Caleche reminds me of as well, although it is too high quality to actually be like those scents. An equation of all the perfumes I thought of on first sniff looks like this: Caleche / Idylle > Cashmere Mist > Japanese Cherry Blossom Bath and Body Works > Versace Bright Crystal > Victoria's Secret Heavenly.

Caleche starts out very bright and airy, like Bright Crystal. The dry-down is warmer than Idylle's and reminds me of Shalimar with its powdery sweet balm. Caleche has everything I love in stages: citrus, chypre, rose, woods, powder. On the verge of love.

Lana148
Lana148

Out of the older perfumes out there, Caleche Hermes is one of my favorite. To me it's just gorgeous and timeless, develops beautifully on my skin. All perfume lowers have to try it. Classic!

joe70062
joe70062

Visited Saks today and received several samples. This was one of them. A previous reviewer stated that this is a wearable Chanel No. 5. I have to agree. At first I couldn't place the famaliarity, then it hit me. Dare I say it? It's better than Chanel! While both are "vintage grandma", this one is easy. You catch the aldehydes right away, then it slowly settles down to a dusty floral, then a powder. It is smooth. No crashing from top to middle to base. It glides through to the end. Sample if possible!

feelhot
feelhot

This is very interesting fragrance, but a strange one if you sniff it first time. When tested at store it was almost killing me with Iris and sweet ylang-ylang mixed into strong composition. I was feeling it is not me, far too strong, too sharp - feminine:P And the rose on the end-not for me. I was smelling citruses very weak, killed with other sharpness, but fortunately it was my favourite liily of the Valley and jasmine. Once with some shopping I got small trial size 1 ml of Caleche, left it in old home and forget about it for years. Then when visiting old home I found it with books. It was curiosity /which doesn't kill the cat/ how it will be now on my skin-I had to try. Little touch. Amber make something. This feeling. Something inside. Pulling my nose close to my wrist with Caleche on it, again and again. I touch Caleche on my neck and wrist again. I fell I want it more just after an hour, and this fragrance is calling me. It wasn't so crazy shaking like Rocabar makes me love it at once but it was so interesting. So deeply inside, so good like from old good French School of Parfumes and these irises and jasmine. Don't care they call it is feminine - it is sharp and strong, uncanny. It is just mine- Caleche - I love YOU:)
ps. and it stays on skin, I can feel it whole day-whole day of pleasure:)Some fragrances are made for me:)

LadyPilot
LadyPilot

If the idea for this perfume was to make a more wearable version of Chanel 5, then it worked just perfect! For those who would like to stay as close to No 5 as possible, but without getting a headache or nausea and spending a fortune, Caleche is a perfect solution. My grandma loves both and as a fan of Chanel, she found it hard to like anything as much - until she discovered Caleche. Grandmas are always right, so I shall not argue!:)

miracleborgtech
miracleborgtech

"As other perfumes are to detergent, so Caleche by Hermes is to the finest thrice milled soap." - Assiduosity

Completely agree! I have a small old bottle of vintage Caleche, and after reading Assiduosity's review, this reminds me of the finest milled soap. It smells so wonderful - sillage is very good. Lasts for hours.

Elviel
Elviel

I love Caleche but have been disappointed with the reformulations since my first purchase in the '70s.

The last one I bought was the Eau de Soie around 2012. This formulation is strong and performs well on my skin but I am coming to the end of the bottle.

I tried the Eau de Toilette and the Eau de Parfum today but I think they were the version in the bottle above (clear plastic top and the latest on the Hermes site has a gold top) and my department store has not stocked Caleche this year and will not be carrying Caleche any more (the sales assistant was kind enough to bring the testers out of storage).

The Eau de Toilette was very weak and performed very badly on my skin. The Eau de Parfum performed better but still under performed.

I think the newest sounds hopeful so I will try that as a good Caleche is really hard to beat.

Department store tester 2014 but probably from 2013.

I wanted to smell Caleche EdT again. I'm currently revisiting Hermes old and new.
I owned a sample of EdT many years ago and loved it.
But I don't go for vintage now and just wanted to see if current Caleche is still a worthy one. It was a rainy and chill spring day.
I can say: yes! It is worthy!
I tested it at Sephora in EdT, so I guess the tester was from the latest issue. It was under warm lamps... what these people think?
I was a little worried but there I went.
Yes! Caleche is still a good one! Not exactly the same as before, maybe aldeides are calmer, but that beautiful floral woody vibe is still there. A miracle of not destroying perfume by reformulation.
Good Hermes! Please, please, you're our hope! Don't ruin them!
Caleche exudes class (not necessary an expensive class, very often money doesn't equal with good taste) and it's a complex floral with many woody undertones.
Its evolution is classic and perfectly coherent with its nature. No strange joke, no silly variation, it goes smooth from the opening till the end and really last for hours. The drydown is woody in a very lovely classical way, not that annoying strange woodsy base that you smell in every single new perfume once that first stages are gone. It leaves a sensual trace on skin till the end.
It's calm, elegant, classy and extremely feminine, but never a frilly one. It just shows that a woman can be happy and serene without playing the candy clown show to express availability, sexyness and good mood.
Bottled grace.

przeczeks
przeczeks

It goes very well with Guerlain-Idylle. When I went to the store to try Caleche, I had Idylle on my neck, but nothing on my wrist. I sprayed Caleche on my wrist, then after half an hour went to my car. Idylle's sillage is very high (sometimes disturbs me), and when I smelled Caleche from my wrist, I think what I got was a mixture of the both. A background lilly-of-the-valley & rose followed by the beauty of Caleche took me to Wavel Castle's old and woody atmosphere. So I ordered a bottle of Caleche (EDT) and tried it. Without Idylle, it doesn't take me back to Wavel, but reminds me, this time, of Guerlain-Vetiver :) I like the idylle-caleche mixture more than Caleche only 'cos the mix gives that hint of sour old smell which hit me at first.

I also tried one spray from Idylle, and two-three from Caleche on my body, now it's just perfection. I advise it. They mix just too well. Caleche alone is also very very lovely, calming, peaceful. Doesn't take me to a ride on my horse in the woods though. I know of no perfume so far to fit that moment sinceI prefer the smell of the horse only.

karrykins
karrykins

Its not as difficult to find as one would think , most duty frees have it but it has been reformulated from Guy Roberts original 1961 .
It is still recognisably Caleche but with the top down - it has been somewhat toned down and has less sillage than it had and like No 5 , it is more faithful to the original in the EDT than in the EDP - I have just managed to buy a bottle prior to reformulation and its just gorgeous .
A huge burst of sparkling orange flowers , down into jasmine and iris and ylang ylang which gradually subsides into a warming sandalwood - whats not to love?
Its still very lovely in its soie de perfume guise but , it was once much ,much more , so much more aldehydic fizz and pop and the effects lasted much longer in the dry down - the powdery dry down used to last longer - I lament the passing of the dusting powder for scent layering but many houses are too worried about cancerous effects to produce dusting powder anymore - such a shame .
I would reckon the reason for the faster dissipation and quicker sillage is because Mysore sandalwood which would have been used in the original version, is no longer available and has been replaced with a chemical alternative which will not last as long.
No 5 is lovely but lasts approximately 10 seconds on me , this I can enjoy for much longer .
Its my "go to" summer scent , works very well in hotter climates - definitely a sandals and sundress kind of scent - I love it , I lament the reformulation of most scents , this I can just about live with but I can get through 100ml within a couple of months whereas 100ml could last me a whole year - it needs frequent reapplication with my chemistry or maybe I am slightly anosmic to it - my husband loves it .

Jojo12
Jojo12

+This is another favourite of mine. I return to it after intervals and wonder why I don't wear it constantly. It is fresh, cool clean and elegant and not too sweet. One to wear in summer, as my winter favourites - Magi Noir and Coco -seem too heavy for the warmer days. It is a delightful floral, with gardenia and iris oakmoss and sandalwood, which combine to give it a mystery and elusiveness.I picture a woman of charm and mystery wearing this, alluring without being too obvious. Not the sexy, earthy type of gal, but one who wears wispy scarves and floaty dresses. VERY feminine.

Germany
Germany

Powdery aldehyde , soapy and classical.
This is one of my favourite old school , classic fragrances. Its so wonderfully refind to perfection. . In my opinion it's better than number five and 22, better than most floral aldehydes that I came across or even own. This one is a stunner , I would love to smell this on other people. This is just such an elegant smell that got forgotten in this world of mainstream sweet non elegant perfumes.
When I wear Caleche I get compliments and people call it elegant and classy , soapy and stunning. I feel put together in Caleche. I feel like its the finishing touch to my outfit. I feel like Caleche is an everyday t shirt and jean signature smell for the right kind of woman that appreciates the simple things as well as the extravagant things in life. Caleche can be worn to a picnic as well as to a ballroom dance. Anywhere anytime as long as it suits the person. The only place Caleche would have a funny face on would be a trashy bar. It's just a bit too good for that.

stitchywitch
stitchywitch

It probably says something that, while I wear Caleche often, I just now remembered to review it. I had a small sample of vintage Caleche, which was glorious. My Mom bought me the reformulated EdT for Christmas, after my husband told her I liked it. Well... the reformulation isn't bad. It doesn't smell like a different scent. But it lacks the development of the original - what you get in the beginning is pretty much what you get all the way through. It's lovely and ladylike and pretty, but to my nose it's a bit boring. I wear it when I don't want to offend - no one has ever commented on it - and save the more challenging scents for my off time. Piguet Baghari is really similar and to my nose a whole lot more interesting. Staying power is good and sillage is moderate - I would consider this a nice fragrance to gift.

WiccanWoman
WiccanWoman

Oh my... does no-one but me associate this one with the briskness of the seashore? I am 57 now, and this has long been my special scent. My first bottle was a tiny collectible in the early 60s. I gather by reading many reviews that the formula has changed. What a shame; how sad. I've not had to purchase any since 1999 as I have some left in larger bottles. I also love such "hippie" oddities as patchouli & sandalwood oils, and a clover oil that used to be sold in Greenwich Village in the 70s, and rosemary & mint, Tibetan Mountain Temple perfume by Pacifica, rich frankincense, etc., but Caleche always takes me to the saltwater scent of the ocean....

incrediblemelk
incrediblemelk

I tried it on a card and quite liked it, but now I can't get past the fizzy aldehydes, like sherbet in my nostrils.

For me it smells uncannily like Estée Lauder White Linen, which also has that aldehyde fizz. Don't get me wrong, I like aldehydes – Chanel No.5 is one of my favourite perfumes – but here they seem to overwhelm the perfume.

Magie Noir
Magie Noir

Theoretically speaking, Caleche is changed a lot since the editions in the 1980's. Initially It used to smell like, powder/ soap/ musk and then develop into nice floral perfume with many shades. Now only on first whiff smells like it used to smell, however the heart and dry down is nothing but aldehydes. Kerosene, naphtha, awful!

Somehow identical to Rive Gauche. Though no one seems to have mentioned that.

Tigcris
Tigcris

This is my signature scent! When I wear it people always ask me 'What are you wearing??" I have had people run down halls to track me down! It has great sillage. Very classy

MyFairLady
MyFairLady

Love it! Beautiful lilly-of-the-valley, vintage scent. So gentle and elegant. So reminds me of my grand mother and the summers I spent in her house and garden.

Owlie
Owlie

A little luxurious slice of heaven. Though there is the initial burst of aldehydes, I find they burn off relatively quickly, and leave a scent that has an old fashioned chypre content, but an overall timeless appeal. To me, it really doesn't evoke an age, an era, a season, or a time of day. The effect is just classic and uplifting. I can't really see a teenager wear this, but I can see a tasteful twenty-something and beyond wearing this beauty.

Edited to add that I'm reviewing the EDT version.

lil_odessa
lil_odessa

I have a vintage mini of this...lovely, waxy aldehydes and soft powdery florals, like a more refined version of Madame Rochas. I have that, too, but Caleche definitely has a spicier, woodier edge that makes it sophisticated, while I see Madame Rochas as a much more staid fragrance. Great classic perfumery.
UPDATE: after a full day of wear, I must say that, yes, it really resembles Chanel No. 5 in the drydown. Fizzy citrus, spice, and wax. Still pretty nice.

degauss
degauss

An assault on the senses. Sheer powder. Sweet, soft powder. A half an hour in, something barely makes it to the surface - that gives it the slightest merely there impression of sharpness - may be the cypress, and then leaves again, probably overwhelmed by all the powder, quite like me. And that's about it. I couldn't take it after a few hours anymore, so I washed it off.

Do not, under any circumstances, recommend to people who are not too fond of powdery notes in their perfume.

I am, however, able to report ample projection and sillage from my impression of it.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

I remember wearing this in the 80's, and enjoying it. Recently, I was going by the Hermes counter, I decided to try the 3 concentrations.

The EdT is the "original" Caleche scent; although I imagine it has been reformulated since it's inception, any changes have remained true to the original. A short opening of aldehydes, but not as searing as some. Wonderful citrus following, and as the fragrance develops, the citrus runs gently into the floral and woody notes. The dry-down keeps to the floral-woody almost chypre-like warmth, delicate and sophisticated. I might just have to buy a full bottle again!

The Soie de Parfum, on the other hand, is NOT just a different concentration, but is a different fragrance, formulated to appeal to a "younger" demographic. The opening is much harsher, sharper, and an uncomfortable sour note is prevalent for quite a while. It is stronger, and has more sillage, than the EdT, but it is absolutely not the same, and not for me.

Caleche Eau Delicate is...nice, but so delicate that I can hardly sniff it on, and seems to disappear on my skin within about 30 minutes...

Clearly, it is the "original" EdT for me!

NicoleET88

Okay, so just as a heads up to you guys about the Soie de Parfum...it's TOTALLY different from the EDT. Admittedly my skin is a funny creature, but I find the SdP much soapier and heavier on the aldehydes, for a lot longer than in the EDT. Also, there seems to be much less spice overall, and when you get to the bottom, the scent gives the impression of sawdust. I guess one might say it's "heavier on the woods" in the base, but in my opinion it's just very dry and actually borderline unpleasant.

After receiving my sample of the SdP a few days ago and noting some dissimilarities between the two, I went back to Sephora today to test out the EDT again. My experience with the EDT was an initial citrusy aldehyde blast which dissipated within minutes, followed by a luxurious and silky few hours with creamy incense-like spices, before the whole fragrance melted quietly away.

Sigh.

oldnose
oldnose

I just received a sample of EDT I ordered. The first notes I get on my skin are lily and fizzy aldehydes. It immediately drys down to divine florals and on me a hint of spice. Unfortunately, I get very little sillage from almost all fragrances unless I use the EDP. This is a beautiful scent, so understated and elegant. I now must try the EDP, because I am sure I need it for my collection!

NicoleET88

I don't know what it is that I'm smelling as I look at the notes, but this stuff is divine. I was instantly struck just from sniffing at the bottle. Transported to another place entirely. Spritzed some on a card and put it in my wallet and now I'm sitting here typing this with one side of my brain in some kind of trance as I inhale this magical fragrance.

I could see myself carving out a niche in my wardrobe specifically for this perfume. It would only suit a particular look and mood, but I would make it happen if only to bask in the beauty of this scent. My ONLY caveat is the aldehydes, but as this dries down they disappear, leaving behind the intoxicating aroma of incense and spice. Like I said, I'm looking at the notes and have no clue how I'm getting this impression, but it's a firm one nonetheless.

Definitely decant worthy.

lemmenkukka
lemmenkukka

Love love love it! My mother had it in 1970ties and I had the luxurious body lotion of this in 1980ties and loved it more than the frag. Unfortunationally I could´nt find the body lotion for years, but visiting Stockholm´s NK Hermes boutique just this week I noticed they have it. Did not think a minute - instant purchase and OH WHAT A JOY I have now. This is ultimate classic, timeless elegance, pure heaven upon earth!

gracenote-floralspice
gracenote-floralspice

I do not think I have the vintage version so this is not a comparative review.

It simply cannot be.

The bottle I have is a rectangular one, glass and a simple round cap. The first spritz is followed by a sharp smell, that later calms down to a refined woody fragrance. It is a fragrance I would wear when donning my silver white off the shoulder dress for a dinner with my husband. It is the refined smell of cedar wood book cabinets, the softness of a light white dress, the stillness and lightness of an atic full of exquisite pictures and photo albums with exquisite memories - the stillness of the breeze and a halcyon day in autumn/fall when the earth breathes its mossy earthy breath in preparation for winter.

Caleche by Hermes is powdery perfection to my nose. Yes, there are similarities between this fragrance, Chanel No.5 and Amouage Gold, however I personally consider Caleche the best out of the three.

Despite being a powdery floral, Caleche also has some mossy, chypre qualities. The composition is smooth, dry and feminine, without being too clean or sharp. The most dominant notes on my skin include, ylang ylang, pink rose, oakmoss, iris, white musk and sandalwood.

It's such a classy and elegant fragrance. Caleche has been around since the 1960's, however I wouldn't call it dated. It transcends nicely into the world of modern-day perfumery, and at my young age of twenty-two, I would happily wear Caleche and feel comfortable in smelling it around me.

The drydown smells slightly incensey on my skin, with a rich blend of amber, oakmoss, vetiver and musk. I love this fragrance from start to finish. Caleche is right up there as one of my favourite Hermes fragrances.

Apparently Caleche has undergone quite a few reformulations since its release. This review is on the most current formulation, the one found in most department stores. I have no vintage to compare it to, but I must say that even this version is impressive, at least in my opinion.

normaesperanza
normaesperanza

Me encanta ya que su aroma es elegante, para mi gusto. Gracias.

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

From the very start this scent exudes an almost ethereal brilliance.

Whiter than white aldehydes support sweet and soaring citruses to form a counter-intuitively robust opening that never departs the perfume through its stately but complex development.

This structure, so light and airy and yet so strong, is a work of engineering magic.

It is a Paxton’s Crystal Palace of perfume design, enabling all the contents of this olfactory exhibition to be viewed in clear and yet flattering light.

The floral accord which is the centrepiece of this aromatic expo, comprises chiefly of iris, rose and jasmine with other blossoms.

It is so beautifully blended that it could be perceived as a single translucent form.

But alongside it comes a darker object, shaped perhaps by an indolic quality to the flowers, or the bitterness of oakmoss, which is a presence throughout or even a horses’ hay and smokiness from the vetiver.

Wherever this deeper counter melody comes from it is welcome.

It creates an internal tension within the fragrance that takes it from the realms of a good perfume to a great one.

Caleche is an expertly simple song of spring clean freshness and summer flowers set in opposition to an aromatic and animalic choral accompaniment.

It is a ride through dangerous streets at the dead of night in a beautifully appointed carriage.

++++++++++

Both men and women may ride in this coach, but neither for very long, it only takes short journeys.

makronen
makronen

Caleche was my signature scent for several years in the 1970s. I loved it and it suited me so nicely. It was the chypre that made the fragrance for me and I wore it with such pleasure. Years later when I picked it up again, I realized that it had changed and I felt sad. I have tried wearing the reformulated versions but something is always missing. As I still have some of the original bottles, I wear them instead and enjoy them.

TAM montenegro
TAM montenegro

I HADN'T TRY UNTIL FEW DAYS AGO...
SINCERELY I DON'T KNOW WHY I HAVE BEEN WASTING MY TIME WITHOTHER BRANDS.
WHEN I SMELLED IT, IT was heaven FOR me!

Moonclaw
Moonclaw

I agree with Truffles about the EDT, weak and a little metallic, but yes, there's an EDP and it is lovely and longlasting, much more aldehydic than the EDT...not remiscent of No.5 actually, other than a small hint. This is a great winter/spring daytime scent. It's a keeper for me....

suzrwin
suzrwin

This is the only Hermes I've met so far that is actually wearable for me, in the sense that it doesn't smell absolutely nasty. However, I agree with those that feel Caleche is a soapy scent---it definitely is on me. That doesn't have to be a bad thing, in my opinion, if you want to smell shower-fresh instead of perfume-laden. There are times in my life for that.

Sadly, Caleche has next-to-nothing sillage and zero staying power on my skin. Body chemistry obviously plays a role with the entire Hermes line. Nothing of theirs seems to work on me. I'll probably finish my sample, but definitely won't be indulging in a full bottle.

truffles
truffles

I gave this a proper wearing, from an airport tester, the other day and it's gone from 'wantlist' to 'underwhelming' for me.
Smelled DIVINE sniffed from the bottle, maybe it just doesn't agree with my skin.
I'd put Caleche, as a type, in with Rive Gauche and Calandre but strangely, although I never got the 'metallic' thing that people talk about from them, I get it very much when Caleche develops on my skin - a weird flat, metal smell.
I don't find it similar to No.5.
I wore the EDT, not sure if there's an EDP version of Caleche.

cumulnimbus
cumulnimbus

It was my first real scent. I'm afraid can't be objective with Calèche, it is as trying to judge myself with objectivity, just impossible. Many of my memories are strongly attached to it.

As someone who started using the scent in the 80's as a young teenager still with its original formulation, I must say that I've (of course) noticed the reformulation and how it affected both the quality and the original Guy Robert's design making it simpler, sweeter and flatter. However I am completely unable to live without this one so though I will try to buy some vintage bottles to cover the rest of my lifetime, I'm happy Hermes decided to reformulated it instead of opting for discontinuing the scent. The reformulation isn't the original but isn't totally awful, I mean is better than nothing for me. I guess Hermes wouldn't have reformulated Calèche if it wasn't due to actual restrictions over materials. Calèche is probably still the house best seller (at least it is in my country), so I wonder if reformulation comes as an unavoidable consequences of progress? I would gladly take some risks in order to continue smelling some original formulas (not only this one but many others Madame Rochas or Samsara, to give a couple of different examples) but they decide for us. If reformulation is just for cheapening the production then shame on Hermes, they'd rather reduce promotion costs and keep vintage formula.

Coming back to my perfume, I will try to use plain words to describe why I love Calèche so much, why was it able to stand in its central position as my interest on perfumes developed and my collection grew.

As many Hermes scents Calèche has this recognizable dry and woody edge that I find so unisex and which after the bright complex citrus-aldehyde notes opening (remarkable blend of green, yellow, orange citrus with white mediterranean flower notes here) keeps the sweetness of the middle flower bouquet notes under what I consider a perfect control (high quality materials are important here too for the subtle development of the flower notes dance). So as most of the house's scents, Calèche is less sweet while brighter than other perfumes of the same kind though it includes gardenia which is probably quite responsable for its specific soap-powder effect.

I learnt over the years that I like cedar quite a lot and usually prefer tonka bean over vanilla. I guess that together with the absence of civet makes the big difference between Calèche's drydown and Chanel n5's one and what makes Calèche a much luminous versatile scent and therefore likeable and wearable. In general, I find Calèche far more complex, elegant, refined and brighter than Chanel n5 which stands more clearly as a night scent in my opinion.

If Calèche works properly with your skin chemistry and if you are patient enough to let it fully develop all the way, you'd probably become another of its fans.

I use edt for spring- summer seasons daytime, soie for autumn and winter daytime and parfum for night and very special occasions. They all have a good longevity according their concentration, sillage is bigger in the soie version.

saguna
saguna

It's not my thing,and I'm so sad because I was expecting to like it.It's just exactly what I don't like in perfumes, but at the same time it's dear for me because my Grandma uses Pani Walewska Miraculum and it's exactly the same fragrance.

50 ml bottle of SDP sprayed twice for swap.

Whit
Whit

I got a sample of this because no one in my area carries Hermes and I was curious to try the brand. Well, on my skin it smells almost exactly like Chanel No.5, which isn't a bad thing, but I guess I was expecting something different. It's nice but it lacked the warmth that No. 5 evokes on my skin; I guess I could say it smelled "cold" if that makes sense. The sillage is moderate with great longevity. This is a very classy and elegant fragrance, but if I'm gonna fork over the cash, I think I'll stick with Chanel.

canadianpetite
canadianpetite

In the first few minutes, the aldehydes and sweet citrus greet me. After a while, the florals - ylang-ylang and jasmine the sharpness of both toned down by gardenia - become more pronounced to sweeten the top notes. I loved this right away from the initial spray. More for assured women. If you like perfumes that are light, soft, ozonic or sweet, skip this tester bottle. I had a chance to buy this in Laguna but unknowingly sniffed Kelly Caleche which I did not like. On my next trip, I will definitely pick it up or at Holt Renfrew if I can wait that long!

One spray on me,
Sillage: no more than a foot (although the sharpness of the perfume makes it seem about six feet)
Longevity: longer than 5 hours and loses the aldehydes as time passes

antfarm
antfarm

This is my signature elegant perfume for formal occasions. It makes me feel upper crust and somewhat bitchy...evil and conniving even. I think the "evil" is what makes it full of character and interesting. When I need steely woman-strength I call on Caleche: a smell so classy that it dares you to disrespect the woman wearing it. It's good breeding liquified.

To the nose it smells like an expensive soap. To my brain it smells like what Sister Iris would smell like from the television series "Carnivale", as played by Amy Madigan. She's an upstanding, pious member of the religious community at first glance, but she secretly makes out with her brother and murdered someone with an oar.

"When I die, I'm going to Hell. And if I'm very, very fortunate, my brother will be waiting for me with an embrace."-Sister Iris

aveilhe
aveilhe

Caleche is like a greener, sharper, drier, more masculine version of Chanel No. 5. (Actually, I think this would smell quite interesting on a man).

When I tested it, I found myself craving the creamy dry down of No. 5, but it never came. For me, Caleche is just too aloof -- no sensuality, no warmth, no richness.

When aldehydes are this predominant in a fragrance, I feel that it is important to have a contrast, something to balance the somewhat fizzy sharpness. But, here there is no relief.

Caleche transitions from aldehydes, to citrus, and then straight to dry wood. After a couple of hours, a hint of grassy-green vetiver lingers.

If you crave a bit of cheek-puckering dryness in your scents, this might be for you. In my case, I'll stick with my rich, creamy Chanel.

maryellen125
maryellen125

Only had a tiny tester vial in my 20's. Loved it, but too associated with an old BF to ever wear again.

pbluberry
pbluberry

I have a small vintage bottle of EDT. I love this. It smells so beautiful, classy that transends time. I don't think it smells old fashion at all. It was masterfully crafted and blended perfectly.

aoviatt
aoviatt

Oddly, I first smelled this on a man and had to know what it was. It goes on sharp on me, but is worldy and sophisticated and drys down to an intriguing spice that makes me feel I should be wearing a trench coat, while walking by the seine on my way to meet my lover in an out of the way bistro. If only perfume had that kind of power.

jamie.smith
jamie.smith

It's interesting that people have commented that this is what Chanel No 5 should smell like, because it is in fact quite reminiscent of the Chanel No. 5 Eau De Cologne, which they sadly do not make anymore. My mom has a bottle from the 80's still tucked away in her room for VERY special occasions. So, I got her a sample of this at Nordstrom. Hopefully it will fill its shoes....

VintageCaleche
VintageCaleche

This has been my favourite scent (with occasional deviations) since the 1970's.
Those who missed the earlier Guy Robert version can only guess at it's original beauty.
It is still possible to find older (pre-Soie) bottles, but quality is very hit & miss.
I consider myself fortunate to have a few excellent & treasured bottles of the original - if stored carefully it's still as beautiful as ever, stores as well as vintage Joy.
Hopefully, it will last me out as I should be quite lost without it!

Violetta*11
Violetta*11

Too many comments already. To add my contribution I just voted the other people comments that I liked or that expressed my thoughts better than myself. Anyway, if you like it, buy it - if you are lucky to still find it in the old formula, because soon it will disappear like some other exceptional ones and soon we'll be left with the ones that give headaches to yourselves and the ones around us

bond_girl1979
bond_girl1979

This was a "scrubber" for me. When I saw it on the dept store shelf waiting for me to test, I had hoped it actually might be a hermes that works on me...alas, not to be. As the smell worked it's way into my consciousness, my only thought was: "get me to the nearest shower". Then I was like, hang on, this is all very familiar, I've smelt it before...and then it dawned on me: Chanel no.5 eu premiere - it smells EXACTLY the same, and I really dislike that too, so no real suprises that this one didn't work for me. Aldehydes are a note that I simply for the most part find hard to tolerate, and there wasn't enough woods, spice or earthiness to balance the composition to a more palatable concoction. If you're an aldehyde fan or like chanel no.5 premiere it is likely to be your cup of tea.

mylancome
mylancome

The EDP is so great! This is what Chanel No. 5 should smell like, way better than the real Chanel No. 5 which is now a big disappointment.

Abendlicht
Abendlicht

Update : I have to admit, I gave it another try.....! I still really dislike the opening, but I Think what happens on me after this, is worth it. the woody notes on my skin remind me a bit of mild church incense surrounded with flowers. It's dry, classy feminine and has something really nostalgic.
I think I could go from dislike to love.... ;0)

-------original review--------
Oh my!... I feel so sorry that I don't like this one. I'll have to try again maybe.... But it's the second time I put it on from a vial... And there's something in it... I really dislike and I can't find what. I can recognize that it's a quality perfume, but something in it gets me at the throat!
I love Ivoire de Balmain, 24 faubourg... I can appreciate Arpege de Lanvin... This one :0( . I'm disappointed I wanted to like it! The vials are of the "Soie de Parfum " maybe a regular eau de toilette would be different. If I get the chance t try I'll update accordingly. The perfume seems to get better after a while on my skin to a point that I almost could like it... So maye the "bad" smell is from the opening only. But it get me too much at the throat at first it's sickening. Could it be the lily of the valley? I do like this usually, but in this one, not. As I'm writing the perfume is more and more likable. So I sum it up : if I could stop breathing for first 20 minutes.... I would love the perfume!

klopgovorun
klopgovorun

Caleche is my new go to fragrance. I only have a sample of it, which is about to run out, and if I continue craving it as much as I do now, I might have to invest in a bottle. If I were to sum up this fragrance in 2 words it would have to be an effervescent neutral--perfect for any season and every occasion. In the same category as Chloe EdP, Astor Place, and J'adore, only deeper, classier and more quietly brilliant. This fragrance is not an attention getter, it's more about understated confidence, and joie de vivre... it's a sparkling, jazzy Tuesday afternoon.

Update: I have 2 bottles of it now -- it's good! ;)

rockrose
rockrose

I agree with so many reviews for Caleche. It is aldehydic, soapy and has a definite feeling of aristocracy. I don't wear it when I go to town, as I don't feel it reflects my personality, but I still love it! I wear it when I am out doing my chores on the farm while dressed in jeans, irrigation boots and a wide-brimmed hat. But I am dreaming of a life where I am dressed like the lady in the ad for Kelly Caleche (which I think suits this fragrance better!) in jodhpurs and riding boots.

If you like fragrances like Madame Rochas (I get that too, Action), Arpege, Nocturnes and even So Pretty, chances are you will enjoy this beauty!

ginawadsworth
ginawadsworth

I only had one bottle of this which I wore when I was too young to be associated with. I found it beautiful and if I could find a vintage I would buy again. It was very sophisticated and elegant, never to be forgotten.

Denoula
Denoula

Gorgeous and unusual. I adore this but find it hard to say why. Let me just say what Caleche is not:
it's not girly or fruity or fluffy or sweet or cute or summery. It's not modern or old-fashioned. I don't find it floral, either. Other reviewers have called it classic, elegant, magical, velvety, complicated and full-bodied. Oh, and it is quite expensive, but amazing, engrossing and worth it. I hope always to have some on my shelf.

My3Champs
My3Champs

Caleche EDP, is Chanel' 5's sister, but less sweet. I have the lotion and EDP. I prefer Caleche over Chanel 5. Something about how it stays on me. It is my classic. everyone else can keep their Chanel...;)

K1
K1

I carry a treasure on my wrist; a drop from heaven that can't stop smelling it. A fresh deep woody aldehyde powerhouse.
Clache is a great feminine signature scent with bold classic sporty theme like 70's styles: wayfarer glasses and white roadster Maserati; that unfortunately in underrated unfair. It could be a top seller and much better that No 5. Sorry fans, but Chanel has nothing to challenge. The way is smells is much more comprehensive than No 5. So rare in smell and quality.

tsunnami
tsunnami

I've been waiting for about an hour for the sharp, pungent nature of the perfume to wear off and fade into the more floral part that everyone is saying...but alas...it isn't. Still sharp, still pungent, with a slight hint of old school soap.

I don't think this one works with my body chemistry. :(

bugmenot1
bugmenot1

One of my longtime favorites. To me, it is a very sophisticated, complex scent. Like most of my favorites, I first used it in the 60s.
@Action--I didn't see the connection to Madame Rochas, which I first bought in 1964 on my first trip to France. I had no idea that they share (at least a part?) of their formulation. They smell totally different to me. Mme. Rochas has a soft powdery feeling. Caleche is sharp and unsubtle but not harsh.
I think it is the best of Hermes--not so fond of the Jardin sur nil-type scents. Too harsh,

Cocinelle
Cocinelle

Caleche is a beautiful classic, a lovely vintage that follows an olfactory aesthetic typical of the 50/60s'. A resemblance to Chanel n. 5 is quiet detectable.
Aliphatic aldehydes last from the opening to the dry down.
The citrus, crisp at the beginning, slowly mellows as the floral notes blooms.
Sandalwood, cedar and vetiver combine gracefully with oakmoss and musk giving the impression of being in an exotic forest after the rain with a crown of irises and roses between the hair.
This fragrance is rich and sensual, therefore really powerful to the senses, but thank's to a clean and subtly powdery finish, Caleche manage not to loose poise and elegancy.

GoodVibrations
GoodVibrations

1961. Updated. Strict. Dry. Structured. Aldehydes that slice through emotion. Coarse leather lacking empathy. Soft fluid jasmine shifting underneath the surface in self-forgiveness, or in justification at the very least. Oakmoss on the ground with a few shoots of dry salty cynical vetiver. Faint aura of cumin human spice. What was once considered a feminine is now a seriously-I-mean-it masculine that smacks a red handprint on the likes of Cool Water's aquatic little rear, leaving a sheer and floury poof of powder in the air.

Heliotrope
Heliotrope

Like other reviewers here, this was also my first 'grown up' scent - I found it in the bathroom cabinet of one of my parents' friends, fell in love, and I have never tired of it. The comparisons with Chanel No 5 are spot on, this is definitely No5's equally beautiful sister, but Caleche is dryer, greener, woodier, more complex and less sweet. It has a beautiful subtle heart of creamy white flowers that emerge slowly from a fresh, woody, herbal foreground. It is perfectly balanced: the creaminess is elusive - it always seems to be hovering mysteriously just out of reach. It is difficult to identify ingredients, the best I could come up with would be jasmine, orange-blossom and gardenia wrapped in cedar, sandalwood and something citrussy (bergamot?).
Perfect for going out or work, any season, and any age-group.

boruvka44
boruvka44

Elegant and romantic. It smells so light and summery.
Luxurious, dry, clean smell.
Reminds me of summer in Italy or Greece, freshly showered, standing in the breeze.

EDP - Classic white soap, bergamot, neroli, lemon grass and fragile strawflowers, rounded by velvety sandalwood.
EDT - this soap is softer and rounder, like bath oil with flowers.

Longevity and sillage is almost the same at both.

I love these simple Hermes flacons. Caléche EDT is in clear glass bottle (to die for), EDP "Soie de Parfum" in sanded glass. Those flacons and a color of liquid says a lot about the slight difference between both concentrations.
My testers have caps.
I don`t think it`s similar to No. 5 (I owned all 3 concentrations), which is kind of old fashioned and it smells strong aldehydic oily. Caleche is crispy, dry and surprisingly modern scent. I would have never guessed it was released in 1961. One of the most beautiful soap perfumes.
CHIC!

lindak55
lindak55

Enjoyed reading all the comments and really need to treat myself to a bottle again.
I first came across Caleche in the early 70's when I was doing a language course in Madrid. One of the other participants, a stewardess (that's what they were called then!) wore it, let me try it and I fell in love with it. My first grown-up scent! I bought my first bottle, duty free, on the way home.
I know that it is still available in Spain as is the Kelly Caleche, which is nothing like the original.

monamonib
monamonib

iread last review and iam got the same smell soapy smell but ido spray over my home cloth and give me the feel ijust wear fresh clothes just washed soap smell if u like that type and stay log

kuanyin4
kuanyin4

I love chypres, and I welcome strong perfumes. From the reviews it seemed a cinch that this would be a winner for me. I got a vintage, but sealed bottle of pure parfum. Score! Uhh-ohhh...this was one of my few blind buys that just did not work at all. It turned to pure soap on me. I gave it about 10-15 minutes in a vain attempt for glory, but sadly had to wash it off.

Jellybean
Jellybean

Medievaly Superb! Absolute love!
It smells ancient, some centuries ago; renaissance, victorian era princesses and castles, to best describe this scent. It is beyond stunning!
Aldehydes with hints of citrus and powder, however more complex than that; it adds up to one beautifully unique masterpiece like this.
Feminine, classic and timeless fragrance:)

Peachply
Peachply

Yup, this is a "Big Girl" perfume. It was one of my first which my Mother bought me. I never liked it, It's too strong for my taste and seems forced. It was much too formal and classical for me at that time.
Everyone say "Aldehyde"

dlane1953
dlane1953

The EDP is POWERFUL. The aldehydes nearly blew my head off, but after a while I began to note the soft sweetness of the florals intermixed with the woody pungent fragrance of the cypress. The longer I wore it the more I loved it. The drydown is spectacular. If you love the scent of mossy forests you are gonna love the drydown of this scent. Very addictive!

mimi.smell
mimi.smell

Wonderful perfume! Elegant fresh floral, excellent quality. Pricey, but it worth. I love it!!!

ladywildswan
ladywildswan

This is a personal favorite that I have worn since the mid-60's. It was one of my first big girl perfumes. Don't discount what the original was and still is. This is a very classy scent for day wear! It's worth the price and effort to find the real thing. Warm, elegant, class, clean... and somehow sexy. Not cheap or trashy like so many of today's new scents. Happy hunting.

akats
akats

I smelled it recently, and didn't like it at all! As it has happened with "Rive Gauche" all I smelled, was a hair spray vague smell, as if I'm in a hairdresser's salon. Maybe it doesn't blend well with my chemistry and is nice to others.

krmarich
krmarich

Nearly forgotten in its original formula, Caleche was once the scent of the regency and its wannabes. This is my ultimate Princess Grace pairing.

It was large, floral chypre that opened with aldehydes and hesperidic notes-lemon/mandarine and neroli. The florals rush in with lots of lily of the valley, rose, jasmine and ylang ylang. They sit on a well behaved chypre foundation-oakmoss makes a great supporting cast with sandalwood and a nutty musky base. The whole adventure is about 4 hours or so. Its sort of like Eau Sauvage for ladies in that regard.

The caleche was a carriage designed to show off a lady. It fit really well in the first class section of a 747 for the jet set. Its dreamy, romantic and flirty. Yes, she is now 51 and never looked better.

It took me a few tries to find an affordable original. My biggest question is "Why would such a beauty be changed?". I guess Kelly Caleche and her bad plastic surgery reformulation speaks volumes about an ever fading art. My collection is quickly becoming a museum-sniff but dont wear!

the first blast of aldehydes in this will practically knock you off your feet. it reminds me of k krizia, but unlike k it dosen't stay sharp. it mellows out to a wonderful softly sweet and dry floral. i love dry perfumes. this was a pleasent surprise as i didn't expect to like this at all on first sniff. the lasting time was good as well, over 5 hrs until i showered for work or it would of probably been still detectable. nice.

finzi
finzi

Did somebody say Chanel No. 5? If you've tried Chanel 5 but weren't too sure about it, try this. It's very similar but has a slight variation on the theme that might appeal to you.

I get a huge blast of the aldehydes and bergamot sitting on top of jasmine. The vetiver peeks its head above the parapet just enough for me to know that it's there.

In my (uneducated) opinion, very nicely blended and a great classic scent. Rich, opulent and sophisticated.

Undecided
Undecided

When sprayed on paper, I love it. But it reminds me so much of White Linen! If I want to smell like White Linen, I can buy White Linen at half the price of Caleche.

katebensley
katebensley

----like a peppery old crusty leather ladies shoe from my grandmother's cedar lined closet. I am 43. She threw her white linen church gloves in the closet with the patents after washing her hands with Ivory at Marshal Field's during the Christmas rush to purchase the silver tea pots for the after mass tea. Church, white lace and brown leather shoes. and pepper not fruit. flowers--perhaps dried up musty attic flowers.
I don't hate, I just--wow--old...and I like old. I just don't necessarily want to walk around with the smell of a funeral following in my wake. ..and I was going to be a funeral director.

omerpervaiz
omerpervaiz

The perfume is not bad but also not too good perhaps due to so many similar fragrances are available in the market, this doesn't stand tall.
Like so many feminine fragrances of 60's and 70's, this one also differs from the most of the female fragrances being commercially prepared nowadays which are sweet and floral. Rather this one is more inclined towards chypre/floral side.
It starts with burst of spices and flowers then rapidly evolves into calm, smooth and creamy aroma which resembles a good quality female body lotion/cream. It's dry down is prominently soft and powdery. There maybe some woody notes also but I am not able to detect them.
I must say it is a soft romantic fragrance best for evening wear and for intimate moments. Suites better for spring and winter season.
Projection is weak, Longevity is good.
I give it 7.2 out of 10.

smelling_gr8
smelling_gr8

wow wow wow I love this one, somehow I can picture white fluffy clouds and floating lol yes it does have powdery soapy quality to it but to me it smells divine, clean and comforting and very classy. Good longevity too and I want to keep smelling my clothes all the time ;-)

Migalex
Migalex

Classical and classy. Amongst the aldehydic perfumes it has a very particular character and to me what gives it that character is the scent of lemon and orange - to me this scent is about lemony and orangeish aldehyds. The current reformulation is very close to the original and it still has one of the best drydowns I ever smelled in a perfume. Staying power is very good. Overall, very very good, and to me the best Hermes scent. The EDT does not remind me much of Madame Rochas. The soie de parfum does, right upon application. The scent both remind me most of is Rive Gauche, although the soie de parfum more, because it is stronger on the gardenia and a bit lighter on the lemon. Right after application, it reminds me a lot of Madame Rochas, and in the next half and hour, because of the strong gardenia note, it feels very very close to Rive Gauche. Only in Rive Gauche the aldehyds seeem to be of a different type, in Caleche they are smoother. What makes them quite similar for sometime after application is the combination of lemon and gardenia in Caleche and geranium and gardenia in Rive Gauche, because the scent of geranium is very lemony, only less acidic, floral lemon really. Also, Caléche is not powdery, like Rive Gauche and unlike Madame rochas, which is very very powdery. As time goes by, the scent of gardenia seems to wear off, and the scent gets more and more lemony, now acquiring a character of its own. Although they say lemon is a top note, there must be something in the fragrance base which keeps its scent throught the drydown and actually makes it get even more pronounced as time goes by. It lasts longer, as I said, thean the scent of gardenia. This resilient lemon note is what gives Caleche its particular character amongst aldehydic fragrances. Because of it, it feels much less feminine than Madame Rochas or Rive Gauche and aslo more common. They all have a common feel though, and one must include in the group also Calandre, closest to Madame Rochas and very powdery as well. Although I do admire Caleche and consider it unquestionably one of the most classical scents still out there these days, I do like Madame Rochas and Rive Gauche better, actually Madame Rochas better than Rive Gauche, and I am speaking of the current reformulations. Still, Caléche is in my opinion an absolutely fantastic scent, as are Madame Rochas, Rive Gauche and Calandre. As I said, after four hours or so the drydown is absolutely heavenly and keeps projecting. A really big plesure to wear.

VeronicaRoy
VeronicaRoy

This was my first real perfume in the early 1970s. A lovely floral, very "couture". Reminds me of Cacherel shirts and strict navy gabardine.

id
id

Yes, it has a bit sharp opening but after that the smell becomes the best floral bouquet of flowers I've ever smelled. I couldn't stop sniffing my wrist. It is a little bit soapy and powdery but I could never call it a smell for a mature woman. On me it is 100 percent floral composition in a very classic bright and uplifting way. Nothing about being heavy or serious (I tested it in october). Sillage was wonderful, longevity 6 hours plus.

angel6
angel6

Aprilmoon I know what you mean I had this many years ago, and could not wear it, so I gave it to one of my friends, and she was happy with it.Quite a strong perfume.

aprilmoon
aprilmoon

I scored a bottle of this at TJ Maxx long ago, and hated it once I got it home. I cannot describe it...reminded me of finger nail polish remover. There was nothing pretty about it.

thatbrownelf
thatbrownelf

Starts off with a juicy citrus aldehydic burst, then softens to powdery floral with touches of rose, ylang ylang and iris. A musky, leathery, animalic note lingers in the background and grows more apparent as Caleche dries, keeping the florals from going too powdery or sharp. Warm mossy dry woods round out the scent, and I can't help thinking this is one of the truest chypres I've smelled thus far. Feminine and classy with a hint of masculinity to give pause. I can understand the references to Chanel No.5, but Caleche seems more like a second cousin rather than a direct relative.

nancyjh
nancyjh

This is an old standby of mine for the workday. Stays on, not too powerful or too sweet but I can understand how on some it would come off like an old handkerchief. Remember Maggie on Northern Exposure? This was her favorite.

jasmasid

LaniC -- excellent observation and very aptly described by you, but it is that very hint of pathos that makes this such a very special scent. Just as a tinge of sadness makes music more beautiful. And how, at the height of joy we can be reminded of some long gone bitter-sweet memory. A good scent should always suggest a number of conflicting emotions.
And, once it has hit the right note it should never EVER be reformulated.

jasmasid

Wore it for evenings from the time I discovered it, 1977, until about 2008. Now, I can't even get it at the Hermes Boutique -- their link took me directly to "Kelly Caleche" (whaaaaat?)
So, I'm now in the market for substitutes and might even consider very seriously formulated fakes: Perfume makers, are you listening? Perfume forgers, get into your labs.
Just as no person is indispensable, no perfume is indispensable. I will find a Caleche-like fragrance in the end, even if I have to make it myself!!
Any suggestions anyone?

Christchurch
Christchurch

I used to love this and it was my signature scent in 80's. I don't know if my taste changed or the product changed... I don't like it anymore.

Scandia
Scandia

I used to wear this perfume in the 70's in NYC. Men used to stop and ask me what it was all the time. I've never worn a perfume that created that reaction other than Oscar de la Renta, which I used to love, but it seems to smell different these days...maybe it's just me.

LaniC
LaniC

I can appreciate the history, the background, and the reputation of Caleche. In many ways, it is a beautiful scent. It is clean, elegant, and polished. Yet it leaves me cold. The best ingredients are all there, all masterfully blended, but it lacks personality. It reminds me of a well-dressed, cultured woman who has read all of the right books, goes to all of the right events, and mingles with an elite crowd, but she is too stiff and status-conscious to enjoy life. I feel a sense of oppression and sadness in this scent, maybe because its heavy soapiness conjures the image of luxurious flowers and spices "imprisoned" within four walls of soap fixatives. Normally soapiness doesn't get to me in a perfume, but for some reason, I can't bear it in this one. Maybe it's my body chemistry that makes this fragrance a disaster on my skin. Maybe I was just unfortunate enough to get a bottle that was a little off. Either way, I will keep this on my perfume shelf and off of my skin.

I never knew that my bottle of Calèche is the same to Madame Rochas Parfum de Toilette first release in 1960. Quite shocking actually that Guy Robert made the formula in 1960 for Rochas and changed only a minor detail of the same perfume for Hermes in 1961 for their release of Calèche. Needless to that I adore both!

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

I have the EdT, presumably the latest, reformulated version, but I’m not sure. It starts off sharp, aldehydic, and very synthetic-smelling with a lot of citrus, including something that manages to smell a little like yuzu. Then it turns into a powdery, aldehydic floral.

The sillage is a soft floral, almost like ylang-ylang, while the aldehydic-citrus is apparent close to the skin. There’s sandalwood in the base, and a little musk, but it’s not strong, allowing the florals to persist up to the end. For an EdT, the sillage and longevity are good, 6-8 hours on skin, and still present on clothing the next day. It's too floral for my taste, but if you like chypres, you would probably like Caleche.

This perfume is pure, classy perfection. It is the epitome of chic and much cleaner than Chanel no.5. My all time favorite fragrance.

George K.
George K.

Caleche(low carriage from the 19th century,svelte,light)...The name refers to the world of the horse. 1961,The first women's fragrance of Hermes,one of the most amazing perfumes ever created by Guy Robert.Rose,jasmine,iris,ylang ylang adorned in aldehydes,sandalwood and vetiver....

This perfume is pure heaven! It smells so classy and sophisticated. I dont think it smells like Chanel no.5. It's much much better than that. More complex and more dry. It's for a woman that is not afraid to be unique.

fanny
fanny

Maybe Caleche (soie de parfum) is going to be my new signature scent (at long long last, will I have a signature scent again?).
It is feminin, chic, totally disarming and enchanting. Received a 100 ml bottle today over the mail and am terribly pleased...!

I agree Caleche seems very much like N°5 de Chanel. There is great similarity in the hart and base notes, but I can not wear N°5 without getting a severe headache.
(Without exception all Chanel perfumes give me a headache, even stress, which certainly won't do.)

Not this golden soie.
No worries, just fun!
A timeless classic.

Edit 22/04:
Alas, this one is no more. In the end the drydown reminded me too much of White Linen, which in my case won't do either.

empressevie
empressevie

Mmmmmm. So glad I found this site. It has led me on so many heavenly perfume journeys.

Tried this today. Wonderful at first blast, filled with that classic, classy rich floral aldehyde joy. I'm thinking, this is good, good, good. Just what I'm looking for.
Then, there was a bit of a bump in the journey. Something (and looking at the middle notes I can't work out what!)starting turning this into a varnish, lacquer type smell. Oh no, I thought, not another no go with my chemistry (or is it my nose???). That to die for, restrained and expensive floral note was still there, but overlaid with this very chemical note.
Then, finally, it disappeared. And I was left with a sweet, but powdery sweet, not screeching sweet, classic floral with depth from the woods. Just divine. A truly complex, enticing aroma. And every time I lift my hand, I get the whiff. Just think ladies at cocktails and lunch, Audrey Hepburn type, with exquisitely made and fabriced dresses, and pearls or discreet diamonds. That's the word for this, discreet, but alluring. In the same style as Chanel No 5, and Organza. Very expensive, very enticing.
On my wish list, but not cheap, so I'll have to wait, sadly. I agree, it wears close, but stays long, it doesn't disappear on me.

LaPetite
LaPetite

This is quite a controversial perfume , from what i can see on the reviews .
I Will cherish this scent forever , really . It was one of my Mom's favorite perfume , thus i have a very deep sentimental attachment with Calèche , and it will always be so .
This generous and feminine scent will always be synonym of a loving Mom to me.

Bebe70
Bebe70

I would name it "So Chic"!!
Extremely feminine smell.

mediterranean
mediterranean

Caleche is a lovely perfume for work, very smart and a little bit posh. For an intelligent woman who knows where she is going and never looks back, without regrets. Very French.

krishka
krishka

hm... the beggining really reminds me of Chanel N5...very strong aldehydes....then turns spicy on me...quite masculine scent, not unpleasant, will give it a try again....
doesn't last long at all :(

orchidlover
orchidlover

I used to be not a fan of vintage perfumes, but I start to discover the hidden gems such as Caleche. It is a wonderful, timeless fragrance, it's a bit green on me. I could wear it as a modern fragrance could do. I love it and I want it so much.

perfumia
perfumia

strange that some people think it is like chanel no 5, I hate that perfume, it makes me feel quite ill, yet i love Caleche and have worn it for years....?
as above it makes me feel elegant and confidant, and a little bit retro-

mmm, so good! I had a small vial of this which probably belonged to another era, because the tester I find nowadays it's not the same. Also the Soie de Parfum is very nice. This is what I would call a typical classy French perfume. It's very elegant, sharp and a little serious yet not unapproachable.
It exudes classyness and confidence.
It's a burst of cold flowers + aldehydes that it becomes woody in a completely different way than modern scents. The wood in Caleche could smell a little musty on some chemistries but never that crap plastic wood drydown I smell around now.
On my skin it never worked wonders as my chemistry doesn't agree with aldehydes, but when my mom used this many years ago it worked wonders on her!
Good sillage and awesome lasting power! Still talking about old formulation.

missm

@Dina, The chemical composition has definitely changed. I have heard (from someone who knew Guy Robert) that Hermes changed the original formula in order to use cheaper ingredients. Guy Robert no longer cares for the scent, though he loved his original. I think it is still nice, and it is still my favorite, but it is sad to think how it has changed. Maybe we should deluge Hermes with a "Bring back the original Caleche" letter-writing campaign.

dina
dina

I tested the Soie de parfum today, and it smelled exactly like Chanel #5, it has nothing to do with the Caleche I used to wear around 20 years ago .... Where did the old good Caleche go? Reformulation!!

missm

I adore this scent and have worn it for over 20 years. I do not like to be too aggressive with scents and have discovered a way to create a light, "floating in the air" way to wear this. After I wash and dry my hair, I spray a little at the base of my neck and massage it up into my scalp. It mellows beautifully and I get so many compliments. I don't reapply until I wash my hair again. I have the full line of products but only just recently purchased the Soie de Parfum for the fist time. I found it to be a deep yellow color, and also it has a much heavier sensibility, so much so that it seems to be an entirely different product. Still not sure I like it as much as the edt...

magie
magie

I do agree that Caleche is elegant and lovely, chic and sophisticated. I love the soft leather note that I smelled, subtle and nice. On me however it smells musty,like a chest of old clothes found in your grandmothers attic. I know the culprit, it is the aldehydes. They have never worked with my body chemistry. The drydown is lovely soft and powdery, like Rouge. If you can wear this perfume great! I do admire it and on others it smells divine. On me it smells like mothballs. Yes it is very much like Chanel no.5. I think though that I will stick to Hiris and Rouge. Rouge smells old world and classy but there are no mothballs. Well that is OK. There are plenty of lovely leathers out there for me to try.

IamWoman
IamWoman

Caleche is a complex fragrance. It opens with bold, bright citrus and aldehydes, yet mellows to a smooth, almost-powdery, yet pristine finish. As several previous comments have stated, it IS elegant, but not overbearing. It IS mature and noble, yet not "frumpy". It DOES radiate a certain confidence and sophistication found in "uptown" women who live the fine life, including wearing the Hermes scarf I read about earlier here, or drink the "velvety dry Italian wine" also mentioned. This fragrance is definitely NOT for girls, but for self-assured women who have no problem making a statement about themselves wherever they go. That statement speaks class, "breeding", education, leadership, experience and travel, and style. This woman is her OWN woman, and she never apologizes for it...maybe that's the slight touch of sharpness and "distance" found in Caleche. This is not an everyday fragrance for an everyday woman, but one who either IS set apart, or doesn't mind setting herself apart from the crowd. She's a leader...whether a queen or princess in a castle; board member of the Museum of Modern Art living in a mansion; or, a Liz Claiborne-wearing, carpooling mom who's president of the local PTA chasing kids and labradors; this woman is distinct and decisive. She stands apart, and is not afraid to do so. How else can I describe Caleche? Complex, yet balanced. Sharp, semi-dry, yet smooth. It definitely speaks up for itself, yet it doesn't "yell". It's womanly, yet not "sugary", edible or super-floral. It makes a statement, and is not for the timid, although it is not "loud". To the contrary, its statement is very clear, direct, and concise. It says: "I am classy, intelligent, sophisticated and well-educated. I know what I want and what I like, and I don't play games. My word is my bond. I enjoy the finer things in life, and I've worked to get them. I am a woman who loves being who she is." This is a permanent member of my fragrance family.

lialu
lialu

Sorry, sorry, this is not for me at all. To dry, to saopy, to....non-sensual. It's a complex scent, qualty, no doubt, but it does not speak to me at all. Makes me think of uptight people. :-(

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

Why can't I like this? I love aldehydes, I love soapiness but this smells miserable. It reminds me of some kind of embalming fluid - it is serious and joyless. Luca Turin described it as a 'wan' aldehydic and I'm afraid that I completely agree.

I agree with Sherapop: Calèche is worth having at any price.

Sissi
Sissi

MMMMMMMMMMMMM? i wonder if Hermes Caleche stole the ingrediants from Chanel no 5. because they smell the same
so there's not alot to describe.
it has the same Aldehydiac note and it's elegant and chic this perfume is perfect for wearing a cream shelf dress
going to a fashionable daytime garden
soiree. if chanel is a nighttime aldehyde Hermes Caleche is for day.

probably women who like very feminine chanel no. 5 types will like this. i always want to wear it becasue it is so nice but honestly it takes 10 hours and some running around before it has a nice effect on me. hermes makes the most wonderful classy perfumes. i wear belami always

LadiesRed
LadiesRed

My French grandmother loves this perfume, when I was buying it for Christmas in 2009 I got curious and sprayed a sample on my wrist. The scent was powerful but elegant. I am sure Chanel N5 is as lovely!
I don't think Caleche's scent is for old ladies but for women with fine taste.

In attempting to determine why KELLY CALECHE was not just called KELLY, since it has nothing whatsoever to do with CALECHE, I decided to avail myself of this opportunity to spritz some of the great classic on and to finally write my review of CALECHE, one of my favorite perfumes and the soapiest of the floral aldehydes in my collection.

What marks the distinction between CALECHE and her granddaughter, KELLY? It's not just that the notes are very different (which they are), or the structure (which it is). Nor is it the fact that CALECHE has a true development trajectory that KELLY altogether lacks. No, the most significant distinction between these two Hermes creations can be summed up in one single word: depth. This depth characterizes every layer of CALECHE, so even if CALECHE stopped after the opening or the middle stage or presented its drydown linearly, CALECHE would still be a worthy creation.

But CALECHE also has an untold complexity, inducing in the wearer a journey through the unfurling layers of a beautiful perfume. Although I like floral aldehydes in general, I am discovering that my favorites are those that push the limits of their genre, passing also through chypre-like phases.

CALECHE opens with a bright burst of citrus aldehyde that proceeds to illuminate a garden of flowers. The wearer is next led through a forest where the flowers have been interspersed among woody and moss elements but retain their distinct presence. At this stage, the sun continues to shine down through the large trees casting shadows to the side and leaving the flowers to shimmer in the light. As the sun begins to set, the flowers begin to recede into the darkness, and as the temperature drops, dew begins to coalesce on the leaves of the trees. This fresh pristine feeling persists as the perfume slowly, over the course of several hours, fades away.

Wearing CALECHE is to me the epitome of luxury. When this, my third bottle, is empty, I'll buy a fourth--at any price!

Lady Venomtongue
Lady Venomtongue

the most "bearable" scent for me out of all Hermes line , its well blended for classic floral / faint leather / Dry fans or lovers .
apparently i am not destined to accept Hermes in perfumery but i like & respect their leather work heritage.
Caleche for me lacks something , something that would boost an image of gracefully favourable rounded femininity to the scent . again there is no association what-so-ever with Great Chanel No5 .
Caleche possesses a sense of heatedness ( as of Sahara desert ! ) , sourness , unbelievable dryness & burning sensation to my nose, that is well combined with the aldehydes to form an undeniable annoying sensation to me.
i don't see any association that if u happen to be a true classic style perfumista or an old hopefully "much experienced" well trained nose of a woman , then u should most likely love / like or accept such scent like Caleche.
last but not least , For me , i couldn't care less if Grace Kelly or even the Queen Hatchebsuut of the Pharoahs had / would have ever worn it .

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

I would describe Hermes Caleche as the scent of Ma Griffe perfume and a vintage Coty Airspun face powder, tossed about in a new calfskin handbag.

Complicated, layered, powdery, floral leather.

If the above sounds like something you would enjoy smelling, you'll like this one. I sure do!

milena
milena

I love floral aldehydes and this perfume smells divine, but not on my skin.On my skin smells powdery and soft and thats only the first ten minutes after applying, then downhill,from there on just a stale type of smell.I gave the perfume away to my mother, on her just divine.

Snoo
Snoo

I just got this for my birthday and the smell is so delicate, classy and imposes self confidence.
When people smelled it from the bottle, they thought it would be way too much for my age and it smelled awful on my mum's skin - but when I wore it my boyfriend said it smells amazing on me and couldn't stop sniffing me.
So, in order to wear Caleche, you need to have attitude, self confidence and just a bit of sensuality.
I think it's perfect for autumn.

teedee
teedee

I tried soie de parfum, and totally agree with most of the comments here..it is a classic scent. strong and very lasting one, i may add. it takes a lot of confidence to wear this one.

and it evolves! starts fresh neroli-orange blossomey, then some accords i cant describe yet, and then the lovely lovely dry, smooth, beautiful, slightly powedery drydown.

i love the fact that i always catch a glimpse of this one when i move my wrist (i spray a little to test on my wrist).

amelie
amelie

So classy! Sharp and delicate at the same time, very elegant fragrance for modern princess. Fits perfectly with the trench coat and Hermes scarf, not so for casual style. Somewhat cold and distant, even though I love warm fragrances, but also like intangibility of this magical fragrance. Glamorous, slightly arrogant, has a style. Aldehydes clearly felt from the top note, even hours, still feels purity, which radiates. Caleche is the most beautiful in late autumn and early spring.
For me this is really a top among the perfumes and I plan to come back to it.

kiselina
kiselina

I agree with the words of Chat Lunatique-there is a HUGE difference between soie de parfum and EDT. First I tried edt and fell in love with it. But being greedy, I ordered soie de parfum without prior testing, and I bit off more than I could chew :( Classy, refined, noble, but unfortunately not a fragrance I could wear.
It was given away and now I am a happy owner of Caleche edt.

Lime909
Lime909

Memories from my childhood. I grew up with my mother having this as one of her favourites. As a small child I would sit in her bedroom and look at the forbidden closet where she kept her beautiful perfumes. When she wasn't looking, I'd open the lids and smell them :-) I always particularly loved Caleche.

PolarBear2
PolarBear2

I agree with Malegria. On my cousin, Caleche smells so classy. On me, I smell like an old wrinkled woman. Caleche and I dont get along well :(

Taliera
Taliera

Even though I am 22 I love this perfume! It smells old-fashioned but very classy. I find it has a positive vibe - probably from all the citrus. The floral notes make it even more attractive. Unfortunately I bought the EDT, and this is not as strong as the Soie de Parfum. But then again, Caleche is a very strong perfume, so I think the EDT is adequate for everyday use.

Mals86
Mals86

I wanted to like Caleche. I find leather notes fascinating (I continue to be entranced by the leathery drydown of my beloved Chanel No. 19) and I kept hearing that Caleche had a hidden base of leather within its aromatic woody resins.

On me, it doesn't have any leather. On me, it is horribly dull, as if I had intended to wear perfume but instead sprayed on the essence of glue and sawdust. I get no neroli or citrus whatever, and it's barely aldehydic on me at all. (I have to admit here that I actually like aldehydes to a moderate degree, although I don't go looking for them.) Someone here has described it as "elegant and richly dry," but on my skin, it's dry as dust and about as fragrant.

I get the sense that if it worked on me, Caleche would be terrific. The potentiality is there. However, it's so thin and sour that on me I cannot imagine wearing it.

solocha
solocha

This must be a classic, but to me it does not appeal very much. It is elegant in a obvious, average way, typical for past decades when ladies smelled of aldehydes, cleanliness and soap. It has shown an interesting note though in heart - the incense (unusual type of incense found in our Catholic church), but this has disappeared in the drydown. Now there is only a mediocre scent, but maybe it's just my skin that many perfumes finish it off in the same way on it. I agree there is a slight leather note also.

glitteralex
glitteralex

This is a very mature scent, to be liked by those who enjoy the character of Chanel 5 but find it too accessible....

Malegria
Malegria

How funny it is sometimes. I am still trying to make friends at least with ONE Hermes scent and I simply can`t. Caleche is very stinky on me, smells like an old hunting bag of mine where at all times of it`s life I carried various perfumes, which gave it a specific scent. On my friend - absolutely marvelous!!!Smells woody, smokey and the neroli is very distinct. It has a certain sourness but does not overwhelm with it.And the leathery note is like very thin, very soft leather glove, light brown.
Too bad it does not want to do anything with me.

deli_s
deli_s

"... with all my respect to Hermes and to those, who like this perfume, I have to admit that for me it smells "an old lady's bag"..."
I feel Caleche like old-fashioned, stood many years in hidden. I don't like it... :(

guest_aufa_malaysia
guest_aufa_malaysia

my mom told me that my grandmother used to wear this fragrance..and she was shocked as i told her that it is still available out there.. and now, she just keep saying that she want it.. i guess i have to order it through the internet because i don't think they got it here.. =(

soirdelune
soirdelune

With Caleche, the words 'classy' and 'elegant' come up time and time again. How very true. To my mind, this is the Grace Kelly of perfumes: beautiful and refined. Would like to smell the difference between the EDT and EDP.

takemyhusbandplz
takemyhusbandplz

I'd rate this a 3.5 out of 5. Caleche EDP is very elegant and feminine. A true woody chypre. It is a classic sort of fragrance with a slight edgy dryness. My first impression of Caleche on my skin, was that it reminded me of wine. Caleche is a full-bodied & velvety dry Italian wine, with juicy tannins. Caleche EDP I save for special occasions when I want to feel classy & sophisicated. It's not a scent I would want to wear everyday nor, is it a scent that is 'me', but it is a masterpiece in it's own right.

caribou55313
caribou55313

In my head, this sits next to Cristalle, but is even more elegant and richly dry.

noor_jehan
noor_jehan

elgab89 thanks for your comments. i have not smelled it yet, but i am a hermes fan and i have alwys wondered how this fragrance smells. it must be beutiful, and after ylour comment i will add it on my wish and 'to smell' list. :)

elgab89
elgab89

Last perfume bought by my uncle for my Nana ( aunt). The last fragrance she ever wore. It reminds me of this classy, elegant woman and I will always have a bottle in my cabinet.

Caleche by Hermes 3.91 out of 5 based on 728 ratings and 141 user reviews

Hermes Caleche - Soie de parfum
Hermes Caleche - Soie de parfum
HERMES Caleche 0.5 oz Pure Perfume Bottle
HERMES Caleche 0.5 oz Pure Perfume Bottle

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Hermes Caleche fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Hermes Caleche, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Caleche by Hermes. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Caleche by Hermes represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.