Designers » F-H » Leather « Groups

Eau D`Hermes Hermes for women and men
dislike

leather
smoky
Eau D`Hermes Hermes for women and men Pictures Eau D`Hermes Hermes for women and men Pictures Eau D`Hermes Hermes for women and men Pictures

Eau d’Hermès: conceived by Edmond Roudnitska in 1951 around a spicy, floral hesperidian theme, it takes its inspiration from the evocation of a wonderfully delicate odour. “The interior of a Hermès bag in which wafted the aroma of a perfume… A note of fine leather, wrapped in a slightly spicy citrus,” according to the composer.

Cinnamon Lavender Bergamot Clover Cardamom

Eau Fraiche

Eau D`Hermes Fragrance Reviews

cumulnimbus
cumulnimbus

Eau d'Hermes had been in my want list for a long time, I've had a mini of the vintage copper cap version for ages. It has been a long term obsession of mine and have rejected to buy it in the contemporary version several times. Finally, I could recently find a full bottle of the vintage version and I am so happy I finally add it to my collection that I had to write a review as an homage to the master.

This is indeed a strange animal but such a beautiful one. It is a time capsule too, and is like nothing you know. Eau d'Hermes isn't what you usually expect an eau to be, it develops from a spicy citrus (I would swear there is some coriander and clove apart from the cardamom and cinnamon) which blends to a floral stage with lavender and geranium to end in an amazing slightly sweet, soft and animalic close to skin leather scent made from the mixture of cummin and birch notes in combination with cedar, tonka, vanilla and I would say some moss too. This glorious drydown is like the smell of your warm skin kept under a high quality leather jacket.

I don't find it dirty, I find it altogether elegant, sensual and discreet. Perfect leisure eau de cologne that maybe not for everybody but just some leather lover men and women, young and not so young.

As an eau de cologne its sillage and longevity are moderate.

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

Hallelujah!

Yet another masterpiece from the late great nose Roudnitska. What a relief after some of the sickly sweet or limpid horrors I've tested recently

I love Diorella, Cristalle and Femme so it's no surprise I love Eau d'Hermes. Mind you I was trepiditious due to the descriptions of skank and so forth. But I bought the reformulated version which as far as I know has far less civet but retains its animalic qualities with jasmine and cumin.

On first test I was unsure, but later on I wore this on an evening out and it's those times when you're distracted that you get to know the 'personality' of a perfume better. All evening I enjoyed whiffs of Eau d'Hermes when I moved around, like little puffs of citrus spicy steam!

It reminds me of a side-dish a friend of mine makes, with carrots sauteed in cinammon, cumin and lemon. There is a touch of leather, but subtle, and yes, maybe a little touch of eau de knickers but it doesn't come across as obvious. The cardamom is very clear at first spray but calms on skin

I was with a friend who's not over fond of the more 'dirty' smelling perfumes, who immediately liked this. So I'd say its animalic qualities, in reformulation anyway, remain well within realms of tolerable for most

Overall I found it warm, refreshing and lightly tantalising, it reminds me of how I smell after cooking with lemon and whole spices, but a lot less effort! There's also a tiny and subtle touch of sweetness from vanilla

I enjoy it layered with Feminite du Bois too, but that's subjective.

Sillage moderate, longevity around 5 hours (perfumes evaporate on me quite soon though)

persefoni
persefoni

When i read that Hermes Eau is no longer made with real civet, i ran and bought it!! This is one of the very few perfumes that i honestly find sexy!

The perfumer's description of it being citric totally hits the nail on the head! This gorgeously dirty smell is one third citric - probably the cardamon being more to blame than the bergamot.

The leather note is soft - so those who find Cabochard repulsive like me, or who are not really drawn to Bottega Venetta, Cuir Amethyst or Jolie Madame, even those who cannot stand Daim Blonde, have nothing to fear with this one - as long as they don't mind experimenting with skanky odours!!

I love both the copper cap version and the clear cap with the lovely cumin! It's one of my favourite spring-summer scents!

calyx93
calyx93

If you can, seek out an example of this with the dark copper colored cap - not the new, transparent one. This earlier version has less cumin (if any at all) and is much more animalic with a strong civet presence. I can only imagine that this is the one that's the closest to the original formula.

It sits proudly beside some of my favorite "dirty" scents like Kouros, MKK, Yatagan, Jicky, La Nuit, etc. Perhaps the most perfect marriage of a high quality EDC with just the correct amount of animal/human element.

Smells like a clean, nude body on a hot summer day - very erotic if you want it to be. Very grounding too.

fuggerone
fuggerone

old school scent a great leather for summer hot days got a bottle of vintage and this juice is really unique...

paridoks
paridoks

Eau d'Hermes is a rather rare treat, as it's now been reformulated and stripped of it's organic essential oils, and real civet. (Civet is a small cat now on the endangered list.)
Until this decant I'd never smelled real civet. It's rare. Rare, rare. And Eau d'Hermes is beautiful, and unique because of it. On first application the top notes are Bergamot, Clover and Cardamom. For the first five to ten minutes the Bergamot (a cross between Pear, Lemon, and Grapefruit) is most prominent, with a round organic profile softened by the clover. You can tell the Bergamot is an essential organic oil because of its subtlety, and fullness to the note. Naturals differ from synthetics in that synthetics have a thin, abrasive profile to them. Eau d'Hermes does not.
The top notes form a clear, buoyant and transparency to the heart of Vanilla, Jasmine petals, and Geranium. And these start to show themselves about fifteen minutes after initial application. There's an overall sophistication, class, and softness that belies my nose at this point. It's so well blended I have trouble differentiating between all of the notes. It took me a week to understand this. A week I spent with my nose on my wrist trying to pick them all out, and I'm not even sure I got them all.
After thirty minutes from first application is when Eau d'Hermes really starts to bloom and transform from a clean, clear citrus and soft petally floral into a dirty, skanky animalic whore. It's absolutely remarkable how it does this, and the reason why is the Civet and (now also endangered and extremely extremely expensive) Mysore Sandalwood. At this point just a trace of the citrus is left, lending a lemony tang to the animalic Civet. The product is a fresh, salty, skanky sweat, and clean skin scent that becomes addicting. It's like smelling two bodies fresh out of the shower who worked up a sweat making love, in every conceivable position.
This is an amazing, masterpiece of perfumery.
My only complaint is it's half-life of around two hours. It's ephemeral at best, and to enjoy it, constant reapplication is necessary. But what can you expect with a citrus dominant, organic oil based fragrance? That's about the best one could hope for. And nothing matches Eau d'Hermes in it's respective genre.

tonkabeanster
tonkabeanster

An union of two Roudnitska masterpieces: the crisp herbal citrus of Eau Sauvage melded with the warm, cumin-dusted skin of Rochas Femme.

If Eau D'Hermes was a person, it would be the beautiful androgynous stranger with sculpted cheeks and flint-dark eyes.

Grottola
Grottola

You're either going to love Eau d'Hermes or hate it, and in my case, I like it a lot. Not sure if I love it, but I definitely enjoy it.

Basically it's an animalic citrus with a subtle sweet chypre-like note, and yes, birch. The animalic note in this one is a funky mothball kind of smell, which smells slightly fecal, but it hardly bothers me. It's a unique and funky twist on the Eau de Cologne genre, and it lasts a really long time for a citrus scent, too. Then again, I shouldn't be surprised - it was composed by the great Edmond Roudnitska!

vanwnb
vanwnb

I really wanted to like this, but it reminded me too much of a bottle of old school cologne spilled in a leather handbag. Maybe it was the bottle that I tried it from, but it's just too big for me.

-- Just kidding. I love it now.

Sixten
Sixten

This is a curious little scent. I ordered a 1 ml sample, tested it on two occasions and got rather mixed results. First time it opened up wonderfully, like walking along a flower lined sandy path during an autumn in Southern France. Normally I'm not a guy for heavy florals and, to my relief, I found that with Eau d'Hermes the floral notes weren't as overbearing as with many other scents.

On the second try, however, the very same things that I found enjoyful started to seem quite grating. The aura of earthiness or sandiness, however you want to call it, that the cardamom and leather notes exude, was just too plain and repetitive. The composition seemingly lacks harmony with regards to the top notes. The notes themselves are fine, but, for instance, I can barely smell any lavender - the mid notes are just too powerful. What first struck as an original approach to the classic fragrance pyramid with regards to the withdrawn head notes, seemed just careless design on the second try.

I would advise prospective buyers to analyse the notes carefully before purchase; the cardamom and leather pack a hefty punch. If you're not already into that kind of olfactory world, this scent won't make you a fan.

Pinja
Pinja

What an absolutely gorgeous fragrance this is. This feels like wearing a piece of art. Dirt and skank are to some extent a cultural thing. For me (scandinavian) this is just rich, deep and "humanlike." I do smell and understand the dirtyness but when I wear Eau d'Hermès I really just think it smells beautiful: quality citrus and skanky leather.

As for citrusy scents, I don't know many that come close to this one. They often lack character, but I can think of two other that have a similarly strong presence: Eau de Rochas and Pamplelune.

full_of_colours
full_of_colours

This is quite the experience so far...it went from skanky with loads of cumin to smoky with nice, rich animalic and leathery undertones. It also happens to be fresh because of the bergamote.

A must try if you are into that sort of fumes.

I am sure it would smell super sexy on a man's skin but I also like it on myself. Truly unisex.

This is pure luxury. It smells like nothing else.

Ahh, I love Roudnitska! I love Hermes!

jasonchickerson
jasonchickerson

According to Hermes, this original cologne is available everywhere, but I've only ever seen it inside Hermes boutiques, even in Paris. That said, it is worth searching out, especially if you like being the only person around wearing your scent. I wear mine to bed.

Eau d'Hermes has been described as sexy, skanky, dirty, reminiscent of body odor, even a sweaty man's crotch— and it is all of these things, cumin and cardamom and civet, especially on paper or clothing. But Ed'H, like many older fragrances, needs to be smelled on skin.

Sprayed on skin and allowed to settle for a few minutes, it's a warm, deep, mildly powdery holiday pastry, bready not sweet, eaten over a cookstove after a morning of chopping wood. A single drop of Ambre Narguile under your navel fresh back from a winter morning's jog.

On my skin in particular, Ed'H becomes cinnamon and butter and warm skin, like eating snickerdoodles in bed after sex. A warm spiced wine poured over the body of your lover, bergamot and cloves and first-flush armpit.

And perhaps it is just the image of Roudnitska modeling this after the smell of a worn Hermes bag, but I detect some leather and lipstick in there, too. Powerful stuff.

Henriette
Henriette

This was the only scent I could stand when I was pregnant. My nose refused all the smells and of course I could not use any perfume. But this was a therapy for my senses. A very elegant scent the philosophy of which has not continued in the recent green cologne creations of Hermés, a masterpiece from the past where hesperides, spices and woods are mixed in a way only Monsieur Roudnitska could do. As modern today as it was when it came out, trés trés chic both on a lady and on a gentleman. The only cologne I would dare on an elegant soirée.

prot72
prot72

It takes me a lot of time, at least five visits in Amsterdam’s, Barcelona’s and Madrid’s Hermes boutiques to decide whether this one is for me or not. I love kumin in fragrances but I’m always afraid that after application people around me would think that I didn’t get a shower for many days. The kumin must be perfectly balanced with other ingredients to show its real spicy face with slight dirtiness not like Indian kitchen or smell of dirty sweat. Here we have this kind of perfection. Kumin is present and last for long time in the beginning, heart and the base of fragrance. But this kumin first is fresh perfectly surrounded by citruses, than is sweet and spicy because is dancing with tonka beans, jasmine and vanilla and finally is sooooo woody, balanced by sandal, cedar and birch of course. After checking and checking whether this is my kind of smell every time I was more and more surprised how amazing is this creation. This is unbelievable how it evolves. When the temperature outside is high you feel dry and fresh nuances. When is chilly the fragrance creates warm sweetish blanket that cover you. I think that in a perfume schools creators would be able to write master or even PhD thesis about this composition. This is never ending story. From one application to another you are opening a new chapter in the perfect perfume book. This is what I feel wearing this perfume. Today I know that the nose behind Eau d’Hermes is the master of masters – Roudnitska. I understand how mystery of fragrances can make you feel special.

jtd
jtd

I wore eau d’Hermes today. Eau d’Hermes is my favorite eau de cologne. I think I wear edc for different reasons than most men. If I want simple, fresh and bracing (what I think most people want or expect from a cologne) I’ll rub on a little tea tree or lavender oil out of the shower. I turn to my colognes for a timeframe and a progression that grabs your attention when you pour it on, excites you as it fills the air around you for a few moments, then quickly quiets down to Something Else. Mugler’s cologne’s something else is that odd nose equivalent of a tuning fork crossed with a dog whistle. CdG’s Anbar’s something else is that hint of amber that would take you 12 hours to reach in an amber-oriental but you find 15 minutes after applying Anbar.

Eau d’Hermes’s something else is funk. I enjoy the decadence of stepping clean from the shower and inducing that wonderful skin scent that might otherwise take some sweat and a good few hours of ripening. I love the fact that skin smells. EdH just gets me there faster.

(note: I only know the copper cap version.)

Matt Oldham
Matt Oldham

I've been through bottles and bottles of this. I love it and I never found it hard to take because of cumin or anything else. I always found it incredibly soft and smiling and pink, with no hard edges, rather like Marilyn Monroe. I am surprised that something so easy to wear has the reputation it does; I am also trying to get my mind around the Turin/Sanchez caveat on this, ie too middle-aged male. This one has been overanalyzed to death I think.

I'm usually into edgy, challenging, very challenging, almost stinky animalic leathery fragrances but I can't stand Eau D'Hermes. Please, don't blame me. I've been trying this fragrance countless times but there's something that really disturbs me in Eau D'Hermes. I don't know if it's the cumin or the incredibly noticeable retrò feel, but as a matter of fact my olfactory nerves transmit to my brain the wrong impulses and the feeling I have is of an aged citrus cologne that smells like bad breath.

Now I'm ready for flogging!

Note: It's me, it's surely me. Eau D'Hermes deserves its status as a classic, but I still don't like it.

Rating: 4/10 (personal)
9/10 (objective)

chip
chip

You have to own this if you regard yourself as a perfumista. That's also because you need a trained nose to enjoy this.

janudy
janudy

I had a huge question mark over my head when I first wore this. If you've ever been to an Indian restaurant, you know that when you leave your hair and clothes all end up smelling spicy and food-like. I felt like a walking piece of chicken tikka masala! Cumin is definitely present and is laced through all stages of the perfume's development. My DH is Indian and he thought I made him a nice Indian dinner! I haven't had the nerve to wear this again, but I'm going to break it out in the cooler weather and hope that I get all these other lovely notes that are listed.

Rita @leftcoastnose
Rita @leftcoastnose

Launched originally in 1951 by famed nose Edmond Roudnitska as a “unisex” scent. (Read: Safe for straight men.)

EdH does two extraordinary things and it does them extraordinarily well. Clove, cardamom, cinnamon, coriander, geranium leaf, they are all there. Cumin, coming through loud and clear.

What settles in when wearing EdH on the skin is the most sublime and subtle spicy aura rising up like heat waves above sun-baked asphalt.

THAT is very good. Now comes the second part. I smell just beneath the peppery cloud the cleanest and private parts imaginable. As in fired up, ready to go: leather, salt, ammonia, musk.

I love this stuff, and I find it VERY useful. EdH smells like potential to me: potential power, potential space. Of dilation. Of hungry beast. When I first smelled EdH, it had the same effect on me as drinking a glass of red wine: I felt my cheeks flush, and I felt the lines between myself and the world blur.

I don’t think this stuff is safe for ANYONE. But I don’t mind. I have another name for “Eau d’ Hermès”: (En français, s'il vous plait-->) “Danger Sans Peur.”

johnponder
johnponder

Just purchased a 15 ml bottle from Ebay to test before buying larger quantity. Intriguing and complex scent. Definitely animalic. I love it; found myself smelling my hands throughout the day. I also find my nose appreciating different aspects of its complexity as the day proceeded. BUT: Weak! Fades. I have several perfume-loving friends of whom I ask their opinion. All had trouble smelling it. Will probably purchase larger bottle, perhaps use layered.

Stefan
Stefan

YES it DOES smell like sex! and thank you!

Auguszta
Auguszta

One of the classiest, smoothest Eaus ever. One that keeps its kinky thigh-high, spike-heeled leather boots in the closet and nobody knows.
The sweetish citruses mingle with cumin and cardamom, the light scent of geranium, the woods, mainly cedar, and just a hint of leather. The lavender is present at all stages, but it's very subtle, very discreet. The vanilla even more so, as I was surprised to see there's supposed to be some in there in the first place. As for the infamous slight sweaty note, oh yes, it's definitely there. But it's more like a sweet suggestion, a naughty idea that suddenly pops into your head for no apparent reason.
The blend is perfection. It's the definition of understated, casual elegance with an edge that only a few will notice. It's dicreet. It won't scream for attention, but it will whisper the right words into the right ear. For all its suggestivity I find it to be very cosy and relaxing. For an Eau it has pretty decent presence and staying-power. Do try it before someone somewhere decides that people don't care for scents like this anymore and it gets discontinued!

Permannda
Permannda

I recently bought a bottle of Eau d'Hermes (EdH) after reading as much about it as I could online, but having never smelled it. EdH was described as 'animalic' 'citrus', and 'spicy.' Several reviews described it as the smell of sweaty sex. Despite having read as much as possible about it, including everything Jean Claude Ellena had ever said, I was unprepared for EdH's dynamism and most mesmerizing qualities. The first thing I thought after smelling it was that it was the weirdest fragrance I had ever smelled: laced through-and-through with cumin, dandied up with dried flowers, and sparkling with hints of citrus, it was quite a surprise. The top notes of clover, cardamom, lavender, and cinnamon quickly subside to a delightfully warm skin scent predominated by cumin, but wearable in all seasons; A true Roudnitska masterpiece. I look forward to wearing it frequently. One cautionary note, though: Cumin is not listed on this site under the fragrance notes, and it is most definitely very present.

Eau D`Hermes by Hermes 3.97 out of 5 based on 135 ratings and 25 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Hermes Eau D`Hermes fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Hermes Eau D`Hermes, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Eau D`Hermes by Hermes. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Eau D`Hermes by Hermes represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.