Designers » F-H » Aromatic « Groups

Eau de Gentiane Blanche Hermes for women and men

Eau de Gentiane Blanche Hermes for women and men
dislike

smoky
Eau de Gentiane Blanche Hermes for women and men Pictures Eau de Gentiane Blanche Hermes for women and men Pictures

With the Colognes collection, Hermès expands a territory of olfactive expression inaugurated in 1979 with its first Cologne, later baptised Eau d’orange verte, characterised by its refinement and authenticity. Figurative and generous expressions of instant pleasure, the Hermès Colognes offer a series of material-based olfactive vignettes. Through the gaze of Jean-Claude Ellena, Hermès affirms its own interpretation of the Cologne style, between artistic sensitivity and traditional craftsmanship.

Eau de gentiane blanche: devised by Jean-Claude Ellena as an irreverent take on the traditional Cologne style, the Eau de gentiane blanche revisits freshness with a mixture of boldness and delicacy. Complex and sophisticated, gentian proffers its multiple facets–sometimes bitter, sometimes smooth–in an elegant vapour of white musks that source their sweetness far from sugary elements, thus offering the gentian component an unexpected olfactive counterpart. Eau de Gentiane Blanche was launched in 2009.

Musk iris Incense Gentiana

06 Amanu

Eau de Gentiane Blanche Fragrance Reviews

narcisse_noir
narcisse_noir

Very understated and under rated. Musky, green, earthy and hypnotic. Imagine the ambiance of lheure bleue minus the sense of claustrophobia. Feels like I am wrapped in hermes cashmere, strolling through the Bois de Boulogne on a cold day, comforted, protected. Not a fragrance that will ever be an airport best seller, but more for those who prefer something a bit darker and poetic. Classiest thing you can buy for £50 that's for sure.

Lana148
Lana148

At first sniff this fragrance gave me visually color grey - foggy, late autumn air, dying grass. Then the fragrance clears up and more deep green notes come to play - wet forest, moss, dirt, grass.

Overall, very real, calm, earthy fragrance. Although, beautifully crafted and I appreciated very much, I find it to be depressing.

Allen-at-home
Allen-at-home

It is simply dry, mossy grass. Nothing to get excited about.

archivist
archivist

Smells like freshly sliced green bell peppers.

tkomaigo77
tkomaigo77

I like this fragrance because it reminds me of high school when I used to smoke camels drink Moxie and chew on Korean Red Ginseng chewing gum. It's possible only people from the northeastern US will understand that. Moxie is a kind of soda that was produced in 1886 and it tastes about that old too. The secret to its bitter medicinal "acquired taste" is Gentian root extract.
Most people connect Hermes with elegance but this fragrance brings me back to melancholy teenaged autumn days in Massachusetts. I may have to pick up a bottle when the seasons change.

Vegas Pauli
Vegas Pauli

I was generally interested in this one, considering I am an Hermes fan. I think all of their fragrances for both men and woman are unique and beautiful. There is something natural about how an Hermes fragrance smells on a person.
Anyway, this one is hard to find so I stopped by a Hermes boutique to try it on one night as they were closing...and...well I was kinda speechless.
I can't say I hate it or love it but I was intrigued and confused by this one. Its not fresh, not citrus, not flowery at all. Earthy is the word with maybe some oregano. Like oregano and wet cardboard. While that sounds bad, its not and truly unlike anything I have ever smelled before. At first I was kinda turned off, maybe like I was expecting something different. I first though, "this is something I do not want to smell like".
Still I kept smelling it on my arm and kept getting something different.
The next morning I could still clearly smell it on me. I am not sure what a person who would happened to walk by me would think of this. I does not smell like a cologne but like an aura.
In short, the verdict is still out on this one. Definitely something for a cologne connoisseur to try on, just for the experience.

Michelina
Michelina

This smells like a cozy cave; moldy and manly, wet and weird. It attracts and repels me simultaneously, but seems to have more pull than push so I keep coming back in for another sniff. Intriguing, to say the least. There is a freshness to it that compliments those brisk and misty spring mornings, and a dark side that reeks of autumnal decay – in a good way. I couldn’t imagine wearing this outside of those two seasons. In a nutshell: creepy and interesting, much like the dank cobweb-infested cellarway of my grandparent’s old house; we used to run down the stairs as kids to see who could stay down there in the dark the longest before freaking out…and it smells eerily similar.

Jillmcshaw1
Jillmcshaw1

Smells just like the medicinal gentian used to treat yeast/thrush. I would say this is bitter and green, like roots pulled straight out of the earth, a little fresh ground pepperiness. Unfortunately I know the taste and smell of gentian and just can't get past it without gagging a little. It wears close to the skin, like others in the series and has a fairly short life span, it is a cologne though and this is what one expects. I guess if you or your baby is being treated for thrush and anyone asks "What is that smell?" just hold your nose in the air and tell them "It's Hermes".

banorgue
banorgue

Gentian is a beautiful flower in the high mountains. In nature it has a very rare, albino version too, the white Gentian. Folk belief says that the place where one find a white Gentian there is a treasure under it. I have found this treasure in this unique, fresh, bitter-green cologne. In reality the white (blanche) name refers more to white musk what softens the bitterness of Gentian roots. I think this fragrance will be never a top seller as most like sweet perfumes like "Le Male" or "1 Million". (...like less prefer the pure, bitter taste of dark chocolate or green tea.)
Longevity: I do not find problem with it as many write here. On on my skin it stays for about 6 hours, on cloth for two days(!) and I can detect it even after several days. So I apply 3 sprays. One on wrist, one on neck and one on my cloth. It stays with me all day long and even next day I can smell it.
Projection: Not many will notice or compliment it. This cologne is private. It gives a good feeling an atmosphere to you. Take care, you can be addicted to this scent! :)

It is a Masterpiece!!!

benpaul12
benpaul12

There are two things going on for me here. One; the damp mossy floral and smokey mix reminds me of being in Bali after a heavy afternoon shower or by a waterfall in a rainforest here in New Zealand. This is very refreshing, calming and unique.

The second; my father had his own business along with a warehouse full of the synthetic fabrics that were for re-use in the medical industry. This cologne reminds me of the fabrics, a strange metallic, musky odour. Not an unpleasant smell, something I always quite liked.

Close to the skin the floral is obvious, the sillage however smells quite sharp, more like my second description.

After a while I find it smells like a building site, where a lot of treated pine is used. I think this puts me off it a bit. Overall I find it a bit strange and synthetic and wondering if such a smell was actually the perfume.

I like it, but I am not over the moon about it. I would probably only wear this on very specific days. Say if it was foggy, misty or rainy.

milkyway
milkyway

i love it- feel wet moss and iris root surrounded by bitter floral note (never smelled gentiane, but must be it)..very unisex- a perfect sultry scent with attitude for me..

stefafra
stefafra

Smells exactly like Gentiana officinalis roots, that my dad used to collect to put in liquors. The same green, woody earthyness, a bit like liquorice roots but without any sweetness.
If you have ever tasted "Enzian" bitter well, the aroma is very similar...
(I keep trying it in duty frees and similar places, but it is a bit too expensive at the moment for me, pity.)

Update: as it seems to be going out of production I decided to buy one bottle of it...lovely, stays close to the skin and reminds me of my dad and of his stash of dried herbs for liqueurs. A conforting, nostalgic smell

I hope it is not actually being discontinued, it would be sad...

AZJeff
AZJeff

I ordered a sample vial of this cologne a few days ago. It has a interesting scent.This cologne smells so different than any other I tried. It smells sort of like plants or weeds that have a bitter aroma or taste bitter. The aroma also reminds me of a degreaser cleaner I have. I also think it faintly has a aroma of Grey Flannel cologne. I'll have to think about this one more before I buy a larger size sample of this in an atomizer or regular size bottle.

Zephyrae13
Zephyrae13

this is damp, humid, verdant. sweetly musky. slightly aromatic too. I love it! I can't quite pin it down... but it's something everyone should sniff at least once.

dravp
dravp

Just got a bottle.. and I found an abundance of peppery notes to it, with a floral base. Something like.. refined form of Grey Flannel. And I love it.. !Any opinions..?

firsttime
firsttime

Open with sharp iris and breezy musk, then its gone in an hour and comes with gentiana that's little sweety (maybe its comes with the reflect of musk). I love to wear this in the rainy day.

redfive
redfive

This is a unique scent. If you want to fit in and be like everyone else, slap on some Aqua di gio, not this.
I agree, this is about as close to the scent of a greenhouse as you can get. The rich musty (but not in a bad way) smell of moist soil, plants imbibing moisture and expressing their essential oils, and the faint aroma of a myriad of florals.
This one is Edgar Allen Poe in a black suit, sitting in a garden at dusk. It is not overtly goth or melancholic, but certainly not bright and cheery. It simply...is.
The person who wears this (male or female) would be one unafraid to stand apart, a free thinker, a poet or philosopher.
My only displeasure with this is it's strength and projection. Otherwise, dare I say it's a masterpiece?

Buysblind
Buysblind

A green, leafy fragrance reminiscent of a spring garden in the morning. On the quiet side, it smells very natural--the florals well balanced with the fresh green quality. It becomes quite dry over time. I get little musk or incense in this. If you've ever smelled Diptyque's floral or green offerings, this shares some similarity in its texture, however it's altogether drier, quieter, and a bit flatter. The Hermes Jardin series is also similar, but in my opinion, more interesting and with a bit more punch. You may want to look there first. I'm very neutral toward this.

Ritarudna
Ritarudna

Wow. This stuff smells like the gasoline version of Tom Ford Neroli Portofino. Its got a very upscale, expensive smell to it. I get gasoline and flower buds. Its very different and pleasant if you're open minded. I'd only wear this at night and in the summer. Its a bit too sharp for cold weather. I'd only consider buying it for memento and novelty's sake

Carestinus
Carestinus

Despite all their differences, I immediately thought of Dzongkha when this arrived to my skin. I thought: this has the same metallic floweriness, the rather exotic and merciless iris in your face but there is a huge river separating both costs though...

Before I could see what it was, I also thought: well... this also reminds me a bit of the sharp musk shown in Voyage and a bit of other Ellena's works... I could see that connection somehow... but then again...

I came back to Dzongkha and wondered why I got caught by that one but could hardly stand this one. I don't mean this is badly done... Jean Claude's mastery is always there, but according to my taste, here that note gets truly sickening whereas it is the main part of a whole blend in l'Artisan's. I must confess Dzongkha also gets tiresome after some wearings but is superbly done. More complex, a full story demanding your attention. Here the concept seems to be cleanliness or subtlety but I get sick in my stomach. In Bertrand's work there are so many other things going on that are harder to take at the first encounter but take you on a fascinating trip. It is exotic, ferocious, untamed and unique. Here I get a neverending sharp bitter iris plus what seems to be that gentiane girl making things even worse.

That's it... I am very sorry but this scent is not something I'd wear or be happy to smell around. There are too many jewels in this brand, check them all first!

almondbreakfast
almondbreakfast

Hermes - Eau de Gentiane Blanche

This is Hermes at its finest!
If Terre and Voyage are too mainstream for you, and you'd like to find something unique, I'd recommend EdGB. It could have been placed among those expensive Hermessence fragrances, "Hermessence Gentiane Blanche" IMO.

It's strictly for gentlemen. Only a woman with appropriate style can pull this off (wearing suits, "Man, I feel Like a Woman", vintage YSL, Chanel black and white, chic Parisian style with a cigarette) plus the attitude. The personality could be icey cold, but confident and endearing.

The scent itself is a mixture of herbal, incensy, musky, floral notes; very light. It is appropriate for work, to fancy dinner; but not for a date. It says confidence, victory, but at times it can feel a little complicated and depressing, but there's something soothing, comforting, that makes you want to linger in that state of depression and bittersweet feeling. He is rich, but he is sad. Yet he's adored by many and nobody knows his secret/mystery. He's just a lonely person who has all the finest things in life, but happiness; disguised by those black shades and his sleek suit.

Scent - 4.0
Uniqueness - 4.2
Longevity - 2.7
Versatility - 3.0
Silage - 2.6

EAU DE GENTIANE BLANCHE
"He is the poison, he is the potion."

-Mr. Almond-

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

From the ad copy: "...the Eau de gentiane blanche revisits freshness with a mixture of boldness and delicacy." No, it doesn't. There's no boldness at this address. This is a floral that's way too fey and faint for me. I do not understand how anyone can claim this is masculine.

And I don't understand the "blanche" in the title. Doesn't that refer to white flowers? Gentiana are blue. Or is it the musk?

And, confusingly, reviewers here assert that this is a green fragrance - or redolent of brown earth. Will the real color please stand up?

I don't understand this; I don't like it.

I picked up a bottle of Hermès EAU DE GENTIANE BLANCHE scent unsniffed for a couple of reasons. First, I love the other Hermès colognes. Second, I really enjoyed my bottle of Guerlain Aqua Allegoria GENTIANA, which is basically drained.

To my surprise, EAU DE GENTIANE BLANCHE smells NOTHING like GENTIANA! I was expecting a light and innocent floralized cologne, but this composition is more like roots and soil to me. In fact, I'd say that this creation is a lot closer to TERRE D'HERMES than it is to any other gentiane perfume I've sniffed. Okay, I've only sniffed one other besides the Guerlain (to my knowledge), but together those two created in my mind the concept of gentiane as a blue flower.

No blue flowers here whatsoever! This is a completely neutral unisex cologne, and some may even find it masculine. It lacks some of the stereotypical aromatic qualities of masculine colognes, smelling more to me like fresh potting soil than a fragrance of any type. Unlike some reviewers, I do not consider this scent to be green. I've worn it several times, and to me, it always seems more like brownish gray.

I do find something appealing and somehow calming about EAU DE GENTIANE BLANCHE, but I rarely reach for it and will not replenish the bottle, should this one ever be drained--which seems unlikely to happen...

Yurpdod
Yurpdod

In general I find Hermes scents to be boring and irrelevant to my tastes, but I was drawn to this one because of the name and the handsome slate gray bottle.

Gentiane Blanche is gorgeous and original. I feel like this could be a more tranquil, masculine interpretation of Alien by Mugler. It's a woodsy floral, with a lovely wet and clear quality. It's like watching a piece of beautiful, gnarled driftwood descend through a waterfall. Very, very modern and zen.

It's not something I would purchase because it's very expensive and has the predictably soft and short wearability of an eau de cologne. But I do think that it's an enthralling scent and it's definitely worth experiencing.

shanghaifleur
shanghaifleur

Im absolutly taken by my first encounter with Eau de Gentiane Blanche. Its an intriguing but also inspiring fragrance. It opens citrucy and watery, but quickly turns into this very earthy, green, almost compost-like smell. Its like wet soil after rain.

The whole composition feels mellow, like a Norah Jones song on a rainy New York afternoon....

IMO, I see more Eau de Gentiane on a man, I wouldnt see myself wearing this or any woman for that matter. This scent has a deep sexy masculine vibe to it, not vulgar or in your face kind of sexy, but more like a polished english gentleman aristocratic way....I'm charmed!

hunterblu
hunterblu

Simply divine!

Gentian Blanche smells like Burial and Portishead sound like. I imagine this would be Violet Harmon's (from season 1 of American Horror Story) signature scent. Reminds me of early morning walks, after night rain, in early spring or late autumn thru the mist filled meadows of the Sierra Nevada's where I grew up...or bus rides to work at 5:30am in the midst of heavy fog thru the outer/inner Sunset and Richmond neighborhoods of San Francisco in my early twenties.

It is a beautifully melancholy scent. It's simplicity is very deceptive...four listed notes combined to create an extremely sophisticated and complex fragrance.

I find it very interesting that almost all the reviews are positive to very positive yet everyone has a very distinct preference for seasonal wear. Close to equally split between winter, spring, summer and autumn. I think it is appropriate for any season, weather and event if your mood is right.

I also find it to be so unisex as to almost be asexual. This does not smell like mens or women's fragrance to me...and if it weren't so vegetal, green, moist and earthly as it is, I'd almost call it alien. A scent full of paradoxes. Somehow earthly yet otherworldly, ghostly yet alive with a vegetal and herbaceous greenness, sad, soft and smooth yet invigoratingly sharp.

I am completely fascinated and totally in love with this unique little treasure. I'm having one of those moments where I want to shout at the top of my lungs and announce to everybody I know how amazingly beautiful this is but at the same time I want to keep it as my little secret out of fear that it would somehow loose some of its magical power if I smelled it on multiple people on a regular basis (another Gentian Blanche induced dichotemy).

persefoni
persefoni

This is a bold, very clean, very green perfume, that by no means conforms to the rules of a classic cologne. It is strong, impressive, can easily become a signature. And, like most of its kind, plays in the "love it or hate it" league!

I truly cannot remember smelling anything similar to it ever before - it stands out! At first i was a bit shocked, then about 10 minutes later i realised i had just smelled a milestone in perfumery - mark my words...

Don't know why, but it gives me a biscuit-ish feel; above all, however, it has this vibe of cleanliness and freshness..

..some days later: i just realise that this scent has a lot in common with Hiris of the same house, which i also love!! AND that it reminds of clean, ironed linen in expensive hotels, somehow! Therefore i would say it's quite formal and definitely elegant ;) !

SoapyScentGuy
SoapyScentGuy

Smells like a damp spring morning. This is so different than other colognes that I have had before. I really like this cologne. It is light and you will probably not get noticed with it. It smells great up close and personal. I can see how it is unisex. I highly recommend it and feel it may be even btter in the Summer as I currently wearing it during a New England Winter.

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

A green aroma, fresh, clean.
Has a juncture of leaf, damp earth, through which rain beating on vegetation, is the feeling that brings me this perfume.
Linear, with the output reconciled the aromatic gentian and subtle musk and floral nuances, a touch of citrus dna line Hermes, incense leaves only one density.
While simple, has a mature and sophisticated air.

Axum
Axum

I love this cologne for its airy sublety. I don't know what gentian smells like, but to me this smells of earth, stems and roots after rain, and dark chocolate. There's something incredibly sexy about that. Who'd have known?

raw umber
raw umber

This fragrance is a downpour. This heavy rain pummels the cold rocks earth, and grass, and other plants on the side of a mountain during a cool night. It's the kind of rain you surrender to, allowing yourself to get soaked to the skin. When I first smell it I can hear the swelling noise of the rainfall begin.

I am extremely cautious when observing scents that contain elements of the fragrance of rain, but I put my trust in this one, and use it only once in a while, because it has that much integrity and power.

IMsooKool4Real
IMsooKool4Real

I grew up in an area that had chamomile growing on the side of a road near my house. I was always in love with the way the plants smelled on Spring nights after a rainfall. Subtle and fresh with a mild bit of cool bitterness and dark wet cold soil. As mentioned in other reviews this is a green scent - more about the dew on unopened flower buds than the scent of the flowers - a very wet green scent.
It starts as a soft waxy citrus for me - like the wet rind of lemon before peeling and held a few inches from the nose. Very waxy citrus - but very quickly fading. It is also softly cool. The magnificent thing about this fragrance is the dry down and how it manages to recreate the wet scent that I remember experiencing after running my hand across various rain drenched plants as the cool spring night air crept in. Not to mention the complimentary fragrance of wet soil in the background.
It lasts quite long and very close my skin and is fairly consistent after the the first few minutes of a subdued & waxy citrus. Stays skin scented and earthy green wet all the way through.

For those of you who think that the smell of dry soil getting the first drops of a long awaited rain is one of the most beautiful fragrances on the planet ... this should go up high on your try list.

pbluberry
pbluberry

This smells like ginseng. It's kind of peculiar but good at the same time. Reminds me of medicine herbally smell.

Galya
Galya

what a horrible smell... of white artificial almost metallic musc.

rafickw
rafickw

This is an amazing citrus,woody green musk, these are the cliff notes version of what my nose picked up. It reminds me wearing a tweed sweater, nice black slacks, double breasted blazer and a hat strolling through central park on Madison and fifth avenue, very elegant, minimal and aristocratic, surprised that all of that is in a "COLOGNE" that is not dated in the 1800's or early 20th century.

Getting it next week FOR SURE!

Tik

Dear fragrancesomm, it' s only question of personal taste. For me it' s 10/10, because i very like Ellenas' s minimalism. You have right for Your personal ranking.

rpopescu
rpopescu

During our lunch at Osteria Francescana (Modena) in October 2012 the drinks pairing included a fabulously aromatic and quite strong gentian root infusion, called "Genziana" and distilled by Giovanni Boroni from Borzago (Trentino, in the north of Italy), so I knew what to expect...
This is a coincidence surely, but in fact the more I think of it the more I find resemblances between Massimo Bottura's highly poetic approach to food and Jean-Claude Ellena's creations.

This is a fantastic and unique smell, very dry when worn on its own. It is freshly torn green leafy stalks, a vegetal bitterness evocative of a misty morning walk on the gentle mountain side, biding one's time seeing, hearing and smelling everything around - for they are all so different and strangely indifferent to our presence there - just like this perfume.

I also love to blend it with Eau de Pamplemousse Rose or Concentré d'Orange Verte, which give a bit more warmth, sweetness and depth to the sternness of the gentian root.

This is a 10/10, there's no doubt about it. It is perfect on its own while being open to blending, and I couldn't ask for more.

empathyboy
empathyboy

Once, when I was very young, I met someone almost twice my age in a bar. Someone famous. Well, not famous by face or name but famous from their beautiful work. They were the kindest, most calm and gentle of all people I have perhaps ever met. Being young and foolish and full of Dutch courage, I naturally flirted. Imagine my surprise when I awoke next to them the very next morning. Being truly British, there had been no sex. As we said our goodbyes, I impulsively pulled them towards me in a bear-hug and buried my face in their neck. This is where Gentian Blanche takes me, forever in that moment - lips kissing the cleanest, most heavenly skin. Cool and warm at the same time. Gentian Blanche also reminds me of a cheap soap from my primary school and yet there is nothing cheap smelling about this fragrance. Do not expect fireworks and lust; those things are over all to soon. Here you will find a quiet passion that is clean and angelic on the surface yet carries an almost unspoken musky desire. A strange combination of peace and longing that takes me on a journey from the comforting soap of childhood to the intoxicating flesh of a beautiful adult.

Eau de Gentiane Blance sits very close to the skin. I wear it for myself. I wear it for the one that got away.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Eau de Gentiane reminds me of the Italian bitters used in summer drinks. It opens with a bright green freshness, very clean and smooth, and dries into a light floral woodiness that is, well, very bitter. This Les Colognes release is definitely a touch stronger than Eau D'Orange Verte, and also perhaps a bit more linear. In the far drydown it takes on an ashen character, smelling very "white" and "grey" and cool. Definitely unisex, and an interesting fragrance - I think it's the only one featuring Gentiana that I've ever encountered.

kentabatinga
kentabatinga

I am no expert on scents but I own four Hermes fragances. I am a male, and I do not care about what is labeled as men/women fragances. If they agree with me, then I am all for it. Everytime I reach for Hermes I layer them with Hermes Orange Vert. It works perfectly. Gentiane blanche lasts forever on my skin/clothes. HGB is a long lasting scent. Three days after I wear it I can still smell on my shirt down in the hamper. Talk about a long lasting scent. On my skin, I only get the iris or the gentiana (don't know the difference). It makes me feel I am walking on a field surrounded by iris/gentiana and that's the only thing I can see and smell. I don't get the earthy scent like others had mentioned. It's definetly different and a bit overpowering. I only spray 2/3 times when I reach for it.

nikkimouse
nikkimouse

So unique! I can't help to love this diamond in the rough.

Smells like fog, not smog or fog from the inner city, but fog from outside your cabin, in the deep woods.

So natural smelling, when I have my days when I don't want to smell perfumy but still want the added allure of a manmade scent ... i reach for this!

This is a love

Lasts a full 24 hours on me

Also I've found this is an excellent one for layering, if you're into that.

I've found layering with the perfumes that I dislike veyr much (the sweet fruity ones) I get something beautiful and very unique

an.jorePipip
an.jorePipip

Eau de Gentiane Blanche is one of most distinguished fragrance I've ever smelled. This fragrance is so bitter and green, almost like you put leaves in your hand and squeeze it until you get the liquid. I adore its individuality scent, but I think it is not for everyone. However, the longevity is superb for cologne!

brett1
brett1

I have an unsophisticated nose and I am new at this but to me this smells a lot like Grey Flannel without the strong violet. I like it a lot but I wish it would last longer. About two hours on me.

*sophi*
*sophi*

It is very green and fresh!!!I don't smell any frankiscense at all!
This is very spring and summery scent!Gentian flower is something that i haven't smelled in any other perfume...but the scent is very earthy and green fresh!Iris,is definetely obvious as a part of composition.
The scent is weak and i can't trace after a couple of hours on skin.If there was an oak moss addition on this scent it could be stronger with a chypre floral element!Good fragrance from dear Ellena :)

Arbre Amer
Arbre Amer

Does anyone know how one can add notes to the ones offered for evaluation on Fragrantica? For me this perfume has very pronounced notes of carrot seed and raw coffee been, angelica, litsea, curry leaf and possibly carraway and pepper, all of them much more pronounced than orris. I would like to put them out for evaluation to see what others think. I know many would disagree as this has the tendency to register different to anyone. I've had people swear they detect notes that range from detergent to chinese soup. Anyway, it is most certainly an amazing opus, deceptively simple. One way of describing it would be "iridescent soil".
I would love it even more if it had less musk in it but still easily the best mainstream out there as is

ducktuck
ducktuck

Les Colognes Hermes Eau de Gentiane Blanche shocked me, after reading the listed notes I was expecting something quite different. Either way it smells wonderfully earthy, and reminds me very much of the smell received when you tare apart an iris stalk or fan, more so than the flower itself. I am not familiar with gentiana and maybe that is the strong grass like note that I am smelling. Very natural, slightly sweet, crisp, but dark green.
Moderate sillage, and good lasting power.

jasonchickerson
jasonchickerson

Gentiane Blache is a truly interesting fragrance. It is a cologne, fresh and refreshing, with no citrus. It is clean laundry, mown grass and clover, and the scent of the spray a bell pepper gives when you split it open. It is summer and clean and layers of green.

I really want to love GB, and at first I do. But after thirty minutes on my skin I just don't want to smell it any more. Like eating too much candy as a kid, I feel I'll be sick if I smell it again any time soon.

I gave my sample to my wife who wears it occasionally. And every time she does, I fall in love again for thirty minutes, then ask her to wash it off.

libraye
libraye

I am just totally blew away by this masterpiece and it is worthy to buy.

The combination of iris,incense and gentiana is unique,magical but harmonious.It makes me feel relieved that I NEVER expected and the longevity is also amazing for a colongne(Apparently it will last longer if you spray it on your clothes than spray it on your skin).
Actually, the root and flowers of gentiana(It is called “龙胆”in China) are very essential and vital chinese medicine but I never consider it as an ingredient of a perfume.Maybe that's the reason why it is so attractive and complex.

A little opaue problem about it is that afer I sprayed it on my clothes for 3 hours I smelled something like a mixure of mint and chewing gum and it became much sweeter than before.But overall it is a best choice for all the seasons to wear.I highly recommend it.极力推荐!

natefifield
natefifield

I would classify this as an esoteric perfume. It's inspiration, the Gentiana flower, is not one I am familiar with, and I doubt most others would recognize it either. My only association with this scent would be vague recollections of wild flowers, grasses and herbs.

Described enigmatically as an "irreverant take on the Cologne style," I imagine it would probably only reveal it's deepest secrets to someone well versed in the history of perfumery, which I am certainly not.

But nevertheless, this perfume has given me a great deal of pleasure. I find myself continually drawn to it, fascinated by it's dark green beauty. It's not a "sensual" perfume. Rather, it seems to stimulate me intellectually, with a verdant clarity.

I don't think most others would enjoy it on me. It doesn't have that sudden burst of light and glory that the perfumes of the Jardin series have. But it does provide the subtle and uniquely personal satisfaction of sharing a small piece of the Jean Claude Elenna's genius.

ian85
ian85

Personnellement je l’aime beaucoup, elle est délicate et distinguée. Son apparente discrétion cache une ténacité étonnante, et on se surprend à sentir cette eau longtemps après la pulvérisation. Il faut aimer l’amertume et la simplicité. Je la classerais volontiers parmi les eaux "propres", sans en avoir les inconvénients ( elle a du caractère !). Pour celui qui veut se ressourcer, loin des trucs tapageurs et branchés, revenir aux sources d’un monde un peu minéral, semé ici et là de plantes dont le vent et le soleil de montagne libèrent les arômes...
9 /10

al.to
al.to

polished sophisticated elegant..Ellena is one of my favorite artist
where I live the picking of gentiana is prohibit but I remember this excepional smell from my trip
anyway..
It smells like rounded gentiana fresh and bitter: a mountain flower sour
this frag to me talk about the Alps and long trip around these
It seems wearable although Ellena used unusual raw materials
I love this way to build parfumes
niche choice,niche parfum

9.5/10

maybe a far cousin of dzongkha..

fanny
fanny

This one definitely deserves testing!
Not like any other already known freshness in the perfume industry (in my experience, that is.. :)
Gentiane Blanche is a bit of a niche scent but absolutely well wearable.
I love it, both for its originality and its happy-go-lucky vibe.
Well done, 8/10!!

kisherceg
kisherceg

It's a strange scent without any citrus and if you want a special , interesting perfume choose this one.
I can say Gentiane is a surreal composition as the color of the bottle suggests (first time I sprayed it I immediately thought of Dali's paintings and the movie The Crow with legendary Brandon Lee...they are beautyful but make me sad...)

Eau de Gentiane is very earthy (still clean) which part is common with Un Jardin Sur le Nil but it's not been smoothed with fruits and vegetables or light flowers.
Perhaps only iris (I have never smelt real encian ) there is here which lightens a bit this unusual scent.
I can't smell any sweetness in it...but it's mystical and enigmatic.
Almost transcendental...
I always detect something undefined "swamp or seaweed-like" in the background of Gentiane.
You have to know this scent is not a "happy-feel-good" fragrance.
It's not for any occasion...
But I love it,that's sure :)

Ohh and I think Gentiane so masculine (on my skin) that I wouldn't take it to unisex category.
But I know everyone's skin is different...

Aromaticus
Aromaticus

Esto no es un perfume.
Es un fatal experimento fallido.
Un ambientador para farmacias.
J.C. Ellena nos esta tomando el pelo.

wprofumo
wprofumo

To answer teedee - the gentians are a family of wild, flowering plants. I only know the yellow gentian (a very tall plant) which grows all over the European Alps and Jura mountains, and which is used in herbal medecine; and the tiny, blue gentian which is such a delight to find in little clusters when you are walking in the Alps in summer. I have never, knowingly, come across a white gentian. The yellow and the blue do not have perfumed flowers, so it is perhaps the root that is used in perfumery. I would verymuch like to try this scent from Hermes.

K1
K1

I'm not a fan of simple monotonic perfumed but I turn when it plays on barely simply played notes. I'm not good in flowers but this gentiana is just hilarious.
So pity, the longevity is silly, and I guarantee if it was in parfum or eau de parfum it could break the records of selling. Yet even for the cologne it worths.
One day I'll buy it without doubt, without testing it again.
I think it cleans the world! It's cleanest and purest powdery perfume I've ever smelt.

Eau de Gentiane Blanche requires a lot of getting used to. It's not what you might expect. In fact I'd go so far to say that it's one of Jean-Claude Ellena's most unique compositions.

I initially wanted to test this fragrance because the blend of iris and incense intrigued me. Well, there are hardly any floral notes in this fragrance, let alone iris. Apparently the gentian flower gives off a strong odour of wet earth, and I must say that Eau de Gentiane Blanche does smell very earthy and vegetal.

The smokiness created by the incense note is really fascinating alongside the strange, wet earth smell. When I first applied this fragrance to my skin, I was left wondering why on earth I thought that wearing this would be a good idea. It smelt like celery and homemade vegetable soup, not particularly what I wished to smell like.

I stuck with it, determined not to scrub it off, and eventually I began to respect it. The strong earthiness dimished slightly and the scent became a touch powdery, with a distinguishable calamine lotion scent. At this point I was enjoying wearing something so alien and odd.

Supposedly Eau de Gentiane Blanche is a cologne, yet this fragrance is lasting so well on my skin, almost like that of an EDP. The sillage is rather good too. I sprayed it lightly on my wrist and then read one of my favourite books. I kept getting this beautiful waft everytime I turned a page.

All in all, Eau de Gentiane Blanche is perhaps more masculine than feminine, however wearing it myself didn't make me feel like questioning my gender. It's a strange scent that will either repulse or captivate its wearers and the people around you. I'm glad that I gave this fragrance a chance.

Lilyth
Lilyth

My favorite fall fragrance.
Also it reminds me 2009 xmas i spent in Deutschland.
Fits to wear in a journey, IMO.
Very special, but i like compositions made by Jean Paul Ellena. They are like little stories written by different scents about main one.

guest_Snoopy
guest_Snoopy

I really like the fragrance however it only lasts for thirty minutes on my skin.doesn't last long enough to buy.

abirae
abirae

I wanted to like this one, as I love almost everything Jean Claude Ellena has done, but it just doesn't work on my skin. The drydown is a salty musk with an oily quality like unwashed hair that skank lovers may enjoy, but I wasn't a fan.

teedee
teedee

testing this scent was full of pleasant surprises.

First of all, good for me, I dont know what does the name of the perfume means. I dont have any idea what is 'gentiane'.

It starts abit strange on me: mix of earthy something. The scent was so familiar, yet I couldnt recall the name. And so it went by and reveals more aromatic side of itself...Soft sweet earthy cologne with hint of woods. that accord in the beginning comes and goes very faintly. i smelled hint of wet moss and it all rounded with soft musk

I totally enjoy this scent. Only when I reached home i remember... Gentiane blance has somewhat slightly similar top notes with Hiris!

One thing...this is a cologne, so it doesnt last very long. May be it is a good thing...as I can re-apply and enjoy the whole experience as many times without worrying of overdose :D

hm...not so good for my wallet thou...as with most Hermes fragrances, they are lovely and price is...ahem... not the most economical fragrance around.

cocomademoisellerie
cocomademoisellerie

It works perfectly on my skin and I am a woman...;) But it is definitely a scent for summer. With the sun on your skin, it develops into a bitter-herbaceous scent of a medow in the Alps.

El Mexicano
El Mexicano

This is definitely a masculine scent; despite the unisex designation. It is an earthly scent with musky green undertones.
Sophisticated in it's simplicity, this scent will call to those who are confident in their skin.

mypersonalharmonics
mypersonalharmonics

Am I the only one here who cannot understand the beauty of this perfume?

To me it smells like cooked vegetables...Like you've been cooking and your clothes smell like...

...artichokes actually!

e9rul7
e9rul7

i looove it!! it smells wonderful! i think this one is deffinitely male parfume. i would never wear it, but i would love my fiancee to smell Eau de Gentiane Blanche !

kellybanana
kellybanana

love the clean musk. frankly this is probably my fave winter scent i will always use.

iMaverick
iMaverick

This scent makes me feel so good. There is a slight reminiscence to the original Orange-Verte, but this scent created by Jean-Claude Ellena is another exercise on understatement.

Citrus and green in the beginning, that warms slightly to cedar and incense like notes. I haven't smelled the Gentiane flower before, but really there isn't anything floral about this scent.

Longevity is about 4 hours on me as a very subtle scent, but most of its strength is gone after the first hour.

I love this scent a lot. It gives off an air of sophistication and understated luxury. An expensive eau de cologne at $125USD, but I would think it a wiser buy if it was an Eau de Toilette at the same price.

guest_all the junk
guest_all the junk

Very nice, bitter and fresh and elegant and so on... but also very musky like good quality white musks like ethylene brassylate, ambretolide or something else
More interesting and novel than the pamplemousse rose in my opinion. See rose ikebana or terre from the same brand with very similar grapefruit notes

memechose
memechose

I love this. My skin is hospitable to many of JCE's minimalism masterpieces.

A PARADOX-gentiane blanche begins and ends with a sweet slightly powdery note. Its a transparant, layered iris, no gentian (which is very astringent in its pure form.)the sweetness and creaminess of orris lingers, with earthy nuances playing peek aboo.

Which critic claims there is no such thing as individual chemistry?

flannelman
flannelman

Interesting! Green and earthy right from the start, no citrus. A bit aggressive at first, but then the flower notes start to develop and the fragrance becomes much lighter and more transparent. The earthy note disappears fairly quickly, too. The musk is kept very light and all in all, this makes for a very elegant heart. I also seem to get an aniseed note, which I find very enjoyable. Well-made, original and, I think, worth trying...

Eau de Gentiane Blanche by Hermes 3.92 out of 5 based on 327 ratings and 71 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Hermes Eau de Gentiane Blanche fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Hermes Eau de Gentiane Blanche, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Eau de Gentiane Blanche by Hermes. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Eau de Gentiane Blanche by Hermes represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.