Designers » F-H » Oriental Woody « Groups

Eau des Merveilles Hermes for women

Eau des Merveilles Hermes for women Videos
Eau des Merveilles Hermes for women Pictures Eau des Merveilles Hermes for women Pictures Eau des Merveilles Hermes for women Pictures Eau des Merveilles Hermes for women Pictures Eau des Merveilles Hermes for women Pictures Eau des Merveilles Hermes for women Pictures Eau des Merveilles Hermes for women Pictures Eau des Merveilles Hermes for women Pictures

Eau des Merveilles: from surprise to magic and from magic to enchantment, Eau des Merveilles wraps us around its finger on a cloud of fancy. Imagined with an amber woody chord that rings up to the top notes, this fragrance, created by Ralph Schwieger and Nathalie Feisthauer, wins the bet to portray a sparkling femininity without a noticeable floral scent. Paradoxical, contrasted, intimate and delicate, a skin-deep infusion of happiness to savor. Eau des Merveilles was launched in 2004. Eau des Merveilles was created by Ralf Schwieger and Nathalie Feisthauer.

Orange Lemon Elemi resin

Orange Flower and Amber

Eau des Merveilles Fragrance Reviews

energia
energia

Since I'm buying too many perfumes lately, I have decided to buy a perfume after I deserve it. Challenge at the moment is to pass an exam I have, and if I succeed, I'm buying this beauty, because it is sooo great on my skin...it is a bit masculine at the beginning, but it settles to a nice ambery, salty, a-cold-day-at-the-beach scent... I'm working hard to deserve it :)
It does miracles to my mood :)

KiraAR
KiraAR

Eau des Merveilles is the scent that got me interested in fragrance. I was at Nordstrom, waiting for a friend to finish her purchases, when I spied the lovely off-center bottle. I spritzed myself, and it was love. I've since learned that I'm a sucker for pink pepper notes, so it's no surprise that I fell for this one. It's spicy and dark, but with wood and citrus to warm it up. I also get the salty note mentioned in several other reviews, although salt isn't listed in the notes. To me, it's an instant spray of confidence and sexiness. Still my absolute favorite for fall and winter.

green_green_eyes
green_green_eyes

It used to be my signature for couple of years. It's different and draws people's attention- men love it, and I had people stopping me in a shopping mall or in my office asking me what I wear (and my ego-balloon was gro-oo-oowing...).

Composition itself oozes with herbs and orange peel, and then is this mysterious "salty" note. One of the scents that smells equally good in winter and during summer hot and humid days. I loved to spray it on my scarf on gloomy November days, the scent reminded me of winter holidays in mountain lodge: sitting in front of fireplace, breathing in the smell of burning wood and fresh logs stacked in a basket.
And in summer months it's pure refreshment in a bottle, applied at the back of your neck it gives your hair delicious "I spend whole day on the beach" scent. If that makes any sense ;)

It surrounds you with delicate cloud of scent, and stays on for 9h+.

lipglossandabackpack
lipglossandabackpack

I wasn't very interested in this scent at first, but I wanted to use up my sample. So I doused myself in it today. I applied three times as much as I do with most scents, and as I had before. And suddenly, I was feeling the Eau de Merveilles love. If you've found this scent unimpressive, try applying it with a heavy hand. The sillage isn't so strong that it will annoy those around you, but it will allow some of the woody and aromatic notes to come out from behind the citrus fruits' shadow. I would describe the scent as both clean and warm; good for fans of fresh scents but also for those who like things a little darker. I feel like this perfume could get a lot of wear, from the office to a hiking trail to a cocktail party. Instead of writing this one off as boring, apply a little more!

goldiloks
goldiloks

Autumn has arrived! I'm trying this one out again, after wearing it a few times this summer, and it giving me a throbbing headache. This frag intrigues me, I like it, but it's not something I would normally go for, and it's exactly that which keeps me interested. I like it, I don't get it, I don't know why, but there we go! I think the skin- like intimacy might be one aspect I find irresistible. Let's see how it performs now the temp has dropped. So far I am loving it way better than in the hot sun. I find it a very calming scent. Like a river at sunset, reflection glistening, all oranges, dusky pinks and blues.

lovepie
lovepie

I used to wear this when I was younger, and suddenly last week I felt the urge to smell it again, the new version has been changed for sure. I didn't find what I was looking for. Still a very pretty and intriguing fragrance, just less mysterious and lost a bit of its soul for me.

thiefofnoses
thiefofnoses

Eau des Merveilles opens up with a subdued orange, some woods and a little bit of salt (which I assume is the ambergris note many people talk about it) Maybe it's my imagination but I also get a fair bit of musk in the top notes. It's a perfectly acceptable fragrance that smells pleasant although I doubt if it will get you noticed. I wouldn't find this too masculine if I smelled it on a woman. If one wanted to pin me down, I would say 'worn by a lady of a certain age [30s/40s] working in an office who is probably quite nice but not too edgy', and I think that's a good way to describe this fragrance: nice but not too edgy.

It's a really lovely bottle but like most things, looks better in marketing photographs than in real life.

Dorothy Grace
Dorothy Grace

This week I tried Eau des Merveilles for the last time; I'm halfway through my second carded sample and won't be finishing the vial.

This has a real zing of fresh lemon in the opening. In the middle it is loaded with fresh black pepper, a very soapy musk, a strange velvety wood, and a luminous quality. I am surprised that I get such a strong feel of artificial ambergris (I am very fond of ambergris).

We are all more or less sensitive to some of the aroma chemicals used in perfumes and in this case I can smell, taste this fragrance everywhere after sampling; it is very strong, diffusive, pervasive, tenacious and having sprayed just a couple of times from a carded sample vial I find the scent hangs all day in the air of the room in which I applied it and I catch glimpses of it for weeks.

Eau des Merveilles makes me feel like I have been smoked in perfume as the smell pours from my hair, my fingernails; its in my nose, my mouth, my clothes; it follows me around and as such I couldn't wear it.

Very long lasting, enormous sillage, average projection.

Carded samples Eau de Toilette 2013

birdy

people around me dislike it very much . they say it smells like cheap men fragrance; cheap masculine sharp strong ... i just want to wear it! only a cousine have it and wear it!

celticelle
celticelle

I adore this. So light and airy and perfect for every day wear. To me it's almost a gourmand. I think it smells like kettle korn! Caramel and salt are the two scents that seem to form from the orange and amber accords. I'm not sure what's creating the fresh salt scent, but it's brilliant. Is that the pepper?

As it wears, it becomes less fruity and more powdery, airier. This one is more long lasting that Un Jardin Sur le Nil, another of my favorites. I think Jean-Claude Ellena has been one of our great perfumers.

boutonstendres
boutonstendres

Citrusy, peppery, woody. Like a mix of Light Blue and a more buoyant Black Crystal. I've never smelled an Hermes that wasn't elegant and understated. Eau des Merveilles is no exception.

Ultimately I'd rec this as a more streamlined, less offensive and more tropical* alternative to Black Orchid. I think the sweet, carefree citrus accord has an enchanting, almost bubbly tone. Eau des Merveilles switches back and forth from peppery sophistication and warm, fruity tropicalia. Becomes more and more leathery and amber-sandy on the dry down.

*Tropical doesn't always mean coconut! ;)

aleksandar.dragas6
aleksandar.dragas6

to my nose, the Merveilles line is masculine, I could easily see men wearing it.. or at least they could be unisex.

wendyangeln
wendyangeln

Water of wonder? Miracle water? Hermès didn't lie - Eau Des Merveilles is spectacular.

I didn't expect to be saying this. The forum folks are always raving about this and recommending it for everything, and I'm always clicking through to the page, skimming the notes and thinking... "It looks good, but not for me." I'm not big on amber, nor am I the hugest fan of citrus, but I can love fragrances with them in... separately. Both at the same time? Not likely.

Until Eau Des Merveilles. I was standing in the store having an EXPERIENCE. EdM is really quite a sparkler!

What I expected:
A syrupy, marmalade orange, somewhat heavy concoction, with woods that smell of timber or a fresh Christmas tree. I expected it to be a bit discordant to my nose, as I just couldn't understand how fir and orange could work together for good.

What I got:
A chimaera of a fragrance.
The citrus is more lemon-y than orange-y for me, and I find it very energizing and sparkly.
The woods smell like... well, woods! Green and mossy and earthy and ALIVE! It's the same earthy woodiness I love in Aromatics Elixir, and I find it so calming and grounding.
And here's the zinger: I get ginger...? Are we sure there's no ginger in here? Not a sharp ginger, more like a sweet, crystallized ginger scent? I don't know - perhaps the fir + pepper combo is getting mistranslated, but thank God for that, that's the magic for me! In the drydown I got a lot of powder (which I LOVED and was pleasantly surprised by) and ginger.

See why I'm calling it a chimaera? I think this fragrance was crafted around the idea of dualism - even the name: Eau (water, everywhere ordinary commonplace water) des Merveilles (marvels, miracles, wonders, which are rare things)?
Perhaps it is designed to be an everyday miracle: not so different that it is too much for every day wear, and not so everyday that it is not special.

I found EdM to be simultaneously soothing and envigorating, just as happy-shiny-sparkly as it is grounded-adult-zen. I love it. I came in expecting "meh" and left the store with 50mls of "oh my God wow". It's perfect for wearing to stay in all day, reading, but wearing something really luxe like a silk kaftan or a cashmere sweater. Dualism.

P.S. The packaging is to die for. Both the box and the bottle are just... mmmmmh. Are all Hermès fragrances packaged so luxuriously? I see trouble on the horizon for me...

andabri
andabri

This probably won't be a popular review, but in all honesty, to me, this smells like a women's bathroom on the beach. It's powdery, and has a bit of an old floral scent. Then there's saltiness and a bit of wood mixed with some citrus-y chemical scent. I like to sniff without knowing every specific note so I remain unbiased, and the first time I sniffed this the literal picture that popped into my mind was standing under the makeshift beach showers that are right outside the beach bathrooms. And every subsequent testing conjures the same image. Sorry if this made anyone queasy, but I believe in being honest! Believe me I wanted to like this, if just for vanity's sake of the beautiful bottle design.

For me, Elixir had a kind of "laundry musk" quality that I didn't like, but my first regular wearing of this one was pleasant. I like how there is a kind of obscured woodiness that has some sort of salty quality. Otherwise, it's a little this, a little that, mostly blended together (just a little sweetness). That hardness (supplying some texture), though, keeps it from being some sort of "blah" thing. I can see how some would wear this often, but to me it would likely get boring in a hurry. Still, I think I'd like to wear this one a couple times of year.

SmellieKat
SmellieKat

Eau Des Merveilles EdT is very different that its sister elixir, which has more chocolate and is quite cloying on my skin. EdM is salty and beachy, but not in a suntan lotion sort of way. More of a sophisticated evening wedding on the beach kind of way. EdM has substantial sillage and also a hefty dose of the French influence that defines Hermes.

I have to be in the right mood to wear this perfume because it's both powerful and unique. Eau Des Merveilles is best in the summer because it develops well in the heat and carries the perfect 'elegant sweat' vibe that makes summer nights magical. A recommended addition to any perfume collection.

Lana148
Lana148

Another great fragrance from Hermes. To me: it's modern, serious, a bit cold.

I always associated this fragrance with a business suit. It fits a serious job environment, all business no fun type of setting. It's elegant but shy, not a loud fragrance.

This could be easily marketed as unisex.

birdy

i just buy it and love it so much!
i change perfumes every time and i hope never find it boring!!!!!
i was always looking for a fragrance that reminds sea and iode, i tried l'eau d'issey EDT more fruity than marine perhaps EDP is more sea and watery!
i think eau des merveilles is reproducing the smell of the sea and the sun on the wild way!

beatrix75

I love more than anyothers frag from my colection . exeptionaly magnificient smell 10/10

Yudum

It has not been mentioned in the notes but there is a lot of powder in the drydown it makes it soft and spicy like lemon and peppery and feminine

Noble fragrance. I use word 'noble' very rarely as it comes to perfumes' description, because I think this word includes many advantages, like: ladylike, gentle, exceptional, stylish and comfortable.
Almost no flowers are there, but still, this scent is very feminine. Warm like a skin, somehow nude, and very tempting. Incredible.

Update: I've tested it again and I love it! Wonderful scent! It reminds me of a warm skin. Totally sexy.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Citrus, vanilla, violet, sandal wood, a lavender accord, some metallic aldehydes feel, nice fruity notes (a hint of freshly-cut pimiento) and quite a recognisable load of Iso E Super plus hedione. Which smell great – I'm a big fan. A bit later you get more clearly the amber-vetiver base. I don't get the balsamic aroma which should be there, actually the more minutes pass the more I get only the aromachems and the other notes vanish – what you get then for hours is a salty, pleasant, synthetic "good feeling", like a cozy, clean, opalescent airport lounge where *someone* with a good scent and just a hint of sweat has just left leaving you there alone (hedione and Iso E - if you know Odeur 53, that's it, and I quite like that kind of subtle, weird salty/woody/milky accord). Unisex, slightly floral, slightly salty-skin, pleasant and with a hell of persistence. More "eau" than "merveille", but still nice - more "avantgarde" than it may look like.

leathermountain
leathermountain

Powder! I kid you not. I've worn it several times and felt the usual salty skin, vetiver deal with a lot of grapefruit. It opened up that way today, but then settled into a sweet floral heart of powder. I hopped on over here to amp up my violet rating. What on earth?! I think I love it, now that I see its second face.

beatrix75

o wooww this is jeam !!! strong citron att first wich i like then allmost all the way long woody and peppery dark and mysterious to the very late end and the dry dawn its the soft elegant violet on my skin . this fume its perfection in a butlle. very easy can by my signature frag love for ever!!!

Yudum

fresh and a bit spicy a strange yet extremely wonderful smell. Im gonna eat my arm now.. :)

babypink_fairish
babypink_fairish

I get this from my mom. She went and blindly bought the perfume and gave it to me. I expected a lot from the brand and I think the perfume smells too "mature" for me. I'm more into fresh fruity scent and this one didn't match me. I'm keeping it for the sake of my mum and looking at the reviews here I might give it another try - see if I can appreciate it more. Or maybe I'll return it to mom.

mindphaser
mindphaser

orange citrus dominated at first, then after a while turns to an aromatic woody salty amber. Nice, but not fantastic.

CozyCat
CozyCat

This is unique and interesting, I definitely get the citrus (orange), elemi, fir, amber and vetiver...there's also a pepper note that adds some spark and 'fizz' to the scent. It's more smooth and velvety than sharp, yet it smells masculine or unisex to me, and I don't like it for that reason (atleast on myself). I wore it feeling like it's just lacking in something, perhaps it's because I'm more of a floral girl. I think this would smell fantastic on men though. However, I love the Elixir version which is richer, more rounded and cozy sweet...for me that one really evokes fall, the forest and quaint log cabins with little fire-places. As for the L'Ambre release, it was too ambery-sweet with not enough depth.

Amal Elyahyaoui
Amal Elyahyaoui

a perfect platter for a classy lady who is serving elegence everywhere she goes... i love it

kxnaiades

I was never tempted to try the Merveilles series. Until I had cravings for a warm salty skin scent as opposed to my cold Atlantic coast scent ( Driftwood by Arran Aromatics). I can attest that the notes magically conjure up sun-drenched salty happiness images, even when I had my doubts judging on notes alone. I was thinking, where are the marine notes? what's giving the salt accord in this? I don't know how or why, but the magic is there and I will always tie this scent to my peaceful, sunny, happy days in Bali and its sibling Merveilles Elixir to the evenings. Unfortunately, this doesn't last long on me, maybe 3 hours tops and I have to stick my nose to my skin to smell anything left. However I'm happy to constantly reapply throughout the day and relive the opening burst of citrus notes, warming down to a salty wood-amber base. I'll just have to get a much bigger bottle and lots of back-ups in that case.

IndigoEye
IndigoEye

This is not what I was expecting! I have to admit to being (naively) influenced by the advertising and packaging, and was expecting more of a sparkling scent. Eau des Merveilles does not sparkle. But it is a very interesting fragrance...
I get little orange, and no other citrus, but a mellow salty, inky, ambery wood, and I have been pleased to smell it all day. Three spritzes this morning from the local pharmacy have lasted 12 hours, and the smell has remained relatively unaltered. The sillage is not enormous - enough to notice but you won't knock anyone out, which is probably how it should be.
I admire this perfume but I don't think I will buy it - it is too warm for my tastes. And there is something about the saltiness that seems sexy in a too literal way (at least for work). But recommended, as a holiday scent if you like things warm and unisex. Perhaps the stars bursting out of the bottle on the posters were more accurate than I first thought...

przeczeks
przeczeks

Oakmoss and vetiver are definitely there in their milder version. As a fan of Guerlain - Mitsouko, I can now tell that this one has become my number one. I love woody notes, yet it is difficult to find a balance. With this fragrance, I think I've finally found it! Is orange there, too? To me, it's only at the first spray, and becomes way too subtle after half an hour, which is good as it means it's being mixed with the right amount of woody notes, and no longer remains the top. The elemi resin must be playing the role of softening woody tones I suppose. As per fir, I cannot tell because I am yet to be familiar with it. Both peppers are there, too, and very distinguishable. All in all, this fragrance is a perfect combination of all notes in it. And very long-lasting on me.

Edit: On my skin, it looks like it will work better in hot summer days. It's spring now, and between 15-20 degrees celcius, it disappears in about 3-4 hours (at max). I need to stick my nose to my arm to be able to smell that merveilles! Luckily, warmer days are coming :)

Wow! This certainly shares a similarity with Elixir but is also quite different. Wonderful juicy opening but not quite as warm as Elixir and woodier which I have to say I think I prefer.
Cedar and fir is apparent also something slightly floral in eau too and with a hint of peppery spice, its fresh and long lasting...I can't fault it.
I gushed about Elixir but to be honest after wearing it, I'd prefer it on a woman, this however needs another try to be sure but I'm absolutely enjoyed the experience yet again!

WendyMH
WendyMH

Super clean, refreshing, sparkly. Just love this on days when I don't want anything heavy. Clear crisp silver stars shooting through the sky over a mountaintop forest on a cool but bright day. Though I don't see it listed, I always detect a fleeting note of anise in the first 30 minutes. Orange, vetiver, fir - I detect them all, but none take over, just dance together. Nothing cloying here - including the amber which I often find too syrupy. Effervescent presence. Can't imagine ever tiring of this.

Truly beautiful and unique. Love.

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

Wonderful Water can translate well.
I do not consider oriental, but it is nearly so, opens with orange in great evidence, this phase passes in seconds and enter the really spicy and ambery dry heart, feel a delicate floral tone together.
Background by woody cedar and fir also a comfortable velvety tone. The feeling of all that gets in my nose is a tinge of salt spray on clothes after going to the beach.
Magnificently unisex in my nose and on my skin.

RUDOLFO512
RUDOLFO512

Eau Des Merveilles by Hermes is a beautiful and sophisticated fragrance. After many positive reviews on this site I ordered a bottle for me. I sprayed it on and it made my senses feel wonderful. The orange comes out at first and dried down into a sweet, woody scent. The next morning I still smelled it on my clothes. I am glad I ordered it and I am male. I think this fragrance should really be unisex. It will on top of my list from now on.

anitaoolong
anitaoolong

Nearly a year ago I joined this site and shortly after that I ordered a decant of Eau des Merveilles. I could see that it had won a lot of admirers. I have tried through all seasons to give it a chance to work its magic on me, but no.

I enjoy the smell from the sprayer, possibly because it retains the sweetness from the orange. Once on my skin there's really just peppery amber. I suspect that amber in high concentrations, coupled with something woody and sharp such as fir is not a good match with my skin chemistry. My patient husband wears this better than me. On him the fragrance develops more sweetness and is a softer blend of orange and woods.

I don't like to post negative reviews, but it's not necessarily a criticism of the fragrance as such, just please test before you buy.

Velvet_Touch
Velvet_Touch

This is my mum's signature perfume. I bought it for her last year from Strawberrynet. It was a great promotion that time. It has amber notes, cedar and lemon accords. It is perfect for evening!

WhiteFlowerGirl
WhiteFlowerGirl

Orange and Amber. Sunshine and Happiness in a bottle.

A great year round scent, good sillage and longevity.

The body lotion is also great.

lepetitprince
lepetitprince

This scent is intoxicatingly addictive to me. It's intense and enthralling. It's my go-to scent when I need to feel exceptionally stunning. Every spray envelops me in a cloud of anticipation, as if something exciting and mysterious is going to happen.

Not your usual feminine scent. It's womanly, albeit in a reckless manner. The dry down is enchanting and lingers for a long time. My 50ml bottle is running out. I usually get bored with perfumes really fast and often change perfumes. However, I'm actually considering getting a new 3.3 fl. oz bottle because I love this a lot.

Background:
I prefer woody, spicy scents with a tinge of masculinity. I dislike sweet, overtly young and fruity scents.

Physical aspects:
The bottle is pretty but I'm not too happy with it because the blue (on the limited edition bottle) has started to peel off. On a side note, I've been using it for quite a few years and it's been carried around in my handbag. So perhaps if you treat it gently, the bottle will stay perfect.

pravda48
pravda48

The opening is strong lemon and elemi (pine-like resin) on me, tooo much citrus BUT! that only lasts 10 mins or so. From there the signature Hermes 'sparkly' amber vibe is there, still w/ elemi and lots of sweet slightly nose tickly pink and black peppers. I would call it bright, effervescent, and peppery/woodsy.

I was iffy on it until the drydown now I really like it. Also I had my bf sniff it thinking he'd scrunch his nose at it; instead his eyes lit and and he said "mmm... I -like- that!" which is a rare thing for him. Score!

EDIT TO ADD: I may get fragrantican-scorn for this but it reminds me somehow of a deeper, more elegant, smoother version of the original Curve for men. Which I LOVED in my late teens but it's too sharp for my nose now. This... THIS is beautifully done. Really enjoying. Not sure I need 3 'des Merveille's but I'm tempted ;)

amyewest
amyewest

I already have Eau Claire des Merveilles which I love. However, there's always a few minutes where I'm a little put off by the Eau Claire because of the hint of licorice in the beginning. So I thought I'd try the Eau. It's very nice, but it feels a little incomplete. Even though I don't like licorice, it adds an apparently key element to Eau Claire. Eau feels like it's missing something in contrast. Go figure.

Eau des Merveilles is lovely. It's warm and resinous with a light citrus touch. It started off strongish, but faded very quickly on me. Had I not already smelled another scent in this series, I'd be crushing on it big time. Eau would be a fine choice in an office and good in the winter. I may still end up with a bottle at some point.

Update: it's been a couple of months and now that it's a little warmer, the spicy basenotes are more apparent and just wonderful. Now I prefer the Eau to the Elixir! (But still dig the Elixir of course)

Further update: I think it's the vetiver that I find most compelling, especially in combination with the oak moss and amber. I've found myself wearing this one more than just about any other for the last few months.

norlyh
norlyh

Eau de Merveilles is quite a unique fragrance. The burst of orange on application might lead you to expect floral notes to accompany the citrus but what follows is a wonderful woodiness and beach-like airy amber which radiates warmth. This makes Eau de Marveilles perfect for wearing in cooler weather and as a reminder of summer. I think the warmth of the blended amber and wood notes is the most appealing aspect of this fragrance. Once the orange settles, the accords of the fragrance stay consistent throughout the wearing. Longevity is about 8 hours for me and sillage is strong, I only apply half a spray for the day!

bluegreenplanet
bluegreenplanet

To my born and bred Asian nose, this smells like nothing but heavy incense in temples around festival seasons when the temples are packed and the heady scent of incense burning saturates the air. Definitely evocative and interesting, but not something I want to smell like! Just goes to show how subjective scents really are, considering the glowing reviews this perfume gets here.

chittylafemme
chittylafemme

To me, there is nothing on earth that smells better.

rowanwood
rowanwood

On me this smells like a urinal cake. Horrible. I literally had to throw the decant away. It actually made me feel ill.

hannahmom
hannahmom

I was expecting great thing from this scent; citrus and sparkle and deep dark woods. On my skin however, there was an underlying air of decay. The orange was there, but it was withered, and the woods were damp with mold around the edges.
I get the grade school lunchroom with orange peel and pencil shavings.

I guess my body chemistry just doesn't work with this one. Oh well, can't win them all.

This is a nice fall/winter citrus fragrance. I definitely get a lot of elemi and pine. Sweet in a resinous/woody way. Sometimes I find the orange really prominent, other times I mostly smell ambergris.
I really like woody scents so this is definitely a step above most citruses I've encountered. I don't see why Terre d'Hermes gets more love as Eau des Merveilles is definitely the more interesting fragrance and totally unisex. In fact, I'm surprised it isn't marketed as such.

aisyah syahirah
aisyah syahirah

i got this sample . its quite good and gorgeous but it just stay on my skin about 3-4 hours .

smellME
smellME

I'm not too sure about this, just got my bottle finally and it might be of an to early review..but here we go.
I have had this probably blown up idea of what this Hermes perfume would be like. Cause I am not up in the sky among the stars like I thought I would have been wearing it.
The fresh start has a very lovely orange and natural and tickles like a little sparkling water on your nose.
Then it settles to an earthy quite unisex lovely but rather onedimensional type of woody earthy freshness. It is not an office scent to me and unfortunately doesn ' t have the carisma to ever be my signature , but it is certainly classy and to me a sporty kind of scent rather to be worn in the outdoors or gym rather than to a busines meeting or romantic occasion. I have put this on fav shelf to see if the upcoming days will let it stay there. But though fresh classy lovely it lacks that little extra glow and it makes me sad after all my high hope expectations and lovely reviews...

AnnetteInFrance
AnnetteInFrance

I love this. To me it smells mature, sophisticated and earthy. But my husband really dislikes it and says it smells mouldy. Such a shame because i'd love to buy it.

freddinos
freddinos

Back in 2004 when this beauty was released, its intensive advertising campaigns in my country made me want to own it so badly! After a while, I got the chance to sample it in a store and was utterly dissapointed, and instantly erased it from my mind and my -then very small- perfume wish list. Fast forward almost ten years, and my interest in perfumes has grown, I consider it a proper hobby even! Whereas I was a 2-3 perfume in a year kind of person now I love trying -and I'll admit buying- as many beautiful fragrances I can. Eau des Merveilles arrived to me via a swap. Yes, it is a simple orange fresh and slightly woody cologne, but done with precision almost to perfection. Not foody, not too sweet, not too masculine, all its ingredients have been weighted to a perfect balance. I wish I got more of the coniferous accord on my skin, especially with the Holiday Season approaching... Eau des Merveilles, I am so glad my desire for you is restored! Better late than never...

drakecito
drakecito

Too light and boring for my taste.
Light citrus (orange) and nothing more.
Last about 2 hours and sillage is very low.
In the line of Voyage and company... Maybe for 15$

Sillage: 1/10

First I didn't like this fragrance, because thanks to the orange zest note it smelled on me like an old wardrobe.

But then I noticed it on other person and was impressed. The sillage of it was very catchy and gorgeous. And I started to like its interesting sillage with the most noticeable fir, elemi resin, pepper and orange zest notes.

It's warm and alluring. And the sillage of it is very noticeable. And the fragrance is really very long-lasting.

Only it still doesn't open on me like I would love to unfortunately. Maybe because I also had read reviews on Russian perfume forum of it about comparing with the toilet fir refresher. It was a mistake to read it.

I like this fragrance. Usually the fragrances by Hermes really have a good quality.

littlepepperz
littlepepperz

First of all - the ad for Eau des Merveilles is the most beautiful ad I have ever seen. I'm sold, instantly. I want to be there.
Secondly - these bottles are just to die for. When I look at it I feel like a child again - excited about the sparkles, transported somewhere else.

And finally - this scent is pure magic to my nose, even though it did take some time to grow on me, it now proudly sits on my favourites shelf amongst mostly green creations. It's so unique. It's warm and spicy but also quite vibrant green and salty. Salty is the key word here. Fir and oranges, it's like Christmas you've always dreamed of having.

If you watch the ad carefully it seems like we don't know what time of the year or day it is - this is exactly what this fume is like, perfect for any ocassion, time of the day, temperature (well, maybe not 30C+). Lasts forever of my clothes. I am actually looking forward to winter now because of Eau des Merveilles. Thank you, Hermes.

laantjebanaantje
laantjebanaantje

I'm weary of pine. It often smels like cleaning products to me. A fault of the cleaning products and a lack of pine trees in my country, not of the scent of pine trees itself. Same problem with oranges and citrus in general, though that has changed already with exploring more citrus-based perfumes.
Amber is often too sweet on me, as in the first hour of L'Ambre des Merveilles.
So you can understand how surprized I was when I sprayed Eau des Merveilles and was suddenly surrounded by pine trees on a cliff overlooking the grey wild ocean. The salt on my skin from a previous swim was drying in the warm rays of the sun.
Though this fragrance is very evocative, it isn't too present or destracting. In fact it is rather understated and elegant, despite its outdoorsy feel. Very versatile and wearable.
And it is not too sweet! It's quite difficult for me to find modern perfumes that aren't too sweet, as a hint of sweetness can be too much for me.
It's fresh, but also human and warm. Just lovely. The only fault this perfume has is the lack of longevity. I will try Elixir de Merveilles to see if that has better longevity, but I'm a little afraid of the caramel and chocolate many reviewers seem to get.

Germany
Germany

Woody and peppery with a blast of orange and amber. Refreshing but warm. Mysterious yet simplistic. Iits a great amber citrus and like its siblings , very desirable. I wrote a review on the elixer a while back which is partly true for this one as well.

soleia
soleia

This was not love at first sniff. I initially thought it too muted and not enough floral. Now, I enjoy its woody/salty/warm character (I do detect pepper, but it's not the main note for me).

The biggest plus of this perfume, aside from the amazing bottle, is its versatility. Daytime? Check. Office? Check. Dinner? Check. Weekend? Check. Date? Check. It has personality without being invasive, eminently wearable without being meh or generic. The only time I would not wear it is with temperatures over 30 C, as I prefer colder scents then.

I can easily see this becoming my go-to scent, as least for the cooler months. Just an amazing all-rounder. I only wish it was a bit more tenacious on me.

Update a month later: I thought with was too subdued on me. But it turns out it is a compliment getter: I wear perfume almost every day and I am never complimented on it. When wearing this, however, I get good comments all the time. Eau des Merveilles indeed!

lcommisso
lcommisso

I LOVE this fragrance. I was shocked that I didn't review it yet. It is different than anything else I own or have smelled. It is my luxury fragrance. My co-worker hounded me so much about this fragrance, I brought it in so she could try it. It is unisex, citrusy, and distinctive. Eventually, I will be brazen enough for the elixir, but this is just perfect for now. I'm hooked!

earthkeeper
earthkeeper

Although I'm a huge H fragrance fan, for some reason I had yet to sample the collection of Eau des Merveilles offerings. Today I've decided to slowly discover them by starting with the mother of them all in her edt form. As I wear this lovely scent and the day progresses, I find myself appreciating it evermore. Many of the fragrances I own are part of my collection because they evoke and paint the picture of a woman that I either already embody at the core, at times enjoying embodying, or awakens the desire within myself /to embody/. If I were to describe EdM she would be a confident woman both in her femininity and self worth, and although she has rich life experience she is devoid of bitterness. Quite the contrary her life experience has taught her to appreciate the beauty of the present moment - this regardless of what life may bring her way. Like a healthy mature tree, well grounded with strong and powerful roots, savoring the soft caresses of an autumn wind between her glowing multicolored leaves. I like this woman a lot, and I've decided to invite her to accompany me in celebrating life together. :)

On my skin Eau des Merveilles has average sillage with good longevity (as I type this I am 4 hours in and it is just perfect). To my nose the fragrance pyramid is spot on. If you enjoy woody fragrances I highly recommend trying this one out. Something that is quite interesting with regards to EdM is the fact that this extremely woody and spicy fragrance which is composed of but one flowery note manages to be beautifully feminine and delicate all the while. In my opinion EdM is a very useful addition to one's collection as I believe it wears well from early fall all the way into early spring during day time, and a lovely subtle yet present night time scent for the summer. A marvelous discovery indeed!

jhitt793
jhitt793

This is a very soft citrus/amber fragrance which I do not feel has much tenacity or sillage. It opens warmly with orange and lemon nuanced with a hint of terpenic elemi. The heart is where the beautiful amber note really shines in the mid dry down. Slightly powdery, invariably comforting like a secure warm hug. I also notice the slight balsam fir note here, which accompanies well next to the "piney" elemi note in the opening. I am sampling the eau de toilette I believe, so perhaps the eau de parfum version has more resonance. Overall a very likable fragrance, but do not feel it quite hits the exceptional mark. (93)

temporalgrace
temporalgrace

This is one of the few fragrances I've tried where the notes pyramid seems to be entirely accurate. Eau des Merveilles opens with juicy orange and tart lemon, as well as resin and lots of black pepper. Proceeding into the drydown, it gets warmer and richer, the orange fades to just a ghost, and evergreen notes come into play. This is a beautiful woody fragrance. I've never smelled anything quite like it. Despite being warm and woody, it still manages to be delicate and feminine in an understated sort of way. This scent is sure to make people come closer to get a better sniff. It's perfect for all seasons and all occasions! The only thing I have an issue with is the elemi resin- it's just the tiniest bit too syrupy. I still love the fragrance, but that makes it very difficult to wear except of very cold days for me!

kris919
kris919

Eau des Merveilles starts very peppery and watery, followed by the woody fir note coming out. The orange is way in the background and barely noticeable, but it comes out brighter and a little sweeter as time goes on. While all of the Merveilles' share some similarities, I think Elixir is the best for it's complexity and strength ( and that yummy gourmand caramel note). Eau de Merveilles turns a little masculine and woody/piney on me after awhile, and it stays watery/weak on me throughout. sillage is soft and longevity is only a few hours.

grillita
grillita

I just tried it today and fell in love with this fragance. It is a unique masterpiece. The mixture of notes is just exquisite. Even with its salty notes, it is still a very feminine fragance with a little bit of mistery.. Can´t wait to have it.

fedz
fedz

What a masterpiece!
I rediscovered Eau des Merveilles this summer and I just can't stop using it. This is really strange for me as I don't like wearing every single day the same fragrance. I want to sniff my arm every single minute. That's how I like it.
From a long time I am not buying 100 ml from a fragrance, but now I am really confused and I am planing to buy a full big bottle of Eau Des Merveilles :)

Thank you Hermes for making my days happier :)

SadieBluesLady
SadieBluesLady

I should have loved this one, but it was too salty.

drouhin
drouhin

Bottega Veneta with more citrus and less patchouli. Its orange/lemon/amber/moss notes seem to be a modern-day stab at a chypre without quite reaching the mark of the older classics. Restrained and tasteful, certainly, but lacking personality and with occasional obvious synthetic moments.

Chanelette
Chanelette

November. The first snow is falling on the pines behind the cottage. Inside, there's a pile of freshly cut wood next to the fireplace. The fire is burning. The sheets on the bed are made of beige silk. The cup of rooibos tea in my hands is keeping me warm while HE's making maple syrup pancakes in the kitchen...

Lucy Peach
Lucy Peach

I used to have this. It's quite unique and definitely suited my skin better in Winter. The amber, wood and slight pepperiness and orange seemed to linger tantalisingly on scarves and sweaters for ages. Ah...memories!

marily
marily

Very woody and spicy scent!!!! Definitely unisex and too strong scent with high longevity!!!! It reminds me a little bit of a elixir clinique

kadinurr
kadinurr

Unique! Warm but distant like fireworks at new year's eve. But sadly it makes me feel claustrophobic - it's super woody, it's so woody that I can feel my nose pressed against inner wall of box made of fresh fir planks. Still I will try it again in winter at christmas (orange, pepper, fir).

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

Earlier I wrote a review on Elixir des Merveilles where I praised the smell of it but did not find it unisex, but way too sweetly feminine, unlike some people had suggested. However, I do find the eau version quite unisex while still exuding the nice amber and orange character of this line. A man could totally wear this one.

Anne4858
Anne4858

I very rarely feel compelled to write a review, as my perfume wardrobe is exactly that...mine!!! I'm covetous in extreme and choose my perfumes carefully and slowly...having added a new fragrance, and being complimented on same, it would not be unthinkable for me to bareface lie about the name of again said perfume!!!! Yes I know... But how awful is it for a wonderful perfume to become a current rave and every second woman spraying it on like it isn't a masterpiece..
SO.. Eau des M is a masterpiece.
Its a grown up woman
Sophisticated but naughty
Confident somewhat haughty
Italian, well heeled financially secure
Beautifully attired
Ready for a bright sunny beach day or a night of seduction
Leaving a trail of olfactory memories always behind her..
Wear this if you dare...add a few drops of the elixir on to well chosen points desired, never will you be forgotten!
My wardrobe hails many masterpieces but this is my best kept secret

Archaic
Archaic

A man can easily wears this. I'm a man and totally love this juice. It opens up with a slight salty/dirty orange note then turns into a ambery resinous orange. Sillage is average, neither too weak nor too strong.

moanilehua
moanilehua

Got this as a sample and it smelled like straight aftershave at first sniff. I was a little turned off but then it dried down to a beautiful resinous, woody, yet fresh scent. I don't get the orange at all and get a hint of mint/eucalytus is the middle. More on the masculine side than I'm used to but I'm so in love. Very elegant. I'll definitely be buying a full bottle.

IsaIsabella
IsaIsabella

Starts off citrusy and salty, like cut oranges floating on top of seawater. Rather interesting. Then the drydown is sweet, woody and resinous. If you're looking for a fresh fragrance this isn't it. It is rather warm, salty, woody and sweet.

flashrainbow
flashrainbow

It's like my LOVE at first sniff fragrance. I am now on my second bottle. My cousin sent me this from Switzerland for my birthday present.
I totally agree with Urban Skies who said it's dark, mysterious, elegant & somewhat aggressive. It truly is.
I often wear it with VS Strawberries Champagne body lotion and spritz EDM on pulse points. Try it, you will be amazed. Blended beautifully and a men magnet.
This beauty really has that je ne sais quoi. C'est tout!

FeistyBourbonGirl
FeistyBourbonGirl

Hmmmm...I got a sample of this and the best thing I can say is it smells like perfume. Yeah I know, a weird review but you know how all those generic department store perfumes smell? That's how this smells. Just something with a scent. I don't detect any citrus at all, mostly woods. Just not special. I won't be buying it.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

This fragrance opens salty and citrusy with amber and eleni resin with faint violet notes. It's a bit soapy and beachy in the top notes and I liked the fragrance at this point. It reminded me of the beach in Sicily and I was totally prepared to love it. Then the pepper and cedar took over and dominated the other notes to the extent that it just too "manly" for me. I have had it on for a few hours now and sadly the drydown got worse on my skin. The saltiness that I liked in the topnotes turned to a sweaty smell after a couple of hours. Sorry, Hermes, but I'm washing this off. That makes me sad because I had high hopes for this one. I'll try some of the flankers and see if I like any of them.

sofababe
sofababe

I have a miniature bottle which I'm using sparingly, it's a very special fragrance, quite unique in my wardrobe. Oranges, amber and pepper dominate in what I would class as a unisex fragrance, the woods prevent EdM being too feminine, this would work well on men I'm sure.
To me EdM works best in hot weather, it lasts much longer when it's warmer and sunny. I tried it in early spring and for me it just doesn't have the same power on chillier days.
Once my precious miniature is finished I think I'm going to have to invest in a full bottle, I now can't imagine hot sunny days without Eau de Merveilles.

Lilii
Lilii

At first I did not like it , it was too bitter for my taste but I started enjoying the dry down that smells like men perfumes. (I personally like unisex perfumes if it is important for you to smell 100% feminine avoid this one because it REALLY smells lovely but masculine!)

Gigis
Gigis

I'm intrigued...it is a bit overwhelming. It reminds me of the first time I was in the ocean and swallowed the very salty seawater and it coated my nose and throat and skin and burned my eyes. And then I sat on the warm beach with my sisters and we ate warm oranges and got sunburns. True story. Now I can't stop smelling my arm and I'm taken right back to that day. Yet I'm not sure if it makes sense to smell like this in the city.

frag-overdose
frag-overdose

This fragrance
really is comforting.

Unlike many citrus
fragrances that offer
fresh, bright and vibrant
citrus scent, in here,
the citrus note is light.
Along with the other

fragrances sold in market
nowadays.

kristina.l.myers
kristina.l.myers

I was ready to love this fragrance, especially after searching for a long time for something new.

The beginning of Eau des Merveilles is lovely, a citrusy amber glow with a lot of warmth...

... But, after a few minutes the glowing citrus layers quickly evaporate and leave something that makes my stomach turn. Though the amber is definitely present (I am fairly sure that I like amber, it was very noticeable in the first spray), I am having a hard time identifying exactly what the rest of the combination showing up at the beginning is, and I have had experiences with very similar scents in childhood that have made me ill. I would appreciate any suggestions from anyone who knows Eau des Merveilles?

This fragrance is not for me, but my mum (who has great taste) sprayed it on herself and loved it.

Definitely try it out though- I do really love the initial zesty scent!

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

This perfume smells like the wind in the sails of a yacht

It definitely says Hermes and I can easily imagine a young Grace Kelly in a white linen shirt, leaning against the yacht mast, one hand shielding her eyes from the bright golden sun of the South Coast of France.

It opens with warm orange and as it dries down definitely has the slight salty edge of amber that makes it a skin scent, and warmer than you'd expect from a summer fragrance. It has a very slightly generic scentiness in a good way - like the drydown of a high-end perfume but it retains a touch of black pepper that lends it a contemporary feel

It's very French in terms of its bourgeois subtle elegance, and at first I found it a little low key in its effect, but this has really grown on me. Quite lovely, more-ish. Though it's taken me a while to come round to buying a full bottle

Sillage soft to moderate, longvevity - perfect

alchemist1976stephanie
alchemist1976stephanie

I had the Hermes bug in my ear when I went sniffing around the fragrance counter today. I had a plan to sample what I could and make a decision later, but then I crossed paths with this enchanting temptress and....Eau des Merveilles had me surrendering my charge card before I knew it!

Such a well balanced composition, I would have never guessed at half the notes listed! At first spritz, a glorious plume of salty summer air comes forth embracing me in a delightful cloud with a slightly masculine edge. On my skin, it is a bit woodsy to start, and ambery throughout but with a soft feminine sweetness that is not quite musky. It reminds me of how the air smells on a humid day, when the blooms and grass are slightly damp but the warmth of the sun is beating down on you. I feel like I just spent a day at the beach! It's summery without being your typical coconut/suntan lotion scent. It is a heavenly elixir and I don't regret buying it one single bit! It has a permanent place in my fragrance wardrobe!

missdietcoke1

I have not used this one for a few months now, and just returned to it today, ohhhh heaven on earth! This is the parfume for me that I refuse to use every day or at work because I think it is so precious and I have to savour every minute of wearing it - who can do that at work?? I know I am being silly, but this is how I feel!:) Love love love, so feminine, so confident yet gentle, so expensive yet down to earth, it is truly a masterpiece. No way it is a man's cologne:) It is absolute sexyness in a bottle!

bam
bam

I believe this fragrance goes with the same line of chanel no.5, but more wearable(although i didnt like chanel, felt it was too strong for my nose, actually i think it's merely overrated).
This one is meant for a confident, unique, and grwn-up sexy lady, in my opinion.
just to be honest, when i smelled this as first, it felt so strong and weird.
but then i tried it again on my skin rather than the tester paper, and when it dried down i absolutely loved it, though many told me it's more masculine, to me it's unique and gorgeous.

Kysyona
Kysyona

Ooooh, this went totally men's aftershave on me. I had really high hopes for this, since I admire so much almost all other HERMES perfumes, but here is my chemistry in all its glory, turning milk sour, again... :-( Somewhere halfway through the drydown I could get a hint of how great this could be on someone with the right skin type. Mine absorbs any sugar and all the light florals almost entirely, and in this case it orange zest and alcohol that are left of the original composition. Maybe a bit of fresh grass rubbed in warm hands, but the amount of alcohol post-drydown is simply overwhelming. Voyage works on me, so does Jardin Mediterranee ( my forever love!! ), faubourg 24 is also not bad (although it's not as deep as on other people I suspect ). Ah well. The Jardin series is more than enough for me to keep coming back to the HERMES counter for a shot of an olfactory delight.

mery09
mery09

I tried Elixir de Merveilles and no way....but this one it is more pleasant in a way, more citrus,but not for me,more unisex.

hbomb9410
hbomb9410

I wish I could enjoy this the way so many others do, but this just smells like men's cologne on me. All I can smell is black pepper, cedar, and fir. I can't even call this unisex.

I would probably really enjoy it on a man. Men should not be afraid to try this.

RemingtonSteele
RemingtonSteele

Very nice, intriguing womens scent. Not overpowering, leaves you wanting to smell more. Sample I tested was not overly orange or amber in anyway. Not a everywomens scent.

french_cactus
french_cactus

I have it in EDP. This is the quintessence of amber and spices. Any other amber will contain a 1/10th of this perfume diluted with dull flowers/chemicals. Spices, those are more like "pain d'epices" type of spices, sweet in a sense. It has also a tiny part of booziness in it, more sort of cognac.
What I like that despite being amber/pain d'epices/confite of oranges it is not sweet and it does not have that sweet generic drydown from which many perfumes in this direction suffer.
It is definitely unique in its kind and recognizable once smelled by chance on the street.

Na0
Na0

I could say anything about this one, It wouldn't be enough. That's impossible to write a review that could pay tribute to that perfume.

So...

Let's resume it in one sentence. Rest would be superfluous.

Greatest Unisex (And I insist on that !) Marvel EVER !

For those who can't smell it for any technical reason, see how beautiful the bottle is ? The scent in it is the same. Period.

Smell : 5 / 5
Versatility : 5 / 5
Longevity : 5 / 5
Sillage : 5 / 5

Overall : 20 / 20 ... Yes. Maximal note for this one.

Dimitra79
Dimitra79

I can't even describe this...it's so unique!!!
Mysterious, strange, fresh, alluring....absolutely gorgeous!
I used to wear sweet floral perfumes. Not any more.
Hermes, welcome.

maeculpa
maeculpa

Bought myself a big bottle for my birthday. I love the combination of orange and saltiness. So far nobody else seems to notice or like it but I will stick to my guns.

I've had the Eau des Merveilles and thought it was just beautiful but that it disappeared too quickly. The Elixir has better longevity but is still three to four hours tops. It is wonderfully creamy and wears close to the skin. There is also an airiness to it, something uplifting. It does sparkle and at the same time have a woody depth.

It is not at all perfumy or heady, which I find is common to most of the so called sophisticated classic fragrances and which I don't like.

Oops wrong review - i meant to review the Elixir. Oh well,.

Whit
Whit

Mmmmm...I really like this! I got a sample of it and I've been testing it out like crazy. Warm yet fresh, an interesting mix of notes. It reminds me of the beach as the sun is setting, but it also reminds me of fall when the leaves are changing. On my skin, it's mostly a warm, orange-amber woodsy aroma; I smell very little of the pepper. I find that it has wonderful longevity with moderate sillage, and it evokes feelings of a bright, sunny day. I can definitely see this being a "good mood" fragrance with it's warm and inviting aroma. If you're wanting something that's a different take on citrus and woods, then give this one a try.

svansant74
svansant74

I had high hopes this fragrance was a masterpiece, and my hopes were shattered upon first sniff. The initial spray is quite strong though, for me it's almost medicinal - a blast of vetiver and citrus, but the dry down does have a gentle salty sweetness. I would recommend you give it a try. I own a big bottle and do not regret it. I look forward to giving it another try this summer.

antfarm
antfarm

Who would think that salty notes and citrus could combine to create such a smoldering, skin-from-the beach, ambery-orange scent? It reminds me of the setting sun. Truly a glowing, standalone wonder.

Roxy66
Roxy66

It is a bit difficult, after having seen all these enthusiastic comments, to say I dislike it.
Actually it's a well studied and particular fragrance. I admire especially pepper as well as fir and orange; they are surely lively parts of the recipe but ... I don't know what it is ... on me it gains bitterness .... there is something that jars ....

It is a bit difficult, after having seen all these enthusiastic comments, to say that I dislike it. Actually it is surely a particular and well-studied fragrance, but maybe on me it gains bitterness. What I admire is pepper. It'a very lively part of the recipe, as well as fir and orange, but ... I don't know what it is ... there is something that jars ...

alicey
alicey

Eau des Merveilles is such a fun fragrance! I feel free-spirited, outgoing and downright beachy when I wear EdM.

The drydown process is very enjoyable indeed. I don't care much for EdM in the initial stages when the orange dominates most. But when the orange mellows a bit, the complexities of a rather mysterious harmony begins to appear. EdM is magical in every way.

alanood
alanood

wow this perfume was love at first sniff. the best orange perfume ever . dafnitly one of my favs. its perfect for morning and very unque . it starts of with this biutifull combo of orange and lemon , than amber not taks it statment to make orange becomes so delicious . it stayes very looong on skine and sillage is perfect . this is one of theas perfumes that turned a lot of heds to me and i had been asked about it several times. just loooooove this

missdietcoke1

Finally, after all this time I have found my signature perfume! It is all that I was looking for. Very unique and deep. I'm getting tons of compliments on it and even my boyfriend who never ever compliments on my perfumes said it is very nice. I can't control myself and I spray and I spray day and night, I wanna bath in this:) I hope this phase will pass soon, but I will always use this perfume!

I always think lasting power is not good, however I got a huge compliment on my smell the other day, after an 8 hour working day! So I guess just because I can not smell it on myself anymore it doesn't mean others can't. Anyways they say that if a person can´t smell a scent while wearing it but all the others can, then it suits him/her the best. This is my case with Eau Des Merveilles!

This is by far my favorite fragrance. It is perfect!

(Interesting side note: First I tried this parfume about 6-7 years ago in Sephora. I liked the bottle so I sprayed some parfume on my wrist and I took a huge step back. Dislike big time. And then kept smelling my wrist all day, and kept thinking about it for weeks. Every time I passed by a Sephora I would spray this on my wrist, and only this. It started to grow on me... Moved back to Europe, no Sephora, forgot about this beauty. Fast forward to now, and I am deeply in love with my EDM. Funny how your taste change...)

wyrdlam
wyrdlam

Eau des Merveilles is one of the most charming, unique fragrances I have ever worn and smelled. I love how this perfume reverses the traditional pyramid of notes; it opens with typical base notes so that the woods and ambergris are present from the beginning. When I first smelled the nozzle of the sample bottle without actually spraying any perfume on, the first words that came to mind were “adventurous” and “spicy” and “exciting.”

On the first spray, I smell a lot of pepper mixed with earthy woods, salty ambergris, and a hint of lemon. True ambergris is extremely expensive, so I assume it’s artificially constructed. It opens up way too peppery for my liking, but there is just something very charming about this. It could be that I’m reminded of the sea and shores from the scent of ambergris. The pepper stays very strong, but the woods and ambergris do help to balance out the scent and prevent it from being only spice.

When the pepper fades after a few hours of wear and the citruses truly begin to emerge on my skin, I smell the sexiest scent I have ever worn. The orange and lemon citruses mixed with the smell of salt and wood are so seductive because it smells very adventurous, free, and just completely sexy! The only way to describe this smell in material images is to say that I picture myself on the shores, ready for a voyage out to the sea. And I’m not talking about a commercial beach resort full of loud tourists; I’m thinking about the Romantic illustrations of legendary ships at port. Some reviewers mentioned they smell too much orange from beginning to end, but the orange doesn’t come out on my skin very much and I actually wish there were more citrus notes because the pepper is just too much on me.

I will say that this doesn’t smell exactly like the ocean, but all the different scents battling against each other (spicy, salty, woody, citrusy) are working marvelously to make you think of the salty sea, grainy seashore, and mossy woods. It’s about creating associations in order to make the scent of ambergris stand out. After all, true ambergris is elusive and both sweet and woody. It also best stands out when delicately mixed with other scents. And in case you’re worried about getting overloaded with smells, Eau Des Merveilles is crafted with amazing balance.

I think this is a fragrance that can be worn year-round. The pepper and cedar would do well in winter, and the ambergris and orange would smell beachy for the summer after cooling off from the ocean or pool. It’s neutral enough for the transitional seasons, too. If anything though, I might be concerned about being too overwhelmed with pepper in the summer. I personally wouldn’t wear this daily just because I would miss smelling floral and feminine notes that are lacking in this scent. I don’t consider Hermes EDM really refreshing; it smells quite salty and would be worn on only certain occasions.

I don’t know if this is advertised as unisex, but I strongly believe it can be worn by both women and men. Although ambergris is historically associated with feminine scent, this perfume lacks the florals that are considered feminine today. Also, it has citrus, woods, and peppers that would be very appropriate for men. In fact, my boyfriend even said that he’s nearly positive his male coworker wears this fragrance.

As for longevity and sillage, Eau des Merveilles is great. One spray on my wrist was enough to get my boyfriend to notice this perfume, and he rarely ever takes notice or comments. And it lasted for several hours. This is an expensive fragrance, so I don’t know when I will make the commitment of buying a full bottle, especially since my boyfriend is reminded of his male coworker whenever I spray this on. Maybe I’ll buy it for him (and I'll just steal it every now and then) since he expressed interest in trying it.

But don’t let that deter you, ladies! It truly is a unique fragrance and well executed. I only wish that the peppers weren’t so strong on my skin, but like I said, the ambergris and orange is an unbelievably sexy combination. Test it first before buying because it’s not for everyone! 5/5

Kingpharroh
Kingpharroh

Eau Des Merveilles is good scent that starts out very promising. The orange salty vibe that it exudes is very refreshing and invigorating; the orange in particular is light and not overpowering. It seems to effervescence off your skin like a gentle sea breeze. The pepper, vetiver, and cedar all work together, to give Eau Des Merveilles some structure without compromising its delicate nature. I consider this scent to be completely unisex; as a guy or woman can easily pull it off. This fragrance can also be worn all year with no problem.

The only problem is the dry down, which can come across as “cheap orange shampoo”, which can be a problem for some. To solve this minor issue, I would recommend layering this scent with another slightly stronger scent. One in particular, Terre D’Hermes ( edt), is one that would work perfectly with this one. The strong mineral-like, woodsy, and grapefruit accords would be great with the airy orange ambergris accords. Because of this I can only give this one a neutral, but overall, its not too bad.

betinabetty
betinabetty

un'essenza molto giovane..mi è piaciuto

jeanbean7777
jeanbean7777

This perfume smells like you are on beautiful cliff overlooking the sea in a dream.....a marvelous and beautiful dream you don't want to wake up from. It's kinda like a memory, a light filled moment standing still in time. Quite frankly, this one takes my breathe away. My holy god this is beautiful. I think this is great in any season and any time of day. It smells very expensive. The ingredients, specifically the orange and amber are obviously very fine.it could be unisex for sure....however, I really think the Dry down is more feminine. It has a strength in it. The uniqueness of this scent is that it could go from the boardroom to the bedroom to the beach with shorts and flip flops.. tis is a remarkable perfume....perhaps the best perfume I have ever smelled. It is very different and I remember the magic of life when I wear this one like the moment you met a friend or the first time you saw a natural wonder...,, I know that sounds kinda strange but it kind of has a really mesmerizing quality to it.I also get the beach and the idea of lots of green trees all over...this is great.. feel more comfortable and confident when I wear this. I feel like if I were to design a perfume this could be it.

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

Eau de Merveilles is a minor miracle of a fragrance.

What it may lack in troubling depths and dark complexity it more than makes up for in its spare and precise composition.

This perfume exceeds the mere reminiscence of a beach in high summer, this is sand, and sun and sea and mainly salt.

There are some tones of sweetness too, of amber and orange citrus. There's swathe of forest, the needles of towering conifers, their bark, their resins and the wild grasses that the trees protect then give way to on the exposed dunes.

After the initial fruit of the opening the fragrance dries down into a fairly linear scent, but then aren't the best beach days seemingly constant and unending too?

And the best beach days? Well they are shared with the best of friends, and they can all - men and women - come along to this elegant party.

A quick burst of bright orange soon joined by as many variations of pepper as cam be imagined. An hour or so later some fir and a little violet warm the mix.

I found this unusual at first testing and difficult for my nose to get past the pepper. Now I have tried it a few times I think that on me it is quite Christmasy and warm.

Carolina Telo
Carolina Telo

I am the proud owner of a full bottle of this marvellous scent since the end of this afternoon: this is really very lovely and I don't understand why I didn't buy it before (I remember a friend using this and I already loved it on her). Gorgeous from the moment I put it on till the end, just the way I like my scents. Fresh and warm, peppery and woody, full of contrasts. Enchanting!

branda324
branda324

My physics teacher told us to always keep things stupid and simple. So...

I have more than 40 kinds of perfumes.
I wore eau des merveilles to school the day after I got it.
My aunt did not open the windows of the car when she drove me to school.
Everyone said it was the best smell on me ever.
Then it became my signature scent.

The only negative comment I've got on this perfume is that the smell is a little bit too old for a teenager.
Recommended to those who are more than 25 years old.

kxnaiades

Hmm, citrus+wood+spice in moderation make up this fresh and invigorating scent that is to me, unisex. A well-balanced scent, the kind of unoffending perfume that would be safe and pleasant as a gift and a staple in many wardrobes. I have nothing negative to say about this, but it doesn't leave me in raptures either. It's just too moderated, too safe for me, in a world where there is so much choice and that Hermes' scents are rather pricey here in Asia.I'm not sure why I went nuts over Tauer's Zeta and Aqua di Parma's Colonia but this just didn't move me, in my humble opinion, it's just the about the perfume and my chemistry. It's sillage is medium, lasting power about 4 hours. I would not thumb down this perfume as its quality does show through and though unremarkable, this would definitely suffice when a citrus/woody/oriental mix is required.

My3Champs
My3Champs

It's a nice woody oriental to me. I can pick up the orange peel, pepper scent right away. I don't see it as a feminine scent, more unisex. It's not as if I put it on and feel so sexy. I am not thrilled about this perfume, but was given to me as a gift, so I wear it at times. I must admit, it has yet to grow on me.

LipstickJunkie
LipstickJunkie

I've been wearing it every winter for five years and I just can't et enough of it!! I love it because it doesn't smell girly at all, it's sillage is unique, it's sunny, warm and very envelopping, my only regret is that I personally can't use it during hot days because the smell becomes very strong and suffocating for me

fazalcheema
fazalcheema

just gorgeous..really marvelous and can be worn by men...

miss congenialty
miss congenialty

This is my ultimate favorite perfume and my signature scent. It's my secret.
I love it soo much.I bought it since I discovered it 3 years ago and I wear it almost every day. A little goes along way and it's very long lasting even after washing my cloths. Never found something similar or even close to it's beauty. This is my taste in scents. I try to change but I find myself coming back to it.

finanna
finanna

My review is based on consuming a miniature of 7 ml. I was more keen on Elixir des Merveilles, but my friend got me this one by mistake. I really wanted to like this, since I have read so many positive reviews but I think we were never meant to be a pair. This is more fresh cologne-type fragrance while I am a spicy/incense/floriental girl.

Eau des Merveilles opens with a blast of oranges and citrus, softened by salt, pepper&amber. From my perfume-eating skin (even when moisturized properly), the citrus buggers off quite fast, leaving a classic salty/chypre/woody (the fir note is definitely there) cologne which lingers on about 6h. Not much sillage, but great staying power. I agree with previous reviewers that something on this says "seaside holiday".

EdM suits both genders, on me it smells like a classic men's cologne and I really liked it on my boyfriend. I don't get any sweetness or the "sparkling femininity". Not bad but completely uninteresting on me. But if you are looking for a cologne-type frag with a twist, this is worth trying.

Eos
Eos

To my nose this is a very interesting composition. Its most definitely a chypre. What I find most appealing about this scent has not yet been addressed in the reviews below or reflected in the note votes. This chypre seems to be a thoughtful riff on the concept of classic vetiver heavy fragrances, while not pushing that specific note to the forefront. Instead the composition amps up three notes that typically have supporting roles in great vetiver fragrances:
1) the citric note
2) the salty note
3) the aquatic note
Its this underlying structure that I think a lot of people are associating with something masculine or the proto-typical aftershave vibe. Despite the qualities that some find masculine, to my nose it has a pretty healthy dose of violet and oakmoss in the drydown that I find wonderfully clean, pleasant and unexpectedly provocative.

Sillage: 8 feet
Longevity: 6 hours on my skin, weeks on a scarf.
Citric-Aquatic-Chypre. A scent to be worn by libertines. If you like Niki de Saint Phalle, you might like this. Not because they smell alike, but because the same man or woman who can pull off Niki is likely to be able to wear this with ease. Drop dead gorgeous on either sex.

sophiesophiesophie
sophiesophiesophie

I love this fragrance!! I had it, i tried other parfums as Dior J'Adore and others but Eau des merveilles is still my favorite and 'm going to buy it again, and again, and again

farceuse
farceuse

I went to Neiman Marcus specifically to try Eau des Merveilles, having read some reviews that made me think I would like it. Tried it on one arm, and the Hermes woman chose Hiris for the other arm. Talk about an emotional roller-coaster ride! But I liked them both that day in the store. I couldn't choose, so I bought them both.

Eau des Merveilles is reminiscent of a day at the beach, near the pier merry-go-round. Sounds happy, doesn't it? I hear the calliope when I wear it. But this scent somehow makes me feel as if I am alone and apart and so lonely on a beach crowded with families and sunbathers of all ages, shapes and sizes -- as if I do not belong. It's a manic scent, and, though familiar, also foreign in the sense that it feels forced to me. In what should be a cheerful setting, I can only feel as though my smile is pasted on and fake.

I don't know what it is about Eau des Merveilles that brings out these negative feelings; I do love the smell of the beach. Maybe it's just that EdM doesn't really suit my personality. I enjoy Bobbi Brown's Beach (happier to me, and more like pure suntan lotion with a bit of sand), although its wearability is limited. I had high hopes for EdM, and now I'm going to take a shower and put on something different... and then call Neiman Marcus to see if they'll let me return this stuff.

What I'm looking for in a beach scent is the smell of seaweed, or kelp, with the sound of gulls and a feeling of calm depth and spaciousness that looks more towards the ocean itself than towards the boardwalk and the crowds. EdM is the opposite.

Elenkina
Elenkina

Ah, just got this perfume! Very delighted!. I wanted it for such a long time! Love this trully unique fregrance.

Alioth
Alioth

Please update the lastest information about Eau des Merveilles as soon as possible. It is Eau Des Merveilles Au Bal Des Etoiles,2012 limited edition. Hoping to know more about it. Thanks!

Razzamatazz
Razzamatazz

Classy and elegant but not old-lady,woody,quiet but with a sparkle.This scent has a strong presence without being loud and is quite mature but suitable for younger people, too. Earthy and warm elements mix with citrus notes along with peppery twists and a hint of cedar and fir creating an exquisite smell.Very well done,balanced and sophisticated almost as if some ancient secret wisdom is about to unravel itself.That is why i think is called eau des merveilles!

dlane1953
dlane1953

I've worn this a handful of times and it continues to delight and surprise. It's crisp, refreshing, and feels like a day at a beach in Maine, with the scent of pine and cedar woods wafting in to mingle with the seaspray. The peppers were an inspired touch and come to the forefront rather quickly after the initial citrus scent. I barely catch a whiff of the violet, the note is subtle. The fragrance of fir and cedar comes out quickly, and the dry orange accord remains throughout the life of the fragrance. The woodsy drydown is wonderful, so clean and fresh yet has enough depth to pull this airy scent earthward again. I find it refreshing to wear a fragrance without noticable florals, especially in the heat of summer. Sillage is good, longevity about 6 hours on me. An exquisite bottle design! Great unisex scent too.

Catty
Catty

For more than an eternity my spring/summer scent is Cristalle edt and it will remain so. But after so much time, I was searching for a fresh scent without being citrus to wear too. Bingooo . . .c´est ca: eau des merveilles.

Super fresh, a lightly woody-cedar scent with this french-chic touch, without sounds vintage and old-fashion. On the other way around, very very modern and clean, but with presence.

I loved it!

zakalkwe
zakalkwe

perfect for the hot summer days: unusual woody scent: dry, salty with a hint of orange zest... It lasts all day ...my favourite!

xabaras
xabaras

This is the ultimate WOW scent because it's been created "the other way round", and that is what makes Eau des Merveilles so special. The first amazing concept is that the notes which are usually at the base of the pyramid are in the opening, so you smell the beauty of the woody notes from the very start, and this pine-oakmoss-cedar woody smell is gorgeous and soothing. Then it changes slightly, it becomes ambery but in a fresh way, leaving soon space to the freshness of the citrus mixed with the peppery note which you'd expect in the top notes, but in this beauty of a scent they are at the base, so you start with intense woody freshness and you end up smelling even more freshness.
I LOVE it and it is one of my absolute favourite fragrances.

HilaryAppleFace
HilaryAppleFace

I'm crazy about this fragrance. I imagine myself in the middle of the ocean on a sailboat, the salty sea-air drenching my skin, and the sun shining down onto my hair.

This scent is woody, salty, and aquatic. It's peculiar, because you would think the woody notes would be at the bottom, when it's actually the opposite. The fragrance starts with salty wood and ends with a bitter orange. Peculiar.

I have a sample vial of this at the moment. I'll be so sad when it runs out. When I spray this on myself, I have wonderful daydreams of a beautiful beach. I'll definitely save up for a bottle soon :)

lake
lake

The evergreen smack the daylight out of you; haunt you to the point of annoyance yet you feel that there is something wonderful beneath all that funiture stain smell, but you can't pull it out complely. Oak and cedar should never be in the same composition together, it ruins the effect. But I welcome the wornderful citrusy opening of that perfume,if only it lasted longer than the Pinesol provocation.

crazyperfumelady
crazyperfumelady

Very unisex, but leaning more towards the feminine side. This smells wonderful, sparkling, warm, expensive, fizzy, unique. Eau des Merveilles. xxx

Turtledove
Turtledove

This is nicer than I expected! Eau des Merveilles is oudoorsy and clean, like a breath of fresh mountain air. It tones down the resinous evergreen from Elixir into a fresh, breezy, quieter version. Even though fir seems like it should be a holiday note, it's very crisp and summery to me, the pepper makes it light and zesty rather than sappy and thick (like Elixir.) I think my favorite thing about it is that there's no riot of competing notes to assault the senses - just earth and trees and fresh air.

I love that it still has the earthiness of Elixir without being quite so overpowering, it's much more wearable, and I think it'd work for either men or women. It wears very lightly too, staying in your personal space. It isn't sweet at all though - at least on me, it only had the bitter/citrus oil aspect of orange zest, not the sweetness.

RachelGrigg
RachelGrigg

This is beautiful and I'd buy it in an instant if it had more projection and didn't wear so close to the skin. I have to breathe my wrist deeply to smell anything at all!!!! Such a shame!

missymary
missymary

Had sniff of this in the airport yesterday and I'm still in 2 minds about it. The bottle was what attracted me, holy-moly, it's like an accident in the glass furnace! The scent was Cointreau for a few minutes and then there was amber, and I was lovin' it, and then it was gone. Did it have a bit of ozonic seaweed in it somewhere?

I'll have to test it again, when I have more time. It's intriguing, perhaps a good entry point into orange scents, which are not a favourite of mine but Eau des Merveilles could be the one that wins me over.

joyjoyjoy
joyjoyjoy

whenever i wear this perfume, i feel Amazon. i feel like i'm wandering in Amazon with cozy sunshine, plump breeze and countless green. Merveilles !!!!!!!

aschiffm
aschiffm

mm salty! I like that the oranges don't overpower, they are tamed by this subdued vetiver and beach air/sand smell. It's like if you walked on the beach on a cold day and it happened to have some oranges burried in the sand. the amber keeps it sunny without letting it get too flighty. Hermes fragrances are very surreal to me. This screams summer in a unique way.

steveniox
steveniox

A strange one on me. After applying, I get candied oranges, then poof, 5 minutes later it's gone. It took about an hour and a half to resurface as candied oranges again, with the faintest hint of vetiver. Certainly not the sillage monster I've read in a lot of reviews, for me it barely hovers above the skin. Skin chemistry, ack...

walkinroundtown
walkinroundtown

This is a fragrance I actually started off not liking but grew to love.

When I first went to test it out, I thought, "What's the big deal?". I could smell some of the beachiness, but to me, it smelt more like pool than beach. More like recently cleaned toilets with urinal cakes at the public pool with chlorinated water. And yes, that was the exact thing my mind first conjured up. That image stuck and completely turned me off the fragrance. To me, it smelled weird. But I wanted to like it cause, come on, it's HERMES. I went back a couple of days later and tried again but that mental picture was completely stuck in my head.

At that time, I was trying to find a signature fragrance and having sniffed so many bottles and cards and samples, I kept thinking about EDM and how unique it was. Even if at the time I thought it was uniquely weird. So many fragrances I was smelling smelt so alike and mainstream that I went back to the EDM and tested it again. And again. And again. And that's when I learned to appreciate it and fell in love. Not because it's Hermes, but because it smells beautiful. It's such a clean scent to me now. It no longer conjures up urinals (thank goodness).

On me it has more of an earthy, woody, balmy accord with a ambery and a very subtle citrus accord. It just smells clean. Don't get me wrong, I love and own fruity, oriental, and spicy scents, but I always smell them, on other people. And sometimes you need a break from that. This is like a breath of fresh air. And I've been finding lately that that's what I want.

Is this my signature fragrance? I don't know. There's still so much out there for me to smell, even though I've smelt a lot. But it's definitely one of my favourites. And to me, it's also a perfect unisex fragrance.

The sillage is not that great, just okay for me, but I like it as a skin scent. The longevity is more than decent. I can wear this for a full day at work and still smell in on my skin after 8 to 9 hours later.

amber23
amber23

I am a big fan of this and always buy a large 100ml bottle as I never get tired of it. It smells just beautiful. I cant smell any orange in it, but that amber woody scent that stays on for ages and its just wonderful. one of my favorite fragrances. Love it

AmoreProfumi
AmoreProfumi

Eau des Merveillas, Merveillas means "WONDER" which the whole bottle design with the mystical sparkly design is based around Fireworks && the wonder && joy we get from such a beautiful sight. It is hoped that you get the same experience when you spray it on you && (IMO) you really do its such a beautiful scent, different && captivating I fell in love with it the 1st time I tested it.

The bottle is simplistically pretty. I say its pretty safe using for a year round scent or at least spring into fall && also (IMO) pretty safe for both sexes, even though it is a woman's scent, I have worn this quite a few times && I just love how it smells on me, && its so fresh uplifting.

I get a real clean citrusy soapy ambery smell && when I get a wift of myself its that trigger of "MMMMM AHHHHH"!lol any fragrance that has that reaction is GOOD! in my book. It truly is a magical scent && a must have to your collection female or male. :)

perilandia
perilandia

Great fragrance, very feminine and chic.
To a woman with class.
Can be used all the time and you'll always be noticed but not in the wild way
When I wear it always reminds me Dolce & Gabbana The one
One of my favorites
Sorry for my poor English

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

I've had to retest this one as I practically couldn't smell anything last time I picked it up. Today I gave my wrist a good spritz and wow! This is how I expect Secretions Magnifique to smell. Salty, lightly citrussy with a definate 'bilge' note that verges on the incontinent. This sounds like I don't like it but actually I love it and find it very interesting to wear. It's more a feeling than a scent and reminds me of sun, sea, sand and ...!

atv315
atv315

I like this, I don't love it. I find it quite mainstream for Hermes in some ways. There is nothing exotic about it to me, I think I need a touch of sweetness to make it a bit more complex or dynamic. That being said, it is definitely a great scent and I would bet a very safe blind buy or gift for a most people, particularly for ages 30-60. I agree that there is definitely a masculine and aggressive element to it which is probably what I would like toned down a bit. I do agree that there is something mysterious about the scent yet, somehow, it smells intrinsically mysterious without being particularly unique IMO.

valens

UPDATE: NOW I GOT IT... IT STILL SURPRISES ME AFTER 2 YEARS OF SMELLING IT ON DIFFERENT OCCASIONS. IT SMELLS THE BEST ON ME WHEN I HAVE A DEADLINE DAY AND I GET THE BEST OF ME TO FINISH UP...SO THE EDM-IT GIVES UP THE MOST BEAUTIFUL VERSION OF IT...ON ME. AND I KNOW WHAT I MEAN... IT'S BEEN TESTED SEVERAL TIMES. SO, GIVE IT A TRY! THEN YOU'LL KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!

Chris v.V.
Chris v.V.

Update: almost 2 years later I finally own this scent, and I am elated! Three very thoughtful young women bought this for me (one had actually remembered a comment I'd made months before -- AND BROUGHT THIS BACK FROM PARIS!). Thank you!
Quick! Someone get a crowbar, and pry my nose from my wrist!

I've finally tried Eau des Merveilles! And, come hell or high water, I shall own a bottle of this gorgeous stuff (hopefully) soon.

Just like everyone else here says: oranges, a little pepper, lots of warm woodsy notes. And, on me, there's a sort of cholcolate (?) sweetness, too. (However, I don't know where this comes from since, unlike Elxir des Merveilles and Eau Claire des Merveilles, there is no vanilla, tonka bean or caramel listed in its ingredients).

Despite the fact that the absolute end of the drydown is just okay (a sweet talc on me), the other hours of it on my skin are spectacular.

This, right here, is the kind of scent that reminds me of all things cosy and warm.

smelling_gr8
smelling_gr8

:-))...mmmmm candied orange peel and spicy tangerines, absolutely gorgeous warm and delicious fragrance, strangely enough, quite well sued for Christmas too as I can (somehow) detect cinnamon in it lol

cinsot
cinsot

Gosh this is GOOD.

An effervescent peppery cedar scent. It simply sparkles.

Citruses peek playfully through sheer violet, resinous amber rests upon traditionally masculine notes of fir, oakmoss and vetiver.

Another quality Hermes offering bringing a touch of luxury to everyday living.

Lovin' it.

gbush

I gave an initial knee-jerk review recently ... I have since bought a large bottle of Eau and couldn't be more thrilled with my purchase! For an individual like myself, who wears very few perfumes, I am surprised at how much I love this fragrance.

Eau des Merveilles reminds me of the slightly lonely, wind swept, Canadian West Coast shoreline. This is not a pristine, white sand, beach fragrance ... Eau des Merveilles is the raw, Rocky mountain coast line, pressed up against majestic fir and pine dotted mountains. This is where eagles sore, the salmon spawn, and the occasional orca rears it's head. When I inhale this fragrance it returns me to this wonderful place! The gentle violet and mild pepper undertones adds a special feminine allure on my skin, but I can see how this fragrance would work on a mans skin as well. In fact, I think I will convince my non-perfume wearing husband to try this ... is it strange for a husband and wife to wear the same fragrance (smile)?!!

Grottola
Grottola

Ladies and gentlemen, that smell is undeniable: this is a chypre.

Yes, Eau des Merveilles is a modern chypre, with Hermès signature unique salty orange-kinda note. It works out perfectly, and lasts a good while, because it's well done with good materials.

If you'd like to know what a chypre smells like, this is a decent place to start.

czerwinski1
czerwinski1

Very very elegant,spicy-fresh,salty orange,green forrest,woody.This is my number one!

gbush

Oh my ... I ordered a bottle of Eau Claire from Holt Renfrew and the sales attendant sent me a sample of Eau. I love this perfume!! Feminine and sultry with subtle hints of the orange, amber, and woods ... wow! ... I think I have to become the proud owner of a bottle of Eau ... it smells different enough from the Claire to my nose.

Tovah
Tovah

I love Eau des Merveilles! It's so warm, cheerful, and woodsy. There's no sweetness at all; this fragrance rebels against traditional florals and gourmands. I find the lasting power to be fantastic (almost overwhelming), and I have to be very, very careful to spray lightly or this gives me a whopping headache. Eau des Merveilles evokes salty beach air as the winds disappear at sunset.

jasonchickerson
jasonchickerson

This review is for the EDT, which smells as different from the EDP as it does from all the other versions.

Eau des Merveilles is a really warm, peppery, resinous amber scent. Many newer fragrances smell the same or better on paper or clothing than they do on skin. Merveilles is one that needs skin to bloom. On paper, notes of cane sugar, amber, cedar, flowers and a hint of lemon blend into a kind of scented silk flower preserved in hairspray kind of scent. On skin, the same notes exist but are rearranged into a warmer, richer mix that seems alive.

Smelling Merveilles on my arm brings to mind a picture of spring flowers on a cold autumn day. The image is incongruous but instead of ringing false it is fantastical and hopeful like a little girl's dream of a perfume. But because the floral and amber lies over a base of soft woods and pepper, Merveilles works as unisex. Imagine a well dressed older gentleman smoking peach flavored tobacco in his cedarwood pipe and you get the idea.

Unlike most of the newer Hérmès offerings, Merveilles lasts all day on skin and projects well. Sillage is of the sort that people will smell you coming instead of going. Whether those are good things is up to you.

One spray is enough on most skin types, but be careful where you put it. Merveilles is very difficult to wash off. It eludes even diligent scrubbing and you'll be smelling this until you see your dry cleaner if you accidentally spritz your jacket sleeve.

ducktuck
ducktuck

I'm wearing this right now and I can't stop smelling the snood around my neck that I sprayed it on.
Warm caramelized orange, with soft sweet fir, and a hint of salt. I am also getting clove from this. The difference between this and Elixir to me seems to be that salty note which makes this somehow fresher than Elixir (which I LOVE), and far more marine like. Imagine hot cider on the beach. Beautiful sillage, and great lasting power.

Asmaa youssef
Asmaa youssef

Peppery orange, elegant, nice perfume for winter and night...

sarazonoz
sarazonoz

This could definitely work as a unisex perfume. I had a girlfriend who always used to wear it and I remember it used to make my nose itch. There is a sharp note in there that punches me in the face and that I guess some people can't stand. But overall, even I have to appreciate the sophistication and elegance. It smells like a classy, loud person yearning for attention.

anniebanannie
anniebanannie

"I work all night, I work all day, to pay the bills
I have to pay
Ain't it sad
And still there never seems to be a single penny left for me
That's too bad
In my dreams I have a plan
If I got me a wealthy man
I wouldn't have to work at all, I'd fool around and have a ball...
Money, money, money
Must be funny
In the rich man's world
Money, money, money
Always sunny
In the rich man's world
Aha-ahaaa
All the things I could do
If I had a little money
It's a rich man's world."

Money, Money, Money by ABBA

Imagine how it would feel to win the lottery: In my dream, there is a rainstorm of money, lots and lots of money. You are swirling around with your arms in the air, then jumping to grab it all and then when you realize you have all of this to your self, fall asleep with a big, fat grin in your heap of money. Then wake up, pull a Tom Cruise on your heap and do it all over again. Utter happiness...

This baby is all orange and money y'all. I know I've said this somewhere in here but I don't mind saying it again: This fragrance makes me sneeze and cry. Sneeze because that is the reaction I tend to have when I smell dollar bills. I think this is where the pepper comes in. Softly spicy. That sharp paper and ink smell. Then cry because as a fragrance, I find it so funny. Imagine the smell of fresh dollar bills and oranges, and it makes me smile. Maybe I'm weird. Yet this makes grin brightly at the end of the day. Now I know how rich people feel in the morning; It's addicting! That euphoric feeling that you are atop of the world is powerful and can make everyday feel wonderful. A happy day for an investment banker...That feeling that you are financial well. That is how I feel when I wear this. You should feel my nervous happiness in my writing of this.

The orange is quite dry here and is followed by that dry pepper. Amber works as the "glue". This is then proceeded by fruity sparkling, almost end of spring woods if that makes sense. It is very elegant, indeed mysterious, but it does have a sense of humor. I've received some compliments on this, but most tell me this is definitely for a more mature person. I also agree, I love it and by no means is it mature, but I find an older woman can have more fun wearing this as the "money" smelling pepper can come off as too "serious" on a younger person. But seriously people, overall, this perfume is awesome! It's insane how well made this is and there is no one clear way to describe this I think. It's multi-dimensional and it would go with anyone I believe. I know I sound like a some crazy person that had too much coffee this morning, and perhaps I did. But this fragrance makes me smile. I think everyone would love this; Who doesn't love some money?!

darlingalchemist
darlingalchemist

My boyfriend bought this for me this weekend. I love it! It reminds me of him. It is light and spring-like. It has citrus and spice and pepper. Very unique. I was torn between this one and Elixer de Merveilles. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THEM BOTH!!! However, my boyfriend convinced me to take the Elixer back and get the Eau de Merveilles since I live in a warm climate. I like the scent of the Eau a little bit better. It is not a gourmand as Elixer and considering that I have Hanae Mori, a gourmand scent, I can apprecite the uniqueness of this.

My only concern...I am not sure about the longevity. The lotion is not available in my town to layer the scent.

All of that said, I do think that it represents my personality. It is a unique mixture of pepper, spice, freshness, spice and sweet. The added bonus is that it makes me think of my beloved.

princess_buttercup
princess_buttercup

I'm giddy over this. I finally broke down and bought myself a small bottle and it's SO worth it.
I don't get anything beachy at all. I also actually only get a little orange.
I get alot of warm woods, creaminess and spiciness. It's heavenly. Perfect for this time of year (fall). I can smell it all day, but it's not overpowering at all. It's soft and comforting. I can see why people say this is masculine. It's not a girly girl fragrance. To me, however, the ambiguity somehow makes it more feminine and dare I say sexy?
I have a few fragrances I thought I loved. No, they are merely like-worthy. THIS is love. I can't get enough. I may have found my signature.
I am totally in love with myself when I wear this.

evilspin
evilspin

so I was searching for a womans fragrance for my mom and I smelled all the 5 Merveilles collection of Hermes. They didnt scream out to me much but Elixer did. It's more of a gourmand interpretation of Eau des Merveilles. Im not even a fan of Gourmand but i couldnt stop smelling the paper sample. Well I chose that one to purchase and my mom loved it and i told her that I hoped I got the best of the three Merveilles for her. One day at Neiman Marcus I showed her the other 4 and we smelled it and she told me that I did chose the best one of the 5 thank God. I still had the sample paper and rubbed it on my arm man that thing is so strong and yummy that even from the paper rubbing on my skin I smelled Elixer on my skin. I couldnt stop smelling my arm as well throughout the day. Later on I asked for an actual spray sample from the store and I actually wore it out without being worried it was targeted as a womans fragrance cause i didnt find it very feminine anyway. just yummy. The response I got the entire day was amazing. Men and woman telling me i smell so good and asking what am i wearing. Now I have to purchase this Elixer by Hermes as one of my fragrances to wear. It changes and smells more unisex and manly on my/mens skin. On my mom is smells so yummy and gentle. on me it smells the same but a bit more musky and rugged and the gourmand is not so girlishly sweet. Awesome fragrance. should have been unisex but then again Hermes house has always been known for keeping in mind a unisex approach to all their stuff. My question is this...what is the best Merveilles in your opinions? I read here that people find Eau des M masculine. The first time i smelled all of them I took Elixer as more of the fragrance that stood out to me and not so feminine. Since I love Hermes fragrances, let me know as I have the cojones to even wear the other womans fragrances from Hermes lol

greek_goddes
greek_goddes

Eau de merveilles is a nice perfume but just this, at least for my nose!
Not that masculine as most people say.

Woody- yes
Peppery /spicy-yes
Fruity (orange)- yes
Oriental- I don't think so...
Good scent but not something i would pay for.
I think my sample is enough for me.

Ps: The first perfume i found that i am allergic to.

fraushka
fraushka

Perfect. Complete. Masculine at first sniff and deeply sexy at drydown. LOVE it. My signature fragrance forever.

So many people love this perfume, and I'm so sorry that I do not. I wanted to because it's a woody perfume, and I love those so much. This opened with tons of orange. I am not a fan of strong citrus, but I thought I would give it time to settle down. For a brief period, I thought it was turning into something wonderful. The orange was evaporating, and the woods were really coming out, when *POOF* I suddenly was hit with the scent of a very common men's aftershave. All I smelled was pepper and pine. I love those notes, but not without other notes to support them. It is way too masculine for me.

C2it
C2it

This fragrance does not smell on me at all. I layered it and still it disappeared. Has anyone else had this problem?

CourtrightHer
CourtrightHer

Well, it was love at first sniff!

I was introduced to this goreous scent while selling an apartment. In the bathroom the bottle caught my attention. Hermes! Hmmm, must try. Well, after sniffing (and in my haste to put it back) it slipped out of my hand onto the marble floor! It seemed to bounce around for eternity, but no breakage!!! Oh lordy, lordy, lordy, how would have I have explained this?

It seems to travel between light and heavy. This has class for day and night wear.

While elegant, it does not lay all its cards on the table at once. It reveals itself over time.

Love the sweat orange opening. The amber then appears to keep the pepper in check. The base has a nice woodsy finish. Femme with balls! I am wear it and it gets me compliments. Might have sold a few for H! So, are you man enough to be a chick?!?

Sillage and longevity are excellent.

Did I say I love the bottle?

elfremar
elfremar

This is a gorgeous,light floral,but is a long stayer,I can smell it all day when I use it.I have used it since I first came across it,and am often asked about it.

sehaman
sehaman

Beautiful.

I don't like to wear it when it is too hot outside - but every other time of the year is perfect. (Then, I like Eau CLAIR de Marveilles.) Delicious. Creamy. Sophisticated.

It is a scent that I love to keep smelling. I have it as a hand lotion as well.It is so warm and scrumptious. Amazingly ultra-feminine without being floral. LOVE!

Melpo
Melpo

I bought it for the 1st time after a trip to the south of France, feeling it smelled like Nice. It's been my favourite ever since. IMO this is a sparkling perfume, perfect for any time of the year, except hot summer.

FFLunch
FFLunch

I bought this online to try and very much enjoy it with one huge disappointment: after 30 minutes it's totally gone; not a trace of scent left on my skin.

The kind of scent that's wonderful to spray on a pillow before turning in for the night: an intriguing and intelligent scent.

Lini Darling
Lini Darling

Mmm...

Interesting.
Interesting and reserved are the words that come to me.

Although, I rarely wear it because of its unisex appeal,
it truly is a beautiful and almost magical scent.

Very long lasting - it seems to become a part of your own chemistry! Try it, try to wash it off and you will still feel it on your body for days.

I suggest wearing this when you are feeling sexy in the most reserved way possible. :)

- Lini Darling

melodi
melodi

Mysterious , woody , elegant , dark but light and femminine..its very differente and special

Annabel Lee
Annabel Lee

On me it's a very subtle woody fragrance, what i notice the most is the smell of sweet oranges although it's not a citric aroma. I'm not sure why but it reminds me of Clinique Happy, but this one seems to me a lot more elegant and mature.

rheea oana
rheea oana

Eau de Merveilles! The story of you.
I'm a wood girl through and through and a way back a very lovely lady said why not Hermes Eau de merveilles, for the woods and orange that you search?
I crinkled my nose and moved on, only to come back last year after the Kelly Caleche<3 euphoria faded!

I don't find this like I thought I would! Meaning refreshing wood adrift on a beach salty orange! Nah! Not at all!This is also not summery at all! At all! This is all seasons all day long all night! It is not however light!Nor heavy! It's creamy! It's no typical orange or spicy fragrance! They say it has the inverted pyramid?Whatever that is?!?(eye roll)
It's like they took orange and vetiver and amber and a dash of pepper and blended it in a mixer!The creme de la creme mixed with some cedar freshness!
I said what it's not! Now for what it is: pungent, but it not repulsive pungent, it's like salty skin after a dip in the sea!

On my skin directly amber, woods and vetiver and a spicy sneezy impression! Yet it's clean, soft and airy!
It does evoke a day at the beach, a cold sunny day, windy, sea filled with algae a storm approaching static electricity in the air, a snug wooly cardigan surrounding you, wind messing in your hair sitting on a big rotten log -that kind of feel!

After I read so much about it, I was curious. But to me it's just another of these strong citrusy scents that I find almost masculine.

kellie_lill
kellie_lill

The design of the bottle is lovely.This mysterious perfume is all I need on a rainy day.Definitely one of my favourite scents.
-magic notes
-woody flavours
-oriental aromas

valens

To me is the ultimate representation of my own personality and when i say that i am referring to the unusual, mysterious, non-floral, sweetless, dark, cold, elegant scent of EAU DE MERVEILLES developing on my skin, totally different from the same EDM i sprayed on paper yesterday. So you should try it on your skin! My perception of this fragrance is not that of an optimistic expression of the woman who's life has been garnished with "merveilles", but more of the elegant, strong,mysterious, self-turned person,that knows who she is and what she wants. A STRONG(as message,not only as concentration) fragrance for the mature woman that doesn't love sweet scents or fragrances that scream sweetly loud for the needed attention.

Anup
Anup

I just received my hermes samples yesterday evening and i am INFINITELY impressed with what they have to offer. What i got from them is listed in my "selected for test" section of my page if anyone is interested to know.
I think this may have something to do with the high quality ingredients that Hermes uses, but , my boyfriend is able to deeply inhale these fragrances without even a blink. Normally fragrances send him into an asthmatic fit.

This offering reminds me of a HOT summer morning. Going outside, and smelling the boiling, evaporating dew. You pick up a warm fruit from the forbidden tree and take a greedy, toothy bite into it, the nectar dripping from your chin.
In the beginning the juicy almost crunchy orange invites you into a wispy, fly-by-night lemon accord.
As it begins to dry the calming violet and the slightly sweet, vegetal pink pepper decide that they wanna fool around with pepper for awhile. After violet and pink pepper have had their way with peppercorn, collected his juices and laid to rest, the nighttime(dry-down) air blows through their hair.
As the air blows over the two mischievous mistresses they become aware of their surroundings. They can smell the earthy moist mud pit a few yards away (vetiver), the pine trees swaying ever so slightly in the hot humid evening breeze.

I approve

Smell: 10
Longevity: 10+
Sillage: 8

odango
odango

I have been using Eau des Merveilles for two years and I completely love it. It smells woody and soapy in me. Lately I find it kind of masculine.
For some people (like me recently), this can be a bit suffocating in summer, but it's perfect for winter time.

tigerhearted
tigerhearted

Oh wow! This brought me back to Girl Scout camp :) We slept on cots under the stars. So fresh and woody!

Still very feminine, which surprised me! I thought it would be very unisex and/or masculine, but it is more on the feminine side to my nose...maybe 1/2-3/4 of the way between unisex and feminine. But I'm beginning to suspect that my body chemistry makes things more sweet than they are on most people, or maybe that my nose is more sensitive to sweet notes, so maybe it's just me.

Oddly, my husband thought it was flowery! Maybe he's picking up on the Violet? All I picked up was fresh moist woodsy notes. Reminds me of when I was at Nordstrom's with my mother-in-law and I tried the 2011 Alien Sunessence. To my nose, the jasmine was totally dominant, but all my MIL smelled was vanilla!

Totally in love with this -- I'm now so glad that I accidentally bought 2 samples from the ebay vendor when I meant to buy 1!

Silhouette_
Silhouette_

This is one weird fragrance for me. Eau des Merveilles is salty and sweet at the same time, floral and cold (am I the only one who gets the violet?) and I like it, yet it somehow doesn't quite impress me. When I try to wear it and it hits my nose during the day, my first impression is that it's not me, that I just happened to walk past one of those women who in the morning spent thirty minutes doing their make-up and another sixty straightening their hair. You know them - they always look impeccable, you can't really tell them apart and they tend to wear Eternity or Euphoria or Chanel Chance Eau Fraiche. I wouldn't liken EdM to any of these, but I would recommend it to this type of woman. You know, if I ever had a reason to speak to one.

TiaTia
TiaTia

evening after a hole day at the beach. on my skin there's still the scent of salt water. cool weather, the ocean is rough and the cliffs are shimmering, sunset.
wearing this perfume takes me back. it's like a painting of that perfect evening time ago with such realism. makes me want to go back.
though i can't, this perfume is like a photography. it evokes memories.

plumblossom
plumblossom

I really like the first citrusy notes at the beginning, very refreshing; then it becomes too masculine with the spicy notes.

stella-00
stella-00

i was reluctant to start using what i got as a present -Eau des Merveilles, was smelling for me too agressive and overpowering. but i did finish the bottle.... and got the same for my mum.... 6 years over now and i just came across it and it IS the perfume that is ME at this stage of my life... i bought all versions of it. In Eau des Merveilles version i use it day-and-night, - i love to be wrapped in the smell.... my bedding, my pillows, my clothes, hair, - all has this smell..... As some member wrote here: it simply SCREAMS hollidays, also absolute and endless happiness!!! i do not understand how people say it is NOT femenine... First, we must distinguish femenine types with this one....so, it is for a confident, self-sufficient, content, happy personality.

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

I had my hopes up for this fragrance and was preparing to write something poetic, but alas, I'm one of the few who get a very soft, linear soapy scent. My skin ate up all the woods and spice and left a very mild ambery citrus, very much like soft liquid sunshine with a floral nuance. I can't think of anything but J&J baby shampoo (which I quite like), but it's nothing like what I was hoping for. I might try it again when the weather is different to see if it's more than skin chemistry that affected my experience.

LaPetite
LaPetite

I'm very sad about this scent , i'm testing right now , sprayed myself a few minutes ago , and it's already all gone !(just like CK's "Beauty") :-( Maybe it is just me , my nose , which is not receptive to it :-((
It's very amberish scent, but in a very faint way , which makes it a everyday scent .
I have to try the elixir version, maybe it will be better for me !

vaiduakhu

I wear this fragrance both on the coldest days and the hottest days in a year.

On the cold days, it's soft, warm, caressing and the woodsy notes are very prominent. I love woody fragrances. They make me feel strong, bold and stable. This fragrance is like an intimate & assuring hug in the winter.

On the sunny days, it's like a summer breeze: delicate, salty & sandy like walking with bare feet on the beach in the early morning. Sometimes I even smell some delicate floral notes. It works very well with the heat and humidity. I find it last even longer in the hot days.

Don't let the strong orange peel smell turn you off from the start. It isn't masculine as many others have stated. Wait for the dry down, you'll find a very refined and feminine fragrance.

Louw
Louw

This is quite fresh and sparkly on application then it dries down to a strongly woody base. The top notes are very orangey - it reminds me a little of Clinique Happy at the start - and just too orangey for my taste. I also find it a little masculine, which might be to do with the woody base notes.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

OK, I wasn't very kind to this perfume in my first review, because I wrote my instant impression, but tired and mildly annoyed in an airport duty free is not the best place for a critique. So I'll do a proper review now. :)
As advertised, there is really nothing floral about this perfume, which is quite interesting. When I think about this perfume my thoughts are of orange and amber. The opening is a flood of citrus, with a biting pepper. It is very strong, so go easy on it. The amber makes it heavier, gives it more depth and softens it considerably. The oakmoss and violet to me make the base musty,and lessen the nice middle stage of this fragrance. I think Tonka or honey at the base would have made this perfume better, more pleasant all round. But this is a warm fragrance, probably given this and it's strength best for the winter months when it can be like liquid sunshine. But personally if I wanted an orange fragrance I would go for Marc Jacobs Orange Splash or a more floral Jo Malone Orange Blossom. I give this one 2.5-3 out of 5.

silvychiwawa
silvychiwawa

I had a wiff of this beautiful scent yestesday on a woman who walked by me. I had to stop her and ask her what she was wearing!!! I have been looking for a new scent for awhile now. Please, please someone tell me where in the Montreal area I can get this amazing scent? I would like to try it to see if it suits me. Do they sell it at The Bay or Sears??

ChouliGaloria
ChouliGaloria

This morning I finished up a small 1 oz. bottle of the Hermes Eau de Merveilles. It is a good fragrance. It does not smell like anything else, that my nose has experienced before. The scent, to me, is like a cedar chested filled with a bag of oranges, a bit of woods and woody elements like a fir trees branches along with some peppercorns thrown in. There is also some sweetness, like amber sweetness. This fragrance is good in the warm weather and when one sweats, i.e. like at the gym, and is not overpowering. I would also say this is a very unisex fragrance and great for all. This perfume does smell medicinal from the bottle but it turns into a pleasant smelling perfume on the body. Similar to an expensive aftershave for men that woment would also enjoy. That's it.

Barbie2
Barbie2

I think it's a nice fragrance but I would not buy it. I had a sample and on my skin it is so soft that I can hardly smell anything. Though the fragrance is really nice, a very soft spicy - orangy fragrance, powdery as well. I do like perfumes that are soft, but this is really too soft!

rinz09
rinz09

I absolutely love this scent! It's salty, peppery, powdery, and smokey. It reminds me of a cold grey day. I feel very feminine when I wear it, but not the girly-kind of feminine. I feel elegant.

Siv55
Siv55

Tried a tester in the shop, loved it and made my mum bring me some back duty free when she went on holiday. Then I didn't like. I wondered what on earth I'd seen in it. I thought it was somehow saltish and very orangey. What happened to that?? My own bottle was just woods woods woods like a masculine scent. Sometimes my nose does funny things.. I sort of like this again now, but only went it's dried down and got softer and isn't hitting me over the head, plank by woody plank.

rosabell
rosabell

I tried this yesterday one more time, in the idea to give it a new try. Nice bottle and great name...Here the good part stops...The juice smells just like a man's cologne. It might be good but it is definitely for a man. I wouldn't wear it...So,the 4th time a tried it confirmed to me try #1,#2,#3...Obviously, it will never be a #5 try.

LADYELLE
LADYELLE

This is a very strong fragrance for fall/winter day time use or too some it will be night time also. It is an orangy strong fragrance which I do not wear that much because of the strong orange scent. It can be for a teenager...
However, the body perfume cream which I really love to wear with differnt fragrances; the orange scented body cream is wonderful smell

Eventually I could like and even love this scent!
I don't know why I didn't like it before. Hermes fragrances are so unsual and sophisticated! I like them all, but for some reason they always clash badly with my chemistry. So bad. I love Caleche and can't even wear it. Today I wanted to give another chance to Eau des Merveilles (EdT) after a bad encounter when it came out and boom! I found a lovely, uplifting, spicy and zesty scent with a warm sunny edge, very feminine but not frilly. It's an elegant scent, but also quite witty to be easygoing and not putting distances. It smells different, lively with class. The orange smell is very strong in the opening, then I smell spices and pepper, luckily not too much pepper and the smooth aromatic woody drydown is to die for!
It smells softly empowering and conforting like a soft wrap around your shoulder when the weather is cold and you need some cuddling. Anyway I would say it's only for winter. It's a perfume that also a man could wear and feel at ease. I'm not planning to buy FB now, but I highly suggest to try it on your skin when you have the chance. Staying power is good, sillage is average.

Scarlet.Anemone
Scarlet.Anemone

LOL! Annelien1987, u already said that for me! Yeah, I agree it smells like vomit sometimes. I have the same thought when I over apply this scent (on my skin, clothes). But I adore this baby too much, I don't really care that 'vomit' smell.

3 words I can describe EDM:-
unusual - mysterious - uplifting.

Oh, the floral notes here are not that flowery (for the violet). In fact I don't smell any FLORAL notes at all. So guys, don't worry. This is not for a lady who wants to seduce others with sweet or beautiful smell of flowers. Think orangey-woody-slightly peppery. U will get what I mean.

On my skin EDM starts off with a blast of citrusy note, but not in a cheap or sickening way like other citrus fragrance. Perhaps because of pepper, it makes the orangey scent come out with more attitude. After 10-15 minutes, I notice this amber-ish scent will start to linger around. And finally, the base part which I love the most! The vetiver, oakmoss and cedar kind of giving me this comfy-refreshing feelings. Even after long hours, the zesty scent will not be so obvious anymore but it's still there quietly sitting on a log of cedar wood.

Sillage: Good (unless you want to be noticed as walking pepper-sprinkled jumbo orange here).
Longevity: Good (I noticed citrus fragrance always have BAD longevity but EDM is quite decent)

I think EDM is unisex, anyone can use it including male. Since this is an unusual stuff you must have some (or lots!) of patience to know EDM. Give chance to yourself, allow EDM to be introduced in a slow and gentle manner. It's really different than other fragrances which Ive tried before, and that's the interesting part of it. EDM should be okay during summer or warm weather. Or everyday scent, office, casual purpose. For winter or colder season you might want to try Elixir version which is more heavy on amber together with incense, resin and Peru balsam. The orangey scent is still there, but not as much as EDM which is lighter and more lively. It's like a playful kitten and grown up cat if I want to make a comparison for that. I mean EDM is like a kitten, and Elixir is the old/grown up cat. Hehe! :-D

I'm thinking to layer this with any orange/citrus lotion or body cream (Bath and Body works maybe?) to see different result. Use some creativity, mix any scent that you like. Different skin and chemistry Im talking about here. You never know what you will get ;-)

Personally I prefer EDM than Elixir. Being a person who always wear strong/heavy fragrance, EDM is my choice when I want something light & orangey with a kick of woody oriental touch. It's refreshing, yet the dark and mysterious side still unrevealed.

Eau des Merveilles kept me intrigued for years as I could never manage to find a tester bottle. I worked this fragrance up in my mind to be something utterly spectacular, a masterpiece and a modern classic. Well, I like this fragrance, I really do, but it's not something that struck me down like lightning.

It's essentially dry, warm and strangely crisp, lemon and orange on a woodsy and peppery base. Very unusual I must say, but also something that relies on the right skin chemistry to make it work.

I'd love to layer this scent over another fragrance, because on its own I feel like it's missing something. It reminds me of the beach and scorching hot Summer weather, yet I crave a subtle hint of floral notes or a touch of sweetness to make it that little more complex and feminine.

I can certainly understand why men would want to wear this. Honestly, it has a very unisex feel. Whenever I smell Eau des Merveilles I am impressed, but I can't help wishing that this fragrance was a little more outrageous. The bottle makes me think of the solar system, a world so different from our own and I guess I wanted Eau des Merveilles to reflect that.

The sillage is quite good, yet nowhere near being a heavy hitter. I'm rather glad because the peppery orange on its own is a little harsh in its already rather subtle concentration. The longevity is so-so, not incredibly long lasting but sufficient to say the least.

All in all, Eau des Merveilles is certainly unique and one of a kind. The dryness and saltiness in this fragrance is quite lovable, however my only issue is that it tends to be more masculine than feminine to my nose.

vaiduakhu

Normally, the orange keeps running away from me. I can only smell the orange when opening the box. But today, I'm a little sick and right after spraying, I can smell the heavy orange here.

judies6
judies6

The composition of this fragrance is unique. It is almost impossible for me to pick out any one note since when I wear it it creates its own unique scent. The best description is that it is feminine without the floral or the gourmand, and very sophisticated in nature. Nothing cute , nothing pretty in the typical sense, but the sexual aura of a confident woman.

lillelilly
lillelilly

I smelled this scent on a friend of mine in a summer morning. I loved it! Kinda thought that was unisex because was fresh, citric or green, cannot remember it that well.. She told me that was a present and that at first "spray" she didn't like it (too deep, hard or grandma-ish), but when it dries down smells amazingly fresh and she loved it. Me too. It's quite special but if you can pull it of it's a unique scent.

Goldfinch
Goldfinch

I don't dislike this fume, but I couldn't wear it. I agree it's a bit masculine, perhaps not in a disturbing way, but not my cup of tea. It reminds me of Xmas: I feel orange, spices and fir, too. It has a great sillage and is long-lasting, too. I gave my sample to my mother-in-law, 'cause she likes unisex scents. If you like unisex, spicy scents, too, recommended.

silverbutterfly
silverbutterfly

I been meaning to buy this perfume since it launched. I kept thinking of if,till I bought it. I still like it, as it remind me Christmas time,and give good mood for all seasons. Orange,wood and chocolate-that is what it is for me. I like Elixir better as it stronger,but it was more expensive, and as for Eau Des Merveilles, it is not as strong,or may be that shop dude just gave me a knock off?

sofiii
sofiii

Eau des Merveilles’s uplifting sweet citrusy, orange opening make me instantly want it badly. Even though I’m not a citrusy fan, the top notes in Eau des Merveilles somehow reminds me a little bit of lemon washing detergent(in a good way), but it is so gorgeously well blended and it smells quite elegantly expensive.

Soon the fresh optimistic opening’s gone, it smells really dry sweet, warm, and spicy. It makes me think about some kind of orange peel jerky I had once or twice. It’s deliciously innocent. It doesn’t have any of the conversional big, bold, sweet, loud attractive sexy appeal, but to me, Eau des Merveilles is the effortless confident chick girl who makes you feel comfortable to talk with, which is the ultimate sexy to me in a daily content.

It is quite linear, and it goes softer rounder and slightly soapy (but totally different from the traditional baby-powder infused soapiness) towards the dry down.

I would recommend Eau des Merveilles to anyone! However, personally I love Elixir des Merveilles more because Eau des Merveilles has a little bit more freshness, and the bubbly orange smell sometimes in a colder weather smell kinda aquatic (in a good way, not the sports aquatic perfume way) to me, and unfortunately I am not a fan of aquatic perfumes.
If you like something fresher, choose Eau des Merveilles, and if you love something drier and evokes more winter memories, pick the Elixir version.

Eleiria
Eleiria

I feel like this perfume was meant for me - even our names are similar (mine's Merve), it has an air of an elixir and thus, touches my soft spot of adoring anything related to fantastic fiction. But I just cannot get used to it as much as I wanted. Its unique upside down notes make it even more magical yet somehow something stops me from buying it. I think it smells bit too much masculine on me. I like its spicy quality because it's not suffocating; it is very classy and rich. Maybe I'm just not ready for it yet. I'll keep on trying it every other year til I fell in love with it

awry_diamond
awry_diamond

EdM was my first blind purchase, and also my first Hermes perfume. I must say this scent more than exceeded my expectations!

After falling for a sample of Terre, I wanted to find a similar but slightly more feminine scent to start wearing everyday. A few people mentioned EdM as an option, and I was drawn in by the reviews on Fragrantica, so I took the plunge and decided to buy it online without sampling because it just sounded so 'me'.

I must say, I'm not sure I agree with the comparisons to Terre. Whereas the smell of the cologne was earthy and woody in a very dark way on my skin, EdM is much brighter and complex. I don't get much of the orange note from this, though there's still a hint of citrus. On me, EdM smells earthy and bright, salty and slightly musky in a way that stays very close to my skin. I would say that the descriptions of sea, sand, and skin are not far off at all.

Even though EdM was love at first whiff, I did have to work my way up to wear it everyday. I bought it in the thick of summer and in the heat, I found the scent to be unabashedly sultry on my skin, especially in contrary to my old signature scent (Kenzo Flower Oriental). Once I got used this though, I haven't looked back, and I can't imagine wearing anything else on a regular basis.

My girlfriend absolutely loves the way this smells on me and I can't blame her, it's gorgeous and sexy, sexy, sexy!

Bottom line: I can see how this scent might be difficult for some to wear, but if it suits your body chemistry you're in for a real treat. Highly recommended for those looking for a unique signature scent with real staying power.

Hermes EAU DES MERVEILLES is a bright orange burst of sunshine and joie de vivre. For me, this a daytime, hot weather, feel-good fragrance. The drydown is woody and smooth, but the opening is as citrusy aromatic as they come, which makes this seem at least unisex if not leaning toward the masculine side.

While the opening reminds me of ORANGE VERTE, the tone and overall demeanor of the drydown of EAU DES MERVEILLES puts it in the same general vicinity on the grand olfactory map as the members of the JARDIN series.

EAU DES MERVEILLES is so clean and fresh and spare, that it would be a great daytime fragrance to follow with ELIXIR DES MERVEILLES at sunset for more depth and sumptuosity. I love Hermes!

mohmd.taha
mohmd.taha

I cant describe how i loved this fragrance ,i love every thing about it box,bottle,aroma ,every thing .This is in my opinion the best peppery orange fragrance ever made .Absolutely amazing , to me its very masculine fragrance its a type of fragrance that uplift your mood to the highst level .THIS IS DEFINETLY MY NEW TOP FRAGRANCE

gypsykitten
gypsykitten

The first time I wore this, it reminded me of childhood days at the beach, playing in clean wet sand, and just having my face wiped with a wet nap. I thought it was nice, but I didn't think I would grow to love it as I have. The citrus is not too prominent on my skin and all of the notes are very well balanced. I love the fir in this! I can wear this when it is extremely hot or humid and even when I am not feeling well and no other perfume will do. I find myself reaching for this a lot more than I expected. I will always keep some in my collection.

Cereza
Cereza

Mmm, this is very, very lovely. It opens with citruses which I do not like in many perfumes, but in Eau des Merveilles the citrus note is so sparkling and natural, not like air freshener like sometimes seen in other perfumes. Then it changes to lovely, delicate and fresh flowers, especially my loved violet. And then the drydown. The fir makes it a little bit masculine, but in a very nice way. For me the drydown is little bit metallic as well. Really nice.

Yamba1
Yamba1

Reading all the woody, spicy notes you could easily think this was an overpowering oriental but when Eau des Merveilles opens on the skin it gives me an instant lift. This scent sparkles with a freshness that can best be achieved in the absence of forals. Although violet is mentioned as a note, it is not prominent to my nose. What is prominent though, is the wonderful woody drydown that softens into the most irresistible scent. I keep taking sneek sniffs of my wrist throughout the day and have had lots of compliments!
I agree with other reviewers who say it could be unisex. This would be ideal for summer or office wear for someone who wants wear a unique and expensive smelling fragrance.

anaaranha
anaaranha

It's not a feminin scent to me, although softer than the Elixir de Merveilles. I don't enjoy to much when I use this one, because it's really different, strange, with no mildness in it, and that I don't like in perfumes, at all. Maybe it's the peppers and cedar in it.

Perfumes must make me feel feminine (even the ones made for men), or chic, or romantic, or pretty or powerfull or all those things toguether. Eau des Merveille and Elixir the Merveilles don't.

Désirée
Désirée

This perfume is so strange; the first time I tried it I found it very masculine. I didn't give it a chance to settle and grow on my skin. But at my second test, I strangely fall in love with it. Some reviewers said that it is an "upside-down" fragrance and I see what they mean by that: It starts sharp, salty and fresh but than it settles as a wonderful soft skin scent and it keeps the Freshness of the oranges. At the end, I get the amber and I smell the fir note which is still fresh(!) and so beautiful. They also say that it is a "salty" fragrance but on me, it is almost sweet.

It is lovely in the summer; I know so many people who dislike perfume in the summer but not this one. This is not disturbing in humidity, it stays close to the skin but also you get the wind of it time to time.

I love using perfumes and I want smell beautiful even though it is 40 degrees outside. So if you are like me and looking for something different than the watery fragrances this is a must-try.

I should also add, this will surprise you because it is very very long lasting. Definitely worth every penny..

Aroussa

Sex appeal content is too low in the below recipe :-) Probably due to all those pieces of sun-dried wood. Too masculine for my taste - although objectively, a sophisticated, unique and expensive-smelling fragrance indeed!

polka
polka

Ladies & gents, today we are presenting one of the best recipies of Hermes’ fusion cuisine.

Ingredients:
a few pieces of aromatic, sun-dried wood
a couple of handfuls of orange peel
a pinch of salt
a pinch of pepper

Directions:
Blend all ingredients thoroughly. Squeeze. Add few drops of water. Bottle.

Nutrition facts:
Sophistication – 90g, elegance – 75g, self-confidence – 70g, sex-appeal – 60g.

If you’re hungry for something dry, refined, extraordinary, unusual – it is a must-have for you!

_lolita_
_lolita_

I have a very ambivalent relationship with EdM.
On one hand I love the smell of it, on the other hand I don´t like it as a perfume on me.
My skin brings out the woody notes so strong, that I end up smelling like a campfire in a log hut.
Although I normally enjoy woody scents and they work well with my chemistry, EdM gives me an ligneous overdose.
Still I do like the odour itself.
I´d love to spray it on my furniture to add a "natural bosky" feeling to my living room, but using this as an air freshener would seem a little too decadent, even to me. ;o)

mary jane
mary jane

Get so many compliments that I HAVE to wear it! The verb have doesnt indicate how beautiful this perfume is though! Its strong, long lasting and sharp but not irritating! Its sexy, deep, mysterious but fresh and awakening! Its elegant but aggressive! A marvellous compromise of contradictions I dare say, Eau des Merveilles <3

elusivek
elusivek

Oh my is this one nice! Starts out as almost too strong citrus & cedar but mellows beautifully. Just before the floral was out of balance, the smooth, sexy, but unisex base intoxicates you. It's interesting because it almost seems as though there are distinct accords that aren't going to blend well but when they do, it's so subtle you don't realize it til you've been captivated.

Annica
Annica

I can honestly say that if I had not read the reviews, I had not discovered this lovely fragrance.
If you like oriental fragrances with dry woods, pepper, orangepeel and gorgeous amber,this is for you. I love this fragrance. Wonderful drydown and sillage. Stays very close to the skin and lasts almost a whole day.

sfonativeboy
sfonativeboy

I'm in a mood to spray something on that I haven't worn in awhile...
This fragrance I bought in the in-flight shop on Air-France and forgot all about it ..
believe it or not still in its plastic wrapper ....

I really favor this fragrance
Very Manly ....if there is a flower note
it's very hidden ...
Oranges... !
Warm and Spicy (I really get the Pepper both Pink and Black)
Woodsy (Ceder and Fir notes dominate)...fragrance...

Like discovering a charming Keepsake Box ... in a fancy antique shop..
What a great liitle find!

Mado Haddad
Mado Haddad

I like this one a lot because it's so unique & unusual. Sexy in its own way.
In my opinion, it's not "elegant", or "sparkling" sexy. It's more of EXOTIC sexy!...
Reminds me so much of the smell of Sea & sand on my skin in the Summer. Which is sexy enough for me :)

I'm happy I have this in my collection. Not only because it smells nice, but also because it's different from most of the perfumes I own.
1- I'm usually attracted to feminine scents. This is not feminine... not musculine though- I guess it's unisex.
2- I usually like floral/ fruity scents & this is far from both.

I think most people like it for the way it's unique.

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

Very, very occasionally when I smell a perfume I think - wow, I never need to sniff another perfume again! Of course this only lasts as long as it takes to get to the perfume counter at Myers. But this is one of those scents.

It has a strong sharp opening but this fades fast. Close to the skin, I smell a hint of citrus through the heart, along with pepper and lots of smoky incense woods. As I am typing I can smell a soft, clean, exquisite scent wafting up to my nose. Sigh.

Overall, it comes across as smooth, finely crafted, expensive, sexy & alluring.

I am so excited to have finally found a woodsy perfume which suits me!!!

omixochitl
omixochitl

I absolutely love how this fragrance achieves to be feminine but without any sweet notes. It's salty and ambery on my skin but also refreshing. It smells luxurious and expensive, very Hermès. One of my favorite fragrances. The first time I tried it, I thought: this is perhaps what Heaven smells like.

Good longevity and sillage.

willowtreesimplicity
willowtreesimplicity

I think the opening is very feminine. Soft. Sexy. However, the middle and base notes slowly start smelling masculine. Salty. Musk.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

I was excited about trying this EdT because I had read that it had an ambergris note. It starts off sharp, woody, and herbal with cedar, evergreen leaves, and a tiny hint of something that almost smells like tarragon and/or sage. The pepper is definitely there at first, as is the vetiver. I would have classified this as a “masculine” scent, but I like the fact that Hermes has broken out of the marketing stereotype and classified it as a “feminine” one.

As it dries down, the peppery note becomes more prominent for a while, along with what I suppose is an “ambergris accord”. The drydown is a strong perfumey scent that I remember distinctly from some of my mother’s perfumes. It’s not the same salty, slightly animalic scent that I’ve detected in a few other perfumes that were supposed to contain ambergris, but I think it’s probably the idealized version of what it’s supposed to smell like.

I like E d M in low concentrations, but it needs to be applied with a steady hand and a reliable sprayer. To me it’s extremely strong, with plenty of sillage, and it lasts and lasts. I applied one tiny spray and can still smell the basenotes strongly on my clothing more than 24 hours later.

lialu
lialu

Ligth, lovely and a bit mysterious. A little too "watery" for me, but still a great fragrance.

JasmineNutmeg
JasmineNutmeg

This is light and citrusy....not dark and aggressive at all. Like a spring day, and kept getting richer and warmer after an hour on my skin. Cannot imagine it being unisex, it dries down very femininely... I just purchased it on-line blindly, then tried it on at Nordstroms.

Aroussa

Just tested if for the first time, and am quite perplexed: it IS very strange and unusual... I do not like the unisex kind of scents but this definitely has something in it. Definitely worth another test to determine if I like it, and if I can wear it. Intriguing!

danimcneil
danimcneil

EDM is a tough one for me. A while back, I wrote a review about lamcome's hypnose saying that I didn't exactly understand it. Still to this day I can't understand hypnose, nor do I understand EDM. Both scents smell slightly similar to me by the way. Now on to EDM. At first spray I smell bitter bitter orange which is quite fresh...then comes a very dry cocoa/woody thing going on. And what remains for me frm this point is a citric metal scent. Not a bad scent, actually very interesting, but not something by senses can wrap themselves around and understand. I know..weird and frustrating! The scent is light on me, but long lasting. I hope to one day be able to understand this complex and wonderful one!

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

Eau de Merveilles has the same effect on my nose as a shot of bourbon and a wedge of a Meyer lemon would have on my tongue, at an oceanfront bar relaxing as the sun sets. It's not an everyday kind of fragrance for me-very special and even somewhat difficult, as it doesn't settle completely with my olfactory repertoire-so as great as it smells, it feels strange to smell this way...
So woody but not overly dry, tart but slightly sweet, delicately bitter and just slightly salty-intensely different, but not intense-although very very woody not as woody as a lumberyard, not too herbal, sweet, salty, or sour, and definitely not flowery-so amazing, and why is such an exotic (in the fullest meaning of the word)perfume so hard to just sink into and allow to become part of my being?
Even if I don't decide to make it my own, I love it.

hollycat
hollycat

Oh Im so glad this worked out. this was my first blind buy and my intuition told me this would be perfect for me. Well it is. So perfect. Its a soft woody amber thats feminine without being flowery. Is so unique. I know many had said it was dry and a bit unisex however on me it has a touch of sweetness and I wouldnt call it unisex. Its so sexy. Me Happy!

mr63
mr63

One of the most unusial parfums i've ever had.
It was not easy to feel it fully and to see its natural beauty, it took me more than 1 year! but now i adore it! i feel citrus mandarines, sweet gentle amber and a bit of cedar. best for leather clothes. Very gentle, wonderful!

Natalya
Natalya

OK,I would describe this scent as mandarins in a wooden box sprinkled with pepper on top.Very interesting,but not for me.

floriana
floriana

The one of the most wonderful
fragrance composition. So pleasant and comfortartable, wearable in every occasion. For day and night. Ethereal, sparkling, clear, verry good balanced.
Simply - beautiful.

Happyme2009
Happyme2009

So wonderful! A definite upside down fragrance, the opening notes are a bit too rough for my nose, but within 5 minutes it warms to an undeniable femininity and charm. The longer it sits the better it smells, without being overpowering; in fact, I wish it was stronger, I don't find it strong or with good silage, but so lovely and different I cannot help myself but sniff my wrist over and over again. It smells like beach and sun and turqoise ocean, like love and innocence... a very slight resemblance to Kelly Caleche doesn't take away from its personality, but rather enhances it. It's a very "positive" perfume, very happy! I just adore it! lucky me, considering I bought it untried, just because I loved the name and the bottle!

clairdelune
clairdelune

Being an Hermes fan I was really excited to try Eau des Merveilles. Due to my familiarity with other Hermes frags, I was totally unprepared for this totally novel offering.
To me this is a very dry and absolutely unisex frag. It's warm and interesting but also, even with light application, strong to the point of being almost intrusive.
It's staying power is unparalleled and though I can appreciate and respect it for its uniqueness and artistry, I personally don't find it wearable.
I would definitely recommend this one to women who want a scent with no flowers or sweetness, who love woody scents (namely oak) and who need a frag to last well from dawn to dusk, or longer.
I'd equally recommend it to men looking for those same qualities.

marysasmiro
marysasmiro

I am already using the 2nd bottle now. This fragrance is really "me". I love the fact that it is so unique and people recognize and remember me by this perfume. It is strong, spicy but yet so feminine and sexy in an elegant way. You feel like a confidence unique person when you wear this. It truly enchance my mood everytime I wear this.Some special people even remember me everytime they smell this perfume.

poppy_vanderbilt
poppy_vanderbilt

One of my favorites! an incredible fragrance...In the beginning i get a little of the pepper and citrus with some smooth mellow amber and just a touch of delicate tobacco but then it immediately melts into my skin like butter...it beautifully developes into a scent of warm sensual bare skin..i don't detect any of the pepper or citrus in the drydown i think because it is so well made all the notes just blend together harmoniously without overpowering the others...it reminds me of a cologne my Father use to wear i just don't know what it was...I think this would be terrific on men as well ..don't know why it is not Unisex...yes it is great on women but guys you need to try this also for the ladies or men in your lives....EXELLENT FRAGRANCE that should be a classic.

Amanda79
Amanda79

Hermes-Eau des Merveilles starts out with a bang of herbal orange, bitter spice and peculiar dry woods. Merveilles magic REALLY begins as the minutes pass by and the scent gets better and better as the day progresses. Merveilles looses no strength or silage but rather morphs itself through all the layers. The fragrance melts into the skin with caressing hugs of what I smell as fresh orange peel, rice, honey, maple syrup, hot amber and driftwood. It seems to warm up and strengthen with body heat. The sand is present throughout meshing perfectly with the natural smell of skin and the other notes.

Eau des Merveilles is flawlessly balanced by all the elements providing it to wear well in any season and by men or women. I strongly believe this perfume is majorly affected by body chemistry and different climate temperatures bringing out different results for each person. On me it is quite feminine, powdery (floral?) and warm fragrance.

I feel lucky to have this perfume in my collection. The bottle represents the smell fantastically. This is possibly the most unique scent and have quickly fallen in love with it!

valdano
valdano

I do believe it...
This smell is UNUSUAL!
this is an awareness to those HERMES'SAINCE

Strong but bit citrus scent!
I don't really like it, I almost adore it if they don't put the bitterness above the high!

But overall, Hermes is still Hermes...This also got a signature of its scent!

faith24
faith24

The most unusual scent that I ever had a chance to smell. An exquisite composition that sounds unattractive on a paper strip but so intriguing on a human skin or when sprayed in the air (but please dont waste it like that!).

The bottle is almost poetic and deserves a separate review on its own. It reflects the contents so correctly- a balance that is so fragile, grey-silver sparkles on a glass remind of salty water drops, and bottom is slightly orange but not too bright- this orange is quite understated as if the sun is just rising on the horizon, just a first ray of sun, just an expectation rather than a presence.

Have I described the bottle or the water of miracles? The composition of this scent is backwards- what normally constitutes top notes in a perfume ends as a base, but the result is very merveilles. Top notes to me are salty but not too much, almost like a wind blowing from the ocean side, bringing mysterious scents of the salty water and some underwater plants maybe; ambra makes almost animalistic statement. Further I sense some wood but this wood is wet, soaked into salty ocean water. All these scents are very light, as if you smell them while walking on the beach, close but not too close- these scents are almost an afterthought, a distant memory. The base is a complete surprise- sunny orange peel, very delicate, never sharp, a very childhood scent, as if you just ate an orange and now you have some sweet residue on your hands.
I have never smelled a fragrance so sentimental and delicate and yet it has such a strong point! Marvelous water indeed

zoka
zoka

This is most probably not unisex fragrance but anyway I enjoy wearing it. I love citruses and whole composition is very nice and I like dry-down I find vetiver that is what makes it a bit masculine.

amelie
amelie

Feel the smell of fine tobacco, sensual and warm and yet so fresh and elegant fragrance. Excellent base notes in a scent; cedar, moss and vetiver that I really like, I thought it could also be good on the male skin. Reminds me of the late afternoon by the sea and the smell of pine trees. Round bottle is so sophisticated.

memechose
memechose

EVERYONE LOVES EAU des MERVEILLES IN THESE COMMENTS. what an amazing tribute...

Please read the interview with its creator Mr. Ralf Schweiger

when you comment, you let these artists know how much you appreciate their fragrance .

Every perfumer we interview shares theri life and vision with us.it is a great gift to us as readers and lovers of fragrance.

Patti9
Patti9

This is the perfect every day scent. Light, orangey, out-doorsy but with sophistitcated undertones of wood smoke and barley sugar. Fascinating and never boring.

dyen
dyen

I smelt this on a tester strip and my first reaction was "yuck, yuck, yuck - what fool would wear that?". But all that day and the next I kept coming back to it like a woman obsessed. Eventually went back to the store and tried it on my wrist and ......WOW. I ended up buying a bottle online but kept popping into the store and spritzing every day during the week I was waiting on the delivery - I had no shame! The salty, peppery, softly woody, classy orangey cleanliness of it all amazes me. I LOVE it. Top marks. It makes me stupidly happy and serene.

Robert White
Robert White

Yes, this makes a good masculine. It's the DRIEST orange perfume I've ever smelled...reminds me of an Indian treat I had once, a very ripe sliced orange coated with chili pepper.Lasts a long time...I sprayed a little on my arm last night and there's still a trace today!

mypersonalharmonics
mypersonalharmonics

This is a well deserved triumphant review.I think that Eau de Merveilles is by far the best launch of recent perfumemaking times.
It feels like a collective memory trip around our planet.Indonesian pepper,Peruvian balsam,Italian lemon,the wonderful oceanic grey amber lift you up above to see the Earth's Truth.

Round,euphoric,balanced,perfect.

This is not a perfume of the senses but an illusive concept that is mastefully captured and materialised for us to experience.

BethAshley
BethAshley

I was lucky enough to win this fragrance about a month or two ago (thank you fragrantica!).

The bottle for EDM fits the juice perfectly. It looks like a little sun that fits in the palm of your hand. This is a happy, uncomplicated but unusual scent. For me it has a laid-back chic quality to it that is casual but effortlessly stylish.

On me the most dominant notes are the the wood, musk and salt.

allexa27
allexa27

It is very interesting frag.The fir an the citruses dominate on my skin,.Very well done,it changes all the time.I dont find it masculine at all.

ktv0926
ktv0926

My preferences seem to change a lot lately - I used to "not understand" this kind of fragrances, and now - I love them!

I find Eau des Merveilles very masculine, peppery and woody. It is strong and confident, but somehow its masculine nature only emphasizes femininity. It's like wearing loose clothes if you are very thin, will only point out how thin you are. I hope this comparison explains my point.

Anyway, I love it! It is not for any occasion, any mood or any outfit. It is something special that you treat yourself rarely.

verity
verity

I ignored this scent in the fragrance halls forever as it never appealed to me. The tester strips put me off, however I smelled this on a colleague and couldnt believe it when she said it was EDM. It smelled completely different on the skin when I eventually tried it. I fell in love. I like Amber very much, and I really get the Ambergris from this. I dont know what salt smells of personally so I dont get that comparison, nor does it smell masculine to me either, yet it does have peppery spicyness which maybe pertains to a less feminine edge than say a fruity floral. A mixture of sultry, warm and sparkly, yet fresh and sexy with a hint of sweet woodyness. I don't much like strong orange notes, but here, this is blended so well, it is in perfect harmony so I dont feel like an orange soda pop. All in all this is a classy, sexy and sophisticated scent, perfect for day, but doesn't last as long as I would like. The elixir is better for that. The bottle is very pretty too and I like that the cap is secure.

I want to like this one.the first time that I smelled it and I found it almost masculine,I thought maybe I was wrong.so I gave it a second try.
unfortunately the same result came to my nose.it's full of citrus scent,but not a fresh citrus I've seen in so many fragrances.it's a warm citrus scent with strong backups of spices.
it's very masculine,specially the dry down is a pure masculine fragrance.bitter,woody and pine scent...I believe it should consider unisex.

Zocha
Zocha

It is funny how true all the reviews here are, the positive and negative. I adore its every stage, so beautiful. I get warm and sweet of orange blossom, gorgeous and feminine scent - my best Hermes and one of the best fragrances I have.
I don't have enough of it and will be buying the Intense version for sure.
On my girlfriend though it's nothing even close to the beauty I get, she gets bold masculine version, but not in a good way :(
We both have learned that Hermes fragrances have to be tested before buying, they are so different on each person.

susieqrj
susieqrj

The smell is fabulous, but between Eau and Elixir, I prefer the second.
Delicious orange pepper, it could be easily nominated as unissex. I don´t feel it as a male fragrance but it is obvious far from the traditional female notes on a perfume.
This perfume gives me a good sensation, it´s smell is perfect, keeps me smelling myself al the time.
As an EDT, the lasting is ok (after 9hrs it disappeared).
The bottle is gorgeous.

mellybee
mellybee

It reminds me of the moment when you're diving into a luxurious bubble bath, which gives off a herbal fresh scent, the bathroom is full of steam and you can smell your clean wet skin. Wonderful!

wallflower
wallflower

for me it was love at first sniff. it's such a unique, individual and sophisticated smell! when you wear it, you feel like a classy, chic and intelligent french lady!:)
i love this perfume not only coz orange and amber are one of my favourite notes but because the scent is so interesting and controversial: warm, but cool, strong, but subtle, sparkling, but calm, ethereal, yet down-to-earth. i could go on raving, go smell it yourself and you will know what i'm talking about.

alicektn
alicektn

This blend feels like a part of me, like memories that escaped and transformed into liquid. Memories from old summers coming to an end, tranquil early autumn walks by the -still hot- mediterranean sea... Sunny and bright with a touch of sweet melancholy.

When I wear it , I sense an interesting mix of mouthwatering orange peel, earthy pine trees and a little bit of sweet smelling incense. There is also a hint of very well blended amber. Usually amber gets too intense on my skin, but this time it feels just right. It dries down into a lovely skinscent, smelling exactly like the combination of sunscreen & sea & sun.

Works best with my chemistry in cold weather, although every time I wear it I think it agrees more and more with me. I am looking forward giving it a try again in summertime!

da_markos
da_markos

wow!

it smells like: sun+beach+sea+sunscreen on beautiful girl's skin. i really enjoy this scent.

by the way for me it should be unisex

rebella
rebella

This isn´t really a positive rewiev. Having some expectations on it, since I love Ambre Narguillé and also Kelly Caleshe from Hermés. But this one is nothing like them.

I suspect my skinchemistry dosn´t match this perfume at all. On me it is first of all very masculine and that is OK, but after a while it start getting dusty and kind of old smelling. I imagine some kind of forgotten and dusty old bottle of perfume found at the attic of an old and deceased relative. A bottle you only keep of nostalgic reason...

oakmoss
oakmoss

I'm so sorry that I've posted that this scent was so terrible. Today I went to Hermes counter and sniffed it again. I founded it was nice. But nothing feminine. I think it is a unisex scent. And I must did some mistake when I sniffed it at duty free.

alina terec
alina terec

it's a strong rather masculine scent that lasts quite a long time. good for elegant bussines women. fit for day and evening wear. should be applied directly on the skin for a sensual touch, it developes a very unusual blend. good quality and original fragrance.

veruska
veruska

i love scents with a salty quality, and i already own and love The Different Company's Vetiver dd Sel, so i'm afraid i won't need this. I love the lively orange start but after that i can hardly smell anything. Probably i'm just anosmic to it. i only detect something faintly sweet and powdery, likie violet and a very generic vetiver drydown. Urban Skies called this aggressive and i have hard time even smelling it.Mmmmm?

pimentosugars
pimentosugars

Seduced by the pretty bottle! And the pretty name! I can't help being shallow, plus I do love orange fragrances, they make me smile. This perfume started a little sharp (*pouf!* like one of those tiny rocket fireworks in the ads) Then became quickly lovely... within the opening seconds, my partner detected a note in it 'Like the sea.' I found myself sniffing and re-sniffing my wrist on the way home as the scent metamorphosed from a genial holiday perfume into some magical spell, feminine and very delicate. The amber and woods are well combined here.

Less than half an hour later my partner was distinctly unimpressed; he found it a bit ordinary whilst I was dismayed at the lack of hold. An hour and a half and it was gone. Maybe it's got no staying power or maybe I didn't put enough on in the first place. It's the first Hermes perfume to interest me. I will have to try it again!

PR
PR

Though it is not that much different from Elixir, I find the feel of perfume to change much more.. more airy, orange less pronounced, overall very classy feel to it..though it comes close to Elixir, but it is not the same

OH, NO... I'm gonna have a Merveilles Little Warehouse on my dressing table! :-)

elgab89
elgab89

For me this is not an orange scent, although everybody mentions it, the orange is definitely in the background more than the primadonna, here.
It reminds me surprisingly of eucalyptus, although I am not sure if it contains any. It must be the combination of fir, pepper and citruses that altogether bring a medicinal note, that, unexpectedly, is pleasant.
I am sure this could be worn successfully by a man as well, so I could categorize it as universal.
The woods are also noticeable.
I would also classify it as a summer scent. If I had to make a picture of it, it would probably be of a lake in the middle of a fir forest with lots of tree trunks in the water.

LiLascents
LiLascents

This scent had to grow on me, but now I love it as a summer scent!! I kept going back to test it because of the nice reviews I kept finding on this fragance. Now me like!!

Mitsouko
Mitsouko

I feel in it far growing orange garden - juicy and sweet, but first of all, salty and woody, subtle scent. In integrity this is very delicate smell, but strange and very intriguing.

Boggi
Boggi

I agree with Urban Skies description, minus the aggresive. Very pleasant wood with comfortable pepper. I think it would work great as a daytime fragrance, but also at night if you like too. It's a bit on the masculine side and that's what I like.

SandraS
SandraS

Love it. The kind of smeel that you always love to feel, at all times of day and night. Could wear it everyday without a problem.

I associate this scent with hollidays, happy times and celebration feel. The orange is strong on me, spiced up by the peper. It reminds me of wine and fruit (Sangria or tropical punch) and orange cake. Not exactly gourmand but toying with the idea.

matteomac
matteomac

The first time I smelt this I asked the girl who was wearing it which perfume it was (I never asked it before), and from that moment Eau des Merveilles has became my favourite fragrance for women.

Eau des Merveilles is truly a dream: it leads you to an enchanted land and it shakes your feelings, making you think 'This is Heaven'.

indigo.smile
indigo.smile

this is misterious fragance..it makes me feel different, i feel more sensual. The pepper says it all, i must say

cocomademoisellerie
cocomademoisellerie

To me, it doesn´t smell peppery or even agressice at all, but like a flower garden.
Funnily enough, because it is described to have no flower notes in it. Strange...

Urban Skies
Urban Skies

Woody and peppery, almost dusty (but in a good way). Dark, mysterious, elegant, and somewhat aggressive.

Eau des Merveilles by Hermes 4.06 out of 5 based on 1865 ratings and 274 user reviews

Eau Des Merveilles by Hermes for Women Eau de Toilette Spray 0.42 oz
Hermes Eau des Merveilles - Eau de toilette natural spray
Hermes Eau des Merveilles - Eau de toilette natural spray
HERMES Eau des Merveilles 3.3 oz Eau des Merveilles Eau de Toilette Spray
HERMES Eau des Merveilles 3.3 oz Eau des Merveilles Eau de Toilette Spray

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Hermes Eau des Merveilles fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Hermes Eau des Merveilles, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Eau des Merveilles by Hermes. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Eau des Merveilles by Hermes represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.