Designers » F-H » Oriental Fougere « Groups

Elixir des Merveilles Hermes for women

Elixir des Merveilles Hermes for women
dislike

I have it: 939 I had it: 271 I want it: 1082 My signature: 42

Elixir des Merveilles Hermes for women Pictures Elixir des Merveilles Hermes for women Pictures Elixir des Merveilles Hermes for women Pictures Elixir des Merveilles Hermes for women Pictures Elixir des Merveilles Hermes for women Pictures Elixir des Merveilles Hermes for women Pictures Elixir des Merveilles Hermes for women Pictures

Elixir des Merveilles by Hermes is a Oriental Fougere fragrance for women. Elixir des Merveilles was launched in 2006. The nose behind this fragrance is Jean-Claude Ellena. The fragrance features peru balsam, vanilla sugar, amber, sandalwood, tonka bean, patchouli, siam resin, caramel, oak, incense, orange peel and cedar.

Peru Balsam Vanilla Sugar Amber Sandalwood Tonka Bean Patchouli Siam Resin Caramel Oak Incense Orange Peel Cedar

Eau des Merveilles

Elixir des Merveilles Fragrance Reviews

Lana148
Lana148

Love Elixir des Merveilles, it's a pure elegance!

Eau des Merveilles is a bit cold for me, but Elixir satisfies all of my senses. It's much richer and fuller, mysterious and sensual, delicious and intoxicating. It smells wonderful on my skin and it suitable for all seasons.

It's oriental fragrance, balsamic-woody-vanilla heaven, so might not be suitable for floral lovers or people who love sweet fragrances. I would still encourage anyone to try it, because this is good!

Elixir also belongs in unisex category - it's not super feminine.

Anouk_0501
Anouk_0501

I've been looking for a different perfume, a statement one, a smell that is highly original, not too sweet or too heavy, not that type that screams in your face, but the type that winks at you in a flirty and seductive way.

I am 27, yet I don't see this one smelling like "old lady" or like it is only for 30+. Still, this is not for anybody, this is a pure classy, refined and elegant one. Not to be worn when dressed in jeans and snickers! ;) it is ok for the office, as long as you don't abuse spraying it :D It can work both in summer and winter, it is not overbearingly sweet, like Alien, the citrus makes it also wearable during summer and that's why I bought a large 100ml bottle, because when I tested for several times, during a +30 weather, for me the drydown was ok for summer as well, even though the majority says it most suitable for winter.

On my skin, I can smell deep citus at the beginning, this one stays throught the day and is fabulous! the drydown is a woody - ambery scent + dark chocolate + patchouli + orange that makes me dream of a cocktail party by the seaside, me dressed with a long silk dress, smelling the sea breeze with a glass of champagne in my hand.

It might be considered a gourmand perfume, but I think it is not as heavy and thick as an usual gourmand type. It is somehow mysterious and bold, one should only buy it if you enjoy perfumes with musk, woody and citrusy feeling. It might be considered masculine, like I heard from the person that I asked to buy it for me, but believe me, if I were to pick a category, it is rather feminine, that orange smell makes it fluid and fresh, it can also work for men, but it is definitely not a masculine scent.

But if you are used to floral smells, pretty and obedient girly smells, it might not be yout type.

The sillage is very long lasting, especially that on my skin complexion perfumes don't last that much, esp. if I'm using floral/fresh scents. Elixir lasts for 9 to 12 hrs, it's magnificent!

For me, this perfume is close to perfection and I thank Jean-Claude Ellena for creating this masterpiece for Hermes! If you dare to be special and feminine, bold and subtle, at the same time and if you got tired of the same girlish floral smell that every women wear, buy this one, you'll not regret it!

antfarm
antfarm

Absolutely delicious. Very similar to the original Eau de Merveilles, but with an edible, juicy element that reminds me of a drop of orange juice squirting out of a chocolate-covered orange peel. Not sweet though--it still maintains its warm, salty, spicy character. There is just something about this perfume that makes it so sensual and special. Has great lasting power as well.

Neanderthal
Neanderthal

In my rather romantic view, the wearer of Elixir des Merveilles is a sensitive and heroic figure. While the fragrance is genderless, it veers towards both the deeply masculine and the innately feminine...a fragrance of movement. Imagine a rainy day. You are the last to arrive at a party, a grandiose affair and you are feeling a little out of place.
A gentleman welcomes you from the cold, takes your coat and embraces you. There is music and dancing...somewhere there is an orchestra playing. Later on, when it is time to leave, you will fumble for your things, but he will assist you. When your car is fetched, he will help you in himself and you realise that he has been watching over you all this time. You feel better leaving than arriving. He leans over to fasten your seatbelt. He may ask after you at the party or you may never see him again. In either case, you will remember what he smelled like and this is what I imagine Elixir des Merveilles to be, the gentle almost magical movement between two people, think violin music with dancing. Wear it and be gracious.

Sharkington
Sharkington

I really love balsamic and spicy scents in general, and this one is so delicious. I have been wearing my sample of this for a couple days now and am just loving it. The first time I sprayed it, it came on extremely strong, but after about 5 minutes, the scent relaxed a bit and I was able to start noticing the different notes. On me, I detect a lot of the resin, woody notes, and the patchouli. For some reason the orange peel is a bit more subtle on me, but it really adds a refreshing aspect to this perfume. I feel like all the notes just blend so perfectly together, creating a very warm, comforting scent. I'm not sure whether I prefer this as a daytime or nighttime perfume, but at the moment, I'm just happy wearing it all of the time.

Velvet_Touch
Velvet_Touch

I fell in love with this fragrance right away. I've always loved citrus fragrances. The citrus notes arent on top in this one, so the scent doesnt sour. Zou can enjoy a fresh scent along the day. I bought an EDP a month ago from Strawberrynet, and the notes are a bit richer than with the eau de toilette. I just spray it once in the morning, and it last throughout the entire day. I've tried this one about one year ago and finally got it! It worths every penny! A great fragrance!

StealthAngel
StealthAngel

On me, this one is all sandalwood and patchouli in the best way possible. It's earthy, sensuous and decadent, luminous and velvety smooth, very upscale yet casual.
Elixir des Merveilles is multifaceted and complex but remains effortless: this is definitely not a "trying too hard" perfume, yet it's precisely this borderline nonchalance that makes it so unforgettable.
Jean Claude Ellena totally outdid himself with this one.

Not for me. Totally not what I wanted from this one: tonka and real warm woody vanilla!
I tested it on my skin and I liked the orangey opening, the vague chocolate note and the resinous amber. A thick juicy orange syrup it is.
Great and lovely in its complexity, but really not for me because it smells very very very sugary, thanksgod not a burned sugar like Prada Candy. A whole coat of sugar covers all its nice notes and this is not the way I like to smell for myself.
It's a worthy one if you're in that kind of scents, much better than many other gourmands around with average sillage and great duration, but I'll pass.

johngreenink
johngreenink

I wrote some thoughts about this scent well over a year ago when a good friend sent me a sample and I wore it day after day, trying to understand it. Elixir des Merveilles is extraordinarily complex, and yet wonderfully uplifting. The notes listed are all there, but they have sides to them that are hard to appreciate until one actually wears the perfume a few times.

There's no question that this is a love affair with oranges, their scent, their color and shape, their symbolic embodiment of the sun and its warming rays. When first spraying, you feel blasted with very sweet oil of oranges and almost imperceptible, gentle flowers. Very soon after, all the notes seem to rush in: caramel, vanilla, butter, salt and lactic notes, patchouli, and gentle woods. It's a three dimensional construction with pinging bits of sweet and woody sparkles here and there throughout the day. It dries down to a soft vanilla-wood blend that has a masculine vibe. This dry down is very long lasting and will remain on clothing for many days.

I don't think I own a scent that is more optimistic than Elixir des Merveilles. It has the uncanny ability to rouse someone from the most distant mood into the light. I think the gourmand side of the perfume attracts the part of us that still loves the food we loved as children, mostly things like oranges and caramel. The adult in us loves the seriousness of wood scents and white flowers. In other words, it covers all the bases of our different selves.

boruvka44
boruvka44

Candied oranges, honey resinous amber, spicy cedar and 90% dark chocolate.
Oriental (spicy sweet, balsamic, resinous), thick yet airy and natural woody scent.
Classy, simply Hermes.

IndigoEye
IndigoEye

This has a darker, sweeter feel to it than the original Eau des Merveilles. It is chocolate-orangey in its opening, and then becomes sweet, spicy and sticky, with the orange notes all the while in the background. Only in the dry down do the interesting salty, spunky and inky notes become apparent. This is a shame, as it was this combination that really made the original perfume interesting.
Although this is sweet, it is still a unisex fragrance. Its sillage is fairly strong and longevity pretty good. I found the middle notes a bit too overpowering, personally, and missed the unusual notes from the Eau des Merveilles.
It is a high quality fragrance, however, and you won't smell cheap wearing it. However, you won't smell unusual or different either. It will please gourmand lovers looking for a nicely put-together fragrance. A couple sprays will do, though!

Jessica2000
Jessica2000

This is exquisite, but strange. Not a very feminine fragrance so if you're into sweet pretty scents this may be a little too unusual. At first it thought this was a men's perfume. I found myself spraying this each time i visited Sephora, but i never buy a bottle. I'm intrigued by orange note. Ever open up a container to Tang? Well Merveilles is a mixture of Tang and spice. Very original, long lasting, bold and rich. I imagine a sophisticated French baroness sipping her wine while she overlooks the family vineyard. A brisk breeze carrying the perfume of orange orchard below mixes with the rich fruity wine and voila, Elixir Des Merveilles!

weelylah
weelylah

After reading all the reviews, when I tested it, this fragrance was not quite what I was expecting. I had expected it to be more aromatic and elusive. It smelt more mainstream than I had imagined. However, it was very pleasant and I went round the department store asking random strangers what they thought: Every response was positive. I decided to go for something safe for once, instead of my usual niche choices which only perfume heads seem to appreciate.

Speaking to my husband that night, he suddenly said I smelt nice. That's the first time he has said that over any perfume I have had (and believe me I have had them all - well niche/ classic stuff mainly...I'm sure you all know the type). This morning when I came down for breakfast he said he smelt it again, and when he got home from work he said "there is that lovely smell again. What is it?". Strangely he said it appeals to him because it smells of cedar/ woody and makes him nostalgic for something he cannot place - Yet I smell no cedar or woods at all. I detect orange and a classic male cologne type smell. He also said he likes it because it's slightly masculine and that it's not often he smells a 'women's' fragrance that he likes.

I am amazed to have found a fragrance that my husband (and everyone else I have asked) likes. As for me, I wish the chocolate was more bitter and dusty and the spices came through like the puff when you open a spice cupboard or tea drawer. I wish I could detect the resins and the aromatherapy type facets that others detect. I wish it was all slightly brighter. But, despite this, I must say it's really warm , comforting and lovely to wear so I am happy to give this a longer test run and see where the journey goes.

polly golightly
polly golightly

marmellata di arance :)

Valentina29
Valentina29

It's a masterpiece for me!! My number ONE!! Elegant but yet it makes you feel relaxed. It has a biterry-citrus smell... On my skin lasts whole day! I received many compliments!! It's divine!!!!

K1
K1

Jean-Claude Ellena knows how to employ orange!
I bought it just on my curiosity and just for I couldn't bear my wardrobe lack this cute roundy bottle! Then, what happened? It's a week I'm wearing it and can't get rid of it! Every evening I think tomorrow I wear this or that but every morning I wear this like there's no other perfume in my wardrobe!
Elixir des Merveilles is highly pronounced and identical; a tribute to orange and sweets; and a nice performer for spring days. Among all heavy floral ordinary things these days, what an impassioned and heartfelt vibe it grants.

I first tried this a few years ago and thought it was magic and now I've worn it properly on my skin, I know it is!
Amazing, warm, aromatic resin of Peru balsam and that orange note as it opens is superb. Then as it dries down, creamier elements of caramel and woods develop. To my nose it's a warm base of amber, Tonka bean and sandalwood with some not so warm cedar to balance it. Elixir des Marveilles is a great fragrance, totally unisex and worthy of a wear with moderate to Soft sillage and good longevity. I did make my girlfriend try it and she really liked it we could both just as easily wear this, I'm sold on this Hermes fragrance.

giorgio 223
giorgio 223

i got it today,i think its more unisex than female scent! im man and ill wear it even thats for ladies, so wonderful, so memorable elixir!

djuzz.becuzz
djuzz.becuzz

This one and the original Eau Des Merveilles are (imo) like a feminine take on Terre d'Hermes for men.
Wonderful combination of citrus and woods.
Excellent quality!

khatsar
khatsar

Gorgeous. GORGEOUS. Give this a try if you can.

I've always loved men's fragrances; many of them possess a charisma that's hard to come by in feminine perfumes. I've often wished I could trap the strength and nobility of some of my favourite "masculine" notes in a more feminine package that suits my wardrobe and general presentation (as opposed to giving the impression I've doused myself in a boyfriend's body spray).

Elixir des Merveilles is a heavenly anomaly. It's simultaneously woody, smoky, spicy, sexy and warm without the thickness one might expect from a cursory glance at the notes. It starts out leaning a bit woodsy-spicy-sharp and finishes down to golden vanilla smoky embers that linger lovingly on my skin. I'd enjoy this scent equally on a person of any gender, truth be told. Cozy, yet sophisticated. For some reason the orange note doesn't quite stand out to my nose. There's a quiet citrus hint back there, but not the strong orange zest I might have expected from reading these reviews.

I'm reminded of my favourite incense-- a hand-rolled, pure resin, ambergris-studded masterpiece that I burn sparingly and with reverence. There's a moneyed feel to this fragrance. It makes me feel positively opulent. Dare I splurge on a full bottle?

Mary-Jayne
Mary-Jayne

I have wanted this scent for a while. I had previously a small bottle of the Eau, and it is back on my want list, but I also wanted this one as it is a different perfume.
As I was going out today to meet friends I decided to go out perfume-less and stop at the store en route so I could use this.

Oh it is wonderful! Such a warm, deep, intoxicating scent. On me the orange is very dominant, very strong, it is like candied peel, zest, orange oil, not a light orange, this is heavy, sticky, rich. The other very prominent note on me is amber and resins, they give the feel of something thick, sticky, rich...it is a good thing, trust me! The other notes are there, they come to the fore in their turn to play together, but overall, this starts on me as a strong, deep, enhanced and enriched orange, then over the hours merges into a rich orangey, ambery sandalwood, absolutely delicious!

This is a BIG fragrance, it warms and grows on the skin. 3 sprays (wrists, cleavage, walk through) was enough to give me MEGA projection (put it this way, I walked past a room with an open an door and the woman came out and said "ooh, is that elixir des merveilles, I love it"! Just from walking past the door!) So be careful, this is powerful stuff, do not go overboard (which would be easy as you want to douse yourself in this juice it is so lovely!)so I would say this could fill a room or small space! Also the longevity, amazing, 12 hours later as I sit and write I am still getting strong wafts of this, lovely. A very nice perfume.

Today was a good day for testing, as it was warm and sunny to begin and turned very cold, windy and wet over the afternoon. This perfume was suitable for all! I think in winter it would be a big comforting blanket and in summer, with a light hand, a sultry rich hot day smell. Highly recommended. I think some time soon I am going to have to get me a bottle!

donimili
donimili

This is truly beautiful. I adore it. I see that many of you are reminded of Christmas but that is not what it reminds me of. If i close my eyes i can see a pine trees, somewhere near sea, where soft summer breeze mix smells of pines and sea. How i wish i could be at that place right now... To me that is much better picture than Christmas simply because i love summer and i am a little bit tired of winter :) And also to me Elixir des merveilles is more of unisex than just female fragrance. Maybe even more on male side. So, gentlemen, and ladies who are more into sharper notes, you all will enjoy this perfume. Like i do ;)

Silly me, i forgot to say that it lasts all day on skin. On clothes, i don't dare to imagine. Eternity? :)

LizzieBea
LizzieBea

I was intrigued when I first smelled Elixir des Merveilles in the store, I was intrigued, but once I took a sample home and sprayed it on my skin, I was entranced. Now that I have my own full bottle, I am in love. This is easily my longest lasting perfume. After wearing three spritzes (chest, neck, wrists) all day at work the scent is still clear, and after a shower, it lingers. I don't normally like caramel and vanilla in my fragrances, but it balances the masculine woodsy, earthy notes perfectly. It's my favorite of Hermes's Merveilles perfumes.

steve0580
steve0580

I received a sample of this from a friend.

In a nutshell: It's a very strong, intense orange creamsicle and is almost identical to Laura Biagiotti's Roma per Uomo, except that the Eau des Merveilles is so much stronger.

If you want a light version of this, Roma per Uomo is the way to go and relatively cheap. You should be able to get a bottle of it for around $30 on Ebay.

mossyoakpenn
mossyoakpenn

The following review is really for my notes only, its very brief and leaves out a ton of details. Im just typing something that I remember each by. Im sure I will disrespect someones favorite fragrance too.

Resinousy, warm and lightly orange. I need a decant of this one. Hard to describe this one, nice though!

verdigris
verdigris

This is luscious on my skin! I am smitten and I think I must never be without it! While on the one hand it does remind of Christmas, and in hot climates it may be a winter scent, in places with cool evenings in summer this scent can dazzle throughout the year.

It opens with slightly candied bitter orange (as opposed to sweet orange blossom)not too bitter and not too candied and then suddenly a delightful salty caramel makes a brief appearance. The woody, resiny amber dry down is lovely-thankfully not too much patchouli-and my only complaint is that in the manner that I sprayed (once in the air and a walk-through and once onto the chest) the longevity and sillage are not what I would expect of an EDP. I will spray with abandon and report back.
Oriental fougere? For me much closer to an oriental gourmand which I normally would not care for and although I always prefer OTT spicy orientals, this scent is right up my alley. I will be wallowing in this fragrance! HIGHLY recommended but if at all possible try before you buy or obtain from a source that guarantees hassle-free returns; this one is an unusual concotion and the notes may not align for everyone. If they are right for you it is heavenly!

EDIT: Have at it! This one can be applied liberally and doesn't become ugly! A very lovely scent and highly recommended.

vsanthony
vsanthony

I agree w/ Scent Lover, this reminds me of Christmas. It is a winter orange, a cold weather orange - because of its depth and bitter edge. Not my husband's favorite but I'm quite fond of it.

Sweetfragrance
Sweetfragrance

I just got this perfume yesterday and I made the mistake of spraying it 4 sprays, so I disliked it immediately. Something kept telling me 'you've got to give it at least 3 chances before making up your mind' and so I took my shower and smelled my wrist: Shocked me!!! I loved that after my shower the sweet subtle scent lingered on my skin. I was happy with how I smelled after my shower but I want to not have to spray it then shower to love how it smells. Today I sprayed it once and touched my wrists together and it was enough that I could smell it occasionally instead of constantly. I love the sickly sweet scents and so this one will need to grow on me. At first I hate it, but give it about an hour and I can tolerate it. It smells of woodsy-cedar and has a masculine effect (which I love to smell on my husband but need to get used to on me). I'm hoping that I will love this with time as the month goes on I tend to favor different scents depending on my hormones and things of that nature. Pray for me positive thoughts because I REALLY want to adore this, not just tolerate it.

Edit:
After finally saying I have used this fragrance 4 times I have finally loved this fragrance. The drydown is amazing and in it is where I smell the feminine side to this fragrance. I love that after I wear it (2 sprays- 1 on shirt 1 on 1 wrist with a touch to the other) it lasts all day and as I put my shirt in the wash I smelled it on it as well as when I put my coat on the next day it lingered from my wrists and I just adored it. Thank you Fragrantica members for saying the positive words for me, I am so so relieved that Elixir and I can get along wonderfully.

naipe
naipe

completely obsessive

lexiemercado
lexiemercado

My boyfriend gave me this perfume for Christmas this year and easily one of the best smelling perfumes I've ever smelled! I wore this to work and within the first 10 minutes all my co-workers commented on it asking what it was- including the guys. Would highly recommend! Such an elegant smell it reminds me of a stroll in the park around winter time. Can't get enough of it!

oktober
oktober

It's a wonder-fragrance for those who like the smell of fresh resins.

Resins mixed with bitter scent of the oil that comes out of orange peels, with not too sweet but strong caramel, than heady sandalwood, oak and a little incense... this perfume deserves the name it has.

amyewest
amyewest

I should not like this perfume. Every other perfume I've smelled with similar notes and an emphasis on sweetness has repelled me. But wow does this one work well. The caramel, vanilla and orange are all very light and almost indistinguishable. If I hadn't seen the notes list I'd have just gone with "sweet, citrus, well blended'. It's been on for a bit now and I think I'm beginning to get the oak/patchouli/woods scents. I love how it smells of amber start to finish. I prefer it to the Eau des Merveilles, both in its intensity and formulation. I can sort of see how some users would consider it a masculine scent given how scents get marketed, but really, this would be appropriate on any human.

I see that it's attributed to Jean-Claude Ellena and that might explain why I love it so much even when I expected not to. I had pretty much the exact same reaction to Eau Clair des Merveilles. Like Eau Claire, I also smelled a bit of licorice at the start of the Elixir, but much less so. Not sure if this is me confusing one scent for another. The Elixir and Eau Claire feel more related to each other than to the Eau.

Am currently at home alone and bundled up so no idea about sillage. Only been an hour, so no idea on longevity. Betting it's like Eau Claire and ~4-6 hr.

mluckyg
mluckyg

Deep blend of sweet orange, amber, resin, peru balsam and sweet spices. Smells very resinous. The sweetness is just enough, not too sweet. Quality ingredients.
Moderate projection, last a long time. I will always have this in my collection. The best longevity from Hermes house.

I love this EDP elixir more compared to the EDT. The EDT smells more transparent, airy and more masculine because of the Fir.

LK2014
LK2014

(Apologies for the length but I need people to read my weird tale)

Yes, I am in love with this perfume. Like many others, I smelt it on someone in Paris, asked for a name, and bought it at the Hermes store at CGD - best purchase of new year's day. I can see why some people prefer the Eau over Elixir - if you are not a fan of orange notes, this one is not for you. The candied orange notes linger for the first 1-2 hours but then an intoxicating mix of vanilla/chocolate(y something), patchouli and amber takes over. For well over 7-8 hours.

Well...for the first 5-6 days.

Has anyone ever bought a bottle recently and suddenly felt like something changed, literally on the 6th and 7th day after wearing. The top notes last barely 5 minutes - what used to last 1-2 hours. It goes straight to the base notes. Sometimes I even get an alcoholic whiff. And after maybe 20 minutes I can't even smell the base notes on me. I went from constantly sniffing myself for pleasure through the day to smelling just some amber and pretty much nothing else - after about 2-3 hours, I feel like I am wearing nothing.

And I got people at the office to confirm - just so its not my nose. They can smell nothing on me. It turned out one of my colleagues owns a bottle of Elixir (she does not wear it to work because the person she shares the office with hates it), and she brought it and we did the sniff test. More importantly, we sprayed a few squirts of hers and mine on her, and sure enough - the one from hers on her wrist lasted throughout the day and mine was gone very soon.

I took it to the Hermes boutique here in Rome - no vain. Of course they denied it was anything different. I already contacted Hermes Paris and they gave me a std. response (pasted below, without reading my email that this is the very first time I am using it and this was my 6/7th day of use). They have asked me to ship the bottle to their labs in France, and I am definitely going to do it. I want them to tell me what went wrong. Given I am addicted to this perfume in such a short span of time, I don't want to spend every day worrying if the same thing will happen to the next bottle I purchase. Hermes has not responded to my question on whether they will bear the cost of shipping. Very disappointing! This is when I appreciate customer service in the US a lot.

Shouldn't they should ask themselves 'whats in it for her'? (I want to snap a photograph of my Chanel and YSL bottles and go - "you think I have complained to them?!"). I don't want my money back! Just an explanation, an apology - and a definitely replacement without the same problem!

Apparently the road to true love is definitely not smooth ;).

Any advice would be most appreciated. Any similar experience? I would love to hear. Btw I did not store it badly - it has not left its box since the day I bought it (I love how the bottle looks but was concerned about keeping it safe ;), it was definitely not stored near any extreme temperatures. Just in my normal cupboard where I keep all my perfumes. And some days next to my bed because I could not help but spray myself a bit at night before going to bed.

---
Email from Hermes. How wonderfully polite?!

We thank you for taking the time to write to us. We are indeed very attentive to the feedback of our customers and deeply regret any disappointment in one of our products.

Throughout their manufacture, our products are subject to systematic and rigorous controls in order to ensure the absolute quality that meets the requirements of Hermès. These include controls on the fragrance, its intensity and tenacity.

The perception of smell varies among individuals and their sensitivity. The staying power of a scent is a concept which is assessed in relative terms, depending on personal habits and the type of scent that we are used to wearing. It also sometimes takes time to get used to new odours.

Furthermore, when we are accustomer to a fragrance, perfuming ourselves everyday throughout the day, we can very often discover a new facet to the fragrance which we had previously not preceived.

The style of fragrance- creation and its composite materials also influence the perception of the staying power. An "Oriental" Perfume gives the impression of lasting longer than a "citrus" Perfume, mainly consisting of more ephemeral citrus notes.

However, if you feel that your product presents the slightest defect, we suggest you return it to us, as recorded delivery, for a laboratory analysis:

HERMES Parfums
Attn to Claire MEYER
12/16, rue Auger
93694 PANTIN Cedex
FRANCE

Once we have received the results from our laboratory, we will be delighted to contact you and replace your perfume should it present the slightest defect.

We remain at your disposal for any further questions you may have.

Best regards,

Claire MEYER
Au Fil d'Hermès Parfumeur

Chris v.V.
Chris v.V.

Thanks to fellow member Gigis, I have been able to try this concoction. Elixir des Merveilles vaguely reminds me of her sister fragrance Eau des Merveilles. Except Elixir d. Merveilles is initially much, MUCH more sweet and oriental: the vanilla, resin, caramel and tonka bean are what stand out. Yes, there are orange and woods notes, but I think they take a back seat to the sweet ingredients. It dries down to a powdery patchouli finish.

Unfortunately, since I'm not a big fan of oriental-sweet, or patchouli, this fragrance -- as much as I thought I'd ADORE it -- is not for me. The lighter, saltier Eau des Merveilles is more up my alley.

naomi.scott
naomi.scott

This might sound strange but on my skin this smells like orange peel and butter.

It smells different in the air and around me but if i put my nose to my wrist, butter! So peculiar. It took me ages to work out what exactly was bothering me about this perfume. It's lovely otherwise :)

ecerusen
ecerusen

unfortunately it didnt work with my skin. how can it possible i dont know but it smells fresh and familiar on me. such a shame :(

miticothor
miticothor

This is a masterpiece, yes a real masterpiece!!!

Vanessa Dunlap
Vanessa Dunlap

I never thought it would happen, but it did. My husband's knees almost gave way when he smelled this perfume on me. He keeps burying his face in my neck, or holding my arm up to his nose, inhales deeply, and says "Oh my God! Oh my God!" I tested Elixir in the Sephora store today, purchased a bottle, and no sooner had I returned home and stepped in the door, when he said "what are you wearing?" and started to inhale my arm. He says that he will always make sure that I never run out of this beautiful fragrance, and he is planning to write to Hermes to tell them about his reaction to Elixir and how heavenly he thinks this is. He says that if you could smell Heaven, it would smell like Elixir des Merveilles. I have never seen him react to any of my other fragrances, ever (and I have some pretty nice perfumes), in this manner. He literally becomes weak in the knees! I am so not making this up, and I am not exaggerating. This really happened. This is a beautiful fragrance. It opens with a blast of what smells to me like a forest of fir and cedar, and then the mist from the ocean gives it a salty/almost sweaty tang. About an hour after applying, the most sparkly candied orange awakens with a caramel/amber glow, and it floats around me like the most beautiful perfumed guardian angel. My husband says it leaves a trail of scent, when I pass through the room. It turns him into a big, purring kitten. I tried to persuade him to try it on also, as I think this would smell wonderful on men as well as women, but he says he only wants to smell it on me! Seriously, he has never reacted to a perfume in this way, ever. Hermes, you now have two new adoring fans of Elixir des Merveilles! It looks like I have finally found my new #1 fragrance, and I couldn't be more pleased.

EvyRose
EvyRose

December 2011 Manchester aiport. I am taking the airplane back home for christmas holidays. My friend who is travelling with me suggests me to buy this perfume as a gift for my mother. I spray it on me and with no time to think, I buy it.

Packaging: 4/5
That is the first thing that attracted me to this scent. The nice box, the name of the perfume (elixir of wonders), the bottle that looks like an amber resin really caught my attention. In my eyes it is a simple yet elegant bottle which makes me think of the christmas season.

Perfume: 1/5
Oops what a shock!I admit this perfume is unique. It starts with a warm citrus/orange combined with salty caramel and then dries down to oak/ceddar/amber like scent. I also understand why this perfume could be unisex as the try down makes it more masculine. It just does not go with my chemistry and my mother did not like it either. I believe it is a winter scent that is quite feminine but not sexy.

Longetivity: 4/5
It is strong and it stays on for long.

Sillage: 2/5
Yes but I never got any positive comments.

Overall: 2.75/5
This is the perfect example for me of the perfume that you either love or you dislike. Therefore, I believe that this one should not be bought unsniffed.

Packaging: 4/5

Perfume: 1/5

Longetivity: 4/5
It is strong and it stays on for long.

Sillage: 2/5
Yes but I never got any positive comments.

Overall: 2.75/5

gallian
gallian

...the sweetest thing elegant and soft that you can wear on a cold and sad day to lift your mood.

joan100
joan100

When I first sprayed this it smelled very masculine but it then developed into this beautiful scent that you cant help but want to smell more. Another well made fragrance by Hermes. I experienced exactly what nicenspice did!

Warm amber, caramel and orange zest make an intensive great sillage. But I prefer the original version with the fir, pepper and elemi resin notes. It's more intensive and impressive.

saguna

This is the only bottle I purchased more than 5 times. It's perfect in all seasons, but the best in fall/winter . It's the most complimented perfume in my collection, and intriguing juice that lasts all day and night and you wake up with Christmas in your nose too ! The most beautiful, long lasting and unique perfume from the top brand. I went to get some groceries and I came back to find my husband sniffing the bottle.I said : please, can you out it back because you will smell out my whole perfume, that much I love it ! I don't let anyone to touch my 3 bottles I have. If I could afford using it every day, I would do it.

laantjebanaantje
laantjebanaantje

I absolutely adore this perfume. From the chocolate covered top notes, so rich and dark and salty that it almost smells like sweaty skin over the salty woody amber heart to the dry incensy cedar base, I adore it. I adore the sprinkling of festive exotic spices over the entire perfume. The salty caramel, amber and spices give this perfume an almost leathery quality that I really like.
It's delicious, but not gourmand (not too sweet, yay!) and it's soooo "Christmas-y". It seems like the perfect antidote for the grey rainy days of winter.
I think I might love the fresher, more outdoorsy and more masculine Eau des Merveilles more in general, but in these grey autumn days this wonderful dark salty-sweet Elixir with its rays of orange sunshine seems just perfect.
To be honest I think both Eau and Elixir could be worn by men and by women, they would be exquisite on both.

Ginkimcuong
Ginkimcuong

Ahhhh My new baby for this winter, it's warm n woody( it's feel like In side the Narnia's closet, u know it) and classy

suzieiq
suzieiq

I really wanted to like this one. The notes all appealed to me. I loved the initial opening.... But as it dried down, I smelled a predominant cedar mixed with my body chemistry. Too bad. Smelled very masculine on me. I was hoping for sexy, unique and feminine. I think I need to stay away from cedar notes. Oh well....

kay0981
kay0981

This is one of my absolutely favourite perfumes of all time. A true fragrant jewel; elegant, complex, unique and unforgettable..

The rich composition of this oriental fougere is based primarily on warm accords, such as amber, incense, caramel and resin. Aromatic orange peel is especially pronounced in the opening; but it's not a fresh, zesty kind of orange – this one is sweet and balsamic, coated in a layer of salty caramel. Then, the woodsy base reveals dry, bitter notes of cedar and sandalwood, with a resinous background, which to me, resemble a deep pine forest on a rainy day. There are still some hints of the caramel salty-sweetness in the drydown, alongside with a few spicy accords.

This scent is probably not for everyone, but it's definitely worth a try. It's so unique – I honestly can't compare it to anything else. I much prefer this to the original Eau de Merveilles - I find it to be richer and deeper. The two are close, yes, but where Eau de Merveilles focuses mainly on citrus and amber, Elixir brings forward much smoother, sweeter notes. Perfect for brightening up cold winter days :)
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

StellaXYH
StellaXYH

I didn't get much orange from Hermès Elixir des Merveilles, actually. Instead, the woods and the resins in it really caught my eyes, or should I say, my nose? I'm reminded of a lot of things, from pines and rosins for violin bridge, to sandalwood perfumed chinese folding fan and incense, all these appealing stuff to me.

There is also a sort of burnt sugar/caramel smell mellowing the woody and resinous components along the way. However, its ethereal texture and subtle manoeuvre of gourmand elements prevent it from being anything childish foody sweet. It's refined, with an aristocratic temperament, yet understated and without being pretentious. Afterwards Elixir des Merveilles develops rather linearly into a warm, slightly salted, milky powdery skin scent of amber and resins, with woods and pathcouli still present, providing a tiny kick.

The sillage is soft on me and the longevity is around 9 hours. It's indeed a marvelous elixir of wonders and delicacy. Highly recommended for woods and gourmand lovers!

ruks
ruks

This is a strong smell and not very nice after a while. Quite disappointed realy, left me with a headache as it's so strong. Don't really want to give the expensive perfume away but will not be wearing it again that's for sure so may have to say good bye!! overall very strong, very balsamic and reminds me of old aftershave.

Hollie
Hollie

I was given a sample by Kris919(lovely Fragrantican by the way!)

Mmmm...heavenly!Before coming here to look up the notes, I was reminded of something similar....L de Lolita. They are not twins by any means but, now I know, that they have that bitter orange note in common. L is much sweeter and has a ton more vanilla but they feel related. I love that Elixir des Merveilles is smokey,balmy and woody and a tad salty with that caramel orange note ever lingering. I feel something round and soft like almond too but it's not listed. This stuff is super cozy...it's a blustery day here and wearing this makes me feel even more like curling up into a ball and reading a good book. Men and women alike could easily pull this one off...it's not feminine or masculine....it's just good.

meugie
meugie

I love this perfume and the sensations can be described in few words: it is a balsamic, resinous orange.
It's not a fresh orange, harvested in the tree. It is crystallized and can be found in a candy box of finely pastry.
Have a perfect depth and incensed.
The name Elixir des Merveilles can seems pretentious, but translates exactly the vibe of the fragrance.
Excellent length, moderate sillage.
Among the three fragrances of the line is the one I like better.
I think it is modern and chic. Confers an aura of elegant and ageless maturity to who uses.
It joined easy to the lounge of favorites.

noori
noori

Amazing, a perfect orange-balsam mixture with a salty-spicey tingle and with a lovely, sweet undertone - if I only spray it once on the back of my hand. Three sprays, and it becomes very peppery, like "dumped the whole pepperbox on it" peppery.

But when used sparingly, it is such a fantastic, not too warm and not too cold, calm yet interesting fragrance, it is good to smell it time after time, especially in autumn.

kris919
kris919

this is great stuff. This is probably what Bottega Veneta wanted to be, but it was too much of a quiet spineless wimp. Where Bottega alleges it had plum, this one has orange...only the way my skin is, I dont get the zest everyone talks about...but rather a sweet almost plum/orange combo. This is perfection, and it lasts forever on me. I thought I might prefer the eau de merveilles , but it was too woody, salty, and masculine. Elixir is perfect. Sweet orange, patchouli, and incense, and some subtle pine is what I get. This is an all year long scent in my opinion, and it doesnt get masculine on me at all. It's totally unisex, but probably closer to the feminine side. excellent

darcy2
darcy2

I can add very little to what has already been said about this beauty, except that I love it so much I had to say something. I waited a full two years to get a FB and finally just got one; it was well worth the wait. Elixir opens with the most delightful shock of orange zest, but not orange zest alone. This is the similar to the smell you would get if you zested an orange that had been stuck full of cloves and then rolled in cinnamon. I used to do this at Christmastime and hang them on the tree; after Christmas we would move them to the closets to use as pomanders. By this time, the oranges picked up the scent of the tree...this is just delightful. Even though Elixir does evoke Christmas memories for me, it is still a citrus fragrance despite all the spices - and still seems cooling and fresh for summer. A winner all around and so unusual, wears close to the skin but lasts until my next shower, and then still detectable on my clothes. Also, a gorgeous, sparkly bottle that is unique (and not tacky) that it stands on an angle rather than squarely on its bottom. One of my favorites.

saguna

This is the only perfume I get compliments from strangers all the time. People say the place smell of me when I leave it, my optician asked me today what perfume am I using, a lady in the shop asked...I own it since 2 weeks again and I sparingly use it, as it's too beautiful for me and expensive as well. Two sprays will make your day happy. I had it in winter and I think it smells more intense in winter than now.
tried also eau des merveilles but Elixir is my type...
I think you have to be lucky to have the right chemistry on your skin to work well with this perfume. But one thing is for sure - people will notice you...

Germany
Germany

Elixer des Merveilles Hermes is a very warm orangey Perfum. The best orange vanilla perfume that I have ever smelled( besides its new sister of 2012 L Ambre des Mecilles. ) . It's sweet and balmy and has a European flare to it. Resin, tonka bean and amber make this scent rich and smooth with no hard edges. The patchouli keeps it grown up and a little earthy, yet it is definitely a playful young scent that oozes warmth and sex appeal , ends with vanilla caramel cedar , the orange peel is always there lingering in the background. It's 0riental ,its gourmand and its definitely aromatic!!!!!I totally love it!!!!

anna.dkr5
anna.dkr5

I've tried it on my skin today, and it opens with a wonderful citrus accord. Then, it turns into something that oddly reminds me a lot of Fahrenheit! On my skin, I smell a very earthy, leathery sandalwood accord with a faint whiff of citrus every now and then. This must be loaded with ISO-E super, too. Great longevity (it survived a vigourous body scrub), and moderate sillage with only one spray. What's left of this scent is a sweet, honey-like note, which is identical to the drydown of l'eau de mandarine ambrée.
It's a beautiful fragrance, but on me, it smells too similar to Fahrenheit, and I already own a bottle of the latter.

CycoEva
CycoEva

This is my all time favorite and signature scent if I had to choose one. I've emptied about 7 bottles of it thus far. I haven't worn it for a couple years now for a few reasons.

# 1 - The "MTV hiphop" community recently took a liking to "Hermes" as in the past they have with "Gucci" and other haute couture brands. I was unfortunately spending time with this girl who tries very had to be a "ghetto hoodrat" and she has a bottle of this (the bath gel) and she was going on and on about how expensive and special it is. I didn't even bother telling her that I've been wearing that PERFUME for years. I don't want to be ANYTHING like this chick so I stopped wearing it, until I can get this terrible memory of her out of my head.

# 2 - Its a love it or hate it scent, and my best friend and my cousin say it smells like "RAID" bug spray.

One day I will wear this again, but I'm still giving it a rest for now.

RugosaAlba
RugosaAlba

This extraordinary gifted charismatic baby was born to the family of two:
a strong lonely depressed smoker Shalimar, former beauty and heartbreaker, and her outrageously beautiful very young daughter Boucheron Jaipur, also a smoker. The father's whereabouts are unknown: probably, somewhere in Fougere land, mingling with other Fougeres like him.

Too much of a "modern" musk, which comes across as "synthetic" to me, and not enough of what I'd like to detect more of, such as woody, incense, or resinous notes. A "for the masses" scent, it seems. I guess it would work well as an "office scent" in colder weather. I'd certainly be thrilled to swap off my nearly full 100 ml bottle, that's for sure (if I obtained something more to my likely, obviously). Is this supposed to be a transparent oriental? Some things have yet to exist for a reason, it seems!

Lauralee77
Lauralee77

Ugh! No. I don't like this for the same reason I don't like fruit cake = bitter orange peel. If you like that taste/smell then go for it but I hated it. Starting to feel a bit like grumpy cat over here with my reviews but really there are not enough great perfumes out there. And if they are they get discontinued. Sigh..

EmilyTheStrange
EmilyTheStrange

This is pure, happy warmth in a bottle to me :) I first smelled ripe, delicious blood oranges...but in no time at all, the "tang" of the oranges became beautifully sweet!

This is how it stayed on my skin for the best part of an hour, but then I was smelling smokey incense, Amber, wood notes and vanilla which kind of "dusts" over the yummy blood orange notes.

I'd say the *minimal* note in this (for me) is the Patchouli, it's there but it's faint. The Caramel is also there - but it's more like a yummy burnt caramel in my opinion and it seems to waft in and out (unlike the blood oranges and smokey notes which are constant).

I know a lot of you say this is a Winter scent, but for me I can see wearing this a lot in Summer! I think the kind of heat up here in Queensland Australia would make this gorgeously classy scent shine even more.

This is my first Hermes experience and I'm very pleased to say it's been a good one. This is delicious, sophisticated and complex...all while being fun, vibrant yet mysterious. Longevity seems quite good as well!

ducbum
ducbum

Very disappointed. because its very classic nothing special

alchemist1976stephanie
alchemist1976stephanie

This has a similar feel to Eau but I find it fairly linear in comparison. This is more like a heavy wall versus the transparent breeze of Eau. Great for those who like their fragrances to speak louder. I prefer whispers though. I did not get ANY of the notes mentioned. To my nose, it has the same salty sea air scent of Eau des Merveilles without the amber. Kind of plain in comparison. I will stick with my Eau.

anguslairdmcangus
anguslairdmcangus

OVERALL RATING: * * * *

Wow--what a wonderful little surprise! Those were my initial thoughts when I tried this fragrance at the recommendation of the incomparable Kafkaesque. She compared it--briefly--to her beloved vintage Opium. Coming from Kafkaesque, that is high praise indeed!

I was initially skeptical about the gender appropriateness of Elixir. Hermes markets it exclusively to women. This is unfortunate, because Elixir is, if anything, a masculine-leaning unisex.

Opening notes are almost identical to Amouage Jubilation XXV, but the similarities quickly disappear. Where Jubilation unfolds as a woody, sweet spicy, amber-intensive scent, Elixir veers toward dark vanilla and patchouli.

Many have commented on the gorgeous candied orange zest opening, so I won't spend any time on that.

I get a good 5 hours of projection from Elixir, more than all but the most tenacious fragrances on my dry skin.

It is quickly working its way into my list of favorites, alongside Jubilation, Opus VI, Azzaro PH, Rive Gauche Homme, and L'Instant Guerlain Eau Extreme.

Patchouli lovers will particularly enjoy the prolonged drydown.

Sillage: 4/5

Londonchick
Londonchick

WOW, JUST WOW. Christmas in a bottle. This is a perfect balmy winter scent.
Jammy ripe orange, not bitter or tart citrussy. This is the deep winter sister of Sur Nil.
Uplifting and lush Hermes have done it again. Love love the resins !!
Not sure about the staying power which lets it down a fraction but this is addictive !!!

mery09
mery09

For me the Hermes fragrance are very strange for my taste,I cannot find a fragrance from Hermes and say-This one is for me,I love it.This one first smells like something old,like a perfume who expired ,and then transforms in a masculine fragrance but no way!!!!!!!!!!I must go and wash my wrist.....

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

Some reviewers, in fragrantica and youtube, have stated that this fragrance is unisex. So I decided to try it for a couple of days as I love anything that has to do with Hermes. However, as much as I would have liked to have another Hermes fragrance in my repertoire, I had to pass on this one because it is way too sweetly feminine. It is a lovely composition for ladies. I would enjoy smelling it on them; but sorry, definitely not on heterosexual men in my opinion.

Update: after I wrote the comment above I tried Eau des Merveilles. Now this one I can see it being unisex and wearable by men. Check this one out if you like the amber / orange accord of Elixir des Merveilles.

Marianne Wynn
Marianne Wynn

I sprayed it on a strip at Sephora and thought I had never smelled anything more beautiful or wonderful before. I got a sample and tried it out on my skin, the immediate note was orange cleaner, orange soda and the great tragedy was that none of the other wonderful notes ever emerged on my skin. Just the orange. A terrible disapointment.

Fmcandy
Fmcandy

I tried this one at sephora, didnt pay much attention but a few days later, I took my sweater and thought, what s that amazing scent coming from the sleeves. The perfume stayed there in such a marvellous way. I went back to sephora and bought it. Now it s my fav. And also became a fan of J.C. Ellena. I love orientals, patchouli, incense, but some scents with them are too strong or not dedícate. Elixir is perfect, very femenine, elegant and a bit exotic. You can be in a t shirt & jeans, a bit of EDM and you feel unique.

patxaran
patxaran

Orange being my favourite colour, you may call me biased. This is so far the best use of orange in a perfume I have come across. Let me explain. There is the type of citrussy acidic orange you get in colognes, fear not, it is not this. Elixir has a delicious candied orange jam note that powers through from start to finish. And yet I find it neither overbearing, sickly sweet nor artificial. As the fragrance develops, a perfect balance is built up. I find it hard to pinpoint specific notes as the whole composition is so perfectly balanced. A creamy but not too edible vanilla and salty caramel is rounded off by patchouli... I guess that is where the chocolate effect comes from. I accidentally got some Elixir on my bedlinen after a decant session and found with surprise that a day later or so I could sniff the chocolate note that I had never noticed when wearing Elixir (but some reviewers commented on). There is a very classy sexy undertone in this fragrance I thought it may be musk but I guess I am wrong here. This base is extremely longlasting but in a good way. Recommended season is winter and definitely Christmas, but any cold day really will be brightened up by this lovely scent. Do not be put off by those saying this is a masculine scent. It may be unisex but it is a powerful feminine scent for those who like bold and well balanced perfumes with class.

stela.kumati
stela.kumati

this flagrance is special,whith these flagrance you are special and unique:)

lolagizmo5
lolagizmo5

I had a really hard time with Elixir, fell in love with eau des merveilles but Elixir just seemed too much. Then a year or so later, I was buying a little bottle of eau when I decided to spray some Elixir on my wrist, all the way home on the train I could smell this most delicious creamy orange choc smell and then I fell in love, it was winter and maybe the cold weather just brings out the best in elixir!!!! Eau for spring summer and Elixir for Autumn winter ... lots of reviewers do mention christmas when elixir is mentioned, amazing, what took me so long!

supergirl83221
supergirl83221

A blind buy that I will never ever regret! :) Classy and enchanting. EdM is warm yet spells L-u-x-e. Men can definitely pull this one off! Opens with shreds of orange peels and caramel. Then the wave of woodiness and spices hits you and carries you into its warm, seductive heart. Once the notes settle down, there is a certain feeling of homeyness about this scent that will keep you at ease in its embrace despite the strong sillage. :)

Cams
Cams

Looked through my window this am and it was a rain/snow mix mess! I wanted a fragrance that would comfort me through the day and I automatically reached for my Elixir des Merveilles! This is on my list of top 5 favs!

etherealgypsy
etherealgypsy

CLASSY! Everytime I wear this parfum, people ask me "what are you wearing?." This parfum is not for everyone, though. It is very strong, woody, musky, and spicy.

nicenspice
nicenspice

For the first 20 minutes this is horrible..overpowering patchouli that smells cheap and old-fashioned.I almost ran to the bathroom to scrub it off.I'm glad I didn't because it soon turns into a sublime,divine( in the true sense of the word) powdery incensy masterpiece- a perfect olifactoral accompaniment to sitting by an open fire with a glass of red wine,listening to Tallin( choral hymns),which is exactly what I'm doing today.

It's listed as the dominant note but I get no citrus AT ALL from this( weird,when everyone else seems to smell it strongly) Nor any caramel.
For me the notes are;
OPENING; Patchouli,Woods
AFTER 20 MINS; Tonka,Incense,Vanilla,Powdery notes

Sillage-medium
Longevity-Very good.

appelture
appelture

I bought this blind, after reading all the amazing reviews here, and rushed to pick it up from the post office... and it's amazing! Such a wonderful scent. When wearing it, it feels like I know something that no one else does, a beautiful secret! It's just wonderful and so long lasting too!

gritzalimaria@yahoo.gr
gritzalimaria@yahoo.gr

it is the best from the line. strong orange note in this one. i think that this is the best fragrance ever from all perfumes i ever had. it is just...wow!!!

pisces3774
pisces3774

Wow! I'm glad I tested this a third time! This is really unique, and I like it a lot. There is a very dry and salty depth, but no sweetness. I mostly get the orange peel, patchouli, and cedar, with an occasional whiff of incense. Perhaps a glimmer of amber. The vanilla, caramel, and sandalwood are very dry, and not sweet. This is dried orange peel, dipped in caramel and lightly salted. Great on both the gents and dames.

gabri
gabri

Is this a much stronger version of Eau Claire des Merveilles ? I'm not sure but I own both fragrances now :o)

HORRIDFRAG
HORRIDFRAG

This is radical!
Seriously, this fragrance really strong, and I don't even bother what would the composition of the notes be, what I know is I LOVE this fragrance very much! Orange, and more orange, from the initial blast till the drydown! A masterpiece indeed. A superb one!

yuay
yuay

A standout woody perfume. Not what I would associate with fireworks. I smell deep pine woods after a rainy day on first impression. The most immediately recognizable scent is resin. Resin is used for rubbing the bow of string instruments. When a musician works his or her magic, the resin powder goes all over him or her. I can imagine listening to a live orchestra up close performing a masterpiece. A great perfume for someone who plays a string instrument! (Gender is not an issue)

Janlast
Janlast

Best scent for compliments, ever!

Lauriczuj
Lauriczuj

Amazing... It smells like sex and cigarette. Adore it.

Mas777
Mas777

That's true: it's a sophisticate masterpiece. :) I received it by mistake for Xmas (my husband confused the flanks...). It has been the best mistake in my life! ;)

Pbeschi

I have to admit it: it gives me a skin rush... This is such a pity :(

filmoyster
filmoyster

I absolutely adore Elixir des Merveilles. I found:

Within the first five minutes:
- Blast of orange peel
- Spicy sweetness
- Very strong, but WAIT! It mellows out...

The perfume evolves into:
- Delightful, warm amber
- Peppery hints
- Orange
- Very, very vague ocean brine

Throughout the day (up to 12 hours later) I get wafts and bursts of amber and orange and slight pepper. These bursts make me feel pretty, exotic, and comforted at the same time.

*10/10 rating
*1/10 headache factor - this does not give me a headache.

teilani
teilani

I was online looking for Hiris (on the rec. of a friend) and found this instead. Was prepared to buy the former blind and so opted to do the same for the latter. Even though I realized that they would be very different, this sounded interesting.

When I first smelt it, I was in heaven. Then I sprayed it on me and while early on it was great, it soon soured on my skin. Badly. My chemistry and this scent are like matter and anti-matter. However, I was able to get my mother to try it in an effort to avoid tossing it. On the woman who has been wearing Shalimar exclusively since it was gifted to her ~30 years ago at her baby shower for me, this scent is magical. It smells entirely different on her than me and leaves me pleased to have bought it.

I have tried 24 Faubourg and cannot wear it either, no matter how fantastic it smells before touching my skin. I will get my hands on Hiris yet, and if it is a third Hermes scent I love but cannot wear, I am going to give up on that house.

herreroph
herreroph

In just one word: Masterpiece

zu_misha
zu_misha

I agree with others who say Elixir des Merveilles is a complex, elegant, sophisticated fragrance...definitely not for the faint of heart. For a confident and strong woman or man (as the case may be).

That said, the one word that keeps coming to my head is seductive as opposed to overtly sexy in the Agent Provocateur way but like Renee Russo in the dance sequence with Pierce Brosnan in the Thomas Crown Affair.

Yes,in spite of, but maybe, because of its "dirty" bitter orange mixing with amber notes. I love how I feel wearing it regardless of time of day or season...One of my signature scents from the house of Hermes.

Pbeschi

This is heaven for VIP. marvelous, chic, unique, feminine but strong, gourmand but sophisticated. It doesn't get any better than Hermes, trust me. I love it. Sillage: average - lasting power:9/10 (I am very demanding about lasting power...)

advabart
advabart

Does this remind anybody of a soda drink, or is it only me and my skin chemistry?
Very unusual indeed!

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

To me this has the rubber stamp of quality and definitely smells like a feminine classic. You wouldn't mistake this for anything else. Therefore it might not appeal to most teens or women in their twenties who might want something more simple, fashion conscious or less conventional

Despite the 'foodie' elements it doesn't smell like a gourmand. The orange note is bitter marmalade and the sweet notes of amber gently round this out, but it remains dry and elegant.

There seems to be a sexy musk there which is restrained by the orange note, perhaps it's also the hint of patchouli. I think it's really well balanced and refined, however, like a classic Chanel it's a bit too well-heeled for a slightly casual creative like myself. But if I smelled it on a well dressed woman from her late twenties onwards I'd think she had good taste!

Edit - It's extremely tenacious in the dry down - and very very very dry. I'd say this was a very dry chypre - will smell old fashioned to some, but chypres are making their way back apparently.

saguna

I absolutely love it. I longed for very good orange smell and I found it. It's ideal time to wear it, as Christmas brings us all the scents we almost all love: orange peel, mulled wine, cloves, cardamom, etc.

This perfume smells to me like perfect version of Clinique Happy for men. I like Happy for men, but not for women, and the drydown of Elixir is almost the same as settled Happy. But of course, lasting power is much better and the orange is yummiest ever.

I will definitely recommend it as a safe gift, no one could feel bad about this fragrance, is joyful, young and happy.

Osrockoo
Osrockoo

this perfume is magical i adore it

Woodelf
Woodelf

Elixir de Merveilles is one of those scents that deviates from my usual choice, and for that, I love it. I can't resist this creamy, woodsy blend of citrus peel and deep woods.

Elixir lasts for hours on my skin (a small miracle in itself) and stays true from first spray to last fade. This is a perfectly balanced blend of warm scents - amber, resin, incense, balsam, cedar and oak - all lifted to a creamy sweetness with the caramel, tonka bean, vanilla and orange peel notes. To my delight, the patchouli is just enough to make this delightful mixture feel a little "dirty".

I can understand why Hermes named this Merveilles, because it truly is marvelous! So different from the typical sweet women's scents out there without being masculine - this one is substantial and intoxicating.

muddywater
muddywater

Well, I like " Elixir" more than "Eau Claire des Merveilles—2010" which smells too floral and dry, however this Elixir version smells more pleasant a lil bit sweet. and it is very long-lasting.

I used to be a fan of Hermes, I even tried Terre D'Hermes for men.

But one of my male friend said Elixir smells like perfum for 50 yrs old women...then he gave me another brand of perfum which comes more soft and woody, that turns me to fan of that brand...

I think this version is nice but yet with somewhat sharp and dry scent(maybe that is a problem for all parfums of Hermes, IMO). When I feel down, I would like to use it, coz it is strong and I would be inspired.

For its scent, I think maybe adding more citrus or jasmine scent would be more soft, fresh, mellow and sophisticated...

PolarBear2
PolarBear2

it remains cremy on my skin.... it is that kind of perfume when you simply want to get lost in a crowd

dr3amgap
dr3amgap

This will be a first online blind buy for me, just ordered it at Hermes Canada website, Basing from other reviews it made me so interested that I wanted to have it plus the perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena is my favorite so how can I not like it... Well the waiting game starts today... Will post my first impression, opinion etc. once I have my hands on this perfume.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

I totally agree with Manevitt on that one. It does not smell masculine!! Somehow some women believe that the balmy oriental notes belong on men... Hmm. Why? Same thing with Cedar wood. So many girls think it smells manly!!?? Not on me!

bond_girl1979
bond_girl1979

I would describe this is warm, unisex, earth-spicy and uplifting. Warning: if you prefer the more feminine "pretty" scents, this is unlikely to be your cup of tea. It reminds me of a handful of essential oils named an "uplifting" mix thrown together with a dash of spice, honey and caramel for warmth. This is one that can create a warmth and honey glow aura around you, but again I reiterate - it's VERY unisex, if not borderline masculine. So at this point in time, I'm not sure I put it near the top of my shopping list. One day perhaps...

lisa.m.kasper
lisa.m.kasper

I am going to blame Vie Cafe with ALL my love & affection for sending me a wonderful sample from her private collection and making me fall in love with this! "ELIXER" indeed!

Everyone else has explained their idea of the notes on their skin. To me, this is balmy, amber-orange in the most ethereal way. I am now "wrist addicted".

Luca Turin calls this "bon chic bon genre" and I agree! He also says the process of the drydown is "affecting". Mmm... yes it is.

I was lucky enough to find & order a large 100ml bottle for half what its going for on the Hermes site. I bumped this immediately to the top of my "must have NOW" list (and it's long my friends!)....

I await the postman like a loyal dog awaits his beloved master.

Sassy1
Sassy1

I really like this caramel-orange smoothie. But while I truly do think it's divine, it is definately unisex and honestly, I think it would smell better on a guy.

The drydown has a masculine quality that I can imagine on my honey's neck while I snuggle up...wonderful stuff.

Espi
Espi

Was convinced I'd love Elixir des Merveilles, but in the end, it didn't impress me as much as Eau des Merveilles. Either because I was busy, Eau just fits me better than Elixir or my smelling capacity just plain bad (too much exposure to dairy when you're allergic to it, does this to me).
In a few months it will get another chance!

Eos

Many reviews keep referencing a chocolate note that I simply don't smell. Additionally, I can't find anything official that says there's chocolate in this composition.

Here's what I do smell: Whiffs of ozone and a salty-sweet orange accord over a dark, resinous chypre base. Despite the sweetness, I can't understand how anyone would call this gourmand. This doesn't smell like anything I would want to eat, but it is exactly how I want to smell.

Sillage: 12 feet, city blocks if applied liberally.
Longevity: 10 hours on my skin, days on a scarf.
A dark, chic, slightly soapy, refined, powdery chypre with an interesting cast of unexpected supporting notes. Be warned, strangers are going to ask you what perfume you're wearing.

Aha Fragrance
Aha Fragrance

Orange Chocolate (and I loooove chocolate)and a sense something sparkling (almost champagneish) and refreshing in this fragrance is what I get from it when I tried it; it also reminds me of Christmas! I feel luxurious and expensive as well as comfortable and cosy at the same time when I wore it and I love that about it. It's a gorgeous fragrance.

bleuciel
bleuciel

Ah, the notes seem so promising and enchanting, but alas, I cannot smell it! I have the same problem with all Elixirs. Am I the only one in this situation? I spray it on my wrist and I smell nothing. Nothing at all. And on paper, I sense something, but something non-descript so I can't know whether I like it or not.

Such a shame!

napoleonica
napoleonica

One more among my favorites.This is really an elixir for olfatory sense.Stunning and long lasting.

Jarrah
Jarrah

Relly nice, not my favorite but nice and works great in winter

meligonlan
meligonlan

Elixir des Merveilles is a genius creation by Jean Claude Ellena. It reminds me of Christmas Joy. The snow, gingerbread cookies, pine tree, pumpking pie.... I adore the smell and how it actually makes me feel I'm traveling back in time to those Xmas mornings when I was a kid but unfortunately it only lasts 2 to 3 hrs in my skin :(

caseyu
caseyu

wow, so many reviews!!! for what it's worth, this is nice, not my favorite, right now it's Roberto Cavalli's new one, but alone the same lines. would rather invest in Cavalli...just for the record, i get no "burning rubber" or old lady here... warm and spicy, slightly sweet, and good for cool evenings out.

MyNoirBeehive
MyNoirBeehive

I really like this but my mother says that she feels like she's hanging out with a fella when I wear this. Sigh. A little masculine, I guess...

fanhermes
fanhermes

Oh1 I forgot to say that I love the way it smells in all weathers! Wore it last summer and winter and I must say that it does smell fantastic, long-lasting, not too sweet in the summer! Just make sure you spray your clothes, not your skin! I found that on my clothes it has a very elegant smell and somehow restrains itself according to the weather!

Eos

I tested this the other day and left the store thinking "this is great, but I already have Eau, I don't really NEED both." I walked down the street to another store and on my way was stopped by a gentleman who wanted to know what perfume I was wearing. After telling him and directing him to the store I'd just come from, I continued down the block to another store. While shopping in that store I was asked by another customer, a sales assistant AND the cashier what perfume I was wearing and/or where they could buy it. I cannot tell you how dumbfounded I was by the positive reactions: 4 in the span of 45 minutes! I've been complimented on perfumes before but nothing like this. I wouldn't believe if it hadn't have happened to me. I'm clearly going to have to go back for this too.

ellenwalsh
ellenwalsh

I like the eau de merveilles very much, but the elixer smells like burning rubber. took me a full day to figure out what was that scent I didn't like. burning rubber.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

Elixir des merveilles is much deeper and richer in it's opening than it's counterpart, Eau des merveilles. The amber notes resonate and add a wonderful warmth to the bright, salty notes. As it dries down, it begins to resemble Eau version. Both are very good fragrances; this one is simply warmer and deeper.

anettelove
anettelove

This one is an absolutely beautiful haunting classic kinda fragrance !I remember smelling this on a passer by a few years back and she was so startled when I pursued her to find out what it was. I have bought 3 bottles since. I love the freshness of it, it's not floral. I find it quite a sexy scent, and while it has a masculine kick to it, I absolutely love it. A real lingerer. Fantastic.

pepe7111
pepe7111

i love most of the HERMES products -except VOYAGE DE HERMES due to its poor longevity - and this is greta hwn it comes to my skin chemistry,,,so i wear it as often as i can.

Jean-Claude Ellena is a genius, especially in regards to composing his fragrances using a wide range of ingredients, some that you would never believe could go hand in hand.

Elixir des Merveilles is a lot bolder and richer than Eau des Merveilles, and in some ways, a touch more masculine. It opens with aromatic orange peel, foody caramel and chocolatey accords. Before jumping on the gourmand bandwagon, Elixir des Merveilles settles rapidly into a musky, and slightly soapy woods and orange blend.

This complex blend keeps me intrigued throughout Elixir des Merveilles' development. The soapiness that I'm referring to is not necessarily clean smelling, but more like the sharp scent of laundry powder. This is the point where I praise this fragrance to the high heavens, but admit that it does absolutely nothing for me when I wear it.

I've worn Elixir des Merveilles twice now, and I can honestly say that it's unique and beautiful, yet disturbing at the same time. It's that mish-mash of sugar meets masculine citrus, then along the way bumps into bitter dark chocolate and earthy woods. Confusing at best, but still an absolute masterpiece, but unfortunately one that isn't for me.

The drydown was a lot more powdery than I thought it would be, but I openly welcomed the slightly more feminine finish. Due to its heavy nature, I would personally wear it in the cooler months, but if applied with a light hand, I suppose it could wear well during Summer too.

Despite Elixir des Merveilles not turning out to be something that I personally considered bottle-worthy, I'm not at all disappointed. Sometimes it's the scents that don't quite work for you, that stay in your mind the longest.

Heverton
Heverton

Elixir des Merveilles is in my opinion a good fragrance where we have a creamy orange smell giving a sweet comforting scent, but it is unbalanced compared to Eau des Merveilles which in my opinion have much more versatility than this one. Anyway, a good fragrance leaned more towards the feminine side but does not stand a chance when compared to Eau.

marrojas
marrojas

Brilliant....a master piece definitely

Hands down, this marvelous EDP definitely took me off guard and that's not an easy or often thing to happen with a guy who have more then 200 fragrances in his arsenal..!!
To be more specific this perfume climbed the whole way to become my signature scent.This fragrance opens with smell of orange peel, which will last throughout the duration of this fragrance, but after few minutes only the top orange feminine note disappears and you will smell siam resin that mixed with sandalwood and Oak .. The rest of the combination are surrounding those major four notes, which gives this perfume unique mind blowing smell. I fall in love with this perfume with the first whiff.

The only down side of this perfume is that Hermes House released it as a feminine perfume where Elixir des Merveilles is actually "Unisex" perfume without doubt!

Well done Hermes for making this Masterpiece.

walkinroundtown
walkinroundtown

The Elixir still has the clean, soapy scent of the Eau but with a different twist on the citrus accord. The Eau, to me, smells more zesty and a little more subtle. In the Elixir, it's more like a candied orange that sits right next to (if not on top) of the powdery soapy scent. To be more specific, the orange smells like one those sweet, buttery, creamy orange and cream swirled hard candies. I love both the Elixir and the Eau. I would consider them both unisex fragrances. As a woman, if the Eau was too masculine for you, than the Elixir may work out better. I consider the Elixir a more sultry and voluptuous version of the Merveilles fragrances. It's delicious.

Singabera
Singabera

I do have both - Elixir and Eau des Merveilles.
Elixir is really much more sweeter, balmy, less cologne, less masculine, less sharp.
Elixir is perfect for cold weather and winter holidays. Eau is good all year round.

Scarlette
Scarlette

I bought it, loved it for 4 days (and I mean, "We need to be alone" love....addiction). I would put it on over, and over, and over throughout the day...

Then started I feeling sick when I wore it, as I could smell ground out cigarettes & old Rum...Huh?

I couldn't get it out of my nose or head, so I had to get it out of my house!

Sorry to all lovers...I once loved it too. Probably still would if I still smoked.

Hallo_smiling
Hallo_smiling

i found it georgous !! i love it ! but it is really spicy .. not too fruity as i thought .. but any way i love it ! ideal for winter :)

Great scent but on my skin it turn male-ish. I have problem with some parfum's that turn male-ish, I cant wear Light Blue or Knowing - gets uacky on my skin - and this one goes the same way. On paper this one is georgious.

Härlig doft men på mig slår den över till manligt. Jag har problem med flera dofter tex light blue och Knowing- de blir hemska när jag spreja på dem. När jag sprejar denna doften på papper så är det en helt underbar doft.

pippab
pippab

Elixir des Merveilles is a unique, well balanced, heavenly oriental. I seem to sense a bit of pepper although it's not listed in the notes. Time after time Hermes produces fragrances that are so amazingly refined and sophisicated.

There's a certain something that consistently keeps this perfume house in the upper echelon of cutting edge designers. Very good projection and staying power - it's absolutely divine!

emi
emi

This is a Big One. I really enjoy that lucious smell of orange hard candies with sweet juicy filling on amazing patchouli-woody base. This may not be very complicated smell but it is definitely original and beautiful one. The lasting power is enormous, I can smell it for over 10 hours and the projection is extraordinary as well. I must admit that I have never worn as long-lasting perfume as this one. Bottle is something that I would put on my shelf with pride - I really love that orange piece of glass. This fragrance is worth recommendation for sure and I will purchase it sooner or later I hope.

abk1974
abk1974

it is definetly the one for me.Its smells so expensive and sofisticated. For very special ocasions only. it is so balmy and calming but still lets you know its there and last and last. And this is my first review here

Margo2000
Margo2000

I just start learning about Hermes fragrances. All of them have such a distinctive note. I still did not get it. I tried this one in duty free in 2007 in extrelemy hot summer day and did not like it at all. Recently in Nordstrom SA offered me to try it again and I pretended that I am not familiar with this. I could not stop smelling my wrist. I fell in love. It's definetely winter fragrance.

stella-00
stella-00

ok, first i must say- i absolutelly adore nearly all the perfumes from Hermes. at least all of them by JC Ellena.

Des Mervilles is the best ( for me, i like it as much as poivre Samarcande). but there is a difference between Elexir and Eau des mervilles. Elexir is NOT a stronger version of Eau des mervilles. It is has a very severe sweet note that stands out. These 2 'relatives' are very close, but Elexir ticks all 'very' boxes. I always have 2 of them, but still prefer EAU D M, as it is more fresh and 'airy', while Elixir is sweet-heavy, overpowering in a way....

This is the only perfume of the Merveilles series that I like. It's very masculine, yet not in the spicy way of Eau des Merveilles. Elixir is sweeter and seems to contain woods dripping with gooey tree sap. At times I think this really just smells like men's cologne, but when I try to imagine a man wearing it, it seems somehow too feminine. I think it's just the women's fougere I'd always hoped I'd find. Lasting time seems long. I woke up in the morning, and when I smelled it I felt like I'd spent the night with a really sexy guy who left his scent on my bed sheets, haha.

Helsinki
Helsinki

Butter, butter, butter.
Would be a better, better, better fragrance without the penetrating butter accord. I never anticipated that a Hermes could succeed in causing me nausea.

Małgoś
Małgoś

Very "fougere", very classy. And I do not have an impression of spiciness, at least on my skin. This is a strong fragrance - full of character, on the luxurious side. Warm, too. To me though, it is too unisex, and does not make me feel too ...coquette (so, I thought it perfectly appropriate for business meetings, when you do want to make an impression).

tamara123
tamara123

I love this perfume. Best fragrance for winter time. And the smell stays for long time. Please those who loves masculine smells, but still wants to stay really feminine.
love it. have it. :)

jedikitty
jedikitty

Elixir des Merveilles by house of Hermès

To be honest, this one is a bit of a challenge to describe, so I did the next best thing and read your reviews before typing in mine.

Cold Coke with a slice of orange... Smoky orange with a touch of dirt from under pine needles... Not so great smelling praline... Somewhat gourmand, not quite fougère... this composition is as complex as it is quite hard to explain.
I agree with many of you stating that it could easily be considered unisex.

As for why I got a big bottle of this juice? Well, mainly because I am a curious cat, and also because there seems to be a dire lack of minis of this fragrance.
I am sure, if I asked around, someone on Fragrantica would spare me a tester vial but, you know what? Sometimes you just have to give into temptation, and treat yourself. So I did. Blindly. Based solely on your reviews.

Am I sorry I spent a small fortune on a nicely sized bottle of Elixir des Merveilles? Not at all. It suits my 50+ Capricorn personality rather well.

I do agree this scent is not for everyone and, frankly, it was not exactly a love from first sniff for me, either. But I gave it time... and the romance just developed on its own.

I believe, Elixir des Merveilles is a cold(er) weather scent, spicy-sweet but not sugary, a bit smoky, a bit like a nice sniffer of orange brandy on a cold wintry evening, and a bit... sweaty? At least that is what I get at drydown and I am not crazy about that bit, but, thankfully, it is just a scintilla really, something that is somewhat familiar, yet not repulsive. Maybe that is the bitter note some of you mentioned. Maybe this is what patchouli and caramel mix smells like... Or maybe the oak... See? Not easily described. Perhaps that is why I am so strangely attracted to this scent, because it is so very different from the flowery compositions that fill fragrance counters this time of the year. Mind you, my other all-time favorites are Dior "Miss Dior" and Trussardi "Skin". So, there you have it, an impulse buy turned another hit, and that is all one can really hope for when purchasing a big bottle of an unknown fragrance, purely on instinct.

One thing for sure, it is not a "girly" fragrance, and not a typical feminine one, either. But I have always been a bit of a tomboy with penchant for power tools and home repairs...
If you are curious, a bit adventurous, and an oddball like me, you will find Elixir des Merveilles to your liking.

Lasting power - excellent.
Sillage - rather close to the skin, but it seems to come and go in gentle waves.

ducktuck
ducktuck

I tried this for the first time today, and love it.
Warm, spicy and perfect for my nose. The notes are hard to pinpoint but I get amber surrounded by orange, but not your typical citrus zest this is darker, like dark orange chocolate. It's cozy, smooth, decadent, and unique. TRY IT! Great Sillage, and lasts all day.

id
id

Very distinct and special. It is best for cold season to feel all the beauty of this fragrance. It has originality and character. Good longevity always is a plus too. Siam resin is very well blended here and the incense note doesn't annoy me as I'm not a huge lover of it but here everything is composed for a full comfort and satisfaction. Highly recommended for all (at least for testing purposes).

zapling
zapling

Powdery and old-fashioned, that's all I have to say about Merveilles right now. I appreciate the complexity and sillage but I think myself at least 15 years too young for this Elixir.

Catty

I just bought my 3rd Flacon. This perfume is heaven! so different, but it´s not for everyone . . .it´s a strong perfume with such personality!

I just love it!

Turtledove
Turtledove

I can't BELIEVE how different this is on paper compared to my skin. On paper, it smells like a very bright, sparkling citrus and not much else, with a hint of woods underneath. When I wear it, it turns much darker and earthier, even bitter, with just a few sparkles of orange zest. So my experience of this may be a bit different.

The first thing I get from it is orange zest and a zing of herbal, spicy resin over something deep, dark and a little smokey. It's dusty, dark and rich, a little like cocoa but not, it's a bit earthier than that, like the dirt under layers of pine needles.

The evergreen/resin scent is strong all the way through, as is the dusty/earthy quality, although more subtle. Towards the drydown I get a hint of dusty caramel sweetness that takes the edge off of the bitter resin, but does not smell very nice when it stands out on its own. There's also a note of incense, and together with the dark wood notes, it makes me think of something ancient, it seems like something that could have come out of the renaissance.

This is deep and special, but probably not for everyone, it definitely has a bitter, herbal side. It could really be unisex too. I could see this being really nice on a man. But at the same time, I didn't feel like I was wearing men's cologne when I wore it, so I think it would work well for women too.

On me, this is a dark and brooding kind of scent, despite its warmth. It's well suited to a cold winter night, it even has that tinge of smokiness like winter air. Actually, the first time I tried it, I was starting to really dislike it, but I left it on anyway. When I walked outside into the cold, rainy night, BOOM. It was perfect. There was almost a coziness to it, strangely, it made it feel like the holidays.

evilspin
evilspin

This is amazing on women. & ladies...this smells believe it or not, well on guys as well. I bought this for my Mom on mothers day and I loved it on her. Its NOT grandmaish and its not floral nor rich bitch type. Its perfect. Keeps you wanting to whiff some more. Lasts all day and night. Even after you shower. How do I know? well I loved it on my mom so much that i sprayed it on my neck by the jaw line area (best location for fragrances since the pulse and heat activate it most and reach others noses when you walk by) the entire day and night, people kept asking me what cologne is that? Even at the gym, mall and went out with friends. I was of course a little embarrassed to mention it was considered a womans perfume...so I just said Hermes lol. Guys PH seem to enhance up the wood notes and makes this fragrance butch up. I got so many compliments by men & woman when I wear it.

sophia33
sophia33

I tested this perfume this weekend. I am in love! I tried Eau des Merveilles, I like it too. Because I am not wealthy, I put elixer on one arm and eau on the other. I am a cautious buyer, I left the store and told the SA that I wanted to wear them both for rest of day and then come back and make a decision. The Eau was great, but it wore off quicker. The Exlier appeared a little softer and lastest all night. I think I am going to get the Elixer because it will last all day. I love perfumes made by the older perfume houses. Acqua di Parma, Chanel, Givenchy, YSL, Dior and now Hermes.

I love Coco Mademoiselle. However, as I approach my 40's, I am thinking that I want something more womanly. Hermes Elixer des Merveilles seems to provide that.

For those that have it though, I do want you opinion on this. The only way I would buy Eau des Merveilles is because I live in the tropics for the time being. For me Eau des Merveilles did wear off me really quickly, so I think for my body chemistry, Elixer may be best. However, I would love to get the thoughts of others.

That said, I know that either Eau or Elixer are going to be my new signature scents.

zabica
zabica

Once upon a time I had this marvelous perfume called Versus V/S .. I accidentally stumbled upon it, and fell in love instantly! Of course, like with all great perfumes, it was discontinued .. why? Who knows..

I tried Elixir some days ago and was like .. WOW, it's like my V/S!! To me, they smell so much alike - don't want to diminish it in any way, but that's the smell of cold Coke with slice of orange! And I absolutely love it! Longevity on my skin is simply amazing.. aura wise - not a killer, but very very noticeable! Try it .. it is so special.

jtd
jtd

Elixir des Merveilles is an almost, almost, not-quite. How fun that Hermès, with its emphasis on luxury, taste and class distinction, the first step to which is clear identifiability to those who desire them, would make such a neither/nor fragrance. Orange peel, but not edible (almost gourmand.) Chewy, resinous woodiness (almost oriental.) A tonka basenote that takes the edge off the sweetness (not quite fougère.)

There is a density, a viscosity that suggests something highly caloric, but I think is more of an illusion of orange over a dense peru balsam, incense and a cedar-like sandlewood. (Assumedly Australian sandlewood. If so, a wonderful use of what has been considered the poor cousin to the depleted mysore sandlewood.)

The risk is that Elixir might read as indistinct. The upshot is that it suggests an ambiguity that can be very alluring, and as most men tend to steer clear of ambiguity in fragrance, perhaps Elixir would make a great men's fragrance.

ajblondie
ajblondie

I was actually looking at testing Kelly Caleche when the SA suggested I give this one a try and I am so glad that she did, I fell for this one hook line and sinker and could justify a full bottle as its so completely different to anything else in my collection.
This smells expensive and classy and is not for 20 somethings wanting to smell pink and girly.
This has so much depth to it and the dry down is to die for. The sparkling top notes also took my breath away, I did not expect to fall for a perfume that smelt of oranges and chocolate, yummy.
I regret that I was cautious and only bought the 50ml and did not go for the 100mls as I suspect that this will be purchased again.

Vamy69
Vamy69

Yum yum and more yum! Warm, bitter, spicy and fantastic. I love this! It reminds me of walking into a candy store with all the different candies like the cinnamon red hots, licorice, chocolate covered orange gummies etc. I would love to wear this during the fall/winter and over the holidays. FABULOUS! Thanks Jillzilla!

thatbrownelf
thatbrownelf

At the risk of seeming to parrot others' reviews, Elixir de Merveilles is truly a unique fragrance, and should be at least sniffed. I normally can't wear citrus in the least bit--it immediately turns to floor cleaner upon hitting my skin. Needless to say when my fave SA suggested I try this, I was leery.

My fears were for naught though, as the orange peel in EdM is less being hosed with orange juice but more taking a bite into a bittersweet chocolate-dipped orange confection. The orange is prominent and at first blast a little sweet, but it immediately scales back as the dark chocolate note melds with it. As the scent dries down the chocolate disappears and is replaced with salty caramel with a backdrop of bitter, dry woods. A dash of vanilla and tonka adds a hint of sweetness to what has become a nearly masculine fragrance. Intriguing.

All in all I find Elixir de Merveilles a bit mercurial, and borderline bipolar as it straddles the line between sweet-gourmand and austere-masculine. Being a stereotypical Gemini this is perfectly fine. I've received many compliments on EdM, and it will remain at the forefront of my scent rotation despite my heavy oriental leanings.

Grottola
Grottola

I don't really know how to describe this one because it's so unique.

All I can say is that Elixir des Merveilles is woody, resinous, sweet, and sappy (like pine sap) all at the same time. To me it's more of a sunny oriental because of the prominent orange note, but there's so much shit going on here that it's tough to classify. Elixir actually kinda reminds me of the smell of a Lush store (just not as annoyingly overbearing).

I prefer this to the original Eau des Merveilles (which is a decent fragrance in its own right). Definitely try this unsung wonder - it lasts ages and definitely has a lot in store.

olga1780
olga1780

This is a very unique fragrance........the best way to describe it is bittersweet, warm and zesty at the same time. A great touch to add mystery around yourself on a cold evening out. It has great sillage so you can be rather stingy with spraying it.

Elise1214
Elise1214

Whether you are male or female, you can wear this fragrance, and smell wonderfully doing so!

Unique, fresh yet warm, and sophisticated is this best way to explain this fragrance.

buvcus
buvcus

definetly perfect for winter. I just adore it.

Mad-Lainey
Mad-Lainey

I have tested the fragrance thanks to a VERY generous swap with The_Perfume_Diva! Thank you so much Sister! :-)
But getting to the point; unlike some of you, I smell no chocolate or caramel whatsoever. I am even more concerned about my olfactory bulbs as I can hardly detect any orange, just a hardly noticeable echo of a zesty lemon peel.
What I smell the most, however, is an old oak coffret hidden in the loft of a Victorian house, filled with incense. I can also smell powerful resin and balsam - like a chunk of not fully seasoned wood exposed to elements and filled with bits of thick, sticky, aromatic resin every here and there.
Elixir Des Merveilles makes my olfactory bulbs go mad, I have never smelled anything like this ever before. I deeply fell in love with it since I sprayed it for the first time yesterday.
I spent the whole day and night wearing it and felt so self-confident and so unique.
It has a potential to become my No.1 but I shall wait and wear it in different seasons and weather conditions before that happens.
I rate it 11/10 as it has exceeded my expectations and surprised me in the most unusual way and because silage and lasting power are better than I anticipated.

Nuriyarose
Nuriyarose

do i the only one that notice that its very similar to the known Fendi Theroma ? isnt it?

Akahina
Akahina

For me this starts off with a nice citrus peel smell but dry, not juicy, perhaps a bit bitter. Something is modifying the citrus opening and I can't tell if it is something woody like cedar, oak, incense or something else. In the middle stages I get the cedar, resin, orange, amber and patchouli, all working together in a complex harmony. No one scent really comes to the front and yet they all work together so well...a symphony. As it dries down it feels more feminine to me, but the cedar makes it more masculine. I am a man and I will wear this. Below, Cathy said it as well as could be stated, "sophisticated and refined". Wish I had said that! Another Jean-Claude Ellena masterpiece.

And here I am a day later and I can still smell this in my wrist. That says quality.

Oh, the bottle is drop dead gorgeous too.

Revision: I have used my tester up and find this to be a nearly perfect scent for me. I love how this smells on me, even after dancing in the club for four hours. Finishes well and never went away. Not as powerful as my dancing partner's scent (Le Male) but it held it's own all evening. Love the woody/cedary ending, still with just a hint of orange and incense. Beautiful and masculine enough for a man yet sweet enough for a woman. More men should wear this...NO, WAIT! It's mine, you can't have it!

Revision 2: I can't live without this. I bought it today. In my top 5.

eid-althani
eid-althani

smelles like nutella mixed with fresh and orange zest yum 2 words in luv

Catty

What a good surprise this scent!!! I bought it today, and when it was sprayed upon myself, I thought immediately, for the 1st notes,that it could be also a male scent.

It´s a choco-vanilla scent very very modern, classy/elegant but at the same time wearable at any time of the day, due to the freshness of the orange notes. It´s not a overpowering, "screaming-nauseous" scent such as Angel and many others. Elixir is much more sophisticated and refined, very well structured such as a french classic.

If you want to smell very upper-class, sexy and rich at any time of the day, you have to try it.

Elixir de merveilles is definitely among my top 5 now. Today, I´m very glad, that we knew each other for ever.

sf2explus
sf2explus

mans opinion wow this is so nice very strongs the scent goes through walls. very nice a little soapy/shower gel vibe is there i smell oranges as well very classy and casual at the same time i reccomend girls over 21 and not any younger. this should be the womens ADG.

kerini
kerini

There's something disturbing, unsettling about Elixir des Merveilles.
All those woods, patchouli, balms and resins swirling unruly around the completely out of place foody elements - a creamy bitter-sweet orange dessert dumped unceremoniously into an ancient potion.

The scent develops from woody-balmy-vivid over orange-perfumy to ambery-vanilla.
Overall it feels too contradictory, strong and unnatural for my liking.
Just gotta love the distinct amber and oak though!
It lasts a little short of 11 hours on me.

---
Update:
I've found a certain appreciation for Elixir des Merveilles. It's different and fascinating even though it still isn't everyday-me. Perfect for when a dramatic mood strikes. It seems slightly less conflicting now that I've gotten used to the idea.

---
Note to self:
Keep it away from clothes for at least 5-10 minutes after spraying. It turns really harsh on fabric.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

At first I smell a lot of incense and cloying sweet fruit, with the expected ambergris note appearing quickly. The gourmand opening side of the fragrance is odd, and not very appealing, sort of like a mashed up piece of maple-iced doughnut that’s been sitting around in a plastic bag, forgotten for a week.

However, before long, the bitter, aromatic orange peel takes over, along with the ambergris, making for a lovely, strong, sharp, very dry, almost fizzy, “perfumey” scent. It’s as if the scent of ambroxan had been whittled down to a needle-sharp point. Elixir is strong, so just a tiny dab is enough to produce mega-sillage for a few hours, but it’s thin and transparent, like a crinkly, golden net veil rather than a dip in the warm ocean. Once it reaches this point, it stays linear, gradually fading away over the course of 6-8 hours.

My favorite part of the evolution is the phase in which the orange peel and ambergris are both present, but I’m not crazy about what comes before or after.

Siv55

Forgot to say this stuff has incredible staying power. Still detectable after washing. Absolutely will last all day. And night. Becomes more feminine towards the end of it's lifespan.

Bvlgari could learn a thing or two from this, given that their range evaporates into nothing after only a couple of hours.

balzac
balzac

Orange, Orange and more Orange, with a great patchouly linger that's light balmy (after dry-down) very much an incense sillage. Definitely Unisex...it reminds me of my father. Very nice.

@ caliking. I'm loving the fact that anyone over 21 is VERY MATURE :D

I struggle to tell the difference between this and Eau des Merveilles. They appear to be exactly the same. Smelt at the same time, I can perhaps detect that the Elixir is a little bit thicker and heavier, but it's not worth worrying about. Buy whichever. Both are very woody and distinctive. They are unisex as far as I'm concerned. Long-lasting.

Just sniffed wrist again. On balance, think Elixir drys down a little softer?

Oh they're the same. I don't know. I give up.

caliking
caliking

THIS IS STRAIGHT UP CLASS RIGHT HERE
SO BEAUTIFUL
VERY MATURE ONLY 21 AND UP MAYBE EVEN 25 AND UP
AND ONLY FOR SPECIAL OCCASIONS

Peridot75
Peridot75

I received this blind buy in the mail yesterday... sprayed some on before bed time and woke up this morning in love! My first impression was that it was a bit masculine for my taste...but then it slowly evolved into a delicious warm,creamy,orange,fresh balsam woody scent...did I say I was in Love!! This was my first foray into the house of Hermes...looking forward to knocking on its doors again!

Ghosty
Ghosty

One of my favourite perfumes. The scent is unique and attractive for others - very ofter I am asked what I'm wearing.
Elixir is not typical feminine scent, however, that makes it chic.

Angel10

Just got back from buying this! Have doused myself in it...oh yes, oh yes! We need to be alone now.

Katrusya31
Katrusya31

I like it and very much. this perfume like an orange liquer..mmmmmm tasty....

Angel10

Tigerlillian, your eloquence takes my breath away. You truly are a great writer.

Your eloquence also takes my money away!!!
I'm going to buy this at Holt's right now!

You should be a rep for a Fragrance line....they would make a killing!!

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

When I wear this I'm first transported to an antique bookstore:

Musty tomes lining the shelves; sweet sandalwood boxes polished with bitter orange wax; sachets of white cedar shavings to keep the moths from nibbling on the yellow tinted pages.

A gold embossed title winks at me from a corner shelf, illuminated with filtered sunlight--I take it down and sit cross legged on the floor. Engrossed in the adventures I'm reading of, I suddenly remember how thirsty I am and take a can out of my satchel.

Crack! A gentle fizz of cream soda floats through the air.

A parallel universe, Fantasia perhaps where wishes become reality with each page. I feel like I'm Bastian with a stolen volume from Carl Coriander's bookstore.

Magical, youthful, lively and rich. Unfolds like a Never Ending Story.

Udaria
Udaria

To be applied lightly - it is quite strong.

Mmmm, yummy and elegant, for dressed-up occasions.

I am getting a lot of orange peel and something chalky.

This would be a winter scent for me, whereas the Eau des Merveilles is for all seasons, and usable for non-dressy occasions also.

JubliantUvula
JubliantUvula

Orange dipped in chocolate... yum!
I get a bit of a boozy note now and then.
Very much a comfort fragrance!
Settles woodsy on my skin and I have not found it to have the lasting power that everyone seems to adore, 3hr maybe?

fragaholic79
fragaholic79

The bottle is enough to lure you in. Beautiful.
The composition only works in cold weather on my skin. Opens up very masculine and then turns into this bitter orange peel dipped in Christmas spices dark bitter chocolate and biscuits.The biscuit note is the strongest on me and stays till the drydown. Its rich and thick, without being too foody or gourmand.

fanny
fanny

O mama.
Here is a scent for the bold and the cozy all in one.
Never encountered a scent so contradictionary nor excentric.

Elixer des Merveilles feels like wearing lots of diamonds on the beach, having strawberries and chocolat for dinner and wearing a tuxedo while shopping late at night in a supermarket.

I love it, but it took some time to grow on me:
Rebellious and Chique!

maggles
maggles

Extremely masculine at first. As it mellows, it gets better: bittersweet oranges and a Christmas tree smell. Glad I only have a mini; I don’t see myself wearing this often. [2/5]

fragoleconcrema
fragoleconcrema

Very orangy and a tad spicy, and very VERY long-lasting. I might be inclined to categorise this as an autumn-winter perfume, but it's versatile enough to be worn all year long. Absolute favourite fragrance of the moment.

Lilyth
Lilyth

I weared Eau des Merveilles in 2004 on a NY party. That time i could not imagine another way to wear it. It was too complicated to me that time.
Half-a-year ago bought Elixir des Merveilles to remind that party and put it on shelf.
A month ago i've started to use it and till now i mad about it. Depending on weather i wear different scents, but this perfume i wear every day independently of temperature or humidity.
I love it anytime.

sofiii
sofiii

Elixir Des Merveilles is a drier sweeter version of the original Eau des Merveilles and with more depth as well. In the beginning. It’s medicine-like but without the herbal bitter medicine quality, it is dry, it is bitter, it has a quality that leaps off your skin and blooms in the air in an elegant woodsy way. Somewhat it gives me similar goose bumps as the beginning of the song ‘If Everyone Cared’ gives me several years ago.

Elixir Ds Merveilles is quite linear. It has the ‘quite’ but Hermes-ness you can find in many of the Hermes perfumes made after 2000, it’s not loud in any ‘normal’ floral way, but it is strong and full of personality; it is easy to wear due to the great quality of ingredient, it doesn’t yell out its name with any synthetic plastic feeling, instead, it seduces you into keep on sniffing it by its comforting high-quality orange soap clean feeling.

The dry down is to die for, to me, it is the perfect soap scent you can smell from the packaging of a great soap, plus a faint hint of bitter muted orange scent, and a very very tiny hint of soft, nice jasmine kinda white flower hint; it’s not really powdery, it’s just clean, round in an ivory-soap way.

I would highly recommend Elixir Des Merveilles to anyone for daily use.It’s seemingly quite but with personality.
Eventhough I find Elixir Des Merveilles is quite unisex,I would say it might be easier for a guy to pull this off, if the ‘normal’ this days for girls are more like those sweet florals; but I would definitely stop and compliment a girl if I smell her wearing Elixir, because it's such a lovely, and merveilles choice!

its very elegant sparkling orange note its dominated but in good vey very good fragrance

Attawapiskat
Attawapiskat

This smells like Christmas, trees and all. The orange is very apparent, then dries down to a very masculine note.

Mtsk
Mtsk

Ever one of my favorite fragrances. Long lasting, weird and such different from other fragrances. Surely I will repurchase it!!!

Cereza
Cereza

What I am completely sure of is that I like this one much better than Eau des Merveilles which reminded me a tiny bit of air freshnerer.
Elixir des Merveilles is something, on the other hand, I enjoy on my wrist very much. For me it opens with green and tiny bit sharp orange peel which balanses nicely together with sweetness of sandalwood.
When it slowly "adds" it's other notes I feel more and more amazed - for my skin the next comes chocolate, mostly something "praline" like. There still is the freshness of orange, but chocolate lingers now and then and gives unique sweetness/bitterness melody, at some point it's sweet, then it's bitter, then again sweet.
What's this? Incense? Yes, it lingers now and then, but it's so perfectly blended together with all the other notes that it's almost unnoticable and quietly shows her face in some moments when she wishes to. The same thing does patchouli. Now and then there is this medical feeling from patchouli, but never too much and never the way to say "ok, this smells medical".

In overall - on me it's mostly orange dipped in chocolate with all the other notes showing themsleves now and then. It is a tiny bit masculine, but only in the best way.
I was afraid that I would have the same experience as with Eau des Merveilles, but, no, no, no.

Elixir des Merveilles is potent, not foody, sparkling and very lovely fragrance for hot weather (yes, I said it, no christmas or warmness in this one for me) and way better choice for those who found eau des merveilles like something "nothing special". Because this is, ehm, special.

Jaki
Jaki

Love this. Warm and spicy and interesting ,lasted very well on my dry skin, I had one spray at the store I was testing it at and could still smell it in the morning. Waiting eagerly for payday to come so I can buy it.

maru8862
maru8862

This seems to be a very transformative fragrance... I've read here about members smelling oakmoss, chocolate, caramel, woods... I don't get any of these. To me this is just plain orange and spice, with the orange clearly gaining the upper hand. It's not that I dislike it, but as the reviewer below me said, there's something a bit disturbing about this composition - could be the harshness. It's also a bit too masculine, imo. I have a split relationship to all Hermes scents, so it did not surprise me that I didn't really heart this one either. I'll skip it.

Olefact
Olefact

Made a good impression at first, but I tired of it quickly. Not worth the price. And there is something unpleasant about it. A slightly irritatng scent. It does wake you up though.

mseidoom
mseidoom

I was hoping this would be an orangey-vanilla with a touch of woods. All I got was a heavy dose of patchouli and oak! I will say this, it sure does last!

EDIT:
2 27 14
I got another sample of this to really try it again. It's still very woody, but the scent has grown on me. I still didn't get any of the sweetness that some posters mentioned. If anything, maybe more of a citrus note.

guest_roxanne79
guest_roxanne79

WOW!!!!!!This is perfect. It is masculine, sweet, orange-like smell, I sense vetiver and musk and...I could go on and on!!! Do not try it!!!Please, do not waste your time buying samples or going to mall to sample it. BUY 100 ML of this unique fragrance!!!! And something else! Your man will definetly be noticed if you decide to share...But I doubt you will.

RkrChk
RkrChk

I have to agree with Sherapop: this has major wrist-sniffing potential...I just bought a small bottle of this to 'test drive' and as of yet, I'm not disappointed...I also agree with orangepoppy: it's not as gourmand as I thought it would be, but it IS impressive...I think it can be worn in cooler or warmer weather, tho...I live in a desert climate, and so far, this frag hasn't changed on me...I LOVE the siam resin in this!

Kirancilla
Kirancilla

Tried this out today... it is wonderful and very long lasting. Much stronger than Eau des Merveilles. It is a total "winter" scent though. Smells like Christmas to me. I love it, but I can't wear it NOW - it's august. But I guess that somewhere near November, this will turn into my new favourite.

What a surprise, and what a treat! For some reason I was expecting something bright and orange along the lines of SONIA RYKIEL. Instead, Hermes ELIXIR DES MERVEILLES is a darkly scrumptious and luscious quasi-gourmand oriental perfume featuring a resinous richness redolent of heavily cocoa-laden bitter chocolate studded with bits of candied orange rind.

This is not a confectionary sweet, however, for several other non-foody notes, including incense, patchouli, cedar, sandalwood and oak, blend in to produce this serious elixir--literally! Longlasting, with good sillage and major wrist-sniffing potential.

On my wish list, now!

lialu
lialu

I agree. This scent certainly stands out. It's not for a man but -ish. I love the burnt sugar/orange staying for a long time. Special, different, classy. Better than eau the merveilles. Holds its own. :-) Daring. So nice with a modern scent that maks a statement. Love the bitter orange/orange marmalade

MsMaryO
MsMaryO

Elixir des Merveilles is like no other scent I've ever experienced. I love the beautiful opening notes. It's so well blended that it's difficult to pick out single notes, but the sugared (and slightly salty) orange and caramel are definitely the ones I get. Then it dries down to a slightly masculine woodsy scent. It is easily be worn by a female but the cedar gives it a masculine influence. Many people may not even notice the cedar, but to my nose even the slightest hint of cedar is masculine, so I don't think I could wear this except for very special occasions. There is no denying the exceptional quality of it, though. It is a masterpiece from beginning to end.

Manya
Manya

Pine woody notes - check
Cinnamon and spice - check
Orange marmalade - check

I can't believe they just went and bottled Christmas!

A very festive, magical and unique fragrance that really stands out.

claudia_23
claudia_23

is a beautyfull well blended fragrance i can smell something like sugareg orange that begins to be salty. is sweet and dry very wearable and pleasant.the top notes were kind of strong on me but the drydown get gorgeous.u should be patient with this one because the base notes are the best part for me.

Sissi
Sissi

it's a masculine but a woman can wear this i don't really agree with the note
cards what is the top fruit middle floral and bottem woods it's the other
way around. at first spray woods for the
few couple of seconds. then you get an
orange note and the drydown sweet Caramel with amber very unsual it has a amberish drydown a unique creation indeed i'm not going to debate this does not smell like chocolate it's amberish and caramel. and it's a bit heavy so wear it lightly.

njdeb
njdeb

I guess I'm the opposite of hollycat - I didn't expect to like this as much as I do. This starts out with more of a chocolate scent than orange, which surprised me because of the bottle. Very fine quality European chocolate – sweet, but not too sweet, creamy yet a little dry (dark chocolate?).

As the scent develops, the chocolate becomes more subdued and I get more woods and a soft candied (not tart) orange . Really nicely blended, unique orange chocolate scent. Would be great for special holiday scent, or pretty much any time.

Excellent strength and sillage. This goes on my wish list!

hollycat
hollycat

I was expecting more from this scent. It smellls so similar to Miss Cherie Dior to me. I guess because I get a lot of caramel and oak in the dry down. I do like it, but I dont think its as special as some other reviewers do.

Malegria

This is my second review. The first one was done a couple of years ago and was not very favorable towards the scent. I don`t know what happened, but Elixir des Merveiiles, as a two faced god, showed me his other face and for that I am grateful.

First of all - I think it`s the weather. I tried it first in autumn, and it is not an autumn scent for me.
Spicy-sweet, sweet-spicy,astringent with a touch of a Xmas Miracle. The orange note, being so brutal to me 2 years ago, turned out to be a delicious, sugary-spiced sweet spiral candied peel hanging from a Christmas tree.No, wait. It also repeats a memory of a pine forest ,warmed by the sun...the stump of a magnificent pine with drops of resin melting away under the rays. And me, 5 years old, believing that there is a sprite living under the stump.
A true marvel of a scent. Where was my nose before?

soulsong
soulsong

Discerning the top notes is a little complex. There is a little balsam at first, but it blends so nicely with the vanilla, amber and sandalwood. I love all of these notes when together. The patchcouli is muted by the heart of caramel and woody smells. The orange keeps it light and not overly incensey. It wasn't love at first sniff, but it is interesting, and I don't think I will get bored with it.

wild_strawberry
wild_strawberry

Salty and sweet at the same time. Surprising. Elegant, classy but not in a boring way.

GIVE ME A BREAK
GIVE ME A BREAK

I have recently tested it and....Omg!!!This perfume smells sooo bad that I forgot to thank the seller!It s strong,sharp and I would probably give it to my boyfriend.Not feminine at all.

da_markos
da_markos

Ellena only did this one as good as oryginal masterpiece "eau des merveilles".
Or should i rather say - hey! he menaged to do "elixir" as good as "eau". Main difference i've noticed is this characteristic sweet carmel-orange note.

EternalSunshine7
EternalSunshine7

I was waiting for a very masculine first impression, but I actually smelled a lovely old-fashioned woman's perfume (can't think of which one it reminds me of). Then it very quickly fades and I smell a rather resinous, woodsy aroma mixed with something that smelled "herbal" to my nose. Somewhere amongst this, I smelled a quick hit of Midnight Poison, but without the slightly medicinal+sour-candy edge that I got from MP. A few minutes later, I get a softer degree of woodsy bliss, where I can now smell the beautiful amber...but still NO orange, caramel, or even vanilla to my dismay. It's not as incensy on me as it is woodsy. And though it's woodsy...it's very very smooth to the point that I consider it sexy but comforting. The funny thing is that as woodsy as it is, there is something beautifully perfume-like about it that doesn't make me think masculine or TREEs at all. Ah, now I get a sense of sweetness...but barely. I can't even tell what it is. Compared to other girly scents, it's definitely not your average vanilla/sugar/caramel drizzle. It's the try-and-find-the-sugar-grain variety.

I expected to smell more orange (bec. the bottle makes me THINK orange...), but I only get a deep woodsiness that makes me feel both calm AND excited. (Now how does THAT happen??) The sillage is excellent & so is the staying power (10-11 hours). Definitely NOT for the average woman. Strong, beautiful, mature, and refined.

sky76sky
sky76sky

I seem to be drawn to woody orange fragrances this week :)

Very masculine, with a depthy, warm woodiness that holds down the sparkling zesty orange. It has that spicy, smoky, leatheriness of YSL Nu but with more refreshing orange peel (in fact, as I now sniff them side by side, they are quite similar).

Not to everyone's taste, but I like it because it cuts out a lot of the sugar frosting you get in (orangey) women's fragrances. Lasts forever & follows you everywhere.

rosaria
rosaria

Beautiful packing, wonderful bottle, magic elixir...

Intense, long lasting,it seems to me a perfect combination of orange, vanilla and wood notes.

Every time I wear Elixir de Merveilles I feel elegant, sophisticated and self-confident.

It's one of my favorite scents...

as much as I can't like eau des Merveilles,I like elixir des Merveilles.
it opens with very sweet caramel scent.it's more feminine than Eau D M and it's more playful,although you may find it TOO sweet.
as the time passes the woodsy notes appear and it gets better and better.it makes me feel like I'm in the middle of a forest and then I see a hut made by chocolate(like the story,lol)
I can describe the smelling in two words:Caramel + pine
definitely it's a kind of perfume with personality.it's not typical.it's really elixir in a bottle.

eljayebee
eljayebee

Oohh, I finally understand "sillage". I made the mistake of wearing this for the first time on a work day. A couple hours into the day, my boss tells me,"Jean, I can tell every room you've been in today from the scent you leave behind". Oops. Lasts all day, too. Love it.

krisiva
krisiva

Usually I find it hard to wear Hermes fragrances – they are too complicated and rather strange for my taste, although I am huge fan of the “nose” behind most of them (Jean-Claude Ellena). For a long time I avoided trying Elixir des Merveilles because I though it would be no exception. Recently I received a dozen of vials with Elixir. And what a surprise – I really like this one! In contrast with most of the reviews here, I cannot find any masculine note in it (and I hate any hint of masculinity in a woman’s fragrance). For me it is rich, warm, seductive scent of orange peels, chocolate and amber. The overall composition is quite unusual and original, unlike most of “bestsellers” recently. The top notes are probably a little bit too intense, but the middle notes and dry-down are just perfect. I cannot stop sniffing myself. And the lasting quality is very good. I will go for larger size for sure.

Kama
Kama

I agree with Miss_Nightingale about Elixir… It is intensely masculine perfume!
To be honest I had big expectations but somehow I am disappointed..
At the 1st spray they are like some citrus/woody perfume for men…
I sprayed them on myself hoping that it is just a start with masculine side.. but on my skin it has been from the start till now – masculine.
I expected: orange peel covered with chocolate mixed with some woody notes but instead I could feel only masculine part that had nothing to do with orange peel covered with chocolate…………
They are very strong… and when I was on my way to work I was wondering if it was me, smelling so masculine, or some man was walking just few minutes before.
Then at work my colleague said: Ohh it is your scent…it is strong..I though it was some other man’s scent not yours.. but it is you…it is so heavy masculine scent on me…
Now after wearing it for 6 hours they are more warm and maybe a little orange/vanilla – but very fainted…and still some masculine part is taking the main part…
Then I though that my male colleague will like it…(as it is really masculine one me!) but he said he didn’t like it at all…
Elixir is definitely NONO for me ( I am sorry everyone who loves Elixir).
Well.. I am happy that I have just tried sample and didn’t buy the whole bottle (and I was thinking to buy one..)

louyse
louyse

Love to read the comments on the perfumes but not some of the story books

Miss_Nightingale
Miss_Nightingale

How peculiarly this behaved on my skin; the first impression was intensely masculine - very pleasant all the same, but not what I expected at all! I couldn't detect any of the orange, either, perhaps an extremely faint tang. Mainly I got an extremely long-lasting spicy vanilla accord that had me repeatedly sniffing my wrist. I like it, but I'm not sure it's for me - perhaps because it was so different to what I imagined. Once again, a case of never judging a perfume by reading the list of notes!

Zhara
Zhara

The Hardy Boys hid in the old warehouse for what seemed like hours, waiting for the mysterious man from the luggage company to come back. "Maybe he won't come back at all." Frank said, shuffling his feet on the bottom of the crate. His shoes kicked up fragments of the wood; it was rough-hewn and easily released bits of fragrant sawdust. The crate also smelled of the spices it had contained at one time. It reminded Frank that it had been quite some time since they had last eaten. "Maybe we should just go home and try again tomorrow."

"We have to stay just a little longer." Said Joe. "We have to find out why he was digging out behind the old Merveilles house last week, and if it has any connection Sally's disappearance."

Joe had to admit that things had become rather uncomfortable. Huddled together inside the rough wooden shipping crates, the boys were getting tired, cold, and hungry. They dug through their pockets looking for something to tide them over. Joe had some hard candy, and Frank had a big, succulent orange he had saved from lunch.

"This will have to do for dinner." Said Joe, solemnly, and peeled the orange, releasing it's pungent oil into the dusty night air. He pulled up the collar of his borrowed jacket, which still faintly smelled of his father's favorite soap. "I wish Dad was here." he thought, but kept those thoughts to himself. He did not want to let his brother know that he was scared.

They ate the orange and the candy slowly, silently, as if even the sounds of their chewing would somehow give their location away, hidden as they were in the pile of old spice crates. Together, they waited. Darkness fell.

Suseken
Suseken

A high quality scent.Woody notes mixed with orange.I love it very much.

essija
essija

This is like nothing I have smelled before. It's orange sugary smell are dominant. This sparkles on my skin. I don't know how often I would reach for this though. Just have a sample and I do like it but don't think I have to have it. Orange pop maybe, this reminds me of something else..This is nice to wear to work

PR

It is in general 'denser' sort of, and more smoky (incense, I guess), a bit sweeter. I am not sure if orange is stronger here, but it is definitely more sugary orange than in Eau version. In general they are very similar, the beginning just slightly different. I don't know any similar perfume like it.

isalim
isalim

what are the notes that are more pronounced in the elixir compared to eau de merveilles? Is there a perfume that you would compare this one to?

Boggi
Boggi

I got this and Eau de Merveilles today and I honestly can't smell the difference between them. So there is really nothing more I can say about this than I allready wrote in my review for Eau de Merveilles.

PR

Hooray!!:)elixir des merveilles has became my husband's favorite perfume, he's starting to love it the most from all perfumes I have..I wouldn't foreseen it, ever, at least not from his sour facial expression when he first smelled it. He's shared these news just recently..ok.. now I will start wearing all perfumes he's not a fan of, maybe eventually he'll fall in love with them..:)) joking

Malegria

This one is one of my biggest disappointments.I smelled it on other women and found it very enchanting - like sugared orange peel covered with chocolate and powdered with red chili pepper, very, very sexy! But on my skin it turned out to be nothing else but orange Tums, which of course was nothing what I expected! So I traded it for something else.If you are thinking of purchasing it, try it on your skin - Hermes perfumes, as some other brands as well, pick their mistresses.

Scent lover
Scent lover

It reminds me of Xmas :) This is the scent that is warm, full of evergreen notes that are sweeten by orange peel. The lasting power on me is good. The notes composition is quite unique as all Hermes perfumes. Definitely give it a try :)

guest_january13
guest_january13

I love this scent. Eau de Merveilles is too subtle for me. This one has an edge to it that I like very much and as the time passes, I never get tired of it. It's pretty long-lasting also.

&RY
&RY

This fragrance is wonderful. I like it very much. When I first smelt it, get shocked...

PR

aaah.. but I still love so much more the bottle of Eau des Merveilles, which is just beyond amazing, pure magic. Elixir's bottle is beautiful as well, but I never thought I would ever love the bottle like Eau des Merveilles

PR

The reason why I bought Elixir was that it was stronger and more pronounced than Eau des Merveilles, and I still can't get enough of it. The downside is taht it is not to my husband's taste, but at least he does not hate it

matteomac
matteomac

I love Eau des Merveilles and I love Elixir des Merveilles, too (even if a bit less).

This fragrance is a bit stronger and sparkling than Eau, especially in the orange note which i really like.

Elixir des Merveilles by Hermes 4.02 out of 5 based on 1379 ratings and 229 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Hermes Elixir des Merveilles fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Hermes Elixir des Merveilles, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Elixir des Merveilles by Hermes. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Elixir des Merveilles by Hermes represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.