Designers » F-H » Oriental Spicy « Groups

dislike

I have it: 758 I had it: 118 I want it: 969 My signature: 10

honey
cinnamon
Hermessence Ambre Narguile Hermes for women and men Pictures Hermessence Ambre Narguile Hermes for women and men Pictures

Created in 2004 by Jean-Claude Ellena, Hermessence is a collection of unique fragrances conceived as olfactory poems using perfuming’s most exclusive elements. As sober and intense as Japanese haiku, they reinvent a nature that is as precious as it is unusual, as if rendered by the inspired writing of a composer in search of the new. Enriched each time the perfumer discovers a new country, a language, a culture or simply extraordinary new ingredients, as of today the line consists of eight fragrances, exclusively available in Hermès stores.

Ambre Narguilé: a fruited amber honey mixed with the spiral curls of smoke of a blond tobacco, it conveys the Orient: hot, voluptuous, inspired by the savoury scents of the hookah. “A sweet intoxication…”

Honey Benzoin Labdanum Musk Vanilla Caramel Tonka Bean Sesame Cinnamon Rum Coumarin White Orchid

Dolcelisir
Haram
Helium [2He]
Oajan
Secret Amber

Hermessence Ambre Narguile Fragrance Reviews

flowers-in-the-springtime
flowers-in-the-springtime

Sweet, spicy, intoxicating, honey heavy perfume with shades of smoky tobacco. This sums up Hermessence Ambre Narguile.
For honey lovers this is an absolute must! To my nose the honey note, is the most authentic, natural smell I have ever experienced and has that gorgeous, sweet, manuka honey aroma.
As you would expect from the house of Hermes, this is beautifully crafted and has great longevity.

seekritdude
seekritdude

I liked this one a little more than I thought I would actually. Well thats if you dont count many the first half hour to a hour....

The opening for me the mix just doesnt work. During this portion of the fragrance its one of those that smells better to other people around you, or you yourself when your getting wiffs of it. Rather than actually wearing it, as during this period when I really try to enjoy it myself and bury my nose in my arm it just isnt working.

Once this goes away though its much more enjoyable and through out the rest of its duration I get honey... And a lot of honey. With in the background that sorta cinnamon apple pie smell. Strangely enough though when I get wiffs of it, generally its not the honey its this baked pie kinda smell. And when I go in for a closer smell once again more overwhelming honey.

For what its worth I felt that from the cap it was much more of the cinnamon apple pie, with some honey in it. But on skin more honey. Which for me personally I think is better since I dont eat pie in the first place.

Performance wise.. well projection seemed just ok, and longevity was good...

Anyway like I said besides the first half hour, hour or so, I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Its a nice mix. But not quite at the level where I feel I need it, especially for the price.

lovepie
lovepie

I love this, agree with all the "pie" smelling perfumistas, I can detect sweet cherry/apple cookie-dough like sweetness, along with a bit of rum and the spices. I find it less childish as some of you describe it, but I think there is much better ones out there in this genre, let alone cheaper!

riffjim4069
riffjim4069

Sure, I can pick-out the honey, cinnamon, rum and sweet notes in this fragrance. But they all blend together to remind my olfactory senses of freshly-baked apple-pie with raisins and cinnamon. To me, Ambre Narguile remains fairly linear with only subtle changes throughout the life of the fragrance. I love the opening and I love the slightly more ambery-vanilla drydown; from top-to-bottom this one is a rock-star with above average longevity and projection on my skin. It is simply one of the best gourmand'ish fragrances available.

Having proclaimed my love and respect for this fragrance, there are a couple reasons why I may not purchase a bottle of AN...and those reasons are called testicles. As with all gourmand type fragrances, I'm just not sure that I can, or should, smell like a deliciously fresh-baked Dutch Apple Pie all day and all night. Regardless, I feel AN is a wonderful fragrance for a woman and a definite try (not a buy because it's an expensive fragrance) for anyone who craves this type of fragrance.

Update: I bought it...just an addictive scent and I plan to rock this one during the Fall and Holidays.

theperfumedveil
theperfumedveil

Damn, why did I try this? I can't afford it. It's exactly what I have been looking for: hookah tobacco smell with green apples. The dates are also something I love. Where might one buy this besides the Hermes (very expensive) website?

Edit: I bought a 15 ml bottle on ebay but I'll soon run out of this cause you gotta bathe in this stuff to get an effect. It opens wonderfully but doesn't last at all.

joov84
joov84

a sweet, transparent, spicy gourmand.

ambre narguile is an amazing fragrance. i get honey, cinnamon, booze, gentle smokiness, tobacco and vanilla. it does remind me of warm apple pies. the smell is warm and transparent. never too thick or harsh even though it has honey. one of my all time favorites. gets compliments and performs very well.

9.2/10

rockegg
rockegg

I guess I have to be the party pooper. First impression: I just popped a caramel in my mouth. Second impression: my eyebrows came down and my stomach turned. Something about it made me feel unwell. To make sure I just wasn't sick at that moment I tried the experiment three times and it happened every time. On the positive side this is definitely a quality product that lasts a long time. I can see why people would like it and cannot explain the visceral reaction I have.

Oh my word this is scrumdiddlyumptious! Another sweet n spicy perfume--my fave!! I don't feel this is gourmand exactly, it's very ambery. More luxurious than anything. I think it's the honey that really gives the perfume just the right viscosity. As it develops on the skin it becomes ever so luscious. Pure rapture. Diamonds, Maseratis, and Manolo Blahniks...the world is mine when I wear this perfume. I just see Madonna in her Material Girl video.

The first perfume that stopped me dead in my tracks 20 years ago and was like nothing I had ever smelled was Fendi's Theorema, with its golden, sweet n spicy, amber drydown. Now that I have a full bottle, I rarely wear it because I wish it were stronger. Ambre Narguile is like Theorema's drydown on steroids. The perfect oriental.

Need a full bottle PRONTO!

UPDATE: I did buy a full bottle pronto, and now that I can spray to my heart's content (I only need 1 spray, it's so potent for the first 30 minutes), I take back what I said about it not being gourmand. It smells like cinnamon-raisin bread with vanilla custard poured over it. The drydown smells like sweet tobacco. Beautiful perfume!

aphexacid
aphexacid

Boy am i late to the party with this one. I always forget to try this when i visit the Hermes boutique. I've always been put off by the reviews calling it an "apple pie". So i finished my mini of vetiver tonka and went in to buy a full bottle. They put a ton of samples in my bag and when i got home i saw Ambre Narguille in there. I finally sniffed it, and WOW there was a party in my nose!

Boozy cinnamon, and a touch of honey. So beautiful, so rich, so authentic smelling.

Does NOT remind me of a pie or a yankee candle, or potpourri.

Performance is outstanding. I'm buying a bottle!

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

Well this is going to be a easy review. Sweet honey and lots of cinnamon with this beautiful gourmand fragrance.

But to sum it up: Sweet apple pie!.....lovely.

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

Hermessence Ambre Narguile enters the stage with a fresh rum note, however the timbre is sparkling and fresh, not boozy as rum might suggest--rather evocative of red tea: rich and ambrosial. A provocative note of warm hay then teases the senses with a come-hither invitation. I believe the tonka and honey is what creates this dreamy, sweet tobacco and rooibos accord.

Musk and orchid aren't distinct in this composition, however I think that their presence prevents Ambre Narguile from becoming too sticky and heavy. These notes also add a gentle milky, creamy quality to the fragrance's heart.

I'm not met with much amber either but think the name is fitting of the aura this fragrance projects. The vanilla is dry and delicious with a very soft dusting of sweet cinnamon, anchored lightly with delicate resins in its final phase of transition.

The culmination is not overly complex, but simple, rich, well balanced and very likeable, as much as a Werther's Original Chewy Caramel.

marios4
marios4

Very good fragr, but for me it's more a gourmand fragr than an ambery one; on my skin and on the mouillette i detect especially cherry, dried and fresh, a very and pleasant sugary effect, but not sweetish nor cloying; it remainds me "Les Jeux sont Faits" of Jovoy.....
The construction is very crystalline, the effect is not so warm nor opulent, but a little bit cold.

Lexxy
Lexxy

So this is what happens when someone like Mr. Jean-Claude makes a gourmand. Beautiful..elegant. It's gourmand but not in a cake type of way, it's more boozy, like a sweet brandy or something. In the dry down the woods and amber start to come out, making this fragrance very wearable and just a little joy, hard not to like this one. One of my all time favorite fragrances. Wonderful for winter. Sillage and staying power is great, bravo to Hermes for still producing quality durable scents! And products in general.

orenji
orenji

This was a (highly expensive!) blind buy, based largely on the reviews here, and all I can say is everyone who is raving about this is right - and then some.

I've always worn and enjoyed perfume, but I've never been remotely serious or invested in it before. I received a 15ml bottle of Ambre Narguile in the mail this morning and it's a revelation, like I've been neglecting one of my five senses right up until today. It's like being an instant coffee drinker for life and tasting a single origin espresso for the first time, or having only ever tasted cheap sparkling wine and then having your first sip of champagne.

My mailman delivered this early on while I was still in bed on a clear cold Autumn morning. After signing for the package I climbed back into bed and reflected on the expense of the tiny bottle and thought about how I should save it purely for special occasions. But obviously I wanted to smell it right away, so I spritzed just one spray and shared it between my wrists and throat.

My first feeling is that anyone smelling me after this will be transported to exactly this moment right along with me. Crisp Autumn sunlight coming in through the French doors on a gorgeous cold morning, bed-warmed skin and soft cotton pyjamas. Apple pie is so right - comforting and warm, delicious and spicy. It makes you want to bury your face in it.

I can imagine dressing down with it - greeting a lover on a cold day or curling up in front of the fireplace together - or wearing it out of an evening. If you're brave that is. Everyone in the world is going to want to sniff you.

I'm still getting waves of it hours later and I have never had such an emotional reaction to a perfume before. There's something immensely joyful about it, something about the combination of comfort and sexiness, warmth and spice. Every sense memory it seems to stir in me is of being warm when it's cold out, of walking in winter while wrapped up in big coats, of drinking coffee in bed under a toasty duvet, of burying your face in someone's warm skin. Simply exquisite.

Honestly, I was hoping not to love it quite as much as this, because it's damn well Hermes and now I'm going to be bankrupt.

houzi
houzi

I don't know about Ambre Narguile. It smells so well-done, fine, expensive and extremely loveable. But despite so much going for it, it's been more of a miss for me.

For one thing, it's just too foody to be 'my' amber. This is obviously my problem and in no way any fault of the perfume. I knew it from the start, seeing many reviews proclaiming apple pie! honey! pancakes! yummy! I'm not sure about apple pies, haven't had any in a long time, so it's mostly caramel to me in the food department of this scent. Or I may be cinnamon challenged. Strangely, I can't even tell honey with all certainty. I guess they are all just very well blended, as this is the thing with Ambre Narguile: it's smooth and seamless and sheer, it doesn't just sit there on top of your skin, but radiates from it like a beautiful halo, it takes common, edible ingredients and distills them into these weightless, superior particles. It just screams quality.

But where many smell only apple pies and general yumminess I consistently get a little bonus note, that bothers me a great deal. I really don't know which note it is, but it makes the whole composition smell very, very perfumey to my nose, and also gives it a masculine character (not that it's a bad thing). Its pervasive presence almost makes me feel like the whole gourmand factor of Ambre Narguile is no more than just an act, a candy shop providing cover for an exclusive bar in the back room. It makes sense actually, the perfume smells quite boozy indeed:)

The drydown is pretty and sweet, my nemesis note significantly mellowed out, but not gone. Because of its nature I expected the scent to fade sooner, but it lasted for the bigger part of the day each time I tried it.

Ambre Narguile hasn't stolen my heart, but its mastery elevates it beyond many other gourmand perfumes I've met so far.

invaderlark
invaderlark

This smells very much like apple pie and I don't like apple pie. Yeah I know how unamerican that is but I just don't care for it. I don't wanna smell like it either. This reminds me of thanksgiving with the family. Aside from personal issues with the scent, the longevity is great and the projection is crazy. If you want a scent that smells like apple pie with great performance this is your scent.

Centsless
Centsless

This smells like a delicious decadent dessert from a fancy bakery. Definitely a nice winter/fall smell when the days are short and you want a little pick me up/comfort smell. Probably not something I could wear everyday, but more like as a treat when I'm feeling down. I do not like gourmand scents, and even I enjoy this, so that tells you something.

Amor und Psyche
Amor und Psyche

I think Ambre Narguilé could be the fragrance that demonstrates perfectly the Art of Jean-Claude Ellena's work.

It contains a lot of essences that usually combine to create a rather heavy perfume, such as vanilla, labdanum, benzoin, apparently musk too... It's warm and comforting but it remains incredibly light and does not flood your nose with oppressing sweetness. Furthermore, its texture is dry and I think that is why it does not smell heavy at all, it lacks this moist feeling that gives weight to fragrances (such as for almost all of the, slightly overrated, Tom Ford perfumes).

It also has an impressing longevity on the skin and a very well balanced sillage. It's a good winter fragrance but it's just perfect for summer nights.

A masterpiece.

rowanwood
rowanwood

By god....this..its amazing. It immediately goes more incense/amber on my skin and only has a hint of sweetness, almost creeping up in the background. I almost smell patchouli and cinnamon bears, not apple pie. I want to roll in it! Certainly not something I'd want to wear in the summertime, but something I'd want to have on hand in cooler weather for those days that my usual vetiver Encre Noire or Sycomore are too sharp. It's for warm feelings and holidays and finding something happy about being trapped indoors.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

Gorgeous resins, spice and lots of rum and honey. This is a winner for sure. Warm, just enough smoky and spicy background and sweet honey on top of it all. I do not find the booziness overwhelming, just a beautiful step in the scent development. Ambre Narguile is a recipe for perfection. Jean-Claude Ellena has done it again.

Like all JCE's scents this has a beautiful development, moving between one beautiful note and another, wowing me like the most beautiful piece of music. This is amber played by a chamber orchestra. This is the best amber I have ever smelled and I am an amber lover who has tried just about every amber known to man or woman. This is my amber Holy Grail and I'm buying a full bottle. It's worth the money!

MarillaV
MarillaV

How can such a complex fragrance with such traditionally "heavy" notes be so light? It is like the best cashmere wrap, warm and comforting, but lays as light as a feather around your shoulders. This fragrance is the same way, a fully enveloping scent that surrounds you, but not heavy or cloying, just comforting.

The apple pie accord is strongest upon initial spray, the smell of baking apples combined with all those lovely apple pie spices and a nice hit of cinnamon. As this first scent mellows, the smoke comes out to play, not strong as in Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille, but playful and capricious. It twirls and swirls around the delicious apple pie, never too heavy, but giving the right balance of smokey and sweet. As the composition deepens, the honeyed amber develops, giving a little more depth, but never making it too heavy.

A true wonder of the fragrance world: a gourmand with smoke that feels as light as air but with all the comforting aspects still intact. I still marvel at it every time I spray it. I initially did a split, but will need more soon. Sure, the price is outrageous, but this is one of those times that it is totally worth it. It lingers on me all day, providing enjoyable wafts of fragrance. It does tend to sit close to the skin on me, but that does not bother me at all.

Miss_Nicole
Miss_Nicole

I usually don't follow the hype train when it comes to fragrances. If I like something and I find it appealing, I wear it - wether or not it's put on this untouchably high pedestal. But, I must say all the hype and praise surrounding Ambre Narguile is very much warranted and true. So yes, I'm definitely on board this train for sure.

This frag is the epitome of fall in a bottle. I feel as though I gain 5 pounds every time I smell myself.
Boozy, warm, spicy, decadent, resinous, sweet, a little woody, rich, voluminous, smokey, complex - just to friggin die for. On top of that the amber in this composition is absolutely stunning. Yes, I do get this homemade, right out of the oven fresh baked apple pie drizzled with caramel and sprinkled with cinnamon vibe, but there's more to this composition, so much more.

With so much going on in this fragrance one would think the composition would be muddled and incoherent, but that is so further then the truth. The notes work together in a perfect symphony and they all contribute their offerings to make this fragrance truly remarkable. Talk about partnership and teamwork.

Yes, a fb of Ambre Narguile is a little (maybe a lot) pricey, BUT please don't let that be a deterrent in trying this beautiful creation for yourself. (You can also get 15 ml travel sizes which saves you quite a bit)
Sometimes just because something is expensive doesn't make it good, or better. But in this case it most certainly does. Even if you're not much of a gourmand, sweet frag lover, I still highly recommend to try a sample and revel in the beauty that Ambre Narguile has to offer. And if gourmand fragrances are right up your alley, I really feel that you're going to love this. :)

Estebanz
Estebanz

Hermes Ambre Narguile.
My Gosh this fragrance smells so yummy,its like having Pumpkin Latte at a Bakery in the Fall while someone is baking a spicy Apple Pie in the back of the business,It starts off Spicy Fruity and Boozy,yes Boozy and develope into a Smokey Fruity scent,perhaps not for everyday use,but when craving a spicy Apple Pie this one will take me there without the calories, Gorgeous!!!!!

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

Amber and Tobacco Deliciousness.

I'm not going to say more than what has been said by fellow reviewers. Everybody knows about the apple pie/strudel smell of AN and what a gorgeous amber this is.

I just want to add the AN has tobacco as one of the prominent notes. It's not listed on Fragrantica but the description alludes to it, Hermes mentions it, and my nose should know better as I grew around tobacco. I get a substantial dose of warm, comforting, and sweet tobacco in AN. Very enjoyable if you like tobacco.

BlueMoon
BlueMoon

CARB BREAKFAST

Pancakes with honey, cinnamon and maple syrup.

It's warm and inviting - similar to when I walk past Clinton Street Bakery on the Lower East Side.

But I'd rather eat the pancake than smell like one.

Michael1962
Michael1962

Brilliant amber dipped spicy caramel delight which is so rich,thickly scented and alluring.Its like a cinnamon scroll for your skin.
So warm and inviting but I would get more enjoyment smelling it on others.
Similar to Lutens Jeux de Peau but I feel the cinnamon is richer here and smells less bakerylike.Definitely comforting,high quality and classy I can see the appeal and allure it has for others however
I'm not really a huge fan of gourmand scents its more of a novelty for me and not a frag I would add to my collection after my sample has expired.

Johnnyacl
Johnnyacl

So nice! Love it!

fedz
fedz

I have a love and hate relationship with this fragrance. Even now I don't know if I like it.
I really love the cinnamon, but only served on some food, but to smell like a cookie? I don't know... Probably this is not my dream :)

WendyMH
WendyMH

Very warm and spicy - images of deep gold and blood-ripe red come through as I smell. Scenes of falling leaves, cinnamon toffee apples, holding hands with a gorgeous, sensuous, lumberjack. A touch of pipe tobacco. A little honey. There is a smidgen too much cinnamon within for my true love... but I do have a very deep like going on. The amber comes through about two hours after spraying, once the cinnamon begins to wane. This is my favourite part.

ateghipc
ateghipc

Jean-Claude Ellena's touch and attention to detail is here, but I can't imagine wearing this outside of october and november. It seems a bit more linear and simple than the rest of the hermessence line but over all interesting fragrance, just not for me. A bit too much cinnamon here for my taste.

jhitt793
jhitt793

A masterfully blended and complex creation from Jean-Claude Ellena, and the first of his Hermessence line for Hermes that I have experienced. Amber is commonly used in Oriental fragrances, evocative of Eastern mystery and sensuality. Ellena has captured this imagery perfectly here, matching the warm resionous amber with sweet and intoxicating tobacco leaf. I detect a hint of dried fruit accord (fig, raisin, and apple perhaps?) which have been drizzled gently with sweet honey. A dash of cinnamon, a hint of vanilla, and a touch of boozy cognac have been added to round out the gourmand quality of the fragrance. There is an artful balance of sweetness, savory, and spiciness which is nothing short of remarkable. One element never outweighs the other, and only serves to amplify this enigmatic scent. An absolute stunner for the autumnal months, conjuring up languid evenings spent with a loved one enjoying each other's warm embrace. In a word, beguiling! (95)

nizzagirl
nizzagirl

Honey, honey, honey, honey. And even more honey. And a pinch of cinnamon. It's rather sweet for my personal taste, it's not entirely warm sweetness, but tending there. I can imagine it's working good all seasons. Would recommend for those, who is looking for sweet but not fruity scent.
My question to Hermes: And where is the AMBER?

iam2sexy4uris
iam2sexy4uris

This is a gorgeous sweet fragrance, it's everything Tobacco Vanille should of been but definitely wasn't. This smells like sweet cherrie pie, cinnamon, tobacco and rum ( in this exact order ). Very beautiful and long lasting. A perfect fall fragrance, because it has this cinnamon smell. If you like sweet intoxicating fragrances but classy at the same time, you can't go wrong with Ambre Narguile, it's a beauty!

kris919
kris919

I don't get rum , but I do get some some apple, amber, tons of cinnamon, nutmeg, and some honey. I don't know if there is tobacco in here, but I'm getting a nice soft tobacco note (unlike the one in TF's Tobacco Vanille..which smells like chai tea to me). Ambre Narguile is very expensive, I'm not sure I can ever justify spending that kind of money for a perfume. I like this alot, but it's not quite love. $240 for a 3.3 oz on the Hermes website. maybe I'll go for an 8oz decant instead from STC or find the 15ml somewhere. good stuff

kayley123
kayley123

Very sweet and a little fruity (cinnamon, caramel) Less powdery and sweeter than L de Lolita.
Not animalic like Musc Ravageur...the fruitiest and has the most honey out of all of the "family" of fragrances of which it reminds me. It's the sweetest except for Tobacco Vanille, which is also sweet, but more from tobacco than honey.

Family:
Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
Hermes Ambre Narguile

JoeMacchiato
JoeMacchiato

I own a bottle of Dolcelisir. Last week when I walked into a Hermes boutique to test out Ambre Narguile, the first sniff of it instantly reminded me of Docelisir.

STRAG
STRAG

This smells more woody for me that oriental and spicy, even if I cleary smell the warm cinnamon! The perfume is strangly sweet in spite of Hermes' philosophy of not creating gourmand perfumes.

Brenao

The cinnamon here is perfect, very appealing, I really like this fragrance, the best sweet smell, it's soft, hot, and always will be in my wardrobe. Ellena's greatest work.

dmoman

It's different my skin at times. Sometimes the cinnamon sticks out first and smells like big red soda but on a good day it opens like cherry pie. Then later its cinnabon with a little hint of some fruit, like a mix of cherry apples. If your7r cinnamon fan then its worth the sample, for me its a personal scent but I would literally make my date wear this. Ladies, this has your name written all over this for your man.

Gabriellitjie
Gabriellitjie

Forget Prozac - use Ambre Narguile. I'm not into gourmand scents generally, but this edp just smells so incredibly lovely, comforting, soothing, uplifting, happy - it's a smiley smell! Darn, my top ten list is getting crowded, but I just found space for Ambre Narguile on it.

nsquared
nsquared

Delicious honey/cinnamon/apple/raisin/amber vibe. Not overpowering on me - soft, warm and pleasant. If you love cinnamon, or gourmands in general, it's a no-brainer - it's easy to love.

Gigis
Gigis

Even though this has the notes associated with frostier holidays, I get honeyed August dusk, drinking wine in the yard, a drag from a cigarette, and a soft waft of evening flowers.

gahanfan
gahanfan

I got a small sample of this a few days ago and after all the wonderful and postive reviews I was so looking to testing it out. I dabbed on a small amount on my wrists then went out for a walk with the dog ( wearing a t-shirt ).

At first I thought it was a delicious scent and I kept catching whiffs of it and I walked along...However, then it started changing and the more whiffs I got, the more I noticed that I was starting to feel a bit ill. Halfway through the walk I felt positively nauseous, It's VERY strong.

By the time I got home I had to rush to the bathroom and scrub this off ! I felt ill for the rest of the day. It was far too potent for me. I didn't get any notes of apple pie or cinnamon either. Just a very, very strong, smoky and rather masculine scent.

Definately NOT blind buy territory. I'm glad I got the chance to try it. But it didn't work at all for me, or my skin chemistry.

Roge'
Roge'

Just when i thought that Costamor Tabacca was the best gourmand scent ever made....then came King Narguile. Not only is this best foody scent ever created but this just might be the best scent ever composed PERIOD. Spending $270 dollars never felt so good.

*BLIND BUY WORTHY AWARD*

darrshan77
darrshan77

REVIEW OF DARRSHAN

Man this is to be tried at any cost , just got my bottle and to my surprise this is edt and it lasts for ages awesome scent , iam going to wear frm sep onwards , a true gem frm hermes .

meama
meama

91) This is the kind of perfume that would prohibit religions, it is devilishly addictive. The nose is not the mouth and rare are gourmant perfumes able to push yourself to debauchery by suggestion without ever disgusting you (look at La Vie est Belle, PinkSugar,..). With this tsunami of sweet filth that suffered perfumery today, this fragrance emerges as the Venus above the waves.

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

A masterpiece, together with Tobacco Vanille are the most realistic fragrances.
The combination of cinnamon, honey, vanilla, caramel, dipped in rum it all, brings us to the aroma of a legitimate apple pie.
Hardly no enchants, brings a comfort gustatory, olfactory and spiritual.

freddinos
freddinos

This is all I thought Arabie and Tobacco Vanille would have been (and weren't). A smooth blend of cinnamon, honey, rum and spicy goodness. The opening is a little harsh/masculine for my taste, but the dry down is to die for. Unfortunately its price restricts me to my 5ml sample, but will definitely buy Dolcelisir as a more affordable replica as the reviews suggest.

jdolani

It's probably not a warm weather/Spring perfume but I am wearing it anyway.I receive so many complements when I wear this.

id
id

Honey and benzoin show up at the opening, but later it transforms into the cherry pie with lots of cinnamon. Cherries in rum would be more concrete. Smells sweet and delicious. It draws compliments and lasts long, about 8-9 hours on my skin. And I'd call it more gourmand than oriental spicy.

Brenao

It smells terrific, the pure gold juice ever, the best cinnamon out there. Very sweet and has a good last power, great adult gourmand, truly unissex.

mendwillie
mendwillie

Perfume of the Gods!
It smells spectacular, tasty, feel the power of cinnamon burning up with a touch of benzoin smeared by honey bee. I loved it too. Worth it! Great job Jean-Claude Ellena!

I classify it thus:

Smell: 1000/10
Projection: 9/10

misslovely
misslovely

Great fall/winter scent. Very warm, sweet, spicy, boozy, and yummy fragrance. The honey and cinnamon are very prominent in this perfume, maybe that's why people associate the scent with the smell of apple pie.

mubes89
mubes89

My new signature scent. This is so comfy, unique and just pure lovely.... I can`t stop smelling my wrist when I wear this..

rachelcerq
rachelcerq

This is such a warm, comforting fragrance. I personally love it, BUT its wearings are restricted to home and sometimes work (when there aren't any meetings). As others have noted, there's an accord that triggers associations with apple pie, and while I enjoy these notes, this perfume has silage and I don't want to project an image of Betty Crocker (or even Bath & Body works). Therefore, I enjoy this masterpiece at home. I should note, however, that when my sister wore this to work one day, a colleague asked her to write down the name so she could purchase it. So it's a definite crowd pleaser.

All in all, Ambre Narguile is another beautifully composed piece of art by Jean-Claude Ellena. Rating: 4/5

scentlaw
scentlaw

Who knew apple pie could be so sexy.

Smelly beast
Smelly beast

I'm not a fan o this one, I find it very obvious and boring. Ellena was too literal on his reference, I would expect something a bit more intriguing from him... Maybe he could have explored the dirty and salty aspect of amber to compensate the cinnamon and the apple note. I really dont get why people get so excited over this.

3 out of 5

careless86
careless86

i want to try this so badly , unfortunately we do not have Hermes BOUTIQUE in my country :(

jdolani

On a cold,windy day like today this fragrance is warm and sensuous,instantly lifts my mood.Every time I wear it I get tons of compliments,everyone has to find out what I am wearing,it's unlike anything they have smelled.

antfarm
antfarm

A sensual, boozy, Christmassy oriental. That should be a new fragrance category: "Christmassy Oriental". Anyway, this smells like the most beautiful, knock-out egg nog ever concocted. It has substantial longevity and projection for a gourmand. Probably one of the only comfort scents that has a huge slap of sex appeal. Also, it does smell like you have been hitting the flask a bit, so best left for occasions that are nonwork-related.

bcoops
bcoops

yes like everyone says..cinnamony apple pie..but once I read a review below and someone said nag champa incense, I do get that vibe also! whatever it is I love it...I'm a bit bumbed on its longevity and projection ..for me maybe 2-3 hr projection and a few more hour close to skin..for the kinda coin this one fetches, I would like more....gonna try the Dolcelisir and see who that goes

bigjakeriz
bigjakeriz

I dont like to blind buy. But when samples on ebay cost about 20 dollars and i can't sample it anywhere, you have to take some risks. I got an amazing deal so i jumped on it. And i am SO HAPPY I DID!! I am a gourmand lover. And yet to come across a fragrance that can match the deliciousness of New Haarlem. But what New Haarlem is to pancakes and maple syrup. Ambre Narguile is to Cinnamon Apple Fritters. I LOVE IT!!. Amazing fragrance. Its been on my hand for 3 hours now and i can still smell it stong while typing. So glad i got this fragrance. Hopefully it stays cooler for a little while longer so i can give it a couple wearings.

Sylfaelle
Sylfaelle

I would absolutely LOVE this masterpiece, if only I could stand cinnamon. It totally smells like the most delicious apple crumble, but loaded with cinnamon.
I can wear it for a hour or so, but then I have to wash it off my wrist (and wash thoroughly cause this scent STICKS to the skin).
But the wonderful part happens the day after. I'd put on the same jacket, and find myself wondering what this exquisite smell is... the cinnamon's almost gone now, but still remains a delicate spicy yummy scent.

missdeeblue
missdeeblue

I reacted to the hype. The best reaction I have ever made. HYPE? I think not, unless Hype is latin for perfection. This frag takes me to another level - a new level. A foodie level. A 'oh jeez.. why cant I EAT what I inhale' level. Think McDonalds in the 1980s think their apple fritter that was pulled because of health and safety reasons (heat nuking mouth syndrome) think that you are eating this sticky cinnamon McFritter goo next to a guy with a white beard smoking vanilla honey tobacco stuffed pipe.. puff puff puff. munch..munch..munch. My no1 food perfume. And when im slimming I lick my wrist.

moskie
moskie

To me the top notes are cinnamon-apple potpourri. Enough said.

My choice for Christmas

Happy Holidays!

withacat
withacat

It deffinitely is very tasty and quite rich in its sweetness, has a lovely tobacco note with some cherries, also sometimes feels a bit almondy (I love almond). But am I the only one who feels Ambre Narguile to be very similar to Artisan`s Tea for Two??
Really, the spices, the cherries, tobacco and rum... TfT has a bit more sharpness in it, like of strong black tea (or a pu-erh), but but overall they seem very similar to me.
I`m trying to pick scents for the Hermes gift set of 4 and hesitate endlessly whether I should pick one of Ambre Narguile since I do have a 50 ml bottle of Tea for Two, but still it is very seductive as it started snowing here in Moscow and sweet&spicy honey-tobacco would do good that time of year:)

Addition - I wore it today and it is definitely sweeter and with more honey and syrup than Tea for Two, but by the end of the day, right now the drydown smells exactly like Costume National))) Funny, but I even pulled my bottle of the latter - absolutely identical! But only at very last moments of drydown, through the day it was as described above - tobacco, apples and cherries, rum and spices, and lots of honey.

pure_dreamer

white orchids.

They need to update it!

mathieuq613
mathieuq613

MAGNIFIC ENOUGHT TO IMPRESSE SOMOBODY WHITH THATS BUT REALY SWEEAT NOT FOR EVERYONE AND NOT VERSATILE SCENT 10OUT10

klopgovorun
klopgovorun

At first spray, I am overwhelmed with honey. Its sweetness is so strong and pungent, I wish I could turn the volume down. After a few minutes of wearing Ambre Narguille, I begin to feel a bit sick, suffocating in its thick cloud of sugar.
However, I am curious of what's next to come, so I wait patiently.

In about 15-20 minutes, the volume finally goes down, I feel the warmth of amber, and the honey bomb allows the incense note to shine a little -- not much, it's not a solo, just a background theme -- for which I admit, I am very grateful.

As time goes on the honey and the incense begin to form a union, though not the most harmonious of unions, as honey still clearly dominates the composition.

If honey note is something you enjoy, you may find this fragrance heavenly -- the ingredients are high quality and well-blended. Unfortunately, I tend to enjoy incense way more than honey, if the tables turned in this composition, I would have been in heaven, but unfortunately for me, this composition is very honey-centric.

guest_Vie Cafe

I highly recommend l"Occitane Amber as a substitute for Ambre narguile. Easy to find and affordable. I even like it better!

fragsforyou
fragsforyou

My all time favorite! But took expensive for me :/

ailimeavolokin
ailimeavolokin

Smells dirty, not sexy-dirty, but frowsy. My hands were reeking for ages, no soap was able to eliminate that stench. The combination of honey and incense just doesn't work on my skin. Please, test before buying.

hermyonee
hermyonee

cinnamon, lots of cinnamon, apple pie, and a hint of rum, that's it... and quite poor staying power!

Espi
Espi

after having sampled quite a lot of fragrances already it is rare to get captivated immediately by one. Ambre Narguilé is one of these.. maybe the time was just right: it is an unusually cold early autumn day where you want to cuddle up and be comforted.
I've never ever smelled such a deliriously sweet incense fragrance that is so comforting to the nose and relaxes you! A day earlier I was wearing a fragrance I already knew to boost confidence during a conference of massage therapists, but after sampling this one, I think this is both a confidence booster, as well as a comforting fragrance for someone who is receiving a massage due to the calming Zen-like quality.

ETA: now I remember where it makes me think of.. Ambre Russe by PdE

perilandia
perilandia

Finally i buy it! I was afraid to be very masculine, and then I noticed that Angel has also such a masculine side
I am so happy I love honey and cinnamon together.
I hope to love it!!!!!!!!

annasmells
annasmells

First off, I am allergic (sneezing and congestion) but the fragrance is heavenly. I used to wear it anyway because the initial spray is unique and fun, unfortunately cinnamon-y on my skin. Everyone should take at least one sniff of this scent!

muskymoi
muskymoi

Holy sh**! This is delicious. How have I lived without this for most of my adult life? I would easily say this is better than the Spiritueuse Double Vanille. It's just something I can't put my finger (or nose) on...

OlfractalInfemme
OlfractalInfemme

If apple cider dreamt of life as a perfume, this would be it. Wonderful.

flhterrie
flhterrie

This is truly sweet, spicy, smoky goodness. Amber Narguile is one of my favorite gourmands along with SL's Rahat Loukoum and PoTL. Amber Narguile is more straight forward and easier for the nose to understand. While Rahat and PoTL may be symphonies, Amber Narguile is a blues progression, simple, but no less perfect and enjoyable. It also lasts much longer than either of the others and has nice sillage. I get lots of compliments when I wear this.

The nicest thing, though, is that it always makes my husband want to snuggle, and we've been married 30 years. He is indifferent to almost all fragrances but this one gets his attention in the nicest way.

drewdet
drewdet

Part of my Hermessence Set perfume I love love love it.

guest_Vie Cafe

This perfume is georgeous and is very well described by the simple notes... it is a heavy sweet, incense, amber perfume. Not afraid to be what it is, for lack of better words... A little linear but smells VERY expensive. If you like sweet incense, you will love this. I just wished it was a bit more "earthy" than "refined".

It retails at $250 canadian dollars... and to my opinion, this is a bit expensive for a fragrance I cannot see anyone wearing as a "signature" scent. It is more an "addition to your collection of incensy fragrances" than a centerpiece for sure. But if you can afford it, why not!

I now own l"Occitane Ambre after not having it for so long. And I have to tell all of you that it reminds me a lot of Ambre Narguile... in fact, I like l'Occitane better because it is more complex and morphs into so many different things on me! Amber, honey and... freesia? genius! Try it!

jeffwithfrags
jeffwithfrags

Magnificent sweet opening of gourmand cherry/almond and apple pastry of some type - apart from the almondy part, which I don't like much.

It has a niche standard honeyed sweetness all the way, and towards the base is joined by brilliantly improvised sweet incense. Plus another genourous helping of upscale vanilla or benzoin here it seems.

I never get the thick, acrid smokyness of the likes of the awful Fumerie Turque by Lutens. Here it is only sweet and transparent whiffs of incense and the finest curls of smoke from the distance. Quite a magical effect! Blending at it's finest!

For me the almondy tones almost ruin the experience of it, but one has to credit it for what it is. A very underrated gourmand, certainly one of the market's best!

Personal, 3/5.
Quality, 5/5.

yacoco
yacoco

nice perfume
the start smells like apple pie then smell like honey

nikkimouse
nikkimouse

I would love to get my hands on this, but for now I'll have to stick with Guerlain's L'instant EDp ... I swear I think the idea here was to make a more masqueline... newer take on L'instant edP (not edt) :)

Actually, what I do is layer l'instant edp with a concoction that I made which is made up of cinnamon, ginger, apple, and incense - and well, as I know many would disagree with doing this, it smells absolutely amazing

fubar1963
fubar1963

Hey Diego, this is a inoffensive and subtle aroma. It's a bit closer to the skin than some so I use 2 to 3 sprays without overpowering anyone.

I have to say Ambre Narguile is one of the most intoxicatingly sensuous aromas I've experienced in a while. It is closer to the skin than Kilian's Love, but is completely worth every penny.

I detect a rich, warm, carmel apple and cinnamon. Staying power could be better, but I'm so in love with this scent that I will happily reapply. This is unisex and if one night I want to wear a different fragrance, I just spray some on my husband and enjoy it on him!

Update, staying power is actually really good. I just had adapted to this godly aroma and couldn't smell it on me anymore, but others could.

Second update, my husband LOVES it on me and says it smells like spiced apple pie!

diego.cubillo

guys, how many sprays would you use for this on a summer day ( let's say 28 Celsius) I know it's best for fall but there is no fall here :)

Loobloo
Loobloo

I thought I would really like this perfume. I had already fallen love with and ordered a full bottle of Amber, by Aftelier. But on my skin, while this lasted and lasted (about 12 hours), it did not develop well. For one thing, it was too sweet. And more than that, it turned into a scent that strongly reminded me of all those musk perfumes that were around in the 70's (at least I THINK it was the 70's).

So I'll stick to the Aftelier take on amber. To my nose that one reminds me of a campfire, in a good way. And to my husband, it reminds him of one of our favorite rosebushes.

violoncello10

Friends, in addition to my review of a few months ago about this stunning fragance:

Before entering into the concert Hall, one of the pupils who was in the backstage, a few meters far from me, suddenly said: "Oh My God! It smells cinnamon!!! What´s that??", another girl who was there started sniffing and also said "Yes!! Cinnamon!!" (I wonder why cinnamon is not listed in the perfume pyramid...)

I remark these words: A FEW METERS FAR FROM ME. Apart from that, it was about 8 hours after spraying the beverage on my skin and all of us, surrounded of an human being "essence" atmosphere! :P

Finally, because of this unusual fact due to my skin chemistry (which destroys all the perfums in... eh.. 2 hours?) I must reassert my opinion about this Hermessence: OUTSTANDING in all the fields.

My signature fragrance, even for summer (only one spray!) :P

As we say in Spain: ¡Olé! Mr. Ellena

mohmd.taha
mohmd.taha

Tested it last night , and immediately fell in love.This is really stunning fragrance that features honey amber with a lovely booziness to it . Sillage and longevity are superior .Top of my want list,but damn it, the price tag is too hard.

Kamicha
Kamicha

In a fragrance forum in my country a person stated that one who claims not enjoying the saucy hot apple pie opening aromas of Ambre Narguile lies - and I think that he was absolutely right.

I'm a sucker of amber scents and Ambre Narguile certainly is a must have among them - allthough strictly speaking Ambre Narguile is definitely more about tobacco than amber. Well, that does not matter, actually I think Ambre Narguile is a must have among all scents.

Gourmand scents in general are not my personal favorites, but the caramelized apple pie filling with loads of cinnamon in Ambre Narguile manages to be anything but vulgar. The lingering amber and extremely sophisticated aromas of sweet tobacco frame it so beautifully that you would probably like to weep a little - but on the other hand you are probably smiling with slightly stunned face because its happiness-inducing aromas are messing with your brain chemistry.

Not saying that Ambre Narguile is a gourmand scent per se - but the opening definitely is quite edible... ...later the composition arranges itself so, that the edibility factor definitely diminishes, but on the other hand the olfactory deliciousness is there to stay. The transformation from apple pie to refined tobacco scent is so sneaky that it amuses me every time I wear this.

Add the excellent longevity and very special kind of amber note - this one does not suffocate you with the golden wall of amber, but lingers in your nose with fairy-like little explosions - and you have this piece of fragrant gold in your hands.

With these notes one could render out something heavy and cloying - but Ambre Narguile is pretty much opposite of that in it's playfulness, sheerness and elegance.

Needless to say that this is one of my absolute favorites.

BTW, where the hell is the tobacco note from the notes list? Cinnamon?

moynah
moynah

Ive had to review my review and re-post, simply because after having this on my décolletage daily for the last 2 weeks, it truly is now part of my life, and the daily spray is something that I cannot give up.

Its gone into 'brushing teeth' category Why? because I feel undressed without it

Apart from the compliments, the 'curious' sniffs (the no comment stifled yawn look involving the nose) the warmth, the fruit, the endless longevity, the gentle cinnamon apple sauce, like a warm apple pie drizzled in double cream, its the fact that it seems totally unique, for me, No1 scent in the Hermessence line - this darling Ambre Narguilé is a real treasure, and should be sampled by every fragrance connoisseur.

I personally feel the Hermes label has been trashed a little since its association with the kardishian family type of celeb, but, this scent is a firm reminder that Hermes really do bang out some smoking HOT fragrances, and I would say, for me, Ambre Narguilé is way up there in the top 2 of most favoured scents EVER

Still not truly convinced that it belongs on the male skin. Cannot imagine something so heavenly gentle delicious on a gym iron pumping man, maybe the gent can layer it with something more herbal/leather? Or vetiver Tonka - male addicts please prove me wrong! - could this REALLY be given to a man as a gift?

For me.. its perfection in a bottle! xx

evilspin
evilspin

This is an amazing fragrance. I just wish I can keep smelling it on myself even though others smell it on me, I keep putting it on just to smell it myself. If you want to recall what it smells like. imagine walking into a high end pastry/sweet deli with that sexy someone smoking a fine tobacco in the background. thats what it smells like. All good things

iatrogenius
iatrogenius

Mesmerizing.

Ambre Narguile will put you right in Aladdin's seat next to Jasmine on that beautiful magic carpet ride.
Ambre Narguile will show you the world.

This begins with a heavenly boozy accord spiced with cinnamon and sesame while a delicious, light, apple note mingles with a VERY refined and ELEGANT tobacco.

A fragrance of this type is usually made extremely heavy and cloying. Yet, this is where Jean Claude Ellena marks his territory with his signature light, airy, and ghost like transparency.

Everyone mentions apple pie...I thinkt is more apple cider than apple pie. I do not find this creamy or heavy because of it's transparency...

What I love about this scent is, even though it is so perfectly well blended, my nose catches whiffs of EACH accord one at a time. If I sniff the cap, automatically I get hit with the apple...then the spices..then the boozy flavor..then the cinnamon...and a vanilla vibe..Finally Amber.all one at a time, while maintaining a unified whole in the background...if that makes sense.

If it doesn't than fear not..this is a beautiful fragrance. One thing I disagree on...I do not find this akin to a "gourmand." It is foody because of that apple vibe..fine.but this is far from gourmand, IMO. This is the essential spicy oriental fragrance that just so happens to be inspired by apple flavored shisha tobacco. (shisha = hookah = narguile).

This is unlike anything out there..I smoke hookah ocassionally and I do see JCE's inspiration...I would never imagine in a million years to wear or consider a fragrance inspired by a hookah pipe...but Ambre Narguile changed all of that.

Hate to say it...but now my signature scent. I just cannot get enough of this stuff. Sorry Sweet Redemption. I wear this in hotter weather..just one spray though..it has a lightness to it on initial spray and forms a light cloud. My housemate in Miami smelled this on me while we were walking along Ocean Drive and she told me she kept walking behind me on purpose because I smelled so delicious. Light and spicy but very sexy. Another housemate (a male) smelled Musc Ravageur and thought it was bug spray on a night out. He smelled Ambre Narguile the next night out and said "I am wearing that tomorrow for sure. What is that? Probably something unprounounceable, but damn it's good."

Sillage Longevity = perfect in this department. Two words: PROJECTS FOREVER.

No blind buys still endorsed, but must try, and it will grow on you.

lyrical
lyrical

YUMM!!!! Baked apples in cinnamon and nutmeg with a dusty musky tabacco pipe insence wafting around in the background... This is all drenched in honey & DEVINE! Worth the trip to Hermes if one is near you. A scent to easily fall in love with if you love oriental gourmands... Simply delicious!!!!

lisa.m.kasper
lisa.m.kasper

I wish this was easier to get my hands on at reasonable prices. Tired of paying outlandish prices for little samples...

Sweet honey/amber, tobacco (pipe, not ashtray)...apple pie... oh yeah... APPLE PIE... only slight incense... just heaven. Really... I've tried to find something similar... NOTHING touches it by a mile.

My 26 yo son, who prefers NOT to wear scent, has a bottle of this and covets it. AND wants me to get him another for xmas. So, that must tell you SOMETHING!!

The Hermes site offers this still, but you must buy it as part of a 4-pack. You can chose 4 different (15ml each) scents, or make all of them the same scent. But, as usual, the prices is prohibitive. At least prohibitive for a knee jerk impulse buy. Gonna have to save up for it!

Merry Christmas for the next 4 years son!

loveperfumes
loveperfumes

Feeling such a ‘rara avis’ in the general chorus that I don’t even know what to begin with. It must be all about habitats, our perception of the scent, I mean.:))

Firstly, I’d like to state that somehow Ambre Narquile seems rather Russian to me, so no wonder it reminds of Sensuelle Russie I've never smelt. This kind of scent has been rather familiar to me from early childhood spent in a rural area, so I can’t share the opinion about its luxurious or outstanding selective features. I’d sooner admit Tobacco Vanille and Chergui to be the ultimate luxury, and those two are a totally different story for me. The next point that freaks me out is the reference to apple, cherry, etc., because from early childhood I’ve known this stuff is not edible.

So, its smelling formula for me is as follows:

- Soviet cologne base (read ‘ambery’, read ‘Nicole Farhi for women’)

"Raw" average tobacco (raw meaning without fruity or ‘glamour’ additions, I wouldn't be surprised to know that Catherine the Great sniffed the same 235 year ago)

Something undefinable that later on blossomed to the full in Womanity by Mugler

Do I recognize the scent from Turkish Narguile cafe? If it is something left on clothes hours later – maybe.

To sum up, Tobacco Vanille and Chergui are what we imagine (yummy) tobacco to be, but Ambre Narguile is what it is.

williamvargas
williamvargas

beautiful fragrance...you will get people asking you what are you wearing...the ultimate snuggle up fragrance..especially in fall or winter..just envelops you and is very intoxicating..so pleasant and you do not need a lot to get it rolling.others will smell you. it is one of those, let me take a second whiff of you..lol..it is great fragrance for the back of your neck and on your chest, talking for a man...oh ok...a woman too, it will create some neck kissing if you can handle that.

fpih
fpih

First time I put it on, it was love at first sniff! Ambre Narguile is a true tobacco scent with a delicate, transparent sweetness from the amber & honey. The first 5' remind me of bubblegum with that potent cinnamon note that fortunately fades away very fast to leave a warm, comforting tobacco scent that lasts for hours. Very gourmand but in an elegant, grown up way.

Second & third time I put it on however, it started feeling a bit too sweet on me. I was not so sure it was worth buying after all when two of my friends exclaimed how impressed they were from this 'unusual, warm, oriental scent that fits your style so much'. It seems I have to get a bottle after all (or rather 4, as Hermes has an offer for 4x15ml bottles that you can fill any way you like for 100€).

Update: Gave in & bought the travel set finally and I have to say it's growing on me. It manages to avoid being labeled too sweet or too spicy just by a hairsbreadth, but that is all the difference; it never gets annoying or too much, even now that the temperature is fastly climbing up. Instead it's a very comforting, calming fragrance that I greatly appreciated during the last week of hell I had. The cinnamon note is more prominent than I first thought but doesn't bother me at all. Lasting power is quite good (6-7 hours), but it stays too close to skin after the first couple of hours. Good thing I have the 15ml bottle with me and can reapply as needed:) I'm not in love with it yet, it still is a bit bland for my taste, but I can see myself wearing a lot more than many other perfumes in my collection as it's a crowd pleaser and pleasant to me as well.

padraiginrua
padraiginrua

Question: I'm trying to decide if I should get a sample of this. I geneally like warm amber and soft spices but some smoky/woody perfumes to me smell like campfire or worse dirty ashtray (eg Comme des Garcons 3).

It would be great if the next reviewer would address this. Thanks so much!!!

Starlight_Angel
Starlight_Angel

This is an absolutely stunning fragrance, with which Hermès succeeds on taking me on an incredible olfactory journey.

Ambre Narguilé really captures the sticky, sweet and slightly syrupy scent of the flavored tobacco used in a Hookah pipe.

When I wear this perfume, I'm transported to a Middle-Eastern café, surrounded by apple flavored hookah tobacco and sweet pastries.

The scent of apple is very pronounced throughout, and it does have that "hot apple pie fresh out of the oven" feel to it.

There is a delicate sprinkling of cinnamon too, but the spice never overpowers the other notes, just gently enhances them.

Underneath it all, is a lovely booziness that sets off the rest of the perfume.

Ambre Narguilé is a pretty linear scent. How it starts off is really not so different to how it finishes up, except it gets a little sweeter in the dry down.

The longevity is amazing...with lasting power of 12-16 hours minimum, and good sillage too.

I personally think this is the best fragrance out of the Hermessence collection, and it's my favorite scent from the house of Hermès.

tbozzo
tbozzo

I received a sample last week, and used two tiny dabs to test. It developed nicely as I was dressing; smooth, sweet with something familiar in the background. At first I thought it might be myrrh (my nose is not so precise yet) but after reading the reviews I understand it is tobacco I smell. What a surprise! I always avoided perfumes that had tobacco as a note for fear of smelling like a "smoker". I now realize this is a sweet, rich smell and have a bunch of new scents on my wishlist!

Back to the review. Ambre Nargile is unlike anything I've tried before, warm, delicious and amazing strength and silage. Two tiny dabs from a sample vial under my clothes and my husband (who can never seem to smell my perfume) asked me, "are you baking something?" he thought maybe cookies. He loves the scent, though I think he was hopeful for a dessert at the moment. He's never commented on any scent I wear without prompting, so that's a big deal. Now, will he part with the money for a FB? That remains to be seen. Maybe I better go bake some cookies...

edooardo
edooardo

Ambre Narguile is an enchantment that breathes a soul into the art of an evil spirit.
This is STRONG!
It has INFINITE LONGEVITY! Outstanding sillage !

The scent:
If you have ever smoked a narguile, you will realize that both are identical twins. If you overspray Ambre Narguile, you do feel the chewing tobacco inside your mouth.

Whereas you don´t know a narguile, or if you have only a very small sample, you will only smell a delicious cinnamon apple pie.

This is elegant, its beauty is beyond compare.

violoncello10

Outstanding scent, outstanding longevity and outstanding originality. I consider Ambre Narguilé one of the smartest perfumes I´ve ever smelled and wear.

Perhaps this scent is not propper for everyone, because of its sweetness (specially the first hour) but in spite of all, I think that no sensitive person would say that this stuff is not well done, that this smells bad or that it´s "PA' LA ROSSI"!

In my opinion, an authentic masterpiece of the modern perfumery.

Rankn504
Rankn504

If u wana smell like a fresh baked apple pie! this is your scent! It smells good but im not gona pay $235 to smell like apple pie..

A.M.H.2
A.M.H.2

I personally did not like this scent at all, I got it as a gift, tried very hard to like it especially that its expensive and its a Hermessence!
Didn't work out, mainly because i'm not very fond of amber, which is very pronounced here.
I would personally recommend this as a masculine scent, a gentlemans fragrance. I could not see it as a lady's fragrace, very strong and powerful!

nooory
nooory

To me this smells like walking into a "Shisha/Hookha/hubbly-bubbly" cafe next to a traditional perfumery where they lit an incense sample along with whiffs of the perfume oils (e.g. pure amber) coming out of the store, aaah

Living in the middle east means that the narguile note would be the most distinguishable to every nose. So basically, whenever i wear this everybody is like "mmm shisha!" lol not exactly the way i want to be remembered.
I get the cinnamon note others are detecting, and i absolutely love the dry down of this, smokey and sweet, so i wear it about 30mins to an hour before leaving the house and i wouldn't reapply because the staying power is awesome and i'm not a huge fan of the the opening notes, where i smell something that has been.. wet or something. I don't know, i just like this stuff but i'm not crazy about it..

ducktuck
ducktuck

Wow!!! I agree with Montezuma. I thought I was crazy thinking this smelled like boozie apple pie, but I'm not alone. After the apple pie this ends up smelling just like Nag Champa on me, which is great because I LOVE incense. This has amazing sillage, and lasts forever.

Majesty
Majesty

Ambre Narguile is the best seller of Hermessence line and probably the nicest of this exclusive line.Smells EXACTLY like an apple pie.Lots of cinnamon in the beginning,honey and a hint of incense.The drydown is not so cinnamon-y,way sweeter than the opening and more honey-sweet amber combo.It gets creamier,softer and sweeter as time passes.What bothers me is that cinnamon fades until the drydown so it tends to smell more like a cake!Also,it doesn't last more than 2h on my skin..Overall it is a very nice scent but I doubt if its high exorbitant price(170 euro) reflects its scent.I had it on my wish list..Not anymore.

aeli
aeli

- what a wonderful unique scent!

- very warm and cinnamony.

- great staying power, one single spritz on the wrist lasts forever and makes all the surrounding of you smell amazing.

- very very beautiful glass bottle with a nice hand-stitched leather cap!

Migotka
Migotka

Right, there is me playing the devil's advocate here... I know this one is expensive, and I know most people adore it. And while I like it, the more I test it, the more I wonder- what do people see in it.

Ambre narguile is a scent of an apple pie. Fresh, fragrant, straight from the oven. I am not sure if American people will get the same reference, I think apple pie where I live is a bit different, with a layer of dough and then crispy crust on the top rather than pastry. So Ambre Narguile smells like the apple pie I know from home- cinnamon, spices, honey, lots of sweet and sweetness, here a nice touch is also the slight smokiness coming from the (edible it seems) incense.

So that's about it. Yes, it is mouthwatering... but at the same time, it is only an apple pie. Nina Ricci Delice d'Epices pulls it off quite well too, for 1/3 of the price. Ambre Narguile, while beautiful, is just a touch too foody for me, and a touch to expensive to drool over it. That being said, it is the best of the whole Hermessence collection.

hnyc
hnyc

deeeee-licious!! this is my fall fragrance but i find myself wearing it to bed more than out!! it's a pretty linear fragrance, cinnamon, amber, a smaller dose of honey throughout wear. it's gourmand but grown up!

actually one day that i wore it to work, later in the day i did get a whiff of musk, which is odd because it's not listed as a note but maybe something to do with my body chemistry.

Also, I'm a woman and I think it smells great on women, I do get a lot of compliments. I think this is a true unisex.

zapling
zapling

I would not recommend this for women, but for a man, yes, it's a delicious, warm, boozy scent that is very powerful. It starts out like raisins or tawny port but it quickly changes to spicy, with a strong hint of alcoholic some-thing.
A masculine version of Botrytis.

Grottola
Grottola

Oh my God, this stuff is delicious. Best gourmand I've smelled yet.

Ambre Narguile's honey-incense-coumarin accord is to die for; it's delicious, never too sweet, and goes on for ages.

Edmond Roudnitska, probably the best perfumer of the past 50 years, once said that fragrances shouldn't smell like food. Ambre Narguille goes one step beyond food and enters the realm of olfactory delicacy. It's brilliant, and extremely comforting.

kalios55
kalios55

Ambre Narguilè: its smokiness, honey-like sweetness, and spiciness (the kinds that you would smell in desserts) gently hit my nose once applied on my wrist.

The scent is comfortably soothing. Although I have never been to an exotic spices bazaar in the middle east--I imagine Ambre Narguilè must be the way that the bazaar would smell like. The “amberish” dry down is old fashioned and it whispers “I’m classy.” Sweet, sensual, and gently spicy in a good way .. that is

Ambre Narguilè is not my type of perfume. I have not decided whether I like it but I do not have anything bad to say about it. Ambre Narguilè’s sillage & longivity score 10/10. There are only a few perfumes that last more than 12+ hours on my skin.

Heverton
Heverton

Ambre Narguilè, belonging to the luxury collection called Hermessence, from Hermes, begins with a strong aroma of honey with a touch of cinnamon. SENSATIONAL!

Over time, honey decays giving space to a slightly incensed tone, with a dominance of a note not mentioned, tobacco. Again ... SENSATIONAL!

And so the scent lasts for it's entire lifetime (which by the way is huge).

It is a fragrance that looks much like Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, but without the vanilla giving the gourmand touch, although the honey in here, is always present. A fragrance that is more like a food than a perfume itself, in my opinion! A warm, rich aroma, perfect for low temperatures. A real masterpiece from Jean-Claude Ellena.

bookwyrmsmith
bookwyrmsmith

On me this opens slighty mentholated for a few minutes in the topnotes.This is mixed with and then drowned by the tobbacco and vanilla .
I like it -it is a beautiful oriental.One of the other reviewers is right it IS very like the drydown of Opium -Opium Pour Homme edp that is.
I think I would love this on either gender and I intend to get a bottle or decant soon.

Oslo-fjord
Oslo-fjord

-A true Ellena masterpiece. Ambre Narguile is a gender-neutral sweet warm delicious fragrance. For the first 10 minutes it can be a bit to sweet, but after that it`s all about magic! Cinnamon, honey, caramel, amber, tobacco and spices.. I can`t imagine someone disslike this fragrance. 10 points!

Ekove
Ekove

Reworking

---//

Presentation: 9/10
Uniqueness: 10/10
Value: 9/10
Projection: 7/10
Smell: 10/10

Overall: 9/10

bettybooplennon
bettybooplennon

Me sorprende que en las notas de la fragancia no se incluya "cinnamon" y "cedar". Es verdad lo que se dice de este perfume, huele al paraiso(nunca he estado ahi pero lo imagino, ja,ja,ja.

Es una fragancia, simple, limpia, divertida, agradable y aun despues de todo eso, elegante!...como un billonario chupando una tootsie pop...

edit: Ahora se a que me recuerda exactamente esta fragrancia!, al "Vainillino Cotorro" desodorante de ambiente ^_~

George K.
George K.

Amber honey with swirls of smoke from the East. wool/cashmere.Turkish coffee/rum.Amber Honey.I love it !!!

Tom Ford er Hermes HERMESSENCE AMBRE NARGUILE opens very boozily on my skin and settles down to a rich, thick, voluptuous amber accented with delicious tobacco. This composition could easily have been put out by Tom Ford--not just because of the tobacco note, but also the general sumptuousness and governing aesthetic.

I do not smell apple pie or apples per se, but maybe the booziness could be an apple brandy? Anyway, I wore this on my courageous venture out to run a couple of errands today in yet another blizzard, and I have to say that the wafts of perfume traveling up my neck really warmed me up and put a smile on my face. This is a beautiful wintertime oriental amber composition: perfect for wearing under thick sweaters as one trudges through the snow. (Note to Geir Ness: THIS should be the essence of Norway...)

This perfumic, seductive elixir has pretty big sillage and excellent longevity. AMBRE NARGUILE is both intoxicating and comforting and definitely belongs on my wishlist!

trax
trax

I agree with ScentLover, this is applepie with lots of cinnamon ;) Really sweet. Skin chemistry have alot to say with this one! I do not at all recognize the notes my friends get from this.. Perfect for winter!

mal23
mal23

A very nice scent overall. For Fall/Winter months (Cold Weather). This scent's strength rest in the drydown when it becomes warm/apple/sugary/smooth incense type feel. However, the opening has some similarities to Thierry Mugler's Pure Malt. It is a little to sweet in the beginning and harsh to to senses.

Mokokos
Mokokos

Honey buns with sweet cinnamon! An arresting fragrance that progresses from the sweet beginning to amber in the drydown. Great fragrance and people want to know what you're wearing. It is so pleasing in the morning, I find myself sniffing my wrist just to enjoy it.

adele l
adele l

It opens incredibly sweet- almost too sweet but luckily it settles down quickly. Initially it smells like estee's amber ylang crossed with serge's chergui due to the pipe tobacco smell. But it is ultimately much easier to wear, warm and yummy with a hint of almond.

elusivek
elusivek

Fall is approaching and I have been trying many perfumes with a tobacco note to no avail, each seemed too pronounced and masculine. Until now.

To me this is the perfect for one of those cool autumn days where you break out the wool sweater. I also associate the scents more with Autumn than winter.

At first I get cinnamon and sweetness that is more like sugar than honey. It does progress into a honey note as it mixes with my chemistry. I also get the crisp apple as well. Then its warmed even further with just enough tobacco to comfort and add more warmth. Too many scents w tobacco are so in your face about it that it ruins it. Not this one. It's like a hug.

Picture it being cold/brisk outside, winter is coming, you are inside the warm cozy cottage looking out the window while sitting on your dad/gramp's favorite, well worn, comfy leather chair that smells faintly like the pipe tobacco he keeps on the table nearby as the aroma of apple pie baking wafts through the house.

Very comforting unisex late fall scent.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

This is one of those scents that’s comfortable feeling right out of the vial, full of apples, cinnamon, and warm, moist, tonka-laden pipe tobacco. I find this perfume especially interesting because a couple of days ago I sampled Brandy (not listed on Fragrantica, so no review), a perfume that supposedly was formulated based on the preferences of a horse named Brandy. Brandy is also mainly about apples, cinnamon and pipe tobacco, so there’s a great similarity between the two fragrances. Not being a horse person, I have no idea what horses like, but I can imagine that the same horse that likes Brandy would also like Ambre Narguile. As a human, I find Ambre Narguile more appealing because it’s got better sillage and longevity than Brandy, and it’s also got some incense-like notes in addition to the horse treats. This will be a great addition to my rotation of wear-to-work scents, ones that I like a lot, that last all day, and that I don’t think could possibly offend anyone.

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

This is the smell of a warm Middle Eastern coffeehouse-not the coffee-but warmth from baking baklava and the incomparable smell of top-notch tabacco from a shisha/ghalyun/hookah...whatever you want to call it. I'm not a smoker, but I've tried the hookah-I recommend it as an experience, but of course it's unhealthy-so if you haven't tried it, just dab/spritz on some Ambre Narguilé-it is intoxicating, but balanced.
Sublime.
Not a normal gourmand, if you want to call it a gourmand. Definitely not an Escada Private Collection kind of scent-gourmand as much as you can eat the coil of spicy and vapory apple-tabacco smoke from a gigantic outlandish glass waterpipe-So if you hate gourmands, try a high quality hookah with hot burning charcoals first, and then try this ;)

hapa
hapa

I had read about you but was a bit intimidated. You are a member of the Hermessence family and that made me very insecure. Sure, I have a few small accessories from Hermes and had smelled a few of your fragrances in department stores but I had never ventured into an Hermes store for fragrance. After reading so much about this Ambre Narguile, I simply had to try it for myself.

The Hermessence display is in the middle of the store with its bottles lined up so orderly and simply. Approaching it was difficult for I feared I would trip and somehow break it. I scanned the bottles and there you were. It was tempting to try the other fragrances in the Hermessence line but I was sticking to my mission.

The first spray surprised me so much it nearly knocked me over but then it enveloped me with its comforting warmth. It was like I had opened a piping hot oven filled with pastries being baked. The cinnamon, amber and was that apple (or did I imagine that from the cinnamon)surprised me and then I leaned in for a better smell. Was that tobacco? It couldn't be but later on that day I definitely smelled tobacco. What a strange combination I thought but as the day went on I just couldn't get over it. I was constantly sniffing my wrist. Was that vanilla? Incense? I knew it was love and marched back to buy the 100 ml bottle.

Spicy and warm seems like a better words for a meal than a fragrance but there is no other way to describe this one. The sweetness of this fragrance is not cloying nor sickly. It is more of a natural one that would be found in tamarind where the sweetness is tamed by its natural state and not tampered with by unnecessary sugar additions.

The bottle dwarfs the 30 ml bottle of Lolita Lempicka and I know LL might be a little jealous but I blame her. She is the one who introduced me to the concept of gourmand fragrances. I couldn't help but be enticed by this cousin of hers whom is more approachable but, oh, I pay for it just like anyone does for any unfaithfulness. Hermes Ambre Narguile has convinced me she is worth it and I now have been through several bottles.

When I wear it, which is often enough but sparingly applied it would be common enough that after a few minutes in conversation I will be asked "What are you wearing? It smells so good!" This is an edt and not edp but the staying power is exceptional.

This is a fragrance that smells good on a man but it has to be a certain kind of man. I have a male friend who wears a three price suit, smokes a pipe and is more gentleman than metrosexual and it smells fabulous on him. In fact, I would have to say it probably is a better match for him than me but I refuse to admit this perfume is not perfect on me and *gasp* possibly better on someone else.

Oh, this is definitely a cold weather fragrance in my opinion. It should be taken out for use when the summer wardrobe is replaced by the winter one. This is the kind of fragrance that enhances the wools and dark winter fabrics, something summer clothes with their patterns and lightness don't need.

Wristsniffer
Wristsniffer

Like another reviewer, when my boyfriend smelled this on me, he immediately associated it with apple pie. While I can see why, to my nose, this is more of a spiced coffee cake dessert, laced with cinnamon and more butter than apple.

Like Tom Ford's Private Blend Amber Absolute, this is one thick, heavy, sweet perfume. Of the two, I definitely prefer Ambre Narguile, as it's more complex than the former. If you don't like cinnamon, don't bother sampling Ambre Narguile but if you do, be prepared for a decadent splash of heaven. The cinnamon is blended so well with the amber that it smells almost edible and quite sugary. It's definitely a gourmand and very, very foody.

There's a faint apple in the background, to my nose, but on my skin, I get mostly amber, butter, cinnamon, sugar, and a spice I can't quite place. It must be the ginger, though I can't say that it smells exactly of ginger - it's much smoother and less sharp than the ginger accord typically used in perfumes. This is a very "wet" scent, and it's dryer woody tones (the incense accords) don't show up until much later in the dry-down.

I don't know that it's worth the price of a full bottle, but I'll do my best to snag a 15 ml bottle when fall rolls around again. The lasting power is amazing and you won't smell this on a ton of other people. I know it's unisex but, to my nose, this one is undoubtedly a feminine (sorry, guys)!

veruska
veruska

This is my mystical gourmand.Although those stewed fruits and burnt sugar smells most of the time have a "sweet home" comforting nature, Ambre narguile sucks me in it's exotic style and give the whole picture a bronze mysterious tint.Still it's a nice honeyed amber, spicy but in certain moments slightly cool, that it's easy to like although i do'nt love it as much as i thought before!

First on, I get Amber and spice and sugar. Mid dry, raisons arrive. Long drydown, warm beeswax and faint almonds enter the mix. Overall, this is a strangely soapy scent, but also warm and edible. I know it's too too much for many, but when it works, it works like a miracle, and I love this one. It truly is worth the outrageous price tag if it works for you. If you like Amber at all, try this one. If you don't like amber (many don't work on my skin) but you like spiced gourmands, try this one. If you like layered, edible soapy cleans, try this one.

rebella

Now I am sitting here with my small (15 ml) bottle of Ambre Narguilé and it is worth every penny, actually I could have paid more than I did.

My first impression is that I want to drink it straight out of the bottle, and having slight problems not to spray the perfume in my mouth. Also I cant imagine any fragrance better suiting this time of year, the weeks just before christmas, it is kind of the optimal (The One) Christmas Fragrance, but without being to much. It is spicy, yet light, it is warm yet not cloying it is gourmand but not to sweet, sensual, a bit buttery, the most delightful spices and the basenote is so magical with soft spice and lingering incense.

Even if I found it very good for Christmas time, I do belive it could be wear all year round, but best suitable for the colder months.

I think it smells so good I imagine I have a golden, glowing aura around me when I wear it.

So, get your hands on a sample of this as fast as possible and then start figuring out a way to get your hands on a bottle of it. Really, really good and pretty and jummy and longlasting and amazing and I wonder if there is anyone out there actually NOT liking it?

Sorry, but now I´m off to have my nose against my wrist for some hours or so.

rebella

Oh, I am testing this right now for the very first time and it is sooooo gorgeus. It almost make me drool... You must try it, and I must figure out a way to get a big bottle of it. :) I will write a better review later, when I have wear it for longer than 10 minutes!

Scent lover
Scent lover

I love this cheery pie, very warm with plenty of cinnamon :) That's how I would call it. The lasting power is amazing and I tend to get plenty compliments for it.

Hermessence Ambre Narguile by Hermes 4.45 out of 5 based on 823 ratings and 137 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Hermes Hermessence Ambre Narguile fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Hermes Hermessence Ambre Narguile, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Hermessence Ambre Narguile by Hermes. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Hermessence Ambre Narguile by Hermes represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.