Designers » F-H » Oriental Fougere « Groups

Hermessence Brin de Reglisse Hermes for women and men

Hermessence Brin de Reglisse Hermes for women and men
dislike

herbal
Hermessence Brin de Reglisse Hermes for women and men Pictures Hermessence Brin de Reglisse Hermes for women and men Pictures

Created in 2004 by Jean-Claude Ellena, Hermessence is a collection of unique fragrances conceived as olfactory poems using perfuming’s most exclusive elements. As sober and intense as Japanese haiku, they reinvent a nature that is as precious as it is unusual, as if rendered by the inspired writing of a composer in search of the new.

Enriched each time the perfumer discovers a new country, a language, a culture or simply extraordinary new ingredients, as of today the line consists of eight fragrances, exclusively available in Hermès stores.

Brin de Réglisse: a quintessential blend of exquisite lavender wrapped in liquorice, the mischievous reconstruction of an olfactory symbol of the South of France reinvented by the gourmet touch of a ribbon of liquorice. “Dressed in mat black, an magnified lavender, memory and landscape…” Hermessence Brin de Reglisse was launched in 2007.

Hay Licorice Lavender

Eau de Fleurs Lavande
Lavandula

Hermessence Brin de Reglisse Fragrance Reviews

Ziggy2012
Ziggy2012

The opening was a surprise, and a pleasant one.

I expected a blast of liquorice. But no, it's really subtle and soft. Liquorice, 'anise', lavender, and what is described as 'hay'. It is a lovely and just subtly sweet accord.

Unfortunately, it only lasted on my skin about 2-3 hours and sat fairly close, but it was really nice

It's unisex and maybe someone with different skin chemistry will get better longevity

jhitt793
jhitt793

Being not a fan of licorice, this fragrance was already doomed as far as my olfactory tastes go. There is however, a beautiful composition here which is daring and unique in every way. The inspiration for the scent as described by Hermes is a fragrant field of Provençal lavender, and in the opening there is a very heavy herbal lavender tone. This lavender is more camphorous and less floral in its rendering. It mixes quite well with the sharp and "biting" scent of licorice wood. Initially I feared a pungent or synthetic licorice odor, like that of commercially fabricated candies. Instead what one finds is a less "chemical" and more organic/earthy licorice. A dash of hay gives a slight dampness and animalic quality to the scent, which aides to soften the pointy licorice note (pure genius on behalf of Ellena for its inclusion). Like an unbridled black steed grazing a bucolic countryside, dotted with blooming lavender. (96)

Roge'
Roge'

Usually, i like weird and this is definitely a weird one. I'm gonna try to describe this in two words: Beautiful Hay. That's all i can add in terms of smell. Brin de Reglisse is more like a smell and not like a fragrance. I can't figure out if i like this or not. On second thought: It really doesn't matter if i like it or not because the longevity sucks.

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

I won't comment on the BDR's scent because the reviews written so far are accurate in terms describing scent and composition. I'll just say that I like, but don't love, the smell of it. 7/10

On the points of longetivity, projection and silage, BDR is a poor performer on me. It simply does not last long, about 1 hour on me. It has a low projection as it goes skin-level within 30 minutes. Last, it has little silage. 3/10

If you like this lavander and licorice note I would highly recommend trying Dior's Eau Noir before buying BDR. Dior's EN is more elegant and sophisticated. It is an EDP (I believer BDR is an EDT), so the smell of the notes and the performance are much better. You get more for the money (BDR is priced at $240 for 3.3 oz and EN is priced $155 for 4.25 oz). Both have the licorice/lavender smell (they are both very similar in that regard), but you will just get much more w/ Dior's EN.

Prince Barry
Prince Barry

One of the few Ellena's that I've liked. The only other one was Terre d'Hermes parfum.

mrssusangraham
mrssusangraham

Nice but very weak scent.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

A very linear, underwhelming composition; a clear, bitter-sweet black licorice opening, crisp and wonderful....and that is it. The other notes do not come to the fore, there is no juxtaposition of elements, there is no revelation in the mid or dry-down stages, just a very nice licorice note that fades rather quickly.

Johnnysmells
Johnnysmells

To me it starts off with a curry aroma...that's where i stop..i love curried everything when it's on a plate but not for the first 45 minutes on me!It does turn into a nice aroma but i gag from the start.

jasonchickerson
jasonchickerson

Brin de Réglisse is a straightforward, linear accord of aniseed and lavender. On skin, there is also a note of lightly roasted coffee, as other reviewers have noted, which tries but doesn't manage to impart much depth or complexity. There is also not much in the way of sillage, so you wear this for yourself.

In this way Brin is almost antagonistic to the idea of a perfume, which might appeal to some, but being such a simple, overly gourmand fragrance, it fails completely to blend, to become part of the wearer. Throughout its short, linear life, I feel as if I am walking around with a sachet of lavender and aniseed in my jacket pocket. Sounds not bad until you recall the 170 dollars you paid for the privilege.

Hérmès and J C Ellena call the Hermessence line olfactory haikus, but they are merely sketches, no flesh, no life. The upside of which is that great results can be had by layering if you have the inclination and the cash.

I tested Brin de Réglisse with Poivre Samarcande, a black pepper and wood scent that works wonderfully on its own, and the result was much more powerful than either achieves alone. In fact, the pair smells so wonderful together, like smokey, spicey licorice tea with an undercurrent of salty skin, I'd wear it regularly if not for the 300 bucks it would cost me for a bottle of each.

ducktuck
ducktuck

Beautiful natural lavender. I've been searching for something true to the lavender bush that graces my garden, and so far this has been the best. Within the first 1/2 hour the licorice starts to grow in this and mixes flawlessly. Gorgeous, dirty lavender with a licorice twist.
Lasts a few hours and stays close to the skin.

Majesty
Majesty

Brin de Reglisse is all about dry lavender while I don't see lavender listed here. It's the main ingredient of Brin de Reglisse. I smell lavender and dark coffee! Dry,bitter lavender and coffee!I really appreciate a nice lavender perfume but I appreciate longevity too..Brin de Reglisse does not last!! I get the impression of lavender for 10 minutes and then it's...gone!I smell nothing!I suppose that for this price level I had to smell at least something!!!Anyway..overall it's a well constructed perfume,all I am askiing for is a better lasting power..

The Finnish firm Panda produces some of the best black licorice around: all natural and rich in molasses. Among my favorite products from their line are the herbal black nibs, which, according to the ingredients listed on the box, add to their already superlative recipe the following herbs:

Peppermint leaves, Shop vervain wort, Orange leaves, Marsh Mallow root, Glycyrrhiza glabra [which I believe is just licorice?], Blackberry leaves, Plantain herb, Thyme leaves, Torch weed flowers, Lungworth leaves, Elder flowers, Milfoil flowers, Iceland moss, Sage leaves, Star anise, Mallo flowers, Primrose flowers, Red poppy flowers.

I think that this entry in the Hermes Hermessence series, BRIN DE REGLISSE, is quite similar to the concept behind Panda Licorice flavored with herbs. The difference being that BRIN DE REGLISSE throws in a touch of lavender and omits the herbs included in the Panda confection. When all is said and sniffed and chewed, I think that Panda has produced a better herbal-black licorice perfume. I like BRIN DE REGLISSE, but I love Panda, and I'd rather eat their nibs than smell like them.

puddley
puddley

Hmmm.. both underwhelmed and a bit impressed if that's possible?
I finally plucked up courage to enter the intimidating Hermes shop today for a long awaited test. As a huge fan of Caron's Eau de Reglisse I wanted a comparison.

Brin de Reglisse is certainly LOVELY, soft, warm, comforting, gentle.. but, it seems to have no sillage whatsoever. You would have to spray this really generously to smell it on yourself and possibly spray it continuously for somebody else to get a whaft as you pass. It's gone in an hour. At £150 a bottle that is not good.

The only capacity in which I see this this working is to save it for when you are going to get close up to someone. It's scent is very much like a soft natural body smell and in that way it's very sexy. But really, is there anypoint in getting this little fragrance for £150? Sadly, I think not. Though if I ever win the lottery I will consider an hourly dose..

ps. I've just read some of the other review on here and I absolutely agree that it had a pleasantly 'salty' element. I wonder if that's why it is reminiscent of the human body/skin smell?

Grottola
Grottola

WOOOOOOAAAAAAAH! LICORICE EXPLOSION! Brin de Reglisse is all about licorice, so if you like licorice, here's your true calling. Personally, I don't like it.

Smells like Dritte Salze licorice coins, which I love. There's a brief herbal note like the herbs/mint in SenSen breath candy, but mostly it's a smooth, faint herbal salty licorice. It's VERY faint, though, very skin-close and doesn't last very long. Plus my husband hates black licorice, so I won't be buying this. Otherwise, a must try for licorice fans.

George K.
George K.

The wind of the mistral caressing a sprig of lavender ,a coat of liquorice,a breeze of hay and a soft sigh of orange blossom.

_lolita_
_lolita_

This is the first fragrance by Hermes that actually works on me..and I adore it.
I am a huge liquorice fan anyway but the mixture with lavender makes Brin de Reglisse extraordinary and special.
The lavender comes first an adds a comfortably touch to the whole composition, then liquorice appears like a strangely beautiful black butterfly.
It is not the typical sweet candy liquorice odour but rather edgy, salty-bitter and nonchalant.
There is no dramatic sillage and unfotunately no extraordinary longlivetiy, rather subtle.
Might not be everybodys cup of tea but if BdR is your type, it could grow to be an addiction.;)
A quite unusual and enchanting perfum.

rebella
rebella

After falling in love in Ambre Narguile I had some hopes on this one to.

And the opening is so lovely that I almost starts jumpin up and down, like an inside of my head explosion of the most powerful and yet pleasant lavendel and licorice cloud. So absolutly stunning! But then my skins ability to suck up everything with licorice in starts to work, and after only a coupple of minutes the licorice is gone and unfortunatly it takes the most of the fragrance with it! Sniffing my wrist and wanting the magic back so bad, but no... after about an hour I can`t almost not smell it anymore, just the lightest remainings of lavendel, and offcourse no coffee on my skin...

But the opening makes it worth to have tried it anyway. The opening is... well, I want it back over and over again, like a labrat pushing the button for... guess it must have been Brin de Reglisse, right? ;)

Boggi
Boggi

I recived a long desired sample from fraganticamember, F_A. Thank you so much! Very honest and natural fragrance. Simple ,unusual combination of realistic licorice and lavender. This is a very different perfume. Love it!!

F_A
F_A

Very beautiful notes of lavender and licorice, soft and warm coffee base. Worth trying!

Hermessence Brin de Reglisse by Hermes 3.86 out of 5 based on 97 ratings and 20 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Hermes Hermessence Brin de Reglisse fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Hermes Hermessence Brin de Reglisse, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Hermessence Brin de Reglisse by Hermes. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Hermessence Brin de Reglisse by Hermes represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.