Designers » F-H » Aromatic Spicy « Groups

Hermessence Epice Marine Hermes for women and men

Hermessence Epice Marine Hermes for women and men
dislike

marine
Hermessence Epice Marine Hermes for women and men Pictures Hermessence Epice Marine Hermes for women and men Pictures Hermessence Epice Marine Hermes for women and men Pictures Hermessence Epice Marine Hermes for women and men Pictures

Hermessence Epice Marine by Hermes is a Aromatic Spicy fragrance for women and men. This is a new fragrance. Hermessence Epice Marine was launched in 2013. The nose behind this fragrance is Jean-Claude Ellena. The fragrance features cumin, hazelnut, sesame, cinnamon, cardamom, bergamot, sea notes, whiskey, vetiver and oakmoss.

Cumin Hazelnut Sesame Cinnamon Cardamom Bergamot Sea Notes Whiskey Vetiver Oakmoss

Declaration
Hermes Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche

Hermessence Epice Marine Fragrance Reviews

nero77
nero77

It would not be fair to call Epice Marine an "aquatic" fragrance, since the word "aquatic" has usually meant calone, melon/watermelon notes mixed with a little salt and a hint of musk. This is not what is on offer here.

This fragrance was a collaboration between Jean-Claude Ellena, the perfumer, and chef Olivier Roellinger. Ellena has made a fragrance inspired by two things... a love of spices, and the coast of Brittany. He uses cumin, cardamom and cinnamon, along with whiskey and other notes, to evoke the smell of a rocky shore, complete with salt air and a hint of that seaweed aroma on the atlantic coast.

That said, here's what I get out of it. As soon as I sprayed this, I knew it was a gourmand for me. I don't mean gourmand as in chocolate or caramel etc. This reminded me of food, specifically, the spices used to put on fish dressings and salads. I cook fish, and I use fresh lime, dry cumin, garlic and a hint of pimento to spice up the fish. As soon as I sprayed this that is what I got. An incredibly fresh lemon drizzled over fresh fish with spices. It's incredibly evocative and refreshing.

The cumin note here is not a 'sweaty' one as people would expect, here Ellena has used toasted cumin in the top and mid, which gives it a kind of sesame-like flavour. It's fresh, spicy and nutty all at the same time! I really like this one, but as with all the Hermessence line, the top note fades quickly and you have to keep reapplying. Still a good one though. Recommended try.

jhitt793
jhitt793

As with his other offerings within the Hermessence line, Jean-Claude Ellena expresses his artistic gifts in capturing an olfactory memory in his most recent creation; Epice Marine. I must admit that the opening burst of cumin (though masterfully balanced with bergamot) was slightly off putting at first. Thankfully these top notes are left to scintillate away, leaving a breadth of artistic nuances behind to discover. Anyone who has visited the oceanside will appreciate the way in which Ellena has captured its marine notes in this fragrance. Cumin, cardamom, cinnamon and sesame intermingle here to create the salty, briny ocean air. It is here a said "algae note" can be detected, which lends a watery accord. Vetiver with its woody, vegetal qualities reminds me of the elegant grasses which dot the sand dunes and dance in the sea breeze. Lastly, there are subtle notes of whiskey and oak moss in the base which add a layer of smokiness and soften the salty/marine notes. It is wonderful to see what a great mind and artistic genius can create when he is given complete creative license. Recently nominated for 2014 Fifi in the best luxury fragrance category, and very well deserved of the recognition. (121)

deadidol
deadidol

It held my interest for a few hours, and I enjoyed some of the raunchier aspects of algae and cumin, but it didn’t grab me in any meaningful way. It felt more retrogressive than forward thinking, and the fact that it seemed so buffed and polished, juxtaposed against a general lack of bombast, seemed like a deflation of sorts. With that said, I appreciated that it wasn't an imposition to wear, and I think it’s a scent that would compliment rather than dominate the wearer’s skin. The balance struck between nice and noxious was also noteworthy, but it just wasn’t enough to win me over.

Note-wise, it went on somewhat grungy with distinct dry spices (cumin / salt) over a mossy seaweed, but neither were pushed to threatening levels, and the scent maintained a somewhat old-school impression merged with Declaration's musty, sweaty notes. There appeared to be something resinous and slightly balsamic merging the more prominent notes, but I’m not entirely sure what it was. It ended quite mossy with a norlimbanol cardboard-ish thing at the very last stages. As with most of the Hermessence line, it was short-lived and tastefully diaphanous.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

I like this scent more and more each time I wear it. I have given it a number of trials on my skin before writing this review. I agree that the first time you try it, Epice Marine seems like a rather simple salty sea scent, but I have found lovely depths to it on re-trials. It's a well done mix of salty sea scent and spices- the cumin note does not overpower and I think it is beautifully balanced with the whiskey note, the nuts and the big salty sea note. Makes me think of sitting at a bar near the ocean with a cup of hazelnut cappucino with whiskey added and a plate of some kind of spicy food. And maybe a couple of sweaty sailors walking by :-) This is lovely layered with Ambre Gris, which I know a lot of people do not like either, but I do.

It feels like a North Sea winter scent and I love the ocean in the winter, the wonderful salty scent mixed with warmer scents of cooking, fires, woods, moss, etc.

Shtefitza

This is a very interesting scent! I gotta admit I am a little biased. I love Cancale, the beaches of Brittany (Bretagne, its oysters and I love Provence. The combination of those two natural settings, combined with spices intrigued me. The scent does transport me to nature, a layered experience with somewhat "dry" undertone. I love Elena's "Jardin sur le Toit" as well. They are diametrically opposite. Le Toit is mild, fruity, grassy, I can almost feel the freshness of the dew. With Epice Marine I feel awakening harshness of the sand, oysters and salt. Master Elena builds a story where the perfume wearer can transport her(him)self. Almost as if I was reading a book. Similarly I get transported to another landscape when I wear Jardin sur Nil or Mediteranee. Very interesting experiences, I would not wear Nil and Mediteranee though. They are too narrative in my mind. Le Toit and Epice are not that narrative. They are abstract enough so I still remain present im my day, in my workplace, my city. I am not distracted by them. Narrative enough to stirr my imagination. I love how these complicated perfumes stir my emotions, my intelligence... I hope my review is not too confusing... :)

Shtefitza

I read a review on Epice Marine months ago. I looked for it in Europe and California. Cannot wait no more... ordered it last night, blindly. Looking forward to testing it! :)

Epice Marine is as interesting as a fireworks show at noon.

I'll probably find myself swimming against the stream here but, honestly, I don't think this is nowhere
close being a successful Ellena.

Yet another iteration (micro-variation) on the Declaration theme. In a nutshell, considering how many times Mr.Ellenà proposed alternate versions of his popular composition, this would have been more appropriately labelled as Declaration V.87.4. It feels just like Apple that keeps on releasing basically the same devices with just a new (re-designed) knob.

They squeazed this poor lemon till the very last drop. Give it a break. Eat a banana.

So, part Declaration, part Voyage with the typical transparent facet of most Hermessences. This time it's something slightly salty, sort of calone-y. That's it. Smells ok (no more than that) but the big problem is it's neither as brilliant as Declaration, nor as honest as Voyage. It's totally lukewarm water sold at uber-fancy prices.

You can build around Epice Marine as much conceptualism as you want but this is just Declaration V.87.4.

I honestly expected everything except what I got. Which in this case doesn't mean surprise.

FAIL

Rating: 4.5/10

EnPassant
EnPassant

I like some Hermessences (love only one) and I really wanted to do a nice review about this one... But I can't! The reason is simple... Ellena's minimalism is making me nervous!!! I can't stand anymore.
The fragrance is not that bad! Buuuut... I can live without it! And for me that's not a good thing.
Starts very citrusy and then... cummin (a lot of), sea notes and whiskey. Projection and  longevity  is average to weak!
To sum up: another nice fragrance but nothing earthshaking.
Thanks God I bought the 4x 15 ml bottles... I'll keep one for myself and the remainders will be Christmas gifts!

On the other hand, today I also got Bois d'Encens by Armani Prive and Tuberose Criminelle by Lutens and I'm in  heaven with both of them... And maybe this is one more reason that helps my brain to put EM in the  "cool but not impressive"  or "could be better -but don't ask me how-" category.

EDIT: OMG! I can't wear it anymore... I tried 4 times. Makes me ill! Not for me... Not in my wardrobe... Not even the little 15 ml bottle!

LupeX
LupeX

Elena's nouveau addition to the Hermessence collection starts out as refreshing as a sprout of cold spring waters. Laden with notes that are redolent of Neroli & Orange blossoms, cool mint and bergamot. Once it settles, your olfactive palate is intrigued by a coy ambery base that give radiance and warmth to the composition - and very soon a seemingly of out of place semi-sweetness. As an epilogue Epice presents the observer with the spice notes that its nomenclature promised. The accords give a woody sparkly bite to the composition which could lead some to eXperience this fragrance as a 'cleaning products' type fragrance. To my olfactive palate it straddles that line with finesse. EM is all cool seas and a warm summer's sun. It's very comparable to the TOMFORD Private Blends superstar fragrance Neroli Portofino in its drydown stages @ about the 8hr mark when its ambery base makes its appearance. Along with Neroli Portofino this is one of the best aquatic frags you will ever eXperience.
Projection is room filling & Longevity is eXcellent.
Cheers & Smell Well!

michael.j
michael.j

Monsieur Ellena did not really push himself on this one. It smells very much like another of his creations, Bigarade (Éditions de Parfums), but with boatloads of cumin. The top notes are predictably and satisfyingly fresh, but the cumin in the dry-down dominates everything after the first half hour, skating uncomfortably close to the body odor smell for which cumin has become so infamous in perfumery.

mjkpecwt
mjkpecwt

huge disappointment with this, dominant by cumin on gourmand side. Not very pleasure on my skin.

This was a recycle of mixing Sel de Vetiver and Declaration with a touch of Bigarade.

ezdravkova
ezdravkova

In stores already.. I can't wait to test it (7 more days .. wooo-saaa LOL)

Hermessence Epice Marine by Hermes 3.41 out of 5 based on 56 ratings and 12 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Hermes Hermessence Epice Marine fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Hermes Hermessence Epice Marine, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Hermessence Epice Marine by Hermes. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Hermessence Epice Marine by Hermes represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.