Designers » F-H » « Groups

Hermessence Iris Ukiyoé Hermes for women and men

Hermessence Iris Ukiyoé Hermes for women and men
dislike

The house of Hermes adds another interesting fragrance to their prestigious collection Hermessence - Iris Ukiyoé . Hermessence is a collection of unique fragrances conceived as olfactory poems using most exclusive elements in perfumery. These fragrances are just like Japanese haiku, they reinvent nature that is as precious as it is unusual.

Iris Ukiyoé joins the collection in the beginning of November 2010. Its perfumer is Jean Claude Ellena, who has also created other eight fragrances of this collection. He envisaged this perfume to be created around the central ingredient – purple iris flower. This floral bouquet is full of nuances and paradoxes, created or rose, orange blossom and mandarin.

The word Ukiyoé is a Japanese word denoting “images of the floating world”, and reflects admiration of perfumer, collector and lover of Japanese prints in artistic expression that finds inspiration in nature.

The latest fragrance of the Hermessence collection can be recognized by purple colour of its cap and leather case. Its flacon itself is see-through and made of glass. The fragrance arrives on the market as100 ml EDT. The nose behind this fragrance is Jean-Claude Ellena.

iris African Orange flower Mandarin Orange Rose

Hermessence Iris Ukiyoé Fragrance Reviews

Liamsardea
Liamsardea

It’s a crisp spring morning and the long crepuscular rays of sunlight hits the garden and creates a warm embrace. Fresh blooming flowers of iris and rose secrete the sweet scent of florals; these smells are unlike anything else, they are natural. After a light morning mist the smells take on an even stronger quality of verdant vibrancy. Green, dewey, saccharine and lavish, with just enough re-twang to not be too monoscented. The Hermessence ‘Iris Ukiyoé’ captures the scent of a subtle spring morning.

It begins with an incredible combination of mandarin and iris without powder in sight. Orange mandarin and purple iris intermingle to replicate the dew and the sweet intoxication of blooming florals. A note of honey and rose give sweetness that works hand in hand to create the scent of the countryside. This fragrance creates the exact same phenomenon of pushing your nose deep into the petals of a pink rose or purple iris next to a mandarin tree with light mist in the background(again).

Because of this ‘wet’ character – Iris Ukiyoé could pass for an aquatic-ozonic cologne that is paramount for this particular scents extraordinarily realistic character. A little bit of bitterness comes through that it detectable at the back of the senses and permeates the nose; as you would expect from either rose or iris flower – or perhaps even orange flower and mandarin pith.

The absence of orris root means there is no powderiness whatsoever. Often iris and orris root come as pairs and something to accept in these fragrances, and without it makes for a welcome change. Instead you get a purely sweet vegetable aroma. Simple, but devastatingly effective; like a haiku poem.

Hyper realistic
Spring morning dewdrop floral
Total masterpiece

After approximately two hours this becomes a skin scent and sillage is moderate. Attuned for femininity, however completely unisex. It’s unique for men as there are totally no woods, no musks or nothing animalic about this; just light flowers and a feminine style of elegance. Daytime only.

It’s like shoving your head in a bouquet of freshly picked flowers in the wet springtime. Not for me, however. 4/5

moniote
moniote

Longevity : 2 hours or so ! More a perfume aura or a skinscent ..than a real eau de toilette
Expensive..though !

nero77
nero77

Like a delicate watercolour painting...

Jean-Claude Ellena is famous for creating "transparent" perfumes. This one is inspired by Japanese watercolour paintings. The smell of Iris as a flower is not really addressed in most perfumes, as most perfumes focus on the root (known as Orris) and not the flowers themselves, a good example being Chanel No. 19.

That being said, Iris Ukiyoé smells like fresh flowers still dripping wet with dew and water. I get a sparkling citrus, mostly grapefruit and mandarin, followed by orange blossom and fresh rose. This smells exactly like putting your nose into a bouquet of flowers still damp and dripping wet with cold rain. It's incredibly natural. It almost has a citrus-floral-aquatic like vibe. But it's masterfully made (and not at all powdery, more natural and transparent).

I would recommend anyone to try out this fragrance, if only to get a feel for what Jean-Claude Ellena does at his best. To me it's more of an expression of olfactive art than it is wearable. I find it very delicate and fragile. But if you want an authentic Iris flower (not Orris root) accord, then this is the best out there.

marinaw90
marinaw90

This is an exquisite fragrance. A true floral with no messing around. It is in its simplicity that it shines. It transports you to an English country garden walking among the fresh blooming flowers and zingy grasses. It is a fairly light fragrance and its downside is its weak sillage. But saying that, for those who like their perfumes discreet and unassuming this is perfect for you. Elegant in every way.

temporalgrace
temporalgrace

This is a very real iris. It isn't makeup power or iris root, but beautiful purple iris blossoms. There's the tiniest hint of orange blossom, and a rose note that is not rose blossoms but slightly pickled rose water. The scent is light and beautiful and crisp, intensely feminine without at all conforming to the typical template for a feminine scent. I can't really say anything much about it that hasn't already said. It's beautiful and different and any iris lover will fall for it. The real shame is the price. This is far too expensive for me to justify purchasing the large bottle. Luckily I have a large sample tube I can decant into an atomizer, so I can treasure this watercolor masterpiece while it lasts.

alchemist1976stephanie
alchemist1976stephanie

This is a different kind of iris. The soapiness that is so typical of it stays very timidly in the background simply adding a veil of skin scent to the otherwise perfectly blended composition. It conjures memories of fancy smelling drawer liner paper I once had only it has so much more going on in the quietest way. Very airy, floral and with just the right amount of sweetness. Although not in my plans to buy, you must experience this!

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

A truly stunning Jean-Claude Ellena scent. The mandarin orange greets you with a citrusy tang followed by a very realistic iris flower, joined by soft orange blossom and a lovely rose in the background. I think there are more citrusy elements in this juice, such as bergamot and some grapefruit or lemon.

This is a spare scent, cool like a garden in the morning after a rainshower. Something in this says water and rain. It is simple and elegant but speaks volumes. Iris Ukiyoe is like a haiku poem, an open airy frame for a beautiful Japanese garden.

Longevity is actually pretty good, although it does become a close to the skin scent after about 2 hours. You will think the fragrance is gone and then you get a beautiful waft of fragrance when you move your arm or re-arrange your hair. A must-try for iris lovers.

I kept thinking this combination of notes was somewhat familiar- it is like a pared down version of Tauer's beautiful Zeta, which also features citruses, orange flower and orris root. The Tauer has linden blossom as well, but I think there may be linden in Iris Ukiyoe also, or maybe it is just more creamy orange blossom. At any rate, it's gorgeous!

amyewest
amyewest

It smells very much like a gin and tonic - light, citrusy and just a tiny bit of bitterness. In warm weather I can smell a bit of warmth in the base notes. In winter, it's purely the sparkly citrus. Looking forward to the first hot days to wear this again. Too cold where I live to do so until April or later.

mippymuppett
mippymuppett

A beautiful stunning iris! JCE nailed this one!!! Were I a poet I would write something lovely to try and capture the essence of Iris Ukiyoé. Not many perfumes put me at a loss for words but this one does. This is soft, floral and elegant. No earthy carrots here. I think this may be my favorite of the Hermesessence line and a must try for iris lovers!!! My only concern, as others have stated, is the projection and longevity.

I love this one so much though that I will be happily spraying away!!!

jhitt793
jhitt793

Oh wow, I must say this is likely one of the most realistic and beautiful floral scents ever imagined. The purple iris note here is so truly authentic as to be unbelievable. Orange blossom offers a white floral sweetness (almost honey/animalic accord) which blends beautifully with the bashful iris. Rose is subtle here, but does imbue a velvety richness to the fragrance. Mandarin is only really appreciated in the first few moments of the opening, beginning things brightly. Serene, chaste, elegant, ethereal, pure... all connotations that of which I would ascribe to this impressionistic masterpiece. (97)

Bartdino
Bartdino

Clean, ethereal, light cologne. Absolutely unisex. Very simply, classic and elegant but modern at the same time. Not loud and longevity its not at the best but stay as a skin scent long time. Worth the high price for me. A must try

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

So you go out to a garden, pick a fragrant yellow rose, a purple iris, some orange flowers, and bring them all back in the house where you arrange the simple bouquet next to a bowl of freshly picked organic mandarins.... not the ones that are sprayed with pesticides or the ones that have ever been in the fridge. No. Everything here is fresh and natural, and it even seems to me that those flowers might have been picked right after a rain shower, right when the sun shines again and warms the droplets on the petals... yes. That's what this smells like. Those flower-infused droplets of rain in the sun as if beautiful elves had used them to make a mandarin and rain water nectar.

(I swear I am not on drugs... I go on)

A painting of beautiful Krishna surrounded by a doe and a peacock comes to mind.... oh this is delicate and beautiful. Simple but heavenly.

I believe only Ellena can inspire me to write like this. Vetiver Tonka on one wrist and Iris Ukiyoé on the other, and it is true what they say.... you can wear the Hermessence perfumes combined together to create beautiful new scents. I almost cried.

pbluberry
pbluberry

I love iris scent but for some reason I can't do an iris soliflora so this is a very happy medium for me. I can't say it smells like iris but there is something to it that just smells great. This line is very natural almost neutral smelling to me. I like it but there is definitely no projection at all. It project more like an aura than a scent.

smelling_gr8
smelling_gr8

Iris? What iris?! Honestly!
This is a nice inoffensive slightly citrusy floral with poor projection and longevity. It is quite light and would be suited well for work setting on a spring breezy day.
It's nice but nothing special and certainly not worth the cost in my opinion.

lisa o
lisa o

I know iris flowers and their smell well. as a child it was my favorite flower because the smell somehow reminded of a strange and delicious cake.
still in spring I crawl on the meadows to smell the wild, dark purple ones.

as presumably everybody here knows, iris flowers' delicate spicy sweet vanillic smell is totally different from the root (with its many different aspects) that we're used to in perfumes.... Iris Ukiyoé is more about "the idea" of the flower than a hologram (I find it too citric and too rosy also has a slight tuberose-and-tomato-aspect which the flower absolutely doesn't have in my opinion, but I imagine it to be difficult to reproduce the scent of the flower). but while I find it isn't too much recalling the real thing, Iris Ukiyoé is touching in it's subtlety. it's tenderly intellectual so to say, or intellectual without radicalness...and very beautiful at the same time...my mother robbed almost all of my stock and she normally doesn't wear perfume...

CoolBreezes
CoolBreezes

There is a purity to this scent that takes my breath away. This perfume is not about the cultivated garden iris. Rather, it captures native Blue Flag growing wild in summer-hot wetlands on the edge of shade in damp soil next to water's edge, chock full of life and promise...cool, alive, fresh and green.

hunterblu
hunterblu

Oh my God! I think I have died and gone to heaven. This is absolutely the most stunning fragrance I have ever smelled. If I were a perfumer this is the fragrance I would creat for myself. I am an iris lover for sure but this...this is perfection. It is wet, green, simple, not boring. It smells like a perfect moment; sitting in the backyard, early morning, April and the iris' are all in bloom, the dew from the night before is still collected on the purple petals and as the morning sun hits the ground around you it starts to evaporate the moisture out of the earth and off the grass and flowers.

I am obsessed! Thank you Hermes.

mohmd.taha
mohmd.taha

As a lover of Unisex fragrances ,I just found the best line for them , and this Iris fragrance is the best of them ,it is awfully beautiful iris with rose and orange notes, the underlying soapiness is amazing.Sillage& longevity are above average.This goes directly to my want list.

Matt Oldham
Matt Oldham

I immediately thought of Philosykos, not because it smells like that, but because it is so startlingly realistic just as Philosykos is. Like smelling an actual flower. Wow. Then mandarin comes on strong and it's a beautiful match. I like almost as much as Osmanthe Yunnan but the price is kind of hard to take on these, beautiful as they are, because they are so quiet. I really have to spray myself good to enjoy for more than half an hour. I wish they sold giant bottles for a reasonable price to use like 4711.

On clothes, it turns out, it's a very different story: lasts forever and doesn't change. Living iris blossom for 2 full days. Try it on a sweater or pillow. I'm starting to think it's one of the best ever.

babsyfish
babsyfish

From what I have read below, this fragrance is one that acts differently on everyone, so you may want to try before you buy.

On me, it opens as the brightest, freshest, greenest, wettest LIVING iris I have ever smelled in a perfume. It is like burying my nose fully into a rain-drenched bloom on a crisp spring morning. It is so beautiful and true to actual iris flower that it makes me a little teary.

This opening fades rather--too--quickly, though, and it mellows into a sweeter, almost syrupy heart that faintly reminds me of Fracas. It is still pretty cool and bright. In the drydown, it gets a bit soapy-sweet, with just a sheer dusting of powderiness, and I know this probably sounds odd, but at this point, it really puts me in mind of C. Howard Violet Candies!

I can't say I am totally crazy about the drydown. Like all Hermes fragrances, IU is liquid elegance, and it is a very beautiful, uplifting, and seamlessly composed fragrance. But by the end (which does not take long to reach), it's kind of a static sweet thing on me...kind of meh. It's all about the opening for me, and if I could make that part last, I would be all over a FB!

Hermès Hermessence IRIS UKIYOE is a gorgeous primarily orris composition, to my nose. Iris perfumes vary a lot, and this one seems much more about the roots than the flowers--much closer to Aqua di Parma IRIS NOBILE than to Prada INFUSION D'IRIS.

This perfume is a bit earthy and slightly green without going all the way to HIRIS, with its marked carrot-top note. In a side-by-side comparison with IRIS NOBILE, I find the latter to be much stronger and woodier than IRIS UKIYOE, and also somewhat more masculine, but this creation is an edt not an edp, so that explains at least in part the difference in strength.

IRIS UKIYOE is one of my favorite Hermessence creations, offering a nice orris counterbalance to PAPRIKA BRASIL which, despite its name, includes a significant iris flower facet. I love this composition, but my one concern is longevity. Still, it's going on my wish list all the same!

ducktuck
ducktuck

When I first put it on it smelled like ginger to me (WEIRD), but that faded quickly. It's now a sweet green Iris with a twist of spicy orange. This stays close to the skin and only lasts a couple hours at best on me.

evilspin
evilspin

I asked for samples from Hermes. And the company sent me one of each of their Hermessence. I have to say my favorites were Vetiver Tonka & Poivre Samarconde the most. The others were very nice. THough I dont care for the Vanilla one because its not as exciting and complex as the others. I also got the Brin Reglise but I never liked the smell of licorice but i dont mind it. Ambre Narguile was so masculine yet gormand and sweet enough to appeal to women. As for this Iris...one of the more feminine ones from this unisex collection of Hermessence but let me tell you besides my favorite 2, Iris Ukiyoe gets me ALOT of female attention. Possibly the Iris floral note attracts them. On the skin of men the floral becomes more masculine. I especially get more attention when I wear this with my Dior Homme! (which contains Iris & leather, wax, chocolate and vanilla) all aphrodisiacs! Its no wonder the females keep complementing me. If your a guy and too stuck on machismo and wouldnt try this then your living in a closed mind and ultimately missing out. If your a "i know i am a man and i can rock anything type" then try this. And you will see.

CzKnight963
CzKnight963

smell like car. thank god i only have the sample version, but seriously, i can't trust the unisex fragrance. maybe because i'm still young, so the smell kinda overwhelm me.

natefifield
natefifield

With this scent, JCE again proves that you don't need dozens of notes and synthetics to create a unique and beautiful composition.

It clearly takes it's inspiration from the subtle beauty of the iris. But by adding the rose and orange notes, the underlying simplicity of iris suddenly matures into something more intoxicating and elegant, something that transcends nature to become a poetic meditation on nature.

As others have noted, this perfume is wonderful for what it is not: no wood, musk, or citrus. It can't be described as green, warm, cool, animalic, dry, or aquatic. Yet while lacking so many of these traditional qualities, it is clearly a perfume, and works well as a personal scent for any occasion.

My only complaint is that it does not last as long as others.

Kchild
Kchild

A lovely iris watercolor. It's as if Jean Claude Ellena has used a paintbrush to create this fragile scent. A stunning scene w/an iris flower growing next to a moody waterway.....

I get no orris root from this but rather flower petals. This in itself is unusual I think. I can really detect the orange flower as it starts out. It brings a lovely bit of sharpness to the composition. Very quickly it dries down into a perfect iris flower. It's soft and delicate and still~tenacious! I get hours and hours of exquisite pleasure from just a couple of sprays.

This is a go to scent that speaks of class. It smells expensive~which of course....it is! I truly can't think of one place that this wouldn't be appropriate.

On me this has all of the makings of a classic. Simple and elegant w/out being stuffy. Timeless and yet completely modern. Iris Ukiyoe takes extreme heat and blossoms w/out ever becoming overwhelming. This is not a fragrance that you'll be smelling on everybody. Which of course makes it your very own personal and absolutely brilliant well kept secret.

fiesta
fiesta

I've found a IU sample between other "2537..." samples that my friend lent me to test.
I'm not big fan of Jean Claude Ellena's creations(I'd like to,but they aren't "me",unfortunately)nor big fan of iris too.
I didn't have much expectations,just wanted to test it as new from this line.
Comparison with Japanese haiku inspired me to take a new look to IU.Suddenly I was brought to my early 5,to the corner of our small flowers' garden,where I could always find blooming iris.It was unforgetable to admire the flowers every morning with dew drops on their purple petals and to feel free and happy.
And yes,you don't have to wear complex,refined perfume to make you feel something special.
Thank you Jean Claude Ellena for this marvelous "time machine".

George K.
George K.

The scent of iris flowers lifted by mandarin.Joyous,delicate like shimmering chiffon or champagne with mandarin.Iris violet.

hay81hay
hay81hay

its a floral scent, remind me of Lily (flower beach), its simple and not that transferable,
longevity 4 hour and its still on my skin
its more wearable for women but i don't mind enjoy it.

no doubt about the Quality and of course expensive smell . usual Hermes

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

This is going to sound strange, but I'm getting mandarin peel, tuberose, and greenish rose notes. I get very little iris. On my skin, the orange flower does not seem to be manifesting. I'm really getting a buttery tuberose-type scent. It's also green, in the way that Chanel Cristalle Eau Verte is green.

jae
jae

Oh my goodness... How much better can a take on iris GET??? This is a beautiful, natural iris. It's decidedly not as unisex as the modern perception of unisex is. But this can be worn by the guy who isn't afraid of smelling beautiful. I love how the listed notes are blended. Oh my goodness......

RRCOOLMAMA2
RRCOOLMAMA2

HERMES, I feel like you've just custom made this for me, lol!!! And everyone else who loves these notes, please please, please I hope this is a winner:)

Hermessence Iris Ukiyoé by Hermes 3.93 out of 5 based on 206 ratings and 32 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Hermes Hermessence Iris Ukiyoé fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Hermes Hermessence Iris Ukiyoé, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Hermessence Iris Ukiyoé by Hermes. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Hermessence Iris Ukiyoé by Hermes represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.