Designers » F-H » Floral Fruity « Groups

Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan Hermes for women and men

Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan Hermes for women and men
dislike

ozonic
Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan Hermes for women and men Pictures Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan Hermes for women and men Pictures

Created in 2004 by Jean-Claude Ellena, Hermessence is a collection of unique fragrances conceived as olfactory poems using perfuming’s most exclusive elements. As sober and intense as Japanese haiku, they reinvent a nature that is as precious as it is unusual, as if rendered by the inspired writing of a composer in search of the new.

Enriched each time the perfumer discovers a new country, a language, a culture or simply extraordinary new ingredients, as of today the line consists of eight fragrances, exclusively available in Hermès stores.

Osmanthe Yunnan: conceived after a visit to the Forbidden City of Beijing, this is a silky alchemy of osmanthus petals and Chinese tea whose flowers release facets of freesia and dried apricot.The delicate aromas of tea “lead us by the nose to the Imperial Palace...” Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan was launched in 2005.

Orange Tea

Osmanthus Freesia

Leather Apricot

Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan Fragrance Reviews

nathalie_soleil
nathalie_soleil

Very beautiful fragrance! Love at first sight! Soft and lovely. Osmanthus, peach and tea: what a beautiful mix. Feels like spring but very soft with minimal longevity. Another amazing creation from Jean-Claude Ellena but unfortunately not worth the price to me. Just wished the sillage would not be so soft...

nero77
nero77

A lovely, warm, natural floral...

A really lovely fragrance which captures the nuances of the osmanthus plant, and gives the impression of hot tea. It's a very warm and slightly fruity fragrance, and I think this comes from the apricot mixed with the osmanthus itself (osmanthus flower is purported to smell like apricots and Jean-Claude Ellena often uses similar note pairings to enhance the effect of a single note). He has paired the apricot with the osmanthus in the same way that he paired liquorice with lavender and other similar combinations.

The tea and freesia make the fragrance light and airy, with a tang of orange and hint of leather which blends really well with the skin. Overall I like it, and I do get the impression of China with this. For example drinking tea in a Chinese garden in Yunnan surrounded by osmanthus bushes. Or equally a cup of osmanthus tea. I think that is the impression I get from this.

Definitely a floral fragrance of unmistakable quality, yet as with all Hermèssence creations, this one stays close to the skin. Worth trying for sure!

alchemist1976stephanie
alchemist1976stephanie

Light, airy and feminine. Great casual daytime scent - highly unlikely to offend in close quarters making it very office appropriate. It may even be perceived as just a clean aroma. Nice use of apricot, freesia and herbal tea notes. Makes it feel very fresh. Great for hot summer days when you just want a whisper of scent. Longevity sucks though so I will be layering over my BBW Sheer Freesia scented body lotion. Should be a perfect pairing.

Scent 8/10
Longevity 5/10
sillage 4/10 (not a bad thing in my book though)

kinetisphere
kinetisphere

i could see someone wearing this during spring whilst they are out and about enjoying their day.

it has a carefree light and uplifting aroma.
personally i love orange scents and this one does it quite well. i do get a tea and some freesia.

a very light and beautiful fragrance. though quite feminine. i have to admit i do not have any idea what osmanthe is supposed to smell like. but i do get a clean crisp floral.

not a bad perfume i just wished it lasted longer.

*and i don't have fragrance eating skin so i know this one is a weak performer.

sillage 5/10
longevity 5/10

i would not buy this even if it was $40.

but i do like the way it smells. :/

Annemarie
Annemarie

Exquisite, as so many other people have said. This perfume gives off an air of calm refinement, delicacy and balance. I especially admire the way the tea note is handled in OY because it is refreshing without ever becoming too sharp or sour. Wearing OY, I feel relaxed but alert. (It's ideal for a job interview, actually.)It wears best in warm weather; a bit of exercise makes it bloom beautifully on skin.

Whether Osmanthe Yunnan is worth the hefty price depends on whether you believe that good sillage and longevity are integral to the appeal of a fragrance. I tend to. But whatever I think, Osmanthus Yunnan is outside my price range. Even if I were to save up for a full bottle I could only use it in summer and would still need a decant to carry around for reapplication. Osmanthe Yunan is not a practical or versatile fragrance, but it is still an extraordinarily beautiful one.

happyscent
happyscent

Osmanthe Yunnan – indeed this is the improved version of TDC Osmanthus and much better! If you found TDC osmanthus interesting and wonderful but find it to girly, osmanthe Yunnan is for you (now, I only need the money for this, haha)

ClutchC
ClutchC

This is beautiful for a few minutes. Then...gone! Pretty pricey for what is essentially a skin scent before you get out of the house.

aokiwen
aokiwen

LOOOOOOVE this one, ive tried lots of osmanthe perfumes, but none of them can actually have real osmanthe smell, not even this one...
but what beautiful of this one is the fragrance is floating in the air gives me a very fairy feeling and that's what i feel when i standing in the osmanthe woods, not too much not too less
i wont pick this one as an everyday perfume, but it does fit some special days.

jhitt793
jhitt793

Elegant, refined and exotic come to mind upon sampling this stunning fragrance from Jean-Claude Ellena. Osmanthus blossom takes center stage with its "jasmine-esque" scent which is punctuated with a luscious stone fruit accord (apricot, peach and nectarine). Again here as in his other Hermessence offerings, Ellena does such a masterful job at blending that it is difficult to pick out separate notes from within the overall fragrance. In my opinion, Osmanthe Yunnan is much more floral and much less tea-laden. Would likely be a show stopper in summer, holding up well against hot/humid climates (perhaps even amplifying its radiance). My only drawback with the fragrance is that it seems rather light on sillage and projection. Perhaps Ellena intended it to invoke an aura of inward reflection/meditation upon its wearers; a moment to detox the mind and rejuvenate the senses. (98)

chirobi
chirobi

Osmanthus bushes are planted all over the city of Hangzhou. I love taking a walk at night when they're in bloom. The osmanthus flowers delicately scent the evening air to the tune of chirping cicadas. The scent drifts in and out of my consciousness between the spoken and quiet moments of our walk. Unlike the lily or gardenia, osmanthus flowers have such a light scent that you have to focus to really notice its beauty.

Such is the quality of the osmanthus note in Osmanthe Yunnan. You're only aware of its presence during quiet contemplative moments to yourself. Needless to say, this is one of those "just for me" perfumes, as there is neither projection nor sillage. Although, if money was no object, that could be remedied by dousing yourself with it. A perfect fragrance for a languid summer evening. The summer sun is just too bright and loud for this delicate little scent.

Aaron H
Aaron H

Chinese tea houses - the old ones - have a particular scent to them. I think it has to do with the old wood tabletops, chairs and floors that have had tea spilled on them through many years. It also has to do with the people and the variety of fabrics not to mention the variety of tea on display in wooded cubbies. This fragrance doesn't duplicate that smell but it almost suggests it. Which makes my brain fill in the blanks and almost makes it more real than real.

I went into a Hermes shop to buy another bottle of Eau D`Orange Verte which I ran out of and ended up walking out with this one too. This was literally love at first sniff as well as being teleported 1200 miles in a milisecond into the past.

It is dried white tea fresh and the apricot is beautiful. Nothing artificially sweet about it. It's moist and has a bit of citrus. When you sniff it for the first time you can feel the fuzz on the peach skin just before you take a bite but it's sooo much more. It has this strange acidic milky quality wafting in the background - familiar to anyone who has smelled the evaporating liquid while homemade mozzarella cheese is being made. But, in a super fresh, subtle and silky sort of way.

This is a fragrance I wear to transport myself - even for a split second - to a foreign place and time. This is a fragrance that smells so unlike anything else yet conjurers up memories of specific & familiar scents. This is more magic than wearable fragrance to me, although it is absolutely wearable.

evesoho
evesoho

Osmanthe Yunnan smells like I have sat down in a fresh field to eat apricots, with a thermos of green tea to which I generously add wildlower honey. There is also a note of smooth, warm skin (the leather impression?), which makes it unisex. I'm wearing this on my arm although my dress is scented with the unisex animalic musc ravageur, and they are playing nicely. I see how Ellena is at the top of his nosy game, because this scent is so finely wrought that it doesn't entirely succumb to the scented-candle aspect it also has. (This aspect is also what prevents me from loving this fragrance). For a floral fruity, Osmanthe Yunnan has a delicate quality like other reviewers have said, and although fresh I find it borders on the melancholy side of fragile, but I don't know why except to say it reminds me of fleeting beauty. That isn't a comment on longevity, only the mood. I wear this and feel the same as when a beautiful rare bird I'm watching finally flies.

Plumiegirl
Plumiegirl

its a wonderful scent, I do not smell the leather note. My only complaint is barely last an hour and its gone.

antfarm
antfarm

A very pleasant scent with a fluffy texture. It feels to my nose like the stuffing inside of a little girl's teddy bear. It's very soft, mild, and floral.

When it's wet on my skin I detect the tea note, but after that I only really get the freesia and osmanthus.

It doesn't last long (only lasts on me for an hour), which is a shame.

batkitty
batkitty

I wore this again yesterday after almost a year away from it. I remembered enjoying it and also being frustrated at not smelling the tea note I had hoped for. But yesterday, hurray, there it was!! This is truly a delicate scent, and after a winter of ambers and incenses I have to adjust my nose a bit for it... but once I did I realized I had the most gorgeous veil of osmanthus, citrus, and tea whispering at me for almost 7 hours. I love it much more than I did last year, and if it weren't for the high price I would be running out to buy a bottle (I still might have to someday).

Exquisite, gossamer, peach-colored silk of a fragrance. Wonderful.

Hatleberger
Hatleberger

Yeah. Another bag of money well spent. Sigh. It is a lovely and very delicate scent. Which made me do the purchase. very subtle as all of JC Ellena's works i own. in fact, so subtle that after two hours I cannot smell it on me. Not a trace of it. So yes, again, great bottle, lovely scent, too expensive for the lasting power of a couple of hours.

sirpedrig
sirpedrig

More detail to come later, but I recently had the pleasure of smelling this spectacular creation. Osmanthe Yunnan is one of the most gently beautiful scents I have ever smelled.

CottonBall
CottonBall

This fragrance captures the feelings of a flower seconds before it's cut. It's harrowing and unspeakably beautiful. And absolutely incompatible with my skin. On me, it turns into ugly past due soap. My skin is dry, I tried to apply it over moisturizer, before moisturizer, with moisturizer - to no avail. The moment I reconcile and wash it off my wrist, it blooms. How sarcastic is that? Perhaps, it was designed for more humid climate. This is heartbreaking. I'm here waiting to take it back if it changes its mind.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

This perfume is truly beautiful. More of a true flower scent than a perfume though. And on me it has almost no projection, but lasts a few hours and remains close to the skin for personal enjoyment.. and it is a very good scent to give your nose a rest between Poison and Coco.

It is also made of such good quality ingredients. For example, osmanthus and citrus are paired together in Gucci Flora as well, where it is a headache inducing chemical mess in my opinion (sorry) but here it is a magical combination. This is so nice and.... Zen. Very green smelling, but in a soft, floral way. Not sparkly or grassy or astringent. Just natural. I don't get that much orange from it, which makes me happy because I have enough perfumes with an orange note in them.

Very watery as well, but not as in watered down. Dewy is what I mean, with some presence and very elegant for such a natural smelling perfume. Discreet scent with grace, for a woman that wears minimal makeup and does not overstyle her clothes or hair.

A perfume fit for a nymph....

Furriner
Furriner

We've been having extremely hot weather lately... temperatures over 100 degrees Fahrenheit, I wore Osmanthe Yunnan last week in such weather. I leave for work at 5 am and get home around 8:30 pm. When I was coming home, I got in an elevator and was noticing the most beautiful smell. I didn't think anything about it until I got on a subway train and could still smell it.

Anyway, contrary to what I had thought, the fragrance lasted longer than 12 hours... and in the heat it just radiated. If you think it is too light and doesn't last, give it another go in warmer weather. My opinion completely changed from "nice" to "gorgeous"! It also works well on a man like me!

thatsmr2usir
thatsmr2usir

Osmanthe Yunnan is a nice subtle scent that will not offend anyone. It starts with a nice fruit smell of sorts, apricots & oranges pave the way with a lingering note of tea. Leather??? HA! This is a very nice aroma that conjures up memories of sitting in my great granny's backyard looking at the garden where she grew fruits & things as such.

The problem that I have with this fragrance is that it does not project much at all, nor is the lasting power good. It is almost average... I can say that this is one of the fragrances I do not care for from this line, while being nice & inoffensive, it lacks the POWER I would like & appreciate with a fragrance. Natural smell, great ingredients all creates a piss poor longevity concoction. Not full bottle worthy, I'll pass.

merlinarbor
merlinarbor

I love this scent because it is exactly its name: true osmanthus flower (imagine fully ripe apricots soaked in booze for 3 months, minus the alcohol smell) plus a not-too-dark black tea note. Doesn't smell like anything else I've tried. Unique, without being weird. As I've found with other Jean-Claude Ellena creations, it's so balanced and blended that my nose gets intrigued--I keep trying to sniff deeper into the fragrance to find the bottom! For the better part of the year, this "bottomlessness" made the scent seem to be missing something...a strength or gusto I kept wishing were there but couldn't find. Then I finally wore it on a very warm summer day. Oh, it just bloomed and bloomed so beautifully! It's NOT a fall scent as I had always thought it was. Osmanthe Yunnan really needs well-warmed skin to bloom properly. I will never waste it on a cool day again!

lacrima99
lacrima99

Such an odd fragrance: I can hardly smell it 10 minutes after dousing myself liberally, but here I am, 3 hours later, catching frequent intense bursts of osmanthus and tea, much like the scent of a flower wafting in through a window. Gentle, subtle and just lovely.

Matt Oldham
Matt Oldham

This is one of my all time favorites. Somebody started a post about scents for the Year of the Dragon and the dragon is in fact my year and I bought this a few days ago for a Dragon Feeling. And I got it. I'm getting into the moment and I'm working with it. What a beautiful smell.

Missblume
Missblume

I have this one since last year. I was enjoying the fragrance... but just this last November, after being at Mariage Fréres - Maison de Thé in Paris, I understood the complexity of this smell...it's totally inspired by that place. I bought a few teas there and my luggage was smelling like Osmanthe Yunnan when I arrived home in São Paulo (green tea, red tea, white tea, citrus essential oils, creamy, fresh, flowers...).
After that I read in Chandler Burr's book that Ellena likes to visit this store.
I love the Hermessence line. I believe that everyone can find at least one favorite in this line...

Another fine tea scent in the Hermessence line, OSMANTHE YUNNAN is practically a yunnan tea facsimile. Unlike POIVRE SAMARCANDE, which gives off wafts of the effect of an Assam black tea (though the composition contains no tea, and I may in fact be in the minority in interpreting it in that way...), OSMANTHE YUNNAN explicitly claims to feature and does in fact, as advertised, convey the literal scent of yunnan tea.

To wear yunnan tea as a fragrance or not to wear yunnan tea as a fragrance? That is the question. Yunnan is not my favorite tea. I prefer darjeeling or assam or sencha or... Although I do appreciate yunnan more than either jasmine tea or oolong (both of which induce a gag reflex in me), I'm not sure that I am all that interested in smelling like yunnan. It's a slightly smokey smell, but, in the end, it's yunnan tea.

Wearing this fragrance makes me feel as though I just took a soak in a bathtub filled with yunnan tea. True, osmanthus is also a featured component of this composition, but to my nose osmanthus is the tofu of perfumery, absorbing any stronger neighbor notes and usually ending up totally masked by them, which is the case here. Although OSMANTHE YUNNAN is certainly wearable, I find it considerably less compelling than most of the other Hermessence perfumes...

ducktuck
ducktuck

I'm editing my original review of this "This is my least favorite of the Hermessence line." Not so anymore!! I gave this another try and whereas before it seemed sharp and citrus, now I am smelling the creamy tea, and leather and I think it's fabulous. This would be sooooo nice on a man.
As I stated before it's very close to the skin, and still doesn't last more than a couple hours on me.

Ripba
Ripba

Osmanthe Yunnan is one of my favorite scents ever. The tea-apricot-cream blend is beautiful. It's not strong, doesn't have much sillage after the first half-hour, and the earthy-leather note is blended in very well, so you can hardly detect it. It does last some hours, only it's very close to the skin, which is the way fragrances are meant to be worn.

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

I absolutely love tea in fragrances because it lends both depth and softness, perhaps it's the clean earthiness I'm drawn to.

Yunnan certainly adds this, while osmanthus is gentle and velvety. Freesia adds a very coy and playful dimension without being frivolous.

However, you need to apply quite a bit to really get the tea vibe. Then pretty quickly, it dissipates into a warm, soapy, light freesia perfume =(

If you like the opening and heart vibe of this perfume I recommend trying Guerlain's Tokyo which is part of their Les Voyages Olfactis range--better sillage and very beautiful and delicately Asian without being 'Oriental' as far as perfume classification goes. Unfortunately, it too is rather expensive but IMO you definitely get a better experience for the money. Also try Bvlgari au The Rouge for the ultimate yunnan experience (without any flowers) and way better psssshhht for the buck!

I tried four fragrances from the Hermessence range and the feeling I had after smelling them itìs that they would probably be more appropriated for the Hermes department store line (i.e. the Jardins serie, the Eaux serie and the Hermessence serie). Depending on your taste, they all smell good but in my opinion they don't fit the idea I have about an "exclusive and axpensive line to be sold only in selected boutiques". They're light, understated, sometimes even inconsistent, basically there's an huge difference between Hermessence and Chanel's Les Exclusives.

Said that Osmanthe Yunnan comfortably moves in this territory, made of hints, barely perceptible notes and short lasting power. An evanescent and efemeral milky tea composition with a fruity-apricot hint. It disappears form your body in two hours. Nice and refined but way too understated and absolutely overpriced.

George K.
George K.

Yunnan :A province in Southwest China,the ''Kingdom of plants''.A region where Yunnan Imperial tea is produced.Osmanthus is a bush bearing small flowers with an unforgettable scent (apricot scent).Tea,flowers and fruits...seductive!

Dongning
Dongning

Hi, I am from Yunnan.
And I just found this perfume today.
I can't wait to have a test.

Romnel
Romnel

Es exquisito pero tiene baja intensidad =(

Redlipstick
Redlipstick

Oh, mmmmmmm......

Such a sophisticated skin scent (no sillage). It opens with some very sharp citrus (smells like bergamot on my skin). It softens considerably although the fruitiness remains, with the apricot mixing with osmanthus. The osmanthus is quite subtle in this one.

I'm shocked that the leather note is so beautiful. It's very, very subtle but definitely adds some warmth and a bit of zing. It completely eliminates the sweetness from the fruit notes, making this a warm yet 'sparkling' scent.

Overall, it's gorgeous! However this is quite subtle and 'sheer'. Is it worth the price? If you love fruity floral skin scents, and if you like exclusive scents, then yes - but beware that the lasting power isn't great, and as noted by Mals86 you need to use a fair amount to really smell it.

holly_golightly
holly_golightly

I ordered four samples of Hermes perfumes about a week ago: Osmanthe Yunnan, Brin de Reglisse, Un Jardin Sur le Nil, and Kelly Caleche. I received them in the mail today, and I must say Osmanthe Yunnan was my favorite. It is absolutely beautiful. It smells like dried black tea leaves, apricot, and flowers. I would buy a full bottle of this right away if it weren't for the jaw-dropping price. But I would definitely recommend this to anyone. :)

alexie_kwan
alexie_kwan

I sampled two bottle of it from the Hermes stores, the saleslady is very nice~

I absolutely love this perfume! The sweetness of it is very special, guess that's the apricot? it's not sweet in the sense of sugar-coated fruity banality!

However, the price is a tad bit too expensive for me to spray guilt-free lol

Mals86
Mals86

This is gorgeous. Light citrus, black tea, and osmanthus - which smells quite a bit like dried apricots. I'm trailing faint whispers of apricot-tea everywhere I go. Ethereal.

However, Hermessences are way way too expensive for me to be able to buy a big bottle and spritz with abandon, the way one needs to spritz in order to trail even faint whispers. (I used nearly all of a 1 ml dabber vial, and I NEVER do that.) So, as lovely as this is, I won't be purchasing.

Leesee
Leesee

Although the opening of Osmanthe Yunnan is a bit sharp -- a sort of apricot scalpel -- the scent soon morphs into warmer, more comforting territory, with an overall effect of water dappled with sunlight. Wear this fragrance when you want something to hug close to your skin and shield you from the cruel, cruel world.

Smells like Tangerine tea with apricot jam. Delicious and light.

Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan by Hermes 4.27 out of 5 based on 310 ratings and 39 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Hermes Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Hermes Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan by Hermes. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan by Hermes represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.