Designers » F-H » Woody Spicy « Groups

Hermessence Poivre Samarcande Hermes for women and men

Hermessence Poivre Samarcande Hermes for women and men
dislike

Hermessence Poivre Samarcande Hermes for women and men Pictures Hermessence Poivre Samarcande Hermes for women and men Pictures

Created in 2004 by Jean-Claude Ellena, Hermessence is a collection of unique fragrances conceived as olfactory poems using perfuming’s most exclusive elements. As sober and intense as Japanese haiku, they reinvent a nature that is as precious as it is unusual, as if rendered by the inspired writing of a composer in search of the new.

Enriched each time the perfumer discovers a new country, a language, a culture or simply extraordinary new ingredients, as of today the line consists of eight fragrances, exclusively available in Hermès stores.

Poivre Samarcande: burning spice tempered by sweet wood that evokes the peppery, musky smell of oak, a vibrant homage that takes one away to Samarkand, “the must-see stopover between the Western and Eastern worlds, where caravans loaded with spices…”

Patchouli Caraway Green Notes oak moss Paprika Virginia Cedar Pepper Oak

Hermessence Poivre Samarcande Fragrance Reviews

christianne1
christianne1

Truly a stunning creation. I'm wondering how many people were not patient enough for the dry down on this one because the dry down is phenomenal. I rarely care for that much pepper in the opening but the pepper settles way down and you are eventually left with this light as air veil of heaven that I can't even describe. It doesn't smell like anything I have ever smelled. It doesn't even smell all that oaky or smokey or anything like I expected once it settles. It just smells beautiful. It smells elegant and earthy all at the same time. Seriously, Poivre Samarcande is phenomenal and I have not been able to stop sniffing myself ALL day. And it lasted ALL day on me from about 10am until about 7pm. I put on a tiny refresher dab at 7 it is now going on midnight and I still have my hand to my nose like a crackhead. I am not even a big Hermes fan normally but this stuff is fantastic.

balkantraveler
balkantraveler

It does very well what it claims to do-- creates a scent of woody cumin, like you are walking in to an Indian spice store.

But just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. I cook with a lot of cumin, and this makes me smell like my kitchen and me after I've been cooking a big meal of cumin and curry spiced food. So while it does a good job making me smell like that with no cooking required, that's not the smell I want.

nero77
nero77

The peppery disappearing act...

I have tried quite a few out of the Hermèssence line, and I have a huge respect for Jean-Claude Ellena. His compositions for Hermèssence aren't always liked by everyone.

That being said, I'll give my impressions of Poivre Samarcande. In a nutshell... what this fragrance is all about, is Iso-E-Super. This goes a long way towards explaining why people love this scent. If you look at the top five fragrances with Iso-E-Super, they are:

1. Molecule 01 (Escentric Molecules, 2005) 100%
2. Perles de Lalique (Lalique, 2007) 80%
3. Poivre Samarcande (Hermès, 2004) 71%
4. Escentric 01 (Escentric Molecules, 2005) 65%
5. Terre d'Hermes (Hermès, 2006) 55%

So I think with people saying they get a great amount of compliments with this scent is due largely to the high presence of Iso-E-Super in the composition.

What I will say is that it is a very nice scent, the pepper mixed with the hints of oak and paprika etc. does give it a very nice, refined vibe. What really makes this special is the combination of the above with Iso-E-Super, which gives a linear, woody almost "flinty" vibe which stays throughout and stops this from being just about the pepper.

Overall, I don't think this is bad in any way in terms of smell, but the problem is, as with Molecule 01... if you spray this on, you won't detect it on yourself, so you'll have to "assume" that it's there and it's doing it's job.

Personally, whilst I do appreciate it as the art for what it is... I think you could just buy Molecule 01, or even Ellena's own Terre d'Hermès or Déclaration, which will do a similar job to this but for less in my opinion.

SimplyOliver
SimplyOliver

I tried Poivre Samarcande several times at the official Hermes boutique in my city, and as a fan of Molecule 01 and some Ellena's creations such as Terre d'Hermès or Cartier Déclaration, I naturally came to quickly like this opus of Hermessence.

The scent itself is near perfection to me. Even if the Iso E Super is pretty obvious, it does not 'monopolize' the composition. Now... the oakwood note. To me, it gets the main role of the symphony. And it plays it wonderfully well: dry and luminous, noble, uplifting, realistic. Spices are surrounding it with elegance, salty and slightly pungent, yet without stealing the show. Then the oakmoss kicks in and gives a soothing feeling to the scent, keeping it from being too dry and straightforward.

An absolute heaven. Flat and calm, quite dry, warm and mysterious... An admirable piece of work.

When it comes to longevity, it is quite good (just like an iso scent should be). Low sillage combined with anosmia might give the feeling that it's gone when it is actually just hidden. People around can still smell it on me 6 hours into application.

Btw, I just snapped, and went for a full 100ml bottle, which looks great and feel heavy, with a genuine leather/metal cap. Package also includes a beautiful Hermès canvas pouch, with some 4ml samples. The box itself is presented as a box of chocolates, and the bottle is beautifully wrapped in Hermès paper.

I absolutely love it! A beautiful and versatile skin scent, and my new signature fragrance.

alchemist1976stephanie
alchemist1976stephanie

Thank goodness this is fairly weak, because it smells like stale perfume mixed with body odor. The spices create an undertone of skank which overtakes any potential beauty this scent may possess. No thanks.

peppermoon
peppermoon

Opens like a woody spice chest, with a blast of pepper and paprika (not sure what caraway smells like). There’s a little dry smokiness to it. The spices let up a little to let in a light green scent, which reminds me of the very green patchouli note of L'Artisan's Timbuktu. The paprika or caraway makes it smell faintly sweaty, like cumin does, but it isn’t overwhelming. Overall, more masculine than I prefer, and in my opinion it needs a contrasting note to be more balanced. The sillage/longevity of the Hermessences continues to be far too light for the price.

kl99
kl99

Almost Undetectable

Very far reminiscences of Missoni Uomo (the first seconds) or Moods Uomo by Krizia. Surely fresher of those mentioned, pungent balsamic also, bit watermelony Like Noi Missoni. 80s style fragrance. Or classic if you like most. Could be a very nice and interesting concert of simple conflicting notes but it is almost undetectable. that's a pity.

Miss LaCreevy
Miss LaCreevy

Caraway and some pepper---delicious in my soup, but not on my skin.

Carestinus
Carestinus

Up to now I've only tried 3 Hermessences (this, vetiver tonka and santal massoia) and although I won't go further here about the other 2, I need to start this review by saying the 3 share a common feature: foody.

In the case of Poivre samarcande I was immediately taken back to my granny's house where she used to cook this delicious peppery oat soup with garlic and bayleaf. I can't think of anything else when I just apply the scent and although I found it very compelling I also wondered about this really being how I want to smell.

Fortunately this scent goes on, takes a greener path and eventually softens (perhaps too much... don't come here looking for sillage or a statement scent... you'll be disappointed I think). It is unisex but I find it especially suitable for men. It is great in summer, where it stands out and its longevity seems to work better. Still it lasts as long as a haiku.

It is not a scent I'd particularly recommend given its sky-high price and subtle charms but if you can find it as cheap as I did, give it a try... it smells elegant yet versatile and wearable at any age.

On a last thought, I don't agree with those who would go for a 15ml bottle of this since I have started getting more and more into it mainly because I can reapply several times a day and the small bottle would simply frustrate me. No doubt that would work for the heavier Hermessences like Ambre narguile or Vetiver tonka.

sidewalks
sidewalks

This scent is pretty much perfect except that for my own taste, I'd dial down the pepper just a little bit. I know that pepper is the star of this fragrance, but I think the pepper is too loud and overpowers the rest of the scent.

jhitt793
jhitt793

Upon first glance, Poivre Samarcande begins with a jolting blast of biting pepper and musky cumin/caraway. Initially somewhat unsettling, this pungency fortunately dissipates rather quickly leaving behind an interesting smokey wood accord. Oak wood naturally has a somewhat dry/arid quality which seems intuitively matched with the aforementioned spices. Oak moss offers a deep and grounded smokey essence which lends a certain element of mystique. Where this fragrance fails for me is in its lack of contrast, causing it to seem vapid and lifeless. What may be missing is a convivial citrus and/or floral note to juxtapose the overall somber tone. Without it, this Hermessence offering simply falls flat for me. (100)

Cheeva
Cheeva

Pepper, Spices, Ceadar, Oak, Oak Moss, Paprica, Cumino.,Green notes,Whats not to like Here? Imo, this is Jean Claudes perennnial masterpiece., From the Hermessence line anyway. No Rough Edges at all, well balanced,well blended notes, start to finish,. Although some say it has longevity issues/or sillage, luckily for me, it lasts.
Unbelievably Sophisticated, non pretentious, Compostition.
Simply Fantastic.

dezbil
dezbil

Bang by Marc Jacob (+) or mix with molecule 01=poivre samarcande

Zito87
Zito87

I really can't say what people see in this fragrance, it's just too pepper even if you're a mexican...I hate it!

Redpula
Redpula

Mild paprika, pepper, caraway and cedar with an average oakmoss right at the start. Soft spicy and i cant detect patchouli.Too bad it lacks character but Samarcande's consolation is that it is like a toned down Declaration by Cartier & a Cartier d'Un Soir without the rosé.

An airy mild aromatic spice and woods added with green to bring balance, quiet balance pleasant for an office wearing. There isn't much development nor life as it seems linear to my nose. Its an okay light perfume, good for close combat though I doubt this would earn many love and compliments even on intimate moments. Its just fair to wear and easy to fade. I'd rather wear two sprays of Declaration or three of D'Un Soir.

If you have these two, then just explore other cheaper yet unique perfumes around.

Update: 3 hours later, very close to skin with a very light L'Artisan Timbuktu vibe. Still, my rating remains.

BillyC28
BillyC28

Have a travel Poivre Samarcande selling discounted.

Msg me for pricing and info

ladykarl
ladykarl

Agreed Bbjr
The drydown is quite nice...
The cedar really stands out
and the overall affect is much softer
The starting smell reminds me of the inside/
bottom of a really expensive new leather purse
The peppers are dry and dusty and pretty overpowering
I have mixed feelings about this
It smells expensive and mature

Bbjr
Bbjr

This is a great fragrance, even with the heavy pepper. Dry down is really nice, just doesn't last very long.
Ok, try this for longevity and an unbelievable scent. Mix with Tom Ford Noir. Wow!

emily7
emily7

It's really nice, especially the initial blast of cumin, one of my favourite notes.
Unfortunately, the whole thing lasts too short, has minimum sillage and - as already mentioned here - lacks density and character.
Otherwise, smells distinctly masculine - the notes are very well blended into a composition that to my nose evokes primal elements and rudiments of nature (in a same manner as Terre d'Hermes or Dior Fahrenheit).
Nice, but far from impressive (except for its price).

cedriceccentric
cedriceccentric

If you love Terre d'Hermès but are tired of smelling it on everybody, and have the cash, switch to Poivre Samarcande. It's woodier and somewhat more dry, but it has the same mineral musk and powdery iris quality.
I think it's also a good choice for people who like Jean Claude Ellena's other bestsellers Déclaration de Cartier and Bulgari pour Homme.

magicnose
magicnose

The only way I could afford this was as a set of travel bottles. This peppery wood fragrance oozes wealth and sophistication - it's almost an executive suite in a bottle! To my mind this is one of JCE's two masterpieces for men - the other being the sublime Terre. I can't help feeling that JCE has an ultimate pure woods fragrance in him that he hasn't unleased on the world yet- something so perfect that woods lovers everyone will break down in tears when they smell it. I know it's coming. Come on JCE - give us wood lovers a new masterpiece!

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

I only smelled this on paper, but I have to say, this is everything I wish a man's winter fragrance was. And the quality!! amazing.

A woman could pull this off very well in the right mind set, but I think it might work a little better on a man's skin.

MaggieKat
MaggieKat

Love it. When I first sprayed it on I thought it might be too spicy, but then it sort of calmed down and something warm and sweet took over. Very comforting and beautiful. Weird thing about it, the longer I have it the stronger it seems to be getting instead of weakening as it sinks into the the middle and basenotes. Another masterpiece by JCE.

dlane1953
dlane1953

I had to try this since I love wood and spice. It's very well made; soft, warm, and sensuous, subtle and unique. I think it's refreshing to have a fragrance without a hint of flowers in the composition. This wears very close to the skin on me. I would buy a bottle but it's so pricey that I'll have to stick with samples. Nonetheless it's a wonderful addition to my fragrance collection. I could wear this day or night and feel special yet appropriate for all occaisions. (I'm female but this would be great on a male too, of course)

Later that day...WOW. I'm immoderately enamored of this scent. The addition of the paprika was inspired--a bit of heat is a great touch. The peppercorns here do not add much heat to this scent, just depth and character. LOVE IT, WANT MORE!
(Must feed the fragrance addiction)

stella-00
stella-00

I have never seen anyone being indifferent to this perfume... It is one of 'power' business perfumes (Prada Infusion D'Iris is the other one) i have in my collection. It imposes authority and oozes power and superiority, pure elegance, wealth, magnetism, confidence and it is ....well, it is 'liquid' boss in a bottle, if i can say so ha ha....
Strong in making a statement,indeed,- but very weak in longevity and silage. Only first 30 min-under 1 h it is present and u feel it around. But good thing, - easily to be re-sprayed without harming sensitive specimens around...

If it had the monster sillage, - I would have bought it in liters for the years to come....But for the moment just having a standard bottle and a little 15 mil travel size ( for top-up :-) on occasions).

It is presented as a UNISEX perfume.... I would say it would be more of a masculine type of aroma, unless u are a woman in charge...:-))

Superb, really- really top marks for this one!

Rankn504
Rankn504

Stuff smells amazing when u put it on and when it dries down even better but than its gone. I dnt know wat the fuck they were thinkn about charging $220 for this stuff when it doesnt even last so yeah no worth buying.

nonnative
nonnative

Great cuir notes well blended with spice, wood and smoke notes. Waw. Thanks Ellena!

Mokokos
Mokokos

An understated fragrance of pepper and a spicy wood. You love it when you first apply it. Then an hour later you wonder if it is there. Trust me it is there. I put it on after the morning shower, went to work. I thought it was gone by 11am. I went outside to my car for lunch, and suddenly I smelled the fragrance envelope me again. At the restaurant the server said, "you smell very nice, it smells expensive, what is it?" I go home at the end of the day and my wife says, wow! do you smell good, what is that? Gee, do I need to say anything more?

Hermessence POIVRE SAMARCANDE offers to my nose in undulating waves a very fine Assam tea scent which morphs into a light incense scent ever so often, along with short excursions through a dark forest in between. The pepper is low-key and serves more to darken the composition than to spice it up. I find the overall effect unexpectedly complex, and very beautiful, albeit subtly so.

Although some have complained about poor longevity, POIVRE SAMARCANDE apparently likes me, for it clings well to my skin, and I am able to smell it for several hours. It is very low sillage, though, and definitely not a big statement maker. I do think that, all things considered, the overall effect of POIVRE SAMARCANDE is more that of a black tea than a woody fragrance.

jasonchickerson
jasonchickerson

Almost the entire Hermessence line wears like underwear. Only a select few people will ever know if you are wearing any, and those that do won't see you in them for long. Poivre Samarcande is no exception.

On my skin, Poivre is a really dark and interesting blend of black pepper, baies roses and charred wood. On first spray it is easy to imagine you are a black garbed Parisian dodging traffic. It is perhaps the most elegant winter fragrance around.

Too bad then that sillage is nonexistant and staying power is less than an hour— it wears close to the skin like tasteful black lingerie, for better or worse, and like that pretty black teddy crumpled at the foot or your bed, it is ridiculously overpriced.

Dogma
Dogma

Poivre Samarcande is a bit like watered-down Terre Hermes.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice scent... but about 100 euros overpriced. Me thinks Hermes wanted to make an exclusive line for its uber-wealthy clients when it created the Hermessence Collection.

ducktuck
ducktuck

Skin! If skin had a perfumed scent this is what I imagine it would smell like. Smooth, soft, warm comfort. For me I smell the caraway the most, with subtle woods.
Great for men and women. Skin scent, with great lasting power.

williamvargas
williamvargas

one of my favorites...just sort of sneaks up on you, a very discrete surprisingly more masculine scent to me.too bad it is so pricy..when you are spending this type of coin for a fragrance there are a lot to choose from, but for me this is very special. i really do love the way this smells just off a spray, you may shy away just due to price always a compliment getter for me. peppery and pleasing. very classy. and to me quite masculine in aroma. strong silent type mans scent. you will be noticed for being a step above the pack..excellent,, potent..
people will want to get close for a second sniff.. just love this one..

evilspin
evilspin

The best one (next to Vetiver Tonka) from the Hermessence collection. Cant get everyone to stop asking what im wearing or that I smell sexy! :) worth the price!

Grottola
Grottola

Yay, pepper! AH... AH... ACHOO!

Sorry, damn pepper makin' me sneeze. If you like DRY, black pepper that you sprinkle on your eggs and steak, then here's your true calling. Pepper heaven.

meg1969
meg1969

Got a sample from the extremely generous greenfaerie in a swap of Mandragore for Fracas (just love Fracas)

Anyway, I dabbed a little on.....waited...and it Really bloomed into something unexpectedly wonderful in the warm weather. Pepper, spices, yes...but I got the creamiest incense out of it as well (refined, non-churchy incense) and the scent wafts closely to the skin but is very warming and sensual. I LOVE it. This one is more refined that the heavier frags I usually go for.

Thanks Greenfaerie!

Poivre Samarcande's opening with pungent spicy pepper and woods brings to my mind of countless perfumes I smelled in the past 10 years. It's pleasant but lacks in personality. Same story for the drydown that is surely refined but still not so interesting for me. HPS is a nice scent, no more, no less. It could be enough if just half priced and composed by some anonimous perfumeur, but it costs 200 bucks and it's by JC Ellena. Unacceptable.

A good option could be to include it the travel set available at a cheaper price with 4x15ml vials at your choice form the hermessence range.

Rating: 6.5/10

Ambrosia8
Ambrosia8

i hear a lot about this being a more masculine scent, but it makes me feel very feminine (not to say it wouldn't smell great on a man though...)! I love to dab just a tiny bit on my wrist in the summer when it's really hot, it smells amazing then!! During winter, i wear it layered with havana vanille. It might sound weird, but you have it, try it, it's amazing (well, i like it anyway...)If you do, let me know what you think about it!!

George K.
George K.

Burning pepper softened by mellow wood.Green,fiery pepper,hint of chili,enveloping woods(oak and cedar).The best seller from Hermessence Collection since 2004.

Affinity4FineFragrances
Affinity4FineFragrances

One of my favorite evening scents to wear. I've found myself layering a lot of JCE's fragrances and the outcomes are very pleasant. I can definitely smell the peppered notes in addition to a leathery-"something." Great sillage.

iMaverick
iMaverick

Ingenious interpretation of understatement. The scent is rather linear, but its subtle trail lasts a long time. Be careful, however. Its strength cannot be increased by spraying more of this scent. I think there are "olfactory blockers" in the scent, so if you spray more, you won't smell the scent at all! Less is more in this case.

All I get is a sort of peppery wood scent. It's okay, but there's not a lot of layering on me and the complexity is lost. For a brief moment, my interest was peaked by something approaching chili or cumin, but it faded down under the peppery wood. Not bad, but not something I would wear.

Charles
Charles

Drydown is very similar to L´Artisan Timbuktu.

veruska
veruska

The Sensuous pepper of Poivre Samarcande it gets entirely lost on me, from the smidge of caraway and the green peppercorn faint scent, a smooth and earthy affair, that had to be more dense for beeing really enjoyable. Another Jean-Claude Ellena dissapearing act!

Suseken
Suseken

This is a great composition.Spicy and woody.I love it very much.

Hermessence Poivre Samarcande by Hermes 4.11 out of 5 based on 219 ratings and 45 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Hermes Hermessence Poivre Samarcande fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Hermes Hermessence Poivre Samarcande, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Hermessence Poivre Samarcande by Hermes. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Hermessence Poivre Samarcande by Hermes represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.