Designers » F-H » Woody Spicy « Groups

Hermessence Rose Ikebana Hermes for women and men
dislike

sour
Hermessence Rose Ikebana Hermes for women and men Pictures

Created in 2004 by Jean-Claude Ellena, Hermessence is a collection of unique fragrances conceived as olfactory poems using perfuming’s most exclusive elements. As sober and intense as Japanese haiku, they reinvent a nature that is as precious as it is unusual, as if rendered by the inspired writing of a composer in search of the new.

Enriched each time the perfumer discovers a new country, a language, a culture or simply extraordinary new ingredients, as of today the line consists of eight fragrances, exclusively available in Hermès stores.

Rose Ikebana: a contrast between rose petal and crisp rhubarb, this minimalist bouquet of extreme delicacy was inspired by the floral art of Japanese Ikebana. Jean Claude Ellena speaks about “a rose plucked in the early morning, humid and dewy, light and delicate...”

Orange Spices Fruity Notes Musk Cassia Tea Rose Lemon Rhubarb

Kelly Caleche L`Eau de Parfum
La Collection In Love Again
Rose Splendide
Un Zeste de Rose

Hermessence Rose Ikebana Fragrance Reviews

Rose Ikebana is a pale, transparent and hyper-clean rose built around a smooth woody bone structure with the typical sour facet which has become one of the distinctive (yet not necessarily interesting) traces of modern Hermes.

What I would classify as a *politically correct* fragrance. Nice, inoffensive, civilized, decent and eventually unexciting.

Ratign: 5.5/10

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

An uplifting, fresh and simple rose scent...but is it worth €185?

The answer is no. You can find a similar designer rose EDT for less than half the price.

nero77
nero77

A silky, sparkling rose..

This fragrance has a truly beautiful smell to it. I really love Rose in all forms and this one is just exquisite!

Rose Ikebana is inspired by the texture of Silk, and the Japanese art of flower arrangement (Ikebana). As usual, Jean-Claude Ellena lends his unique style to this composition by accenting the Rose note with Grapefruit citrus and tangy Rhubarb, with a light Green Tea note in the background surrounded with bright citrus throughout.

In my opinion this is a Rose perfume for people who don't like Rose so much! Another thing I love about what Ellena has done here is that he has made it so light and refreshing that you don't get tired of smelling it. It is constantly fascinating and drawing you closer. A lot like his other creation "Iris Ukiyoé" (another one inspired by Japan). But whereas that one was the smell of Iris surrounded by bright citrus, this one is a sparkling Rose. Fresh and uplifting! Fantastic stuff.

Ritarudna
Ritarudna

A very well done rose. I could even see a rose hater falling for this one. Its not a typical, cloying, rose. Its wet, green, fresh-off-the-stem, rose. Theres also this new plastic smell thats driving me nuts, I'm so in love!!!! Its like the plastic you peel off of a new iphone, plastic. Rose. Leather purse. Skittles :D

jhitt793
jhitt793

Rose Ikebana appears to act as a soliloquy to the most beloved of all flowers. Taking a minimalist approach in his creation, Jean-Claude Ellena chooses to honor the rose not gilt it. The supporting notes are used here merely to undergird its beauty. A brief hersperidic opening allows the true star to unfurl her splendor upon us. This is a heady, permeating rose, one that has been warmed by the mid-day sun. It is radiant, vibrating and sumptuous. Acting as perfect companions to the central floral accord, tea and rhubarb notes lend a fresh crispness. As one would expect, this fragrance leans feminine in its essence. Overall, it feels like a stunning tribute to a flower which has inspired us for centuries. For you lovers of rose in parfums, this seems like the Holy Grail. (101)

agnes0515
agnes0515

Definitely Hermesssence Rose! It's simply awesome
Beautifull scent! I would absolutely recommend it

JoeMacchiato
JoeMacchiato

At first spray(on paper and on my skin), it instantly reminded me of something I smelled before. Yes, RI is very similar to Kelly Caleche except that RI is a bit softer and Kelly Caleche is a bit more fruity/juicier.

I'd go for Kelly Caleche.

jamie.smith
jamie.smith

Very pleasant citrus-rose, too subdued for me though. It does smell a lot like Kelly Caleche, although this is a little softer.

etude83
etude83

Got a tester of this at the Hermes boutique after having gone in convinced that I would be buying Ambre Narguile -- my wallet resisting all the way. I've never been a lover of rose, but there's something so fresh and lovely about this fragrance. I don't smell rhubarb OR grapefruit distinctly, but their presence contributes to the overall sparkliness of the rose accord. And yet, this isn't "sparkly" in the way commercial fruity-florals tend to be. I can't stop sniffing my wrist, but for some reason I can't bring myself to pay the hefty price tag for this either because it is so simple, pure, and light. (Not sure why those qualities make it hard to justify a high price tag in my mind.) Can anybody PLEASE recommend something similar to this at a more affordable price? OR, would somebody be interested in splitting a quad of the .5 oz bottles? Pretty please??

Lubylikes
Lubylikes

Refreshing citrus opening followed by slightly spiced rose. Nothing too complex or overwhelming. Light and breezy for daywear. Classy but inoffensive work wear. Drydown is quite lovely; rhubarb with light powdery rose. Very clean, feminine, all purpose fragrance.

IMsooKool4Real
IMsooKool4Real

It is simple but honest.

This is an honest and soft a rose scent - mingling with dew drops of rhubarb, grapefruit rind, waxy lemon peel in the early morning sunrise of a small, comfortable, cool, wet grass carpeted garden. Stunning in it's youthful shyness & simplicity.

My Grade System : 1 is horrid, 5 average, 10 perfect

Logevity : 3/10

OVERALL SCORE : 6.8/10

Hatleberger
Hatleberger

Does not last, way overpriced for what you get. Otherwise ok smell with a good name on it and a nice bottle to decorate the shelf. Getting disappointed with J C Ellena works. Really wanted to love the scent, but it is no more than just 'nice'.

orchid_84
orchid_84

The citrus is strong and juicy in the opening moments of Rose Ikebana, giving this fragrance an intensive yet refreshing feel. The rose starts off dewy and mild in the beginning, taking a back seat to the orange and lemon. A few minutes in, the rose becomes more prominent and the spices start to heat up. As it wears, it becomes drier, spicier and muskier. The tea note is never especially strong, but it’s there enough to give this fragrance a sense of freshness amidst the dry spices.

Although the rose is ever-present, the citrus, spices and musk are just as strong. This is not a rose soliflore with hints of spice and citrus. In fact, the further it dries down, the more this becomes about the sweet citrus and warm spices...the woody-spicy classification does not surprise me. The cassis adds a satisfying tartness, playing up the earthy facets of the rose. I find Rose Ikebana somehow both animalic and clean.

This lasts very well on my skin, and has fairly good sillage. The exotic combination of citrus, spices, and rose is what I had imagined The Body Shop Moroccan Rose would have smelled like had it been much higher-end and better executed.

Undoubtedly a unique rose scent. I don’t think I would spend the hefty $ on a full bottle of this stuff, but I do think it’s a wonderful fragrance. For me it comes in second to Ambre Narguile in the Hermessence series.

zetsubouko
zetsubouko

I love this very much. The scent of citrus made the rose note not so sweet and much more juicy.

mippymuppett
mippymuppett

Very beautiful!! This is a delicate lovely rose with citrus playing in the background.

Edit: The dry down...Oh what a disappointment!! IMO the dry down becomes very typical Hermes. I bought this because the opening notes were so beautiful and I liked that it was such a departure from Hermes such as Kelly Caleche. The opening notes are so short lived. Save yourself the trouble and buy a bottle of Kelly.

amber23
amber23

I usually dislike rose scented products, but this one is so different. I got a small sample few days ago, and once i sprayed my wrist, i just could not stop smelling it.... soooo beautiful... i absolutely love the smell of the roses in this one.

ducktuck
ducktuck

I didn't get any spice from this at all :( To me this was a very citrus rose, that did not last longer than 2 hours on my skin.

id
id

Rose and spices are so well balanced I can't stop sniffing my wrist. Sillage is wonderful, everything is just perfect for me. And no similarities to Kelly Caleche as I see mentioned here. This is soft fresh scent of roses like a dew in the morning could be if it had a smell. I think I'm in love. Besides, I dislike cassia note, but it fits here so well.

I received a small sample of Hermessence ROSE IKEBANA from a generous fellow fragrance traveler, and I have to say that to my nose this is a very spicy rose. In fact, the spices are every bit as dominant as the rose. I do not find this composition to be at all fruity or citrusy, as others have reported, but I do find it intriguing enough to pursue it further. So far, based on this preliminary testing, I like what I sniff.

One thing is clear: this is not your grandmother's rose soliflore!

klopgovorun
klopgovorun

Rose Ikebana was a slight disappointment for me. I like it, I do, but I hoped it would be more interesting, intriguing and complex like some of the other Hermessence scents... and maybe it has to do with my chemistry, but what I got was a wearable, but somewhat cold, clean, sharp, and uninvitingly rustic bar of rose-scented soap... alas...

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

Very clean and a little sharp to open with brisk rhubarb that's both sweet and a touch sour at the same time. Also a splash of bitter grapefruit that is perhaps white, not pink.

Rose Ikebana is very delicate but strong, like an origami crane with perfectly crisp folds. The rose is beautifully fresh and dewy; velvety pink.

The musk and tea notes soften this composition on the drydown, creating an aura of gentle grace.

I love the minimalism of Rose Ikebana--austere beauty, perfectly arranged.

George K.
George K.

A contrast of rose petals and crisp rhubarb.Airy,delicate,sparkling.Rose petals,green note of rhubarb softened by a touch of vanilla honey.

yume_asaki
yume_asaki

This is a beautiful scent. Rosy, but in a very complicated way. Off-limits for underage girls.

We first met when I was at the airport and looking for a gift for a lady. I almost missed my flight when I decided to run back to the store to buy another bottle for myself! I don't like the word "unisex" and find this a very feminine scent, but then break the rules by wearing it too. Maybe we should not call this a perfume, but instead think of it as a French countryside garden blossoming with Old Roses, captured in a bottle.

DaisyQ
DaisyQ

I never knew I liked rose scents until I tried this one.

It's a delightful fruity-citrus-rose elixir that tickles my nose (in a good way), with the rose note being fresh roses straight from the florist's refrigerator. The longevity is okay, I can still smell it on my skin after a day at work. I have read that some compare this scent to In Love Again by YSL (also created by JCE) and Babydoll by YSL. But make no mistake, while they resemble one another, this scent is far and away superior in terms of sheer beauty and complexity.

Interestingly, the sales assistant in the Hermes boutique told me that Jean-Claude Ellena was given artistic license to use whatever raw materials he wanted for the Hermessence series, and that he spared no cost. She explained that he considers the Hermessence line his "babies" because he wasn't as constricted artistically as to how the perfumes should smell. Not sure how accurate this is, but it may help explain the high price per bottle.

Catnip
Catnip

Summer flirt! This is how I would describe my relationship with this perfume. I suppose it has happened to all of us. We enter a store with the idea of one fragrance, but we fall under the spell of another. This is exactly what happened with Rose Ikebana, which I decided to try only after a long wait at a busy airport. The rest, as they say, is history.

Of all of the perfumes in the Hermessence collection, Rose Ikebana is, doubtless, the most delicate and feminine. Jean Claude Ellena’s airy style is fairly apparent here, and the notes in the dry-down remind me of some of his other compositions, particularly Eau de Pamplemousse Rose.

Rose Ikebana is a very juicy aroma, and the zesty, refreshing grapefruit note in the opening literally makes me thirsty! Indeed, if there were a juice made of roses, this is how I would imagine it: a delicious concoction of something slightly sweet, slightly tart, and slightly piquant. As the fragrance develops on the skin, there is also the allusion to a green undertone, possibly created by the notes of rhubarb, a plant which also sports a bright pinkish red color.

Perhaps I loved Rose Ikebana so much because it reminded me of those childhood days in the summer, when my school friends and I would try to make our own “perfume” out of my grandmother’s rosebushes. Had we succeeded then, I am pretty sure our fragrance would have closely resembled Rose Ikebana. There is something innocent and almost spontaneous about it.

Some perfumes challenge us intellectually as their complex compositions prompt us to analyze them. This particular fragrance is not one of them. However, Rose Ikebana is certainly unpretentious, fresh, and manages to capture the incomparable feeling that only a carefree summer day can bring. Although the fragrance is an EDT formulation, it is surprisingly long lasting on me.

Champers
Champers

I simply love this!!! Expensive but nonetheless my signature scent!!

Hermessence Rose Ikebana by Hermes 4.10 out of 5 based on 213 ratings and 26 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Hermes Hermessence Rose Ikebana fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Hermes Hermessence Rose Ikebana, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Hermessence Rose Ikebana by Hermes. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Hermessence Rose Ikebana by Hermes represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.