Designers » F-H » Woody « Groups

Hermessence Santal Massoïa Hermes for women and men
dislike

milky
Hermessence Santal Massoïa Hermes for women and men Pictures

Hermes launches the new fragrance as a part of its prestigious "poetry of perfumes" collection Hermessence. The fragrance is named Santal Massoïa.

Behind the creation of this fragrance, as well as behind the whole collection, stands the perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena. Santal Massoïa is a refined fragrance of Massoïa wood resin from New Guinea (which reminds of the coconut scent, underlined with peach and butterscotch), sandalwood, sweets made of milk and dried fruits.

The fragrance is available as 100 ml EDT. Hermessence Santal Massoïa was launched in 2011.

Sandalwood Milk Sugar Massioa Dried Fruits Floral Notes

Blasted Bloom

Hermessence Santal Massoïa Fragrance Reviews

drlaurel
drlaurel

I love sandalwood scents and you could say i'm an addict so at first spray, i thought immediately, there are better ones. Wasting my time. But I'm patient. Some of my best perfumes, I hate the opening but then run around smelling my wrist for the duration. The beginning is on the sweet side for my liking….it's like a floral sweet vs. the coconut that others are getting. You could call it a jasmine coconut, though jasmine is not listed, there is a white floral in there in the beginning. Midway through starts to get interesting…the "figlicious" starts to emerge…i love fig, green crunch fig with fig leaves. Cant stand phylosikos b/c its so synthetic but take the dry down of premier figure extreme and lighten it up (a ton) and you have something close here. I may even like this fig better than fig perfumes…haha b/c it's not listed anywhere as having fig. Maybe i can smell the milk…maybe it's the milk of a green fig? But not creamy sandalwood so much. The sandalwood is obvious throughout but disappears more on the dry down which for me is the best part. I can see the pine reference but i think that's green fig. Feminine in the beginning from the florals, but if you can stand to give it time, it man up a bit with woods and fig, which is perfect for this femme. :)

StellaDiverFlynn
StellaDiverFlynn

Upon applying Hermès Santal Massoïa, a woody, slightly coconut-y fig bursts out on my skin. Its woody aspect being initially reminiscent of cypress, the fig note is not dissimilar from the one in Un Jardin en Méditerranée, although it feels a bit more dry and less sweet in Santal Massoïa.

Soon, the fragrance is suffused with a sweet milky note. Interestingly, it didn't turn the fig into gooey molasses. Instead, a pale yet nutty sandalwood underscores the fig, rendering it more like dried figs, and holding them like a woody ark over milky waves. The contrast between dry, nutty woodiness and suave milkiness is certainly intriguing, yet the fragrance as a whole is a harmony, as the different notes are intertwined altogether thanks to their innate milky aspects.

However, this dynamic interplay between actual milkiness and nutty sandalwood does not last more than 1 hour. Afterwards, Santal Massoïa simmers down into a slightly peppery, abstract woody scent with a fraction of milky sweetness. Like previous reviewer carlosrafael, I, too, am reminded of Poivre Samarcande and Paprika Brasil. It's like Ellena replaced the cumin and the iris in the aforementioned fragrances' drydown respectively, by the milky sweetness in Santal Massoïa, to pair with this peppery, mineral 'woodiness', which I assume is the Iso-E-Super.

The sillage of Santal Massoïa is relatively soft, and the longevity is around 8 hours.

I find Santal Massoïa very enjoyable throughout its development, especially during its opening phase. However, I'm left cold by the sleek, vague 'woodiness' in the drydown. I appreciated how it smoothened the rough spices in both Poivre Samarcande and Paprika Brasil, but in Santal Massoïa, I find it actually does a disservice to the sandalwood by downplaying its rich aroma. But it's only due to my personal preferences after all, and Santal Massoïa certainly reflects perfectly the transparent aesthetic of the entire Hermessence line. If you're interested in a high-end, versatile, cozy milky woody fragrance without excessive sweetness, I think it's worth a try.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

I think I underrated this line way more than it deserved, except for Cuir d’Ange which stroke me since the very first sniff as the utter overwhelming masterpiece it is. Both Vetiver Tonka and Ambre Narguilé quite grew on me slowly over time, and lately Santal Massoia has done it too – even more slowly. It seemed to me a weak sandalwoody ”thingy” at first, while now I quite changed my mind about it (luckily I hesitated to review it right away back then). I mean, I liked it already, but it just seemed a bit too tame at first. On the contrary, it’s a fantastic, perfectly compelling and fulfilling scent: and as many fantastic scents, it just requires a bit more attention than usual to get its value at its fullest. Composition-wise it bears Ellena’s best features, which this Hermessence line surely and deservedly glorified: transparency, weightlessness, and yet a substantial, consistent, rich presence and persistence – just a different, “airy” concept of richness. If you want to understand the difference between “light” and “weightless”, then a couple of these Hermessence scents are quite a magnificent example of that.

Since the very first minutes, Santal Massoia goes back to Gucci Rush for Men’s territory: clean, modern, transparent, onirically creamy sandalwood-cedar notes, here paired with a subtle, marvelously comforting sort of milky-fruity note (the “fig” nuance). Take Gucci Rush for Men, for once not raping it like any other depressing ripoff of it did in the past years (from Azzaro Chrome to Pal Zileri Sartoriale), mix it with Carbone de Balmain’s concept of a “fig-infused woody accord”, give it a luxury, extremely quality substance and elegance as in the very few best sandalwood scents of all times, tweak the volume know down to left a bit, spray it on an angel’s wing, distill it, there’s Santal Massoia. By the way, the “angelic” component – I wasn’t kidding about that – will emerge even more clearly on the late drydown, a fantastic, ephemeral sort of watercolour touch of bright, vibrant yet extremely delicate floral nuances with a light woody undertone, oddly even more fresher than the early stages.

A superb piece of classy understatement, nowhere and anywhere on your skin, one of those subtle scents which seem always about to vanish and yet you smell around them for hours, and hours. Just pure white brilliance with a sophisticated, somehow opalescent and dreamy texture as in some old Polaroids of a trip to Middle East. It’s very simple actually, a delicate (and amazingly high-quality) creamy sandalwood, and yet Ellena’s ability makes it smell just like heaven. A dreamlike reflection of heaven, actually, given its smooth, glassy, see-through substance. Just give it a shot. Amazing and completely unique.

8,5-9/10

jhitt793

'Santal Massoïa' opens with a sweet white floral accord with nuances of coconut milk. I smell hints of lily and osmanthus, their subtle facets of stone fruit noticeable. The lactonic coconut essence seems to bathe the floral top notes with a luscious, milky tone. There are nuances of dried fruit which decorate the saccharine qualities of the opening, most notably fig and apricot. Both harmonize well with the aforementioned introductory accord. Fig's coconut-laden scent mirroring the milky accord, while apricot reminds one of osmanthus blossom's sweet floralcy. Rounded woody notes of both sandalwood and massoïa develop in the heart of the fragrance. Like a soft cashmere blanket, both woods envelop their wearer in a cocoon of warmth. Their sensual depths are expounded upon by the inclusion of the proceeding milky, lactonic accord. The overall effect is chenille-like; velvety and warm without being suffocating.

As an "eau de toilette", 'Santal Massoïa' is a contained scent which seems to float gently above one's skin. Therefore, sillage and projection are modest to light. This is not much unlike the rest of the Hermessence collection from Hermès, which all seem to be personal "guilty pleasures" to wear. The effect is warm and caressing, as if pulling on a cozy wool sweater. Both men and women can easily seek refuge in wearing this unisex scent. Neither the feminine opening floral notes nor the masculine woody base seem to predominate, causing the composition to hover somewhere in perfect harmony. I love wearing this fragrance in the depths of winter's melancholy. For me the fragrance uplifts my spirit and provides me an inner warmth and certainty, driving one to get closer to others in order to share in its comforting gifts. Take solace in 'Santal Massoïa' and its warm embrace.

Read my complete review at my personal blog
Fragranceemergency.blogspot.com

s.pa_pandora
s.pa_pandora

Whenever I want to feel innocent but strong and elegant in the same time, I always select Hermessence Santal Massoïa for my using fragrance.

The gem Hermessence does not make me feel like neither eating dessert nor being a little child, but it reveals my deep other self, which is not worldly-minded. I mean an enthusiastic person who wants to learn new surroundings or experiences all the time.

In my mind, Hermessence Santal Massoïa is a high-quality perfume with well-mixed notes between sandalwood (symbol of adultness, elegance and sophistication) and milk (symbol of childishness, naïveness and purity).

Longevity: for me, it is 7-9 hours.
Sillage: moderate within 1-2 hours and skin scent later :)
Score: 10/10, five stars !!!

avagard
avagard

I blind bought an official Hermes "Santal Massoia" 4 ml spray atomizer online judging from the notes and since i love massoia wood smell. It's a lightly bugs'spray scented water. No sillage, no lasting power. I threw away the money and will no more buy something from Hermes. Even products from mass markets brand such as "L' Acquolina" are MUCH better than this. How can Hermes sell these shoddy perfumes at such prices remains a mistery to me.

cool_sparkling_water
cool_sparkling_water

This is one of the best sandalwood scents I have come across. I get a very creamy smooth sandalwood with a hint of milky coconut sweetness, softly musky, fresh, elegant, and it has an almost chewy quality to it on me (like those ginger chews wrapped in rice paper although this doesn't smell like ginger). I find it overall well-blended and has a luxurious, silky, comforting scrumptious feeling to it. I have some aged sandalwood vanatu oil that shares similarities with the sandalwood scent in here.

I only have two major problems with it: the price and how soft and demure it is. There's hardly any sillage or longevity on me.

HanamiTsukimi
HanamiTsukimi

Woody, sweet, deep and comforting. Like a log cabin in a wintery wood or a bowl of creamy wheat porridge on a cold day. There's a slight sharpness to it, especially at the beginning, that makes it slightly more masculine than feminine. But it can be worn by either sex as it's very discreet and soft.

Too discreet and soft for the price, for my lifestyle. But I leave the ultimate judgment on that up to the individual's discretion. If you have the cash and you're in the market for a classy sandalwood, here's a lovely option.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

A perfectly nice milky figgy sandalwood, quite relaxed. Smells exactly like a Hollister shop. Which isn't a bad thing - it's not the cloying generic reek of an Abercrombie store. More masculine to me, it even has a mildly leathery undertone to it. Really, quite a good scent for a man (not to exclude it for women ofc)but I just feel like this line is priced outrageously. Especially when I'm pretty sure you can probably actually buy the fragrance they use in the Hollister shop in store. More than anything, to me this was disappointing because it was simply a non-descript woody scent, rather than being an impressive sandalwood.

Thesheppardswife
Thesheppardswife

The title of this review should be:
"You can't judge a book by its cover and you can't judge a fragrance by the listed notes."

Sometimes one has to live dangerously, - throw caution to the wind - and just try a fragrance. There was nothing in the description of, or notes of Santal Massoia, that would ever entice me too voluntarily try it. (This frag came to me as a random sample from Hermes, with a few other samples I had requested.)

The first note I picked up was dill, followed by other greens and herbs. Then came a quite spicy pepper-iness, reminiscent of chrysanthemum flowers or nasturtium leaves. That peppery note stayed for a long time.

This is a really intriguing one for me. I cannot think of a single logical reason why I like this frag, but I do. There is nothing floral going on, it's mostly herbal. Oh and I usually run a mile from sandalwood, so I don't know how I can like this. Maybe massioa wood resins appeal to me unlike other woods?

While I might not pay for a bottle of this myself, I would not be displeased if it ever showed up as a gift.

lilalina
lilalina

Wasn't very impressed by this. It's a lovely sandalwood scent though but not very unique or different. Reminded me slightly of Diptyque's Philosykos.

pauroj
pauroj

love santal massoia so good , woods woods and more woods clean, fresh, awesome , i want to get my hands on a full bottle as soon as possible

sleepy*weasel
sleepy*weasel

I love it: I'm a fan of milky scents anyway and I would like anything with good quality ingredients smelling like "woody nut milk". Musc Nomade has this same vibe: beige, soft, comforting. Straight off I get sandalwood and milk, then it settles to an exquisite woody floral, quite persistent if close to the skin. I'm looking for a tall glass of "woody nut milk" whenever I smell it. Very foody. And I definitely get a good quality sandalwood note in this. Lovely stuff :)

lizardqueen
lizardqueen

Straight up fig. A milky, creamy fig. No sandalwood, no other woods, just fig. Not my cup of figgy tea.

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

WHAT!? €185 FOR AN EAU DU TOILETTE!!!!????

Pathetic. I pity the fool who is gullible enough to fall for this ridiculously over-priced line!

This literally smells like minty fig water. Nothing else. It disappears in to a whisper after barely 30 mins on the skin.

How can Hermés justify this? There are no ingredients in here worth that kind of money. The bottle is simple, clear glass. The longevity and projection are awful...

This is honestly for people who have more money then sense.

*EDIT* Oh and for people comparing it to "Coco Blanc", they are really nothing alike. "Coco Blanc" is denser, creamier and more vanillic. The only thing they have in common is sillage and longevity.

Carestinus
Carestinus

The first time I tried this I was in the worst possible scenario, a hotdog place, full of those sickening smells of fried potatoes and over-the-top seasoning. I opened my brand new box (believe me this is one of the most luxurious and high end packagings I've met) while having hot sausages all around (being a vegetarian that's far from paradise).

Still, the moment this touched my skin I felt transported to another world, a very refined one and my heart went pum pee tee boom pee tee boom, I thought it was so elegant, so well blended and definitely what I had in mind when getting a(n)Hermessence. The first thoughts were "this is soooo figgy, amazing use of it... but wait... where is fig in the notes?" Then I felt it leant towards gourmand territory and again... how come a gourmand from the notes? never quite crossing the line though... very velvety and chic. So indeed I had an instant crush on this and I still think this is a gorgeous scent... but not for me.

In this case, softly foody again as the other hermessences I've sampled, my caveat is related to its gender. I wear happily all sorts of unisex scents and this could well work well on some men... but you wouldn't believe how it works on women... wonderful!!!! I winded up giving this to a friend and as soon as she passed by having this on her scarf I knew it always belonged to her (to them). It is a soft scent that lingers for a long time and all the things I've read here are accurate, milky, figgy, slightly green, woody... the style is very Jean Claude Ellena indeed. So don't expect a parfum de sillage.

Don't miss this scent if you like his style and the VERY discreet charm he weaves.

nero77
nero77

Milk & Woods...

Santal Massoïa is a milky, fig-like interpretation of creamy sandalwood. It is a sweet, very playful scent which blends with the skin beautifully giving a translucent, "beige" like impression of warm, musky skin.

I find that Jean Claud-Ellena's description of "milky woods" sums this up pretty well. Sandalwood itself is known for it's milky, creamy quality (notes of real Milk are also featured in the composition) and the note of Massoïa adds another special quality... a cinnamon-like vibe juxtaposed with real Coconut notes. The Fig note here is both green, and slightly mineral-like in the top (Ellena's trademark use of Iso-E-Super), but dried fruit-like and resinous in the background too.

A pretty enjoyable fragrance, I find it very nice and approachable. Be warned though, it is a skin scent throughout. It stays very close and blends with warm skin, staying there until the drydown.

alchemist1976stephanie
alchemist1976stephanie

Soft, milky, slightly spicy. Lovely smell, too bad it's so soft that if you don't take it all in within the first 2 hours, poof! It's gone. If it were 5times stronger, it might be worth buying, but not at this strength.

Bella77
Bella77

Beautiful!

Otherwise the real fragrance composition is:

Top notes: star anise
Middle notes: coconut, hedione (freshness booster coming from tea or jasmine), green notes and peach
Ground notes: santal, woody amber, cedar, heliotrope and licorice

Longevity and sillage are medium but it's normal for eau de toilette. Any way that is the pleasure to add the fragrance at the beginning of the afternoon!

craftyminx
craftyminx

This is gorgeous! Sweet and woody and creamy...absolutely beautiful. One of my coworkers commented that I've always got new stuff, but this was his favorite of my scents. Unfortunately, even wearing it on a cold day when fragrances normally wouldn't evaporate off my skin very quickly, I only got about four hours out of it. I would have liked for it to wear longer, but as generous a sample as Hermes sends, I can afford to reapply.

Michael1962
Michael1962

Very much a subtle and underwhelming sandalwood scent with a creamy milk glaze.I dont detect the dried fruits but pick up a slight coconut vibe as well as subtle fig note (I think).
Interesting but hardly memorable.There is something slightly askew for me.I feel there are better Hermessence and sandalwood perfumes available.

jhitt793

Like a soft chenille blanket, Santal Massoia envelopes its wearer in a velvety warm embrace. It is sandalwood's richly sweet, creamy texture which Jean-Claude Ellena elaborates upon in this sensual Hermessence offering. Paired beautifully with massoia wood's lactonic odor, the two create an overall milky accord. Dulce de leche offers a gentle caramelized sweetness while dried fruit (most noticeably apricot and possibly fig) lend a gourmand tone. The said included floral notes (albeit subtle) are most likely indolic white florals such as tuberose and jasmine, having their creamy facets amplified by the massoia wood's coconut-like scent. I feel this is a unique take on a sandalwood based fragrance, as it is usually pared with pungent incense or noisy spices (see Creed's 'Original Santal'). Here's a fragrance which is equally masculine as it is feminine, and one in which both sexes can agree is carnal in nature. (102)

Travis453
Travis453

This stuff is awesome! It can last the whole day and then some but it has to be an extremely hot day for it to work as it should. The Sandalwood gives off such a creamy smooth smell that is so alluring and envelopes one square block with its sillage. On cool days it doesn't however have this effect, since there isn't the heat there, it just kind of sits on the skin and almost has a scent of bug spray or something... So I learned my lesson on the rules with this one, but when the conditions are met, this stuff can turn heads!

TeeTeeRarr
TeeTeeRarr

The issue with notes is that you can guess but you never truly know what they combine into! Case in point- this perfume. It smells nothing like expected from reading the notes. I don't get any fruits, there is nothing milky here and it is just barely sweet.... if at all. Imagine dry woods impregnated with dusty iris and you have a better idea of what this actually smells like. It is very masculine even though it is listed as unisex. I hate to say this but it smells like shoe polish. Iris has a tendency to do this to a composition.

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

Great fragrance, it has the same DNA as a couple of other Hermes fragrances. It reminds me a little bit of Poivre Sarmancande and Paprika Brazil. I don't smell much Sandalwood though. And the milk, who came up with that? None whatsoever. Nice fragrance nonetheless.

Albin
Albin

This one is great, very pleasant and smooth.

smelling_gr8
smelling_gr8

What a peculiar fragrance! It smells quite milky to me, like a can of condensed milk or a baby that has just been breastfed.
It is a comforting scent, suited for a cold weather, longevity is pretty good...yet...I don't know...I sort of like it but also do not like it. I think it's the sweet milky note I am not keen on.

witch_mum
witch_mum

I've been wearing some verious kind of santal fragrances but all of them were for long term to strong - smelling like a barique wine barrel for all day definitely isn't what I want. Santal Massoia was love for the first sniff as all components are well balanced and it isn't overpowering either. Even again a typical JCE fragrance with its airy attribute.

gatky
gatky

I don't get much of sandalwood, neither milk. The first notes remind me of squeezed suculents like aloe vera or crassula, then the perfume becomes slightly sweeter, it's not the milky sweetness that would make me sick but rather dried fruits sweetness combined with wood.
The sandalwood and massoia are there, furtherly present, distant, such an ideal that the perfume would like to reach but it... I cannot say fails: no, the lasting power is incredible on me, but it's still just a concept of the 'idea of sandalwood', not sandalwood itself - but what else is a perfume: an idea of something material :)

mseidoom
mseidoom

To me, this smells like a sweeter version of Bois Blonds by Atelier Cologne. It's woody and I get the hint of something sweet, almost like vanilla. I didn't smell the coconut note. This fragrance is very light and the staying power is poor.

Hermès Hermessence SANTAL MASSOIA is definitely the nicest sandalwood-centric perfume I've smelled in recent history, and there have been many since sweet sandalwood somehow became designated as "the juice" from which to start many a designer launch. Although the sweetness in this case appears not to be due to vanilla, there's enough sugar in this composition to make it closer to an oriental than a woody perfume. Some gents therefore may find SANTAL MASSOIA too feminine. In the drydown, I detect an emergent (pseudo-)woody fig quality which may or may not appeal to some wearers.

The quasi-coconut milk note (apparently constructed from massoia and "milk") adds creaminess but not the scent of coconut, which will be good news for those who eschew suntan lotion and monoi facsimiles. SANTAL MASSOIA is a very simple perfume. If you like natural-smelling sweet creamy sandalwood, then you'll like this scent, but it's not a complex or provocative perfume. Nonetheless, it wears well, and I would not mind in the least having a bottle of this!

George K.
George K.

Name :
Santal Massoia (10th Hermessence 2011)

Created by JEAN -Claude Ellena for
Hermessence Collection

Supple
Instinctive
Sensual

The magnetic union of two milky woods,sandalwood and massoia.A foray into the unexpected,a fragrance that is both sweet and pungent,combining the skin-like supplensess of these woods with the warmth of resin and the delicious element of dried fruits and dulce de leche.Strange and familiar in one bottle!!!

Price:180€ -100ml Edt.
290€ - 200ml Edt.
And Nomad Set 4x15ml - 108€ or 12x15ml -312€

jasonchickerson
jasonchickerson

Santal Massoia is a nice milky sandalwood scent. Classy, elegant, understated. Hugely overpriced. Absurdly fleeting.

On paper and clothes, SM is honey sweet with a distinct peppery alcohol accord that is only mildly off-putting. On my skin, it is buttery sweet wood and cotton rag, an old cigar box full of postcards. There is something here like a hint of wood glue that keeps SM from becoming cloying or powdery.

None of that matters, though, because like all of the Hermessence line (save Ambre Narguile), thirty minutes after I spray this on, I can't smell it even if I clear my palate and sniff nose to skin.

Dogma
Dogma

A nice mild sandlewood/floral scent but at 170 euros it's way, WAY over-priced for what it is. Obviously Hermes set out to make an exclusive line that all the riff-raff couldn't afford when it created the Hermessence Collection.

Also, it has the potency of a cologne, rather than an EDT or EDP.

ducktuck
ducktuck

This smells like Fig to me even though it's not listed, and I see that I am not alone in that thought.
It's soft subtle, and gets a little more creamy and woodsy as it mellows, but to me it's not as fab as many of the other scents in this line.
Has good lasting power and moderate sillage.

Youggo
Youggo

After a fresh start, it turns very sweet and milky, but... smells more like a fig milk than a sandalwood. I was waiting for a beautiful milky and natural sandalwood, and Ellena brings us a fig fragrance quite similar to Diptyque's Philosykos. Very disappointing, I can't say if I like it or not.

gamos
gamos

I' ve tried it today in the Hernes Boutique, one day before it will be in the shelves. Those of you that expecting something smooth and creamy, will probably be a bit disappointed. It is nice, very woody, and as it dries down, it has a hint of a pine smell, a bit like a fresh green christmas tree. I will defenitely go for it!