Designers » F-H » Woody « Groups

Hermessence Santal Massoïa Hermes for women and men
dislike

milky
Hermessence Santal Massoïa Hermes for women and men Pictures

Hermes launches the new fragrance as a part of its prestigious "poetry of perfumes" collection Hermessence. The fragrance is named Santal Massoïa.

Behind the creation of this fragrance, as well as behind the whole collection, stands the perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena. Santal Massoïa is a refined fragrance of Massoïa wood resin from New Guinea (which reminds of the coconut scent, underlined with peach and butterscotch), sandalwood, sweets made of milk and dried fruits.

The fragrance is available as 100 ml EDT. Hermessence Santal Massoïa was launched in 2011.

Sandalwood Milk Sugar Massioa Dried Fruits Floral Notes

Coco Blanc

Hermessence Santal Massoïa Fragrance Reviews

sleepy*weasel
sleepy*weasel

I love it: I'm a fan of milky scents anyway and I would like anything with good quality ingredients smelling like "woody nut milk". Musc Nomade has this same vibe: beige, soft, comforting. Straight off I get sandalwood and milk, then it settles to an exquisite woody floral, quite persistent if close to the skin. I'm looking for a tall glass of "woody nut milk" whenever I smell it. Very foody. And I definitely get a good quality sandalwood note in this. Lovely stuff :)

lizardqueen
lizardqueen

Straight up fig. A milky, creamy fig. No sandalwood, no other woods, just fig. Not my cup of figgy tea.

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

WHAT!? €185 FOR AN EAU DU TOILETTE!!!!????

Pathetic. I pity the fool who is gullible enough to fall for this ridiculously over-priced line!

This literally smells like fig water. Nothing else. It disappears in to a whisper after barely 15 mins on the skin.

How can Hermés justify this? There are no ingredients in here worth that kind of money. The bottle is simple, clear glass. The longevity and projection are awful...

This is honestly for people who have more money then sense.

Carestinus
Carestinus

The first time I tried this I was in the worst possible scenario, a hotdog place, full of those sickening smells of fried potatoes and over-the-top seasoning. I opened my brand new box (believe me this is one of the most luxurious and high end packagings I've met) while having hot sausages all around (being a vegetarian that's far from paradise).

Still, the moment this touched my skin I felt transported to another world, a very refined one and my heart went pum pee tee boom pee tee boom, I thought it was so elegant, so well blended and definitely what I had in mind when getting a(n)Hermessence. The first thoughts were "this is soooo figgy, amazing use of it... but wait... where is fig in the notes?" Then I felt it leant towards gourmand territory and again... how come a gourmand from the notes? never quite crossing the line though... very velvety and chic. So indeed I had an instant crush on this and I still think this is a gorgeous scent... but not for me.

In this case, softly foody again as the other hermessences I've sampled, my caveat is related to its gender. I wear happily all sorts of unisex scents and this could well work well on some men... but you wouldn't believe how it works on women... wonderful!!!! I winded up giving this to a friend and as soon as she passed by having this on her scarf I knew it always belonged to her (to them). It is a soft scent that lingers for a long time and all the things I've read here are accurate, milky, figgy, slightly green, woody... the style is very Jean Claude Ellena indeed. So don't expect a parfum de sillage.

Don't miss this scent if you like his style and the VERY discreet charm he weaves.

nero77
nero77

Milk & Woods...

Santal Massoïa is a milky, fig-like interpretation of creamy sandalwood. It is a sweet, very playful scent which blends with the skin beautifully giving a translucent, "beige" like impression of warm, musky skin.

I find that Jean Claud-Ellena's description of "milky woods" sums this up pretty well. Sandalwood itself is known for it's milky, creamy quality (notes of real Milk are also featured in the composition) and the note of Massoïa adds another special quality... a cinnamon-like vibe juxtaposed with real Coconut notes. The Fig note here is both green, and slightly mineral-like in the top (Ellena's trademark use of Iso-E-Super), but dried fruit-like and resinous in the background too.

A pretty enjoyable fragrance, I find it very nice and approachable. Be warned though, it is a skin scent throughout. It stays very close and blends with warm skin, staying there until the drydown.

alchemist1976stephanie
alchemist1976stephanie

Soft, milky, slightly spicy. Lovely smell, too bad it's so soft that if you don't take it all in within the first 2 hours, poof! It's gone. If it were 5times stronger, it might be worth buying, but not at this strength.

Bella77
Bella77

Beautiful!

Otherwise the real fragrance composition is:

Top notes: star anise
Middle notes: coconut, hedione (freshness booster coming from tea or jasmine), green notes and peach
Ground notes: santal, woody amber, cedar, heliotrope and licorice

Longevity and sillage are medium but it's normal for eau de toilette. Any way that is the pleasure to add the fragrance at the beginning of the afternoon!

craftyminx
craftyminx

This is gorgeous! Sweet and woody and creamy...absolutely beautiful. One of my coworkers commented that I've always got new stuff, but this was his favorite of my scents. Unfortunately, even wearing it on a cold day when fragrances normally wouldn't evaporate off my skin very quickly, I only got about four hours out of it. I would have liked for it to wear longer, but as generous a sample as Hermes sends, I can afford to reapply.

Michael1962
Michael1962

Very much a subtle and underwhelming sandalwood scent with a creamy milk glaze.I dont detect the dried fruits but pick up a slight coconut vibe as well as subtle fig note (I think).
Interesting but hardly memorable.There is something slightly askew for me.I feel there are better Hermessence and sandalwood perfumes available.

jhitt793
jhitt793

Like a soft chenille blanket, Santal Massoia envelopes its wearer in a velvety warm embrace. It is sandalwood's richly sweet, creamy texture which Jean-Claude Ellena elaborates upon in this sensual Hermessence offering. Paired beautifully with massoia wood's lactonic odor, the two create an overall milky accord. Dulce de leche offers a gentle caramelized sweetness while dried fruit (most noticeably apricot and possibly fig) lend a gourmand tone. The said included floral notes (albeit subtle) are most likely indolic white florals such as tuberose and jasmine, having their creamy facets amplified by the massoia wood's coconut-like scent. I feel this is a unique take on a sandalwood based fragrance, as it is usually pared with pungent incense or noisy spices (see Creed's 'Original Santal'). Here's a fragrance which is equally masculine as it is feminine, and one in which both sexes can agree is carnal in nature. (102)

Travis453
Travis453

This stuff is awesome! It can last the whole day and then some but it has to be an extremely hot day for it to work as it should. The Sandalwood gives off such a creamy smooth smell that is so alluring and envelopes one square block with its sillage. On cool days it doesn't however have this effect, since there isn't the heat there, it just kind of sits on the skin and almost has a scent of bug spray or something... So I learned my lesson on the rules with this one, but when the conditions are met, this stuff can turn heads!

TeeTeeRarr
TeeTeeRarr

The issue with notes is that you can guess but you never truly know what they combine into! Case in point- this perfume. It smells nothing like expected from reading the notes. I don't get any fruits, there is nothing milky here and it is just barely sweet.... if at all. Imagine dry woods impregnated with dusty iris and you have a better idea of what this actually smells like. It is very masculine even though it is listed as unisex. I hate to say this but it smells like shoe polish. Iris has a tendency to do this to a composition.

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

Great fragrance, it has the same DNA as a couple of other Hermes fragrances. It reminds me a little bit of Poivre Sarmancande and Paprika Brazil. I don't smell much Sandalwood though. And the milk, who came up with that? None whatsoever. Nice fragrance nonetheless.

Albin
Albin

This one is great, very pleasant and smooth.

smelling_gr8
smelling_gr8

What a peculiar fragrance! It smells quite milky to me, like a can of condensed milk or a baby that has just been breastfed.
It is a comforting scent, suited for a cold weather, longevity is pretty good...yet...I don't know...I sort of like it but also do not like it. I think it's the sweet milky note I am not keen on.

witch_mum
witch_mum

I've been wearing some verious kind of santal fragrances but all of them were for long term to strong - smelling like a barique wine barrel for all day definitely isn't what I want. Santal Massoia was love for the first sniff as all components are well balanced and it isn't overpowering either. Even again a typical JCE fragrance with its airy attribute.

gatky
gatky

I don't get much of sandalwood, neither milk. The first notes remind me of squeezed suculents like aloe vera or crassula, then the perfume becomes slightly sweeter, it's not the milky sweetness that would make me sick but rather dried fruits sweetness combined with wood.
The sandalwood and massoia are there, furtherly present, distant, such an ideal that the perfume would like to reach but it... I cannot say fails: no, the lasting power is incredible on me, but it's still just a concept of the 'idea of sandalwood', not sandalwood itself - but what else is a perfume: an idea of something material :)

mseidoom
mseidoom

To me, this smells like a sweeter version of Bois Blonds by Atelier Cologne. It's woody and I get the hint of something sweet, almost like vanilla. I didn't smell the coconut note. This fragrance is very light and the staying power is poor.

Hermès Hermessence SANTAL MASSOIA is definitely the nicest sandalwood-centric perfume I've smelled in recent history, and there have been many since sweet sandalwood somehow became designated as "the juice" from which to start many a designer launch. Although the sweetness in this case appears not to be due to vanilla, there's enough sugar in this composition to make it closer to an oriental than a woody perfume. Some gents therefore may find SANTAL MASSOIA too feminine. In the drydown, I detect an emergent (pseudo-)woody fig quality which may or may not appeal to some wearers.

The quasi-coconut milk note (apparently constructed from massoia and "milk") adds creaminess but not the scent of coconut, which will be good news for those who eschew suntan lotion and monoi facsimiles. SANTAL MASSOIA is a very simple perfume. If you like natural-smelling sweet creamy sandalwood, then you'll like this scent, but it's not a complex or provocative perfume. Nonetheless, it wears well, and I would not mind in the least having a bottle of this!

George K.
George K.

Name :
Santal Massoia (10th Hermessence 2011)

Created by JEAN -Claude Ellena for
Hermessence Collection

Supple
Instinctive
Sensual

The magnetic union of two milky woods,sandalwood and massoia.A foray into the unexpected,a fragrance that is both sweet and pungent,combining the skin-like supplensess of these woods with the warmth of resin and the delicious element of dried fruits and dulce de leche.Strange and familiar in one bottle!!!

Price:180€ -100ml Edt.
290€ - 200ml Edt.
And Nomad Set 4x15ml - 108€ or 12x15ml -312€

jasonchickerson
jasonchickerson

Santal Massoia is a nice milky sandalwood scent. Classy, elegant, understated. Hugely overpriced. Absurdly fleeting.

On paper and clothes, SM is honey sweet with a distinct peppery alcohol accord that is only mildly off-putting. On my skin, it is buttery sweet wood and cotton rag, an old cigar box full of postcards. There is something here like a hint of wood glue that keeps SM from becoming cloying or powdery.

None of that matters, though, because like all of the Hermessence line (save Ambre Narguile), thirty minutes after I spray this on, I can't smell it even if I clear my palate and sniff nose to skin.

Dogma
Dogma

A nice mild sandlewood/floral scent but at 170 euros it's way, WAY over-priced for what it is. Obviously Hermes set out to make an exclusive line that all the riff-raff couldn't afford when it created the Hermessence Collection.

Also, it has the potency of a cologne, rather than an EDT or EDP.

ducktuck
ducktuck

This smells like Fig to me even though it's not listed, and I see that I am not alone in that thought.
It's soft subtle, and gets a little more creamy and woodsy as it mellows, but to me it's not as fab as many of the other scents in this line.
Has good lasting power and moderate sillage.

Youggo
Youggo

After a fresh start, it turns very sweet and milky, but... smells more like a fig milk than a sandalwood. I was waiting for a beautiful milky and natural sandalwood, and Ellena brings us a fig fragrance quite similar to Diptyque's Philosykos. Very disappointing, I can't say if I like it or not.

gamos
gamos

I' ve tried it today in the Hernes Boutique, one day before it will be in the shelves. Those of you that expecting something smooth and creamy, will probably be a bit disappointed. It is nice, very woody, and as it dries down, it has a hint of a pine smell, a bit like a fresh green christmas tree. I will defenitely go for it!

Hermessence Santal Massoïa by Hermes 3.99 out of 5 based on 206 ratings and 25 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Hermes Hermessence Santal Massoïa fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Hermes Hermessence Santal Massoïa, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Hermessence Santal Massoïa by Hermes. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Hermessence Santal Massoïa by Hermes represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.