Designers » F-H » Oriental Vanilla « Groups

Hermessence Vanille Galante Hermes for women and men

Hermessence Vanille Galante Hermes for women and men
dislike

Hermessence Vanille Galante Hermes for women and men Pictures Hermessence Vanille Galante Hermes for women and men Pictures

Created in 2004 by Jean-Claude Ellena, Hermessence is a collection of unique fragrances conceived as olfactory poems using perfuming’s most exclusive elements. As sober and intense as Japanese haiku, they reinvent a nature that is as precious as it is unusual, as if rendered by the inspired writing of a composer in search of the new.

Enriched each time the perfumer discovers a new country, a language, a culture or simply extraordinary new ingredients, as of today the line consists of eight fragrances, exclusively available in Hermès stores.

Vanille Galante: a sensuous, paradoxical vanilla that murmurs its full depth with unexpected lightness. “Some describe this scent as lazy and monotonous – for others, it constitutes its power – and I felt like responding to that by expressing another dimension of vanilla, light as a breeze, with hints of spice, petals and smoked wood”, notes Jean-Claude Ellena. Hermessence Vanille Galante was launched in 2009.

Vanille Floral Notes Woodsy Notes Spicy Notes Cognac Tobacco Cacao White Musk

Hermessence Vanille Galante Fragrance Reviews

People into longevity and sillage look away now.

I blame my dislike of vanilla to the plethora of cheap vanilla fragrances overpopulating the market since forever. Most people generally not into perfume, whenever they decide it's about time to buy a fragrance, they go 90% of the times for something vanilla-centered. The problem is that of this 90%, another 90% of the time their choice go towards cheap-goumrnadic and overly sweet vanillas.The result is that we're surrounded by cheap vanilla. As a matter of fact, I very rarely can stand vanilla fragrances (exception made for a bunch of older Guerlains, some ambers and very few others).

With that said, Vanille Galante is completely another thing. I'm generally not a big fan of Ellena's *light touch* but in this case it definitely played in the fragrance favor. To me, VG reads mainly as a watery-floral with vanillic facets. There's a banana peel vibe going on (probably provided by the ylang-ylang) and a bitter, kind of smoky, presence contrasting the overall sweetness. The result is beyond sophistication in my opinion. Light but noticeable, extremely elegant and, in the end, quite an unique take on the main theme.

Now, two more considerations:

1) As most of the Hermessence, I find this overpriced. It's good and I thoroughly like it but it's not better than most of the *regular* Hermes if you like their general style. Both quality-wise and artistically-wise.

2) For the most part, my theory is that there aren't good ingredients and bad ones. Yes, there are better and worst quality vanillas, there are materials that depending on one's tastes are more appealing than others but, the big difference is made by how perfumers use them.

Downline: Vanille Galante is probably not a masterpiece but is a thoroughly enjoyable fragrance in my book.

Rating: 7-7.5/10

Frayja
Frayja

I have to confess that I hate vanilla in perfumes.
I can barely stand vanilla only when very talented perfumers hide the note well,so I can't detect that is there.
But my dear friend Desiree send me a huge sample of this and because I am a devoted follower of Hermes,I test it.
What a beauty!If the name wasn't Vanille Galante,I could swear that isn't a vanilla in there.
A beautiful,ethereal white flower note,reminding me of full in bloom almond trees,blended with light tobacco and woods,maybe?Very light,very poetic,very vibrant.
Well,the thing about talented perfumers,high quality ingredients vs all the rest.
Thank you Desiree for the chance,thank you monsieur Ellena for prove me wrong hating vanilla.

Jitterbug Perfume Lover
Jitterbug Perfume Lover

A very beautiful creamy ylang-ylang opening changed into a super light, whisper thin vanilla. After that, it was algae - the kind you get when you clean a fish tank.

tubereuse
tubereuse

I get very light vanilla, described previously by someone else as sheer - very much so. Light wood, a tiny bit of ylang ylang - sweet & sticky. Lovely but a fast fader!

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

Apparently the chemistry of this composition is for a few lucky ones. Crudely what I get out of VG is the same thing I smell out of a newly wet baby diaper, a combination of some baby wetness, moisturizer and lubricant.

nero77
nero77

I really like this one! Sweet, sheer and subtle.

I get a lot of ylang-ylang in here (along with that characteristic faint, yet creamy hint of a banana like note). But what I especially like here is Jean-Claude Ellena's transparent use of vanilla. Forget the heavy, boozy, almost animalic vanilla of Guerlain, etc. Here the Vanilla is wrapped in very light spices and cognac. It's still quite light, but by no means fleeting. I would best describe it as "transparent". Neither too light, nor too heavy and cloying.

His inspiration was the origin of Vanilla as a trading spice, being brought across oceans in long voyages on sailing ships; along with other spices such as cloves and cinnamon, all tightly packed next to wooden barrels of cognac etc. All these ingredients can be detected in this fragrance, and they are all balanced beautifully.

I think Vanille Gallante is actually a really beautiful one. I know other people get rotten banana out of this, and that's a shame. But to me it's smells like hints of spices, Indian chai tea, and a creamy vanilla extract. I find it quite intoxicating. I think this is my favourite use of vanilla outside of a Guerlain perfume. Very different though, but I appreciate his take on it. Not bad Ellena!

lshcat
lshcat

On initial application this seemed promising, very sweet and simple like freshly baked vanilla cookies and honeysuckle. Quickly though, it turned into bananas mixed lightly with bug spray. Not a winner for me, sadly.

alchemist1976stephanie
alchemist1976stephanie

Sadly unremarkable. Not a warm vanilla, in fact not a real vanilla scent at all. Smells more like a low grade ylang ylang which gives me the impression of my dentists office. No thanks.

Hellita
Hellita

Thank you so much for your great review, earthkeeper below. I do believe it might be the testers gone bad, because something smells fishy to me (unfortunately I'm not gonna buy a whole bottle of it because the price is too high to gamble on). I'm glad others get the beauty out of this fragrance. I don't.

hanson26
hanson26

I was really hesitant about trying this one because of the reviews, because otherwise, it seemed like it would be right up my alley (flowers and vanilla, and done by Hermes to boot). Now, I am not the biggest fan of most Hermes fragrances but I know I can count on them to make a vanilla that isn't sickly sweet or foody, hence why I really wanted to try this. It did not disappoint! Though I am not sure where many of the reviews are coming from. Fishy? No, not at all. Salty? Nope, just not overly sweet. The vanilla here is a very real, vanilla pod type of vanilla. There is nothing sugary about it, but it is creamy. Also, for me this is really all about the vanilla. There are some florals and spices to round it out but there is no doubt that this is a vanilla fragrance. Maybe If you are used to more gourmand vanillas this might seem to be light on vanilla, but it's not, it's simply a different kind of vanilla. My kind of vanilla. I've been looking for a soft, non-gourmand vanilla for a while and have found it in Vanille Galante. It kind of reminds me of Orchidee Vanille by VC&A but softer in every way. It has that same vanilla and flowers theme but this one is much less sweet (even though I wouldn't call Orchidee Vanille a gourmand either, it is just very sweet). All that said, there is one area I am slightly disappointed in, especially for the price, and that would be sillage and longevity. It could just be my sample (and the fact that I had to dab on a small amount rather than spray, this isn't a parfum so that's certainly not how it would normally be applied), but for the price, I'd want it to be a tad stronger. In any case, it's lovely. Vanilla for floral lovers.

lecatmo
lecatmo

It smells like sunflower, much stronger though, but as if you smelt directly from the middle of sunflower in full bloom.
I like the smell in nature but not on me.

earthkeeper
earthkeeper

Alright! I believe I can slightly demystify the fish smell that some experience with Vanille Galante.

I got a few samples of it from my H store when it first came out and for some reason only came around to testing it late this summer. I have been enjoying it here and there trying to figure out if it truly was full bottle worthy for me. I really like vanilla fragrances but wow am I ever picky with them... VG was definitely on the yay list for me. It is rare that you will find a vanilla centered fragrance that isn't mainly or overly sweet. I'm also a HUGE fan of Ylang Ylang and my nose seems to pick up on this intoxicating flower in the mixture. In my opinion Ellena had hit the mark of perfection where it was such a beautiful, clean, light vanilla that didn't evoke any gourmand images but still managed to offer that welcome, soothing, comforting feeling that vanilla excels at. Light enough to be worn on a hot summer day and have you sniffing away at yourself in sunny bliss. The verdict was YES!

Two days ago I went into my H store in the hopes they had received Epice Marine as I had yet to sample it. Sadly they hadn't.... Anyhow, I asked the SA if I could please have a vial of Vanille Galante as my last vial had but a few drops left and a bottle of VG was pretty far on the horizon for the time being (I had a nice Lutens shopping spree the week prior hehe...).

This morning, I decide to dab some VG on my left wrist before sitting down to enjoy my breakfast. To my great horror it smelled like fish what the...? I run back to my H vials as I couldn't remember if I had used the vial I had picked up a few days prior or my old one. As I suspected, I had indeed used the new one and so I immediately dabbed some juice from the old vial on my right wrist. Whew! No fish smell. What does this mean? Bad batch? Has it turned? I don't know... 2 hours in the left wrist still wreaks of fish, but now, because I smelt the dreaded fishy version of VG, I think I kinda sorta pick up on a slight fishiness from my right wrist as well... It's very mild and fleeting - but I'm pretty sure it's there... Is this just a byproduct of olfactory memory? Could it be because the weather and humidity has dropped here? Or has it been there all along and I just wasn't picking up on it because it was so mild in the old vial?

Update Oct 30th 2013:

So I decided to take the plunge and buy a full buttle of Vanille Galante. I am soooooo happy I moved forward with this purchase. After performing a few more tests with the "fishy vial" in question, it definitely seemed to point towards that specific tester having issues. Which is quite unfortunate as it seems there are a few of those turned vials in circulation based on other reviews of VG. So basically, if you've tried VG and it smelled fishy to you, I strongly suggest you give it another try from a different source.

As I type this I'm wearing VG and it is so special! As I mentioned earlier, VG is beautifully complimented by ylang ylang - to my nose at least. The vanilla and ylang dance together in such beautiful symbiosis and the wood and spice give it its unisex twist. Sweet and light, yet slightly warm and spicy. Perfectly balanced. I cannot wait to properly experience VG in the summer time. Wears close to the skin with good longevity. The classiest vanilla I've ever had the pleasure of smelling. Every single time I spray this beauty it never fails to raise my good mood ratio a couple of notches!! :)

jhitt793
jhitt793

Jean-Claude Ellena has chosen to feature vanilla's upper registry in his transcendent and ethereal Vanille Galante. Here it is vanilla's cloud-like texture which is on display; much like spun sugar, or fluffy creme brûlée. This is however, not your typical gourmand rendering, choosing to be more floral and less "foody". Ellena has included an indolic white floral accord (most likely white lily) which balances nicely with the creamy facets of vanilla. Cognac offers sweetness and depth, while a mysterious wood note (possibly guaiac wood) lends a warm undercurrent. Alongside Creed's "Sublime Vanille", this is another beautiful creation paying homage to vanilla's exotic sensuality. (103)

Roge'
Roge'

I'm not gonna waste anytime stating my displeasure. This fragrance is full of sweets, woods, and vanilla but this is far from a gourmand. This is a flowery vanilla, not the edible kind...that pretty much sums up my beef. Initial gripes aside, this actually lasts a long time. It's very wearable and light in nature. I definitely wouldn't blind buy this due to one's personal vanilla preference.

nooory
nooory

This is by far the greenest, saltiest sweet scent i have eve experienced.

I don't have an actual review with the breakdown of all the notes during the marvelous olfactory experience, but this is how it makes me feel... keeping in mind that it's not something you would wanna wear in winter, nor an evening out for that matter.

This is like sunshine, on a beach, that's surrounded by palm trees, next to a vanilla field (i know this is realistic, but neither does Vanille Galante!)

If boat rides, fruity cocktails and white bikinis to be put in a bottle and sprayed, they would be Vanille Galante.

LouisaWhite
LouisaWhite

This is basically the love child of Jour d'Hermes and Uncle Serge's Bois de Vanille.

Hélio Sérgio Rocha
Hélio Sérgio Rocha

Hermès Hermessence - Vanille Galante

Ohhh My God - What a delicious opening!!! The floral note of Ylang gives me an impression of my skin being a dish of banana flambé au cognac dessert with honeyed topping!!! Hummmm... Yummy!

White sweety floral notes come and i can detect for sure Lily - which gives me peace and, luxury and comfortable wear - particular of this note

I am tired of some ordinary openings i see on many many scents - and this one makes the different - here i feel mesmerized and mouth-watered in front of this beautiful and distinct perfume!

Yes, i know it is a little bit linear, however it is well made for sure. The previous written step now gives place to a different phase which vanilla note appears on background.

Vanilla here is not powdery but sweety and floral. Vanilla is not a main note here, unlike we could expect from its name "Vanille Galante", but it makes the difference. The detail makes the diference! Like a cherry on the Pie!

One of the best Ellena's creations! Yeah, it is quite luminous, simple, minimalistic, But also fabulous, delicious and luxurious!

LOVE!
(♥)

sidewalks
sidewalks

The Hermessence line are supposed to be haikus. It's simple, it's light, and absolutely gorgeous. I love love love this fragrance. I wish it was a bit stronger because this feels like an eau de cologne (with and eau de parfum price). It's lily in salty water and just stunning. Full-bottle worthy.

scandi
scandi

This is my favourite Hermes (and JC Ellena) perfume. It has a very reassuring and calming effect on me, so much so that I always bring a small bottle from the 4 pack set to sniff when I have to fly somewhere. Needless to say I hate flying but this is the perfect antidote! While it does have a prominent vanilla note it is never cloying or overbearing like other vanillas I've tried. It is very bright and clean. Like previous reviwer wrote, I also get a vision of real vanillapod seeds in a glass jar. A simply cut crystal glass with lots of cold bubbly water, early morning in a dewy spring garden where the grass and flowers have just started to grow. I love it. Any season, any time of day.

Smelly beast
Smelly beast

Vanille Galante is not about vanilla as the name suggests, its all about ylang. JCE managed to create a beautiful floriental that is almost a lilly soliflore. The scent is very light, transparent and refreshing at the same time, something very Ellena and reminiscent of his Un Jardin line.

Vanille Galante is very linear, all I get is Ylang and a very refined vanilla base. Muscs give a slight velvety texture to the fragrance and there's a greenish aquatic vibe that I suspect could be jasmine. What also comes to my mind is orchids, not as dark as the ones you find in Tom Ford creations like Nu edp, but a white orchid, a vanilla flower. I get a similar orchid effect here as on Nu edp but without the chocolate note and incense.

A lot of people say that this is the most feminine creation of the Hermessence line but I disagree I find it very unisex, specially if you like lily. And its also very easy to wear, cause its light and stays close to the skin, its a personal scent. I usually spray it in the interior of my shirt so I keep smelling it trough the hole day.

The composition is so etherial that it reminds me modern aldehydic florals like Nº5 Eau Premier and Iris Poudre, not that they re similar but they share lightness and elegance, they are very bright and clean, just incredibly sophisticated. My favorite from this whole line!

rate 4 ou of 5

Albin
Albin

Beautifully natural vanilla with a floral halo.

(Does it smell like fish?! I really don't know what are you talking about.)

almondbreakfast
almondbreakfast

Scroll down to the bottom and find "honeypoppyseed"... I agree with her review on this.

I went to Hermes boutique earlier and tried this. This is one of the best vanilla scents I have ever tried. Guerlain's Double Vanille? Pass. Dyptique Eau Duelle? Pass. I haven't been a big fan of Hermes but I must admit this is a masterpiece. Rich, Woody, Deep, Round, Warm and Classy.

I can't understand why it's said to be similar to fish. If it is, then it must be a gourmet fish that smells so great. Sorry, I don't smell fish at all. I would call it "Gourmand & Woody." There's one fragrance that is totally fishy, Marina de Bourbon's Acqua di Acqua Pour Homme. That is, Salty Fish.

It's been 6 hours since I tried Vanille Galante, and I can still smell it on my skin. Projection is moderate. But I think a good fragrance doesn't have to project loudly, it's just the wearer's privilege.

-Hermessence Vanille Galante-
Elegance: 5/5
Classiness: 5/5
Versatility: 4/5
Price: 3/5

And no fish. Thankyouverymuch Hermes.

-Mr. Almond-

AddictedToLife
AddictedToLife

To me it smells like fish too! Rotten fish! I thought it would be a nice sweet vanilla base scent, but it was a huge dissapointment! I could smell fish right after i aplied it on my skin, gave it to my husband and it smells the same on him, i thought maybe it was spoiled, but other reviewer also said it smells like fish

Adiro
Adiro

I am sorry to say this, and you all can vote me off, but on me VG smells like fish ( live fish) and salty water, with a light vanilla breeze on top. It is light, unpleasant and downright shocking with the unexpected fish smell, sorry. Luckily I sampled before commiting, would have been one of my biggest blind mistakes....

fragsforyou
fragsforyou

This is very floraly and very little vanilla, to my nose.

evilspin
evilspin

Out of all the Hermessence collection. this is my least favorite. Not because its Vanilla, i dont dislike vanilla. But my least fav because it smells just that, vanilla. I was hoping Hermes Vanilla would be complex and the best vanilla ever. But it just smells like everyother vanilla fragrance. And for the price...I'd rather spend it on my fav from the collection. Vetiver Tonka, Ambre Narguile, Santal M & Poivre Sarmaconde.

Like many others, I was somewhat unpleasantly surprised by Hermès Hermessence VANILLE GALANTE upon initial application. It smelled like rank or "off" vanilla. I could not pinpoint the problem and consoled myself with the news that this relatively expensive fragrance would definitely not be going on my wishlist.

As the fragrance developed and dried down, however, I came to terms with the fact that this is not really a vanilla perfume. It's more like an orchid perfume embellished with ylang-ylang, as bizarre as that may sound. Others detect rotting banana peels or melons, so I guess that I am lucky, in the end!

Still not on my wishlist, however, even after this radical reconceptualization.

leeyah87
leeyah87

On me, this smells like a combination of banana peels + lilies + smoked wood. A little too odd for my liking.

id
id

Nice but too light. It is more floral aquatic for my nose than oriental vanilla. I don't think this scent is unique or original. And the lasting power could be better. Forgettable fragrance.

ducktuck
ducktuck

On me this smells just like the jasmine blossoms where I lived in Big Sur. I don't smell any vanilla. My mom however smelled nothing but vanilla. It's very nice, soft and spring/summer appropriate.
Stays close to the skin and lasts a few hours.

scentedrat
scentedrat

This is a very pretty vanilla on me, although I don't get a whole lot else from it. It is soft, light, sweet without being foody, and very wearable although it didn't last more than about an hour. I get just a hint of the powdery flowers and gentle spices, without actually being able to smell them. They just add a certain texture to the vanilla. I really liked it, but not enough to actually get a bottle. However, I liked it better than Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanilla, which to me was just plain vanilla with no character. VG stays very vanilla, but there are scents happening under the surface that keep it interesting.

bogsc
bogsc

For me, this one turned out to be ripe bananas that simply would not go away until scrubbed off!

George K.
George K.

A sensuous vanilla murmuring gently all its depth with an unexpected lightness.Ylang-ylang,nuances of spices,sweet tender wood and sandalwood.

glamazoid
glamazoid

One of my treasure scent, i just hope it stay longer, it blend too well with my skin in the end. Discreet is the word.

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

My first thought upon applying this fragrance to my skin is that it IS boring like some of the reviews here say-yes indeed-green bamboo and melon and another simple fluid sweet vanilla...."Another vanille, another "galante"..."

Second thought: "Hmmm. A gentle pretty floral and what a well-done natural vanilla-all at once!"

I love a little bit of everything--I like a well-done heavy Oriental and a well-done fresh light floral or citrus alike.

This is a beautiful light floral and vanilla (even if just flower) all at once-not foodie even if sweet and melony. I don't feel compelled to save up for a bottle, it's not edgy or surprising in a compositional sense, as an Hermessence, an expensive and rather straightforward fragrance-but I can't imagine this failing on your skin, if these notes work for you-and if you aren't disgusted by the terms "fresh" and "light" you might be just as relaxed and invigorated as I am, you too might find the beauty of Vanille Galante with great ease. You could be bored by Vanilla Galante, but you could also stop, sigh and be soothed by it.

Taxidermy
Taxidermy

Stop bashing VG for not being interesting only because it is not another loud vanilla perfume. I'd say it's quite a unique and well balanced fragrance, which masterly combines three very different scents (melon, orange lily and vanilla) into one beautiful aroma and yet stays miscellaneous.
Finally, a little gemstone for floral lovers.

guest_sr
guest_sr

I can be a fan of vanilla scents if they aren't too fake smelling or too sweet. I used to have this french vanilla perfume that I just adored but this particular scent does nothing for me. It is forgettable and in my opinion, not even very "vanilla scented". I feel that this perfume would be suited better for someone a bit more mature.

I would forget this one.

F_A
F_A

Vanille galante smells of vanilla flower, not the vanilla spice we put into the cakes.

The scent is very light floral. It is truly not oriental vanilla. In the top notes I can smell green bamboo, then some watery melon and flower notes come into play. The base is also very very light.

I would suggest this fragrance for people who like fresh and light flowery fragrances. As for me, this scent is boring...

eskarina62
eskarina62

To me Hermessence Vanille Galante came as a surprise-I got it as a gift with an Hermes scarf I bought and almost instantly was taken back to childhood and innocence.
It feels definitely feminine to me-unisex, in my opinion does not apply to it.
Vanilla has a softer presence in it-if I didn't know it was the only ingredient, I would say there are traces of spring wild flowers and some cherry blossom in it.
It is definitely richer than the mono-expectation of vanilla.
The only downside is that it doesn't last long...
Just like childhood.

ferrari
ferrari

Sweet overripe melon. Melon and nothing more. Nice sandalwood notes in base, but where almost no odor.

Smauglius
Smauglius

I can't believe it. What dissapointment... Sharp lilly, rough carnation, ephemeral vanilla at the very end of the base, just before fading away ... Nothing I expected of a gallant vanilla.
I feel really sad.

guest_Vera

From the first moment when I smell I fall in love !!!
It`s a magical fragance...so rich and tender..but also resist many hours in the skin !!!
Vanille Galante makes me happy !
It´s like a golden drops from heaven!!! I recommended

guest_Vera

It´s a fantastical fragance !!!
So gorgeus an glamorous.
It´s was a love in a first time!!!

honeypoppyseed
honeypoppyseed

Although the fragrance notes say its purely vanilla, it doesn't smell like it is. There is some spice and floral (honeysuckle or lily maybe?).

This plays in to the whole niche perfume category, and just as I would recommend that one invest in a floral and amber/musk that they love in order to alter, warm, lighten, brighten up any fragrance they own, I similarly believe one needs a vanilla. This is the one. It's deep. It's thick. it's rich. It's like the finest treated leather. It's like a fur throw.

My mother turned me on to this fragrance and it's beautiful on its own for a young woman through until her golden years (my grandmother is also a huge fan). It's great on it's own, and great to mix. It's strong, it's warm. It's very comforting. I feel at peace and serene when I wrap myself in this.

What Hermes managed to do for the orange, is what it is doing here for vanilla.

Hermessence Vanille Galante by Hermes 3.67 out of 5 based on 209 ratings and 44 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Hermes Hermessence Vanille Galante fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Hermes Hermessence Vanille Galante, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Hermessence Vanille Galante by Hermes. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Hermessence Vanille Galante by Hermes represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.