Designers » F-H » Woody Chypre « Groups

Hermessence Vetiver Tonka Hermes for women and men
dislike

tobacco
Hermessence Vetiver Tonka Hermes for women and men Pictures

Created in 2004 by Jean-Claude Ellena, Hermessence is a collection of unique fragrances conceived as olfactory poems using perfuming’s most exclusive elements. As sober and intense as Japanese haiku, they reinvent a nature that is as precious as it is unusual, as if rendered by the inspired writing of a composer in search of the new.

Enriched each time the perfumer discovers a new country, a language, a culture or simply extraordinary new ingredients, as of today the line consists of eight fragrances, exclusively available in Hermès stores.

Vétiver Tonka: powerful vetiver, smoothed out by velvety hazelnut. A hint of praline is mixed with the sweetness of Tonka beans to soften the earthy, rough effect of the roots. “A tender vetiver, enveloping and warm…”

vetyver Sandalwood Tonka Bean Tobacco Lily-of-the-Valley Hazelnut Praline Caramel

Bal d'Afrique

sharmap14

spicy sweet fresh.. different .. i kinda like it :P

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

Vetiver tonka is simply amazing. Different from any other vetiver you have tried. It opens with smoky grassy traditional vetiver and then a little something almost sour - I believe it's the muguet in an indolic mode- comes in. A few minutes later the sharpness of the vetiver is covered in creamy praline caramel, smelling almost like burnt toast with caramel sauce.

This part of the development is not my favorite- it's a bit "funky," at least it was on my skin. But the burnt vibe fades and some pretty tobacco and nutty notes come out to join and temper the sweetness a bit. The drydown is a beautiful smoky vetiver that is creamy and sweet at the same time. It seems like it would never work, this combination, but it is divine. This is a must try for every perfumista and for anyone who likes thinking "outside the box." This is outside the stratosphere but in a beautiful other worldly way.

For a truly amazing combination, try Iris Ukiyoe on your arms and Vetiver Tonka on the backs of your hands. You would think they would clash, but there is some of that Jean-Claude Ellena magic in both of them that makes this a true feast for the senses.

Travis453
Travis453

Starts out with a smooth rich vetiver and then it instantly caramelizes over and the tonka notes make their appearance. Truly an amazing frag. Very different, very long lasting, very present (not overpowering at all), and simply amazing.

It's worth every penny.

henri345que
henri345que

This seems to me one of the most distinct Ellena fragrances, one that doesn't remind me any of the other ones he has produced so far. Altough i may notice the tonka, for me this is all about the vetiver and a minimalist gourmand aura that covers it. I think that Ellena here achieves a similar effect that the one used by Parfumerie Generale in Aomassai, but in different intensity and with different aromas, the effect of woods and something nutty and sweet being toasted. It's one of the best Hermessences in terms of projection and longevity on my skin.

Bab
Bab

Absolutely gorgeous. If you want a vetiver/gourmand scent that lasts but doesn't overpower your presence, this is for you. Not vetiver like Sycamore or Encre Noir, but muted beautifully by the marriage with the gourmand notes. I found the tobacco note perfect as well. Just there, peaking over the fence, not overwrought like so many vetiver and tobacco fragrances.
As someone else said, warm and calm. What could be better in Winter......

Kanarata
Kanarata

I am not a huge fan of Jean Claude Ellen as I like to be able to smell my frags and his creations are much too subtle to my nose, but I must admit this one is special.
I absolutely love wearing this one to work as is quite light and very pleasing on the nose, yet rich enough to give me 5-8 hrs performance wise every wear.
Every time I put this one on It really gives me something different sometimes is heavy tobacco, sometimes is the fresh Vetiver and sometimes the edible sweetness and creamy opening that I can hardly detect the Vetiver, it has many faces.The projection is moderate, but I think it was designed that way on purpose, it is not a work horse. Instead it offers incredible quality of natural ingredient and does not at all smell synthetic, a true gem!
If you are NOT the avarage perfume wearer ( consumer) you would like that one in your collection for sure.

Smell 10/10
Projection 6/10
Longevity 8/10
Overall 8.5/10

A must try (buy)

Michael1962
Michael1962

A warm and almost gourmand vetiver fragrance with the addition of praline and hazelnut.Not quite the earthy and robust vetiver found in Dior Private Collections Vetiver,more a caramelised and ever so slightly muted version.
Very elegant indeed and well suited for all seasons.
Well composed and thorough frag from Ellena.The scent pyramid includes lily and tobacco as notes but they have a minor non speaking role in this play for mine.
Average staying power and projection but worth sniffing out if you are into classy vetiver fragrances.
Just a shame it doesnt last the distance to justify the price.

jhitt793
jhitt793

A unique and interesting take on vetiver's earthy and rustic qualities. Jean-Claude Ellena expertly pairs it with the gourmand notes of hazelnut; an interesting juxtaposition between the verdant/vegetal qualities of vetiver with the warm, roasted aroma of hazelnut. Coumaric tonka bean offers a slight hay-like scent as well as a vanilla overtone. Unlike the usual vetiver fragrance, this is not dry but instead imbues a creamy tonality likely thanks impart to the addition of tonka bean as well as sandalwood. In the opening I notice a very subtle, albeit brief hint of muguet which here seems more lemony and less floral. This is a reassuring scent; comforting without becoming cloying. (104)

ateghipc
ateghipc

This is incredibly fresh vetiver and a dash of nutty hazelnut to me. Blind bought expecting something close to gourmand but found a great summer scent! I can see this being a great signature scent, and it's very clean. The drydown introduces the slightest bit of tonka and mutes the vetiver a tad. The sandalwood joins in a bit more pungently here as well. It's still fresh throughout though. Very versatile scent. Not getting the dirty aspects some reviewers mentioned other than in the first 15 minutes or so when the hazlenut joins in with very strong vetiver. The hazlenut here is not sweet, rather nutty and earthy so it does a fantastic job complimenting the fresh vetiver.

The projection and longevity(8 hrs) is pretty good on me. This is vetiver through and through, so sample first if you do not enjoy the note. Otherwise, I think it's the easiest vetiver to wear so you can't really go wrong with this one. You can definitely smell the quality in this one. Classic hermessence.

BlueMoon
BlueMoon

I'M IN A FILM NOIR…

And In walks a dark and handsome man with a bit of a an elegant swagger wearing a custom made suit. A lit cigarette dangles from his sensual lips. He gives a slight, yet mysterious nod to the maitre D'.

Ah, of course. He's wearing Hermessence Vetiver Tonka.

Kain
Kain

A very different type of vetiver based fragrance or actually I prefer calling it a fragrance with vetiver in it!
If you're looking for a vetiver dominated fragrance go somewhere else because you can't find it here!
The opening is warm and sweet tonka bean scent with slight dirty and smoky aroma.
That dirty and smoky smell definitely is not from vetiver. it's from tobacco but it doesn't smell like a strong tobacco note either! it's there to give the scent just a smoky and dirty feeling!
The sweetness is strong with caramel smell in it.
In the dry down that dirty smoky smell almost faded away completely and now you can smell vetiver note beside that sweet tonka bean caramely smell.
The vetiver note does not have that wild and earthy smell.
It's there and you can smell it but because of the strong tonka and caramel combo it's muted!
In the base you have the mid smell with slight changes.
You can smell some soapy aroma too. not too much but it's there and I can feel it.
Projection is above average but longevity is average to poor on my skin.
It's very simple and linear and it doesn't worth the price in my opinion.
I'm happy with my sample because it's something new to my nose but when I'm done with my sample, I will forget it easily.
یه عطر که خیلی مشتاق بودم تست اش کنم و خوشبختانه تونستم تستس هم کنم اما به هیچ وجه چیز خیلی خاص یا متفاوتی نیست
البته معمولی و عامیانه هم نیست ولی خیلی هم خاص نیست
رایحه اولیه بوی شیرین و کاراملی مانندی هست که یه ته بوی تلخ و دودی داره
این ته بوی تلخ و دودی به خاطر رایحه تنباکو هست ولی بوی تنباکو اینقدری قوی نیست که به راحتی به مشام برسه
فقط در حدی هست که یه ته بوی تلخ و سنگین به عطر بده
با گذر زمان رایحه تنباکو تا حد خیلی زیادی از بین میره و شما اون بوی شیرین و کاراملی رو میتونین حس کنین که رایحه ملایم و مشخصی از ویتور باهاش ترکیب شده
رایحه وتیور ضعیفه و در مقابل رایحه شیرین و کارامل حرفی برای گفتن نداره
در رایحه پایه بوی عطر تغییر چندانی نمیکنه فقط یه جزئی ته بوی صابونی پیدا میکنه
پخش بوش نسبتا خوبه اما ماندگاری متوسط رو به ضعیف داره
به نظر من بوی کمی متفاوت ولی خیلی ساده و یکنواختی داره و اصلا ارزش قیمت فضایی شو نداره

dmoman
dmoman

Bit sweet and nutty with that somewhat rough smokey vetiver note. It's a unusual take on a vetiver fragrance but it smells nice. It's not very fresh imo but quality is definitely there...so if you want a fresh vetiver there are thousands of vetivers to pick before you look at this but its unique. It was average to below average on longevity and projection which is disappointing.Scent is good.

Jillmcshaw1
Jillmcshaw1

I'm never sure where I stand with vetiver. I love it, I hate it, it's a great supporting note but do I like it as a main note? Sycamore and I keep going rounds, it's cold and vegetative or it's warm and woodsy. So I thought I would give Vetiver Tonka a try. Initially a very fresh vetiver with a warm tonka fragrance. Then from somewhere a sweet plum fruit note. I found that I was not the only one to smell this after reading Victoria's review at BDJ. The only fragrance I know this plum note from is BS Midnight fantasy, so don't think I insult when comparing the two. A close to skin scent that creates a warm welcome to vetiver, with creamy tonka and warm wheat and floating notes of fruit. I am happy to have tried this as it is a beautiful use of vetiver, but I think I like my vetiver a little dirtier with more smoke. I do find the warmth of Vetiver Tonka to be a very comforting scent perfect before a night in, or a great scent to relax with.

Roge'
Roge'

A lot of times my friends asks, "Why do you spend so much money on these fragrances"? My reply is simple. It's because they create concoctions such as the Hermessence line. Vetiver Tonka wasn't designed for the casual fragrance wearer. It was made for the individual that's unconventional without being weird. It's hard for me to sit here and tell you if you would like this or not. It really depends on who's reading this. Go to the Hermes boutique and check it out for yourself. As for me, it's a winner.

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

This smells very strange to me in that the vetiver note is coupled with Tonka, tobacco and other sweet notes.

I get a slightly creamy & sweet nutty aroma that projects off my skin mixed in with the vetiver note whilst wearing this scent. There is a slight sour note that I'm picking up and the fragrance smells like nail polish remover to me that has been sweetened.

I'm not really liking this scent the vetiver and Tonka sweet notes just do not seem to go together naturally. Projection and longevity are just average on my skin.

dudelove
dudelove

Vetiver Tonka starts off very woody and slightly smoky (think of a way better Aventus smoky vibe). And I got a very very slight hint of citrus, which reminded me of TdH. Pretty nice opening. But the magic really happens once the sweetness and nuttiness comes in. I didn't get much tonka like the name implies but I did get this roasted nuts smell with a bit of sweetness. Not too sweet, which is perfect for my taste. I love it because it's sexy, sophisticated, and very classy. It's masculine and it fits my personality. Lasts a good 8hrs on my skin.

A vetiver masterpiece from Jean-Claude Ellena.

Bbjr
Bbjr

An absolutely glorious vetiver. Vetiver extraordinaire by Malle has always been my favorite followed by les nombres d'or. This is now #1. A gem by Hermes

mendwillie
mendwillie

This is wonderful.
This collection is amazing Hermessence, Jean-Claude Ellena do well knew their fragrances. It is very similar to Bal D'Afrique say they are almost twin sisters, just think Vetiver Tonka is thicker in vetiver, but less than the projection Byredo.
But just a Great Perfume that is worth having in your collection.

I classify it thus:

Smell: 1000/10
Projection: 9/10

supergirl83221
supergirl83221

A stunning and unique fragrance from Hermes. It opens with very prominent Vetiver and Tonka bean notes. There is a light veil of roasted nuttiness surrounding around the two notes. It later introduces the tobacco which intensifies as the frag develops. The tobacco blends perfectly well in yielding this woody, smooth and gourmand ambience which just beautiful... The sweetness is half-baked but i like that it is not actually sweet but it leaves you hanging later for you to enjoy the other notes. Rate: 4.5/5

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

Wow, is this vetiver note ever realistic. I believe the last time I ever smelled such a great vetiver was... well, it was in... Terre!

This might well be the vetiver I've been looking for my entire life.... but I still have to experience Guerlain's vetiver for women... anyone can help me with this? :)

Not overly sweet and woodsy as in Encre noir or manly and orangey as in Terre, this one seems to have a dualistic nature. I can smell the sharp pungent almost acrid vetiver note floating ATOP of a warmed up tobacco and tonka combo with a soft, nutty and sweet sandalwood finish.... but somewhat, these notes also seem to be sitting next to each other instead of working as a pyramid. So strange!! All the notes standing as individuals instead of flowing together. They all peak and then go soft again, the scent being different ever time I take a sniff! It has that Hermes signature and for the weirdest reason, I almost feel like I can smell their signature "pamplemousse" note in the very opening, but of course, it contains no grapefruit!! Must be an association my brain is making!

I love love this and I am looking forward to sharing it with my BF. A unisex beauty of a perfume, like a unisex soft Terre. I've always wanted to wear Terre but it's way too strong for my little nose...
Bravo Ellena, bravo!

BOTH my Vetiver tonka and Iris Ukiyoe fell on the floor recently and got smashed to pieces. Ouch. I'm looking for more of VT.

muffe
muffe

Went from loving it to hating it. Made me sick, had to leave work earlier to go home and shower. It is overpowering with tobbaco. Anything more than one spray is dangerous.

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

What about one of the best existing vetivers? Create a creamy vetiver is not for anyone, had to be the wise teacher Ellena.
Vetiver giving the woody touch with earthy mineral scent across, fava with the fitness of sweet spice vanillic , tobacco behind, blurring precisely this elixir that gets to have a vibe of roasted coffee in my nose, superb!

pisces3774
pisces3774

Sort of an odd opening. Definitely vetiver and Tonka right away, the Tonka smells like a roasted vanilla bean, not sweet dessert-like vanilla. The vetiver gets a little bit too reminiscent of nail varnish remover. Not sure I like this on me, but it has potential for the husband.

arbiterpdx
arbiterpdx

The only reason I don't wear this 24/7 is that it's pricey and I save it for a treat. Incredible. dry and warm and sexy all at the same time
NOTHING but compliments when I'm wearing this, I fear I have to buy another bottle sooner than I expected and the damned exchange rate sucks on imported items like this.... but well worth it

Pegasus
Pegasus

Vetiver Tonka is probably the best of the Hermessence line and one of my favorite Hermes fragrances.

Vetiver is not an easy note to like for many people, here, it is delicately sweetened with a refined Tonka note making it a high quality, really sexy and warm scent with a very subtle and nice tobacco note in the background, absolutely delicious.

Longevity is good, projection could be better, scent is amazing.

Just another Jean Claude Ellena win!

AddictedToLife
AddictedToLife

O i love it sooo much, it is not my type of fragrance, but im in love with this, it is so unusual and sexy

dito
dito

Interesting fragrance. It smells green/earthy and gourmand at the same time. At the begining tonka and tobacco notes are quite pronounced which gives a darker aspect but after a while scent becomes creamy gourmand (reminds me a little bit of nutella). It really reminds Bal d'Afrique and Vetiver Fatal but this one has bolder and brigter character than previous two. Great longevity and moderate sillage.
One of the best 10/10.

Annica
Annica

This is lovely beyond words. My decant is almost finished and it´s going to be hard to find another one I guess. Woody- gourmand treasure. Unique!

elusivek
elusivek

I purchased this based on all the reviews and was excited to try it but when I first sprayed it what I got was wave of synthetic/plastic which is odd since these scents are based off essential oils I thought.
I figured that was just the initial spritz and once it melded with my chemisty then it would show its true self.
However, what I ended out with once my body chemistry mixed with this scent was...Dawn dish detergent (the original formulation)! I kid you not!! It's the most bizarre thing. I can't even articulate because all I can smell is Dawn.
I do not detect anything that smells remotely like vetyver, tonka, tobacco, praline, or hazelnut. The closest I get to any of the described notes is a faint, faraway floral that doesn't resemble anything I've ever smelled irl.
Is it perhaps a compromised bottle? How else could it be so far off from anything anyone else has experienced with this perfume?
For anyone this works on, it lasts 10+ hours

mippymuppett
mippymuppett

Very unusual. For women I think this would be best for fall and winter. For men, so so sexy!!! I agree with someone else who said this is a cozy scent. I can smell just a hint of the tobacco right away. It's just so unusual!! I couldn't see grabbing this every day but it will be nice to have in my mix. If you are looking for something different give this a try!!!

eli.bellz
eli.bellz

Ok so I received three bottles of this as a gift and I have fallen in LOVE! I don't know why, but it reminds me of truffles on a fall day. Maybe too feminine for a man, but perfect for a woman. It's very calm and earthy. THe woody fragrance is simply amazing. I am used this at a dance, and I got so many compliments! Wonderful. SImply wonderful. Also gives me a very strong and independent feel, but it can also give a very warm, cuddly vibe. I love this so much, I don't know what to say!

Loobloo
Loobloo

This is very pleasant, and my husband says he can still smell it 3 hours after I applied the entire 1/2 ml sample vial. Yet, to me, it is much too subtle. I won't be going for the full bottle.

freddiefingers
freddiefingers

If you cant afford this,do yourself a favour and grab Collezione Privata Viaggio d`Africa Pal Zileri for half the price as they are practically the same smell.you will be left with a huge sense of waste when you buy both hoping for a significantly different experience.the vetiver in this is slightly more prominent while the tonka features more in Viaggio.I can only tell them apart from the top notes.Viaggio has that burnt smell and that's it.In the dry down,VT just slightly edges Viaggio with the vetiver.
Both last long on my skin and smell rich.

You will have to be a huge Hermes fan or be really loaded to want this when you can get Viaggio .they are both that similar

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

An understated fragrance that smells exactly as the name implies, like vetiver and tonka. It’s a light, sweet, grassy-woody, slightly powdery scent with hints of violet, fruit and spice, but never departing significantly from the vetiver main theme.

As it dries down it strengthens a bit, although it is never more than a low stage whisper. A slight tobacco leaf aroma joins the other players to produce a light veil of powdery, gourmand vetiver, and the whole stays quietly linear for 5-6 hours, gradually fading away.

V-T is an easy, comfortable scent to wear, with just enough presence to make itself known, but not strong enough to intrude into the space of others, at least not in an obvious way.

finzi
finzi

My heart skips a beat every time I catch a whiff of this! It's that sweet, slightly salty tonka that does it. I get exactly the same feeling from Byredo's Bal D'Afrique, but Vetiver Tonka is smokier, heavier, stronger... I feel aroused and seduced! The unisex ambiguity is provoking and challenging, but in a gooooooood way.

One spritz on my wrist lasted ALL DAY which I think is amazing considering that this is an EDT. Lasts longer and has much better projection than many EDPs I've known. In fact, if I wear more than a couple of spritzes it can bring on a headache, which tends to happen to me with heavy vanilla- or tonka-based fragrances.

Sublime, I love it. I'd wear it all the time if my man were a little more enthusiastic about it!

Sweet vetiver is not that common in my experience of perfumes, but Hermès offers precisely that in Hermessence VETIVER TONKA. Intially, I was unsure what I thought about this combination of tonka, nuts, and vetiver, which seems more oriental than chypre (though not quite gourmand). I do think that the habit of smelling savory or woody or green or salty vetiver, is just that: a habit.

Still, I suspect that I am not alone in tending to associate the smell of vetiver with aromatic men's colognes such as Lalique ENCRE NOIR. As a matter of fact, I kept thinking of the Lalique while wearing this composition, though their only overlap is the strong vetiver note.

I could definitely see developing a taste for this composition, but it would take a few more wears. At this point, I feel a bit as though someone sprinkled salt on top of a piece of hazelnut cake!

katebensley
katebensley

Read the down belows, have been smelling Vetiver Tonka for the last 3 hours--I don't think it is going anywhere soon--parts of it are and have gone perhaps. I love a good vetiver. I love vetiver straight up, I love vetiver shaken not stirred, I love vetiver with salt, I love vetiver with flowers, I love vetiver with smoke. I can't say I love Vetiver Tonka, as Ambrosia8 hit the nail on the head with "smells like vetiver flavoured crème brulée to me" --I'll add with a twist, and a zest of a clementine orange(it does sound wonderful), until the drydown, now it is a vetiver I love. Vetiver Tonka: orange crush soda pop cotten candy with lurking vetiver saltwater taffy waiting for the circus to leave, when it did there was peace, woods, and the quiet forsest floor. Fine I love Vetiver Tonka too.

iam2sexy4uris
iam2sexy4uris

This is a perfection in a bottle. It is just amazing, but the lasting power is not worth the price. On me it lasts a bit under an hour.

Mr. Doody
Mr. Doody

Absolutely fantastic scent! I won't re-tread the other reviews that address the notes nicely. I just simply wish that it had some longevity and any sillage at all! It's a stupendous concoction worthy of Jean Claude Ellena's legacy, but it just doesn't last or carry much - at least on my bod. For those of you concerned about a strong tobacco note - don't be - it's quite subtle IMO. GORGEOUS juice, Hermes. Kudos! Please figure out how to make it l a s t :-)

Heverton
Heverton

Vetiver Tonka is an amazing fragrance, that I can say for sure!

It opens up with a sensational vetiver note. Pure, earthy and resembling Encre Noire from Lalique (in a matter of fact this entirely fragrance seems to be a corpulent version of this designer fragrance).

After a couple of minutes, the tobacco note kicks in together with vetiver giving to this particular fragrance a slight smoky aspect.

Unfortunately the chocolate aspect of it it's not so evident on my skin, but this doesn't take away points from this wonderful fragrance.

ducktuck
ducktuck

WOW! Very nice. The tonka bean, and nuts really soften this, and make it far less green than your average vetiver. Very creamy,and musky but still earthy and lush. This would be fantastic on a man. Lasts forever and has great sillage.

id
id

Impressive. subtle, deep and sophisticated. Vetiver and nutmeg with a hint of tobacco creates a wonderful composition of the smell. Charming. It makes me smile.

Grottola
Grottola

Vetiver. Tonka. Together forever.

At first the tonka is stronger than the vetiver (with an anise note), and then the vetiver takes over during the drydown. The vetiver in this one is really nice, and has a smooth "nutty" aroma.

Good, quality, long-lasting stuff that actually kind of reminds me of Yohji Homme (of course not as smooth as Yohji). Would I buy a full bottle of this one? I dunno yet, but I definitely enjoy it.

bubbles
bubbles

This is absolute heaven in a bottle! I dont want to use it because I'm scared I will never get my hands on another bottle!The price is high,but its worth it! Anyone loving tobacco scents has to try this! :)

SPOILEDnose
SPOILEDnose

my all time favorite frag i guess, its not a frag actually, its more something between aroma therapy and medicine for the soul, its a masterpiece.

bookwyrmsmith
bookwyrmsmith

I like this but it feels like a Prada. 1/3 Prada Prada and 2/3 Infusion d'Iris.Very nice though for anyone .The price is a bit steep -I'll be on the lookout for a good deal.

Oslo-fjord
Oslo-fjord

I love this stuff! A creamy, classy vetiver perfect for most occasions and seasons. I`m Impressed of the Hermessence line!

Nice release from Hermes. In the opening I get exactly what the name of this fragrance says: Vetiver and Tonka Beans. In the drydown things get a little more complex with hints of chocolate (praline) and green notes. Even if they're not similar in the structure it reminded me of a mash-up version between a lighter Comme Des Garcons 2 Man without incense and a sweeter French Lover. A well executed light and minimal gourmandic vetiver. Maybe a bit overpriced.

Rating: 7-7.5/10

Lilyth
Lilyth

All Hermessence scents are like journey - you never know how it will be a hour later. The true pleasure, they are like opera between usual perfumes.

Ambrosia8
Ambrosia8

I really like this, mostly the top notes, smells like vetiver flavoured crème brulée to me, if such a thing existed! Still, i find it quite hard to wear, the bitter aspect comes off a little more than i'd like it to on me. nonetheless, a great perfume that i love to wear, just not for everyday use.

George K.
George K.

The strength of vetiver and smooth,mouth-watering hazelnut.Supple,sensual.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

Smelled wonderful in the sample vial, but oh dear! maybe my body chemistry but after the initial interesting coffee/nut/vetiver for 5 minutes, the bitterness came through and turned into a pungent, sweaty mess and I had to wash it off. I think it should be a masculine only.

midsummer
midsummer

WOW. This scent is stunning. It starts off as a very lush vetiver, which you'd expect to be paired with other woody green notes. . . but instead, this scent takes a totally unexpected turn into a sweet coffee note that lasts as a gentle, warm scent on the skin. It reminds me of a first date on a wintry afternoon - turtleneck sweaters and sipping hot latte's in a room with deep green walls. Very charming.

steen
steen

This one is at the top of my list. My mother gave me a sample and I fell in love immediately. Quite a few Hermes scents populate my collection, but Vetiver Tonka is always the leader. It's beautifully cool, a departure from the bulk of what I own (florals and sweeter fragrances).

sandrina_bambina
sandrina_bambina

Warm and calm, woodsy vetyver enriched with nougat-caramel-resin aromas, so delicate and perfect for my senses and sensibility. This composition is keeping balance of taste woody notes and bitter but gentle light chords. So simple, so natural but so good. I`m in love in this perfume:)

I oddly get almost no tonka at all. What I get is smooth, cool, woody vetiver start to finish. It's lovely and it's a touch masculine for what I normally wear, but I could wish for more tonka. How about ANY tonka. Sigh.

veruska
veruska

I remeber the first time i opened the sample vial,i found it nice, elegant but not extremely new.But now i wish i had the ability to spend the kind of money they ask because this is love.With a nicely judged sandalwood, the vanillic vetiver is bittersweet intelligent and melancholic like a Pina Bausch dance sequence with a surreal feeling.This is also a scent that gives me lot of good comments

Hermessence Vetiver Tonka by Hermes 4.36 out of 5 based on 443 ratings and 57 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Hermes Hermessence Vetiver Tonka fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Hermes Hermessence Vetiver Tonka, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Hermessence Vetiver Tonka by Hermes. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Hermessence Vetiver Tonka by Hermes represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.