Designers » F-H » Chypre Floral « Groups

Parfum d`Hermes Hermes for women
dislike

smoky
Parfum d`Hermes Hermes for women Pictures

Rouge Hermès: created by Akiko Kamei in 1984, the fragrance was known as Parfum d’Hermès. Reinterpreted in 2000 and renamed Rouge Hermès, the emblematic colour of the House, this semi-oriental floral amber is the very essence of sophistication. One easily recognises in its afternote, unforgettable for its richness as well as for the mastery of its composition, the mark of one of perfume’s all-time grand classics.

Aldehydes Galbanum Hiacynth Bergamot

iris Ylang-Ylang Bulgarian Rose Egyptian Jasmine

Spices Sandalwood Amber Vanilla Vetiver Incense Cedar Myrrh

Rouge Hermes

Parfum d`Hermes Fragrance Reviews

thediamondsea
thediamondsea

The notes don't tell you this, but in its day, Parfum d'Hermés was not a floral perfume, per se. This was a sassy little quasi-leather quasi-chypre that threw plenty of attitude when you broke it out.

I qualify the leather because it looks like Hermès doesn't officially acknowledge its presence in the pyramid; however, ylang, rose and certain balsams usually work together to create the scent we associate with leather perfumery, and PdH has those in spades. It's also worth pointing out that Hermés' most recent pillars marketed to women (Kelly Caléche and now Galop) both show roses and leather among their notes. But this was the first of Hermès' "feminine" leathers--rose, ylang and balsam. (Add birch tar and you're headed toward a classic cuir de Russie style leather).

I also qualify the chypre because PdH doesn't technically satisfy the criteria. You need bergamot to make a chypre, and here we have lime at the top. I can't remember for this life of me if I smelled lime in the original or not, but I do remember a bitter citrus peel and aldehyde opening that enhanced the strange almost-sweetness of the leather that followed, the way lime sweetens and enhances the taste of a gin-and-tonic.

This was bracing, but not unfriendly: I remember the citrus, and a complex saltiness that reminded me of the sea. The amber accord felt completely unsweetened. I don't remember the galbanum specificallym but I've learned since then that I love the dissonance it brings to balsamic perfumes--Dune being a great example of this. I thought then this smelled like bitter oranges, the very edge of marmalade; or maybe it smelled like leather, the way orange peel smells when it's left out to dry. I wasn't sure. That was because I bought this blind at the Hermès boutique at 24, Faubourg in Paris when I was 21 years old, and I wore it for years, and I had absolutely no idea that it was, perhaps, intended as a leather fragrance all along.

I still get that orangey smell from leather perfumes. Or maybe it's the ghost of florals past emerging from my leather goods. Somewhere between the living animal and the dead plant, or the dead animal and the living plant, lies this little streak of exquisite sweet bitterness that these old perfumes articulate better than anything. Why these smells are beautiful I do not know. But I know their weirdness speaks to me like nothing else can.

mymlan
mymlan

A classy fragrance, somehow waxy in it's texture in the opening. It reminds me a little of Chamade (Parfum de Toilette that I used to have) because of it's dense and slightly oily character. I smell mainly myrrh, an aromatic rose, a lot of ylang ylang and sandalwood. But as in all classic fragrances there is such a myriad of notes in here that together forms this elegant beauty. It is slightly oldfashioned and I wonder if I would wear it if I had a bottle? I think that I will stick with my samples of parfums d'Hermes and Rouge. At least until they both are finished.

Angela Agiannidou
Angela Agiannidou

Imagine, you are about to sleep with the man of your dreams and suddenly remember that not only you are wearing granny nickers but also forgot to shave your legs....you understand now my disappointment... I got this inspite the warning bells of high aldehydic note and hyacinth which I don't like. But the mere suggestion that it might be similar to my beloved Sacre blinded me to the obvious.
ALL I got was aldehydes and civet...but there isn't civet!!! Unless my little bottle is so old it grew furry things that bite! But this is Hermes and it deserved better than giving up at the first hurdle so I used my woolen cardi. Perfume there lasts longer, so I would be able to check every phase. Well, aldehydes and civet continued for very long. There is nothing wrong with aldehydes, the problem is that my nose picks it and is completely and utterly unable to smell anything else. Where is the myrrh, cedar, spices, vanilla??? Rose?????...you are jocking...After a day and a half the dreaded note faided and I got a very faint, sharper version of Sacre. Either the juice turned, or my skin and nose threw a strop, so many people have loved it.... Maybe warmer weather will bring its beauty out better, though I personally very much doubt.

silversimon
silversimon

Another wonderful but discontinued scent. Why are so many of my personal favorites gone and as difficult to find, for a price that doesn't break the bank, as hen's teeth?

I agree with the well written reviews posted here. It's fabulous.

Guess I'll have to give the "reinvent ed" version a whiff.

Walking Unicorn
Walking Unicorn

Vintage pure parfum: This is a warm, resinous, spicy rose and iris fragrance with a dash of powder. It stands out in a crowd being elegant and sophisticated yet it is also approachable at the same time. Such a gorgeous perfume and well worth the hunt.

cumulnimbus
cumulnimbus

Parfum d'Hermes is a lost treasure. I would love to have a full bottle of this one but it has become too difficult to find for a reasonable price. It deserves the admiration, it is a truly timeless beauty. The blend starts with a spectacular hyacinth plus green notes top, followed by a bright and powdery combination of classic flowers which lead to a warm smoky and resinous dry down supported by spicy sweet woody solid base. It is a chic classic, not too bold still distinct. Easy to wear on daytime, long lasting enough as perfumes of the era used to be. Just makes my heart ache that such a wonder disappeared forever.

Thank you so much dear Fanny for your kind generosity. I think of you every time I wear it.

Edit: :) I did it. I managed to find a bottle for a reasonable price and now it is here under my care.

alahoop
alahoop

smell Iris almost all the way through this one. Which is a good thing; I love iris. I get a lot of hyacinth in the opening, along with a bit of bergamot, and something that makes it sparkle. That might be the aldehydes.

The middle of this is gorgeous. Powdery, sweet iris. It always makes me think of candied violets, and reminds me of the smell of my Meteorites powder. If I had to compare it to something, I'd say it reminds me a bit of Givenchy Le De, although this one is more floral and that one is more powdery.

The drydown is nice too. I get a lot of incense, and a bit of amber. I agree with the reviewer who said that the top seems out of balance with the rest of the perfume. The top seems younger and fresher to me, but it's such a lovely scent overall that I don't mind.

Planet_X
Planet_X

D'Hermes was created in 1984 by Raymond Chaillan and Akiko Kamei.

Bursting by oily balsamic myrrh rose and hyacinth, aldehydes dipped in galbanum, obviously-older brother of Hermes Rouge, for most of people these two might seem to be the twins....Nevertheless
First and immediate reaction from that resinous myrrh in d'Hermes is Caron Sacre. While in Hermes Rouge you quite fascinated by Samsar-ish rich flowing sandal. Rouge dustier, louder, woodier, d'Hermes more rosy and incens-y
Also if to go for simples – Rouge is sweeter – parfum d'Hermes saltier from aldehydes and amber. That's if to bring d'Hermes to point of parallelism and to show what is different for those, who interested to know. I can't say which one I love more though, just happy to own both now.

brian.cloutier1
brian.cloutier1

Close to the all time classic fragrances of Chamade and Heure Exquise Annick Goutal... A vibe of later version of Chanel no. 19 and Silences .....

susiebashse.
susiebashse.

What a beautiful blind buy ...pure class from the first breath, now two hours later a soft carnation with a funky animalic undertone. Love it! ( vintage bottle of edt)

Odenir De Faria
Odenir De Faria

Of course Parfum d'Hermès deserves a better review, but for now, all I have to say is:

It is lovely, lovely, lovely!

It surpassed all my expectations.

pbluberry
pbluberry

I love it initially but then it ended up smelling like moth balls for some reason. I am very sad, it doesn't work well on my body chemistry. It's so beautiful until it hits my skin. So unfortunate...

Jellybean
Jellybean

Crisp, zesty citrus and aldehydes; strong at first but soon enough it's true beauty emerges. Kinda like this one. It's different. Roses with incense and myrrh are wrapped well together, giving smoky rose and resins aura that smells so good! The fragrance is a thing of beauty.
Long lasting and notch up heavy!

fanny
fanny

Love at fist whiff.
How I wish I had met this particular Hermes sooner.
A vivid scent which stands out in a crowd, never minding what time, nor age anyone is living in.

Classy, crisp, yet quite velvety, like a legendary beauty.

Edit 2nd of sept. '12
Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger is a relative

Miss_J
Miss_J

OMG! I'm surprised that this perfume doesn't get too many reviews!! I had the old bottle one...this perfume is the embodiment of feminine sophistication! It's a soft,powdery floral scent,although I did get the aldehyde,unlike caleche, it's a very subtle aldehyde and it blends really well with the jasmine and hyacinth notes. I love the classy vintage bottle. Staying power is excellent & sillage is good.I really want to repurchase but I'm still searching for the right price :D. If you like to smell classy,feminine & sophisticated,you should try Parfum D'hermes.

Mmmm!!!! I like this! So sophisticated and elegant! It smells like a true lady! Leather notes are very strong here. AFter a while all I smell is good leather and I'm not even a fan of leathery scents!
Many Hermes don't work well on my skin. They are beautiful fragrances but not always suitable to my chemistry. I could test Parfum d'Hermes in a old perfumery shop where they have all the big ones from the past and I was enchanted! I don't really see the difference between this one and Rouge which I also like.
This is warm, enveloping, ultra-class, full of nuances and very feminine. Nothing to do with latest flat scents. It could be a little difficult to sport around, but so deeply satisfying!
I see a beautiful, elegant young lady all dressed in design clothes in the style of Grace Kelly when I smell Parfum d'Hermes. Sophisticated is the word and at the same time there is an approachable feeling in this scent. Distant but warm.
The staying power is very good and the bottle is pure class too!

glitteralex
glitteralex

The 1980s Chypre fragrances are by far my favorites. In the early part of that decade, perfume houses took the previously strict parameters of the Chypre family and blew them up. New- and always bold- designs were built upon the traditional Chypre chassis of bergamot, a classic floral meritage, and resinous or animalic moss. On the scene arrived such unlikely stars as the resinous, heavy fruit notes of Talisman by Balenciage, the outrageous ylang-ylang of banana in L'Arte de Gucci by Gucci and Pour un Femme by Caron, the brazen rose note in Rose Cardin by Pierre Cardin, peaty smoke as in original Versace for women, the spicy woody interpretation of original Fendi for women, the animal in Paloma Picasso (spicy) and La Nuit by Rabanne (straight up)...I could go on and on.

Parfum d'Hermes does not shout as loud as the exemplary scents above; it is a sleeper, the classy older sister who gets the good husband. She and sibling scent Ysatis (Givenchy, 1984, by Dominique Rompion) are modern executions of traditional chypre ingredients.

What I enjoy most about this perfume is the beguiling top- the aldehydes are paired not just with the usual bergamot, but also with the cloying sweetness of the hyacinth playing against the strong, green, spicy, woody Galbanum. It's like an entire composition in just 5 minutes. After this blazing entrance, Parfum d'Hermes calms down significantly and enters a classic floral heart with powdery jasmine atop a subtle velvet of iris. The rose is very quiet-it must be Damascan absolute, not a synthetic- and makes a discreet appearance only after 20 minutes. Both the character and the strength of the notes become quite modest, in contrast to the top. Half an hour in, one hardly notices the seamless transition into the warm, woody incense base, with a restrained vanilla note. While sillage lessens considerably, the longevity of this scent remains excellent, due most certainly to the fine ingredients.

My one criticism of this perfume: while I adore the top, it is out of balance with the much more restrained heart and base. Sort of like realizing you have been talking too loudly at a dinner, and trying to compensate by assuming a polite and softspoken demeanor. No matter how hard you try, no one will forget your first impression.

raverdudes
raverdudes

Warm, powdery, gently aldehydic, classic. I have a little bottle of parfum and have only worn it once. Very nice, but I'm not lovestruck.

Notes, as best as I could gather: aldehydes, bergamot, hyacinth, egyptian jasmine, Florentine iris, ylang-ylang, bulgarian rose, labdanum, cedarwood, musk, amber, spices, vanilla.

F_A
F_A

First thing that made me go and sniff this fragrance was the bottle. I find it amazingly attractive!

Parfum d`Hermes is a very rich and warm fragrance with a vintage touch. In the beginning it is very flowery on my skin, I can clearly smell a little sharp smell of hiacynths and aldehydes mixed with sultry jasmines, then as the time goes by, it calms down and becomes woody, powdery and soft, creating a warm cloud all around you.

Parfum d`Hermes is indeed an elegant and cosy scent, from my point of view, perfect for a strong and self confident woman who is very romantic in her heart :)

The staying power is very good.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Hermes Parfum d`Hermes fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Hermes Parfum d`Hermes, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Parfum d`Hermes by Hermes. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Parfum d`Hermes by Hermes represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.