Designers » F-H » Chypre Floral « Groups

Rouge Hermes Hermes for women

Rouge Hermes Hermes for women
dislike

yellow floral
Rouge Hermes Hermes for women Pictures Rouge Hermes Hermes for women Pictures Rouge Hermes Hermes for women Pictures Rouge Hermes Hermes for women Pictures Rouge Hermes Hermes for women Pictures

Rouge Hermès: created by Akiko Kamei in 1984, the fragrance was known as Parfum d’Hermès. Reinterpreted in 2000 and renamed Rouge Hermès, the emblematic colour of the House, this semi-oriental floral amber is the very essence of sophistication. One easily recognises in its afternote, unforgettable for its richness as well as for the mastery of its composition, the mark of one of perfume’s all-time grand classics.

iris Ylang-Ylang Rose

Sandalwood Amber Vanilla Cedar

Spices Myrtle

Rouge Hermes Eau Delicate

Rouge Hermes Fragrance Reviews

SumoTigerCat
SumoTigerCat

Hermes Rouge is quite lovely. I get a somewhat similar vibe as Guerlain Chamade, but there are distinct differences to my nose. Rouge is spice, sandalwood, iris and ylang ylang to me. It is powdery, and nicely so. Both fragrances have an abundance of aldehydes, with Rouge having a bit more. Chamade is to me, sweeter, and the Hyacinth is very pronounced, and that is primarily why I find it different from Rouge. Both of these beauties have and will stand the test of time. To me, they are timeless elegance in bottled form.

It would be difficult to select the most obnoxious entry in The Holey [sic] Book--so many candidates!--but surely in the running is Turin's exhortation to the house of Hermès that they discontinue Rouge. What????? Bear in mind that in the same tome of screed, the author reveals that he himself was a failure during his short-lived tenure at the helm of a niche perfume house. So Hermès, a wildly successful perfume house (and with good reason!), is supposed to heed his advice precisely ... why?

Turin's tirade is all the more incomprehensible given the lavish praise bestowed upon Guerlain Chamade, which is clearly the elder half-sister of Rouge. Chamade may have more rose, and Rouge more aldehydes, but the resemblance is undeniable. In fact it reminds me a bit of my Argentinian friend's uncle who for decades denied that he was the father of his former maid's daughter--though their facial features are remarkably similar (and highly distinct)!

Rouge is a beautiful perfume--at least I can assert this with confidence about batch O1FM, which must have been produced a while ago (I picked it up at a discounter), since the ingredients list is only this:

Alcohol Denat., Parfum, Aqua.

As we all know, these days perfume houses list on the box everything under the sun under pressure from the IFRA. It no longer suffices to hide all of the chemical secrets with the catch-all "Parfum".

I wanted to make sure that I was not imagining the similarity between Chamade and Rouge, so I am doing a direct side-by-side comparison, and I must insist that these two perfumes are very closely related in composition. If you like one, you'll like the other--unless of course you are the inscrutable and ill-bred author of The Holey [sic] Book.

archivist
archivist

My absolute favorite part of Rouge is the drydown, when this perfume smells exactly like an antiquarian occult bookstore - the light, sheer floral of savon de marseilles (this is the part that smells like Caleche) rising from a sun-warmed wood floor, leather bindings, the lingering trace of an amber and spice incense (the resinous kind that burns on a piece of charcoal) in the background, and the distinctive smell of centuries-old paper - old paper is vanillic, woody, slightly sweet but not gourmand, dry but not dusty. I have had the pleasure of spending many, many hours in archives (hence the name) studying centuries-old books, and I know and love this smell. Antiquarian bookstores smell even better than archives because they still have a balance between the human aesthetic scents (like this savon de marseilles base, the amber/spice/myrtle incense) and the smell of book. The opening of Rouge is very loud - if anything, it's a demonstration of the maximum attainable volume of iris, which is usually pretty quiet. The opening of rouge is a floral bomb with heavy aldehydes, although you can smell the promise of serenity in the wayback. The drydown is where it's at - don't scrub if you're sampling, give it a chance to mature. I am addicted to Vol de Nuit as my night-time scent (also deployed as an emergency measure on very stressful days) and I can see Rouge becoming a go-to scent for writing days.

Pari88
Pari88

When I was a child, my sisters and I would go over to our neighbors house while our mom was out. My neighbors mom kept a stash of 80's romance novels. Every one of the novels had an illustrated cover of a man and woman making love. The girls and I would go through all the books and giggle at the covers. Voluptuos woman with huge curves would be hugging some Jean Claude Van Dam type muscular man. It was out of this world, and so 80's. I grew up in the 90's where ladies were not complimented for their curves but the count of their ribs, so for me, these ladies and men on these covers were alien like.

My neighbors mom, married to a seemingly nice guy, seemed to always long for a deep love other then her own. It was as if she was waiting for some man with flowing locks on a white horse to come save her. She was obsessed with daytime soap operas, and we would all have to sit there and watch them with her and her kids while we waited for our mom. She also smelled like Rouge Hermes. When I smelled this today at the department store, I immediatley remembered those 80's romance novels she kept. I pictured some woman by a fire in a cabin in the woods, ready for her lover. But the lady was married, and was having an affair. The lover she was waiting for was not the first affair and not the last. She is beautiful, but emotionally scarred. Unfortunately, I could never wear this without feeling like I am that woman. And it is not the woman I want to become... A beautiful fragrance, that forlorns for something, and is never truly satisfied, slightly selfish, much older, yet all woman. Curvaceous and dresses provacativeley. An array of characters, emotions and dreams jammed together to create a fog of smoke. Musty and slightly sweet with a lovely bitter sandalwood dominant smell. As a lover of Samsara, I sense similar construction, but as Samsara is balanced and self confident, Rouge, on my skin, smells like it needs validation. I wanted to love it, in that glorious Ruby bottle, but my skin tells a different story about this one.
A very 80's smell, and a very 80's romance novel/daytime soap opera story. But wow does it have character and a story worth writing, with a cover fit for a romance novel.
I will have to try Nahema, hoping it has a similar smell but a more pleasing story.

MirageMirage
MirageMirage

Has this perfume been reformulated? I'm considering buying this in edt, at an internet perfume shop which most likely doesn't store older ones. I've never tried it before, but always wanted to. Should I go ahead?!

aber19

An update. I am sorry, I rechecked my perfume bottle it is not the EDP as previously mentioned but the EDT version. Therefore, the strength of the perfume is quite long lasting. I only spray 2-3 times, which is quite remarkable for a EDT.

aber19

Please note my review is for the red long rectangular bottle as displayed on the first perfume graphic on this page.

aber19

This perfume is simply stunning.They do not make perfume like this any more. It is hard to find, but worth it, if you find it. It has similar to the fantastic Rochas Byzance edp classic in the beautiful blue bottle which is discontinued. But the rose in this one is more creamier, with a natural smelling sweetness. But has the same early strength.

The opening floral bouquet is Rouge out of this world for the EDP. I smell beautiful roses, woods and spices, then becomes a soft oriental powder lingering whiffs throughout the day. It does last longer on clothes than the skin. On both surfaces, the smell is divine. On my skin it was 3-4 hours, depending on summer or winter. On clothes over 7-8 hours.

The smell is strong within the first 15-20 minutes, then softens into a comfortable smell, suitable for the office or on jumpers. I usually 2-3 sprays. This is a masterpiece, in fact I have two bottles, because it is a definite must for perfumistas or collectors.

I wear this to feel better, luxurious and as a treat. I have over 100 perfumes. This is in my rare and favourites perfume in my top 5. I am happy to reapply, I would recommend this as a classic, chic and elegant rose floral, powdery, spice and wood based masterpiece.I give it 5 - for smell, 4.5 - stillage, 4 - perfume strength (I wish it lasted longer) 5 - quality and uniqueness.

irisjetaime
irisjetaime

Sa proximité avec Calèche m'a surprise et (un peu) déçue.
Sinon c'est un délicieux parfum comme Hermès sait les faire mais rien qui révolutionnera vos narines. Dommage.
Poudré façon "Calèche" avec un peu plus d'ambre et d'épices douces.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

I began by spraying this on a test strip, and was mesmerized by the delicate spicy notes - somehow, the fragrance managed to combine clear warm spiciness with a delicate and sophisticated edge. Could not wait to try it on my skin!....unfortunately, on my wrist, the delicate spices lasted about 20 minutes, then this morphed into almost pure powder; no more warm spices, no other notes coming through...I was certainly disappointed, as I had very high hopes based on the paper test.

Atreyu_Crimmins
Atreyu_Crimmins

One of the most unique and compelling fragrances I've encountered. Top notes a little overwhelming, but bear with it. Rouge matures into a magical sensory experience evocative of firewood, spice, great sex, and a gentle powdery softness. If you enjoy refined, woody and complex scents, go for it.

artsyrn
artsyrn

This is a strange waxy, powdery, resinous beauty.It conjours up candle light( lit by matches),matte, long wearing ruby red lip stick,sweet smelling face powder and the softest silk. A refined vixen of sorts.

cumulnimbus
cumulnimbus

Rouge is of a beautiful outstanding peculiarity. I find it a very recognizable scent, truly spicy (I feel cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper and cumin) and full of ylang ylang. It lasts a long time in my skin which is quite unusual, maybe it is due to the fact that the middle notes are already working as other perfume's base ones, sandalwood, ambre, vanilla and cedar (this last one as the master here). This makes it strong but within a velvety outlook (iris, rose). It is a warm powdery companion, of an unexpected and original beauty. Quite distinct and rare in today's perfume lanscape. Give it a try before it becomes an unattainable vintage. It is a unique powerful powder. I like it on cool weather days and going out for dinner nights.

pbluberry
pbluberry

This is very powdery to me. I almost can't get past the powdery to smell anything else. It is a woodsy floral to me. I do detect ylang ylang, it reminds me of 24 Faubourg but to the nth x of powder. It is beautiful but must use in moderation.

suhaesa
suhaesa

i had this in the back shelf ..i just sprayed it to review it.. and wow i was mesmerized ..one spray and it takes you back to powdery.. balmy.. oriental.. french.. 70 ies perfumes.. like madam rochas ..its a beautiful perfume.. a skin close scent.. it blends with your chemistry.. and warms up.. and transforms.. in to the most amazing powdery.. perfumy.. sensual.. vial ever..its unique.. in a class of its own.. definitely sophisticated.. classy ..and a bit sassy..
its bold and elegant its confident and serene ..its for a unique woman ..its more of a night evening perfume good for intimate dates or special occasions..

edt 100 ml vintage
perfume rtting 4.4 out 5
bottle ratting 4.3 out 5
my personal liking rating 4.2 out 5

antfarm
antfarm

Light, powdery, refined, aldehydic. Smells like a wealthy woman's wig. When I smell this I think of the color white, rather than the color red for which it is named. Reminds me a little bit of Chanel 22.

vintage_scent
vintage_scent

This is very lovely. Very sharp beginning, reminding me of really fresh flowers after just blooming, then the other notes come forward, like an unfurling rose. Spices, woods, amber, vanilla. At this point, I feel like I am tranported to a lavish victorian bedroom with old wooden floors, lush burgandy velvet bedspread on a victorian canopy bed, old tapestries hanging on the walls, rococo furniture covered in deep red satin, and a dressing table with all of the works... sterling silver powder jars, hair receiver ,and swansdown puffs, and a bouquet of red roses in a crystal vase. This is a deep red rose, with face powder nuances.

A very lovely classic perfume. Very powdery and rich. Wonderful staying power. Unique.
The name and color of the bottle suits it very well, I also love the satin bag it comes with.

auroramaria
auroramaria

This is such a beautiful gem in my collection!!
I have a 30 ml EDT cute bottle together with a red pouch to store it in and as I am wearing it I am thinking quite nostalgically that nowadays perfumery is really sad compared to the feeling these classic fragrances give you.
Rouge starts a bit sharp on me but it almost immedietly morphs into something creamy and smooth, very uplifting too.
The composition behaves really well as there doesn't seem to be one single wrong note.
Besides even though this is no sillage monster it will last for hours making you smell gorgeous.
I managed to find the body creme (very hard to get nowadays) and it's an amazing sensorial experience

Violettera
Violettera

Clasic perfume, rich and elegant, but too powdery. It has a soapy twist on my skin and it reminds me a lot of Caleche and White Linen. It's not very modern, but it's beautiful, it reminds me the perfumerie of the past. I like to smell it but I don't know if I want to smell like this.

Migalex
Migalex

Very very powdery floral coumin. Excellent staying power. Very unique scent. I quit like it although might find it a bit choking.

joliecat
joliecat

Hermes Rouge EDT is a beautiful, feminine, creamy, warm, intense, strong spicy floral. It lasts forever when sprayed in my hair. On my skin, it lasts a good 12 hours or more, wearing closer to skin as time passes. I LOVE the incense blended spices that stay, all the way through the drydown.

If you like YSL Opium, or Guerlain Samsara, you really should try Hermes Rouge.

jedikitty
jedikitty

I totally agree with boruvka44 and monamonib. They have described Rouge perfectly, so I probably cannot add too much here.

For years, I have been looking for a scent I could call my own and, I believe, this is it. I have also noticed the strong similarity to Miss Dior (my "other" signature scent), but Miss Dior is more aldehydic and harsher, while Rouge is smoother and creamier. The cholocate covered cherries smell more like raspberries to me, and I can't seem to get enough of them... I also love the incense of myrtle which, being the base note, is a lovely grounding factor.

I just have the mini of Rouge, for now, but I'm seriously contemplating splurging on the full size.
Yes, this is a masterpiece, and love at first sniff...

Longevity: 8+ hours;
Sillage: initially 4 inches, then tapers down to a very decent 3.

boruvka44
boruvka44

First couple of minutes it smells like just opened bonbonniere, still smelling the waxed paper covering cherries in dark chocolate. Cherry liquor smells through the creamy dark chocolate, not bitter or boozy though. Then comes deep red rose and powder (waxy-soapy myrrh)
It`s velvety, creamy, rich, very POWDERY..
On me it smells very similar to Chamade (less bitter, more roses)
I have EDT and it lasts about 10 hours on my skin, not bad! Plus beautiful Hermes flacon again, the rectangular one. Tester comes with a cap.

monamonib
monamonib

ibought rouge herms it is abomb of incense although there is no incense mentioned it start like miss dior after 5 minutes iam wearing incense for 6 hours and more even when iwash my hand it still there it is treasure for me as iam fan of incense just one spray very good lasting

ashyashy
ashyashy

it is a nice classy smell but slightly boring. It stays close to skin, and comfy but not ground taking or breath taking. A safe prefume.

id
id

It is powdery rosy smell with cedar, ylang-ylang and spices. I love chypres and this is good, not charp but smooth, with wonderful sillage. A classic, sophisticated scent, elegant and uplifting the same time.

Kterhark
Kterhark

This is a lovely, spicy rose that I've been pleased to spend the afternoon with. I'm surprised this has never crossed my path before, and I have to thank a very generous Fragrantian for the sample :-)

When this came out of the bottle I thought, 'ooh, big girl scent', but I have to say... it's wearing more on the demure side. It's certainly no skin scent, but I'm not filling the room with it, either.

I like this. Since I have Nahema in my rotation I wouldn't be adding it any time soon, but if I were in the market for a peppery rose, this would get a serious nod.

VeronicaRoy
VeronicaRoy

Very elegant and sophisticated. A marvellous perfume I wore when I was in my prime.

pippab
pippab

Hermes never fails to deliver the goods. This is my dear friend's signature scent and she always smells divine. She used the last of her bottle a little while ago, and I was lucky enough to have won $500 worth of perfumes in a writing competition. To share the joy, I've given her a replacement bottle of Rouge. I know she's very happy to have her favourite fragrance on her dresser again.

orchid_84
orchid_84

Rouge is an intensely spicy scent, at least on me. The first blast smells very strongly of spices and incense, and it stays this way for many hours. The scent eventually does soften (although it does take a while, say 6 hrs or so). I like it best then, when the heavy spice mellows out a bit and gives way to a bit of resiny sweetness.

In my mind, this is very similar to Donna Karan Black Cashmere, although I do prefer Rouge as it seems less sharp and abrasive to me. I would expect that fans of Estee Lauder Youth Dew would probably like Rouge as well.

This is one intense, long-lasting scent. I could smell it the next day, even though I have extremely dry, perfume-eating skin. I appreciate Rouge, and I much prefer it over both Youth Dew and Black Cashmere. However, it does smell strongly like church incense to me (especially in the first few hours it's on), and I don't know if I want to walk around smelling like a church.

adrienn99
adrienn99

this smells like roses, herbs and burnt sugar. very rich and quite easy to distinguish

puppynose
puppynose

Yes, pretty much a red scent but I find it also find it marbled with kind of a deep tan, a rich golden brown, not quite amber, just a rich warm brown. On a less synesthesic note, is the rectangular bottle in the picture the current one? Mine are the round ones which I believed to be vintage, could it be the other way around?

For my birthday, in early March, I received a giftset with a 50 ml vintage EDT, body creme and 5 ml. mini.

EDT in the vintage is more like (today's) PARFUM...

Amazing sillage and wonderful longevity!!

Thank the perfumed gods that some sites STILL carry original formulations!

Galya
Galya

Sento solo la candela,cioe' l'odore di cera d'api insieme l'ilang-ilang e basta.

Collector
Collector

I think this is a winter scent. It is rich and smells like incense to me, sort of exotic. I don't smell the roses. A little goes a long way and it lasts all day on me. I find it to be a cozy smell but not one for spring days or sunshine, more dark days by the fire with a book or going to an elegant evening out. I agree it could be unisex, great for the man who likes Aramis or other spicy heavy scents.

ouchka
ouchka

Referring to the original parfum d'hermes.
I have been wearing this perfume for 20 years, always in the late fall season. Few perfumes are so distinctively associated with a season for me.
A very classy scent to wear with wool and cashmere.

Very unique scent, understandably loved or hated. I don't get compliments on it as I do with Coco Mademoiselle from Chanel but I feel like I am making a statement when I wear it. The grim late Fall becomes a season of celebration thanks to this perfume.

Reformulated or not, this is passion, plain and simple!! I think the ad, with the woman wrapped in flames yet not being consumed, is quite apropos...

For being re-released in 2003, this still smells classic and slightly vintage, though every Hermes I have smelled emanates class and sophistication. No bright citrus opening here...right to the seductive and rich florals that enchant and intrigue me. Ylang, rose and iris: what a cobination! Romantic, rich and powdery it gets your attention right NOW! Floral on its face, it is exotic and oriental in its heart of hearts. Sandal, cedar (lebanese no doubt), vanilla and amber bewitch and beguile. The drydown here has chypricity (is that even a word?!), but has no moss or patchouli; instead it uses myrrh (not myrtle, to my nose) and a melange of spices and some cistus resin to rest on the skin it warm spicy powdery haze. Gorgeous and lovely, great for winter. Excellent for intimacy ;-)...

Sillage: good
Longevity: very good
Overall: 4.5/5

I love chypres, but oriental spicies are more my thing...this is the best of both! Dreamy flowers, heady woods and warm incensy spice with just enough vanilla to smooth it all out! This is spectacular...

magie
magie

the name is very fitting, rich and warm and red. Love the richness of this fragrance. It does smell of rich woods and beeswax and plush velvet. The florals are soft and elegant and then it dries down to soft powder,smells like an expensive face powder to me, like a great theater actress would wear. I love the sandalwood and resins at the end. I suppose it does smell a little like church, but in a good way, a comforting way. It must the the resins and incense. It lasts a good long time as do most hermes scents. I also agree with Jae that it can be worn by both sexes. It is feminine, in an old world way, but it isn't girly. I love it and think it will make a great fall and winter scent.

PerfumeEmpress
PerfumeEmpress

Yes, it's powdery. It's also DIVINE. I always get compliments when I wear this. Sensual, rich, comfy, mature. Mind you, I said 'mature,' not 'old.'

Lady Love
Lady Love

If you enjoy the complexity of Opium, you may also like and be interested in this deep warm and misterious scent named Rouge.
This fragrance is very sophisticated and intense: Spices,Sandalwood and Ylang-Ylang are so well combined.

In my personal opinion I find Rouge a beautiful red gem, cuz today's fragrances lacks of personality and complexity. I don't think it's overwhelming cuz is an Eau de Toilette. It's retro but definitely not the old lady tipe.

Rouge is a Red Goddess to use in especial events, not an every-day fragrance.

Try it!

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

I can appreciate Rouge much more now that I have been thoroughly disappointed by Madness by Chopard-

As the grand predecessor of Madness, it is more smoothly blended-A sour rose blended with sweet powdery notes-The resins go above my head, and the amber doesn't stick out to me.
It's relevant to all of the readers of this review that I usually prefer very modern scents, in general. Vintage isn't my thing-but I can appreciate a masterpiece of vintage on my skin-even if I don't want to wear it out. In my opinion, this doesn't smell like it was created in 1934, for some people that is a very good thing-but for the vintage lovers, I don't know.

It smells neither very old nor modern to me, but it does have a distant and dated feeling rather than a luxurious animated one.

I'm still sad that Madness by Chopard is such a mediocre perfume for its name, at least I can say that the word Rouge is fitting, since it makes me think of wax, powder, old makeup. I can appreciate this more when I think of old lipstick, actually....Not that it smells like old lipstick, but it kind of reminds me of it.

MirabelleJee
MirabelleJee

A classic old style perfume, remember it from my childhood. I've tested it recently. Spicy woody cloud with the strange sweet note that reminds me the old ladies' perfumes. This one is for very mature women I think. I can't wear it.

jae
jae

I'm sorry for all of those whose skin doesn't love Rouge. This is definitely unisex, though. What I get from this fragrance are warm spices and sandalwood, wrapped in vanilla and a faint trace of roses. I also get what seems like a sugary cinnamon (ie. Big Red chewing gum). This isn't the typical pick-me-up citrus/aqua-based "teen spirit" fragrance. This is a warm, mellow, smooth fragrance that I'd label as mature and plush. This is to be worn with warm colors, luxurious/suave attire and enjoyed in a "warm" indoor setting or in cold weather on the way to that "warm" setting. Rouge smells excellent on my skin and I'm glad to have finally checked it out. I totally "get" this fragrance. After receiving and sampling this today, I ordered a bottle (anxious to add this to my growing Hermes collection).

I didn't know Rouge dates back to 1934! It smells old-style but not old. I would have said it was from '80s. It's a very bold and strong fragrance and I like it in small doses, better an EdP, only a squirt is enough!
It smells very vanillic and ambery, also woody and just floral at the beginning. It is probably too heavy for many people. I smell only little fruit (not listed) and no citrus! This is maybe the reason why someone may perceive it as "sad". There is no initial citrusy burst, instead there is a powerhouse floral start! I like to wear this red scent. Not much beloved by others anyway.

Natalia78
Natalia78

I love Rouge. Mainly for it's deep warm character. This might be worn by men - spiciness and tempting tones of sandalwood should be a treat for real male connoisseur.

evarus
evarus

The Beautiful aroma. Strogiy. for very especial moments.

chuaalba
chuaalba

lovely,smoth roses and ambar warm and sensual.i love rouge

Goes on standard oriental, then fades quickly to rich resins. There's a bit of boozy note, dark and rich. This is not for office wear and it's not happy, effervescent or uplifting. It does smell really nice though, for resin-lovers. (yeah, right here.) Perhaps the labdanum is putting people to sleep? I find it a very pleasant sonombulent scent.

Carla
Carla

Sampled this and to me it is similar to the original Dior's Diorella which I use to wear, but not as good. It's not bad but nothing to write home about!

Rouge Hermes by Hermes 3.83 out of 5 based on 280 ratings and 49 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Hermes Rouge Hermes fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Hermes Rouge Hermes, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Rouge Hermes by Hermes. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Rouge Hermes by Hermes represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.