Designers » F-H » Chypre Floral « Groups

Shangri La Hiram Green for women and men

Shangri La Hiram Green for women and men

Hiram Green launches his second perfume, Shangri La, almost one hundred years after Francois Coty created the fragrance whose name would come to embody an entirely new fragrance genre: the chypre.

Named after the fictional land described in James Hilton’s novel Lost Horizon, Shangri La evokes a mystical fragrant paradise, opening with a sharp burst of citrus. A rich bouquet of peach, jasmine, rose, iris and spices are in the heart, resting on an earthy base of vetiver and oakmoss.

Shangri La is available in a 50 ml spray atomizer and a 5 ml travel atomizer. Shangri La was launched in 2014.

Citruses Peach Jasmine Rose iris Spices Vetiver Oakmoss

Chypre Palatin

Shangri La Fragrance Reviews

Amazing that this is a perfume made with natural essences, as it has a very distinct presence and longevity.

A true old-world type chypre, combining a short-lived citrus opening with unobtrusive ripe fruity notes, followed by the development of the earthy base, the whole underscored by a wonderful spiciness. There is a dryness to this fragrance, a "dustiness" that remains throughout which is the only note that gives me pause (thankfully, for my wallet) otherwise it would have been an immediate full-bottle order!

This one really surprised me. I found the opening so revolting that I almost scrubbed immediately. It was hyper sweet and medicinal. I'm glad that I left it on. Within a half hour I was in love. The peach note, never my favorite, is delicious and the Moss heart is just my cup of tea. Wonderful.

Hmm.. Very interesting tho. Sharp spices with oakmoss with some sweetened kind of cloying peaches that lightens the sharpness of the combination of oak and spices, as it turns into a quite vintage sharp fragrance.

I see their 3 fragrances are connected together somehow which makes them mesmerizing to me.

(Edit 12th Feb 2016) WOW... just WOW ... peaches, citrus, and the kind of spice that strengthen the citrus note over the powerful peach note. The oakmoss then appears slowly to overcome the whole juice & later the jasmine show up rancing the atmosphere, and i guess this is the friendly version of moon bloom.

I was wearing this from a sample i bought while "We're In This Love Together" By "Al Jarreau" was playing in the radio, OH MY... you can't believe how my mind soared and flown away to an imaginative daydream!

This house amazes me with their fragrances.

Shangri La is all about moist, ripe, sun warmed peach. The ingenious proportions in the mix of vetiver, burnt spices and sour-sharp notes even create that scurrying experience of taking a bite of a teeth shuddering, fuzzy peach. Jasmine dominates among the floral notes, complimenting the citruses in this all grown up and dark scent. There´s no gloom or gothic imprint of any kind to the darkness though, this one presents itself as the vigourus perfume of integrity that it is. Overall, the scent projects a lived in complexity of variant experiences, not at all frivolous but with the joy and confidence of somebody who has learned to appreciate various aspects of life. Timeless!

The second production of independent and natural brand Hiram Green has a mysterious touch in the concept. At first I was puzzled by the choice of the name in homage to the classic chypres from the past, but a search was enough to understand that there is an intrinsic relationship between chypres and Shangri-la.

This is a city of the book Lost Horizon by British author James Hilton. It is described in the book as a mystical valley, bucolic, a synonym for paradise on earth, a utopian place where people are living in isolated land from the wold in a state of permanent joy. Shangri-la for your visitors can be both desired as a possible new world or a frightening and oppressive place, in my view due to their utopia state and isolation.

The chypre family is a kind of Shangri-la of perfumery since its beginning with the creation of Coty Chypre in 1917. The main combination of patchouli, oak moss, labdanum and bergamot had and still has a mysterious air, harmonious and bucolic, as a fragrant utopian paradise that can be developed in many ways, still keeping its main aspects of abstraction, harmony and mystery. Just as Shangri-la, chypre classics can be seen by some as a lost paradise in time at which you want to be or a a scary and oppressive place outside the reality perhaps even more if we compare the dense and multifaceted character of a classic chypre with less complex aura of a current perfume, made to be easily understood and please the greatest number of people.

In Shangri-la, Hiram Green recreates the bucolic paradise of Coty Chypre and Mitsouko. It's like for me they had never changed because of restrictions or changes in consumer taste. Still, Shangri-la is not exactly a copy of any of them, not having so evident peach lactone aroma of Mitsouko or more dry and earthy aura of Chypre. In Shangri-la I realize more obviously the sweet and bitter bergamot nuances, which briefly gives me a mouthwatering effect. It is the opening to a beautiful scent of jasmine, sweet, with a hint of orange and grape, a subtle link with Moon Bloom. Jasmine here avoids the austere tone of the classic chypre and its more evident presence that is the most enchanting side of this paradise for me. The iris appears to confer a controlled earthy touch, elegant, which evolves into a woody base, harmonic, less dense in labdanum and patchouli and with more vetiver in the composition.

In fact, some ideas stop in time. Not because they become old, but perhaps they have always existed and we as humans just discovered its wonders and associate with that time. I just see this natural creation, a harmonious paradise, abstraction, a reminder of a past classic that can be revived and appreciated. I understand that I am among the group of people who would not mind living in this utopia of a past where quality, art and creativity were more important.

A gorgeous, old school chypre. I get juicy spiced peach with a dash of citrus that deepens into a sensual mossy base. There is something leathered and animalic as well. Not overpowering, but definitely present. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something very womanly about this perfume, definitely not for little girls.

I'm amazed that this is an all-natural since it has amazing longevity and has a complexity that I wouldn't have associated with a "natural".

I purchased my sample from Luckyscent and transferred to a spray bottle because IMO, sprays wear different than dabs.

But either way, this is a thinking persons perfume. First spray was quite earthy, musky.. a bit funky like being in a moist humid place. I got peach but it was gone way too quickly....Then somebody shows up chewing Bazooka Yes I really did get that note and considering as a kid I chewed it quite a bit, its smell has been hammered into my olfactory memory.

The next phase is smoky, a bit corniferous, with just a wee bit of moth balls and candles made of beeswax, all of which is overlaying a sweet carnation/clove and planks of wood. Kind of like being in a cabin in the woods.

I don't doubt I will need to test again as it changes so much. There are very clear layers in this fume which I can appreciate, though they are sometimes quite hard to pick out. They float interchangebly with each other, and sometimes one note because 3d, over another.

Any peach I got was in the beginning and gone in a flash, It was however, one interesting flash. I wish I could have smelled it more. I will need to retest in a warmer weather situation because this fume shows a lot of promise.

Longevity is excellent, 6-8 hours and sillage on 2 sprays is impressive. A person with drier skin than mine may need to spray more but not by much.

The things I don't like, which could totally prevent me from buying from this house, is that I abhor bulb sprayers. They're terrible, cludgy and are more about looks than function. Pricewise though, I think its very fair for what you get.

As I delve deeper into the natural side of perfumes, I'm sensing that you just can't discount "natural" as being synoymouse with poor sillage and longevity because thats certainly not the case from the brands I'm trying out at the moment, including this one.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Hiram Green Shangri La fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Hiram Green Shangri La, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Shangri La by Hiram Green. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Shangri La by Hiram Green represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.