Designers » F-H » Oriental Woody « Groups

1740 Marquis de Sade Histoires de Parfums for men
dislike

leather
herbal

1740 represents the birth year of a Parisian gentleman, named Donatien-Alphonse-François, famous as the Marquis de Sade. Imprisoned many times by his licentious morals, this would undoubtedly have enjoyed this spicy woody perfume, an invitation to pleasure.

Top notes: bergamot and davana sensualis. Heart: patchouli coriander and cardamom. Base: cedar, elemi, leather and labdanum.

It is available as 120 ml EDP. 1740 Marquis de Sade was launched in 2000.

Artemisia Bergamot

Patchouli Cardamom Coriander

Virginia Cedar Elemi resin French labdanum Leather Birch Vanilla Immortelle

1740 Marquis de Sade Fragrance Reviews

hadrian

1740 gives you an undeniable sensation of force, power and - oh, yes - virtue! Because every real good perfume that we finally get represents the transgression of our vice (id est the love for scents) into a virtue: yes, it is a kind of probity to succeed appreciate an excellent perfume and to want to have it, no matter the price.
With its explosion of immortelles flowers, coriander and smoky & spicy woods, 1740 is a true masterpiece.
It has depth and a multitude of faces, like a ride into a scented multiverse.
A deserved 9++/10

Tiger84

Luckily I got a cheaper alternative because this is a bit above what I usually allow myself to spend on a scent right now. Erotique shares the leather, cedar and coriander note, of course not the same scent and I wouldn't treat them as alternatives but they have a very similar effect on me.

Tiger84

I'm in love... Okay, lust. This is an instant aphrodisiac for me. I keep falling for scents several times every day but it's rare that a scent could turn me into a sex offender. This has such power.

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

My favorite quote from the Marqis de Sade: "In order to know virtue, we must first acquaint ourselves with vice."

1740 actually made me growl. It's the leather that I want now that I'm accustomed to my much loved Cuir de Russie and Bandit.

There were a few sweetly alcoholic moments before 1740 dried on my wrist, and then-leather! Birch boiled down to the blackest tar, with a tiny sweet note of labdanum bravely trying to take the edge off. But the leather just keeps coming, tinged with vanilla and tobacco. After hours of dry down, a beautiful amber asserts itself and falls into step with the leather, the two of them walking off into the sunset together, and God only knows what they plan for the evening.

Vice and virtue, dark leather and golden amber, a simple but immediately recognizable iconography. I love it.

Fizzy
Fizzy

I would appreciate this only on a 90 years old guy. Lots of leather and powder.

fuggerone
fuggerone

leather animal patchouly, dense, rich and kinky..one of the best frome Histoire...80's powerhouse vibe! 'Nuff said!

farang
farang

It is an unusual and also an attractive fragrance. A combination of leather, immortelle, patchouly and other notes create a rich and deep fragrance that is masculine at heart. A smokey room with men (it is certainly men) playing cards and drinking whiskey. It seems to be a better fit for winter evenings than for summer days.

All in all I admire it, but don't love it since it is not my style. Thus, I'll continue sniffing it from time to time, but I will not purchase a full bottle.

miracleborgtech
miracleborgtech

Patchouli with a wicked side! 1740, the Marquis's birthday, is a complex, interesting perfume that gives a sense of the baroque, a style known for exaggerated exuberance and detail to produce drama. The opening is dramatic - drenched in tobacco, patchouli and leather. Bold and unusual, and on my skin not my favorite stage. The tobacco reminds me of men's club pipe smokers and the leather of their riding gear, both extravagant and over the top. Although I don't see tobacco listed as a note, somehow this is the strongest scent I get from the initial spray.

With the drydown you enter the exquisite stage - heavenly patchouli, leather, cardamon and cedar. For a patchouli lover like myself, the accord is blissful and beautiful. Finally a rich patchouli scent that has a supporting group of notes that so well compliment, they transform it into an opulent unconventional rare pleasure. This phase is so enchanting it is worth the wait for the drydown.

I also like that it is an out of the ordinary scent, surprising, unique.

Silage good, longevity good and I can smell overspray faintly on my clothes for a day.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Bold, rich, dense accord of dusty leathers and vibrant, carnal immortelle, with a silky vanilla and aromatic woods base and an earthy patchouli heart, initially with also a boozy "hit". Really compact and quite complex, perhaps "rounded" and packed so tightly with some artificial escamotage that make it sound a bit "too rich" and at the same a bit plastic (like fake buildings in movie sets – and by the way, a signature trait of Histoires de Parfums to me). As minutes pass it kind of comes close to a simpler, more straightforward and more shouty version of Fumerie Turque, with an interesting kind of rancid fruits/flowers twist. Overall a nice gloomy and smoky leather scent with a pungent decadent boozy-floral personality. Monster persistence and bold projection, which can be a pro or a con depending on how much you like this – it is nice at first, but has not much of an evolution, so get ready to smell that same concoction for hours ("cloying alert").

12 simple words on 1740:
"One of the top 5 of the best scents I ever tested".
So, a logic 9++/10

lumberjack
lumberjack

Get a glass of whiskey, wear your dirty dressing gown, sit on a leather sofa, light a cuban and talk on the phone with one of your banker dude ... This is 1740.

hatandbeard
hatandbeard

What a deep and intriguing fragrance. I may be going out on a limb here, but after having the chance to test all of the 'Histories' line I feel this is one of the better ones they offer. All of the 'Histories' line are very deep/full/rich fragrances, but 1740 just struck the right chord for me; probably because I'm a sucker for leather, labdanum, and smoke. The subtleties of this fragrance have far more to offer than that, but on my skin those are the predominant notes that last the entire time the fragrance does. As a few have said already it opens up extremely boozy along with a wonderfully sweet labdanum and a tiny bit of cardamom. Almost immediately the smokiness (it's a woody smoke and probably is coming from the cedar) slowly starts to creep in along with a tiny bit of leather. I'd like to mention that I have let many people try 1740 and this stage seems to be completely different on everyone. On my skin the smokiness comes to the forefront and is combined with an extremely deep, warm, and visceral note that I can't seem to put my finger on. It's almost sexual and keeps bringing me back to the arm I sprayed it on time and time again; taking a deeper whiff every time. On others the smoky/visceral qualities don't take charge. Instead they sit quietly in the background as leather note starts to mix in. I can safely say that I'm glad that doesn't happen with me, as that is my favorite part of this fragrance. As time goes on the boozy quality dissipates, but the smoke, labdanum, and leather (along with that visceral note) hold strong. After the hours and hours this fragrance lasts it seems to take on a subtle, almost "womens boudoir-esque" quality as it begins to fade. Meaning that it almost smells as if you walked up to someone’s vanity and had a look around at all of the different types of makeup and perfume that were there. When I say this I mean it in the most positive and subtle way possible, as this is not a feminine fragrance.

Overall I really like this one, but will say that it is not one I wear all of the time and usually reserve for special occasions or nights on the town. Silage and longevity are great with 1740 and one spray goes quite a long way.

El Aurens
El Aurens

1740 belongs to a very short list of fragrances that I like but would never wear.

It certainly has a vibe of centuries past. Takes me to a dark, creepy, old playhouse that would showcase something like Macbeth. It smells like the library of a haunted house. Or the very room illuminated by candlelight where the man whose name is the namesake for sadist would conduct his writing.

I don't want to be associated with any of these things but will hold on to my sample because it is well worthwhile to revisit this olfactive journey from time to time.

Rating 9.25/10

Postumo
Postumo

Completely agree with snowtree, I've had both versions, and the differences are noticiable. The second version is not bad per se, but pales compared to the original.
Anyway I love this fragrance.

d-d-d-drew
d-d-d-drew

Okay, I managed to obtain a vintage whopping huge bottle of 1740 and it's very, very different from the ones that are out now. The bottle, I mean. Actually, if you look up 1828 Histoire, there's a very similar picture there. I haven't compared the contents against one another yet. The bottle shape itself is probably the same as the current but the packaging, labeling, and cap are of an entirely different DNA; the cap way more ornate, actually reminding me of a Clive Christian cap but in Silver.

Now to the contents. Whoah...even after reading all the notes and reviews, I still recommend trying this out before a purchase, especially this large in size. Initially, I get a blast of patchouli (which I'm okay with) and then I get this concentrated sweet floral, I guess that's the immortel? And I must confess this is my first brush with immortel and I'm not entirely cuckoo for it, but after letting it play out, it does play a good supporting role. Other notes come out next, leaving what could be construed as slightly medicinal notes before moving on.

Next is the darker leather, tobacco, woody, and warm spices...my favorite part! I also get something a little boozy, but I don't want to call it rum. Maybe something dryer, but pretty consistent all the way to the final dry down where it kind of settles in a very dry leather and wood spicey way. Less sweet, less floral, but still dark and moody.

Projection can be a monster on this if over-applied so watch out and longevity, well...I'm certain that if I didn't wash this off there would be some trace of it a week from now. Not a wimpy fragrance, that's for sure, but not so wickedly hard to wear either.

I'm not so sure I see women wanting to wear this one but hey, you never know.

This one has been slaughtered. Used to be as good as it gets. Now is not a bad fragrance but completely generic and whatever. Very sad.

As for somebody being offended by the name: there's a reason he's known as the Divine Marquis. Among many others, the Surrealists considered him a great hero. To be offended by somebody having that opinion means a person has absolutely and completely missed the point. But never mind: it's a hard sell.

Carestinus
Carestinus

Wonderful scent, a piece of art. Not for everyone, you must know before blindbuying that you'd be getting a warm, strong and controversial juice. I must explain this last statement:

2 years ago I received this tiny 1 ml sample and was totally crazy about it but thought I would never use this scent since I felt it was halfway between smelling faecal and irresistible at the same time. Sometimes it was just too ashaming and some other I had the feeling I would become the guy of the Perfume book, just followed by everyone, sexually harassed.

I finally bought the 14ml decant (an excellent option since it is a parfum version so every drop lasts for days) and spraying it showed this is clearly smoother than I thought and much more wearable. Still... I'll think twice of the occasion to wear it.

Now back to the scent, I love the fact something like rhum, patchouli and honeyed rotten flowers make their way to blend into this holy grail of modern perfumery, so sophisticated, so old fashion and yet so trendy... this is not for everyone (I'm even thinking I may not be included into the vip group), it is definitely NOT a scent for young people, but there is no single doubt you all must try this. I've already heard three friends saying: "this is sexual, not sensual, but pure sex".

AkcijaGirl
AkcijaGirl

I just remembered that I will be going to Zumba tonight - oh Jesus, those poor ladies will be forced to experience the following "scents" emanating from my opened pores (in no particular order): sour, sweaty leather, damp decaying tobacco leaves, fresh upturned soil dug up from the depth of a Eastern European forest that may have served as a mass grave site at one point, my dad's mouldy old leather jacket that has remained shut up in a tiny, airless closet underneath the stairs for two decades....oh, and a schmear of maple syrup, if you really search for it.

I love patchouli normally (one of my first ever forays into niche was Borneo) but this one really is a patch bomb. It is very masculine and hard, I think, for a lady to pull off. I am surprised. From the notes, I thought this would be right down my alley.

snowtree
snowtree

I'm so happy to see all the positive reviews on this fragrance as it is one of my favorites (and it can be challenging to some as this is not a mainstream fragrance by any means), however I'm assuming most people are describing the newer reformulated version. Sometime in the middle 2012 they changed a complete masterpiece, probably due to a restriction, even though Gérald Ghislain swears they didn't. Ignore him, they did. Gérald is amazing but he is not being honest :) To quickly summarize the difference between the two (I do have both.... and enough of the original to last me for years thankfully), the first version is much smoother in its spice and immortelle. Overall it does have a stellar buttery vibe that Turin alludes to in his review. It is flawless from start to finish. The new one has a slight, and I hate to use this word, chemical feel to it. It is good, I like it, but it smells a tad petroleum-esque, and then turns to an almost pancake-syrupy vibe as it heads towards the dry down. The original stays with an ever so tasteful spice and leather-tobacco dry down that is truly compelling. If one were to never smell the "vintage", you would be correct in saying that this is a good fragrance. If you are familiar with the initial creation, you more than likely would be very disappointed, not to mention heartbroken that you would never be able to smell such a masterful version of this fragrance again at some point.

K1
K1

Marquis de Sade is the best name for such masterwork.
MdS is dark raspy leathery floriental bitter fragrance with liquor'ish opening and progressively sweetening middle tone which is deeply masculine, evil and extremely sexy! Smells like burning petroleum smog.
The mood is exposures is parallel to the mood M7 displays; harsh aggressive masculine attractive power.
This perfume is a nice combination of everything at once: leather, resin, herbs, spices, flowers and woody notes. A complete masculine release.

alepoz84
alepoz84

the scent really refer to something antique, old antique not, because the notes are well together, harmonically speaking is phenomenal, persistent, I took a shower and use the Marseille soap on the skin, and well, has remained the note pathculi , then a great scent for those who love life, a great scent for those who love antique notes in the notes without exceeding démodé without falling into banality, well, then the packaging is cute, so from my point of view a great profum for those as usual hates cheesy. The price? in Italy costs 80/90 € for 50 ml, so based on my experiences and my taste a great scent.

Rating 8/10

takeitupthenose
takeitupthenose

I realized that I reviewed this beauty on Youtube but not on fragrantica. Well...lets fix that.

I sprayed this on this morning and my wife says "grandaddy is that you" LOL!!!! Quite funny actually as I didn't realize she was talking about the fragrance.

I don't know what many of the notes here smell like (just want to be honest). So let me tell you what I do smell.

This smells of woody/sweet/spicy/tobaccoish leather.If I read the notes listed, I could think this fragrance can possibly go in 20 different directions. Well...well.....well.....

This is fragrance defined by the sum of its notes more than the notes themselves and they work harmoniously. The perfumer set out to paint a picture not highlight a note and this is very well executed. Unlike its sibling Ambre 114, 1740 tells a story. It takes you somewhere. Now I don't know the history behind Donatien-Alphonse-François. But this would remind me of Spanish gentlemen, with an expensive pipe, sitting in his study with the globe in the corner and a wonderful whiskey/scotch on the desk. You can smell the books, the leather boots and chair, the wood desk and the building itself (wood floors and shelves).

So does this smell old? Yes! Does is smell modern? Absolutely! I believe it really possesses a timeless classic modernity. I don't see this as unisex but that shouldn't prevent women from trying it.

Overall the projection/longevity/sillage are off the charts. 4 sprays may be a bit much as I can smell me in places I have been. The price/value ratio for the entire HdP house is wonderful. They have done an excellent job and I like their pefect blend of modern and timeless.

4.75/5....for any true fragrance lover this is at least a sniff! But most would want to own it and enjoy it.

Marquise
Marquise

It is amazing fragrance for elegant male! Reminds me of some dandy with hat... Oriental , vintage, also deep and sexy. I can smell dust (dont know why) and leather of course. One of the best from Histories.

michael.j
michael.j

I had a feeling I'd like this, and the sample I had confirmed this. I had no idea, however, that I'd fall in love with it. I love leather scents in general. This one, however, is particularly exceptional. I'd even say it's a work of genius. I like Cuir de Lancôme, PG Cuir d'Iris, Clive Christian C, Heeley's Cuir Pleine Fleur, and a bunch of others, but I love this one. The only other leathers that come this close to love for me are Cuir Garamante by MDCI and Mona's Cuir. 1740 is rich, regal, poised and sophisticated, but it's also slutty, dirty, and sultry. A lot of sex going on here. Genius.

rafickw
rafickw

This is definitely a Patchouli based fragrance without SCREAMING at everyone" HEY I AM A PATCHOULI SCENT!!!" (Rejects are likes of Montale "Patchouli leaves" and Noir Patchouli from this house) Marquis de Sade is much more toned down in the Patchouli department yet noticeable. It is a classy,dark and a tad bit dirty little number. Don't get me wrong, I love Patchouli in my scents due to its wet,dark and earthy smell but not as as intense as the above scents I just mentioned. I can definitely detect a sweet leathery undertone backed by some spices (courtesy of the coriander) which has slight similarities with Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan. It is also spicy.

Great Sillage and Longevity.

UPDATE: The Immortelle is very pronounced in this fragrance, which I can also detect in Tubereuse 3 Animale, that I proudly own from this house as well.

Will buy it tomorrow from Bergdorf Goodman on my way to work.

Marli1973
Marli1973

Wow this is really good. Yummy and very sexy leather accord. Unisex for sure and perfect for going out at night time.

Kain
Kain

This is just an amazing fragrance.
Do you want a leather based fragrance that is naughty, dirty and sexy at the same time?!
Give this one a try.
At the opening I can smell a semi fresh, citrusy leather note with slight amount of sweetness and very light floral notes.
I can also smell heavy musky scent that with leather note creating a dirty musky leather scent.
After a few seconds the citrusy notes are gone and I can smell a little stronger dirty, musky leather.
As time goes by and in the dry down, I can still smell all those notes that I mentioned at the opening but floral notes and sweetness are stronger.
The sweetness is creamy, buttery and extremely sexy and yummy.
This is a unisex fragrance for me and I'm sure even women can wear and enjoy this great scent.
The dirty and musky leather note is the masculine part of the scent and creamy, buttery sweetness mixed with beautiful floral notes are the feminine part.
Another thing that I should mention before I forget is the quality. it's just amazing.
Great quality and great balance of the notes.
If you love floral and musky leather based fragrances such as amazing "Dior Fahrenheit", I'm quite sure you will love this one too.
Both projection and longevity are great.
I've got 8-10 hours of longevity with really good projection.
A bottle worthy fragrance for me.

اگه دوست دارین یه عطر بر پایه رایحه چرم رو امتحان کنین که هم تلخ و دودی و مردانه باشه و هم نیمه شیرین و جذاب و سکسی، حتما این عطر رو امتحان کنید
رایحه ابتدایی این عطر با بوی تلخ و نیمه شیرین چرم شروع میشه که رایحه ملایمی از گلها هم میشه در کنارش حس کرد
رایحه ضعیف مرکبات برای چند ثانیه پس از اسپری کردن حس میشه منتها در عرض چند ثانیه و خیلی سریع محو میشه
من رایحه مُشک رو هم میتونم بصورت قوی تو رایحه ابتدایی حس کنم که ترکیبش با رایحه چرم بوی تلخ و یه جورایی کثیف مانندی به عطر میدن
در ادامه و در رایحه میانی رایحه تلخ و کثیف مانند چرم و مشک همچنان حس میشن و در این مرحله رایحه های شیرین و رایحه گلها کمی قویتر به مشام میرسن
رایحه شیرین عطر خیلی ملایمه و حس خامه ای و کره ای مانند داره و ترکیبش با رایحه ملایم و دلپذیر گلها بوی بسیار دلچسب و جذاب و سکسی ایجاد میکنن
البته در کنار این رایحه ملایم گلها و رایحه شیرین، بوی تلخ چرم هم به راحتی حس میشه و یه وقت تصور نشه که بوی عطر زنونه اس
ولی در مجموع به نظر من این عطر به راحتی میتونه یونیسکس باشه
کیفیت ساخت و بالانس رایحه ها هم عالیه و شخصا ازش خیلی لذت بردم
اگه از عطرهایی مثل دیور فارنهایت که بوی تلخ چرم ترکیب با رایحه گلها و مشک دارن لذت میبرین، این عطر رو از دست ندین و مطمئن هستم عاشقش میشین
پخش بو و ماندگاریش هر دو عالیه
اگه پیدا کنم حتما یه بطری از این عطر میخرم

GUTB
GUTB

I tried to like 1740, to find the qualities others ascribed to it: "rich", "spicy", "boozy", etc. All my brain was willing to interpret, though, was...BBQ sauce. I had smeared BBQ sauce on myself.

spaniel
spaniel

Very sweet. Honeyed aspect that settles a bit on the drydown, but never really goes. Too sweet for a masculine, to my nose. Might suit a woman better, but a little blandly gourmand. Smells like a pastry shop.

Veteverian
Veteverian

Histoires de Parfums 1740 Marquis de Sade

A sweet,warm, magnificent leather. Brilliant in its structure, it is coherent and straight forward in its goals. It aims to please, seduce and comfort. Not a single note detracts from that effect.

Opens as a sweet candied leather. It is a sweet concoction of plum jam, honey covered roasted nuts, and boozy patchouli. Despite having a gourmand aspect, I am reluctant to call it so. The sweet concoction is spread across a suede surface, and I know that if I lick it, it won’t taste good.

The opening is impressive and I want to love it, but I know that if indulge now, I will regret later. Just as I think that, patchouli and leather envelop the sweetness and keep it restrained in their embrace. Fifteen minutes into the development, it feels like getting up from a nauseatingly loud desert table, in a room which grew too stuffy over the course of the dinner, putting on a silk lined suede jacket, and escaping into the cool evening for a walk in the neighborhood park with someone like minded.

At this point the fragrance is evocative. It satiates, calms, and reminds me that life is to be enjoyed quietly.

Colours which come to mind are dark chocolate browns.

The leather notes are much closer to Serge Lutens Daim Blonde or Parfumerie Generale Cuir Venenum, than to Knize Ten or its likes.

Strangely enough, it reminds me of Andy Tauer’s LDDM in mood.

Despite the masculine associations with the leather accord, I find it to be a unisex fragrance. I don’t think this is something you would wear to underline your gender attributes.

veteverian.wordpress.com

Roge'
Roge'

....and why is Creed more popular? The hype surrounding 1740 is real. The unfamiliarity of this house is unreal. 1740 smells really good; not an opinion..a fact. Unfortunately, I didn't inherit the leather like most people instead i got a big dose of powdery and floral accords. Longevity is 10+ hours; sillage is massive for about 2 hours. I wish this house would get its just due.

anguslairdmcangus
anguslairdmcangus

OVERALL RATING: * * * *

A dilemma: what does one do if the fragrance is divine but its name is abhorrent? Answer: Love it anyway...and use abbreviations.

1740 M.d.S. is full of light and grace. Fine leather, aged under a northern European sun, creamy labdanum (my favorite note), prickly immortelle, vanilla candy. It is a delicious ensemble that somehow does evoke the fading days of the glorious French monarchy...

Almost 50 years later, the "deluge" would come, and the Pandora's box of radical nationalism, nihilism, intolerance, and ideological expansionism would be unleashed upon the world via the odious French Revolution. Our simplistic, revisionist history tends to cast the French Revolution as a perhaps slightly less dignified version of the American War of Independence. We tend to omit the instances of mobs of Jacobins disembowling priests after forcing them to rape nuns, the mass slaughter of the Vendee, the chaos and desperation of the Terroir, and of course the inevitable rise of Napoleon's dictatorship. History is a continuum, not the series of quaint, unrelated vignettes presented in American history textbooks. The French Revolution was the beginning of the slaughter that ended--one hopes--in WWII.

And De Sade? Well, he was not exactly the enlightened-but-persecuted sexual adventurer some moderns wishfully present. He was a deranged, thoroughly corrupt nihilist who saw no value or dignity in human life. Other people were mere instruments of pleasure. He was nothing but a serial killer with good PR. Naming a fragrance after him is not so far removed from naming one after Jeffrey Dahmer, who also took his "pleasures" in the suffering of those weaker than him.

So...I will not honor the Marquis by associating his name with this glorious fragrance, which celebrates life, order, and natural pleasure. To me, it will be simply 1740, an homage to the era that the Marquis and his admirers the Jacobins destroyed forever.

As for the scent itself, it is utterly unique in my experience so far. Complex, pungent-yet-creamy, totally natural. There is sex in it, but it is not all about sex. It is about human nature, of which sex is a part. But it is also about love of nature and yes even about the soul. This is man as a pure creation of God, Homo Spiritus, not man as the manipulator and destroyer of nature. It is leather, fruit, and flower, not metal, chemical, and machine.

I would have called it "Avant Le Deluge."

Sillage: 5/5
Longevity: TBD

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

Marquis de Sade is a blend floral, mineral, velvety, unique.
Opening fresh green collapsing with heart becomes spicy wooded, the result set is a kind of liqueur, alcoholic, takes me back something like a Port Wine.
Background with a beautiful leather, velvety base and differentiated nuances appear softwoods and minerals, is intense and sober, something superior in all aspects.

Bandit
Bandit

What a beautiful beautiful perfume! I got the mandatory sample set from HdP and this one is the only one I'd say is a masterpiece: Smokey, leathery, balmy, deep, dry and intense with those mouth-watering spices, imortelle and the citrusy elemi resurfacing from time to time. The only downside: When the hell should I wear this (as a woman)? It will be very difficult to pull that off in public. Very sad, I'd love to bathe myself in it in the morning and smell the whole day of it!!! I'm working in the health care system, so it might irritate one or the other patient/client. Damn!

fpih
fpih

Labdanum and leather: a more creamy combination, I cannot imagine and this perfume delivers just this. Creamy, dry, slightly sweet, mellow; a fragrance that makes you want to lick your own skin.

Lasting power pretty good, not sure about the sillage though. Definitely FB worthy, if only I can get to convince myself that this isn't too masculine for me.

42gr
42gr

Absolutely love this (male).

Sweet ambery leather notes

A sweeter analog to Ambre Precieux.

but 1740 does not have that cloying sweetness.

Preferred to Ambre Precieux

4.6 /5

9-na
9-na

The scent is plums, cumin, leather, patchouli, tobacco and coriander on me. I love it when scents are like this.

batkitty
batkitty

Until now I had never met a leather note I couldn't love, but this is it. 1740 starts out with a blast of truly sour, fermented tobacco: the leather notes plus an aggressive sour fruit note (reminds me a little of tamarind or raisins), immortelle, and a bit of patchouli lurking in the background. I tested this hoping for artemesia, birch, elemi, spices, but got none of those, just endless immortelle, my downfall. The sour opening stays around, no matter how other elements arrange themselves, even as they quiet down over time. 1740 sounded great in theory, but WOW does it bother me; I held out for over an hour and finally had to scrub it off.

I see many people truly love this scent, and I can imagine this would smell really lush and compelling on the right person. But the Marquis de Sade has driven me away and I won't be back.

antfarm
antfarm

When I sampled Marquis de Sade last night, I immediately thought: buttless chaps.

Very strong leather with a twinge of bootiness that quickly fades, but still adds a sinfully delightful and distinctive character.

I don't really know much about Marquis de Sade, aside from watching the movie "Quills", but this perfume makes me imagine what would happen if de Sade joined The Village People.

Roshap
Roshap

Starts out quite leathery but not in a good way. Soon becomes woody (cedar) but, again, not in a good way. Then, like tubereuse animale, turns into a slightly urinous tobacco...forever. I would say not in a good way, but I'm not sure that there is a good way to smell like a combination of pee and a just opened pack of cigarettes. Kind of begs the question...who likes this? Apparently a lot of people do! I'm not judging, just wondering aloud. I'm always fascinated (sincerely) by the love that many people have for so many fragrances that I dislike. Lots of you must find some of my tastes prosaic and/or even vulgar at times or otherwise unappealing. As with so many others, I'm in the minority on this one. Not for me.

mendwillie
mendwillie

It's a great mix of labdanum and leather notes are more prevalent and it smells really amazing on my skin.
Lately're tricky to find a good fragrance that has as its keynote the leather in the middle niche that does not smell of old car seat. But not here this fragrance smells like leather car that smells like a leather innovative and well mixed with labdanum and elemi. I'm passionate about it and not get tired of smelling my skin.

I rank it well:
Smell: 10/10
Projection: 9/10

lauraapadron
lauraapadron

If youre a woman and try this on you think "yep...totally unisex. balmy and a little sweet" but then the hours pass by and it smells like dryyyyy wood. dry dry wood, like Home Depot aisle 11 smell. So I'm sure women aren't going to be a fan of this...or anyone...maybe a chipmunk.

adrienn99
adrienn99

you don't need to be a mazochist to enjoy this :) It is a nice and more assertive take on amber (i.e.labdanum). It is not the syrupy amber that tends to get too much but its more mature and stable brother here, supported by woody notes and leather, creating the impression of a slightly burned amber. Very long lasting, been wearing this for 8hrs now and still going strong.

Recommended for all men who like their frags subtle and classy.

KajiraSuzanne
KajiraSuzanne

While I think that the Divine Marquis would have preferred Incense Avignon as a fragrance, this is a delightful masculine that I would not mind wearing myself....just the fact of the name is enough to make me want it, but the scent really is delighful. I also detected a hint of absinthe in the mix, very nice indeed!

Kamet1973
Kamet1973

This is lovely but I wouldn't say Marquis de Sade. I think the type of Man this represents would have a Manor House and invite me in from the rain, sitting me in a comfortable leather chair by the fire with a warm dry gown, slippers and a Brandy. The air would be filled with the smell of fragrant pipe tobacco. It's cosy and I don't think there are any whips in the closet...or is that what he wants me to think? On the downside we have to remember that we have probably come to this site because we are discerning, we have taste. Most people just won't get it. I tried a sample for the 2nd time last night and it didn't go down well I must say.

laph
laph

1740 is one of my favourite fragrances and, dare I say it, a modern masterpiece

This fragrance has wonderful depth and volume. The opening combines bergamot, coriander and the high register notes of cedre – you could not call this “fresh” however as sweetness, booziness, leather and naughty spices form the opening too. Cumin and cardamom play they’re dirty little games while the birch and woody notes support the leather undertones. I can understand why some might call out incense however it seems to be more of a fleeting impression than an actual part of the composition. There is a slight persistence of the softer bergamot elements between the opening and the mid offering a soft tone to the dryer spicy woody aspects.

The sweetness is a little syrupy but not cloying despite being reminiscent of maple syrup or molasses. The booziness is not entirely specific but it does give off a somewhat dry sweet liquor impression; something akin to oak aged rum or port pipe aged whisky.
1740 does not change drastically during wearing but the middle phase does see some development. The little there is of fresh notes retreat and the spices are turned down allowing a greater overall balance. The sweetness loses its syrupy edge and moves into a subtle amber accord. The tobacco and leather are still there in dryer incarnations. There is a slightly peppered note but I’m not sure if it’s black pepper or an aspect of the patchouli combining with the cumin and dry woods. Certainly it helps add to the perception of tobacco’s presence. This is where the fragrance is at its best– the warm Indian spices, immortelle , tobacco, dry leather and amber swim and dance on the skin and it smells oh so wonderful and comforting. It’s the olfactory equivalent of a big warm hug from your SO or burying your nose and forehead into the nape of your lover as you cuddle up at night.

The drydown sees a further drying of the composition. A somewhat gritty but non head shop patchouli has been at play all the way through but it seems more prominent now with the immortelle, spices, tobacco and leather still rumbling along, albeit at a lower volume. All in all a masterful unisex masculine; hah!
1740 has moderate projection and excellent longevity.

rosecat
rosecat

I'm absoltuley smitten with so many of the fragrances of this house, this would have to be my favorite leather. This fragrance on me warms up immediately, melting into my skin, its like melting butter! There is sweetness from vanilla, elemi & cedar. Im not picking up patchouli or corinander, but rather the sweet honey immortelle ( like maple syrup) & soft cardomon notes in the heart, the leather is constant a soft creamy buttery kind. Its a snuggle scent, a "sexy" scent, a comfort scent and yes it can exude a confidence. I know its listed as a mens perfume, but this surely is unisex, on me its just perfect, not typically masculine. I should mention perfumes turn "sweet" quite easily on my skin, I'm picking up a lot of caramel & maple syrup...yumm! I recommend trying this if your after a sweet buttery leather perfume. Yummm full bottle for me!

jtd
jtd

Perfume genres are based on composition (components): chypre (oakmoss), floral, gourmand, fougere (coumarin), oriental (labdanum), fruitchouli. Sometimes these categories are helpful. They hold together. For instance, I like chypres and I don’t like sweet gourmands. But there are exceptions that make the compositional genre approach less effective. That is, I’m inclined to like fougeres and I generally don’t like aquatics.

In my head I tend to use other qualitative categories that feel more functional to me. 1740 falls squarely into one. 1740 is large, full, expansive, rich. It’s rumbling, church-organ harmonious, full-bodied. Typical of the conundrum of talking about perfume, although I have a clear image of what this sort of fragrance is, I don’t have a good word to name it, to describe it. My fall-back is Huge Fucking Perfumes. The fragrances in this pseudo-genre aren’t necessarily alike in structure, they just wear similarly for me. They tend to fall into two subcategories: chewy/boozy (Mauboussin by Mauboussin, Kiss Me Tender, Daphne Guinness, l’Ombre Fauve) and dry (Sikkim, Mahora, Yatagan, Aromatics Elixir, Cuir d’Iris.) Some have a foot in each camp like Aramis’s JHL and Havana.

1740 is a huge fucking dry perfume. Leathery and tobacco-ish, dense but expansive, rich but not bubbly. This sort of fragrance tends to get pigeon-holed with aspirational gender goals. ‘It’s the sort of fragrance Cary Grant, Morgan Freeman, George Clooney...would wear.‘ Since gender is really fantasy, the original war/role playing online-game, with the gaming community historically being humanity, let’s expand the field. 1740 is the sort of fragrance that Michelle Wie, Jane Goodall or Gwen Eiffel... would wear. Worn for yourself, it’s the center point between cozy and stimulating. Worn for others, it projects confidence and contentment. For me, perhaps even more than other fragrances, a huge fucking perfumes deserve to be worn primarily for yourself. Others liking it, or not, is beside the point.

Descartes
Descartes

Cloying suffocating immortelle and plum diluted in maple siroop, which gives the boozy like note. I can’t stand immortelle specially when dominates the whole concoction. It would be nice as a soda drink but not as perfume.
I am missing the coffee,woods and rose accords.It doesn’t make justice to Marquis de Sade, I guess Mr. Gérald Ghislain, the perfumer behind HDP never crossed the line.

fazli ikram
fazli ikram

i Find the fragrance is totally astounding..initial burst remind me of a patchouli splash perfume which i smell as a kid in 1979...the sweet nuance of the cardamon, woods smell really make me addicted to smell my arms...i read in basenotes that it has been reformulated, with leather been tone down an not worth it...well to me it worth it..i can still smell the leather faintly hwne it dries down the leather smell is stronger but it takes couple of hours, i guess the leather lover is impatient to smell it:-), to me a good perfume takes time to develop, like cooking..if you rush it, the food taste is spoiled...and i like the composition now..may buy another bottle:-)

ThatMakesScents
ThatMakesScents

Initial blast is stewed dried fruit with a light alcoholic base. Most noticeably apricot and prunes. This is pleasant but on the verge of "do I want to smell like dried fruit".

15 minutes later the dried fruit smell falls backwards and you are left with an old musty leather smell. It reminds me of leather from a second hand store . Not a quality leather smell that you would find at a boutique .

That phase lasts for only a few minutes then believe it or not this juice turns into BANDIT ! I kid you not. It is more subdued with just a tad more spices. However you can't help but recognize the unforgettable BANDIT which lurks within this fragrance.

I liked the dried fruit /boozy opening very much. I wish it went in that direction.

Subtle fragrance. I can't imagine this being a macho powerhouse like I expected.

Paid $8 to smell this. I should have bought chinese food :)

LufuFaerydae
LufuFaerydae

Dirty, just how i like it. old cigar boxes, spices, musky leather chairs in a dim lit room. im too young for this to be nostalgic for me..but it is, and i love it.

armaniboy
armaniboy

Fetishistic opening, rum and leather.1740 does not remind me of M7 AT ALL.NOTHING.the basenotes slightly remind me of a less honeyed more vinegary version of absolue pour le soir by Kurkdjian.Pretty linear on my skin, i get lots of leather.deep, dark, black, slightly sweaty-powdery leather. A dry comforting sort of sexy-something worn type of smell.I keep smelling my wrist and all i get is: worn leather belt ready for some spanking ;)A VERY interesting olfactive creation for special nights.

michelernst
michelernst

1740 is for sure a MASTERPIECE. This fragrance reminds me of an antique wood box with a melted licorice inside. The dry down is when the immortelle note appears which is like maple syrup.

OZ
OZ

This is indeed dark and mature.
The opening was a bit harsh and sweet. I get cherries, leather, some sort of liquor and lots of raisins.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

Raspy, dry, sweaty leather with a touch of bitterness. A very masculine scent but some women would get away with wearing it too, and enjoying it. This is absolutely enthralling, but I wouldn't have thought it as decadent or cruel like the Marquis de Sade. A bit naughty, bold and devil-may-care maybe. This should be in any leather lover's wardrobe.

Has lasted 14 hours on the back of my hand, and still going strong. Can detect similarities to Cuir de Lancome and Chanel's Cuir de Russie in the drydown.

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

Well this opens with a boozy cumin/oakmoss type of smell and then gets leathery with what smells like brown sugar mixed in. I do not know what to make of this one
as I'm now picking up a mahogany woody smell with spices mixed together. This is unequal to me that I have not smelled its like before.

I got to say it does have that old world vibe going on and you could imagine people wearing this hundreds of years ago. As time moves on It goes from a boozy spice
to a leathery sweet tobacco with that mahogany woodyness.

I do like it and the opening does remind me of Puredistance M before it moves in another direction with its boozy/leathery spice.

So to sum up this one is a very boozy spicy leathery woody masculine fragrance that lasts nine to ten hours on my skin. Its unequal and has that old world vibe to it.

Wega
Wega

I'm having a reaction to this perfume that I cannot at all account for. It makes my heart swell with love - it smells precisely like my dear late grandmother's bureau in her home in Geneva, Nebraska.
I am getting a bit of dust, very vintage cosmetics, her coral plastic Goody hairbrush, a couple of cheap chiffon headscarves, Grandpa's cherry-vanilla pipe tobacco, and off to the side - a shelf of well-loved books and a collection of National Geographics from the 70s and 80s. And yes! A little leather pouch containing her mascara - a rectangular box with a strip of solid, gummy mascara and a brush.

How bizarre! I thought 1740 would be a naughty, sexy, dark indulgence. But instead, I feel a little guilty or actually naughty, like grandma caught me going through her dresser drawers. (She wouldn't have cared if she did catch me.)

Whoah. 1740 is a success in every possible way. I'm astonished. Immortelle is not entirely pleasant and it does in fact smell like burnt sugar, not just caramel; it's a brilliant way to suggest Sade. There are so many kinds of instruments heated and applied to so many surfaces in Sade...and 1740 goes as far as a patently pleasant product might dare to go in suggesting something patently horrific. Dancing on the razor's edge. Possibly the idea was actually to suggest a Sadean Satanic mass rather than torture: Success again! A really daring scent to create; to have not fallen flat on one's face in the attempt is extraordinary. Because it smells great, as good as Knize Ten or Bandit but sharper, harder, more depraved and dark, the scent equivalent of Alexander McQueen's gloomiest pagan designs. It's black leather rather than brown. It's as exciting as the Forbidden Gaultier collection of 1988 and just as out-there and thrilling to wear. With, apparently, much the same concept behind it. I've always thought that Bandit was extremely pleasant and not even vaguely challenging and comparing now to 1740 I have to say I think I was right. This is the Bandit reputation made real. And despite the darkness it's the smell of Tamara de Lempicka's auto-portrait as well as much as Tabac Blond or Knize Ten are(or were), like, you know--the thrill of the new circa 1926. Same as other perfume masterpieces it creates a long frieze of wonderful associations across the mind's pediment. Really actually psychedelic.

Smells as 17th century as it does 18th. Draughtsman's Contract bridles and perfumed gauntlets with really massive cuffs.

Or like a kidney belt from Scorpio Rising.

Take your pick.

Having said all that it has another less exciting side to it that occassionally come through: cardigan-wearing, pipe-smoking reassuring kind of guy, the Country in Town and Country or Country Life; same concept as Equipage.

michael
michael

Well said Lucyredshoes. That's exactly the feeling I get when I wear 1740 and couldn't have stated it any better except my drink of choice would be a nice single malt scotch "neat".

Histoires de Parfums 1740 is a bountiful floriental leather perfume with lots of texture and enough spice to balance the dark leather note. I would compare this composition favorably with 1876. Both are just gorgeous and have a chypre side, in this case thanks to the labdanum and patchouli notes. The presence of cardamom also contributes to a texture similar to one that I've encountered in several modern chypres, although this one is darker due to the leather. Clearly suitable for guys and gals alike, I find myself unclear once again as to why this perfume is categorized by the house as “made for men.” There is so much oriental and chypre activity here characteristic of women's perfumes, in fact, that only the leather renders this unisex. Anyway, it's beautiful. That's the important point! Highly recommended for those who love oriental chypres with a light touch of leather.

lucyredshoes
lucyredshoes

Very masculine scent. All wet fresh cherry pipe tobacco and old leather bound books with a bit of brandy near a roaring fire place. Tobacco, leather, booze and spice covered wood.

I've to be honest, I expected something more challenging, or maybe I should say I expected something different. Don't get me wrong, this is an AMAZING juice but considering the concept and inspiration behind 1740, I was ready for a stark, austere leather concoction. Instead 1740 is quite an easy wear. An extremely pleasant sweet pipe tobacco fragrance enriched by a very classic leather accord and a bold immortelle note. Sublime, well crafted and endlessly wearable but very far from the sadistic imaginary evoked by De Sade. In the end we shouldn't forget that the term "sadism" has its roots in the marquis's name and 1740 evokes everything but sadism.

On the other hand, if you think about De Sade as a character devoted to libertinism, decadent luxury, sinful behaviours and extreme lasciviousness, 1740 perfectly fits the bill.

That being said, 1740 settles at the top of luxurious masculine fragrances as one of the most fitting examples of "pure pleasure". It's not so easy to find a masterpiece in contemporary perfumery but if I'd have to chose one to present as a candidate I'd go for 1740. Incredible sillage and lasting power (almost 24hrs on my skin).

Rating: 9-9.5/10

soupygirl3
soupygirl3

Well, this is the male version of Chanel's "Cuir de Russie" where CdR is sophisticated hot leather (if that can happen). 1740 is dry fireplace ashes, dust from the attic, a leather belt, and freshly turned garden soil, during a very dry spell. Underneath all the dry ashes, dirt, dust and leather creeps up something a bit medicinal with a peek of citrus. But like turning the soil under, any kind of "freshness" dissipates quickly. I'm giggling at the prospect of smelling both scents in the same room at cocktail hour!

Light dry leather with spices and a faint masculine citrus. Fades down to Very nice dry leather with the same spices. Very nice actually. Not really cruel or dirty enough for de Sade, but smells rather like an elegant, true gentleman. Mr. Darcy, maybe, or Mr. Knightly

donniekaterina
donniekaterina

The perfume is dark and kind of kinky.It has an animalistic taste.I am smelling cigarettes and leather.Also it may has a touch of rum or better absinth.

Chandramukhi
Chandramukhi

Histoires de Parfums is an amazing house, in that it really captures moments of the past, or the essence of a character, as they are represented in our imagination. For example, 1969 is heavy and very "sixties" and sexy, like a sweatin Alain Delon in Purple Noon. It is joyful and yet dramatic.
Eugenie de Montijo smells like the old dusted velvet curtains and furniture in Versailles, Little Trianon, when I visited it.
The house was established in 2000, not in 1740 as is written on this site. 1740 is the name of one of their creations, recalling the ill-famed Marquis de Sade. It is a strong, very incensed and deep fragrance; it is a torture to wear it.

1740 Marquis de Sade by Histoires de Parfums 4.29 out of 5 based on 347 ratings and 67 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Histoires de Parfums 1740 Marquis de Sade fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Histoires de Parfums 1740 Marquis de Sade, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify 1740 Marquis de Sade by Histoires de Parfums. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of 1740 Marquis de Sade by Histoires de Parfums represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.