Designers » F-H » Oriental Spicy « Groups

1899 Hemingway Histoires de Parfums for women and men

1899 Hemingway Histoires de Parfums for women and men
dislike

cinnamon

1899 Hemingway by Histoires de Parfums is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for women and men. This is a new fragrance. 1899 Hemingway was launched in 2013. The nose behind this fragrance is Gerald Ghislain. Top notes are bergamot, juniper and black pepper; middle notes are orange blossom, iris and cinnamon; base notes are vanilla, vetiver and amber.

Bergamot Juniper Black Pepper

Orange Blossom iris Cinnamon

Vanilla Vetiver Amber

Spicebomb

1899 Hemingway Fragrance Reviews

Rerik
Rerik

This smells like Spicebomb. I have a dupe of Spicebomb, which tries to smell like Spicebomb, but comes closer to 1899.
This fragrance starts with a blast of spices, which remind me of tobacco smell. After a while the juniper and the florals in 1899 gives it a tea note.

Casavulva
Casavulva

Very Nice!

The top notes are not the thing here, focus instead on the vanilla-amber base with a floral-spicy mix on top that takes the oriental in a gourmand direction.

What those flowers and spices are, I'm not sure to be honest. Orange blossom and iris some external reviewers claim, and juniper, cinnamon, pepper, orange, and so on. To me it is a perfectly blended mix of all those. And luckily they yet again left out the excessive sweets so common in todays industry.

The base is more vanilla than amber. A warm, sensual, gourmandish fragrance, perhaps even interesting if you want to explore Hemingways travels.

Even better than 1725 also!

9,1/10

Vincents1278
Vincents1278

I left a review on Luckyscent a while back where I praised this for it's old world dandy violet scent. I still love the scent but now, as I have a large sample from TPC, I see that there's more vanilla than I'd have liked and a bit of an oriental modern feel I could have done without. I still enjoy this, though. Love the iris/violet/orris that stays throughout and wish it was a little stronger and sharper.

My main issue is longevity. For an EDP, I would hope that Histoire could find a way to make this a little more long-lasting.

klaaon
klaaon

I first smelled and bought Hemingway 1899 before i got acquainted with Spicebomb.... When i first smelled Spicebomb i thought at least the opening were similar, but when i eventually acquired Spicebomb and did a side by side, i realise that they even the opening is not that similar after all... at best a similar vibe - Hemingway does it better for sure!

cseybert
cseybert

This is way better than Spice Bomb. Something about it I can't place it.

Great!!!!

WhoNose
WhoNose

I have a sample of this and it smells just like spicebomb.

williamvargas
williamvargas

testing a small sample, pretty much as people describe.. seems to be a lighter type of fragrance just spraying on some, one that I think you could go a little heavier with to get some projection but what I do get is pleasurable settles soft and closer to the skin for me , I like the fragrance in itself and would wear this.. trying to figure out what this is like, I would not call it sweet although there is some sweetness in the fragrance, sort of reminds me a bit of annick goutal eau du sud but not as strong as that right off. more of a herbal smell but it does sit closer to the skin, I probably would like this more than sud on the opening. overall interesting and likeable fragrance. I see the comparisons to spice bomb..? not sure about that , and overall was not my cup of tea.. I get some similarities of carthusia's numero uno a bit but only when you really breath in the fragrance off my skin. it does have it's own personality so different enough from all of those to me....this is just based on what I have handy to compare it to, and different enough that I would say it is it's own smell.
I would give it a thumbs up, but need to play with more.
this is a great smelling fragrance though and I would proudly wear this.
I could end up loving this one more than those. classy ..very..

mossyoakpenn
mossyoakpenn

This one opens with a lot of fresh green and cinnamon. The green takes a back seat and vanilla joins in shortly thereafter. This one does smell a little like Spicebomb but to me, this is a LOT more like Eau des Baux. Then deep into the drydown it still smells of Eau des Baux. Very nicely done.

curtmaster
curtmaster

Love this, can't wait to get it.

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

The comparisons to "Spice Bomb" are quite superficial. Although similarly sweet in the opening, the latter dissolves quite quickly into a watery tobacco and residual cinnamon that lasts about 2 hours.

"1899" has, like all HDP offerings, that signature voluptuous quality in which you can really feel the punch of each ingredient quite clearly. The pepper and juniper give a fresh piney clarity to the opening. After this, the orange blossom dominates, shifting between floral sharpness and honeyed, tangerine-like sweetness, before the powdery cinnamon and iris develop. There are even similarities to almond marzipan as the vanilla hums through.

A balmy, mellow scent which could be considered more unisex due to its strong floral notes, but its woody spiciness is still probably more appealing to men.

It lasts considerably longer too. So no competition really. Have yet to try the other noted cinnamon contender "HiM" by Hanae Mori, but I will update when I do. So far, "1899" wins my vote.

blauriche
blauriche

I don't know, it's not totally identical, but there are moments when its resemblance to Spicebomb is undeniable. This one seems more elegant to me, but personally I find them so similar I'd find it redundant to own both of them.

Buysblind
Buysblind

This an excellent oriental that is easy to wear and keeps away from the typical pitfalls of so many in its genre. At no points is it heavy, overbearing, or excessively powdery. While it exudes a classy, quiet sophistication, 1899 is ultimately an amiable composition that avoids encumbering itself with an unnecessary sense of formality or ostentation.

It opens with a deftly balanced accord of juniper, cinnamon, pepper, vanilla and iris. The juniper is sweet and airy and sort of hovers over the top of the other notes. The iris, of the plasticky, lipstick variety found in Dior Homme, plays the background and provides a solid compliment to the spiciness of the cinnamon and pepper. The first couple of hours are sweet, airy, lively, spicy, and even aromatic. There is nothing dense or plodding about 1899, nothing oppressive or dull. It is enlivened with a particular light vibrance owed to the skill of its perfumer, Gerald Ghislain. It's a great way to start things off, and the quality of this composition is evident right from the start.

The opening accord persists for some time, and as the middle stages develop, a soft vetiver emerges and the vanilla moves more toward the front of the composition. The vetiver adds depth and serves to temper some of the sweetness of the base notes (vanilla, amber). This is where the fragrance finally rests, in a comforting combination of vanilla, amber, iris and vetiver. A day-time comfort scent; lively and sweet; cozy, but not sleepy.

This has quickly become one of my favorite oriental fragrances. I find it so easy to wear at pretty much any time of the day. A lot of times, I find that rather than wearing orientals, orientals have a tendency to wear you if you're not careful. They can become oppressive, their opulence intrusive and overshadowing. That's never the case with 1899, and if you've been put off by orientals for the reason I just described, but like the idea of their basic structure and notes, this could be a great choice for you.

Longevity is very good, as I typically get anywhere from 8 to 10 hours. Projection is perfect, with about an arms length of radiance for the first 5 hours. Regarding gender, I would classify this as a masculine scent, leaning toward unisex.

In relation to Spicebomb, the sweetness of the opening accord is quite similar, and I understand why the comparisons have been made. I'll admit, it's the first thing that came to mind when I tried 1899. And both feature prominent cinnamon notes in their heart. But that's where the comparison ends. 1899 is altogether lighter, livelier, and stays on the side of florals and woods, whereas Spicebomb moves toward tobacco and leather. In my opinion, it's also more sophisticated and well-composed than Spicebomb (which I've owned, and like). They are really not that similar in the end.

To summarize, 1899 Hemingway is a great offering from Histoires de Parfums that can be worn easily during the day or night. It features an excellent structure and balance of notes and may be the perfect fragrance for someone who likes their orientals on the lighter, more approachable side versus the denser, more formal.

Fantastic!

Jasminalia
Jasminalia

Not a outrage at all, this perfume is a real spice...bomb

bcoops
bcoops

About 30 mins in, and I know its an outrage but spicebomb does come to mind, but like others said,its done better. I'm getting a good dose of cinnamon on my skin.Actually let me say ALOT of cinnamon which I'm enjoying. I get vanilla lurking in the background but the cinnamon is stealing the show right now. It seems kinda close to the skin, obviously can't comment on longevity at this time.So far so good!

asher.jessie
asher.jessie

Comparing this to Spicebomb is an outrage :p There's no comparison between this gorgeous essence of heaven and that overrated V&R stereotypically-masculine garbage.

1899 is masculine in the most beautiful, unique way. There's some sweetness, some spiciness, and some sensual floral/woody notes that really offer a little bit of everything in the chase of crafting a perfect representation of who Hemingway really was. He wasn't all about the sass and the booze, like everyone thinks. At the end of it all, Hemingway was the Renaissance man of the early 1900's, and to me, was a symbol of elegance, wit, and what a man should be. This is why he's my biggest inspiration, so naturally, I HAD to spend $220 on this masterpiece.

To my nose, I smell mostly Iris, Juniper, and Vanilla. Combining sweet, powdery, and aromatic notes creates a gorgeous meta-accord that dominates the entire fragrance, with some woody vetiver, peppery freshness, and bursting opulence from the bergamot.

This fragrance is a journey that takes some time to unfold. The opening is very sharp and fresh, and I smell mostly bergamot. The heart is my favorite, because of the gorgeous spicy Iris scent...and it settles down with delicious amber and vanilla, which are prevented from being too sweet by the smoky vetiver.

Well-crafted is how I would describe this fragrance at the end of the day. I'm proud to say that this is my new signature. Sorry, Angel...but it's time to represent my biggest man-crush EVER. Good job, Histoires.

Sonder_and_Dance
Sonder_and_Dance

This is a much (so very much) better version of Spicebomb. Less in your face and more beautifully composed. Leave Spicebomb to the youngsters, 1899 is all man.

KajiraSuzanne
KajiraSuzanne

1899 hit me with a strong blast of bergamot and juniper, which was delightful as I enjoy both those notes very much indeed!
Then it becomes spicy, powdery and rather sweet, with an ambery/vanilla drydown which is almost too conventional but is saved from being "the same old, same old" by the vetiver.
Longevity is impressive, and the sillage is quite good. I received numerous complements on this fragrance.
While in a way I am glad they did not resort to the usual Hemingway clichés of whiskey and tobacco, I do sort of wish there was something in this scent that was more associated with Hemingway in some manner. Perhaps a whiff of leather or gunpowder?
Anyhow, it is a delightful unisex fragrance.

deadidol
deadidol

More often than not, this brand misses the mark for me, and Hemingway's a bit of a snooze. When HdP step outside they box, they truly innovate, but too many of their scents strike me as pleasant, run-of-the-mill affairs that are solid value for money, but aren't contributing anything new. This is a mildly boozy oriental with a powdery iris note and a hefty amount of spices. There are some floral undertones that are met with a dry fruit note to spin the scent as opulent, but it's linear and doesn't really do anything to distinguish itself from the more powdery offerings of Dior, ByKilian etc. Also, the connection to Hemingway is a total mystery as there's nothing rugged, troublesome or even narratalogical at work here, and it's certainly not very masculine or virile. With that said, it's a practical addition to the line as it's big and amiable, bearing notable similarities to Bois d'Argent, but it's not going to have much appeal for those who are hoping for another Petroleum, Marquis de Sade, Ambrarem, or Ambre 114. Durable and great value (another one of HdP's strong points), but ultimately too pleasant, too powdery, and too prosaic.

Dakkuwan
Dakkuwan

I got a sample of this perfume and applied a small test amount on my arm. It is creamy, vanillic, and pleasantly spicy. You can tell they did not skimp on the raw materials budget!

The fragrance reminds me of an old library suffused by the ocean air which is oddly appropriate for a fragrance inspired by Hemingway. This fragrance also reminds me of Amber Oud but I find 1899 to be better balanced and less gourmand with its spice notes. That being said this is still dipping its toes into the tropical waters of a vanillic oriental gourmand but I wouldn't think food full bore.

Overall I think this is an excellent fragrance and if you like Amber Oud this one is half the price.

9-9.5/10

L'Anarchiste
L'Anarchiste

This is a great oriental scent with spicy top notes!

Middle notes & dry down are very similar with Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille! (You can also find some similarity with L 'Artisan Fou d'Absinthe and Pure Havane.)

I am sure that 1899 will very soon become signature scent for many people! For those, who like sweet, amber & vanille oriental scent!
10/10.

1899 Hemingway by Histoires de Parfums 4.25 out of 5 based on 112 ratings and 20 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Histoires de Parfums 1899 Hemingway fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Histoires de Parfums 1899 Hemingway, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify 1899 Hemingway by Histoires de Parfums. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of 1899 Hemingway by Histoires de Parfums represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.