Designers » F-H » Oriental Spicy « Groups

1899 Hemingway Histoires de Parfums for women and men

1899 Hemingway Histoires de Parfums for women and men
dislike

cinnamon

1899 Hemingway by Histoires de Parfums is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for women and men. 1899 Hemingway was launched in 2013. The nose behind this fragrance is Gerald Ghislain. Top notes are bergamot, juniper and black pepper; middle notes are orange blossom, iris and cinnamon; base notes are vanilla, vetiver and amber.

Bergamot Juniper Black Pepper

Spicebomb Extreme

1899 Hemingway Fragrance Reviews

Kraemer
Kraemer

If you own Spicebomb and are curious about this one, make sure to order a sample first. As mentioned in many of the comments below, Hemingway is very similar to Spicebomb and many people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two.

The top notes are virtually identical. Juniper and Cinnamon dominate the first four to five hours of development, but after that, nothing else really happens. A soft vanilla enters the mix for a short time, but it quickly fizzles out.

Spicebomb, though unapologetically synthetic, would be my choice between the two. Better development, nuclear projection, sillage and longevity.

RedFairy
RedFairy

I've been sampling this off and on this Fall and I adore it. I love the warm spice and sweetness. I find it a gorgeous, cozy Fall scent. But am I crazy or does it have a serious black licorice note? There isn't one listed but I swear I get licorice.

SirCharles
SirCharles

The moment I smelled this, it was "ooh, Spicebomb.....next contestant".

jeffwithfrags
jeffwithfrags

Tried this one finally and, just pretty disappointed.

It's a complete doppelganger for HuitiemeArt's Liqueur charnelle and I really don't dig the 'brite' ringing floral or maybe gin-booze like accord in here too.

It just cuts any thick, syrupy sweetness (that I do get on the eventual drydown) and stops it from being an ambrosial comfort scent to more, dare I say designer-like vibe.

It's even cooling, oddly, it seems it's the juniper and pepper accords mixing and makes a 'minty' off-note.

I feel some lemon then the 'brite (hint of mint)' accord quickly kicks in and then the spices (cinammon) start that familiar Huitieme theme.

A pretty large sucker-punch for the longish wait to try another hype-machine. Sorry.

Rating: 5/10.

AllieJ
AllieJ

I just got a sample of this and I am OBSESSED. It smells like a better, stronger version of Byredo Gypsy Water. Bergamot in the opening and then fir, vetiver, cinnamon, some vanilla. Might get rid of my Gypsy Water and replace it with this.
Much stronger and lasts far lomger, as well.

rainbowpickett
rainbowpickett

Aquatic, citric rosy vanilla musk. Discreet, pleasant, classic, transparent, slightly powdery and unspecific. I can sense the mentioned details in the composition only at close range. All in all they don't play a formative role in the general performance of the perfume. If you like it shy and vanilla - which is probably a rare combination - you will enjoy this and more by HdP.

YouSmells
YouSmells

If Spice Bomb is Sam Kinison and Andrew Dice Clay...

...1899 is Sam Kinison's wife and Andrew Dice Clay's gay lover.

dlane1953
dlane1953

A light-hearted spicy oriental that's invigorates the senses. An herbal, peppery opening leads to a light floral heart and a warm vanilla and amber dry down. Totally unisex, long lasting (over 10 hours) and moderate silage. A mood-lifting fragrance that's easy to wear in warm weather.

acep
acep

It smells like christmas! Since I wear christmas sweaters year round and drink mint mochas almost everyday, this is a scent for me. I swear I can smell christmas ham baking and piles of cinnamon desserts.

However, it does smell a lot like spicebomb. And while 1899 has some nuances that I prefer over Spicebomb; I'm not sure if I want to smell like every other person out there.

ConsumerThis
ConsumerThis

My goodness. This is so amazing. It does remind me of spice bomb and Huitieme Art Liquer Charnelle but this is by far the best as the spice has been taken out or reduced majorly! I own them all and this is how they are rated to me
1899 > Liquer Charnelle > spicebomb
Of course spice bomb is the synthetic spice mess with no longevity, but still is a great smell. Huitieme art killed that composition and smells amazing and lasts a long time, then there is this perfect perfect scent. It's everything I look for in a fragrance, it's niche and it's oh so amazing.

black_orchid
black_orchid

It is very beautiful perfume and almost delicious on my skin. It reminds me of cold winter and christmas time of the year, pine trees and desert with cinnamon. Wish it could be more long lasting on my skin but still very good!

Ninulia
Ninulia

I love Tom Ford Tobacco and Vanille, and find it very similar. I think it is a Unisex, although I would definetily fall for a guy who would wear this.

Cauda Pavonis
Cauda Pavonis

Fresh, zesty opening over a refined woody base. Leans a bit to the masculine side with all those aromatic notes but the iris and orange blossom gives it an almost Guerlain-like feel, especially after the juniper calms down. It works amazingly well! As it dries down it loses some of it's charm but it's still a pleasant, cola-like oriental. A very wearable "light" oriental. Crisp but soft, zesty as well as sweet, light-hearted but still mature. Another wonderful offering from a great house.

b.gracious
b.gracious

Scent - juniper berries, cinnamon, iris & vanilla.

Season/Time of Day - I can wear it in the warmer months, day or night.

Projection - I did get noticed, it garners compliments.

Longevity - I get 8hrs consistently.

affiknitty
affiknitty

Love the initial distinct juniper scent; every time I see a fragrance with the word "gin" in it, I am hoping to smell exactly this. Dries down to a nice warm amber. To me, this is like "delicious boyfriend smell in a bottle" but definitely wearable by women.

agentj
agentj

When I first tested this, I thought it was fresh and herbal smelling. However, after about half an hour, it started to smell familiar. It took me a few minutes, but I realized it reminds me of Bath & Body Works Juniper Breeze. Granted, it's a much more natural and high quality scent, but still, the dry down is similar. I like it a lot, but probably won't buy a bottle.

Leonco Aaron
Leonco Aaron

This morning I gave a good try to this fragance before going to work.
After a few moments I was somehow shocked, that nice cinnamon that filled the aire was quite familiar, oddly enough the day after I had worn Spicebomb and (you know how explosive the handgrenade is...) I thought that my senses had soaked on it so I checked here in Fragrantica and, not without relief, I read that it was not only me but other fragance lovers have had a similar experience.
Don't get me wrong, this fragance is lovely, very well crafted and a must for cinnamon lovers (honestly is the note I feel the most), the only downside for me is that I already have another fragance that reminds me of it.
Furthermore, when going a little deeper I would say there's a subtle change since in this one cinnamon is mixed with Juniper and Vanilla and in the other one there's pepper in a higher degree, that gives 1899 a different hint, milder I'd say.
Sorry for too much Spicebomb talking, but for the personal experience I've had it was necessary to mention it, this is the first fragance I've tried from Histoires de Parfums, I'm looking forward the next one!

EDIT: About six hours later is still working as skin fragance, it feels subtle but really nice cinnamon vanilla aroma.

esyboss
esyboss

با سلام
درنگاه اول و مخصوصا در شروع کار شاید نشه هیج تفاوتی بین این عطر و اسپایس بمب ویکتور اند رالف دید ولی بعد از مدتی متوجه میشید که این عطر از بالانس کاری بهتری برخوردار هست.

این عطر ملایم تر٬ شیرین تر و پودری تر هست . رایحه غالب دارچین و ادویه بهمراه وانیل است که هرچه می گذره دوز وانیل و دارچین بیشتر میشه و در اخر میشه مقداری وتیور رو حس کرد.

ماندگاری عطر تقریبا عالیه و پخش اش هم ۳-۴ ساعت رو جواب میده.هرچند در این زمینه درمقابل رقیبش حرفی برای گفتن نداره.

تست این عطر رو به کسانی که عاشق عطرهای اسپایسی هستند واز اسپایس بمب سرخورده شده اند توصیه می کنم. هرچند به شخصه مشکلی با اسپایس بمب ندارم.

همیشه معطر باشید. دی:

Ouch!
Ouch!

Hmmmm the first one I'm reviewing from my discovery set. Not super impressed with this. I can firstly say this goes absolutely nowhere in hot weather. I wore it on a recently holiday and it vanished off of my skin within the hour.

I get a balanced combination of cinnamon, pepper, grassy tones and something slightly balmy from this when it's wet.

It smells more masculine that feminine for sure. The whole thing is warmed up by vanilla and amber, which stop the spices from becoming too feisty. The juniper gives a herbal edge to it also, but it's a soft herbal edge.

When it dries it sweetens up, and the vanilla/amber combination washes over the anything that's spiky and keeps it calm and pleasant. That's all it is though...pleasant.

It's not something I would buy at all, I feel like I've smelled it before.

marie333
marie333

Le concept est très original: annocier le parfum aux évènements ou personnalités historiques. Le packeging est aussi très attirant. Le parfum est idéal pour les hommes/femmes grâce à la vanille, cannelle, fleurs d'oranger, et du bergamote. à porter au printemps, en été. J'adore!

our lee
our lee

The dominating cinnamon note makes one instantly think of Spicebomb when smelling 1899. It is, in fact, difficult (for me, at least) to separate them within my nose's mind.

1899 is somewhat deeper- and richer-smelling than Spicebomb - I am still figuring out how and why that is. It is difficult to pick out many other notes than cinnamon, but vanilla and pepper occasionally appear, making this the warm spicy scent as mentioned previously by others. Performance appears to be good; I sampled 1899 along with some other scents and it is the one that is catching my nose the most.

The original 'Spicebomb'. Histoires de Parfums is a solid, reasonably priced brand with many exciting offerings, in my eyes.

banorgue
banorgue

Very comfortable, sensual and lovely smell. Very high quality of ingridients for a resonable price. Vanille gives the warmth combined with the well alluring cinnamon, juniper gives a touch of bitterness and interest, and iris smooth it. Good for any occasion, I would wear it in fall and winter.

smora
smora

From the Hemingway name I expected something tropical, some unexpected usage of mojito vibe and tobacco. All I got is one more Spicebomb. I have to admit 1899 is very nice, but already smelt.
The beginning is characterized with herbal notes and pepper, then followed flowery cinnamon. The base is ambery with nice vanilla. It's very attractive, modern, with very good performances and safe. For the name Hemingway stands for action, sweat, rum and ultimately blood.

Rating: known ****

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

On the opening you can smell bergamot and lots of cinnamon which is soon joined by vanilla and juniper.

It's a very soft spicy scent which does not really change from the dominating cinnamon and vanilla. Here and there you can smell the juniper and a soft floral note.

1899 is very pleasant with average longevity but it's not very exciting and it is let down by poor projection.

To sum up a pleasant subdued soft spicy cinnamon and vanilla fragrance that just needs that ooommphh to make it more exciting.

juji
juji

I don't know much about Spicebomb, but this is just spicy gorgeousness! I'm not good at getting each and every note but I can say this; I'm very, very picky and especially when it comes to my beloved orientals and this one is marvelous! Nothing masculine, harsh or screechy on me at all! Very unique, fairly strong " kissing cousin " of Coco, and the like... I'm testing from a large decant sent by a generous friend and really enjoy every phase! Just gorgeous and I'm saving the last few mls for this winter .

sleepy*weasel
sleepy*weasel

A strong fruity spice, plenty of cinnamon but not harsh; although no fruit note is listed, it's in there - apple possibly . After reading that this is "Hemingway" (it was a blind sample) my nose insists there are tobacco and whisky notes. Now, is that the power of suggestion, or a genius alchemical mix of notes which suggest those things? That's entirely possible, this House turns out some wonderful niche scents, very creative, imaginative and well-made. It's not for me (fruity spice is not my thing) but I can say that it's very high quality stuff, lasts well, and if fruity spice is your thing - it's an absolute must-have. Many hours on, the vanilla and amber team up with the cinnamon on a soft drydown, which is pleasant and making me hungry for gingerbread. Recommended.

sum888er
sum888er

apple comes first with cinnamon. then mastich vanilla cigars and caramel. then neroli and more and more. development keeps on for hours. what a poem in a bottle!!! way too classy!!! longevity is perfect but sillage is moderate. state of the arts things should be polite and discrete.
warm and calming potion. treat yourself like a king. put this on and go for a dreamy nightsleep.
Perfection!!!!!!

tennis3040

10 for 10. Masterpiece.you won't be sorry. Great longevity,silage

pepperoniann
pepperoniann

I'm a sucker for juniper and I adore Ernest Hemingway so I knew I had to try this. 1899 turns out so perfect that I have to write a quick blurb to praise it.

This perfume is centred around couple of drops of fresh sweet vanilla essence dripping onto a bundle of cinnamon sticks and juniper branches. It's spicy and sweet, but also very aromatic. 1899 dries down to a sweetened vetiver nuance with rest of the notes tucked in the background to lift 1899 through its 8-hour life. The sillage is moderate turning soft, but warm temperature amps up the trail pretty well.

I find this a very suitable scent for spring time and summer evenings, and although the dry down does lean masculine (which is why I ain't wanting a FB for now) I still think this a good unisex fragrance for girls who like neutral fragrances. Kudos to Histoires de Parfums for such a wonderful creation.

Anacrusis
Anacrusis

I absolutely love the marketing concept of Histoires de Perfumes. 1899 was a real eye opener for me. A really well composed, relatively unique, high quality fragrance at a good price point with limited availability.

Identifying scents with historical figures is nothing less than genius. Personally, I think far too much emphasis is put on the absolute fragrance composition, subordinating image and imagination for pure scent, silage and projection.

Where I feel manufactures miss the boat is in not embracing the otherwise "shortcomings" of a scent and opening themselves to direct comparisons. If longevity isn't great, sell the idea of using an atomizer. We do it with breath sprays, why not perfumes? I don't just want to be Hemingway in the morning after my shower, perhaps I want to refresh the idea in my mind and in the minds of those about me, during the course of the day. Longevity, silage and complexity aren't values, they're characteristics and maybe sometimes I don't want to project, perhaps I only want to share myself with a loved one.

amer1212
amer1212

1899 Hemingway Histoires de Parfums "The hype of Uniqueness "

"Hemingway" its like a Cuban fruity cigar rolled by spices (pepper & cinnamon) with beautiful touch of iris & neroli with hints of amber & vanilla in the depth that's makes it little woodsy & powdery delicious.
simple , harmony, captivating & perfect blended with sensual natural aroma .

That takes "Hemingway1899" at another higher level of the hype & makes it more sophisticated than the others in the same genre ( tobacco spicy sweet scents).
Its a modern ,quite smooth fruity spicy scent , with brilliant quality .

Ps: i tried "spicebomb" its good designer scent and it has similarities with "hemingway1899" in some stages in the notes but it has also differences too , I dont see it a copycat of spicebomb! Hemingway1899 its richer upper class aroma , smother more wearable , natural and better blended with niche character and far away better in all way and sophisticated ! , spicebomb its more synthetic chemical lower quality scent , but in a good way with decant pristance and weak character , and comparison with those two scents its not fear ! like the comparison between the diamond and silver in the ( price ,quality uniqueness , luxurious etd..) in my personal opinion.

captivating & unique.
10/10.

deeyork71
deeyork71

Objective: Masculine spicy fragrance with great longevity (12+ hours). Sillage is polite.

Subjective: This is a very high quality and easily likable fragrance. It's not too exotic. In no way is it offensive. It's masculine but I would not mind this at all on a woman in the same way I wouldn't mind seeing her meander around the house in my dress shirt and some panties.

Conclusion: Very high quality and good value for a niche ($125 for 60ml). Clearly not a designer fragrance. Long lasting autumn scent for guys. Highly recommended.

NOTE: I get the comparison to Spicebomb. Can't deny the similarity. But try this; one spray of 1899 on the right wrist and one spray of Spicebomb on the left. Almost immediately the difference is apparent. 4 hours in the $40 extra for the 1899 won't even matter. They are not even close to being the same product. 1899 is deeper, richer, longer lasting, and more natural than Spicebomb by a long shot. Collectors want the best. And $125 for 60mls is a bargain for a great niche fragrance.

RUDOLFO512
RUDOLFO512

1899 Hemingway is a very nice and cozy spice based cologne. Yes, I agree it smell a bit like Spicebomb BUT with a kick. I smell vanilla, cinnamon and spices at the beginning. Then it settles down to a warm spice that I love. On me it lasts a very long time. Spicebomb does not last as long and is not composed the same as this treasured beauty.

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

It's pretty much a soft Spicebomb. The sillage is not as big making this a Fraiche version. I have not heard of many niche copying designer scents but this is evidence. If you think Spicebomb is too loud and should be worn by the younger folks then spend hundreds more and get this. I am not one of these people. A big thumbs down!

Rorshach1004
Rorshach1004

1899 Hemingway is a spicy, fruity cinnamon fragrance with a soft vanilla base. First off, this isn’t the same scent as Spice Bomb by Viktor & Rolf. The spice in 1899 is much softer than the strong black pepper in Spice Bomb, and combined with the fruity berries and vanilla it has more of a gourmand feel to it, especially on the dry-down where I got floral notes that reminded me of the tuberose in Carnal Flower by Frederic Malle. These notes give the fragrance a feminine touch that I wasn’t expecting, especially when you consider that the fragrance is based on the life of the overtly masculine writer Ernest Hemingway. Back to the comparisons between 1899 and Spice Bomb though, as I feel the comparison is useful. Spice Bomb is a cold weather, outdoors, attention getting, strong spicy. 1899 is more of a warm your hands by the fire and have a mince pie kind of scent. Both are perfect for the cold winter months and Christmas, but they have different qualities that mark them out as very different scents rather than as competing rivals. Spice Bomb is probably going to get you more attention, but there’s a subtle softness and warmth to 1899 that whilst missing a wow factor, is quite pleasant, very nice and not at all bad. I really don’t know about the Ernest Hemingway connection though. That doesn’t quite work for me. Hemingway himself was an alpha male masculine type of guy, and this scent is probably a bit too flowery and feminine in it’s base to have the image of the big bearded boxing and bull fighting Hemingway attached to it. It’s a nice scent, but I don’t get the life of Ernest Hemingway here at all.

Rerik
Rerik

This smells like Spicebomb. I have a dupe of Spicebomb, which tries to smell like Spicebomb, but comes closer to 1899.
This fragrance starts with a blast of spices, which remind me of tobacco smell. After a while the juniper and the florals in 1899 gives it a tea note.

Edit:
Yes, it smells richter than Spicebomb and the juniper is very prominent.

Casavulva
Casavulva

Very Nice!

The top notes are not the thing here, focus instead on the vanilla-amber base with a floral-spicy mix on top that takes the oriental in a gourmand direction.

What those flowers and spices are, I'm not sure to be honest. Orange blossom and iris some external reviewers claim, and juniper, cinnamon, pepper, orange, and so on. To me it is a perfectly blended mix of all those. And luckily they yet again left out the excessive sweets so common in todays industry.

The base is more vanilla than amber. A warm, sensual, gourmandish fragrance, perhaps even interesting if you want to explore Hemingways travels.

Even better than 1725 also!

9,1/10

Vincents1278
Vincents1278

I left a review on Luckyscent a while back where I praised this for it's old world dandy violet scent. I still love the scent but now, as I have a large sample from TPC, I see that there's more vanilla than I'd have liked and a bit of an oriental modern feel I could have done without. I still enjoy this, though. Love the iris/violet/orris that stays throughout and wish it was a little stronger and sharper.

My main issue is longevity. For an EDP, I would hope that Histoire could find a way to make this a little more long-lasting.

klaaon
klaaon

I first smelled and bought Hemingway 1899 before i got acquainted with Spicebomb.... When i first smelled Spicebomb i thought at least the opening were similar, but when i eventually acquired Spicebomb and did a side by side, i realise that they even the opening is not that similar after all... at best a similar vibe - Hemingway does it better for sure!

cseybert
cseybert

This is way better than Spice Bomb. Something about it I can't place it.

Great!!!!

williamvargas
williamvargas

testing a small sample, pretty much as people describe.. seems to be a lighter type of fragrance just spraying on some, one that I think you could go a little heavier with to get some projection but what I do get is pleasurable settles soft and closer to the skin for me , I like the fragrance in itself and would wear this.. trying to figure out what this is like, I would not call it sweet although there is some sweetness in the fragrance, sort of reminds me a bit of annick goutal eau du sud but not as strong as that right off. more of a herbal smell but it does sit closer to the skin, I probably would like this more than sud on the opening. overall interesting and likeable fragrance. I see the comparisons to spice bomb..? not sure about that , and overall was not my cup of tea.. I get some similarities of carthusia's numero uno a bit but only when you really breath in the fragrance off my skin. it does have it's own personality so different enough from all of those to me....this is just based on what I have handy to compare it to, and different enough that I would say it is it's own smell.
I would give it a thumbs up, but need to play with more.
this is a great smelling fragrance though and I would proudly wear this.
I could end up loving this one more than those. classy ..very..

mossyoakpenn
mossyoakpenn

This one opens with a lot of fresh green and cinnamon. The green takes a back seat and vanilla joins in shortly thereafter. This one does smell a little like Spicebomb but to me, this is a LOT more like Eau des Baux. Then deep into the drydown it still smells of Eau des Baux. Very nicely done.

curtmaster
curtmaster

Love this, can't wait to get it.

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

The comparisons to "Spice Bomb" are quite superficial. Although similarly sweet in the opening, the latter dissolves quite quickly into a watery tobacco and residual cinnamon that lasts about 2 hours.

"1899" has, like all HDP offerings, that signature voluptuous quality in which you can really feel the punch of each ingredient quite clearly. The pepper and juniper give a fresh piney clarity to the opening. After this, the orange blossom dominates, shifting between a slightly soapy floral and honeyed, tangerine-like sweetness, before the powdery cinnamon and iris develop. There are even similarities to almond marzipan as the vanilla comes through.

A balmy, mellow scent which could be considered more unisex due to its strong floral notes, but the woody spiciness is still probably more appealing to men.

It lasts considerably longer too. So no competition really. I have tested all the other noted cinnamon contenders - "Gucci Pour Homme II", "HiM" by Hanae Mori, Victor & Rolf's "Spicebomb" and Odin's "Semma", and I can conclude that "1899" is easily the best.

blauriche
blauriche

I don't know, it's not totally identical, but there are moments when its resemblance to Spicebomb is undeniable. This one seems more elegant to me, but personally I find them so similar I'd find it redundant to own both of them.

Buysblind
Buysblind

This an excellent oriental that is easy to wear and keeps away from the typical pitfalls of so many in its genre. At no points is it heavy, overbearing, or excessively powdery. While it exudes a classy, quiet sophistication, 1899 is ultimately an amiable composition that avoids encumbering itself with an unnecessary sense of formality or ostentation.

It opens with a deftly balanced accord of juniper, cinnamon, pepper, vanilla and iris. The juniper is sweet and airy and sort of hovers over the top of the other notes. The iris, of the plasticky, lipstick variety found in Dior Homme, plays the background and provides a solid compliment to the spiciness of the cinnamon and pepper. The first couple of hours are sweet, airy, lively, spicy, and even aromatic. There is nothing dense or plodding about 1899, nothing oppressive or dull. It is enlivened with a particular light vibrance owed to the skill of its perfumer, Gerald Ghislain. It's a great way to start things off, and the quality of this composition is evident right from the start.

The opening accord persists for some time, and as the middle stages develop, a soft vetiver emerges and the vanilla moves more toward the front of the composition. The vetiver adds depth and serves to temper some of the sweetness of the base notes (vanilla, amber). This is where the fragrance finally rests, in a comforting combination of vanilla, amber, iris and vetiver. A day-time comfort scent; lively and sweet; cozy, but not sleepy.

This has quickly become one of my favorite oriental fragrances. I find it so easy to wear at pretty much any time of the day. A lot of times, I find that rather than wearing orientals, orientals have a tendency to wear you if you're not careful. They can become oppressive, their opulence intrusive and overshadowing. That's never the case with 1899, and if you've been put off by orientals for the reason I just described, but like the idea of their basic structure and notes, this could be a great choice for you.

Longevity is very good, as I typically get anywhere from 8 to 10 hours. Projection is perfect, with about an arms length of radiance for the first 5 hours. Regarding gender, I would classify this as a masculine scent, leaning toward unisex.

In relation to Spicebomb, the sweetness of the opening accord is quite similar, and I understand why the comparisons have been made. I'll admit, it's the first thing that came to mind when I tried 1899. And both feature prominent cinnamon notes in their heart. But that's where the comparison ends. 1899 is altogether lighter, livelier, and stays on the side of florals and woods, whereas Spicebomb moves toward tobacco and leather. In my opinion, it's also more sophisticated and well-composed than Spicebomb (which I've owned, and like). They are really not that similar in the end.

To summarize, 1899 Hemingway is a great offering from Histoires de Parfums that can be worn easily during the day or night. It features an excellent structure and balance of notes and may be the perfect fragrance for someone who likes their orientals on the lighter, more approachable side versus the denser, more formal.

Fantastic!

Jasminalia
Jasminalia

Not a outrage at all, this perfume is a real spice...bomb

bcoops
bcoops

About 30 mins in, and I know its an outrage but spicebomb does come to mind, but like others said,its done better. I'm getting a good dose of cinnamon on my skin.Actually let me say ALOT of cinnamon which I'm enjoying. I get vanilla lurking in the background but the cinnamon is stealing the show right now. It seems kinda close to the skin, obviously can't comment on longevity at this time.So far so good!

asher.jessie
asher.jessie

Comparing this to Spicebomb is an outrage :p There's no comparison between this gorgeous essence of heaven and that overrated V&R stereotypically-masculine garbage.

1899 is masculine in the most beautiful, unique way. There's some sweetness, some spiciness, and some sensual floral/woody notes that really offer a little bit of everything in the chase of crafting a perfect representation of who Hemingway really was. He wasn't all about the sass and the booze, like everyone thinks. At the end of it all, Hemingway was the Renaissance man of the early 1900's, and to me, was a symbol of elegance, wit, and what a man should be. This is why he's my biggest inspiration, so naturally, I HAD to spend $220 on this masterpiece.

To my nose, I smell mostly Iris, Juniper, and Vanilla. Combining sweet, powdery, and aromatic notes creates a gorgeous meta-accord that dominates the entire fragrance, with some woody vetiver, peppery freshness, and bursting opulence from the bergamot.

This fragrance is a journey that takes some time to unfold. The opening is very sharp and fresh, and I smell mostly bergamot. The heart is my favorite, because of the gorgeous spicy Iris scent...and it settles down with delicious amber and vanilla, which are prevented from being too sweet by the smoky vetiver.

Well-crafted is how I would describe this fragrance at the end of the day. I'm proud to say that this is my new signature. Sorry, Angel...but it's time to represent my biggest man-crush EVER. Good job, Histoires.

Sonder_and_Dance
Sonder_and_Dance

This is a much (so very much) better version of Spicebomb. Less in your face and more beautifully composed. Leave Spicebomb to the youngsters, 1899 is all man.

KajiraSuzanne
KajiraSuzanne

1899 hit me with a strong blast of bergamot and juniper, which was delightful as I enjoy both those notes very much indeed!
Then it becomes spicy, powdery and rather sweet, with an ambery/vanilla drydown which is almost too conventional but is saved from being "the same old, same old" by the vetiver.
Longevity is impressive, and the sillage is quite good. I received numerous complements on this fragrance.
While in a way I am glad they did not resort to the usual Hemingway clichés of whiskey and tobacco, I do sort of wish there was something in this scent that was more associated with Hemingway in some manner. Perhaps a whiff of leather or gunpowder?
Anyhow, it is a delightful unisex fragrance.

deadidol
deadidol

More often than not, this brand misses the mark for me, and Hemingway's a bit of a snooze. When HdP step outside they box, they truly innovate, but too many of their scents strike me as pleasant, run-of-the-mill affairs that are solid value for money, but aren't contributing anything new. This is a mildly boozy oriental with a powdery iris note and a hefty amount of spices. There are some floral undertones that are met with a dry fruit note to spin the scent as opulent, but it's linear and doesn't really do anything to distinguish itself from the more powdery offerings of Dior, ByKilian etc. Also, the connection to Hemingway is a total mystery as there's nothing rugged, troublesome or even narratalogical at work here, and it's certainly not very masculine or virile. With that said, it's a practical addition to the line as it's big and amiable, bearing notable similarities to Bois d'Argent, but it's not going to have much appeal for those who are hoping for another Petroleum, Marquis de Sade, Ambrarem, or Ambre 114. Durable and great value (another one of HdP's strong points), but ultimately too pleasant, too powdery, and too prosaic.

Dakkuwan
Dakkuwan

I got a sample of this perfume and applied a small test amount on my arm. It is creamy, vanillic, and pleasantly spicy. You can tell they did not skimp on the raw materials budget!

The fragrance reminds me of an old library suffused by the ocean air which is oddly appropriate for a fragrance inspired by Hemingway. This fragrance also reminds me of Amber Oud but I find 1899 to be better balanced and less gourmand with its spice notes. That being said this is still dipping its toes into the tropical waters of a vanillic oriental gourmand but I wouldn't think food full bore.

Overall I think this is an excellent fragrance and if you like Amber Oud this one is half the price.

9-9.5/10

L'Anarchiste
L'Anarchiste

This is a great oriental scent with spicy top notes!

Middle notes & dry down are very similar with Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille! (You can also find some similarity with L 'Artisan Fou d'Absinthe and Pure Havane.)

I am sure that 1899 will very soon become signature scent for many people! For those, who like sweet, amber & vanille oriental scent!
10/10.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Histoires de Parfums 1899 Hemingway fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Histoires de Parfums 1899 Hemingway, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify 1899 Hemingway by Histoires de Parfums. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of 1899 Hemingway by Histoires de Parfums represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.