Designers » F-H » Oriental « Groups

Chantilly Houbigant for women

Chantilly Houbigant for women
dislike

Chantilly Houbigant for women Pictures

Chantilly by Houbigant is a Oriental fragrance for women. Chantilly was launched in 1941. The nose behind this fragrance is Marcel Billot. Top notes are fruity notes, neroli, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are spices, carnation, jasmine, ylang-ylang, rose and orange blossom; base notes are leather, tonka bean, musk, benzoin, oakmoss, vanilla and sandalwood.

Fruity Notes Neroli Bergamot Lemon

Angelfire

Chantilly Fragrance Reviews

magnolia_xx
magnolia_xx

To me, this is a fragrance that Rose from Titanic could have used. Powdery, subtle, elegant. I smell citrus, jasmine, fruit and vanilla.
When I smell it I imagine a beautiful girl sitting at her dresser, getting ready for the evening ball, applying a little (very very little!) bit of "rouge" on her cheeks and lips and feeling very grown up.
It also smells quite similar to a perfume my Grandmother used to wear when she was young, "Contessa Azzurra": I found a vintage bottle of this fragrance from the Fourties on ebay, and with great trepidation I opened it and tried it. Incredibly, in spite of many decades, it still smelled lovely.
So, what else can I say? Chantilly may be old-fashioned but its beauty still shines.

Kahill
Kahill

Houbigant Chantilly, vintage formulation, is the lasting, memorable Chantilly,

The Dana re-formulated version is a cheap, insulting hack of a fragrance and sullies the name and reputation of Houbigant Chantilly.

Mistressvoodoodolly

Oh, I agree with ricepritchard, the Dana dusting powder is quite nice but I don't like the lotion. El cheapo smello.

Mistressvoodoodolly

This is about the parfum vintage Chantilly. I realize now why I adore it so. It's so similar to the original Coco, the citrus being a major difference. But the orange blossom, rose, benzoin, leather, musk, tonka bean, oak moss, sandalwood - all there. You must try the parfum strength to see this. The citrus always stays with Chantilly. It's a shame such a renowned House like Houbigant has so deteriorated. But good things are on the way. They just came out with a lovely orange blossom fragrance which is getting stellar reviews. I can't wait to try it, it's my favorite single floral note. For now, Fall is coming and my spicy Chantilly will keep me warm during the day, and at night her big sister Coco.

Deppaholic

My mother loved this and it was her signature fragrance. The new version is not the same. I just don't get it. Back in the 70's you could get drugstore perfume, Charlie, Tabu, Navy, Chantilly, and I know I'm forgetting some, oh Emeraude, and they smelled fantastic. Now, it's hard to find a decent priced fragrance at the drugstore. Even if the higher priced ones are still locked behind glass, most stuff today is so prostituted out. Damn that IFRA. I think there are more important things to worry about than messing with a woman's perfume! Like who's watching out for UFO's, or doing that alligator counting business to make sure there aren't too many of them! Argh! This used to be a lovely lovely fragrance. Same as those others mentioned, and oh yes, Ciara, that used to be a real stunner also. As I read in one post, the things they could get their hands on back then compared to today. Ah, what a shame. I think it was safer then, then now when they pretend to be all regulatory in their white coats with rubber gloves on. Fortunately enough there are great frags out there, but boy do they ever cost a whole paycheck anymore, who can afford that nowadays?

ricepritchard
ricepritchard

Chantilly is Quelques Fleurs softer, younger, less complex "little sister". It is a very sweet perfume that is very fleeting once applied. Houbigant's Chantilly was deeper, richer, stronger, and more complex than the Dana version but when you smell both and compare you recognize the fragrance similarity. Thankfully Dana makes both a lotion and a bath powder so a woman can "layer" this fragrance to make it last a few hours rather than using the perfume and lasting only a few minutes. This is another good value from Dana.

drugstore classics

In spite of my original assessment of Chantilly as an autumn scent, I've discovered - oh the surprise! - that she is equally at home at the beach. Since that discovery, I've learned that salt water and sea air are not the only things that blend well with this lovely lady. On my skin she is also at her ease in HEAT and HUMIDITY.

Go Figure!

Tam
Tam

I recently had a week away in a UK seaside town in Cornwall and was visiting an old fashioned chemist to get some travel sickness pills. I was sidetracked by loads of old - mostly reformulated - vintage perfumes e.g. Tabu, L'aimant, Le Jardin etc etc being sold off at bargain prices. I went on a bit of a spree and Chantilly was one of the ones I picked up for £9. It is the Dana version. For what I paid for it, this really is a great smelling fume once you get past the very lemony opening. It dries down to a powdery, slightly spicey scent and to my nose there is a good deal of carnation going on which gives it a vintage feel (anyone remember carnate nail buffing cream? I think of this in the dry down). I know I'm not getting the full picture in the reformulation and I really think Houbigant should reclaim this - in the way they did with Quelques Fleurs - and relaunch the original formulation in all its glory. Oh and I never did get the travel sickness pills - blew all the cash on sniffs - but at least I smelt good wearing Chantilly whilst going green and bilious around the winding lanes in Cornwall...

therealpaloma54
therealpaloma54

The bottles of Chantilly I wear today are those I purchased, at the advice of some perfumista friends, from ebay, and are vintage, probably 50s and 60s. The quality of this juice is wonderful, a classic, perfect Oriental, not too full of the heavy notes which mar Shalimar for me, or with any other strident tones. Comparing this juice to the sweet fragrances of today just shows how much quality was available in those days for not much money. The original Chantilly was not exactly light, and has a richness and heart which I dearly love.

waterbottleisland
waterbottleisland

Not too bad once you get through the harsh, lemon pine-sol opening. I definitely get the similarities to Shalimar. It's still a bit weird on me though-- it smells exactly like Fruity Pebbles cereal!?
(this is the new Dana perfume, I've never tried the vintage)

magie
magie

I wore this years ago as my everyday scent because it smelled good and was affordable. I also wore more expensive and at the time, chic fragrances. The EMT's where all men at that time and the one scent they commented on was Chantilly by Houbigant. I got more compliments on Chantilly that any other, by my male co-workers.

rockegg
rockegg

This has definitely been reformulated since the 70's when I last went through a bottle and I would like to say: good job! I did like the old Chantilly. It was never my favorite but I liked it well enough. The new Chantilly has a more pronounced citrus at the start and the dry down is not quite as spicy. In other words, it's more in tune with popular taste. More of the spiciness seems to come from carnation now. It's powdery and feminine. I would not call it cheap smelling or old lady despite it being relatively inexpensive and around forever.

Fonna2
Fonna2

A vintage classic, but I have to say, I could never wear it.
Even when my father gave this to my mother as an anniversary gift, I remember her letting us smell it, and even then, I didn't like it.

Too sweet, soft, and powdery. Not candy sweet, not soft as in light scented (it's a heavy scent!!), and a few tablespoons of powder, coming right atcha.
It's like a 6 foot prima ballerina in baby pink lace spinning towards you spewing soft powder around in thick shots......lol

I will only say I love it because my mother wore it for what seemed like eons, until White Diamonds came around.

pamelapuffadder
pamelapuffadder

I bought a vintage Houbigant spray and powder set on ebay to give to a girlfriend for her birthday. And it's darling with a feather inside the case.last night I sneaked a few sprays and I have to say this is not bad at all. because it's drugstore I was expecting something overwhelming and nasty. It is strong, so go lightly. But it has delicious layers of spice, flowers, vanilla and powder. I think it's a nice frag for winter. I found it rather comforting. I didn't have to get past any aldehydes or civet like some of the pricey classics. It smells nice from the beginning. I can't compare it to my beloved Shalimar because, there just isn't, truly, anything like Shalimar. But this is a nice, girly but not fruity scent. I would say don't overdue it for public use, and indulge for say, at night n bed.

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

Sometimes, I don't want to confuse people, or challenge them, or educate them about the more exotic realms of the perfume world. I just want to smell, as my husband puts it, "nice." Chantilly smells very nice. It's powdery, but still has a subtle edge, a depth you register with the back of your tongue. It may be good girl, but it isn't naive girl.

sheridanellis

This is a heady, powdery gem. Not my cup of tea, but I can certainly appreciate what you are getting for such an amazing price. Another drug-store masterpiece!
I would go as far as to suggest this could be called, "poor man's Shalimar EDT". It is that good.
Spicy, herbaceous, a healthy dose of oak-moss and benzoin.
This reminds me of 1970 something, & has that back base of a slightly ashy cigarette smell which shockingly enough, I find appealing, since I think cigarette smoke is absolutely disgusting.
My great auntie used to keep several tiny bottles of perfumes out on the back board of her claw foot tub. She displayed them on top of intricate doll-house like crocheted doilies & this scent was one of them. It reminds me of her pretty bathroom in her old opulent Victorian era home in Boston, Mass. & it holds a glimpse of the class & good taste my dear Aunt Millie possessed.
Cheers!

MissPattite
MissPattite

Chantilly is a lovely, wonderful scent. And considering some of the notes involved, a runaway bargain!

It starts of fresh and pretty, and as it settles toward the dry-down just evolves into classic loveliness. It is a very comforting scent, and little 'scent flashbacks' throughout the day are guaranteed to please.

Chantilly is a real bargain; just take a look at the notes list. Many scents with similar, some almost identical lineups cost many times over what a bottle of Chantilly will!!

Also, I realize some ladies have a real problem using drugstore scents. Most are not snobs; they just wonder about the quality. Worry no more. Chantilly is 'not drugstore quality,' nor 'drugstore scent.' Again, just refer to the notes list, ingeniously supplied by Fragrantica on ever scent featured, and you'll be either pleasantly surprised or downright stunned. Chantilly is just that good.

Christmas is an especially lovely time to wear Chantilly. I recommend Chantilly as a fall/winter scent.

bonnie52
bonnie52

This is a bit too powdery for my taste. My aunt wore it exclusively for many years. I am thinking of giving it another try since I hear there was a reformulation. I thought it matched my aunt's personality perfectly back in the day.

fleurdefi
fleurdefi

I got to try this thanks to the lovely MissCupcake1624. When I first put it on, it is harsh and not very enjoyable. However, as soon as it settles, it is wonderfully powdery and old-fashioned. It brings back sweet memories of playing with makeup with my cousin in her grandmother's very pink bathroom. It is perfect for when I am feeling nostalgic. I do have to admit that I like the matching lotion better for everyday. It is a soft, lemony floral that is perfect for after shower on weekends when I don't want to wear a stronger fragrance.

Julesharbor
Julesharbor

It's so unfair! When I was a teenager I bought a big bottle of this as my first perfume purchase. Loved it. Thought I was so grow up wearing it. And then....something I will not describe happened which created a terribly stinky situation in our house and my sister thought my perfume would do a great job masking that odor. You can probably imagine what the resulting mix of yuck and very sweet did to my memory of this scent! Suffice it to say, I did love this scent....but can never wear it again! So sad!

wbp
wbp

I love the lemon and the powdery notes, the spice and the sandalwood.It is well made, no plastic notes, nor artifical notes. It's an old school fragrance, a bit pungent, because of the Oakmoss and very long lasting. If it wasn't for the oakmoss, it wuold be very very nice! :)

zzMaja
zzMaja

Oh, this was disappointing. Not anything like what I wore for years on and off. It was one of my favorites. Did they change it or is this a reformulation that is just not working for me. Tried some of the powder and that seemed more like the scent I remember.

Ivyswirl
Ivyswirl

Review for Houbigant Chantilly EDP (not Dana):

So after picking up a sealed original Houbigant version of Chantilly complete with a houbigant ribbon still, I really did think I'd struck gold, but alas, it was not to be...

Sadly, despite the hype and glowing reviews from some for this perfume in its original state, it just doesn't sit well with my chemistry... On me it smells like a powdery orange flower sweet with some green notes, nothing special or wonderful like I had envisioned.
Also, being too young to remember it originally, or have fond memories of it, the magic is lost on me. On the other hand, the Raffinee that I picked up with it was wonderful, like marzipan and root beer all in one so guess its just this one that isn't for me.

Debra1
Debra1

Chantilly is a shy little wall flower on me, that doesn't speek up for herself, and runs away before she's even noticed, at best if she on occasions speeks up at all, is kinda soapy a little powdery and she might dare in the very least to be a hint of spice, and about 5 to 10 minutes on me I can't smell a thing. The very best thing I can say about her is she never offends anyone. On me I don't even know shes there. If you have the Chemestry that quickly aborbes fregerances and gets blown away by more asertive ssents she might speek up a bit more to you and you miight enjoy her, but if your like me and can't smell shy perfumes save your money.

Pooja37
Pooja37

Like walking on scented air... I received my Chantilly gift set today - the gorgeous powder, the lotion and that heavenly juice masquerading as an edt!

Two small spritzes and a dab of powder later, I left the house to do some grocery shopping. As I reached the checkout counter I realized there was this gorgeous fragrance in the air and thereafter two ladies aked me (with a smile, need I add!) what perfume I was wearing, I realized this heavenly fragrance was emanating from yours truly!

Now this has never happened to me before, not with all my high end, super hyped beautiful collection of expensive fragrances. Sure I've been given compliments before by my loved ones and friends, at work, at parties but never ever by complete strangers at a cash n carry grocery store shopping for veggies! Tells you what I know about perfume! And I have Chantilly to thank for it!

johnsmommy
johnsmommy

I got the small bottles at walmart hoping for a pleasant surprise. It isn't bad, bust smells like dish soap bubbles.

Yuri643
Yuri643

I recently bought a small sample bottle of this and as I try it on my skin it reminds me of Johnsons and Johnsons baby bath the blue one. I guess I'm gonna love this perfume as I have loved the smell of Johnsons and Johnsons baby bath liquid soap.

LeahJane1972
LeahJane1972

When i first apply Chantilly, she smells like powder and musk, but with an old soda kind of scent that is sharp. The sharp scent fades in the first hour and i am left with the powder musk.
I like this, but it would not be something i wear often.

Deppaholic

I see this in the drugstores now, and I don't quite think it's the same as it was in the 70's. My mother loved this, and it did smell good, but it's just a whisp of what it used to be. Albeit, you can smell the 70's but very faintly.

Edit: If I am looking for the vintage from 70's, do I look for cologne or EDP. Also, probably the name Houbigant and not Dana. What sayest thou?

SorceressOfTheDark
SorceressOfTheDark

Lemony soap. After sneezing my way through both the vintage and today's version of Chantilly, I've decided that although it's a nice scent for my dishwashing liquid, I could never wear this perfume. Unfortunately for me, it doesn't wear very well.
Chantilly opens with a basic lemony true soapy scent. About an hour into wearing it, I was able to detect a faint powdered vanilla fragrance still capturing an aroma of citrus zest, reminding me to clean out my kitchen cabinets. That was the vintage side talking gently to me. The newer formulation was screeching lemon-infused brillo pads at me and screaming "Get To Work Now...Or Else!" I decided to dodge the brillo pads being thrown at me and head for the hills.
At this point I can finally use the term "scrubber" for Chantilly in the truest and purest way of Journalism that I have been taught since college. Off to the sink I go.

francisrose

This is the perfume that I receive the most compliments on for some reason! I love this along with Shalimar in the winter, Chantilly being my everyday favorite. I hugged someone recently and they said," Ahh! You smell like Chantilly! I love it!" I go through a bottle a year and I guess I will continue to use this pretty fragrance! If you are looking for a really nice fragrance(inexpensive or not) as a gift this is a great one. Pearls, kitten heels and leather gloves. This one is lovely!

devaluxe
devaluxe

About a year ago, I purchased a gift set of this from Walgreens at a 50% off after Christmas sale. So it was roughly $7 or thereabouts. I got in the car, opened the box, and sprayed myself liberally. *Cough, hack, wretch* I immediately package everything back up, grab my reciept, and march back into the store to return it for something else. I couldn't get home and in the shower fast enough and then tossed the load of laundry into the washer. Fast forward to last night, I'm standing in line at one of my favorite discount stores and I see a beautifully packaged bottle of Chantilly as well as a lovely vintage reproduction on the body talc. Both containers were made to look how the fragrance looked back when it was released in the early 40's. The pure nostalgia of it piqued my curiosity and I tossed them both in the cart, determined to find a way to like it. This time, rather than assaulting myself in the car, I took it home and started with the talc. Soft, feminine, powdery and fresh. Then I sprayed myself on the wrists once and my neck and my first thought was, "Wait, just wait...let it dry down before you formulate an opinion." So I waited about an hour or so and then inhaled deeply. I like it! It's very soft and delicate. Cozy. Once it dries down I get the vanilla and the sandalwood. This morning I took it out for a "test run" and my first stop was for breakfast at Carl's Jr (drive thru). The cashier as she was handing back my ATM inquired, "What perfume do you have on? It smells amazing." I answered, "Chantilly." She asked, "By who?" I told her to just go to any drugstore, they've all got it. She was shocked and thought I had some pricier fragrance on. So, I'm finally converted.

pinkandsatany
pinkandsatany

a pleasant, powdery citrus. nothing to write home about.

Carnation
Carnation

Yet another drugstore classic. This modern version is nothing but straight powder on me. I cannot pick up any notes that stand out. To make matters worse,it is gone in 30 minutes. Not worth it even if it is cheap.

puncturedbicycle
puncturedbicycle

I hope it's okay to write this unorthodox review as I'm not reviewing the scent on my skin as such - I don't have it to hand - but it is a scent I know well yet not at all, and it illustrates the great mystery of fragrance.
I just don't understand Chantilly. There are no notes in the pyramid that should put me off, but irl it is the exact opposite of what I like. (This is my argument against blind buying.)
What I think of when I think of Chantilly is not flowers, resins and lemons but sweet, powdery, amber-rich and choking. I go back and check the notes and there is vanilla, which could be the source of the sweetness, but where is that dusty, powdery suffocating amber note coming from? Or perhaps what I'm picking up on isn't an amber note at all but something else? But what?
I find that sometimes I think I have a handle on fragrance, that I could choose a scent off a menu and be sure to like it, and then I remember Chantilly and I realise I don't have a handle on it at all.

larali
larali

This is pure powder on me, unfortunately. I believe on someone else's chemistry the topnotes would stand out more.

Flowergrl
Flowergrl

When I was a young teenager this was one of the perfumes my mom had that was inexpensive and that she let me try. It seemed like a demure scent, nice to wear to church or school, pleasant and sweet with the lace on the package. Decades passed and I gave it another try. There is a topnote, (bergamot?), that throws me for a second but then it gets better. I have a splash bottle of cologne too. It reminds me of sunshine, a really happy, spring or summery kind of scent. It turns into orange blossom and sandalwood primarily on my skin but with the other ingredients it is complex enough to be interesting. It really does cheer me up and create a joyful feeling.

westernlady
westernlady

From the first spray, the smell of citrus creates warmth and energy. After a few minutes, Chantilly dries down into a spicier floral scent. The florals are not reminiscent of a young girl even though it has a powdery undertone. This fragrance boldy states that it's for an elegant, confident woman. It wears down to a softer vanilla wood scent with a hint of sweetness.

I would definitely wear it during the daytime and I think it's pretty flexible on seasons. The lasting power is close to a full day on me and the projection is moderate. When you first spray it, it can be somewhat loud, but it calms down after the initial dry down.

To me, Chantilly is the quintessential embodiment of a classy lady. While it may not be the most exciting scent, it is definitely classic, pretty and easily wearable.

stormyla
stormyla

This is my favorite fragrance from my childhood as my mother often wore it. She kept her true loves, My Sin and Chanel No5 as her dress up scents, but I always thought that Chantilly smelled the best of all of her fragrances with her particular chemistry. It always smelled so light and airy, flowery, powdery and so feminine on her, I just loved to smell her clothes.

I can still smell her as I sat by her feet playing with a doll while she would stand for hours in her flowered cinch waist dresses in high heels, matching beads and earrings as she ironed my father's work clothes, shirts,hankies,shorts and tee shirts! Then she'd start on the sheets and her slips humming happily to herself and smelling simply gorgeous.

Chantilly's lovely spices would blend well with the warm aroma of the chicken roasting in the oven. These women who went before us were marvelous creatures and the fragrances of their eras truly celebrated their femininity, allure and strength.

Recently I came across two vintage bottles of the parfum, which I didn't realize that Houbigant ever produced that concentration in this fragrance. I was able to identify one as being from the late 70's - early 80's and the other one as being from the late 50's early 60's.

This fragrance in vintage parfum concentration is an entirely different animal. It's no longer light and airy,and it's only slightly powdery. It's warm spicy, woody, resinous with exotic spices and a deep cinnamon note. It has an aura of mystery about it and once again reminds me of what a great perfumer Houbigant was through several centuries.

There are several bottles of the parfum on Ebay ranging in price from $5 to $30. If you love Chantilly, you owe it to yourself to try this enchanting concentration. On me the sillage is very nice, but not extremely loud after the drydown. The longevity on my moisturized skin is unbelievable,lasting a good 24 hours.

roberta.andrade.566
roberta.andrade.566

Chantilly was my first fragrance love when I was a little girl. To this day it brings back fond childhood memories of my adopted sister and me playing at the beach during summer vacations on Cape Cod.

I still wear Chantilly especially when I want to be particularly feminine and classic.

Memories aside, to my nose I would not consider this to be an oriental so much as a slightly aldehydic floral chypre.

The top of the construction with lemon, lime, bergamot, and a fruity trace of aldehyde-C14 peach gives a great initial fizzy burst before settling into the floral bouquet of ylang, rose, white flowers, clove, and carnation forming the heart.

What makes it a true chypre for me is the generous dose of oakmoss, accompanied by musk and sandalwood grounding the composition in a powdery animalic base.

The overall effect is this gorgeous ride through each layer of accords without ever detecting an edge where one ingredient ends and another begins.

Amazing how classic and beautifully constructed fragrances like Chantilly are referred to as "Old Lady". I think those "Old Ladies" at the time were the most in-vogue women wearing the most in-vogue of fragrances.

Like any other part of fashion, fragrances cycle. Maybe it’s time for a rebirth. :)

pipergirl
pipergirl

Chantilly is all spicy, powdery florals on me and I LOVE it. It's ultra feminine and "perfumey", a bit old fashioned and wonderfully nostalgic. I loved and wore this fragrance back in the 70's when I was a young tween/teen and I'll enjoy wearing it now. An absolute classic.

SandraV

@ Lornaluv-It's funny reading your review because I was first introduced to this scent in cologne form-I can tell a big difference with it and the Edt.The cologne is much softer without any sharp edges.It smells cozier to me-just so comforting.I usually get it in a giftset with the lotion.I highly recommend anyone who likes Chantilly to try both versions on as they *are* different.I do like the Edt as well but it can be a bit strong at times.

lisaivette
lisaivette

I love this perfume from beginning to the end.I love the fact that it is not sweet,I don't even smell a hint of vanilla. What I do smell is leather,spice, and orange blossom. Different than what I would usually choose. I've tested it several times, usually with Ciara on the other wrist to compare. Because of this site I am now searching for perfumes with leather and or incense notes. This will be my next purchase. Thanks again Fragrantica!

MsDana
MsDana

This was one of my mothers and GM's favorite perfumes, & I like it too! It is still a lovely perfume that works on ANY age, a teen, young women, middle aged women, and elder women can all wear this lovely scent, that is why it has stood the test of time, a true classic. I remember stealing it from my mom because I liked it so much, my first boyfriend liked it too. It is pretty and feminine and I would proudly wear it today.

Lornaluv
Lornaluv

I first got this one in my early teens back in the late 70s and wore this off and on through to the early 90s. I loved the body wash most of all and kept a big flat round bottle of the cologne.

I tried this one out because the lady at the cosmetics department in Walgreens had heard me tell my friend that I didn't want some of the popular fragrances at the time, she Suggested I try this out,so I did and I fell in love.

I didn't make the connection between this fragrance and the old 50s song until I was at my friend's house for a 50s dance lesson from her mother(there was a lot of interest in 50s things where I grew up). It was my turn to dance with her. As she was going over the steps with me (I can't remember which dance it was anymore)she pipes up Oh! you have on Chantilly! I have just the song! - she put on the Big Bopper and sang along while going through the steps with me.

I also wore this on my wedding day and on my (very short) honeymoon. We were married in summer and I have always felt this was more of a summer fragrance.

After many years of not wearing this(can't remember why),I picked up a 2 pack of tiny bottles at walmart on clearance, one for me and one for my daughter. I had told her about it and wanted to share it with her. I was so excited to get it home and put some on. I got the packaging off and we both sprayed it on generously - and it took our heads off! we had to wash it off due to instant headaches.We both assumed some major formula change.

I told her I would get her something else and she could give me her bottle - she said the bottle was pretty so she wanted to keep it and she liked the stories I had told her about it, so it was something of a keepsake to her. I let her keep it, but I still got her some girly vanilla body spray and she was happy.

Meanwhile I put mine in a drawer and left it there for 3 years.

About a year ago I put it on again and same thing, instant headache! I had to wash it off again and kept the headache all night.

I was wary of this one but started reading the reviews, while not all were positive, some still described the fragrance I remembered. Then it hit me look at the bottle - what potency do I have? EDT! not cologne! I had always worn Cologne.

Now with a much lighter hand and under my clothes- and I have Chantilly once again! It smells just like it used to, no different on me in anyway.

I get the indivdual notes of this pretty much in the same amounts as listed by the other reviewers. This is a complex femenin fragrance. This is strong yet soft, very romantic, sexy in a womanly way, but not overt.The notes change and shift on me throughout the day sometimes lemony, sometimes spicy, always vanilla and sandalwood.

For those who are used to gourmond scents- this is not one of those. This is frangrance as it once was- this is classic - "Old Lady" is insulting, everyone is young and sexy at one time, and everyone grows old in due time.

Now to pry that other bottle from my daughter!

maneki_neko
maneki_neko

I love absolutely everything about Chantilly.

I love the initial lemon and bergamot zest that reminds me of sipping a cold, fizzy Sprite.

I love the spicy, powdery drydown that whispers of orange blossom.

I love the moment at the end of the day when it's just barely there--a skin scent--smelling like rosy soap.

I can't even say anything else. I want to be as inwardly beautiful as Chantilly smells.

VeeNVegas
VeeNVegas

This fragrance is sheer memories in a bottle!
Shopping at KMart with my daughter today, I noticed a beautiful,round, 2.5oz bottle of this that had been marked down to $1.00. I grabbed it and threw it into my cart, explaining to my daughter, who laughed a bit at me buying such a cheap perfume, that this had been my first perfume when I was 14...46 years ago. I wore it all though my teen years and while I was dating her father. It was what I wore the day I married him.

My 2 girlfriends at the time wore the much more daring Tabu and Tigress. I thought those smelled too "bad girl" for me and loved Chantilly. It was sweet and powdery and it's pretty pink lace box made it seem grown-up but not "too" grown-up.

I couldn't wait to spray this and opened it as soon as I got home. I was thrilled to find that it still smelled much as I remembered it. Sweet, powdery, spicy, and just a little lemony. It reminds me a bit of Emeraude or Shalimar...not so sweet as Emeraude, and lacking the smokiness of Shalimar. I think the silage isn't as good as I remember, but it smells really pretty and brings back so many nice memories, I have to wonder why I waited so long to buy it again.

PerfumePatty
PerfumePatty

What a retro scent Chantilly is! On first spray, it was such a familiar drug store classic...I've smelled this many times before. It reminds me of Shalimar - it shares some notes such as the citrus and sandalwood. Shalimar is more of a smoky/sexy nightime fragrance you'd wear to seduce, Chantilly more of a spicy/powdery/soapy daytime scent you'd wear at home/ work/school that would suit all ages; though I can see it being seductive. Remember the Big Bopper song about the high school girl - "Chantilly, lace, and a ponytail hanging down, a wiggle in your walk and a giggle in your talk...makes the world go round"?

I actually don't like Chantilly very much. I don't like Shalimar either. They both are too dry and dusty for me. It could just be my skin chemistry...but I find them unpleasant. I like my perfume on the sweet and juicy side. As one reviewer said, Chantilly ends in the drydown smelling of cheap soap. But it's worth trying this classic for yourself - you be the judge.

b.a.denney
b.a.denney

I just found a bottle of this at a thrift store. It could be old but it smells like I remember Chantilly smelling all those years ago. I don't remember previously having owned it, or if I did I didn't wear it. It is wearing really nicely for me today. Unlike lots of the newer perfumes I have it actually has decent sillage and longevity. I was surprised to read the listed notes here. On me I get a powdery, dusty floral on a pretty strong vanilla base. I don't smell much other than this. It's quite nice though and after all the newer perfumes that fade away so fast I'm appreciating this. I'll see what my husband thinks of it.....

hopebowstar
hopebowstar

The scent of Chantilly evokes emotions. I have worn it since I was a teenager...Don't even remember who gave it to me. I do know, I have forever loved wearing it. My day always went better when Chantilly was in the air. Of all the fragrances I have, this is the only one...ever, that my dear Daddy asked me, "What kind of perfume is that you're wearing?". Then, he went out and bought a it for my Mom as a gift. I was very complimented. Chantilly is a soft, and gentle fragrance. Yet, it has a strength about it that encourages you to be so proud and confident about being a woman. Citrus, balmy, and floral in a very balanced blend.

Libra_Witch
Libra_Witch

My mom wore Chantilly when I was growing up. In my teens I would put a spray or two of moms perfume on just because I loved it so much. Today on my way home I took a chance and stopped by a thrift store to see if they had any perfume and they did. I bought a gift set of vintage Houbigant. It's got a 2 oz bottle of edt Chantilly and a smaller bottle of edp with a perfume solid in a gold colored compact. It was in it's original box. I paid $12.00 for it, I'm glad I did. It's a warm and sexy scent. I think I'm in love!

carlayorke
carlayorke

A drugstore classic for sure. I remember smelling this as a child in a store of the little town near where I grew up. It brings back memories galore. Someone had the body powder in their bathroom, and I used to pat it on myself under my clothes when I was visiting. Wonder who it was, and if they realized a 10 year old was using their Chantilly?
I always thought it was a genteel scent, unlike Tabu, which to my child's nose was like floor cleaner or worse. I'd appreciate it more today, I'm sure.
My memory is dim regarding the scent of this during the 70's but I remember spice, citrus, perhaps a geranium (a carnation, though I think), a powdery kind of smell, and something deeper that I really liked. Maybe the sandalwood? I've been a lifelong fan.
Stumbling onto Fragrantica a month or so ago, I checked up on Chantilly and realized that yes, there really was somthing to that mixture, and bought a small bottle. It is reformulated, apparently, but the notes I remember are there, and I'm a child once more, patting powder on my flat little chest and taking in the feel and scent of it.

red347
red347

HaHaHa, calling this an "old lady perfume" is like calling a 1968 Shelby AC Cobra (vintage, rare, collectable, muscle car) just another "old man's daily clunker"!!!

This is a wonderful, timeless, beautiful fragrance!

Yes, it is an older fragrance. No, its not today's fruity teenage candy fragrance.

Will this work for everyone? Nope, but I am so glad it works for me!

Thank you Rosie for the chance to get to know this wonderful fragrance!!!

evesoho

My other review is so long I didn't want to add an update, even. But I wore Chantilly after using Bath and Body Works Warm Vanilla Sugar body lotion - and the combination is tantalizing.

Update: I was searching online for vintage perfumes ads, and I found one for Chantilly that depicts a woman's face behind a veil of white lace and nothing else! I'm only 32, my interest in perfume is quite new, so I can assure you this image wasn't in my subconscious... yet this is what I wrote in my review below:

"I was lost in this scent, enraptured... like a bride on her wedding night, falling back onto the bed and trying to untangle herself from the beautiful mess of lace all around, skin on fire... This perfume is intricate, but not like lace. It's skin on fire one glimpses under the lace of a wedding dress, and waking up after that first night of love, it's the glimmer of warm sun glinting through lace curtains..."

My nose feels very validated. ;)

craftymom
craftymom

I love this! I love the powder the best and wear it to bed often. It is powdery, vanilla, a little citrus...just lovely. I wear it during the day when I want a comfort fragrance but, mostly, I wear the powder to bed. Nothing exciting. Just comfortable.

evesoho

I knew this perfume would be significant. A few reviews below, I stated: "I want this perfume so badly that my stomach has butterflies when I think of it."
It came in the mail two days later.
All at once I opened the bottle and, in my haste and distraction (my boyfriend was talking to me about something else), I dabbed the bottle right onto my fingertips as if it were a lotion! I've been using spray bottles for twenty years. It hit me hard and fast, and my tummy turned. I kept trying to smell my fingers (I looked ridiculous) for half an hour after that, hoping I wouldn't feel sick again - to no avail. Yes, I was worried, but stay with me here. At the same time, I consider myself of high taste, and since I always give classic works of art a second, third, fourth or hundredth try, I knew I was going to wear it again.
I'm a piano teacher, and in my lessons I teach "ear-training" e.g., I play a tune, they must play it back, I clap a rhythm, they clap it back, I play chords and intervals and have my students name them, back turned. In music class, one learns how to listen.
Chantilly is teaching me to sniff.
There are many pleasing scents out there; I think they're mostly considered pleasant because you don't have to *try* to understand them. I've noticed in many of these reviews people say they more or less wait for the "good part" to come, and justify liking the whole perfume based on that. Imagine coming late to the symphony, just in time for your favourite part, the one with the loud horns and timpani, once the part has past, leaving again before the piece is finished. It's no crime, of course, but if you stick with the piece as a whole, and try to understand the other parts you think you don't care for, you will come to see a depth in your favourite part you didn't see before.
I'm learning not to just breathe and expect Chantilly to do all the work. I envy the people who find this "nice" and "easy to wear".
My grandmother didn't really wear perfume, just one or two-note powders from Marks and Spencer and Crabtree and Evelyn, so I have no pre-existing associations with the scent. My bottle is vintage Houbigant, dark coloured juice, a straight perfume.
What happened tonight when I gave it another try? I was dazzled by lemon (and I generally despise lemon furniture polish and all other lemon scents). Instead of immediately trying to take it all in with a breath, I allowed myself to sniff again just enough to notice that shimmering, shiny lemon, but that was all. I gradually sniffed more out of the scent, little by little; there was the vanilla, and the carnation - oh the carnation! - spices, then my beloved tonka bean. . .
The intricacy of the scent was showing, as I continued to sniff my way through. Suddenly I understood the name "Chantilly"; there was something delicate, involved and fancy about the composition as it was revealing itself. . . like lace (?):
I took breaks, just to breathe normally, then back to sniffing it out:
A subtle whiff of leather, I was looking for it...
That continuous aura, was that oakmoss...?...
By the time I came to the middle accord it was beginning to happen, I was lost in this scent, enraptured... like a bride on her wedding night, falling back onto the bed and trying to untangle herself from the beautiful mess of lace all around, skin on fire...
I believe the heart of this fragrance is jasmine and ylang-ylang. It must be. When I glimpsed this accord, my hands began to shake, my eyes watered, and I whispered, "oh my God."
This perfume is intricate, but not like lace. It's skin on fire one glimpses under the lace of a wedding dress, and waking up after that first night of love, it's the glimmer of warm sun glinting through lace curtains, or your undone hair, or lilting leaves outside the window... or all of the above.

ivi rose
ivi rose

I am reviewing the vintage edp chantilly. A nice comforting fragrance. Bubbly undertones with lemon, powder and sandalwood. Only lasts about 3 hours on my skin. I did recieve compliments that I smelled good at work. A winner when I'm in a soft lemony mood.

evesoho

It's strange, but I want this perfume so badly that my stomach has butterflies when I think of it. I hope to update this comment with a real review someday...soon.

leogirl84
leogirl84

One whiff of this stuff made me grimace; reminds me of the Ciara my mom favors for Sunday church. It's just plain awful; nauseating, stuffy, and overpoweringly aldehydic. A friend gave me the perfume and lotion, and I soon as I opened the box I caught the scent my stomach churned. I hope I don't hurt her feelings by not wearing it.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

I am wearing this right now because someone sent me a little vial of it in a sample swap and I liked it so I decided to spray it on at the mall... and I also remember playing with a small bottle of the stuff (vintage) when I was very young. It is very cheap at the drugstore (like Noa, Anais Anais, Tabu, Navy, toujours moi, etc) but it is a nice little fragrance. I will get a small bottle just for the nostalgia effect. I feel like wearing this to bed, it would be so comforting. It is also quite complex, I was surprised. Fresh and woody, but retro with a nice oak moss and some leather... a true oriental... I was thinking this might even be a little chypre? maybe? I always thought it was a safe and obsolete scent by looking at it, but it is quite sexy and mysterious. I can only imagine the original. Hmmmmmm....

I was shopping today and wearing this on my hand and I kept getting nice swafts of something so classic, soapy or aldehydes or carnation like no5 or older Obsession. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Then I realized it was my hand!! It might be a cheap reformulation, but it still retains some of it old classic vibe. And it almost has a bad girl vibe to it too.. hmm double personality cheapie! A nice find for me. I NEVER thought I would like this.

lspreack
lspreack

I remember liking this perfume. Can't quite remember the notes. I need to find another bottle to try it.

Thatkid
Thatkid

I have this, but have to becareful whom I wear it around, as some people in my life find this quite strong. I think it's very feminine and I really enjoy it. Makes me feel like a lady.

Museumgal
Museumgal

The citrus is opens in a very fresh way, and then it dries down to vanilla and woods, with an occasional whiff of spice. Lasts a long time. Great scent for winter if you like citrus.

Lushylori

It just occurred to me tonight just how complex Chantilly is.
Its always been a fragrance that i classified as being "old lady" but I always kind of liked the scent but when I was younger,i just didn't feel like it suited me very well.
I remember my mom and different ladies from Church wearing this and I always thought that the powdery scent was cozy.
So tonight after a trip to the drug store where they were selling gift sets pretty cheap for Christmas,I decided to pick up a small bottle Of Chantilly to add to my perfume collection and to strike memories of smelling my mom when i was a child :)
I'm actually impressed with this scent now that I've sat down and concentrated on the layers and notes.
Its not just a blast of "old Lady" powder that i previously had associated it with...No...Its a beautiful complex scent that should be appreciated.
My son who is 11 asked me if they tried to make it smell like Ginger ale and i was like>>>Hey...You are onto something here after giving it another whiff...
We both came to the conclusion that the scent we were both picking up on was the smell of those pop bottle Cola gummy candies....I think they are sold world wide so you should get what I mean.
If you own Chantilly,you should go to the Variety store where they sell penny candy (if you can even call it that anymore) and buy a few Cola Bottle gummies and you'll see what I mean haha
I'm glad I gave Chantilly another shot :)
I've always loved the engraved glass bottle as well.Its pretty enough to display.
This perfume is sold a lot cheaper than its worth.
Its a classy Classic for sure :)

Tatilove
Tatilove

After a nice long bath on an autumn and winter night, I usually wear just the lotion and dusting powder to bed. I know it has this reputation for smelling "old", whatevee that means... but I think it has a very comforting smell, as vanilla scents tend to be. I love wearing this fragrance.

weegee

For all lovers of the original Chantilly extrait, there's an internet bargain out there right now that you must consider buying: Micallef refill #11 at around $22 USD for 100mls edp. The juice is dark amber and the fragrance is deep, rich, spiced, complex and boozey/powdery with extreme longevity -- in short, Real Perfume with that true "French" sense.

For days after my bottle arrived I plumbed my scent memory bank for what it reminded me of and then I found my little bottle of Chantilly extrait with its precious few drops remaining and Voila! there it was --nostalgia in a bottle.

Besides, who could pass up 100mls of a Micallef for under $22??

celebrity89
celebrity89

All time classic. I remember the original being thicker. The new one is sparklier, still nice though. Smells just like when my neighbor starts the fireplace, very woody, smoky.

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

Got a gift pack of "Dana" fragrances that included this Houbigant classic. I sprayed it on for church today, and was pleasantly surprised.

It started with lemon; not lemon candy, but almost like lemon tea--mellow and nice. Quickly it progressed to a gentle, spicy floral that. Normally, florals on me are bitter--but not this one, it was well blended and smooth, pretty and a bit powdery. Yes, it had a vintage vibe; and yes the phrase "old lady" came to mind--I think because of the powdery notes, and the strange fact that I am nearly positive I've smelled a similar fragrance in toilet paper! (you know, that vague floral scent that paper is impregnated with). I hope this doesn't sound offensive, because that is NOT what I mean to do. I liked the fragrance and found it pleasant and very wearable. It just gets sweeter as it dries down, where the vanilla starts to peek out just a bit. There's a sturdy, earthiness there too--maybe the leather, sandalwood and benzoin. Longevity was about 6 hours on me (still there, but faint), and sillage moderate.

Later, I refreshed the fragrance and my husband said I smelled like bugspray--then he quikly amended to say that I smelled like Avon's Skin So Soft, and I can say that I agree with that assessment. Chantilly is a similar blend of citrus, spices and powdery florals. It's a classic that is still around for good reason; and the fact that it's been mimicked by so many is just flattery.

Dixie Diva
Dixie Diva

This scent will forever remind me of high school and my first boyfriend. He bought me an eau de perfume and dusting powder set for Christmas (probably without smelling it) and he *loved* it on me. Turns out I did too -- and it and Faberge's Flambeau were my signature scents all though high school and early college. Flambeau is long gone (and I wish they'd bring back the original) and the Chantilly today smells slightly different than it did then (re-formula?), but it is still lovely and brings back so many sweet memories.

Smelly Mama
Smelly Mama

WOW this bottle brings back memories! I haven't smelled this in YEARS AND YEARS!
I remember being subtle, and clean with a hint of floral. Love it :) I'm feeling very nostalgic on here tonight; commenting on old perfumes. :) lol

Shydaniels
Shydaniels

Named after the famed French lace, Chantilly is an "old lady" scent, in the best way. This is a grand old lady with style and grace. It might seem stuffy and old-fashioned to those who prefer bubble-gum celebrity perfumes, but it's really a classic. Just wear it lightly. A little goes a long way.

vintage_scent
vintage_scent

This is a very lovely lady-like perfume. It starts out bold and dries down into a very lovely pink powdery lacy feminine scent. Think being surrounded by tons of powdered pink feather puffs,it's just lovely. An aunt of mine wore this in 80's in her hair. I'm sure I get my taste for powdery vintage perfumes from a my Grandmother and her sisters, they all had such good taste.

This is based on the new formula, not bad, but I plan on getting an old one also.
I love the lemon, and the vanilla softens it so well, and the powdery rose rounds it out.

drugstore classics

At first blast I was shocked at the Harsh opening of this supposedly soft fragrance......but!

I truly wanted to love this gorgeous looking classic. Now, not only do I love it, but It loves Me. Yes, the opening is strong, rapidly followed by one of the most elegant hearts to be found at this price. It is unique, but the flavor reminds me of a Guerlain.

On me this smells of yellow flowers, powder, and a touch of leather, undergirded by sandalwood / vanilla. If I were to name this now, I would instantly choose "Leather and Lace". It's deceptively charming, with a depth from the leather that strikes me as incredibly sophisticated.

I'll be wearing this in the autumn ~ with my pleather jacket ~ and in absolutely every temperature but the dog days of summer. Chantilly has now won my heart completely.

This is backup - bottle worthy!

perhapspersephone
perhapspersephone

This perfume was the perfume of choice for so many of the older southern ladies when I was growing up. It is powdery, gentle and just a tiny bit spicey. I remember my Great Grandmother smelling of this scent. I remember so many ladies smelling of ssoft, powdery Chantilly!

How this takes me back. I love the soft, sweet flowers. I love the powdery texture! Chantilly is just a beautiful , comforting perfume.

IreneLEvans
IreneLEvans

I really dislike this one, there's an "off note" in there that really turns my stomach. I felt nauseous for two days after last smelling it. I wish I could identify this note so's I know how to avoid it in future.

Ladyofthe80s

Chantilly is a beautifully feminine scent that whispers lace and pearls, and is the essence of all things innocent and lovely. Orange blossom, sandalwood, oakmoss, and the wonderful spiciness of this gorgeous fragrance is what lures me back time and time again.

pfcs
pfcs

I remember getting Chantilly (Houbigant) for my sixteenth birthday. I still like it; it is a perfectly nice scent at a reasonable price; I just like other things better. It's a better scent than many of today's creations. Chantilly was reputed to be Pat Nixon's favorite.

It constantly amazes me that all the classic scents from when perfume smelled like PERFUME, are referred to as old lady, or grandma church, scents, or just plain old, on these threads. It is a little insulting and disheartening. To those of us of a certain age, and past, many of today's scents have so little presence it's hard to figure out why people bother to wear them.

Croneangel
Croneangel

Oh, this is a fun one! The vintage was much better quality of course. That seems to go without saying. But the Dana version still evokes memories and tantalizes the senses. And you can buy the powder with the big puff!!! As I said.. SO MUCH FUN! I love it!

jennifer60656
jennifer60656

Chantilly (vintage Houbigant) is the ultimate "Beauty and the Beast" frag. It starts off utterly repugnant - metallic and brackish, yet within about 30 seconds to a minute it begins to reveal the beauty hidden within.

For anyone who doesn't understand the transitions of perfume (top notes to heart notes, etc.) this is the fragrance that makes it crystal clear. As the icky part fades away, the metamorphosis is almost visible - like watching something change into something else in front of your eyes.

The heart notes are absolutely beautiful - spicy florals, musk, and a hint of leather. The drydown still retains some of the heart but becomes more of a spicy powder. Gorgeous.

I have the newer Chantilly but have not tried it. I don't know if the top notes have been tempered but I hope not. It's rather intriguing to smell something go from hideous to gorgeous within a minute. I like to apply this a couple of times a day just so I can enjoy the effect.

ailishlu
ailishlu

I just received my 60 ml bottle of Dana Chantilly from Amazon. I can´t remember how the original smells but this is lovely. I have to agree that the first spray is very strong and metallic, but it quickly dries down to s soft floral, musky scent. It definitely smells as if it comes from another time. Very elegant and decent. After the first burst it settles immediately and stays close to the skin. It´s not at all overwhelming as I thought it might be from the first spray, but exudes a subtle beautiful powdery scent. It does have oriental notes, but they stay very much in the background. I´m so happy I made this purchase.

Fragaria
Fragaria

EskimoKissez, the same thing happened to me. This is such a grandma church scent, in a nostalgic way, and then wait....close your eyes, it's bright and sunny, summery, clean and powdery. It has this crispy linen-ish and oh so stylish, classy, sailing on the water freshness about it, and this is just today. Tomorrow, this might be a whole different perfume. This is a dream of a perfume. Anything you can dream up, this can be! I can't say that about any other scent, as of yet. Some scents can cover a few "moods", "frame of mind", whatever ya wanna call it. BuuuuTHIS is talented! This is SO special, it could be made up from Greta Garbo's DNA! I'm rambling....but ya gotta know I love this!

OceanLovePotion
OceanLovePotion

I have a small solid perfume of this-- most likely an original formulation of it, I found it in a sewing kit from a white elephant sale--and I love it. It is sad that the reformulation appears to be unappealing to all those who have tried it, as the version I have is lovely :(. I might search ebay for an original. Being under 25, I would probably not reccomend this to those who are around my age if you don't want to smell too 'old,' but I just adore the scent. It's classic and not overpowering. And not anything like Coco Chanel no. 5--much warmer, sweeter, without killing those with sensitive noses.

kuanyin4
kuanyin4

Being a tad obsessive, after reading reviews, I had to get the Houbigant version. Mmmmm... I thought I remembered Chantilly as a sweet, sweet scent, I may have been mixing it up with Heaven Sent. I would not call this sweet at all. It is powdery, but not innocent. A lovely dream of a scent with just a touch of attitude.

Ladyofthe80s

Chantilly...breathtakingly beautiful, vintage, timeless...need I say more?

SandraV

@nananessa..your review was beautiful and is exactly why I love perfume:it's ability to transport you to another time and place-to bring comfort to your heart is unparalleled. This is a lovely perfume for all and I am glad it helps you and all of the other reviewers who are reminded of loved ones when smelling this wonderful scent.

Norgirl
Norgirl

This is bright floral t me whit a twist off citrus. I bought this because i was so curios about the fact that so many say it is close to Shalimar one my skin it not so close.. This is more whit floral .powdery citrusy fresh and clean. This smells like soap to me . not in a bad way , This is not bad at all for such a cheap fragrance .. very bright sophisticated , lady like . this is suitet just as well for young as for old. Maybe not under 20 but still if your into a bit more floral and not all fruity stuff ( i was there :)) Go for it. i got a cologne bottle and this is just as a perfume ( never tryed this in edt or edp . )This is strong enough in cologne aswell. and i do beliv this will last for a long time on my skin ,going on 3 hours right now.
This to me is not very spicy or prominant in the vanilla tonka , benzoin notes , there is a tiny wiff off sweetnes ,but most off all floral.. The lether is lingering slightly light in the background togehter whit carnations an oakmoos. i cant realy say the rose , and other flowers are prominant one by one one its own . This is like a bouquet off beautiful flowers .
This to me it a bit serios perfume . For tea partys , and other slightly formal awents ..
i guess this will be one off thouse perfumes to bring you compliments in the right plaises , but not if it i a casuel avent.. then i think this may be a bit out off plais.. hm.. i am analising to much:)
A good blind buy for a very little money . a big smile from me :)

nananessa
nananessa

My Mother & I both have worn this one off & on through the years. Mama passed away a few years ago & I have her lovely bath powder, puff & all!!! And it looks like she had just opened it. Smells wonderful. I sometimes open it to smell my Mother. How I miss her & cherish everything that was hers, I especially like her fragrances choices. We had similar tastes.

Love you, Mama. Your Chantilly, Chloe, Aspen, Avon Unforgettable & Wind Song you passed on to me when you went to heaven always cause me to think of you the whole time I can smell them. Treasures to me, just absolute pure treasures!

veritech
veritech

Not for me, my chemistry does not work well with leathery type notes and certain spicy notes. It smells like gun powder on me, however, my little girl wanted to try this out.... I put a little spritz in her hair and I could not stop sniffin her all day! She smelled absolutely fabulous!

nikki33
nikki33

My mom always wore the orginal Chantilly, she loved it, we all did!! I bought something on amazon a few years ago, it must have been the Dana one you are all talking about because it was kind of like Chantilly but not exactally. The kind my mom had wasn't the spray perfume and I'm sure it wasn't the body powder, I cannot remember what it was called. It was Houbigant, that I know, does anyone know what it could have been?? Thanks in advance!

mylancome
mylancome

I'm totally agree! Perfumes that produced during our grandmother's period are true French Perfumes. For those members out there who tried the Classical French Perfume, they won't like the current so call Modern Perfume. My mother don't wear any perfume, she said those smell stinks. I told her don't smell the first spray, let the perfume drydown on her skin and smell it again, you will get the true essence of the perfume.

Case Study: A feedback of a girl worked at Guerlain counter in my country, customers that had wore Classic Shalimar won't go for the new Shalimar Initial.

Blackirish
Blackirish

It seems as if a lot of people relate this w/ "old ladies" "granny's" or grandmas.i can easily see how the connection made due to my own grandma(a classy woman of her time) wore this as well. I also relate the smell to her,but in the way of the classy elegance of it.back in the day woman wore perfumes very distinct & classy as to show off there femminity.many woman held on to that even as they aged & conitnuned w/ those one of a kind classic perfumes that many of us see as "old".but they r truly gems to be rediscovered !! I have recently been rediscovering so many of these sents & that cannot even compare to the overload of "smell alike celebrity " perfumes.chantilly is truly a divine perfume.its all woman & romance .its old black & white movie & a bit of French elegance.yes the smell is not the same on all but be patient & you may find it suits you well.ive been getting so many complements on this one.its does dry down a bit powdery but it's sexy .its a true classic.not at all "old or old lady "like.imagine our grandmothers in their time.they were young and sexy once too! & this was the frangrance to show that......but w/ class,not trash! So go rediscover & enjoy this!!

smile4thecamera
smile4thecamera

You cannot categorize scent by age. Everyone, in every age bracket has a different nose. In it's day, Chantilly was amazing.

Lushylori

This one brings back memories of my childhood.
Its nice for women in the 45 + age bracket.
Its a really powdery scent and I'm not a fan of overly powdery scents.It reminds me of Shalimar only much much cheaper in price.
Its not my cup of tea but It smells nice on other women.:)

The Swedish girl
The Swedish girl

Yet another FANTASTIC blind buy!

I don`t know if my nose are playing tricks on me, but this smells like a mix of my two favourite perfumes ever: Hypnotic Poison and Obsession.

This smells like:
* Old fashioned face powder/make up
* Old fashioned Ivory soap bar
* Old fashioned shaving cream for gentlemen
* Pledge furniture polish
* Toothpaste
* Citrus
* Amber
* Vanilla
* Spices

Very sexy scent, more masculine than feminine I would say! No noticeable flowers or fruits, just how I love my orientals.

I can`t believe this perfume was made in the 40´s...

Fantastic price too. Not available in Sweden, but can be found on Ebay.

I HIGHLY recommend this to all oriental lovers.

HARPER569
HARPER569

I was cleaning My Mother In-laws Room and came across a .47 fluid oz of Houbigant Chantilly touch tip concentree, and the Smell Immediately took Me back to when I was a Child never knew the Name until now, but I have Seen the Current packaging in stores now that I know what it is I'm Intrigued about the Smell if it would be the same. Now I curios about the Purse I found It In.

Tovah
Tovah

When I was in high school, in addition to fumigating anyone within 20 feet of me with Bonne Bell Skin Musk, I used Chantilly Cream antiperspirant. I love the smell of Chantilly perfume, and the antiperspirant used to smell absolutely irresistible. On various online sites, a "Chantilly deodorant" can be purchased these days, and it smells nice, but it's nothing like its vintage counterpart. In her classic formulation, Chantilly was akin to Hypnotic Poison, having an enchanting, slightly powdery, vanilla drydown that was purely erotic.

paganpurge

I reviewed Chantilly a while back but I wanted to add that I wore this perfume today to a concert my kids put on at school. As we sat next to each other, waiting for her to go sing, my 13 year old daughter told me I smelled "awesome". This is the ONLY time my fickle 13 year old has ever complimented me on my perfume! I was so pleasantly surprised I had to share. :)

appleblossom22
appleblossom22

I'm into scents of all kinds, and when I saw this I figured I would try it. When I was three years old, my grandmother would sit me on her lap and let me test all of her scents. She's very French and rather high class and her perfume collection reflected that. This scent reminds me of many of the perfumes she owned. This scent gives me the same comforting feeling of being in my grandmother's lap. I don't like the scent on me, but I take the bottle out on days I'm feeling tense and spray fabrics with it. I'm not sure if it has more to do with the emotional connection or the scent alone, but this is the most calming scent I've came across.

paganpurge

I bought Chantilly as a blind buy. Walmart has a bunch of mini Dana perfumes for around 3 bucks a pop around this time of year so I figured it would be an excellent time to try it. At first spray, it brought me back to working in a nursing home. I even thought I could smell something similar to rootbeer, lol. I was a little bummed but about 20 minutes later the scent softened and changed. It was beautiful! A very comforting sent! I am pretty new at fragrance so I am not sure what notes I could smell at the opening or what it dried down to but I can say it dried down to something worth waiting for. If I have learned anything with my new found fragrance interest is that, it pays to be patient. Very happy with Chantilly!

Having never tried the original, I got my hands on a tiny bottle of the new stuff, which is now produced by Dana but has the same bottle. I must say this smells a lot different than I was expecting. It's cool and green. I can smell mostly the lemon and neroli, and I can detect the off-putting note in here that Scarlette mentions. I think it's likely the leather, or it could be the oakmoss. It gives it a slightly cold metallic feel. I find that if a very light spray is used, this particular note doesn't stand out. I am using the EDT and I do find it strong so a light spray is just fine. I don't detect any of the sandalwood, vanilla, or benzoin that are supposedly in here. Overall, this isn't bad. I'd love to try a vintage version.

EDIT: The drydown smells so pretty and soft and powdery, and lasts all day. I really like it. If the vintage version is even better than this, I have to find it.

EK
EK

Today is my first day with Chantilly. Another blind buy that has turned out to be overly successful!
On me the opening was sparkling fresh and instantly mood-lifting, and over time it seems to grow more and more elegant and beautiful. The sillage is above average on me - it's been 6 hrs and it still lingers on.
Chantilly is really classy with that old-fashioned feel that I love. Both elegant and fresh, I find it suitable for any occasion, any season, just depending on the amount you use.
Only few perfumes have such an impact on my mood. First spritz just made me feel joyful, lighter, and more lady-like (well, mentally) than I was a minute before.
Wow.

Note: this is the new EdT, I never smelled the vintage version.

Kandykiss
Kandykiss

This a an old fashioned classic! To this very day it has to be one of my all time classic favourite fragrances. I usually wear it at Christmas, as it seems to suit the ambience of the holiday season. One of the worlds most romantic fragrances in my opinion.
It evokes romance, and a certain element of mystery.
Upon writing my romace writing projects, a wee dab of this can surely get my muse going..
All summed up.. utter romance, bittersweet, dreamy.. all the things that falling in love can be.

francisrose

This is a lovely scent. Soft,spicy and powdery with a whiff of orange blossoms. My dressing table is never without this classic perfume along with the powder and lotion. even though the formulation has indeed changed, it retains some of it's former beauty and is well worth the effort.

Had the urge to wear Chantilly after several years (had a bottle when I was 15 given to me by my Grandfather as a gift). I just HAD to buy a bottle! Bought a big 3.5 oz. bottle of Chantilly Eau De Toilette Spray at a "Rite Aid" drug store near my home. Got to the car and could not even wait until I got home to use it. Had to sneak a spray when I got in my car! Ahhh...pure Heaven in a bottle!!! Immediately I was lifted into a more beautiful place and time...cannot find the words to describe how much I love Chantilly. It is one of my all time favorites. Nothing that is out now can compare with this timeless classic! Can't believe I went for so many years without wearing this gorgeous; feminine and classy fragrance. Every single stage of this fragrance is beautiful and works perfectly with my body chemistry. When I spray this on I think of pearls, lace, and all things feminine and beautiful. It is so me. I know this may not be the original Houbigant formula, but Dana has done an amazing job in capturing an almost exact essence of the original Chantilly. Very happy this perfume has stood the test of time. Also love the beautiful design of the box with the lace over the pink background. So pretty. The shape of the bottle is lovely, too. I will be buying the Chantilly Bath powder at the same place I bought the perfume. For those who don't know this, Sears also sells Chantilly; the EDT Spray, Body Lotion in a pump bottle, roll-on deodorant, and bath powder. I prefer Rite Aid because everything is under lock and key so that nobody tampers with it and your perfume is full and unused. The bottle I bought was fresh and new, thank goodness! Another great place to get Chantilly products and gift sets is a website called danaclassics.com. I am very picky about making sure I get a fresh bottle of perfume and not something that's old and rancid from sitting around on a shelf forever. Hope my review helps!!

sandrak17
sandrak17

This is my best friends favorite perfume. Is there also another called Chantilly Lace? or is this the same thing? someone let me know please!!!

christelucas
christelucas

Chantilly has been a favorite on my dresser since I was 15 years old.

I do hate the watered down reformulations. I have original version of fragrances such a Heaven Scent. Next to the watered down "imitations", the imitations are nothing in comparision. The "re formulated" watered versions lose the creation, don't last and smell cheap. The originals were from eras in which everything was created, manufactured with care and pride. The originals have class.

Dana has special fragrances. Tabu and Ambush are the best known. I think Tabu is the only fragrance that has not been "dumbed down". There were others bottles. I remember a white bottle and I think a turquise one. How I would now love to experiment and try these. When I was a teen and in college, identity wss still building. Now I can experiment and still have my identity.

Please don't cheapen and dumb down classics.

@spiritkind..Aw-thanks:)

SandraV

Ah how I love this perfume.At Christmas I found a giftset of a 1oz. cologne and matching 2oz. lotion for 5 bucks-I figured it would be no great loss if I hated it....boy was I in for a surprise:I absolutely love it!It is extremely powdery yet after the initial drydown it is soft and comforting.It makes me want to dress up in vintage clothes with bright red lipstick and my hair in pin curls...It is such a nice change from the current trend of fruity florals that dominate the market these days.I guess some would say that this would fit into the category 'old lady perfumes'.I hate that phrase as we are *all* hopefully going to be 'little old ladies' one day and it seems so disrespectful to me but I digress...
This scent IS powdery and it IS old-fashioned but it has stood the test of time for a reason.I doubt many scents out now will still be here in 60+ years.I can see this being a love/hate fragrance for sure as it has strong sillage(and that powdery note) but it is just so lovely to me.I think of so many women back during WW2 who worked in the factories while their husbands/boyfriends were off at war...I wonder how many of them put a little money aside at a time so they could buy a tiny bottle of this and scent letters to their loved ones with a drop of it.It isn't just the fragrance itself that I love but the 'idea' of it as well.This would be perfect for a wedding or to have high tea with the ladies-it's definitely not a 'going clubbing' scent.It's far too demure and classy for that.It's wonderful to wear to bed in the winter as it feels like a warm blanket around you.
This is my favorite comfort scent:I had to be rushed to the hospital once and had sprayed this on my wrists not long before...the next morning I woke up in that strange environment and could smell a trace of this lingering...it felt like home:)

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

This is my pure "nostalgia" fragrance; it was the only perfume my mother wore and I can remember giving her birthday and mother's day bottles of this scent.

It is not quite as I remember it on her, likely because her version would have been the vintage scent, however, I always have it on hand to wear on those days when I feel I am missing her more than others.

It has a bitter opening, with a strange, metallic undertone, then develops on me into a powdery oriental with clear orange notes. Lovely and delicate overall. I will be looking for the vintage version for sure!

nearfantastica
nearfantastica

I LOOOOVE this....my alltime favorite scent. I have never smelled the original Houbigant formula, only Dana. My mother had this when I was young and passed it on to me. This fragrance, hands down, recieves the most compliments of any scent I wear, women love it and men are entranced by this...I am always stopped and asked which scent it is. It does start out strong, almost manderin/lemon-like, but then dries down to the sexiest incense/leather/powdery vanilla-like smell...very French and expensive smelling. Most do not believe me when I tell them it is a drugstore brand. I normally like oriental/vanilla fragrances, and I have a collection of sweet scents I indulge in as well. But this, Chantilly is my signature fragrance, worn for twenty years and I will never tire of it. Absolutely beautiful, incredibly timeless.

LaniC
LaniC

This is such a great quality fragrance for its price. I agree with other reviewers who have pointed out similarities between Chantilly and Emeraude or Shalimar, two other all-time perfumes of mine. The top notes are very bright and crisp, but as it mellows on the skin, a soft, powdery rose-cinnamon-spice blend emerges. Subtle leather notes soon appear, but never disturb the balance of the scent. Just heavenly. On my skin, it wears even better than Shalimar, too!

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

I read the positive reviews of this perfume and decided to blind buy the Houbigant version. My initial response to this was, "Aaargh!" as I got a hige dose of benzoin straight up my nose. This induced a shocking headache and shattered my dream of having a successful blind buy. It's now been about an hour and I'm starting to smell the rose, bergamot and orange flower, with something slightly spicy hiding underneath. This is interesting but I'm just unable to get over the hurdle of wearing this for long enough for the benzoin to mellow!

greengrl
greengrl

I was excited to try this after I read the reviews and am sad to say that I wasn't thrilled with it. It had a soft, soapy, powdery smell and I have yet to pick up on the fruity notes. This would make a great introduction to oriental fragrances for someone who favors florals.

Lady Love
Lady Love

Dana Chantilly Edt: At the beginning smells like a intense combination of fruity notes combined with lemon. I think Fruity notes temper the lemon. So this is way different than Shalimar or Emeraude sharp critric opening. I must admit that it smells a little synthetic when you first put it on, however i find it more pleasant than the first minutes of shalimar.
The drydown of this perfume it's very vanillic and musky mixed together with benzoin and tonka bean, it smells different than it did when first applied.

Dana Chantilly Edp: WOAH!! I smell hints of spices, leather-sandalwood, vanilla and a little touch of lemon. The drydown is more warm, very powdery with amber and incense. This concentration is way better, compared to the edt.

The edt is a more young and fresh version of the edp, the edp is richer and warm.

Is a interesting fragrance but this is not one of my favourite oriental.

sheridanellis

Beautiful, very "French" smelling perfume...like a distant cousin to Shalimar or Emerude. I like the smell of the powdery dry down. It is so pretty on others, but it hurts my nose :( Don't be afraid to try some of the oldies but goodies! If you like this you may also like Wind Song, L'aimant and Lutece. Cheers!

passionata20
passionata20

The review is for original formula, not made by Dana.

On me it opens very green and woody and very pleasant, but then it turns to powdery scnet indeed. But not too much powdery as i would expect. i still get some bitter note mixed with powder and that´s whay it is still pleasant to me. I don´t know if my version is old or nw, it has not the same shape as on the picture above but more voluptous.
Quite nice but it is also not my favorite. I wouldn´t mind to have a bottle of it in my collection "just in case". I still think that i have to grow older more to like this more. It falls into category "nice typical fragrance" and i wouldn´t call this outstanding since there are many others that are quite the same.

Vamy69
Vamy69

This smells ok but it did not last for more than 2 hours on my skin. It kind of reminds me of Shalimar only weaker. Not really my cup of tea as I prefer strong perfumes.

janabana123
janabana123

great! as a theater director i'd give the following vision: scent of a boudoir, shining feminity, sensual in depth, but not lustful..couragious but not bold, evokation but not screaming, classy and superior- yet not cold&haughty; powdery; strong in presence without the need of many words, intuitive, carnal, empathetic, fleshly, demanding dominance of boudoir

a classic. my mother's favorite. soft, pretty, powdery, calmly sweet and a little citrusy. dries into a lovely, lingering mist. still a favorite.

You wonderful ladies will have me spending all my Christmas cash in the bargain section...LOL

Great reviews gals. I always wrote this one off as "old", now (with my newly acquired vintage "mania") I want to sniff all the oldies but goodies and try them all!!!!

Kiku
Kiku

My favorite. I've worn Chantilly for 45 years and although I love to try new fragrances this is the one I always come back to.

The original Chantilly was a true oriental: warm, sweet, thick, and spicy. The opening was an explosion of oranges. The heart was more oranges with sweet Middle Eastern spices. The drydown was a soft powdery vanilla and sandalwood mix.

Today's Chantilly is a reformulation. The original notes are still there but much softer and lighter. Much cooler too thanks to a heavy addition of cedar in the drydown. I'm not sure Chantilly is still an oriental. With that predominant coolness it now has it is more of a chypre/chypre floral. It is reminiscent of Aphrodisia, Crepe de Chine, or L'Air du Temps. Despite the changes I still consider it the most wonderful of all perfumes, the always and forever star of my perfume wardrobe.

millan
millan

Felt nostalgic today and wore Chantilly. It was my first woman perfume. Is not the same , but not that different. But it smell real good and last a long time. its been 8 hour since I use my roller and its smells so good and strong .It made me feel really good today. Just loving it!!! I may buy myself a gift set. Its sexy and kind of mysterious.just loving it.

sunshineandroses

I am testing the Chantilly available now by Dana. It still smells good but I think it has changed. What I remember about Houbigant Chantilly is the sandalwood. Is it possible that they tried to lighten it up a bit ?
Something is different and it's not quite the same. However, the pink dusting powder containers and pretty bottles for less than 10 dollars make it a nice little gift for a traditional lady . It would be better than another box of candy to ruin her waistline.

nyoka
nyoka

Chantilly is a timeless beauty.WAy ahead of its time.When other fumes were all floral,here it came with the opening of fruit! In a few moments,u r treated to an orange jasmine flower(IF there was such a thing)! THe drydown is the best part!!! Leather of all things with just the right touch of vanilla finished with oakmoss which does give it some sillage.Still unexpensive but signature worthy.In fact my lovely (SIS)has this for hers.

cisco
cisco

Since vintage Chantilly is one of my favorites I need to review what I love about this fragrance. It is a lovely floral on me that has good sillage and a better than average life span. I love the entire line including the lotion and the wonderful powder. Despite Chantilly being around for almost 70 years, I do not see it as old fashioned. To me this means it is a classic that has held up for many years against huge competition. We should all be this durable.

I had the opportunity to test the new Dana Chantilly and found it to be pleasant, but weak in comparison to my vintage. It is much brighter and lighter than the vintage. I don't know how long it lasts on or what type of sillage it has since I just gave myself a quick spritz in the store.

JonCologneSplash
JonCologneSplash

the first perfume i bought for my wife when we first started dating ten years ago....i buy her a bottle each christmas

I don't know what anyone is talking about with the referance to "powder". I have been wearing Chantilly for years, and it has never turned to powder on me. On my skin, it starts out very fresh, clean, almost aquatic, and lemony. After that, it settles into a soft and romantic floral. When it had reached its' fading point, I am left with a soft "baby magic" kind of smell. It's sexy!!! Everyone compliments me on it. Men especially.

darkbeauty
darkbeauty

I'm only 31 yrs. old, but I must be an old soul because I remember falling in love with this scent as a very young girl (one of my 1st perfumes)and I still love it today amongst others that are labeled "old fashioned & old lady" (shalimar & emeraude). These perfumes were WAY before my time, but they speak to me and marry well with my skin...

miss_piggy
miss_piggy

Powdery, pretty, inoffensive... and as someone said before me, Victorian. An ideal scent for a little girl. To give it due credit, I would agree with many that it is a classic. I just used up the last of mine to reduce the clutter of so-so perfumes and make room for those I love...

sunshineandroses

This was the first perfume I ever bought. I remember it well. I think the reason that it reminds people of their grandmother is that she probably did wear it since it is from the forties. I still like to smell it from the bottle but would not wear it anymore. It has too many teenage memories attached to it for me. I think it is too old fashioned for young women today. I kept an empty bottle in my lingerie drawer for years just for nostalgia.

bonjour!
Je cherche la maison qui maintenantle distribue au québec,car maintenant ledistributeur Dana a fermer c'est porte et j'ai des clients qui me demandent ou nous pourrions le trouver.Je suis représentente.Merci de me répondre

wowgirl
wowgirl

This, along with angel, takes the top spot for the most DISGUSTING FRAGRANCE EVER CREATED!!!! I literally get sick from the smell of this powdery old lady scent-even just thinking about how it smells make me sick!!!

The_Entity
The_Entity

Hmm, I wish I tested before buying...from the bottle, a nice old fashioned scent...on my skin, it turned to lemon and baby powder :(

falovalo
falovalo

For what it is, it's okay. It is an old fashioned, powdery fragrance. I don't know what notes I'm detecting, but I immediately get that Victorian, girly feeling when I smell it.

9154mf
9154mf

Rosy, soapy, powdery 'old lady' smell for me. Sorry I know some you hate this reference but its the only thing I can think of. I wouldnt wear this if it were the last perfume on earth. Reminds me of those classic pouffy smells like Shalimar. No sale.

EskimoKissez
EskimoKissez

This is the kind of fragrance that surprises you... pleasantly. Once you spray it on, the initial scent is overwhelmingly different. It smells like your Grandma's lingerie drawer, oak with baby powder, and citrus mixed with carnation, rose, and vanilla. After the initial impression of antique lace and old leather... you sense a light, powdery, floral smell that is very sweet and pleasant. I didn't think I would like it at first, but an hour later I am writing this here to tell you I love it!

Sissi
Sissi

The opening has a strange plastic opening a reminiscent of a pink dollhouse. i just don't know it smells
like plastic to me.

seventh
seventh

just don't over do it. little goes all the way and it's suitable for the whle day.

preciouspetal
preciouspetal

One of my very favourites. So clean and fresh smelling. It's a soft lingering luxurious fragrance.

Sassy1
Sassy1

This was a good teen-age perfume for me but it's a strong powdery puff of fluff so no longer my style. Strangely, I don't feel nostalgic about it all...

mrolfhus
mrolfhus

A vague hint of the scent I remember buying for a mom every mother's day until I found out she likes Shalimar. Dries down to cheap soap.

This fragrance was one which reminded me of one of my ex-friends; provocative, annoying, loud, and predictable. Once worn, most recognize its overstated appearance. It has/had the potential of being a contender in the "one of the best" category if it only it were more subtle in its presence. Many church ladies in my community wore this fragrance and they wore it LOUDLY!

Chantilly is the best perfume I ever had. As I could no longer get it in Germany I went to another perfume. Dommage!
Sigrun Schaefer, Germany

weegee

Chantilly is another of those "classics" that one might feel slightly guilty about not liking, especially if others in the same olfactive category happen to be favorites. Chantilly can be cloyingly sweet, powdery and even a little like the air freshener in a fancy restaurant's ladies room (and I speak of the original, haven't smelled the new formulation) in the same way Youth Dew can stink up a room. And yet, just a drop or two of either can be a lovely, transporting experience. Just goes to show that buying scents unsniffed because of the olfactive category can be a disaster. Hard to believe Chantilly is in the same category as Mystere de Rochas, Must de Cartier and Habanita, but then Youth Dew is classed with Fendi's Theorema... go figure!

Chatnoir
Chatnoir

I have a bottle of the old Houbigant and the new Dana versions of "Chantilly", and I like them both. The old "Chantilly" is a deeper, stronger scent that highlights the resin and musk- this is a very sophisticated scent perfect for evening wear. The new "Chantilly" is much brighter and sweeter, with the emphasis squarely on the orange blossom. Obviously, this is much more of a daytime scent. You can tell these two scents share some DNA, but the older version is a world-wise, sophisticated older sister, while the new version is a fresh faced, well-scrubbed teenager of the bobby socks era.

CaraMia
CaraMia

The original by Houbigant is a true classic and more unusual than you would expect. Not a girly composition but a feminine musky blend of carnations, roses, orange blossoms and Ylang tempered with spice and gorgeous juniper or pine needles.

Beautiful and full blooded.

Very powdery, sweet and innocent. It's a classic "girl" fragrance, not in a way that defines the age of who may wear it, but in that it is pink and lace and all things 'girl'. This is the exact opposite of masculine anything. It's the sugar and spice and everything nice part of the equation.

katyas
katyas

I have at least one small bottle of perfume (1/4 oz. and NOT eau de anything - just perfume) that I received several years back for joining Cosmetique. I say "at least one" because there is a chance there are more of these back at my folks' house. Anyway, I digress - the point is that I've liked this scent for a number of years and just recently sort of "rediscovered" it - I have noticed that several stores around here have Chantilly in a "gift pack" form for a really great low price, and am going to go pick one up - I just hope the "Eau de" forms are as good as the pure one.

This is a lovely, spicy scent - warm, soft and easy to wear. There is enough floral and fruit in the scent to give a softness that many Oriental scents don't have. Reading other reviews (not necessarily for this product), I've noticed that people will call a scent that was originally put out decades ago as "dated." I think it is better to think of these sorts of fragrances - such as Chantilly - as classic, and having met the test of time.

artgoddess
artgoddess

REminds me of my Grandma. A very vintage scent. I can't wear it. Onme, it is overly sweet and cloying.

xiamara
xiamara

I absolutely love this perfume!! Very classic and chic. Wouldn't wear it for regular office wear, but once in a while, or a mild spray is fine. Great for evening wear... or if ur going 'out' anywhere during the day too ;).

Boggi
Boggi

I am pretty sure I had this when I was a kid. My father had bought it on a buisness trip in France. I remember it as a powdery, light perfume.

sophywt
sophywt

This one now is produced by Dana

Chantilly by Houbigant 3.54 out of 5 based on 466 ratings and 152 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Houbigant Chantilly fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Houbigant Chantilly, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Chantilly by Houbigant. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Chantilly by Houbigant represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.