Designers » F-H » Oriental Floral « Groups

Demi-Jour Houbigant for women
dislike

yellow floral
aldehydic

Demi-Jour by Houbigant is a Oriental Floral fragrance for women. Demi-Jour was launched in 1987. Top notes are aldehydes, violet and bergamot; middle notes are orris root, jasmine, heliotrope, ylang-ylang, lily-of-the-valley and rose; base notes are sandalwood, musk, oakmoss and cedar.

Aldehydes Violet Bergamot

Orris Root Jasmine Heliotrope Ylang-Ylang Lily-of-the-Valley Rose

Sandalwood Musk Oakmoss Cedar

Emilie

Demi-Jour Fragrance Reviews

Snapple8
Snapple8

So many great reviews for this product here, yet when I got it I thought it was awful. By the way, it is no longer made by Houbigant, it is now made by Dana Classic Fragrances. I didn't like it at all. It would be probably more suitable for a man, although I wouldn't like my man - or any man standing close to me - to smell like that. Really it is not like women's perfume, I have no idea what that is. I returned it promptly

Mistressvoodoodolly
Mistressvoodoodolly

I'm assuming the House of Houbigant no longer makes this. I wore it when it came out and a friend loved it so much she bought it. I am dying to smell their orange blossom perfume but it's in the extrait form on their site for $600! I do not understand how one of the oldest perfume houses, Marie-Antoinette carried vials of its perfume to the guillotine, could create some lovely scents like the old Chantilly and they end up under dime-store companies? What is going on?

sheridanellis
sheridanellis

Oh how I wish I had kept my bottle of this...if not just for the bottle which is so pretty it is one you would definitely want on display front and center on a dressing table. The scent is very full of aldehydes, so if you don't like them, stay far away. There is something so glamorous and old fashioned about this scent. Very balmy, lots of sandalwood and a classy silage that won't be forgotten. It reminds me of a mixture of Chanel No.5 and Tojours Moi by Dana. Good stuff.

Plrowden
Plrowden

A fabulous floral! Aldehydes sizzle, bringing together the floral notes perfectly! It is heady, sultry and oh-so-feminine. I can definitely smell the violets, heliotrope and rose. The jasmine is faint and I get no LOTV. The oak moss emerges and softens the blend into a gorgeous soft bouquet as the aldehydes fade. There is definitely bergamot in this even though it is not listed as a note. The dry down is just glorious! A soft meltingly delicious floral. I wouldn't call it an oriental, but a gorgeously and expertly blended floral. It would be too much for warmer weather, but on cold days, it is sublime. (I have the Dana version, as it is stated on the back of the box.)

Sillage is heavy fading to moderate
Longevity, on me is long lasting

lemieux1968
lemieux1968

Nov. 2013 : I am a big fan of everything vintage and every time I feel like hiding behind a fragrance to make a statement (instead of, say, dyeing my hair loud colours) I reach for my bottle of DemiJour by Houbigant. It's a must for any fan of girly-yet-not so "i know what you're wearing" smells. I tend to go for niche fragrances these days or go back to old classics.

This fragrance is a little over the top ans screams gourmand with flowery sweetness (much like Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood, it's distinct and so original) : Am I the only one who smells a little bitterness in Demi Jour ?

cincobayou
cincobayou

I was going through an old box of fragrances that I had grown tired of years ago and stashed away in the bottom of a closet, when I began to buy new ones on the market.
Oh my! I discovered this half-full bottle of Demi-Jour, made in France!
I had not used it in 20 + years and it just smelled wonderfully new on me again!
I feel as if I have found a lost good friend, especially after reading these reviews and comments about the newer formula.
What a classically lovely bottle it is indeed, as well as smelling very lady-like and unique, not strong.

princesszaida
princesszaida

This is a review for the Dana version. I blind bought it against all warnings, because even if it was horrible, it was over 7oz for only $7, so it didn't feel like a big deal to me. I've never smelled the original. I thought of that as a positive, like it can't taint or make this one look bad in comparison.

The bottle is big and roundish, and there's just a hole in the top for application. So I splashed/spilled some on my neck and arms. In the bottle it smells like straight alcohol and a little bit of sweetness. And then on me it's REALLY sweet. I get that turkish delight comparison. It's extremely gourmand. I think it's too sweet for me, and it makes me a little nauseous. The dark orangey peachy brown color of the liquid is also a bit disconcerting.

It smells like it was $7. Very linear and just gross. It smells like chemicals. Chemical sweetness? I would not recommend.

PonderinStuff

Thanks so much! Now, if only I can figure out where to buy an authentic Houbigant version, OR find a fragrance that smells very much like the original Demi Jour, I'll be a happy camper!

Someone please bring back this Houbigant perfume!!

PonderinStuff

Why are there no dates on these reviews? I'd like to find out where I can buy Demi Jour (the original version), but I don't know if the updates and tips I'm seeing here were written a few days ago or several years ago (for instance, I don't know if Demi Jour is still owned by Dana).

Thanks.

carlacoulthard
carlacoulthard

I very, very much hope the newly acquired Houbigant re-issues this gem of a scent. Powdery violets, sparkling aldehydes, rich sandalwood, a beautiful sillage, and great duration combine to make wearing this a luxurious 'old money' experience. This perfume needs a good dry down time - especially the parfum! The champagne aldehyde fizz settles to a sophisticated balmy floral with undertones of No.5. Wear while rushing through Charles de Gaulle airport with your Louis Vuitton luggage... or (in my case) running up the high street trying to catch a bus!

hotrod
hotrod

Houbigant vintage Demi Jour of the late 80s was my signature scent, sadly I was sorry to hear it was sold to Dana. I would love to purchase a vintage bottle on e-bay but am afraid that it,s notes may be compromised due to age, could that be true?

susanmsuk
susanmsuk

I only have the vintage Houbigant version of Demi Jour which I feel is really an unusual perfume. I believe I read somewhere that it was a remake of a Demi Jour which was launched in the early part of the 20th century, but I have no proof of this, so can't be sure.

I have tested the Dana version, but I felt the fragrance smelled very cheap, likewise the packaging. In fact, all the Houbigant fragrances bought by Dana have been cheapened and ruined. I'm so glad I bought the Houbigant versions before Dana got their hands on them.

I'm wearing vintage Demi Jour today. In common with many fragrances from the 1980s it needs to be worn with restraint and has great lasting power.

MaggieKat
MaggieKat

I am not sure which version of Demi-Jour I own, the Dana one or the Houbigant one, can anyone tell me how to tell the difference? Regardless, I like the one I am using, and if this is the strength of the EDT, how strong is the EDP? On me, it is floral and woody, maybe slightly astringent.

minahil.tufail
minahil.tufail

I don't want to give a review on this but I want to ask you all a question. Where can you get it from?

TOB
TOB

I agree with other reviewers. I used to buy Demi-Jour by the flagon in the late 1980s and early 1990s! I loved it and used it as a signature scent. In evenings or winter it was a good base scent to mix with more complicated oriental perfumes popular at that time. Now I use Chanel No. 5 as a signature scent.

The Demi-Jour scent is floral with an oriental undertone that is very elegant and pure. Then when I tried to buy more about three years ago, I found that Dana was making it. I bought two bottles of it. And it just didn't smell the same. It came off as 'fake' and chemical. Very sad.

cisco
cisco

This is more of a lovely floral than an oriental. If you wonder why the prices vary so much it is because the true Demi-Jour made by Houbigant must be marked "Made in France". Dana is making it now and using the Houbigant name. Anytime you purchase this from eBay make sure the dealer confirms it was made in France.

I have a lovely one ounce gift presentation box of the French Demi-Jour.

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

WAY TOO FLORAL FOR ME! Don't get me wrong Its not horrible but not absolutely gorgous either. Its a better looking bottle than the scent is in my opinion.

pansylady
pansylady

I liked it at the time (15 years ago) when i was going through a brief Spice Girl phase,but I'm not sure I would like it now- the bottle looks beautiful on top of the vanity table, though-

magie
magie

i smelled a sample of DemiJour many years ago and loved it, but could not find it. I found it on line a few months ago and bought it. CaraMia is right, Dana ruined it. I wasted my money on the new version. It smells cheap and synthetic.

juliana6909
juliana6909

Very elegant and powerful smell, top notes are lovely and very catchy. Once you smelt it you can not smell anything else for a while the smell lingers in you senses, middle notes are somehow strange to me, little bit stale but that clears away to leave you with very long lasting sweet but very pleasant note. I would recommend it! A whole rainball of aromas.

My sample must also be vintage. It is a lovely old-style (NOT old fashioned or 'old lady') floral that is surprisingly sparkling. It has similar notes to the classic orientals but lacks that heavy oriental base. Definitely an elegant evening-out perfume.

CaraMia
CaraMia

Houbigant's Demi-Jour is an absolute marvel of a floral aldehydic perfume. Elegant to the bones, it is an exquisitely blended bouquet with a delicious base of oakmoss, something you don't find too readily post-EU rule changes

Sadly, Dana bought this one and ruined it, but if you can find the original you will not be disappointed

Demi-Jour by Houbigant 3.75 out of 5 based on 76 ratings and 22 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Houbigant Demi-Jour fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Houbigant Demi-Jour, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Demi-Jour by Houbigant. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Demi-Jour by Houbigant represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.