Designers » F-H » Oriental « Groups

Monsieur Musk Houbigant for men
dislike

tobacco
whiskey

Monsieur Musk by Houbigant is a Oriental fragrance for men. Monsieur Musk was launched in 1973. The fragrance features spices, musk and tobacco.

Spices Musk Tobacco

Monsieur Musk Fragrance Reviews

frenchwhore237
frenchwhore237

Picked this up today and I regret to say it sucked. I blind bought this for 8 bucks luckily. There are two notes that go on for hours. Dirty socks and scrotum. I needed to relieve myself of this plague and threw both the aftershave and spray cologne out the window. This isnt so great after the hype!

Castor

At the expense of being reiterative, there are musks and musks. This one, IMHO, is soft, not as complex as a high end would be, but much more than inexpensive ones, close to the skin, very gentlemanly.

I have a fancy for musks: Kiehl's, Narciso Rodriguez, Jovan, a local one, and heavy musk-base notes ones like Bvlgary Black. I would not mind getting Musc Kublai Khan or Musk Ravageur, but getting these is quite difficult - they are not available in my country. Some of them are skanky, other are gentle. Houbigant's / Dana is the latest kind of musk.

It is a no frills musk that is worth having in your wardrobe if into classics, reformulated or not. Or worth having if you are a hoarder and want all those worth having, regardless of total amout of bottles n your wardrobe.

Redbeard
Redbeard

This is the nicest of the old-style musks that I've tried so far. It's a clean soapy musk rather than a sweaty libidinous musk, which I think makes it smell less stuck in its era than others do. It makes me feel clean and professional, yet virile, all the while employing a surprising amount of florals. I don't have remotely enough experience with florals to tell you just what's in there, but I sure notice them when I exhale on the spot and then inhale slowly! It's really interesting how just adding that musk in there transforms what might have been a girly floral into musky man juice. An excellent traditional cheapy...I'll have to see if I can find a small bottle of the EDC, even though the aftershave is strong enough.

funnyboy
funnyboy

I bought the Houbigant version off e bay.Strong and it is perfect for the English winter.Not overpowering if you do not apply too much.
A great comforting scent with no flowers and plenty of leather.
You could wear this on any occasion but I love wearing it outdoors on walks, or in the garden whist working and I am so happy .I found a bottle as it was over 20 years ago since I had my first one.
I dont think that under 30's would appreciate this fragrance and I will be sure to keep one in my collection.The bottle I own is a splash as I am not sure if it was ever produced in a spray.
My rating a good 8.5 out of 10..

cmoca
cmoca

I bought this for my ex as he really likes musk (more into the Egyptian musk / body oils) and he liked it - and I LOVED it. IT's sweet, long lasting but not strong. Amazing sillage. You don't need to use much and it is not overpowering. It's smooth from the first dash until the end - which ...well.. it never ends. Fills the room without being overpowering. I absolutely love it.
For women, I like Jovan Musk, which my ex also likes, so it might be an ok unisex juice :)

shamus1
shamus1

Monsieur Musk isn't really what comes to mind when I think of musk fragrances, but it's still great. To me, Monsieur Musk smells more leathery and mossy than musky.

The musk in this smells dry and musty, rather than powdery and animalic. It creates a smell that reminds me of old worn leather. The musk doesn't become obvious to me until well into the drydown.

Old school, warm and rich, this is one macho musk.

MY RATING: 8/10

echo1265
echo1265

I had worn this fragrance since the early 70's and it had always been a delight to wear, not only to myself, but to others who happened to catch it's scent when crossing my path. I never diclosed what it was I was wearing and it always was a topic of discussion. However, in recent years and although the scent remains the same, the long lasting ability of the fragrance has declined. One might as well use one of the better and leading dish detergents on the market these days to compensate. A classic has been ruined! It has been watered down and is not the product it once was. At best, the scent will last roughly about one hour and then it's only a memory. It should be criminal that this product today is peddled as the original without the character that was once standard to this fragrance. Unless the original is reinstated I will never use this product again nor will I ever purchase another Dana Product knowingly because I believe that if this product has been reduced to nothing more than sweetened water, then chances are that many more products are unable to deliver what the manufacturer claims. Buyer beware!!!!

Matt Oldham
Matt Oldham

My aunt used to wear nothing but the Houbigant musk for women and it was beautiful. Kiehl's Musk is very similar except that it starts out extremely raunchy before becoming extremely clean--like the Houbigant as I remember it.

Aqua218
Aqua218

This was my dad's signature cologne. When he died I grabbed his half used bottle from the bathroom. For the last 10 years I couldn't bring myself to smell it - it was just to painful. But yesterday I found it in a drawer and decided to close my eyes and take a whiff. It was as if my dad was right there beside me and I wasn't sad at all. A sense of peace came over me. The scent was just so perfectly masculine and comforting. It fit my dad's character perfectly...classy, masculine and strong.

Castor

An oriental that feels like a floral... but in a limited way. It is a gentlemen's cologne: it has limited sillage and longevity, but smells amazingly good even though its close-to-the-skin development.

From this point of view, it is at odds compared to Kiehl's, as well as other niche musks, mainly due to its discretion. Think it this way, strong smells on men were regarded as lack of class, and in this sense, Monsieur Musk fits the bill.

I would even venture to say it might as well be a well-regarded choice if it were not for its price and distribution. It does not feel cheap, at all. But it inexpensive, though.

RobbieX
RobbieX

A really nice inexpensive men's fragrance. Quite potent, would like more of this. Jovan Musk is equally as good in my opinion.

junior halston
junior halston

The only musk I will wear. I have not tried it since Dana Fragrance has taken over the rights to this - I do hope they did not play with the blend.

Usually musk is just too powdery and effeminate smell but Monsieur Musk has this blend of greens and tobacco along with the musk that make this scent unique and wearable on my skin.

A cheapy but goodie!

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

This is all my husband wares!!!!!! I love this scent on him, I have never smelled this on any other man other than my own!

Tiny Tim - I just found this, and in case you ever come back ... the Old Stuff still works. I have a bottle from the mid-70's and just now dabbed on a tiny bit (All It Takes!) and am preparing to lock the doors.

guest_Tiny Tim
guest_Tiny Tim

So, the assortmemet of fragrances is astounding. I am 57 and the first I ever used were my Dad's classics back in 1965! Old Spice, Mennen's, Brut, Hai Karate, Canoe and British Sterling, and just discovered Mounsieur Musk in 2007 and it was purchased due to the highly postive effect it had on several women. Others hated it,,,There are strong masculine romantic overtones and add a dash of Athena Pheromone! I am married now but in the not too distant past, success of dating was actually associated with this form of Musk. The first dude who shared with me his smell that was magic with the women and he said that I need to get "the real Monsieur Mus by Houbigant)..bought out by Dana in 1995/6,so somewhere on some shelf lies the old stuff. Sherlock Holmes is looking. Anybody seen or smelled the one prior to 1995? Would the chemicals stay stable of out of light and normal room temp storage? Viking

ily_sb
ily_sb

I don't like this scent ... smells like an old man's cologne, a scent truly outdated .I've purchased a little bottle because of good reviews and I guess I'll give it away as a gift now...

sophywt
sophywt

Simply superb!

I grabbed it more due to my curiosity, and actually didn't expect that it smells so nice. I thought a scent from that era(70s) might be too "dated" for nowadays tastes but I know now I was wrong!

Monsieur Musk is a fresh green musk scent with considerably tobacco undertone, quite classic structure. But it suprised me that it's so well-balanced, the not-too-dry green herbal accompanied slightly spiced notes, subtle clean musk (compare with nowadays super clean, pale, and in face musk) and smoky-but-no-dirty tobacco take turns "sing" their parts, either a solo or a choir, and the whole scent is in a heavenly harmony.
There's not anything tricky or edge in this scent and it smells just great and classy.

I don't know the dana's version, it maybe lost some of its quality but still remainds as one of the nicest masculine scents.

I am trying to find Houbigant Musk for women, probably about the same time frame as Monsieur Musk (1972). Can you help me please?

Sylvia

Monsieur Musk by Houbigant 4.28 out of 5 based on 38 ratings and 18 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Houbigant Monsieur Musk fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Houbigant Monsieur Musk, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Monsieur Musk by Houbigant. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Monsieur Musk by Houbigant represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.