Designers » F-H » Oriental « Groups

Monsieur Musk Houbigant for men
dislike

tobacco
whiskey

Monsieur Musk by Houbigant is a Oriental fragrance for men. Monsieur Musk was launched in 1973. The fragrance features spices, musk and tobacco.

Spices Musk Tobacco

Royall Muske

Monsieur Musk Fragrance Reviews

steve0580
steve0580

This review is based on the Dana version, which is the latest incarnation of this classic. I received this as a blind trade. Being a fan of musks and in particular, 70s musks, it seemed that it would be an easy love.

The initial opening is odd, because it's soapy and ashy. The ashen effects strongly reminds me of Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial but luckily, that dies away within the first ten minutes. From there, it retracts and becomes a soapy clean or shampoo soapy, fresh and of course, musky. It gets better over the life of the fragrance.

While the sillage isn't impressive, the longevity is, especially for this type of fragrance. As I write this, it's been over 8 hours and I'm still easily able to pick it up as a skin scent.

It's in the category of "like", so I can't say I'm disappointed but I can't see it getting a lot of wear out of my collection either.

KajiraSuzanne
KajiraSuzanne

I purchased this cologne as part of a Dana gift set, as a Christmas present for my fiancé. It is a surprisingly strong "just this side of dirty" musk with a slightly oily/sweet spicy accord and rich tobacco notes. I also detect a hint of dry leather and just a touch of baby powder towards the drydown.
Longevity is excellent, while the sillage is moderate.
This is NOT an "office fragrance" unless used in very small amounts. It is a great cologne for night, as a matter of fact my love wore it on Valentine's Day!

PercivalGoldstone
PercivalGoldstone

Can't speak about the vintage version but the current formulation from Dana is a soapy, white musk. Somewhat similar to Kouros, actually. Not quite as bright.

lomerlaw
lomerlaw

The current version of Monsieur Musk is a dated, soapy musk formulation. There's a spicy component to this, but the spices are a nondescript melange, and the primary note is a rather artificial and cheap musk note that leaves us with a sense of soap. The best way to describe it is to say that it reminds me of a 1970's musk-scented soap-on-a-rope. Monsieur Musk is not a disaster, but there are better bargain-priced musk fragrances available at your local drug store.

glitteralex
glitteralex

We decided to do a flight sampling of Monsieur Musk while bottles of various concentrations by all three makers were at hand. It's a warm, rainy day here in Lake Tahoe so the notes will be more pronounced than in our usual aridity.

The King of Monsieur Musk is for certain the vintage version by Houbigant. The AfterShave and AfterShave/Cologne smell identical. Notes we find are: Bergamot, Lemon, Lavender, Leather, Tobacco Leaf, Rosa Damascene, Coumarin, Musk, Galbanum, and Moss. A Musky Fougere (also fits the Chypre format), with incredible density, nice development, and big sillage. It sits on the skin with a spicy, green, velvet quality that is unparalleled. Highly recommended.

The next MM we sampled was the vintage "Cologne" by Parfums Parquet* in the clear bottle. The straw color was much lighter than the Houbigant juice, and so was the formula. I would put concentration of oils at about half that of the Houbigant vintage. A lilting Lemon opening gives way to a Waxy, Rosy heart with Green Notes. The Spice, which gave the original formula sparkle, is very subdued. Any costly Resins have been eliminated. The Musk is likely synthetic, and takes a good half an hour to really develop. It is mild and pleasant, but juxtaposed to its predecessor, it's a mere phantom of the original.

This brings us to the readily available and reasonably priced cologne currently issued by the third manufacturer of this scent, Dana. Compared to the Cologne by Parfums Parquet, Dana has amped up the opening with more Bergamot. They revived the Lavender from the Houbigant original, and replenished some of the Spice- albeit a jagged, shallow, and generic one. My guess is that it's some sort of "spice blend" put out by fragrance base manufacturers. Missing here, that's present in both previous versions, is a supple base (Leather and Moss in the Houbigant and Wax in the Parfums Parquet). Without adding the cost of a good fixative to the formula, it could benefit from a little Vanillin to warm things up. It's a sharp and empty, but on the skin of a man, it could come alive.

b.n. Fragrance notes are not official, but only our impressions.

*To the best of my knowledge, Parfums Parquet is a subsidiary or descendent of the House of Houbigant. I believe it owned and manufactured the MM formula before it came to Dana.

ericrico
ericrico

Review for Vintage Houbigant juice...

A warm, inviting and oriental scent that is smooth and well-blended. A cozy, throw-back but something that feels more like a nice comforting 'blanket' of scent rather than a cologne or after-shave. Old-school in character, but never off-putting. This is most definitely beyond a typical drugstore 'musk' offering. After searching for a complete list of notes and numerous wearings, I found this to be more accurate:

Top notes: grapefruit, lemon, spices, lavender, green notes (herbs)
Heart notes: cedar wood, patchouli
Base notes: amber, tonka bean, moss, tobacco & musk

I agree with those who find the slightly smoky qualities here along with the herbaceous green & woody notes to warm very naturally on the skin to an alluring and long-lasting After Shave/Cologne. It is very classic, but doesn't feel dated. The musk here is not as dominant as one would think. The herbs, patchouli, tobacco, along with the warm oriental vibe really linger with a soft, slightly-powdery musk that is in balance. Excellent on skin (oily and full of vigor) and lasts for days on clothing. Comfort and class in a bottle.

A very inviting scent, that while classified as a 'musk', reveals a lot more depth and structure. Impressive. Recommended.

Vintage only.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

A friend of mine found a vintage bottle of this and was kind enough to make me a 1 ml sample.

I'm not a fan of the top notes... it was somewhat alarming going on me. (That, "Oh, no, what am I doing?" feeling.) It struck me at first as being overwhelmingly... floral? Can that be? It then settled down into the musk note.

Sadly... I do not care for it. It just smells too dated. I'm okay with Kiehl's Musk Oil and the white musk in Mugler Cologne, but this one comes across as being just too cloying.

I don't get the tobacco note that's supposed to be in this.

I'm not especially a musk person, I am finding out.

Chumley
Chumley

I have been wearing Monsieur Houbigant Musk since the mid-1970s and find that it goes well with leather. I never detected the tobacco essence in the past. I have tried one of the CUBA essences by Parfums Des Champs which has a definite tobacco component. I am currently seeking a cologne or after shave with a fairly strong tobacco component in it - Any suggestions?

FlirtBoy
FlirtBoy

I do have Houbigant version, both AS and Cologne and both of them are pretty longlasting and musky-clean in a pleasant "vintage" way...nevertheless perfectly wearable nowadays as well. Suitable for a mature man I´d say... 7.5/10

keisterfeaster
keisterfeaster

I have loved this stuff since I was a teen and into my 20's. It was discontinued in my 20's and I've always wished I could find another bottle. Imagine my surprise when I do a lil research online and find out that's it's back in production! I've heard the formulation has changed and if it has it hasn't changed very much. If I had a bottle of the original and did a comparison with Dana's reproduction I might find some differences but it smells the way I remember and I'm so happy to have Monsieur Musk in my arsenal, even if Houbigant isn't making it anymore.

It smells very clean and classy. Masculine. I'm not great with identifying individual notes but I never noticed tobacco in the mix, which is included in the notes up top in the description. Definitely worth a blind buy if you like clean, masculine musk scents. I used to get compliments on this when I wore it but I wore it mainly for myself.

frenchwhore237
frenchwhore237

Picked this up today and I regret to say it sucked. I blind bought this for 8 bucks luckily. There are two notes that go on for hours. Dirty socks and scrotum. I needed to relieve myself of this plague and threw both the aftershave and spray cologne out the window. This isnt so great after the hype!

Redbeard
Redbeard

This is the nicest of the old-style musks that I've tried so far. It's a clean soapy musk rather than a sweaty libidinous musk, which I think makes it smell less stuck in its era than others do. It makes me feel clean and professional, yet virile, all the while employing a surprising amount of florals. I don't have remotely enough experience with florals to tell you just what's in there, but I sure notice them when I exhale on the spot and then inhale slowly! It's really interesting how just adding that musk in there transforms what might have been a girly floral into musky man juice. An excellent traditional cheapy...I'll have to see if I can find a small bottle of the EDC, even though the aftershave is strong enough.

funnyboy
funnyboy

I bought the Houbigant version off e bay.Strong and it is perfect for the English winter.Not overpowering if you do not apply too much.
A great comforting scent with no flowers and plenty of leather.
You could wear this on any occasion but I love wearing it outdoors on walks, or in the garden whist working and I am so happy .I found a bottle as it was over 20 years ago since I had my first one.
I dont think that under 30's would appreciate this fragrance and I will be sure to keep one in my collection.The bottle I own is a splash as I am not sure if it was ever produced in a spray.
My rating a good 8.5 out of 10..

cmoca
cmoca

I bought this for my ex as he really likes musk (more into the Egyptian musk / body oils) and he liked it - and I LOVED it. IT's sweet, long lasting but not strong. Amazing sillage. You don't need to use much and it is not overpowering. It's smooth from the first dash until the end - which ...well.. it never ends. Fills the room without being overpowering. I absolutely love it.
For women, I like Jovan Musk, which my ex also likes, so it might be an ok unisex juice :)

shamus1
shamus1

Monsieur Musk isn't really what comes to mind when I think of musk fragrances, but it's still great. To me, Monsieur Musk smells more leathery and mossy than musky.

The musk in this smells dry and musty, rather than powdery and animalic. It creates a smell that reminds me of old worn leather. The musk doesn't become obvious to me until well into the drydown.

Old school, warm and rich, this is one macho musk.

MY RATING: 8/10

echo1265
echo1265

I had worn this fragrance since the early 70's and it had always been a delight to wear, not only to myself, but to others who happened to catch it's scent when crossing my path. I never diclosed what it was I was wearing and it always was a topic of discussion. However, in recent years and although the scent remains the same, the long lasting ability of the fragrance has declined. One might as well use one of the better and leading dish detergents on the market these days to compensate. A classic has been ruined! It has been watered down and is not the product it once was. At best, the scent will last roughly about one hour and then it's only a memory. It should be criminal that this product today is peddled as the original without the character that was once standard to this fragrance. Unless the original is reinstated I will never use this product again nor will I ever purchase another Dana Product knowingly because I believe that if this product has been reduced to nothing more than sweetened water, then chances are that many more products are unable to deliver what the manufacturer claims. Buyer beware!!!!

Matt Oldham
Matt Oldham

My aunt used to wear nothing but the Houbigant musk for women and it was beautiful. Kiehl's Musk is very similar except that it starts out extremely raunchy before becoming extremely clean--like the Houbigant as I remember it.

Aqua218
Aqua218

This was my dad's signature cologne. When he died I grabbed his half used bottle from the bathroom. For the last 10 years I couldn't bring myself to smell it - it was just to painful. But yesterday I found it in a drawer and decided to close my eyes and take a whiff. It was as if my dad was right there beside me and I wasn't sad at all. A sense of peace came over me. The scent was just so perfectly masculine and comforting. It fit my dad's character perfectly...classy, masculine and strong.

RobbieX
RobbieX

A really nice inexpensive men's fragrance. Quite potent, would like more of this. Jovan Musk is equally as good in my opinion.

junior halston
junior halston

The only musk I will wear. I have not tried it since Dana Fragrance has taken over the rights to this - I do hope they did not play with the blend.

Usually musk is just too powdery and effeminate smell but Monsieur Musk has this blend of greens and tobacco along with the musk that make this scent unique and wearable on my skin.

A cheapy but goodie!

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

This is all my husband wares!!!!!! I love this scent on him, I have never smelled this on any other man other than my own!

Tiny Tim - I just found this, and in case you ever come back ... the Old Stuff still works. I have a bottle from the mid-70's and just now dabbed on a tiny bit (All It Takes!) and am preparing to lock the doors.

guest_Tiny Tim
guest_Tiny Tim

So, the assortmemet of fragrances is astounding. I am 57 and the first I ever used were my Dad's classics back in 1965! Old Spice, Mennen's, Brut, Hai Karate, Canoe and British Sterling, and just discovered Mounsieur Musk in 2007 and it was purchased due to the highly postive effect it had on several women. Others hated it,,,There are strong masculine romantic overtones and add a dash of Athena Pheromone! I am married now but in the not too distant past, success of dating was actually associated with this form of Musk. The first dude who shared with me his smell that was magic with the women and he said that I need to get "the real Monsieur Mus by Houbigant)..bought out by Dana in 1995/6,so somewhere on some shelf lies the old stuff. Sherlock Holmes is looking. Anybody seen or smelled the one prior to 1995? Would the chemicals stay stable of out of light and normal room temp storage? Viking

ily_sb
ily_sb

I don't like this scent ... smells like an old man's cologne, a scent truly outdated .I've purchased a little bottle because of good reviews and I guess I'll give it away as a gift now...

sophywt
sophywt

Simply superb!

I grabbed it more due to my curiosity, and actually didn't expect that it smells so nice. I thought a scent from that era(70s) might be too "dated" for nowadays tastes but I know now I was wrong!

Monsieur Musk is a fresh green musk scent with considerably tobacco undertone, quite classic structure. But it suprised me that it's so well-balanced, the not-too-dry green herbal accompanied slightly spiced notes, subtle clean musk (compare with nowadays super clean, pale, and in face musk) and smoky-but-no-dirty tobacco take turns "sing" their parts, either a solo or a choir, and the whole scent is in a heavenly harmony.
There's not anything tricky or edge in this scent and it smells just great and classy.

I don't know the dana's version, it maybe lost some of its quality but still remainds as one of the nicest masculine scents.

I am trying to find Houbigant Musk for women, probably about the same time frame as Monsieur Musk (1972). Can you help me please?

Sylvia

Monsieur Musk by Houbigant 4.18 out of 5 based on 57 ratings and 26 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Houbigant Monsieur Musk fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Houbigant Monsieur Musk, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Monsieur Musk by Houbigant. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Monsieur Musk by Houbigant represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.