Designers » F-H » Oriental Floral « Groups

Raffinee Houbigant for women

Raffinee Houbigant for women
dislike

Raffinee by Houbigant is a Oriental Floral fragrance for women. Raffinee was launched in 1982. The nose behind this fragrance is Houbigant. Top notes are carnation, orange blossom, plum, clary sage, jasmine, lemon, bergamot and rose; middle notes are mimosa, tuberose, tonka bean, orchid, osmanthus, orris root, hiacynth and ylang-ylang; base notes are spices, cypress, sandalwood, cinnamon, musk, vanilla, vetiver and incense.

Carnation Orange Blossom Plum Clary Sage Jasmine Lemon Bergamot Rose

Sherihan

My bottle is Houbigant's , and it is AMMAZING

judyk
judyk

@Lillitth, sounds like your sample was old and off. I have a couple of older bottles and they're not the least bit thick. Plus they smell lovely - if you like tuberose, carnation and spices. Raffinée reminds me of SpellBound's sweet baby sister.

Lillitth
Lillitth

I received a tester of this fragrance and it LOOKS potent. Very dark amber and kind of thick. So I knew I needed to try just a dot on each wrist. Let me just say that I like strong perfumes, but this one started turning on me within about 15 minutes. I'm not sure what made it turn into such a horrible experience for me. I think it might be the carnation. It started with such a mish mash of notes that it just smelled odd. My husband didn't think it was as bad as all that, but he said it was too strong for him to make a decision about it and asked me to wait for a couple of hours. I couldn't do it. The dry down made me want to get away from myself. I wanted to give it a chance but I wound up having to go in and and actually wash it off.

cmkensok
cmkensok

I loved the original Houbigant Raffinnee but I do not care for the Dana Raffinnee of later years. I would love to find another perfume that is very similar to the original.

ms rochambeau
ms rochambeau

Raffinee was one of my flea market finds that I keep as a reference for a type of scent. It just seems like a mish-mash of notes that was Houbigant's attempt to cash in on the popularity of the Oriental-style of Opium that had just come out a few years before, but the materials weren't of the same quality and they even put the pure parfum (which is the concentration I have) in a cheesy, mostly plastic bottle.

Scout
Scout

I wore this in the 80s / early 90s during the winter, and I am actually relieved that I did it while I was young. I don't think I have the chemistry, hormones, skin dew to carry this off now. It was pure luxury, and I would bury my face in my turtleneck neck to inhale where the heat and scent radiated from my neck to the sweater. I especially found it to take me into a meditative state good for studying and long hours of reading and reflecting and writing.
This was a contrast of the time to Liz Claiborne Realities, which was citrusy bright and corporate, and the Lauren floral. Anais Anais was somewhere in the middle for everyday.
I had super short hair in a time when that was considered to be androgenous. Most women were rocking the long perms and making them big. My hair was tucked tight at the nape of my neck in a very short 'do. This fragrance made me feel feminine without being girly. It was sensual without the annoyance of Opium. There were some flowers buried deep in there that you were rewarded with if you got close enough. If a boyfriend would kiss my neck and I would kiss him back this almost gourmand sweetness was still there and I could taste it on my lips.
I'm sorry you all hate this. I have stunning memories of it.

mhubbard
mhubbard

I was unduly influenced by this having been worn by someone I didn't like in a situation I liked even less.

VanillaTabbyCat1963
VanillaTabbyCat1963

Sorting though the perfumes I have stored in a spare cupboard not currently in rotation, I curiously sampled my Raffinee. The delicious ambergis/orange spices accord is just what I am in the mood for wearing lately, and put it back in with my fragrances in heavy circulation...

Next, I re-read the review I wrote some time ago, and it sounded like it was written by a stranger. How could I have not loved this gently sweet, amber, orange and spice melody is the great mystery of the moment.
Raffinee is such a blessedly beautiful composition. The amber warm as melted butter and maple syrup.
I have to laugh to myself for how ridiculosly easy it was for me to spend more than 4 times it's price for 24 Faubourg, a fragrance which for all it's incredible beauty I have found doesn't budge on my skin after the inital spritz.
Raffinee, although not the same by any means has the sillage I am looking for, and hits upon many of desirable elements of 24 Fauborg.There's the orange with spices accord along with warm, heavenly ambergis drydown.The orris,ylang, hyacynth are all there. Layer on some of the high quality gardenia soliflore I possess if andwhen I want to duplicate the stong white flower accord.
The contrasts between white flowers and earthy amber are surely the central component of 24's legendary status.Raffinee projects much more boldly and warmly, like the ambient heat of the sun rising off warmed skin at the beach. I get to enjoy Raffinee for myself, instead of having to steal a sniff my arm or hope to get a ribbon of scent drifting past..

I love 24 Fauborg, but regrettably, I have to wonder if my cool body temperture is the foil yet again!!

celebrity89
celebrity89

Same family as Navy, Oscar de la Renta, Gloria Van der Built.

AngieGCarp
AngieGCarp

So sad. I tried the new version of Raffinee by Dana and it is just a whisper it used to be. My mother wore the original in the 80's so it is a "memory scent". It has pretty good staying power but NO sillage. I am going to give it to my mom because she likes lighter perfumes than I do. :(

vintage_scent
vintage_scent

This is the best aged champagne in the house. Smooth, well-blended, beautiful. I wore this back in the 80's and just recently purchased an old formula bottle. It's that expertly crafted full-bodied powdery cinnamon spiced potion that I remember and loved so well.

It does remind one a bit of Lou Lou...a bit more grown up. I never get tired of this scent, it's just beautiful. My all time favorite face powder scent! ;)

The_Entity
The_Entity

Lovely stuff, a cheaper Lou Lou and Red Door rolled into one :)

NYCTiffany
NYCTiffany

Well when i got this in the mail and took a look at it i said "Uh oh.. this is probably really stank" It just looks like its super heavy. I sprayed it on and to my shock its actually quite nice! It is heavy, it does smell like Navy but better (a little lighter) its def a Classy Evening scent. This is just one of those Fragrances: if you spray too much you will smell like a old woman and give people headaches, or if you seriously mist it and just walk into the mist, or spray the wrist then rub that all over, it smells very sexy classy, high end and vintage with a modern twist! This is not for anyone under 25 and it is not a day time scent. It smells like a Holiday specialty hot drink (think orange, spice, cinnamon, and fruit with a hint of edible flower) its very nice when used lightly!

ecofreak2001
ecofreak2001

Sooo 80's; such a powerful scent. On me, it's smelled like a spicy, orange flower tea. Not bad, but I don't want to smell like tea. It gave me a headache. The dry down is too powdery for my taste. I gave it to my mother in law, who seems to love this dated fragrances.

The Swedish girl
The Swedish girl

Oh yes! This is lovely.

It smells like all the good parts of Cacharel LouLou and Vanderbilt. The jasmine is not very dirty, so I can stand it. I hate indolic flowers...

Incense, spices, sandalwood, vanilla, amber... warm, smooth, dark, mystical and sexy.
Very potent oriental. Not for the shy, cause you WILL get noticed wearing this.
Very vintage and fantastic.

UPDATE: I got myself a reformulated bottle of this made by "Alladin fragrances", and it smelled really really bad. Like cat pee and stale cigarett ashes. It`s so damn sad! :,-(

Shadowfroggy
Shadowfroggy

Ugh, this smells just like the commercial strength insecticide used by the pest control service in an apartment building I had the misfortune of living in years ago in Queens, NY. The second Monday of evey month I smelled it and knew that roaches were dying. Me thinks if the exterminator just used this he'd have gotten the same results.

perhapspersephone
perhapspersephone

This used to be my super sexy potion. I haven't seen it around or smelled it in God knows how long . I think I will have to grab a bottle for old times sake . Memories !

saintlunaire
saintlunaire

For fans of the 80 s. Imagine Linda Evans/Christelle Carrington with a super brushing and parfumed with Raffinée...

nananessa
nananessa

I have worn this fragrance off and on through out the years since the early 80s.

It is that woodsy, spicy, Oriental type floral that I love. I just gravitate to these Oriental florals that are strong in their base notes with lots of what I call "bottom" (more earthiness) to it.

It lingers well after 8 hours or so.

This is a flirty, seductive, sensual type fragrance not for the faint at heart!

Scarlette
Scarlette

Was one of my favorites back in the 80's.

Cinnamon, Carnations, and Class! This is a strong, sweet, confident scent that begs for fancy clothes! I love to wear it anytime. Is sweet, warm, slightly spicy, and lovely. It reminds me of LouLou, but is softer, sweeter, and more wearable. Powdery like Lou Lou & Gloria Vanderbilt. Sweet classy powder. Just lovely.

UD: And I used up at all up and need another! ADORE it! Be sure to get the vintage!

sky76sky
sky76sky

Whoa! Shoulder-pads, hairspray, full face make-up....the 80's come flooding back. This is a full-on, sweet floriental with a plastic punch.

I admit: I am NOT a big fan of the 80's. The music, the outfits, the attitude, the food. I grew my way around it, but I never fully embrace it.

OK - I owned a pair of pixie boots & a reversable cartoon animal jumper...but I was very grateful for the 90s to arrive.

Raffinee is exactly how my mother's hair & make-up drawer in her beautiful wooden dressing table smelled. EXACTLY. If I could gather up all the Max Factor Gay Whisper pressed powders, blue Cover Girl eye shadows, waxy Rimmel lipsticks, Elnett hairsprays, numerous powder puffs, Opium samples, polishes, lotions & potions I would have Raffinee.

I should hate it....but....but....

Raffinnee is strong, sweet & filled with cinnamon. At first, a plastic-plum & sage arrive followed by a peek-a-boo floral aspect - strong & sweet. The main body of this scent is cinnamon, carnation, osmanthus & a whole heap of powder on My Little Pony plastic.

Whilst Tabu made me feel uneasy (in the same way that Kingdom did), Raffinee is wearable. You could go out on the town with her without being embarrassed & she'd last her way through a few disco dancing moves.

Raffinee makes me feel happy. You can't buy happiness but you can buy a whole heap of memories in just one squirt.

olga1780
olga1780

Just got a vintage brand new bottle of EDP...and wow, this is gorgeous! I didn't get my hopes too high because you never know with these old school "stinkers" and I had to send back quite a few of them recently, but Ruffinee turned out to be absolutely beautiful. Warm carnation and jasmine, slightly sweet and spicy, it feels like pure luxury on the skin. I think this is what Gorgio Red is trying to be but completely misses the point and lacks the complexity and this luxurious feel.
Ruffenee is a wonderful choice for a dinner at a fancy restauraunt on a winter night. And don't forget to wear your fur coat to match this beauty!!!

Don't know about the version made by Dana, but Houbigant quality is always exceptional.

junior halston
junior halston

A true women 80's power scent. I see the padded shoulders and blue eye shadow and very very red lipstick with this one. I guess you could classify this one as a florential.

sheridanellis
sheridanellis

My mom wore this in the 1980's so there is that olfactory connection there for me that is full of sentiment. I love this! If you are a fan of the original version of Raffinee, you may also love a not to familiar gem called "Red Pearl". They are very similar in composition but I feel Red Pearl is more complex and longer lasting on the skin. It is also very inexpensive which always shocks me! You just never know what you are going to get with perfume! I think that these can be worn in the winter for the "cozy" factor or even in the summer....hot nights out dancing would bring out this fragrance like a cat on a hot tin roof!

Arabelle
Arabelle

The original version of this perfume was probably okay but the reformulation I got was disappointing. The top notes were pretty but they didn't last long. I couldn't get past the jarring, cheap middle notes. The composition of the bottom notes is a throwback to yesteryears when they didn't have the advanced perfumery techniques we have today. This perfume will be returned promptly to the store. Why waste time on a mediocre fragrance when there are so many excellent perfumes to explore?

RRCOOLMAMA2
RRCOOLMAMA2

The smell of this reminds me of something my dad used to cook. A type of chutney and it always made our guests wanting to eat more. Yes it was strong to the nose, spices, sweetness of melasses then pepper then... Like whoa ''nelly'' did you take a shower after your shift at the restaurant. But yet, you didn't want ''nelly'' to leave, just stay a little longer and longer.

Just like chutney..You ignore it, you hate it, you get something you like from it, then you remember it, you desire it, you leave it then you must have more but not often.

Sissi
Sissi

This smells simular to Oscar De La Renta
with more spice in contrast to La Renta
have more frankincense and suble woods
i prefre Raffinee It stands out without
the overpowering Effects like Giorgio of Beverly Hills Red Has. i love the color of the liquid the bottle a little
above average but noting to whrite about but it's worth keeping when it's empty and put colored sand in it.

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

This is very nice but it has changed dramatically since the 1980's! Its way weaker and less powdery than it used to be. Time has a bad habit of changing things most times for the worse. Although this is a very nice scent, I have something to compare it to and I know the difference that most others don't know. Pretty scent still though.

GrannyBear
GrannyBear

As a fan of spicy scents, I love this one. My favourite flowery scents - carnation, jasmine, mimosa - also put in an appearance. Strangely enough, colleagues mistake it for "L'Air Du Temps" (another favourite!) when I wear it at work. A warm and feminine scent, with good staying power.

Amanda79
Amanda79

Woa, I bought this unsniffed this morning and had to take it back by lunch time! I never return fragrances but on this one I had to. I guess I can't pull off most fragrances made in the 80's. Those powdery notes they used back then had some power... POWER POWDER! Civet and aldehydes does not mix with me and my chemistry. I love the 2 reviews below but all I got was cinnamon that got swallowed by the powdery pee-pee fairy! I think even in the 80's this perfume was low in cost, so maybe its just cheaply made.

Aalia
Aalia

I would call it a "Spiced Oriental".
I would not call it a "Spicy Oriental" because the spice is light and mainly for the top notes. The spice lasts gently in the middle notes, but, not strongly. However-the whole perfume is strong! Itś pungent, persistent,loud, and the fixation is great. I suppose I used this fragrance, um, 20 years ago, and Raffinee instilled my love and fascination of uniquely styled orientals. Itś very Oriental, itś a tad gourmand. The spicy opening with sweetening plum leads to the strong florals that enwrap you like a velvet cape-next you wander into the mysterious, dreamy realm of sandalwood, musk, and insense, tonka, and vanilla combination wich creates a fantastic scent and carries the perfume all day, while creating the illusion of Amber and powdery notes in the base.

This perfume is definetly perfume in the 1980s category, for sure. It is remeniscent of Ciara, Lutece, and then a later more sophistcated Spellbound.
I had this perfume as a teen and a generous member sent me a large decant recently so I could enjoy it again.
I am enjoying it again, however it feels unusual and a bit cheap or lower quality to me now beacause the powdery dry down is so strong. It is only a touch sweet, and very strong!

F_A

Sherihan, at the very beginning the smell is really spicy and hot, but not sweet at all. (I just thought it reminds me the smell of Chinese spicy chicken soup a bit:)) But then it becomes sweeter like a black bitter chili chocolate.

F_A

I do love hot and spicy food - spicy meat, fish, chicken,soups, chocolates and other sweets:) That is the reason why I really loved Raffinee!

Raffinee has the edible spicy smell of black chocolate with chili peppers. I can also smell a nice note of cinnamon, no flowers, no fruits. Raffinee is a very intriguant, complex, unusual oriental fragrance. Love it!

Raffinee by Houbigant 3.61 out of 5 based on 130 ratings and 33 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Houbigant Raffinee fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Houbigant Raffinee, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Raffinee by Houbigant. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Raffinee by Houbigant represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.