Designers » F-H » Oriental Vanilla « Groups

dislike

tuberose
tobacco
cacao

The Achtung project is a series of 8 fragrances inspired by the Sacred Geometric Art of artist Rick Barchenger, part of a multi-media series of products that include fragrances by House of Matriarch, original art by Rich Barchenger and fashions by ARONHIX. The collection launches from Seattle, WA on 8/8/13.

Gateways is a fragrant interpretation of Barchenger's art piece "Unplugged."

Gateways is an all-natural perfume that incorporates notes of Texas chocolate, amber, mitti attar (earth scent), tobacco, tuberose, ambreine (labdanum), muhuhu, Haitian vetiver and boutique Hawaiian vanilla. Gateways was launched in 2013. The nose behind this fragrance is Christi Meshell.

Chocolate Agarwood (Oud) Soil tincture Amber Tobacco Tuberose Labdanum Muhuhu Haitian Vetiver Vanilla

Gateways Fragrance Reviews

pravda48
pravda48

Interesting that most see this as 'gourmand lite'. On me that's only in the opening; a blast a sweet, rich and delightful tuberose and vanilla that sadly doesn't last longer than 30 mins or so. After that it's very dark in a spiced woods way. Though not familiar with muhuhu, as that is the only wood here I'm getting a lot of that alongside a peppery type of vetiver. There is also the tiniest bit of dark chocolate (think spicy Mexican chocolate) and maybe a touch of earthiness & tobacco. The tiniest hints of sweet vanilla are detectable to me later on but the woods and vetiver are the most obvious by far.

Sillage is medium, longevity about 4 hrs with 2 sprays this time, though detectable with my nose up close for a long time.

So I've reached number 5 in the series and this one has been suprisingly good.
Not that I didn't look at the notes on here first and think 'hmmm...interesting?' but I wasn't sure I'd like the soil tincture element which in some perfumes I find hideous.
I'm not sure whether its because I'm not used to pure purfume concentration but this was awful when I opened the bottle and first applied it...really awful...extremely earthy and unpleasant.
Takes a little bit to even appreciate what it is? but then the gourmand accords of chocolate and vanilla shine through, with the smoothness of Amber, oud, and vetiver underneath. Its dark (not too dark) and sumptuous with a lovely dry down, it's nice.
An interesting fragrance.

Gardenia_Girl
Gardenia_Girl

I get the delectable chocolate up front, deep rich dark, then the earthy patchouli-tobacco quickly follows suit. It is actually a 'clean' patchouli, some patchouli (especially natural based) gets that acrid or cloying soil that dominates all the other notes, not here, it's surprisingly harmonious. Gateways brings saturated yet smooth tobacco and patchouli full and deep and incredibly light (slightly green), neither takes the spotlight, it is evenly shared with the lightly sweet, rich dark chocolate, and, as time goes on, you get a little more creaminess by a fatty tuberose combined with the elegance of a really finely blended aoud. Longevity was 5 hours.

thatguyjoe27
thatguyjoe27

Great scent.......Awesome Gourmand....Off application you get chocolate &tobacco with a hint of fresh green. a little longer in and you get the vanilla & slight floral. Seems like theres oud in here to add to the dark seducing vibe that this scent aims to bring. Oud is faint though and not a heavy type of oud like a black afgano. I applied at 5 am and by 8 pm i still smelled this scent. Seems a little linear but very well blended. My only knock is the bottle seemed a little small(though very beautiful) and when you screw off the cap there isn't a spray atomizer.....its a splash. When I applied this scent I went to give my sister a hug as I left and when she got home she said she smelled just like me the whole day.....so sillage is awesome. very unisex & a damn good scent that must be at the least tried.(although I did blind buy as I do with most of my fragrances lol ) YT- @ joeanthony1227

iamfcon
iamfcon

Chocolate and soil tincture? You've got my curiosity.

Gateways by House of Matriarch 4.50 out of 5 based on 11 ratings and 5 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about House of Matriarch Gateways fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about House of Matriarch Gateways, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Gateways by House of Matriarch. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Gateways by House of Matriarch represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.

House of Matriarch Sexmagic House of Matriarch Ambre Vie House of Matriarch Devotion Tom Ford Tuscan Leather Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme House of Matriarch Epiphany House of Matriarch Baby Musk House of Matriarch Francesca M. Micallef Note Vanillee Creed Aventus Tauer Perfumes 03 Lonestar Memories Histoires de Parfums 1969 Parfum de Revolte Guy Laroche Drakkar Noir Dolce&Gabbana D&G Anthology L`Amoureux 6 Ralph Lauren Safari for Men Serge Lutens Five O`Clock Au Gingembre Creed Royal Oud Le Labo Labdanum 18 House of Matriarch Happy Baby House of Matriarch Immortal