Designers » F-H » Oriental Woody « Groups

Sexmagic House of Matriarch for women and men

Sexmagic House of Matriarch for women and men
dislike

leather

The Achtung project is a series of 8 fragrances inspired by the Sacred Geometric Art of artist Rick Barchenger, part of a multi-media series of products that include fragrances by House of Matriarch, original art by Rich Barchenger and fashions by ARONHIX. The collection launches from Seattle, WA on 8/8/13.

Sexmagic is the fragrant interpretation of Barchenger's art piece "Speed of Love."

Sexmagic is an all-natural Woody fragrance that includes notes of Gandhi Root, Buddha wood, damiana, evergreens, amber, oud, leather, Mysore sandal, pinewood, moss, violets, cedar blend and choyas. Sexmagic was launched in 2013. The nose behind this fragrance is Christi Meshell.

Pine Tree Woody Notes Agarwood (Oud) Green Notes Amber Leather Sandalwood Moss Violet Cedar Choya Loban

Songe d'un Bois d'Ete

Sexmagic Fragrance Reviews

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Sexmagic opens with a fantastic, gloomy, austere and almost “mystical” blend comprising a breathtaking contrast between a peculiar herbal-leather accord which is extremely soft and mellow yet really “black”, and a ghastly breeze of thin floral notes and something almost “candied”, blended together with something reminding me of galbanum and mossy notes, providing a distant echo of traditional masculine fougères. The charme of Sexmagic is really powerful and unique: I am not actually sure of the reason why, but it is. It’s extremely dark, but in a sort of softer, more sensual, more enigmatic way than usual, managing to make also airy-colorful notes smell somehow gloomy and creepy. I would define this as almost “grotesque”, like a baroque “vanitas” painting: the smell of a dusty still life, of something once aristocratic and now dead – actually, there’s a feel of “death” in fact here. But much carnal and sensual too, I really get the Crowleyan inspiration behind the name of the scent. Feelings aside, it’s a really good and solid scent, with a perfect and clever composition, and great materials, as far as I can smell. The evolution is really peculiar, as the “pyramid” of the notes smells almost inverted: it’s like if the mellow, soft and hyper-black leather-herbs accord was on top, and then you get the lighter, fresher, woodier notes. The leather accord is great and rich, with a unique sort of plushy, velvety and gloomy texture that I rarely found elsewhere, fascinatingly wrapped into a balsamic, ambery-resinous, slightly floral sort of dusty shade. The drydown is sadly not that great in my opinion, as it’s a bit dry, thin and linear, but still really nice – basically almost only leathery-woody. A nondescript, clever, fascinating, extremely sophisticated gem which finally gives some sense and credit to the word “niche” (taking all this into account, the price is still completely crazy).

8-8,5/10

Figmentspot
Figmentspot

Was kindly sent a gift sample of this with an order of Matriarch’s colossal Blackbird, and may, at this point, be leaning more toward Sexmagic.

Starts off intense, dry, resin, leather, oud-ee with the slightest smoke & skank edge, then morphs within the hour into such beauty: old book, faint flower (violet?), ash. It’s open in that layered living way. Maybe ‘clear’ is the word? It is not a ‘clean’ scent. Don’t know if it’s sex exactly, but it makes me delicious, it’s spiritual, and what’s finer than that?

How I love love love shapeshifting fumes. & Christi Meshell.

s.alswayeq
s.alswayeq

احد أروع عطور الجلود على الاطلاق فخم
رائحة الجلود ليس كرائحة الجلود المدبوغه او المدخنه وليست كرائحة الجلود الممزوجة بلمسة حلوه او سويتيه

هناك الجلود تعطيك شعور بتواجد مكون بارد مخدرا. وكانك لبست معطفك الجلدي الفاخر برائحة الجلدية الممزيه وخرجت من بيتك ولفحتك تلك الرياح الشديدة البرودة التي امتزجت مع رائحة معطفك

عطر سشتعر معه بتلك الأجواء الباردة بالطبيعه الخضراء وانتعاشها
لمسة الجلود والصبار واللبان والقربن والبنفسج اعطت جمال وروعة بجناب المكونات الاخرى كالسيدار الواضح في العطر ولمسة العنبر برائحته التي فيها جانب من رائحة التربه او الرمال

انصح محبي السيدار والعنبر وكذلك الجلود بتجربة العطر

بالفعكل مبتكرة العطر طالما انها لعبت في ظل مكونات طبيعية ولم تستخدم مكونات مخلقة كيميائا تساعدها في اخراج العطر بهذا الشكل اجدها تفوق ونميزا وابداعا تملكه مالكة هذه الدار.

Right, so I'm starting with this one from the Achtung range because I knew I'd love it judging by the notes listed on frgrantica...and boy was I not dissappointed! In fact it was the publicity and features on this site that even made me aware of the house of matriarch in the first place.
So, Sexmagic...what a cool name for starters any fragrance thats named after half of a RHCP album is alright by me!
This fragrance is sexy, smouldering even and you can detect the different wood notes which exists in a kind of creamy oud spectrum. To be honest I'm not familiar with Buddah wood, Ghandi root and damiana...they're obviously great ingredients.
What I do know is that this is a deliciously well concieved scent and a great start to my sampler from this collection and this house.
It's smokey, dark and strong things I'm not usually mad on but this gets it right by striking a good balance. This will be one I'll be getting a bottle of for certain.

extrait21
extrait21

I got to sample all of the Achtung line at the launch party on Thursday. SexMagic was one of my favorites from the line (My faves being SexMagic, Epiphany, and Devotion) and one that I chose to wear on my skin that day. Aside from the oud notes, the more prominent note that I detected was cedar, and when speaking with Christi that is what she was trying to feature. She told me a fabulous story about why she chose to use no less than a dozen different varieties of cedar. I cannot recall all the details, but she spoke of the lost forests of Lebanon and the nearly extinct Port Orford forests of the Pacific coast. Christi was very passionate about the story behind this fragrance and how it came to be, as well as some of the other fragrances I had the privilege of hearing the story behind their creation. I find it unfortunate that these stories are not told on their website. They very thoughtful and fascinating. Similar to her fragrances, there is a lot of depth and layers to Christi Meshell!

I found SexMagic to be very warm, inviting, and sensual. It wears close to the skin, which I like, as I prefer only those that are close to me to smell what I am wearing, as opposed to smelling someones perfume two aisles over in the supermarket (you all know what I'm talking about;)

Overall, SexMagic is a fragrance that I loved from the first whiff and it was the one bottle that I chose to purchase and take home that day. Forgive me for not describing the notes in more detail, I am only a fragrance fan, not an expert! :)

deadidol
deadidol

Sexmagic goes on herbal and fierce with a faint bitterness that's akin to leafier, coniferous scents. It's somewhat dirty upfront, even a little sweaty, borrowing the semi-sweet leather note from Blackbird to construct a thick, heavy incense-type experience (of the non-smoky kind). It settles into a pairing of accords that feel a little like cumin over a complex, woody base, but cumin's not listed. Rather, the effect—dirty, but not fecally so—seems to be rendered through an incisive merging of Choya Loban (a difficult, smoky material) with violets. Oud's present, but sits calm, lending the composition a subdued familiarity. Oddly, given the scent's combining of wood notes that usually display creamy, buttery aspects (Mysore, Buddhawood), upfront I detect more of the pine and cedar notes than anything. But once it settles down, you're left with a wood blend that seems to get dirtier as it progresses. The overall composition is thick, but also notably rugged.

For me, this is a logical development of Blackbird without serving as a replacement. Both are dense walls of fragrance that sit heavily on the skin; and both invoke faint head-shop atmospherics through the merging of leather, ouds, and resins. But Sexmagic is dirtier (increasingly so) whereas the animalics in Blackbird are a little sweeter and more heady due to the cannabis note. So differences between the two are quite pronounced, but they're scents that clearly grew from a similar frame of mind.

As with most of the offerings from this line, the use of natural materials makes for unpredictable wearings. Matriarch fragrances tend to open strong, then go into hiding only to re-emerge in various forms throughout the rest of the day. Sexmagic stays fairly prominent throughout much of the ride, although it does taper off after a few hours to play hide go seek. Ideally this would be well-suited for those who prefer their fragrances to a be a little fuzzier and less disciplined than most, and it's one that I—being drawn to darker, heavier scents—enjoy immensely. If you liked Blackbird, some of the Nasomatto line, or even Amouage (although this isn't nearly as well-behaved or polished as an Amouage despite some connections to Fate Man), this one's definitely worth looking into more.

Sexmagic by House of Matriarch 4.55 out of 5 based on 27 ratings and 6 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about House of Matriarch Sexmagic fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about House of Matriarch Sexmagic, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Sexmagic by House of Matriarch. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Sexmagic by House of Matriarch represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.