Designers » I-K » Floral « Groups

White Gardenia Petals Illuminum for women and men

White Gardenia Petals Illuminum for women and men
dislike

White Gardenia Petals Illuminum for women and men Pictures

"The Illuminum collection is for those days when you are in the mood for something exquisitely simple and stylish."—Michael Boadi. The collection embraces 16 fragrances categorized in four olfactory groups (citrus, floral, oud and musk). Each group consists of four scents, while each of the fragrances contains eight carefully selected ingredients.

White Gardenia Petals opens with coconut. The floral trio - jasmine, lily of the valley and ylang-ylang form the heart, laid on the base of amber wood.

It is available in bottles of 50 and 100 ml.

In addition to creating the composition, Michael Boadi designed all the packaging as well as the logo and the branding.

White Gardenia Petals was launched in 2011.

Lily Bergamot Cassis

Jasmine Lily-of-the-Valley Gardenia Ylang-Ylang

Amber Precious Woods

long lasting -1

Central Park West

White Gardenia Petals Fragrance Reviews

Lilah Veil
Lilah Veil

For those who are curious and/or love this fragrance but find it too pricey -

I have not smelled this perfume. White florals are usually not my thing. Sheridenellis' review expresses my sentiments exactly and I much prefer the oriental category.

Being no perfume snob, as I cannot afford to be, I own (or have sampled)enough pricey 'fumes to decently know if the overall blend smells expensive whether it happens to be my thing or not. I am indiscriminate of brand or house. If the fragrance smells of well blended quality, I believe in giving credit where it is due.

With that, I made a quick excursion into my local Wal-Mart tonight for a need having nothing to do with fragrance. Being the junkie I am, I could not pass the smells without a quick scan. That is where I met with Royal Blooms by Parfums Belcam, a supposed imitation of Illuminum's White Gardenia Petals. I will not get into my loathing for imitations but a demon possessed my body and I did it. I actually tried an imitation for the first time in years because I lost my damn mind. It fell out somewhere in the parking lot or perhaps, like a raisin, rolled between the car seat cushions and disappeared wherever peanuts, coins, paperclips, corn flakes and toy cars spend eternity after falling into that great chasm. On with it...

Being from Louisiana, I know a good gardenia when I smell one. I usually steer clear of those also as a good gardenia not sickly sweet is rare in most perfumes. I meandered about the store aimlessly looking for whatever was so originally urgent which led me to go at 11pm central time, but found I could not concentrate without my brain. There was one function still intact however, as my olfactory was still connected to something. The absolute loveliest fresh green smell of natural gardenia sans nauseating syrup was very much there along with a floating, watery, genuinely good lily-of-the-valley. Wow! Only a faint hint of jasmine but enough, no coconut and woods but... those may be in the Seat Cushion Chasm as well. I have no idea.

I purchased my classified item but this scent was becoming a compulsion to me. I kept thinking about going back for The Evil Imitation Box called Royal Blooms, but badly in need of my brain, headed to my car to hopefully find it. Unfortunately it is still lost, as I made another trip back inside that hell called Wal-Mart and purchased Royal Blooms.

Since I haven't the money (or brain) to compare it to the original at this time, I can only say I am shocked and amazed how fresh, classy, demurely clean, and wonderfully blended this not-so-fake imitation is. Goooood quality flowers in Royal Bloom. Longevity is about 2.5 hours on me, not good but better than some expensive pures and edp's I own. It retails for $7.98 at Wal-Mart and can be found online at Belcam website for a few dollars more. Just a heads up for lovers of the real deal on a tight budget. Very pretty for a steal, and I am rarely moved by white florals. If you own the real thing you may find this bleh or meh in contrast to The Real, but it may be worth a try. :)

milkyway
milkyway

This does not have mint? Very surprising..since it smelled very minty the first time I sprayed it. The other way i could describe that opening is by comparing it with the smell of fizzy water - a little prickly and fresh. Gardenia is done wonderfully. it is not an exceptionally exciting flower and i doubt that there are many "interesting" gardenia fragrances out there.
This is a very nice, soft, sweet and fresh gardenia that settles into a clean soapy white flower scent. Not too bad, quite pleasant, and I believe that the lovers of clean scents will appreciate it as much as gardenia lovers..
The lasting power is wonderful on me - 8+h, the silage is also quite considerable, which is a big plus.

becuille
becuille

This perfume actually reminds me a lot of Kate Middleton: bland, inoffensive and utterly forgettable (sorry, Royalty lovers!)

It's just... meh. Technically, there's nothing wrong with it. It just doesn't excite me at all. It is exactly what it says it is, a pretty floral with gardenia centre stage. Personally, I feel Robert Piguet's Gardenia offers a far more interesting take on the note and is more worth the money.

This gets a bit soapy in the dry down and I found the longevity disappointing (around 4 hours).

I can't see it offending anyone, but I can't see it causing much of any kind of reaction.

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

Starts off strong with a lovely gardenia quickly backed up by a very nice tuberose, but half an hour later it smells like soap. Not a pleasant, just-bathed-the-baby soapiness either; it sort of smells like Dial, which is a very harsh antibacterial soap. Ick. After an hour it redeems itself somewhat with a reemerging flowery smell, but still and all, not something I would pay to smell like.

sheridanellis
sheridanellis

WGP seems a bit socially disorientated. I love the utter simplicity of this scent.
I love how innocent & angelic smelling it is. Yet it is also downright direct, mesmerizing & can even come off as overtly sensual. I've noticed that there is often something about many white floral fragrances that have made me feel deeply soothed & comforted, yet a bit anxious all at the same time, WGP being no exception. They can hold a complexity within their simplicity that is just a bit unnerving.
For example: this scent is quite narcotic like & provacative, yet has a very sweet & child like quality to the smell, perhaps unconsciously creating a bizarre scent confliction of some sort.
One thing is certain of the composition. The notes don't mess around. You know what you are smelling. It's not like trying to dissect a dish at a restaurant that won't share their recipe.
The notes are simple & linear. This comes off on my skin, to my nose, mostly as a floral scent reminiscent of the islands. It rather smells like a nice shampoo.

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on a decant. It reminds me of Tuberose Gardenia by Estée Lauder and Fracas by Robert Piguet to an extent. It has moderate projection and longevity on my skin.

Bihter
Bihter

I really like Kate Middleton's style, so I was quite courious about this fragrance. First of all, I did not get any coconut at all. I was expecting a modern, yet elegant and high quality scent, but something in this reminds me of the cheap smelling Avon Perceive. I'm happy to get a sample first. Don't blind buy!

esteban747
esteban747

Something in this fragrance is bugging me, what is it?
I was expecting Gardenia but instead I get a mélange of flowers...like a floral arrangement after three days, like roses that are about to die.
I try to like it, but I can't help it. You can find many, many, many other scents (expensive and affordable) that smell better than this.
I can't believe somebody choose this for a wedding, it's like an old fashion fragrance, awful.

hazarose
hazarose

royale like a glamourous princess

Flaringnostril
Flaringnostril

Sorry, this is not a review. I have not yet had the pleasure (I would hope) to try this perfume.

But I just HAVE TO say something:
SHERAPOP, you crack me up time and again.
Thanks for your tremendously entertaining reviews!
You're my hero.

British Royalty reminds me of The Pope, who, it appears, has now resigned. So maybe it's okay if I draw this comparison. When The Pope is The Pope, then everyone says that he speaks on behalf of God. Presumably, this is because he was ordained by God. How, then, can The Pope resign? I ask most sincerely.

So here we have another generation of British royalty: HRH Kate Middleton is the future Queen to be, barring an untimely death by someone appropriately linked to someone else appropriately situated. In fact, nothing is assured, I just learned from a quick Google:

"Elizabeth II is currently Queen (Regnant) of the United Kingdom. If she were to die tomorrow the Prince Charles would become King (Regnant) and his wife would be legally Queen (Consort) of the United Kingdom, however it has been rumoured that his wife might style herself Princess Consort out of respect for Charles' late ex-wife. If Charles predeceases the Queen, then William will become King (Regnant), and Kate will become Queen (Consort)."

Hang on, Lizzy--there's a young nubile Queen's crown here at stake!!!!

Well, there's a lot here to wrap our minds around, my fragrant friends, but the really big, burning question is not whether Kate will or will not transform with the last breath drawn of Prince Charles followed by the last breath drawn of his mother into a full-fledged Queen, but:

WHY DID SHE CHOOSE TO WEAR ILLUMINUM WHITE GARDENIA PETALS AT HER WEDDING????????

Well, we've seen all of this before, mutatis mutandis. While in London a while back, Michelle Obama bought Boadicea the Victorious something or other and Creed LOVE IN WHITE presumably because it matches the White House. So there's something obviously about whiteness and royalty and expensive niche perfume that these freshly formed luminaries are tapping into.

Wait: luminary ---> illuminum. White Illuminum. Illuminum WHITE GARDENIA PETALS! I appear to have solved the conundrum. Thank you for indulging me here.

I think that this smells mighty fine, to be honest. The opening struck a funny balance between a kind of Creed SPRING FLOWER or Bond no 9 CHELSEA FLOWERS fruity-floral quality and a vaguely acrylic waft. Could be acrylic nails, but I've never had them, so I cannot report ex cathedra on that.

Anyway, in the end, it all blended together to produce a rather pleasant scent. Not a sharp gardenia at all, more like an abstract gardenia suspended in something resinous which becomes slightly soapy by the drydown.

I think that this was a good choice for the wedding of a possibly future Queen. White flowers. The birth of a luminary wearing Illuminum. The Queen should be clean. It all adds up.

Zoya
Zoya

If you even knew how much I wanted to like this...
The opening is a sweet and synthetic gardenia. It actually reminded me of Truth or Dare by Madonna- they both share this synthetic gardenia note. After a while, luckily, it settles down and becomes a relaxed, clean, soapy scent. it stays close to the skins. I get a lot green notes that are not mentioned here.
The reason I wanted to like this so much is that I am a Kate Middleton follower, I absolutely love her style. In the beginning I could not believe that she would choose something that ordinary and somewhat cheap smelling but in second thought- It really fits her. It is a classy "skin scent".
After all, this is a nice day perfume, non-offensive office scent. I am glad I ordered a sample before buying the big bottle. If I pay that much money for a perfume it should at least have more sillage.

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Little heavy, gardenia all the way. Good for mature age, long lasting and pleasant.

Dove01
Dove01

Yes I can imagine Kate Middleton wearing this on her wedding day. It's safe, clean and very floral. The Gardenia bursts forth and if you like white floral fragrances then you will like this. I did not detect the coconut - much to my disappointment. It was inoffensive and instantly forgettable. Dare I say it - and it may just be my skin - but to me there was a little whiff of a toilet cleaning product from this. I bought it unsmelled thinking it would be as beautiful as Kate. I am afraid it was nowhere near what I was expecting.

missliberty11
missliberty11

Yes, I only heard of this perfume when reading about Kate Middleton, which was incredible PR for Illuminum, a British brand here not far from London. Illuminum feature themselves in the media as a brand of the royals, like Creed does. I looked for a light and nice enough fragrance for my own wedding which happened to occur on a hot summer day. As for many brides, I didn't want anything that was well known and despite the Duchess' PR for this fragrance, Illuminum White Gardenia petals was neither well known nor worn by many. The scent was perfect for me on the wedding day. It smells very much like gardenia and is strong in the white florals notes. It reminds me in its composition a little bit of Annick Goutal Petite Cherie, but more floral. On my skin, it didn't smell woody at all. It's a beautiful scent to wear when you just want to go safe. It's not overpowering or heavy, hence it is also not long lasting. White Gardenia petals is a very straight forward fragrance and smells clean. It has to work with your skin chemistry, otherwise you might get a detergent-like or hairspray-like scent.
It was perfect for my wedding day where I wanted to smell nice but not make an impression because of my scent. It is perfect when you are into white florals and gardenia, and want a discreet fragrance. It might be a scent best suited in warmer climate.

3ood
3ood

Am i the only one who didn't get anything from this perfume ?
After reading that duchess Kate wore it on her wedding , i expected it to be sparkling and bride worthy .

A. Rose123
A. Rose123

By now, every "perfumista" (and everyone who isn't one) knows why this scent has garnered so much special attention. So despite it being a very interesting and lovely scent, it could never match the ideal built-up in some people's minds. We all have our own ideas of what scent we would wear to our own "Royal Wedding" if we were given, relatively speaking, "carte blanche" to find one, make one or track down something discontinued. True story or not, all the publicity surrounding "White Gardenia Petals" has exposed noses to a very unusual and unexpected take on tropical, white florals.

That said, the impression I got upon first sniff, is that "White Gardenia Petals" is lovely but it's the scent for someone who really knows her own taste and has a very specific one; someone who loves lusty, island florals and wants to find a way to bring them into even the most formal of occasions. "White Gardenia Petals" is, basically, "churchified" polynesian tiare oil. That sounds like an impossible feat, but Boadi was obviously up to the challenge because what he's produced is a scent that is, at both times, heady and balmy; soapy and powdery. It is a sheer take on gardenia oil -- like a scrub-down in a shower after laying on a tropical beach, for hours, covered in gardenia oil. It has a narcotic, indole quality that almost reminds me of full-bloom paperwhites or fresh tuberose -- that slightly pinchy headiness -- but the sheer soapiness keeps the whole blend fresh and airy.

This contrast between freshness and ripe, layered white flowers, brings to mind two fragrances: "Wisteria" by Crabtree & Evelyn and "Fleurissimo" by Creed. "White Gardenia Petals" has that same dichotomy of styles; rainy, airy freshness against powdery, "high-test", lusty florals. And it conjures-up the image of a woman who has travelled to tropical places and beaches very often, but must eventually return to her buttoned-up life back home.

Verdict: For true, white floral lovers only. Boadi's interpretation of gardenia is not as sweet and balsamic as many others I've tested and the coconut base adds a dry-oil quality to the freshness of the white florals that's very interesting. I think it's a lovely blend, though not enough of my style to buy a full bottle of it. It is tenacious in its freshness and stays that way through dry-down.

rapunzel23
rapunzel23

I like the scent but it gave me a terrible headache. I prefer Gardénia Pétale by Van Cleef & Arpels or even the gorgeous Gardenia by Isabey.

curlyhair1
curlyhair1

Further to the off topic, she is also a princess, but not titled Princess Katherine. She is Princess William. You are correct, given that she is not born a Royal, then she indeed is not Princess Katherine (unlike Beatrice & Eugenie)

She is entitled to use "Princess William" (same way as Sophie is Princess Edward) they simply aren't titles, however, that they choose to use.

No, I don't have the fragrance, but I am curious to smell it! :)

Fragrance
Fragrance

This perfume is just Lovely... This opens with a beautiful gardenia note & then settles with a nice white linen smell mixed with Sandalwood. For me Sandalwood note is very noticeable after 15 ,20 min..perfect for a special occasion. But need to make sure to wear the right amount since too much of this may give you a headache.

elfremar
elfremar

I bought this as I love Gardenia perfumes,but right from the first spray I was very disappointed.There is an ingredient in the perfume that just sets my teeth on edge.Years ago Blue Grass had the same effect on me when my mother wore it.
I have only sprayed it once,but will be putting it for sale on Ebay very soon.

BetsyMeszaros
BetsyMeszaros

This is the most beautiful fragrance I have ever encountered. Gardenias are my favorite flowers and this perfume smells exactly like a gardenia on a warm sultry southern summer night. It is not the least bit synthetic to me. It is just intoxicating. When I first put it on I kept smelling my wrist. I could not get enough of that gardenia. I was in heaven.

About 20 to 30 minutes later it had the most beautiful floral scent. Like a bouquet of white flowers. The gardenia was gone but it was still wonderful.

An hour later it smelled like Snuggle fabric softener. What a disappointment. At last I thought I had found the perfect gardenia scent but instead I ended up smelling like clean clothes. There are worse things to smell like.

My search for the perfect gardenia scented perfume continues.

bacall
bacall

How anyone can dislike such a simple and natural perfume such as this enchanting masterpiece beggars belief. For this is the best Gardenia fragrance I have ever owned. Having just the right amount of sweetness, when first applied, the scent is wide awake and pretty sharp, however, if you allow it to sleep you are giving the fragrance the oppurtunity to find you as opposed to you sticking your nose in it.
Furthermore, the comment referring to the cheapness of the bottle beats me - perhaps they have not actually physically held the bottle, which is absolutely high quality and simplistic in design, thus equates perfectly to it's contents. Needless to mention, if Kate chose this perfume over many others pushed up to her royal (& loyal hopefully) nose no doubt - then I would say that the duchess is indeed a refined lady with exquisite taste!

cocobella
cocobella

at the beginning it is very sharp and strong, but after a couple of minutes it becomes very smooth and soft. i do not like the opening but i love the drydown. unfortunately the bottle looks a bit cheap.

Daisy Nirmal
Daisy Nirmal

My husband ordered this as a special birthday present - it arrived over a month late! When I put it on it immediately reminded me of Guerlain's jardins de bagatelle. It is really lovely but doesn't seem to last very long.

and.reaa
and.reaa

One of the worst perfumes I´ve ever had:( I bought it without trying, but it definitely doesn´t worth that money. I doubt Kate really worn White Gardenia on her wedding day (her style is too good for that). Wanted to love it, but I can´t! Btw they still have it in Paris in several stores with rare perfumes...

Jessa27
Jessa27

The first impression is of soapy skin and fresh air, next the delicate scent of white flowers wafts in and out, but the dry down is all coconut. Very simple and fresh, not migraine inducing and probably won't offend anyone. I love it for those no scent days, it's more like a fresh aura than perfume.

Lolalara
Lolalara

Not meaning to be crude or a simpleton about it, and perhaps it's just me, but this smells exactly like Pantene Pro-V shampoo (Smooth & Sleek in particular). I'd love to know if anyone else agrees with me. I bought it, desperately wanting to love it but I won't keep it because all I can think about is shampoo! There we go!

flora lee
flora lee

I ordered it as soon as I found out Princess Kate wore it on that beautiful wedding day, and because I loved the white floral notes in a simple yet refined composition, crafted by Boadi nonetheless. Feeling lucky to have received it since the waiting lists are growing! First wearing I'm enjoying very much, it is not a strong gardenia nor coconut scent as you might expect, but it seems it was perfect for the occasion. It's a light airy clean floral where nuances of lily and jasmine combine to form an abstract suggestion of the gardenia petal, and little hints of coconut appear here and there, but ever so gracefully, over a light linen and lace base. To me it is soft and delightful, like a fine fresh bouquet, yet without any sharp lily or rose, and stays lovely for some time. My fiance enjoyed it, and I can see how it's a perfume fit for a modern princess!

Edited to add: Indeed some different batches happened, my mom gave me a mini spray tester of this and it was very strong sweet gardenia, whereas my bottle is pretty close to White Linen. That still was one of the most beautiful weddings so I'm happy to have a bottle to remind me =-)

ONOFRIO31
ONOFRIO31

I can tell you where to sell the perfume White Gardenia Petals Illuminum mark in Italy. Thanks Regards Onofrio

Troodos
Troodos

Got this today. I don't get any coconut at all. It's a White flowery scent, a little sharp and screechy, mildly reminiscent of pure White linen. It does smell expensive but I was hoping for dazzling with fresh lily of the valley reminiscent of diorissimo but I just get random White flowers. My partner described it as 'sickly'. Try before you buy!

Armanilovah
Armanilovah

dying to know what it smells like :) so I can feel what Kate smelt like on her big day, give it up for the princess for choosing a not so popular brand !!

SmokinBetty
SmokinBetty

I agree with Udaria, there's nothing like a Royal endorsement! I will now be on the look out for this as I too wish to know what the Royal bride smelled like that day and even buy into that magic myself if I like it when I eventually find it!!!

arimegahot
arimegahot

dying to know what it smells like, because the princess kate middleton use it for her wedding to Prince William of England, selections, should be a well thought out, so insurance is very good, although the brand is not well known, but little by little will become super popular this perfume for what it represents to history

===
Original Spanish:
muero por saber como huele, por que la princesa kate middleton lo uso para su boda con el principe william de inglaterra, debió ser una seleccón muy pensada, asi es que de seguro es muy bueno, aunque la marca no es muy conocida, pero poco a poco se volverá super famoso este perfume por lo que representa para la historia

Udaria
Udaria

Now that the royal bride Kate wore it on her wedding day, the interest for this scent is probably stronger than before. It intrigues me because of the mixture of white flowers and elements. Too bad that I cannot obtain a sample easily.

White Gardenia Petals by Illuminum 3.86 out of 5 based on 72 ratings and 35 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Illuminum White Gardenia Petals fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Illuminum White Gardenia Petals, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify White Gardenia Petals by Illuminum. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of White Gardenia Petals by Illuminum represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.