Designers » I-K » Floral Green « Groups

Silences Jacomo for women

Silences Jacomo for women
dislike

Silences Jacomo for women Pictures Silences Jacomo for women Pictures Silences Jacomo for women Pictures Silences Jacomo for women Pictures

Silences by Jacomo is a Floral Green fragrance for women. Silences was launched in 1978. Silences was created by Gerard Goupy and Jean-Claude Niel. Top notes are orange blossom, galbanum, bergamot, lemon, green notes and cassia; middle notes are iris, jasmine, narcissus, hyacinth, rose and lily-of-the-valley; base notes are vetiver, musk, sandalwood, oakmoss, cedar and ambrette (musk mallow).

Orange Blossom Galbanum Bergamot Lemon Green Notes Cassia

iris Jasmine Narcissus Hyacinth Rose Lily-of-the-Valley

Vetiver Musk Sandalwood Oakmoss Cedar Ambrette (Musk Mallow)

Chanel N°19
Chanel No 19 EDP
Silences Eau de Parfum Sublime
Agua de Iris

Silences Fragrance Reviews

sp89123
sp89123

after reading all these reviews , and a lot more of thinking, i have purchased this as a blind buy! yet to receive it. heres hoping its a hit with me! ! :O

Jerine123
Jerine123

This is such an earthly beauty! Great fall fragrance when you feel that the snow is just around the corner. It is a bold fragrance on first spray, but develops and simmers down just a bit. Wonderful for the fall or even for the holidays or cold months when you start to miss anything green and earthy (especially if you live in a snowy winter environment). It is so appropriately named because you feel like you are almost in a green forest and just want to be silent and observe. Love it! Magical!

kasks
kasks

Silences, what can I say? I'm not exaggerating when I say that it smells like wet earth with crushed green leaves and tree bark with traces of powder on me. No florals whatsoever. Its a true chypre with good lasting power but mild sillage. Do I like it? I wish I could, but I can't. Its just a bit much, or maybe I am unable to appreciate its beauty. The good part is that my mother likes it and so it goes to her. Moral of the story, try before you buy. Its very well crafted but you would need to appreciate its uniqueness in order to wear it.

Fragrantlife
Fragrantlife

Based on the reviews and the fact that I am a Chanel no19 worshipper, I ordered it online and got it today. Well, this certainly is not living up to my expectations.

We know that perfumes are about skin chemistry... So my skin chemistry is saying that this one is doing nothing for me.

Very nice and intense green opening which, suddenly, is just gone.It abruptly settles into an animalic smell. No middle development. No galbanum, no iris, no lily of the valley, no jasmine. In fact, not much of anything but a subdued BO aura with some vetiver. Well, really, I just need to not wash for a couple of days to get the same effect. According to the notes, there is no civet, but that's how it smells to me. So maybe I have to blame the ambrette.

In any case, a very disappointing experience. and now, I have a full 100ml bottle if anyone is interested...

Mango Plantation
Mango Plantation

Hooray! Just got it and could not be more happy. It smells a LOT like Chanel No5, without all the soap. Also reminds me a smidge of Safari Ralph Lauren. I LOVE it! HOORAY for Fragrantica! You guys are Awesome!

I have not smelled No19 - I HAVE a small bit of No19 POUDRE, which to me was a sister of No5, but softer and then turns to powder instead of soap - I like it, but not enough to purchase. This Jacomo however, I most certainly WILL repurchase.

** edit (July 22nd, 2014)
I still love the scent, but it just doesn't last. It fades way too quickly. I know it's an amazing price and it can be reapplied, but I don't always find that easily done, and I don't like bathing in perfume. I actually probably WON'T repurchase, just due to the lack of lasting, sorry to say. My next purchase though, will be the purple - I MUST smell it!!!

Shoshi
Shoshi

It smells more like Chanel No.19 than the current (reformulated) Chanel No.19 does. Enough said.

jennifer60656
jennifer60656

I can't say that Silences and No. 19 remind me of each other. I mean, they are both floral greens and they are both wonderful for springtime but for me, that that is where the similarity ends.

No. 19 seems softer and sweeter to me - I get more grassy notes and lily of the valley. I think that one would work well for a very young girl (with expensive Chanel tastes!). Silences has more of a disco-era chypre "bite" to it. Either way - neither one is a "cold-hearted" fragrance. I think they are both very well representative of the beauty of early spring when the vegetation is very new and tender.

Silences has quite a bit of earthiness to it - with that "carrot" smell people are talking about. I got the image in my mind that Silences smells the way the world must smell to little rabbits sitting in the spring garden with the hyacinths, daffodils, moss and carrots - just delightful!!! Love it!

jujy54
jujy54

I'm a lover of green fragrances, especially those created in the 1970s. Silences resembles a favorite of mine, Weil de Weil, in its galbanum and hyacinth notes. Where WdW maintains its floral vibe, adding some leather and civet toward the end, I get yes, that carrot note that soleia's daughter noted, and something like fenugreek or coriander—perhaps that's the ambrette I'm smelling. Alas, even a generous application is short-lived on me. Since I have rather a lot of WdW on hand, my mini of Silences will suffice.

POSTSCRIPT—I just wanted to add how very much I am enjoying reading everyone's reviews of Silences. It seems to bring out the descriptive and the metaphorical, and causes me to appreciate this still beauty anew.

Maodo

As a big galbanum lover I tried so hard to like Silences. How excited I was when the sample arrived and I finally could sniff it. Yes there is galbanum, even lots and lots of it and I am so happy with that. But further on there is nothing else for me in the story of Silences that makes me smile, humble, excited or..... silent. It's a kind of bleak, empty to me. By the way, I don't get, like many others, the comparishment with Chanel 19 at all!

For the time being I stick with my draconian galbanum monster, the greenest wind ever, Vent Vert from Balmain.

If anyone has suggestions for a galbanum lover like me, you're more than welcome to give me names. I studied the classic vintage green fragrances with galbanum, but got very curious about the modern galbanum green fragrances from- let's say- the year 2005 till now.

flowers-in-the-springtime
flowers-in-the-springtime

How can 80 people think that this smells like Chanel No19? I don't get it, am I missing something here?
Chanel is much softer, more green, less aldehydes.
It's more like Chanel No5 with the initial spritz being aldehyde city!!
Aldehydes, more aldehydes and then some. Then just as I'm thinking 'oh GD please make it stop', it mellows slightly into this lipstick vintage aroma.
This is an old fashioned, vintage smell that kind've reminds me of 'Shocking meets Baghari'.
Great for those vintage addicts, aldehyde fans and soft powdery scent type of fume fanatics. Great longevity, but I expected something different, something colder and greener and somehow less vintage.

kl99
kl99

This perfume definitly deserve to be called Magie Noir 1000 times more than the Lancome one! (Wich is not macumba at all)
Silences cast a spell. Is an elegant Sorceress in a black long dress.

Spells instead of silences would be the right name.
I can realise now (with a vintage vial I've "found" yesterday) why so many people are enchanted by this creation.

If amethysts could have a smell they would have the scent of Silences.

A Masterpiece.

Every time I see that galbanum is one of the ingredients that perfumists notice most I say "my God another hair spray of the 70s!" But here this essence is noticeable but Imprisoned with oakmoss and some other voluptuos flowers in a delicious leather way.

Expecially in the drydown recall Vu by Lapidus

(I don't want to be rude but in some way this is a dark bar of soap and probably remember me in some way: "Fà", the varigate bar soap of the firsts 80s a sweet reminescence of my childhood)

preux
preux

It's taken me a while to figure out how to explain this fragrance. I can't really say what note(s) it is that put me off since I'm not great at identifying which is which, but there's just almost aggressively bitter green in this. I've liked many bitter greens before, but usually they have flowers or fruit at some point, whereas this one is the same thing the whole way through. To me it's violent and dark greenery, period. I don't get anything else.

I'm having such trouble with this. Silences is powerful, but somehow it's just a little bit too in-your-face for me. By that I don't mean sillage at all, that's maybe a foot at best, but if the fragrance had a personality it'd be ruthless and fierce in an icy sort of way. It's kind of scary really. Ominous with all that darkness. It's not nearly as savage as I'm making it seem. It's more like you're incandescently aware that all that force is barely being veiled, if that makes any sense. It's dangerous - that's it, that's the idea I was going for.

It's not for me. There are days I want to stalk around with this almost-menace running through my veins, but with being so completely dark green on me it's just a bit too extreme.

flealea
flealea

My beloved father who has been off world for 11 years now, bought this for me when he was working in Italy and I was in college. It was the perfect scent to experience intellectual awakening and my first really big love. Exciting in a very understated way, deep, layered and smoothly complex. And it reminds me of my dad. Love it!

veda
veda

A magical moment into my life...that's how I feel everytime I put it on...this is a green Amazonian forest, the velvet bottom of a lake...
As Yohji says in her review "This fragrance is like a psychotherapy session – opens gate to the subconscious. Its very private and very calm. Acts according its name. Silences."
I would like to bathe in it.Casia and vetiver is amazing.I like so much the perfume pyramid.The citrusy top notes, florals in the middle and woods with mosses as a base.A very strong base with a powdery air.
I would also love to smell it on a man.
Are you in the mood of aromatic greens?This is the one!!

Yohji
Yohji

Took me ages to write about Silences.
I know that sense of smell is closely related to memory but I only received this perfume few months ago yet I KNEW it somehow. You know it happens when something strikes your nose and magic unfolds. And in this image I AM - ..In the forest. Beautiful forest of my dreams where I know every tree and every deer and fox know me. Very confident and powerful feeling of walking with bare feet on green moss. The bitterness at the beginning tells me I Am not weak, galbanum confirms the power, but among this harsh opening you see beautiful tender narcissus, powdery rose, crispy lily-of-the-valleys..I walk towards old little house, my house, with moss on the top of the roof - house of the Witch from the Green Forest. I know I will rest there, on my cedar-bed, on those pillows from vetiver and musk
Its a celebration of independence, of mystery, hours when woman needs and loves to be by her own...

amnalenajasmine
amnalenajasmine

Currently I live in a part of the world where there are no fashionable malls and the mail service is extremely unreliable. Since the scents I read about are often impossible to find, my newfound interest in fragrances has been mainly literary. However, today I decided to do a perfume fishing expedition at one of the local pharmacies. My catch of the day was a serene bottle of Silences.

I had actually read about the fragrance just a couple of days ago, and was full of curiosity. Words like "green", "forest" and "Chanel no. 19" popped up in my head. I love the color green, I grew up in a forest and I believe I once tried Chanel no. 19 at a tax free shop...

My patience is nil, so I ripped the box open in the street and sprayed my wrist. The result was a complete olfactory shock: How could anyone in their right mind relate this invasive sweet scent to cool green forests? It was a warm, blazing and very yellow experience which brought me straight back to my childhood in the 1970's: Silences is exactly the kind of fragrance that the grown-up ladies used to pour into their "cologne" bottles!

Silences accompanied me down Memory Lane, but definitely not through a forest. My initial reaction was to hide from the scent, but how do you run away from your own wrist? I kept sniffing, searching desperately for the sleeping wood nymphs others had written about in their reviews. As the day passed I started sensing the moss in Silences, the verdant trees - yes, I could well imagine nymphs passing silently on the narrow paths. This is not my childhood's northern fir tree forest: Bitter, aromatic and moist. No, Silences is a Mediterranean valley, where even the moss is sweet…

Edit: Could not keep my hands off Silences this morning. This is still a sunny scent to me: I see golden rays hitting the floor of the forest, covered in dried pine needles. Silences is really growing on me!

Sherihan
Sherihan

The notes written here confuses me, as I detect the rose (or floral accords) all the way from top to base. The green accord is the dominant one here definitely,and also stays very long(unlike 19).

lanuitblanche
lanuitblanche

If No. 19 is a witch-queen casting spells in a sparkling forest during the day, Silences would be that same queen having fallen asleep after dusk, and having fitful dreams on a bed of moss amidst the darkening trees.

Yes, they are similar, especially in the opening, but different enough to definitely warrant having both in my collection. Silences has a tenderness that I don’t find in No. 19, and it is deeper, softer, and less bracingly green — it is a warmer, darker green, there is more mystery here, and I don’t detect any leather at all.

Silences is like catching a glimpse of an elegant, inaccessible woman in a deep sleep — and to find that underneath the artifice of the face she presents to the world, behind that impenetrable intimidating exterior, hides a soft warm sylph that breathes and dreams and loves like any other woman — and with a heart of gold.

Chris v.V.
Chris v.V.

Reviewers describe Silences as icy, bracing, refreshing and sparkling. However, I sense the polar (no pun intended!) opposite. Oakmoss? Check. Galbanum and hyacinth? Retro feel? Check, check and check. Silences, to my nose, is extremely dry. Oh, so dry. Think: desert-dry. And dusty! Like: attic-dusty.

This fragrance dries down on my skin to a powdery hyacinth and rose (not my favourite notes).

Despite how I feel about this sample, people who have hugged me have said I smell good! Go figure!

Jitterbug Perfume Lover
Jitterbug Perfume Lover

Jacomo Silences
This fragrance indeed invites one to sit in stillness and contemplate the silence. It’s meditative, still, deep, and expansive; exactly like the experience of “going within” while deep in meditation. It smells of mossy fertile greenery and warm earth, with light, soft florals in the background.

It is classified as a floral green rather than a chypre and I couldn’t agree more. I think of a chypre as the representation of Spring – green buds bursting with life and on the verge of opening; tangy, vibrant, and fertile green. This fragrance is more like the deep mossy green of a garden that has been cultivated by an experienced gardener over years and years; someone who knows exactly when to prune and when to let nature have its way; someone who knows that sometimes the gnarled twisted bark of a fully grown tree is more than enough to capture my attention; someone who lets the tiny imperfections created by nature steal the spotlight. This is a garden that invites long hours of quiet contemplation, a meditation garden.

It reminded me of Lake Shrine in Pacific Palisades. This is a garden built around a lake filled with swans, water hyacinth, and lotuses. It was designed with meandering paths and frequent spots to stop in the middle of the garden to meditate while overlooking the quiet, serene lake. This shrine houses the ashes of Ghandi, and the surroundings, so peaceful and breathtakingly beautiful, seem to embody his very essence.

I compared this fragrance side by side, on the same day with Chanel No. 19, vintage Vent Vert, and Niki de Saint Phalle, some of my favorite chypres. Chanel No. 19 is like a crisp, manicured garden with espaliered trees and perfectly contained flowers in complicated visual arrangements. Vent Vert is like a newly planted garden, at the beginning of the Spring, when the buds are ripe and ready to open. Niki de Saint Phalle is a colorful whimsical garden filled with art designed to remind you of your childlike sense of wonder. They are similar, but worlds apart, and each serves a different, though beautiful purpose. Jacomo Silences is a quiet, serene beauty.

Carnation
Carnation

Silences is very much a 1970's floral chypre. You can smell the oakmoss and the iris from the start. It almost shares similarities with Estee Lauder Private Collection, also released during the 1970's. Very romantic and not overpowering

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

Peaceful Elegance.

Strangely enough - though I liked this slightly bitter, galbanum composition from the first spray - it has taken until now for me to fall in love. I say STRANGELY, because we are experiencing an extremely cold blast of winter!!!!

I wore Silences this icy New Year's Eve, in a desire to experience a moment of peace and serenity. It's deep, forest-like aroma of GREEN swept me into a spirit of silent solitude........

How utterly Refreshing. In my associations, Silences bares a strong kinship to the novel - Shangri La - as both have an ability to transport one into an austere world of contemplation and peace.

For once, a fragrance aptly named. FIVE stars!

9-na
9-na

Vintage. I love it for acerbic greenery, for the foresty freshness, for gentle, nice lilies-of-the-valley, and for these kind, warm and see-through sun rays.

Nessy
Nessy

I was looking for a fragrance that contains galbanum(my sparkling favorite), and which is fresh, but also feminine. I already knew some perfumes like that(Chanel No. 19 EDT and Poudre edition, and of course Infusion d' Iris of House Prada), but I would like something a little bit different and -I don't deny- cheaper, because I'm not ready for Chanel spiritually( "I' m just a young girl ... " says Daenerys Targaryen ), and Prada fades away quickly on me.

So, it's a beautiful scent, a bit old fashioned, but I don't mind. It's tart and refreshing, the galbanum does his job, but with the passage of time the daffodils and hyacinths step up, and the whole thing feels like a walk in the garden. Maybe it's a bit nicer on me than the Chanel, because I feel the flowers so nature, in a gorgeous harmony.
The base is quite masculine, the scent of vetiver and cedar dominates, but it fits nicely, and gives to the skin delicate femininity, rather than taking away from it. The sponge cake is also better with a hint of salt.:)

The longevity is 5-6 hours on skin, much more on hair.
It could be my signature scent, almost all of my favorite notes are here.
I don't want the Chanel so badly now...This black and round beauty helps me forget all of my desires, and gives me the opportunity of internal focus, and the moments of silence. So harmonious, so soft, radiant and uplifting . Some people calls it cold, and ideal for office, and work... I don't disagree, but I think it just have a touch of melancholy and contemplation, which is often necessary to live our true feelings.

Angel in the South
Angel in the South

I have not worn any green fragrances for a while and actually bought this one by mistake as a blind buy. First spritz reminded me of a long lost love of mine Vent Vert by Balmain. I remember the original from the 60`s when I was a young girl. Silences is a lovely green crisp, bitter perfume that later dries down to a very wearable smell. It does not last long on me and for that reason I will probably not buy it again. I will however enjoy my bottle while it last.

Maodo

Is there a difference between Silences EDT and Silences EDP?

krmarich
krmarich

My Silences arrived today after years of curiosity. Its a vintage spray bottle that seems to pull you to it. Its hypnotic, alluring and seductive. Thats before my first spray. This site introduced me to Ivoire, Metal, La Nuit and now Silences.

My first spray sent me into a reverie and I stopped all that I was doing. It opens with bold, heady galbanum. and just for a second I get all of the notes, especially the dark oakmoss and sandalwood. Then comes a subtle bouquet of delicate spring florals with clean white rose at the heart. The florals step back and let chypre accord play with the green note and galbanum again before the dry sandalwood, cedar and musk become prominent. These notes appear off and on for several hours, yet it remains a perfect composition.

This is epic in scope and as Chanel no. 19 began the 1970s, Silences brings it to a close. The comparisons are obvious yet it somehow makes perfect sense. I also get Givenchy III, Grey Flannel, Calandre and Metal. The 1970s was the decade of the glorious chypre in all of its splendid green nuances.

I am most comfortable in Silences. Perfection like this with my personal chemistry is rare and this is a once in a lifetime fragrance. Silences is beyond words...

This is an update to my review of June 11th, 2013:

So this comes into its own on temperatures of 35 C and above. It's been very hot lately where I live and all the perfumes in my wardrobe started feeling heavy or just plain annoyed me (and if you take a look, I don't really have any heavy scents).
Then I gave this one a go and wow - the galbanum feels so cooling! Silences, as its name suggests, remains discreet even in the heat, but maybe that's why it works so well. You sense the smell like a cloud around you, rather than actually smell it. Lovely.

IsaIsabella
IsaIsabella

Extremely thrilled to have found a vintage bottle of this in Singapore at $23(around USD20). Which, by the way, has a different spray mechanism from the one pictured; mine has a detachable cap.

I own both vintage Chanel no 19 EDT and this fragrance.

Is this a close dupe? Definitely. Is this an exact dupe? You've got to be kidding me.

Silences start off crisp, bitter and green, slightly brighter than Chanel no 19. Then, a soapy rosey note develops, which made me a bit queasy, fearing it would be a scrubber. Ignore it for ten minutes and the soapiness thankfully fades, leaving behind a bitter green chypre. The oakmoss, as stated by a reviewer, is restrained and modest(another way for me to tell is to see how red my skin becomes since I'm allergic to oakmoss). My skin amplifies the rose note immensely. Then, there's also the subtle hint of sourness that I found leaning over in cat pee territory but never really there - it's probably the cassia note.

Compared to Chanel no. 19, this one is much more green and bitter and less floral. Also, do note the Iris flower in this scent is definitely more subdued because of the exorbitant cost of using Iris flower oil/extract (this is perhaps the most significant difference with Chanel no19).

Overall I am very pleased with it. Highly wallet friendly yet distinctive.
Sillage: moderate
Longevity: 5-7hours

pingsandneedles
pingsandneedles

Let me start with the confession that I am a disenfranchised Chanel 19-er so I'm unlikely to be easily pleased! ... There have been so many changes to the formulation of 19 over the years that what orignated as green now seems a bit too 'rosey' for me ...

... Hence my trial of Silences ... it came heavily recommended as a smell-alike.

Really?

Don't get me wrong, it's certainly got the green, but none of the sexy slightly b*tchy class. The soapiness makes me feel slightly queasy within 5 mins of spraying.

Ho Hum ... off to try and score some Piguet Futur ...

smcandsmc
smcandsmc

I get why people say retro and old lady-- that opening of..hyacinth, I guess? I certainly did think of grandma's purse. Once that subsides, it's a nicer greem. I wish it were more bitter, the more galbanum, the better. I don't get why this and Chanel 19 are always described as bitchy, cold, etc.
They aren't warm amber, obviously, but menacing and cold? Maybe I need to get some galbanum absolute, or a bottle of one of the Bodicea frags.

soleia

"Carrots and roses!" said my 5-year old daughter, somewhat unexpectedly, when I first put Silences on.

She had a point, though, if by carrots she meant this vegetal, green element. And I was proud of her for detecting the rose, although she probably just meant it smelt like flowers to her.

Silences opens green and a bit bitter, then the flowers come in, then dries down (disappointingly quickly too) into a very nice woody - powdery base. Don't get me wrong, it is not warm, or sweet or sexy. It is indeed a cold scent, retro as others have said and would be quite good for the office. If only it lasted a bit longer and had slightly better projection on me. I've been wearing this for 3 hours and I have to really press my nose against my skin to smell it - and it's an EdP!

Silences was a recent blind-buy - it was inexpensive so thought I'd go for it. I'll probably wear it to work as it's discreet and has a "professional" vibe, but that's it. Mind you, I've been known to have perfumes grow on me, so I will update this if it does.

drummagick
drummagick

So after being blindsided by love for this perfume to the point where I couldn't even start to come up with the words for a review, I'll give it a shot today. The person who created this struck the perfect, masterful balance for every note in it. There is just enough green to keep the florals from being too sweet (I'm not a big fan of florals). There are just enough florals to keep the green from being too bitter. There is just enough oakmoss to ground everything and make it interesting. On my skin, Silences opens with a burst of green with a most mouthwatering lemon and bergamot, I can see where this comes off as 'sour' for many people. After the citrus fades, it becomes a perfectly balanced scent that stays pretty much the same throughout the whole wear. Silences lasts for hours on me and if I apply some in the evening, I can still smell it on my skin in the morning. This perfume brings to mind an overcast, drizzly early spring day with a cool wind blowing, there is nothing warm about it.

This review is for the PDT in the grey box. :) So in love...

Jillmcshaw1
Jillmcshaw1

Lovely, lovely, lovely! I revisited this fragrance today after first purchasing it, and thinking it was too strong and might be more suited to winter. I was wrong! I am loving the powdery notes and the prominent hyacinth. It's cool and refreshing on a hot day. It is a classic smelling fragrance with the sharp green notes, but I do not feel like I a wearing my grandmother's perfume. This will be a mainstay in my collection, a go to nostalgic type of scent. !

ihano0d
ihano0d

In love with this perfume!! It's reminding me of my mother's scent...

This review is for vintage. After a short while I do see the similarity to Chanel No. 19, but after an hour or so this one isn't as ambery or "rounded off" as 19, nor as rosy. It's more subtle and feels more bare, which makes it more "masculine" than 19, for those who care. I've now got quite a few "feminine" chypres of this era and I'm not a huge rose fan (and already have some of those that I like, such as Rose d'Homme) so I don't think I'll need a bottle, but I can certainly see the appeal of this one. If you found floral chypres of that era to be too harsh, but like the idea, this would be one to sample.

samer007
samer007

with my chanel n19 bottle of eau de toilette almost over, it was time to get the other alternative: silences. i do have a new n19 eau de parfum, but dont have the heart to spray liberately like i did with the edt, given its so damn expensive:)
i purchased a 100ml bottle for a fraction of the chanel. the bottle is black, mysterious and the juice... the first note to hit u is a very bitter, herbaceous galbanum laced with a symphony of green, bitter,swampy oakmoss and low key florals, really low key. i love it, so green, forest-like, wintery, damp.
i read that silences is more floral than n19 edt, i disagree; silences is more bitter, less citrusy and i feel darker than n19. another difference is the iris note that adds a luxurious feel in the chanel. the n19 eau de parfum is the most floral of the trio though.
i've come to expect a shy projection and short longevity with green/ chypre fragrances; but i forgive it with the modest pricetag:P
anyway, love my silences!
4+ stars.

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

Silences by Jacomo is a perfume that particularly deserves to be talked about, a hush that demands to be broken.

It is a glorious green, replete with floral abundance, a masterful but restrained use of moss and an uncontained herbaceous feature that is more centrepiece than border.

It is an exercise in apparently effortless formality and clear-sightedly brilliant composition.

The opening itself is quite special, a surprising cool breeze of aldehydic muguet, shot through with sharp lemon.

Be alert though, for in this changeable spring day of a scent it is gone tantalisingly too soon.

Before any hint of disappointment can possibly set in at the loss of this commencement a tiered heart begins to emerge.

First the green chalk sour of galbanum arrives, only to be splendidly offset by the slight sweetness of hyacinths and more distantly rose and little iris.

Shortly after a late developing but rather beautiful and restrained oakmoss makes its entrance, providing a benign bitterness that allows the other notes to float more freely above.

Then, a product perhaps of this combination, or of the appearance of vetiver, cedar and ambrette in the base, a wonderfully natural accord of summer undergrowth, of stinging nettles in particular, comes to the fore.

This is a truly evocative aroma that carries with it the alternate heat and downpours, pleasures and pains of a temperamental temperate summer.

Silences, then, is a scent that contains two seasons, in one day and a single flacon.

And there we have a statement that should give you an impression of the tremendous scale of this achievement.

*************

Sledges, forests, amateur botany and professional chemistry are pass times as fit for boys as girls.

Sharp and bracing like winter air in the morning. Bitter, soapy and green. A "cold" chypre.
Silences has a tough as nails quality to it. That doesn't mean it's masculine though. It also doesn't mean it's rough and unclassy.
It's a power bitch, ice queen fragrance with shoulder pads.

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

I have decided that galbanum is a common note in many of my favorite fragrances. In my quest to explore this note, I was able to try Silences (via a sample from a lovely Fragrantican). This, however, is not what I expected from galbanum--in Ellen Tracy and Imari, it is warm and comforting. Silences is cool and green, which I gather is a more typical manifestation of galbanum.

Silences is like a walk in a graveyard in the spring. You are surrounded by the smell of cold, wet stone and the fragrance of early spring flowers--lily and hyacinth dominate. The more I contemplate this fragrance and the mental image it inspires, the more impressed I am at how aptly named it is.

On me, Silences is linear, developing hardly at all from start to finish. The predominate notes are a very green and almost bitter galbanum, lily and hyacinth, a touch of rose, and an overarching sense of green-ness and freshness with a touch of powder. It is a spring scent, and very feminine to my nose. It is powerful, yet not overpowering. On my skin, it lasts about 5 hours with moderate projection. It is elegant but not overly formal.

For fellow 70's children--don't be surprised if you experience some vague, nagging deja vu. I think this was part of the background noise, the zeitgeist and undercurrent, of my childhood.

sophisticated
sophisticated

this is so strong and i love it, it's not suffocating, it's very unique & feminine & sophisticated -for a chic lady for sure :D- and lasts even after washing clothes and taking a shower, it sticks to my skin like crazy.. i wore it to the opera and i was sniffing it the whole performance, this is gorgeous, how can i put such a wonderful scent into words? it simply is phenomenal ^^ and NOT for the weak-hearted ;)

ROLDAN
ROLDAN

Here is my little story. After reading some reviews on different online resources about Silences as unisex and even as a little bit masculine scent, I decided to take a risky chance :-0 . Finally buying the new 100ml bottle for only 19$, I have no regrets,,, Hooray!,,, Just a few sprays and I was returned like by the time machine back to the days when perfumery created only masterpieces scents. So it's a Real Classic's unnoticed by the main crowd hidden in this artistic / avant-garde bottle! It certainly smells like Chanel-kind fragrances (Chanel 19 I tested later...) and any similar to it. May be it sound's strange, but it reminds me little bit of my grandfather's cologne's. In a good way! With my chemistry Silences perfume has a lot of green and woody notes on the bright fresh-floral background. It doesn't smell so feminine (unisex indeed). I'll keep it and will use it carefully for evening use and special occasions. For someone it may smell "oldish" / out of modern-fashion stream. Well, this wonderful E.d.p is not for everyone. But Remember that Elegance and Classic's are Forever! :)

rottannie
rottannie

For the people who find this too sharply green, try a light layering with Champs Elysees.

Matusha
Matusha

Silences is required wearing for anyone associated with the late 20th C. Its a dry, refined and cold chypre that seemed custom made for women of the 1970s and beyond. I went through 3 bottles in the day and wouldnt mind having another! Oh that oakmoss and galbanum-my new fetish notes that defined me.

Yes, its winter and snow. Something I had little experience with, as I live in the southern USA. I wanted the frost amd Silences delivered it to my nose. Pearls were a good pairing. So was some fur-contraband as cigarettes today!

Perhaps Silences is a little out of date. I guess it like my passions-a little feral, yet unacceptable in todays world. IMO-Ugg boots are hideous. If Silences was launched today in its original formula, it would be a massive success for those of us those of us who wear knee high black leather boots with heels. Call me old fashioned. I will call you boring. Style is forever.

Agna
Agna

After a few minutes it starts to work with my chimie. That makes me very special.

That makes me think about Creature Eau de Parfum. Year Introduced in 1987 by Gilles Cantuel.

I love it more and more ............. silences
Iris, Jasmine and Narcissus ... I can still smell after 8 hours. Oh ...
I want more of this fragrance

Silences make me something special.I am very special!

semj
semj

This is the sexy version of Vent Vert and the not so polished version of Safari. So many notes going on at once could make this a potential disaster, but instead it reaveals itself different on each sniff and with each movement of ones body. It feels like a dirty damp soil like lilly of the valley with a touch of Bandit leather lurking underneath and the dark brooding rose pumps underneath like a major artery. As a intense disliker of chypre, florals in 'fumes and oakmoss makes me gag I am so surprised. I will use my vintage version when I want to be that sophistcated girl gone bad at night. Damp, pungent and utterly sexy.

kuanyin4
kuanyin4

I got a bottle that predates the current bottle, as is my usual preference - anything older MUST be better.

One day this spring I was in Gordmann's spraying testers, happy to find out that they actually had them. I sprayed some Sung edt on one arm and was affronted by a intense green blast of cut iris stems. My nose tingled with it and wrinkled up, unsure of how to react. I didn't know what to make of it. I was a little afraid. I went on spraying & testing til I came home smelling like a French whore house, which was rather wonderful.

I kept remembering that acrid blast and wanted to repeat it. I bought an edp of Sung, and then an edt. I got nothing but spring flowers with a touch of green, very pretty indeed. But not at all like my testing experience. I have bought several green scents since and none lived up to that...until Silences. It was exactly that: fierce & bitter green, just like flower cutting time. Ahhh, at last! And also like cutting flowers, the moments slips back and then the blooms come into range again.

I think it is a shock when one is used to kinder, gentler perfumes. But really quite magical....

caca102
caca102

I agree with the last reviewer, this fragrance has a strong personality and is not for everyone. It is very similar to Chanel 19, except that Silences is a little sweeter and smoother, therefore somewhat more user-friendly. When I first tried it in cold weather, it was bitter and soapy and I couldn't stand it. On a warm day, however, I learnt to appreciate its character. It is very green and floral, ice cold but could be refreshing in hot weather. It actually reminded me of Guy Laroche's Fidji in that both are green and floral, both smell fresh with an "old school" aldehyde sharpness that separates them from the post 90's "aquatic fresh" scents. Fidji is definitely feminine but Silences could be Unisex. In fact I am pretty sure my dad has something that smells like this in his cabinet. I like it, but I would probably only wear it on days when I feel particularly brave and hot. Lasting power is ok, about 3-4 hours.

aworleo
aworleo

This fragrance is not for the faint hearted.It has a strong, green, mean and bitter opening, which is to bold for my liking :( I will have to retest it( when I am ready ).

My verdict: This is not for me!

akats

Oh I forgot! I did not smell any oakmoss. That's my impression.

akats

A blind purchase of a tester parfum de toilette. Of coarse I liked it immediately, as it was almost what to expect. What I did not expect was its resemblance to chanel 19 edt which I arleady own. Silences, is more subtle and opulent and a bit more feminine I would say...Something between chanel and new vent vert (I have it also). Galbanum is not so strong as you may have read on some reviews. It is prominent at the beginning but not in a fierce way. After a while, florals step forward (lily, rose) and the smell becomes airy and gentle. No bitterness at all. As it happens to Vent Vert...
My only complaint is that my tester although seems vintage, is weak and doesn't last very long. Yet, I resume that with that purchase, I don't have the need to buy the chanel edp also. My hanger for green fragrances, is over. In addition, I suppose that when I will be run over of chanel, I will buy Silences instead which is far cheaper...

derkargy
derkargy

Today I received Silences coffret.This was my first blind purchase,based on so many good reviews here.Contrary to my expectations is a fresh and green perfume;it gives you the idea of fresh cut grass after the rain.Silage is ok and lasting power....mmmm,we'll see!

NoirDesir
NoirDesir

the smell of this perfume reminds me of love beetween 2 lovers , hidden and seductive fragrance , the silence of a sinful story .after 10 minutes of wearing it the smell is quite soft and subtile . i do not consider it a strong fragrance and it doesn;t last very much . just as a forbidden passion. i simply love it .

Sheridan
Sheridan

Silences has been one of my all-time, absolute favorites, one of my "BIG LOVE, can't live without" perfumes since I first acquired it in 1981. I love it as much or more today as I did when I first sniffed it, and through the intervening years have always somehow managed to hold on to at least a sampler vial of it. It is one I've had to miserly ration or even only sniff the cap because there was no way to obtain more. In a much leaner time I was once *thrilled beyond measure to score a small handful of tester vials at an estate sale.

But, I do not wear it as often as one might think, what with being so madly in love with it. And that has caused me a great deal of self-reflection over the years. I don't wear it as often as others even though I love it more than some in my regular rotation. At times I've even second-guessed my commitment to it. There are other perfumes that are similar, and I have them and love them and wear them, but they are not Silences. It is special to me for reasons I can not fully articulate.

The initial blast of crisp and cold - no, icy - galbanum is like no other and must be what it is that hooks my heart. The hyacinth and hint of rose that follow and unfold is what sets that hook and the oakmoss reels me in.

Silences is deliberate, straight-forward and no-nonsense. It is sleek. It is high-speed and low drag. It is retro-contemporary architecture in the genre of Frank Lloyd Wright, with Milo Baughman and Russel Wright furnishings, a Modigliani hanging on the wall and a Henry Moore out in the shade garden. It is Dave Brubeck. It is Ansel Adam's black and white photography. It is a chilly, grey, early spring day.

It so perfectly conveys a part of me, and I wish to never be without it.

jaa456
jaa456

This is my mother's signature scent so for that alone it will always make me smile. It smells like the rose and lily of the valley have been freshly cut, stems and all and shaken in champagne. It's bubbly, bright and fun, a refreshing daytime scent. Unfortunately the scent disappears as quick as bubbles on my skin.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Original formula: Silences starts out with a beautifully frigid bergamot and galbanum accord not unlike the opening of Halston 1-12, and rapidly opens a portal to bitter greens, the smell of cut stems, mosses, blooming hyacinth and muguet, and darker shades of still-pink and partially-opened roses. It's a heavy experience, and Silences weighs itself down as its lilting citruses and white flowers slip behind curtains of oakmoss and cedar. The moss is a bit powdery and does little to lighten things up. Silences is very green, but its gauzy texture and load-bearing bitterness give it a dated feel, and I'm not entirely certain it has weathered the years as well as 1-12, or even Chanel N°19. Still, it's an excellent composition, a landmark chypre, and I do believe that men should wear and breathe new life into it - did I mention it's unisex?

Current formula: It is common to read posts bemoaning reformulations of classics. Some relatively recent reformulations, like Azzaro Pour Homme, do the scent very little justice, but ultimately make things easier to handle in everyday wearings. Grey Flannel is another such success, and in this case the scent was improved. Silences is definitely a successfully updated fragrance. The entire structure feels much smoother, lighter, airier. Yet its bitter greenness and soft florals are still as beautiful as ever. The blast of frigid galbanum from the top is the only note that suffered - the original perfume boasted this note with crystal clarity, while the new version's is toned done considerably. I appreciate galbanum, but I don't really miss it that much, and if I find myself craving a dense hit of the green stuff I can always turn to Halston 1-12. Silence's mosses, powdery florals, and crisp greens move in much the same fashion as its original formula did, but the composition is definitely more demure, which makes it smell a bit more feminine. Still a terrific fragrance, with excellent unisex potential. I'll be wearing it a lot in the spring.

jasmasid
jasmasid

This is almost an exact smell-alike of Chanel No. 19 -- at a much more affordable price. Great for layering. You could easily spray on tons of this affordable masterpiece and then add a little No.19 on the top. Come to think of it, I almost prefer this to No. 19 as it has much more lasting power. Sshshhshh.....keep it secret or the prices will soar!

jesseg
jesseg

it starts very bitter dry and after 10 minutes it reminds me of a rose camay bar....i like soapy fragrances but not this one

jtd
jtd

So many components point in the same direction: green. Galbanum, narcissus, hyacinth, hedione, lily of the valley, oak moss, vetiver. At various points in its evolution, Silences is cool, dewy, radiant, fresh, grassy, powdery, dark. Although Silences follows the traditions of both green florals (Vent Vert, No 19) and green chypres (Bandit, Ma Griffe, Miss Dior, Y) it doesn’t go the leather route. The moss balances out the florals and galbanum, but it never gets truly bitter in the leather fashion. It shares so many notes with other florals and chypres, but in the end veers smartly away from them. The drydown gets both woody and cozy with a strong cedar note wrapped in musks. Still it remains green with both a slightly peppery vetiver (that perfectly transitions from the floral/galbanum opening to the cedar) and a resinous moss.

There’s nothing slack about Silences. It is precise and to the point at all times, yet skirts the ice-queeniness of so many green florals and chypres. Silences demonstrates the difference between cool and cold.

Cubby
Cubby

I love Silences, but there seems to be zero sillage and is very short-lived. How I wish it lasted longer. To my nose, it's like vintage Norell, vintage #19, and vintage Rive Gauche...but mainly #19. It's beautiful!!!

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

Silence... yes, except for the crickets chirping. Waves of heat rising from the dry terrain; sharp, green grassy accords that mellow as the humidity rises.

Shabby chic in the most charismatic way--crisp white cotton dress with well worn cowgirl boots, and a sprinkling of sun-kissed freckles on her nose.

JazzBirdSinger
JazzBirdSinger

after reading the reviews on here, i had a very clear idea of what this juice would smell like. fragranticans, you have not disappointed me.
i say this with not a pinch of modesty:
this perfume smells EXACTLY what i thought it would
green, sharp and leather.
chanel 19 can come off my want list, and my wallet is sighing relief.

passionata20
passionata20

Tried it again today after latest attempt to like it and i must say that it is not my kind of fragrance. Very very green with a strong leather note. I like the leather note (which is probably not present here, but it smells like there it is) but then the green is killing it. I must agree that it does smell like a "Chanel nr.19" and "Safari" by Ralph Lauren, but much more drier and greener. The opening almost scared me away because of the very dominant orange blossom note since i am not a fan of oranges in fragrances. A slightest hint of hyacint note is making it softer but i would prefer it with more flowers in it. Lasting power is good.

Please do not remove this comment, since others might find it useful. Not every review should be positive, so people like me wanted to make a blind buy might find it very informative. Thanks.

miki1968

today finally after almost 2 month my silences gift set arrived...finally after more then 15 years i can enjoy again this beautyful gorgeous fragrance of my past...with a big body lotion...now i'm turning back on time...iummmm...

mymlan
mymlan

Bergamot in the top and oakmoss in the base defines a chypre, not floral green. I had a 30 ml of pure extrait until recently but as I didn't reach for it as often as I should, I sold it away.

I really like Silences. It is close to Chanel No 19 edp but a bit easier on the notes, less complex. Still Lily of the Valley, sandalwood and oakmoss creates an extraordinary beautiful fragrace that should be used daily. But as I seem to be more into white florals, florientals and fruity chypres I had to let it go. If you love green chypres, find, use and cherish Jacomo Silences.

miki1968

i love it so much i refound it after so many years i ordered 2 weeks ago on fragranceX the last gift set edp with body lotion...i'm waiting so impatient i hope will arrive from us to italy :(...for me it's simply wonderful...it's very particular i love it

Manna
Manna

I can't believe Silences has so many negative reviews here. I thought it's very well known with a firm fan-base.
I personally like it very much. I passed through all kinds of fragrance periods, passing briefly through oriental, pepper, citrus stages, falling in love with classic chypres, only to lead me to leathers, male orientals (M7 YSL, Habit Rouge, L'eau Bleue d'Issey), unconventional chypres with either strange combinations of notes or overexposed single themes, like the supergreen Balmain de Balmain, Vent Vert, Y YSL, leather+green+animalistic chypre Bandit, superleather Cabochard, male chypres like Aramis Aramis... but with every step I drew further and further away from FLOWERS.

So, all that said, I am surprised and fascinated by how well the hyacinth+overdose of green+powder+chypre base combo works in Silences. I get so much hyacinth simultaneously with that green blast from the very beginning that I was put off initially. As I said, flowers - no, thanks. But then a highly woody dry note and some powder come up to balance things and make everything work together.
For me, to this day fragrances were either dry or "mouthwatering". For the first time I see one that is both at the same time. It is very interesting, original and worth trying just to see how this combination of opposites turned out. I think that any high and pretentious niche line would die to come up with something THAT new.
I got it online for 18$. The best money-love deal I ever got. The bottle is gorgeous. Like the fragrance, it's both innovative and beautiful, and even though it looks like a circle, it's not! And it has a twist looked upon from the side. It stands very stable and the spray WORKS without any problem (NU YSL, you should be taking notes).

@bamboowu you can actually see the quantity left in the bottle very easily by lighting it from behind with a strong pointed light (like a reading lamp, not a torch). It works perfectly for Silences, Kyoto, Bandit and even Black Cashmere - all of which are black and deemed very opaque but at the lamp they look deep purple. Same works for Agent Provocateur which is also very opaque.

Gillie
Gillie

Received my sample today. I wanted to try as it was recommended for people who like Chanel 19. At first application (from a sweet little black circular stoppered bottle) I smelt a blast of sharp bitter green herbs. It was as if I were standing in the kitchen snipping wild herbs for a salad: bitter dandelion, rocket, cress, wood sorrel,sharp peppery yarrow. As it receded a bit, I could detect wisps of bergamot.

The green faded after about 1/2 hour and rose hovered in the air above my wrist.

After that, not very long after, I smelt tobacco and wood, which I assume were the woody basenotes.

On me, 3 hours later, I really can detect nothing but a faint sweetness.

I don't think it is anywhere as complex, elegant, or balanced as Chanel 19. It seems a much simpler perfume: a song, not a symphony.

I like it, but am not in love. Of course, I will try again, as all these things are so subjective: dependent on mood, physical condition, environment etc.

Incidentally, sweet and quaint as a stoppered bottle is, it is not a very good method of being economic with perfume!

Natalie467
Natalie467

Wow, very sharp and snappy green at the beginning, much more green than I'm used to. But wearable. I don't really detect any of the floral notes listed here, just greens and a little herbal. Very strong, great sillage and longevity and the lovely warm chypre dry down is fabulous. I like this a lot, its different.

nagia
nagia

My mom got it, as a gift.
I hate it!
Hooker smell alarm! Well maybe not. Depends. It also smells old, like something that a lady who has turned the century (and with very bad taste) would like wearing.
It's old. Not vintage, OLD.
It's way too strong for my senses, it smells cheap, ordinary, it makes my nose ich and it's pretty headachy.
But if you like it, go ahead and I really mean it, because second a hole bunch of people, my favorite perfume smells fake and plastic, but I love it!

miZZpuRRfect
miZZpuRRfect

omg, my grand-grandma would die for it if she wasn t yet dead. sharp soapy woody - oldfashioned aftershave-like fume. it seems to be inspired from the last century. hell! oh i love so mutch the purple one from silences range by Jacomo but this is just h-o-r-r-i-b-l-e.

Yourfoxiness
Yourfoxiness

Oh, silences, I wish I could love thee... But I can't. At first whiff I got straight, sharp, green smelling alcohol. I thought, let's give this a while, let it warm up, settle in. But, alas, it never did. It smelled of grass, woods, and burnt plastic on my skin, and finally after a headache inducing hour, it warmed to a woodsy-cedar scent on my skin. Which was very pleasant, but I cannot get through the plasticky phase without a sinus headache, and by that time the lovely woodsy finish is just not worth the opening notes. Cold, green scents do not mix well with my chemistry. However, I would like to smell this on my man. I think the woodsy dry down would be gorgeous on him! Silences is a lovely green floral, just not for me.

giokathleen@mail.ru
giokathleen@mail.ru

I really like this one, very very impressive. Yeap, it is smth average between Chanel №19 and Chamade by Guerlain. I falled in love on these fragrances, all is green, a little bit aldehyde, and very feminine.
Jacomo SiLence it is smth startling.

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

This is a very different scent to me. Seasons change the scents alot so spring and summer may produce a different effect altogether as I have found in many perfumes. In the winter this scent is pretty woodsy and pretty subtle. Its not a jump out and scream at you kind of scent. I have not smelled channel #19 so I do not know if they are alike or not but this is a smooth quiet scent to my nose.

candymarie
candymarie

Because of the comparisons to Chanel No.19, one of my favorites, and because I'm a fan of another Jacomo scent, Jacomo for Her, I thought it would be a safe bet that I'd like Silences at least enough to wear occasionally. I've decided that perfume isn't worth wearing unless you really, really like it. Unfortunately Silences just isn't for me. On my skin, it is soapy and overly aggressive and just simply does not get along with my nose.

blueberry
blueberry

I bought Silences on a whim as a blind buy, based only on others' good opinions. It took me a while before I decided to spray it on my skin as I was so enchanted by the lovely bottle that I did not even want to use it ;)

I must say I feel pretty comfortable wearing it, it is a mixture of a classy, elegant scent and a casual, laidback ambience. It is a green chypre for me, somehow similar to Ivoire by Balmain, but less "chic". It contains tobacco for sure. Definitely my type of fragrance, old-fashioned in a positive, legendary way!

Sissi
Sissi

MMMMMMMMM? I wonder Silences by Jacomo
stole the notes from Chanel no 19 because
they smell like an dead ringer to me,
The same Greenish musky Cypre scent and
the note of Galbanum on the top notes.
It cost a fraction to the more Elegant
Chanel no 19. The scent is nothing to write home about i'm not a fan of green
notes they always make me nauseous if you
put too much on to me it's just a Common
run of the mill rip off of Chanel no 19.

But the only thing i like about this
is the flacon the unique and cute Half
circle of a bottle that's the only winner.

"It's a chypre!" were the first words that came out of my mouth upon applying Jacomo SILENCES. I had been wanting to try this for a while, having seen so much high praise for this fragrance in particular, and for the house of Jacomo, more generally.

SILENCES, to my nose, offers the drydown of a chypre: woods, oakmoss, galbanum. This is a linear, consistent presentation of the characteristic components that I expect by the drydown of any good chypre. What I don't find here is floral complexity and depth. On my skin, all of the layers have been compressed into one.

However, I do think that this chypre drydown smells very nice, and if I didn't already have bottles of more complex chypres which offer interesting development trajectories along with a quality drydown, I'd surely add SILENCES to my collection. But I do, so I won't.

guest_Persian cats lover
guest_Persian cats lover

'Silences' is very similar to Chanel 19, both are gorgeous green florals. The price is great, too!

hollycat
hollycat

Silences smells more like a traditional chrype than a floral green to me. I smell no florals in this one at all. I get mostly a green mossy fragrance that is a bit powdery.

I dont care for it, as Im not a big fan of chrypes, Ok so maybe this isnt a chype, but it smells like it on me. The oakmoss is very dominant on my skin.
Very affordable though, and I can see it has many fans. So if you like green, chrypish scents. This is a must try.

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

Oh, Jacomo, how I love thee! Please continue making affordable, high-quality fragrances forever!

Silences was actually my introduction to this house. I got a small sample of the EDP in a swap. I liked it well enough to purchase other Jacomo scents unsniffed, and well enough to seek out a small bottle of Silences parfum as a splurge. A drop or two of the parfum is all you need to get through an entire day. The EDP is also nice, if a bit fleeting, and is an affordable way to test drive this scent. Huge bottles can be found for $20 or less on the web. All of the Jacomo scents I have tried so far offer remarkable quality for an unbelievably low price.

If you love Ivoire de Balmain, Niki de Saint Phalle, Mitsouko, and other non-sweet classic dry chypres, you'll love Silences. It has a lot in common with those three scents, all of which I already own, but Silences was still unique enough to merit purchase. (I also see lots of comparisons to Chanel No. 19 and I haven't smelled that one in ages, need to give that one another test soon.)

Silences goes on dry, bitter and green, with no detectible florals or sweetness. It dries down over time to a pleasant woody aroma with pronounced cedar notes on my skin.

Old school? Retro? Oh, yes. This will either be your thing at first sniff, or it won't be your thing at all. But if you like it even a little, you'll grow to love it over time. It's so complex, mysterious, sophisticated and 100% unisex.

janudy
janudy

Having decanted quite a lot of this last week, I can now appreciate Silences. I wore this last winter and hated it--thought it smelled like plastic. I didn't realize that this has to be worn in the warmer weather to fully blossom. This is such a green fragrance, like fresh cut leaves. It almost demands attention when you wear it. I can't remember where I read this, but someone once said that Silences should be worn by anyone who has ever wanted to know what it's like to be heartless. I think it describes it well--there's no hint of vanilla or sweetness, nothing cuddly or soft, which could disturb some people.

imoore
imoore

It is very simirlar to the Pastale from the House of Matchabelli.

But the pastale is a darker juice, and lasts much longer.

Perfect for a hot humid day.

Nemia
Nemia

I'm happy to see so many people remembering and loving this fragrance. I remember when a friend of my mother's gave me my first bottle as a gift - it must have been in the early 80s. At first, I was taken back - I had never used perfume before, and this was a powerful womanly scent! But I grew into it, and I even think it helped me develop as a woman.

It was my signature perfume for many years, as a young woman, friends recognized my presence when they smelled Silences. It was ideal for a signature fragrance - fresh, warm, floral and very very feminine. It was ME.

So what happened? When I met my beloved husband, he thought everything about me is wonderful except for my perfume. It struck a wrong note with him. He didn't like it. He gave me Ivoire instead, and later Beautiful, and altogether softer fragrances. So I stopped buying Silences, but continued to regret it. It disappeared from shops, but I'm excited to see it around here.

I'm much tempted to order a little bottle and see how we have stood the test of time, my all time favorite perfume and me....

I love to see others loving what I have loved all those years!

porterba
porterba

I just received my bottle of Silences. It smells very similar to Chanel No. 19. Only much better!! Now this is a reasonable priced perfume. I bought it unsniffed because of the reviews written about it here and would never have known to try it.

nyoka
nyoka

this is one of the best smelling fumes ever.the opening takes my breath away. it only gets better with time as the beautiful wet greeness turns as if by magic into a beautiful dew kissed red rose.heady sexy,but wait,,,,the dry down is just as impressive as the opening.woody ,mossy wet and deepky sexy again.one whiff and,i was hooked.this just may be my favorite fume.the price is right too.

truffles
truffles

Thank you to Bamboowu for kindly letting me try this.
I've persevered with it but it's not really for me. I love the initial 'greenness' - like a herb garden after rain or a split green stalk.
However, there's also a floral element to Silences and it's that that I don't really get on with - it's a little bit too '80s retro' for me.
In fact, there's a perfume that I had once in the 80s, it was a 'drugstore' one, quite cheap to buy, and I wish I could remember the name of it because this smells exactly like it, I think it was called 'Fleur' or something like that - a pastelly box.
The funny thing about Silences for me is that it smelled kind of different every time I wore it and at one point I thought it was a grower but that floral side kept getting in the way - it's almost like 'Fleur de Fleurs' by Nina Ricci - almost but not quite.
Anyway, thank you Bamboowu, you saved me from regretting buying a full bottle!

sue165
sue165

It used to be my mom signature scent. I loved on her.. I was 5 years old.. and always took the chance when she's not around to spray a little bit :)

Aquamary
Aquamary

Love with the first inhale. Delicately. Patrician. Absolutely mine! Assosiations: - black and white photo, silent movie, moonbeem on the water, silence, slightly melancholy, Chopin's nocturnes. Fragrance, that you need to be back again and again to. A lot of compliments.
For me it like Safari (RL)- without its sandy rose and Chanel N19 - without its a little bit sweety florals...

bamboowu
bamboowu

I love this fragrance, and just ordered another bottle. This is one of my "I don't ever want to run out of" fragrances. I smell lily-of-the-valley and rose, and the cedar, my guess is that the citrus is what makes it a little sharp for me at the beginning, it's like tasting a lemon sharp, but that is only for a few moments.

It is a beautiful fragrance...I never tire of it. On me it is a lovely floral...the initial sharpness quickly softens and transforms into the most beautiful and very feminine floral.

I only wish the bottle wasn't so opaque so you could at least see how much is left.

I'll always love this classy timeless beauty.

ARAMIS
ARAMIS

I love it. it looks as Black-toned Jasmine IMO :)

Flora55
Flora55

I finally got this - so very green, I love it! It reminds me very much of Balmain's Vent Vert at first, then it gets softer and more floral. I don't know how a green lover like me ever got along without this! I can't wait to wear it in summer.

ktv0926
ktv0926

Very retro. Personally, I wouldn't dare to wear it. Extremely strong and aggressively green. I would enjoy this scent on somebody else though.

Update: The lasting power is amazing and drydown is just gorgeous! Very unique! I just wish it wouldn't be so strong in the beginning

hollivomitsyou
hollivomitsyou

my need for Silences came from a desire to have a 70s perfume fit me correctly, and i think i may have been successful. however, my success was completely coincidental as the notes to this don't really conjure anything i expected. i feel a little strange writing a review of this one because i'm sure that i haven't figured it out yet, and suspect that i never will. that is meant in a good way.

at first, Silences, to me smells very similar to Bandit. the review below by Shelpen comforted me a little that i was not broken in the nose. thank you for that Shelpen. in the beginning, it feels like very straight, strong, dry leather. i don't even notice anything green at that time.

later, of course, the scent completely changes. it takes a while, and feels like a journey. the scent goes from leather to a tender, powdery green. it feels like really pretty vines because it is strong but with no sharp edges. one of my favorite green drydowns so far for sure.

other positives about this frag: the heavy sturdy bottle (love picking it up) and the price!

shelpen
shelpen

I am in minority on this...
Silences is very leather-y for my nose, not green: I don't "hear" any flowers at all, not even galbanum. I guess combination of sandalwood-cedar-oakmoss tricks my brain into smelling a new leather bag. :)
Wore it to school - was kinda bothered by the smell all class long.
Reminded me Cacharel Anais Anais - all leather, no flowers either...

Tala
Tala

I adore this perfume. This is the only one which I got so many compliments wearing. I felt so confident and beautiful with this perfume. A man in my past gave this perfume to me and I mainly wore it for him. But this gentleman was very naughty and adventurous. So I got to go to a lot of places with him and wearing this perfume is just reminiscent of all the places I have experienced with him. I just pick up the lid and I am back in 1985. Brain sorts memories by tagging them with scents and colors. I find scents have an amazing power to transport you to good or bad times in your past. Sometimes you want to keep the lid on, and sometimes you want to pick it up and take a whiff and remember what it was like back then and relive it all with your eyes shut.....

Gwendolyn
Gwendolyn

Beautiful perfume. Elegantly sparkles like an emerald. I has become my second skin.

parmania
parmania

I love it!This perfume is very green, firm and visible,hard.I feel strong and untouchable when I am with him:)

adeline_chan_sy
adeline_chan_sy

Am a lover of green fragrances but this one is a tad too classic, brisk and 'fierce' for me given that it's a 70's chypre. Realised I'm a modern green kinda of person, more lush leaves and herbs pls.

Mado Haddad
Mado Haddad

It's a real Retro fragrance.. Definetly not my type, or may be I find it not for my age, I dunno.. It's chic, but a bit too much for me to handle :)

Natalia78
Natalia78

Gorgeous fragrance.Fresh yet warm thanks to a strong rose note.The name is appropriate too - makes you stop talking and bask in.

noor_jehan
noor_jehan

this is one of my favourites. it is definetely floral-green, a bit retro, with strong and unusual opening. later it becomes softer and very feminine. i got it as a present and it took me a while to come to like it, but definetely, it is a fragrance with character.

2007

Silences by Jacomo 4.04 out of 5 based on 375 ratings and 102 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Jacomo Silences fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Jacomo Silences, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Silences by Jacomo. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Silences by Jacomo represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.