Designers » I-K » Oriental « Groups

Cardinal James Heeley for women and men

Cardinal James Heeley for women and men
dislike

smoky

Cardinal by James Heeley is a timeless fragrance of incense and labdanum. Underlayer of linen gives it purity and a mixture of grey amber, patchouli and vetiver give it elegance.

Top notes: rose, black pepper and aldehydes; middle notes: labdanum and incense; base notes: vetiver, amber and patchouli.

It is available as 100ml EDP.

Flax Pink Pepper Black Pepper

Forever Now

Cardinal Fragrance Reviews

MickZ
MickZ

Unlike other reviewers, I think this is different than CdG Avignon and Montale Full Incense.

Cardinal is nicely blended and ethereal, clean and airy. It is not gloomy, musty or gothic. It is woody, peppery and mild, less resinous and austere than many incense fragrances, and it lacks the acrid, metallic synthetics of the CdG range. It is nicely counterbalanced with vetiver and patchouli, and the amber adds a touch of sweetness, warmth and depth without becoming heavy.

Longevity is about average and it sits close to the skin -- more of a personal scent. I think it is suitable for most occasions and locations. Try Cardinal side by side with the others and I think you'll agree that this is a special one, a contemporary interpretation. 9/10.

gtabasso
gtabasso

went on cloyingly sweet, not like Annick Goutal; dried down to a sweet church or nag champa incense; sits close to the skin, not FB worthy; reminds me of a more refined version of Lush Karma; this is not a dry incense but is very sweet; it's pretty. I like it but don't love it.

ladesyrable
ladesyrable

Your Eminence,

You are a cruel lover indeed.

At first, you seduced me with whiffs of childhood memories. I gave in within ten minutes of flirtations, falling, tumbling head over heels.

But now you open with metallic aloofness, making me wait, quivering, full of expectations, for that moment that I’m searching for, that moment that I need. That moment where all your potential comes into bloom, develops, envelops me, makes me happy.

Then it comes and goes, fleeting moment, leaving a hint of patchouli only perceptible to others but not to me, and you’re gone, off to do your Cardinal business I guess.

I get that we have to keep our affair a secret, I understand that I cannot be the center of your life, and I will always love you, always be yours.

I just wish you could spare a tiny little bit more time for me…

julia.lennox
julia.lennox

I love incense perfumes. I own Bois d'Encense by Armani, one of my top favourite. I read that Comme de garcons produced a line of incense perfumes and I tried Avignone. It is not bad but I also tried Cardinal and the SA suggested I walked around at least 30 minutes before deciding. Avignone was almost completely gone after half hour, while Cardinal was very much hanging around. Also, quality/price Cardinal is a winner: 139 Euro for 100ml, while Avignone would have been 192 (the 50ml bottle costs 86 Euro). The main difference with the Armani scent is that Cardinal smells to me almost like pure incense, while Bois is a tad more woody. Anyway, I love them both and they are both quite long lasting. Pricey (very much so) but good quality for money.

ravanfar
ravanfar

hi
little review
very woody

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

I'm pretty sure that for those of you who've grown up in the Catholic tradition, this will be immediately evocative.

I was never a church goer though, so my first real experience of frankincense was at an art event in an enormous dark converted Victorian tramway building in Glasgow, where a contemporary work inspired by Catholic music was played by an orchestra dispersed around the room.

While the music played, I watched as three dancers wearing 30-foot-long gold cloaks climbed brick by brick up the 30 foot high wall. Eventually their cloaks cascaded all the way down to the floor, shimmering in the candle light. Meanwhile, smoke from burning frankincense billowed out across the darkened room from huge brass incense burners that hung on chains from the ceiling - by the end of the performance I was distinctly mind altered! I even had an odd telepathic experience followed by unsettling deja vu.

Ever since that event, if I want to float above the dull routines or disapointments of life I'll light pure frankincense on a charcoal burner until it's billowing smoke throughout my house

Anyway, to get to the point of all this preamble, Cardinal is like a portable version of that experience for a good hour. It's perfect, blended with smoky dry vetiver and incense to enhance the feel of wafting smoke, brought to life with pepper so it sizzles lightly on the skin, lent sweetness with myrrh.

Mostly it speaks of burning frankincense - salty, pure, meditational and tranquil. Into dry down it becomes softer, something hay-like which must be the flax, also I get the slight animalic scent of labdanum in dry down, which is inspired as it blends really well with frankincense, then it fades to skin scent in two hours

Liamsardea
Liamsardea

Cardinal builds an artwork of catholicism: vestments, gold, and communion – and then further promotes a more abstract idea of reverence, ceremony and priesthood. For one, it maintains the idea of male-freshness through the transient use of an eau de cologne structure in the classical style; the incense is then employed over this, giving body. Cardinal is a papal vestment post-celebration, featuring the merging of a fresh tenacity, dusty linen, and layers of incense.

Attributed to a colour, Cardinal is a blinding white light (like sunlight) with a rosy and healthy flesh-toned pink at the centre. It is a gentle warmth, with a high level of potency. To open, the sourness of the aforementioned eau de cologne, whisked with the sweet spice of both black and pink peppercorn, achieving an enhanced vividness to the scent with a sensualness that feels near sinful. It is tender, unorthodoxly hinting at a playfully louche quality, unexpected of both an incense scent and a young member of the clergy.

Aldehydes at the top aid in the impression of the linen effect, and a short mention to Lauder’s White Linen or Chanel No. 22 offers all the explanation required. When dosed generously, aldehydes alone give an impeccable crispness with undertones of soap and citrus. Technically, and of course paradoxically, increased additions of this material enhances the overall lightness, detracting from its overall density and giving vast room to breath. The impression of grand, spacious cathedrals then could be attributed to the space this perfume mimics, as if there was an element of ‘non-scent’ present amongst the aromatic molecules. It takes what is usually balsamic and thick, and deconstructs its density without removing it from the composition. It is a refreshingly modern take on the ancient note.

The cycle found in Cardinal is a two-toned one, with a citrus freshness diffusive and approachable in all directions, then combined with the accord of incense. Myrrh, cistus labdanum, and frankincense create a liturgical idea of incense; however the smoke it projects is very clean. It is then warmed with a base of amber, patchouli, and woody vetiver, giving a slightly oily, mildly vegetal slick over the composition of the scent. It is a purified, meticulously filtered incense further calling to mind tints of white over any notion of darkness.

Heeley’s Cardinal then doesn’t smell overtly luxurious, because it is a discrete work with a sensibility and ambivalent chaste. Its charming, slyly, and cute pinkness entices, as its arctic swirls resemble the magic of the aurora as a mystical display of luminosity – but then it pulls back into a region of order, ceremony, and refinement.

Addict2Perfume
Addict2Perfume

When I first smelled James Heeley’s Cardinal there was something so incredibly intriguing about it, but I could not quite put my finger on what it was. I did a little research and I discovered that initial sharp clean note in Cardinal was in fact white linen. As it dried down I began to smell the most luxuriously smoky incense and spicy black pepper. Images of Cistercian abbey’s came to mind with their stunning gothic architecture, pointed arches and flying buttresses. Religion aside, I find catholic churches to be very beautiful and I think the essence of that atmosphere was captured in this scent. It transports you back in time like a memory or a photograph belonging to a different era. I went back and forth trying to decide if I should buy a bottle of this or not. The final verdict was yes! There is an irresistible allure to this fragrance and I was not sure if I could get away with wearing Cardinal, but I think it will be perfect for fall when there is a cool breeze and a nip in the air.

AveParfum
AveParfum

Another "frankincentric" (my word for "revolving around frankincense") perfume that will appeal to those who seek a nearly literal version of Catholic incense that is burned in church. I have smelled a lot of other incense perfumes of this type but with massive projection, to the point of suffocation, as they are so intensely bitter and true to the resins. What I like about Cardinal is that it smells literal too, but it has an ethereal quality that makes it much more approachable/tolerable/acceptable to wear on ones body. And by ethereal I do not mean that I detect gobbs of Iso-E-Super, which I am grateful for, even though it is entirely possible that this is loaded with Iso-E-Super.

This literal frankincense-and-myrrh style of perfume is not one that I would want to radiate from my body for all to notice, everywhere I go, all day long. This type is for my nostrils only. Thankfully, Cardinal stays close to the skin, yet it lasts a long time. I counted a solid 12 hours. Impressively it did not seem to fade and instead maintained its integrity all day long. Well done.

archivist
archivist

There are so many of these straight-up church incense fragrances now that they all kind of blur together. Cardinal, Avignon, Sahara Noir, Craft, Full Incense. None of them distinguish themselves in anything but intensity of their otherwise identical scents. The strongest of all of these (which are readily available) is Sahara Noir. Then Avignon. Then Cardinal.

INGER KERÄNEN
INGER KERÄNEN

I will buy this. But I living in finland. Can You help me? I love this liturgic scent.

tonileefiore
tonileefiore

I've been trolling around hoping to expand my usual fragrance wardrobe a bit. Realized I like incense fragrances but OMG!! Heeley Cardinal is nice enough (I guess) but just not for me!

Frankincense, myrrh, labdanum, amber (or cedar)...church!

Liturgical and church-y...this is the truest Roman Catholic Holy High Mass or funeral scent I have ever smelled. One reviewer on another perfume review site summed this up so aptly, he made me laugh..."swinging censor"...says it all!

I LOVE the incense that radiates from the censor and I love the smell inside of most Catholic and Orthodox churches, I really do. But I do not think I want to walk around all day smelling the way I did upon applying Heeley Cardinal. Something about it just seems too weird and a bit too odd for my tastes.

The only fragrance that compares to this in its intensity, longevity and authenticity (regarding church-y incense fragrances) is Comme des Garcons "Avignon."

Church church church. A nice enough fragrance but not for me. And I think definitely more suitable for a man.

Lana148
Lana148

Nice incense fragrance. Polite, wearable and not over the top. It smells a little sour to me, so I though there are some citrus here. Reminds me of Shanaan M. Micallef, but Cardinal feels more sheer and lightweight.

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

Avignon-2002-Duchaufour - 1.7 oz - $95
Montale Full Incense -2010- P. Montale - 3.4 oz -$170
Cardinal - James Heeley- 2006- 3.4 oz - $180

The prices are via Luckyscent. These are basically the same scents with very little differences. The Montale and Heeley project a bit more but Avignon was the 1st of it's kind. It all comes down to what house you prefer most as the prices are about the same. I prefer the Montale and Avignon.

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

Nice catholic incense. Similar to Avignon, indeed, but not in the dry down. Avignon is sweeter and mustier, while Cardinal is zestier. I can detect vetiver here, reminds me of Terre d'Hermes a little. The composition is well-balanced, nothing loud, nothing screechy; it smells liturgical, but perfumey. I like it.

Kain
Kain

Yeah, I would call this twin brother of "Montale Full Incense" which is a little sweeter and also a little bolder than Montale but stays pretty the same as far as the smell goes.
It's a modern and very classy frankincense mixed with sweet resins and some peppery aroma all the way through.
Just like Montale it doesn't have that aldehydic feeling of "CDG Avignon" but they do have lots of things in common. "Montale Full Incense" and this one a little darker and more modern and "CDG Avignon" a classic take on frankincense which I love them all without any exception!
I'm getting better projection and longevity out of this one against those two. above average projection and around 6-7 hours longevity. lovely!

میشه خیلی راحت این عطر رو برادر دوقلوی مونتال فول اینسنس نامید. البته این بوش یه مقدار شیرین تره و رایحه کندر هم کمی قویتره ولی در کل مثل مونتال یه بوی مدرن و در عین حال بسیار شیک و جنتلمنی از ترکیب بوی کندر و صمغهای نسبتا شیرین درختی و کمی رایه فلفل سیاه داره
اینم مثل مونتال اون بوی کلاسیک آلذئیدی که آوینیون وجود داره رو نداره اما در کل هر سه بوی تقریبا یکسانی دارن منتها مونتال و این عطر مدرنتر و آوینیون کلاسیک تر
پخش بوی خوبی داره و به نظر من مانگاریش از اون دو تا بیشتره. حدود 6-7 ساعت دوام میاره که خیلی خوبه

tdwctdwc
tdwctdwc

Extremely similar to Avignon, which makes me acknowledge the impact that Avignon has made on the industry so almost every other incense scent wants to smell like it (except a few : Sahara Noir, Bois d'encens, Robert Piguet Casbah and Norma Kamali incense).

I like Avignon and i also like Cardinal, but as a fan of frankincense and as a person who burns frankincense regularly at my house (for air perfuming reasons, not religious reasons), i don't find them to be role representatives of that smell. They might "remind" someone of going to church yes, but i personally see them both as very wearable perfumes with accords of incense as opposed to being representatives of the genre.

In other words, i see myself buying them because they smell good but NOT because i want to smell like incense.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

The younger, brighter brother of Avignon: less heavy, with a light floral breeze providing a general "airy" mood, and also a sparkling, sugary, fruity fizzy personality underneath. The incense note is not resinous-olibanum, it's pure, abstract, polished Iso-E, so it shares the same (creative) "artificiality" of Avignon – of which, as alfarom correctly says, Cardinal smells basically like a washed-down "eau de cologne" version. Still, Cardinal has much of its own, quite enough to differentiate it and make it a bit more fascinating, playful and charming. Above all, that pleasant dusty, silky, sugary base layer halfway balsamic, floral, fruity, woody. A delicate, ethereal (in typical Heeley's linear and minimalist style) blend hiding behind the main abstract but dense incense fog. To some little extent this reminds me of Exultat by Maria Candida Gentile – not for the olibanum, but rather for this fruity-floral accord which adds a pleasant taste of "life" and colour. A sophisticated, luminous, classy and creative take on the contemporary incense theme.

miracleborgtech
miracleborgtech

If this is what a Catholic church mass smells like then I want to go! Cardinal is medieval and captivating! Woody, smokey, memorable - as beautiful as a Gregorian chant . . . I can picture the soaring stone cathedrals with dark cool interiors filled with glints of gold and tapestry. Cedar is one of the strong notes and it has a powdery incense undertone. Unfortunately on my skin it disappears in under 10 minutes and the sillage is minimal. I have to continually reapply to smell this gorgeous fragrance. I am hoping that when the weather cools down in the fall, my skin will amplify and retain more of Cardinal.

Update - cooler weather today and Cardinal is spectacular. Still close to the skin, and longevity still wanting, but it is so beautiful that I am ordering the FB.

Marciu
Marciu

Cardinal opens up in a very characteristic way: your nose is hit by the mix of aldehydes and frankincense. Later on it gets a little sweeter, thanks to labdanum. But the aldehydes still are here. In the base I could feel a little vetiver, but again - this was a woody vetiver, not green at all.

Longevity is very good - the average result on my skin is 9 hours.

I'd say the smell of Cardinal is something between Avignon and Full Incense - but it's not as woody as FI and not as dense as Avignon is.

Overall score - decent. It's not my choice because of a big load of aldehydes. If you like them in perfumes - it's a must try for you.

joe70062
joe70062

I received my sample today. As previously reviewed, it does smell like the Avignon twin. I would call it Avignon's stepsister. True, it starts out almost identical to Avignon, but it doesn't last nearly as long. The price is too high for what you get. Avignon is a much better price point. Stick with the master of Incense scents, Avignon. You can't go wrong.

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on a decant. Upon spraying, it immediately reminds me of Incense Avignon by CdG (and also Full Incense and La Liturgie des Heures) with the prominent smokey incense and myrrh. All the other notes are well-blended I feel. It's fairly linear, which doesn't change much from opening to dry down. It wears close to the skin with moderate projection but good longevity on my skin.

Q80
Q80

oh :)

i remember when i meet James when he was visiting & told him that i didn't like this perfume as he was explaining each of his perfumes.. oh my, he almost ate me alive when he replied "well, I LOVE IT" i didn't mean it laterally but i prefer the "cuir pleine fleur" as it was quite good and leathery :)

when i smelled this perfume again after a few months later.. honestly i liked it. i remember as he said "it was the essence that i always smell in the church when i was young".
it is a good perfume.

CGV
CGV

Astonishingly beautiful!! Perfect blend of sour lemony notes with a lingering incense note that is unique among the incense scents. Its so optimistic and uplifting that it makes this fragrance one of my favourite! Longevity is great, sillage also as it remains lingering but never agressive and never pushy. It shines like the morning sun at the Vatican! Total and absolute masterpiece!!!

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

This brought me right back to my days as an altar boy at Traditional Latin Mass, inhaling the jars of liturgical incense stocked in the sacristy cupboard.

The myhrr isn't smoky, but fresh and lemony, which is an aspect of the resin before it's burned. The pepper and aldehydes give it a zinginess and the vetiver and amber provide a soft sophistication.

However, things do get a little bit darker and muskier in the dry down, once the labdanum gets involved, which is a pity because the freshness is the best part for me. It is very similar to "Misiones" by Fueguia 1833, yet the latter manages to carry that fresh lemony myrrh note all the way through, so it's far better in my opinion.

"Cardinal" will resonate with anyone who likes the smell of Churches. I think it is only a fragrance for nostalgic contemplation, to be worn alone, or when travelling, maybe. It's immensely comforting and spiritual to me. But it won't be for everyone.

brightstar
brightstar

If you expect a dark and dusty incense fragrance then Cardinal is not for you. Cardinal is light, sharp, with a subtle lemony vibe. It's similar to the incense used in catholic churches but it's less smoky. I read someone complaining about the longevity but to me is pretty good.

RayFlash
RayFlash

It really is a twin brother of CdG's Avignon. And since, as I assume, it's a younger one ( ;-) ), it's nothing new and original. It's still nice, though, if you like the smell of labdanum. (I don't.)

puncturedbicycle
puncturedbicycle

Nice, generic woody scent. I don't get a lot of smoke, spice or amber. The drydown reminds me of essential oils, maybe cedar and sandalwood, which don't appear in the notes. Very nice, but a little bland and generic on me.

Edited to add that this is bright, soft, clean wood. Nothing is burning, so if there is incense, it's still in the box, pre-smoulder. As amber is perceived as so important in 'notes according to votes' I'm suprised (and happy) that I get little amber, just the gentle sweetness of cedar. Cardinal gets sweeter/richer in the drydown, so perhaps that's where it's hiding. If you like CdG Wonderwood, this should be right up your street.

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

Cardinal is just like smelling the incense I used to smell at Catholic churches when I was growing up. It is church incense in liquid form. Cardinal smells heavenly.

This is a fragrance of love. In other words, you must like church incense to really like Cardinal. I don't know if it is a fragrance that other people would like to smell on me. I would wear it for my own enjoyment at home or for special occasions...or to go to church...(punt intended)...but definitely not a fragrance I would wear for romantic dates, business, or work.

Cardinal smells almost identical to Commes De Gascon's Avignon and Montale's Full Incense. Ounce per dollar, Cardinal is slightly more expensive than these other alternatives. The longevity could be better. On me it projects well during the first 2 to 3 hours, then it goes skin thereafter.

It's official: the man formerly known as "The Pope" has left the Catholic Church flapping in the wind. There is no pope, as of today at 7pm GMT. In honor of this historic event, the first of its kind in six hundred years, I have decided to don Heeley CARDINAL.

How could the pope leave the Catholic Church with no leader? one might well ask. Does this not demonstrate that an acephalic structure is perfectly adequate to the needs of twenty-first-century people? Or even twentieth-century people. Or even nineteenth-century people? Remember the Protestant Reformation? The "man on the street" has access to the Almighty every bit as direct--or not--as the leaders of the church? Is this not an iron-clad proof of what anarchists have been trying to say all along? That's right, we now know with complete certainty that the sky will not fall without the pope. There is life after the pope. But if the Catholic Church can go a few hours or a few days or a few weeks without any pope whatsoever, does this not show that there really is hope in the post-pope period? I leave these questions for the reader to ponder.

Heeley CARDINAL is an incense perfume. Very churchy, very Catholic, very medieval smelling. I agree with my comrades (see below) that this perfume fits right in with the Comme des Garçons Incense series. Looking at the note hierarchy, one might expect more complexity, but everything here is blended together seamlessly. I really smell incense anchored in labdanum. Is there a "linen" note? To my nose, the linen is about as present as the pope. But there is hope in the post-pope period. It can be found in perfume. This CARDINAL can stand all alone.

Is the world now pope-less, or is it pope-free? I ask most sincerely.

Carestinus
Carestinus

gorgeous scent, countdown starts, 10, 9, 8, 7... 6... oh how nice... 5... 4... reminds me of Avignon although not as nice... oh... 3... 2.... wait... where is it? 1... 0...

Huysmans
Huysmans

Ottimo sui tessuti o nell'interno di una borsa. Purtroppo sulla pelle non offre grande longevità. Dopo un'ora, a volte anche meno è completamente sparito. Purtroppo ancora non ho trovato il vero incenso liturgico... nè Avignon, nè Messe de Minuit e nè altri... Sono pallidi mix che ricordano la sacralità. Peccato!

Prebendal
Prebendal

This faded really quickly on me. I love Avignon, and this seemed pallid in comparison, and much less complex. Much too expensive.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

This fragrance needs to be tried on skin for a few hours more than once in order to really evaluate it. I tried this juice on my skin a number of times before making any decision about its merits. It is sharp in the beginning but I like that. I found it dry and rather chilly in the topnotes which I think is a wonderful counterpoint to the usual over-warmth of incense scents. The incense here is well done and very lovely. The scent reminds me of a cold Gothic church on a Saturday when the monks, or, if it's an Anglican church, the ladies of the altar guild, are cleaning up and censing the church for the next day.

I love the woody notes, you can smell the wood and mustiness of the church. After a few hours on your skin it does warm up and the resins and amber come in but that spareness in the opening is quite lovely.

By the way, Heeley has a lovely website which allows you to get samples like Tauer's website. Very user friendly but it is Paris based so be sure and notify your credit card company if you are in the U.S.

I am a huge fan of Heeley's scents- the iris being my favorite. Heeley's scents have a spareness to them that is almost medieval in spirit, like medieval one dimensional paintings and they really appeal to me. I don't mean to imply that his scents are one-dimensional. Au contraire, I think they are beautifully complex and well developed but they come across spare and lean like a monk who has been fasting for a week. I look forward to seeing what else Mr. James Heeley has for us in the future.

cloyd42
cloyd42

If you've always wanted to smell like an altar boy after Easter High Mass you've found your scent. An astonishing job of reproduction. Not much of a job of perfumery.

Sillage: Winchester Cathedral
Durability: For now and eternity Amen
Fabulosity: the Pope's big hat
Value to price ratio: poor

Jellybean
Jellybean

Crisp, fresh perfume with woody peppery undertones. Yes incense adds to the smokiness that develops shortly after. Aldehyde is the most powerful note here, and by that I mean it smells like a church, hence the name Cardinal. The scent softens with time, and beside holy-like resemblance, it is a clean smell or should I say pure.
Unisex with excellent longevity!
Will outlast The Sunday Mass:)

Ovaltine Jenkins
Ovaltine Jenkins

After trying a sample I loved the smokey incense in the drydown, but it is outmuscled by the powdery/flowery notes.

girasolina
girasolina

too faithful to the resins using Muslims and Catholics to the rituals of prayer.
Suggests meditation, quiet, maybe I would have liked a little less sweet, but above that could remain on the skin over an hour ..

AndrzejK
AndrzejK

Beautiful, spacious scent of church incense. A typical catholic mass incence. Dinstinctive, intriguing, peaceful, elegant. Unfortunately, very weak on my skin and disappears too quickly.

calyx93
calyx93

Not much to add other than it's a soapier Avignon with half the lasting power. Still a nice representation of the sunnier side of frankincense.

As much as I love liturgic-frankincense fragrances and I never get tired of them, I still find Cardinal to be among the weakest in this genre. It clearly moves in the same direction of Avignon or Montale's Full Incense but it's nowhere close neither to the magnificence of the former nor to the strong lasting power of the latter. Overall smells fine but lasts nothing. Sort of Avignon Eau De Cologne emphasized on the clean-lemony aspect of the biblical resin...

feleeni
feleeni

A weaker Avignon.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

This is a very nice literal incense. It takes me back to sitting in mass with my parents and lighting candles to Our Lady! I bought the Matthew Williamson incense a while back for a paltry £7.00 (!) and this one, though a little icier and more interesting, is not quite worth the price tag.

doxology
doxology

I keep coming back to this. With the initial spritz, I imagined getting unsolicited advice on feline continence management, but after a few minutes it softens down and the amber and a whiff of patchouli make their presence felt. I keep noticing lovely wafts from my clothes. I've always loved frankincense, but some of the harsher implementations I've tried would get people looking around for the swinging thurible. This is just right. After a few minutes. And get rid of the cat hairs on your clothes.

Papi
Papi

This one reminds me of,

Very similar to;
CDG brown one,
Terre d' Hermes

yet still slightly different and unique!

gabyvinki
gabyvinki

I think you should give this one a second chance, I did and I have no regrets:) I almost disliked it because of the strange, sharp spicey opening, for me it is always the labdanum..if it is too much of it, I do not like it in my perfumes but wait...it'll go away and what is left is one of the most beautiful incense fragrances I had the pleasure to sniff! It gets nearly soft on my skin when the patchouli and the some sweet amber kicks in.. and I like it very much...nearly love it ! Take a sample first but get a decent one, because only 1ml would not be enough for giving it the chance it clearly deserves..high quality scent all over, like all the Heeleys

Incense, especially the dark, atmospheric kind, has been a rather new interest for me. Since falling in love with Chanel Coromandel, I have been so eager to find other well-done incense based fragrances.

Cardinal by Heeley has been suggested a few times as being true church incense. I'm not a big church-goer, however I do love the smell of a chapel full of smokey incense and mustiness.

Cardinal opens rather strong and masculine, with a somewhat dirty earthiness coming to the fore. Pepper, patchouli and vetiver tend to stand out on my skin the most. The aldehydes provide a smoothness in texture and smell, which is both intriguing and a little strange.

I was a little disappointed that the incense didn't seem to feature so readily in the first hour or so. However the more the fragrance settled, the less green and earthy it was and the smokier it became.

I can understand how some see the sweetness here, however it's more of a dusty and resinous cedar chest smell to me, with that delightful incensey goodness.

This fragrance does however sit lightly on my skin, without making its strong presence known. I'm actually anosmic to this fragrance at times, which is woeful.

Cardinal tends to lean on the more masculine side of things, however a woman that enjoys wearing rich woodsy or primarily patchouli and vetiver based scents will enjoy this.

I can't say that this is my favourite incense fragrance, however it was extremely enjoyable, nonetheless.

JeanMaurice
JeanMaurice

Pretty good. Another catholic churche encense fragrance. This one is a little more well-balanced and rounded by woods and freshness than CDG Avignon.

Cardinal is more wearable IMO.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

If I had to pick one perfume note that I never get tired of, incense would probably be the top contender, so Cardinal was a must-sample. It starts out just like a billowing cloud of Catholic-church incense, visibly pouring out of a swinging censer at a solemn religious function. To me it’s very similar to Comme des Garcons Avignon, dominated by the scent of burning frankincense and myrrh, but Cardinal seems a little sharper, brighter, and more woody, with an aromatic cedar-chest background to accompany the main attraction. After seeing that it contains floral and aldehyde notes, the sharp edge doesn't seem surprising. As it dries down it becomes a little earthier, with some vetiver making its appearance, but the incense theme carries straight through to the end. Oh, woe is me, my budget, and my storage space! Within the first 30 seconds I knew that this was another decant-worthy perfume.

fqjcior
fqjcior

This one is a sweeter variation of CdG Avignon. I can stand Avignon, but I can't stand Cardinal. I believe it's because of the aldehydes which made me sick! That's why I sold my decant. It has nothing to do with incense perfumes like Zagorsk or Incense Extreme by Tauer, which are both great - in my opinion. This one I don't like. Bleeeh!
BTW. I like the bottle design very much.