Designers » I-K » Floral Fruity « Groups

coconut
ozonic
salty
tropical

Coccobello by James Heeley is a Floral Fruity fragrance for women. This is a new fragrance. Coccobello was launched in 2013. Top notes are palm leaf and gardenia; middle notes are coconut, sea salt and vanilla; base notes are virginia cedar, benzoin and sandalwood.

Palm Leaf Gardenia

Coconut Sea Salt Vanilla

Virginia Cedar Benzoin Sandalwood

Cococabana

Coccobello Fragrance Reviews

thiefofnoses
thiefofnoses

The third James Heeley fragrance I've tried, and for me it's 0/3. The palm leaf overwhelms the coconut here and while there is the smell of coconut, as others have said it is a green coconut, so it's layering green upon green. One of the greenest fragrances I've ever sampled, second only to Duchafour's Fleur de Liane. The fragrance is also quite dry in a way: I cleared out my front yard a couple of months ago, getting rid of several palm and coconut trees. Coccobello smells like the aftermath of that. Can I smell gardenia and vanilla in this fragrance? Pfftt no.

It's a pity because I really wanted to love Heeley's fragrances and his bottle designs are superb. As another reviewer said Heeley seems to be more of a photographer than an impressionist painter, but while someone can have the composition, technical aspects etc just perfect, if there is no warmth to the photograph then it fails. Iris de Nuit came the closest to that warmth for me, but the cloying chemical nature of the spray ruined it.

I would love to see Heeley add some creativity to his next fragrance and just go with his gut and the flow, because if you're trying to recreate an actual natural fragrance (the smell of the sea in Sel Marin for example) it's extremely unlikely it will be better than the real thing.

StopHammertime
StopHammertime

This is your average beachy coconut. There is a little gardenia in the mix, and the vanilla is making it a little sweet. I could see this being a love for someone who is into the coconut note.

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

Decent unisex coconut, a bit denser than I expected, but not strong. I think the palm leaf accord is actually the most noticeable here, and then something woody comes out. At some point it vaguely resembled Ralph Lauren Hot, albeit not as sweet. Not bad!

K1
K1

Perfect beach coconut evening fragrance
I almost die for the opening, a pure joyful paradise shut of sexy warm delicious coconut like sun-tanned oiled skin on beach. But so pity that this pleasure is like a firework in night sky, bombastic but quick ending. The upcoming greenish leafy tone which fortunately is not soapy overpowers the coconut with a famous Heeley’s fig-shaped acrid yummy Acidic accord which I’d experienced in Figuire and Esprit du Tiger. Type of signature addition which high level synthetic aromatic vibe.
Anyway, Coccobello is an impressively strong perfume so a few goes a long way. A type of fruity floral green, slightly warm summery resort fragrance which I hoped to replace with Creed Virgin Island Water but unfortunately this masterwork simply doesn’t fit my skin.
The bountiful coconut is the major accord here and it’s coconut who donates the perfume’s character, even when it’s sub-layered by green energetic palm leaf odor.
Coccobello for me is the heat of the sun reserved under bronzed skin all day long and it’s showing off with slight warmth to the body in chilly evening weather. Sun is almost down with crazy pink orange yummy color which you desire to catch and keep in your hands like a precious gem! Along sea side, gold sand is turning cold and pleasant! The people are scattered now, beach is now empty which million feet tracks messed up with the tranquility of sand! It’s you and your friends after an all happiness day, with your drinks somewhere in a café near the sea. Guitar folk Caribbean music and cocktails! That smile on your bronzed face exposes your white teeth; that’s Coccobello! Enjoy the life!

Update: the longevity and sillage factors may not be incredible but the scent is quite lovely.

agentj
agentj

This is really nice, but I think it would be better on a younger man or woman if worn alone. I also have a sample of Creed VIW and it smells nothing like this - the Creed is like a barely there lime scent on me. This has a definite summer vibe, but not enough coconut for me. I get the palm, very fresh and green, the ozone and salt, and maybe a little woodiness. Longevity was great though, maybe if I mixed it with something a little sweeter... I will have to give it another try.

milkyway
milkyway

This is a very unusual take on the coconut.
It is not creamy or powdery or even sweet, all of the things you would expect from a perfume with "coco" in it..
It is green, fresh and zesty with undertones of something similar to the smell of a green coconut shell..
I like the parallels with Philosykos, and i agree that the scents are in the same category, and namely cologne with a very slight hint of coconut in it..Cologne lovers will definitely appreciate!
The silage is moderate, similar to that of an average cologne, and lasting power is 2 -3 hours on me. Not worth the price tag

finanna
finanna

I don't like ozonic, aquatic or green scents and strong coconut gives me a headache so this was not a perfume I thought I'd fall in love with. I am glad I gave it a chance, though. From the bottle it smells very green and the first few minutes after application it is only sharpish greenness, no coconut whatsoever (at least not that horrible plasticky thing you smell in cheap body lotions).

In 20 minutes Coccobello slowly morphs into lovely beachy coconut. It is not sweet or overtly ozonic, just perfect greenish coconut with a hint of sweetness. It is quite linear which is not a bad thing because it is rather pleasant. I agree that it is not the most exciting perfume, but pleasure to wear in summer days. I don't do seasons but somehow I am not able to wear it during winter. It needs some warmth to bloom. It has the similar seaside vibe as Womanity (minus fig and caviar/seaweed). Worth trying if you are looking for a summer scent, especially if you think you hate coconut or are one of the unlucky ones who would love Womanity but think it smells like female genitalia.

alchemist1976stephanie
alchemist1976stephanie

Save your money and buy a 5dollar can of AXE dark temptation instead. It's identical. This gave me an instant headache. Great for the guys though, not so much for the women.

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

Salty sea spray and coconut water. Very simple and natural smelling scent, but hasn't this been done before by dozens of brands trying recreate the tropical surf image?

Anyway, I don't like aquatic notes, I mainly tried this for the coconut. It is quite pleasing, once the calone evaporates. It has a dry balmy sweetness, not at all oily or sickening like some lesser quality coconut scents can be. But for the price "Coccobello" is just too plain.

If you like Creed "Virgin island Water" this is worth a try.

teresissima
teresissima

where is the sea? and the coconut?...non my cup of tea

lyktor
lyktor

The palm leaf is too strong at the beginning, i dislike it so much

After 30 min the mid notes appears, the coconut is not sugary, it's very natural but subtle .

the palm leaf tones down but it's still there .. very well done fragrance but i cant stand this note

pyji
pyji

Sharp and citric young, GREEN coconut - the kind you drink from - with a vanillic (coconut creamy) base swiring in the background.

It's one of the most natural coconut accords I've found in a perfume, though from what I've gathered during my experiences with Heeley, this is hardly surprising - he is a photographer as opposed to an impressionist painter. Very literal and meticulously accurate, he lends something of the mathematician to his rigorously researched and yet understated creations. The result is often compelling in some way, as it is here and in his magnum opus Sel Marin, but there is a way in which it is also lacking in imagination. Were his perfumes half the price, I might indulge, as they have great silage and longevity, and for the most part are effective post cards for particular moments in time.

Here, as with Sel Marin, the admittedly inferior but affordably priced offerings from tropicana house Comptoir Sud Pacifique will stand in just fine for me.

Bkelk
Bkelk

This is not suntan lotion. This isn't a pina colada either. As other reviewers have stated, this is a very green coconut. The palm leaves are in the forefront - backed by a very green scent coconut water. It's a very earthy and natural smell and it reminds me of the way the air smells down in The Florida Keys. It's beachy, without being common and synthetic. I disagree with other reviewers who say that they don't get the floral notes. I think the gardenia is right up there in front with the coconut and palm. Despite the creamy, non sweet, floral mixture that is Coccobello - I don't think this is purely a woman's fragrance. It's so natural that it's definitely unisex. My only complaint is the price. People who spend $180 on perfume usually want a PERFUME. Not something that smells like natural essential oils. I love this stuff - but I just might have to stick with my Cantu hair lotion instead (which has much too much pineapple and smells exactly like a Pina colada).

silviaci
silviaci

Coccobello is the most appropriate name for this stunning fragrance:"coccobello" being the exclamation you hear from Coconut selling boys who walk the beaches in summer, coconut slices cradled in wicker baskets on fresh green leaves, stopping by relaxed beach standers marinating in suntan lotion to offer a welcome thist-quenching, crunchy piece of fruit.
Heavenly.
I love this fragrance for two reasons:
One, it attains the democratic aim to give Coconut a masculine edge, thanks to the savory touch of crunchy, metallic salt and the extensive Palm leaf, which comes out amazing and almost seems to steal the scene from Coconut (but doesn't: they're perfect co-protagonists). The Cedar note lying underneath adds a perfect touch of solidity and strength.
Second, and this is really admirable, Coccobello manages to steer Coconut away from the constrictive and boring realm of the so-called, dready, abused "gourmands". "Gourmand" being a sad attempt at replacing good food with olfactory alternatives in the minds of a sick, anorexic female imaginarium that has reached impressive and worrying heights lately.
I recommend you try Coccobello without the trite expectation of a "gourmandy", "creamy", "yummy" fragrance, but just as it is, a wonderful, green and salty take on this special foody note.

This may be a bit soon, but I was gifted a sample of this from a lovely Fragrantica member and I must say.. this is NOT what I expected. No, not at all.
I was very curious about Coccobello. I love coconut, but few can live up to my expectations. Also a lot of fragrances where people smell phantom coconut, I don't.
Coccobello is almost acerbic. Palm leaf + salt, maybe? It's quite green and almost gritty. Coconut is not prominent at all to my nose. It's very watery. I also do not smell any white florals or anything that could define this as tropical.
It's more like a desert island than a tropical paradise.
And so, as a lover of coconut, I am relaying this information to other coconut lovers to say, PLEASE test this first. Granted, most wouldn't go for such a pricey blind buy, but still.
Not a bad fragrance and an interesting take. I'm very happy to have been able to sample it. But seriously, James Heeley, you are such a tease!

Hélio Sérgio Rocha
Hélio Sérgio Rocha

Heeley CoccoBello

Coconut and Palm leaves give me a great opening.I would say coconut water (i can feel a milky accord here) with green notes i can get too. It evokes summer, a fresh day in front of the beach, drinking marguerita and being well treated like you are in a SPA, feeling relaxed. It is not any kind of beach, i would say a day in Saint Tropez..lol

Interesting that i do not think it is a simple summer scent... It is refined and luxury too. I can detect a creamy floral note that reminds me Ylan Ylang (i think it the touch of gardenia - chic!).

Good sillage and longevity too.

I would recommend for the summer...

blueangel0313
blueangel0313

I tried this today and I smelled nothing but green and very faint coconut in there. A scrubber for me.

antfarm
antfarm

Coccobello smells like an astringent, poisonous coconut on me. My skin really amps the more acidic notes, which kind of makes me imagine an evil spy on a secret island putting rat poison in someone's pina colada.

EnglishCountryGarden
EnglishCountryGarden

Tested this courtesy of Les Senteurs sample service along with Heeley's Oranges and Lemons Say the bells of St. Clements. My deep unconscious self must have urged me to make that particular order, and this is why. Cocobello, on it's own, on my skin is coconut wiped over with an over ripe mango, and is just way too... what's the word? ... "greasy" for me. I was expecting more "tang", more green, and more salt....But it actually smelled like thick Palmer's cocoa butter to me after a while, which is not my favourite thing and makes me itch. I was, as you can imagine, very disappointed. To be perfectly fair, it did dry down much better than it went on, and the sandalwood/gardenia combo matures well with age. If only we could all do that! On to the St Clements then. Classic cologne, very masculine (if you are old enough to remember when men wore this kind of thing), but still rather nice. It puts one in mind of a heavy Oak carved cupboard containing a shaving mug and brush and those arcane objects your grandfather kept there. I liked it. Now, I decided I would try cocobello again, but, slippery of fingers, spilled a drop onto my arm which was still wafting St. Clements. Hang on a mo.... wow. Just wow. That was the scent I was hoping for. Coconut with the greasy edges knocked off, zippety doo-dah orange/lemon/bergamot/mandarin/green notes and little traces of cedar begin to creep through, in the classic salt water suspension which James Heeley does most excellently and without comparison. Lots of compliments on this combo, from young and old, so I'd say this is spot on. Now all I have to do it take out a small mortgage to afford a bottle of each in the throes of austerity. Oh, the torture! Postscript: After living with Coccobello plus OALSTBOSC for some time, I find I can now wear Coccobello on it's own, and love it! The perfume matures beautifully as it dries down, losing the "greasy" vibe fairly quickly.

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

Coccobello is simply coconut and palm leaf to my nose. If you are a coconut scent lover, you will love Coccobello. The coconut is not candy-sweet, but creamy and pleasant to smell. It is contrasted by the palm leaf scent. I do smell a light woody scent in the background, but I am not sure if it is sandalwood or cedar. I definitely don't get the salt scent that Fragrantica mentions. The vanilla and gardenia scents are extremely light to me. Fragrantica does not mention mint, but I detect a minty smell.

Coccobello is like smelling a pile of ground coconut served on a palm leave and over a light wood board. Enjoyable, nice, and "cocolicious". It is clean, creamy, comforting, and mellow.

Sillage and duration are not great. Coccobello goes skin on me within a couple of hours. It is totally unisex.

Coccobello is a true niche fragrance. Is it for coconut scent lovers, nobody else. It will not draw complements, in my opinion, from people, unless they are coconut scent heads.

Caramelle
Caramelle

Finally got to smell Coccobello! It is aptly named. It smells mostly of coconut and to me it resembles my beloved Philosykos a lot,at least the way it smells on hot days when the coconut note is more pronounced.I can also smell a leafy green note,but it's nowhere near as green or woody as Philosykos.Coccobello doesn't smell very complex to my nose,it's quite an enjoyable,but linear coconut scent on my skin. No salty note on me,either; rather sweet into the late drydown when the vanilla kicks in.Beautiful,but not really unique.If I didn't already have Philosykos I would have been tempted to have a full bottle.

sameh
sameh

Truth is i never owned a heely frag before & the notes looks interesting & awesome as well . so sure wanna have it since i also have a deep respect for coconut !

Coccobello by James Heeley 3.64 out of 5 based on 78 ratings and 22 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about James Heeley Coccobello fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about James Heeley Coccobello, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Coccobello by James Heeley. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Coccobello by James Heeley represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.