Designers » I-K » Citrus « Groups

Oranges and Lemons Say The Bells of St. Clements James Heeley for women and men

Oranges and Lemons Say The Bells of St. Clements James Heeley for women and men
dislike

Oranges and Lemons Say The Bells of St. Clements Was introduced in 2010, made of refreshing notes of bergamot, lemon, orange, mandarin, neroli, petit grain, Earl Grey tea, ylang-ylang and vetiver. Available as 100 ml EDP.

Bergamot Lemon Orange Mandarin Orange

Petitgrain Neroli Tea

Vetiver Ylang-Ylang

4711 Original Eau de Cologne
Clean Ultimate

Oranges and Lemons Say The Bells of St. Clements Fragrance Reviews

OTA Mom
OTA Mom

Like others have observed, the initial blast was startling and to me, a completely offputting slap in the face of vetiver and neroli. But I didn't scrub and allowed it to evolve, and about half an hour later I could distinguish the orange and tea notes. From then on, I was on board. I did not detect any "earl gray essence"--thankfully. Too bad that the enjoyable part of the experience was completely over within two hours, leaving no trace.

mutatismutandis
mutatismutandis

Oranges and lemons and bergamot and neroli. It's nice but a little sharp. The vetiver gives it a slightly woody base but it does smell pretty much the same all the way through: there is no real development, no olfactory journey. Whether that's a positive or not depends on (a) whether you like the smell or not and (b) whether or not you expect development from a fragrance. I get a good seven hours before it fades.

It's extremely pricey at 125 Euros for 100 ml direct from the website and if I were going to go into that sort of price range for a citrus scent I'd probably choose Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino instead.

kingderella
kingderella

A very sophisticated, grown-up citrus, with a pleasant amount of bitterness. Doesn't smell even a little like cleaning products.

I'm also getting quite a bit of green tea, is it just me?

janjanjan
janjanjan

An earthy, green, serene take on citrus with loads of neroli. Very comforting and well made, up to snuff for anyone (like me) who generally avoids citrus that is too bright and bubbly. Bonus points for the name! Lovely stuff!

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

Smells like a less sumptuous version of "Neroli Portofino" by Tom Ford. It barely lasts 10 minutes and is not even that refreshing for a citrus scent; the vetiver and neroli make it quite harsh and earthy.

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

Green, citrus,floral,vetiver all wrapped in one. The lemon/orange accord is sparkling with bergamot in the opening 30 mins. Then I get hints of neroli and ylang ylang but mainly vetiver dominates. A very sparkling fragrance that is great for warm weather. I only have a dab on sample so it's hard to judge sillage but it seems average. It's a great fun fragrance but I would not pay the price for this type of scent.

The opening is stunning, full of petitgrain, citruses then when it settles a little the deep dry nature of vetiver and tea with maybe a hint of ginger. All the while at the back of this is a white floral note which is the unmistakably soapy texture of neroli. All these elements to me give this scent has a Mediterranean feel and the drydown becomes dominated by neroli and petitgrain.
What I like about this fragrance is the strength and projection in the first couple of hours, if you like things like neroli portofino or Mugler Cologne this is a scent with some considerable power and pretty good longevity worth looking at. I for one am not so fond of neroli and it's dominant here, my summary of the first fragrance I've tried from this house is not bad at all.

celadoster
celadoster

Petitgrain petitgrain petitgrain!!! And a little bit of ylang-ylang.

Q80
Q80

i remember when i meet James when he was visiting, he told me that he is English but he lives in France so he wanted and LOVES to do a vintage perfume to present the typical England, he told me this perfume was inspired by a square in UK (mostly in London as far as i remember), so he told me we have lost mostly everything vintage and everything turned into modern in London but this square as it's loosing it's magic by days. he said, that square he remembered when he was young he keeps on smelling the oranges and lemons that they sell there, it was like a meeting point for those citrus sellers. he said "it was one of my childhood memories & maybe only English people will understand what i meant but i have created this so everybody will feel the vintage & the freshness of this square". he even mentioned the typical English breakfast that has something also to do with this perfume (the toast, the jam, butter, & the English tea).
it is a very good perfume and you can sense that it is James's, u can sense his touch in it as all of his other perfume collections. but unfortunately this perfume is too weak as it vanishes very quickly within 2 or 3 hours max although it screams tough & shouts out laud at the first spray but then vanishes too soon.

Bartdino
Bartdino

Great opening...wonderful citrus mix but on me last not more than half hour maybe less. What a pity...

curtmaster
curtmaster

Great stuff here, might be a little strong for some people's noses but if you can tolerate it, then it is something very nice to sniff for a couple of hours.
Actually just sprayed this on right now.

asmhfdbds
asmhfdbds

Walking in a garden of orange and lemons trees in spring , after a couple of shower in the morning , the weather become warm,sunny and clear , u r eating a lemon and smelling the huge dose of neroli. This is the picture wich invokes to me this fragrance , absolutley magnificent!
The smell is neroli and lemons , very high quality juice , it's not unique and yes , may ressemble a lot of eau de cologne but no way in this quality .
If u like citrus fragrances , u need to check this !
Last 4 hours on my skin with good projection and get compliments.
If i would choose a color for the smell , i would say white ( crisp and clean ).
Simply amazing !

jeffwithfrags
jeffwithfrags

Horrible, horrible bitter oranges at the start. Almost pungent, I was really shocked when applying my LuckyScent vial. Was this a counterfeit? Can't have been!

Still reeling from the initial blast I applied some more, hoping the 1st test was just a bad dream or scent-shock. Nope, the 2nd time was even worse!

It is not even smooth, no subtleties and no grace- I just cannot understand the majority of niche designers!

Practically no development, it just went on and on relentlessly. No tea, no special surprise, just endless orangey-bug spray/cleaning fluid. Bucket loads!

The greeny-bitterness was uncompromising- tea is listed in the notes suggesting sweetness with rich aromatic chai? This is anything but that sort of inspired- I was left thoroughly unimpressed. As if to insult- common notes such as neroli and vetiver are also present, but add nothing special- surely that is the aim of the game! To offer a something a little special- maybe not 'different', just a little special. But, sigh.

One of the worse scents (and very likely the worst niche scent) I've ever come across.

Edit-
Just wanted to state my harsh score is based on spending at least $100 for a bottle of this. It smooths out the slightest bit after an hour, but it's just all too late, and for me there are still many better offerings even from designers out there. Just go with Terre de Hermes if you want a good orange scent, in the price bracket of the designer Chanels.

1/5.

paxtt
paxtt

I received this scent today and must say that I loved it immediately; perfect for an Australian summer. It is a sophisticated conconction, which puts me in mind of Acqua di Genova, which bursts with citrus. I just wish the 'oranges and lemons' lasted longer.

gabyvinki
gabyvinki

This is such a good orangey citrus fragrance..I kept coming back to my little sample..this is to my nose the most wonderful, deep, woody unique orange citrus I ve ever smelled. The vetiver and the ylang gave it some depth and it has a slightly bitterness to it with is just delicicious. I am not normally a fan of citrus related fragrances but this is love at first, second and 100th sniff:)

Migotka
Migotka

James Heeley is at the moment one of the most creative noses in the industry, and his creations combine originality, vision and excellent quality.
Oranges and Lemons did not blow me away, but I was charmed by its freshness and natural feel. The fragrance opens with a breeze of citrus notes: the lovely, sharp lemon and juicy orange. No 'lemonade' feeling though. It's a real experience of tasting a freshly squeezed juice from fresh fruit.

Vetyver makes up a nice, woody base for the citrus while neroli adds just a touch of sweetness. The fragrance just asks to be sprayed all over the place. I think it is the most optimistic out of the whole range.

One thing I could complain about is the longetivity, not as good as JH's other creations.

Papi
Papi

This is a masterpiece. I mentioned it on the forum I believe. It's simply, fresh citrus, orange on the start and afterwards it is lovely, give it 20 mins more or less.

Is it similar to anything else? Yes, imagine Hermes's d'Terre, but much better, bitter and more masculine.

Last but not least, you REALLY need to try other scents from the brit, like; Sel Marine and Cardinal which are masterpieces too.

Down side is the price, BUT these Heeley's frags are really "hard to find" and are EDPs too. It's guaranteed that maybe 1 in 10,000 will smell like you, if you live in a big city of course:)

Another winner from this house. If I'd have to describe Heeley's creations I'd surely say they're contemporary classics as he usualy takes his ispiration from old-fashioned classic themes and it gives them a twist to become tremendously modern. O&LSTBOSC is a rivisitation of the classic cologne but Mr Heeley is able to to turn it into something special and unique. Citruses and neroli on top, vetiver and neroli in the drydown. Simple but absolutely delightful. As most of the others creations from this house, this cologne is not flashy, or immidately appealing. But if you wear it, you'll realize that it will discreetly claim your attention with its gentle and distinctive smell.

If you're into discreet elegance, if you prefer details to straight in the face opulence you absolutely have to check all of the fragrances from this marvellous house.

Rating: 7-7.5/10

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about James Heeley Oranges and Lemons Say The Bells of St. Clements fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about James Heeley Oranges and Lemons Say The Bells of St. Clements, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Oranges and Lemons Say The Bells of St. Clements by James Heeley. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Oranges and Lemons Say The Bells of St. Clements by James Heeley represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.