Designers » I-K » Floral « Groups

Ombre Rose L'Original Jean Charles Brosseau for women

Ombre Rose L'Original Jean Charles Brosseau for women
dislike

Ombre Rose L'Original Jean Charles Brosseau for women Pictures Ombre Rose L'Original Jean Charles Brosseau for women Pictures Ombre Rose L'Original Jean Charles Brosseau for women Pictures

Ombre Rose L'Original by Jean Charles Brosseau is a Floral fragrance for women. Ombre Rose L'Original was launched in 1981. The nose behind this fragrance is Francoise Caron. Top notes are aldehydes, peach, brazilian rosewood and geranium; middle notes are sandalwood, orris root, vetiver, ylang-ylang, lily-of-the-valley, cedar and rose; base notes are honey, iris, tonka bean, cinnamon, musk, vanilla and heliotrope.

Aldehydes Peach Brazilian Rosewood Geranium

Drole de Rose
Lutece

Ombre Rose L'Original Fragrance Reviews

Dear Ombre Rose,

Did you know that you have a cousin named Love's Baby Soft and it's possible that you two have never met?

You two have so many similarities such as a powdery and soft scent after application-and so I'm thinking you must be related somehow.

Both of you are contained in small bottles no bigger than a person's palm and are easily affordable.

Unlike your modern cousin, you have an old-world style that would be considered a little more mature and demure but both of you come from the same baby powder family tree - for sure.

Hope to see more perfumes from your woody and powdery related lineage!

Warm regards,

:0)

Chubbs07
Chubbs07

I made a blind buy after suggestions and i'm so happy i bought this! i love the rose scent and keep sniffing my inner wrist. I'm absolutely in love with this rosy, clean,musky, flowery smell :)

sirop de Liège
sirop de Liège

Having used this perfume during the 80' and 90' for some reason after 1995 it was no longer for sale in my country.
I sparingly finished the little that was left and felt very sad. Over the years I looked for replacements in perfume like L'eau en Blanc by Lolita Lempicka (little longevity and sillage and lacking rose) and Montale's Powder Flowers (monstrous longevity and sillage but too heavy for office wear)
Now, thanks to internet, I have found this beauty again and at a bargain price!
When it came in the mail I was glad to discover it had not changed at all, still the same soft musky powdery rose perfume with an incredible longevity!

jenniewebb
jenniewebb

I have the EDT and the EDP. They are similar enough for me to comment on them together.

I get clean, cool and sweet rose-musk powder. The EDP has greater depth, but both exude a cool, almost ice cream-like top note. When the top note fades the powder takes over. I feel sweet and special when I wear this fragrance. I don't think it's an office perfume. It makes me feel clean and it puts me in a relaxed and calm frame of mind.

I'm very glad I stumbled across this fragrance.

mirrorghost
mirrorghost

this is a close-to-the-skin musky floral. it's all powdery rose, iris and soft musk on me, and not much else. i don't think i get all those notes listed! i tried it from a sample but it doesn't have much sillage. maybe in a spray bottle i could cover more ground ;) but at any rate, i really like the scent, i just wish it projected a bit more. it's very soft and comforting. not overwhelming at all.

Angel in the South
Angel in the South

This was another blind buy for me but I have no regrets. I do wish that it had better sillage as it does stay close to the skin in a soft romantic way. I sprayed in on my wrists and top and went out for a couple of hours. I was very pleased that I could still smell it after 5 hours, ok not a long time but inexpensive enough to buy another bottle and spray twice a day if I wanted to. Rose, powder and a little soft woody background. I would be in 7th heaven if I could find this in EDP but until then I will happily enjoy this little beauty. I think that I will layer with a rose scented body lotion to make it last longer.

Soie

[This review is in regards to the pure parfum strength of Ombre Rose L'Original, which I recently purchased in hopes it would boost the sillage and staying power of Ombre Rose L'Original in EdT strength.]

Looking up to the right hand side of the screen, the top listed main accord for this is one of woodiness. Eau de toilette is the strength of this fragrance of which I am most familiar, and I would not characterize it as being especially woody in aspect.

Ombre Rose L'Original in parfum strength is distinctly woody in aroma -- main accord which I typically avoid, as it is usually a bit too masculine-smelling for my tastes (I have several heavily woodsy women's fragrances that I quietly tucked away due to their overtly masculine odor.

In this, however, the bottom heavy quality of it is balanced out by its sweet honey & vanilla gourmand notes.

Beside being very woody, its aldehydic quality, powderiness as well as its note of heliotrope (I smell a lot of cherry-almond in the opening blast) are more pronounced in this than in the EdT formula.

That said, the parfum does anchor the EdT for a while longer than usual but overall the combined strengths seem somewhat linear in scent, as I don't notice a development of notes or a progression of stages in the same way as with the eau de toilette.

There is no noticeable increase in sillage that I can detect.

lipglossandabackpack
lipglossandabackpack

This is lovely. On me it was all powdery musk, enveloping me in a warm embrace. There was definitely less rose than I'd expected, but the iris that takes its place is more than welcome. This is innocent femininity; it might be traditional (I can imagine it being worn to a 1950s sock hop by a girl in a poodle skirt!) but I wouldn't call it "old lady" at all. I've been keeping my bottle at my desk for those days when I forget to apply perfume before I leave the house in the morning. Even in its first few minutes, Ombre Rose is pure softness, never overwhelming.

Soie

Jean Charles Brosseau "Ombre Rose" is the most beautiful fragrance in my sizeble fragrance collection. It is, however, low on both sillage and staying power. I'm looking into purchasing it in either EdP or pure parfum form.

HyacinthBucket
HyacinthBucket

I always thought this was a lovely rose fragrance. It's a warm rose, not a fresh rose. There's some bright rose geranium in there at the very beginning but then it's all bois de rose and sandalwood. Very comforting.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

I've owned this beauty for a couple months now and I'm loving it every bit as much today as I did when I first tried it.
Ombre Rose L'Original opens with a bit of a pinch - I agree with some others that it is a teensy bit hairspray like (but like, Elnett, the nice smelling hair sprays)but it quickly settles into a dry powdery scent that is all at once simple, pretty and cosy.
I won't pretend I smell all that there is listed in this scent. For me this is predominantly geranium and iris, with an old school rose and some sweetness, more from tonka than heliotrope to me. While very powdery, it has more of a woody character than a floral one. More than anything this smells like expensive, vintage talc. If you're not interested in baby powder smells this is probably not what you're looking for - it's definitely face powder rather than lipstick as far as make-up smells go.
I associate the scent of talcum powder with childhood, as that just out of the bath smell and this is why I think of Ombre Rose as a fresh scent. It's not fresh like green or watery, but fresh like clean skin and soap, even though it's also not a soapy fragrance. Perfect for cuddling up at night, starting out a day fresh or feeling pin-up pretty and popping out in red lipstick with a perfectly powdered nose. A very versatile scent, that has excellent staying power.
As a note though, my bottle is vintage. I can't say if the newer version smells identical.

muckypup61
muckypup61

The only perfume I ever wore that I could not smell once it was on my skin! Very, very strange!

zzMaja
zzMaja

Used to love this. It is soft and powdery. The rose is light and delicate not overpowering at all. The iris and the musk work very nicely to soften the rose scent. They had taken it off the market for a while and when it came back it seemed changed. I would love to try this again because I really loved the softness and femininity of it. Makes you feel like you are actually wrapped in a soft baby blanket.

Dufteren
Dufteren

I have to take a pause, the same pause I took when I smelled Boudoir for the first time. It is the aldehydes in the beginning that screams at you, and gives a sharp synthetic bug spray/hairspray scent. But you pause because you know this isn't it, there is something more lurking in the background something rewarding for those who are willing to wait. The rose dances in the background and then takes the centre stage, the screaming aldehydes quiets down a bit, but never disappears and gives the scent the necessary kick, and keeps it from becoming boring. I don't smell the iris but I suspect it is responsible for powdery feel of this perfume. This is in my eyes a vintage perfume, very feminine but not in any way girly, this screams woman all the way. I absolutely love the scent and the bottle, but I leave a warning, this is not for everyone, try it before you buy it (I didn't). LOL

gentiana
gentiana

I received it today from an internet discounter, this one waited on my buy list for more than a year.
Nice rose smell, powdery and slightly woody.
The iris & orris root is noticeable, some spices and a hint of heliotrope.
Quiet smell, kind of well-behaved young ladies in ivory and light pink dresses having tea, chatting and doing "passence" with cards in a room with classic flower printed wallpapers and dried flower arrangements in vases, dried flowers in baskets and potpurries. And more dried flowers.
It wears very close to the skin, have to smell my wrist from close.
I sprayed liberally on my neck, then on mi clothes and I barely feel some faint almondy-rosy-powdery smell.
The projection is dissapointing, I literally have to bath in it to feel the smell.

EDIT:
As I returned to my work, I got from time to time nice wafts of smell.
It isnt totally weak, maybe I wasn't patient enough.
And, to be honest: today, till trying Ombre Rose I already tried 2 Prada samples, smelled 3-4 other fragrances and I had to cope with the omnipresent and omnipotent smell of Demeter's "This is not a Pipe" that flew and soaked the box, because the spray sistem is kind of broken.
Maybe I was unfair with Ombre Rose, judging it with a tired nose.

Tomorrow I will give another try, in the morning.

Sherihan
Sherihan

I was wearing White Misc by the Body Shop, and my sister(who was a fan of this) said that it reminds her of this one.

pyji
pyji

I was gifted a bottle of this at Christmas time from a relative. It is very strong with good lasting power. I liked it in the opening, when it was an aldehydic, soapy, spicy and sweet rose scent. The problem for me was in the drydown, which is very heavy on vanilla, too traditional for me, and somewhat reminiscent of mothers and the warmth of maternal cuddles. With that in mind, I gifted it to my own mother, though I'm not averse to some day revisiting this one.

lizziekayy
lizziekayy

Just got the cologne of this. It is very weak. I sprayed loads on. Tried spraying it on clothes. Still barely perceptible. The fragrance is absolutely nothing to write home about. Powder, powder everywhere and very light and one dimensional all the way. Not unpleasant but not worth the money. I much prefer roget gallet eau fraiche rose.

Not Sure
Not Sure

My very first grown up fragrance and true love; my signature for many years. Then it became hard to find and we parted ways. Fast forward to 2012,found it online at Kohl's and ordered a bottle. It still smelled the same but alas, my chemistry or tastes have changed and it's no longer magical. Powder no longer works for me. Sigh!

My review is for the lovely Cologne that was gifted to me by my Fragrantica pal, Whiteshoulders. Thank you for a marvelous perfume!

I was always curious about Ombre Rose but never went ahead and purchased it. I wish I bought it a long time ago! The amounts of powder, sweetness, and rose are all just right, blending together to create a delicate fragrance that smells both complex and clean. If the cologne smells this perfect, I can only imagine the EDT!

I am pregnant with my first child, and when I smell this heavenly perfume, I can just imagine holding my newborn baby and nuzzling his/her soft, sweet skin. This perfume is so cozy and tender.

I think I prefer Ombre Rose over Keiko Mecheri's Loukhoum. Loukhoum seems unbalanced in comparison--too much sugar and too much powder.

The Cologne is soft, but it lasts a long time. I only sprayed once and rubbed my wrists together, and people could smell it on me from 3 feet away, so it is heavier than a skin scent.

Thanks again for this endearing beauty, Whiteshoulders!

mhubbard
mhubbard

Just cannot smell a thing here, tried many times. Is there a very distant flower? I am ambivalent. I am not certain if I am smelling something, or this is my imagination. Staying power like water. Very, very, very, weak, turned me off to perfumes for years for that reason.

hadassa
hadassa

This is a very decent powdery perfume, especially for the price. You will get iris-heliotrope-rose combination with a hint of aldehydes and a retro/vintage (but not dated) touch. This is one of the best in this "genre", I like it more than Teint de Neige or Powder Flowers.

This is quite long lasting, too, and has a nice sillage. I totally see it on a girl in a pretty 60s dress + who is most definitely wearing bright red lipstick!

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

Vaguely reminiscent of Al Rehab's Red Rose and Guerlain's Shalimar Initial L'Eau, or a combination of both.

Where Shalimar Initial L'Eau has a definite musky iris haze this just has a tiny hint of that scenty iris feel (more in dry-down). And where Red Rose has powder compact feel, this only nods slightly in that direction. It's softer and less womanly than Red Rose which I'd say is a rounder, more 'curvy' perfume

This has a fresh from the shower clean, warm glow (lily of the valley and rosewood very evident).

Overall it makes me think of a perfumed sachet that might be added to a purchase of romantic-style lingerie, from a small suburban boutique shop.

Definitely romantic in feel, quite innocent, ideal for a visit to church (not something I'm in the habit of doing except randomly to seek a few moments of peace, or explore a beautiful old building)

I don't find it similar to Drole de Rose at all, which has far more nostalgia and depth. Lutece, yes though possibly Lutece is softer.

This is not really me, it's too conservative, and in my search for a nostalgic powdery rose this doesn't hit the mark because it's too upright and plastic in feel.

Where Drole de Rose has a gentle heart this is a bit too bright. If a perfume has a personality, this woman is slightly starched and not especially poetic - she's not reclining in the grass near a rose bed in the twilit hours, she's indoors watching TV while crocheting baby clothes, when they're ready she'll present them as gifts to her friends or family and they'll smell of Ombre Rose.

Nothing wrong in any of those pursuits, but I've never crocheted baby clothes in my life, and don't hugely want to start now, I'd be no good at it anyway, but this perfume might convince people I am!

Some people say it's fun to wear a perfume that's the opposite of you, but this would be a bit beyond the pale!

Lust87
Lust87

Ombre Rose is one of my favorite perfumes. There's no more comfortable, silky, warm and innocent perfume in my collection than Ombre Rose. When i'm wearing it, i feel safe, comfortable, quiet, but otherside - confident, elegant and sophisticated.
The quantity of notes can be impressive, but all i can detect in Ombre Rose is rose-iris powder - dry, cosmetic, luxurious, really nice to my nose. Besides - a hint of light aldehydes makes Ombre Rose a bit brighter and sharper in the beginning, but it's still nice and easy to wear.
In the drydown i can detect warm and noble sandalwood with soft, feminine white musk.
Doesn't it sound too complicated? It is not complicated. It's simply magical, elegant, almost nostalgic.
Perfect for any occasion. Just if you like to wear powdery, sophisticated and ultra feminine fragrances with a vintage twist.

fumelover
fumelover

No rose here!

I bought the EDT based on the lovely reviews but it's not for me.

With the first spray, I get musk and flowers but no rose.

After a few minutes, it settles into pure powder but not baby powder. Think, loose face powder, the kind that ends up at the bottom of your cosmetic bag.

Now after 30 minutes, I get a heavy musk scent. It's an EDT but good gawd...it is here to stay! I can see this one lasting several hours. It's not a scrubber but it's the type of musk that makes your eyes water and your throat close up. It's old fashioned in my opinion but I can see some women pulling this one off. You know how some musks can be dirty and some can be clean? This one is right smack in the middle.

I sprayed one full spray on my arm and have washed it off and it's still here.

If you are a musk lover, you may enjoy this one and for the price... I got a 3.4 oz bottle from Target online for $28 + shipping, you get a lot of scent for the money. I was hoping the vanilla and honey notes would soften it up a bit and I REALLY wanted the cinnamon to come through. I get no spice form this. Just musk. If that's your thing, then you will like it.

chchristyen
chchristyen

Opens with a powderiness that's a bit sharp on the nose. I do not detect any rose, real or synthetic, beginning to end. It does, however, dry down to a sweet, light musky floral - again, not fresh flowers or fresh fruits, but to me it's a dry and delicate composition, quite clean and subtle. This was all from a dab to the wrist; I imagine that a spray of this would develop differently and the opening would probably linger longer... however, it's only really the drydown of this fragrance that is desirable to me.

violetbluebird
violetbluebird

I bought ombre rose Eau de cologne as a blind buy and was pretty sure i was going to like it based on all the positive reviews i had read but unfortunately it doesn't smell pretty on me at all. I was expecting soft baby powder,roses and all things pretty but all i get is a strong soap smell which gives me a headache. If anyone in the uk would like to do a perfume swap then please let me know as i have an 100ml bottle.
Am sure it smells beautiful on some people but unfortunately not me.

red347
red347

Perfect! This is a wonderful fragrance. On me, I get a rose, powdery, wood scent. A little sweet, but not sickly, just the right amount. I got the edc formula in a swap, thank you so very much Rosie!, and it has quickly became my new favorite.

Very strong for a cologne concentration so be careful with the trigger. I oversprayed it on my first try thinking it would be on the weak side, boy was I wrong, but there wasn't the first sign of a headache, just a room filled with a wonderful fragrance!

This is a very well formulated scent, "smooth" from start to finish, and for me, after it really settles into the base notes is when it is best, sultry powdery woods!

I give the EDC a 10/10 for its strength, composition, and longevity. I hope you have the same experience with Ombre Rose as I do!

Narboni
Narboni

If you want a rose scent not is the most appropriate place to find it. But if you are looking for something powdery with which to pamper yourself, I'm thinking on winter, those who admire Villoresi "Teint de Neige", like a lot this beautiful fragance.

Hills by the Sea
Hills by the Sea

Ombre Rose to me is not a rose perfume, at least not in the same category as a tea rose or rose soliflore. It is hard for me to describe this scent, but what I get from Ombre Rose is a composite of the scent of soft, pretty face cream, rose soap, powders in their canisters with big fluffy puffs, all residing on cream-colored hand-worked old lace atop a rosewood dressing table, with a big carved oval mirror.

If you peeked closely in the mirror, you might just catch a glimpse of a lady in a simple white lace dress as she slips on a stole and sprays herself with Ombre Rose before stepping out in the dusk for a stroll in the garden.

Yes, Ombre Rose has that quality which inspires such imaginings! Ombre Rose is also everything I had wanted from Lutece but alas could not find in that perfume. I will be acquiring a 100 ml to add to my 30 ml bottle for sure. Longevity and sillage are both modest so a big bottle of this beauty is definitely in order!

evocative
evocative

Powdery rose, with sandalwood, cinnamon, musk and vanilla.
Ombré Rose is a warm perfume. Sweet but never sickly and no sharp edges at all.

I wore this for years. I introduced my mother to it. She's worn it for years.

I stopped wearing it for a few years because an ex hated it: reckoned it smelt like old lady perfume, but I'm starting to wear it again. I'd missed it.

It's longevity on me is amazing. It stays on my skin and hair even after showering. A spray on the nape of my neck lasts all day.

annetw
annetw

Blind bought this online - was hoping to love it and am glad to say I do! <3 Lovely, lovely scent - and extremely affordable!

Warm, powdery, soft, old make-up-ish indeed.. Even reminds me a bit of the good quality kind of face paint used in theatres.

Vintage but doesn't smell 'old' - rather subtle.

Really loving its comforting sweetness. I'm never good with individual notes, but knowing it's in there I think the honey is quite prominent on me!

I smell a new favourite..

However, sillage and longevity (EDT) are not as I had hoped.. Does anyone know if the EDP smells the same and if its longevity + projection are noticeably better?

Thanks! :)

goingblonde
goingblonde

A soft, very powdery Rose.
Isnt bad, but it doesnt have any "kick" or "wow" factor either.A safe simple Rose scent.
Actually reminds me of baby powder with hint of Rose

debra a
debra a

this is an old time favorite of mine, very delicate, soft with hints of powder and floral vanilla..love it

joliecat
joliecat

Ombre Rose EDT is a true winner ! Beautiful sheer powdery rose and soft whispery rosewood. It dries down to super soft cinnamon. Projection is strong for several hours, but stays a soft, lightly powdery pleasing fragrance. Longevity is terrific ! Lasts on fabric and skin until you wash it off.

The powder in Ombre Rose is sheer, gentle not as dense as in Habanita. Yes, at first spray, Ombre Rose is strong in bursts of vintage makeup powder and lipstick. But it settles quickly to a sheer gentle fragrance. It doesn't fade away, just sits nicely, sweet, soft, and very much "there" !

Many many thanks to all of you who wrote reviews ! ALL of your reviews helped me to decide to buy Ombre Rose, and I'm VERY glad I did ! This EDT will remain one of my lifetime favorites !

pbluberry
pbluberry

This is nice. I have the cologne spray in the black bottle, I assume it's vintage. Best way to describe like many has, this is rosey, powdery and soapy. As a colgne spray it's light and I'm glad to add it to my collection.

Yiyiblue
Yiyiblue

I was searching through a bunch of samples that I had left in a drawer and came across this. I am not drawn to rose scents but the word Ombre lured me in. Although I am new to identifying the notes in perfumes, I can definitely smell rose lying over the top of a musky vanillic base. I do not detect any cinnamon, but it may be balancing the rose. A fun, complex perfume. I can see how this would conjure up memories for many people. It evokes a nostalgic feel, probably because of the rose, of a time when perfumes could be quiet but still have character.

This sample was of the edp.

Cybernoir
Cybernoir

This review is of vintage parfum in the black quarter ounce bottle. Although rose predominates, it would be a mistake to think of this as a rose perfume, much less a rose soliflore. This is a well composed woody floral with an exceptionally protracted and inspired heart. Peach and rosewood open, giving a creamy, succulent fruit note that is well balanced with a citrus that is not at all sour, nor sweet, but fresh and crisp, surprising since most of this fragrance's work happens on a different tonal level.

The heart is complex, precessional, stately, not playful, but certainly witty. The roses, since there are more than one rose, open strong, and never really leave the scene, but are quickly joined by an inspired iris, a delicate lily of the valley, and a soapy sandalwood, that combine to create the "first" heart, and which also combine to smell hauntingly of theatrical makeup, powders and lipsticks. There is a moment when you are suddenly backstage, in a dressing room with old fashioned powders and feather brushes.

But ombré rose doesn't stop there. You literally have another heart and two Base phases to go, with at least two distinct dry downs. And what dry downs they are, musky, woody, balmy, earthy. The honey, iris and tonka create a profound vanillic backdrop, on which the vanilla, cinnamon and heliotrope are anchored. The long, sexy dry drown combines a rich rose, deep woods and a resinous cedar, and a velvety iris. Lovely, powdery, sophisticated and more sensual than sexual, with fabulous longevity, projection and sillage on me.

mi-jo.sayegh
mi-jo.sayegh

The last time I fell love with a fragrance this much was 10 or more years ago. This is for the new EDT. This is more rosewood than actual rose, so I can imagine it may not be for someone who loves the smell of true roses (which I do not) .It opens with the rosewood, the peach is minimal but just enough to make the opening juicy (really, the combination is just perfect, neither one over powers the other).The peach dies down but the rosewood stays, as to do the aldehydes (but not too much) and although it is powdery it has this brightness in the background that stops it from becoming cloying (the vetiver ? the iris ?). This is an elegant smell, and haunting, I do agree with those who used that word to describe this scent. Even though it is powdery, it`s sheer and yet still strong. It does not smell like any of the new perfumes you find today but it is also not like much like the old school scents either, it is very unique. It dries down to something tasty, but not overly sweet or cake like, just slightly honeyed cinnamon , enough to make it a warm.

anomie et ivoire
anomie et ivoire

Calls to my mind Boris Vian's novel L'Écume des Jours, or Froth on the Daydream, a post-dandy light-headed satire of existentialism's emergent grays, one indulgent description of rare burnished crisp shirt colors contrasting with pastel socks or one imagining of olfactory note piano at a time. Ombre Rose could be the character--or foamy daydream, devoid of character as she is, Chloe, a pre-Raphaelite type tragic young bride of not-long-for-this-world idealized beauty who is dying of a fanciful 'water lily on the lung.' The only cure for her rare ailment is to be surrounded by fresh cut flowers at all times, apparently a task far too expensive for her well-born new husband to maintain; he ultimately descends into poverty and desperation attempting to 'keep the romance alive,' as it were.

Ombre Rose is a panorama both vast (a large garden) and as in a bedroom (hothouse) claustrophobic with flowers hanging everywhere, spotless blooms, never a hint of heaviness or the sexy decay of typical rose. Iris, most prevalent of all, is a pale lipstick and pressed powder wash on a wan, unmarked face, a little ghostly. Musk and muguet are soft focus and funereal, gauzy, tasteful incarnations of classical nightgown and sheer robe sets: frills, ribbons, eyelet trim. Innocent, fluid, hypnagogic: Ombre Rose, the pink shadow, is a post-adolescent 70s meets 80s fever dream of what is to come when the softness reaches the edge of harsh reality. Precarious, almost grotesquely romantic, but there is a sharpness under Ombre Rose's fey exterior that marks this a classic of ultra feminine deliberate fragility.

The Fleetwood Mac song Angel, that underappreciated one on Tusk when Stevie is trying to be all dancehall flapper in her coked out way, sums up this one: "track a ghost through the fog. A charmed hour--a haunted song ... and the angel of my dreams ..." Gibson girl meets Victoriana with a soft New Agey vaguery that just works!

soonflower
soonflower

Powdery, soapy and rosy.

It's such a romantic and nostalgic scent.
Ombre Rose is ultra feminine and delicate.
Smells like innocent love to me.

It would be perfect spring scent when the nature is waking up after winter.

Such a shame that it doesn't last on me but it's the best powder scent I've tried lately.

stacey.donovan
stacey.donovan

Isn't the bottle gorgeous? This has a pretty big hit of hairspray smell at the beginning, but that goes away almost immediately. It's a baby-powdery/rosy scent that I find so comforting and romantic. I think it would be perfect to wear while sitting around in flannel pajamas reading romance novels.

arabbel
arabbel

This is a nice, pleasing fragrance. It settles into sort of dusty rose, giving it an almost Victorian-era feel.
However, on my skin, for the first few minutes, it takes on this sharp, sour smell that is not pleasant at all. I can either wait it out for 20 mins to an hour for it to turn into its sweet powder rose, or, more often, because I am not patient, I layer a thin spritz of Yves Rocher vanilla on top. Kind of weird, I know, but it actually gives it this nice warmth and rounds things out right away.

ammebirds
ammebirds

I wore this for a short time decades ago. Its way too sweet for my taste now. However, I probably got more compliments on itvfrom male strangers than any other perfume I've ever worn. Probably because it conveys a very innocent and approachable persona.

mjgaffrey
mjgaffrey

Oh, how very delightful to get back to this wonderful fragrance! It is a hit, both for me and my hubby. Smooth, warm, long-lasting. My new signature scent. I had to leave it for many years to then realize what I had missed. So glad to now be wearing it again!

vintage_scent
vintage_scent

Yes, this does take me back to the days of wearing lutece. I think this is a more romantic softer perfume, though...an all time favorite. If you love powdery old-fashioned makeup-y type perfumes, then this is for you.
A pink feminine powder puff scent, vintage rose, and I especially love the heliotrope and cinnamon musky drydown...always a favorite!:)

whiteshoulders
whiteshoulders

Really, really gorgeous; Ombré Rose is as romantic and lady like as a perfume can get. I picture a lovely lady in a sleeveless silky blouse and skirt, walking through an arbor by an old mansion, or a ballroom centuries ago, filled with ladies in dresses of silk and satin. Or, a mother, by a window in the moonlight rocking her little baby. All of these images spring to mind when wearing this beautiful scent. This would be the perfect scent for a wedding and honeymoon. It is powdery, soft and achingly sweet, very romantic and reminiscent of the past. The bottle is beautiful as well, and is feminine and vintage looking. This is one perfume I will repurchase again and again and again.

rosembloom

I am trying it out now and comparing it to the Eau de Cologne version. Exactly the same to my humble nose though the aldhehydes in the eau de cologne are lighter in the opening. The eau de toilette is an amped version but both are equally delightful, have a good pyramidal structure , great longevity and sillage. The peach is juicy and tart in the opening in the eau de cologne which is refreshing. Still as retro glam as ever, with it's musky rosy glow.. The drydown is light and everlasting. warning to those who are thinking about getting the eau de cologne: PLEASE DO! It is as opulent, long lasting and as priceless as the e.d.t. so do not go slap happy like I did! It is still very concentrated. I even wonder if I will need to repurchase another bottle since I have two 100 ml as backup ;)

mzfiguer
mzfiguer

I never actually got to have and HOLD this perfume but someone gave it to me as a gift when I was fifteen and in a hospital. I would see it shelved behind the nurses' desks, as we were not allowed to receive gifts and as I made my departure quite hastily, I was never able to enjoy it. I'm sure it must have been the one with the black bottle. In retrospect, I would like to thank that sensible soul who presented me with perfume (surely not knowing I enjoyed them so much), that was a sweet detail, whoever it was.

truffles

Got a lovely little miniature bottle, nearly full from Ebay. As it wears down, it very much reminds me of Gloria Vanderbilt - the purple swan one. Also of a frag called Intimate Musk (Revlon?) that was around when I was at school.
Oops, I see I repeated! Didn't notice the Vanderbilt 'til now. Hi Rosembloom, glad to be able to help!! xxxx

acavicchi
acavicchi

Oh, so disappointing...I loved this scent when I was in elementary school. A friend's mother had a bunch of sample bottles of popular fragrances (including Poison, which we also liked) and I remember my friend and I practically inhaling Ombre Rose, we loved it so much!
Yesterday I saw it in a shop and, having not smelled it in years, bought it immediately for old times sake. I'm not sure if it's just that it's the cologne formulation (plain bottle with a black lid rather than the pretty pink one) but it doesn't smell right: there's that same strong, musky rose with the intense iris and honey accompaniment that I'd loved but there's something just plain weird and kind of disgusting about the cologne, some strange note I can't identify and feel the need to wash off immediately.
Perhaps I'll see the actual perfume in the pretty bottle again someday,and be willing to give it a chance, but as for the cologne, I'm going to return it.

This was a semi blind buy for me. My mother wore this for years so I was familiar with the scent but never tried it on myself. I was a bit underwhelmed at first. I thought it would be more flowery, more soapy, more powdery, as it was on my mother. I found it to be a bit harsh on opening, but many fragrances containing aldehydes are. I could detect some florals, but not as much rose as I thought there would be. Throughout the next hour and a half, that "soapy" quality that I love came and went, and came and went again. I could detect the aldehydes, rose, and carnation, and a bit of powder. I find this fragrance to be so light, at times I thought it disappeard altogether, but then it returned, soft and subtle. At drydown, I find it to be very subtle, I can still smell the carnation even though its supposed to be a top note. An interesting journey. I love the middle phase the best.

AngieGCarp
AngieGCarp

Smells like my childhood...my Mom always wore Lutece. I loved Ombre Original the SECOND I sprayed it. No headache. Soft powder and minimal rose smell....more powdery sweet.

The Swedish girl
The Swedish girl

The opening of this perfume almost scared the hell out of me - ALDEHYDS! And lots of them. Oh, my head hurts just thinking about sharp acetonic aldehyds. And they were mixed with a strangely sharp peach.

BUT - after a little short while I got the smell everyone raves about, the smell that I`m CONSTANTLY hunting for! Powderheaven!

Soap, lipticks, loose powders, body lotions, Dove, Nivea, musk, vanilla... The famous "inside of an old makeup bag" - smell that is almost impossible to find these days. Ohh, gorgeous, vintage, soft, old fashioned scent...

It`s almost gourmand with a salty feel too.
Not to flowery, and I`m very scared of florals...

The art deco, dusty pink bottle is soooo pretty and shabby chic looking, fits my home decor perfectly. The price is ok too, about the same price as any celeb-scent.

A little warning though - what ever you do - don`t stick your nose to close to the scent though, then you will get a vinyl/plastic smell. But that smell doesn`t show up in the "sillage cloud" you leave.

A blindbuy that turned out great. Similar to Lutece, Love`s baby soft and Cashmere Mist.

The swedish girl recommends this! :-D

rosecat
rosecat

I'm am on the fence with this one. I love the initial powdery, rose, like old fashioned powder makep, lipstick etc.. It's warm, deep and a little dark yet sweet on me. I love the initial smell! But then the dry down settles it changes into something like a dusty and old sweaty type of smell, too much of the Aldehydes & weird powder... :( why it turns into this I don't know?. If only it could stay in the first stage & not change. I do not find this at all similar to lipstick Rose or Drole de Rose.

angel6
angel6

This was a blind buy many years ago, and I did not like it at all,extremely powdery and cloying, I could not finish the bottle.

cecfor
cecfor

I am not crazy about this one but I like it.
Got a sample of this a long time ago when I bought ombre d' or. I ended up using the sample and not ombre d' or. Recently I bought a bottle without trying it again. Well, it's a bit dominating and hairspraylike at the beginning. Maybe it's the aldehyde? It settles and gets softer, and then I find it likeable and different. The drydown is so nice and soft and I love it. Its not an everyday scent for me. I use it when I am in the mood for it. Wintertime best I think.

flashingwhitelights
flashingwhitelights

I remember spraying this on card a few years ago and not getting a huge first impression. I kept the card in my handbag and a few hours later opened my bag to smell a delicious, enticing mix of rose, powder and musk.

On my skin it's nice but the dry down is too-woody. For this reason, I probably wouldn't purchase this with my own money.

PrincessAzurea
PrincessAzurea

I absolutely love this fragrance. Very rich rose and light smooth musk - gorgeous.

Sissi
Sissi

Picturing pure white Snow falling on rich Velvet cloth
of Crimson, The Aldehyde Opening of Ombre Rose Conjuring
The Scent of Dry Winter Air Wet Rosewood adds a Tinge of
Cold Rose the drydown Consists of a note of snow covered
ceder steeps though the Air giving a Green Cypress freshness Brisk and awakening Iris Gives Ombre an Old
Soul frozen in time it's Powdery Nuance Conjours Images
of Old Long lost Love letters delicately Decaying through Time like a wing of a Moth or Dark violet petals
in Old Leather bounded Books falling on the lacquered
Wooded Floor in the vast but Intimate Library den in a
large Victorian Home on the outskirts of a Wintry
New England Town.

Musk Opens the drydown With a Subtlety not Overpowering or Cloyish Cinnamon makes it's
presence known but doesn't Dominates like almost
all Cinnamon notes does, Lily note has to be the
shyest in Ombre it generaly Hides behind the others
Like Camouflage, Sweet Heliotrope, And Vanilla
Finishes Ombre Rose L'Original with a Powdery Ending.

sheridanellis
sheridanellis

This is available on Overstock.com for a song! :) FYI...

artsyrn
artsyrn

I get a rose impression that is warm,powdery,enveloping, honeyed, breezy, woody, sweet and with the gentlest aldehyde. I wore this and Tea Rose back in the late 80's and into the 90's, all the time. I have this again in my collection and find I enjoy it just as much! Only now that I have transitioned into a serious 'perfumista', and thus have acquired a zillion frags to choose from, this has become an occasional fling for me.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

Im sure that I get a fair whack of Iris in this, which gives the rose an angle of dryness rather than dewiness. Mixed with the definate 'powder' note, it really does smell like a nice expensive rose soap - nothing earth shattering, not really sexy but nostalgic in a childhood way. I think the spring will wake this little number up and I'll reach for it when I fancy wearing a dress or a pretty blouse. Not really 'me' day to day but nice for the money if you love rose.

Pari88
Pari88

an enchanting very strong powdery scent. it makes me feel so light and pretty! Very boudoir vintage marie antoinette feeling with this, and very similar to jean paul gautier classic. a powdery rose and just that! definitely worth having in your collection. it smells like johnson baby powder if you were to mix in rose oil, but it is not that simple. theres something else that i cant put my finger on that just makes this so mysterious and enchanting...i love it! i cant stop smelling it honestly, so it must be good!

TRUFFLES!!!
you have perfectly pinpointed the fragrance I had been looking for all that time in Ombre Rose! That delectable note of honey which to my humble nose makes the dusty rose almost edible: Intimate Musk it was!!!! I like Ombre Rose so very much when in a calm and happy mood. One of those rare fragrances I wear to please myself mainly: though people do enjoy it's sweet, nostalgic, tender and baby powder fresh beauty!

icekat
icekat

I wear this fragrance when I am in the mood for powdery roses. It does not happen often but once in a while I have an overwhelming desire to be transported back in time to an era of elegance and good taste where I can wear long fancy dresses and take a stroll in a garden with a lace parasol. This is not a modern rose but I find that my rose collection will not be complete without this charmingly old-fashioned powdery rose. It represents the lovely side of a rose that is utterly feminine, delicate, traditional and modest.

Ombre Rose has rather interesting opening. There is a lot going on and I love how rich it is. The scent is intensely floral. I can smell the roses and geranium mixed with light aldehydes and woody notes. The rose is a bit dusty and powdery right away. As the time progresses, the scent becomes more powdery but the powder is layered nicely on the woody notes. There is also slight sweetness from the honey. There are other flowers in the bouquet such as ylang-ylang but the rose is indeed the queen in this fragrance.
There is a slight soapiness in the heart notes but I think it fits the fragrance really well. In the dry down, the scent is still powdery but the vanilla and honey notes become more noticeable. The gentle musk is also there but it is definitely not a musk bomb on my skin. The sillage and longevity are excellent.

Overall score is 7.5/10. The scent is very pretty, comforting and charming. This is a powdery rose at its best.

truffles

I have recently acquired a gorgeous little mini bottle of this. I think it might be vintage.
It was with a couple of other minis when it was sent to me and a bit must have leaked as the smell was so STRONG over everything - finding the smell all over the place - for ages!
Someone mentioned musk in the reviews below, I have yet to try this on my skin, bit scared by the strength to be honest, but at the moment it brings to mind a perfume I remember from the 80s called Intimate Musk, I think it was Revlon and it's not on the database here..

LADYJSN
LADYJSN

Ombre Rose!What to say..I first smelled it on a friend of mine 20 years ago, and I remember it until now.She told me the name of the parfume she bought in Paris, and the author Jean Charles Brot... I never found that parfume, so I am now happy to find it on Fragantica and to read about it so that I can confirm my opinion :This parfume is apsolutely fantastic!
I remembe smell musk and roses and something powdery sweet maybe sandalwood.It is sexy and romantic and somehow different from all other, it is at the same time selfsufficient and without any pretences to be some big parfume, but at the same time, it is original, intriquing, and has beautiful bottle that makes you feel as a real oriental princess wearing veils in her garden and smiling in the morning sunchine. I am really supprised that to some people this is "old lady, old fashioned" etc. It is sexy in a deep down basis, which is not found in many of the parfumes.And it is strong and lasts long.
One day, I will have this parfume.I cant wait this day!

waterrose
waterrose

I am in love with this, however I can't find it anywhere to buy. Is there any reachable frag similar to this powdery masterpiece. Or can you please suggest any other frag with dominant powdery notes...

pablOSO
pablOSO

I just added this one to my wardrobe...and yes i am a guy..to me this one is related to BLV by bulgari , and to Britt by burberry..powdery scents that work well in both sexes IMHO . this is like a more powdery britt ..

derkargy
derkargy

This is a really ethereal perfume,but after an hour it has been transfered to an old-fashioned(lady like)scent.

exciter76
exciter76

This was my mother’s signature day scent back in the day. She wore it for years then one day she just stopped. When I was in my late teens I ran across my mom’s old bottle. It was comforting but I could not bring myself to wear it since it was HER fragrance, not mine. Whenever I felt life was uncertain I took a sniff for a quick pick-me-up. Somewhere in my college years I lost that bottle and had regretted it.

I remembered it being a warm, comforting scent but I could not remember it entirely. I recently bought a large bottle on eBay, trying hard to remember what it was about it that I simply could not let it go. The scent totally jogged my memory and they came flooding back. Every time I take a whiff I am transported back into time, being embraced and assured everything would be alright. Man, it was great being seven years old!

Without the long-winded memories this is still a comforting and safe scent. It is baby powder and honeyed roses with a faintly spicy drydown. It is not complex nor is it altogether original. It is tender and warm, succoring its wearer through chaotic times with its benevolent-scented innocence (if benevolence had its own scent, just imagine). It’s no doubt why a young mother would wear this. Ombre Rose is the kind of scent one would wear when visiting a friend who is blue. You cannot help but feel as if everything will be alright, like a hug in a gorgeous flacon.

rosembloom

NOW, HERE IS SOME SERIOUS VINTAGE ' PARFUM DE BOUDOIR ' AS I AFFECTIONATELY LIKE TO CALL IT: SEDUCTIVE IN AN UNDERSTATED POWDERY WAY... YET, MOUTHWATERING FOR SOME REASON (NOT ONLY I FOAM, MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY DO TOO!) I STRONGLY DETECT THE ALDEHYDES WHICH REMINDS ME OF THE POWDERY FLORAL SCENT OF MY BELOVED CHANEL NO 5 WHEN I FIRST SPRITZ IT ON. AS IT'S NAME SUGGESTS, IT LINGERS SOFTLY LIKE A PINK SHADOW, SOFTLY ENTRANCING . ROSEWOOD CONTRASTS NICELY WITH THE PEACH NOTES, MAKING THEM SPARKLY WHILE THE TONKA CRISTALS ADD THIS WHITE CHOCOLATE NOTE IS SO ENJOY. HERE COMES GOURMAND BLISS! . BEING A LOVER OF YLANG-YLANG, I TREASURE THE DRYDOWN WHICH LASTS AND LASTS, ENVELOPING ME IN WARM HONEY, SUGARY VANILLA AND FRESHLY GRINDED CINNAMON. FROM FLORAL TO GOURMAND, IN THIS ONE, YOU WILL FIND IT ALL! I JUST MIGHT CHOSE IT AS MY SIGNATURE FALL PERFUME THOUGH I USED TO LOVE IT FOR SUMMER. TIMES DO CHANGE! TASTES EVOLVE TOO I GATHER! I HAVE THE EDP AND COLOGNE VERSION. SINCE IT IS A POTENT POTION, USE SPARINGLY OR LAYER COLOGNE . HAVE A FRAGRANT DAY!

taboo2287
taboo2287

oh memories, mommy's signature scent, reminds me of my childhood in the old mansion where i grew up i used to sneak into my mother bedroom and discover her huge closet... her fur her silk scarves her whole bedroom smelled like Ombre Rose, i grew up and the years went by and i always wanted to know what that smell was and suddenly and old perfumer in sydney told me about it but he did not have it so i ordered it immediately from london i swear the moment i sniffed the bottle i teared :( so many old memories of my gorgeous mom, this scent is classy, feminine and powdery i guess that's how rich classy women smells like (again mother image) or maybe it's just me!

romrom
romrom

such a pritty girly scent,you can really smell the sweet rose and musk in this one. I had this so many years ago and loved it.

olga1780

I really enjoy this retro rose....so much different from today's rose fragrances. Very ladylike and sophisticated. Extremely long lasting and with a great sillage. It's subtleness can be misleading, so don't overdo it.

olga1780

My first impression is it is extremely similar to Rose Noir but without the chemical overload...enjoying it so far. Will write more later.

milena
milena

A lovely light sweet rose scent with a powdery finish. To me this is a beautiful fragrance I love it.

atiet97
atiet97

No need to cost a fortune to own this. Just mix few ounces of talcum powder with drops of baby oil from Johnson & Johnson. Well, there you have it... a "do it yourself" Ombre Rose!!

Jellybean
Jellybean

I recently purchased this perfume and I love it. I was looking for something vintage, powdery make up scent. I detect a slight rose scent usually at the beginning and then it's powdery all the way thru.

seledin
seledin

This is not an old lady perfume, this is a VERY old lady perfume! It is strong, stifling and nauseating. I can't smell roses at all :(

Although I liked the scent, I gave my bottle away, because after the minute it was sprayed, the scent was already gone. Why bother to put on a perfume that has absolutely no lasting power?

tenderhearted
tenderhearted

This is so haunting and beautiful to me. It smells of some kind of echo,takes my soul back to my past life.

It is rosewood I feel right away,and the bubbles of those precious aldehydes the bubbles are floating to my smile. I can spell spicy red rose geranium,and the peach is very slight for me.

I feel it in my bones,cannot keep my face from burying deep into my own arm while I am wearing this.

It is very potent and powerful to me,and so very bold those woods and rose geraniums. I love so much all stages of this glorious scent,but I do understand a change is good sometimes,and the change smells GORGEOUS here.

All of a sudden, I close my eyes,bury my nose in my arm again like a mad woman,but I do NOT care!

Here is the real and true sweet, rich rich sweetness.Here is a powder,a soft rose,here rolls in like emotion,the sweetest vanilla,and softly spicy cinnamon. I am enraptured!

I am amazed that there is a synthetic honey in mine,because I could swear this is real true bee pollen and honey inside of a flower!

I hope not to offend,but I have a scent replica of this beauty. I cannot afford the price of the original one. But bless the nose behind this precious scent. I believe the nose would be Jean-Charles Brosseau,am I correct? ** Oh and mine has a synthetic vegan musk.

thobbit
thobbit

One of my favorite oriental floral's. This is my go to fragrance when my pain level is over a 7 when my rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia are kicking my butt and I desperately need a warm hug. After a couple of sprays and managing my pain is much easier.

Lady Love
Lady Love

At the beginning seems that it is very boring and lineal, but the drydown is very nice and tender.

Poor sillage and good lasting power.. Ombre rose and Fidji are the same style but of course Ombre rose is a more light floral rendition, very inoffensive compared to Fidji.

ichigogirl
ichigogirl

On me: soap, powder, roses, vanilla, musk, and something that's very old-lady-like. Ylang-ylang + Lily of the Valley?

All in a sweet, lovely blend that fascinates me! How can I like a perfume that smells so OLD so much?

I guess I'm an old lady at heart.

With Ombre Rose it's very important not to use too much at a time. I had tried it before, liked it and consequently bought it (on sale) along with a couple more "modern" scents, went home, tried them all on. I sprayed about the same amount of every perfume, not loads, and was surprised to find that the Ombre Rose that I had liked so much before smelled really nasty! Like chemicals, sharp.

It was a big relief the next time I wore it, and only sprayed a little. Once again it was in the shape of a lovely powdery rose, a very sophisticated scent. Now I've just got to find the right balance, not too much, not too little...

Animato
Animato

I dont like Ylang ylang, Iris,too much musk, Aldrahydes or Honey in perfyme.
Dont!
I just dont get it. This smells synthetic, it is powdery and quite sharp in the drydown. I should hate it.

But I find it to be absolutely gorgeous.

ReinaT
ReinaT

I actually found a small bottle of this at a local antique store. There was no label on it and I felt sure it was a vintage scent that was no longer made. I prayed, did lots of internet searching trying to compare the bottle to other bottles, and yreka! found it on ebay! To my delight, this highly feminine fragrance is still in production today! When I first smelled it, I was reminded of an Asia princess surrounded by rare oriental flowers. Right off, I can not smell the rose in it, that is part of the dry down experience. My teenager tells me that she thinks it smells like an old lady! And there is something nostaglic about it, perhaps the softness. For me, it actually smells best when I first apply it, it has a buttery soft floral appeal, then after awhile it softens down to a powdery rose. It is lovely, highly feminine and if you like Tresor or 1881, you may like this one, I personally like it better! Very romantic, soft, sensuous. The bottle is nice, too, like an early oriental Lalique. I love it and can definitely see this perfume as part of my permanent fragrance wardrobe. Good new is that it is not too expensive.

geegee
geegee

Stunning.

Ive never really appreciated a floral fragrance before but oh boy does this do it for me. My body chemistry loves it.

On me its a deep musky powdery rose with great lasting power. When in a girly, alluring romantic mood i will spray this in my hair & all over my body, don a silk negligee & sprawl in bed with a glass of pink fizz.

If you could bottle the art deco period, this is how it would smell.

This juice gives imagery of a damsel in distress but in reality its a wanton woman knowing EXACTLY what she wants...& knows how to get it too.

For a floral its damn HOT.

The word 'vintage' is thrown around so much today that I find myself wondering what it is supposed to mean. How can a brand new launch be "vintage", pray tell???? I am confident, however, that Jean-Charles Brosseau OMBRE ROSE deserves to be called vintage--if anything does!

Maybe the light aldehyde/dusty rose feeling that this perfume provides should really be described as "retro". I don't know. But I do know that I like it a lot, against expectations. This composition came out in 1981, just before the avalanche of '80s megaphonic fumes. OMBRE ROSE does have excellent longevity, but only medium sillage, and there's really no danger of poisonous overload here. I was sure that I smelled a touch of oakmoss, but it's not listed in the notes--although nearly everything else is!

I have seen OMBRE ROSE many times at my favorite online emporia, but I always hesitated to take the plunge for a blind buy. Happily, I happened upon a couple of minis from this house. The second one, OMBRE ROSE FRAICHE, appears to have a touch of fruit added in, and seems slightly less dusty.

I recommend both OMBRE ROSE and OMBRE ROSE FRAICHE for gals with nostalgic yearnings for the past. I also think that it might work for some guys, but only bona fide perfumistas!

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

The aldehyde-peach opening is very brief. I wish it lasted more than a few minutes, because I feel that it makes the composition sparkle. As it dries down, Ombre Rose reminds me of a modernized (circa 1960's) version of Molinard's Habanita. I get soft, warm, powdery rose and suede notes. I can feel the effects of the honey, but cannot specifically smell it, and this is not the dense honey note I am familiar with. It's more of a powdered honey.

All in all, I really enjoy this scent. I think it's comforting and easy to wear. I tested the EDT and it has fantastic longevity.

It conjures up images of what I used to think professional ballerinas should smell like, when I was a girl in ballet class. There is the feeling of leather ballet slippers and toe shoes being tapped in the powdery rosin box, and somewhere one girl's skin has been dabbed with a drop of her mother's rose perfume.

cisco
cisco

I have a small amount of vintage with a clear glass stopper. It is a beautiful fragrance that is a heady floral without being too sweet. It is well blended and, to me, the rose does not stand out. That is fine with me because my Joy satifies my rose desire.

Just received new EDT and it is great. It smells wonderful and stays with me for hours.

mery09
mery09

I dont find any rose in this perfume,very dissapointed.To me smells like old ladies perfume,but the staying power is good.I bought this from ebay without knowing how it smells,my luck is that I have a small bottle of 30 ml.I will not buy this again.

La MDH
La MDH

This is my perfume. I could wear it day and night. It lifts my spirit. My husband loves it.

Migotka
Migotka

I have to say I actually quite like it.
Ombre Rose is a very classy fragrance, I dont know why, but it makes me thing of grand balls, toasts of champagne, satin dresses, quiet whispers, swinging 30's.

It is definitely not 'modern', but it does not smell 'old'. Kind of like a journey through time, but you do not get to participate in what is going on, but only get a glimpse of what happens.

There definitely is alhedydes, rose, cinnamon, yalng ylang, woods. On me they create a core to which the other notes stick. I definitely see in on a girl that likes vintage fashion, elegance, maturity and has a lot of charm to bring out the fragrance;s best qualities.

My only problem with it is that it remains so close to the skin I can not smell it unless I touch my nose to my wrist, but who knows, maybe people around me can detect it...

Anna_gr
Anna_gr

I personally don't think this is an "old lady" perfume. I really like it, and wearing it to work yesterday got many compliments from several young women.
On me it's musky and I get a very faint rose scent, but it's mostly musk and baby powder. I think it's nice and sophisticated, very gentle and not overpowering.

belletresor
belletresor

Wore this in the late 80's-90's. As I recall, too baby-powderish and old-fashioned rose smelling to appeal to me now.

falovalo
falovalo

This is very comparable to Kenzo's Flower. It's very reminiscent of baby powder. It is very soft and would appeal to those who like innocent, ladylike fragrances.

guest_eclipse of the moon
guest_eclipse of the moon

The sharp and fresh, then mellowing down to a talcum powder and classic florals (roses). I found this at a perfume boutique, but its way too granny smelling..

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

It's been said before, and this scent is no different for me:

Ombre Rose is a soapy powdery old-fashioned sweet rose scent. I am not a vintage enthusiast, but I can appreciate a good fragrance whether ancient, vintage or modern. This absolutely does not smell at place on my skin (aldehydes, powder, soap), but I could imagine this smelling wonderful on a lot of people-people who adore Chanel N. 5 (including my grandma), vintage enthusiasts, smart and serious young women, and....others too.

This is truly the shadow of a rose- a rose impression or a dry rose, rather than the fresh light wet rose that I go crazy for.

allexa27
allexa27

very powdery,soapy,rosy and nice fragrance.It reminds me of baby powder.It gives me some kind of nostalgic feeling.

I was obsessed with this in grade 6 (my friend's mom had it)! If I remember correctly, it's a very strong scent that has a clinging aroma that's almost like a bath oil. I wouldn't wear it now, but it brings back fun memories.

EternalSunshine7
EternalSunshine7

Hmmm...I've been considering trying this. At first I saw a lot of good reviews...but on this website...not so good. ??? Now I'm not sure what to do. I live in an area that does not have a lot of samples to smell, so I would probably have to order it online. Now I'm re-thinking ordering it. I wish I could find it somehwere so that I could smell it for myself. Grrrr....

newgabe
newgabe

Make sure you sniff this one before buying- I bought it based on positive reviews and have been very disappointed. It's possible that the bottle I bought is off- if so, this scent does not age nicely! I find no rose/peach/wood etc in it at all.. more a rubbery chemical (similar to Bulgari Black, which I actually love!) but overloaded with intense powder that is like mouldy decomposition, not like first blush of peach, or mysterious shadows like Cabochard. Having said that, once I scrubbed it off there was a faint sensation of rose, but not worth paying for!
I will be taking this back for a refund, and if they don't give me money back, I'll leave the bottle there as a tester to warn off others.

katyas
katyas

I tested this one in the store whilst buying myself a birthday present, and was glad I had the opportunity, because this scent was WAY too "powdery" for me - I don't know how else to describe it. It smelled like the scent was comprised of powdered ... something ... that was lightly scented with roses. I didn't care for it. It was at that same time I tested the Rose Bvlgari and found it superior (on me, at least). I would recommend testing it first to make sure it reacts well on your skin first.

jillsy
jillsy

A nice rose, borderline too aldehydic for my nose.

sjanira
sjanira

My dad bought this for my mom a long time ago. I remember when she used to wear it, the nice rose sweet smell she used to leave behind. Recently I saw this on ebay and bought it. Now when I use it I remember back when I was a little girl watching my mother getting ready to head out and the sweet rose smell in the air.

Ombre Rose L'Original by Jean Charles Brosseau 3.98 out of 5 based on 471 ratings and 107 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Jean Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose L'Original fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Jean Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose L'Original, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Ombre Rose L'Original by Jean Charles Brosseau. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Ombre Rose L'Original by Jean Charles Brosseau represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.