Designers » I-K » Chypre « Groups

Coriandre Jean Couturier for women

Coriandre Jean Couturier for women
dislike

Coriandre Jean Couturier for women Pictures Coriandre Jean Couturier for women Pictures

Coriandre by Jean Couturier is a Chypre fragrance for women. Coriandre was launched in 1973. The nose behind this fragrance is Jacqueline Couturier. Top notes are aldehydes, coriander, orange blossom, angelica and bergamot; middle notes are violet root, lily, jasmine, rose, geranium, iris and ylang-ylang; base notes are sandalwood, patchouli, musk, civet, oakmoss and vetiver.

Aldehydes Coriander Orange Blossom Angelica Bergamot

Lune

Coriandre Fragrance Reviews

laantjebanaantje
laantjebanaantje

This review is for a new formulation of the EdT.
I bought Coriandre blind (first blind buy in years) and I am really happy with it. It is a lovely bright and crisp chypre. To my nose it is easily unisex and even quite masculin.
It opens with green, soapy aldehydes and some angelica instead of the bergamot of a typical chypre. I detect lily and a dark jasmine as well. There is a gorgeous sweet, but sharp metallic geranium - rose combination in the heart and the base is mainly oakmoss, vetiver and musk, with a hint of civet, which plays through the entire perfume. Coriander is another note that is detectable throughout the composition, giving the fragrance a bitter spicy, soapy feel. These are not all the notes of course, but the ones that, to my nose, stand out of the blend. The rest is blended in a typical chypre swirl of notes, akin to light filtering through the trees.
Coriandre has been likened to Y, but I think it is not as transparant and feminin as Y. Where Y is a young English forest in spring with carpets of hyacinths on the forest floor and little undergrowth, so one can see through the trees, Coriandre is an ancient Scandinavian pine forest in the same season, but the trees are denser, and instead of fairies, little trolls play on the forest floor.
Coriandre is beautiful, light and happy, but somehow dark and haunting at the same time.
I am tempted to say: a gem for its price. But that wouldn't do it justice. It's a gem. For any price. Great perfume!

Angel in the South
Angel in the South

A blind buy for me due to many positive reviews. I am really loving the beautiful smell coming from my wrist right now. So different from many on sale today. I did not buy any perfumes in the 80`s so I missed out on this one. I am very happy about that as my taste have matured along with my years. I am sure that I would never have appreciated it then. Soft, mossy, green, and just so me. I am so happy to have this in my perfume wardrobe now.

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

Coriander, along with airy musk and oakmoss, comprise my strongest impressions of this timeless beauty. In other words - she is well named, Coriandre!

There is something so ultimately calming and comforting in the aromatic nature of such a classic. I find she performs best when the weather is neither terribly hot or humid. Ideal for three seasons of the year, this cannot help but remind me of what a chic woman would be wearing in the generally moderate climate of France . Simultaneously assuring and stylish, there is something utterly suitable about this fragrance for a day in the city. Vive la Coriandre!

jennifer60656
jennifer60656

I remember that Turin & Sanchez gave Coriandre 1 star. I don't know what their (I think it was Turin's) problem was with this fragrance. I know I'd rather listen to the wonderful ladies and gentlemen on fragrantica any day of the week compared to those two "'fume snobs!" Coriandre is a lovely, classy, sophisticated chypre in the best tradition of 1970s chypres but it's not dated, it could be considered "modern" no matter what the year is. It may be inexpensive but it sure isn't "cheap" at all. It's spicy but not heavy spicy. Great for warmer weather and works for work or play. Makes me feel very glamorous without trying. It will seem to vanish for a while and then you get a lovely surprising burst and it does that throughout the entire wearing. Great scent!

cloyd42
cloyd42

This is one of the glorious big girl perfumes of the 80's; a scent that squares your shoulders, reaches for the spiky heels and suggests the red lipstick rather than the work-appropriate pink. You kids may not believe this but there was a time when a woman could be a sex goddess without having her underwear hanging out and this was the kind of scent that made you feel that way.
Exuberant aldehydes, sharp green herbs and that geranium note give you a split second of stinging eyes when you first apply it. After that it grows into a classic chypre with just enough civet to give it a nice dirty girl feel. If you're not familiar with it, apply with a light hand and experiment until you figure it out. In any case, I obviously love this stuff.
Sillage: as big as 80's hair
Longevity: 6 hours and counting
Fabulosity: The Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Price to Value ratio: excellent

drouhin
drouhin

(Review is of a vintage mini -- green cap, narrow not cube-shaped bottle -- unlabeled as to concentration, but I think it's pure parfum.)

Weirdest perfume ever as well as one of my greatest perfume loves ever.

Who would have thought of combining oakmoss, cilantro, civet and angelica? Thankfully, Jacqueline Couturier did, and she made these notes work together with extraordinary and almost unbelievable grace. Weirder still, this mishmash of unlikely notes works beautifully well in hot weather and is my perfume of choice when I need to feel both elegant and cool on a hot summer day.

I'm pleased I first encountered Coriandre in the 70's when it was a widely-worn fragrance because I doubt I ever would have tried it unsmelled with such an odd note list alone to go on. Probably most likely to be appreciated by those who already enjoy dry, 20th century style green and woody chypres along the lines of Niki de Saint Phalle.

Alexir101
Alexir101

Got it because of fabulous reviews. Reminds me of Miss Dior Original, especially on the drydown. This is a wonderful fragrance. Enoying very much. Thank you Frangrantica for bringing wonderful reviews. Best blind buy ever. Love it.

migueldematos
migueldematos

I love Coriandre and to my it is my go-to summer fragrance. Today I discovered that it goes woderfully if layered with Chanel nº5

FaunAromatic
FaunAromatic

Coriandre was my first perfume love. My mother had a bottle of the parfum when I was about thirteen, and after I smelled it, I asked for a bottle for Christmas. I wore it proudly as a young teen, and it's been in my perfume wardrobe ever since. A sophisticated and deliciously dry herbal scent, I love its sharp, bracing opening, softened drydown, and tenacious sillage. It was my ecstatic introduction to oakmoss, and few scents do oakmoss better.
My advice would be to get the vintage parfum if you can, not because the EDT is not also charming, but because of the extra punch, complexity, and unexpected softness.

Yohji
Yohji

Coriandre is amazing, characterictic oakmossy-rose-geranium fragrance, complex and vintagy, its very much in tune with Soir de Lune Sisley but I would never disrespect it by calling Coriandre the “cheaper dupe” of de Lune plus its not loaded with honey for better or for worser.
My little cube is extrait perfume so its stronger than usual EDP or EDT versions, but when I Am in mood for it – its olfactory heaven – I can smell waves of civet, spiciness here and there, the way how aldehydes and angelica behave in it remind me long lost love Ellipse of Jacques Fath, - they give the vision/feeling of air crystalness so you do react on notes by all senses, differentiating upper space and the dry grassy earth you walking on.
I think each version – EDP, EDT or extrait are VERY much different so would be nice if people will mention in their review which one they describing. Also similarities with Agent are probably coming from EDT.

Coriandre is the only fragrance made by Jacqueline Couturier (wife of Jean Couturier) and its a special, classy, mysterious and complicated one. Absolutely the one of a kind and must have.

I acquired a small amount of the vintage EdT but haven't tried any others. I don't find anything harsh about it but there's a kind of "vertical" quality to it, as well as a sort of dry juiciness (geranium in particular seems to have this quality for me). Overall, it's more astringent than resinous. I wish the base notes were stronger and the rest were a bit weaker. After 2-3 hours this largely dissipates but for that time it may be a bit too busy for me. I've got to wear vintage O de Lancome again soon, and decide if I should look for a large bottle of this one. It's certainly very good, but I'm not sure I "need" it. I was hoping for more of a green/woody/resinous base here, and the sandalwood note seems really good, but as I said, I wish this element was stronger.

Jerrythecat
Jerrythecat

Definitely worth having this little unknown gem into your perfume collection. First because you cannot find it in the shops, and no one really wears or knows it, so you can be sure that wherever you are you will feel unique among the Diesels, DKNYs Pradas and Armani's that all smell the same and cheap. Then I read that 119 essences compose Coriandre and the versatility of the jus makes the scent different each time you wear it as it works with your body chemistry: green, summery, flowery, fresh, woody, even salty a bit like Kenzo pour Homme. It smells of class, elegance, refinement and personality. Not for anyone below 35-40 years old.
Why was Coriandre marketed for ladies? This is definitely a unisex perfume and really avant garde for the early 70's.
Coriandre is definitely a secret not worth sharing, as it must stay well hidden by those who love it. And I feel love coming on!

Pooja37
Pooja37

Comfort and warmth is what Coriandre brings to me along with (how can I describe it..) a certain softness.

This perfume embraces me and wraps around me as no other aroma out there. No wonder that this is what I reach for when I need some comfort and shielding from the chaos of this world. A beautiful fragrance born the same year I was - 1973... a karmic connect perhaps?

I read reviews that said it starts of with a harsh blast of spicy coriander... I cannot agree there as I have not had that experience at all with Coriandre. Somehow I get distinct wafts of rose, orange blossom and jasmine along with earthiness perhaps oakmoss, a beautiful and fragrant combination which works magic with my skin's chemistry... like a walk through the woods dotted with a profusion of wildflowers.

From beginning to end all I experience is softness and warmth, like someone whispering in your ear as they wrap their arms around you 'you are safe, you are loved.'

shamsiruhe
shamsiruhe

amazingly beautiful. lasts on my skin for under ten minutes. what an effin bummer.

jht4060
jht4060

Jean Couturier Coriandre is as much an Oriental as a chypre, comfortably straddling the tension between bitter and sweet. The top and middle has replaced the traditional chypre bergamot/fruit note with herbal coriander, which gives it a rather distinctive smell for the first few hours, a fresh warm soapy herbal tone much like coriander seed. The coriander is blended with a rather subtle waxy aldehyde note and a rosy floral that are more familiar in a chypre. These eventually give way to a base that is only part chypre as well - the traditional oak moss dominated (dark algal bitter) base is less emphatic and there is lots of patchouli and musk in there and maybe some vanilla not listed.

A very distinctive and well balanced work of olfactory art. It is also quite potent and inexpensive. Dump your Britney Spears (tacky) and Paris Hilton (vapid) and try something interesting for the same price!

PS vartenouche - it does not appear to be discontinued to me - still listed on the Jean Couturier web page and still sold at regular prices on line.

vartenouche
vartenouche

I started wearing this fragrance in college in the 80's. I wish I could remember how I discovered it. I went through a bottle (or two), and also had a refillable travel atomizer which was a glass spray bottle inside a metal tube printed with the malachite pattern. I still have that, in fact, but it's empty except for some sweet-smelling dried residue of the perfume.

I loved Coriandre, and I suppose I considered it my signature fragrance back then. One time I was home for the holidays, and my brother, who lived in another state, was there as well, with his then girlfriend. She smelled Coriandre on me and exclaimed, "That's my signature scent! You can't wear that!" I assured her that I had been wearing it for some time, and could and would continue to wear it. She wasn't too happy about it, as she considered herself very creative, sophisticated, and unique. I suppose I thought of myself in those ways, and I think Coriandre suits that temperament.

It's not for everyone. It has many contradictions, being simultaneously clean and dirty, sharp and soft, floral and musky, dark and light. I still love it. I realize it's been reformulated, so isn't quite the same, and is now, sadly, discontinued. I picked up a couple of bottles at Marshall's, and some soap and lotion (too strong!) at a small perfume shop. I have yet to try the vintage parfum, but will keep looking. Nothing will ever take this perfume's place. A brilliant composition. (With just one star from Luca Turin. B*tch, please.)

SolangeN
SolangeN

Smells like lemon and pelargonium geranium leaf (the red, white, pink or coral bedding and balcony plant). Has a distinct vegetal "plant" note that lasts all the way through to the drydown.

stormyla
stormyla

This has been a summer of getting reacquainted with many old green loves which led me to experience the joy of Coriandre for the first time in 40 years. I still remember the day when three of us girls skipped out at lunch hour to buy our precious bottles in the first week of Coriandre's launch. The beautiful dark green packaging drew me then as it does today.

Coriandre is like the bold and brash, unbelievably beautiful cousin to the more delicate and subtle "Y' of YSL. Like the prior reviewer, I also don't get any aldehydes. I love the bracing greenness that flavors all of the lovely florals,which I do perceive,one after another.

The Oakmoss, Civet, Patchouli, Bergamot and sandalwood bring a crisp and endlessly interesting aura to this scent. I find Coriandre to be both invigorating as well as comforting. The scent is mildly spicy, but I don't detect a strong presence of coriander. This scent feels wonderfully feminine to me, but I definitely think a man could wear it.

The musky,woody aromatic nature of this fragrance is exceptional. My bottle is vintage parfum,which is first generation of this divine fragrance. The sillage is great,about 3 feet and the longevity is greater than 15 hours.

Shasta, I too experienced a strong savory smell when first opening the bottle. I let the bottle sit opened for about 2 hours before applying the perfume and by that time, that funkiness disappeared. I've had similar experiences before with older bottles, particularly with fragrances heavy on aldehydes.

Lovers of Coriandre should try a bottle of the vintage parfum. There are a number of them for sale on Ebay very inexpensively. The parfum has a lot more depth than the other concentrations. I'm thrilled to have this gem back in my collection after so many years!

Atreyu_Crimmins
Atreyu_Crimmins

I fear I might be running a fever of biblical proportions because I'm not smelling aldehydes here at all, and appear to be the only Fragrantican who can't sniff the buggers out. NURSE!

This is a lush creation. But I’m not surprised by some of the more negative reviews; this is a unique scent and ‘unique’ is not always good, even amongst the more discerning perfumistas.

I really like it, however. To me Coriandre is suggestive of a stroll through a dark and ancient forest with enchanted fey, omnivorous orchids and magic mushrooms. Must be the oakmoss.

Or my fever...

shasta
shasta

I absolutely hate this. So much that I am embarrassed for family and friends to see the bottle, much less smell it. I hate fruity florals so judging by the description and the number of loves and likes, I thought this was right up my alley. The top note, the initial blast has a very savory odor. Very reminiscent of soy sauce. If you only spray once, it will dissipate and then you are left with the odor that everyone falls in love with. If you are a fool, like I was (after convincing myself that I could do this) and spray yourself three times, you will regret it. It was a hot day, 91 degrees to be exact. There I was, stinking to high hell, the top note would not die down and I was smelling like some kind of back woods home remedy oily medicinal mess. It was not feminine and I was feeling so uncomfortable. Not sexy at all. What is the point in wearing this? To give a fair review, because it is no one's fault that I tried to bathe in this stuff, I will do a spray and walk through later on and update.

update.... I like it. I am very cautious with it, a bit gun shy, but I like it. I will probably love it when I get the nerve to give myself a full blast of it and wear it out. right now I am taking baby steps and wearing it on my wrist around the house. Probably waiting for the temperature to cool down. Several fragranticans have suggested spraying directly to your skin otherwise your clothes will retain the top notes and it seems to work.

susannea
susannea

Just received today. I bought this based on the reviews I've read here. My first impressions after 6 hours or so of wear are bit disappointing. I find this very masculine. There's a strong smell of male sweat going on that just doesn't go away. I don't know whether it's the civit or musk. It's a smell that wafts past on men wearing too much heavy cheap smelling fragrance. I would warn any woman considering a blind buy to test it first as it might not work for them either. Sorry but just don't get the florals at all. Will be passing to my husband to see how it smells on him or will try layering it with something more girly! Which is so not my style usually!

Castor
Castor

Coriandre is a very gentle, well-to-do version of an accord that can be bold, such the case of Aromatics Elixr. Please, don't assume that this means lack of complexity, which is quite notorious.

As in all chypres, it does have an animalic accord in the basenotes, maybe the reason why some might think of it as scent that can be easily worn by men. IMHO, top notes are clearly feminine, but if you don't care much about this, you will enjoy it a lot.

It might not be what it used to be, but the fact is that it is one of the best blind buys I've ever did. Besides the fact that for the price this is an excellent value for money.

A final consideration - maybe my wife should consider herself lucky for not liking this accord at all: if she would wear this, I would assault her in no time :)

johngreenink
johngreenink

The reason, I believe, that Coriandre is such a great perfume is that it is based on the scent of the coriander seed - and this scent is like no other. It is at once spicy, fresh, lemony and warm. Those characteristics carry over distinctly into this unusual chypre perfume. The scent is balanced out by so many other wonderful elements, like oakmoss, roses, geranium, patchouli, crocus - so it certainly has a full bouquet, but it does have a wonderful, gauzy feel that I've not quite seen in this type of perfume before. What I particularly love is the way it settles into the skin within about 5 minutes after applying. It is almost on the edge of being soapy, but not quite. However, it has that sparkle, that finesse.

This is, to me, a very sophisticated scent that smells of very high quality, which is fascinating considering it's very affordable price. It's certainly feminine, although I'm really drawn to the smell and wonder if a guy can pull it off (perhaps layering it with something else...) mainly because it is such a nicely clean and green scent; something that men don't have available to them too often. All in all, a wonderful warm-weather scent that just about anyone could wear.

nofixedstars
nofixedstars

Coriandre is an oldie but goodie that is eminently worth adding to any perfume wearer's rotation, especially in warm weather. For a fairly petite amount of cash, one gets a fresh, green, aromatic scent that enfolds one in a veil of calm coolness. It evolves quickly, is in fact almost a linear scent, but it's not boring in any way. On the contrary, someone's head was on straight when composing this, because it's deceptively simple but completely satisfying. There is coriander aplenty, but somehow it doesn't invoke any culinary associations, which, like cumin, it can when handled less intelligently. There's a bright, refreshing bergamot, crisp and earthy vetiver, angelica, a rather delicate patchouli, and a honeyed orange blossom, all entwined with a very pretty base of wood, oakmoss, and light musk.

Sillage is light to moderate on me; I apply it in generous swaths to get a little more. Duration is better than I would have thought, especially from older samples. Coriandre is genderless, smelling equally pleasant on anyone who cares to adopt it. On a hot day, it's the fragrance equivalent of a sheer linen shirt and a cold drink; when I want "fresh" in a perfume, I'm headed for something chypre, something green, something redolent of moss and herbs. Coriandre hits that spot nicely.

joliecat
joliecat

Corriander is definitely a unisex fragrance. Both males and females can easily wear Corriander.

It starts out very spicy, mossy, strong, unique. After the first hour or so, Corriander becomes a skin scent as it drys down, and softens into a dry earthy floral. It's sweet in the drydown, but not too sweet. Civet, oakmoss and patchouli are quite strong at first, but they settle down and blend into the florals, sandalwood and vetiver.
Very masculine at first, Corriander settles into a heavenly smooth earthy sweeter floral wrapped in creamy sandalwood. The corriander spice becomes much less sharp and prominamt, but still adds noticeable flavor to the mix.

Silage and longevity are moderate with one or two sprays. If you spray more liberally, it will last a good 12 hours. Corriander is a wonderful bargain, smells a lot more expensive than it is, and makes a most unique additon to a perfume wardrobe.

Suggestion for anyone who finds Corriander too masculine : You can mix Corrianer with any sweet perfume to tone down sweetness and add a spicy kick. Just spray one fragrance on top of the other !

echounit
echounit

I've recently developed an appreciation for this perfume, one which my mother wore.

Having worn it only in cold weather so far, I think it might actually be more appropriate on me in warm weather, and then in the day time.

It's so fresh and cool! Can't wait for summer...

Update: Spring is delayed in Chicago and I couldn't wait. For whatever reason, after two hours, I get rose and vetiver. What a combination!

ChrisInBrooklyn
ChrisInBrooklyn

Does anyone feel like Coriandre could be unisex? I'm a guy and love coriander and am curious to try it.

Migalex
Migalex

This is amazingly beautiful. Gucci nº 3 is very similar, and so is L'Arte di Gucci. Knowing is also similar. Well, it is the coriander, oakmoss, rose and patchouly amongst other notes what makes them similar, but the trade mark really is coriander. I do think it has been the source of inspiration for those more recent fragrances, all very good. It exsudes a warmth truly intoxicating. A masterpiece. It also smells very animalic, which to me is a plus. I had a 9 ml miniature and have been tracking and trying to purchase online a big bottle for several years and only now I finally found and got it and for a very reasonable price.

Flowergrl
Flowergrl

Oh, this one just makes me happy! I bought an old bottle somewhere and I'm not sure if it's been reformulated or not since then. It's so fresh that I feel I'm outdoors and the coriander is so uplifting. It really does brighten my mood and lasts longer than I expected it to for a light scent. It's great in the Spring or Summer yet I like it as a Fall or Winter pick-me-up too. It seems as if it's mad of real botanical ingredients, like a breath of fresh air, love it.

kalee23
kalee23

I have loved this fragrance for years. Coriandre is a visual snapshot fragrance for me. A picture of pure european romance circa 1950's... yet strangely modern as well. Coriandre should be worn by a beautiful, earthy woman who has earned the patina of life. Someone with a generous heart, who is more delicate than she appears, and is also proud enough to always hold something back. Coriandre is lush and yet restrained. A contradiction of warm and cool. A study in the earthy elegance of the transitional seasons of spring and fall. Picture Anna Magnani in the Rose Tattoo(1955), or Sophia Loren cooking pasta in a hot kitchen with herbs drying on the window sill. An exquisite composition that is at once simple and complex.

phoebemoonpie
phoebemoonpie

I LOVE Coriandre. I think it's sharp and fresh like the first deep breath of cold, bright winter air. Brr!

Yet, it dries down to something softer and comfortable.

Back in the olden days, before fur coats were a terrible social statement, I used to wear a vintage fox jacket and this fragrance on very cold evenings - walking around the rough cobbled streets of Bolzano, Italy, being very young and feeling sophisticated. Like, maybe, I was a character in a movie.

I still love to wear this in the winter time, and it brings those days back to me in a cold and heady rush.

ingahoberg
ingahoberg

I wore this off and on for about 2 years during the late 80's early 90's. It was a bargain at $7 for the small one and like $10 for the large size at T.J. Max. It like cleared my head, rid myself of fuzzy thinking and made me feel really present. I do wish it would have lasted longer. I'd buy it again if I could get for $10 or less! It was so clean and fresh and different from most of the spicy, herbal scents out there.

Floral chypre that really makes green impression.

Most of all I feel the coriander and the geranium notes on the vetiver and oakmoss notes musky base in this fragrance. Other notes are also noticeable, especially floral notes such as rose, iris and jasmine.

I would say that this chypre smells softly. I wish only the floral notes were more intensive and the lasting power was better.

Calm and noble enough fragrance.

irisjetaime
irisjetaime

I'm 46 (almost 47 O_o.ops !)
When i was a little girl (early in the seventies) my mum's nurse was wearing this scent.
Early in the eighties, i asked this lady : can you tell me what's your fragrance Dear Madame Roux ?
It's Coriandre by Jean Couturier dear Iris.....

I told myself : i will own this scent when i will be a woman....

this scent is just stunning, chic,timeless perfume...
And cheap ;O) hahahahahahaah (important remark also)

dlane1953
dlane1953

Love this stuff!! A reviewer commented that it smelled somehow "transparent"--a great description of this fresh, singing fragrance. The opening is so refreshing that you really don't expect more, but it does have depth that slowly develops over time. I don't get the civit at all--the base notes are subtle to my nose but are certainly there. Guess that's the sign of a great fragrance; it doesn't have to shout at you. A great bargain price as well. It's hard to find interesting fragrance at such a decent price.

After wearing several more times, I can pick up the mossy tones and the civit. The beautiful flowery notes are lovely too. A winner in all stages of development.

Henriette
Henriette

When David Copperfield and Little Emily ramble in the meadows as children and David's thoughts linger on how happy he would be to die then ("children ever, never growing older, never growing wiser [...] in a sweet sleep of purity and peace and buried by the birds when we were dead"), so perfectly happy, asking no more to life, then I associate that feeling of David's with Coriandre. A happy perfume if I may say that, filled with happiness - the same happiness David Copperfield has pursued in all his life, so crisp and young - as crisp and young David and Emily are - so full of tenacity, and yet so subtle, discreet, polite. A must for hot summer days, when you are in need of something invigorating and green, but given its exceptional lasting power and deep aromas, I would dare it today, gray November day, in a walk on the British moor.

yvankraft
yvankraft

Coriandre is classic, chic and at the same time simple, almost unpretensious. Maybe you won't feel the myriad of notes described above, but be sure: it's a fragrance into which its creator put his thought. Floral-chypre with a touch of hidden masculinity. If you like really French compositions, this is for you.

Lumiere
Lumiere

I once smelled it at my friend's collection and was looking for it for a while, now tried it, and puzzled. It smells like a male perfume on me, so strong it gives me headache. As much as I like to steal male fragrances, this seems just too much. I hope i fall in love with it one day as i had it in my mind to be a very chick niche perfume, but not yet...Just wanting to wash it off and spray on some green grass (male) Ligo by latvian Dzintars which has been my recent secret love affair.

Galya
Galya

On me it's Rose poivree of The different company!The same dry rose with spice and a bit animalistic note.
I have perfume vintage.

paiged98@gmail.com
paiged98@gmail.com

just bought this and it is so unlike anything that I own. It starts with the coriander smell but turns into something a bit spicy and tangy. That must be the green notes I guess. I don't detect the civet and I have worked with it, trust me, you would know. Obviously this is done well and the the animal base notes porvide that depth which makes this such a unique scent. I was affraid it was going to be too heavy and cause a headache but did nothing of the sort. In fact, I keep noticing the slight changes in it as the hours pass and I am affraid I have fallen for it. Lovely, just so special, you must try.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

For a long time I thought my bottle had gone off, as I couldn't stand to wear it; it made me nauseous. Now reading the Fragrantica notes, it was probably supposed to smell like it did! It was VERY strong and I could detect virtually no other notes except the coriander. This was quite a few years ago, maybe it has been reformulated? Not one for me I'm afraid. Nicer on a man?

Saintkitty
Saintkitty

Coriander is not for everyone. This perfume is bitter and strong, agressive Chypre. I guess, many ladies just can't tame it.
First the only note I smell is coriander (and some soapy adelhydes). This scent is not warm and not cold, something in the middle. I'm gonna wear it in the early spring, when the weather is cool and windy.
Lasting power is good and even more. After hour or two the scent becomes much tender (as far as it possible with the rebel nature of Coriander). In that time I feel some new notes (geranium and jasmine).
I like to lie in my bed smelling Coriander from my wrists and dreaming about far away countries. I picture myself somewhere in India for example. After it, my pillow keeps the smell of Coriander for the long time.
It's better use Coriander in small proportion, or it may induce headache.
The bottle is so old-fashioned that it makes me smile. Oh, this malachite box!
I have never seen Jeans Couturier perfumes in the stores, I bought my Coriander in online store. I'm happy to find something rare and unique like this!

Cereza
Cereza

Fresh daytime scent for any femme fatale out there. It smells surprisingly good on my sking and is not dated at all. Well, ok, soapy adelhydes at the opening are disturbing me a little, but the flowers are so wonderful! Mostly I get combo of green carnation and fresh rose, there are hints of jasmine sweetness, but it only plays along to accompany the wonderful rose. It's a little bit bitter, but in a good way.

So, my verdict about Coriandre is....well...it's awesome chypre - cold, strong, feminine and powerful. It is not dated, it smells LOVELY and can be worn in any occasions. I put on my wrist a small amount and it smells amazing. So - use it moderatly and you'll get time of your life wearing this.

Bravo! I'm now struggling to think if I want to add this to my collection.

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

After many awkward attempts to get along I must now confess to myself that the coriander note in perfume simply does not work for me. It just comes across so incredibly butch & aggressive on me. And it makes my tummy churn.

So with this disclaimer in mind, the top notes of Coriandre sickens both my body and soul.

A little later a wonderful grassiness comes through, like Chris V says it is just like the scent of a sweet freshly mown lawn. I believe this is the geranium speaking and is my favourite part.

In the drydown, which is where I am now, it is dusty, extremely dry and to my nose rather like sweetish leathery vetiver. It is much too masculine for my current tastes.

Despite smelling quite timeless in itself, I see Coriandre being a truly extraordinary fragrance for its epoch. The 60s were a time when western women truly began the journey to being empowered and more than any other fragrance I have experienced, Coriandre exhibits the zeitgeist of the times - so unapologetic, energetic and independant.

xen
xen

Oh yes!.....This is good...uncomplicated scent :o) So fresh but softens to a warm yummy 'can't stop smelling yourself' goodness! So glad I purchased this...and I'm a girl!...Boys could wear this too! This is definitely unisex ;o) Well worth the 'search and find'.......

milena
milena

Just got my coriandre today and I have to say I am in love. It is not your sweet innocent type of scent.Very very green and not at all shy. A monster in a positive way.Spicey green that screams sexiness.Wow. A keeper.

Yamba1
Yamba1

This is one green with attitude. Coriandre goes on fresh and seemingly clean cut. Nothing too out of the ordinary... but wait... the green top notes start to give way to the heady geranium and rose of the middle notes. At this point, you begin to see some of Coriandres personality peeping through. This isn't an innocent crisp green by a long shot. You sniff again, and before long the woody musky notes come through and you realise this is a full bodied green chypre classic that can be worn day or night.
Coriandre isn't a 'pretty' or romantic perfume. Indeed I can easily see this being worn well by a man or woman with the right personality to carry it off.
This will be upgraded to a full bottle for my collection!

applemint
applemint

This is so Europe it almost gave me flashbacks....although it could be that my father used to spray this in his workshop or car....he thought eau de toilette meant toilet or room freshener (I did too and felt weird about spraying it on myself :) And I agree, it would suit a man.
It reminds me of europe from late afternoon to the night, when everyone was smoking and they wore loud aldehydes.
Sexy, smokey but clean and adventurous.
I love it.

imoore

Are there any guys to test this one?
My husband is not willing, but I have a feeling that it would go well with a Boss suite.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

I was pleasantly surprised by the somewhat citrusy opening. It was a scent that stayed very close to the skin, and then developed, on me, into the smell of a wet fur coat...was not a pleasant development.

imoore

Bandit is a little sister to this one!
Do not bother spending the money on it, instead try this beauty! It deserves a power suit and a crisp white shirt and high hills!
Vintage minies are still available off you go!

bergamot
bergamot

I actually cannot wear this fragrance but own it since was very obsessed with it for a long time for some reason. When I was very young and smelt it it was like a story from a far away place or culture. I think I enjoyed how novel it was to me. it was at the beginning of my love for fragrance and it gave me realization of the adventure in perfume.

Chris v.V.
Chris v.V.

I want it! It's like I've just cut the grass -- and accidentally mowed down a bed of fragrant flowers, too, creating a green potpourri.

At first spray it's too "something" -- too spicy? Five minutes later, it's too "something" again -- too soapy?

Ahhhhhhh! But an hour later! I'm sniffing my wrist constantly! It has settled into its base notes which, on me, pick up the oakmoss/vetiver and, thankfully, NOT the patchouli.

*Sigh* My list of perfumes I must have grows longer...

chyprecat
chyprecat

I first started wearing this perfume about 20 years ago; was originally attracted by the green bottle top (green being my favourite colour) and have never looked back. Unlike any other green chypre perfume I have used and very distinctive. Mown grass after rain with a touch of citrus, verbina and cucumber. Yum.

For years I passed over the pseudomalachite-plastic-capped CORIANDRE as I rummaged through the TJMAXX, Filene's Basement, and Marshall's random perfume bins. For years I was wrong.

Jean Couturier CORIANDRE is a top-notch creation in the chypre category with such a compelling composition that I am swiftly making my way through the 50ml bottle which I finally bought only recently online scent unsniffed thanks to Fragrantican rave reviews. So right they were, and thanks to them I have discovered another great survivor from the 1970s, an uplifting, grassy, wear with everything everywhere at everytime fragrance that I'll certainly be purchasing again.

I really love this stuff. This may sound extreme, but whenever I spritz it on, I experience an immediate elevation in mood. In fact, I think that I'll go reapply right now, as of late I have been wallowing in too much gloom and the prospects of doom...

Well, I'm back. What a breath of fresh air! Here I am now laying in a hammock as the warm summer air gently caresses my skin, the sun slowly sets, and I look up at the moon just beginning to appear.

Starched white shirt on an uptight chick with her legs crossed as she sits atop a hard, straightbacked chair? No way!

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

This is a review of the vintage EDT.

Coriandre manages to be strong, green, rosy, mossy, and yet somehow still very transparent.

I'm having a hard time putting that effect into words. It's not a clean, soapy effect, nor is this an aquatic or ozonic fragrance. It just smells very fresh, very crisp and distinct. Some perfumes take on a muddled characteristic as they move from layer to layer. Coriandre never does that. Even the base notes remain sharply outlined.

This scent smells like no other, and as Malegria noted, upon smelling it, I realize I have smelled it on many people and just never knew what it was. It's a beautiful chypre, of the variety that they just don't make anymore. Apparently its newest incarnation is remarkably different and disappointing to people who loved the original.

My hunt begins for a vintage bottle. . . .

helens
helens

I love this fragrance but haven't seen it in the UK for years.I used it all the time in late 70's. How can I get it in the UK? Is it still available?

davidtoms
davidtoms

I am a huge fan of Chypre perfumes and being a man and wearing a lot of women's perfume I just had to try this one. I have no idea what the original was like, and I imagine it to be far superior to what I have just bought. Needless to say, my first spray this morning wasnt sending me into heaven. I thought it was nice, green and probably a good everyday summer scent. I was becoming slight disappointed until now about 6 hours later it has developed into something that is wonderful. The spiciness is coming through even though the green is still there. Am going to have to try this further!

AmadoMio
AmadoMio

The best! It's slinky with a sly wink.
I always am asked what am I wearing - and I adore chypres.
And what a trail it leaves...

Malegria
Malegria

Wow...Wow. WOOOOOW!!!!!
A great chypre AND a very wearable one, too. I know for sure I met it many times before and just did not know the name!
I don`t find it green - more spice...did you ever smell coriander seeds? or got one of them on your tooth while eating rye bread? There it is!

viewdemonde
viewdemonde

Absolutely the most sinuously wicked perfume ever created. You will be constantly surprised by it's presence. "Is it me who smells this good?" It's also a "stayer" so you can confidently apply it before you go out for the night and know you don't have to touch up, much like "Miss Balmain." I hope they never change it's bottle or packaging. Love the malachite print.

N.B: There is another, lesser-known perfume by Jean Couturier called "Un Jardin a Paris" which is lovely, too and being a stunningly light floral, is totally opposite to the dusky "Coriandre." "Un Jardin a Paris" is to day, what "Coriandre" is to night.

lilinah
lilinah

Compared to my other perfumes, "Coriandre" is delicate and gentle. I bought it when it was released, excited to have a scent that included coriander, one of my favorite spices.

I lived in Los Angeles at the time, and it was a counteraction to the hot polluted air, being light and refreshing.

I love chypres and i'm rather surprised to see it being sold so cheaply these days... and i wonder why?

Suseken
Suseken

This one is Chypre at its best.I like it very much,its not for everybody and very special.Always good for compliments.A spicy basenote with long lasting power.

Krista14
Krista14

I had it years ago and some weeks ago I found this empty bottle. This same notes are still there.. Unbelieveble! I liked it.

elgab89
elgab89

Can fresh and green be aggressive? Certainly so. Coriandre is the proof of it. It hits you right from the start - this is not shy - you will certainly stand out, wearing it. I would go crazy for it on summer months, however it could make you feel even colder in the winter.
The dry down is surprising, it does not melt down, as most perfumes do, but maintains same mossy and addictive combativeness.
Very original and unique, I am giving it thumbs up!

Coriandre by Jean Couturier 4.24 out of 5 based on 307 ratings and 65 user reviews

Deodorant 3.3oz
CORIANDRE for WOMEN by Jean Couturier DEODORANT SPRAY 3.4 OZ
Deodorant 3.3oz
Coriandre Perfume by Jean Couturier - 3.3 oz Deodorant Spray
Coriandre Perfume by Jean Couturier - 3.3 oz Deodorant Spray
Coriandre Perfume by Jean Couturier, 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Tester for Women
CORIANDRE for WOMEN by Jean Couturier EDT SPRAY 3.3 OZ TESTER
Coriandre Perfume by Jean Couturier - 3.4 oz Parfum De Toilette Spray
Parfum 0.3oz
CORIANDRE for WOMEN by Jean Couturier PARFUM EXTRACT .30 OZ
CORIANDRE for WOMEN by Jean Couturier PARFUM EXTRACT .30 OZ

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Jean Couturier Coriandre fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Jean Couturier Coriandre, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Coriandre by Jean Couturier. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Coriandre by Jean Couturier represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.