Designers » I-K » Floral « Groups

1000 Jean Patou for women

1000 Jean Patou for women Pictures 1000 Jean Patou for women Pictures 1000 Jean Patou for women Pictures

1000 by Jean Patou is a Floral fragrance for women. 1000 was launched in 1972. The nose behind this fragrance is Jean Kerleo. Top notes are coriander, green notes, bergamot, tangerine and violet leaf; middle notes are iris, violet, jasmine, chinese osmanthus, lily-of-the-valley, rose and geranium; base notes are sandalwood, amber, musk, patchouli, civet, oakmoss and vetiver.

Coriander Green Notes Bergamot Tangerine Violet Leaf

iris Violet Jasmine Chinese Osmanthus Lily-of-the-Valley Rose Geranium

Sandalwood Amber Musk Patchouli Civet Oakmoss Vetiver

Clandestine
Nostalgie

1000 Fragrance Reviews

VanillaTabbyCat1963
VanillaTabbyCat1963

Have you ever bought a perfume that from day one you could not stop wearing,.Every time you wear it, it gets better and better?

1000 is that perfume for me. I put on a nightgown today that had such a hauntingly beautiful rose accord standing out among crisp fresh greeness. The scent of a living rose in a rain drenched garden in the spring, of dew-covered plant chutes after a heavy early spring shower.

!000 is the kind of thing that makes you realize how you wasted your time. Wasted it on settling on cheap, chemical florals that you know now you will never use again.

Migalex
Migalex

First I have got to say that staying power is astounding. Not many fragrances these days have so good a staying power. I do remembre it quite differrent from some twenty years ago, I remember it much more sweet and floral and not animal at all. But my memory might be deceiving me. The current fragrance is animal foral, smells a lot of civet, the way mad madame does, altough it is not nearly as heavy and strong. For my taste, mad madame is much much better, and even more original, but 1000 is still obviously a very good fragrance, from my viewpoint.

Gjilchrist
Gjilchrist

To me, 1000 (the 1991 edt version) is a sexy '70s green, a la Givenchy III or Chanel No. 19, which is just my thing these days. In it, I feel like Faye Dunaway as Bonnie Parker. Gorgeous, bold, and sporty--how the '70s interpreted the '30s. I feel inspired to take up both tennis and pot.

As StellaXYH describes, it begins for me as a very damp forest floor and I worry about others on my subway ride. But soon it transforms into something extraordinary: a rich, complex, and very wearable, floral green. I'm in love and plan to devote my summer to it.

mightypog
mightypog

Most florals just vanish on me. This stays for hours. The opening smells like what I think of as classic perfume, probably because I was a kid when it came out. At first, it's very light and I get tempted to keep putting more on until I can smell something.

But in half an hour, I get big huge lovely florals. Rich, heady florals like walking through a park in full fragrant bloom. That goes on for a really long time,a nd the chypre base really starts coming through with that rich, low oakmoss and a bit of vetiver, but it's never as assertively a chypre as is, say, Mitsouko.

I put 1000 on before I went out tonight and five hours later it's wonderful and intriguing, chypre and Easter flowers and a faint beautiful little spice note that I suspect is the coriander.

This is such a gorgeous accord. If I had this for a floral, Mitsouko for a deep chypre, Cuir De Russie for a leather and Atelier's Vetiver Fatal for a vetiver, I'd be all set! I have Amouage Memoir Woman and Interlude Woman for an oriental incense, so I'm good there.

amyewest
amyewest

I swear it smells like glue. And earl gray tea and maybe aldehydes? A hair of "green" that reminds me of tomato plant leaves. Maybe my sample is spoiled?

Mary-Jayne
Mary-Jayne

There is very little I can add to the many reviews already listed.
What I can say is that as a twenty-something (ok nearly 30, but still, in my head I will be forever 17!) this doesn't smell "old" to me. It smells classic. This is definitely wearable by a younger crowd, please don't feel it isn't for you because of some of the comments! This is definitely worth seeking out for a sample spray if nothing else.
Very complex and rich it doesn't have the same feel as many modern perfumes...to me with many of the popular [not all I hasten to add!] modern scents it is like listening to a classical orchestral piece through a mobile phone...you feel there should be something MORE to it, something else there behind the shrieky treble, all you get is second violin, 3rd clarinet, there is no percussion, no bass!. With 1000 it is like listening to the same genre of music but through a really high end stereo if that makes sense and suddenly you see the composition in full, the piccolo and triangle at the top, double bass, euphonium, drums at the bottom. Everything is there and yet it works in harmony and symphony so you don't think "I am listening to cornets, and flutes, and cellos, and..."you just give yourself to the music. This is how 1000 feels to me.
On my skin this somehow smells expensive, if such a thing can be true, well blended so it is hard to pick out single notes, more this is the sum of many notes not a bunch of single notes stood in line. I get a sort of honeyed musky mossy floral with animalic undertones - enough to say "I am a WOMAN"! without feeling a need to pull on a miniskirt and high heels! It is hard to explain. It makes me feel classy :)
Oh and don't let price put you off, one or two sprays of edp lasts over 14 hours on me!

rubyred108
rubyred108

"1000" has been my winter go-to for my adult life. I revisited my classic wardrobe recently, and found that I'm very over "1000." Not who I am anymore. It's too dark, dirty and heavy velvet curtains. Sillage and last was overpowering! Although I'm older (and wiser), I'm lighter, more breezy in my old (?) age and looking for a new (but classic) fragrance. In the meantime, I wore "Je Reviens" today. Maybe I already have the best of the best??? Suggestions, please.

maltatude
maltatude

This is a slightly heavy classic.
Rose-Floral. White musk.
Then Rose and Ambergris and Animalic notes.

Think soft, soapy ambergris and animalic notes. The concept of 'soapy' is so subjective whenever it's used but think of a well constructed classic rose, floral soap made out of high quality ingredients with a healthy amount of animalic notes just enough to give you that classic 'soap' feel.

It's not sharp or packed full of heady, eye gouging, unidentifiable synthetic notes. If you are into this style of perfume, you will possibly love it.

This is a bit too old for me and not oriental enough for my tastes but if you like animalic fragrances that are earthy and classic (and not in a bad way, I mean a beautiful smooth classic floral animalic blend) then this may just be for you. I think it's a great composition, regardless of if I would wear it.

Naturally, everyone's skin is different so test in advance :)

ginadantas
ginadantas

I have a miniature of it. I would easily buy a big bottle, it is delicious.

drummagick
drummagick

Received a very generous sample from the lovely Cl today. What a beautiful perfume!! Opens on my skin with about an equal measure of bergamot and tangerine and a gorgeous green note with just a faint hint of the oakmoss to come, then the heart notes start unfolding with a beautiful balance of osmanthus and rose and lots of violet. I'm not getting much of the jasmine, just a hint. And just enough civet to dirty things up just a little bit. It's greener than I expected too, which I love in a perfume. The green seems to keep the florals from being entirely too sweet. Later on it gets very mossy, it's about as mossy on my skin as Mitsouko. Right now this is very much like a slightly more floral Mitsouko, less the stronger peach note but with the stone fruits note of osmanthus. This one just unfolds and unfolds and unfolds and every facet of it is stunning. This review is for vintage EDT. Big love.

edit: and unfolds some more. Right at this very moment, it smells very much like Silences.

edit2: here towards the end it is just the tiniest bit warm. I'm glad this perfume is no warmer than it is, in my opinion it wouldn't have been near as beautiful. The greenness and coolness of it make it almost a little unearthly.

StellaXYH
StellaXYH

The opening of Jean Patou 1000 is very difficult for me. It's camphoraceous, mossy, earthy, swampy, whatever. However, with a little patience, osmanthus emerges to mellow this concotion. The overall effect is like dried apricots and dry leather wrapped by a musky animalic warmth. At one point, I do find it a little sour. But fortunately it soon veers back and never becomes overly fecal for my liking.

Later on, there appears to be more jasmine and rose. Together with the medicinal camphor note, it slightly reminds me of Tauer's Le Maroc pour Elle. Towards the very end, the animalic warmth takes over along with amber and leather.

The sillage is moderate at first then it stays close to skin for around 9 hours. 1000, being one of the few classic fragrances that I tried, definitely has a difficult opening for my liking. But the later parts showed me its charm. Maybe not FB-worthy for me yet, but I'm intrigued and am looking forward to trying some other classic fragrances.

happyscent
happyscent

1000 - another earthy smell fragrance, I don't get the floral notes on this; this starts out citrus? then becomes green and finally earthy (like how dry dirt would smell)

Henriette
Henriette

You're lying on the bed, shoulders bare, half asleep.
You feel a soft touch, a male touch clearly, caressing your skin, tracing circles on your skin.
He's a stranger, a sinful pleasure invades your sleep.
You turn, you kiss him, open your eyes ... he's your husband ...
That's 1000: a sinful pleasure at the beginning, turning (sinfully, of course) to a cozy, familiar, sweetness you're never tired of.
Just too beautifully complicated to describe, a perfume you have to try, starting promising, offering a world of unfurling pleasures and settling down into a comfort smoothness.
Wonderful, a true classic I always go back to. One of the few I keep buying, wearing and enjoying bottle after bottle.

OlMagnolia
OlMagnolia

This is my HG of perfumes. When in doubt I wear this. It is just simply a lovely perfume for any time, any mood. Each morning I stand before an altar of perfume bottles - which one do I wear today? And a lot of times it is about mood. But when I'm totally stumped I pick 1,000.

krmarich
krmarich

This is perhaps one of the finest floral creations ever. I have waited years and finally blind purchased this stunner. Its an EDT from 1984. It was only 12 years old at the time. I dont understand the old lady references. Nobody does the floral better than Patou in the 20th C, and 1000 sits effortlessly at the top.

Its very "mod" in character. 1972 was comfortable and natural. The legend fits this beauty-the day it was released, 1000 Rolls Royce delivered 1000 bottles of 1000 to 1000 of the most elegant women in Paris. This is truly paradise lost!

Joy is very wintry and wears fur. 1000 is like a warm summer breeze dressed in diaphanous silk. I can understand how every drop contains 1000 flowers. There is no other floral that I can think of that commands such power than Mitsouko. That's another chypre, of course. 1000 gives you flowers immediately while playing in the classic green magic of the chypre notes of oakmoss, vetiver and patchouli. I get lots of violet in here amid the rose, iris and jasmine. The civet is well behaved only giving the composition more depth. It boggles the nose with its complexity. Indeed, it changes ever so slightly as the day progresses.

The same opulent presentation as Joy gave Patou a reputation for wealth and prestige. Perhaps thats why 1000 was a little out of reach for many. The ingredients of this batch are authentic and unmatched. The reputation fits 1000 and indeed Jean Kerleo-perhaps one of the finest noses that ever lived. This is an epic French perfume above all.

Jitterbug Perfume Lover
Jitterbug Perfume Lover

Patou 1000
This review is for the vintage EDP.
This perfume was high on my want list, and I searched high and low for a vintage bottle, so that I could test the original formulation. I absolutely love how vintage fragrances unfold over time giving you time to settle in with each of the notes, unlike the newer creations, and since I love ultra feminine fragrances, I was sure this one was going to be true love. It has all my favorite notes; oak moss, civet, osmanthus, violet, jasmine, rose and even LOTV! I was sure it would be a contender for my top 5 all time favorites. Not so.

My first mistake was trying it out in the summer. The dry California summer desert heat took this beauty and scraped off all the delicate notes and left me with a screechy spice bomb that made my eyes water. So, I tucked it away until the winter and gave it another go. This time, it showcased the geranium for about 1 hour with the other flowers in the distant background, but more as a support than as a bouquet. The dry down was a touch of the sandalwood and amber base with a pinch of the violet leaf, then *poof* gone. The entire journey lasted about 1 ½ hours, tops. Even putting my wrist on my nose, there was nothing. I reapplied, thinking maybe I’d gotten it wrong – maybe I mistakenly washed my wrists? But, even with the second application, it was the exact same journey.

What disappointed me the most was how formal it felt. I am used to old school vintage florals. I am used to wearing the ones that make you feel girly; the ones made in an era when housewives greeted their husbands at the door with chilled cocktail and high heels. This one made me feel like a caricature of a woman – as though I were in a tight corset and way way way too much makeup. It was much too over the top and had no restraint on me. I am so saddened that I just don’t have the chemistry for this one. I feel as if I have been betrayed by a good friend. I want to love it as much as I love Joy, but I will have to pass this beauty on to someone who can shine in its opulence

I happened to be at Nordstrom today and because I am a glutton for punishment, I spritzed on some 1000. I say this because I had tried to love this fragrance in the past and it smelled like hot butt on me.
Well, imagine my surprise when I was not only not horrified by 1000, I liked it. Quite a bit actually. Not sure if this can be chalked up to a change in chemistry, age or reformulation but now 1000 smells like a completely different perfume on me.
It's like a more adult, more interesting Gucci Flora. Lots of osmanthus, fresh coriander, a slightly minty patchouli. I'm not at all getting the floral overload or aggressive civet I perceived in the past.
1000 is creamy, yet airy. I detect a strong presence of violet leaf.
Not sure if I could commit to a full bottle of this fragrance, but I'm thinking I may need a mini.

kelleysmall
kelleysmall

Love this one and have for many years. There is nothing like it, and to my knowledge no one has tried to copy it. It makes me think of beautiful fall weather with big, bulky, colourful sweaters, golden leaves and leather gloves. It's a very warm scent and so different than anything else! Even the EDT is wonderful if you can't afford the real jus - very expensive. I do love it so. The perfumes I get the most compliments on are this one and Must de Cartier. I wore a little 1000 on a shopping trip one day and the cashier was just in awe of the fragrance. Exquisite dry-down and rich sillage. Don't wear it in the summer!!

Sharyl
Sharyl

I've never had any reason to think I was anosmic to any scents, but I never seem to pick up more than a couple of notes in any fragrance I try. Occasionally, I perceive a scent as being so abstract that I can't differentiate any of its components, can only say that I decidedly like it or find it unremarkable (it's rare that I flat out dislike a fragrance). Honestly, I don't think this prevents me from fully enjoying perfume, but I do occasionally wonder why I don't get a fraction of the notes I see others rattling off.

In 1000, I smell a wall of violets, fairly body blocking a faint oakmossy base. (Civet? I wish I got the civet, because I do appreciate a little skank--this fragrance, however, is the diametric opposite of skank.) It is a lovely scent but never quite develops into a proper perfume on me.

Carnation
Carnation

An explosion of florals. I am definitely picking up the lily and rose in the top and middle notes. The dry down is mostly a soft,musky and slightly woody base. A very beautiful and romantic fragrance which is light on me. Nice for springtime wear. I am assuming the decant I received was an edt as it did not last long on my skin.

ThatMakesScents
ThatMakesScents

Current juice smelled on a paper strip. BEAUTIFUL

Beautiful opulent bouquet of florals pretentious and old world. I must quote Alfarom " furs and monogrammed purses". So True.

If you miss the stuffy classiques try this one.

I do love these types of scents.

For an older mature women with some money to her name ...or at least her husband's name.

I've read that longevity might be an issue so test before you buy.

9-na
9-na

Vintage. I like it very-very much for a number of things. The scent starts off... smelling like caddy with my favourite tea in it, when I open the caddy to make a cuppa. Then it's freshly-made tea in the cup, plus a beautiful bitter note, plus roses, so full with rose oil, plus wonderful animalic notes. One of my all-time favourite scents.

jovejove
jovejove

The closest I got to this fragrance was a lotion that we found at the bottom of a drawer at work. No one had known what it was, except for of course I. Reminded me of my childhood with the voluptuous ladies walking in the winter time, their fur coats fluffed and hair done up, powdered faces, nose in the air. Very different from the experience now working with fragrances;

Customer: "where's yurr *insert celeb name here* perfume at?"

Me: "it's just over here. It's a beautiful bottle that represents______. The fragrance opens with the note of ______ and develops into a delectable dry down of ________. The line also includes complimentary auxiliary body products"

Customer: "hahaha, that's funny and weird...smells good...what you gonna give me for free if I decide to get it?"

Thinking to myself;

Bazrob

I just adore this perfume & wear it on special occasions (but not dining out - it's too heady). It makes me feel so special & always provokes comments from people around me, both male & female.
It's a totally distinctive fragrance & very long lasting which I love.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Luca Turin describes this as a "best feminine for men," but, no. It's too feminine and reminds me too much of my wife's Joy.

It smells great, however.... bet it's wonderful on her! So I filled a little Nordstrom sample bottle to take home to find out.

nazza28
nazza28

Unfortunately this just doesn't work on my skin. It just smells like musty dried old flowers :-/ So disappointed, but I have a strong suspicion that my mum might be able to pull this off so I am going to pass this one on to her to try. Pretty much every perfume that doesn't suit me, suits her perfectly!

Edit: One whiff of this and mummy dearest was in love, I am so glad she digs this perfume! She said, wow what a beautiful old-fashioned perfume and quickly whisked it away! :)

MLK
MLK

I bought this recently as it is supposed to be a 'classic' perfume. It does smell rich, elegant and classy, but it is very floral. If you like florals, then you will love this perfume. I could not make up my mind between 1000 and Sublime. I thought at the time that 1000 smelled better than Sublime but I think I will go back and smell Sublime again as I may have bought the incorrect perfume.
Having said that, I will still use 1000 - probably in the winter as it is very strong perfume.

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

This one doesn't do it for me I'm afraid. I really enjoy a vintage perfume and I get irked at people who talk about 'old lady' perfumes, but this feels neither sensual, pretty or interesting.

In fact it feels conservative and definitely says Chanel suit and pearls to me, so it clearly has a certain elegance, I agree it's not a cheap smell by any means.

As I continue this quest into perfume houses I realise it's a bit like authors - you can usually tell by one book if you'll be curious about the others, not always though.

I'm about to give up on Jean Patou, having tried Joy and 1000, it's largely the way that civet is treated - I enjoy a little civet but I feel it says thank you for being paired with rich notes such as leather, or soapy notes

If any of the far more expert Fragranticans here reckon I should try Sublime, or another Patou fragrance before I abandon my exploration I'd be open minded!

Edit: I have a 5ml mini bottle (mini version of large bottle) if anyone's interested?

Soft Cells
Soft Cells

In the early 80s this scent was very fashionable and trendy, a must for women tres chic (because the price was prohibitive). I was very very young and obviously do not understand anything about perfumes, I sniffed and I said "is not for me."
Since then I've always snubbed, very foolishly.
I was given an old bottle, I thought "What a lousy gift" but I gave it another chance, and it was pure magic: great! Finally, a true elegant scent is not cloying, durable, luxurious but not boring, multi-faceted and ever-changing, dusty in the right way. The core is a symphony that revolves around the iris and the rose with a remarkable openness of green notes and bergamot. The amber and musk remain on to dampen but not toxic acid notes of citrus and gelsonimo.
A rare case of perfume well stratified, persistent, elegant, sumptuous, luxurious without being brash, maybe not very very original but impeccable and can hold a candle to the old Chanel No. 5 or old Guerlain's.
Never more without it .
Triple chapeau.

Frenchie-Loveday

This is one of the loveliest perfumes ever made..it should be called woman...heads turn..sexy..full bodied...imagine putting your nose into a large dark red rose and then straight away smell a yellow tea rose amongst other delicious smells...its one of the truly great ones in line with Shocking with its sweet honeyed sexy smell...or Arpege...with its vevet sweetness

Bazrob

I adore 1000!!! For me it's my all time favourite. My husband first bought it for me at an airport on his way back from the USA to the UK & everyone remarked on it & they still do.
It is heavy so I wouldn't wear it when going for a meal but for other evening/night occasions it's gorgeous, unforgettable & a little sprayed onto a hair parting leaves a lasting memory on a pillow.We now live in S.W.France & every perfume shop I've been into has never heard of Jean Patou, let alone 1000 so I'm being very frugal with the remaining amount as I don't know where or when I'll be able to find some more, especially with the restrictions on sending liquids around the world via post.

sherryberry
sherryberry

I just sampled this today, for the first time. I really like it!! I'm not surprised though. It came out in 1972, and I love that era, as well as the 60's, when it comes to perfume. It's a very nice floral chypre. For some reason, 1000 reminds me of Diva by Ungaro. I might have to order a decant of 1000 sometime soon. I don't know if I sampled the edt or edp though. It sounds like they are a little different, according to some reviews on here.

Frenchie-Loveday

just one thought....the perfume in the bottle is the same, but behaves differently on different people. Channel no 5 is so highly rated but on me it smells like cats pee, whereas Arpege...smell delicious...its horses for courses.....

Frenchie-Loveday

sadly you cannot beat the old perfumes, when oh when will they invent a new one that smells as divine as this and Shocking.....thank god for Arpege....all the new perfumes smell synthetic and nasty.......I still want to smell Quadrille by Balenciaga, sadly I bought a bottle on Ebay only to find out it was stale and the seller a cheat, who promised to refund my money once the bottle was returned.......still waiting.!! moral...... be careful of sellers on Ebay

gazelle
gazelle

I've tested from my mini bottle 3x before I invested in a preformulation. It starts out with luxurious floral notes. I can't expect anyone to remember or agree with me, but this wonderful and expensive fragrance dries down smelling like Fresh cream deoderant of the 50's. That isn't a bad fragrance at all.but what a disappointment this Patou was for me. Maybe next Patou, better luck.

kuanyin4
kuanyin4

My most current obsessions are the houses of Patou, Balenciega & Caron. But since this is Patou, I will speak of that. Sublime was so sublime that it led me to 1000. That was so wonderful that I had to rediscover Joy. I learned that my old bottle of Joy was fake, or turned. I had just never liked it and now I understand why. 1000 is so well blended that I can only pick out a few notes, civet foremost. Which I adore. Sandalwood I realized I was picking up when I read it here. Sandalwood is such a lovely scent and yet it is so mellow and plays well with others, that I can't always pick it out. I have no idea what osmanthus smells like, but if this smells like it...I love it.

This is a scent that I wear for myself. It is not a screamer, even the way that I apply it. It would be good for a first date or first time meeting his parents. It is self assured, classy and sexy. Sexy in a relaxed, sensual way, not as in trying to hard to be noticed in a nightclub.

I think if a guy wore this I would follow him around like a lovesick puppy.

murasakisan
murasakisan

I fell in love with this perfume in the duty free on my way back to college in the mid 1970s. I was not a very sophisticated girl, despite my advanced taste in perfume! A boy from New York paid me a very nice compliment on the way into the dining hall as I wafted past him, remarking that the perfume I was wearing was very beautiful. I was mortified and corrected him, saying it was eau de cologne! I didn't wear it for a long time, fearful that I would attract unwanted attention! All grown up, I now enjoy male attention and know how to gracefully accept a compliment. This eau de cologne (that is indeed what I have!) is an attention getter: a gorgeous, sexy attention getter. And that's just fine.

shreyashi
shreyashi

I really wanted to love this. It was a gift and I was excited about it. However, I am still to embrace it. It is a very beautiful fragrance. I only wish it worked on me. I find it too sweet, too patchouli.
I would definitely recommend that people give it a try on their skin first before committing to buy this. If it works on you (like my sister) it is captivating and magical. So if you are in the market for a classic perfume. Along with the many that you would find give this a try too. It might just be the one you were looking for.

jgirgar
jgirgar

Update: While out sniffing at NM, finally, a saleslady who really gets quality and classics took me around the department showing me her favorites. I did not lead in saying how much I love fragrances but just 'let her go'. And she did really good. And we came to 1000 so I tried it again. This time I put it on my inner arm and on the back of my head/neck like I usually wear my fragrance and I really love this little gem. $190 though. In the drydown its true there is a bit of the Aramis 900 lightness or a subtle Aromatics Elixir - but, toned way down, only lightly floral and with a decent shot of muskiness 'funk' which is marvelous. I want this now! JG 120912.

I was so excited to find this the other day and I tried it on without hesitation. It's got that musky, dried flower that I love, but for me, it lacked the depth and strength I crave. Perhaps this one is better reserved for a lovely lady, I just wish it worked on my skin, it's very beautiful indeed! JG 042312

Rating: 8/10 more like 10/10 on a beautiful lady!

artsyrn
artsyrn

My new love! It is admittedly an odd frag... that strikes my humble nose as expensive hand soap mixed with a new car leather aroma, but it's done in such a beautiful, colorful expressionistic way! There is intelligence and good humor in this... It is mossy, not sharp, but soapy and utterly beautiful. This is not pretentious, nor does it scream "woman". She feels expensive and assured,and warm, just not overtly so. A genious,balanced beauty.

balzac
balzac

The luxury of experience is what comes to mind upon the initial opening of this fragrance

layer after layer after layer after layer, and levels higher in depth. Something beautiful and delicate of long ago found preserved and untouched in extravagant leather casing. Sweet powder wayfaring around in the air that blows a crisp, or rather seemingly cold personality of a fragrance to others in it's presence. Yet this never covers the quality of it being overtly feminine.

In the middle, this separates itself from the many others that are beneath the story this parfum tells, as it has a very high opinion of itself and is often misunderstood and not appreciated. It has traveled but it has not tired.

A timeless fashion statement this makes...provided the classic accessories to successfully carry this off in it's full intention. As I see it.

...it has settled and at the ending of the eve, it's subdued, it's reflective, and it's on the terrace in a silky layered flowing chiffon robe to take in the night's warm breeze (which happens to be in the tropics) because it's wealthly, it's old money.

L'Homme Vert
L'Homme Vert

Patou 'Mille' for me, is one of the most extraordinary perfumes created during the course of the latter part of the 20th century and it came as no surprise to learn that it had taken over ten years to perfect this fragrant jewel.
I remember it's launch in the early seventies and have remained a loyal and faithful devotee ever since.

And Yes, this perfume was not designed for the mass market, the couturier was indeed famous for having created the costliest perfume in the world some forty years earlier, 'Joy'
I'm sure '1000' was created as a homage to Jean Patou and modern counterpart to his 1930's flagship fragrance.
Similarities are apparent in both presentation, design and the liberal use of rare elements in perfume manufacture.
A tribute of great respect, I imagine !

The House of Patou was well established before this beauty made it's grand entrance.
Pedigree alone will not assure the longevity of any contender in this industry of fashion, beauty and fickle fads, much to our collective chagrin with so many Old Time favorites either dying out due to the inaccessibility of essences, absolutes and raw materials or simply being unceremoniously dumped or discontinued.

'1000' is basically a niche fragrance composed primarily of rare, exotic and natural components categorized as Floral Chypre, tending more to the mossy, woody notes interwoven with facets of hidden floralcy.
It's structure is so complex I was initially left bewildered after applying this gorgeous 'juice', there's just so much going on here.
The eventual and complete dry down is astounding, I know of no other remotely similar. Patou 'Mille' in my opinion is Unique !

The Osmanthus seems to impart a slightly creamy green olive nuance with overtones of ripe Apricots, Grasse jasmine & rose as the primary floral heart notes ?
Violette odorata concrete and angelica also add weight to this sweet but never cloying combination.
I can only speculate on the other constituents within this phase of the dry down.
The only trade off with this natural beauty is the necessity to re apply if using the lesser concentrations.
The 'Parfum' is absolute luxury, liquid gold !

My fervent hope is for this exceptional perfume to endure, and Heaven forbid not suffer the same fate as has befallen so many other past iconic treasures from 'Patou' !
'Caline'. . . was utterly sublime before 'Sublime'

Long Live the House of "Patou" &
To the Genius of Jean Kerleo !

Oldmagnolia
Oldmagnolia

I own quite a few perfumes - an eclectic assortment I'd say. No matter how many new perfumes I buy and think "this is it!" I always come back to 1000 EDP. To me, its perfection. My nose is so stupid tho - I couldn't begin to tell you what flowers were represented in this perfume - I'm always amazed people are able to identify the notes so beautifully.

My other favorite perfume is Ormonde Jayne's Frangipani Absolute. Even I can identify the magnolia and creaminess of the other white flowers.

jtd
jtd

I've tried the EDP of 1000 a couple of times, and I always love the dark topnotes, but it's the EDT that I love from start to finish. There is a creaminess to the EDP that is less distinctive than the sharpness of the EDT. This keenness binds the florals and woods tightly. The layers, really more floral than woody at the start, are densely arranged, but evenly organized. Like the crisp pages of a brand new hardcover book the first time you thumb through it.

There's just enough civet, just enough indole. They don't take the lead, they modulate the tone of the florals. They're just present enough to add complexity while not standing out as identifiably discrete notes. From the opening through drydown, 1000 is utterly coherent, and despite others' characterizations of old-school, old lady perfumery, I find it mysterious. I think the, Is it a floral? Is it a chypre? question 40 years later reflects its complexity and wonderfully baffling personality.

1000 is more upright than uptight, more toned than starched. Some perfumes shout, some whisper seductively. 1000 simply speaks very clearly and intends to be heard whether it is fully understood or not.

Indigomama
Indigomama

Just love it, both EDP and EDT. It was an impulse buy, both times and blind at that, that is, purchased online without sniffing. Enjoyed EDP immediately but took some time with EDT. Indeed, EDP is more floral while EDT is dryer and more musky-oakmossy. But that makes it more suitable for hot weather. Sillage is very decent in both cases. Well, I drive an SUV and am not much into furs, monograms and luxury but 1000 is myself :) slightly decadent, very classy and grown-up. Very wearable and office appropriate

bluemlein
bluemlein

over the years i have slapped on puddles of 1000 (various places, not all of which are considered appropriate "pulse points"). i've always immediately fallen into the sort of trance that can only be described as an ecstasy of the sort that occurs when one's limbic system goes absolutely bananas - otherwise known as "falling in love". yes, that little escapade has happened to most of us at least once: there you are sitting across from someone you've known for decades and suddenly - thwap!! twanggggg! - the arrows of love bring down another one. and they try to tell us it is just chemicals. in the brain.

well, let's consider that for a moment.

one opens a bottle of highly concentrated chemical molecules, many of which swiftly fly up one's nose where the alchemy of our electro-chemical being turns the chemicals into impulses of positive or negative charge, which are immediately paraded in a line-up. good's good and bad's bad, and if one is lucky the scents will be labelled good. but even if they escape that necessary sidestep they can sweep into the limbic system and suddenly - whoaa! - mad love, mad, bad love with nobody to fix it onto. well, it will just have to be focused on the aromas emanating from one's scented bod.

always i used to think that the edt was good. and it was. but definitely not as good as the edp.
well, when you've graduated from the t to the p, it's just a matter of time to the extrait.

and there it sat: a big hunk of burning love - let's not get carried away there! a big chunk of finely polished crystal containing an almost viscous syrup. off came the top, and what floated out right away?

nothing.

definitely a big splash was going to be required, along with some extra heat. duly anointed fifteen or so spots with liberal doses of 1000. thought of whom i considered to be extra hot, to help warm it up.

well the aromas unfurled rather languidly around me until i was swaddled in a cloud of magic. it's a walk along the mill-stream through a great park and forest, the rain has let up and the sun is coming out, the hounds are baying, small animals are scurrying through the undergrowth, the gardener's burning the cuttings and from nowhere appears a glass of chateau margaux 1961.

not a hint of this with the edt or the edp which are like a slam-bam-thank-you-ma'am by comparison. it was this experience that persuaded me not to waste any more time on them. life is too short. tomorrow is supposed to be the rapture which i will leave to those who may get their wish to be yanked out of their lives into the thin upper atmosphere by some old boy in a dress and a beard.

no, *my* rapture consists of perfume, the real thing, unadulterated by diluants. my limbic system is so much better behaved since i put aside my child's edts, my teen's edps and picked up my woman's extraits.

(c)2011 daisy morant

truffles
truffles

Sampling this today. To me it smells just like Agent Provocateur Eau Emotionelle (wonder if AP copied?) but drying down to a soapier, base that is slightly reminiscent of Clinique Aromatics Elixer. Not grabbing me greatly this one.

Arabelle
Arabelle

Jean Patou 1000 is a very classy, ladylike, and feminine fragrance. It reminds me of the most beautiful flowers in a fresh tropical paradise. It's as though all the most desirable floral notes ever known to man were gathered to create this luxurious perfume. They say it's called 1000 because that's the number of flowers it takes to create an ounce of this perfume. 1000 is softer than Joy but is no less pretty nor desirable. It can be worn to the office or on special dates. You'll love the lasting power and feminine allure of this classic fragrance.

blissfull
blissfull

I've been in love with this too along with Joy, since I was a kid.
Beautiful...just beautiful, and makes me more confidence and more happy with everything.

I just love this too.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to find it in my country.

Stereotyped-Luxury at its best. Nothing that I will ever enjoy or appreciate. In the openig I get rose, violet, fruits and maybe jasmine. After a few minutes the rose note gets dominant for a while to settle down again camouflaging with other ingredients such as patchouli amber and sandalwood (this is the best part). There's a lot going on here as 1000 is quite a complex composition but as I'm not into this kind of scents I got immediatley bored and didn't pay much attention. It's loud, sweet and has a "perfumery" feeling I can't stand. I get the comparisons made with Mitsouko - even if the Guerlain's perfume is way more distinctive - but I don't get the ones with Gray Flennel or Farenheit.

Sorry folks, but I prefer discreet elegance to "furs-and-monogrammed-purses".

Rating: 8.5/10 for its relevance
6.5/10 for my personal taste

Lady Love
Lady Love

(Edp Review)

It opens as something I absolutely love and find really unique, Tangerine and Violet!! Jum!! .... but then I detect those Geranium notes.. and this changed my mind..

I love the amount of civet in ''Joy'', but in this fragrance is combined with an important base of Patchouli, sandalwood, and Oakmoss, and i don't find this very appealing.

Anyway is a interesting fragrance, very complex, but it's not for me.

elegantpasha
elegantpasha

My mom has a half full bottle of this great fragance, i love how it smells,very very Elegant, its the ladies version of the Santos de Cartier Pour Homme, i love it, my mom uses this fragance in very special events, like weddings,ópera etc etc and always with a mink coat :D

corvus
corvus

There are already enough reviews here to get a sense of what this perfume IS, but as a lifelong FAN....My numero uno..I'd add a couple of notes to newcomers:

GIVE IT TIME...it's a very complex scent, wear it around the store for a while, go have coffee, and TRY not to smell it until it blooms alot.(at least 30 minutes). It can smell like bugsprau or even "turned" when first applied... a bit like Clinic Elixer...(echhh but..ahhhhhh...when it fades!
It IS a chameleon..and it might smell good on some who have trouble with newer synthetics. It's definitely old school, but not really old lady(at least I didn't think so at twenty something, and I still don't).

and finally that mystery scent that some people have alluded to isn't "smoke" but I suspect you could smoke it...It's Tobacco, I'm quite sure, and if you smell an old perfume box that the flacon comes in, the tabacco smell is the last thing..to go(with maybe a little leather, and faded iris. )I think it smells like freshly minted money in a really fine wallet, left in a beautiful lady's purse during an opera. (probably Mozart)

guest_Teewriter
guest_Teewriter

In my experience you get more floral notes from the EDP. The EDT comes off more musky-oakmoss flavored. A little "meaner" smelling...if that makes any sense.

I enjoy both.

This is my favorite Patou! It has Hay in it and I love Hay sooo much!! I love Joy too, very much so, but this is NUMERO UNO!

adele l
adele l

I love joy which doesn't smell dated on me. Unfortunately, 1000 smells too old-fashioned and aldehydic on my skin. The powder overwhelms the flowers for me so i'd recommend testing this first

Little Cooling -

This would actually wear well as an EDT; although, I'd test the EDP in order to get a real feel for the crunchy, oily scent of osmanthus inclusion. It adds a deep, dry, "whispery" powdery-oiliness to it, bringing to mind "Arpege" by Lanvin. The EDT showcases the crisper, smoother elements of "1000", so it's all about taste (fresh, brisk and modern or warm and nostalgic? "1000" can be both, depending upon extrait concentration).

guest_A. Rose

There's something so cozy and comforting about this scent, even if it does smell a little like a dried-floral bouquet, tweed jackets, dried grasses, the forest floor. I do get the "tea" element that many of you have already mentioned, but there's something very dry, crisp and sheer about "1000" that keeps it from smelling like a musty teabag or overwhelming, floral bouquet. It's almost like...spicy, astringent, eucalyptus and rosebud potpurri. Dried herbs for tea. Gingerbread with a cup of Earl Grey. Bringing to mind the tweedy, "Horsey" set.

I also agree with the idea of it being "painted" in Kelly green, browns, olives--even mustards, sepia, taupe; it really does evoke the fashion sentiment of the the 70's, with it's sweeping pantsuits, leather boots, close-cropped sweaters and clay-powder makeup. The idea of stripping things down to basics, with a strong, natural influence; yet, integrating a hint of the synthetic by including the sheer, smooth texture of polyester, rayon and nylon.

"1000" would be on a philosophical, reserved but playful woman, gazing out the window of her country estate, as twilight comes and sets trees in contrast against a darkening, evening sky. There's a sense of quiet, solitude, reflection. You smell mosses, bark and leaves moistening but not growing dank, while lilies dew-over and give-off a hint of their fleshy, cool perfume. And while not sinister in nature, there is something slightly "off" about "1000" that makes it provocative and even sentimental, wistful; this celebration of decay, of aged grande estates and a dying aristocracy---a hint of "The Draughtman's Contract" or "Belle du Jour" about it. For an idea of the style of this scent, "1000" would hang with these "friends": "Fleurissimo" by Creed, "Mitsouko" by Guerlain, "Coco" and "Bois des Isles" by Chanel and "Emeraude" by Coty. A fantastic and fascinating fragrance that would wear beautifully on both men and women. Very intellectual--but with a hint of smarty-pants tease to it.

Little Cooling
Little Cooling

So I really really want this one...but what would u fragrantica readers choose? The edt or the edp version? I know it depends on what I like to wear...but I like both edt and edp versions..but what do u like best and what will u choose?

uninco
uninco

Oh my... I was expecting 1000 flowers, but I've got an old bouquet, which somebody has forgot to throw away and it was staying in the water more then one week... It is so sad.

Gosha
Gosha

I agree that 1000 is classy and sophisticated, but it is also very "old style". Very complex and very, very flowery, heady and strong, I can't pick up any individual notes, but while the opening is quite fresh, bold and flamboyant, the dry down is somewhat musty/musky sweetish and even more "old fashioned". Although I disagree with the "age categorization" (i.e. something is suitable for 20-30 or over the 50 age group etc.), I would say that this fragrance certainly requires certain level of "strong fragrances'" appreciation (not necessarily age related, but something that requires experience, I would say...). Thus while I would not yearn to wear this scent very often, I could see that every now and then I might feel like sticking on some high ELEGANT! heels, chic scarf and elaborate hairstyle and splashing myself with 1000.
Comparing this with Sublime I must say that this is much more "difficult" scent. While it lacks the earthy, yet sharp and jolly element of Sublime, this is even more complex and flower orientated. Maybe it's those 20 years between those two fragrances that (for me) make Sublime so much "easier" to love.

Sissi
Sissi

I think there's been a misconception
with the name 1000 meaning One Thousand
Flowers to me i'v dectect A heap of jasmine Patchouli orris root osmanthus
rose floating with green tea.
it's more of an earthy scent then elegance or urbane it also has an menthol scent collecting herbs for tea or Pharmasutical perposes like in chinese
medicine e.t.c it's a very organic scent.

Jean Patou 1000 opens crisp and kelly green and dries down to a powdery brown chypre. In between, flowers of several kinds abound in a bright bouquet supported on one side by abundant green leaves and on the other by straw-like vetiver, chewy patchouli, amber-tinged wood, and musky dark civet along with a touch of oakmoss.

Happily, the civet in 1000 is very measured, in contrast to my experience with JOY, so I'm now wishing that as my last great blind buy from the house of Patou I had selected this one instead. 1000 can definitely be worn in public without raising eyebrows, even liberally applied, but the edt is easily as strong as what is usually bottled as edp. My sample vial will likely last a few more wears, but 1000 is definitely FB-worthy!

I am impressed with the creations of Jean Kerleo, of which 1000 is one.

nyoka
nyoka

I love this but,I like heady,strong scents.I also love iris scents.Get a sample first.To me its expensive.

carlaNYC
carlaNYC

Joy smells ghastly on me, almost acrid, but 1000 works with my chemistry. I think a chypre floral describes it best. It dries down to an inviting mossy spiciness on me, without the vanilla that's in far too many perfumes.

guest_Frenchie-Loveday
guest_Frenchie-Loveday

I bought my bottle of 1000 at a summer fete, thought it looked pretty good and smelt quite delicious, but then I love Arpege and Shocking, amongst others so it made sense...this is a wonderfully rich perfume in the same language of the other two lovely perfume, yes its not modern (thank god!) it does not stink of chemicals which all the modern stuff does. Its wonderful at the first stage, when warm its even more wonderful and finally in its last stages its still quite lovely. But of course it all depends upon the chemistry of you, Channel no 5 smells like cats pee on me, dislike it intensly.

allexa27
allexa27

I appologise to all lovers of this frag,but for me is more than awful.Very old fashion.It makes me very sick/....
It smells like piss on me blah...

Metherlence
Metherlence

Strong and a little bitter. Mature compared to sweet fragrances.

Lime909
Lime909

I ADORE this. I wore it on my wedding, but only from a small sample bottle - I have never bought it, due to it being extremely expensive... although I truly love the smell.

Aalia
Aalia

The top notes are bright and lively.
The middle notes are a such a mixture of florals that combine to make a heady, full scent with the base notes. It is hard to write an analysis of the notes for me here, because I am not familiar with osmanthus, and there is such a variety in harmony here...so, I will write an impression of the scent-It is floral, earthy, beautiful, strong, forceful, stable, pungent, powerful, intriguing, intuitive, forthright, beguiling, sultry, sexy, shadowy, noveau and historical. This perfume could easily be misinterpreted by and unsuited wearer. Itś quite a classic, yet risky to give as a gift. Itś fantastic and incredible..enjoy in small doses. Samples are available to purchase on the web, wich is a good way to go, it being so very pricey....

Smells like an older perfume without being antique-y. Not as loud as most 70s scents, but definitely has that older style base to it, with the civet and sandal and patchouli. Floral top, vintage base. Not for little girls at all.

glitteralex
glitteralex

Ths osmanthus here is intoxicating. Even as a young woman, I smelled this and knew that it defined me, in the future at least. The elemets combine to create a rosy honeyed leather effect. The ingredients are top quality, and there is no indication of synthetic notes.

Absolutely divine; it is my "desert island" fragrance.

addition 09/09: I got a distinct smoky note in the heart today, first ever, maybe this perfume really is a chameleon....

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

Of my most recent test batch (which included 1000, Bandit, Habanita, YSL Nu and Ava Luxe Biba), this one has been my favorite.

I much prefer this one to Patou's Sublime, which smells a little too sharp for my nose. 1000 is soft and smooth. I could see this one surpassing Joy for me if I get my hands on a bottle.

I would describe 1000 as a chypre floral, rather than a straight floral. The fragrance is not at all sweet, and smells very green and slightly dry, thanks to the vetiver and oakmoss. It smells almost like dried grass and dried flowers, with a hint of spice.

This scent is very classy and sophisticated. Very grown-up and slightly sexy, too. Perfect for a woman in her 30's or 40's. I know I'll be purchasing a full bottle in the near future and it's going to be worth every precious penny.

Nuppu
Nuppu

This one is strange. It reminds me cup of black jasmine tea with milk, earthly but still noticeable jasmin, and osmanthus swirling around. Odd.

1000 by Jean Patou 4.01 out of 5 based on 306 ratings and 74 user reviews

1000 by Jean Patou Eau de Parfum Jewel Spray
1000 by Jean Patou Eau de Parfum Jewel Spray
1000 by Jean Patou Eau de Parfum Jewel Spray 2.5 oz
1000 by Jean Patou Eau de Parfum Jewel Spray 2.5 oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Jean Patou 1000 fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Jean Patou 1000, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify 1000 by Jean Patou. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of 1000 by Jean Patou represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.