Designers » I-K » Floral « Groups

Joy Jean Patou for women

Joy Jean Patou for women Pictures Joy Jean Patou for women Pictures Joy Jean Patou for women Pictures Joy Jean Patou for women Pictures Joy Jean Patou for women Pictures Joy Jean Patou for women Pictures Joy Jean Patou for women Pictures

JOY was created with a lot of care, just like the most expensive Haute-Cotture dress, and thus it was extraordinary and timeless. It was presented by Jean Patou as 'the world's most expensive perfume' right at the time of The Great Depression in 1929, when the market of luxury fashion crushed and Jean Patou's house could survive only through the perfumes.

JOY is created of rare flowers in unique concentration of 10600 flowers of jasmine and 28 dozens of roses which adorn the exceptional heart of this perfume. With the time JOY attains enormous success and became the second best selling perfume of all times (the first best-selling is the legendary Chanel N°5).

Intense and luscious with alluring floral composition, JOY was created by Henri Alméras, who made its top notes irresistibly delightful. The composition starts with fragrant jilt tuberose, luscious rose, ylang-ylang blossom, aldehydes, sweet and mouthwatering pear, and green notes. The heart beats passionately in pure and sweetly fresh jasmine notes, seductive and balmy spicy and darkened iris root. The base whiffs with sensual musk, warm and milky-powdery sandalwood, with mild musky civet tones.

The bottle, of simple and straight lines with a golden thread around its neck, was designed by the architect Louis Süe in 30ml, 50ml and 100ml sizes for Eau de Parfume and 30ml and 50ml sizes for Eau de Toilette. Regardelss of its simplicity, the bottle leaves an impression of luxury and hints that its content is one of the best perfumes of the world. In 1932 Jean Patou designed a small black and red bottle in which this perfume is also presented.

Joy was launched in 1930. The nose behind this fragrance is Henri Almeras.

Aldehydes Tuberose Green Notes Peach Ylang-Ylang Rose

L'Aimant

Joy Fragrance Reviews

SumoTigerCat
SumoTigerCat

Joy was to the 30's through the 70's what Amouage is to the most recent decades. Reviled by many, but also adored, I say that one can never have enough Joy in one's life. Yes, it is animalic, and it can be slightly unsettling upon initial application. But... wait a moment, and let the beast settle. As gorgeous as something that fell to earth from the heavens! Incomparable jasmine and rose. Of course the older versions are what I speak of here. It is what it is, and to me, that is a Joy!

magnolia_xx
magnolia_xx

I am reviewing the new version, not the vintage one.
This is surely a very nice and elegant fragrance but, according to my husband (and I agree completely) it does not really stand out... It somehow lacks of character.
I have read of many of you smelling lots of civet and animalic notes in it; I think my nose must have an issue because I cannot really smell any!! :-(
All I can smell is a very green and floral scent, lots of jasmine and lily of the valley, with some rose.... It feels like dipping my nose in a bunch of lily of the valley flowers, just picked and still dewy. Very pleasant and clean, almost soapy, but not very sexy. A sort of Diorissimo, but without any fizziness.
I think it can be a perfect perfume for a work meeting, or to go to the cinema: it cannot really bother anybody... But maybe it smells too polite for an evening out with your boyfriend :)

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

NAUGHTY! NAUGHTY! NAUGHTY! I wish the beautiful facets of this perfume were as predominant on my skin as they have been for others.

I recently acquired a small bottle of vintage Joy EDP and it compells me to recount this story:

I had gone to Thailand on vacation to visit my family about 15 years ago. While I was there I visited a zoo and was fascinated by a majestic male tiger in a cage. Safety isn't a huge matter of concern in that part of the world and the tiger was confined in an enclosure with wide-set railing. I stood by the railing watching this magnificent tom cat pace back and forth in front of me. Then before I knew it, he about-faced, set his tail erect in the air and sprayed his pee on me in all it's imperial skank. For the rest of the day I walked in the tropical humidity smelling of acrid musty he-cat ass.

woodlandwalk, I dig your reviews on animalic notes, and enthusiastically agree--there is a definite maleness to Joy, at least as far as it reads on my skin and to my nose.

And jht4060, you capture what I smell so succinctly.

I do detect some beautiful floral notes, but unfortunately, they have been territorially claimed by bouquet d'he-cat.

Occasionally the wind blows the other way and a sharp, clean green note is able to surface. I really like how it pierces the civet and makes it somewhat intriguingly tolerable with nuances of aldehydes, lily and musk.

Joy is most definitely challenging for me as an archetypal civet perfume. Like all naughty things though, this fragrance intrigues me and keeps me coming back for more. As complicated as this relationship is, it's one that I'd like to retain.

Majesty
Majesty

First of all I need to point out that I have never tried the old version of Joy. I know the latest reformulated version in the white package. I am always curious on civet scents as I love civet as a note. Joy starts as an explosion of aldehydes and animalistic civet , I really enjoyed the opening . After a while the flowers join in and civet is tamed . I could clearly smell jasmine and a hint of rose. That's the stage when it starts to smell like it urine for a few minutes . The dry down is light flower slightly musky while civet is almost absent . The lasting power is quite good but the silage is hardly there. To me Joy is a skin scent , beautiful and sophisticated .

PropTart77
PropTart77

Somehow I managed to score a 1 oz bottle of this perfume (vintage EDP - maybe 1980's or earlier) on eBay for $15 - I figured not a bad price, and if I hate it, then what's $15? This, along with Annick Goutal's Ce Soir Un Jamias, may be one of the lushest rose/florals I have ever encountered. I find it to be ultra feminine and very much a femme fatale kind of scent. A little certainly goes a long way! The initial spray has an abundance of rose and jasmine, with the underlying warmth of sandalwood and earthy-ness of iris root. With the dry down comes the lily of the valley and more jasmine, while the showiness of the rose fades to more subtle levels, although I find it to be still very much present. I am not all that familiar with the various incarnations of this perfume, being rather new to the whole collecting thing, but I am definitely glad to have this one in my arsenal!

windharp
windharp

I bought the pure parfum extrait recently and what I received was a shocking disappointment. Compared to my mother's bottle nearly three decades old now--the standard formulation--the business transaction could almost be considered fraudulent. It is not the same fragrance. I gave it several trials; the effect was always the same. Uncomplex and unchanging over two hours, Joy parfum was nothing more than a sickly sweet, musklike odor so unpleasant to me I washed it off when I realized there would be no transformation. Even after this it lingered on my skin, no less odious in its half-life. How ironic. The lovely perfumes seem to last little more than a few minutes; here, a bad one perseveres for hours after resolute attempts to banish it from one's presence. Nordstrom mercifully accepted its return. What has happened to the industry over the last ten years is shameful. Alas! What was once Joy has become now merely Cloy.

Inamorata
Inamorata

Joy it's been a super classic throughout the years. This perfume was created oh-so-long ago, but it's still modern, still amazing and still classic. It's a perfume that is filled with jasmine, May rose and civet notes, that I absolutely love.

Beckylynn8881
Beckylynn8881

I tried this for the first time yesterday before going out to lunch. At first, I got an overpowering blast of civet which initially worried me, but after about 10 minutes the civet faded into the background and let the roses and the jasmine come through. I kept imagining elite, wealthy, sophisticated women from the 1930's wearing this. However, I was expecting it to last longer than it did, which was about 3-4 hours on me, and the silage was moderate. With the description and the story behind this perfume, I was expecting something a little more powerful. Very lovely though!

sanzioonofre

'Dôme épais, le jasmin à la rose s'assemble'. If a perfume could be a song, Joy would be the 'Flower duet' from Lakmé by Léo Délibes. As my vintage bottle of Joy parfum is finished, I decided to buy the new Edp version. The Edp maintain the same Joy's minimalist DNA. A quite indolic jasmine and non-sweet lemony rose of mai form the heart of the composition but in a very transparent way if compared to the extract. The top note is quite clean and fruity, maybe a fleshy peachy aldehyde with abstract flowers. On me it lasted no more than a couple of hours. I cannot smell sandalwood, civet or musk at all in the base notes, just a rosy, sour-and-sweet, salty, soft animalic note of ambergris. I expected something stronger for an Eau de Parfum but I understand that a fragrance like the original Joy could not survive in these days due its high cost. Joy is also very daring for today's tastes due its indolic (should I say quite fecal?) qualities. You really must dare to wear the extract of perfume in public. It is my signature scent and will be forever in my collection.

RitaLMc
RitaLMc

This was my signature scent until I discovered Sortilege by Le Galion (the original). Joy is a beautiful fragrance. I don't believe in any scent being "old fashioned". A scent is a scent. How can they possibly be "modern" or "old fashioned"? Joy will never be "old fashioned" or "modern" - it just is what it is: a gorgeous perfume. I still wear it once in a while. But Sortilege is now my signature scent. It's like heaven in a bottle.

russian.red
russian.red

i was really looking forward to smell this, and when i finally reached the jean patou boutique in Paris i went straight to this one.i could noot be more dissapointed..
this perume does NOT match with my chemistry....it smelled awful on me!like cat piss... Maybe is for the very few..

Jadis4742
Jadis4742

I ordered a decant of Joy (the newest formula) even though I knew it wouldn't fit me or my style. You have to try the classics. And this is a classic - on me, it is all big, big roses with a mild undertone of musk and jasmine. It's quite lovely, actually. But for me, it is a tad overpowering - and this was just a drop of decant, not a full spray! - and I already have some wonderful rose scents in my cabinet. Maybe one day I'll indulge, or maybe get it as a present, but for now, I will keep my tiny little decant and be satisfied.

ginadantas
ginadantas

Once I had it... and I want it again!! Fantastic, classic... Perfect!

LordD
LordD

I get more rose than jasmine when just sprayed. A very dirty, juicy, greenish, wet rose. As it settles down, the rose gets some jasmine colouring, and eventually the jasmine note really comes through, with only slightly more prominence than the rose. Quite aldehydic and heady. Mature and aristocratic in a decadent way.

cmmando.ando
cmmando.ando

This is a perfume I had coveted for some time before I purchased it, expecting to love it. I actually deeply dislike it, not quite to the point of washing it off but somewhere near! To me it is heavy, cloying and overly fussy... a little like my mother's Cinnabar by Estee Lauder in the sense that it seems like the perfume is wearing you rather than the it settling into the skin. A statement perfume that is somewhat 'old lady' to my nose and headache inducing aldehydes. One that will be 'for sale' soon...

LaDomna
LaDomna

I just bought a sample of vintage EDT... I was really hoping for a civet bomb but one hour in this is jasmine-rose-muguet on me, the three flowers I hate the most in perfumery. So unfortunately I cannot love it at this stage. I hope the drydown brings out more civet...

gallian
gallian

It's a shame that this fragrance is today much misunderstood, I find it very nice.

Shoshi
Shoshi

This is a very floral perfume with a touch of civet.
I have the EDT from the late 90s or early 2000's. I'm sure it's different now.

I like this scent. It's interesting that it smells different every time you smell it. Somtimes I think of it as a predominately jasmine scent, lately it smells very rosey to me... (I know it has both jasmine and rose notes.)

HALEY-SUE
HALEY-SUE

I never indulged in this until I was quite a way up the ladder in my career. For one, I could buy 2 bottles of something else for the same price and it never left me with the impression of something I had to have. I finally found it for about $60 bucks /oz and bought it.
Oh well. I tried. I don't believe I've ever smelled it on someone else, but it was just 'rose' on me. Oh it was a blended rose,a musky rose, but still too much rose. Had to give it away. I'm sure it's just my peculiar chemistry.

kl99
kl99

I believe JOY is a sort of MIRROR of THOUGHTS.
what you have in your mind appears.
do you think: jasmine? Then jasmine is the prominent note. Do you think: Rose? Rose is the prominent note. Do you think lily of the valley...? etc.. etc.
Well I'm joking but I mean, it's happen to me smelling this scent and find everytime a different main note. Sure is well balanced, and that also could explain why so different and interesting comments and points of view about JOY, it seems that everyone has a opposite opinion about this classic perfume. Somebody say is a dark sensual bad girl fragrance. Others find spring and elegance inside the bottle.
I'm agree with almost all.
I have a vintage 1984 eau de toilette.
I don't detect such animal notes. Except as support of flowers. I sense some pretty dark flowers, maybe cold flowers, or serious, but to me still a classic soapy-make up so french fragrance, very refined.
Yes, jasmine appear prominent since the first instant. But I would classify this creation as a deep Lily of the valley perfume, immediately surrounded by rose, jasmine, green nectar, light orris wax, a fugitive civet. A timeless fragrance. Not old woman at all!

edit.: now I know. Maybe I'm candid. I Only notice fat floral notes because I'm pure and innocent. A friend of mine smelling my wrist said: "it Smell like a beast. a dog maybe" here the civet!

happyscent
happyscent

Joy - heavy floral; if you like bouquet of flowers that is perfectly executed this is for you; smells dated to me and frankly this is the favorite perfume of my grandmother

Cap_Kat
Cap_Kat

Everything a perfume should be—beautiful, classic, unforgettable. For a woman who knows what beauty is and isn’t afraid to reveal her own. Rose done to perfection, harmoniously dancing the tango with the other notes. The scent of the brave and bold; unafraid to be beautiful and sensual—the wearer of Joy possesses the courage to be herself. On a personal note—my Mother, who was very loving, intelligent, eccentric, witty, elegant and gorgeous, wore Joy by Jean Patou. My love of perfume all began with my Mother and her absolute love of Joy—she prized it above all other perfumes. She has passed on but I feel fortunate that Joy can help me remember her.

HeavyBeatsUK
HeavyBeatsUK

Beautiful! Bulgarian Rose x

Southamk
Southamk

Alas, I never had the privilege of smelling the vintage version of this fragrance, but for Christmas 2013, I treated myself to the EDP gift set from Nordstrom that came with a fabulous Joy body lotion, and then a .5 ounce bottle of Joy Parfum. These newer versions smell very nice, but I have to wonder how much better Joy was before such strict restrictions came to be, limiting its original ingredients. I am sad that so many vintage fragrances have had to be reformulated due to IFRA restrictions. I always wanted to smell this fragrance! It intrigued me that Jackie Kennedy loved and wore this fragrance, and that a bottle of Joy was found on the dresser in the bedroom of Marilyn Monroe when she passed.

nyalta77
nyalta77

My review is for my bottle which I obtained in 2005.

"Joy is infectious!"

The "infectiousness" is what I can imagine Henri was aiming for, in my opinion. An assault on the senses.
Sillage: Formidable, Longevity: Endless
In it's hey-day I believe it would have been easily, if not instantly, recognized!

The magic of " JOY "?? The floral notes are delivering their most appealing qualities! For me, Joy Edt is in fact a Floral aldehyde/green fragrance.

Cleanliness, freshness and sweetness in the opening. Aldehyde's,(peach) and green notes intensify the sharp green floral nature's of lily of the valley and jasmine, and as well the "mentholated facets" of tuberose...The rose is also emitting lemony freshness! Not forgetting sandalwood is lurking about too, harmonizing with the "jade themed team"! Keep off the grass thanks!!
Eventually, they resign themselves to loitering in the 'green room' so to speak... The facets that is, not the notes. Quiet in the back please!!
At the heart, Indolic Jasmine and Tuberose, pandering to the carnality of the fragrance...Orchid and Orris root's powdery offerings enhancing the romance of Rose and the aphrodisiac qualities of Ylang-ylang = "Poetry in Motion".
And for the Finale, musk and civet complete the "Sonnet"... Previously, languidly lounging in the background, they make an enticing entrance in the dry down, creamery goodness...Sandalwood enters the 'Soiree' once more in a warming, enveloping capacity ....Milky tuberose is on the dance-floor too!!

The effects the notes have on one another is what makes this perfume "joyous"!
" JOY " Edt is ever changing in form, like a chameleon, creating a scent worth admiration and most importantly, I feel, a standing ovation!!

Boston2013
Boston2013

I dislike this perfume, intently. It has been called, at one point, the most expensive and beloved perfume in the world, and it's really sad because it makes me smell just like a dead animal!

Melvinmilk
Melvinmilk

I always thought, if you could "walk" into the movie, "What ever happened to Baby Jane"...it would smell exactly like JOY. A little scary, dark....a bit insane.

I have no doubt that this movie was based on my crazy aunts, who I loved more than anyone!

True Story.
When I was a young girl.....
Kind but crazy Aunt Catherine told me that "JOY" was the perfume of "Bad" girls! She winked at me, when I told her I loved it, then called me a little hussy!

Well Aunt Catherine, if JOY is for "Bad" girls....why is it so expensive?
She said.....because "Bad" girls have rich boy friends who buy it for them....as long as they keep being "Bad"! .

I remember she said this as though it were common knowledge! She even added that she dated a very elegant man, who told her that when he smelled JOY on a woman it was proof that she was a "Bad" girl! She also told me that if I put Vaseline on my face I would become the bearded lady! I truly adored her!

Crazy Aunt Catherine's sister known as Annoying Nina...who was almost as crazy as Catherine, told me this story.

.Nina remembered playing with her wealthy childhood friend who took her into her beautiful mothers bedroom, and right before her eye's stood a huge bottle of JOY . It sat in the middle of an exquisite mirrored vanity fit for a Queen!
The girls put on powder and lipstick followed by the forbidden JOY...only to be scolded by one of her friends "many visiting Uncle's"!

Well Aunt Nina, I asked...if she was beautiful, and wealthy and lived in a beautiful apartment, with a beautiful vanity, and a beautiful daughter .......and she wore JOY, what made her a "Bad" girl?

Annoying Nina then replied "well she was a single mother living in luxury, made possible by a long string of so called "Uncle's" who made frequent visits to her fabulous apartment.

Years latter, I went to to visit Crazy Catherine, who was staying with Annoying Nina.
I walked into the house and heard them in the bedroom. I was shocked to find Annoying Nina standing in her panty's and bra, dousing herself with a huge bottle of JOY! She was twirling an singing ..
I started laughing, just as Crazy Catherine walks in, tipsy wine glass in hand totally naked except for a hat and a belt! I said...Nina you must be drunk.....and Nina replied Yup, I'm drunk naked and finally having fun, it's really true what they say about JOY!

Bad girls really do have all the fun!
Catherine then gave me the bottle of JOY, and said....hope u have as much fun in life as we did kid!
We drank wine all night, as I hung on to every word of each bizarre magical story!
The room filled with the odd scent of JOY!
It was a true "What ever happened to Baby Jane" moment, that I will never forget!

OlMagnolia
OlMagnolia

When I smell Joy I think of my mother coming home from a party - the beautiful rustle of her dress, the soft scent of her makeup (the inside of her purse smelled amazing), the smell of cigarettes and fur coat = JOY. I can't really carry it off. I've tried but I feel like I'm playing grownup (and I'm 55!). But I dab some on when I'm at home and all those wonderful warm feelings come back to me.

Mortazuma
Mortazuma

When I was a little girl, doing what typical little girls love doing, (rummaging through their mother's make-up drawer) I saw her few select perfumes sitting neatly in an illuminated glass encasement. My eyes felt the most drawn to this one bottle that looked similar to a little black heart with a red top.

I worded out the words...Parfum and thought oh, something for me to smell! I carefully opened the bottle, thinking I better be careful or I may spill it and get into trouble. Well, I sort of did...but it wasn't for spilling a single precious drop of it at that very moment, it was for releasing a genie from its container.

That was the first time where I experienced something similar to astral projection, I closed my eyes and inhaled the complex and luxurious aroma. The genie took me where I saw a paradise of rich velvety blooms, roses and jasmines sweating from the fine mist of a nearby waterfall and warmed by the glorious golden rays of the sun. I saw bees catching and carrying every droplet away to many little jars, like the one I held in my hand.

When I re-opened my eyes, I realized that I had pushed the bottle opening up my little 8 yr old nostril. It was pure magic, I couldn't get enough of the scent! I took the bottle out, and with a sheepish grin I wiped it off as well as I could and inadvertently spilled a little bit on my shirt. Knowing I would undoubtedly get caught, I ran over to the laundry room and threw my shirt in the washer and changed shirt. I passed by my Great-Grandmother and she gave me that knowing look. I told her what I did and she just shook her head and told me not to do it again.

But I did.

Again...

and again...

and again.

I fondly remember this perfume as a moment in time when perfumes used to mean looking forward to growing up...not backwards like the way perfumes are today. Fragrances these days seem to want to infantilize you somewhat, making you fear age and hold on to things that weren't meant to be held on to with bleeding white knuckled hands...youth. Not with this parfum, this kind of scent made you want to EMBRACE that age where you become sophisticated, to indulge in the finer things in life and actually appreciate them for their value, not their price tag. It required refinement, success in life, maturity and JOY in how far you've come.

That is why I tend to overlook the ones making comments about the "old lady" or "dated" smell. I don't know about you dahlings but I am looking FORWARD to being a great smelling "old lady", and I hope this one shall be waiting for me if we don't end up blowing ourselves up first.

FashionSavvyDolly
FashionSavvyDolly

Love this scent. It's so complex and fabulous at any age. I think as long as you are secure in who you are, you can pull it off. I really hate that this is classified as a "mature" fragrance. It's definitely much more opulent and refined compared to most modern perfumes on the market but definitely not old. I opt to wear this fragrance during nights out and special occasions when I want to add some extra glam...

sandrajj
sandrajj

Divine!!! Santa brought me a nice bottle of this for Christmas, after a very broad hint from me: Nordstrom has it for $190 (the EdP) and a gift body cream along side. Lovely box, I might add. Free shipping and free returns, always.
Look no further!

MsFCAS
MsFCAS

I miss my Joy. It's a classic womanly scent, very floral and feminine, old-school.

I bought the smallest bottle of the perfume (not EDP) duty free on a trip back from Europe, and the scent held up for years. The bottle was beautiful too, a special edition black bottle. It unfortunately broke during a move. I haven't replaced it. Maybe I've moved on. It was always more of a special occasion scent for me.

At least my moving boxes smelled good!

Jovette Paquin
Jovette Paquin

I don't like... May be the civet? :(

lois6600
lois6600

Joy was given to me in 1979, I hated it and gave it to a girlfriend of mine because she said she loved it. I think it smelled terrible on her too. It was in a beautiful bottle though. Usually cheap perfumes give me headaches and this wasn't/isn't cheap and it still gave me a headache. Ouch!!!

MsDana
MsDana

I remember when I was a small child, a conversation my grandmother had with one of my aunts, I do not remember the details of the conversation, but I remember my grandmother saying this "and she wore JOY perfume" while rolling her eyes and taking her fingers to pinch her nose as if to say P.U. It was such a strange thing to see my grandmother doing that & it has always been stuck in my mind. I am a huge fan of the classic perfumes. I love to collect them, but I am hesitant to purchase Joy due to that. I think the note my GM disliked the most was probably the Civet, I like Civet but not if it overpowers the other notes & according to reviewer votes it seems Civet heavy, so I probably would not like it either, but I would love to try it for myself and see. I just do not want to blind buy it, and unfortunately there is nowhere I can get a sample.

Edee
Edee

The new version of this colognes is down right rank. They have totally ruined this perfume. I don't think many people are going to buy it and keep it. They are going to throw it right out into the garbage or give it away.

Jitterbug Perfume Lover
Jitterbug Perfume Lover

Jean Patou Joy
People of my grandparent’s generation, survivors of the Great Depression, have both a depth and a fire in their eyes that other generations do not have. The depth comes from having lived almost a decade in starvation, living hand to mouth, doing anything to survive, possibly even selling your soul. It’s a depth that comes from staring death in the face day after day, not knowing if it was to be your last day. Those who survived, who lived through this darkness, almost never speak of it, but in their eyes, you can see a fire. It is the fire of determination, an eternal flame, like a phoenix rising out of the ashes.

Though many people struggle with the exact definition of “Joy”, almost everyone agrees that the opposite of Depression is Joy. It is so powerful that a sublimely beautiful perfume such as Patou’s Joy would be created in such dark times. It must have been a reprieve to have something so beautiful in the midst of such darkness, like a torch for the soul, a touchstone to remember that the darkness doesn’t always have to consume you if you can hold on to hope and find moments of joy to celebrate.

By some miracle, a bottle of the vintage parfum, in the black bottle with the red cap, complete with the seal and gold threads intact, came to me for such a low price, I thought it was a joke, or possibly counterfeit. I now know that it was a gift from the Universe, in the midst of my darkest hour. I had quite literally been praying for joy, when this parfum came to me, as an answer to my prayer. I’ve held on to this bottle for so long, afraid to open it, afraid that I would be unworthy of such a gift. Today, just before Thanksgiving, I realized that I have so much to be grateful for, and I opened the seal and anointed myself. Now I understand everything, and I am grateful for the gift of this fragrance, and all it represents, and how joyful it’s made me. I am grateful that I have been blessed – not only with this joyful miracle in a black bottle, but at how my eyes too have both a depth and a fire, grateful that I have survived, grateful for my life, grateful that I have held on to hope and found moments of joy to celebrate. Thank you, Patou, for reminding me of that.

lalondem
lalondem

someone wrote a few months ago "it's a sunny, happy scent that is fresh and vibrant!" WHAT? Even if I really liked this perfume I wouldn't think of sunshine when wearing it. More darkness and death.....Mine smells like old perfume that maybe wasn't stored properly and has turned....Anyone else think this?

jht4060
jht4060

Jean Patou Joy is profound and unique - it is to civet as Piguet Bandit is to leather. Sure, there is plenty of indolic white flower and some waxy aldehyde in there too, but the civet to my nose is overpowering. I like civet but Joy is almost too much. The key I think is to spray lightly, very lightly - my first time round I sprayed with my usual abandon and nearly keeled over. Get a civet sample from Perfumer's Apprentice (or rather its synthetic recreation), smell it once and you will never forget it - a hard to describe dirty sharp musky urinous smell that is strangely attractive. If you subtract jasmine from Joy you won't be far off either. Civet nicely complements the indolic aspect of jasmine, tuberose, and narcissus when used in moderation. I think I like Joy and there is no doubt it is amazing and historic, but it is a stretch to describe it as refined or elegant or innocent or sunny, though many use those words. I would say something more like fiercely animalic, bordering on raunchy. Dorothy Parker and Mae West through and through. I think of it, not as "Joy", but as "The Joy of Being a Lion". On the other hand, maybe there is a highly individual reaction to civet - when I asked my mother to smell Perfumer's Apprentice civet blend she said "it smells nice". The very last word that comes to my mind.

As part of my work (geneticist) I have studied olfactory receptors, the proteins that bind to odorants in neurons in your nasal epithelium and start the process that we call smell. We (humans, actually the entire ape lineage) are notably heterogeneous in the complement of functional receptors that we express. Each person is missing a functional gene for about 1-2% of all our olfactory receptors - and here is the interesting part, that 1-2% is *different* in different people (in technical terms -- a hint to skip to the end of the parentheses far below -- many of our 250 or so olfactory receptor genes have a high-frequency defective allele segregating in the human population and each person inherits a distinctive suite of these defective alleles by the usual meiotic recombination and reassortment process). This is probably the main reason different people often describe the same scent so differently. Not only have they had different experiences with the scent, but they actually detect the scent differently in the most basic biological way. For one olfactory receptor type it would be a bit like having a color-blind and normal person compare notes on a red and green plaid scarf. One sees a loud pattern, the other sees a murky pattern or no pattern at all. However, for olfactory receptors, expand this idea to dozens of different random combinations of scent-blind traits in each person (or scent-enabled combinations if you speak of the functional receptor gene). This, not "skin chemistry", is probably the main reason people can have such wildly different perceptions of a scent (though it is probable that your skin also has some small effect). For compound X, you can barely smell it and to me it smells like tom cat urine.

Speaking of Mae West and stretching a bit the connection to Joy perfume, here are a few choice Mae West quotes (clearly she was wearing Joy at the time):

“To err is human - but it feels divine.”
"A hard man is good to find."
"Good women go to heaven, bad women go everywhere."

christianne1
christianne1

Oh my God I forgot how much I love this. I wore Joy years ago, it was my first real "grown up" perfume. I still remember opening the box for Christmas. It was in the black round bottle. I felt regal just owning it. Sadly, I hit some difficult financial times a few years later and had to sell off my perfume collection. Putting my bottle of Joy in a box to mail off to someone was actually painful. I told myself that I would buy another bottle when I was back on my feet.

Years went by and my tastes changed and I sort of forgot about Joy.

Recently, after becoming civet obsessed I recalled that little "bite" in Joy. So, I googled it and what do you know....civet. I decided to revisit my old friend to see if I still liked it.

It arrived today and even though it has been reformulated and doesn't quite pack the punch it once did, Joy is still nothing short of heavenly and the love is still there. What a classic. If you do not have a bottle of Joy in your collection, you are truly missing out. I bought a new bottle but have a vintage bottle on the way. I can't wait to compare. Oh, and it is the same exact round black bottle that I had 20 years ago. Now my collection will feel whole again.

I am so glad to have Joy back in my life. Welcome home old girl!

jake.shouse

True Story: The way Joy smells i would of thought that take Estee Lauder Knowing perfume that is the perfect scent i wonder how Joy is loved by so many when all you smell is rotten rose's and too much civet! love the name Joy... I had the pleasure of meeting Joan Rivers last year and after the show i got a pic taken with her and i had too ask what perfume she was wearing she said she has worn Joy and only Joy all of her adult life.. For one love Joan but lord she is such a tiny lady in person.. But who would of ever thought Joan Rivers told me i smelled good and wanted too know what i was wearing of course it was fall last yr so my go too fall scent is Knowing by E.L. She told me she loved the way it smelled and said she was gonna have too get a bottle she said her mother wore Joy so she has always wore is now i had also got a pic taken with her daughter and she had on Chanel #5 and it smelled so good on her but that was the most amazing night meeting both mother and daughter... She went on about how she loved gay people so much and me being gay i was like YAY... But still cant believe Joan liked my knowing perfume she did say it smelled somewhat like Joy i disagree but she loved it..... What can i say i respect Joy not big on the scent but so many famous woman wear or have worn it... amazing rose scent if you love that strong rose smell!

Artemis145
Artemis145

One of my biggest perfume disappointments ever. Was incredibly excited to receive this celebrated classic as a gift. Sadly it smelt like extremely strong air freshener on my skin and brought on an unforgettable migraine..

mikicat65

...by the way, I chose this particular fragrance for my wedding, it suited the occasion in every level....:)

mikicat65

THE NAME SAYS IT ALL! This fragrance is a joy to wear, makes me feel a million dollars, and more! The florals are so abundant, it's truely breathtakingly magical, like being a tulip in a vase with every single type of flower in the world, just devine...and devinately from another time. When ladies were ladies, and men were... well, classier bastards, ha, ha!!!!

Chiropeg
Chiropeg

This wears so well. Somehow it semms this is what a queen would wear. It is quite stately - not old fashioned, mind you - just settled. A woman that wears Joy knows who she is and doesn't make any bones about it. White flowers dominate, even in the dry down, which I adore. Unapologetically feminine.

Sharyl
Sharyl

When I was in high school, my dad came home from a business trip with a small bottle of Joy parfum for my mother. I thought that dirty jasmine smelled good enough to eat! I would lie on their bed with the nozzle pressed up to my nose. "Don't you spray that!" my mother would warn. It was too precious!

A few years later, in college, I spent my food money for the month on a bottle of the splash EDT. I remember the surprise on my roommate's face when she walked in on me dabbing it on. "You wear JOY?!?" she asked incredulously. (I suppose it was an unusual choice for a Texas college girl, even if it smelled a lot "cleaner" than the parfum.)

Finally, just recently I bought the EDP as an early birthday gift to myself. Maybe one day I'll be able to afford the parfum, but I wonder if I could actually bring myself to do anything more than lie on the bed with the bottle held to my nose, taking great big breaths of that intoxicating, indolic jasmine?

Anbreen
Anbreen

Joy was once the most expensive perfume in the world! Sadly, it does not last on me. I think that it's one it the most masterly-crafted scents in the history of perfumery.

Aside from it's elegance, beauty, and class, it fills me with, well. JOY! I finally figured out that it's the dewy touch of muguet, reminding me of springtime and my very young womanhood.

So, in summary-- Joy is redolent of Greta Garbo, Princes Grace, Ingrid Bergman and other classic and timeless icons of womanly mystery. Conversely, it's a reminder of springtime, sweet maidenhood, and innocense.

It is and always has been very dear to my heart.

Anatares
Anatares

My mother loves this too ;-)
(Arpege Lanvin, old version, and this one are her favorites: two beautiful, gorgeous, classic, sophisticated scents)

Sannee77
Sannee77

One word: Mother! My beloved elegant mother, who is so intelligent, kind and humble, yet has so much integrity and pride. This is her fragrance. Today we celebrated her 64th birthday, and I gave her a bottle of Joy.

The fragrance is fabulous, the best rose and musk fragrance ever made if you ask me. It's both complex and simple, very elegant and dignified but NOT old lady! Timeless lady. I love it but can't wear it, since it would feel like "stealing it" from my mother. Fragrance royalty!

stormyla
stormyla

Earlier today I checked all of the major department stores and also the Patou website. Joy parfum is officially gone. Bergdorf's does have the Baccarat special edition bottle for $1500. No one else has any of the parfum. It's the death of an era and I feel that we Joy lovers should have a funeral memorial service!!

Bergdorf's also still has some 1000 parfum in a 1 oz size selling for $700. That is twice the cost of a bottle of L'Heure Bleue parfum. I'm all for capitalism and a free market economy but that almost feels like getting double charged by the undertaker!

krmarich

This is a comparison between a vintage bottle from 1984 to the first batch presented by P&G Prestige. I have a bottle of both just to satisfy my curiosity.

The vintage roars open with civet and authentic jasmine absolute that weaves in and out of the luscious bed of roses(in every color and variety) at its heart that can linger on your skin until the next day. There is some carnation darting here and there. The closing note is rose and civet as far as I am concerned. Its power is infinite and unforgettable. Whats not to love?

The P&G Prestige version is close but its jasmine seems somewhat disjointed and perhaps synthetic. The Bulgarian Rose seems real enough. It becomes rose centered and looses its depth Its the civet note that get plastic-ey and completely off. I understand its probably replaced with chemicals. Sort of like faux-fur. Perhaps this is for the best. No more animal cruelty!

Joy is legendary in it original formula and it was indeed larger than life. Its sisters, Chanel No 5 and Arpege both contained civet and have changed over the years. Joy is mostly civet and without it it is no longer Joy. Joy is both Beauty and the Beast in one bottle. She is the BIG MAMA indeed. All others stand in her shadow.

I look forward to a civet free flanker of Joy yet will always hold my vintage near and dear. It always reminds me of winter and those elegant ladies of my childhood who warmly took my hand. I miss them dearly yet sniffing my bottle brings them close again.

Lannielui
Lannielui

I discovered Joy on my quest to try out quality jasmine perfumes. I love jasmine and spotted Joy as one of the recommended fragrances.

I often see images when I smell certain scents. This luxurious scent brought to mind Rose in the movie Titanic. Surely, she must have worn Joy. Now, I am not wishing to convey an image of 'old', but rather elegance, class, and prestige with a hint of sensuality simmering under the surface.

This perfume is indeed a Joy and I find myself spritzing it on my pillow to enjoy a lovely scented night's sleep.

jachang
jachang

Oh, how I wish this smelled the way it used to! I first smelled Joy wa-a-a-y back in the '50's or '60's, when I was on a real perfume journey, and tried everything. My mother gave me a teeny little bottle of Joy real perfume, along with some other popular scents at the time. I can't say I loved it on me, but I remembered the smell years later when I smelled it on someone else. She smelled gorgeous, and I knew the smell, but couldn't place it. She said it was "Joy," and I immediately wanted to run out and purchase it, but not having the money at the time, I didn't. The scent stayed in my mind for a "someday" purchase. Fast forward to last year. I treated myself to a full ounce of the real perfume to the tune of $300. I couldn't wait to pull the stopper out and dab it on! OMG! What happened?? This can't be the same thing I remember. It smelled like a fart in a bottle. Really, it did. I figured it must get better after you actually wear it, so I put some on. It still smelled awful. There were some beautiful flowers in there, but they were all overpowered by the fart. I stuck the perfume away in my drawer, and dragged it out again about a year later. I kept insisting to myself that this stuff HAS to smell good, and maybe I was just having an off day last time, so I wore it to church. I only dabbed a drop of it right at the base of my throat. Throughout the entire service, all I could think of was, "How much longer do I have to stay here before I can get home and into the shower?" I absolutely reeked of flowers, but more so that overpowering fart! I was so embarrassed, and tried not to get close to anyone, slipping out of the church, probably leaving a trailing scent of dead flowers, pee, and farts. I still have the nearly-full bottle, and every once in a while I open it, sniff, and smell the good things in there--but there is always that undercurrent--or actually heavy OVERcurrent--of dirt and the everlasting fart.

jtd
jtd

I've written and mentioned this a few times recently, so I suppose I'm trying to prove a point to myself: I don’t view my life as a narrative.  I suppose this is one reason that, although I'm very emotional about perfume, I'm not terribly romantic about it.  To call memory a reflection of experience gives memory too much weight.  The reflected image suggests a more clarity than memory can offer.  Memory is more a filter than a reflection.

The perceived jump from experience to memory is quick, yet in that instant so much editing occurs that I can’t call memory anything other than fiction.

When I think of Jean Patou Joy, I think of my mother. When she was a very young woman, her brother brought her a bottle when he returned from from France and the 2nd World War.  She kept it until I suppose we all lost track of it somewhere in the past dozen years.  I remember that she wore it very occasionally and that otherwise it sat in a box in a drawer.  I loved the scent of that Joy. I imagine I loved it more than my mother did, yet the perfume and the story were both hers.

I have my own bottle of Joy and despite the fictions of memory, reformulation of perfume, and all the years, I still think of my mother when I open the bottle.  This sort of memory is more pensive than visceral yet it's very important to me.  I suppose you never know where you'll to find the big Rosebud moments in your memory, and I never thought the bottle of Joy would sweep me up and carry me away.  But I'll tell you where the moment found me.

My mother is living with very advanced dementia. She hasn't been able to speak to me in years. Early in her dementia I used to talk with her by phone as often as I could, though we lived on opposites coasts of the US.   Most of these phone discussions were about nothing in particular but only as she grew unable to carry on these conversations did I realize how important those small ways of keeping in touch were.

Clearing out some papers last week I found a couple of folded sheets of paper that for God knows what reason I printed out years ago.  The contents of these papers were a compilation of four or five emails back and forth between me and my mother where she was asking me about a recipe for tofu that my partner David had. I laughed until I cried and knew that Marguerite would have, too.  What could be more ridiculous than a decade-old string of emails about tofu?  But here she was.  I heard her voice, her laugh.  I remembered.

So my lesson about memory and how wonderfully little control I have over it is to wear the perfume and relish the emails.

from scent hurdle.com

shannonny
shannonny

This is for a probably '90s formulation of the EDT, a dab-on bottle. Why, oh why, must it smell so funky? My darling rose and reliable tuberose struggling through a vapor of funk. Is this "Joy"?

But I keep persisting. There is SOME REASON WHY this is a famous and well-loved fragrance, but it's so perversely pungent that I want to, like, slap it.

I get that there's something vaguely elegant about it. But wearing it feels less like stepping out in finely cut clothing and well-heeled shoes, and more like a pretty cat marking her territory. So I don't know.

I just cannot put civet and "joy" together. It must have been true to the time it was created. And I even tried a fresh, recent EDT which I would think would have reformulated most of that uber-muskiness out.

But now I'm like a dog with a bone. I MUST find out the secret of what makes Joy a keeper for so many women.

leathermountain
leathermountain

I've tested the EdP and EdT and rather liked them. But I recently tried the "parfum solide," and I'm wondering if it's some kind of fake. It's a powder, mildly scented. The scent, when you can smell it at all, is half Joy and half petroleum.

Edit: I can't believe a perfume fairy godmother of epic proportions sent me a sample of vintage Joy. I'm not sure what the concentration is, but it is rose and jasmine perfection. I smelled the civet quite distinctly from the vial, but I don't perceive it so far on my skin (after a couple of hours). Perhaps it is just doing its exalting. Something is!

Next edit: I've now tried the contemporary parfum. It smells exactly like you would expect a contemporary parfum to smell in comparison with all of the above: richer and fuller than the contemporary EdT and EdP, but thin and synthetic compared with vintage. And I was so determined not to fall for vintage....

danceforjoy
danceforjoy

To all of those who would dismiss perfumes such as Joy on account of their smelling "old" I humbly submit this, if you have not already done so, open your minds and consider whether overapplication may be causing you to lose out on this and other works of art; I almost did. One spray may be too much; as others recommend, apply with a tissue or cotton ball or do a walk-through as the review below this suggests. Others will still notice.

I have gone from frustration with this (nearly full vintage bottle received untested) to delight.

This is also wonderful scent for learning about aldehydes, which are a piece of the history of modernism in and of themselves.

SCBohemian
SCBohemian

Joy by Jean Patou is a heady, rich floral concoction. It opens with pungent jasmine and dries down to musk--reminiscent of Jovan Musk Oil. It is overpowering and jarring. Definitely a fragrance for the mature woman.

A. Rose123
A. Rose123

Wonderful news for anyone who is concerned with animal welfare:

"Thankyou for contacting SA Designer Parfums Limited concerning the Jean Patou range of fragrances. We are very pleased to learn that these fragrances have been such favourites of yours in the past and we very much hope that they will continue to do so in the future.
With regards to the questions you raised, we can confirm that none of the Jean Patou fragrance formulations contain animal extracts and also that SA Designer Parfums Limited, as an organisation, has never itself carried out, nor has it required any animal testing to be carried out on its behalf by others, either during product development or following production of its fragrances. Interestingly. Our perfumer conforms that the Animalic note you mention in the Joy formulation is contributed by the Jasmin inclusion in the fragrance concentrate.
Finally, I have been able to check with our export manager and can also confirm that Jean Patou items are not distributed in China.

May I thank you again for contacting us, and hope that the Jean Patou range continues to bring you olfactory pleasure into the future."

This is the response I received from a Jean Patou technical manager. It's the most thorough and clear answer I've ever received in all the time I've contacted companies regarding this, so I thought it would be great to post it here, for those weighing whether or not they will purchase this fragrance. So, all of you who have written off repurchasing this, out of concern for that cute, little civet cat staring back at you in the notes, can rest assured that this fragrance -- and all Jean Patou fragrances -- are/is now cruelty-free! For a die-hard "perfumista" who wrestles with animal welfare concerns against my love for fine fragrance, this news, in fact, fills me with "Joy"! They now have a devotee for life ;).

Catty

This a dream!!!! my classic floral!

This scent is very classic in its composition, but not old Fashion at all. It´s a sunny, happy scent, and that makes it fresh, vibrant. My 6 years old daughter loovvee it!

I like the edt, ´cause I can use on 9:00am (in the Office)or on 22:00h, by an evening Event.

There are outstanding classic floral scents in the market: 24 Faubour St Honoré, So pretty, Carolina Herrera, Arpege but Joy is definetly the Queen!

sweetviolet
sweetviolet

100% classic, classy scent. Pure class in a bottle. Perfect elegant and beautiful fragrance. Refined and timeless. Smells divine. However I use to have a bottle years ago to expensive for me now...oh well I can dream and remember the beautiful scent well.

Boudoir
Boudoir

Extremely indolic jasmine & fairly urinal-smelling civet mixed with other intense flowers. Quite beautiful, but definitely not for the faint of heart.

Bazrob

This was my first discovery of Jean Patou & Joy was exactly that. I've loved it & worn it for years & also have become an avid fan of the other Jean Patou fragrances. This is lovely & light on me & evokes bright spring days wandering barefoot through fresh grass moist with dew.
I'd recommend this to any young woman searching for her first mature fragrance which will then become a firm favourite.

ImpishLisa
ImpishLisa

A friend of my mother's wore this while I was growing up. She guarded her bottle, but we would sneak a little once in a while, then run upstairs and sniff it all day.
Elegant, imperious, a Queen among the perfume, she is not a young Queen, but a stately, filthy rich lady of means.. I need a bottle of this.

evesoho
evesoho

A little black outfit, a string of pearls or flower behind the ear, and Joy.

The first time I wore this I was wearing a little robe noir. The second time, I was wearing a green dress - but before I left the house I decided to go and change into black cigarette pants and a black cap-sleeved sweater. Joy is all the rainbow one needs.

Joy is the only perfume in which the aldehydes don't annoy me. I have a decant of the EDP, and I save it for going out. I find jasmine, lily-of-the-valley and tuberose as a group more prominent than the single note of rose. After a few hours it becomes a fresh-smelling jasmine and musk. A well-balanced fragrance, Joy lasts a long time although the sillage is softer than I'd hoped it would be. I wanted my neighbours to smell my civet, dammit! ;) Speaking of civet, I think it's gives the usually jumpy jasmine a very smooth impression here.

I'm not sure I would buy a full bottle for myself at this point, but I'd be very happy receiving it as a gift from someone I love. It's retro but not "old lady". There's a difference. Thomas Fontaine, the new director of the house of Jean Patou, says that the word "cher" in the tag line "le parfum le plus cher..." can be heard as "dear" and not "expensive". I can see that.

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

Joy - well named. The initial spray of this fragrance is going into a very JOYFUL bouquet of florals. This smells light, playful, and happy! There is a nice fragrance chord about this. It smells very well put together, upper crust - and has a much more classy scent to it than a number of the fragrances that are popular today.

Fracas smells like an upper register soprano of this chord, Joy smells like a medium range alto type chord.

If you've read Carol Tuttle's book called "Dressing Your Truth" - Joy would fall under the Type 1 Category where energetically, this type of woman is fun, playful, upbeat and leads with a this type of nature in their daily lives.

This is fun-- I could see wearing this for a special occasion, but this is not the type of smell that I would be drawn to for a signature fragrance. I typically like fragrance chords with a bit more depth than this. But then again- I'm in the middle of trying this sample. Time will tell!

-------------

30 minutes into wearing this:
There seems to be a distinct "carnation" smell to this, which I really find unappealing. This could be great on other people, but it is turning into an overwhelmingly strong carnation scent on me.

This is not my fragrance, due to the carnation take over-- and dominance, but I could see someone with different chemistry totally loving this!

9-na
9-na

Vintage. I like Joy very-very much. First it's tight like a fog, natural jasmine, a bit sinister in its tightness. Later I get this very jasmine, kind, gentle musk, and rose that is brimming with rose oil. Then the flowers and the musk get somewhat quieter, and civet appears. Oh, what a beautiful civet this is!.. Wait. Did the flowers and the musk leave? No, they didn't. Here they are, getting softer or louder from time to time, making a wonderful scenty whole with the civet.

amelie
amelie

I'm so delighted with Eau de Joy, thanks to Emily, had the opportunity to enjoy this symphony. This is a masterpiece. I even prefer Eau de Joy, rather then Joy EdP. Haven't tried something so refined and luxurious for years! No words to describe how wonderful it feels on the skin, even the next day. I have to come to it!!

ruthghg
ruthghg

I oh so want to try this again. I have tried a few shops recently for testers and haven't seen any.
I LOVED this in the 80's and 90's.
It was complex, floral and musky.
Stayed well.
Beautiful. Sensuous.

kabelaced
kabelaced

When I first put this on, it was a garden of light flowers, with a whiff of fresh "breath," like baby's breath or something.

Then, something stinky came out, which I am assuming is either civet or maybe the off-smell of soap, jasmine, or even some kind of cheese, and smelling a beautiful bouquet of flowers side-by-side that off-smell just doesn't make me feel joyful! This perfume is not for me.

nickflick
nickflick

Could someone please tell me the difference between Joy and Eau de Joy? Is it just the packaging?

canadianpetite
canadianpetite

At the first stall at Vancouver Flea Market, I spotted a huge 2.5oz bottle of Jean Patou Joy. My heart was leaping but had to stay cool especially when the vendor told me the price tag was $10. It's about a third full and you only need a little bit to enjoy this scent. Once finished, the bottle itself will be a "joy" to keep or sell. Joy is aldehydic at first spray. Tuberose, jasmine and green notes live through to the end. I love tuberose (Fracas) although better enjoyed as it fades. The animalic note does not jump out strongly to me. After an hour and a half has passed, the scent has faded considerably with hardly any jasmine; what stayed was faint powdery (not candied) violet. If you love caramel or soft watery scents, this is not for you. On the other hand, if you enjoy wearing classics like Chanel No5, Lanvin Arpege, or Miss Dior, you should try this. As for me, I am so happy to score such a big amount of juice and know that it will last me a long time. *happy dance*

One dab on me,
Sillage: about a foot
Longevity: longer than 6 hours

Update Apr 1/2013: I now get and understand the urinal-odor reference which shows itself as a bottom note. So rank! Does this happen with formulas that have gone bad?

piahellgren
piahellgren

I always thought that this smelled like dirty body parts, certain ones. I understand I will have to smell it again since not only have my sense of smell maybe changed but maybe the person that I used to smell it on wasn´t suited for it?

nellyrlight@aol.com
nellyrlight@aol.com

I absolutely enjoyed/loved wearing this..I gave it to my mom when the bottle was half way down as she liked it too..but I should get one..It smelled divine on her too..Very different, special, personable..warm, heady but not heavy

Izumee
Izumee

Funny how i hate it for the first and second time i tried joy on my skin (wrist),I thought "oh, this one is just nasty, i dont care for it, how can anyone loves it?" but then, just to finish my sample and throw away the empty bottle, i tried again on my neck.... And it was very pleasant and other worldly, oh my, i cant believe its the same perfume that i hated. Since then, i absolutely love joy. However, its still a strong perfume-so a little goes along the way, dont overdo it :))

Odalisque
Odalisque

I adore my mother; she's a force of nature to me. Joy and Chanel No. 5 are her signature scents. Every once in awhile when I visit her, I sneak the tiniest touch of her Joy on my wrist. And no wonder it's called "Joy"! It never fails to lift my spirits. The Bulgarian roses carry me off in their happy cloud of scent.

aveilhe
aveilhe

I was not expecting to like Joy, mainly because it has civetone in it, which I typically find unbearable. But, I've learned an interesting lesson from Joy: I actually really like civet when it's in a floral perfume! I tend to dislike it in spicy-oriental perfumes, like Obsession and the original Shalimar, where it evokes a pungent dirtiness to me.

In Joy, the civet works to enhance the rose and jasmine, making them absolutely radiate! The words that come to mind are: juicy and vibrant. It doesn't smell at all dirty to me here (I don't find indoles particularly dirty or offensive either, and this fragrance has a VERY indolic Jasmine note). I have worked extensively with the natural absolutes of both rose and jasmine, and Joy exudes the same freshness as these precious extracts. Surely, there are still some natural floral extracts being used in Joy?

This is not a complex scent, but it doesn't have to be. It does what it is meant to do, and it does it extremely well -- it evokes all of the warmth, brightness, tenderness, and rich femininity of the flowers it sets out to represent. It is an absolute and unabashed ode to rose and jasmine!

I can see why Joy is crowned queen among floral perfumes.

scents4me
scents4me

I tried a small sample of Joy from Nordstrom's, and at very first it was strong, pungent, and heavy. Until about 10 minutes later, when an exquisite scent began to eminate from my wrists while I was driving the car. It lasted most of the day, and even smelled heavenly after washing my hands a few times. All of the reviews I've read here regarding Joy have either been extremely positive or negative, but I've got to say that it smelled wonderful to me.

Now I'll go and get a bottle of the Edp. It does give me the feeling of an exquisite, classy scent, one which would be worn at a beautiful evening event. p.s. As all of our noses are so different looking, so are they at picking up the scents that we love or hate. Thanks to all of the perfumiers who give us all the zillion scents to choose from.

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

While I was out perfume browsing recently, I sprayed some of this on a card, some of it strayed (or rather, crawled) onto my fingers, then I forgot about it as I drifted along the perfume shelves.

A few minutes later I thought 'where's that potent urinal odour coming from?'. I couldn't account for it as I was in Jenners (which is basically Edinburgh's Harrods and never smells anything less than luxuriant). Finally I located the odour and realised it was emanating from Joy. I suggest they re-launch this at the weirder end of the niche fragrance market and re-name it 'Dismay Absolou'.

Now,I like a bit of dirt, I can handle indoles, horse poo, cat pee/blackcurrant, barnyard, and any amount of salty sweat, but this level of civet is truly alarming. I'm filled with awe for the women who wear this - I imagine them in floor-length real fur, with filed-to-a-point, blood-red talons!

To my nose, the urinal note in this perfume is predominantly male, my loo has only ever smelled like this when I'm been sharing my house with a man. Concentrated female urine tends to smell more fishy and in smaller or fresher amounts, like honey. This men's urinal note was pulled off successfully in 'Kouros' though.

Incidentally, I was with a friend who couldn't smell it, but said she experienced a powerful fecal note.

Fascinating!

Bazrob

My first Jean Patou fragrance which I loved from the start, still do & always will.
Tempted me on to try every other Patou fragrance I could find.
More a fragrance for the mature woman although I was young when I first wore it.

celebrity89
celebrity89

Norell really copied this one. This was probably considered very light and fresh for it's time. Today it smells one dimentional and little too musky.

shwetadwivedi
shwetadwivedi

To me this perfume smells like a soap bar that has been left aside for years before it is finally used on the skin . I m not sure if any of you have had that experience with a soap but if you do use a soap as old as that it begings to smell of its real ingredients as all the frangrance it is nearly lost. It is very 'chemically'.... Not at all pleasant on my nose. I know it is a classic but dont like it

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

Joy is a shocker by today's standards. It's diffusive, indolic, rosey, and not particularly fresh. I really can't imagine anybody who doesn't love rose and jasmine absolutes enjoying this fragrance too much. While not a particularly good perfume artistically, it is nonetheless an excellent presentation of the raw ingredients.

I love to wear this. In a world where floral absolutes aren't allowed to be used anymore this is a shocking reminder of what is missing in the perfume world today. Of course, other people don't appreciate this perfume as much as I do. As unadorned as this is, it really highlights the fecal undertones of jasmine and the overtly dirty note of civet.

husnul
husnul

Very bad perfume..unexpected smell..so sweety classic perfume.

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Bad really bad, smells like glue, may be it was ok for 1930s taste, it is going back to the store.

sanzioonofre

Joy is my favorite floral fragrance. To me it is all based on rose, jasmine and civet, a perfect combination. I love its civet note, musky and erotic! To me, wearing Joy is like making love under Lakmé's dense canopy where the white jasmine blends with the rose... a true Masterpiece!

jake.shouse

Horrible! Why are the most pricey perfumes smelling so bad After SpellBound than Knowing smelling god aweful now Joy good god why would someone weat this if you have this on get the heck away from me yuck makes me want too vomit!

gmstrack
gmstrack

Joy by Jean Patou can be described as the quintessential vintage fragrance overflowing with rose, aldehydes, and civet. The civet is definitely loud and dirty, but it blends with the sweet, juicy aspect of the rose rendering it velvety and luscious. When I wear Joy, I conservatively apply it and keep a modern appearance. I’d love to meet someone who swims in this fragrance :)

KJS88
KJS88

Whinge here:

When I saw a trio of Eaux de Parfum by Patou being sold and spruiked as 'fresh, joyful, and flirty' in a major department store here in Australia, I knew the worst had happened: second reformulation in about 4 years. Until earlier this year, many discounters carried small 30 and 50 mL bottles of Joy in EdT and EdP. These were lush, creamy, beautiful, and very, very close to the older two formulations. Beautiful.

My mother and sister always loved Joy, and both have a habit of collecting their favourite perfumes in Edt, EdP, and Extrait versions, where possible. So every time a discounter had an end of year or mid year sale on, I always picked up a few small bottles for them. Luckily, they have enough of that last good reformulation to last a life time.

Review here:

The latest reformulation as I said is very sad. Limpid, vapid even.

Joy, in its beautiful mélange of May Roses, Grasse Jasmine, Chinese Michelia, musks, mosses, and presumably, a little Muguet always had a special quality, which in my opinion, has never been truly matched in another fragrance: it seamlessly combined richness, plushness, creaminess, warmth, and dewiness.

This was even abundantly evident in the last reformulation. The new is just not the same. It smells almost identical, but even in EdP formulation has no depth, richness, or lasting power.

So I'll leave here and at that. Don't get me started about 1000: shockingly woeful post-reformulation.

Lamentable.

jeannieby
jeannieby

My grandfather presented all of the ladies in my family, each of us, with the largest bottle of Joy, in the classically designed bottle, as a gift one year.
I am reminded of The Great Gatsby when I think of Joy. The time period, that is, not the longing or the misfit aspect.
I got this when I was in college in the 70's.
The University was a turmoil of angst--hippies, black power, revolutions, Marxism, you name it.
I was 18 and wore ripped jeans and a lot of tie dyed T shirts, up to the knee boots, and long long hair at the time.
I understood the backgound of Joy, and I actually came from that background, but I had rejected it in favor of being my own person long before.

I loved my grandfather. He was one of my heros, and is to this day.

However, I have to admit that JOY didn't suit me in any way. I thought it was one of the most sublimely designed bottles I have ever had in my collection of perfumes, and I was honored to own it, but the smell was dreadful on me! I never ever could wear it!
In retrospect, I guess I was like Jay Gatsby, alone and a misfit (I take back what I said before), a green light blinking on a dock representing my odd inablity to cleave to the greatest fragrance ever made, Joy by Jean Patou.

edpjunkie
edpjunkie

I dabbed some of the vintage edt onto my wrists and neck, and the weather is chilly. I love this fragrance! Perhaps spraying directly on one area of the body can cause this to overwhelm. Also, I've heard nice things about wearing the lotion alone. 'Tis just mho:)

natural
natural

this is for the EDT:
I really wanted to love this, but no... Despite the name, it didn't bring me joy! I find it rather melancholy... I am not saying that I dislike it, it is just not what I expected! Nevertheless, a very elegant and classy scent!

edit: I am starting to fall in love with it! just perfect!

FragranceBlossom
FragranceBlossom

When I first tested Joy, I was attracted to the bottle because the name gave me the impression that this fragrance would be nice. Unfortunately, I couldn't have been any more wrong. As soon as I sprayed it onto a tester card, I was overwhelmed by the strong smell of civet. It was like a bomb full of possum piss had exploded in my face. Not only is it overpoweringly strong, but it is also extremely long lasting. I got some on my fingers when I sprayed it in the morning and I could still smell it the whole day and some of the night. I had to violently scrub my hand to try and take off the horrendous scent. I understand that Chanel No. 5 has civet as a note, but that is a nice balance of it that complements the fragrance. However, in Joy, all you could smell was civet! I've never tested something so horrible that would give me a nightmare about possums peeing in my face. The bottle is okay, but the fragrance is nothing short of terrible. I would not recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to smell like urine.

Yamba1
Yamba1

I have owned a tiny bottle of Joy pure parfum since the late eighties or early nineties. My lovely big brother gave it to me as a present and I was told at the time it was the most expensive perfume in the world (Looking back, this may have been a slight exaggeration, but it was definitely in the calibre of Chanel no 5.) I would dab a little on each wrist before going out and this would carry me for the whole evening. I would never wear this to go clubbing. Definitely for use to attend formal balls, weddings (evening only) and black tie affairs.

Eventually the little bottle was relegated to the cupboard under my bathroom sink for a couple of decades; forgotten and unloved. In recent years however, it has sat proudly with my current collection, but still largely overlooked.

Tonight I was going though my collection with the intention of doing some culling. Although I would never get rid of my Joy, I tried a little dab once more. The opening was a little shaky;- years have taken their toll, but not as badly as you would expect. It wasn't long before Joy sprang to life again and I was reminded of why this was a perennial favourite for my night time soirees.

The notes would indicate this is a Floral, but this is misleading. This is a big perfume, and the floral notes in the parfum concentration take on an animalistic quality. The jasmine indoles and civet form the structure of this powerhouse and the aldehydes give it life. Although big, it's never heavy but longevity is stellar. This is one ladylike fragrance, best kept for formal occasions.

I feel honoured to still have my little bottle.

Mahala: I hate to say this, but you did buy your bottle on ebay. It could very well be a fake! The real edp has incredible longevity...

Mahala
Mahala

I recently bought some Joy EdP on Ebay for a good price, it was a new gift set with body lotion and I was so thrilled to think of giving it as a present for my daughter who'd tried Joy once and has always said she would love to own a bottle. I couldn't resist a spray myself, of course. How disappointed I was! At first it was somewhat as I remembered from years ago, but thinner and sourer, somehow. I could smell rose and also ylang-ylang, and something else floral but "off", which I couldn't put my finger on. Then I realised it was synthetic jasmine, like those cheap perfume oils. I love real jasmine. I didn't get the civet, though maybe that's the "off" bit I could detect.

Well, I kept sniffing at my wrist, hoping for a transformation, but it was very quickly fading to a vague sour floral, and I couldn't believe it when after about two hours the whole thing had faded comptetely and utterly. I thought that maybe it wasn't real Joy, but reading these reviews, maybe the EdP is different from the EdT? You'd expect it to be stronger of course but someone said the formulation is completely different. Perhaps they've interfered with the jasmine in a massive way because of restrictions? It certainly isn't the Joy that I remember and love. I just have to hope that my daughter likes it. Her Nahema has nearly run out and I thought this would be such a beautiful surprise at Christmas. Oh well.

HezFairy
HezFairy

My Mum was given a bottle of Joy, so I was able to try it without the expense! It was to my nose concentrated lilies, gardenias, jasmine and other flowers with an annoying addition of something I could not identify, but which spoiled the flowers.

I did not smell anything approaching urine or cat pee and nothing fecal either, but some people's noses pick up one of the chemicals in jasmine which is also present in feces!

A wonderful fragrance, but altogether too pungent and overpowering on my skin.

juri cela
juri cela

I want this perfume! but I'm from albania and I can't find it! :(

mrsriley
mrsriley

i can't wait to try this..as a lover of powerhouse perfumes im intrigued to see if this is as strong as people say,i'm also intrigued to see the way it reacts to my chemistry..will i get the flowers? will it be the jasmin or the rose..or god forbid will i get the civet and stink of cat pee!!! i hope not,i so want to love this......i'll let you know

DomizianoA
DomizianoA

Classic. Do not pay attention to bad reviews! They must all come with women in conflict with their sensuality!
There's nothing more inviting,troubling and sheer downright sexy than this one!
A class act.And clearly a man who's a man who'd know.

shannon.christensen.986
shannon.christensen.986

I don't know why, but this perfume makes me nauseous. I find it to be overpoweringly strong.

Caeroly
Caeroly

Beautiful Bottle...
Too strong and old for me.
I think it would be great in a very cold winter night.

Ann-Margret Stigholt
Ann-Margret Stigholt

JOY, just buying it ,taxes so on and on top on that everything I read about 10000 jasmine pentals and the amount of roses
made this smelling, the 3-4 first times very speciell.
And I think that get to one. I mean, it´s a expensive perfume, but more. That´s as many who´s know Jean Patou as Britney Spears, unfortunally. It´s very classy to have, know some about the produktion and time around the perfume.
I like it very much, feminine, feel like a classy princess.
But, it not the one I like more. Buy it again, that depends what I find behind italian and english big perfumehouses yet.
It´s an honour to smell JOY

Raquel Bosenbecker
Raquel Bosenbecker

I think there's a strong smell of talc. I spent a fortune in taxes matter a bottle for Brazil and was disappointed. Enjoy the bought together, which I like more. I think it smells like Old Joy. As Ivoire, which I bought without smelling once. It is much better to my mother. I think I might give her too Joy. Do not resign myself. I want to try a few more times.

rosarossa
rosarossa

Curious about it because all the reviews are so enthusiat I got a spry by my friend: good, great but tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much! Probably not so good in summer.
An old diva's frag. But for today?
For me and my skin is too strong and rich, but a well done frag.
Not for me or this is my opinion.
Sorry :-(

suiteladybug
suiteladybug

Joy is the only pefume I own that truely smells rich! It smells of a place and time where people really cared about how they looked and the way their boudoir eminated a touch of class to their daily life. The jasmine is lush and so is the soapy rose that eventually rounds out. It's better than Chanel No 5, of which I ended up giving away.

bugmenot1
bugmenot1

I do love Joy, but it is not my favorite perfume. but when I am feeling a bit down, it is the one I reach for. It boosts my happiness quotient through its mysterious alchemy...

Czarette
Czarette

When I was a little girl of 2 my babysitter talked me into drinking my mother's perfume. You guessed it. Joy. The first time I did this it was the sitters fault. The second time I was supposed to know better and boy did I get a spanking.

What can I say? I have good taste in perfumes. Rose, jasmine, aldehydes; I'm not sure why but it reminds me of Hermes 24 Faubourg EDP.

dnnhts.00@gmail.com
dnnhts.00@gmail.com

I'm so glad I was warned by all these reviews before I smelled it for myself! She is everything you've all said about her: loud, classy, strong, comforting, bright, brash, heavy, innocent, sweet, sour and sexy. This is a perfume that will make you mind your manners: approach with respect, and don't be greedy. One spray is enough, take two and you will be slapped! I've wanted to try this perfume since I read somewhere that a bottle of Joy was among the contents of Marilyn Monroe's dressing table. Now that I've tried it, I can easily imagine dignified queens and sex kittens alike smelling this way.

NeoJezebel
NeoJezebel

Really, really strong stuff. My aunt loves it, but I just can't get my nostrils to agree. Must be the civet.

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

can't believe i never wrote anything about my favourite perfume. ok everyone sing together:" joy to the world..." that's literally it. it's exciting, it makes you smile, it makes the world around you brighter, it lifts your mood (especially mine) when you're dragging your feet to work too early in the morning, it makes the sun come up or rain come down (whatever makes you groove really). i literally pipe up when i spray this on myself. i love it. i adore it. it has its own spot on my dresser and i can depend on it no matter the occasion, be it evening gown or dressing down.
it doesn't smell like anything else, i'm not biased ( at least in my head i'm not). It's expensive smelling but not a rip-off in terms of price, elegant but not cold, it's got a warm heart and it literally smiles at you. I picture a classic English Sloane wearing this, thanks to Jilly Cooper's books.
It's a mammoth of a floral bouquet and I thank Jean Patou for labouring so long and so hard over this Joy of a scent that is so smooth and wearable. It's so sad that many have cast an "old lady" label on this beauty but it's fine by me as that means the prices aren't jacked up astronomically too. Small favours!
i may have affairs with SL or Tom Ford or Keiko Mecheri and my mistress may be Guerlain, but I will always come home to thee.

missymary
missymary

Joy immediately unleashes a floral panache that is quite breathtakingly bold. What a massive flowerbomb of sour chypre whites drenched in sweet rose! And aldehydea too. Like as if someone had mixed Carolina Herreira with Arpege and re-made them in Heaven

Soft civitish musk grew gently stronger and suffused the flower tang in an indescribably entrancing way. I love this!

Aldehyde and musk with greens and a hundred flowers could have been be a disastrous mess. Instead its animalisticically sensational beauty. I want to bathe in it for hours. And one light spray of EDP lasts indeed for 6 hours on me.

Joy may be too strong and old-fashioned for some, but I can't get enough of it. I only wish there were more like it. It's my kind of perfume. Bring it on.

Bobmarley134`
Bobmarley134`

One day as i was looking through my mother's drawers, i found an antique flask of jean patou's joy. Since i was unable to open the bottle, and my mother told me Joy was a famous perfume in her times, i decided to search up the fragrance. As i searched on the web, i came across tons of positive comment, proclaiming the perfume to be a true legend. However, when i finally got the bottle open, i was quite disappointed. On my skin, the perfume seemed much too old for me, it seems to me to be rather better suited for a woman in her middle ages. On my skin, Joy gave a essentially a strong sour scent, and a rose. Personally Joy by Jean Patou is not one of my favourite, but that however is only my personal opinion, and am willing to give it another try, but probably when i'm older.

Catty

Today, my husband gave me this legend!

Now I can see why so many queens, princesses and celebrities wore joy along all this time.

No words to describe it!

Joy is really the majesty in the parfumerie.

stacia79
stacia79

I was excited to try out my little sample of this iconic fragrance. Unfortunately, it is not my cup of tea. At. All. The jasmine and civet combination was overpowering and sour on my skin. Too bad, I had hoped for the lush nuanced florals that other reviewers got. When my son wets the bed, the sheets smell *exactly* like this. Moving on...

chickenpotpie
chickenpotpie

Review for Joy EDT

A little history: I used to hate Joy. No really, used to hate it. But I also didn't understand it and didn't care to. To me it was a smelly ol bottle of perfume that my mom would call her going out perfume. Blech, it was terrible but what did I know as a kid?

Fast forward many years and after today's test, I finally get it! Its floral, warm, beautiful, its sunshine in a bottle. I actually felt my spirits totally lifted today.

Joy really is a grand dame. Sure she's a little dated but so what? She reminds me of my favorite aunt...the one that might have a drink or two and be plastered 4 sheets to the wind, slip up and say a curse word, then giggle about it.

The first blast I got was a bit powder and a dirty diaper. Now granted thats enough to put most people off forever, but I've survived worse in a perfume so I knew to just wait it out.

After about 15 minutes the most yummy ylang-ylang and rose came out. It was a candied rose to be honest. Certainly not the dark horse Une Rose that was on my left arm, smelling like a rose with a hangover...lol! There was also the tuberose, which was actually quite well behaved!

The florals in Joy are well behaved. THis is no wild jungle here, its a well behaved well kept garden! I didn't find it to be terribly heavy tbh.

The drydown is also one of great interest because I kept smelling bread pudding in the last 1-2 hours. The EDT has longevity issues I think though. I'm on hour 5 and its pretty much gone. I have to put my nose right up to my skin to even smell the last dregs.

At this point considering, I've got a hankering to try the parfum!

Many thanks to Amy77 for this sample.

Peachply
Peachply

Ahhh Joy...My mother wore this and at the time I found it so overwhelming, all that rose but now it is so nostalgic for me. I will always love this. This is a WOMAN'S perfume!

daniela3
daniela3

The following review is referring to the modern E.d.P.:

I still like this heavy, rich, redundant, hyper-flourished e.d.p., a big scented slap on the face of clean, sober, minimalism. A perfume you cannot wear from morning up to evening but from evening till the morning after..... if your skin is wise enough to keep its beauty. Mine is so absent minded that after some hours forgets all about this bunch of flowers, aldehydes (name a scent which can do without beautiful aldehydes?!?), 'chemicals', 'heaviness', 'old-ladyness' and so on.... (probably too many things to remember for 'an absent minded' skin!) - that I do love.
Joy in my modest opinion is still a 'joy' for the nose and for the mind as well: it shoots you imagines of blooming gardens all painted in gold without being kitsch or probably just a little step before.... A fragrant wave (a big one, no doubt!) of optimism which is so helpful nowadays! I believe that 'Joy' keeps on being the same 'modern' balm even in this time of sad economy like it was after Wall Street and the Great Depression in the '30es! As usual this is a personal consideration everybody can experience something differently, especially when the skin refuses cooperating!

I love it, great sillage also!

p.s. His bigger brother 'Joy - parfum' (even better than the more affordable E.d.P) is a sort of monument (I'm not saying this is the only one but one among the others!) in all time perfumery, either of the past or of the present time. I've tried different vintage bottles, I cannot, honestly, make many distinctions, I believe (though I'm just a fragrance lover but NOT an expert) it shouldn't have been too much modified, or not so much to have its formula completely put upside down so that you cannot recognize it anymore OR.....THAT VINTAGES ARE STILL EASILY CIRCULATING ; )

nananessa
nananessa

Joy is my other bottle (Evere) that I use generally for the most special occasions. I have loved this fragrance since I was a teen & always wanted it. I just do not tire of this gorgeous classic!

Floral perfection in a bottle that blends well with my chemistry.

This fragrance is not for the faint of heart. It is intense, very strong but not what I would call "heady". Once it has gone through the dry down phase, it mellows to an unforgettable, very unique complex floral, woodsy, green, earthy animalic scent that is liquid gold to me.

Light mist once & stand under the falling mist. That's all it takes for me!

Prefection in a bottle, far surpasses Chanel No 5 in my opinion.

Fonna
Fonna

Too heady for my liking.
On my skin, it starts off like a strong soap with some oriental and spice notes, winds down to to a soapy violet with maple syrup, then gets a powdery with a sour scent.
It certainly is not a clean scent.

lolitajade
lolitajade

If Lush Lust is your favourite night time perfume, Joy would be it's daytime equivilant :)

artsyrn
artsyrn

"Do not care for this scent. I get strong white flowers and soap. Not my cup of tea".
Or so I thought!
Some days later I gave this another try. Low and behold, I am seriously loving this deep,clean, comforting scent. Yes, it does feel like Dove soap with some lift and projection and a bit more complexity...but it's seriously addictive to me suddenly. I'm happy to report this is a joy to wear.

reavyan
reavyan

Based on the reviews and the history I somehow expected more. However, upon trying my decanted sample I arrived to the conclusion that it's just... okay.

On my skin it starts of smelling like Italian bar soap, an assault of flowers and this soapy scent. Once it dries down, it's sweet and powdery. I get a bit of rose, sandlewood and a certain sharp, almost sour note (perhaps the aldehydes?)

What I do like about Joy is that it is definitely not a modern scent, it has a certain... aged quality to it. I can definitely see grand old dames wearing this to much advantage.

scenteena
scenteena

I concur, olga1780. I could never conceive of wearing this in public either, although I respect your having a change of mind. Joy IMO is the ultimate rose frag, and I'm glad to have had the opportunity to experience this perfume classic. To my olfactory receptors, Joy is pure rose and only that. I couldn't detect any other notes. The problem I have with this scent is that, when it comes to roses, I only want to receive them. However, the thought of a room smelling like Joy is intriguing, BUT I don't want to smell like it. Joy is perfect for rose lovers who feel they can really rock this!

weareclouds
weareclouds

My mom loves this perfume. She's worn it since the 1970s (way before I was born in '87) She finally got another bottle of it (she hasn't had it since she got divorced from her rich first husband) about 3 years ago. Sometimes I sneak spritzes of it. It's very ritzy and old fashioned. I like it. But, not enough to shell out a ton of money for my own bottle. But, it is pretty nice.

lemonfreshjoy
lemonfreshjoy

I had a tiny sample of this in high school. Sweet memories! I love this scent.

MaggieKat
MaggieKat

I like it . I really do. I didn't think I would. It is today's sample, I didn't even get it on purpose it was part of the Gemini sampler from The Perfumed Court.
I can smell the jasmine and maybe even the rose. Someone said it isn't a sweet rose and I agree. Definitely on my list of keepers.

Coutureguru
Coutureguru

SEX ... sex for breakfast, sex for lunch and sex for tea!!! Joy is sex in a bottle!! Raunchy, forbidden sex in the alleyway of a nightclub with someone you just met and didn't bother to ask a name! The aldehydes and tuberose on top are a primal scream with the civet, adding a frisson of freshly worn jockstrap not far behind! Pearls and pumps my ass :o) ... Joy is hedonistic and wanton and so so NOW!!! It strays, like it's hard to come by sister 1000, into masculine floral territory ... I'd love to smell this on some big butch rugger bugger! Automatic panty drop. In fact ... point me in the direction of the nearest rugby team ...

nofixedstars
nofixedstars

On me, Joy is simply and warmly beautiful. I do have "sweetening" chemistry, so the civet which sends other wearers running to the bath/shower doesn't dominate the florals when I wear it. I get rose, of course, and jasmine, and yes, civet (delicately), among other things; but teasing apart the notes in Joy feels a bit like pulling the golden threads out of an Oriental brocade...I don't really want to analyze it, which seems almost boorish somehow. I just want to enjoy it, which is the same feeling I have for Shalimar. It is one of the richest perfumes I've worn, even more than some of the Amouage line. It's not an in-your-face kind of richness that chokes the air out of the room for those sensitive to perfume---even my father, who has asthma, was not bothered. It does, however, surround the person wearing it with a gentle cloud of loveliness. And, yes, it's quite sensual. This is one of those classic perfumes which is rightfully lauded as such; like Shalimar or other older greats, Joy is possessed of a complex, lasting gorgeousness that is timeless.

Joy EdP - What a wonderful scent - filled with roses. Not todays sweet rosetones - here I find deep, warm, rawsexy, superfemale roses. This is a scent for the woman in the middle of her life - I have trouble to think this one would be great on a younger woman, Joy is to heavy. Just one spritz lasts all day.

Joy EdP - Wow, vilken doft- rosor, rosor, rosor. Inte dagens sötsliskiga rostoner utan varma, djupa råsexiga och superkvinnliga rostoner. En doft för kvinnan mitt i livet eller karriärskvinnan. Jag har svårt att tänka mig denna doften på en yngre kvinna - det är den för tung för. En doft som sitter otroligt bra och länge på huden.

JoieDeVivre
JoieDeVivre

I am so confused! I wanted to get the Joy Parfum luxe, but at the fragrance counter, all I can test is the EDP (which I loved). I usually prefer true perfume, for staying power, etc. So, tell me, should I spring for the luxe, or stay with the EDP? It's my schmancy gift for my 27th wedding anniversary (Yes, I was a child-bride ;) )

Cezanne
Cezanne

A man bought me Joy in 1977, it was a delightful scent, but too sophisticated for me at the time. Its a wonderful product and a joy to use.

Ladymom59
Ladymom59

Joy is a classic exquisite parfum, and as a classic, is ageless. To wear it is a true Joy... Very beautiful!

Woodelf
Woodelf

I love Joy. On me, this is an animalic floral: very warm, elegant and sophisticated. Joy is a classic - in a sea of floral fruity gourmand scents, it stands out as timeless and complex. This is definitely a scent for a mature woman or a woman who exudes an air of confidence.

Sillage is medium and Joy lasts most of the day on me, which I find to be exceptional (most scents fade on me before lunch time.) The top notes stay present all through dry-down and I like that Joy doesn't lose its character throughout the day. I look at my flacon of Joy and see it as a precious fluid, like liquid gold.

olga1780

I seem to have the most controversial and passionate relationship with Joy. After a while I figured even though i liked it a lot, i wouldn't dare to wear it in public. So I put it up for sale on ebay and it was gone in a blink of an eye. Only after it was gone i realized that I wanted it back and ended up getting another bottle. This time I bought and EDT in a bottle pictured above. Let's see if it's any different from Eau de Joy.

johngreenink
johngreenink

I have to echo fumehead's great quoteable: 'Almost indolic'. What a scent!? Is there anything as 'spottable' as Joy? I can find it miles away, and it is probably the most potent trigger of memories than any other perfume in the world (or my world at least.) But it isn't an exaggeration... when you read about the incredible power of scent to invoke memory, this is the FIRST scent that rises in my mind.

Almost indolic is really a great way to describe Joy - it's so rich, so deep, that it almost tips the scales into the aromatic areas that could be described as over-ripe, but it holds its power just at that edge and doesn't spill over.

Joy, to me, is a place... it's a urban perfume. It is the kind of scent that you will find in Paris in the Autumn; New York in the Winter; Madrid in the Spring, Stockholm in the Summer... Joy is not about spring gardens, country cottages or walks in the woods... This is the scent of luxurious oils that have been transported all over the world to be bestowed on the city dwellers who are rushing about and need to be reminded of the exotic beauties that exist in the rest of the world.

I think one could write pages and pages about this scent, and all the states of mind that it conjures up. The perfume is THAT complex. But I think that it's complexity is more about layering (in three dimensions) the scents, not by a confusion of scents that are unknowable and unnameable, but instead very distinct and recognizable. The genius behind this perfume is the memory factor - all these roses and jasmines and wood notes and ambers and civets feel so familiar and so much like times and places in our past. I may even go so far as to say that this is a scent that Carl Jung would call 'architypical' - built into a collective memory, like a collective consciousness.

The high, middle and low notes of Joy are very distinct from one another, and as some other reviewers have said, it has a deep and animist nature behind all the flowers. I think this may account for it's appeal because it touches so many different olfactory 'spots'. What is interesting, though, is how these notes fade across each other in the process... the fresh rose notes slide across the jasmine in a very long line, so that one's not sure when one begins and one ends. The multiplicity of rose types adds to the complexity: there are very different flavors of roses in this perfume, and anyone who has walked through a large rose garden will know what I mean - you can smell fresh pinks next to old golds and deep Chinese roses here.

I don't know if Joy is for every woman... it is strong scent with a heavy base and lasts a very long time, but I don't think there are many in the world who can't appreciate and respect its beauty.

fumehead

Joy EDT has that classic timelessness akin to old money socialites/ Park Avenue crowd. I love the sexy-chic musk & civet overdose at the base which gives it that unsheathed, bedraggled quality that perfectly complements the naturally fresh yet over-ripe, sweet (almost indolic) jasmine and fruity rose heart. Utterly buttery!

Its sweetness is an exuberant RIPENESS, if you’re expecting an ‘old lady’ scent you may be pleasantly surprised, to me it’s very young, attractive debutante 1930’s-1960’s era, who likes to fritter her time away flirting & partying all whilst spending vast amounts of Daddy’s cash. Edie Sedgwick comes to mind.
Joy EDT is a youthful, gregarious, over-ripe, sexy and much much more charming antidote to No5

BetsyMeszaros
BetsyMeszaros

This was my sister's favorite perfume. As a matter of fact when I got married I forgot to perfume myself with my signature scent, Shalimar, and my sister put her Joy on me. This is a very sentimental perfume for me.

I recently was given a sampler of Joy EDT and liked it. So I bought a vintage bottle of Joy which I discovered was just okay to me. Today I compared them wearing one on one wrist and one on the other. I can't see a lot of difference at first except the Joy EDT was more wearable to me as it was slightly lighter. My husband thinks the EDT smells like soap. An hour later the EDT was gone and the Joy had reached a beautiful depth. So, I have to recommend my vintage Joy perfume over the more recent EDT.

Someone said it reminded them of Gardenias. My favorite flower is the Gardenia and I can't smell it at all in Joy. So I'm just not getting that.

That being said, I will always like this but I will never love it the way I do some other perfumes.

maggiesmeow
maggiesmeow

The edt is gorgeous--odd the marked difference from the others. Now that patou has switched owners, lets see if they bring it back (edt). ps. the edt is still available according P&G website.

EDT - Jasmine
the most exquisite jasmine ever! mellow, sexy, classy. reminds me of summer holidays away in the meditteranean with the night blooming jasmine in the dusk breeze, i smell orange blossom there too which isn't listed in the notes. just love wearing this it's classy and SEXY which is hard to pull of in fragrances. i would say the edt is a floral musk with strong jasmine, orange blossom, civet/musk and fruity-peachy rose on a bed of striking yet smooth musk and civet which will put most off this perfume, but I love it! to be worn at night/evening. sweet 'n' skanky

EDP - Rose
Warning, i bought this thinking it was going to be a stronger sexier version of the EDT, boy was i wrong! it is a very diffrent perfume altogether!, this one is all about the roses, i was very suprised and dissapointed when i sprayed this on as i usually prefer EDP formulations, nevertheless this is a lovely and elegant floral, more well behaved 'ladylike' and sombre than the provocative EDT. comparing the two (i bought EDT today) the EDT is suprsingly stronger and has a lot more sillage than the EDP which just seems to fade into a boring rose.

krmarich

Ode to Joy! Legendary. Adored. Despised. Classic in every way. I was able to find an EDP from the 1990s. Nothing radiates status like Joy. When it was lauched as "the worlds nost expensive perfume", 1929 and the great depression cast a dark cloud on perfumery. It is just implied wealth and was never really far from reach to any one, JOY forged on and established a reputation unmatched in the industry.

Its is an epic fragrance in every way. Rose, jasmine, orchid and tuberose catches you off gard! The aldeydes shimmer and the civet shocks. That is joy in a nutshell. Opulent and bold, its a formal dress occasion, never to be worn casually. Even sexy lingery are required to wear it to bed! Sexy...

Joy in todays market has become a museum piece. Its a bit complex, to say the least. Its always reminds me of December, fancy holiday parties and snow. I first sampled her at Hudson's in Detroit in the 1960. Such memories! She is as radiant as the sun in midwinter. The world shines as long as this masterpiece is worn by witty ladies. Thank you, M Patou!

Celebrity=Jean Harlow

atiet97
atiet97

The hype and appraisal towards this first creation of JP got me so much, I even literally dreamt of having one. So I bought the vintage black bottle with a matching red cap. I'm so so so pleased when I finally received the package, until the first spray....

I didn't get any jasmine, rose or any other lovely notes. All I got is the civet pee scent....horrible, horrible, horrible and terrifying to wear!! Oh, how I want it badly to work with my body chemistry and enjoy JOY as many people did! Well, after testing his two other beautiful creations, too bad Mr. Patou didn't do well enough for me this time.

mymlan

@olga1780: According to Turin Eau de Joy is the same formula that is today sold as Joy Edp, a different formula of Joy parfum, and so it has always been (Turin writes very optimistic about the fact that Patou never reformulated Joy or Eau de Joy into a modern Eau de parfum). He says: "The edp uses lighter fresher qualities of both jasmine and rose and more aldehydes. To my nose it comes across as more citrusy-rosy, less abstract and less dark than the parfum. This said, it is wonderful."

jasminejzhu
jasminejzhu

A cross between Chanel No.5 and Guy Laroche Fidji that doesn't quite suit me, but I can see why others would like it.

ATTIA**
ATTIA**

I love joy the edt lasts on my skin all day! and in parfume even when ive showered i can still smell it
on my wrist,it just lingers on me and i love the dry down and i love the perfume bottles design BEAUTIFUL!!!

girlsworld
girlsworld

I so wanted Joy to be a Joy when I had it, sadly not a fragrance that liked me, way too heavy and musky on my skin.

Louw
Louw

To me, Joy is aptly-named, because it's one of those fragrances that I find really uplifting; guaranteed to cheer even on dark rainy days!

It is very over-hyped (although it's not the only offender in that sense, of course) and in my opinion it's not as special as it likes to think it is. However, this fragrance succeeds despite its hype.

It's an elegant floral with plenty of jasmine and rose yet it isn't too heavy and sweet. It dries down to a base that is slightly woody and a little bit powdery.

Strangely, my skin doesn't bring out the musk/civet notes mentioned in other reviews and I'm quite pleased about that! I agree with the reviews that say it isn't a very long-lasting perfume - I find the Eau de Parfum fades within a couple of hours to the point that there's no trace of it. Even so, it's a timeless and very feminine fragrance with that extra feelgood factor!

dianafab
dianafab

I love old-fashioned perfume with full floral, aldehydes, rose, jasmine, ylang-ylang and Gardenia.

So far Joy is my ultimate perfume.
I think you hate or love this perfume it suites my skin I always get complements when I have it on and my husband keeps hugging me telling me I smell fabulous..
It makes me feel as if I am walking through a scented garden even when I’m at work and it makes me feel happy.
When I tell people what it’s called they say “Joy and it makes you feel joy” what more could a girl wont from a perfume.
But why can you never buy it cheap or at the duty free shops?

I heard so much about it and wanted to try it when I saw it: unfortunately completely and intense stinky :(

Paulis
Paulis

It was my grandma's favourite perfum and for that I will always love it!!! She used it since she married my granpa. She used it till she was 95 years old!!!
She also had the black and red bottle!!

olesya76
olesya76

yESTERDAY i read a romance by S.E.Phillips where was description of this perfume at one of Hollywood's parties..

olga1780

Just a little addition: I find the drydown of YSL Paris (EDP) somewhat similar to Joy. I try to avoid excessive eloquence in my reviews, but rather try to be to the point and use more analogies and similarities(because personally, though it's enjoyable to read them in terms of English language, I usually can't make head or tail of the fragrance description). I hope that helps.

olga1780

I am not sure what concentration Eau de Joy means, but it dries on the skin like cologne, not even EDT. The interesting part is it stays on for good 5-6 hours, which is great. It starts off with overwhelming aldehydes (a la Chanel num. 5) which settle down within a few mintues. On me this fragrance is very shypre, and at first reminds me of the shypre part in Creation by Ted Lapidus. But Joy is by far more refined and not screechingly loud like Creation. I can also detect some soapy notes(not sure what it is), which create some sort of balance with the loud floral bouquet. And of course the unique Patou animalistic base (very similar to the one in Sublime) finishes off the composition. Yes Joy has that vintage vibe about it, but it doesn't make it any less beautiful.

I never had any associations with urine from the beggining to end. But now that I think of it after reading some reviews, I can undertand why some people find the scent offensive. I think to someone whose nose is accustomed to candy-sweet or fruity scents that have been mass produced during the last 10 years, smelling a classical perfume with aldehydic, shypre, or civet notes would be quite a jolt.
After I first smelled Shalimar and Boucheron, I wasn't very excited on the the fist sniff either. I think the more you learn and try classics the more you appreciate them.
If you are a perfume collector, having Joy is a must!
I consider myself a perfume user, but I am glad i was able to add it to my collection, as it is one of Patou's most unique and memorable fragrances.

olga1780

I finally got my vintage eau de Joy in a nice box with papers inside. Right now I'm in heaven....will right a review as soon as I come down from heaven. lol

blissfull
blissfull

This is my fragrance!! Unfortunately it is difficult to find it these days.
My Mom introduced this to me when I was a kid, and we still use it til now.
I collect its bottles, also the stone one.

It's the scent of all beautiful fragrance, this is THE PERFUME.

This is my love at the first smell, a true love and my forever love..of fragrance.

Men also loves this, seducing yet very classy.

I love this one!

there's no bad joy, there's only fake joy

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

I can’t ever remember wearing Joy, even though it’s been so ubiquitous for so long. I vaguely remember trying it on paper multiple times over the years and always finding it too floral. However, it was time to take the plunge and actually dab some on to see what Joy is all about. My guess is that the EdP sample that I tried is the latest reformulation, but it is certainly reminiscent of what I have smelled before when testing, and on other people.

Joy is a prototypical floral scent, starting out bright, sharp, green and aldehydic, with a bouquet of flowers that are hard to identify as individual notes. I smell something slightly indolic, some softer notes from the ylang-ylang, and a heaping portion of lily-of-the valley, a note that can easily put me off a perfume. As it dries down, the florals mellow and the tuberose becomes evident. After a while the big flowers just wither away into a faint, slightly woody but nondescript base.

The sillage is clearly there only for the first couple of hours, and the whole thing is gone by 3-4 hours. This makes me think that the sample that I have is a reformulated EdtT, and that I should find the vintage EdP version for comparison. Based on what I had to sniff, I confirmed that Joy is way too floral for my taste, and was a little disappointed by the lack of any substantial base notes.

balzac
balzac

Joy is not the most expensive perfume in the world...Christian X is.
BUT I'd still purchase it if it were the most expensive perfume. I absolutely love this fragrance. I love the animalic notes, along with the fem quality it lingers...the aldehydes are a bit heavy, which makes it a very solid fragrance. yet on dry down, it's simply astounding. I am elated this works well with my chemistry. I can completely appreciate JOY, it's a gem and a pleasure to have.

scentiment
scentiment

I got a sample of the 1932 edition bottle of JOY at a flea market in Stockholm and was OVERJOYED to get a Jean Patou scent (and the "most expensive" one to boot!) for free (we couldn't open the bottle at the market so they gave it to me along with the rest of the parfumes that I bought for almost nothing). Once I got home I used prongs to get it open and I was so devastated! It reeked of civet. I cannot stand civet and it was even worse on my skin and it just would not wear off. It just kept smelling animalistic (in a bad way) and I finally gave up and gave it to a friend who can handle (and loves) civet. She was overJOYed of course, but all I'm left with is a sour feeling that "the most expensive perfume" isn't fit for me.

geekweevil
geekweevil

I bought a tester vial of this, and used it up in a few days. I couldnt stop spraying it. It was The Win.

I love a good rose scent- until I tried this, Paris was my favorite for rose (in the 90s it was Body Shop Tea Rose)
This one has shot to the top 3 all time favorites.

I suspect civet is processed differently by different people. I cannot distinguish the civet in this other than thnking OMG I LOVE THIS SMELL! Civet + Musk + Roses. Yes please.

I often put this on before I go to bed, it fills my nose with a wonderful calming rosy scent.

Unfortunately the Parfum only lasts about 2 hours on me. Mabye, like Errol Flynne, it just burns itself out in glory and dies young.
I need to get meself a bottle of the EDT as well.

larali

I paired Joy (from a sample vial) with a bright yellow sweater today, it just seemed fitting. Men were holding doors for me like never before! This stuff really does seem to have an effect on them. I don't think it was the sweater :)

I can't temper my disgust for this "perfume." If I hadn't gotten my sample directly from Nordstrom, I would be certain that I got something counterfeit because I wouldn't believe that anyone would pay so much money to smell like urine and rodent feces. I'm sorry, but this smells like the rabbit cage I had as a child if I'd missed one day cleaning it. It smells like a rose bush that has been urinated on by a raccoon. I didn't think anything could be more offensive than the body odor aroma of Shalimar, but this absolutely takes the cake. I've tried to inhale it about 10 times now, and I gag severely each time. For all the people who say it's a classic and how it smells like powder, roses, and jasmine --
it might smell like those things, but aren't you kinda forgetting about the urine?! I live in a huge city with a ridiculously enormous homeless population. This is very close to the scent of a homeless person wearing rose perfume. "Unique" does not always mean "better".

"The world's most expensive perfume" is the most successful gimmick of any product in history. It convinces women that this fragrance is so exclusive and desirable that their minds actively seek out roses and jasmine while tuning out the fact that there is mostly urine in the bottle.

When my mother put it on, my father could smell it on her. I asked him (without telling him my own opinion) what he thought of it. He looked disgusted and said, "Is that really perfume? It smells like a horse stable." DO NOT wear this on a date, and don't wear it around anyone you don't wish to offend. And don't wear it around people who don't know you well because while you are smelling roses, they might only smell urine, and they might wonder about your hygiene but not feel close enough to you to ask what's going on.

gatsby
gatsby

I think JOY is an experience. Every day, the women who wear this is indeed a spectacular apparition. Dramatic, sarcastic, provocative, lovable, and after all... unexpected and not with an "every time" happy end... Like a true story! Definitely, not for everyone. If JOY was an actress in other life, it was for sure Greta Garbo. A "mask" of joy that can hide a drama, a tear or a moment of waiting long as an eternity.

larali

A leather bound photo album full of happy memories; a fluffy, purring cat; watching the sun rise with a loved one. These are images that Joy evokes. Sunny and elegant, yet with a quiet classy demeanor. To me it sings of a happy contentment rather than exuberance. It cannot be compared to many other fragrances marketed today-- this perfume describes a fundamental and coveted human emotion: bliss. I am not worthy to wear Joy, but to anyone who wants to experience its beauty, I won't discourage you.

ReinaT
ReinaT

I grew up around Joy, it was my mothers favorite perfume and I have 4 bottles of it today. It is a timeless classic, abit heavy on the rose scent for me, but I always get compliments when I wear it and it does seem to work well for almost every woman. It is exceedingly floral and feminine. Once dubbed as the most expensive perfume in the world, it no longer holds that title, but it is still expensive to acquire. My mother loved Joy and Estee Lauder's Beautiful (which I can't wear), she used to say "Beautiful is the poor man's Joy", well, I don't know if I agree with that, because Beautiful is also a costly perfume. I will say the Joy is more on the rose side and Beautiful more on the Jasmine side. Both are nice, but Joy is a classic, it is unmistakeable when it's worn and it has been adored by countless women for decades, and there is a reason why - it is simply one of the most lovely feminine fragrances in the world.

oona noir
oona noir

The edt is heavenly roses (flanked by florals) on a bed of civet. I have loved this perfume from the first time I smelled it, when I was 15 or so. At the time, I was wearing Tea Rose, but I would have happily traded up to Joy if I had been allowed to! Probably a little too sensual for a teenager, but I wouldn't have cared. When I smell it, I think of a very polite, feminine woman who is not easily controlled. Joy is so submissive at first glance and so feral once further explored and you have to like both sides of that to enjoy it. This was (supposedly) Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis' signature scent for a long time, and I think it fits that type of woman very well. The type who looks easier to understand than she really is. (Also, the type who has the means to back up a Joy habit!)

gazelle
gazelle

My husband bought my first bottle of Joy from overseas when he was in the Navy. He went absolutely romantic when I'd wear it. I smelled the roses, he smelled the CIVET!

I have not yet had the privilege of trying this scent myself, but on others it smells wonderful!

Perhaps the civet is the reason Keith Richards (Rolling Stones guitarist)wears the pure parfum for deodorant...

I am hoping to get a sample of this soon. As of late, I have been really enjoying powerful rich French perfumes and stunning vintages.

Keep `em coming ladies! :-)

mymlan

I had great hopes on this one, classic lover as I am. But no, in three words: Too much civet.

Edit: And 1,5 years later it's on my want list, in three words: I love civet! (may 2012)

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

nope, I don't like this one I'm afraid to say. It is literally headache inducing and though I love Jasmine and Tuberose, this is kind of a 'death by' version. The civet is very prominent to my nose and gives a definate ammoniac, urinous edge to the scent which is not 'powdery' to me as others have experienced it but truly, clearly, potent and unsubtle - like a punch in the face with a fistful of money from an old queen.

Cereza
Cereza

This is a true classic, it should be applied with caution as it's so strong and powerful.
For me it opened with sharp and soapy adelhyedes and I must say I'm not fan of those and thereofre I've always been afraid I might dislake all those clasics with it in.
After the soapy opening it changes to more pleasent scent, which is very powdery and feminine. Now I get mostly wonderful roses and the powderyness and sweetness of jasmin which for my nose is more than lovely.
I can feel the weird metallic note and can not understand where did that come from, but as it has a billion of notes and flowers it's not weird that I cannot understand. I suspect Lily of the Valey should take the blame.

I'm weirdly surprised and cannot understand - do I like this? I think yes, it's very complex, classy, but not for everyone. I can only agree with missk...It is very good and likeable, but I cannot imagine myself wearing this as it's too royal for any occasion I could ever go to.

If you love this, like I do, try Popy Moreni original for a COFFEE interpretation of the Joy concept!

togagirl
togagirl

hm, don't know why, but this smells like nothing but nail polish remover on me. very disappointed. I am not the kind that would slam a classic because "it's not good enough for me," but all day after I applied this, I caught the cutex scent over & over, and not much of anything else. Sadly, JOY might be (for some) like the Emperor's new clothes, all nail polish remover and no lovely at all.

idressyou
idressyou

One of those that smells lovely on others, but turns evil with my chemistry.

At first application, it's a gorgeous blast of bright aldehydes, tuberose, jasmine, sandalwood and musk... then comes the earthy rose and something citrus, mixed with more sandalwood and the beginnings of something animalic...

if only it would stay here...

unfortunately, about 1/2 an hour later I start catching whiffs of cat pee and mothballs mixed with the white florals and rose...

as time goes by, the cat pee and mothballs just keep intensifying until they completely drown out the rest of the notes, giving me one of those twingy headaches in my eyebrow... the point where I must scrub.

For those who also had problems with Joy's civet eating them alive, I recommend trying Fleurs de Rocailles extrait (vintage, if you can find it) for a complex floral that has some animalic qualities... be sure you get Fleurs de Rocaille with an "s" on the end, and not Fleur (without the "s").

floriana
floriana

Incredible mix of may rose and "grasse" jasmin. Elegant, unique, heavy, headly aristocratic,luxury, noble, timeles, grand floral and noble classic.
Longlasting, after few hours wrap you like a scarf of pure, refined, rich jasmin smell.

sunshineandroses
sunshineandroses

There was a lady in my office that wore this every day and she wore it well. I loved the enchanting odor whenever I had to work with her. I went to the dept store and put a tiny drop on my wrist to see how it smelled on me. It was just not good at all. I couldn't understand how it was so special on her and ick on me. It's the way of these classics, they react to the wearer and their skin. That's why we get these love/hate reviews on the classics. Not everyone can wear them well !

cisco
cisco

I finished my bath, put on Taylor of London Rose Powder, and spritzed with Joy. I just hope that cute,sad looking little Civet didn't have to be tortured so I can smell exactly like a wild rose bush. Oh no, I bet that cute big eyed Civet was tortured; after all, this is Joy. I will never buy it again. Of course I am going to appreciate what I have. It does make a statement like no other.

It was Joy by Jean Patou's allure and greatness that urged me to accept a very generous sample from Catbiscuit when it was so kindly offered to me. Being the scent of choice for almost 80 years to various celebrities and members of the royal family, Queen Elizabeth II herself, I was expecting to be blown away by this fragrance's luxuriousness.

The first time this fragrance touched my skin, let's just say it was a nightmare. Could I honestly smell a child's bedroom after they had wet the bed? I was absolutely horrified to say the least. After a few minutes, Joy dried down to something very metallic and harsh on my skin, like rusted metal or the scent of steel wool rusting ever so slowly on the side of the kitchen sink. It then rounded off into a hay stack type smell. Very country, but nothing like the described notes.

I was game enough to test again, however this time on a piece of card, rather than on my skin. I now understand why so many like this fragrance. Joy is rich and floral, (as you would expect from 10600 flowers and dozens of roses in the composition). I'll agree that the scent is mature, but certainly not old lady.

The opening is a strong dose of powdered roses. Very much like the classic English Rose scented talcum powder by Yardley. Tuberose and jasmine do feature quite a bit, however the rose and aldehydes like to dominate the composition.

Joy is very extravagant to my nose. I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing this unless I was surrounded by gold and red velvet fashioned chairs and wearing a heavily jewelled crown on my head. This is indeed a fragrance fit for a queen, but not really suited to a plain, old, Aussie girl like myself.

In terms of sillage, Joy is a big one. More than 3 sprays and I think everyone in a close vicinity would be gasping for air. Take that as a warning. Joy isn't a scent to mess with. This is a straight-up conservative floral with a touch of royalty.

kastehelmi

You make a great point cinsot, about Nursing Homes filled with ladies wearing Britney Spears and Paris Hilton perfumes--BUT in seventy years, these girls you speak of will have changed perfumes ten times at least! Sticking to one perfume seems less common now than in the days of Joy. I actually think it will be Coco Mademoiselle filling the nursing homes-I have smelled that one far more often than les eaux des célébritées...We should all have manners, but we all have preferences--it's not taboo to bash Paris Hilton fragrances, and I would be more than happy to, so why can't we all just take each review with a grain of salt? I know that civet lovers who review something positively may appreciate a fragrance that would horrify me-I imagine they can make the same judgement about me, in turn.

Sissi
Sissi

at first spray you get a cloyish oily
texture of civet and synthtic rose' tuberose with it's distinctive scent almost equivalent
to gardenia or a muskier version of the
original rose makes it's presence
i'm not a fan of green notes and there's
a lot in here i do smell a bit of aldehydes but it's not prominate and it's diluted by the strong usuge of civet as the drydown begins there is an
distant but noticible note of peach
grounded ylang ylang hold it's own.

the end notes is a strong presence of orris root a mild blend of sandalwood
and musk.
before i'v tried this i allways Wanted this in my collection because it is so
acclaimed from all different perfumers
and even actress Vivien Leigh said it was her favorite perfume' but for me
this is'nt my favorite i don't hate it
but i don't love it and the reason for
that is they put too much civet in this
and made it too oily if they put less civet and put a little more aldehydes
and made it a bit dryer i whould love it.

But i love the color and shape of the bottle comparing to luxurious gold.

adele l
adele l

This one agrees with my chemistry- i don't like a lot of aldehydes or things that smell hopelessly old fashioned either. Intoxicating tuberose and jasmine, slightly naughty underneath (civet is behaving)! Such a powerhouse my boyfriend smelled one spray immediately from two rooms away. Apply with extreme caution after ensuring that it works with your body chemistry. Absolutely beautiful!

Wombat
Wombat

Whew! I used to love this back in the 70's. In fact, I saved it for special occasions for so long that it went bad and I'd dump it in the bathtub just to do something with it. I hadn't smelled it in years. I just got a knock off sample of it and now I just can't stand it! It's so SHARP that it gave me a headache and I had to wash it off! Yes, it was a duplicate, not the real thing, and there could be a slight difference, but I think either the ingredients changed or my tastes changed!

DOMINOCAT
DOMINOCAT

I remember a friend of mine attempting to bring me a small sample of the Parfum many years ago after a stay in the Arab Emirates...I say attempting because the bottle broke in her luggage! I never got to smell it. As time passed it slipped from my mind and I never saw it advertised anywhere. Recently I came across the EDT very reasonably priced on Ebay so I got it. Wow...I love this fragrance! I get the Rose immediately then it dries down to a soft mixture of Jasmine and Musk, very warm and powdery, even when I've chosen to wear another fragrance for the day I sometimes cannot resist nipping to my dressing table and spritzing the back of my hand so I can sniff it! Must now try the Parfum version.

hathor
hathor

Help!! i think my Joy edp must have gone off. i've only had it a couple of years and kept it properly in its box, so it shouldn't have done. i've just read all these lovely reviews and i wish i could experience it like this, but the last couple of times i've used it it just smells like a vase of old flowers in stale water that should have been thrown out a week ago. i bought it because it made me think of the jasmine in the spring breeze along the sea-front boulevard in Italy. perhaps it just suits Italy and warm weather, because that's where i bought it. i seem to have got through about 1/4 of the bottle at some point, but at the moment we just aren't getting on. i once read a review which described it as smelling of banknotes, which i agree with, but first it overpowers me and gives me a headache, then it fades away to almost nothing, and leaves me feeling anything but joyful, more slightly dissapointed. oh, by the way, my cat,whose taste is impeccable, gave it the thumbs down, pulled a face and took two steps backwards.(chanel no 5 makes him purr like mad)

IamWoman
IamWoman

Powerful, aristocratic, classic beauty...not for the timid. Apply with care.

Lady Love
Lady Love

Joy is really timeless like a beautiful bouquet of flowers,that never gets old. This is the reason why this perfume will never die, and will never need to be drastically reformulated. This makes us understand why is one of the greatest perfumes of all time.

To me Joy is less Green, less longlasting and more warm than Sung by Alfred Sung. Joy is a glamorous and tender scent, soft and never overwhelming. I can smell the peach, the lily of the valley, the ylang ylang and the jasmin, What a beautiful combination!

The civet part is strong, maybe many people may not like this, but for me this makes Joy more interesting.The bottle desing is unique and luxurious.

EskimoKissez
EskimoKissez

Very heavy, rich, musky, and cloying. Something about this doesn't agree with my nose.

However, on a good note, I think it is warm, elegant, and classic... It reminds me of something that an elderly woman of decadence would wear.

Candy tuberose with aldehydes. It's sweet candy flowers with only the faintest mothball edge, which is pretty typical on me when it comes to white florals. (Jasmine, lily of the valley, gardenia and tuberose can all go so very wrong on me) It smells very French somehow, and it's very pretty, but heavier application really amps up the mothballs on me and it becomes dreadful fast. If your chemistry can deal with this, it's a classic. If not, it's a pass. If you're a tuberose fan, you must try it.

dalmajen
dalmajen

My husband bought Joy for me as a gift. This was way back in the late seventies, and it was the little black glass bottle with the red top.(still have it). But, alas! as i have Never been a fan of floral's, this was definitly not for me! I found it so floral and cloying, made me dizzy! I was younger then, and thought then it was for more mature ladies. Even today i find this perfume overpowering! And I have never liked light fragrences, but suppose this is due to the heavy floral nature of this perfume. I have known other people who have worn this, but it seems to me they have put far too much on. It does smell nice from a distance, but avoid getting in small spaces, as can be super strong!

valarian
valarian

I experienced Joy for the first time today and it completely bowled me over! A large perfume with a heaviness to it which surprised me as the name Joy alludes to lightness and laughter but Joy can be deep too. They say it was a favorite of the Queen Mother and for me that sort of fits! All the heavies are centre stage in this and it would not not suit anyone wanting to fade into the background. I agree with some of the other comments, “This Perfume Wears You”! Personally I loved it but would be sensitive to others disliking it especially when worn in confined spaces. However, that said if you love this huge larger than life perfume you would willingly allow it to walk all over you, for maybe a day or night. Then a much needed rest would be in order!! The Civet bit doesn’t put me off as that part is probably synthetic now anyway! The Civet, for me, gives it the interesting edge like hot skin. I loved that about this perfume, it would be too sweet without it. I would wear this outside where others would get a waft as I walked past rather than an inescapable onslaught. I would also wear for an evening of seduction. This scent gives out very strong signals, and the opposite sex will notice you, doubt not! Beware if you are planning a platonic kiss at the end of the night! Overall, I’m honored to have this Classic in my perfume stash but will only wear when appropriate!

kastehelmi

Thanks NebraskaLovesScent for the sample!

Sherapop and several others here said it: Joy is a litmus test for sensitivity to civet.

I hate this-I knew I would, but I tried it. Civet is often described as having an "almost fecal" note-the tiniest dose well-blended is not offensive that way, but this is a classic that almost frightens me. Even seeing the picture of the civet cat among the note listings in fragrances on this website creeps me out-how can this smell be sensual? How can anybody find this beautiful? It smells expensive- like a purebred dog smells expensive!

Donc....chacun à son goût, chacun à son nez!

PS People used to wear civet in the days when everybody bathed less often-perhaps it did smell nice then-covering up body odors. But without the body odors of old competing with the perfume, the perfume makes you smell dirtier...be alert, and be aware!

nyoka
nyoka

I do love this.Ahhhhhhh the tuberose,The dry down is softer,like finally resting after a long beautidul,exciting day.It has stood the test of time.Women of all ages can wear it.A little goes a long way.

sky76sky
sky76sky

Geeeesh, I know Joy isn't for everyone, but it seems the aldehydes have gone to some people's heads!

Joy joins a set of full-on womanly perfumes of a certain time. Very animalic, leaden with strange, intoxicating flowers. Not quite real, almost overkill....like a technicolour picture of a massive vase of flowers, their scent emphasied by the use of olfactory filters & re-touching.

My mother would never wear Joy, although it was popular with the "in set" in the 1960's. She always said it smelled better on other people, never on the wearer. A suitor tried to pass off a large, expensive bottle of Joy as a gift to entice her to go out with him. Pity his ex was called Joy.

So, for me, too....Joy is better found on other people & at a distance. Too close & she begins to take over your personal space.

Taliera

Joy is like a soulmate who is with another woman. We are in love, but he cannot leave her for me. All because of body chemistry... It is heartbreaking.

Joy is opulance, elegance and romance. It was appropriately named, as it brings me "joy". Joy is rich and old fashioned, and very pungent - like a bouquet of expensive flowers that permeates the room. We need more perfumes like this! Too much flavored lolly water on the market these days...

Unfortunately, Jean Patou's JOY edp does not fill me with joy. I want to love it, but from the very first moment I am accosted by the dark, heavy civet, which overtakes all of the florals and makes the composition very hard for me to appreciate.

I love the bottle; I love the story; I love the idea. But JOY is a real litmus test of sensitivity to civet, a consequence no doubt, at least in part, of the fact that few modern perfumes contain this note. Rather than framing the flowers, I find that the overwhelming civet causes them to wilt!

However, I have not given up yet. My beautiful 2.5oz edp waits patiently for me to take it up again. Who knows, perhaps it's all a question of application. Accustomed as we have become to evanescent, fly-by-night fragrances claiming to be perfumes, perhaps the key to JOY is to apply only the faintest dab, in the manner of a vrai parfum.

For now, I am civeted out and crave a hot bath!

(I should perhaps add here that my cat seems to like JOY a lot...)

vincy_gal
vincy_gal

A true clasic that will hopefully be available forever.

Tuberose
Tuberose

Wonderfully womanly , rich ,rounded golden jasmine with rose and a touch of civet. Classically beautiful and elegant.

milena
milena

A joy of a scent simply divine, a classic. Bought it today, and not dissapointed.

tana2329
tana2329

I combine a spritz of Joy and a spritz of Flowerbomb. It takes off the "old fashioned edge" off Joy . They balance each other out perfectly with my chemistry. Actually, the two combined is what I thought Flowerbomb should have smelled like given the name, instead of all cashmere softness.

the_good_life
the_good_life

This review is based on the Eau de Parfum.

The Platonic essence of "old-fashioned women's perfume." Your choice whether "old-fashioned" means classic or dated. One things is for sure: they don't make 'em like this anymore. Because I suppose most people don't want 'em like this anymore. I can't help but smell a 40+ conservative high-end designer clad society-lady within these vapors. It would truly seem out of place on a young 21st century woman, in the way that Vintage Tabarome would seem like an olfactory oversized suit on a 20-year old bachelor. These may only be conventions, and the perfumista will ignore them - but conventions are pretty powerful, after all.
It is a brilliant perfume and I cannot add much to the descriptions. A peachy aldehydic top, which I find better-tempered than in Chanel No.5, whose aldehydes knock me over. A perfect heart of blended florals - indolic jasmine, noticeable muguet and rose (as well as Ylang, orris and orchid) and slowly emerging spicy sandalwood and musk. A pronounced civet note hovers above it all from the opening, to slightly recede into the floral mix, adding some raunchiness to the bouquet of innocence. Add the wonderful art deco flacon (though the EdP stopper is only plastic) and you have one of the all-time greats of 20th century perfume culture.

Sassy1
Sassy1

I've never smelled the original formula so don't know any difference. Actually, I see no point in falling in love with a scent you can't get anymore...So, as to the current blend, I have to say it's my absolute favorite floral of all. It works so perfectly with my chemistry I get compliments every time I wear it. I'm an admitted aldehyde and flower junkie so this one's my golden ticket!

Malegria
Malegria

Thanks to generosity of a Fragrantica member, I tried a vintage version. I am surprised, because I think I like the new one more.
The old version smells a little bit like ammonia and acetone, it is of course very subtle and you can still recall the familiar Joy, but all the time I had it on me, I could not get rid of the feeling that I just removed the nail polish!!!If you can survive all this in the beginning, you will be granted with a most beautiful night blooming jasmine - opulent, sparkling scent that you will fall in love with.

The new version seems to be more straightforward - instead of opening little by little, it gives you everything at once.

guest_A. Rose
guest_A. Rose

A hazy, sunlit flicker--like seeing the gleaming smiles of 30's film stars light up a screen or morning sunlight glimmer across a creamy, satin gown. "Joy" is bright but quiet, reflective; intensely buoyant but in a slightly wistful way. This is passed time of sunny mornings in a backyard garden (many generations of mornings), languid jazz records, gently singing about love and change--hope in a bottle.

"Joy" opens on a fresh, aldehydic burst of citrusy-tart and creamy rose; fleshy, creamy-pink in impression and slightly soapy in a "cold cream and rosewater" sort of way. It moves into a period of banana-jam and creme pudding, dusted over with a slightly pinchy powder, but still lush with roses. The jamminess evolves into a liquid sweetness, freshly fluid yet syrupy--like the contradictory texture of mead or riesling; astringent while remaining honeyed in texture and golden, golden, golden all the way. The champagne and roses tartness of the mid-notes deepen into something slightly polished and woody, yet still soapy-creamy; the sandalwood emerges. Sandalwood then mixes with a breathy, slightly ripe saltiness--the musk undertones. Although "Joy" is dense, oily and rich throughout, it always feels clean; there is a fresh, salty briskness to it that tempers any heavy animalic touches or overripe blooms (following correspondence with a P.R. rep, I was under the impression that actual "Civet" has been substituted by a lab composition and that might be the "change" sniffers have noticed between older "Joy" potions and the newer ones). "Joy" is pure sunshine--but not necessarily the giddy sunshine of youth; there is experience in this morning, the understand that life is precious and that each new day should be cherished and awed at; appreciated for it's very unlikely existence. "Joy" makes me think of the quiet optimism of an Art Deco sunbeam; refined, yet simple in its honesty: Life is beautiful. As is "Joy".

vena w
vena w

A friend had received this as a gift and it smelled wonderful on her. I tried it and smelled like cat urine. Something about a fragrance heavy with roses turns into something really bad when mixed with my chemistry.

Tiramisu
Tiramisu

I bought a Joy EDT mini sample,and I was like a cat with cat-nip; I loved it so much I had to buy a 30ml EDP. Then bought a large tube of Joy lotion and a small tube of Joy bath gel. First I got a slightly aldehyde- melted plastic smell, like heated jasmine and roses, which I was not sure about. Then I noticed a soft rich floral perfume developing which I couldn't get enough of. After a time this smell dried down to a quiet powdery floral scent, which made me want to apply it more and more to re-capture the smell of the middle notes I kept craving. I can't tell if it just fades away or if I have over-dosed my olfactory nerves and simply can't smell it any more, walking around offending everyone! No one has ever commented on it,either positively or negatively, so I suppose it must have failed to last. I am having a break from it for now, to see if it seems different after I've abstained a while!

esprit2fly

Joy is not a common fragrance. You can love it or hate it. I love it.

randik
randik

This has got to be the biggest disappointment in my collection of perfumes... I bought the EDP unsniffed (I know...not too smart) based on some of the heavenly reviews I've read. It seemed like a rare gem: a treasure that would melt into my skin and paint the most wonderful scenes in my mind. I ordered it, anticipation sky-high, and when I finally received it and spritzed it on to my wrist I could not believe my own sensory system! Sniffing it was literally painful!It was like hitting a concrete WALL. What's more: after two hours or so, the scent had totally evaporated (!) I really, really wanted to get a long with this refined and alluring type of scent, but alas... JOY is not going to be my friend...

rosesbecomeme
rosesbecomeme

Urban Skies has it ..it is pure gold and a total joy to wear. It's really one of the most beautiful perfumes in the World.

dannynguy3n
dannynguy3n

Joy by Jean Patou indeed brings me joy. Loads of flowers, jasmine and roses. Classic fragrance but not as old-fashioned as No5 .

classic
classic

Just love it. Very classic, warm, fresh, subtle, lasting and yes it not only is expensive, it smells expensive and men seem to like it.

Mals86
Mals86

Elegant and beautiful; classic French perfume in the best sense of the words. Having said that, I must also say that it is not for me. I found the aldehydes far smoother than in many aldehydic scents (I'm talking about YOU, No. 5!), and the peach/green opening is luscious. Then the rose and jasmine heart opens up, and is absolutely huge, warm and enveloping. However, it is composed of so many, many flowers that it smells cooked, like floral jam, which I find over-the-top and opposite to my preferences. The jasmine is fairly indolic and the civet is more animalic than "clean."

I tend to find classic French perfumes too indolic/animalic for my personal taste. Certainly I would only wear Joy in very private, romantic circumstances, and definitely not "out" somewhere.

Edit: I'm growing accustomed to the deep animalic base of many classic perfumes. I'd still be careful where I wore them, but I now find them fascinating rather than off-putting.

Elisabeth
Elisabeth

It`s warm, sweet rosehoneylike. But one can detect the lily of the valley- if you like them...
I used to like it better, but then I had the perfume. Maybe the eau de toilette comes out less sweet.
Anyway- today too `oldfashioned` for my nose.

nicolita
nicolita

I consider this is one of the best in the market; delicate, gentle, soft, sexy and with personality.

belle de sud
belle de sud

Joy, a sublime rosy -jasmine creation, is absolutely the essence of femininity and le boudoir. The civet base-note is a favorite bottom for me and I never tire of the rich, opulent aura of Joy. Almeras placed himself in the upper crust of parfumeurs with Joy which has rightly maintained a large following of fans for 80 years....though I doubt it is still "the costliest perfume in the world" as advertised in the 1950's advertisements. 5 stars!

Leesee
Leesee

Joy, arguably the best known fragrance ever produced by the House of couturier Jean Patou, was predicated on the notion that, by combining a staggering amount of rose and jasmine absolutes in just the right proportions, one could create the impression of a single, grand, and impossibly gorgeous flower. Considering that almost 80 years have passed since Joy (which was created by Henri Almeras) was first introduced, the fact that the scent is still debated, worn, and, yes -- treasured even now, speaks not only to the artistry of Almeras, but also to the genius of Patou.

Taliera

So good on the testing strips! So bad on my skin! It smells like mashed up jasmine flowers on me. Foul.

Carla
Carla

I bought this on my trip to Paris years ago and to me it smells like "old money"! Much too strong in the Parfum and the Eau De Parfum and not much lighter in the Eau de Toilette/Cologne Had they formulated this combination of alluring notes in the Eau de Fraiche not for the price point but for the lower concentration then it could have well become an everday luxury scent for me.

vtothek
vtothek

My mother loves this scent, mostly because it makes her nostalgic. As a classic I can appreciate it in the bottle, but when I spray it on the florals immediately turn sour. Jasmine is always a hit or miss and I think it's much to blame for the problems with this fragrance. As always, it depends on one's chemistry and perhaps also the notes it works with. It's also very detecable when wearing it, I should add. I'd recommend it if you're crazy about classics or really love rose and jasmine scents.

Taliera

Joy is exactly what its name says: joy. It has a light, joyful beginning of jasmine and bright smelling flowers. The heart is richly floral, and pleasurable in the extreme - like a bouquet of flowers that you can lie on and roll in. The base is sensual and complex.
It is a classic scent, which I am aware of being too old for me - and for that reason I thought I would like EnJoy better (the modern verson) but it is so different; not nearly as good as Joy.
I would like to get it, but I am still weighing up a few factors - the price, it being too old for me, and the encounter of having tried it on my skin once and it not changing off the top notes. I must give it some thought...

Scent lover
Scent lover

I believe some of the perfumes needs a time to be appreciated. So I kept trying Joy EDP on me and finally I started to like it. I find the green notes to my nose slightly bitter as an opposite for fresh flower smell. I can appreciate it even more when I read the history of the perfume. It is not for everyone and appearantly wasnt right for me at first, but as with Chanel No. 5 there is just a perfect timing in everyone's life when you can UNDERSTAND the perfume and now I can understand Joy's joy :)

dollladie
dollladie

There is NOTHING like it on earth! When I was young - 35+ years ago, I saw it at Bendel's, and knew I had to possess it. It took me 3 paydays! I miss it; must try it again. It's so sensuous, but womanly; not girly!

Marianne

Today, I got a sample of it and it smelled EXACTLY like I imagined it after reading some descriptions about it. (Roses, jasmine, aldehydes). Some might call this kind of perfume classic, but it's just the kind of perfume I hate. Maybe, it smells different on different people...Anyway, I feel too young for wearing it.
It reminds me of First Van Cleef & Arpels, Chanel No.5 and Coco.

esprit2fly

Somebody said "Joy is the Ferrari in the world of perfumes."
Yes, I agree with him and I am happy to be in the possession of a Ferrari. Ops, I mean a Joy. =)

Marianne

I would really like to test this famous perfume and discover what makes it the second most often bought one in the world, but unfortunately, I can't find it anywhere in Austria. There is no store that offers it so I could test it. And I don't want to pay 4o Euros or more for a fragrance that's possibly not my taste. But when I read takemyhusbandplz's description, I don't think that i would like it. (I hate aldehydes like in Chanel No.5)

guest_Diorissimo or Die
guest_Diorissimo or Die

I can smell the aldehydes in this and it does make my allergies go off the charts, too. But, I really love the fragrance. I have found that I do not wear the EDT well at all. But, when the parfum dries down on me, I like the fragrance. In fact, I LOOOOVE it! Now, to cope with the allergies :-).

What might be considered, too, is the age and the upkeep of the Joy in question. I bought some used EDT a while back and it did not do well on me. But, I just bought a brand spankin' new bottle of parfum and it seems to do a little better.

takemyhusbandplz
takemyhusbandplz

On me Joy is aldehyde heavy and has a super synthetic smelling heavy jasmine note that is just awful. Also something in this makes my allergies go off the charts. Simply horrible smelling stuff in my opinion. For the record, I've tried this one many times and I wanted to like it. I envy those that this works on. It's definitely not for me.

Urban Skies

I recently re-visited this fragrance, so I'll add to my earlier comment. There are some very heavy animalic notes. Far too much civet for me to actually wear in public! I mainly own this one for its historical-reference value. Probably works best with more "mature" body chemistry. However, it certainly does smell expensive (reminds me of the rich ladies at church), although is probably no longer "the costliest parfum in the world" as Jean Patou originally marketed it to be.

Urban Skies

Classic, warm, elegant, refined. Very ladylike. The frangrance equivalent of gold jewelry.

2007

JOY for WOMEN by Jean Patou EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY 2.5 OZ
Joy by Jean Patou Eau de Parfum Jewel Spray 1.6 oz
Joy by Jean Patou Eau de Parfum Jewel Spray 1.6 oz
Gift Set 2.5oz
Jean Patou Joy Coffret Eau De Parfum Spray 75ml 2.5oz Body Cream 200ml 6.7oz 2pcs
Jean Patou Joy Eau De Parfum Natural Spray New Packaging 75ml 2.5oz
Joy by Jean Patou Parfum Deluxe 0.5 oz
Parfum
Joy by Jean Patou Parfum Deluxe
Joy by Jean Patou Parfum Deluxe

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Jean Patou Joy fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Jean Patou Joy, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Joy by Jean Patou. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Joy by Jean Patou represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.