Designers » I-K » Oriental Fougere « Groups

Patou pour Homme Jean Patou for men
dislike

leather
Patou pour Homme Jean Patou for men Pictures

Patou pour Homme by Jean Patou is a Oriental Fougere fragrance for men. Patou pour Homme was launched in 1980. Top notes are lavender, clary sage and basil; middle notes are patchouli, geranium, vetiver and fir; base notes are leather, civet, vanilla and tonka bean.

Lavender Clary Sage Basil

Ho Hang Club

Patou pour Homme Fragrance Reviews

Monsieur Aramis
Monsieur Aramis

3.5 from 5 - JPPH seems to me to be a Patchouli reference, a fresh one and nevertheless with excellent lasting. I especially enjoyed it in the 90ies after having become tired from the new synthetic fragrance generation, where JPPH worked a marvelous, classic antithesis to the simple water 90ies, perfect fresh spice. They should relaunch!
I have a personal memory story to JPPH, I remember a pharmacy-drugstore in Wurttemberg in the 80ies where the owner seemed to be a fragrance lover as he had a small perfume rack, and he surely was a connaisseur for his excellent selection. He just kept 4 men's fragrances for sale: Ebene from Balmain, Rothschild, Jean Patou pour homme, and the 4th was a cheap but not bad one, the old version Hildegard Braukmann (which was very similar to Rive Gauche pour homme). Even this time JPPH was difficult to find, and this drugstore was one of few places I knew in germany where you could get it.

irisjetaime
irisjetaime

Cadeau de la fête des Pères 1981.
Mon Papa chéri avait adoré, très chic.
Il s'en aspergeait le week end quand nous sortions tous ensembles.
Oooooh.... Que de souvenirs avec ce parfum superbe.
Dommage qu'il n'existe plus sinon mon Gilles chéri en serait l'heureux destinataire...;o)

usas
usas

So glad I got my hands on a bottle. It wasn't quite a bargain, but I don't care.

Patou pour homme is (one of?) the richest fragrance(s) I have ever smelled.
When popping off the cap the topnotes can already be smelled (even when it's a few days ago I last applied it), seem to be alive and want to get out of the bottle .
Literally every second of the drydown process is likeable. I smell: warmth, comfort, gemütlichkeit, complexity, quality.

Housebliss
Housebliss

I find this to be a very warming, utterly gorgeous scent. This is the epitome of a man. I'm not supposed to like this because I don't care for leather nor civet in perfumes, but somehow I absolutely love it in this one.

It lasts a very long time on my skin. It won't disappear until you shower (and even after that it still lingers on your skin). The smell it leaves on your clothes/collar is just so...satisfying.

Sillage is great as well it seems, and I'd never use more than two sprays as it's pretty potent.

On my skin it actually does get very woody and slightly soapy, and that's just the way I like it. I'd wear this any time of the year.

Luckily, I now have enough to last me a very long time (EDT).

I haven't tried the new release, but I can't imagine it smelling like this. If it does, I feel happy for the people who haven't smelled this before, but now have the opportunity to do so.

lollotyp
lollotyp

Now the brand Patou has been sold. I say unfortunately sold, because P & G had spent a lot of work to maintain perfect Joy, 1000 and Sublime. Now the brand is in the hands of a group that buys famous names in the business. And it shows. In fact, only for business reproduced Patou Pour Homme, but it is a ridiculous thing, because they can not use the ingredients 30 years ago, which is prohibited. They do not want to invest a lot of money because they do not have much money, so what do they do? They sell the illusion. that Patou Pour Homme is back in production ... But Patou Pour Homme is over, and with P & G Joy has ended its life cycle too. So Patou is dead. Go for the lovely old vintage one.

Rerik
Rerik

I've been looking for Patou Pour Homme a long time. And one nondescript day, I have found a little rest.
For me it is a typical scent of the 80s. I would not call it the best fragrance for men.
I compared it with three other scents:
Rochas Macassar
Dior Jules
Aramis Tuscany per Uomo (Vintage)

Please Note that Tuscany need about 4 hours to open its basenotes.
So I've compared them after 4 hours.
Smelling them, I would say that Tuscany and Patou have something similar. While Patou has a leathery fruity smell, Tuscany shows me a leathery salty smelling. Jules has the strongest smelling of all, it's a leathery scent with some kind of nuts in it. Patou has a soft smelling, it's the softest of the 4.
Tuscany has a very pleasant smelling.
While Patou is simply unaffordable I would say that Tuscany in its basenotes is the cheapest and best alternative.

Edit: I have smelled Patou Pour Homme for a longer period now. All I can say is that the best alternative to Patou Pour Homme is Dior Jules. Dior Jules is even darker, because of the nutty leathery animalic note. Patou has a flowery leathery animalic note. I would go for Jules.
By the way, Tuscany is the lightest and most wearable of all.
So if you are looking for an alternative to Patou Pour Homme, go for Dior Jules. If you are looking for a similar smell, but in a light and easy to wear version, go for Tuscany Per Uomo.

pvlambertus1
pvlambertus1

Best ever, so sad it was discontinued. A few gems of that era are still around such as Lagerfeld and Cerutti, however none as perfect as JP.

BRING IT BACK NOW!!!

williamvargas

absolutely one of my favorite frangrances to wear. I have horded a few mini's that I found here and there...all 10 mil splash bottles which I put into a nice atomizer, this is one of those scents that every time I use it I worry as to running out. now that is a shame to waste this. Patou pour homme is a fragrance that everyone should smell. I love many of the classics like paco rabanne, azzaro, derby and some others that come to mind so many that have made an impact of me in my youth as well as now, but I gotta tell you this one gives me a cologne woody like no other. just beautiful juice. simply outstanding.
right up there with the original paco robanne for the way that one turned my head when I first smelled it the way that one stunned me all those years ago I appreciated that one so much because it was different at that time then anything I had encountered at 19 years of age , this one did the same thing to me when I first smelled it only 2 plus years ago. some fragrances can make you emotional about just how much they touch you..this is one of those.
this is my opinion..but if I could only wear one it this would have to be considered. excellent fragrance. this would announce your presence.
a statement fragrance.. funny thing about this fragrance is when I do choose to wear it I get just as many compliments from the men I work with as the ladies. I actually had a man about my age ask me not too long ago when I was out and about, he asked , excuse me can I ask you? what is that fragrance you are wearing? makes me proud to wear this marvelous scent. maybe not for everyone and I am glad.. it is not so well known these days. hopefully I can still find some when I get thru mine. i cannot think of a better scent that defines men or masculine from my perspective. if you appreciate something like derby check this out if you can.

pdschrader
pdschrader

During the 1980s I wore Dunhill Blend 30, which like Patou pour Homme has unfortunately been discontinued. The Dunhill fragrance doesn't seem to be reviewed anywhere on fragrantica, but elsewhere I have seen it often described as a green version of Patou. Having never tried Patou, I have always been curious about it, as Dunhill Blend 30 is my all-time favorite. Since a number of reviewers suggested a similarity between the two I was determined to track down and try the Patou and recently had the opportunity to acquire it. I can see a definite resemblance between the two. Both are classic 80s fougeres of extraordinary quality with similar base notes, but it is obvious to me that the Patou is a bit softer, more refined and elegant. Makes me wish I had been acquainted with it back when it was readily available. It truly lives up to its reputation. I can't say I like it more than the Dunhill, but certainly like it as much. That says a lot. I do like the opening and how the middle notes play out during the first few hours on the Patou better than I do with the Dunhill, but appreciate the last few hours of the dry down on the Dunhill more. But even here it is a close call. Let's just say I have tried two masterpieces which probably won't be repeated due to current regulations and restrictions on ingredients, as well as availability issues related to the natural ingredients used in both. It has been a delight to wear them!

dolcethadon
dolcethadon

To everyone interested in this fragrance.. I have contacted the company that is reissuing Patou Pour Homme, and I got this response - Thank you for your interest in Patou pour Homme, our cologne will be available in limited distribution early in 2014 in key retailers and their on-line sites. - I am excited but upset that I have to wait this long to smell it.. I have never tried this fragrance and I am dying to try the new version when It comes out.. Someone send me a sample! ;)

Mama-lola
Mama-lola

This new edition is a real soup!
nothing to see with the original and 180€ for 100ml that is too much!

The new Patou in September is "Joy Forever"
Smells modern and quite good :)

nezrik

Haha, yeah... but no, I'm serious. Contact them yourself if you don't believe me. They even confirmed by email: "En attendant d’autres grands événements, lancements et surtout rééditions des parfums mythiques comme Chaldee ,Eau de Patou, Patou pour Homme qui constituent l’histoire de Jean Patou, nous vous invitons à venir nous rencontrer ou bien nous téléphoner afin que nous puissions répondre à toute demande personnalisée."

nezrik

I have a good piece of news for you guys... I've contacted Jean Patou through their website and got a call from the Paris store manager who told me that they were reissuing Patou pour Homme this year, expected by the end of May. I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet but now I can't wait to get that bottle!

Beaufort
Beaufort

WHY HAVEN'T THEY GOT THE MESSAGE ??????
SO MANY PEOPLE ALL OVER THE WORLD WANT THIS MASTERPIECE BROUGHT BACK.
BRING
THIS
BACK
PLEASE!!

THE GREATEST MALE FRAGRANCE EVER CREATED.

amg7240
amg7240

This is a good version of an 80s powerhouse, but toned down and a little smoother, but it is still an 80s type of fragrance. Also, it has some of that synthetic smell that you don't see in most high priced niche scents. Great buy at $60 a bottle, but I'm not sure it's worth $300 a bottle.

Sighclone
Sighclone

The day they stopped making Patou Pour Homme, the fragrance industry died just a little.

I have approximately one ounce left from my last four ounce bottle. The notes are perfectly intact, just as beautiful as when the bottle was purchased (mid 1994). I'm not certain if a spray was ever offered - all my bottles have been splash, but as anyone who has owned this will attest, the cap on the splash was very cool to twist on and off - it snapped back into place almost magically.

Can you believe I am discussing the cap, when this is perhaps the best male fragrance ever?

In addition to the listed notes, my nose would focus on something else: the smell of fresh cut wood. Sure I got the exotic spices, but what was most salient to me was the heady wood oil that had to be there, if unlisted. On a frag this complex, everyone's nose darts in different directions, mine picked up lots of wood.

Though I have the aforementioned 30 ml left, I have not worn this in over two years. I can't bring myself to "waste" it. I mostly just use it as aroma therapy, sniffing the cap, and occasionally splashing a microscopic amount on the back of my hand. I have about an ounce left of the aftershave as well, and that I do use occasionally.

Until they resurrect this beloved fragrance without reformulating it (not bloody likely) I'll continue as I have been, never to wear a full dose of the EDT again.

williamvargas

finally got around to getting a small sample of this juice.. and it is marvelous, i was afraid of this..dammit, but just looking around for curiosity sake,it is like people are holding this fragrance hostage.. i cannot spend this but wish that i could..it is truly an amazing fragrance, just beautiful in everyway...it is truly a work of art. grottola is right get yourself a decant from the perfumed court while you can, just to say you have sniffed it. glad i did, now i know. just wonderful stuff.

Lana Lool
Lana Lool

I have been wearing this for a couple of days and decanting a full bottle of this, so I have been smelling this almost non stop for a while now. I believe Grottola's notes below are far more accurate than the ones listed by Fragrantica. I def smell hot pepper and bergamot in the opening. Almost like a hot chinese pepper cooking in oil...that kind of pungent pepper aroma. This is nice and spicy and herbaceous, and to my nose, has much in common with the vintage Hermes Equipage. There is definitely castoreum in the base, but it is a very tame castoreum and so well blended as to almost mask its animalic self. There is not as much leather as I would have liked (imagine that), and I can definitely say this is not a monster powerhouse "punch you in the face" kind of fragrance. The longevity is superb, but sillage is moderate and very civil. You could get away with wearing this to work, though it would be put to better use when you knew close quarter sensuality was on the menu. This is first date material, nothing overtly dirty or sinful (the proverbial first date, not the one you dreamed about). You could definitely get away with this at the cotillion. Just keep those thoughts well hidden from the chaperone, and all will be well in Pleasantville.

williamvargas

one of those fragrances i have read about...would love to try it...but, what if i love it? then what?
i'm screwed...maybe someday i will get up the courage to try and find a sample...heaven help me if i do..

Grottola

Technically, Patou Pour Homme is an oriental chypre.

Notes:

Hot Pepper, Lavender, Tarragon, Black Pepper, Bergamot, Galbanum

Bourbon Vetiver, Cedar, Patchouli, Clary Sage

Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Mysore, Cistus Labdanum

Sexy.

adam.sr1
adam.sr1

I am almost out of this wonderful fragrance.

I decided to do a wrist sampling first, with just one tiny dab. I'll do a full wearing at some point, when I feel I'm really up for this kind of fragrance, and update this review at that point. At first, I recognized a note or accord also found in Versailles Pour Homme and Monogram, but it was handled differently in PPH. The blend is more subtle and balanced. I'd say if you took away the anisic/minty quality of Missoni Uomo and combined that with VPH, minus the castoreum note and with less spice, you would get something similar to PPH. An hour or so later, the dominant note/accords of the opening have given way, and what it then seems like is the aforementioned combination at no more than 50% and the original Bijan for Men (not the Five Star version) at 50% or more. It's not as musky or woody as Bijan and it's a bit lighter (though at least as rich). It's also at least a bit smoother, but the original Bijan aspect seems to be the major component of the drydown.

I'm surprised by the praise for PPH at BN, considering how many similar ones there are. I'm wondering if it's because it's a Patou, or if it got some marketing "push" that other, similar ones did not. It's certainly an excellent fragrance, but it doesn't seem one that would be that compelling to the "hardcore" 'BNers, who are into either niche (which don't tend to be as smooth and balanced) or vintage designer frags with more "bite" (an example being vintage Antaeus). I think this may be due to the opening, which is more "exciting." When I realized what the drydown was like, I thought to myself that this is the kind of fragrance that I often recommend on threads at BN, while others suggest less balanced and subtle ones. Overall, this is solid but not at all special to me; I'd rather wear vintage Lapidus Pour Homme or a whole bunch of others, everything else being equal. Note that if there is civet here, it's very mild.

UPDATE: I wore it today, after not having done so for perhaps a year, and I just don't understand why people are paying the high prices for it. Don't get me wrong, this is a very nice scent, and entirely natural smelling. However, there is absolutely nothing special about it. In fact, I wore Chanel Pour Monsieur (1959) the other day and I think I like that one better (when I'm in the mood for this sort of thing). True, PPH is more aromatic, but after an hour or so that's not nearly as strong, and I prefer the woody/citrus of CPM. PPH also weakens considerably after a couple of hours. People who say PPH is "rich" puzzle me. Have they ever tried a scent like Versaille Pour Homme? Or is PPH the only high-quality vintage scent they've ever sampled?

UPDATE #2: The Estonian site has the following notes for this scent:

Basil, Clary Sage, Lavender, Petitgrain Oil.

Middle Notes:
Geranium, Jasmine, Vetiver, Patchouli, Clary Sage, Carnation, Pine Needles, Cinnamon, Sandalwood.

Base Notes:
Tonka Bean, Vanilla, Amber, Moss, Castoreum, Leather.

sangfroid
sangfroid

I have a 4 ounce bottle of PATOU POUR HOMME EAU DE TOILETTE vintage 1980s unused and in mint condition in origiinal box also mint. Asking price $800.00 or best offer.

Can send pics on request. Provide your email address with reply. Thanks.

Patou Pour Homme.

I honestly hesitated writing a review of this for a long time because I needed to get to know it. I needed to be able to decipher Patou Pour Homme and eliminate, if necessary, any comparisons. I had to find the right time to wear it, places to spray it, and all sorts of other things.

Well, now I'm going to review it from my own perspective - not from the hype or praise of some of our other excellent reviewers.

For me, Patou Pour Homme is an extremely rich and decadent oriental fragrance for men. It opens up on my skin with noticeable lavender and tobacco (yes, I smell tobacco) notes complimented by spices, pepper, and a cooling petitgrain note. The oily tobacco note reminds me of Havana by Aramis, sort of. There's also a dark leather note thrown in the mix. Overall, the feel is sort of like a big, oily, masculine Mitsouko (crossed with a resinous leather chypre like *vintage* Hermes Bel Ami). There are no unpleasant or "pissy" notes to turn people away - just raw, strong masculinity at its finest.

After an hour or two the top notes settle down and Patou Pour Homme gets drier and a little spicier. The patchouli and clary sage rear their heads and echo the top. It's a smooth transition. At this point I'm somewhat reminded of Bel Ami again.

Then, soon enough, the base kicks in - the smoothest part. Oakmoss, sandalwood, and a BIG labdanum note set off the grand finale. Overall, the transition from middle to base and the lasting base takes a while, and it is SO enjoyable. The usage of chypre and fougère elements are part of what makes Patou Pour Homme just so damn good.

Now, that being said, is Patou Pour Homme the best men's fragrance ever? In my opinion, no. BUT, it is my favorite fragrance. Absolutely. It's my favorite masculine fragrance ever, and of course it's discontinued.

As a final note, I don't find Patou pour Homme to be worth the astronomical prices on eBay, Basenotes, Crystal Flacon, etc. But every guy should at least try it. Get yourself a decant from The Perfumed Court - it should last you a good while.

elegantpasha
elegantpasha

I love this one, its so sad that it is very hard to find these days

wprofumo
wprofumo

Maybe if I apply myself I can find a bottle of this. The last bottle I was able to find for my husband dates from around 1995. There is only about 5cm left in the bottom which he does not dare to use because once that is gone, it will be gone forever, I fear. Patou Pour Homme is the best men's perfume ever created; it is perfect in every way.

nyoka
nyoka

I found my hubby a vintage bottle almost full.Granted,it was a tester,but IT IS WONDERFUL!!!!!IT smells so beautiful,I want to super glue myself to him.It is the epitomy of body chemistry working.

desmondorama
desmondorama

One of the best perfumes I have ever owned from a bygone era - pure masculine luxury!

knightz
knightz

It's a shame Patou pour Homme was discontinued, it got nothing but positive reviews everywhere. Looking at the notes, I think I would have liked it as well.

These days it goes for premium $$$ on eBay, if/when you can find it.

Patou pour Homme by Jean Patou 4.81 out of 5 based on 104 ratings and 29 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Jean Patou Patou pour Homme fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Jean Patou Patou pour Homme, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Patou pour Homme by Jean Patou. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Patou pour Homme by Jean Patou represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.