Designers » I-K » Oriental Woody « Groups

Sira des Indes Jean Patou for women
dislike

yellow floral
Sira des Indes Jean Patou for women Pictures

Sira des Indes by Jean Patou is a Oriental Woody fragrance for women. Sira des Indes was launched in 2006. The nose behind this fragrance is Jean-Michel Duriez. Top notes are banana, pear, bergamot, cardamom and pink pepper; middle notes are champaca, orange blossom, plum and milk; base notes are sandalwood, amber, musk and vanilla.

Banana Pear Bergamot Cardamom Pink Pepper

Champaca Orange Blossom Plum Milk

Sandalwood Amber Musk Vanilla

Amaranthine

Sira des Indes Fragrance Reviews

HanamiTsukimi
HanamiTsukimi

I get a lot of pink pepper and cardamom in the beginning. No pear or even banana, but a spicy, warm trip to some exotic local. Then a beautiful dose of sandalwood and... champaca? I wouldn't know. Some of these notes are so unique. In fact, I wonder if I wouldn't recognize the banana in this if I slipped on its peel.

Regardless, Sira des Indes is creamy and cozy and soft as a fleece blanket in fall. During the drydown it becomes just a tad animalic, but nothing risque. It sweetens over time as the amber and vanilla make their way to the front. An incredibly well-balanced concoction, and usually available at a great price. I'm tempted.

ElectricEden
ElectricEden

Very soft, subtle, warm fragrance. I can detect a little bit of spice (cinnamon, maybe?) but nothing over-powering. A cozy skin scent for me.

temporalgrace
temporalgrace

This is lovely--a marriage of Bronze Goddess and Matin d'Orage. It opens with a cheerful burst of green bananas and then deepens into a wet floral burst of champaca. There's a hint of milk, and the sandalwood is creamy. It's a beautiful scent; retro but not dated. I don't know if I need a full bottle right now, but it is definitely unique!

gishgamesh
gishgamesh

So this is apparently a banana scent, but what I get is essentially a scent similar to violet and violet leaves. It reminds me of Balenciaga EDP / Ellen Tracy Bronze initially in the top notes. It's a little green and a little sweet, but as the mid notes appear I detect a faint indolic jasmine-like / musty undernote, and it deviates away from the "violet" into its own path. On account of the indolic jasmine like quality, I think it shares a tiny amount of DNA with its ancestor Joy, so be aware!

Soft sillage and longevity.

flowers-in-the-springtime
flowers-in-the-springtime

Please don't hate me for this review, but I have to tell it how it is for honesty's sake and for other reviewers reading this.
As soon as I squirted this perfume on my skin I swear I could smell cow dung! My hubby recoiled from me in horror!
Never before has a perfume reacted so dreadfully with my body chemistry. I was distraught because I loved the sound of the notes and I was so excited to try it.
I think it's the cardamom which simply hates me.
This one was a scrubber for me, shame.

Yohji
Yohji

So far its most intriguing (by notes) and delightful (for senses) oriental gourmand I had chance to smell, thanks to diamondsr4ever and my first “tested” Jean Patou house fragrance

I read all reviews below, I actually read them a lot of times! in order to get full realisation of how to compare notes, what I have got and other people's “perspective” - nostrils-skin result

I Am giving up! I can not connect these three matters together) So will just share my joy and how it is on me.

Exotic, creamy-like, fresh bananas and pears in milky hand-made jelly served by beautiful Indian woman with yellow Champaca flower behind her ear. When she moves around helping with tea and dessert I smell soft-spicy-rich aroma from that Champaca bud. Whole picture is sensual and smooth, flowing movements and soft smile.
4.8 out of 5

Thomasania
Thomasania

This is simply a powdery perfume on my skin. I have the P&G version so that might account for the lack of any spice or banana notes that other reviewers have mentioned. I was not able to detect anything other than the powdery notes. This was a blind buy for me, and while I'm not overly impressed with it I am sure I will use it. I think because of it's subtly it will be great for layering. It was fairly cheap, so I don't have a lot invested in it and honestly I love the bottle.
Sadly I think the reformulation stole the former beauty from this one and perhaps one day I will get to smell the original. Until then, I will enjoy this version.
I have already layered it with a strong spicy perfume oil from Darling Clandestine and I do think the two will wear well together. As for now, no regrets on this one.

Red Theodora
Red Theodora

When I read this fragrance had a banana note in it I thought "I must try this". I love it. The fruitiness, the ambry warmth and the spices. When I wear it I feel I've taken a trip to India, even if it is in my own mind.

verdigris
verdigris

What a delightful surprise! I bought this one blind based on reviews and after several trials with very light sprays I must say it does not disappoint. Sillage is minimal in the manner that I sprayed (into the air and a walk through) but longevity exceeded my expectations - a good six hours of soft, delightful wafts. Of course, if greater sillage is desired one could apply more but part of the beauty of this scent is that it is close to the skin, complex and suggestive of the tropics without whacking everyone within a 5 foot radius in the head with a fruit salad.

I sense the connection to Samsara and Tuscany per Donna but SDI is much lighter, better blended and more discreet than either of these. It is clearly related to Joy but with more fruity notes and less rose, and never does it come across too sweet, too fruity or too indolic. I detect no banana or pear but perhaps a bit of jasmine and coconut. Woody oriental? Not so much for me as the sandalwood is shy on my skin. A fruity oriental is more like what I experience but no matter, this is a much overlooked Patou and for the price on most websites totally worth a try. Recommended!

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

There are far less animalic notes in this than in Penhaligon's Amaranthine, just in case you found that too skanky

The sweaty/decay indole note is quite subdued here, there's even a little more in Goutal's Songes than there is in this.

I really enjoyed the opening which is abundantly lush with piles of creamy florals and what smells to me a bit like banana flavoured angel delight pudding! Really likeable, but into dry-down it becomes mostly very sweet - sun-tan lotion and creamy pudding-esque, I don't get much cardamom - a pity because I'd like a greener feel, it is there though, reminding me a little of Indian Kulfi ice-cream

I'm still searching for the ultimate summer floral, if Songes had a bit less B.O./indolic notes and a touch of Sira des Indes' banana angel delight, and more cardamom I'd be ecstatic! Maybe I'll buy both and layer them. If I was rich I'd hire my own 'nose'! My favourite is probably still Lys Soleia

This is really pleasant though, very easy to wear. I like it a lot

rhaineclayton
rhaineclayton

Ok, I've been on a bit of a fragrance bender of late and this was one of my blind buys. Successful blind buy, I should say. There's something quite traditional /old fashioned about this fragrance - but not granny-ish. I do get a hint of banana in the beginning, then something that smells a bit like the old Oil of Ulan lotion. I say that because this fragrance takes me right back to when I was a child and I used to use my Mums Oil of Ulan lotion when she wasn't looking, she used to keep her bottle of Arpege in the same drawer and there's a slight hint of a softer Arpege in this to me as well. Then eventually it settles to that sweet milkiness reminiscent of something like Tuscany Per Donna. I certainly don't regret buying this!

Obanonatto
Obanonatto

If you know the smell of the real flower champaca, well, here you will find it perfectly framed. Adorable Patou, SDI is great. 9/10

Yamba1
Yamba1

Strange opening. No one can really prepare you for banana. However it's not the banana that I have on my kitchen bench top. Rather, it's more like the banana essence that you add to milk or ice creams. Just when you get your head around it, the banana fades and what remains is something sensual and creamy. The milk and vanilla really come through, but before you start to think this is too gourmand, the spices and amber give this a feminine touch that can be used for day and night summer wearing.
In a world of predictability, this is a pleasant surprise.

Lulutupelo
Lulutupelo

This juice is really lovely, but it just doesn't have enough sillage for my taste. I like this better than Joy. The bottle is beautiful, the color is beautiful, and it is worth the $25 average price from your mega online perfume stores. This lasts about 5 hours as a skin scent, and because the sillage isn't good, I spray it on my clothes and linens.

The initial blast is almost pure alcohol, but after ten minutes it becomes smoother; after thirty it had become very smooth and rich. I have the P & G version which may account for the alcohol blast.

I wouldn't actually recommend it, however, because of the sillage issue. This is very well balanced, and I couldn't pinpoint any actual notes. I do like spraying it on my pillows, though.

freddinos
freddinos

This is a very interesting perfume with a 90s vibe, if you like fragrances with sandalwoody sweetness like Tuscany per Donna and Samsara you will probably enjoy Sira des Indes too! I do not detect the banana others are mentioning (I must be anosmic to it because I do not detect it either in Sicily) but I get lots and lots of spicy pear, mixed with sandalwood. The champaca flower must be the note adding a watery-flowery type of vibe (kinda like lotus flower).Also reading the reviews made me search for the cinnamon note, yes it's there, but not too literal or gourmand. I can only recognise a faint trail of cinnamon in the context of Dolce Vita, Cavalli Oro etc. In conclusion, Sira des Indes is a lovely '90s smelling' fragrance, to my nose at least. Nothing to write home about but very nice indeed. I also have to say that it is very similar to Penhaligon's Amaranthine, and can be found for much better prices online too!

jpcresson
jpcresson

Very romantic! I love it for Mother's Day!!!!! perfect!xxJean-Pierre Cresson

I received this in a swap with the very kind & generous belle de sud.
It is quite lovely.
I mainly get heady, indolic champaca, green banana & pear. Normally I dislike pear, but this is a tart-sweet crisp smelling pear.
Upon dry down it gets a bit milkier and the sandalwood comes to the forefront. Sensual, musky. Not too sweet. I'd recommend for those 25 + and lovers of "old school" spicy/exotics because the champaca is quite heady and will not be to everyone's liking.
The indole fades about 30 minutes in, but it's very strong at the start.

nikitajade
nikitajade

I'm glad I gave this a run. It's been sitting on the shelf forever, a long forgotten gift. When I first sprayed it, I must say it was unpleasant. I do get some strange, very sharp and bitter note... But after about a 15 minute dry down, a lovely spicy, creamy banana comes out...like a banana split with a cinnamon ice cream. I know cinnamon is not listed in the notes but I definitely get some clear cut cinnamon coming through.

paiged98@gmail.com
paiged98@gmail.com

So unique. I love, love. I get the sweet, but not bananna that so many have written. I am actually at a loss for the very first time on describing a scent. I honestly have never smelled perfume resembling this. I find it highly interesting, pleasant, sweet, woody, with a touch of plastic and coconut (in the best possible way and weird because there is no coconut) have never smelled the champaca flower but everything I have read says its in the magnolia family, yeah, not getting any Magnolia-ish smell. Maybe that flower is the unique perk that makes this a mystery.

miarose
miarose

I think I found a treasure with this one (would have loved to have gotten one before reformulation, though). It has a very good banana. Not candy-fake banana, but a freshly peeled banana with the skin.

I think the note that is really interesting is the champaca. I smell it quite distinctly. I've smelled real champaca flowers before; there is no comparison if you have not smelled it. It's sweet and creamy, almost indolic like jasmine the way it tingles the nose. Some people have mentioned a fecal note, and straight up champaca has an almost overripe, rotting note to it if smelled for too long.

It finally turns a bit more sweet on me, and I can detect a bit of sweet fruit that is probably the plum mixed with vanilla. Not getting much wood, and I wish it had a bit more of that. This is altogether a fascinating scent.

Edit: Forgot to mention that there is an ongoing spiciness that complements the sweetness of the scent throughout. Noticed this more on second wearing.

tourmali45
tourmali45

Fruity accords first, and very noticeable amber scent from the very beginning. Then peppery notes, all composition becomes less sweet and exotic but more spicy. And then some fecal note creeps in and kinda ruins all the fun I was starting to have. It’s not very pronounced, as the scent is still sweet, but this unpleasant smell is very much present. At this point I’m rather glad that I’m sitting at home and sniffing my wrist alone, and not somewhere in a public place with people suspiciously sniffing the air around me. To be fair, this unwanted note was short-lived and soon almost disappeared.
Well, what I experienced I didn’t like very much. Too sweet, too girlie-fruity, then crappy… I think I’ll pass on this one..

Jean Patou's Sira des Indes is a fragrance worth discovering. I'm so glad that I ignored all the negative reviews and gave it a fair chance.

The dominant banana accord is not for everyone. Thankfully I enjoy its sweet, tropical aroma, just as much as I did when wearing another banana inspired favourite of mine, Dolce & Gabbana Sicily. A light application is quite important when it comes to scents of this nature. Even though I enjoy the way Sira des Indes smells on my skin, I know that it could make me feel ill if over-applied.

Sira des Indes is really unique and captivating. It's quite a sweet and exotic type of scent, with a nice balance of fruits and powdery florals. Despite its somewhat tropical and luminous feel, it also strikes me as being rather elegant. In that respect, it's quite versatile.

Banana and mashed pears are the most dominant fruit accords to my nose, followed by an interesting blend of orange blossom, ylang ylang, condensed milk, vanilla, amber and sandalwood. This is one very complex fragrance.

I personally found the sillage to be quite strong, however many refer to Sira des Indes as a light, inoffensive Summer scent. I wonder if skin chemistry has something to do with that? I agree that it would make an excellent Summer fragrance, however I wouldn't shy from wearing it during the cooler months too.

Sira des Indes is the kind of scent that would appeal to either fruity floral or gourmand lovers. It sits between these two fragrance genres for me. Some days, it reminds me of the scent of a frothy banana milkshake. Surprisingly I don't mind smelling like flavoured milk. I highly recommend.

ann.sundwall
ann.sundwall

I don't think Patou and I are soul mates. I have tried both Sublime and Joy with just so so results. I simply don't get the intoxicating sophistication that others enjoy. They are sweet and inoffensive, but nothing I can even remember when they are gone. But I had higher hopes for Sira des Indes. I think the name itself was encouraging. Something exotic surely. And banana! Coming off my D&G Sicily high, I knew I liked banana in a scent.

But I am now three for three. On my skin, Sira des Indes starts with an encouragingly powerful wave of some undetermined fruitiness. Maybe some banana? But it very quickly changes to an odd scent that is vaguely reminiscent of wintergreen (I think this may be where others are smelling urine, but I don't smell anything urine-like). This too passes quickly and I am left with a very soft, very sweet, very inoffensive vanilla skin scent. Very Patou. But not very me.

Added note: For some reason, despite my bad luck with the House of Patou, I am determined to experience what others do with their fragrances. Tonight I applied Sira des Indes very liberally and waited...still no joy (no pun intended). I can detect a similar "flavour" in all the Patou scents I have tried. But on my skin the top notes are vague and fleeting, the dry-down almost imperceptable and the sillage frustratingly skin hugging. Perhaps it is like being colour blind?

Looking up the wikipedia entry on Jean Patou, it seems it was sold first to Proctor and Gamble who out-sourced much of the manufacturing with poorer quality control. The 2011 take-over by Designer Parfumes is thought by some to hold the promise of a return to quality: "Word has it that they have approached Jean Kerléo, Patou's former master-perfumer, to hopefully assist them in restoring Patou's presence in perfumery to its former, pre-Procter & Gamble glory." The mini of Sira des Indes that I am using is from P&G Prestige.

gazelle
gazelle

I just received my bottle of SDI EDP in the mail. I thought I would possibly still be getting ahead of the reformulation. NO! It is labled as a P & G Prestige fragrance. I am disappointed somewhat but am determined to make the best of the situation. You see, I never tested the original SDI, but I do own JOY, ENJOY,and a mini 1000. The heady potency of those other prestigious fragrances is, alas, not present. I've read the previous reviews and am determined that I will wear it with as much grace as I can muster. It will be an adventure and not a disaster, of that I am determined. Bring on the dessert course, I'm ready!

Just when I spray this on my wrist its heavy banana-thick-sweet. But wait 5 minutes and it changes to a wonderful creamy, soft-soft spicy, sexy and womanish scent. Stays close to my skin but yet intensive in a good way. In my opinion this is a go-to-dance-parfum. Next person have to dance close to you, or hug you, to get a wiff of this sophisticated and elegant scent. A keeper!! Longlasting on my skin.

Precis när jag sprejar den på handleden så är den banan-kvalmig-söt. Men vänta 5 minuter och den ändrar sig till en krämig, mjukkryddig, sexig och superkvinnlig doft. Hudnära doft men ändå intensiv på ett bra sätt. En dans-parfym i mitt tycke, nästa person måste vara nära dig eller krama dig för att få en fläkt av denna sofistikerade och eleganta doft. En doft att äga länge! Håller länge på huden.

well in my opinion, this smells nothing like pee or any other nastiness. it's sweet and creamy and lusciously fruity. i find it very nice.. also very feminine. it's heavy sweetness at the start and dries to a beautiful mild fruity/floral. i love the sweetness given from the banana note. lasting about 3 hrs. so far and i would very much buy a full bottle. thumbs up!

Abby1970
Abby1970

I made the mistake of sraying this on my wrist instead of a little card. Oh my Lord, it smelled like vanilla pee. Like I had drank a whole bottle of vanilla extract and then peed myself. The only thing missing was the the warm, wet trousers. I'm not exagerating.

jtd
jtd

I bough this years ago and gave it away. I didn't dislike it; I just couldn't find a place for it. It's a bit of a grab bag in terms of genre. It lands somewhere between neither/nor and all-of-the-above. The bright side is that Sira des Indes doesn’t have to follow the expectations of genre. It's breezy and tropical. It's spiced cream. It's quite sultry, and despite not fitting our genre expectations, it is very specific and isn't likely to be mistaken for anything else. And it's loads of fun to play with. Try its seepingly sweet humidity in arid desert heat. Try it in snowy winter.

I've never worn it in a hot, humid environment, but I imagine it might seem a bit mushy. This is a perfume that plays with tropical elements. In a truly tropical environment, it might read as phony. Still, try it sometime when you know you're going to sweat. The creaminess falls away, and the florals read like shimmering heat.

Champaca is the leading note of this fragrance for sure. It smells georgeous in the opening. Warm and exotic, especially mixed with the noticeable cardamom note and the baie rose note. The bergamot, banana and pear notes on the amber note base with the noticeable vanilla note make this fragrance also sweet and gourmand. And I guess that the plum note sourness saves this fragrance for being too sweet. While milky notes make it more soft, the sandalwood makes it more serious. I almost don't feel the musk note and it's awesome!

This fragrance reminds me L'Instant de Guerlain because of the magnolia (champaca) and the amber notes, and Dolce Vita - because of the magnolia (champaca) and the cardamom notes, but not too much.

I like this fragrance. My hot and exotic champaca pleasure!:)

dlane1953
dlane1953

Floral-fruity scents are way out of my comfort zone, but on a whim I decided to try this fragrance since I love Patou's Sublime and assumed the house could do no wrong. This scent has grown on me, although my initial reaction was unfavorable. The temperature of skin and air makes a big difference in how a scent works, and temp. seems to be everything with this fragrance. The first notes were tropical fruits, I couldn't detect any specific types, just a general fruity opening. Seems too sweet at first sniff, but that does wear down a bit in a short time. The drydown saves this frag from being too juvenile for my taste. The amber, musk, and sandalwood adds the dimension that the fragrance lacked in its opening stages. On warm days, this scent blooms like an exotic flower and then it's very lovable to me. It dries down to a skin scent over time, which makes it very wearable in hot weather. Longevity very good, about 7 hours, sillage average. If you generally dislike fruity scents, application makes a big difference in how it will work for you or against you. I liked it much more when applied lightly; when I sprayed freely, my nose was overwhelmed. I'll certainly keep this in rotation as the weather
warms up.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

Received this as a kind gift in a swap with mariamaria - thank you!
This is simply a wonderful fragrance. The mix of notes seemed so unusual - and slightly intimidating - though I have been looking forward to trying this for a really long time.
When I think of Jean Patou, I think of Joy - a classic floral fragrance. So I didn't know what to expect with this one. But really, I guess I should have known that quality would be produced.
This is simply magical. It's like the smells that an explorer in Africa or India during colonial times would have experienced have been dropped into this bottle. It instantly made me think of the green houses at the Botanic Gardens where I went when I was a child, filled with exotic flowers and towering banana trees that seemed so amazing - like the stories Sarah tells in A Little Princess.
This smells mostly like banana tree (tree, not the fruit itself, the scent is more subtle and leafy) and with soft creamy ylang ylang. I can detect hints of fruits and sandalwood and the tiniest wisp of cardamom also. But this is smooth and exotic.
I'm so happy to have tried this, it's rare that a fragrance can conjur up such imagery.

Teolinda
Teolinda

Sira des indes sounded so nice with banana, pear and red berries. At first spray I got a whiff of the banana and thought to myself "this will be good".
Not more than a minute later the scent totally changed...and not into something better. I got that dreaded urine smell!!! First I thought it was jasmine, but no jasmine is to be found amongst the notes.
The worst part is that the smell didn´t fade or change after this...I just smelled like urine for two hours before I scrubbed it off. I really didn´t expect my skin to react this way. :(

lhollingdrake
lhollingdrake

A urine-ified Casmir. Something just went wrong on me.

Perfumefreak
Perfumefreak

I LOVE THIS!
I don't care what others say.
I have been searching a warm and spicy scent for a long time. Samsara I've already found but it wasn't what I was hoping for. A bit too offensive for my taste. I gave it to my mom. She already kept asking me what I was wearing so... naturally!

Sira des Indes is a subtle version of Samsara.
Creamy and lush. Also suitably strong and spicy on me.
Its sweetness and fruity essence are only a big plus!

I have to say, this is the best spicy/oriental-scent i have ever had.

I.I
I.I

It is very different from what I was expecting.
I was expecting a STRONG and heavy perfume but I'm bearly able to smell it on me!
I mostly smell a very nice and mild banana, pear and musk in a 'fragile' and creamy, VERY CREAMY combination.
It's too subtle even for me and surely not the 'fatal' perfume I was expecting it to be.
Sira is far away from what one would call a 'stinker'.
Longevity is also not great and one has to apply generously to 'feel' one wears a perfume.

ADD
I wore it today, it's lovely.
The first blast may smell a little bit strange, like overripe bananas (someone else said that). Then, after a quarter more or less, this strange note vanishes and the scent becomes very creamy.
Nice, inoffensive and very soft.
Suitable for any age and any occasion, though it's mostly an elegant, feminine, everyday perfume.
SECOND ADD
It's very odd but Sira changes from time to time on me. Today for example I don't smell anything rotten or overripe. Today, I can't stop sniffing the air around me, got a compliment from my daughter too!
I guess it's a matter of skin type and of certain days in our hormonic cycle maybe? hmm...who knows.

SheShe
SheShe

My first impression: Sira des Indes is similar to Chopard's Casmir! And it really is, especially in the opening. I like Casmir but its opening isn't the prettiest. I'm sorry but it reminds me of a sweet poo. And so it is with Sira des Indes, they're very very similar with the note. But Casmir brings India and its castles to my mind. Sira des... and its opening creates an image of dirty crowdy streets in India. I was hoping for the famous banana ;), I can hardly detect it.
The unfamous poo note decreases after more than an hour in Sira... (it decreases in Casmir too) and then something nicer shows up: kind of shy flower garden, a bit unkempt and wild... and fruit, finally nicer.
All in all, I don't think it's a scent I'd love to wear. I prefer Casmir and Casmir wasn't an easy sympathy for me either... I like it and appreciate it but it didn't happen at once.
Sira isn't gourmand in my perception and it's kind of weird.
Heavy burst in the opening and a delicate scent afterwards...

polka
polka

Holy cow!

I've never been to India, but I imagine a holy cow could smell like this perfume. The cow from Sira de Indes story is adorned with white flowers. It has just trampled a stack of stale oriental spices and is now lazily waddling along an indian street in the drowsy midday heat.

To me Sira de Indes smells milky and sweet in an unusual, queasy way. I find it simply unbearable.

Galya
Galya

I like so much this perfume! Very comforting,longlasting,intimate and creamy ! So yummi,mmm.
i feel a lot of tender and so sweet banana with cinnamon(maybe i feel this way cardamon ?)

allegro_barbaro
allegro_barbaro

I wanted to love this so badly. The notes sounds amazing and India evokes fantastic perfume pictures to my imagination.

On spritzing it smells fruity sweet and boring. I only made out the barest hint of bananas. After a few minutes the white flowers came to the fore. I love ylang ylang and jasmine and I could definitely detect them here, but only for about half an hour until the boring fruity sweetness came back.

I won't miss this one when I am gone but in the meantime I will wear it as background noise to the office.

If you love Sira des Indes I think you Will adore Gai Mattiolo original as well!!

TankGirl
TankGirl

A candy banana mixed with ylang ylang and some chewing gum sweetness. This is not a oriental woody but a gourmand in my opinion. The drydown is powdery and soft. A little bit sickening in the beginning but then it calms down to a lovely sunday fragrance. I thought by wearing this I was going to travel to an Indian market place but I landed in suburbian funfair, not amazing but fun if you are in a playfull and ironic mood.

Louw
Louw

I bought this blind because it sounded lovely and the price was very cheap. It was okay...but that's about as enthusiastic as I can get about it, unfortunately. It starts of very fruity with a hint of cardamom, but on my skin it quickly softens to become indistinctly sweet and powdery without any other elements to add interest or variety. Perfectly nice but nothing to distinguish or delight.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

A blind buy based on a very good price...too bad it did not turn out to be a good buy.
I found the fragrance overall too sweet and definitely too fruity for me. In addition, on my skin there was no real development; it stayed as a flat, fruity fragrance, no spice, no sandalwood, no interesting drydown. A good feature, had I liked the fragrance, was it's longevity; 8 hours and still going strong. Oh, well...

olga1780

Sophi, i have the new formula more than likely..I totally adore this perfume.

Inspire0111
Inspire0111

Very pleasant fruity scent. Banana comes through in the top notes mixed with oreintal spices. The scent becomes powdery as it dries down. Can't say that it is very distinctive or special but it is quite nice.

Update: I've been wearing this for a while now and God knows why it I can smell a hint of cheese in the mix, which kind of puts me off.

*sophi*
*sophi*

Olga which version are you referring because the reformulation is softer , not cloying and harsh as was the original!
I happen to have tried both and i like the one you are referring most!Is the rare case of reformulation be nicer from original...lol

olga1780

I am really baffled about the previous reviews, because according to them you would expect something loud and obnoxiously cheap a'la "Calgon take me away". Personally,I can't find anything messy, overly sweet or cloying about this fragrance. On me it is very soft and elegant. Banana notes are quite distinctive, but very subtle and in no way make it smell cheap or synthetic. I think it would work great for any weather. I really like Enjoy and Sublime, and Sira Des Indes is just as nice to my taste.
People, try not to sniff rotten bananas(wherever you find them) to try to compare them to this perfume. I am sure it was not meant to smell of anything rotten, not Patou.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

This is the first blind buy I've made in a while as the price was SO reasonable and it's my first foray into Patou land after sampling (and hating) the great Joy.
I really cannot see anything offensive about this perfume (unless I had payed the original price, maybe!!). It opens almost masculine with woody animalic notes that remind me of 70's sweet, woody male fragrances. Can I say it's almost naff? The banana note is interesting and saves it from being banal - but it's the dry banana like in the peel, not a luscious fruit - this is not a bad thing! I find this eminently wearable and very jolly, in fact though the sillage is weak, I'm getting lovely tropical floral wafts from my cleavage which tell me all I need is a hammock and a cocktail and I'm nearly there....!!

helidon
helidon

This perfume was an utter disappoinment for me. It smelt disgusting on my skin, just a combination of artificial apricot and sandalwood. After a couple of hours it smelt like a cheap cologne from a nearby supermarket. I ended up giving it away.

nada
nada

first note is horrible and the rest is bananas - which I like but for eating not wearing on me:)As this is first of Patou for me, I may end it there...
do not see why it is classed as woody - has no wood. Banana botanically is a grass:)

MirabelleJee
MirabelleJee

This one is interesting for me, fruity-spicy, spices are dominating.
This one is a little similar to Pour L'Amour de L'Inde by Isabel Derroisne

skitten
skitten

Yes, well, was expecting something wonderful here, but alas, not to be so. Initial spray , was excited, mmmm....ok.. then what happened to it, the scent just changed to something that is not overly appealing for my nose. I wish I could love it or maybe like it enough to wear. I have to get Enjoy, I hear that is pretty good.........x

Jean Patou is seeming more and more like Rochas every day: the twists and turns and trials and tribulations of these houses have produced some, let us say, dubious perfumes in recent years, SIRA DES INDES being a case in point.

I have no problem with the opening of SIRA DES INDES: resinous and woody banana. The problem is that nothing else ever really happens. This is a flat frag devoid of depth and development--beyond dwindling. Hard to believe that the makers of SUBLIME and JOY could have launched this blunt instrument, but apparently they did.

SIRA DES INDES is okay, but not worthy of further mention, much less a full bottle. For my banana fix, I'll stick with D&G SICILY, which offers a genuine development trajectory and considerably more interest than this lightly spiced mashed banana concoction. Désolée.

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

Oh dear, this is one of the messiest openings I have come across in a perfume yet. First impression was sticky, sticky red cordial. Second impression, raspberry jello crystals. This second impression seems to stick in ones nose, lasting for several hours and making it difficult to really take this perfume seriously.

I do smell something akin to banana, but my nose tends to register banana in perfume as strong liquorice if I try to 'chase' the note for further inspection, no doubt the result of some peculiarity in my neural pathways.

On top of the liquorice/banana and jello, the ylang comes strutting up, adding an indolic note whose incompatability with the foody impressions is like discovering a great dirty hair in your half-eaten ice-cream sundae. It just isn't wholesome.

After a time, creamy amber and sandalwood come to the fore and rescues Sira from itself, creating an altogether different woody scent which is very pleasing to the nose. The trouble I have is the journey getting here.

I think the opening is what is going to decide the lovers of this fragrance from the haters. I doubt there can be much ambivalence here.

Cereza
Cereza

I agree with GrannyBear. Sira des Indes starts as spicy oriental, with the sweetness and bitterness of the cardammon, but after a while there's nothing. Just weird, not original drydown with a little bif of banana. I don't know, maybe it's just my chemistry. I'm not saying that I don't like it, I just waited more from this.

Malegria
Malegria

Finally had a chance to test it, and loved it.I got a whiff of bananas, to my delight, but other then that it`s a very pleasant spicy floral..The cardamom is sweet and reminded me of Indian sweets - soft round confections, all about cardamom...I expected it to be quite heavy, but it`s sitting close to the skin and the staying power is so-so. Still, it`s a very pleasant surprise for me!!!!

guest_dannygirl
guest_dannygirl

I would love this perfume for its top notes--very Patou there, with an exotic tropical twist--but on me, this perfume dries down to a green grass, green (dare I say, manure?) smelling base I loathe. I have no idea what that is. It doesn't really smell like bananas to me.

I ended up giving this perfume away, sadly.

GrannyBear
GrannyBear

I am very disappointed in this perfume - it starts with the suggestion that it is going to be a wonderful, complex oriental scent, then after about five minutes it seems to have disappeared completely. It leaves only the very faintest trace on the skin, and nothing at all on clothes. Such a shame, could have been marvellous if only it stayed and developed rather than just fading away.

kristina_vili
kristina_vili

I find similarities between this and Dolce vita too,but this one is tooooo hard for me

misssy9
misssy9

very,veeeery similar with Ilaya by Isabel derroisine .And also to Dolce Vita,but sweetened up version of Dolce Vita

KalteStern
KalteStern

A sweetened-up 'Aramis for women' to my mind - good for those who do not want to smell floral, and who like the classic spicy men's fragrances, if your partner chooses this kind of fragrance for himself, rather than having it chosen for him
It could be used for office wear, despite the sweetness of the amber notes, as the woody and spicy notes counterbalance them, but it is not a romantic fragrance

Lady Venomtongue
Lady Venomtongue

a hackneyed murky sickeningly thickly sweet one !!!
still not fully convinced its a Patou ! nightmare in a bottle ,,,,,, Staleness & Horridness.

e9rul7
e9rul7

this is a wonderful scent!! complex type of perfume!!! i would recommend it to anyone!!

guest_A. Rose
guest_A. Rose

I hve this in both the parfum and EDP form. It's transporting; sweet but not sugary--sweet in the way farina or wheat germ is--with mashed, only slightly ripe bananas over fresh, cold cream. Something smooth, solar and dry emerges. Something green and palm-like breezes through and lingers until drydown. Then the spices arrive. Tart, yet creamy with a peppery, petroleum-oil hint of cardamon, like the smell of actual cardamon ground with a mortar and pestle. The spices deepen into a smooth wood with a dash of dried vanilla bean. This is in no way your typical cupcake vanilla, but that of the earthy, raw variety, similar to the smell of actual, dried vanilla beans. There is a hot, languid creaminess to "Sira des Indes" that totally places it as a Patou; it has that intimate, subtley worn, skinscent quality, reminding you of lush paradises and sunbaked days that's so distinctive of Patou scents. If a hazy morning spent lounging in a hammock amongst palms, dangling forest orchids and tiny whitewashed cottages is what you need, spritz on some "Sira des Indes" to hold you over until you get there.

Jasamber
Jasamber

Really wanted to like this, but the cloying banana undertones make me feel sick. Reminds me of a tropical juice drink for children.

Kittycat63
Kittycat63

I can't believe so many women, from the reviews here, seem to love this perfume!
I took a gamble on this and ordered a bottle over the internet based on good reviews I had read about it and I was VERY disappointed. It sucks!

Some of the reviews I had read about Sira des Indes said you can't smell the banana in it but I totally disagree and musty, over-ripe bananas is the first thing I smelled when I sprayed it on and that's not a very nice smell at all! After that it mellowed out a bit but still smelled quite unpleasant, musty and spicy-ish. It got to a point that I had to rush to wash it off because I found the smell repellant.

I'm returning my bottle of Sira des Indes for a perfume I can actually enjoy wearing and that won't make my stomach turn!

the top notes are great.have nothing much to do with india.it smells just balanced,not heavy,not too fresh.I think if they could add some mango to the top notes,it would be better.besides it would be closer to India.
don't get mad at me,but the midlle and base notes are terrible!maybe it's me because I dislike ylang-ylang but it smells like pee.bitter and warm,it makes me seek in the stomach.

guest_Yvonne
guest_Yvonne

The bottle looked like is was going to be a perfume that packed a strong lasting smell, but it ends up a very mild smell of vanilla.

allexa27
allexa27

Is it just me, or it is really similar to Dolce Vita!I find big similarities ...

autumn93
autumn93

Joy on a base of vanilla. If you like Joy and vanilla, and I do, you will probably like this.

rosesbecomeme
rosesbecomeme

Glitteralex said it for me. I love all Patou but this one was a huge disappointment . I am no lover of fruity frags I prefer to eat the stuff.

Moyra
Moyra

I read the notes, I read the reviews everywhere I could, and I finally ordered a bottle at Parfum1 for a very reasonable price.
Buying unsniffed perfumes is the only form of gambling I indulge in.
And what a gamble!
I was very familiar with 2 other Patou offerings, the exquisitely elegant and classic Joy and 1000, and Sira des Indes threw me for a loop.
Only the house of Patou could manage to make a perfume in the fashionable fruity/oriental genre and make it something exquisite and unforgettable.
Who would ever think of banana as an elegant note, and yet in Sira des Indes it is nestled in the arms of berries and spices and resins and flowers in a way that is very unusual and yet, in its own way, subtle and elegant.
It has something irresistible, sweet and comforting yet not cloyingly gourmand, it smells like desserts and flowers and spices, and yet it still retains that something beautiful and elegant of other Patou perfumes.
I do wish it had more sillage than it does (I have the eau de parfum) and the lasting power is nothing to write home about (about 4 hours), but I can't stop sniffing my wrists when I wear it.
Wonderful!

ineedavktion
ineedavktion

At first I was intimidated by the top notes in the fragrance, like banana and berries even though the bottom notes always work perfect. When first sprayed it was delightful, not really sweet. You could smell the berries, not the banana so much. Then it became floral and after that a little spicy. I assume that the basenotes will end up nicely. Even though others have classified this as intimate or special occassion, it is not strong enough on me to keep me from wearing it to the office, cause I would! This is my first Patou and I have to say it is really nice.

Wanted to add that this one had over 10 hours of staying power.

Taliera
Taliera

I did not know what to expect. At first it's hard to make out, but definitely smells like a "Patou". Then lemon (or bergamot), basil (or some other herb/spice) and black pepper (or other spice). Note: this was picked up from what I smelt, not from what I read on this page. Later the scent became fruity and gourmand (could not really make out the individual notes). Then floral. I thought there might be rose and jasmine, but was surprised to find only ylang ylang listed here. The base is soft musk and sandalwood. Overall, this fragrance is a very well crafted piece, an olfactory masterpiece. I would consider buying it (although it is not as strong or long lasting as the more ancient Patous...)

asilverfire614
asilverfire614

I sampled this yesterday and was very surprised...my nose got very little of what the reviews suggested. I immediately detected an underlying sweaty, body odor type smell that I was hoping would go away with the top notes. Alas, it did not, if anything it got worse...which is very strange, because I sampled it on paper. I was able to somewhat enjoy the lovely red berries and pear, but that musky sweaty note just ruined everything for me. It almost smelled like coumin. (sp?) Anyone else have this experience or is my nose extremely handicapped? (LOL!)

PR
PR

scented alcohol, if at all. Bacardi 'Breeze' smells more of the perfume than 'Sira des Indes'. In my opinion, the absolute flop and I agree in this with glitteralex

glitteralex
glitteralex

Iwas utterly disappointed in this Tropical Punch scent. What on earth was the Patou house thinking?

Zhara
Zhara

Rich sweet floral, no matter the claims of gourmand accords, the opening is all classic Patou.

However, in the process of drydown, towards the middle and finish - I swear it's the aroma of an ice cream parlor. Not just the fragrance of ice cream alone .... it's the fragrance of the whole entire parlor: fruit, marshmallow whip, sparkling clean floors, over-working a/c, everything is there.

Vanilla is here, oh yes, but so definitely an ice cream vanilla - it's chilly! how can Patou convey temperature? I can only guess.
And the fruit....these are not the ripe, heavy bananas flecked with brown from the top of your kitchen counter, nor are these the classy caramelized delicacies found in a Bananas Foster. Instead these are quite indeed the fresh, perhaps even slightly green, chilled, subdued, bananas of an ice cream split. Other fruits mix in, with the florals still shouting quite loudly, making the banana even less prominent. But they are there.

Between the heavy floral notes, the icy cold fruit, chilly vanilla, and the hints of mildest white musk anchoring things, a more appropriate name for this fragrance would be "First Date at the Ben & Jerry's". Which is actually a compliment. A great summer scent, very fun.

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

Wow! Guess I'm the only one that wasn't nuts about Sira des Indes. I would describe it as just okay. I had a small decant and I ended up giving it away. On my skin, it smells like apricots and sandalwood and was 100% linear. I never caught a whiff of the spices or ylang-ylang. Not unpleasant, but not something I feel I need to own. I prefer the other Patou's to this one, and other gourmands fragrances like Angel or Pink Sugar to this one.

Marianne
Marianne

Fortunately, I got a little bottle of it and I just LOVE it. It's becme one of my favourites. It is so incredibly warm and longlasting...the base reminds me of Valentino V a bit.

Tovah
Tovah

This is one of the most unique, outstanding fragrances I've ever worn. I love it, and so does my husband. It's a warm, ambery, romantic gourmand with a hint of a heady white flower. Sira des Indes stays close to the skin, and its sensual, musky drydown is irresistible. There's a slight touch of powdery lightness at the beginning, but it's not the type of powder that emanates from many early 20th century fragrances. This powder is a sort of sweet, crystal amber, that makes the fragrance very soft, and slightly mysterious. I don't smell specific fruits or spices, but rather a balanced fragrance that gets more sensual throughout wear. It's great for a date night!

Nuppu
Nuppu

At first is burst of berries and hint of banana, after that it reminds little bit of Gucci Rush and then developes to warm base, mosty cardamom to my nose. Sounds heavy, but even EdP is quite mild (on me)and can so on be used on daywear too.

Nice bottle and colour of the juice.

Sira des Indes by Jean Patou 3.55 out of 5 based on 312 ratings and 82 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Jean Patou Sira des Indes fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Jean Patou Sira des Indes, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Sira des Indes by Jean Patou. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Sira des Indes by Jean Patou represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.