Designers » I-K » Chypre Floral « Groups

Sublime Jean Patou for women

Sublime Jean Patou for women Pictures Sublime Jean Patou for women Pictures Sublime Jean Patou for women Pictures Sublime Jean Patou for women Pictures

Chypre floral perfume is introduced in 1992 from the famous Jean Patoy House. It is dedicated to a woman who likes to stand out with her style and attitude. This combination of beauty and harmony is packed into very elegant and luxurious bottle of Sublime perfume, crowned with golden stopper. This perfume was designed by Jean Kerleo and made a harmony of notes resourceful with sweet freshness brought in by bergamot, tangerine, and coriander along with green accords. The heart notes are attached by floral caresses of rose, jasmine, ylang-ylang along with neroli oil. The base notes sensually bring vanilla, sandal, cedar and civet. This perfume is available in the amount of 30 ml edp and 50 ml edt.

Coriander Mandarin Orange Green Notes Bergamot Orange

Carnation Lily Orris Root Jasmine Ylang-Ylang Lily-of-the-Valley Rose Orange Blossom

Sandalwood Tonka Bean Amber Musk Civet Vanilla Oakmoss Vetiver Cedar Styrax

Sublime Fragrance Reviews

Yohji
Yohji

Summer, Nice, Promenade des Anglais
mmm..can't be 1992...more like 1900-1912 same as Houbigant QF. Victorian dresses, white gloves, white umbrellas, tricky hats with flowers..lace, ribbons and feathers.
Warm, sunny, very feminine, very posh. Its easy to adore and admire..but will you brave enough to approach such a sublime lady-girl?..
Agree with opinion of Happyme2009 - “Old money, born , not made. Rockerfeller. . Belongs to a different era”.

Scentmad
Scentmad

I have a vintage bottle of this. Therefore the top notes are somewhat degraded, however the heart and base notes remain intact. This perfume is aptly named. It's utterly sublime. I had, until very recently, ignored Jean Patou perfumes much to my loss. Only recently, having read reviews on this wonderful site, did I decide to seek out some vintage. I love the carnation note, I am a caron fan for just that reason. Sublime is bright, subtle but with good silage, an addictive composition that I couldn't stop sniffing. Even with the buggered top notes, 20 minutes in this perfume enveloped me - it lifted my mood and made me feel oh so feminine.

lonestarlola
lonestarlola

Growing up, Joy was my Mom's expensive perfume. She wore Opium, Anais Anais, Poison as well. But Joy was the one she wore when she went to the symphony or a dinner party. This one was revered. I tried to wear it, dabbing a little bit onto my wrist while she got ready to go out. I'd go to bed sniffing it, imagining what it was like to be grown up and beautifully dressed at parties. It was beautiful but definitely not for me at the time, and sadly it still doesn't work on me now.

So, I saw a sample of this Patou fragrance in a bright yellow box (I have a thing for yellow) and came here to read the composition. Sounded promising, if not what I would consider my usual type. I bought a mini bottle and have tried it out tonight. It has so much of the same feel, all of the mysterious powdery luxury of Joy, but so different. It's lighter, warmer and definitely a "yellow" scent from the ylang-ylang, but not screaming-yellow. It's a cashmere-soft, golden, expensive yellow. The ylang-ylang and sandalwood definitely present the strongest, with amber, coriander and oakmoss and also very noticeable. I don't wear most florals well, but the woody elements and the bergamot balance them to suit my skin.

P.S. - I have the flower-bud shaped bottle wit gold top, and it does say P&G Geneva, made in UK. The idea of P&G as a perfume manufacturer is a bit horrifying, but on me this one seems to be good. Would love to know what the original formulation smells like.

Cocoagogo
Cocoagogo

Sublime is just that. A beautiful and wearable fragrance that exudes quality and warmth. This is the most universally likable of Patou's fragrance lines. I adore Joy and 1000, but those are certainly not as approachable as this.

Recommended for those first dipping their toes into the classic scent pool.

Alexandrarae

Purchased a 75ml EDP of Sublime yesterday. It now comes in an elegant square (like cut crystal) bottle with a gold rectangular stopper with JP on the top! (Very similar to JOY and 10000). Have been wearing it now for 5 hours and it has reached a lovely rose powdery drydown. The initial notes are sharp but soften after 15 minutes or so. My bottle says JEAN PATOU PARIS SA Designer Parfums Ltd. ENGLAND WD24 7JG - ENGLAND Made in France/Fabrique en France - so I assume that it is made in France, maybe bottled in the UK? Does anyone know if this is the case? We have moved house and somewhere in the shifting my precious 17 year old bottle of Sublime 100ml got lost! I was so pleased to see it was still being made. I can't notice any difference from the original (my old bottle was getting a bit pungent). So far, so good although I wouldn't wear it on a very hot day or the pictures or theatre as think it would distract people sitting next to you...it is not a very "shy" perfume - more of a "notice me" one! I love it but will pick the occasions I wear it on.

happyscent
happyscent

Sublime - sweet and dirty, now this is something I like, on my skin it is a contrast of powdery, amber, vetiver, vanilla, and something pupo (fecal in nature), haha; another one added to my ever growing must buy list; to try is to believe what I am talking about, really unique :P

Sherihan
Sherihan

I have the Parfum concentration, all notes well mixed and mingled perfectly, the kind of "no note stand out by itself" perfume. I only detect green/citrusy/powdery accord, yes,that's it to my nose, it's complicated and complexed scent. If I have to compare it to others,I would say: Vole deNuit by GUERLAIN, and Chamade by same house, plus Jean Luis Scherer, see, it's an intersection between green 30's smell, with green,patcoulic,dirty greens of the 60's, plus clean woody 70's balsamic greens. Green note is tricky, makes a perfume love/hate one, it hase to be balanced in somehow to get the 10/10 rates with new classic perfumes lover(like me and a lot of Fragrantica members). My version is from 1991,here it says this was introduced in 1992,but some houses used to launch Parfum concentration bottles in advance(this was before,unlike now,they rarely make Parfum,only edt or edp). I would love to try the edt or edp from this one,I have a feeling that they will be clearer and easier than mine.

queenofcups
queenofcups

Theatrical entrance citrus civet and amber that calms down to become a 2nd equal Shalimar ! Sublime is a piece of jewellery worthy of a sophisticated lady
Thank you Jean Patou for an amazing timeless chypre oriental, the material is true gold
Feels like a lady head to toes I can't get enough of the powdery notes and still feels clean and fresh at the same time ! Must be the orange notes
Unbelieavable scillage!
Timeless, classy, long lasting, glamorous ! I love it !

sandrajj
sandrajj

Just gifted myself a bottle of this from Nordstrom--they have the body cream as a gift with purchase right now--! I have had a small, beautiful little bottle of the parfum on my dressing table for awhile--oh, a dab here a dab there now and again. Last evening, after having ordered Joy for a Christmas gift, and noticing Sublime displayed on the Website next to it--after shower, I liberally dabbed on my Sublime, and OMG!!! 10 hours later, it's still gorgeous. Drydown is the bomb!!! Wow!!!

bluebellinthewoods
bluebellinthewoods

I wore this as a child.......yes a child. I begged my relatives to buy it for me. Way too old for me at the time but I loved it. My first grown up scent that was not the same as one of my family members signature scents. I remember a lemony strong and aldehydic scent. I would not wear now but would love to own a bottle for reference.

scents4me
scents4me

Our Nordstrom's has a few hidden shelves that hold older, luxurious perfumes that are not the latest on the hit parade of the gaggy sweet, floral junk that is introduced every week by every fly-by-night movie and music "star." I love to try ones I haven't smelled before, and Sublime has turned out to be a really beautiful scent for me. I received a sample, and it was lovely, so I ordered a bottle, which in itself, is quite elegant and unique.

There've been quite a few expanded reviews of Sublime, so I'll just add that it has deep, beautiful and rich notes on me, and I'm surprised at the number of compliments I've received, even after I thought it had worn off. It does last longer than other scents, and is definitely one to wear in the evening, to the symphony, opera, any elegant event. I love it, and am so happy I tried it. I think I'll put just a dab on before I settle into a luxurious, deep sleep tonight!

drouhin
drouhin

I can appreciate that this is from a respected house, and I can detect the depth and complexity in Sublime that are hallmarks of fine French perfumery.

However, on my skin, Sublime turns into a lily-carnation trainwreck sprinkled with coriander seeds. And did I mention that it projects? Oh, that it would project a little less.

Sorry, Sublime. I'm not the woman for you. (This is most likely a skin chemistry issue.)

francess.raymundo
francess.raymundo

this perfume is indeed, sublime. there is nothing like it!

ms. m
ms. m

At first spray, this smelled like an elegant and traditional perfume. Soon, a pronounced jasmine note reminiscent of Joy began to dominate. This is where the elegance ends and the rest of the animal kingdom takes center stage. Granted, my sample says "made in UK" on the back, so perhaps this is the P&G era one must avoid. For after about 15 minutes, I felt eerily nostalgic. Why had my mind wandered so? The scent wafting up from my wrist was familiar but not immediately identifiable until a visual image sprang to my mind, and I saw a row of old LPs in a cabinet...

Eureka! This smells exactly like my aunt's old Beatle albums! Her cat peed on them at some point and she had sprayed perfume on top to mask it. Molecules intermingling organically, a bit of aging, a bit of creeping mold, et voila. It makes me think crazy cat lady - not that there's anything wrong with that (I intend to become one myself). This fragrance is just not my cup of chai. Oh, eeui, took forever to wash it off!

I hope that someone will report soon on their impressions of the restored versions from this fine design house. Hint, hint. :)

MLK
MLK

I initially bought 1000 by Jean Patou after having tested it alongside Sublime perfume. 1000 perfume is very flowery and strong, Sublime is gorgeous. I went back and tried Sublime again and purchased it. It is my favourite out of the two fragrances. I love the initial fresh notes and the beautiful powdery dry down on my skin. I'm glad I went back to buy this. I will definitely wear Sublime more often than 1000.

nofixedstars
nofixedstars

Sublime is well-named---it is, truly, sublime. This is a very beautiful scent, which seems almost to shimmer, enveloping the wearer in a golden cloud of loveliness and serenity. Although it is classed as a floral chypre, the emphasis here is on the floral, and it is a spectacularly well-handled floral. Managing to be simultaneously rich and delicate, a restrained opulence...evolving from a glissade of citrus top notes through a really nice orange blossom punctuated by very dainty coriander and then into its gloriously floral heart. As it warms on the skin, the gorgeous base comes through, skillfully composed of sandalwood on a bed of balmy, ambery, very subtly animalic goodness. It is perfectly integrated by this point, a symphony of a perfume. It has decent sillage even just dabbed on, and lasts very well. In addition to its aesthetically pleasing qualities, I have found it to be almost aromatherapeutic: it's somehow cheering to wear. Really well-done...My hat is off to Jean Kerleo and the House of Patou. I can't imagine why this should be so difficult to find; it's sad to think that the shelves are filled with sugar-plum dreck and undistinguished watery pseudo-perfume when they could be offering things like Sublime. Going on the full bottle of EdP list pronto...

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Very nice, the best of 3 Patou frags that I tried ( 1000- is ok, joy- terrible). It is soft, not sweet, really a sublime chypre, available in a new squire bottle at lord & tailor. It was a total surprise for me, 90s stuff can really smell strange, but it is very classy frag.

Bazrob
Bazrob

I tried this fragrance when exploring the world of Jean Patou & was surprised because although I quite liked it but didn't think it was very special, it did provoke a lot of appreciative comments from other people so I may buy some more in the future.

Cyanea
Cyanea

A seductive yet unusual scent, long lasting i get compliments on it I love the lemon and lasting notes

Rizaldo
Rizaldo

Amazing, lovely, great and extremely rich!!!!!

I love.

My signature

kylexora
kylexora

I never knew that I would love a classic perfume like this (I called it classic because I was 8 y.o. when it was launched). I bought a miniature from eBay and I just can't stop smelling my wrist. This is a kind of my favourite scent. Well, I'm not good at describing perfume, but the opening really remind me of Dolce Vita from Dior, but drydown, however, on the other hand remind me of Prada L'Eau Ambree from Prada. I have 'em both and I love it. A bit powdery, but in a good way though. Sublime make me feel expensive, covered by luxury aura surrounded me. Try to feel itm take a deep inhale. Anyway, it just imo.

srininet1
srininet1

Bought this for my mother as a birthday gift in 2007 and it served herfor 5 years along with Splendor (Elizabeth Arden). A flowery, powdery fragrance but not the kind that will make you go "Wow!" The sales guy at the store said lot of stories about how it leaves a trail whereever you go and its true to an extent, but not sure how many are enamored by it so the trail is not so significant.

kosmoskukka

Happyme, thumbs up for Scarlet Ohara connection. *Smiles*. Yess, this is really strong scent , but the kind i do love. I have been a bit bored with many scents recently, but retourned to my old favourities. This one I found when being about my 22 and I loved this right away. So is with Organza. When feeling a bit tired on searching new things in perfumes its good to go back to old favourities and rest there- to the day when there comes force again to start to looking for. In arms of Sublime its good to rest, comforting embrace, feminine sexual energy on the bottle, soft and strong at the same time. Yeah, Lady should always have this one on her wardrobe if having strong nature like Scarlet Ohara had.
*Smiles*

onesexygrammy
onesexygrammy

I adore the top notes in this fragrance. The citrus is delightful enough to bathe in. I applied samples and the drydown was a really subtle blend of moss and wood. So I was delighted to spring for a full bottle of it. I put it on and arrived to work waiting for someone to comment on the lovely scent. There was a comment alright. While standing with a group of colleagues, I heard "something smells like bug spray!" Mortified, I eased myself into my office. I believe the sample was the original and the bottle was the reformulated version. Another lesson learned. I'm going to stay away from the originals. It just sets me up for disappointment down the road when they are no longer available. Sigh.......

Happyme2009
Happyme2009

Not really a review....
I love this fragrance but on my skin this is a powerhouse... Somehow I always sniff it and never really wear it. Too strong, too long lasting, too feminine. Old Hollywood style. Golden. Rich. Old money, born , not made. Rockerfeller. Glamour in a bottle. Unrealistic with the current world. Belongs to a different era. Scarlett O'Hara would have worn this. Or Marlyn Monroe... or Jackie Onassis... but not me.

dlane1953
dlane1953

What an exquisite fragrance. Very complex and beautifully blended. As you can see from all the notes contained, it's not a scent you can put on and forget; new notes are continuously unfolding and adding depth to the development. This opened rather gently on me--not a sharp chpyre as I'd expected, but I applied lightly, with a cotton ball so this may account for the softness. The basenotes carry this scent to a level of beauty that's irresistable. On me, the woody notes and amber is dominant, with the civit and musk playing a more low key role. Civit can overwhelm a scent, but here it's lightly used and adds a sexy note that I love with florals. If you love chypres, this is a must have for your collection. Long lasting (I have the EDP formula) and sillage very good. I'd have to give this one 100% rating. It's perfection.

coati
coati

I liked it alot, but I realized that the people around me didn't liked the smell. And I sensed chamomile on me though its not on the list. It was a very exciting time far in my later twenties and when I smell it now, I'm happy that this time is over!

@krisber45
@krisber45

Hi. This is one of my beloved scents from long ago. Was lucky to get 4 bottles on ebay, not the altered one but the original made in France!!!!
Much nicer than the new one from Procter and Gamble made in England!

Had almost forgot how wonderful it smells!!

kosmoskukka

O My God I love this Juice. I wish to find this all the way long. Maby should purchase two extra bottles.. Smiling. Thanks goes to Patou for greating such a wonderfull scent.

Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt
Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt

lol, to be fair, , as time goes by 10 , rs,20 or so years, not only are perfumes reformulated for financial reasons, but the scent of notes change, you cant get a tigerlilly from the 70s, theen find one today that smells the exact same, that's nature, it doesn't stay the same, so often it's impossible to make exact copies and sometimes it's better to chanstge some of the notes in the perfume, then to put the same but new in, sometimes it just no longer works the same way.

And even vintage bottles of perfume are not the same as when it was new. Does't have to be rancid but light changes the scent .. as well as air getting into the bottle from spraying..etc..

ANSD
ANSD

Krmarich, I can´t understang why are you always saying that the perfumes have been reformulated???!!! I read your reviews, and you are always repeating "reformulation, deformulation, new version, reformulation, deformulation, reformulation"...what an obsession!! Maybe you need to reformulate your nose, because you are evaluating lots of fragrances in a WRONG WAY!!! bahhhhhh

krmarich
krmarich

The 1990s seen the first major hit from Patou is all of its glory. Affordable and accesible to the market, Sublime rose like the sun over Parisian rooftops in the springtime. Its shimmered and sparkled like none other.

Patou was truly the master of the floral and this massive production is built on amber and sandalwood. The trend after Samsara was exotic and rich. How the magic ever happened is amazing and must be experienced by chypre lovers and more. The light florals have this soapy, creamy softness and then the darker woody base creeps up on you like magic. Sublime is romatic ,mysterious and never shouts like her grandmother, Joy.

The "French style" is probably the sense of tradition and luxury of Patou. It wouldnt get better this! In fact it is the last great Patou releases. Jean Kerleo was leaving the stage...

Indeed, it is all downhill from here as Proctor and Gamble deformualated this beauty and exploit the name Patou. Such a shame!

Updated 1/2/14

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

I am testing the EDT. I agree with Action that it is more an oriental than a chypre floral! Except, on my skin, instead of the amber being dominant, it is the orris root. So for me, it is like a softer version of Shalimar with a heavy dose of orris. This causes the fragrance to feel a bit dusty in the dry-down.

I also felt some moss in the opening notes, even though it should have appeared in the base. The opening was quite dewy and soft, a bit fruity also. It wasn't full of the bracing coriander and green notes I anticipated, and I detected no ylang-ylang. I am assuming I am testing the latest formulation, but I do not know for sure.

Sublime to my nose is more an oriental than a chypre floral. The amber is quite dominant.
It is like a softer and more modern version of Shalimar.
If you love Shalimar but think it is a bit too much now and then, this is great as a younger interpretation, but still very classy!

bluemlein
bluemlein

okay, i am reading very schizophrenic reviews of a superb fragrance here and would like to make just one comment (or two - hey, i'm a woman, i'm entitled to change my mind)

if you like an original fragrance always ensure that you aren't buying the revised version, which can be to attar what dribbles in the cat box are to the product on the counter.

and always try to buy a smaller amount of the higher concentration. i generally find edts that aren't formulated as such (4711 for example) are already at the corner before one is even done dabbing or spraying them on. one has to run like a fiend to catch up with their evaporating molecules - which is counter productive.

sublime - the sublime that i have, from years ago - is one of the happiest, throw-open-the-windows-and-sing-edelweiss, dig into the eton mess kind of scents that are few and far between. exactly as it was named - it is sublime. so that i will take care always to ask whether a scent i like or wish to test has been rejigged. rejigging usually means less-for-more, substitution of leaner, more miserly molecules for the more expensive ones of old, but with a price hike. i already pay a lot for my scents, so i want the real thing, the original formula. the one that made me fall in love at first sniff.

(c)2011 daisy morant

Tovah
Tovah

Sublime used to be the most completely gorgeous, radiant, stunning perfume, ever. I still have a gold bottle in a blue velvet pouch, from many years ago, that contains a few precious drops of what Sublime used to be. I've wanted to buy more Sublime, but every time I try it in Nordstrom, I want to cry. Sublime used to be a potion of pure gold magic: an orange blossom-chypre that could decimate any of life's obstacles and radiate its warmth to everyone along the way. The most recent Tester from which I braved a spritz, came across like one of those "If you Like Sublime You'll Love our Cheapo Deodorant-like Knock-off for $6.99,", (which no human with a nose could ever, possibly, confuse for the scent for which it's supposedly been concocted to emulate.) My most recent bottle of Chanel No. 5 edp is like a weak copy of its original magnificence, as well. So I'm hoping the cause for the change is bad jasmine crops for the last few years...If not, and if this latest formulation is what's really become of one of the most amazing perfumes anyone could ever smell, it's just tragic.

angel6
angel6

I smell Sublime in a friend about 10 years ago and love it,but I bought the EDT one year ago and to me seems a
little wick and lifeless, I remember this vibrant smell
and is not the same I wonder if the formula has been altered. It does not last very long in my skin neither.

olga1780

People, I strongly encourage you to go for EDP if you can find it! It might be pricier but it is worth every penny! I have an EDT which I love dearly, but aparently the latest formulation was compromised, because the longevity didn't match the rest of the Patous in my collection.
I finally got a 1.7 oz EDP, and let me tell you, the EDT version looks like a pale shadow in comparison!
I will definitely mix both for more longevity.
Great deals still pop up on Ebay every now and then, so don't hesitate to grab it, Patou fans!

olga1780

My love for Sublime is so great, it's beyond words. My large bottle is still amost full, and I am already being paranoid thinking about back up. It's so beautiful and sophisticated. And its complexity and the way it changes on the skin over the time is just amazing.
It just shows how unique it is because i cant't think of any fragrance that would be remotely close to Sublime.

It's such a pity that Sublime no longer graces our shelves anymore. I managed to grab a lotion on sale a few months ago, but since then, Sublime and its body products are nowhere to be found.

This is such a rich, interesting fragrance. It's slightly spicy, but mostly floral with delicate, citrusy top notes. It smells classy and sophisticated, in some ways a little dated, yet very likable.

Luscious orange top notes blended with cinnamon and green nuances is what opens Sublime. Surprisingly this fragrance smells quite clean and refreshing. As the orange settles, jasmine, carnation and ylang ylang provide a sweet, feminine bouquet.

The drydown is quite possibly my favourite part, with civet, sandalwood, vanilla and vetiver ending the fragrance with a big bang. It's quite animalistic and raw. I find Sublime very sexy in a strange kind of a way.

The sillage is incredibly powerful. One could easily mistake this fragrance for being a big powerhouse from the 70's and 80's. I love the ever changing composition which goes from sweet and charming to bitter and bold in an instant.

For me, Sublime takes me back to the days when I would play under our orange tree in the back yard, inhaling the green and salty aroma of an orange freshly picked from the tree. For that reason, Sublime captivates me.

cloyd42
cloyd42

There almost seems to be two perfumes in Sublime: it doesn't seem possible that the opening could transition to the dry-down. The opening is fierce and steely: it doesn't waft in the least--it claims its territory aggressively. It's cold sharp green flanked by civet, cinnamon and coriander (acrid enough that it has to be the leaf). If you were to put your nose to your wrist at this point your eyes would sting. After about 10 minutes the citrus and the florals begin to appear and warm the coldness. If you're like me you'll forget the perfume at this point. Somewhere around the half hour mark you'll notice a rich, soft, cloudy amber-wood-vanilla, which is savory and intriguing: the coldness and the green have disappeared completely. In the next few hours this amber beauty pulls closer and closer to you until it fades away.

There's another "two perfume" story here also. I remember this well from when it originally came out. Then the ambers were gorgeous but huge. The greens didn't disappear; they augmented and defined the amber. It was a perfume for a proud confident woman and anyone who wore it considered it a signature. It's not that way anymore. It's still very good but it's like a woman denying she's had a face lift but everyone notices that the eyes aren't quite right. I wish that IFRA and perfumers would quit messing with the wonderful scents; I also wish that they'd at least tell us when they make these changes.

Sillage: huge in the green phase, too small with amber
Durability: 2-3 hours, long fade out
Fabulosity: diminished; Tony Bennett at 70
Price to value ratio: reasonable
7/10 downgraded from the 10/10 of 1992

Lady Love
Lady Love

This has to be the best classy and luxurious smelling fragrance in my collection.The ingredients are of the highest quality.

Sublime is a big Earthy amber-Oriental. It's warm and confident. Totally feminine.

Unbeatable sillage and lasting power, loads of compliments!

Gold jewelry should smell like this.

Jean Patou made amazing fragrances.

LaPetite
LaPetite

My mother had this one , it seemed to us that it looks like "Volupté" from La Renta qui much . Indeed , their middel notes have a lot in common. However this one is whiter , whereas Volupté is greener . Sublime is also a little more subtle , more French.
I think this is one scent for the woman who is 30 and up , to wear in fall ,to warmen this atmosphere a little bit or to go out by night.

Udaria
Udaria

Oh, this is such a lovely scent. Somehow it smells "French". It is full of complex notes which are unfolding in a beguiling way. I cannot name the notes other than that they make me feel comfortably at ease.

They don't seem to last longer than three hours ... but since a little goes a long way, I don't mind dabbing again and again.

The opening notes remind me of Obsession, which I don't really care for. I am so taken in that I cannot stop sniffing my wrists.

The image of the old time movie of Samson and Delilah comes to mind ...

Sublime indeed is this creation from Jean Patou...Lauren: I could kiss you! Thanks for all the rich samples and decants you have sent me!! :-)

From the notelist and some tiny sniffs of the vial, I thought man! what a powerhouse eighties scent; more like Smashing! than Sublime. Wanting a true "on the skin" review, I decided to fill the hollow vial cap and let it's sheer golden juice cover my wrist (enough came out for both wrists and my neck!) and experience it fully...

To my surprise, this was actually very refined and much less "loud" than I had expected. Greens and citrus and herbs are what I initially got, but the more it dried the sweeter and fuller it got, yet it never came anywhere near cloying or overwhelming. It reminds me of a beautiful song, playing somewhere in the distance; enchanting and wonderful, but not right in your ears and deafening. I feel awash with sheer and true beauty, refined and elegant but not snooty or "better than". I actually feel a blush coming to my cheeks from this amazing and sensual scent. Is it even legal to smell this good?! If I could, I would spray all my bed linens in this scent and just luxuriate in it, as I fell asleep to dreams of fragrance shopping in Paris or frolicking in the fields of Grasse...

The basenotes here read like they would just be overpowering: musky, warm, oriental woody and earthy...but alongside the flowers, and the bright top notes; they are just divine. Mixed carefully with a light hand, they add a rich (but sheerly clean) slightly animalic and earthy feel to the overall stunning composition. The ancients used to believe that when a god or goddess ahd walked among them they could smell a heavenly trace of flowers and balms...this EDT makes me feel like I have been touched by something from a higher sphere, one that is pure and full of light and healing...Bliss!!

Sillage: good (EDT)
Longevity: very good
Overall: 5/5 Heavenly!!

I would type a longer summation here, but I can't keep my wrists from my nose!

I'm not kidding! But I must say this: I have heard much of JOY and 1,000 and that Patou released masterpiece perfumes...but had NO idea! This is a very classic scent, without the usual vintage bombast of aldehydes and oakmoss so prevalent in its contemporaries. Anyone who wants to smell paradise should try this...

Today, it is like I smelled perfume for the first time and fell in love all over again!!

Alexandrarae

Sublime holds many memories for me, walking the streets of London in Springtime, Anniversay Dinner at The Dorchester Hotel, Afternoon Tea at The Ritz ... making love in the afternoon. One whiff of my bottle transports me back to a wonderful time in my life. Such a beautiful fragrance - so hard to get now. Have kept my bottle (now 15 years old and it still smells divine).

Cereza
Cereza

Cold, fresh and smoky, just lovely. I'm starting to enjoy Chypre's more and more and smelling my wrist now gives me a clue why it's like that.

It opened with smoky citruses and burst of sweet flowers, extremely powerful and I must say - I'm pleased. You can't find that kind of quality in perfumes that are made nowdays. This is definetely not "old" or "dated".

I start to feel after the first outburst some kind of soapy notes and I must say I'm not a fan of soapy notes, but in Sublime they are hidden well, so I don't feel that they are too much and it does not resemble expensive soap as so many soapy fragrances does for me.

At the heart part for me the most dominant notes are green notes, orris root and carnation. For me the carnation is a strange flower, I never were happy to receive them as a gift, but I tend to enjoy them in fragrance. It's a strange flower and more gives a "green" feel, not a floral.

As it developes more it start to become more flowery and sweet, the green notes are still there, but they do not dominate that much.

I find this to be a "cold" and distant fragrance, could be suited well to a "femme fatale", not in a "sexy way", but in way "I will bite if I'm not pleased about what you have to say"

It's just "wow". Makes me wanna purchase it and stand next to those other 21-year-olds who spray themselves with some latest fruity floral that all smell the same. This is class! Must try for EVERYONE!

Elisabeth M.
Elisabeth M.

I am much into modern perfumes and don't wear the old classics often but the warm and slightly powdery retro sillage of Sublime works good on my skin. So I love to have a bottle of this. This scent decribed in short terms: sophisticated and 'French'.

Passionflower
Passionflower

Got the EDT today. Very nice scent, sophisticated and great for everyday wear.

sistertricked
sistertricked

I love Sublime. I remember having bought a big bottle in wintertime and gave it a try every now and then, loving the way the fragrance unfolded as it warmed up on my skin. A well made, classic floral touch, a memorable unique smell. I read reviews about it being a faithful companion in summer time, praised for releasing unending notes as it melts with the sun exposed skin and healthy summery sweat. I am wearing it right now at the seaside and I swear it is quite another perfume. There is something in it which becomes amplified by human warmth and environmental heat which renders it very incensey on me. At first blast (I put some liquid in a 2 ml bottle and only apply with my finger after touching the film of scent left on the cap, it is so strong ...) I appreciate the rain of flowers soaked in sandalwood, so I fill up my lungs or sniff myself very often. After a while, I have the feeling that the juice is getting purified from its sweetness, leaving aside the languid florals and elevating itself to a new dimension: lily, carnation and jasmine become somewhat abstract, meeting at a certain point in which each of the flowers left mutates into something else, making its best to resemble incense. When the drydown comes, sandalwood and oakmoss, maybe cedar too, add their own part of incense notes. Strangely enough, there is no incense listed in the notes, but there is an incensey feeling as a resultant force summing up each and every ingredient used beforehand. The scent becomes therefore purified, simplified, almost one-dimensional, with everything searching and verging towards a higher sphere.
Last night I woke up in the middle of the night and remembered to sniff my arm: incense it was, as the scent expressed its will. I sniffed again and by so doing I felt like being in a safe, sacred place, relaxed and fell asleep again.

La MDH
La MDH

The queen of perfumes. If you want to to have an air of sophistication, self-confidence, wear a touch of this.

oh_caroline
oh_caroline

This, for me, is a nightmare of aldehydes and dusty/muddy incense. Can't even get close to the bottle cause I feel sick.

And the s..t is so long lasting and it imprints in every object around... ugh!

IamWoman
IamWoman

Sublime is rich, refined and multi-faceted. It has a very "formal" presence, in my opinion, regal and refined. It is bold without being "loud"...it just has a pronounced, feminine presence. It is "full" and womanly...not "girlie" or flat. This is a beautiful, well-rounded, mature fragrance.

aromaminx
aromaminx

i remember trying this out in my early 20s....and believe i simply wasn't mature to carry it off...
recently i encountered it on a woman approaching mid 50s.and followed her out to a carparking area to enquire re her frag..she told me sublime
i got from her a gorgous garden of earth and flowers.i shall have to track this down

ktv0926
ktv0926

Sublime is truly sublime!
It is strong, elegant and confident. For a woman with natural class and style. She doesn't need to try, it's in her blood. Everybody wants to be like her, everybody secretly adores her. She can wear white and will never spill on it. She can wear Sublime.

Gosha
Gosha

Somebody mentions here that this has old world charm. I would agree. I would also agree that this is a very floral, classic and quite strong frangrance esp.to begin with. The first few minutes it's little too much of everything for me...but only for a moment... after a short while it mellows and becomes lightly earthy, sweet, still flowery, but also powdery, sensual and very complex, but as the name says - in an subtle, inobtrusive way (for me, anyway). I think I could quite easily fall in love. :-)

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

This is a wonderful scent! I only have the body mist but the body mist is just beautiful smelling! I want to order a bottle of this but its rather expensive so it will have to go on to my "Wish List" until later on but I think well worth it. This is a nice rich deep floral for the mature minded.

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

Sublime is a surprisingly warm chypre floral-
I get hours and hours of flowers!
White flowers-the light touch of lily, a pat of buttery iris, but not so much carnation or rose-they're there, but very understated. The opening is very modern with the typical citrus notes-but the coriander keeps it from being too sweet-it's a nice half-green and quite clear opening-sometimes, it could be too much, but today it gave the experience of wearing Sublime more depth. This fragrance is not too strong for me, but it's not a faint one-I don't think it would be too strong if I were to spray it on either. I have rather oily skin, near-black hair and a complexion best described as "very dark tan"-or "light-medium brown" as you can see-but I don't honestly know how melanin affects fragrance-I saw soirdelune's review and it reawakened my curiousity about this.

The base is persistant, and surprisingly sweet. A bit earthy, but more powdery and floral on my skin-the tonka bean, sandalwoood and vanilla notes are more dominate than the oakmoss(hmmm...) or the civet(thankfully!)
Not bad at all, very wearable, rather nice, but I'm not enamoured with Sublime. Yet, I could be serene with Sublime, I'm sure of it.

belletresor
belletresor

This was my favorite years ago and I just kind of moved on......not sure why. I used to "ration" it so I didn't use it up too quickly and it made me feel special and sophisticated when I wore it.

The reviews here make me think maybe I should try it again, since I am always up for a beautiful chypre floral.... and ylang-ylang, coriander, jasmine and orange blossom are notes that I adore.

I certainly have nothing but total RESPECT for the perfume house of Patou.

Hmmm. Maybe I will get a bottle and give it another go!!

libertybelle
libertybelle

Not that sublime on me. I like the slight powder elements to the fragrance at the opening but everything else just doesn't agree with my body chemistry. This on me reminds me of "OFF" mosquito spray into the drydown. And the jasmine is too much for me since it's one of my least favorite notes and seems to dominate the other floral notes. As it wears it gets better on my skin but not enough to ever be something I'd seek to wear.

nyoka

Heres another great one.Smells like a beautiful,flowery dream.T he thing I like most is that there r no chemical scents.just pure flowers.I agree it is a happy scent.Makes u feel good when u sniff ur wrist.I like it better,sprayed on clothes.

nyoka

Jean Patou's SUBLIME is just that. Really. A beautiful, complex ultrafeminine floral perfume. Although the flowers are flanked from the opening by clarifying green and citrus elements and later by a veritable laundry list of chypre and other supports, all of these serve as a crystalline vase, for SUBLIME is essentially an abundant bouquet of flowers.

Excellent staying power, even in the edt, but even more importantly, each of the various stages is as compelling as the rest, and quite distinct, while still being floral. Even in the drydown, the amber and musk manage to hold everything together: the florals do not float away but are softened a bit.

SUBLIME is a great creation with a classical structure and spirit that I can wholeheartedly recommend to anyone who loves big bunches of multicolored flowers.

LadyMuck
LadyMuck

This is a very classy perfume which I find a little on the heavy side for my taste. It definately has old world charm. Great night time fragrance for a special occassion.

rithacha
rithacha

I feel inordinately happy right now because I have chanel no5 on one wrist, arpege on the other, and sublime on the back of one hand. I love my classics. :)

Comparing them, obviously no5 and arpege are a different family, but the general feeling of golden luxury is very similar. Chanel goes on with cool aldehydes, Arpege goes on with warmer ones, and Sublime has that distinctive sharp chypre fruitiness going on. It's a temperature scale!! Sublime is more warm, chipper, and inviting than the two great aldehyde perfumes, so to me it's much more wearable.

At the start, coriander-citrus spice, quickly warming up into carnation and lily. To my nose, those two flowers are really obvious in any mix, but really the heart is so well blended that it's hard to pick the other florals out. Dry, warm sandalwood and vetiver humming like background music. The overall impression is very French chic, sophisticated lady. Not completely smooth, but nevertheless undeniably interesting.

I love how I'm able to wear Sublime without having Sublime wear me. It's really happy and luxurious, but so much more down-to-earth than Dame Arpege or haughty Mrs. No5.

Zaleska
Zaleska

I agree to all the words you wrote, Sassy1. Thank you.
They describe everything I think about this luxurious perfume. :)

Sassy1
Sassy1

What a delicious well rounded classic fragrance this is! It's uplifting and sunny yet beckons with a whisper of a hidden secret. Patou perfumes always smell so luxurious and quality made. I definately want a bottle of this one!

clairdelune
clairdelune

I smelled this one years ago, but couldn't remember it, so got my hands on a sample recently and sprayed liberally.
Aptly named, this is a lovely, very feminine, classic scent that has this wonderful quality I can only describe as 'buttery.'
It has a definite sophistication that might make it seem too formal to wear often, but it's so subtle that I think it could actually work on a lot of different women for a lot of different occasions.
I think it's especially well-suited though for an elegant evening out with someone special. Oh, and this one to me, is quintessentially "French."
Tres bon Monsieur Patou!

Kterhark
Kterhark

I brought my sample to Kauai, where it wore beautifully in the hot and humid (read: sweaty me) weather. I would toss my shirt on the beach, go for a swim, and an hour later, after the shirt had sat in the hot sun, the scent would still be waiting for me. Also thought the flowery, chypre notes went well with the laid back, tropical environment. I'll have to reach for it again the next time I grab my snorkeling gear :-)

Sublime! OMG what a scent! I love love love this extremely feminine, complex and absolutely elegant perfume and for some reason I don't wear it. I had a good decant of it in the EdT and used it up, but never repurchased. Why? I don't know. Patou's fragrances hit me with their elegance and complexity, then I find they're not so easily wearable. Sublime definetely needs a good chemistry match otherwise it's not a happy alliance. Please try before you buy. In spite of its beauty some people think it's awful on themselves. I wore it with great personal pleasure, but I'm a daring perfume lover and I often wear perfume just to smell myself and let my fantasy travel. Sublime was pure pleasure. I felt like a babygirl who hugs and smells her beautiful elegant mom on a sunny terrace on holiday. I felt like letting myself go in that embrace and feel beloved and safe. It smells of confidence and well-being. Weird, I know. It must be something related to my childhood in the '70s, something similar-smelling. Actually Sublime is a sophisticated scent that could have been released in the '70s instead of 1992 or better it smells like a '90s scent inspired by the '70s.
A male friend told me it smelled like garlic!!! Garlic??? No, I don't smell garlic, but Sublime is not an easy to wear scent anyway. Aldehydes in first stage are very crisp and a little on the harsh side, giving a feeling of hairspray, very outdated yet original. I'm not fond of aldehydes so I prefer to wait second stage where flowers bloom in a triumph and are almost serious flowers, not frilly ones. Honestly I can't smell all the listed flowers singularly.They're all there, but I just can't pick one by one. Only carnation comes out very obvious and slightly incensey. Carnation for me is associated with a mature attitude in a woman, very elegant and matronly. If there's a minus in this fragrance is a sense of seriousness, ladylike attitude, no frivolous or playful edge. It smells expensive and luxury even if you don't like it.
Do I smell peaches? There is a very light hint of ripe peach enveloping the flowers and making them softer, like a touch of sudden gentleness. It also warms up after the first 30 minutes and leaves the initial coldness behind. After 1 hour it is to die for.
The basenotes are intriguing, extra rich, ambery animalic with no dirty edge and not sweet. What impresses me most is the blend itself more than singular notes. I can smell the vanilla in the drydown yet there is no vanilla sweetness in the scent. This is typical of old good perfumery where all the notes are blended to conjure a final impression but not meaning to smell like something i.e. rose, peach or vanilla. Sublime is in the line of elegance of Shalimar and like Shalimar it can be irritating from time to time. It can be heavy, loud, too powdery/harsh and yet being absolutely above average close to the stars.
The bottle is gorgeous and feminine, it looks like a juicy perfect fruit that's so beautiful to hold in your hands. The yellow/gold box is also radiating, but I would associate that colour to gold/jewelry/richness not only sunny motherly happiness. I don't know anyone who wears this in my aftermaths. It was something special for me alone when I wore it in small doses. I can easily see how it can be a signature fragrance. Not for me at the moment, but it could be in time.

BamaMama
BamaMama

SUBLIME is my signature fragrance. I have worn it for many years. As a woman of color, I have struggled to find a fragrance that works well with my body chemistry. I want to smell rich and powerful, but not over-the-top. Sometimes I mix SUBLIME with CARTIER perfume or a smidge of LE BAISER DU DRAGON. I always want to smell great, but unique.

iMaverick
iMaverick

When I first tried this, I was overwhelmed with the coriander note in the beginning. But as the rose, jasmine and neroli emerged, I instantly thought of it as a very beautiful warm and sunny yellow scent, like the box housing this Eau. The word SUBLIME is so befitting. I can't take my nose off my wrist when the base notes emerge, smelling of sandalwood, vanilla, and civet.

I'm trying so hard to find the parfum version of this scent (not the solid). Hopefully I'll be lucky one day and find one at a good price.

pmihova
pmihova

In my opinion, Sublime is a complex fragrance for mature perfume lovers. Very french and elegant, quite unfit for a twenty-something young woman or perhaps, it did not work well on my body chemistry. No flowers or vivid development, just the thick smell of greasy baby cream. I suppose it could be magnificent on the right woman.

woogyjones50
woogyjones50

Man, this is a great perfume! Lemony and fresh with that odd dash of coriander mixed in with the lemons-all at first spray. Then the florals come in, like a lovely bouquet for the skin. Finally, the bottom notes, softly musky and full of sandalwood begin to bloom and stay on the skin for hours. Wierd, wonderful, different. Takes you from the tart, to the floral sweet and ends with the earthy sexy all in one perfume. It really is worth a try just to experience such a sophisticated perfume. Completely full bottle worthy.

glitteralex
glitteralex

Another masterpiece from the house of Patou. Sublime is a classic floral chypre that holds its own with the best: Chanel 5, Ysatis, & Boucheron Original (though classified as a Floral Oriental, it is still a chypre). The bergamot and tangerine in the top combine to create a light, lemon veil, which seduces you, and then harmoniously introduces its classic floral heart. All of the floral elements are balanced here, and of top quality. The ingredients are not individually identifiable, but symphonically blended and held together by the neroli. The base is discreet, and not animalistic in any way despite the mention of civet. I get the sandal/ vanilla combination; the cedar is less noticeable. The nice thing about this perfume is that the floral heart and even some of the lemon top linger for hours.

This perfume can be compared to a Kistler Dutton Ranch chardonnay, one of California's top white wines. I know some may think it's sacrilege to compare a French parfum to an American wine, but this is truly world-class juice,as is the perfume.

Bravo, Jean Kerleo!

randoka
randoka

this perfume makes me sneeze when i first smell it!!smells like baby powder but not so bad after all!!

Nuppu
Nuppu

Truly radiant, rich and happy scent. It chances quite much on start to finish, from top zesty flower explosion to earthy base.

soirdelune
soirdelune

I'm a fair skinned blonde .... adored this scent in the bottle but it just smelt far too powerful on me. Exclusive and composed, nonetheless.

takemyhusbandplz
takemyhusbandplz

Sublime has wonderful ylang-ylang, orange blossom, amber, musk & jasmine notes on my skin. This scent makes me comfortable in my own skin. I find this a scent for a confident woman- just a woman who is satisfied with who and what she is. She is the kind of woman who doesn't try, but everyone takes notice of her! Personally I think Sublime is an all occasion scent- from bedtime to a black tie gala. Parfums Jean Patou still maintain their own jasmine farms, so you know that every ingredient in Sublime is top notch. Sublime is very long lasting. I"d love to have a bottle of this!

Sublime by Jean Patou 4.09 out of 5 based on 420 ratings and 79 user reviews

Sublime by Jean Patou Eau de Parfum
Sublime by Jean Patou Eau de Parfum
Sublime by Jean Patou Eau de Parfum 2.5 oz
Sublime by Jean Patou Eau de Parfum 2.5 oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Jean Patou Sublime fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Jean Patou Sublime, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Sublime by Jean Patou. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Sublime by Jean Patou represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.