Designers » I-K » Floral Fruity « Groups

Jil Sander No 4 Jil Sander for women
dislike

I have it: 543 I had it: 300 I want it: 288 My signature: 14

Jil Sander No 4 Jil Sander for women Videos
Jil Sander No 4 Jil Sander for women Pictures Jil Sander No 4 Jil Sander for women Pictures Jil Sander No 4 Jil Sander for women Pictures Jil Sander No 4 Jil Sander for women Pictures

The Jil Sender No 4 perfume was created in 1990. Composition opens in roses along with floral notes of geranium, fresh fruity peach, plum and bergamot notes interlaced with air anise. Heart is floral due to the notes of rose, violet, jasmine, tuberose, heliotrope and ylang-ylang; aromatic due to tarragon, myrrh and nutmeg. The rich base is also made out of various components: amber, sandalwood, oakmoss, patchouli, vanilla, musk, coriander, civet, cedar and tonka bean. Schmidt Studio designed the bottle of this fragrance.

Plum Galbanum Peach Anise Bergamot Rose Geranium

Nutmeg Carnation Tuberose Tarragon Violet Jasmine Heliotrope Ylang-Ylang Rose Myrrh

Coriander Sandalwood Tonka Bean Patchouli Musk Civet Oakmoss Vanilla Cedar Ambergris

Plum
Divine
24 Faubourg
24 Faubourg Extrait de Parfum
Pour Femme

Jil Sander No 4 Fragrance Reviews

jazzfan
jazzfan

My first bottle of this came from my very first boyfriend. It was the little bottle of pure perfume, potent and absolutely beautiful. I was soooo young...Unfortunately, it came from nasty little bugger who was embodiment of every parent's worse nightmare.
Few years later, I broke my piggy-bank and baught a new bottle and deodorant too. My much older sister and younger brother went bonkers about it and kept wearing it until they use it. My brother even wore it to his prom! It was that good.
For about 20 years, every time when I was in Germany I was sniffing it and reminiscing. So much bittersweet memories. Few days ago, I saw a giftbox of this lovely lady in the discount store and baught it again.
Oh, my...mature, complex, every stage of it is beautiful. Epic. I don't know who created it, but he or she was freaking genius! N°4 is woody, green, creamy, sweet, flowery, spicy, animalic. It's too much and not enough...and still dignified and ladylike. After all this years and all this perfumes I understand that N°4 had huge influence on my taste and still fuels my cravings.
I'm going back for the rest of those giftboxes, I shall have some pretty happy siblings very soon. We were definitely to young for it the first time, not that that had stopped us.

That nasty little bugger sure had exquisite taste. Hell, he probably stole it from his mother...

Rosepowdery
Rosepowdery

When I was about 10 years old my father bought the box of 5 perfume miniatures for my mother. They were Guerlain Shalimar, Joop Berlin, Chopard Casmir, Jil Sander Sun, Jil Sander No 4. Jil Sander No 4 was my most favourite of them. I remember I tried them, touched the bottles and sniffed them. More than 20 years later I read here on Fragrantica about Jil Sander No4 so I ordered a sample. It was the same smell I remember. Classy, stylish, embracing scent. The drydown is amazingly sweet but not girlish sweet. I love Chanel Coco. They are not similar but there are some common features.

Katrin77
Katrin77

Wow! That is a real masterpiece! I have tested it several times at airports, before finally making my mind up and purchasing one. My opinion of No.4 has differed between "too dated and harsh" and "what a soft and alluring juice of a temptress!"

So why so varying impressions? Well, I finally figured out that the smell of No.4 depends on how concentrated the spray is. Meaning how far you hold the bottle while spraying. This fragrance needs some air and skin between the droplets. Just like a fine wine that needs to be exposed to air before tasting. This perfume is very potent, and one spray from at least 20 cm away is sufficient. The dry down is just amazing, and I am totally in love. Sophistication and sex appeal in one bottle.

Perfumedsecrets
Perfumedsecrets

The essence of 1990 is in it. This was before perfumes took a turn for the clean/marine notes. This is a perfume that says "I am in the room." If you're not confident then it will wear you instead of the opposite.

SolangeN
SolangeN

My bottle is at least 7 or 8 years old.

Its resiny green on sandalwood somehow projects as transparent but at the same time rich and mossy, with the perfect undercurrent of non-foody sweet.

If the note list stopped there, I'd wear it all the time.

Unfortunately, it's shot through with a relentless plum that seems to intensify over time and adds a cloying tinge to an otherwise autumnal masterpiece.

Rainbowbee
Rainbowbee

This scent is the most long lasting scent i have ever met and the sillage is incredibly powerful. I have a half bottle of this and unfortunately it is not possible to find it in my country. I have other beautiful fragrances but this one is always special to me. I feel smart, intelligent and sophisticated when it is on me. Lovely!

socorrosouza
socorrosouza

Along with Beautiful, my mother's favorite perfume. Can't find in Brazil, Beautiful was also very hard to find because Estee Lauder has no distributor locally. A very classy scent, moderate projection, long lasting.Tuberose-based, it is not spicy nor has prominent civet, anise, tarragon or myrrh, it has a ladylike quality that Coco Mad has emulated although with quite different notes and scent. On me the tuberose makes it unappealing.

FashionBlonde
FashionBlonde

This is way too soft, sweet, powdery on me. Can only use this post bath. Has zero sex appeal. I wish I knew enough about scents/notes to determine exactly what it is that disagrees with me, so I can avoid the disappointment and expense!

zakkarah
zakkarah

I saw a comment below saying that a fragrance were to be returned since the buyer didnt like it.....this sounds a bit weird to a swedish person....if I buy something I usually try it on before, a shirt for example. It might not feel right back home so it gets returned in an un-used state = the store can sell it again. To be allowed to return a fragrance because you dont like it isnt fair to the store owner, what will they do with an opened, sprayed perfume?
If you buy it you should at least try it on your skin and then stick by your purchase or sell it on Ebay.
I work in a store myself and live by the device ¨the client is (nearly) always right¨.....but there must be a line somewhere....:-)

Cheers
Matz in Stockholm

Sinotah
Sinotah

A mighty soft surprise.

Expecting a powerhouse and I sprayed on carefully, came out as a real full bouquet, yet smooth fragrance. Not overpowering actually. Like throwing a blanket: Goes fast up in the air... And comes down calmly.. I think the tuberose is mostly responsible for it.

She does not come out overwhelming, so even when you're not much in to tuberose, Jil Sander 4 is worth a try.

Perfect for this autumn, very happy with this little timeless gem!

ptilda
ptilda

Today is a Jil Sander Jil Sander No 4 day!
I have two wee decants of this beauty, so I sprayed one on each hand. Actually, the one on my right hand just squirted, but such is the life of samples and decants!

I look forward to trying these compared to the matching lotion, and hopefully can swing that next week, but we'll see since I've been stocking up pretty aggressively.

The reason for spraying both is because I wanted to see if there was a noticeable difference between the two. Having read the reviews, I was curious if I would sense two different formulations, but it does not appear so. While the one on my right hand seems to be a bit more loud, it also might be either the difference between spraying and squirting, and the difference in age or whatnot. The one on my right hand seems a bit more on the sharp side, and has a bit of the plastic note that comes from a lot of tuberose scents. The one on the left hand seems to warm to a spicy honey sort of scent that I can only assume is from the ylang-ylang note.

Both of these are truly gorgeous.

I find that with No 4, it is optimal to spray it and experience the fragrance from a distance. When I sniff close to my skin, I get a bit of that sharp note (civet?) others have referred to. It doesn't bother me, because I am partial to animalics. But as I lower my hands and simply breathe in what is rising to meet me, it is a gorgeous bouquet centered around the tuberose and ylang-ylang.

With other Jil Sander scents I've reviewed, the beauty is in the development and a sort of dance from one note to the next, without it being linear or static. But No 4 is different. This scent seems to be focused on the whole rather than the parts. Sort of like an enormous bouquet so full that all you can see is the beauty of the bouquet, and you find yourself unable to specify the specific flowers, or even the dominant colors.

That is not to say that this is loud, obnoxious, or without taste. On the contrary, this is the epitome of taste and refined elegance. It is one of the last true classic scents, and the comparisons with other divas of perfumery are justified.

To me, the beauty of this fragrance is in the drydown, beginning around an hour after application. It is here that this becomes part of me and it is no longer "wearing me," but is part of my essence. Not a skin scent in the least. And unlike other JS scents, there is no way that this can be called "understated." But it is not desperate for attention either. She simply knows her strong points and how to accentuate them, and when she enters a room, all heads will turn, but they will simply appreciate the beauty and then return to their life. She is not distracting.

amustabeen
amustabeen

This is one of those deep, emotive smells which tends to transport you. Elevation, sensation - that is what No 4 is. It also makes me happy, anyway. This perfume seems unisex to me - perfect to mix with a crisper, lighter fragrance like Pleasures for men by Estee . I searched for this after sniffing a sample in a Vanity Fair from 1992. BEWARE! This has been reformulated to a mute, monotone fragrance. New bottle will read Coty Prestige on the back. Old versions read Lancaster Group or a Paris address. Get that! Similar one is Ysatis by Givenchy.

Adrian_jacobs1984

Loved it when I first got it but I think I'm not a big plum fan and I get this grassy or hay note on me so not for me also I got a bottle of new poison ánd one after my mom passed last yr because ive seen reviews that have been comparing some to vintage POISON. The plum is all it has is common that's it! Not every plum scent gonna smell like poision. This is lovely on my daughter that hay note is still on her but very sexy on her my husband loved this on me but I don't I loved it for a day. Not a awful scent at all just im more into floral very clean ones! I hate all forms of posion so plum not for me and that grass / hay note I cant do!!!!!! Sorry ladies. I wish it worked out! Adriana.

Jola 72
Jola 72

The new No.4 smells barely the same ,just in the beginning same promissing notes as in the old one,then is nothing left .I mean no middle dry down or staying power,very bad reformulated.
They did the same thing to the Angel,from big bold rich to the some unisex airy water...
I have been p...ed off then it is happening...To bad...

edit -I have a bottle with batch code from 2013,get ordered bottle with b-code from 2015 to my daughter and the last one is not good at all...sad

nordhaul
nordhaul

This is like Lillie Rubin with hay and the
drydown is Red by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Full bodied, interesting, sweet and dirty.

glad57

Ok here it goes, I'm finding that the reformulation I just received today feb. 1st is the bottle with coty and made in france on the back, it smells much fresher and seems to be stronger, the bottle with the "made in germany" the supposed original is just old so I gotta go with the reformulation. It's warm, in the base I get the vanilla and the coriander, nice, the top note I get plum with rose at the center, not bad for a reform but the original I don't remember to compare I just know it was a favorite back in the day. But at least I can stand it and it's really worth wearing! I received It from Palm Beach perfumes and it smells like a good clean fresh batch, got 1oz with free lotion for 39. not bad! Wrapper still on the box of perfume!

HeavyBeatsUK
HeavyBeatsUK

From the reviews I was expecting this to smell like Poison so I wasn't too excited about opening the sample. However, I'm glad to report that it is more exciting than that. Jil Sander No 4 smells like Don Limpio in Spain, a version of Mr Muscle in the UK, that smells gorgeous! Whenever I'm in Spain, I always buy a bottle of Don Limpio and clean the bathroom with it.

If you've never smelled Don Limpio, don't imagine that this smells like cleaning products because Don Limpio doesn't smell like a typical cleaning product, it smells more like a perfume.

I imagine an older Spanish lady to smell like this perfume.

glad57

Well just received one of my jil sander #4 purchases from ebay, well the previous one I bought was made in france, dist. through Paris by way of new york, the one that came today was made in germany by way of new york, I believe the latter is the original and it is too old, doesn't even smell as good as the reformulation that I had been using but getting low. whats a perfumistagirl to do! I'll just suck it up and move on! Don't give up when you get a dud, keep frags alive my fellow fragranticans. thanks for letting me blow off a little steam, I knew you guys would understand, thank goodness I have other special fragrances to keep me cool!

glad57

homeirart, I believe it's the dark rich plum fruit thats making it smell like it belongs in the flowoodmusk category, but until I saw it in this floral fruit list I started recognizing it cuz I thought it would be fwm also because of the richness, but I think it's a more mature floral fruit than (we) are actually used to smelling these days, and then too, its considered a vintage 1990's frag. nowadays floral fruity is something like a carribbean carnival, not that its bad, just to kiddy for my taste, where back in the day the florals were really heady and if it weren't for the plum it would probably be a too serious fwm. hope that doesn't turn you off from enjoying its beautiful scent as it is a wonderful fragrance and the lotion is divine! love it.
enjoy.

Homeirart
Homeirart

Dear Fragrantica, this fragrance should be categorized in the category Oriental Floral or Floral woody musk. I don't understand why it is now in the categry Floral Fruity!!

I'm not a floral type but I can imagine that this one can be very populair for poeple who love flowers. The Tuberose is very dominant here which is not a bad thing. Then I smell sandelwood and many spices. Very strong, long lasting and classy. I can imagine a woman who is sexy but also sophisticated in front of me, in a black dress and high hills wearing this scent. Classic and timeless. Not suitalble for very young girls or at the office!

glad57

This fragrance is just delicious! Don't be fooled by the fruity floral label is is a rich rich floral with warm sensual fruit that is soo lovely. My new favorite, I have plenty of frags I love but this is really gorgeous, I will wear this everyday. I don't know if it's a summer scent yet but I definitely won't mind trying it out to see! No age perameters, really don't believe in that, it's just gotta be your style of fragrance, but I believe it's really something for everyone. It's a cool blast in 60's weather too!
Enjoy my fair fragrantigans!

glad57

Ahhhhh! Beautiful fragrance! Wore this in the 90s in my mid twenties and absolutely loved it and decided to give it a try. Just as lovely as i remember but even better now that im more mature. Strong, lady like, amazing dry down, sweet, sensual, warm, ambery but with a touch of fruit in the middle. Drydown sandalwoody, ambery with a tinge of leather. Just a really gorgeous-well put together fragrance to be made in 1990. Grown up but anyone who likes the 80s and 90s frags would love this warm flowery juice and its long lasting but I believe it's a good 5-6 hour scent, but dries down on your skin like a best friend who loves you till the end, its powerful at first spray and the sillage has got to be great, i heard my husband only when I first put it on saying " what have you put on now?" He doesn't know this is one of my pleasures in life, to buy, sniff and review!!!

Adrian_jacobs1984

Until 15 mins ago beautiful by Estée Lauder had been my scent for 20 years. And than I got No 4 in the mail and OMG it is so much better I have found my true new scent. This is by far the best scent I haver ever smelled. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. OMG! It's goegeous! This I could see myself wearing every day! I'm in love and my hubby is in love also. This is freaking a sex bomb!

lilymorena
lilymorena

When I smelled Jil Sander for the first time I thought it smelled as Poison. I am comparing Jil Sander 4 and Poison right now, side by side. Sillage is heavy, really heavy. I smell the plum in both. They are sweet and complex with layers that keeps changing emerging and disapearing. They have smoke in the background and lots and lots of plum. In the first minutes I do prefer Jil Sander because of the almost soapy floral and honey notes. Honey is not mentioned, maybe the ylang ylang. After the first minutes they take different directions. Jil Sander is now more floral with a beautiful rose and amber as in Calligraphy Rose. Poison is plummy with a burned Sugar note and this note is a constant one. I smell no civet. They do have simmilarities. Jil Sander goes from fruity, to floral to woody. Poison is linear and doesn't change much but gets a bit softer. I would say Poison has a moderner vibe. Half hour has passed and so far they stay the same as 15 minutes ago. I think Poison is a party scent and Jil Sander a dinner scent. I still prefer Jil Sander 4.

hdmc_2000
hdmc_2000

It says fruity floral, but this is not a teen girl kind of fruity. Its very sweet and soft, but in a grown up way. It has just a touch of spice to it as well. I don't smell any civet, which is a good thing! :)

First time I tried no 4 it didn't work out with my skin at all. I gave it a new try and now its just wow. Warm, female, and superlonglasting. My boyfriend loves no 4 on my skin, so no 4 has turned out to be a favourite.

Förra gången jag provade no 4 funkade den inte als med min hud. Gav den en ny chans och nu är den ljuvlig. varm, kvinnlig och otroligt hållbar. Min kille älskar no 4 på mig, då den har blivit en favorit.

Endymion
Endymion

@Mariann79
You wrote this review to Jil Sander No 4 :)

Mariann79
Mariann79

This perfume is so beautiful, classy and sophisticated. It reminds me very much of White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor. The two have no less than 8 tones in them that are exactly the same ;)

WhiteVelvet
WhiteVelvet

Jil Sander No.4. This is a favorite of mine.
Classy, elegant, sophisticated.

rednut
rednut

I'm not sure I can add anything that hasn't already been said. It is for me a lighter version of poison (vintage) and it does have the same extraordinary sillage and longevity. Had it not been for the reviews on here I would never have tried this and now I have it, I don't think I would categorise it as floral fruity. Beautiful woods and florals. The civet is sour on me for about 10 minutes and then blends perfectly. I can get the plum but not as much as others seem to and it's also a little spicy on me. floral, spicy, woody. It's made for a confident woman. It's spellbinding.

Tiger84
Tiger84

Based on the fruity floral category I would have never tried this. I'm happy that I did though. Bombshell with perfect balance. Does remind me to Poison and Cabotine but a bit less loud than Poison and a bit more complex than Cabotine. Just powdery enough to give a vintage feel, this old-fashioned facet makes it erotic for me. While I have smelled scents like this before, it is much better than what I smell in today's world every day.

Update: it just reached the drydown, which is exquisite! A wonderful blend.

Angela Agiannidou
Angela Agiannidou

I can't recommend enough this beauty! One of the most elegant juices I have ever tried, deep, resinous, sweet. It starts spicy and animalic, and goes on to develop into a bitter/sweet animalic fruity sensation, galbanum is strong but sweetened moderately by plum and myrrh which is present throughout, ever so faintly, jasmine a touch indolic but freshened by oakmoss, like a gentle kiss on a cheek, the peach very prominent but never too strong to take it into fruity territory, it seems like a harmonious coexistence among Peach, Resins and Wood with a faint touch of Tuberose and Jasmin! What I love about it are the gentle nuances of coriander, nutmeg and carnation, the last one particularly strong in early and middle phase of the scent. This is beautifully complex yet straightforward, a mix of fresh and oriental notes, with a bold play of resins and fruit! ELEGANT! SOPHISTICATED and unique! There are similarities to Bijan but I find Jil Sanders 4 more complex, if that was possible! This is a chic fume for a woman, deep, complex and sensational, a certain MUST for any wardrobe!

CindySwede
CindySwede

I recieved a bottle of Jil Sander no.4 today. It was a complete blind buy as I have never had this perfume before. As it turns out this perfume is almost identical to the original Bijan fragrance for women, which I already have.
Very warm, classy and reminiscent of the 80's.

meissie1982
meissie1982

A few weeks ago I bought the 30 ml for €18,-
I love Jil Sander perfumes so bought this one blind due to the low price.

Very strong, very heavy floral but beautifull!
Oh and longlasting! Up to 12 hours and more.
The tuberose and sandalwood are great in this one.

Today I take the time to try to pick out the notes and then I give you an update.

Edit: 19/1
Jasmine and tuberose all the way for me.
I find it sexy but clean. It's heavy but crisp.
Can be uplifting on a grey and misty day like today.
Will try it in summer very curious what that will bring.

Rinio
Rinio

A classy, elegant, "uppity" perfume every Grande Dame should own!

Saltaire
Saltaire

Sweet, spicy, heavy, cosy, feminine. To my nose it starts out elegant and then gets sweeter, as if the top-heart-base-notes were reversed. My husband finds it too sweet. He says he smells mainly vanilla, but I don't agree. With regard to sillage and longevity it beats all my other perfumes. I like it very much and would recommend it for the cold seasons.
Edit:
This has been my workplace perfume for the last few months. I find the scent very warm and comforting. It's important however to apply very little, only a dab at the back of your neck just below the hairline. I can smell Jil Sander No4 on the collars of my winter coats and cardigans now, that's really nice.

sirop de Liège
sirop de Liège

I bought this blindly based on the reviews and the notes. It all sounded promising and I do love tuberose so I was convinced it was a safe bet. It was not! The floral notes are wonderful but the civet ruins it for me. I have a skin chemistry that amplifies this weird sour note. The first time I wore this to work the woman sitting at the desk next to me shouted in horror:"oh my what a stench!". So you can imagine how I felt, and believe me my colleagues are used to my perfume experiments! This was just too much.
I gave my bottle to my mother and when she wears it none of the civet is prominent, amazing floral notes, yes. It smells divine on her.
An amazing perfume, but just not on me.....

Aardwolf
Aardwolf

Undescribably complex, old-fashioned in a good way, VERY potent and longlasting.

Alina K15
Alina K15

Best creation in perfumery as we know it today!

Planet_X
Planet_X

What a potent elegant potion! Exceeds even silage of Poeme and Van Cleef Van Cleef!
I wanted to buy it for more than 5 years – without even testing before, as note-wise it was obviously a masterpiece to me but I truly imagined its plummy more than anything. Yet I must say that once I applied it I just closed my eyes...so good...And its musty flowers, not a fruit-garden at the beginning...Its like a bright yellow dandelion fields where we being kids loved to play so much, admiring those first warm steps of spring...all our clothes and hands were marked by those dandelions stalks, we were wearing yellow circlets on our heads like a pagan tribe...Felt poisoned by nature and carelessness.
On the drydown you really get plum more and nutmeg with civet. Chic brightness is flowing into undeniable elegant heart of rose and heliotrope, and the base is sooo solid and earthy and rich.
And its lasts and lasts and lasts..What can be better in cold seasons, - I don't know.

I would seriously consider to rename it, at least for myself, after Bradburys “Dandelion Wine” - would suit 100%

P.S. Absolutely not similar with Fath de Fath.

bananas
bananas

Just received this from the postal man.....Could not wait to lift the lid to spray.
This is absolutely GORGEOUS!!
Classy. Sophisticated. A floral honeyed depth.But the fruits keep it from being too stiff or serious....a kind of 'playful' sophistication.
I love.

gracenote-floralspice
gracenote-floralspice

My first Sander Fragrance.
Jill Sander no. 4 - refinement and elegance. A thing to remember: less is more. For me it is an autumn/fall fragrance. The honey amber quality and of course the spices and fruits can brighten a gloomy day, or the golden tone captured in the fragrance is also so well suited to the bright burnished shades of autumn with its sounds and texture in dry leaves. There is something dry and so sophisticated about this masterpiece. I am going to use my bottle sparingly as I here it's being discontinued. Oh let this not be true.

junior halston
junior halston

A fragrance that sums up 1990 very well and the last of I think of the greats in florientals. As we started to move into the new decade we would see light ocean marine type scents take center. This and Feel Man by Jil Sander is best from this house.

lorenna.lynn
lorenna.lynn

I <3 !!!!!!!!!!!
#JILSANDER4
4EVER

Angel in the South
Angel in the South

A surprise blind buy for me and I am so glad that I bought this. A beautiful fruity floral that lasts. I do get the similarity with Poison but this is so much better. It is a heavy perfume but not in a bad way. I feel very elegant and feminine when I wear this and it is going to be a favourite in the coming colder months ahead. If you are a lover of classic perfumes then I am sure this will not disappoint. Sillage and longevity are very good, unlike some perfumes that I have, this one stays for hours. Beautiful amazing perfume, try it if you can before it disappears forever.

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Oriental fruity-floral, strong, opulent and intoxicating. Happy and safe buy, very lasting and recommended.

roseau
roseau

Jil Sander n°4 is a very heavy , warm , spicy and enveloping fragrance. It is not cloying-sweet, the sort of "light sweetness" it develops only has the effect of rounding off the scent and to avoid the scratchiness of the vivid spicy notes.

Overall, no. 4 a typical Floriental , the "beginning of the 90s mood" is well recognisable in its time of origin.

It should be dosed very sparingly and is probably a fume for the evening. For an office and everyday use is in my view rather inappropriate for it also exudes a certain eroticism.
I noticed that this scent needs a sort of "mandatory body heat" to develop nicely . Dont't spray it in the hair. I did it only one time, with relatively cooler temperature and the perfume has developed an urinous, uncomfortably sharp note. Maybe civet... don't know. So always spray it on your skin!

I owned a small bottle many years ago and I still own a big sample from those years: perfect!
This was real perfume. Did they reformulate it? I smelled it again at a duty-free in Germany, it seemd changed, but I was in an overwhelm of perfumes.
I cannot find it where i live.
My sample is glorious. It smells fresh as ever.
This is a real floral-oriental with amber. And it's complex, multi-nuanced, feminine all the way, full of armonics.
All modern fall flat on their face compared to this one.
I could not understand the real value of this gem at that time, but I never thrown it away, because... I cannot explain exactly. I gave away lots of perfumes and samples, but some of my stash never goes. It seems that they want to stay with me and tell me: "Wait! Don't discard me now, you'll regret!"
Yes, but why don't you wake me up before you get discontinued or badly reformulated??
Now that single sampl I own almost makes me cry for its beauty. There is a chance it's just a memory thing, but in any case this used to be a memorable perfume and very high quality.

Guest_Giog
Guest_Giog

With this perfume my girlfriend gets very sexy, I love # 4 by Jil Sander!

Ciceronek
Ciceronek

I think this is the most well-made perfume in the world, I also think that it is the most underrated in the world. Because this masterpiece contains natural extracts, and the nose has signed it (Michel Almairac) is one of the biggest noses of all time.
Impossible not to love him, even for a man like me.
I think Jil Sander # 4 is GREAT.

kytikyti
kytikyti

At the beginning i didint like it at all. I tried it several times, but all i could feel was too much of a weird parfume i couldnt take. Than i got to Poison. I smelled it in a shop and i kind of liked it. So i looked at it on Fragrantica and saw, that some compare it to my Jil sample. I tried again and smelled the same tuberose. And sudenly something broke inside of me and i could understand. There is something wild and sweet in this perfume. I am waiting to get my full bottle and than i can ttry it properly.

Dollycat
Dollycat

A true classic masterpiece! I finally got another bottle
of this excellent perfume. It's really a scent of the nineties. It's heavy and soft in the same time. It's not a sweet scent at all more a deep woody and little bit oriental without any sweetness. It will stay 8 hours minimum on your skin. I love this one very much because it stands out in the crowd. No. 4 is definitely not an ordinair perfume.

blacktaffeta
blacktaffeta

Lovely, classy, beautifully-blended fragrance. It smells of top-quality ingredients and a master pefumer's hand (do we know who did it?)

BUT, it's heavy on the tuberose, so if you don't like tuberose it probably isn't the one for you.

Germany
Germany

Use to love that one. Super classy!!!! Amazing scent!!!

auroramaria
auroramaria

Because of all the positive reviews and cause I love a few other Sander's scents I recently blind bought a body lotion of n. 4 since at my local store there was no tester.
I applyied the lotion this morning after showering and a new wonderful world opened its doors to me.
This is one of the most delightful scent I have ever smelled! Rich and gorgeous tuberouse, a bit heady but in a very positive way.On my skin it developed so beautifully I can still smell it after about 12 hours my skin is now scented with vanilla and musk but you can detect other notes so cleverly blended in this glorious fragrance.
I have been sniffing my forearm all day trying to find out what n.4 reminded of and finally I got it.
N.4 is in the same mood and headiness of the gorgeous Black Orchid Voile the Fleur.Both immensely sensual and feminine.

VeeNVegas
VeeNVegas

This is an all time favorite of mine.Very sweet and feminine. I always receive compliments when wearing it. Sadly, since it has been discontinued, the price it brings on E-bay is way out of line for me. I've found that Cabotine Gres is a wonderful substitute...very similar in scent, notes, and silage...also very affordable!

cumulnimbus
cumulnimbus

I treasure a 30ml bottle of this perfectly blended perfume. I like it much more than other celebrated tuberose scents. I can't figure why isn't this one so popular I suppose it's too seriously complex for many.

The opening is already telling the constant mix of spices and flowers the composition is. It includes noticiable bergamot, dark fleshy fruity notes in addition to carnation and geranium, anise and wonderful galbanum. What a beggining, nothing like this in my memory. The good quality flowers in the middle notes are kept from being too sweet and overwhelming by the inclusion of myrth's depth and tasty nutmeg. It has a perfect woody spicy base that makes the dry down not only last long, but shine in an old school elegant way. I'm happy both civet and vanilla notes are not too big.

Sillage isn't too heavy if you properly dose in application.

A delighting perfume. Best Jil Sander's.

regnflickan
regnflickan

I found this in my mom´s dresser when I was home visiting and sniffed it. I´m in my mid twenties and was thrown back to my childhood when mom was wearing it in the 90s. For me it´s such a nice scent, I always loved when mom was wearing this parfume. Very warm and feminine. Mom told me she dind´t use it anymore so I could get what was left. I don´t wear it when I go out, even though it´s really a nice scent it doesn´t feel overly modern to me. Insted I put some on when I´m home from work shilling and I get that safe, nice feeling and smell wonderful at the same time!

antfarm
antfarm

I was surprised to see that this came out in the '90s, as it reminds me quite a bit of the '80s. It's very big and "classic"--a perfume with a capital "P".

It smells like strong, sweet tuberose and mini shell-shaped hand soaps. I like it quite a lot and it performs a lot better on my skin than other florals, but would not buy a bottle, as it doesn't suit my style. It's very formal. Well, I do like it quite a bit...maybe I'd just use it for more formal occasions.

teilani
teilani

At 15 or 16 this one of two scents my mother and I found for me one summer that both suited me and did not set off any of her allergies. It was a splendid display love to see my mother put herself through that hell of reactions so I could find my first grown-up scent. For the next 13 or 14 years, this and Gucci Accenti were the only scents I wore. Despite the ... explosion of purchases I've made over the last two or three years, this is STILL my signature. When I was a teenager and in my early 20s, this inspired confidence and poise in me at some of the most opportune moments; it still does this, but now it also makes me smile with the familiarity and memories it can evoke.

A word of warning though, this is as strong as anything I've tried and lasts. If I am going out, I walk into one air shot and I am set. If I am staying in and want it to be a bit stronger a single spray to a wrist that is dabbed to the other and neck suffices. Within a half hour the dry down has begun and I am in an olfactory heaven. Happily, though listed as a fruity-floral with a sweet component, this is NOT one of the sickly sweet fruty-florals that I find have been inundating new releases, but substantial and with a great depth that blends many notes exceptionally well. The balance of notes is perfect and the dry down is an epitome of luxury for me.

Annica
Annica

An overwhelming experience to say the least. First of all the smell of urine and then the smell of flowers/urine. Not joking! Finally, an odor of a lipstick that has been forgotten in your handbag for years.
Awful! Probably my skin chemistry. I guess it is the civet that ruins everything that could have been pleasant. I am sure this is very good on the right skin, skin that can handle this amount of civet. I mean, just read all the positive reviews here....Those speak for themselves...

rosembloom
rosembloom

A gorgeous satiny scent that I love for fall and Winter. It is alluring, mysterious, well rounded, warm and cozy to boot! It's sillage is quite noticeable I find and its longevity is hard to beat. Mine is vintage yet I wear it on special occasions . Some compare it to Poison : true, it does have this plummy-grape yumminess and the muskiness is alike yet it is more refreshing and sparkling than the other. Shall be sporting this one this Fall!

muskymoi
muskymoi

I would sacrifice a dinner out to buy this one. Just waitin' on an ulta coupon before I buy! Heavenly and oh so grown up. This one makes me want to put shoulder pads in all my fall/winter clothes and rock it, Angela Bower style. (for all the twenty-somethings on fragrantica, this is a reference to "who's the boss"; a sitcom from the 80's).

loreeno
loreeno

To begin with life is short so let's wear the good stuff! Jil Sander No. 4 is a lovely, lovely scent and all I can say it behaves so differently on my skin according to the reviews here. To begin with this wonderful scent is so blended & upon opening it's a beautiful fruity floral with a touch of anise. There is something in this perfume that makes it apart from the rest and so irresistible! I do not get a loud opening as many have. When it drys down it warms and civet, ambergris,sandalwood, & oakmoss are the stars with carnation and a touch of geranium which is such an unusual floral but it draws you in & I cannot help but to repeatedly smell my wrists! The silage is moderate, it's not a strong or heavy cloying scent but a complex, warm & utterly divine scent on me.
It is now 3 hours and with my mature skin I am amazed at the longevity of this scent. It has evolved and just when I thought it couldn't get any better a shy note is peeking out it smells like nectarine... oh how I love this unusual, beautiful,sophisticated scent I just have to get me a big bottle of this... maybe 2 or 3!
Don't shy away from this perfume for fear it may be too loud or dated for I think you will be pleasantly surprised and will want to add this unusual lovely scent to your perfume wardrobe.

cleo777
cleo777

I had forgotten all about this one, haven't seen it in stores here (British Columbia, Canada) for years. Used to be my old clubbing perfume!!! One night at a club a girl came in to the restroom "glowing" and asked if anyone had any perfume she could borrow. I happened to have my trusty Jil and handed it to her. While warning her of its strength, she proceeded to cover herself in 6 sprays of it. Yikes! I bet she can still smell it, ha ha! Anyway I really liked it then, although I agree it had its special timeframe, don't think it would be relevant or very modern smelling now. But it were pretty, it were. And I'll admit if I found it somewhere at a reasonable price I might be tempted just for the nostalgia factor.

serchina
serchina

I bought this last week for my mother (its still at the stores so I am not sure if it discontinues?)she is a fan of this house, so I bought it without sniffing. When she opened the bottle I put it also on my wrist and OMG how stupid I am..the price was so low at the airport and I should definitely bought one more for myself..
The combination is just lovely and I can smell every single note from the opening. Its a floral-fruity and for this reason I didnt even expect that I would like it so much..I have really respect to this house..they definitely know what they do and have a style out of the ordinary which they keep during the years. Jil Sander perfumes make me just think about simple, modern and strong women who know what they want :)

Edit: its not for everyone, but someone who loves well-blended flowers and fruits in an oriental and kind of old-school way would love No 4 for sure..

chickenpotpie
chickenpotpie

Big, powerhouse, and really amazingly lovely. For me, this wouldn't be an everyday scent. This also won't be something that everyone will love. On the right person its amazing (I do love this on myself) But I can see where it could get out of hand very very quickly if over applied.

Personally I think its a shame its been discontinued. This perfume really does seem to last quite a long time (on me its been going strong for now 8 hours)

It does have a powdery element but its not so much that its overwhelming. The rose and carnation help to temper this very well and keep it to a minimum.

I would seriously doubt I could (or would want to) wear this is warm weather, so for me it will be a definite winter treat.

sigolene
sigolene

This was a gift to me some years ago. I thoroughly enjoyed it and was always perplexed as to what I did smell, it seamed so simple but was so complex. Until today I never discovered the notes. Now, I understand how I could not discern.

I must say I found the bottle a glorious weight to hold and the cap that sat atop to be quite beautiful and fine on its own.

Grottola
Grottola

I'm probably going to get my ass kicked for this, but I immediately thought of Poison when I smelled No 4. Wait, lemme explain!

If you hanker for the glory of vintage Poison (in the oval bottle), but don't feel like tracking a bottle down, No 4 is a good substitute. No 4 is a close match to Poison in all of her piercing, honeyed tuberose glory. All the same, I have a bottle of vintage Poison, so I needn't bother with this.

If you like tuberose, or Poison for that matter, try this.

johngreenink
johngreenink

This is such a beautiful perfume. It's one of the few that I could describe with such contradictory terms - complex and simple, deep and fresh, floral and sexual. I think Sander came close to creating a scent that is truly chameleon-like depending on the woman who wears it.

The coeur-note of tuberose really shines here - I think the combination of tuberose and fruit is a wonderful mix, taking off some of the syrup of the former and freshening it with the latter. The base is SO rich and diverse; the civet and patchouli are very warm, the coriander and ambergris counteract this and cool it down.

This is also one of those rare scents that truly doesn't smell like anything else. When I try to pair it with a more famous and older scent, I'm at a loss. Number 4 is its own woman.

cynthia773
cynthia773

VERY sexy scent - first smelled it on my boss and was blown away, like nothing I ever have experienced. She gave me the name and I got immediately. Did not smell remotely the same on me as it did her, but still I love it in a different way. It is very deep, mysterious and rich. Smells of floral/rose and patchouli. Lasts ALL day.

Jbossrn
Jbossrn

This was my signature scent for ten years! I got stopped almost every time I wore it. I believe it is out of production now & I would love to find something with the same scent. (2011)

Mimmi
Mimmi

This is the perfume I pull out of my stash when the first chill strikes in the beginning of autumn. The scent feels as glowing as its color. Nothing beats a dose of peach and ylang to brighten a grey morning at work. The heart is balanced by geranium and moss to keep it from tipping over to the too sweet side. Warm nutmeg and tonka in the sensual honeylike drydown is perfect company for an autumn evening. My partner finds this one attractive, I actually find the whole world more attractive when I'm wearing Jil Sander no4. Moderate sillage, good lasting power.

ro-storm
ro-storm

great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Joanna! You are right, there is a sure resemblance with Red. That one is really sophisticated too! Two great polished perfumes!!

Joanna2533
Joanna2533

I bought JS No. 4, just some days ago, in a Duty Free Shop in an Airport. I liked it all at once! It reminds me so much Red of Giorgio Beverly Hills. And when I checked the components of them, there were more half the same. JS No. 4 is a classical perfume that awakes the nostalgy of the serious smells of the ninetees. The latest makes part of my favorite perfumes.

I like most of the Jil Sander scents but this one is too heavy and old-fashioned for me. It smells like a classic and fits well into the "early 90s area". Today I'm not wearing these kinds of scents anymore - also because most often they give me headaches. So No.4 is not a buy for me.

Siv55
Siv55

Green spiced honey. Mostly honey. Mature serious honey made by assiduous bees who at the end of the day don't care about you. Something self-contained about it. Intelligent interesting scent but it's somehow not friendly? Perhaps it's just me :/

EDP REVIEW-

My very first Jil Sander scent ever *Thanks Weegee* and I see now what all the hubbub was about. This perfume borders on magnificent...

One vial cap lid full was enough to make a pool on my wrist, which I quickly touched to the other wrist and smoothed on both sides of my neck! It is hard to type this review, as I cannot stop sniffing myself!!

A perfectly balanced opening of powdery spiciness (galbanum and anise) along with luscious fruits (plum and nectarine) and a twist of citrus blended with dry geranium and roses grabs you. God is this gorgeous...and this is just the beginning?! This is something that is rich and classy but not overpowering or cloying. I must have a full bottle of this! Flowers, flowers, flowers arranged perfectly with just enough sharp greens and dry warmth, yet they do not "wilt" but seem magnified somehow. No.4 is an absolutely flawless combination of stunning beauty! To even begin to try and pick out the seperate floral notes would insult this divine creature; you must just adore her as she is, with no in-depth analysis, and be lucky you have even been fortunate enough to be near Her! My "perfect perfume" has dark florals (check), rich not saccharine fruits (check), some spiciness (check), and a woody incensy oriental drydown (check check check)...Ladies and Gentleman: THIS may be the most perfect perfume I have EVER sniffed! Repeated sniffs of my wrist have brought on what I can only call a "rush" to my brain, my heart and my spirit!! The drydown is earthy, woody, warm, and musky; ever so slightly dry (but dripping with elegance) and just raw enough to be sexy and polished enough to be classy. I could go on and on...but I think you get the picture here!

Sillage: Great
Longevity: very good
Overall: 5/5 *I am in AWE...*

Jil Sander No. 4 is simply perfect, the only thing I might have asked for in the "perfect" frag was a bit of smokiness or a hint of leather; but this is something I would NEVER want to see messed with, and an overly smoky or leathery feel would tip this in a direction It was never meant to go. I would sell some body part I had two of, just to own a full bottle of this juice!! I only hope that the men's scents are as awesome! Part of me is actually afraid to sniff other Jil Sander scents, as they may not live up to this one...I imagine the No. 4 Parfum is out of this world!

*buries nose in both wrists, inhales deeply, swoons*

Wauw Passionata, GREAT selection of perfumes I consider members of the same family!! You should add some recommendations for us Fragrantican's in the Fragrance Families Thread!!

passionata20
passionata20

When i tried it today i instantly knew that this one is in my favorite group of fragrances along with Guy Larocheś "Clandestine" and Valentino´s "Vendetta". It reminds me more of "Vendetta".
Really nice and sweet scent in my favorite combination: peach, plum, rose, carnation... when i see all the ingredients i already like it, but when i apply it i like it even more.
One minus to this one is that compared to "Clandestine" or "Vendetta" this one in EDP concentration lasts less than those both two. After some time i have to sniff really close to my skin to feel it. Yet this is really delicious in any way.
I don´t see any age group positioning, i think it´s for any age. You just have to be in a right mood for it and have a proper weather: spring autumn, chilly summer, winter... This is more for chillier type of weather IMO.
My verdict: the first fragrance among other Jil Sander´s that i have already tried or owned that i REALLY like!

darkbeauty
darkbeauty

Woods and spice dominate this scent on me in a very masculine way. Are you sure this is floral fruity? Smells more like Chypre Floral, or Woody Chypre. Anyway, it doesn't work on me. But I think my husband could carry this just fine.

Thanks to weegee for the sample.

adrienn99
adrienn99

like few of the reviewers before me, i got this one from the airport duty free for a ridiculous price.

it is a lovely warm fragrance (and i can also say, it is more for women than for girls)

it starts off pretty spicy then with time passing it becomes very ambery with a caramel hint, which i truly adore. Long lasting enough, not too much of sillage though. Well articulated carnation.

If you like grown-up feminine fragrances that are fairly balanced among several dimensions (like femininity vs. confidence, subtlety vs power and also the notes) and want a sexy frag without screaming 'hey i wanna hook up with someone no matter what' then this could be for you.

naheed
naheed

I second Action! I was around 17 when I started wearing JS no 4 and absolutely loved wearing it. My mum's best friend had brought it for me from her trip to America, she had given this to me with a soap and a mini shower gel. For me it's a sophisticated and complicated scent with a great silage and longevity.

OlfractalInfemme
OlfractalInfemme

The notes of this scent manage to blend harmoniously into an orchestra of warmth. I would recommend it for wearing by the woman in her fifties, perhaps a teacher or counselor. This fragrance smells more intriguing in the bottle than on, being a bit lackluster. It comes off as a somewhat generic woodsy fragrance, neither too sweet nor astringent and surprisingly listed as a fruity floral. It's nice and warm but just doesn't say anything in particular. If I picked a place to wear it, it would be on the beach... it makes me think of warm golden sunlight hitting the sand, salty skin and pure relaxation, perhaps even a sleepy kiss on a blanket.

Maki
Maki

If someone would have mentioned 'Poison' in association with JS No 4, I would've never bought it! I can't see how anyone could ever even think about Poison, smelling or wearing JS No 4!!! It's much more tender and much more sophisticated in my opinion (I hate Poison!) Unfortunately something awfull did happen to the 'noses' of JS...considering their new frags and the disappearance of JS Women III, Bath and beauty..and...I fear...eventualy JS No 4...
(Please forgive my English...I'm from the Netherlands and might make a few mistakes..-;))

nyoka
nyoka

This tastes like a perfectly prepared steak with an unsual expertly blended cocktail!It is the EPITOME of a great well rounded fume.Something for all.Fruity,floral and the dry down notes that r the somewhat odd but,lovely like the perfect kiss at the end of a beautiful date.I cant imagine anyone not loving this

Wauw, there are actually people that DO NOT like this???????
It is GORGEOUS!!!!!!

Jacqueline
Jacqueline

It's still one of my perfumes I get the most compliments on, and some people react surprised when I tell them its Jil no 4.It seems to be softer at my skin than normally.
My husband loooooves it when I wear it!!

guest_spagirl2377
guest_spagirl2377

I have been wearing this perfume for 20 years and I have such a hard time finding it! But I dont want to switch!

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

While I am drawn to the sticky-sweet quality of this scent, and I love the earthy base, there is something in the composition that gives me a headache and occasionally makes me nauseated. Still I feel compelled to sniff my wrist and reminisce about the summer I spent wearing it. I used to have the same physical reaction to it back then, too. What is it about this scent that draws me to it, yet pushes me away?

Miss_Nightingale
Miss_Nightingale

I got a bottle of this very cheaply at the airport, and to be absolutely honest, it was in a "buy two for £15" deal, and this one was merely to make up the numbers.

My other choice was a safe one - Casmir, which I'm nearly out of. THIS one I had never even smelled it before and couldn't remember any of the notes... All did not bode well. And yet I really quite like it.

There's something vaguely off-putting yet alluring about the opening notes for me. I was half-sick with momentary rage as I regretted my hasty purchase, but I should really learn from the past to be patient. I get a faint, almost masculinised note of neroli somehow, balanced with orangeflower and orris... yet mysteriously none of these are actually listed notes, Bizarre, as they seem quite distinctive to me.

In the middle we have a definite plummy rose with a very complicated collection of notes that seem older than they actually are. I don't quite get Poison, but I DO get a strong whiff of the early 1980's about the whole scent. This obviously came a decade too late or somehow stands in a time of its own.

This reminds me of another perfume I really like (but don't adore) - Mauboussin. It's the rose, plummy amber and background of incense that triggers a false memory. I keep waiting for that perfume's chocolatey notes to drift in, but of course they never come.

I shall wear this on days I want to feel sophisticated, warm and subtly sexy - in the way a well dressed business woman who knows her own worth is sexy. A subdued power.

I'm not sure I shall ever fall in love with it, but I am pleased to add it to my collection all the same.

Evin
Evin

I agree with tasha0705. It's an unusual, attractive and sexig perfume

megannsmom
megannsmom

I really was not expecting to like this scent; I had read the reviews and wasn't impressed. I also don't care for Poison,(I believe I overdosed on it in the 80's!) so the references to that scent made this one even less appealing. So it was with some trepidation that I tested #4; hmm....ok, I get the Poison reference, there is a heavy fruit thing going on here that does remind me of Poison. But #4 is much more refined and complex. The multitude of notes could be dizzying, but for me at least, they balance perfectly to create an aura of rich sophistication, confidence and yes, even happiness. A little goes a long way, sillage and longevity are excellent; I could still detect plummy flowers on my wrist the next morning!

honeypoppyseed
honeypoppyseed

While I love this scent, everyone seems to agree (at least in my life) that it is a bit mature.

I disagree, I feel the scent combo of plum, civet, and carnations, makes for a grape-wine like note... and that naturally has it's associations (at least for a younger audience) of more sophisticated/mature women.

Anyway it's precisely this grape tonality that I love about this fragrance. I think it's beautiful and gets ones heart pumping... at least if you are a girl like me. I love when I smell it and immediately think of painting and sweet tranquility.

Still... don't expect your boyfriend to love it.

Malegria
Malegria

Looking for an interesting clone of Poison, I tried this one, which I was told slightly resembles the latter. The top notes are not too bad - tingling and bittersweet, just what I usually like (and it really reminded me of Poison, just a bit though) - but then it starts to fall apart, like a child`s blocks tower - without even fully making it to the heart notes...It is probably just my skin chemistry. If you`re into bold, manifesto, strong florals, give it a try.

guest_EVA
guest_EVA

Der Duft ist sexpur es gibt nix besseres, seltenes, kostbares als JIL Sander N°4, da kann Coco, Obssesion, Opium und Co einpacken!

tasha0705
tasha0705

this is one of the most unusual perfumes, not everybody likes it and that's why I especially like it! I is a beautiful mixture, very intriguing, sweet,strong, one spray of it on your neck or your hand is enough to last you at least 4 hours, and more. It changes through time, so you fell as if you are wearing two or three different perfumes. Ideal for colder days, because it is a bit heavy, but it doesn't have that bitter note that stays in your nose and throat after you smell it, on the contrary! I would recommend this scent to those who wish to emanate an unusual,attractive and sexy aura

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Jil Sander Jil Sander No 4 fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Jil Sander Jil Sander No 4, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Jil Sander No 4 by Jil Sander. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Jil Sander No 4 by Jil Sander represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.